Speaker 1: This is the USS Hamlet's Father's Ghost, requesting entry into Uranian orbit and the Uranian satellite system. We have decelerated and see clearance to titanium.
Speaker 2: Greetings, USS Hamlet's Father's Ghost. This is Mustard Seed. Can you state the purpose of your visit?
Speaker 3: Roger that Mustard Seed.
Speaker 1: I have two hundred and fifty Shakespeare enthusiast on board, just waking up for a tour of the Uranian moons. Our visit to the Royal Automated Uranian Theater on Titanius should be registered in the lock.
Speaker 2: All right, Roger that USSHFG. I can confirm your reservation now and docking credentials are good to go with your passengers. A pleasant and safe visit to the Uranian satellite system. The next automated Thespianoid performance will be let's see Ooh Edward the third Well, better luck next time.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hey you, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind.
Speaker 2: My name is Robert Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick, and we're back with Part two of our series on the planet Uranus and its moons. Now in Part one, we focused mainly on the planet itself. This time we're going to start getting more into the moons. Maybe we'll do all of the moons this time. I think last time we promised it would happen. We'll see whether we can fit it all into one episode. But I had a few more core planet digressions burning a hole in my pocket that I wanted to mention before we fly off to the satellites. Are you okay with that? Rob, Let's do it.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: First of all, I was wondering what's the density of Uranus, And it turns out that Uranus is the second least dense planet in the Solar System at one point twenty seven grams per cubic centimeter. The only planet less dense is actually Saturn, the second largest planet in the Solar System. You might wonder which planet is the dense baby, that's Earth.
Speaker 3: That's Earth.
Speaker 2: We are at five point five to one grams per cubic centimeter, so we are the density king. But one of the real things I wanted to return to was a question of materials, because in the last episode we mentioned just giving sort of an overview of the basics of the planet, that most of the mass of Uranus is thought to be a hot, dense fluid of ices, probably surrounding a rocky core of some sort. And though it might be kind of strange to hear like hot dense fluid of ices, that almost kind of doesn't make sense based on our definition of ice. And it's true that a lot of this ice is going to be different than the kind of ice we know. So I was reading more about this in an article by a planetary atmospheric scientist named Amy Simon, who is a senior researcher at NASA Goddard, and this was written for the magazine of the Planetary Society. The article is called the of the Ice Giants, and one of the questions Simon addresses in this article is why are the planets Uranus and Neptune called ice giants as opposed to regular gas giants. It's because, compared to regular gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are composed of a higher proportion of ice forming molecules like water and methane, though much of that so called ice is in a phase unfamiliar to us on the surface of Earth. Cymon writes quote, ice giants are mostly water, probably in the form of a supercritical fluid. The visible clouds likely consist of ice crystals with different compositions, So regarding supercritical fluid, a supercritical fluid doesn't behave exactly like a liquid, gas or a solid. It's an emergent state of matter occurring at temperatures and pressures beyond what is known as the critical point for each substance. And Simon has a very good paragraph clarifying the planetary science use of the term ice, which could help clear up any confusion there. She says that on Earth we usually use the term ice to refer to just water H two O when it is frozen solid, but planetary astronomers use the word ice to refer to any condensable molecule in its solid form. She writes, quote, these tend to be highly reflective form clouds, and unlike minerals, can readily change between liquid, solid and gas states at relatively low temperatures. So we're mainly familiar with water ice on the surface of Earth, but throughout space there are lots of ices. There's methane, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and phosphene pH three, and these are all condensable molecules and could all freeze in the atmosphere of Uranus and Neptune also for that matter, and Simon writes that most of the cloud clouds we see in the atmospheres of these ice giants are clouds of methane ice crystals or hydrogen sulfide ice, So there's probably weird supercritical fluids down below, and then an atmosphere above. The atmosphere in its gas contents, is mostly hydrogen and helium, but that atmosphere is probably full of traces of different kinds of ice, including not just H two O, but things like ammonia and methane. And speaking of methane, as we mentioned last time, the blue color of both Neptune and Uranus appears to come from the presence of methane in their atmospheres, which absorbs the red wavelengths of light from the sun and reflects only the blue spectrum. But the question is why is Urinus a paler shade of blue than Neptune. If you look at