Speaker 1: And welcome in to another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the baut Territory nor Detroit Tigers podcast. I'm Kierens Deckley with me as always a man who is never gonna exaggerate his fish stories.
Speaker 2: He is Cody Stavenhagen.
Speaker 3: How are we doing doing all right? Yeah, here we are.
Speaker 4: We are back from the All Star break, although I'm still halfway on vacation right now. We're watching what I believe to be the most interesting team in baseball in the next two weeks. I mean, okay, we all know the Schogl storyline. I just don't think there's a more consequential, more interesting team right now than the Detroit Tigers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like and I think I think interesting is the right way to phrase over Recording this shortly after the Tigers drop a three to two Sunday game to the Angels, but of course won the series with a two to one win and a seven zero win on Friday Saturday Saturday, Respectfully. I like the term interesting because I was watching some national broadcasts and commentators and I can't remember who it was, but they were like, you know, the Tigers are on the verge of like making things really interesting, and I was like on the verge, like I think we're there. I think we're past the verge. We are past the verge of being interesting here. And it just feels like, as we said before, every game just feels big.
Speaker 2: And we can even start with Friday.
Speaker 1: Like with the you know, to have nothing going on offense, you're down one nothing and you know, you got Yates on the mound and you have how you level people come up in a big spot with a two run, two out double there in the ninth and then Montero with what was it three plus innings to close out the game and make things a little interesting with a couple of torque great plays, McGonagall with a nice play. Like it was just like all these things happening and it felt like really big coming out of the All Star Game, All Star Break, I should say seven nothing dominating performance. We'll talk about school wel here in a second. Then you know, a couple solo shots, not really anything going offensively. I heard Dan Dickerson on the broadcast today kind of be like, well, you know, Angels pitching kind of controlled the Tigers for two out of these three games.
Speaker 2: And that's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: But the difference is that that statement has been said a lot this year and it didn't result in a Tigers series win. So the question is, as we kind of move forward and we, you know, kind of barrel toward the trade deadline, is this actually like a different team? And I think this weekend showed us at least like the drop off is just not gonna happen immediately.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Could there be some middling things that happened between now and the trade that my shirt, but there's all gonna be huge dropout drop off. I believe these Tigers are who they are displaying themselves to be, and that is a good, potentially really good team if you just look at all the metrics from June one. But what does that mean? I don't now, We'll.
Speaker 4: See, right, I Mean, that's the hard part deciphering what does it actually mean in terms of.
Speaker 3: Are they buying? Are they selling? Are they are they doing something in between?
Speaker 4: It's just gonna be hard to answer it until we're kind of there and they play out that schedule. What I would say based on this weekend, and maybe Angel's pitching did control them a little bit. But the thing about an ugly win is it counts just the same as the as a pretty win and one of the big reasons we are here at this juncture in the Tigers season. They haven't had that many ugly wins. A lot of those ugly games were losses. You know, they don't have that many close wins. We know they're lackluster record and one run games and extra inning games and so many things just haven't gone their way. So to get a big hit from someone like how You Lee on Friday, I.
Speaker 3: Actually view that as huge.
Speaker 4: You're not going to play your best every single night in the major leagues, and if you can find a way to leave with the W next to your name and the standings, that is still wildly productive. When it's someone like how You Lee contributing all the better. I've talked a lot about him, and like he's still an interesting, kind of strange player to evaluate. But for all the faults of like the Tigers havn't gotten contributions from this guy and this guy and this guy and this guy and this guy, how You Lee has come up to the big leagues and he has given you something. And Friday night he helped you win. He helped you win an important ball game, because they're all important ball games at this point, and so to me, there's actually a ton of value in ugly wins and small contributions from players like.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, and look like they like this.
Speaker 1: This weekend did have like every variety, and you can even include just the fact that, like for as I would say, book ended as the offense was on Sunday, you basically start out the game with a home run and essentially end the game with a home run, obviously in a loss. So like, the power numbers are going to are going to continue to look good for this team. As you're projecting out you look at the run differential coming into today, it was like, what plus seventy four since uh since June, since June first? Uh So obviously just a tad lower now, But like that screams to me, like take this team seriously, and even like, you know, give Lie some love, but we also got to give talk about guys hard to evaluate. We could give Torq a little bit of run here. You know, he's second on the team in home runs right now, Cody second off the team behind Dingler, you know, and he's got power, but he also has a powerful force of people who want to talk down on him a lot.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and this was kind of a weekend where like I'm not gonna say he saved the game on Saturday, but you had the defense on Friday night and then the two home runs on Saturday, and like had he done anything today? We've been talking about like this being towards weekend and it probably still was, but these are the kinds of examples of like how this.
