Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Leanna Holston and I'm Sienna Jacole, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time and are now watching films directed by women.
Speaker 1: This podcast is a safe palace for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching The Prince of Egypt. I shall teach you what to say.
Speaker 3: Is it just called Prince of Egypt? Prince of Egypt?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess warning there will be spoilers about this. I'd say biblical, but what does it mean? What's from the from the Talmud?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, you know, I don't know old film, how medical old film? I guess content warning for locusts, like torture of enslaves, Yeah, locusts and torture of enslaved people, but like, I don't know, mainly locusts. No, definitely, I'm so interested to talk about like the things that kids are used to.
Speaker 3: Seeing, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: It's like right and wrong, and so much about what you're learning. So they'll just show torture scenes. I saw my torture scenes abuse.
Speaker 3: Would you think of that way? But now that I'm an adult watching it, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, many atrocities. Yes, Sienna, had you seen this before?
Speaker 3: Well, let's do our predictions show.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sienna, could I please hear your prediction for Prince of Egypt?
Speaker 1: Yuh huh, High Leanna, this is Sienna. I'm about to watch the Prince of Egypt. I am sure I've seen this a bunch of times because I went to Catholic school.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it in a while.
Speaker 1: It seems like something we'd watch, like a rainy Day recess or like.
Speaker 2: Ray Day recess.
Speaker 1: Ye, it's in the library end a lot for an after school thing.
Speaker 3: I oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh I predict that Moses floats down the river in a basket and then he does all the Moses stuff and.
Speaker 3: Then is it a musical?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It seems like everyone's seen this movie, and I don't understand why, because did you all go to Catholic school?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: Let's see what it's all about.
Speaker 3: I love you, goodbye. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a dog that barked and it sounded like it was in my house, but it's it was like a neighbor's dog all jealous. Okay, Leanna, Well, I'd love to hear your prediction.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello, Sienna, na I grew up to watch The Prince of Egypt. I don't think I've seen this before, but I know Ray finds voice as a character in it. Perfect casting. Way to nail that, Disney not Disney. And there's a song about sending plagues because the Bible and I predict there's going to be a lot of frogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotter work. Okay, So how many times have you seen this movie? What's the relationship with seeing it?
Speaker 2: I think I've seen this once now total including now so yesir and then TikTok fed me. Well today, TikTok fed me a lot of the plague song over the past couple of years and clips.
Speaker 1: When you're in Catholic school or a religious space, this is one of the perfect ones for them to slap on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because God will punish you and they want you to learn that.
Speaker 1: I I, uh, well.
Speaker 3: Yes, first of all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, we'll have to talk about it more after we do. Okay. Hey girl, Yeah, hey girl, Hey girl, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Girl?
Speaker 2: It's been so humid here for like the whole week and my body is shutting down. No, I like it. It's it's altered me psychologically to the point that I'm like, I shouldn't exist as a human person. I have no worth as a person because I just feel so sweaty and hot and appealing all the time. Yeah, and I'm like, no one look at me. I will, I will not, I should not be I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: You really have an aversion to dampness. Huh.
Speaker 2: I'm not good with it. And as soon as it gets hot, I'm not good at that either. I'm not good at being a different temperature than the one that I like. And it's like the windows are cracked but there's no breeze, so it's just like still air. No, yeah, no, it's it ain't right.
Speaker 3: I'm on this podcast. We hate being too hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I ate too much trail mix. And now my stomach hurts, which happens every time. I always know it's gonna happen, but I do it anyway. I'm my father's daughter. He has the same thing with mixed nuts.
Speaker 1: It's hard to eat the right amount of a of a snack like that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 2: So now I have a tummy ache, and I'm I'm at that point where I'm about to start sweating, and that's where I permanently exist in this weather. I'm always just about to be clammy, Like you can't feel it or see it externally, but I.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Also very uncomfortable, comfortable, really uncomfort.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: I hate maybe it will be the only woman on the lineup, but it's not good tonight. And I'm like a sweaty I'm what they think women are, which is like ugly and stupid and bad.
Speaker 1: WHOA None of that was relevant to what you've been saying about being sweaty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very ugly and stupid and bad. When I'm sweaty and humid, I get really ugly, stupid and bad. I become a usb. I'm so uncomfortable. I don't know what to do. There's nothing to do. I just have to sit here. Anyway, when it was raining fire in the film, I understood, I was like, I know a bit about that.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. This is such a funny movie to watch when you're like not comfortable.
Speaker 2: This movie is not and it's in plague. The Old Testament is really a downer, well, Siena, Hey girl, hey.
Speaker 1: Girl, I'm about to get my hair done after this, which is again the opposite of what you're doing, which is going to an all male mic.
Speaker 3: Yay, my sister's.
Speaker 1: Gonna come with me and we're gonna chat with our hair lady. No, that sounds so nice, Okay. The one thing that worries me is when I scheduled disappointment, my hair looked very bad. Okay, so I was like, let's redo everything. I want to get highlights, I want to cut it.
Speaker 3: I want to whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now it's actually been looking pretty good because it finally go out to the right thing. And so I'm like, I probably do need a maintenance haircut so it stays so I can grow.
Speaker 3: Out how I want.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of room for error here, because if I don't explain what I want, yeah, then what I've been.
