Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Welcome to the Marin Dogs Money Market Rap, where we break down the biggest moves in the markets this week and what has been driving them. I am Marinsum's at Web Bloomberg's UK Money's Editor at Large.
Speaker 2: And I'm joined stay we Senior report on North out of the money Distilled newsletter.
Speaker 1: Welcome back from yet another holiday, John, Thank you nice time.
Speaker 2: It was wonderful. It was great. It was actually much cooler than London as well. Really okay, a couple of degrees cooler on lying was in Greece, okay.
Speaker 1: And while you were away lots of stuff happened.
Speaker 2: It did unusually normally. I come back and I just read a big call about who nothing's changed?
Speaker 1: And true every time you sw away something happened.
Speaker 2: Every time what happened? The last name was a week?
Speaker 1: Can't probably some kind of another prime miniege. Most definitely another prime minister. What else would it be? One a week? Right? You only have to go on holiday for two weeks and you've got a couple of your belt. Anyway, the interesting stuff that has happened while you've been away to the e send that any of this stuff is actually deeply interesting, is that we have this new candidate for prime minister who's acting as though he is prime minister already, which I have said, I'm mildly irritating, but that's just me. And he has given us a speech no questions allowed at the end of about roughly what his policies might or might not be, and some people would say word salad. Some people find it very inspiring. I don't know, what did you think, John, I.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go away, mostly walked Salid. I feel that I feel that I said he was just he was repeating a lord to stuff which seems like common sense and that everyone says when they get in it pout and it's like, why can't we do this? Why isn't this easier? But actually not then explaining how he was going to do any of it, because clearly these common sense things can't be easy or else they have been done by they have.
Speaker 1: Been down already exactly. I'm particularly enjoying on social media the not the Messiah posts. I don't know if you've seen this.
Speaker 2: This is a life that's very good.
Speaker 1: And I'm also looking forward to from being properly dressed. I know I've had this conversation before. With the love of God, my politicians dressed properly world stage and all that not dignified, and I want author I want dignified. So this week we're going to do things a little bit differently. It's less of an immediate market wrap and more of a sort of deep diver and largely everything that happens in UK politics is relevant for markets, so we're going to talk about that. And we have asked onto the show one of our previous guests, Roger Lee, who's the head of equity strategy at Cavendish, because we want to talk a little bit more about what exactly is now becoming known as Manchester Rism if you haven't.
Speaker 3: Come across it before.
Speaker 1: This apparently is the governing philosophy which is associated with Andy Burnham, who as you know, is the former mayor of Greater Manchester and seems to be looking to move a lot of government function to Manchester. So whether you agree with all this or not, it is an idea that people are talking about, is that we think it's worth unpacking a little bit. So Roger, very kindly, thank you. Roger has come into the London studio to explain how he understands Manchesterism. I don't think this is going to take off because it's quite a difficult word to say, what it is, where it comes from, and what it could mean for investors and the UK economy.
Speaker 3: Roger, welcome back, thank you and thank you for having me back.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not going to be saying that when I've asked you to explain what Manchesterism is.
Speaker 3: If I can say it, or you'll edit it out appropriately. What is Manchesterism? Given that we've only been fully aware of it for the last twenty four hours, obviously whatever I'm about to say is clearly subject to change. But my understanding, and I think most commentator is understanding of Manchesterism. It's just it's an extension of state intervention. It's an extension of state intervention, but this time, instead of it being the state intervening in the economy at a national level, it's an attempt to intervene at a local level. And the hope is that the outcome of that will be better than the outcome when the state has tried to intervene in a national level. And then Andy Burnham was quite explicit of this. I mean there's a direct quote from him where he says that intervention at a national state government level has not worked and earn this needs to be applied more locally. And I think that really is the point here, is that we're not changing any philosophy here in terms of an economic philosophy. This is merely more state of intervention applied differently, and I think that is absolutely the key to understanding what manchester Ism is now. I think it's as I say, I stress, it's an extension of what we have already seen. And I think John was mentioning this. So a lot of these ideas are floated around. You could cut and pay and you'll have seen these comments from other commentators, but you could cut and pay George Osborne's the Northern Powerhouse. You could cut and pace leveling up his attack on the civil service. That could have been Dominic Cummings standing there. A lot of this is not different. It's just expressed perhaps in a more charismatic, authentic way, but it really is just an extension of the state intervention that we've seen really since the financial crisis. And if I may just step back a bit and why I am not only convinced that it is merely an extension of the