Speaker 1: Hey bride, So I'm besties, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright side, we're learning how to brighten our lives with.
Speaker 1: A little pop of color.
Speaker 2: Oooh, the Queen of Color herself is here, Courtney Quinn. She has over a million followers that know her as color Me Courtney, And honestly, Simone, I'm a little scared for this conversation because you know, I'm a neutral tone girl.
Speaker 1: I wear a lot of black.
Speaker 3: This is good for you, Danielle. It's really healthy. It's Friday, April twelfth.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boye, I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: All right, Simon, what's on for the weekend?
Speaker 3: Weather's really good in La. Right now, I'm thinking about firing up the pool for the first time this season. Get the kids in the pool.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm really jealous when you talk about that, because you know, I grew up in harsh winters the Midwest.
Speaker 1: The cold in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Is so real, and I used to like just look at people in magazines that lived by pools, and I just couldn't even imagine that, like your kids get to grow up by.
Speaker 3: A I know, I think growing up in Florida spoiled me because we had a pool growing up, and everyone I knew, all my friends had pools. Obviously, I know that that's like a very privileged thing, so I'm very grateful for it and aware of it. But it was it was important for us to have that for our kids if we could make it happen, and thankfully we found a beautiful spot that has one, so it's really fun.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like a pool party when you're eleven.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: They don't hit the same when you're like twenty one and in Vegas and in those gross foam pools.
Speaker 1: That was never for me. The eleven year old pool party. That was a jam.
Speaker 3: That was the best. Putting the water balloons in your bathing suit top, did you do that? Or was that just me?
Speaker 1: I had huge boobs so that couldn't fit any water.
Speaker 3: You didn't have to. What about the George Washington hair flip? Did you ever do that? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, georget To Washington.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, Georgina, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm always so fascinated by how these things all over the country.
Speaker 3: Yes happened.
Speaker 2: Even though we didn't have Instagram, we didn't have social media. Yeah, like, how did we all know about the George Washington hair flip?
Speaker 3: We all did it. It somehow traveled through the ether. I remember eating like Domino's pizza out of boxes and like being just like dripping wet, but like shoveling pizza into my mouth.
Speaker 1: It was just so fun, so fun. I love that your kids are gonna have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna have to come up one day and hop in the pool over the summer.
Speaker 1: You don't have to ask me twice. I'm a pool girl. I love being in the water.
Speaker 3: I do too. What are you up to this weekend?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm nervous. I'm cleaning out my closet.
Speaker 2: I do a once a year cleaning, a big cleaning, and I invited a friend over to help me. Because I'm not one of those people that can just pick up a shirt and say does this bring me joy and put it into a yes or no pile. I need someone to laugh at me, embarrass me, and shame me into throwing something out.
Speaker 3: That's a really good friend who will sit through this with you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a camp friend. Camp friends will do everything with you.
Speaker 3: It's true. It's true because this is like a six to eight hour commitment.
Speaker 2: At least it's gonna be thirteen hours for me because I have twelve black tank tops and twelve white ones. Like I have all of the same things, I just have a ton of them, So it's deciding which cut looks the best, which one is not yellowed.
Speaker 3: Today's episode is perfect for you and anyone else out there because Courtney Quinn is the raining expert on color and so she's gonna help you just brighten up your wardrobe.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I want that.
Speaker 2: I like my neutral toned wardrobe. I worked very hard on curating it.
Speaker 1: Actually.
Speaker 3: Okay, well listen, no one's forcing you to change, Danielle. It's up to you. The choice is yours.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to live through my closet clean out. I don't need to talk about it anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, before we get to the weekend, here's what's popping on our feeds today.
Speaker 1: This is your morning drip.
Speaker 3: Okay, y'all. Another core memory from childhood is heading to the big screen. Margot Robbie is making a Monopoly movie. Whoo, It's gonna be fun. She's so good at making films. I mean, after Barbie crushed the box office last year. This makes a lot of sense. She's gonna be turning the classic board game into a lot action movie.