Speaker 3: Enjoying is gonna get worse.
Speaker 1: And I'm afraid now I already told her, like I had her book a lot of time so I could get all these highlights.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't really want to have like blonde hair when I leave there.
Speaker 1: That doesn't that's maybe I'll just wear an outfit that I've been wearing a lot and then go like, can you.
Speaker 2: Make this match the outfit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of like I wanted to.
Speaker 1: I've been wearing a lot of the same color scheme recently and I don't.
Speaker 2: So you're like, this is what I'm doing. Yeah, please get something that vibes with this. Yes, that's genius, thank you, because.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid that it's going to be really I'm going to get some really blonde streaks.
Speaker 3: In a way that I won't like.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also don't have as much of Usually I go for the highlights because my hair is sort of a color you can't quite catch, sort of target. You're like, I have red hair, make it more orange, make it vibrant red, make it more vibrant. But I'm sort of like, I don't really know. It's sort of that like German nothing color and so uh so I'm just like, make it look brighter or bigger.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But apologies again to the country of Germany.
Speaker 3: You know German brown hair that's sort of like.
Speaker 2: It's unnameable.
Speaker 1: A lot of you out there have it, and that's o color.
Speaker 2: You're forever chasing. Yeah, and like there's like maybe there's a rain for that color. In German, probably they have some sort of portmanteau.
Speaker 3: I call it your light brown.
Speaker 2: These days, I would not say, but you're so right. I've never had to describe your hair color, and I wouldn't know how to. I would say it's curly, but.
Speaker 1: For thank you, that's how the color is.
Speaker 2: Well, listener, if any of you know what Ciana's hair color is, please ride in, please tell us. Would walnut? Is walnut something? I think I just ate a lot of walnut.
Speaker 1: So maybe it's walnut or raisin. Well, Leanna, let's get through this, shall we?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's shall Sienna? Could you please give us a synopsis of I guess the old testing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of. I didn't want to do that, so sure.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Prince of Egypt, this is the Exodus story, which we all know.
Speaker 3: That's right, the second book of the second Book of.
Speaker 1: The Bible, the Exodus story, or part of it anyway, Egyptian Prince Moses iconically learns that he was adopted and came from Jewish slaves, who, as we might recall, and as he might recall, are the people treated like total crap by his Egyptian posse. He realizes this is wrong and embraces his roots and makes it his mission.
Speaker 3: To set his people free.
Speaker 2: Let my people.
Speaker 1: It starts with him as a baby getting sent down the river and ends with the very the second before he delivers the Ten Commandments.
Speaker 2: That was him. Yeah, I think, yeah, Oh my god, yeah, baby, Oh my god. I would not want to listen to that just after crossing the Red Sea. Oh my god, are you kidding? I'd be like, shut up, don't tell me what to do. I'm just I'm let me catch my breath.
Speaker 3: Emma, I was watching this with my brow.
Speaker 2: Shalt not kill you just killed like most of the Egyptian Guard.
Speaker 3: We were watching this with Emma.
Speaker 1: My brother's girlfriend too, is Jewish, and she said, it's so Jewish quote to uh be so hungry and but have to hear a bunch of rules before you're allowed to eat.
Speaker 2: Ah, Like, here's a bunch of new rules. Oh my god, hey, everyone, new rules, new rules.
Speaker 3: Alert It would be so annoying. Moses goes up, hold up.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank god we had Thank god that we had a Jewish perspective in the viewing of this because I was really curious.
Speaker 3: We were talking a lot about it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it's similar for her growing up in like Hebrews school and okay, yeah, yeah, well this would be great because we've got a Catholic.
Speaker 2: A Jew, and just like kind of a non person in me like I had, say, a Christian, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I forgot that doesn't No, you're right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we had a Catholic, a Jew, and a sweaty woman watching the film, and now let's hear the opinions of the three religions.
Speaker 1: Sorry, everybody, we need to take a moment for one of the plagues of twenty twenty five ad breaks.
Speaker 2: We'll right back.
Speaker 1: Nice well, Leana, shall we talk about our phone notes?
Speaker 2: Note, I'm so glad you're here. I'm so glad you're here to shepherd through this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I gotta tell you, Oh my god, I did not enjoy this.
Speaker 2: I I can't say that I felt uplifted by the end.
Speaker 1: It's so serious.
Speaker 2: I'd let it. Okay, let's get into it, Sienna Rude. Your first note is the animation actually looks so bad. Okay. My thinking was, I thought the animation looked really good.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Is that wrong?
Speaker 1: I think both things can be true, which is that you're probably like for at the time, it's actually pretty good just general.
Speaker 2: No, no, I was like, this looks so much better than today's animation because today's they really fortnited it, and I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I love two D animation. But to me, this I was frustrated because here's what I do not respect. All right, take number one.
Speaker 2: Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: So for example, uh, Emma, my brother's fiance, Yes, and my friend she's an example. She's a graphic novelist, and she's a person who has like a really clear style, like she could draw anything in her style, and I think that's amazing. I part of this is probably because I like to draw, but I can't do that, Like I couldn't create yea like a whole style packet for a show or for a movie or something. But I respect when they're able to give it a cohesive looking style. This movie, it felt like somebody just drew a bunch of different looking faces that don't go together at all and then tried to pass it off. Is that they'd done a good job and you can't fool me.