Neptune, it's often kind of a royal blue, whereas in true color, Uranus appears kind of a gray green blue. Simon writes that this is quote either because Urinus has more haze, so more kind of a cloudy outer shell, but she goes on or because Neptune's atmosphere has another unidentified constituent that absorbs longer wavelength light even more strongly, and of course longer wavelength light would be more red shifted toward the red end of the visible spectrum. Okay, so that's ice, the atmosphere, the makeup of the planet. But there's one more thing you may have seen headlines about regarding Urinus in Neptune that if you have seen these headlines, I'm sure you're wondering about it, and that is the claim that some experts have argued that it likely rains diamonds on Urinus in Neptune. And from what I can tell, this is true. Now, this is obviously something we haven't been able to detect directly with probes or anything, so nobody can sense this happening. Instead, it's based on what we do know about the planets and argue and sort of extrapolating logically from the starting facts. So how does the logic go? Well, I was reading about this in an article for space dot Com by the Sunny Stonybrook astrophysicist Paul M. Sutter, and in this article, Sutter explains that we know from mathematical models that the inner mantles of ice giants probably have temperatures of about seven thousand kelvins or over sixty seven hundred celsius and pressure about six million times the atmospheric pressure on the surface of Earth. Meanwhile, higher up in the mantle, things are cooler about two thousand kelvins and only two hundred thousand times Earth's atmospheric pressure. And we know that water, ammonia, and methane are present within that mantle. So what happens to those substances in those conditions, Well, these conditions of temperature and pressure would tend to tear apart molecules of methane, methane is H four carbon, and hydrogen. And when those molecules get torn apart, we are left with free carbon. Free carbon tends to link together with other free carbon to form long chains of carbon. What happens to long chains of pure carbon under high pressure that gets pressed into a diamond? These diamonds would tend to then drop down to lower in the mantle where high temperatures vaporize them, and then they float back up into the upper mantle, and then the cycle repeats, so you're left with diamond rain. Sounds like the name of a great alternate universe collaborative sci fi movie musical between Prince and David Bowie. Wish I could have seen it, but it does appear to be very likely a physical reality on Uranus and Neptune as well.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that all we have to do is jet out to Urinus, dip down into the atmosphere of Uranus, scoop up some diamonds, then get back to Earth and we're set for life.
Speaker 2: I've always said when I look at but the stars at night, what I see is profit. Okay, but one more digression before we get to the moons. Since part one, we actually got a really great bit of listener mail from Joe, not me, but a different Joe who listens to the show, who brought to our attention some really awesome photos of Uranus recently captured by the James Web Space Telescope. Joe writes, quote, I've long awaited with tremulous anticipation the resumption of your ural journey to the Heliopause and was thrilled to see the recumbent sky King Uranus on my podcast Feed Your Choice was timely indeed, as the James Web Space Telescope just last month released some spectacular visuals of Uranus. These images bost greater clarity than the Hubbles effort, especially of the planet's rings. I love living under a sky that will never run out of extraordinary things to look at and talk about, and I appreciate when you cast your gaze upward from time to time. Joe, Well, thank you, Joe. Because I had not seen these, I looked them up and this is fantastic. So I saw these within the context of a NASA press release from April sixth, twenty twenty three that Joe shared with us Rob, I pasted these two photos here in the outline. One is just zoomed in on the planet from the more zoomed out second one. I would say, from my perspective, these images are gorgeous. They fill one with awe at the picture of this frosty, dark recess where the Blue God lives. And this might sound a little bit weird, but I actually mean this in the best possible way. Somehow, in these images, Urinus looks more like an optical artifact than a physical object, as if the planet were like a glint or a lens flare. And to explain what I mean, so the planet is pictured on its side, because of course that's how it is. We're not seeing the rings laterally from the side, crossing over and behind the planet, like we do in most photos of Saturn. Instead, we're seeing the rings encircling the planet in an egg shape because we're looking roughly down toward the north pole, which faces sideways. And in this particular photo, though this is not exactly true color, the planet is pale blue with a white cap, and the rings sort of fade outward to inward from a screaming fluorescent white to a dim blue gray as they sink toward the planet's atmosphere. And the sunlight seems blinding in these images because we actually see it gleaming off the edge of the planet, which is even weirder because, as I said, the