Speaker 2: I am really excited that they're bringing this movie to life because there's so many characters in it. There's actually a lot of lessons to be learned, like financial investing lessons to be learned through Monopoly. Also, Margo Robbie is a producer. Excites me, oh because for sure people totally underestimate her. They see this beautiful blonde woman and they think Barbie, but they don't realize that she was a producer on that she's producing this.
Speaker 1: She really takes control of her career.
Speaker 3: Yes, I could not agree more. I will watch anything she does just because of her sheer ambition and like how daring she is as a creator.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: Speaking of daring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lenny Kravitz, Oh yes, oh, yes, we have to talk about this video of our father. Lenny Kravitz has been going around.
Speaker 2: Our father, our boyfriend, our husband, the Internet's husband.
Speaker 3: So if you haven't seen this video yet, Lenny posted this to his Instagram account. He is working out. He's on a bench, He's doing weighted crunches and the best part of this, besties, is that he's doing it in a purple mesh top, sunglasses and leather pants.
Speaker 1: Was this for the Gramm or was this real?
Speaker 3: I have no doubt that this is actually how he shows up to the gym every single day.
Speaker 2: I get it that he's a brand, but how could you wear leather pants to the gym? Do you remember that Friend's episode with Ross. He couldn't even go on a date in leather pants.
Speaker 1: They are warm.
Speaker 3: No, it's unhinged, It's completely unhinged. But this just shows that he is like one of our last living rock stars and he can't shake that rockstar persona even at the gym.
Speaker 2: I kind of think it was for the gram like he knows what he's doing. I see people wear denim to the gym sometimes, and I feel like that's unhinged.
Speaker 3: I just I'm getting I'm so uncomfortable at the mention of like denim and sweat. There's no wicking, there's no breatheability.
Speaker 2: How about the mobility of it all? It doesn't quite make sense. But the videos amazing.
Speaker 3: Have I told you my lenon gravit story?
Speaker 2: No, Okay, I'm so jealous that you even have a Lenny Kravitz story.
Speaker 3: It's not that good, but it exists. It exists. Okay, So I was twenty one years old. I was studying abroad in France, and I'm frolicking around Leone and I stumble into this store of oddities. It had like antiques and like weird artifacts in glass jars. It definitely had juman G vibes. And to this day I swear that the store owner was an actual wizard because we walk in, my friend and I and he's like, let me spray this perfume on you, and he's like, it has magical qualities. So he sprays this perfume on us. Okay, this man looks like a wizard too. He had the mustache, the little wizards tickler, everything, long hair.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, wizard's tickler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing underneath the bottom lip. It's like a little triangle. I digress. He coats us in this magical perfume. Right, and then a few hours later, we're bar hopping and we meet this group of musicians. Turns out they're turning the country with Lenny Kravits, and they wind up giving us backstage passes to go to his show, and so we go to the show and I got to meet Lenny Kravitz. I like was a total groupie at twenty one years old, like rocking out backstage at this Lenny Kravitz show and he was wearing a bathrob backstage.
Speaker 1: That tracks.
Speaker 3: Was he nice sunglasses?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Super nice. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is the most simone story because everybody sees you as this like really intellectual journalist, and then you get to know you and you are a wild child. So like this time you went to this random bar met Lenny. This all tracks for me.
Speaker 3: I know, my travel stories are a little dangerous. This one's pretty safe.
Speaker 2: Okay, today's a big fashion day, m hmm, because we have Courtney on. I'm cleaning out my closet, which when I clean out my closet, I tram my clothes and I'm like, who let me out of the house in this? And I can't believe I'm the one that let me out of the house in these things. But this caught my eye because in Style just released it's spring color palette, and surprise, surprise, there's a whole lot of color. So we've already established that I'm a black, white, and gray girl, which means that I'm very much out of style this season already, And according to their stylists, the colors of the season right now are Robin's egg blue, don't know what that is, lavender blue, pastel, pink, and blood orange.
Speaker 3: Okay, can we just set the record straight. I have to defend my girl periwinkle here, lavender blue is periwinkle.
Speaker 2: This is also giving very easter, Like, what do you mean? This is the spring color palette.
Speaker 3: This is always color. Well, it's always the spring color palette. It's pastel.