Speaker 2: I was just like, oh, Egypt at the time was super diverse.
Speaker 1: It just looked so stylistically huh, wow, I did did you?
Speaker 2: Oh question, did you watch the SD or the HD version?
Speaker 3: No idea, probably h I watched.
Speaker 2: I watched s d X. It was twenty cents cheaper. I think I didn't. I think that probably smoothed things really nice time.
Speaker 1: I bet it did, because they had all these weird three D stuff, you know, like when the the basket is going through the water and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, mine was great. Mine was very as it was meant to have. Really, I think that's good.
Speaker 3: That's nice.
Speaker 1: I definitely definitely appreciate the two D animation more. Yeah, it just felt so much like this movie wanted to be Hercules the whole time to me in terms of vibe, except for that they cut out all the there was nobody had like the charm that they had.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that you said that, because I thought that the High Priests were modeled off of Hades's uh huh little gargoyles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they felt completely similar, Leonna. You said, Okay, it's one hundred percent insane. They turned this story into an animated children's film. I just am like, was somebody did somebody ask for this? Because in today's day and age, I would think it was completely funded by a Christian organization.
Speaker 2: Mmm. Interesting, I just think they wouldn't this this, this would never get made today because everybody would be like, I'm not touching that. I'm not getting into all those different for Christians too many people. Yeah, I guess maybe a mega church would pay to get like a really eerie version of an animated film made.
Speaker 3: The number of genus?
Speaker 2: Is this contest is pushing still a Christian agenda?
Speaker 1: Yes, I explain because this is this is my perception, because they love any of the good boys of the Bible.
Speaker 2: The good Boys of the Bible, the g b o b uh. But it's a story about the Jewish people, right, But but the Christians are like Jesus. Yeah, yeah, Jesus was. And it's also part of this, Like a suit rich synagogue wouldn't pay to have this turned into a face.
Speaker 1: It's a good question.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'd have to, I'd have to ask our in house.
Speaker 2: I feel like Christians, though, are the ones who have to keep rebranding and being like, no, we're good.
Speaker 1: I also want to convert people.
Speaker 3: That's their whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not saying that there's not propaganda from every church.
Speaker 3: Right there definitely is. There definitely is.
Speaker 2: But from every religion.
Speaker 1: Christians in the US. Yeah, and like religious content, like they just they throw down, Oh Siena, you noted and thank you. All these white voices, Okay, an all white cast again for a tale set in ancient Egypt, a country famously in Africa. It was like, it's not just that the voices were white, and that's a whole big the conversation about whiteness and the original Caucasian, the Jewish culture.
Speaker 3: Okay, whatever, but again.
Speaker 1: Ancient Egypt, these are brown people, safe to assume. But on top of that, they didn't even choose They chose the whitest possible voices. Val Kilmer, Val Kilmer, Sandra Bullock.
Speaker 2: Girl, what were you doing in this? The songs in this were all bad? Oh what was that about? Usually the songs are good.
Speaker 1: I feel so gas lit by the fact that anyone talks about this film in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: Like it is a legitimate musical.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's only one good song, and it's the moment that the frogs are hopping out of the river.
Speaker 3: Which song was it?
Speaker 2: I send up pestilence and I just like, unfortunately it then gets wrecked by by two white boys singing at each other over that sit that sick beat.
Speaker 1: I thought more of the songs. There was so much potential for sick beats.
Speaker 2: Every song was bad for the opening lullaby was like, okay, fun use of perhaps like Egyptian themes, Egyptian musical theme. Yeah, nope, just ease white boys singing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, is this before they figured out the pizzazz that cartoons can have? But no, they're not doing it for decades.
Speaker 2: There's no was white voices, but not all white. Not everybody was a white voice. Let me not a race the people who are actually not white in Mulan, but also great songs exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you've got they did Aladdin and Aladdin has gotten.
Speaker 2: Away with I missed Aladdin watching this. I missed Aladdin because the desert.
Speaker 4: It's like it least it is objectively a careless portrayal of that region. But oh sure, yeah, but it's so fun that they've I still worked with it for a long time, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, how do we make this because they made it a fun time for people to watch all This movie was not lit. No, this movie was not lit. It was very serious.
Speaker 3: The songs did not slay.
Speaker 2: The song very dead.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said that because that's how I felt. And I was scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was scared. What's happening? Nothing is slaying.
Speaker 3: Nothing is slaying. People don't understand.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be slaying.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said crocodiles and hippos, best of luck baby. I recently was in New York City and I went to the.
Speaker 2: Med baby died. There's no way that baby lived. Yeah, keep going that baby was Moses. Yeah, but come on.
Speaker 3: A new one.
Speaker 2: That baby got flipped upside down by several crocodiles and hippos.
Speaker 1: This is why stories come to be, because somebody saw a baby floating down the river and then they're like, oh, yeah, I bet he became a prince. It's like you got even by hippo and one bite.
Speaker 2: When when that all happened. When the movie was over, I really wanted to ask, like, Okay, so what if all of that actually happened? We and do we know? And can we know?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know. Personally.
