Speaker 1: H what what what? What? Behind the bastards? Oh my god, it's a podcast about the worst people in all of history with me Robert Evans, the worst podcaster in all of history.
Speaker 2: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: There's there's definitely worse and the Yeah, sure, I could think of several.
Speaker 2: I like, off top, there's definitely way worse.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good. I finally uh uh got you to got you to praise me on air, Sophie.
Speaker 2: That was all wonderful.
Speaker 1: That was it. That was the long con.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you're not the worst one. Congrats? Yeah, yeah, what pride praise?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that. I really feel good. I'm definitely ahead of the guys at the Serial Vapists podcast.
Speaker 2: Is that a podcast?
Speaker 1: It was a podcast. It was one of the back when we were all still working at Crack. I like after I because the first podcast I listened to was like a hardcore history or something. I was like, oh, this is kind of neat, and I was just like fucking around. I think I think it was looking for Cereal because people had told me Cereal was a good podcast, and like underneath Cereal popped up another podcast, The Serial Vapists. I've talked about this on air before, but it is like some guys who lived in like North Carolina and just like drove to local vape shops and reviewed them.
Speaker 2: And reviewed a vape shop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so funny.
Speaker 2: That's so great. Also, Katie Stoles here, everyone.
Speaker 1: Hey, Katie Stole, one of the best podcasters.
Speaker 2: Agree agree?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I wouldn't, but that's for my therapist and idol Unpack.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Katie Stole. You and I used to, uh used to work together on a podcast that is currently legally condemned by eleven US states. So while we while we get through the litigation, how's your deposition, By the way.
Speaker 3: I'm not at liberty to say right, right, of course, of course, fucking crushed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh good, oh good, oh good. Sanders really tore me apart on the stand. So that's that's nice to hear. Katie. How do you feel about yoga?
Speaker 3: I am so glad you asked. I'm gonna get some hate for this, I know it. Not a big fan, not a fan of yoga. I know.
Speaker 1: You're so graceful. I would have assumed, Oh, thank.
Speaker 2: You, I do. My body lends itself to yoga.
Speaker 3: I've got open hips, like I can do all the positions and stuff.
Speaker 2: It frustrates me.
Speaker 3: Yoga does which probably is a suggestion that I should do it. But holding a pose makes me angry. And somebody might say, maybe somebody we talk about today, that there's some energy moving through me.
Speaker 2: But it makes me angry.
Speaker 1: People say there's energy moving through you. Guys.
Speaker 3: Know, there's something about yoga that it's I I always would go to it saying I should do this, and I dropped dropped that completely drinking the pandemic. I also have a little bit of an issue with how nobody understand like there's there's all sorts of understanding. There's different types of yoga, but in La it's very much a yoga culture. Yeah, and uh and they're always selling something and you got to wear your outfits and all this stuff you don't gotta but you know, uh so I I have a bad taste in my mouth with yoga currently, and.
Speaker 1: Katie, that is not going to change today because we are we are talking this week about two different yoga conmen. For you know, I should I should say my part. I've done a decent amount of yoga in my life, I used to do it. I used to do it like every single week. Sometimes I do like a video. Sometimes i'd go to a class. When I lived in La I would do you know, I did Bickram from time to time, who we'll be talking about in their second episode this week. And I like it, like I don't like as a general rule, I hate exercising around other people. It's part of why, Like as soon as I got a house, like I built myself a gym. I don't do like yoga regularly, but like I do like these days, I do particularly like a lot of hollow bodies and planks because I hurt my lower back in Iraq a couple of years back and ever since then, Like if I don't I find if I don't do a bunch of both of those things like every single week, like my back starts to fucking seize up on me. So I value like the the health benefits you can get, which I think are undeniable, that there are like significant potential health benefits to yoga. It is probably worth noting that, like you can also seriously hurt yourself doing it if you're not like careful. But all of that is kind of beside the point, because we're not talking about like the merits of yoga is exercise. I canch again that yeah, yeah, it can be great. We're talking about yoga as a thing that khan men gravitate to, which which should not be read as like us, we're not we're not trying to cancel yoga if you like yoga.
Speaker 3: Also, I just need to chime in again and say, like, yes, even though I started off with the rant about yoga, it is objectively beneficial, especially for depending on your body and your physique with anything you have to do.
Speaker 1: Go to the right that all exercise has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but but yeah, uh.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's that's where we are. That's what we're talking about today. Again, one way or the other, We're going to take a lot of shit online for this stuff. But like I do want to make it clear, there's no we're not talking about like we're not trying to like blow up yoga. We're not trying to like, uh reveal the evil that's behind stretching and ship in a group of people. It's just that yoga, like everything else in American culture, lends itself to conmon and cult leaders. Yeah, exactly, right, It's not different than like politics or religion, you know, it's this is just another yet another thing that lends itself to comment and cultists, and they're they're different type kinds of common and cultists. Yoga cult leaders are a special breed and and we're talking about two of them this week. So yeah, I before when I was kind of figuring out how to put these episodes together, I kind of briefly flirted with giving like an overview of like the entire long history of yoga. But to be honest, like there's so much debate by people who study it about like how exactly to describe the evolution of yoga as a discipline, And I am not one of those historians, So I feel like I would fuck it up if I tried to go into too much detail that about that I am going to give, you know, what I think is kind of like the briefest accurate description of like what yoga was historically. Yoga is the right approach for sure. Yeah, yeah, because it's it is complicated well, and.
Speaker 3: Also it's part of what's gross about it when I talk about la yoga culture is just people not understanding what they're talking about in terms of the history or like, yeah, you know, the spiritual nature of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, continue, Yeah, Well, because yoga, as you know, when people in La who have like got their four hundred dollars Lululemon like outfits or whatever, talk about yoga that thing, right, the yoga that you will experience if you type yoga into Google Maps and rock walk into like the nearest store, right, that's like one hundred years old, right, arguably significantly less. Obviously a number of the different kind of moves that you do, the different kind of stretches and stuff, are much older, and some of the concepts are much older. But like yoga as as we kind of talk about it is a fairly new thing now. Obviously, there's also a yoga that goes back much much further. The earliest yoga teachings are kind of a mix of philosophy and like different sorts of breathing styles and kind of health rules. You can you can kind of compare some of them to sort of the you know, in the Bible, the Old Testament. You've got these rules like donate you know, cloven hoofed anim or whatever. Like it's it's kind of some stuff like that too. Alongside in one kind of branch of yoga asanas or like postures. Right, development of what became yoga probably started around like fifteen hundred BC. A lot of it is like kind of like fifteen hundred BC to five hundred BC is sort of like the earliest period of yoga. I think generally agreed to be. Hey, everyone, Robert here, just wanted to clarify. If you look into this, A lot of people will talk about, you know, the origins of yoga dating back like five thousand years, which is obviously a bit older than fifteen hundred BC. You know, it depends on kind of what you're talking about. The term, you know, the word yoga is much less old than that, broadly speaking, without kind of getting into or taking aside because that's certainly not my place, it's it's worth looking. You can look at kind of yoga and all of the things that sort of around it and fed into it. Well, there's not really a clean start date. Something that's brought as old in its earliest origins is like Judaism, Right, it's in that ballpark at least.