Speaker 1: This is the peep's palette, like.
Speaker 3: Go long, it is the peep's palette. I mean, I love a pastel. I'm here for most of these. So Robin's egg blue to me is kind of it's a light blue, but it has a little bit more green in it. I love a lavender blue aka periwinkle. I love a pastel, pink. I love all shades of pink. Blood orange.
Speaker 1: I'm here for the blood orange. I like an orange.
Speaker 3: You're losing me blood orange.
Speaker 1: You're wearing orange in your headshot.
Speaker 3: That's not blood orange, girlfriend, That is like the difference. That's tangerine. That's clementine. That's why do you know so much? About colors, cause I'm alive. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when I get my nails done, when I was younger, I used to do a French tip, and for the last i'd say ten years, I've done ballet slipper by SSI, and every single week I don't do gel I just do regular ballet slipper. And they always try to get me to do a color like They're like, just try a red or try this, and I'm like, Nope, don't have time to try things. Would you try any of these peeps palate color tones on your nails?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Actually, one of my next nail appointments is gonna be periwinkle, and then after that, I think I'm gonna do a cobalt blue and maybe a neon lime.
Speaker 2: I love how gen Z does press on nails. They're like, I don't have time to go sit at the nail salon. I'm just gonna do these press ons and change the color all the time.
Speaker 3: I don't have time for any of it, to be honest, I was at a conference and I was doing the press ons and I'm literally running out the door with the nail glue in my hand, finishing them in the elevator and like regluing them on because they came off.
Speaker 2: So it's always scared they're gonna like pop off while I'm speaking, I were like holding a microphone.
Speaker 3: That happened to me. I had to hide my thumb as I was speaking. It was, Yeah, it's all hard. It's just hard being a girl. Sometimes it really is all right. After the break, we're diving into the world of color with Courtney Quinn.
Speaker 4: Stay with us, Okay.
Speaker 2: We are adding a pop of color, not just to our wardrobe, but to our lives. Whether it's the calming blue of the ocean or the fiery red of a sunset, colors have a profound impact on our emotions and perceptions.
Speaker 3: Known as color Me Courtney to over a million followers online, Courtney Quinn is famous for her out of the box sense of style and obsession with all things colorful. After years of working in the corporate world for brands like Tommy Hillfigure, Kate Spade, and Coate, Courtney left to pursue color Me Courtney full time as a content creator and entrepreneur. She's partnered with brands like Barbie, Netflix, and she just designed her very own clothing and accessory line with Disney, which sold out, and it was inspired by the first black animated Disney Princess Princess Tiana. Courtney, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the bright Side, Courtney.
Speaker 5: Hi, guys, thanks so much for having me, Danielle.
Speaker 3: We should also mention that Courtney is in the Hello Sunshine Collective with us, which, by the way, for anyone that doesn't know, the Hello Sunshine Collective is just a community of creatives, content creators and entrepreneurs curated by Hello Sunshine. And I've met so many incredible women through this opportunity.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. It's such a great network. Okay, color me, Courtney. You are all about color.
Speaker 2: You're almost inspiring me to try and live a more colorful life. And that's hard because I am a muted girl.
Speaker 5: That's always the goal.
Speaker 2: But in a world, especially in the millennial world of beige's and muted tones, why are bright, bold colors so important to you?
Speaker 6: I think color is so tied to confidence, and so it's so important to me to be able to infuse it into your world because it can really change and affect your mood. I've had instances where I'm having a bad day and I like, look down and I'm wearing like a gray sweatshirt and I'll go change into like something pink or bright, And sure that won't solve your problems, but it's one of the few things that you can control. I've also had circumstances, especially because I mostly live in New York City where it's very like gray and drab outside and everyone's wearing black coats and umbrella.
Speaker 5: So I'll walk out and wear a yellow.
Speaker 6: Raincoat or pink coat and people will light up strangers, it will bring like brightness to their day, and that I could make them smile for a moment just by what I was wearing is kind of like a superpower.
Speaker 3: You are such an impressive entrepreneur, content creator, and just creative in general, and your story is so inspiring to me. So I want everyone to hear your origin story. You always had an interest in fashion, But take me back to that time when you were living in New York City and you were looking for your big break.