disk of Urinus facing us looks like a glint or a gleam itself. And in the more zoomed out of these two photos, we can see the blue dots of the larger moons surrounding it, also sending out these sort of shafts of reflected light in these hexagonal criss crosses out into space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these images are gorgeous. It makes it look like Urinus is a planet designed by Japanese illustrator Hajimi Soriyama, whose, of course I think he worked on the design for the original Sony Aibo robot, but also mostly known for robot pin up like really shiny, silvery robot pin up models. This artist is on my mind because the movie we're watching Friday in for Weird House Cinema, this artist is credited like deep down in the credits because there's a character in the movie that has some of this art up on his workstation. But this kind of but there's a certain aside from like the female robot bodies in his art, there is this kind of like glimmering, like silvery perfection to things. And that's what that's what I kind of get from this image of Urinus. And if you're into planets, like I mean, put it on a calendar. It looks it looks nice.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful. And I will say the blue in this photo, as I alluded to, is not exactly true color from the visible spectrum. I think it's approximate. So the image is from the webs near infrared camera combining data from two filters. According to the press release, it was one point four and three point zero microns, and then the article explains these are coded out to blue and orange respectively. Now I mentioned the white cap that we see on Uranus in this photo. The article explains that this is known as the polar cap, and it seems to manifest when the pole of the planet goes into direct sunlight during its long polar summer, which, again, as we talked about last time, lasts many earth years at a time, and then the cap seems to disappear in the fall when it starts to turn away from the sun. As far as I could find, we aren't sure exactly what causes this, or maybe if somebody knows, I just didn't dig that up. But so regarding the beautiful rings in the picture, Urinus has thirteen known rings, and you can see eleven of them in this photo, though some of them are so bright that they bleed together in the image. There are nine major rings and then there are two kind of faint dusty rings that were discovered during the approach of Voyager two in nineteen eighty six. But speaking of those, rings and moons. Rings and moons sometimes have an interesting origin story, so I was wondering where do experts generally think they came from in the case of Uranus. Going back to that Planetary Society article by Amy Simon, Simon writes that the medium sized moons of Uranus probably formed in place at the same time or after whatever event it was that left Uranus tilted on its side. And as we talked about last time, it seems likely that Uranus was probably knocked on its side and left colder than all the other planets because of an impact with a large object, maybe like an Earth sized planet billions of years ago. And so what we're left with is that the moons orbit Urinus on its equatorial plane, so like the planet itself and like its rings, the moons are tilted at a roughly ninety degree angle to the rest of the Solar System. In general, the moons of Urinus are made of ice and rock, usually slightly more ice than rock, and they show some interesting surface features, like patterns of darkening on their surfaces that are caused by some unknown material. Spectral analysis reveals the presence of frozen carbon dioxide on a lot of the moons. Meanwhile, the origin of the rings, the consensus seems to be that they are created by the shattering into dust and fragments of formerly solid moons. And as we've seen with other planets, the sudden or gradual smash up of moons can happen a number of ways, by lots of little collisions with meteoroids or other objects, or by tidal breakup due to gravity, in any case, turning former larger satellites into smaller satellites and rings of little fragments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fascinating. How from our human perspective we look up at our moon, we consider the moons of other worlds, and there's a certain certain stability to them, you know.
Speaker 3: But if you look at.
Speaker 1: Any planets, moons or moon, generally, you're looking at a more violent relationship over the vast history of a given planet. There's nothing peaceful about it. All right, Well, let's begin, at least begin to dip into the moons of Uranus. Like I said, we originally set out to do them all. Maybe we won't do them all. Maybe we'll get part way through the journey and we'll come back on Tuesday. Who knows, Maybe we'll just we'll just get we'll finish them up, and then we'll go right into Neptune.
Speaker 3: There are no rules. We can do what we want.
Speaker 1: So let's start with the inner moons of Uranus thirteen total known. All right, We're going to start with a pair of moons, Cordelia and Ophelia. These are named for the youngest daughter of King Lear and of course Hamlet's tragic beloved, respectively. The main significance of these moons is that both Cordelia and Ophelia are shepherd moons, as their gravity keeps Uranus's epsilon ring from dispersing.