Speaker 2: I actually am surprised that's so long ago.
Speaker 1: It's so but it would not be it's nothing like again, it's not like what you get right when you walk into a store. It's like a series of different like meditation or like like like philosophical like discussions.
Speaker 2: And I really shouldn't be surprised, but it was like.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, yeah, it's not like stretching and stuff, right, it's much it's like kind of a philosophical, spiritual like set of like teachings and stuff, probably the most influential. And there's a bunch of different branches, right, So like like if you were in you know, Northeast India right talking about and someone were to say, around like five hundred BC talk about yoga, they might mean something very different from somebody who's like, you know, in Bombay or whatever, Mumbai. That's just like there were different sort of like branches or schools of yoga. And the school of yoga that was kind of most influential to what people in Los Angeles mean when they talk about yoga is called Hatha yoga, which was heavily influenced by Buddhism. Several of the earliest Hatha texts, which date from around a thousand a d or so, focus on the preservation of vital force This is often embodied by semen or minstrel fluid, which was believed to like drip out of the body, so there's some like retention of like, you know, vital fluid stuff in there. Hatha yoga translates most directly to the yoga of violence or force, But the violence there does not mean like not like beating people up or whatever. It's the forceful fusing of opposites, or at least that's how the book Hell Bent by competitive yoga guy Benjamin Lore, that's how he explains it. Quote. The violence of the violent yoga comes primarily from the method used to achieve these results, the forceful fusing of opposites. It's an ideal embodied in the sanscript named Hatha, where stands for the solar masculine energies and thaugh for the lunar feminine forces, and reiterated throughout all Hatha practice. But it is perhaps best appreciated by the knats, which is like kind of the guys doing hatha yoga. Principal innovation postures or bending the body into forms. Prior to the medieval rise of Hatha yoga, standing contortive postures simply did not exist. In yoga, the word asana was present. However, it was used almost exclusively in the etymological sense as seat or throne. The asana practices described in pre Hatha Yogic literature were meditative postures, firm and stable positions, thrones from which to contemplate existence. Right. So, initially, this is the kind of asanas is referring to, like, this is how you sit while you're doing these meditations on these kind of spiritual things. In the medieval period, when Hatha yoga, you know, becomes a branch of sort of the different sort of yogic disciplines or whatever, this expands from just sort of like a meditative posture to something closer to what we would recognize if we walk into a yoga shop.
Speaker 3: La.
Speaker 1: Right now, Hatha yogi's are kind of religious wild men, right, And this is a thing. This is a big thing in India. Actually, you get like people kind of play acting like this, and certain particularly like Pentecostal disciplines in the United States, but like, India is a place I've spent a decent amount of time. When you're in certain cities particularly, you'll see these like crowds of dudes called Sadhu's who are these Like, I mean, they're effectively like kind of wild roving priests. They'll have these like long like often like down to their feet, dreadlocks, and beards that are like painted and these bright like orange colors, and they some of them engage in like these really like in public and stuff. These really like physically like this is like the laying on beds of spikes kind of stuff, right, yeah, like yeah, yeah, these kind of like very demonstrative acts of like intense physical demonstrations and whatnot that are kind of showing their level of mastery and stuff that they have over their body or whatever. Like this is a constant that goes that is kind of like very common all throughout different kind of Indian religious traditions. And the Hatha Yogi's were one of like the earlier examples of this. Uh. Their yoga included kind of what would sound to modern people like it includes kind of a peculiar variety of health acts. One of the things they would do was suck water up through their anuses to perform in a self nima. Yeah, like self animas or a thing. I mean, I don't know how to do that, Katie, but that's a thing they would do. They would like they supposedly they would teach that the UK.
Speaker 3: I almost did, but I did it, But I did do it. Put a marked out on my notepad to look at it later.
Speaker 1: They would also do stuff like they would teach people that if you, if you, if you could drink the middle third of your urine stream, it would destroy diseases of the eyes or or give you the ability to do claravoyance. And this is again thistually not uncommon. There were a lot of different cultures were like some degree of drinking urine was something that people that was like a part of traditional medicine. And there's a number of meso American groups who were like mix urine with tobacco or whatever. Oh yeah, it's like it's a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was taken aback by by what did you say?
Speaker 2: Mid stream?
Speaker 3: So it's the beginning, the middle of the stream, Yeah, the middle third collected or do you bend over?
Speaker 1: And you know I didn't for me to go, I should have. I should have looked that one up further. And I do apologize for you.
Speaker 2: You know what, this is my bad.
Speaker 3: I don't need to get a hung up on the specifics here.
Speaker 1: This is this is kind of as far as I can tell, you wouldn't go wildly amiss and kind of looking at this the way that most Americans look at like snake handlers in the Pentecostal tradition, where it's like, this is not it's not like nobody follows these guys or like nobody thinks that these guys you know, have something to them, And in fact, a decent number of people probably think, you know, these folks have are right about a number of things, but they're also they're kind of fringe, right, this is not the Hatha Yogis are not like the most mainstream chunk of the Yogic discipline. They're not. They're like they're they're kind of seen as weirdos at the time by a lot of people, right.
Speaker 2: And the way I can get that, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the same way like a lot of monks, you know, we're seen traditionally is like, you know, maybe we think they're holy, but they're also a little exactly right.
Speaker 2: It's not that you're like disrespecting them.
Speaker 3: They're there, but it's not representative of how everybody is moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Hatha Yogi's engaged in acts of extreme religious estheticism, like chaining themselves in place for days at a time or sleeping on beds of nails. They were often seen and kind of treated something like wizards in old medieval folklore. Right, they're they're dangerous and they're generally to be avoided, but they also possess potent knowledge, and so maybe you'd go to one of these guys. Maybe most of the time you would kind of want to keep your distance because they're weird and like kind of off putting, but like you get like your kid gets sick or something, maybe you go to them hoping that they know something right, because they're seen as sort of possessing this knowledge that can be useful to people who are who are desperate. Now, when the British take over, the new Raj has no place for anything as strange or as uncontrollable as Hatha yoga, it's practitioners became outlaws, banned under a law restricting miscellaneous and disreputable vagrants, which is also an interesting an accurate description of everyone we hire here at Cool Zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it is so ah interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Cody, let's be fair.