Speaker 1: We were talking about it because I'm like, well, it's kind of like a legend based on an actual sort of historical time, right, And Emma was like, I think it's even more like King Arthur, where it's like based on a an era slash genre that we can kind of click with, Like we know that there were slaves, there were people were enslaved in Egypt. Yeah, for sure, and sure this is sort of like a story about that, like this legend is placed in this Okay. I went to the met this year and I found out that hippos.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, tell me what is it? Oh my god, I love this. What you don't want to hear it right now? How they're everywhere?
Speaker 3: Egyptian? Egyptian?
Speaker 2: Now I'm trying, Yes, I want to hear about the hippos. Why haven't you told me yet? Tell me? Yeah, what is.
Speaker 3: It in Egyptians?
Speaker 1: Because in ancient Egypt, why, it was like overrun with hippos. There were literally so many hippos in the Nile. There were straight up I love that so many hippos. That's way too many hippos. Because I was, you know, it's like, oh, it's a it's a it's a sort of sacred.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: They have the Egyptian God. That's a hippo. I remember, they're revered for reasons because of their their strength and they're whatever. But it's also because there were.
Speaker 2: So many.
Speaker 1: For hippos, and so there was like a royal like to prove yourself as a prince, you always you have to kill a hippo.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I wouldn't. I wouldn't try. If you came face to face with a hippo, how would you go about I.
Speaker 3: Actually don't know. I think that's the thing about hippos.
Speaker 1: They're like, you don't you can't get away from that if you you see when.
Speaker 2: You're done kind of they're like, So I would maintain eye contact and I would back away very slowly, but I would not turn my back on a hippo.
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel like it's a respect thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I guess, first of.
Speaker 2: All, I wouldn't disrespect to hippo.
Speaker 3: That's a great point.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the most the safest thing you can do is just hop on its back if it runs at you.
Speaker 3: And try to write.
Speaker 2: They're so slippery, they are the most tire out the hippo.
Speaker 1: Dan's animal. They're slippery so you can't grab on. Yeah, they have super stronge, they're huge, couldn't have the bigger mouth. Weirdly fast, biggest mouth, and they're fine in the water. They're fast in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cute little ears which are disarmingly charming.
Speaker 3: And yeah, then they charm you.
Speaker 2: Moodang. Moodang is propaganda from big hippo.
Speaker 3: It's so true.
Speaker 2: What are they planning. They're going to come back. There's going to be as many hippos as there were in ancient Egyptian times.
Speaker 3: Leanne, I have to read some more of your notes.
Speaker 1: You said everyone loves to have a take on the sphink how the Sphinx lost its nose.
Speaker 2: If they're sphinc that includes the Sphinx. A director is gonna say, and of course will show how it lost its nose.
Speaker 3: Everybody loves that.
Speaker 1: Move on, everybody loves move on everyone.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. I don't want to see any more revisionist history about the Sphinx his nose. And I okay, that could be a vocal warm up for theater. Revisionist history about the Sphinx's.
Speaker 3: No revisionist history. Read the Sphinx's nose.
Speaker 1: Oh, Leanna, you said, may God protect you in an American accent in Ancient Egypt is so stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how the movie felt. May God stupid? What?
Speaker 2: Who is speaking? Shut up?
Speaker 1: When I first heard Sandra Bullock talk, I was like, Sandra, I love you so much, but get get out of here. Said, uh, I think this is.
Speaker 3: How a lot of the world feels.
Speaker 1: Leoni, you said ancient Egypt was so lit except for the slavery.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the vibe.
Speaker 5: That architecture was so gorgeous, the fash everybody was hot in my understanding, and that's true and confident that that's true as well.
Speaker 2: The hippos, so many hippos. I didn't go to the unprecedented numbers of hippos.
Speaker 1: I went to the Brooklyn Museum, which they have hippos there.
Speaker 2: They had, I understand, because they've got an Egypt section.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what they had an Egypt section two. Oh, unless I'm getting this wrong.
Speaker 2: Did you go to the zoo? Do you see a hippo at the zoo?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then I just guessed about all the other stuff.
Speaker 2: What so many of these back in the day. I love ancient Egypt minusless slavery. Yeah, it really seems like a really lit place except all the slavery.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said, my guys, you have to stop scything babies.
Speaker 2: Uh uh oh my god. An animated children's film, you see a soldier go into a home, hover over a cradle and take out a scythe and you say, whoa.
Speaker 3: This is why I'm like, was nobody in what way?
Speaker 1: Is this not funded as some sort of propaganda because all love to my Catholic education, not all love. Oh, like I think this did make me an interesting person, but all the like horrific torture and death stuff that you see, yea is definitely to put messages in your head about like age, right and wrong, what is right or wrong? But also there's a little bit of like this is what happened to people like us, or people who believed in things like people who have faith faith, or people who really care about like hm, you you know, like there's some sort of virtue to our faith because of this, this, this and this, you know, or like, h, there's some reason you want kids.
Speaker 3: To see these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, I forget where we are also watching this because I thought this was like a historical event, Like I thought Ramsey's was a guy and Moses was a guy, right, and everybody just got like a little metaphorical with the telling of the story. I was like, well, I guess that's what they were doing. So ye, you know, it's it's historically accurate.
Speaker 3: I mean, the.