existing state interventionism that we see at the moment, or statism. It won't work. But let's put this into some sort of historical context. Marrin if I may, now, I wish i'd written this, I haven't. It's I think it's smile Ferguson. Now, certainly, Professor Ferguson, I think he had this great insight and he talks about the great arcs of politic political thinking in the UK, and he talks about, you know, we came off the Second World War. We'd had this titanic victory and basically delivered by a state controlled economy. The state had beaten the enemy, and then obviously in the immediate post war period, the state then decided it was going to protect its individuals and establish a welfare state and social services. Now, so this idea of statism, the idea that the state can deliver everything, was enshrined really in those post war areas, and that carried on all the way through through the sixties. We had this one nation conservatism and that was not arguably it wasn't actually that different to what the Labor Party were crowsing in the sixties and of course this came to a fruition in the nineteen seventies where we had where we obviously had a lot of state intervention. This idea then in that Ted Heath had in the early seventies that he couldn't allow unemployment to go over a million people, and so therefore he ended up buying the Clyde Shipyards and bailing out rolls, rocks, et cetera, et cetera. And of course this culminated in the grim economic reality that we could not afford this level of state intervention, and it culminated, of course in nineteen seventy six with an IMF intervention, which was the largest bailout the IMF had ever done at that point. And then of course we start the next great arc, which obviously is the competing theory that actually it's not the state that delivers growth, its free markets, obviously founded by Anthony Fisher at the IEA, championed by Keith Joseph and obviously the greatest exponents politically with Missus Snatcher and Ronald Reagan. And then that overarching philosophy then was applied through the eighties and obviously then through the nineties, and that begrudgingly was adopted by New labor perhaps or they accepted the need of that in the two thousands, but that came to a crushing hold in the financial crisis, because it was quite clear that free markets, unbridled free markets, unregulated free markets in the financial system effectively bankrupted the world, and the state in the UK and in Europe and in the United States then had to intervene again. And so we start the next great arc of history, which is what we are seeing now, which is the ever increasing role of the state in our lives, to the extent that the state thought it control a virus, to what we have now is the state will deliver growth. And so what we are seeing here I think I would suggest is perhaps I don't know whether it's the final but it's certainly the latest iteration of statism in practice as part of this great arc of politics, this competition between these two competing ideologies. I think that is the context of what we're looking at. It is the eatst iteration of statism in an attempt to drive growth, and the evidence would suggest that that growth is going to be elusive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to us, that sounds like doubling down on stuff that already hasn't worked in that I think we would say being more of a free market I'm sorry speaking for you again, John, we've being more of a free marketeered mind. We would say that if you were to remove all the state sponsored policies that are paralyzing the private sector, you would get your growth.
Speaker 3: It's genuinely accepted by most economists that you need three economic pillars to grow an economy. You need low regulation, low tax burden, and low energy prices. We, of course in the UK have got the complete opposite of those three. And so then why are we surprised when we struggle to grow, we increase the regulatory burden, we increase the tax burden, we increase the energy burden, and why are we surprised that growth slows even more? Who then look at the United States, who are doing what would genuinely be accepted as pro growth supply side and fiscal economics. They're reducing the regulatory burden, they're reducing the tax burden, and of course they've got some of the lowest energy prices in the Western world. And there is no surprise therefore that they are growing quicker than anyone else in the Western world. So what Andy Burnham is doing, I'm afraid is we are having another go. And I think this is an idea to me anyway, that this is statism applied harder and applied differently, and I fear the outcome will be exactly the same as other forms of status and that we've seen over the last few years.
Speaker 2: Just be clear, it's not someone. It's devolution on this sell of the idea of pushing poles more locally. That's the issue so much. It's just this is basically just and de way of painting. It looks like he's going in a different direction. Bactly, he's just doing the same thing as Stalin has already been doing.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's an extension of that. Again, I don't mean to be flippant, but he is literally moving the desks around. Yeah yeah, Now's just the thing.
Speaker 2: Britain is heavily centralized and I think this is the point lots people make is the likes of compare to other countries. So much of the taxi because administered centrally, wouldn't to be a good idea if local regions had more ability to can take account of what's going on in their areas and administered according it has.
Speaker 1: Devolution actually worked in Manchester and we hear a lot about it relatively fast growth rate and everything that's been done there, but it's also got massive amounts of debt. Is that growth or is that debt?