Speaker 3: I know, yep, I was thinking that too, and our whole team everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yoga was much wider as a discipline than just Hatha, and many Hindu monks still embraced kind of different branches of what many of them Yoga is often considered by these guys, they think talk about it like a science, right, that consider it to be a science, And so I think it might be accurate to say that, Like if you were to like talk to one of these yogis, you know, from like the sixteen, seventeen, eighteen hundreds and show them a bunch of like people doing modern day what we call yoga in La and be like, this is yoga. It would be like walking up to a scientist with an eighth grade biology textbook and being like this book is signed, like this is all science, Like this book is what science is. Like, well, no, that's one example of it, but like there's a lot of other things involved in the jay. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also what we see is probably unrecognizable to them for sure. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in eighteen ninety three, a Hindu monk who came to be known as Swami Vivekananda was born to a wealthy family in Calcutta, which was the capital of the British Raj He became a disciple of a mystic rama Krishna and took monastic vows right before his teacher passed on, Which is kind of a story you hear a lot among these sort of like guru type guys, is like they'll have this teacher, they'll follow them, and like when that teacher's on their deathbed, they'll make some sort of like vows and stuff in order to carry on their work. Vivid Cananda traveled the country for five years before deciding it was his karma to go to the United States and spread an understanding of the Hindu faith. The best place to do that in eighteen ninety three was the World's Colombian Exposition in Chicago. Back in the day before we had TikTok and Twitter to teach us about foreigners and various kinds of grindset, people held massive fairs every few years to get an idea of what was happening in the world. Right that was your TikTok. Because you'd show up in Chicago or New York. They'd build a bunch of like dangerous fire hazard buildings that looked pretty from a distance, and you'd look at some like Frenchman show you new cannons that were about to massacre people in Africa.
Speaker 3: It's like a mash up of TikTok and burning Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, Yeah, TikTok, burning Man and like a Raitheon arms fair. Yeah, that's the that's these expositions.
Speaker 3: Honestly, this feels much healthier just to get it all done at once, Yeah, and just do all was and then.
Speaker 1: The rest of the time you don't have to deal with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see Andrew Tait one week and then he dies in a structure fire like it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's much more tolerable to me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so yeah, these were basically early trade shows, except the industry was the human race, and as a result, the Colombian Exposition had a World's Parliament of Religions, which was an inner faith conference with the noble goal of making Americans less chauvinist about their weird brand of Protestantism. Now a bit of a legend has grown up around this guy and this this meeting at the World Parliament of Religions that says that he kind of announced to the crowd at the Parliament that he considered them sisters and brothers of America, and he was met with rivers of applause, and he used this momentum from this meeting to go on this successful lecture tour where he sold a bunch of books, and he like spread Eastern mysticism all around the United States for the first time, and he even opened several branches of like a mission on US soil. Pieces of this are true, but painting vi Cananda's speech as an unqualified success leaves a lot out, As this write up by Philippe de Slip makes clear, the approval given to Vivid Cananda at the Parliament in Chicago was not unique to him. However, in the account of the Parliament published by its president, John Henry Barrow's applause was also freely given to the other speakers as part of the self congratulatory spirit of the parliament, and Vivid Cananda did not just receive praise at the Parliament. Barrows also noted that very little approval was shown to some of the sentiments expressed by Vivid Cananda in his closing address. Vivid Cananda's subsequent lecture tours drew curiosity and interest, but also some hostility. In a letter to one of his American students in eighteen ninety seven, Swami Vivid Cananda described himself as a much reviled preacher in the United States, which I don't think is surprising, right that Americans not at all would meet their first Hindu like religious leader and be racist, right like that, that's not shocking, you know, I like.
Speaker 2: This seems yeah to be expected.
Speaker 1: He it's the eighteen nineties.
Speaker 3: Or I'm surprised with the idea that he was a raving success that immediately as a very successful book tour, lecture tour.
Speaker 2: I mean I was like, wow, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I'm kind of surprised nobody tried to assassinate him. Like that's better than I would have guessed from Americans in the eighteen minutes.
Speaker 2: So he made it out of there a lot.
Speaker 1: He made it. You know what, I might raise that flag up on my flagpole today, America. Sometimes we're slightly less racist than you'd think. You know what else is less racist than you'd think, Katie?
Speaker 3: Oh h h.
Speaker 2: What what Robert?
Speaker 1: I can't beget products and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 2: Absolutely obviously, Katie. Yeah, yes, sometimes anyway, yeah, sometimes.
Speaker 1: Ah, we're back and uh yeah, better than ever or more or less the same as ever either way. So well yeah, despite the predictable distaste that many Americans felt for him, Vivid Cananda's teachings on Indian religion and mysticism had a signific I should say on the Hindu religion and mysticism because it's this is actually a big problem. Like a huge number of Indians are are Muslim. I don't want to be. And also you know there's like not just Muslim in Hindu. I don't want to be. Like the Indian religion is Hinduism. That's a big problem today. But like he is talking specifically about like the Hindu religion, Hindu mysticism, and his teachings on that topic have a significant impact on what you might call early American seekers. Even at that period of time, there was widespread interest in the East and alternatives to kind of the same old Judeo Christian clap trap that seem to a lot of people in this period to be kind of dreary and lacking in avenues to pursue self fulfillment. Right. Part of what's happening in this period is that Christianity has not caught up to modernity, right, and so people are experiencing this rapid advance in science, but like they're still basically worshiping kind of in the same way they would have in teen seventeen hundreds. And folks are like, well, this kind of seems boring as shit, right, especially folks who are like, you know, upper middle class or wealthy. Right, it's just not as exciting to those folks into like intellectuals as this guy Vivid Cananda coming in and talking about this like weird new religion they've never heard anything about. Of particular interest to these early seekers was yoga. Now, Vivi Caananda was a not a big believer in Hatha yoga, nor was he teaching asanas to like large groups of people. He's not leading like what you know again, what we would recognize in the modern terms, like yoga sessions. But he did mention various practices that were part of yoga. Although at the time there was kind of fairly little agreement about what yoga was. Vivid Cananda spoke about it mainly as a philosophy of self improvement and often as dietary guidelines too. I'm gonna quote from Filipe again here. His published lectures in the United States are flooded with the word power, and in one of them he enjoins his listeners to stand as a rock. You are indestructible. Not unlike in immobile Rock vivid. Cananda's approach was devoid of the flowing sequences of asanas or postures that are now commonly associated with the practice. So while he avoided talk of hatha yoga in public, he did speak more openly about it to his close followers. He admitted to them that in eighteen ninety he'd gotten interested in it as a solution for his health, but had backed away from his studies after his master admonished him to audiences he called hatha gymnastics and queer breathing exercises. But in private, over the years he taught small groups of students a handful of different poses. Right, So this is kind of a thing that maybe he was a little bit lukewarm on. There was some stuff he found interesting. So when he's got these more dedicated groups of practitioners, he'll walk them through some poses. He'll do probably the very first like yoga sessions like in the United States, But in public when he's doing is bigspe he doesn't really talk about this other than to kind of broadly mention like, ah ye, and some people do this, you know. Vivid Cananda's time in the United Slime States marks, according to religious studies lecturer Suzanne Newcom, a turning point in how Indian religiosity was understood outside of India. In the decades to come, the profile of such teachings would be raised again by a wave of immigrants to the United States, many of whom came to work dangerous jobs on railroads. The government was loathed to give them civil rights, and so many of them wound up itinerants, wandering around the country and dispensing spiritual advice, because like, what else are they going to do? Right, There's not a lot of gigs, you know. One prominent American writer in nineteen thirty eight referred to these people as traveling salesmen, writing that every winter we can find advertisements of the appearances of yogis in the cities of the East, and during the spring and the summer they work the back places. But by the end of the nineteen thirties, a revival of hathapractices in India had brought a wider knowledge of the asanas to the United States. Gradually, many progressive Americans started to view yoga not as some sort of foreign magic but as a physical exercise and kind of That process is pretty steady over like a twenty year period or something like that, but there are some hiccups in it. And probably the biggest hiccup in like the road to yoga being seen as respectable is the life and career of an American named Pierre Arnold Bernard. He's probably the first man to get rich off of yoga in the United States, and of course he is a white dude, right, it makes sense that the first guy to get fucking loaded from yoga in the US is a white guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's another thing that's absolutely not surprising, not all disappointing.