Speaker 2: Team can do it.
Speaker 6: Like we we know why they haven't been able to do it thus far, but the example of how this team can do it is yu LEI like coming up in a big spot and by the way, like you know, I had a nice base hit today, you know as well. And then special Torklsen kind of finding his upside, uh you know in in in a in a short period of time, which we know he's capable of, but we just don't see it obviously enough, hence the the pushback. And then of course it started pitching.
Speaker 1: Melton was excellent on Friday after a shaky start, and uh and schoolbl was great too. Let's uh, let's let's go to school right now, Cody.
Speaker 3: What the people want.
Speaker 2: Is schoobl back? Is he back?
Speaker 1: But why do I say that, Uh Okay, Well, he went seven endings, he had nine k's left, five hits, zero earned runs, he had zero walks. Fun fact, this was the first start for schoobl in which he gave up zero earned runs since opening Day. I was in another country when that happened, all right, Like that felt feels like.
Speaker 2: A long time ago. Uh.
Speaker 1: And and the fact that the fact that we've been having these conversations about him going deep into games and you know, and and the pitch counts and like all these things, all that really evaporated into the Southern California sun on Saturday, And like it just goes to show you, like there's never a real, like grounded reason to be worried about Trek Scooble. You can critique, you can you know, you can say like there are reasons that you know he needs to be better at this, blah blah blah, but you can't be worried because that is that was on an outlandish thing, but it was sort of like a reminder of exactly what he can do. And of course he's in the news for other reasons. But the bottom line is he won you a series. You give him a four spot there in the first ending and it's and it's game over from there, and he was and he was fired up to have that too, So that was good to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm oddly somewhat in the minority here, but I don't think Trek Scooble ever really left like he came back off the injured list and his stuff was Schooble like. The stuff was never not there. There was maybe a little bit of rust or the execution wasn't quite what you would want it to be from a guy who's won back to Backsille Young Awards. And that's the whole reason school trade stuff aside is a fascinating topic. It's because the bar for him is through the roof. So five innings, one run, it's not good enough. When you're Terek schoobl it's getting him critiqued. He can't go deep into games. He can't do this. The command's not the same whatever. This guy at maybe not quite his sharpest, was going five, allowing one run, giving you a chance to win, finishing with a respectable line. And I do think there was some importance to see that vintage Schooble outing right, And I always thought that it was coming and sure enough it was. We just saw a size school outing, shutting down the angels, really commanding the game, being efficient with his pitch count, which was important. I'm not saying that those things like don't matter, but I never really lost.
Speaker 3: Any faith that that's who Trek Schouble was. For the most part.
Speaker 4: The quality of his pitching, the quality of his stuff was there. It was just kind of a matter of those kind of those marginal things that can swing your line, you know, and leaving people feeling a certain type of way out of an outing. Those things went in his favor. His execution was much closer to flawless, like he he gave himself some koshion pitching with the lead probably didn't hurt. He was able to be kind of aggressive bully people a little more like we're used to seeing Schooble bully people. The fastball pounded inside. Things like that. So really encouraging for anyone who did have any doubts, Like I think, we just saw the reason I never really had any doubts.
Speaker 1: And again, and obligatory congratulations to everybody who only wants to see Trek Schooble have good outings to increase his trade value. So you know, you guys had a good Saturday, So congratulations. Speaking of you know, in the news, John Hayman it out there today and I'm paraphrasing, so keep that in mind. But basically, Tigers are gonna looks like they're gonna hold on to Trek Schoogl through the end of the year and then after that it's unlikely they will resign him. So this is like the you know, the last run of Schoobl's time with the Tigers is essentially the report from Hayman, uh, which I just have like one reaction to that, which is cool, I guess.
Speaker 2: Like like like what what what?