Speaker 3: I don't know the Manchester economy well enough mirror. It's quite difficult to unpack whether devolution in Edinburgh, Wales has worked at alone, with a devolution in a metropolitan area's work and telly where it has worked, we will talk about where it has worked. So if anyone asks you where has devolution worked now, devolution tends to work from an economic perspective or where they have what they call as competitive federalism, And some people talk about this as competitive devolution, but I think the economic term is competitive federalism. This is some very clear examples of this. Florida and Texas in the United States would be seen to have very successful economies relative to the other United States because they are able to effectively set their own tax rates, both corporate and personal, and they have well known attracted a significant number of inward investment as a result of that. A bit closer to home, Switzerland is a classic example of competitive federalism amongst the cantons. Now, of course there is the famous canton which is perhaps the most attractive for inward investment, and that's Zug. And I have to confess I'm not totally sure where Zug is, but it does. What is a common feature of this competitive federalism is that devolved regions are able to set a regularity burden, and most importantly they're able to set a fiscal tax burden. And so the competitive federalism comes as being a great example, Florida, Texas being example as well of setting low taxation and low regulatory burden. Now, if devolution and we stressed our again, so I'm not being dismissive about if devolution was let's say, we were going to set up Whales as the zug of the UK and the Welsh National Assembly were going to slash corporation tax to zero, and they were going to slash personal income tax to fifteen percent, and they were going to remove a lot of the corporate regulatory burden that the rest of the UK suffers from. I could strongly predict that the Welsh economy would grow very quickly. I didn't sense in Andy Burden speech that was the direction of travel, because he actually talks about tax raising powers amongst the regents tax raising I don't sense that the good Burghers of Zug would be talking about tax raising powers.
Speaker 1: We did. We often talk about this in the context of Scotland, saying they have all these tax powers and wouldn't it be great if they used it to compete with the rest of the UK on taxes, et cetera. But they don't seem to want to do that, So federalism doesn't seem to be natural to the UK.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, this is the other interesting and again s got job. There weren't any questions yesterday because if you're if you are thinking about devolution in terms of establishing competing metropolitan regions, then that sounds like awfully similar to Singapore on Thames. That was the fantasy or the objective, depending on where you sit in the Brexit debate. Of course, this idea of competitive federalism devolution really only works outside the EU anyway. I think there's a couple of observations here, a couple of risks that I'm not sure he addressed. The danger is as if you are literally just moving desks from Whitehall to town Hall, then you double up the bureaucratic burden. There is a cost to devolution, So how is that going to be paid for? There must be extra layers of regulation that will be applied. Here he's already talking about trying to get value for money, broader value criteria for assigning government contracts, and that sounds to me like more regulations. Where we're actually heading here where I said at the outset, we're actually increasing the amount of regulatory burden. We're probably going to have to increase the fiscal burden to pay for it all, and that will weigh on growth. And then there's the third element of this that I don't think has been properly talked about, is that yet again the market is faced with this fiscal uncertainty over what Burnham is going to do in his first budget. And this is the third time in this administration the market and corporates and individuals have had to second guess. And we've already seen them sort of the number of commentary about which taxes are going up and where the tax burden is going to fall, and so we end up with just more of the same. And that's really I'm afraid the prognosis I hope it works. I sincerely hope it does work. I hope this will be the exception to the rule. But I struggle to see where this sort of devolution has worked in the past. France has thirty five thousand mares, and France is faced with a fiscal potentially a fiscal certainly fiscal issues, shall we say not a crisis. Germany obviously has an ex very extensive federal system, and Germany is growing less than the UK is. It is difficult to cite examples where this devolution has worked without significant fiscal, tax and regulatory adjustments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a willingness to compete. I want to come back in a minute to the guilt market and the extent to which you think we can continue to bear this increase spending in the UK. But before that, one of the things that keeps popping into my head whenever we'd hear about Manchesterism and about the you had London can't be allowed to continue to be this giant, successful money producing how that than the South of England without everywhere else being pulled up along with it. What perhaps into my head is the what they call the Birmingham problem. Back in the nineteen sixties, when it was Birmingham that was considered to be far too successful, not okay, expanding too far, drawing in too many people, creating too many jobs, simply not okay. So instead of saying, let's look at Birmingham and see why they're doing so brilliantly and try and do the same and the rest of the country, the government put in place a series of policies deliberately designed to prevent Birmingham expanding any further. So there were various acts and policies. It means you couldn't get can get planning permits if you wanted to expand in the region, for example, then more commercial buildings allowed in the city center. So the instinct then, which seems feels a little Burnham to me, the instinct then was not to say, what are they doing, well, let's do that everywhere else, but to say this must be stopped. There.