Speaker 2: I was, I mean I was.
Speaker 3: I had to hope that Vivi Canando was going to be the person who got rich and was a bastard.
Speaker 2: But that's not the way.
Speaker 3: This is. No.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I don't think he is. I don't think like. I don't I don't think he was like broke from doing what he was doing. But he does not seem to have bit like I don't.
Speaker 3: Actually wish that in any capacity, but unsurprising that this is enter the white Man, the.
Speaker 1: Inter the white Man. Yeah, this is our first yoga Grifter. Born Perry Baker in eighteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: He met he changed his name to Pierre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sure did. He sure did. This is before nine to eleven. It was good to be freaky.
Speaker 2: Thank you for noticing that, Katie.
Speaker 1: Born Perry Baker eighteen seventy six. He meets his first Yogi at age thirteen in Eastern Nebraska, which gives you an idea of, like, how many of these guys are kind of wandering around like a kid in eighteen like ninety nine, East Nebraska meets like a wandering Yogi, which paints again we often think differently about America in the past than it would have been. I think that's kind of worth noting. So Perry had long been obsessed with spirituality in the occult. You know, we've talked about this in the Helena Blovotsky episodes. Jamie talks about this in her Ghost Church podcast. The end of the eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds, there's this wave of spiritism, right, these like people are doing like channeling and they're they're talking to the dead, and you know, you've got all these kind of like magicians wandering around the country doing shows. The occult is really sort of taking off in popular culture. And as a kid, Perry's super into this stuff. So when he runs across this Syrian Indian yogi named Silvaus Hamadi who's a practitioner of Hatha yoga, he's really he's down with what this guy is teaching. Now, I can't tell you if Silveus Hamadi was like a legitimate for one thing, He's like, I can't, I can't like guarantee for you that this guy is in any way teaching legitimate yoga. Like it's the eighteen nineties. You know, who knows what's going on here. But with Silvus at least his yoga includes what's described in the literature I read as magical sex rights that were acts of worship for the god shak D. So you know, Perry gets on board with this shit and kind of as a young man, he and his guru moved to San Francisco, where Perry changes his name to Pierre. He starts teaching hatha to interested seekers in charging an exorbitant price for the privilege. One hundred dollars. That's like what it costs to get like initiated into his orders so you can like do yoga with them, which is several thousand dollars today, Like he is, Yeah, he is fucking charging like that's a lot of money today.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of money to pay twenty five bucks thirty bucks for a yoga class.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, you're you're paying like the equivalent of several grand. Now you're paying that to become like a member of this sort of yoga organization so you can come in and do like regular although I think you're often kind of like pushed to, you know, give donations beyond that. Obviously he's he's not targeting poor people, right, why would he? Yeah, Now, this is not a popular business to be in. San Francisco was not at this point a willing mecca for the weird, and Bernard was forced to flee with his few followers, who called themselves the Tantricks with ak you've heard of tantric you know yoga or like they are they spell a t A N t ri i K. In nineteen oh six, they moved from San Francisco to Seattle, which was also not yet strange enough to host them. And so three years later, after having picked up and they're picking up people, he's picking up followers like he's running like a little cult and he's getting cult. Yeah yeah. He picks them up in Noracal, he picks them up in Washington, and then they head east to New York City. Now by this point, Bernard's followers are calling themselves the Tantric Order, and they, you know, with the kind of limited funds they have because they're not doing great. They get by a townhouse which they decorate in mystic stylings and start to operate as a yoga school and a sanitarium. Now, the best book on Bernard is called The Great Um by Robert Love, and in that book, Love describes Bernard's early East Coast clientele as a mix of well healed interested parties, doctors, patients, the sickly, occultists, spiritual seekers, and health fad enthusiasts. So this is not a lot's changed. I was gonna say, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, basically folks, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: So the city right, yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, New York. Honestly, New York hasn't changed a whole lot. Now, yeah. Quote the Tantrick Herald spread the news there was a new guru in town. Come try our hatha yoga classes offered several times a week in the evenings along with instruction and yoga, breathing, meditation and philosophy, or drop by on the weekends on back in it evenings when food and drink would be offered and the house was open to respectful curious seekers. And you know he's mixing. The Tantriks are like not again, this is not you wouldn't like if you were to like bring some yogas over from India, they would have a lot of notes on what these guys are doing. But people doing like back in eight evenings, which is like not, you know, Hindu is evidence of kind of they're they're mixing and mashing a lot of stuff, but they're using kind of the branding of yoga because it's it's Eastern and mysterious, right and it has you have to think too here. Yoga has a connotation that's more like if you talk about like magic today again like than like it does now. Yeah, these people are not just thinking like oh, I'm going to go get like in better shape and improve my joint health. Right, that's not why people get into yoga in this period of time.
Speaker 3: It's probably more like going to your U Tarot person or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely right, but yeah, definitely closer than like I'm gonna go get healthy, you know, I'm gonna get fit, I'm gonna get you know, flexible. One of these early seekers was a woman named Zellia hop She lived with her which is a pretty cool name out by the way. Yeah, she lived with her parents in the Bronx and had suffered from a series of ill defined but serious physical ailments. Numerous doctors had failed to offer her any relief or long term benefit, and she was ill enough. It's kind of unclear, like what's wrong with her. It seems like it's one of either one of those things where they just didn't have a diagnosis. It might have been just like maybe she had some sort of allergy that at the time everything her parents were giving it like and they just didn't idea yeah exactly, like right, yeah, we don't really know, but she's ill enough that her parents are terrified that she might suffer from the worst fate a woman can experience, not being married to a dude.
