Speaker 1: Following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 5: We were with Nick.
Speaker 6: Eatman, Brian brought Us and Bar Garcia and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Tuesday, May second, twenty twenty three, Seasons nineteen, Episode number five. Welcome to the list edition of The Break. We're a lot from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star and presented by Miller like the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. We are fresh off of the twenty twenty three NFL Draft, so today's show will be dominated by draft talk. I got Nick and Brian and Amber here with me. We'll talk each pick and what their scouting report is and also where they will fit on this team. Lots of interesting names, players that maybe everybody didn't expect. But you know, again, as I said on Twitter, and I think I've heard you guys say as well, this this front office, particularly this scouting department, deserves a bit of benefit of doubt. If you have doubt about picks because of what they've done over the last really, I guess eight to ten years in the draft.
Speaker 5: So let's talk about it. Let's jump right in.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about the first round pick, Mazzie Smith, defensive tackle from Michigan.
Speaker 5: He was selected at number twenty six overall.
Speaker 7: Start first by giving me a scouting report on Mozzie Smith.
Speaker 8: He's strong, I'll start there.
Speaker 5: Not gonna tell me about his hips. You're not gonna tell me about the bride. They're gonna tell me he's strong. Okay, good, They's.
Speaker 8: Strong, and that's a position of need because they there were games where they got their ass kick right in the middle of the line. So they didn't want to do that anymore, so they said, let's let's let's try to fix that. So that's I mean, that's just the basic part of him. I mean, Brian watched a lot more of his game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think when you watch Mazzie Smith, and especially some of those games where he played against some of the better offensive lines in the Big Ten, the the Ohio States, the Minnesota's people like that, you know that had those guys that we were evaluating for for the draft. He did a really nice job. The scheme that he plays in might be a little bit restrictive when you watch him because you're thinking about where's the production, where are the sack numbers? Where are these things? He plays in the system what we call two gap, where you read and react, So it's basically the extension. It's the looking side, it's the peak to the backside, and then it's it's to go. But when he's on that mode where he's just going up the field, Nick's right, he's extremely strong in the upper and lower body. He could drive guys back. He could be disruptive in the pocket, especially when you try and run the ball to the say the off tackle sides. You put him and let him just like play that gap or the gap and a half over. He's the type of guy that's athletic enough to get over far enough to so if the ball goes to the edge right in that tackle box area, he could get over there, kind of stuff things up, hold that edge and then don't give you any cutback lane, but also make a play right in that area. Just really does a great job of playing with his hands and being able to control the blockers. That's something that you know Nick mentioned last year that they struggled with when Hankins went out. It was kind of like, Okay, how they going to make up for you know, to hold up blocks, how they're going to play in the running game Manzi Smith. The one thing that this this coaching staff will do for him, and Will McClay even mentioned it, They'll open up his stance a little bit more. You know, maybe they felt like he was playing a little tight, but open him up a little more and then that way you might get a little bit more quickness for pass rush stuff. So I do like to pick just because of the fact that and Will said this himself in the audio that we heard that we haven't had a defensive tackle like this that we can draft. If you remember the previous administration, the Rod Mary and Ellie administration, it was never really an interest of taking a guy that can play that heavy position. Even though Rod Marinelli had Booger McFarlane as that type of guy. I mean, he had a strong inside presence. He's always had that kind of guy. So I think they absolutely did the right thing at that particular time of getting a player that fits something that could definitely help this defense in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they picked him. It was for me one of those moments that I wasn't super stoked or excited about. I'm like, okay, because I'm thinking, again, do we need a guy like him? Absolutely, But at the same time, we have bigger needs in other areas around the team that you need something like that, someone like that. But they as soon as you see him come in here the next day, you understand immediately why the Cowboys fell in love with him, and you yourself start falling in love with him as a person and also sorry and also looking at his body top. You keep talking about strength, but the type of strength this guy has is visible to the eyes. Tyler Smith. Last year you saw him come in and we were talking about his size as well. But MASSI he's like pure muscle, like he has some guns on his arms, and you just see that type of weight that you typically talk about. Oh, second year, they'll put on some weight, go out there and be even better. This guy's already there what he needs to be. So if this is a starting point for him, I can't wait to see what he becomes this season, and especially how he helps. Like Brian said, you talked about the running defense. How he helps the Cowboys in that area.
Speaker 5: Where does he fit on this defensive front?