Speaker 2: Now, I thought this was interesting, so I was looking up how exactly it is that shepherd moons work. What does the shepherd moon do? These little small moons, how do they keep a ring? Essentially, they keep a ring in tight formation around the planet and clear these gaps between the rings. And it seems that essentially it works like this. So you've got a small moon and it's orbiting planet. And imagine at first it's orbiting the planet along with a bunch of other small particles sort of within the lane of that small moon's orbit. Particles that are ahead of the small moon will be attracted by gravity to it, meaning if they're orbiting ahead of it, they will naturally want to slow down in their orbit, right because they're getting pulled toward this moon. But slowing down in their orbit actually causes them to lose energy and fall down closer to the planet that they're orbiting. So these like dust and particles and things in the ring actually end up sorting down into lower orbit rings. And then meanwhile, things that are orbiting along the same lane as this moon, that are behind it in its orbit are attracted to it and thus sped up. And as they get sped up trying to chase after this moon by the force of gravity, that acceleration actually causes them to have greater energy and to ascend in their orbit and end up going into outer rings beyond that little moon.
Speaker 1: So again we have the Shepherd moons here. They were discovered by Voyager two in nineteen eighty six. Like the rest of Uranus's inner moons, they appear to be roughly equal split of water, ice and rock. They're small. Of note to Cordelia is the closest to the planet, and I guess we should also point out or come back to the fact that yes, these are both Shakespearean references. There are going to be a lot of shakespeare references as we go through the moons of Uranus, and these are just the first two.
Speaker 2: It seems that a lot of the names of these satellites for some reason were chosen either from the works of Shakespeare or from the works of Alexander Pope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, predominantly Shakespearean, but definitely there's some key Alexander Pope references as well. So as we go through it, we can probably talk a little bit about some the namesakes here.
Speaker 2: Well, this was something I was wondering. I don't know about the origin exactly, like what people had in mind when they were naming these, But so I think, like, is there some significance to the innermost minor moon here being called Cordelia, because Cordelia is a very poignant character. Cordelia is the youngest daughter of King Lear in the play King Lear. If you don't know the play or need refreshing, the very beginning of it, the first scene is King Lear is this old king. He comes out. He decides that he will divide up his kingdom between his three daughters, Goneril, Reagan, and Cordelia, and he's going to give the largest portion to the daughter that loves him most. So Goneril and Reagan give these speeches where they overwhelm their father with absurd insincere flattery about how much they love him. And then when it's Cordelia's time to speak, she finds that she cannot put into words, She cannot express her love for her father to herself. She says that she knows her love is richer than her tongue. And then when it's her time to speak, she says, unhappy that I am. I cannot heave my heart into my mouth. I love your majesty according to my bond, no more nor less. And I think he gives her a chance to amend her statement. She doesn't really, and then so Lee gets furious at this decides to disinherit her. He gives nothing to Cordelia, splits his kingdom between the other two daughters, Goneril and Reagan, who secretly think he is a fool and they will go on to betray him once they come to power. And of course it's a tragedy, so things just get worse and worries. Basically everybody ends up dead but you know, it's a very meaningful character and something I think, I don't know. That moment in the first scene is something that always got me, something I can really relate to, Like the feeling of worrying that you don't express positive feelings because you're afraid that you can't phrase them in the sincerest way, like you don't know how to put them to words. So then you worry that like you're perceived as not wanting to say a positive thing at all. I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I mean, certainly with the example here from the play, absolutely.
Speaker 2: But she's the daughter that truly loved him. She just didn't want to give a big, insincere speech.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: It's a very meaningful character. So I'm wondering, is there some similarly at play here in the selection of the name for this moon? Maybe not so, Like it's a very small satellite, it's the closest to the planet of these. It is one of the shepherd moons that sort of guides the Epsilon ring and keeps it tight in formation. By the end, I mean, she does show great discipline because she comes back with an army to try to to fight on her father's side against her cruel, duplicitous sisters. I don't know, maybe not. I don't know if it fits, but I was wondering.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's natural to try and read some sort of sense into the naming.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: Of course, as we'll discuss it, it's different people at different times coming up with these names. You know, some are maybe probably a little more up on the works of William Shakespeare than others. Sometimes there's there seems like something they could be getting, at other times not. And also some of these kind of slip by on a technicality, so they're kind of all over the place. All right, let's let's go into the next one. There's a Bianca named after Kate's sister in the Taming of the Shrew. This one does nothing really else that I think is significant about it, and it was also discovered by Voyager two. All right, after that, we have Cressida. This is the title character from Troylus and Cresida. Again, nothing other else it's really significant about this moon it was also discovered by Voyger two. I know some of your probably wondering when's Voyager six is going to show up in all this? But I guess Voyger six just shot right out there, right.
Speaker 2: I was unsure, but what you're for di vigure here? Right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Voyager six doesn't actually exist except in the world of Star Trek, okay, specifically Star Trek the motion picture, the most riveting of all of them, that was pinned by Alan Dean Foster. Oh wait, was he the one who wrote.