Speaker 2: Yes, is it being single?
Speaker 1: Is it being single? Yeah, it's being single. Well she's a spinster, she's like twenty one, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Oh my god, I don't really.
Speaker 1: So Zellia has got an older sister, Esther, who had heard the news about the Tantricks arrival in the Big Apple, and she told her parents that like, hey, you know, there's these guys, this new order. They're doing this Eastern philosophy that's like got medical aspects to it. And I hear there's the you know, their leader is this guy, doctor Warren, who's a powerful healer who just come from Seattle. Now doctor Warren is Bernard. This was another name he went under. And you know, Pierre Bernard is not a doctor, although I should note when I say that most doctors in nineteen or nine aren't really doctors. Yeah, exactly, So this is not as alarming as it.
Speaker 3: Normally it is the qualification for doctor, and then was just deciding you are one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so he changes his name. He's not even Pierre Bernard as doctor Warren.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, it's ot a left field there, yeah, yeah, at least in his like public facing stuff. So Pierre told them that he was like they you know, they go to him to kind of get a consult and stuff, and Pierre's like, I'm an expert in curing neurasthenia, which is a heart condition that he said that she had. Now, Pierre he knows more about medicine than the average person. He's not educated, but he's an autodidact, so he reads a lot of medical texts along with a lot of spiritual texts, and he's really good at like weaving all of this together and like mixing. Some of this is like legitimate, you know, yoga. Some of this is like different aspects of like Hindu or Buddhist beliefs that he's read. Some of this is like shit he picks up from medical textbooks, and some of it's like probably Blovatsky style, like a cult, you know whatever. And he's he's pretty good at like mixing and mashing all of this together. And he really impresses the family in his first visit or in their first visit to him, but he still charges them, Like when after he gets their consult, they're like into what he's saying, but the price he quotes them to treat her is like outrageous. It starts with a forty dollars initiation fee, which is, you know, an average American at that point gets about thirteen dollars a week for about fifty fifty nine hours of labor. Right, So he's charging them almost three weeks of like full time labor to get it initiated, right, and then there's ongoing charges after that.
Speaker 2: Also doesn't sound that different from.
Speaker 1: Uh today, No, yeah, this is how a lot of like quack stuff still works right where. You know, we've talked about this in a bunch of different contexts. But her parents are able to put together the funds even though it's a serious like it is like a burden for them, and off Zellia goes. Robert Love writes about what happens next. The next day, with her parents' approval, Miss Hop traveled alone to Manhattan and arrived at the Brownstone, where Bernard Cigar in hand ushered her into a back room and conducted a physical exam. He concluded that yes he could help her, Yes she could regain her vitality and even flourish under his care, but it would take extreme measures and individual attention. He sent one of his associates to find a suitable place, and in November he installed her in his new sanitary, a rented apartment at seventy West one oh ninth Street near Central Park. Zelia's father visited the place to make sure it was on the up and up before allowing his daughter to move in. Beneath the cloak of therapy, however, a powerful attraction developed between the worldly thirty three year old Bernard and the nineteen year old Zelia. Her first night in the apartment, Bernard paid her a visit. In between boasts of his knowledge of spiritual domains, he kissed her until her breath gave out. She was a lucky woman. He told her he was very powerful, very wealthy. He assured her of his commitment and his honorable intentions. She felt herself fall completely under his power, hypnotized to obey him. Several nights later, she surrendered to the most pressing of his wishes and the couple made love. So, yeah, that's problematic. We could say, you know, he's supposed to be her doctor. She's living in a sanitarium that he runs. You know, the age GAP's a little bit problematic too, Like, there's a lot that's problematic about this problematic. Yeah, Zea becomes a living at the tantriuc House, where the two make love on a regular basis until her family stops being able to pay for her treatments. At that point, she is kicked out of the sanitarium, but when she gets back home, she's apparently free of her heart condition, Like she feels better, So I don't maybe she just needed like you know, like yeah, yeah, like I who am I to say? So for a while, her parents are like, well it was worth it, right, Like she's feeling better, you know. They don't know exactly what's happened, but they see that she seems to be in better health and that's mostly what they care about. So for a while, everything's fine. But Zellia's turnaround had more to do with the fact that she'd fallen in love with Pierre than the healing power of whatever he was advertising as yoga. A modern person might have recognized that a dude who kicks you out because you can't afford the rent and his unlicensed hospital is not your soulmate, but these were more primitive times, and Lifetime Original movies hadn't yet taught that message to people. The business, the business at the Tantric House continued to evolve They developed an enrollment contract for potential students, which offered them either an upfront fee of one hundred dollars or three monthly installments of forty dollars each. For twenty dollars, Bernard would give you a physical examination, and for just two dollars you could acquire your very own copy of their newsletter, the Journal of the Tantric Order. Yeah, which I'd love to get a copy of if anyone runs into one out there.
Speaker 2: Of the Tankic Order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds good. Initiated students could attend yoga classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Pierre, an early trailblazer, realized that the best way to get repeat customers was to put the hot chicks in his flock up front and center. His best instructor then was Aura Ray named real name Gertrude, who wore quote yogi suits, skin tight colored tights covered in tantric symbols that were basically the only attractive clothing that anyone wore in a sim like this is like the early nineteen hundreds, right, Everybody's like, yeah.
Speaker 2: This is prototype Lululemon, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. He's a trailblazer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have him to blame for the yoga outfits.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he is the guy who's like, well, if we just like get attractive people to wear yoga pants, we can get all sorts of folks to just come in and hang around, right like, this is how we make money.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Go God so love rites that many of their customers were quote older men in search of rejuvenation, which often came from young women teaching them to stand on their head and making strategic physical contact to guide them in the asanas. These older men were often comparatively well off, which was required to afford the blistering fees Pierre charged. He appeared only sparingly in classes to lecture his students on spiritual matters and give them his own esoteric advice on health and diet. Zelia continued to visit whenever she could, and over time she grew concerned and suspicious of about how many of his followers were attractive young women. She was as she did, Yeah, I bet she did. She was also frustrated by the fact that he kept sections of the townhouse off limits to her for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: Okay, so are they still dating in some capacity here? I mean, is charging her.
Speaker 1: She would say they're dating. Pierre would say they are not dating, right, Like, I think that's kind like me alone. I mean, you know, I'm teaching her, right like she's a she's a student. You know, I'm teaching her in the only way that I can. So eventually she demanded that he marry her if she was going to keep dropping by and you know, putting out Somehow, the State of Affairs ended with Gertrude and Zellia meeting and Pierre talking them into having a threesome with him. So now, Katie that that sounds gross, right, like that's that's that's that's problematic, But it kind of goes in a good direction because Gertrude and Zellia, in an unlikely fashion, like become friends and they start talking without Pierre there about the way he's treating them both, and Zellia starts asking Gertrude questions like, Zellia like you would expect, you know, especially given the time, like even the day, you'd expect Zellia to be like, fuck Gertrude, fuck this lady who's like getting in between me and this guy. But Zelly is like, has he been paying you for all the work? That you do teaching yoga classes. And Gertrude's like, well, no, he's not paying me, And Zelli is like, you know that's fucked up, right, Like you know you should be getting paid to do this job.