Speaker 1: Like I just don't feel like really feel the need to to like take that seriously. I know, like I'm taking it seriously by addressing it on here, but like I look at it similarly to like if we were out and about as single guys and like, hey, why don't you go ask that girl out? And it's like, well, she's probably gonna say no. It's like all right, well she probably is gonna say no, But like what are you supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Like not play the game? Like let's play the game? Like like like what, okay?
Speaker 1: Cool, He's he doesn't want to resign, there's little chance or wherever his exact phrasing is.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, I guess we'll we just want we'll just be.
Speaker 1: Paralyzed by this and and and just and not be able to move on and or even try, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, uh, that's that's my take on that.
Speaker 1: I think pretty much anything that comes out regarding Trek Schouble comes out for a reason, as I often say, and I will just kind of leave it at that and with that, oh, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Well, Kieran, I think that's the most under talked about part of this whole fiasco is are the Tigers ever going to put a real offer on the table? Let's say they have a bad series in Chicago, say they come back home, it doesn't go great. Suddenly they start to look more like sellers. Do you present trek Schouble with an offer before you trade him? Or even if they make a run and they don't trade him, are you are you making this guy a real offer while you still have exclusive negotiating rights Because we all know, I think a lot of us know the con there is like, well, you probably just set the floor for Scott Bors to negotiate against at the same time, what the Washington Nationals did before they traded on Soda. They got their best offer and they handed it to them. They wrote it down on paper. They said, we want you to see the money we are offering you. And Sodo saw it said thanks, but no thanks, and they said, okay, we now really have no option but to trade you. Will the Tigers do that? That's something that hasn't really been discussed a lot. And you're Ayman is probably right. We've been saying this for a long time. Turkhy was highly unlikely to re sign with the Tigers, certainly unlikely to resign without at least dipping the toes in the free agent waters. So does that mean you just don't try? And I'm not quite sure. I'm not quite sure what I would do if I were in Scott Harrison's shoes. But that is maybe something that we should be talking about a little bit more over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: And we'll have ample opportunities for that. And speaking of the trade deadline, we're going to introduce a chance of Tech School getting traded every episode on TI your Territory leading up to the trade deadline. And I have it right now, Cody at thirteen and a half percent, Why is it thirteen and a half percent? Because I said so, that's why. So thirteen and a half percent chance Tark School gets traded at the trade.
Speaker 3: I will go over.
Speaker 4: I think it's still fifty five to sixty percent.
Speaker 3: That's easy.
Speaker 2: Whoo spicy. We have ourselves a gap here.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get to some more from this weekend, but first we got to pay some bills.
Speaker 2: Here is a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 7: Hey, for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, look.
Speaker 8: Into K twelve Powered Schools.
Speaker 7: K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family.
Speaker 8: Todd Father, you've done no homeschooling thing in the past. I know you liked it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career or whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 8: See how K twelve parate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 2: All right, coming back here, Cody.
Speaker 1: Part of the Tigers' discussion points is that you know some help is coming, presumably, and the most probably immediate part of that would be Labor Torres, who started doing rehab stints over the weekend, had a home run on Saturday, down and playing for the Lakeland Flying Tigers. Not exactly sure what his timeline is, but the bottom line is once he is good to go, he will be on the major lester and he will be starting at second base or you know sometimes dhing. He will be in the lineup every day. So then that becomes you mentioned how you lee earlier, just to kind of reiterate the stats since June one, it's bat in three twenty. This is Lee and he's got eight thirty nine ops. Now that was entering entering Sunday, all right, so just you know, obviously a little bit different after after Sunday's games.
Speaker 2: But the but the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Is, like you have a solid, workable player in Lee playing second base. But once Tours is back, like that's Tours' spot, He's gonna be at the top of the lineup. Everything he provides at bats, you know, uh, you know, the working pitches, like all that stuff, Like he's gonna be there. So then the question becomes what do the Tigers do?
Speaker 2: And I like the lead.
Speaker 1: Is Lee the new Ontaro and and that's given lead too much credit. But my point is is that you got cut. This is a guy that you kind of a horse that has to kind of be ridden every day. And so like is it better for him to be like playing every day in Toledo and then just like come up or to kind of be in a supplemental role in the major leagues. These are the things that like the the higher ups are gonna have to determine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give it.
Speaker 4: Given the state of the Tigers, I don't know how you can really justify sending how you lead down when tourres is back, obviously his playing time is going to decline, but Labor is a guy who needs a day off every now and then, so there will be some reps at second. You can still mix them in at third. You can bring him off the bench as a right handed bat you haven't used been Maljerry.