Speaker 2: The novelization of Halloween three or something like that?
Speaker 1: He wrote the novelization of most films? Yes, all right. The next moon of note here is Desdemona. This one's named after the wife of Othello. No other real significance, once again discovered by Voyager two. All right, now we're moving on to another one. This is Juliet or Juliet right if you're depending on how you're what line from the play using sometimes you got to hit two syllables instead of three on that. This is of course, named after the title character from Romeo and Juliet. Romeo, meanwhile, is nowhere to be found amid the moons of Uranus. It is kind of interesting that there's a part in Romeo and Juliet where Romeo is swearing his love up and down the universe and Juliette specifically asked him not to swear by the moon. She says, quote, oh, swear not by the moon, the inconstant moon that monthly changes in her circle orb less that thy love prove likewise variable.
Speaker 2: Changes in her circle? Orb What does that refer to, like the like waxing and waning of the moon or maybe I'm not sure I know.
Speaker 3: What that means.
Speaker 1: I mean I take it to me and yeah, it's like there are different faces of the moon, Like like if your love is like the moon Romeo, then I don't you know, it's like what am I going to get today? I mean it seems like if it is like the moon, she could chart it out and then she'd have a really good idea of what she's gonna get, you know, phase by phase. But yeah, she's like, I need consistency.
Speaker 2: Right, your love should not wax and wane. We shouldn't have a new moon of your love. Yes, it's were wolf night every night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Aside from these thoughts, juliet nothing else than literally significant once again discovered by Voyger. Two, then we have Portia. This one is named after the heroine from the Merchant of Venice. This one. I guess the main significance is that it orbits Urinus in less than one earth day, and it.
Speaker 3: Was discovered by Voyger two. All right.
Speaker 1: Up, next we have Rosalind. Rosalind is one of the Duke's daughters in As You Like It. That's the namesake. Nothing else really significant to discuss here.
Speaker 3: This one was also discovered by Voyager two. All right.
Speaker 1: The next one is Cupid. This is this one? This one is is a tough one to fit in, but okay. Cupid is, of course the Roman god of.
Speaker 2: Love, famously invented by William Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: Well, he is technically a character in Shakespeare's what is it timin Timon of Athens. I'm not familiar with this play. I don't know anything about that one. This may be one of the more obscure ones. I don't remember studying this one in school. But the discovery of it is kind of interesting because it was discovered by m R Showalter in JJ Lissauer using the Hubble space telescope in two thousand and three. It was too small and too dark for Voyager two to spot. And I was thinking about this. It's tempting to try and spin this one out. And think of like, Okay, here we have Cupid as this dark, near invisible shadow press presence, you know, reminding us of past discussions about how Cupid was sometimes said to shoot lead and arrows. So it's you know, he's not only dealing out love with his projectiles, but also some of the ramifications of love, and maybe even the tragic ramifications of love. But again, this one, this one seems to sort of slip by on a technicality in terms of its naming. All right, the next one is Belinda, And this is one where we have to just have to ask Shakespeare to move over, because this one is named after the character whose lock of hair is stolen in Alexander Pope's Rape of the Lock.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an unfortunately titled poem because it doesn't mean what it sounds like. That the poem by Pope is an older definition of the word rape, which is basically, in this context it means like theft or snatching. So the poem is a mock heroic satire. It narrates like a social scandal in which a lord of some sort. I did read this in school, and I forget a lot of the details, but he steals a lock of hair from a young woman. But it's written like in the style of the Iliad, to be mocking of the like, oh hoho, this is actually insignificant. I think Pope's point is best summarized in one of its lines, where he says, what mighty contests rise from trivial things? Though I don't know, thinking on it now, there are obviously much worse crimes, but stealing somebody's hair is pretty weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Plus hair has magical connotations. They could be stealing it to work some sort of magic. Maybe that's explored in the poem. I don't know. I have a degree in English, and I somehow managed to never read this poem. I remember that, you know the course. I'm familiar with the author's name and his popularity and importance in English literature, but I remember this title would come up and I would think, Oh, that doesn't sound like something I want to read, not realizing that it's about hair theft Alexander Pope.