Speaker 3: I like this turn for Yeah, sure, I like these two women. Good good job girls. Also there's part of me that's also.
Speaker 2: Like, what year are we at right now on the timeline?
Speaker 1: This is like nineteen o nine, nineteen ten.
Speaker 3: I do love I do like the introduction of a little threesome situation in the early nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: In general, I'm a three skit. I just don't like a man demanding it.
Speaker 1: No, but I do like that it is a It is a threesome that a man institutes problematically that ends in the two women becoming friends and being like, wait a second, he's not paying you for your labor, Like whoa, we got a fucking deal with this. Yeah, I'd watch that movie. Yeah yeah, yeah. And the story there's some actually, there's some fun beats coming up. But you know what's even more fun than the romantic equivalent of unionization?
Speaker 2: I got it this time? Is it advertisements? It is advertisements.
Speaker 3: The romantic, the romantic unionizations of products and podcasts.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, that's right. We're back. So so Gertrude and Zellia start talking, and Gertrude realizes, like this is you know, oh yeah, this is a really fucked up situation, and so she bounces. She abandons Pierre and the tantric order, and Zelly is like, you can come crash with me and my parents, and so she starts. She's like living with Zelia and her parents. I don't know what Zellia tells her parents. Yeah, like I'm gonna guess she doesn't bring up the threesome.
Speaker 2: Right my friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, Yeah. But like Gertrude crashes there for a for a while. Pierre gets worried after a period of time like that she's been absent for so long, so he sends one of his followers to talk her into returning, and he's like, you know, we need you here. We've got like some business stuff like this is like especially if you want to get paid, like you got to come back and like we got to take care of some things. So Gertrude's like, all right, well I'll go back with you to like deal with this because maybe it'll work out, but she promises Zellia, I'm gonna come back, like I'm not gonna stay there obviously, So Gertrude leaves. It's supposed to be just for a little while, but days go by and Zelia starts to get worried, so she writes to Gertrude's sister in Seattle, and in the letter that Zelia writes gertrude sister, she kind of insinuates Gertrude might be being held against her will. Zellia doesn't really know what's going on, but she knows Pierre. She kind of knows the vibes, and she's like, I think something fucked up is going on. So Gertrude's sister travels east and like travels east with like fucking hell on her mind because she had not been happy when Gertrude had left Seattle with this guy, so she's kind of been like waiting for something fucked up to happen. So she travels east with the intention of like fucking shit up for Pierre. She had Also, it's also probably worth noting she had been dumped by a member of the Tantric Order earlier, so she also has yeah, yeah, yeah, her sister adds, there's like she's not a little bit of a brud too. Yeah, this is these are this is a messy story, so chaotic you can make although again there's a there's a pretty good like Hulu plus you know original series in this absolutely. So she and Zelle a Gertrude's sister, and Zellia go to the police lurid stories of like dark sex, magic and presumed unlawful imprisonment and a few nights and the police like take it seriously. And so a few nights later, you know, classes are going on at this at this townhouse where where Pierre runs you know, his order out of and during classes, Zella comes to the door of the townhouse and she gives they have like a secret knock. So she gives the secret knock, and whatever guy's at the door opens the door for her and a bunch of New York detectives Russian uh, and they find you know, when they bust in what one detective describes later as quote, a young man clad in filmy garments and squatting as a sort of presiding demi god among a dozen men and women strangely garbed and tight fitting gowns of one piece, which is a very funny, like old timey description of like people in yoga outfits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yoga outfits.
Speaker 1: Yeah proto to like early yoga outfits gin one. So they also find Yes squatting. They also find Gertrude, and she is dressed in a revealing swimsuit like garment and nearly hysterical with fear. When she sees her sister, she sprints over to her and begs her, for God's sake, take me away. In his book The Great Um Love, Descri continues the scene quote Bernard surveyed the house and glared coldly at Zelia. So this is your revenge, she snapped, You're sore because you're jealous of Gertrude. One of the tantric women focused a menacing glare on Gertrude and began chanting on ominously, zimzimzim zz z. Gertrude, who had been around these other women for some time, was obviously spooked. She is putting a curse on me, she screamed. In the midst of all this, someone doused the lights, but it was clear even in the confusion and darkness that the young man in the filmy garments was the person the police were looking for. You're under arrest, said Callahan, the detective to Bernard. Detective Joseph Lennard, the wise guy of the two partners, pointed at the symbols on Bernard's robe. What are those things on your chest? He demanded. When Bernard filled him in, the cop replied, so that's the bar. After his initial indignation, Bernard stood calmly before the police. He confirmed his identity and that of the quivering girl in tights, Gertrude Leo. Then the detectives rousted the entire party and moved them down the steps of the Brownstone and into the spring night. The officers, the irate witnesses, the young women in bathing suits, the others hissing curses, and finally Bernard, wearing the elaborate ceremonial robe of a seventh degree tantric priest bearing the ancient symbols of birth, death, and regeneration. Together they set out from the Brownstone, and a comical looking pert parade headed for the West sixty eighth Street police station. It's yeah again, great Hulu series.
Speaker 2: In this whole story, wonderful, wonderful scene. Uh right there.
Speaker 3: I also, like, I wonder if they're doing I do know a little bit hatha breathing that uujaya breathing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing that.
Speaker 1: Or at least like whatever, because you know, you have to assume like whatever teaching they're getting is probably like translated through a couple of different books and language barriers, Like I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it sounds like they're hissing or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I'm just imagining everybody doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So news of the arrest quickly ripped through the city. The New York Times headline the next day read arrest Hindu seyr, The Herald added, says he's a swami, and the Tribune noted his students in tights. Pierre was locked up and charged with abduction and accused of having inveigled and enticed Zelia. When he finally showed up in court to be arraigned, the judge asked, what is this man? A doctor? The detective responsible for the case replied, No, he's not a doctor. He's a Hindu teacher. He claims to cure people by controlling spirits. Now, Bernard did not look very much like a yogi. He is a balding like Irish American dude in his thirties. He could have passed for a banker in the right place.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what like the headline, Hindu whatever ard a portly old white man easily.