Speaker 3: A ton a ton.
Speaker 4: The roster is a little more balanced, you know, with an outfielder versus adding another infielder. But I would tend to think mal Jerry is probably the guy to go down. I also find it very interesting Matt Vierling appeared at third base in this game, Karen, for the first time all year. I don't know exactly what that means, but maybe it's kind of like, all right, you've got to start again, like some dudes are coming back. First, it's Glabor. Eventually it's going to be hobby. You have to start justifying, you know, your spot on this roster and how we're going to use you and how you're going to get playing time. So I kind of wonder like what the underlying factor there was with Vierling. I'm not really saying he's a candidate to get booted from the roster. But the decisions get harder when you have someone like how you Lee playing playing good baseball. I think it would be a mistake to send him down. I also think if he plays less, like will he be effective?
Speaker 3: What does that look like? Who knows? But we've all been seeing it, you know.
Speaker 4: And again I'm not just from all the scouts I know who don't have the highest opinion of how you lease like long term future. It's hard to deny that the kid is playing really good baseball and if you're trying to win every game, I want to keep this guy around right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but we've had this this same kind of conversation repeatedly this year about a variety of dudes. And uh, I'll even throw and Manuel de Haesussen there a little bit cody with like with the way, you know, with him being sent down because he had the option, Like there there is So that's another kind of thing too that just kind of like monitor is that like the front office has a lot of times kind of played it safe, and so like if you're gonna so there are some kind of tough decisions, a lot of time they go the safer route.
Speaker 2: Does that change here?
Speaker 1: The next couple of weeks as sort of like the real direction of the team is going to be the termin right, So that's that That's something that just kind of like.
Speaker 4: Position playing probably different in terms of bullpeny. You're really trying to optimize matchups and this and that, and you know there's gonna be a ton of shuffling anyway, there's position players for the most part, just have to have dudes who can perform. Although I guess the safe thing was keeping Jamai Jones around until into July, which they did, so maybe maybe it's not that much different in their minds.
Speaker 9: Not sure.
Speaker 1: Shout out Jamai by the way, at a home run at first with.
Speaker 4: The believe can you believe the Scott Harris reshion let Jamie Jones.
Speaker 2: Go af a lefty? Yeah, should have been our headline, Scott Harris screws up Jami Jones home run in Boston.
Speaker 10: Uh, all right, let's get to let's get to a fun little topic here, Cody, as we're about twenty minutes and I just wanted to remind you guys that Tiger Territory is brought to you by Fan Duel.
Speaker 1: So we're doing our daily Dinger Select Dinger selection and uh we I think this was our first Daily Dinger selection. So we're gonna go back to our roots here and we're gonna talk a little bit.
Speaker 2: Dylan Dingler one of.
Speaker 1: The all stars for your Detroit Tigers, and he I mentioned Torque being second on the team at home runs. Number one is Dylan Dingler with nineteen. He has not hit one cody since June twenty fifth, so it's been a little bit so so my pick for him to do it on Monday is a little bit of like is he do and then and then the question is can this guy who again he's at nineteen home runs?
Speaker 2: Can he get to thirty?
Speaker 1: And you know, regardless of what he finishes at, how high does he go up The Tigers single season home run list by a catcher, Rudy York is number one with thirty five. Lance Parrish in nineteen eighty four hit thirty three. D York did it thirty three and thirty eight. I'm not going to list the whole thing, but basically, like some of the most noteworthy catchers in Tiger's history like are on this list, and the most of this century, I would say, is Eric Hosts in twenty twenty one, he hit twenty two home runs. Like safe that Dylan Dingler will top that number. But like we talked and we are about Dylan Dingler behind the plate and then just like his overall hitting ability. But like once you kind of get up to thirty home runs, now we're talking about like you're a slugger catcher, right, So like that's just kind of how you get thought of.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think thirty's in there for Dingler?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think it is. I think, you know, he hasn't gone deep in a while. I think I'm not stunned buy that he was hitting homers at such a prodigious pace that I almost expected like, Okay, this will probably eventually slow down.
Speaker 3: A little bit. Dylan Dingler is a really good player.