Speaker 2: Probably, I guess they're going to show it, but the torture, it's not like I mean, I do believe even if not literally this happened, this kind of thing has happened. So I was like, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: No, that stuff I think is definitely what was happening. It just feels like they're not just showing like a spicific event. Obviously, we never see things like that about the way that slavery in the United States was actually enacted or anything, you know, like that would be useful information.
Speaker 3: But it's always about like.
Speaker 1: The ancient times of your religion that we want you to stay in and keep giving money to forever. Ooh, and that's the real tea and I'm all for.
Speaker 3: I think faith is a wonderful thing. I think there's so much value to it. But that's also part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just I was like, who's paying for this? But also you forget sometimes that religion has been very in for a very long time.
Speaker 2: For almost the US.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, for almost ever everywhere, but in the US, like it might have just been more of a thing even back in was it the nineties?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be to be like obviously everybody wants to see this because we all love the Bible. Yeah, Lehanna, you said Elmo Moses. Only now becoming aware of slaves is white people in twenty twenty, discovering racism tea we are?
Speaker 2: It was so like, my guy, have you considered looking out the way once? Ever?
Speaker 3: That's for now?
Speaker 2: You is this happens every day right in front of you.
Speaker 1: You're the royal architect, and they would build the stuff.
Speaker 2: It was very white people in twenty twenty. It is also at the times like just very suddenly being like hey, what whoa what's that?
Speaker 3: Do you guys have a problem with this?
Speaker 2: What's I can't believe this is happening. Oh my gosh, she would be happening. Did you know this was going on? Okay? Turning to the slaves, did you show that you're enslaved. Yes, if your husband came back from work and said, honey, I talked to a plant. The plant was God. God said I have to go fight the king. I'm leaving. What would you do?
Speaker 3: You would go, I don't believe you.
Speaker 2: About that, Okay. I would say, shut up and sit down and have some water. Have some water, and then I would call the police. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I would probably hear them out. I'd probably be like, please explain. I would say please explain, because I'd really hope that there was some explanation to why they're being cuckoo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say, where is the rest of the mushroom chocolate? And could I have some? Please?
Speaker 1: You said, oh, Moses is a shepherd. What's up with Moses and Jesus and why are they so similar?
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: Themes?
Speaker 1: First of all, I think people were shepherds for a long time a lot of places, So the.
Speaker 2: Shepherd's true forever.
Speaker 1: It's sort of there are themes throughout the whole Bible.
Speaker 3: These are all people who you.
Speaker 1: Know, had a relationship with God and did something important that led to our tradition going forward. Like we have the Ten Commandments, Thank you Moses.
Speaker 3: We have this covenant with God. Thank you Noah.
Speaker 2: Do you think that God sent the flood that Noah had to build the arc for because there were so many hippos?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: There were literally more hippos than we could imagine. Like imagine every time you go to the water there is there's like hip families of hippos. They were just like so populated there. They had to keep killing them. They're like, aha, like were so scared of hippos? So awesome? Uh, Leana, you said when they were writing the Bible, do you think they too giggled at burning bush? My bush is burning, My bush is burning.
Speaker 2: My bush is absolutely burning in this humid weather.
Speaker 1: Come on, a burning bush?
Speaker 2: Be serious.
Speaker 1: I don't think they laughed at that little bush, Oh my god. And by the way, this is where we get Yahweh. He's like, I am with you, Yahweh.
Speaker 3: Is that what ya means?
Speaker 2: Did he say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They're like, what wait, what's your name? Hey? Who am I talking to? And he's like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Yahweh And Yahweh is God? Yes, okay, I it means imagine me in religion class, okay, because it means I am.
Speaker 3: That's what we learned in religion class.
Speaker 2: I am, I am, Oh my God. Imagine, imagine Moses is talking to the burning bush and Moses is like, wait, who are you? And the burning bush goes, I am a yankee doodle dandy.
Speaker 1: I am a yankee doodle dandy yanke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how it goes. Yahweh a yankee doodle boy.
Speaker 2: That way is an acronym for is your bush burning? Mama, you're gonna want attend to that. You've got three minutes. We'll be right back. Oh, Sienna, you noted.
Speaker 1: The Angel left Death is like, mean, my God, you have death.
Speaker 3: By the way, is a big white wind that comes from comes from a big, big bright sun hole in the sky.
Speaker 2: That scene that was actually scary. That was quite scary.
Speaker 3: Scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way that it was animated was really unsettling.
Speaker 1: So this is the passover moment when it's like, listen, if you're with God, you're gonna put Lamb's blood.
Speaker 3: Over the baby sheep.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about them.
Speaker 1: And if you're not on the door, you're not gone.
Speaker 2: You will take your firstborn son.
Speaker 1: And the Angel of Death sweeps through anthropomorphically kind of peeks around here and there like Flubber.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was like Flubber to see. Oh my god, Flubber is the angel of death bouncing around? Do you think that Flubber is in some ways a reincarnation of all of the hippos that God drowned in the flood? And thank you for asking that Flubber is round? Yes, I Lubber is slippery.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you asked.
Speaker 2: I do think that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I think.
Speaker 2: I've always thought that, and it's really great to hear something else externalize it. I thank you for articulating myself.