Speaker 1: He's like thirty three, but like, yeah, he's not like he does not look particularly mystic. Yeah, the detective added, when we got upstairs, we saw eight elderly men and five women in tights and bathing costumes. They were just exercising. They were tumbling on a mat which had strange figures on it. The defendant was standing by a crystal ball and was cladd in tights that came to his knees, in a jersey on which there were some queer figures. So again that's like the kind of and that gives you an idea too of like who they're they're going after, because like Pierre has these young women who are like basically working as instructors, and then these old men who are presumably wealthier, who are basically paying to like hang out with a bunch of attractive young women wearing tight clothes and stretching. Right like that that is what he's offering, you know. Also again, and it's New York City, yeah, it's New York City. It is interesting to me that a crystal ball was involved. I've done a number of yoga classes, none of which involved a crystal ball.
Speaker 3: Never never, although, look, I'd show up for that class. Maybe I'd show up for that class. Yeah, yeah, I have different emotions around this. Well, we still have story left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do wish that my yoga involved a palanteer though. Yeah, yeah, Saramon, like does it puts like a sixty minute yoga video?
Speaker 2: Oh now that would be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, staff yoga. So bail is set at fifteen thousand dollars and Bernard is sent out of the courtroom. As he's leaving, Zellia's father sprints up and shouts that man ought to be killed and I'd do it if I could, which is you know, solid parenting. Well, Pierre languished in jail. A reporter from the Evening Mail managed to secure an interview with him. Perhaps given the desperate state he was in, or perhaps just due to his exhaustion and the skill of the interviewer, Bernard was uncommonly honest. He told the journalist, I never lived in India. The whole scheme is physical culture, that's all. Only some of those nasty tongued women got busy. You know, if you pay more attention to one than you do to another, she gets jealous. This whole white slave business was too much. Wonder they didn't hold me for murder?
Speaker 3: All right, Pierre fu motherfucker fucking Pierre.
Speaker 1: Now you'll note that he mentions, he says, this is this is physical culture. That's a savvy move by him. Now we've done a pair of episodes on Bernard McFadden, who was like the first big workout exercise guru and like American pop culture right around this time. Yeah, he's running a bunch of big magazines that are like one is called physical culture. So Pierre is as he's being interviewed by this guy he's trying to you know, normally, when he's like trying to con people into giving him money, he wants to portray himself as like this Eastern mystic who has access to like magical powers. When he's in trouble, He's like, no, I'm just like this guy who's like popular and rich and famous, right, Like this is just another kind of physical culture, you know, it's like lifting weights. He attempts to do that only when he's in trouble, but that I think that is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. So another trend that is sweeping the nation, like physical culture, is a trend that sweeping the nation in this period of time, and he's trying to tie himself into that one season trouble. But another trend that's sweeping the nation is a panic over the existence of what are generally referred to as white slavers. The same day that Pierre was arraigned, a twenty seven year old Russian named Levinson confessed to selling young women with the aid of two and like he uses a word for black women that we don't anymore. Jenny Miller, Gertrude's sister, saw kind of tying in what he had done to this like white slaver panic as a savvy way to get revenge on Pierre. So she told the press that the tantric order was engaging in an even quote higher order of the of the white slave traffic, adding wealthy women, women whose fortunes run high into the millions, are prime movers in this traffic.
Speaker 2: This historic gets messier, I'm messier.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of like proto QAnon stuff. In here right, Yeah, Now, the Tantric Order and yoga in general became the center of a scandalous news cycle, one that galvanized much of New York high society against the very concept of Eastern mysticism. As always happens with media frenzies, there was a period of several weeks where any newsman who could come up with a bloody minded story about evil yoga cults could claim to be sure of a paycheck. Some of them sat down with anyone from the West Coast who would claim to have been a former member of the Tantrik Order, and a lot of these people were just like lying, right for whatever reason. But others journalists started digging through various Hindu texts, often like bad translations of Hindu texts that they only partly understood, looking for anything that they could like tie into this broader thing, right, that they could like, Ah, here's another you know, it's it's journalism hasn't changed either, you know, Centurion or so, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, all this feels eerially familiar. Yeah, it's very very very modern story. In the great um love rights quote, reports surfaced in the press on those salacious details of Hindu tantric practices. A diligent New York World reporter had turned up a copy of Bernard's Vira Sadhana and published excerpts under the headline Tantrick's worship calls for dead bodies and young girls. Since the Vira Sadhana was a compendium of abridged mystical tracks and translated Hindu writings that were long on metaphor and symbol, UM's enemies found everything they wanted. They picked from a combination platter of yoga's alleged supernatural powers, sex rituals, phallic worship, and yes, even a mention of medieval Hindu rights that used dead bodies. When apprized by a reporter that some of the texts he published were sealacious in nature, Bernard answered wistfully, that's the trouble with people. They so readily misunderstood and a true conception of the system. And a lot of this is like, you know, you can find like texts in pieces in the Bible, pieces in like literally every religious text that like most practitions will they are like, well, that's a metaphor that's not meant to be literal like and also it is like I don't know the quality of the translations he's getting, but people are finding stuff from like these medieval texts that like are fucked up sounding to modern ears, and he's kind of just like printed out in order to have something to sell, and they're accusing him of like stuff he's not doing.
Speaker 1: Right. Like, at the end of the day, Bernard is like a creep and probably a rapist, a sex pest, but he's not like sacrificing people or like, you know, doing rituals with dead bodies. You know, he's like a pretty pedestrian kind of creep. No.
Speaker 3: I mean you could also add into grift or baby or you know, appropriating something, not understanding what he is.
Speaker 2: He's teaching at all. Yeah, definitely not doing those things.
Speaker 1: I'm not an expert on on yoga or on on Hindu mysticism, but I do not believe Crystal Ball's feature prominently.
Speaker 2: No, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a lot of it's also kind of worth noting that. Again, while he is definitely a sex pest, a lot of what got him damned by the press in his day are statements that were just two pro sex and even sometimes pro woman. For the era, one passage from the virus ad Hanna was particularly outrageous to people in nineteen ten New York. Sex worship as a religion represents a stage in the development of the human mind, and the grand theologies of today are the outcome of this mode of worship. It constitutes the basis of all that is sacred, wholly, and beautiful. The whole world is embodied in the woman. Now, yeah, that's heteronormative, but to most people in twenty twenty three, it's not what you'd call like a particularly offensive statement, even if it is a bit reductive and you know, horny. That said, as the arraignment went on, the allegations continued to pour out. Some were likely true and some were you know, exaggerated or just false. Zelia, who was never a full initiate, told lurid stories of blood oaths that either you know, were exaggerated. You know, she's in kind of a heightened state when she encounters this, But you know, I don't think anyone was like doing any serious like blood magic or whatever. But she also told like stories of like orgies in sort of like sexual like being pressured into having group sex and stuff that definitely did happen, right ay for sure. Yeah, things got really dark when Gertrude took the stand. Though she alleged that on September seventeenth, nineteen oh nine, Pierre had threatened to drug her with morphine when she became what he called hysterical, She said that he kept her prisoner with his hypnotic powers. Now, obviously I'm not like a particular believer in hypnotic powers, but I certainly believe that a mix of drugs, the mind altering impact of cult dynamics, and good old fashioned gas lighting canna have the effect of keeping someone a prisoner without having them chained to a wall.