Speaker 6: Sure, of course, like you said, I always was interested in fashion. I recently had this conversation with my fiance where he was like, what did you want to be when you grew up? And I said an astronaut of princess or I pictured myself wearing a yellow suit in like a boardroom, like with like marketing graphs, like either working in fashion of marketing, and he's like, that's really specific.
Speaker 5: You like pictured the.
Speaker 6: Outfit even before you knew what the job title was. So then I moved to New York with like hoax.
Speaker 5: Of working in fashion.
Speaker 6: I actually got my degrees not in New York, and I got my MBA at twenty one, so I was very young.
Speaker 5: I kind of thought I would be able.
Speaker 6: To break in the industry with all these great degrees and everyone would be so eager to hire me. And that wasn't necessarily the case of I got of learned that because I didn't go to fashion school because I didn't like swim in the right circles. Really, it was really hard to break into the fashion industry. So I kind of was working on my blog just as a creative outlet because I was working in a few different stock rooms or working in retail jobs at the time. And eventually I took my MBA off my resume and put my blog on my resume, and that's kind of what got me my first job in fashion.
Speaker 5: Then I got exactly.
Speaker 6: What I wanted my dream job on paper, and it turned out that the job was not necessarily what I thought it would be my particular skill set. I could do it, but I wasn't great at it, and I kind of had to force it. And then the company culture where I was in the team wasn't really what I thought I would be, and so then I was really depressed because I was like, I got exactly my dream and I'm not very good at it and I don't like it. And so I kind of had the sense of like, wow, you're kind of an entitled brat because you got what you wanted and it and it didn't turn out the way you thought it would. And so then I started doing more of the things that were outside of the box for me, and I was not really getting invited to a lot of blog events. So I hosted my own event, like in my apartment, and I invited all my favorite bloggers, and I reached out to brands and made goodie bags and like put this whole thing on and was like, I'm not getting invited to the party, so I'm going to throw my own. And it helped me not only rEFInd my confidence and then it eventually led to me getting to know other people at the company and moving to a different position that I really loved with the best boss ever that I still think about because she changed my life and it completely changed my Color Me Courtney career as well.
Speaker 3: That moment where you realize the dream job is not actually the dream job, I think is such an essential coming of age moment for everyone.
Speaker 6: To me at the time, it felt like such a failure, and I think so many people are afraid of the word failure. I kind of love when I fail because a lot of time that redirects me.
Speaker 5: The key is to fail fast.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 6: So once I could like sit in that reality that this is wrong, I need to change. I made the wrong choice, but that's okay because it led me to the right choice. It led me to working on color Meet Courtney more because I was not really super satisfied in my career.
Speaker 2: As somebody who fails slowly, I have turned the word fail into pivot.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so, Courtney, As you mentioned, Color Meet Courtney started as a personal blog, but now you have over a million followers online and you're making and selling your own products. I just know that there are entrepreneurs out there right now who are wondering how the sausage is made. So how many hours a week did it take to build color Mee Courtney into the vibrant lifestyle, fashion and culture brand that it is today? And then how many hours a week would you say you're putting into it right now?
Speaker 6: You know, every week is different now. When I first started, I called it my five to nine because I had my nine to five and I would come home usually closer to like seven pm, and work on it during the night and during weekends. And trickily, I probably feel like I work about the same amount. I was just maybe more efficient then because you didn't have time to like second guess what you were creating, because you had a few hours and then you had to go to sleep and then you had to go to work. I called it my hand I'm ontana lize, take off the wig and then be color uity or put on the wig, be color re course to take it off. It was really fun, and I missed that time too because there was a lot of other creatives in my community who are doing the same so we had this like kind of fun camaraderie.
Speaker 2: So I love how this work in your blog eventually gets you a job producing handbags at Coach and obviously you're working, like you said, you're five to nine and you're nine to five, which over time becomes exhausting, and you decide it is time to pivot. And Simone and I are constantly fascinated by that little moment and time in people's stories. Can you take us back to the day and the moment that you decided it's time to take my side hustle and make it my main hustle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's weird because like when I started coloring Me Courtney, it was really just creative outlet and then eventually became means to an end to get me a job. But again, I never really thought it would be a full time job. I knew people did it full time, but truthfully thought, oh, they had other sources of income, like I had New York.