Speaker 2: Everything I recall that he wrote is basically satirical in nature. I'm sure he must have written serious poems, but like the other main thing I remember he wrote is something called the Dunceiad, which is a sort of an epic poem about stupidity.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: He was like, it seems like he was just really into not suffering fools.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: I feel like if that's your main vibe, you really open yourself up to scrutiny, don't you.
Speaker 1: All Right, well, we'll come back to Pope's work in a bit, because there are more moons named after him. The next one is Perdita, and this is the daughter of Leontes and Hermione in William Shakespeare's The Winter's Tail. This one's discovery is actually pretty interesting because Voyger two is involved in its discovery, but it wasn't recognized till two thousand and three. Basically, University of Arizona's Eric Karkoshka discovered it by comparing Voyger two imagery with Hubble imagery and sort of working out its existence based on these two different streams. All right, up next, we have Puck Is, of course, named after the sprite from A Midsummer Night's Dream. Stanley Tucci played him in the nineteen ninety nine film adaptation, which had a great cast. I do remember seeing this film when it came out, and I imagine I've seen multiple it seems like Midsummer Night's Dream is just one of those plays that if you're just going to fall into seeing it, even if you don't set out to watch Shakespeare in life.
Speaker 2: Puck's a great character, great mischief maker, the mischief maker who brings wisdom, whether on purpose or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Tucci was perfect casting. Now significance. Here is the smallest of the inner moons, with a diameter of about one hundred and fifty kilometers or about ninety miles, And it was guess what discovered by voyager two? All right, up next we have Mab. It's named after Queen Mab, queen of the fair Folk and English folklore. She's mentioned in Romeo and Juliet So and just mentioned. So it just really really squeaks by on a technicality. I mean, this is one of those situations where I feel like I want to shout a little bit and be like, look, there are a lot of names that are mentioned in Shakespeare, and there are plenty of characters. I don't know why Queen Mab seems like the ideal choice.
Speaker 2: Here is there an inner moon named Julius Caesar?
Speaker 1: No, but you know you could that would have been a good one Caesar, right, But that's just off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if there's some other.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I should also point out when you start looking. And I didn't get into this in any of my note taking, really, but there are individual features on some moons that are likewise named after other things. So it could be a Caeesar in there somewhere, you know what.
Speaker 2: Actually, I want to be fair, Even a lot of the Shakespeare characters that we think of as more original shakespeare characters are actually often from like adapted versions of pre existing tales. Like a lot of Shakespeare's plays were not wholly made up stories. They were based on something from history or from an older story or another play, or something right right, Like who would have thought of it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Hamlet is the guy from the Northman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you were around today, he'd be uh, you know, he'd be in the MCU somewhere working on a project.
Speaker 4: Of it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Mab is the moon here. This one's discovered in two thousand and three by show Alter and Lisaur using the Hubble space telescope.
Speaker 2: Interesting in fact, I came across while reading that article by the NASA Goddard researcher Amy Simon. She writes that Mab quote maybe generating a tenuous blue toned ring like Enceladus does for Saturn's e ring, though the source currently remains a mystery.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that sounds kind of fitting for the Queen of the fairy Folk.
Speaker 3: So I do like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking at the clock, and do you know what the clock reads. It reads a promise broken because we said we were going to do all of the moons within part two, and I think we have failed because we're coming up against a time limit. We got to cap it here and we've got all of the major moons left to talk about. So I think that's going to have to be part three of our series on Uranus and its satellites.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully we didn't mess anybody up there, But I think the journey will be better for breaking into three parts here, and there's gonna be a lot of fun stuff to talk about, especially with the major moons of Uranus and then getting also into just some of the additional Shakespearean.
Speaker 3: References in the naming of these moons.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, if you would like to catch up on past episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, including our past episodes dealing with the moons of Jupiter and Saturn and Mars and so forth. You'll find those in the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed, which you'll find wherever you get your podcasts. We have core episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind airing there on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays, we open up the mail bag on our listener mail episodes. That's primarily where we read emails from people. Occasionally we'll read one in an episode, as in today's episode, you know, if it relates to the subject matter, but generally it's going to be in the Monday episodes. On Wednesdays, we do a short form artifact or monster fact episode this week. Of course, it ties into our theme of Urinus, so go check that out if you haven't. And then on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. Our selection for this week does not have anything to do with the planet Uranus, but that it's still.
Speaker 3: A lot of fun. Bye God.
Speaker 2: We'll find a way to tie it in by the time Friday comes around. Anyway, Huge thanks as always to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 4: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: Its West d d