Speaker 2: Right, We've seen it time and time again.
Speaker 1: It happens all over the world.
Speaker 3: This is yeah, uh, accounting for the time frame that we are in as well, where you know, I am imagining these women being swept up in this and really not having the tools to understand or remove themselves from a situation.
Speaker 1: Well, and even like even if they'd had sort of you know, in more a culture that had given them more tools. This exact story, cult leaders plying followers with like a mix of drugs and gas lighting and sexual abuse. That happens, That's happening there's thousands of people living that life right now.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, absolutely, And I also do not mean to suggest that you know people now should know better or whatever I'm just imagining at that time, being like it's even an element of magic and email and.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, and also today, if you get out of that situation today, there's infrastructure to help you. Right even in that infrastructure, just you can find books that people have written about going through similar experiences and the way cult dynamics work that doesn't really exist for someone like Gertrude, you know, in nineteen ten, she told the court quote, I both feared and loved him. He made me believe that he could communicate with priests of the Order all over the world who would sit in counsel at his command and take a awigh my mind if I did not obey him. And one of the heartbreaking dimentions about this is that in order to lay out the abuse that both women absolutely experienced, Zelia and Gertrude had to admit to having premarital sex. In Gertrude's case, this involved sex with a number of men as part of sexual rights. Some of this does sound very satanic, panicky, but part of why I tend to like why I believe like what they're saying is that Gertrude and Zelia they suffered massive personal consequences for doing this. Going up in front of like a court and saying that you had sex outside of marriage in this period of time closes off opportunities for you as a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't something you just do, No, something. It's also not.
Speaker 1: Something that not that it's something you just do today. But this is there's even more consequences.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, big deal. Very brave of them. Yeah no, it's just like I very brave too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a terrible situation for them to be put in. As the Atlantic Constitution put it in one headline, ruin brought to this woman by high priest, right, Like that's the way it's being category. Like she's been ruined by him, you know. The judge did decide to sustain the charges, and a grand jury later indicted Pierre on two counts. The newspapers started referring to him derisively as the Great Ome. His followers dissolved, and the townhouse lay vacant while he languished in jail waiting for his trial, but as the weeks ticked by his lawyers found what they called evidence against Gertrude's previously chased character. They alleged that she had lied about her age and that she had slept with someone outside of marriage previously. Pierre's lawyer offered to produce these claims and witnesses to them in court, so the DA dropped Gertrude as a witness and a complainant. Right he dropped the charge is based on Pierre's abuse of Gertrude because this lawyer was like, I found evidence that she had sex outside of marriage once, Like that's the time wherein he reduced bail on Pierre. But the case did go forward at this point, though, Zelia decided that she too wanted off the case. Her family said that she had moved out of state. She wanted the charges. She just wanted it to end. Like the way her family described it is that the case had nearly driven her insane. I think it was just too much for her, and once Gertrude kind of was out, it was like, I can't, I can't go through this, like.
Speaker 2: The just by myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's horrible. They're they're both in a horrible situation. Eventually, the case folded and Pierre was released a free man, But as stain had been left on yoga that would take decades to wash away, As Robert Love wrote in this column for Mental Flaws. The next year, a Christian mystic named Evelyn Arthur c was arrested in Chicago and charged as a white slaver. His trial was a virtual replay of the Bernard proceedings. Meanwhile, back in New York City, esoteric psychologist doctor William Latson, who taught Hindu dancing as a way of freeing his female patients from their liberal restraints, committed suicide in his office. Combined with Bernard's notoriety and seized conviction, the lats and scandal turned public sentiment against yoga and mysticism. Newspapers began publishing feature length expose as blaming yoga for domestic infelicity, insanity, and death. The federal government opened official investigations against various swamis and Hindu priests. America was fascinated, horrified, and obsessed with what the Washington Post called the soul destroying poison of the East, the tragic flood of broken homes and hearts, disgrace and suicide. Yoga had become public enemy number one.
Speaker 2: There there she goes again, America.
Speaker 1: Good old America, Now, Katie. No moral panic is stronger than the desire of upper middle class white people to feel connected to something that makes them different from the people they play bridge with. So Bernard was eventually able to establish several successful yoga schools. He rebuilt his he rebuilt his cult. He became fabulously wealthy. He established a sizable compound with a herd of elephants in it. I believe somewhere like Upstate New York. It's in somewhere in the Northeast. And he worked with a number of the wealthiest people in the country at the time, including the Vanderbilt daughters. Yes, he's extremely successful. If you want to learn about this guy's whole life story, I really recommend Robert Loves the Great Um. It's an interesting, well written book about this fella. Yoga itself languished until the late nineteen fifties, when enough distance from the moral panic years allowed a new generation to see it as simply a secular exercise remedy. It was still transmitted to people largely by white Americans like Richard Hitelman, and Lilias Folan. Television was key to this spread. It made it easy to show people different poses in a manner that seemed straightforward and absent the trappings of mysticism that had made Pierre Bernard seem so shady. Then the nineteen sixties hit, the h bees all started doing yoga and the New Age movement took off, and in the middle of that process, a young Indian immigrant would introduce the continent to a new version of yoga. His name was Bickram. And we're gonna talk about all that in part two.
Speaker 2: Katie, I cannot wait. I can't wait because it don't have to wait long. We're going to record it a media.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna talk about this in like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the rest of you all have to wait.
Speaker 1: You get Yeah, you gotta wait like a day or so. Motherfuckers, shittheads.
Speaker 2: That was very interesting. Yeah, and I'm excited for the night here.
Speaker 1: So am I, Katie? You got any plug ub host plug? Wow?
Speaker 2: I guess so, I guess problematic, I guess I do. I guess.
Speaker 3: I'd like to tell you guys about our little show called some More News.
Speaker 2: You've heard me talk about it before.
Speaker 3: We have a channel called some More News that our friend Cody Johnston hosts and I'm on and we have a podcast called even more News. You can find both of them in the same audio feed. And you know, we're on social media and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like that too. And also i'd like to promote next week's.
Speaker 3: Episode of this show, part two of this episode. Oh cool, That's what I'd like to promote today. Robert anything we lost Robert? Oh, Robert, Scott, Roberts Gon. You know what, guys, that's it for us here behind the Master. Robert has dropped off off the zoom and now we've taken control.
Speaker 2: What I want to What do I want to do with this power? I don't know. He's back.
Speaker 1: Ah fuck ah fuck? Are we still recording or did we end? Well?
Speaker 2: We're ending now randing Now.
Speaker 3: Well, we said some really horrible ship about you, and I've asked you just to bleep.
Speaker 2: All of it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, that's good, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 3: I felt appropriate anyways, by motherfuckers, buy motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia Dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.