Speaker 3: I do think that. So the angel of.
Speaker 1: Death, flubberly, yeah, bounces around and like we'll like look in. We'll literally like sniff around and check and then be like, oh, no, you do have blood on your door. I won't kill you, say, and then we'll turn and then every now and then we'll be like, I don't see any blood, sorry, swing in. We hear oh, and then a child is dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At one point, a boy walks in holding a pot and we hear the pot crash and his hand flies out.
Speaker 2: His hand slaps out of the door. It's so nuts dark, it was really nuts. Ci Ia, you noted about that. Wow, it's too bad. This song comes directly after all the children of the town die, the one that's like miracles happen once in a lot.
Speaker 1: That's what's so weird about religion, classes and stuff, because you never questioned that as a kid, and you get that was pretty ft.
Speaker 3: The consequence of.
Speaker 2: You, I get Rameses needs to end slavery in Egypt and should be punished if he doesn't. Okay, but killing children, Oh it just whoa, This is starting to sound familiar.
Speaker 1: It reads Oh no in the book, in a book, it reads so much it needs better because yeah, it's like because it's an old legend in a book, so yeah, it's like yeah, and so the angel of Death killed all the firstborn sons and then Ramses said okay, fine, you can go, you know, like the god punished him and then this happened and they celebrated. That all makes sense, but then trying to portray it with Sandra Bullock as a cartoon coming down and being like me, it has happened, Nah, like don't this is not the time.
Speaker 2: There was written in the pod that was really uncomfortable, like that I didn't like celebrating the suffering of it was just billions.
Speaker 3: It was just so directly after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, read the room borderline during like it was nearly overlapping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, you said, yay plague song a lot of frogs. By the time the plague song came on, I was so pissed about all the music that I was like, what's with all this chanting?
Speaker 3: I wish this was all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that was my favorite, but then unfortunately the two brothers sing over it, and I was like, stop, shut, I want to hear this plague chanting.
Speaker 3: Shut I send up pestil and send.
Speaker 2: It was a banger. All those frogs. Which of the forty plagues do you think would be your least favorite?
Speaker 3: Were they forty plagues?
Speaker 2: I thought, so, isn't that the thing?
Speaker 3: I thought it was treer than that, but I don't remember. Oh.
Speaker 2: I feel like the number forty is always the number. It is the number twenty days, forty nine plagues. Oh well, they could have come up with more.
Speaker 3: I love that, though they'd be like really like trying to.
Speaker 1: They're like, okay, so locus, okay, bug hippos.
Speaker 2: We can we can send every hippo you said, still a lot of hippos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, you said this tale hits specifically these days. Yes, misuse of power, yes, tormenting and killing people.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that was particularly like, oh my Jesus god, apt you was just naming the big guys was a world leader continuing to do harm to a population and ignoring the the damage that's doing to his own. So then everybody is suffering totally. Yeah, And it's like just his kind of ego and power and insanity. It's a great great driving bullies.
Speaker 1: Um hmm, Leanna you said, Leanna's final note just top it all off. We'll let you all sit and think about that, because it was it was very dark.
Speaker 3: Leon. Your final note is Ramsey's pal.
Speaker 1: You gotta let this one go, so to speak, you let just this one people go.
Speaker 2: Because the final shot, or one of the final things, is Ramsey's yelling across the city Moses. And I was like, my guy, just let it go. And then I realized what I'd said, and I said, if you touch me, maybe.
Speaker 1: Not what he's best at, maybe not the best.
Speaker 2: Something to work on, not a strength, but I endorse him with on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we move on to our next segment, yes, which is of course badges and trages, where we give badges for babies and baskets for babies, and baskets and tradges for a tyrannical enslavement Yeah of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I give that a trage for sure.
Speaker 3: Tyrannical of him to enslave them.
Speaker 2: He was being a tyrant. I have a badge for the spooky dogs. Okay, he has two of those really spooky dogs from Egyptian times, a cane, corso whatever dogs, and they were so cute. He was being so cute with them.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for his sandals. Later in the desert, when he very viscerally rips his sandal, that scared me. But he lifts up his sandal like, oh this damn sandal broke. He has a beautiful, little gorgeous like embroidery or something on the inside of Egypt or something. I don't remember what it was up, but it was gorgeous. Oh my gosh, I would love to have more art on the bottom of my shoes please.
Speaker 2: I have a I guess badge for not sugarcoating slavery. True, they made it so definitely showed that it was real badge. Yeah, they were not above the brutality of this despite it being a maybe kind.
Speaker 3: Of for kids question mark.
Speaker 1: My main badge for the movie is the parting of the sea is the best part in my opinion. It's really fun when you get to see the huge ocean go straight up because the water needs to go somewhere, and when they're walking through.
Speaker 3: And you get to see some life, yeah, swim by.
Speaker 2: There definitely should have been a hippo in that, yeah, swimming. It was probably mostly hippos in the Red Sea. My last badge is a badge for it is super metal. To turn the Nile to blood. That was so metal. Yeah, I said, okay, God, this angsty teen God.
Speaker 3: This is an god angsty story.