Speaker 4: The last two years, he's certainly made a compelling case to really believe in his offensive ceiling. But like, is this really a thirty five forty home run guy? That's a stretch for not just any catcher that's a stretcher. There are only a select few guys in all of baseball who can really do that on a perennial basis. I think Dingler's set himself up quite well, already being at nineteen. So I'm not I think he can get to thirty. I don't think he can get to thirty five. And so if Dylan Dingler hits number thirty six, I'll go tell him I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: What was it? What would his reaction be if you told him we were sorry.
Speaker 3: He'd probably'd be like, what, I don't think Dylan's.
Speaker 2: I got a report? Why are you talking to me? I got a scout report?
Speaker 9: Three?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So yeah, Dylan Dingler is our Daily Dinger pick. You guys can head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started with Daily Dingers. That's FanDuel dot com slash Podcast. Opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer? Playball and Swing for the Fences on FanDuel and official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 11: No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions supply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Dylan Dingler, Cody just wanted to remind everybody that you guys can go to foul Territoryshop dot com and we have a twenty twenty six All Star collection up there, and there's a drop that includes Kevin McGonagall and there's gonna be more. There's a QR code if you're watching on YouTube, you can go straight there. Keep an eye out for more officially licensed gear throughout the rest of the season and playoffs. It will be every all Star on here foul Territory Shop dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really cool shirts right here.
Speaker 4: If you're into it, go go skin the QR code and check it out. These are worth getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, let's let's wrap up here. Cody Casey Myz came out of the game today. We didn't really get a chance to kind of talk much about it. Obviously, we don't know the stent of everything, but he got hit kind of like a little bit of a comebacker on the left wrist hand area. Again, trying to be vague. Obviously don't know the full extent of everything. But then aj Hinch afterward said there was also like some some growing tightness, you know, kind.
Speaker 2: Of kind of like the ultimate wait and see.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens tomorrow, because you don't like the combination of contusions and tightness.
Speaker 2: I don't like that combination, Cody.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: The initial report seems to be that the hand slash, wrists, slash whatever is okay, so we hope that remains to be the case. Don't love hearing groin tightness, given that the groin is already sent in myce to the injury list twice this season, and it's unfortunate that this is seemingly some sort of recurring thing for him. No, we don't know for sure if this was another strain or maybe a cramp or whatever. We'll learn more about that, right, But you know, when it happened the second time, I'd kind of ask Casey, have you have you figured anything out as to why this happened twice? You know, I'm like, you know, I'm getting older, right, trying to like take care of my body and realize I'm like, oh, I like right ankle, Like I really overpronate, and you know, like I think I had an interior pelvic tilt and if I had a major league training staff, they could probably like help me out with that stuff real quick, right, And that because they do. They identify stuff like that with guys. So is there something about Misa's body or his mechanics where he's compensating And I think he did say they were just trying to get him to open up a little more in his delivery, so there's not as much pressure on the groin. Seems like maybe they're still trying to get to the bottom of that. I just think it kind of I feel bad for Casey obviously given his injury history. We don't know the extent of this. It may be nothing, but you certainly hope it doesn't send him back to the IL. Just really for Casey on a personal level, you know, trade deadline and all that stuff completely aside. No one wants to have the same little nagging injury you keep coming back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: And you know, the like anything else with pitching, like you think the minute you think you have some sort of luxury, something happens. It just kind of throws things in limbo a little bit. So the Tigers were planning on going with a six man rotation anyway, but you know, again, depending on what happens with Casey, maybe some adjustments.
Speaker 2: Adjustments when we made there.
Speaker 1: Three with the Cubs this week, then four with the Royals, so like, not not a lot of room to just kind of like figure things out. Cody, like, we're we're off and running.
Speaker 5: Here and and and uh and by the time we talk, I mean, we're gonna have a couple of episodes this week, but by the time we get to the end of the week, maybe there will be some sort of clear picture and uh and looking forward to reacting to that with you and with all of you guys.
Speaker 2: You guys can follow.
Speaker 1: Us on next firmly known as Twitter at Cody Stavin Hagen. I am at Kieran Underscore. Steckley pot page is at Tiger Territory Underscore YouTube, Apple, Spotify. We are close to three k on YouTube. Please subscribe if you have not, we appreciate all of you. So for Cody Stavenhagen, I'm Karen Steckley. Everybody, have a great day.