Speaker 3: Of course, arithmetically two ways to reduce it equality, aren't they are the numerator or the denominator.
Speaker 2: That's toll popy evolution.
Speaker 3: I think again, what I'm concerned about and very curious, shall we say euphemistically about Andy Burnham's speech, was his nostalgia is clear nostalgia for the nineteen seventies. Now, I'm old enough to have lived through all the way through the nineteen seventies. I was quite young at the start, he used to say. But I do find it rather curious that Roburnham seems to have this nostalgia for the seventies, which was of course categorized characterized rather by a period of stagflation, the only time we've ever experienced real stagflation in the UK. It was the first time we've ever experienced mass unemployment since the Great Depression, and of course, as I've just mentioned, it's the first time and that the UK had to be bailed out by the IMF. It just seems to me odd that the seventies isn't the usual template for economic renewal and regeneration. In fact, most people would say it is the example of not what to do, and of course actually using that as the EXAs, I find that curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so let's talk markets. Then we're already in a big part of trouble debt wise in the UK. Spending simply doesn't seem to come down every time we get new fiscal rules, which we seem to get all the time. It's obvious from the beginning that they're not going to be kept, because it's always we spend upfront and promise we'll cut it later. We'll cut it later. Everything. I'll be fine later, we'll meet those fiscal rules. So I think we already knew that Rachel Reaves wasn't going to comply with her own fiscal rules, and now we're worried that Burnham might introduce some new fiscal rules, or change the terms of the existing physical rules, or have more exemptions, whatever it is that he does. But one thing that I think we're all reasonably clear on is that this spending binge is not ending. How much more will the market tolerate? Where does this come to any sort of end.
Speaker 3: That's a sort of really interesting question. I'm going to start by making a positive comment about burnham speech. I think, as again in we do try and be balanced, we do try and be objective, but we also can't ignore the historical and economic facts. But clearly one of the very positives that the market took from this is the Burdam said on a number of occasions that he was going to stick to the fiscal rules. So that is a very clear and demonstrable positive that the market took at face value. Now you and I have seen various commentaries subsequent to that about whether the fiscal rules will be extended over the ten year time horizon that he's talking about. I don't know whether that's he certainly didn't hint at that in the speech, so that's just purely speculation. I think any change to the fiscal rules would probably be received badly by the bomb market. Not that there isn't merit in extending the time horizon of the fiscal rules, it's just that we're coming at this from a position where I fear the credibility of the UK's fiscal position is very poor. And that's not me saying that. That is evidenced by the fact that, Okay, borrowing costs still the highest in the G seven. So I think we're coming at this from position of weakness in terms of our international credibility if you just basically just look at the bond spreads at the moment. So I think any sort of changes the fiscal rules could would probably be taken badly. So where are we as we stand at the moment, And again we come back to this thorny subject of the deficit, which is such a mystery to a lot of people, but is just it's just so important. And of course the deficit is the difference between what the government spends, which is about one point four trillion pounds a year, and what it generates, which is about one point three trillion in an ideal world. And then we take the difference of that and use that as a percentage over the size of the UK economic which is about three trillion pounds. So the numbers actually are quite simple. The makeup of those numbers is incredibly complicated. So where we are at the moment, in an ideal world economy runs with this deficit at about three percent of GDP. So again, just doing the maths, three percent of a three trillion economy is about ninety billion, and that's usually where most economists would argue it would be an optimal place for an economy to operate. So the simple maths at the moment, So the Ober forecast for this year is around one hundred and twenty billion. That has come down from last year for the reasons that we can talk about, but it's about one hundred and twenty billion. The problem is for the first two months of the fiscal year, our debt has exceeded the Ober forecast by seven point seven billion pounds. And so if you then just basically do some very rude arithmetic and just multiply that up by two months is seven point seven. If you multiply that by for the twelve months, then you get the fiscal deficit in the UK's around one hundred and sixty billion. That's just doing them very simple arithmetic. A lot of other moving parts I have to stress or tax take could be et cetera, et cetera, whether the economy slows, If the economy slows further, welfare payments goes up. But just merely extrapolating the first two months of the public secting neck borrowing over the course of the remainder of the year. Now that one hundred and sixty billion that translates if we do the maths over three trillion pounds of GDP, that translates to about five and a half percent deficit. That is what France is currently experiencing. The danger zone is said to be six. And you know, there are a lot of moving parts in this. What happens if the economy slows because of this increased burden of regulatory and tax burdens. The Employer Rights Act hasn't really fed through yet into into corporate profitability and behaviors. Maybe that will slow the UK Unemployment is sadly rising at the moment. We've seen this in almost every single month since the general election. If unemployment goes up, then the cost of welfare goes up and the tax take from those unemployed people goes down. Simple arithmetic. If the economy starts to slow, we've purchased less goods that which is on the largest tax risers tax generators in the UK, that comes down. So this is this is the sort of the reality that Andy Burnham is inheriting. People talk about it as a fiscal vice. It is a fiscal vice because he's stuck between. One side of the vice is the bomb market that seems very reluctant to allow more borrowing, and the other side of the vice is a parliamentary Labor Party that seems very reluctant to allow spending cuts. And he is called in the middle of that vice.