Speaker 2: God is rock and roll. Tragic moment, Oh my god. Trages, Oh a trage for it is so embarrassing that these are just two white guys Moses and Rameses.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Honestly, same with Steve Martin and Martin short as the that's who those were. Oh no, the gargoyles. I'm sorry they did not do a good job at that role. I see why they were like, oh a comedy duo. It felt like that improv Yeah, I have a trage for it's so serious. This is I remember not loving this movie as a kid, and I stand by it, but I was always confused because it seems like everybody else was excited about it, but it was always too serious for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just not fun. This ain't it? Oh trage for American accents at least do British. It was so so it sounds elevated.
Speaker 3: So American.
Speaker 1: Trage for They're playing with the big boys now is one of the worst songs ever.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it was happening.
Speaker 1: Was me my jaw, My jaw was dropped as I was watching, just how poorly I was waiting for it to become a song, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for it to have a beat, waiting for it to be fun. They just name a bunch of Egyptian gods in a way where its like, is the joke that you're doing the accent that you're like actually trying to pronounce it correctly, Which is the first time anybody's like acknowledged that this is actually true true?
Speaker 3: And then it was not.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I'm sorry everybody, I'm being such a hater, but I hated this.
Speaker 3: I hated that song. Well.
Speaker 1: Watching I felt gas lit like I was supposed to be enjoying this, as if this was the comedic relief, the comic relief, but it was not.
Speaker 3: It was bad. It was bad.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, that song sucked.
Speaker 3: Thank you for agreeing. Oh my god, it makes me feel so much better.
Speaker 2: Uh. Two trage is in a row that are very relevant. Trade for this did not need to be a musical and a trage for this song sucks, which I was talking about a different song. I was talking about his like hero song of like oh my life, I wanted to whatever blah.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah blah blah. My final two trages are also related there. I said too much chanting, because I think they relied on They're like, okay, this is like they're feeling it, like this is sort of a tribe that they're like expressing together. We'll just have them sort of like chant sing. But I think they relied on that too much, and it was just like.
Speaker 3: Again, Uh. I think it was Emma who said.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm really quoting her a lot for this, but it was like, what they were trying to make sound sort of ancient came out as just dissonant and boring. Oh and that's how it felt to me. So my final trage is just for the music. Dot dot dot question.
Speaker 2: Mark, Yeah, what happened? What went on there?
Speaker 3: What did happen?
Speaker 1: My prediction is that he was writing Wicked at exactly the same time, and so he just had to like write this in one night.
Speaker 3: Because Wicked ate, but this does not eat.
Speaker 2: Wicked was very good. This sucked a trage for God is also a American man. I think it's awesome. I think it was Val Kilmer. That's so embarrassing. What an ego? Wait, you go, you see a bush. It talks to you in your own voice, and you're like, I heard God, Oh my god, someone slap him. Eo boo.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. That's so funny. Every guy who tells me about the screenplay he's writing. Literally, I went, I heard my own voice and it was gone.
Speaker 2: I had an idea for this sketch. I think it's really funny. Do you want to hear it? Well, you're going to fuck off A trage for the music they play while God is turning the nile to blood was not right. It was very like, yes, it needed to be like.
Speaker 3: Listeners.
Speaker 1: By the way, just so you know, Leona put up both her hands in the sort of rock what is this rock and roll? Okay, we just found out that when you do that on Apple, it makes lasers that happen behind you.
Speaker 2: And my final tragedy is this movie is long, not literally, but it felt long. I it was long.
Speaker 1: I'm didn't like I have no allegiance to this film. It was they did a bad job. I think I just genuinely think they did a bad job.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you could do a good job with this.
Speaker 3: This shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: An animated movie, a little more charming.
Speaker 2: It's like a crazy story to be like, hey, kids gather around.
Speaker 1: I think they needed to commit to the remember when.
Speaker 2: You were a baby? Well, imagine that there's a scythe and an angry soldier holding it.
Speaker 3: The fuck they couldn't decide the tone. It was no good.
Speaker 1: Um okay, Leanna, let's move on to our next segment, which is how to pretend you've seen this film.
Speaker 2: This is more you are herding your sheep.
Speaker 3: You're hurting your sheep. Come on, come on here, and God.
Speaker 2: Is that okay? You're okay with that?
Speaker 1: God yells at you in the voice of Jeff Goldblim, Jeff gold who was in this for no reason, maybe the only Jewish person that we hear about, and he says.
Speaker 3: Ah, isn't that what he does?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, yes, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of hurting sheep over there.
Speaker 3: That reminds me of a movie that remember I was in.
Speaker 1: I was in as a little character named Yahweh, And.
Speaker 3: I'd love to tell you about it.
Speaker 1: If you haven't minute, we can talk about it together.
Speaker 2: And in order to extinguish this bush, we're going to give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Prince of Egypt.
Speaker 1: Well, I have the best piece of true about this movie, which I think many of us know. This was the film that DreamWorks was making and focusing on.
Speaker 3: Have you heard this? And that.
Speaker 1: When an animator would mess up on this film, when they were getting like punished and taken off the project, they would be sent to work on another movie that was going on that nobody wanted to work on because it wasn't supposed to be as like successful or exciting and it was a movie called Shrek uh, and so it was called being shreked O.
Speaker 2: God, from you got shrekeed.
Speaker 1: You were sent from Prince of Egypt to Shrek, and thus Shrek was born.