Speaker 5: City rent to pay.
Speaker 6: And it kind of happened in a few ways that I'm really thankful for.
Speaker 5: I was a little early to the game.
Speaker 6: I think right now, if you work for most companies and you have like a social media presence, it's really considered an asset. But at the time it was a little bit of like they didn't know if it was okay. They were just like, we don't know if it's okay if you're wearing our competitor in a blog post, but you're making our brand, we don't know, and let's talk about it and kind of figure out if it's okay. And so then once I was like, you're right, there might be like this ethical implication that I didn't realize, then that's when I started to think of like should I leave or not. So I really wrestled with it for six months because I loved my job so much and I love the people I worked with, and in that six months was like, I'm gonna hustle harder on color M Courtney and I'm gonna see if I cannot touch my coach salary.
Speaker 5: So I put that away.
Speaker 6: I didn't touch it for six months and tried to just live off Color ME Courtney to see if it was even possible. And then it also gave me kind of like a little like security nest day to where if then when I decided to leave, if it really all failed, I would still have something to back up on. Then the answer was what is there to lose? It is scary, but I would rather try it than not know, and so I just kind of decided to jump that way.
Speaker 3: I think that that is such great advice, you know, taking care of yourself, making sure that you have a backup plan, and then also really analyzing the revenue as it's coming in and being like, Okay, can I make a living off of this? Like I'm gonna give it a shot for six months and if I prove to myself that this is a viable path forward. I think that's really really smart.
Speaker 6: And I will say it's really cool to see. I recently reconnected with someone who worked at Coach Why was there? She's very high up now and she has like a very successful Instagram and things like that. So it was just too early, yeah, and I was really thankful. I think if they let me do both, I would still be there, and Colouring Courtney would not be what it was. So I'm so glad that it pushed me to make a choice about what I wanted and maybe realize.
Speaker 3: What could it be.
Speaker 2: I want to tap into that business part of your brain for a second, because every entrepreneur that I interview talks about the very high highs and the very low lows and Honestly, you can experience both in one day. You create content, you do brand deals, you have your own products, which people don't realize is just such a huge undertaking. Is there a lesson that you've learned that you'd really like to save other people from.
Speaker 6: Yeah, worrying means you suffer twice, is like my life mantra, not just for work, for everything else. And then in this business, like if it's something that you create, there's no rules to color me, Courtney. And so you get into this thing where, especially when it's just you, where you create your own really rigid set of rules, and it becomes sometimes suffocating. And sometimes when you go left and do the other thing, you find all new people, all new experiences. I even feel like that with like a to do list, I think people get overwhelmed by to do lists. Put brush your teeth on your to do list. You woke up, you brush your teeth, crossed, it off, done, Like what are you?
Speaker 3: You did it?
Speaker 5: There's no rules. You can make it up and kind of build yourself up because of that.
Speaker 3: That's funny, Courtney. All Right, when we come back from the break, we're getting into color theory and our own color stories. Courtney is going to read me all right, stick with us.
Speaker 2: So we have to talk about color theory today. I'm wearing coral, I did it on purpose, and Simone is in purple.
Speaker 1: Can you explain to us what color theory is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So just color theory in general is kind of like the idea that different colors have different effects, have different alterations on our mood. Maybe like as I say this, as I'm literally designing a red bedroom, but most people would say that you wouldn't design a red bedroom because it's like a very fiery color, and usually you want your bedroom to be like more of like a blue or green, like something more calming and centering. So just kind of the theory that color can affect our mood and like personality traits. And then also I think that sometimes a color we like to wear or our favorite color might say something about us or be something that we're trying to say to the world.
Speaker 3: So there are a couple of trends that have taken over the design world and the content world recently, like the clean girl aesthetic, which is very minimal, not very color forward, and also blanding. So blanding is this idea that companies are reaching for neutrals, for really modern, minimalistic silhouettes and design in order to brand companies. Because that's just kind of like the way that everything has shifted in terms of our aesthetics as a society. What do these trends say about us?