Speaker 2: I mean, Kevin that what do you think are the EIDs that he lasts any longer than Kostama Hayes.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I would be betting. If I was going to bet on this, I'd be betting that he'd be fighting the next election. I think the kind of the question behind your question if I made or I'll answer the question I wish you'd ask. I think if we look at this single most important issue to most voters, and you can go back almost to any opinion poll now for the last fifteen years, certainly the last five, it is usually depending on how people phrase it, is the cost of living crisis. It's basically the fact that people's incomes aren't going up, or aren't perceived to be going up. And it's basically a critique of the economy. And this is seventy percent. This is by far and away the most important issue, followed by immigration from the NHS. But we don't need to go to we do those subjects now. But the economy is the most important issue facing most voters and they express that as the cost of living. Will Andy Burnham's Manchesterism improve the economic outlook of the UK? I find it difficult. I think at best it will be merely an extension of what we have seen to date. At worst, I think, as I've already mentioned, it will be increased the regulatory burden further and it will increase the fiscal burden. So the risk, I stress the risk, it's not necessarily our forecast. The risk is the economy slows further from here and that is not going to be electorally popular for whoever is sitting in the number ten, even if they are more charismatic, more personable and more authentic. The reality is it's about the economy, yea.
Speaker 1: And I suppose the other thing to say is that even if Manchesterism was the right policy, which it could be, I mean, let's not be too judge you right, could be, it's very hard to imagine that it can be implemented successfully in time for the next election. These are long term policies and even if they are the right, policies that are difficult to put in place and not immediate it.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great point, Marin. It's time and what you could end up with. Let's assume that it works. Let's assume that it works, as you just said hypothetically, Let's assume that it works. The immediate issue now facing the UK is this fiscal uncertainty until the next budget. So We've already got that to deal with. That's going to be a hangover. We know how the markets responded that. Because we've been here twice before, we know that there will be There has to be cost associated with this. There has to be cost and that you would think that would be some sort of drag on the economy before you get the benefits at some point in the future. So I think it will all be difficult to see how this could this could start to bear fruit, even if it were to bear fruit by July twenty twenty nine, which I think is the latest state for the next election, but yes, it will be. It will be very interesting when maybe that begs the question of whether Burnham does go for an earlier election or not. If I was part of one of his strategy teams, I might be thinking about the timing of this.
Speaker 1: I would decision I would do it. I would definitely do it. Would you go for an early election? John, if you're Andy Burnham, I need a yes or a no, because we're about to wrap. I'm going to see yes, yes, yes, And with you Roger, if you were actually Andy Burnham, yes or no? Would you go for an early election?
Speaker 3: Oh? Definitely not.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Definitely they're definitely not risk a hung parliament.
Speaker 1: No, okay, irritating, I felt something exciting might happen. Never mind, So on that happy note, Roger, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and thank you John, Thanks Milan.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening for this week's Marin Talks Money, Markets Rap. If you like our show, rate review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcast ors. If you should follow me in John on ex or Twitter at marins w and John Underscore step Back. This episode was produced by Some Anxiety and Jennifer Seeley's sound designed by Blake Maples and Aaron Casper. Questions and concenters on this show and all our shows are always welcome. Our show email is Merror Money at Bloomberg dot net