Speaker 3: And it's so much more memorable than this.
Speaker 2: Wow, it shaped a generation. Oh my god, Yes, God, I've seen Prince of Egypt. You know that baby, the way that they animated him, his face, he looks. That baby has the face of an That baby looks like he owns a railroad in the nineteenth century.
Speaker 3: A face like a railroad owner.
Speaker 2: I mean, no wonder they took him in. They were like, I think this guy knows about oppressing the worker.
Speaker 3: You can tell in his face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that baby up out of a basket, I could tell you new how to oppress some people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, love that baby.
Speaker 1: Yes, God, I have seen the film Prince of Egypt. The four minute parting of the Red Sea sequence took ten animators two years to complete. No, and also, Steven Spielberg insisted that the film end on Moses carrying the Ten Commandments. That's fine, what that makes sense? Why do you have to insist so much? What do people want? Ah?
Speaker 2: Yes, God, I've seen Prince of Egypt. There is one line in it that was very a huge mood, which is when Moses says, I've done nothing in my life worth honoring. Hello, Hello, I felt that my sweaty ass felt that this week I have swamp ass.
Speaker 1: I just swamp ass is real. Yes, God, I have seen the film Prince of Egypt. One reason why Val Kilmer was selected to play God was because the filmmakers liked the idea that God was acting as Moses's inner voice in order.
Speaker 2: To guide to God jimminy cricket ass. Yes, God, I've seen the Prince of Egypt. You know you said something in that movie when you've said I am that I am, that had the exact same energy as when in Succession, cousin Greg is testifying in front of Congress and says, if it is to be said, so it be, so it is. Oh my God, Siena, let's let's ride a hip bow into our next segment. Should you watch this or in which we tell you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something anything else with your time.
Speaker 3: I have the perfect answers.
Speaker 2: Oh I do too, Okay, what's yours?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My perfect answer is you do not need to watch this film. I'm sorry, this film is lame. I would say, if you want to get a childish, if you want to get some of the stories of the Bible, because sometimes it's nice to just see them because nobody wants to read that, but you could watch Veggietails. They sum it up a little Vegietails, which also is sort of that that's really making it for kids right there. And if you want to get the like sort of ancient pizzazz vibes that they seem to really want to give with this, watch Emperor's Groove ancient pizzazz. It is so good and it's so filmy, so enjoyable. It's it's the opposite of this in vibes. This is like serious, turgid and lame. Thisg and it's just such a good movie.
Speaker 3: It's so fun. Boom Baby, they wanted most boom Baby.
Speaker 1: Boomy Baby'd be very Reverend Leanna, what about you.
Speaker 2: That's true, I would say, if you don't watch this, if you are looking for something that includes ancient Egyptian mythology and at least some actual Egyptians, you should, and in fact must, watch the series Moon Night perfect, the best thing. It's one of my favorite TV shows and it was one glorious season that was never going to be renewed ever.
Speaker 3: And I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it so much. And the hippo is in it. The hippo goddess is in it.
Speaker 3: It was a cool little series.
Speaker 2: Poet, I think that's her name.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, baby boom, baby boom, Cianna, what would you rate the film Prince of Egypt?
Speaker 3: Odd?
Speaker 1: Guys, they did not do a good job. Whatever teamwork was happening, didn't.
Speaker 3: It didn't give I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and well everybody kept getting shrecked.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I give this like one locust out of five mm.
Speaker 3: I just didn't.
Speaker 1: I just And also some of my dislike distaste for this movie comes for the fact that I had to keep watching it as a kid, and I was always like, really that guy. Nothing against Moses, but this movie did not light me up.
Speaker 3: Leanna put about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, I too would give Prince of Egypt one hippo out of millions the billions that were in ancient.
Speaker 1: And Egypt they wish out of five.
Speaker 2: Moses was really hot, but it was so so wrong, and none of the songs slapped in the way that we all know they could have. Yes, exactly, and it was confusing and shouldn't have been an animated film. This should never for children, This should never have happened. But again, at least they were like slavery was really bad. It's really horrible to treat people this way. So one hip of well, all right, praise be thanks everybody, get it.
Speaker 1: We just listened to Prince of Egypt. Sorry, if it's your fave, I think you can rewatch it because.
Speaker 3: It was not good.
Speaker 2: Revisit that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. We are at Toss Popcorn. You can find us at toss Popcorn on Instagram dot com, where we post a little means and posters that we do that are fun for us. And then you can find us on patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn, where we give reviews of movies that are modern today and you can see our faces for better and next week when we will be watching Oh please, can we watch Trek Shrek? Yeah, don't care if our watch of Shrek is just Leanna saying don't get a whole the time, don't care, laugh, don't care.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We love you bye, don't care, don'tky. You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for.
Speaker 3: The spelling of our dumb names.
Speaker 1: We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What noise do you think of hippo makes? Okay? Okay, I'll try growl does it?
Speaker 3: What does it do?
Speaker 2: I'll try noise of hippo makes?
Speaker 3: Don't care? Hm hmmm, why did I expect that? Don't get.
Speaker 2: Two thousand Scottish hippos.
Speaker 3: Don't get, don't get, don't get, don't good, don't get. And the Egyptians were so scared.