Speaker 6: First of all, I love that for them, but that is definitely not my journey. And this is not my first time seeing this. When I was kind of building color m Courtney, Like if you think back to like twenty twelve to twenty fifteen Instagram, like marble backdrops, everything was super minimalistic.
Speaker 5: It was like a coffee shot with like your journal and.
Speaker 6: Like that was it? Like that was the photo? Yes, a million likes, you know. So I've always gone the opposite direction. I think coming out of the pandemic, people were reaching for color a little bit more, but I.
Speaker 5: Think now we're just raining it back in.
Speaker 6: It's always going to be like this, Like there will be times when people lean into color and times when people are totally afraid of it. I think there's a way to do both. There's a way to do color and have it be clean. There's a way to do color and have it be maximalist and over the top, and there's a way to do bland and even have it be maximalist if you want it to.
Speaker 5: I maybe wouldn't call it bland, but like more neutral colors in that case.
Speaker 6: So I think it's just this desire to like streamline things make it cleaner because we just are so bombarded with ads and content and things constantly, and our attention splans are low. It probably feels really calming sometimes for people to just have like nothing going on.
Speaker 5: So maybe that's why.
Speaker 6: The blanding thing comes in, and as you're trying to appeal to more customers like it's definitely a safer approach.
Speaker 1: I love that term. I didn't know it existed.
Speaker 2: This is another term that I learned because of you, Courtney, which is color story. We all have a color story, and so I want to know about the bright Side's color story. We have a gradient that is yellow, orange, pink, and then purple, and we even have a little like orange red in our logo as well. What's the bright Side's color story.
Speaker 6: The way that I see your podcast is it's just like the right way to start off your day and you can listen to it at any time. But to me, it's just like such like a nice bright moment, a way to like put you on the right foot in the morning.
Speaker 5: And so I love that yours.
Speaker 6: Kind of looks like almost like a sunrise, or even like a sunset.
Speaker 5: A sunset kind.
Speaker 6: Of serves as like a reset, a reframe, kind of like getting back into like the right mood. And so I think that's kind of a perfect thing for you, guys. One of the colors that I find interesting that's in your logo that if I had to guess what your logo was before knowing it, I probably would have guessed it was yellow and orange or yellow and pink. I probably wouldn't have guessed purple, because purple is such a transformative color. There's so many different sides of it depending on the shade, Like lilac and violet are night and day, they mean totally different things. I've also found that purple people are some of the most passionate people. They love their color, and so I think those are things that kind of apply to the bright side too, like that kind of confidence and that boldness and that unapologeticness.
Speaker 5: So I love that we see that in your logo.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing purple right now, I'm gonna admit I'm not like a hardcore purple person, but I do love it and I appreciate her because she's just so unique.
Speaker 6: I think of you just knowing your personality, though I think of you read me. I think of you as like a warm tone, girly, so like someone who loves like maybe.
Speaker 5: Like pinks or something.
Speaker 6: I think because I spent so much time with you when we were both matching wearing yellow at when we met, and so I think that makes me a little bit biased. Sometimes your first impression of what someone's wearing sticks with them.
Speaker 5: But also I think.
Speaker 6: Your personality backed that up. That you have such like a warm and wonderful personality and we like instantly kind that I was like, oh, I'm just gonna think of her as like yellow, but probably if I read your specific personality, I would think of like more like pinks oranges, like warm.
Speaker 3: When you meet people, do you automatically put them into a category like, Okay, they're a blue, they're a pink, they're a.
Speaker 5: Babe, not too but yeah, a lot, they're.
Speaker 3: Okay, Danielle's wearing coral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So though I could be kind of a beige, you're not a beige.
Speaker 6: No, I think you're probably I know you wear a lot of black because I just know you online, and I think a lot of times color people a lot of times maybe misdirect black as boring. I think it's stylish and bold, and I think it makes a statement. I also think of you as blue. But blue is interesting because sometimes people think it's blue as like really serene, like easy going, and I think of it more as like a commanding force, like a wave. So it's something that like kind of can come at you, not in an aggressive way, but in like a really powerful way. But for you, it's like you have this really interesting power to be a force but something that everyone would like be interested to see. And I think that's probably why you're a good journalist, because you can get stuff out of people and things like that.
Speaker 3: So true, that question so good at that.
Speaker 2: I need your advice, and so does everybody who lives in New York who also wears all black. But is there a hack for people like me that are a little scared to jump into bright colors right away, to throw on a bright pink dress?
Speaker 1: How can we start small?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think the easiest way to start small is lipstick, which that can be scary for some people, but I always tell people to just try it, Like try a colorful lip. It doesn't have to be super colorful, but then you can still wear all black and you can kind of have like a red lip.
Speaker 3: I really want to bring back the orange lipstick that I wore in high school middle school.
Speaker 1: I kind of like an orange red.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's time? Could we bring back the orange? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Especially on your skin tone, a red orange lip perfect you. So another tip is to just kind of try it, like maybe low Steaks, go to a coffee shop, go to somewhere where you don't know anyone, try the pink dress and just see if you feel different. And you might wear pink and be like, I don't like it, Pink's not for me. And then you might wear orange and be like, oh, I feel better today, I feel more confident. Just kind of try it and like the same environment over and over. If you can in something low Steaks and see how you feel and also how people respond. Well.
Speaker 3: I hope my mom listen to this episode because she, for the longest time, has worn a lot of black, but I think she secretly wants to branch out and be more colorful. But I think I think also as you age, as women age, it becomes a confidence thing. And like, am I allowed to wear something loud? Am I allowed to take up space?
Speaker 5: Yes? First of all, yes, you're allowed to be seen. You're allowed to take up space always.
Speaker 6: If let me ask you this, if you got your mom something which you maybe be more likely to wear it because it means something coming.
Speaker 3: Fro turn in the stuff I get her, I think some people.
Speaker 6: Are yes or no, because I tried another way to kind of introduce or dip your toe into color would be either you guys could like go get your nails done and she could do like kind of push her to do a more color color on her nails or even her toes. And then number two would be like buying a colorful accessory. So like mother stays coming up, Like if if you have a mom who really does love the gifts that you give her, maybe giving them like a red bag or a coral bag.
Speaker 3: Or something like that a great idea.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my mom exclusively wears black, but I bought her a red handbag.
Speaker 5: She wears a red handbag.
Speaker 3: It's a great idea, Courtney. It was so much fun having you here. I learned so much about color and the meaning behind it.
Speaker 5: Oh good, I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Thanks for brightening our lives.
Speaker 6: Courtney happy too is likewise, thank you guys for brightening our days every day.
Speaker 5: That's so nice.
Speaker 3: Courtney Quinn is a designer, content creator, and the founder of the media company color Me Courtney. You can follow her on Instagram and TikTok at color me Courtney. Courtney inspires me so much, Danielle, because you look at her story, what she's accomplished. She's truly a self made woman.
Speaker 2: She did it, I mean she told us how she did it too. My favorite line in our whole conversation was, if you're not invited to the party, throw your own.
Speaker 1: There's so much there.
Speaker 2: We got to throw our own party, exactly, find your own way in.
Speaker 3: If you don't have a seat at the table, just build your own table.
Speaker 2: So many puns, let's see how many we can talk about. I will tell you this though. There is a book called The Third Door by Alex Benaian, and the entire book is about if you can't get in the front door, and you can't get in the side door, find the third door. And it's the same thing as throwing your own party. There is such a power in that totally.
Speaker 3: Can I borrow that book? By the way, yes, thank you. On Monday, we are talking about the gender gap in athletics with author and journalist Christine You. Christine shares how his parents, teachers and friends we can help keep young girls in sports.
Speaker 2: The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Production by Arcana Audio. Courtney Gilbert is our associate producer. Our producers are Stephanie Brown and Jessica Wank. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamat, and our senior producer is itsy Qinthenia Our.
Speaker 2: Conna's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzika. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 3: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton lighthauser.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 3: That's it for today's show. I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's ro b A y See you Monday, fam, See you later.