Speaker 7: Because I did lose Carlos Watkins this offseason, who I thought was a really nice piece for their interior D fence. Obviously, they brought back Hankins. Hankins, we saw the difference teammate last year in the run game when he was on the field, but an older veteran player. They needed some youth there. You got Ah set as a three technique, you got Gallimore. Where does he really fit in? And who might be now looking at it like, hey, I've really got to prove something this camp in order to make sure I got a job.
Speaker 8: Boll Hannah Is it's not great for him, you know, I think he I think it sounds like he's gonna play more of a one technique. But he's got the I mean, just look at the clip. I don't know if you saw the one where he's jumping exactly. That's is that the what is that? That's not a broad jump?
Speaker 7: That's the like it's like a standing broad jump, like it's not a run as a standing brode.
Speaker 8: So then he does like in a row like explosive that's unbelievable. So I think he's got ability to play inside as both the one and the three. I think it was I think dan Quinn said they may even put those guys in there together, so well, he's going to be right in the middle of it, right in the middle of the trenches. I mean, this is if hank is still playing at a high level. This this is the you know, to me some comparison to Jonathan Allen and Payne for Washington, I think you have a chance because what those guys are. They have some agility, but they have a lot of strength to and you know, the Eagles have beefed up there inside. The Giants have some really good defensive tackles. I think the Cowboys now are trying to say, well, you know, we're gonna match up with that as well.
Speaker 3: It kind of allows you to take Mazzi Smith at training camp and give him all the reps knowing you have an idea what Jonathan Hankins is, so maybe you saved some wear and tear on Jonathan Hankins going into the season. You know, yeah, he's going to get reps and stuff during practice. But to be honest, with every practice that we attend in Oxnard, we need to be watching Mazzi Smith playing with OsO diggi Za. We need to watch him with Chauncey Golston, whoever they're going to play at that three. Fojoko, who they just drafted, you know, he's listed as a defensive end. You know, you talk to Shari Floyd about it the bit he's saying they're interested in moving Fojoko into that three technique. So yeah, as many is, if you could save some weird tear on Hankins and then but also get Mazi all the reps and get him in the rotation with the other guys who he's going to play with. That's how you're going to quickly figure out exactly where he needs to play and how much he needs to play.
Speaker 8: And irony is kind of a funny thing because back in twenty thirteen they had the I believe, the nineteenth pick in the draft and the best guy it seemed like with Sharif Floyd. Yeah, but they priennally didn't really want to take that guy. I don't think that was where the Cowboys were picking, and they even said it themselves, we don't take this type of player. Ten to twelve years ago. Well, now they moved back to thirty one or thirty two, they got Frederick great pig. Of course Cherie Floyd now didn't really have a great career, and now now he's coaching and he's going to be one of the guys coaching Mazzi Smith. As they did change their their philosophy, so you know so well.
Speaker 3: I think the philosophy switch is big, and I think what them making the trades early for the wide receiver and making the trade for the corner really opened up the board for them. This was a really difficult draft for us on our end, I know, on the draft show, to have to figure out exactly. I mean, we learned some things along the way. Yes, they liked the tight end. Yes they had the tight ends in a different order. Yes, they were willing to Mozzie Smith was a name that was talked about, you know, along with others that maybe if they got wiped out, that they would be considered. I don't think they felt like they got wiped out here we were saying that they were gonna get wiped out, they would take Mozzie Smith. They were all on board with Mozzie Smith, you know, with him and bergeron from Syracuse. You know, I mean, either way they would have gone there, that would have really helped what they were trying to do.
Speaker 7: And quite frankly, it seemed like Mozzie Smith was the guy they targeted going into this draft, like they really wanted him, they really wanted to add him to their defense. And I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that you look at like you said, Nick, there was some games, particularly two years ago, but even last year, especially in games where Hankins was not there, they had some problems stopping the run, and I think that it was like, if you look at this defense, they feel like they got the pass rushers. They fact they got the ballhawks on the second in the secondary. At this point, it really is about can you force teams if you win on the early downs, can you force teams into obvious passing situations? And if you can do that, that makes your defense even better because now you make them go against the strength of your defense, which is your pass rush.
Speaker 5: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 7: Let's go to the second round, pick number fifty eight overall tight end Luke Shoon Maker Scoon it is Schoon Okay Akoon Shoon and Okay Schoonmaker Michigan tight end, give me a scout report on Yeah with.
Speaker 3: A thing with Luke Schoonmaker. Michigan is a very physical team. We talked about Big ten football. We mentioned it with Maszi Smith that how they play with a lot of different guys that are really tough up front. Lucas one of those guys. Blake Korum is a running back. If you watch the Big Big ten noon football, it's Michigan usually playing somebody and you'll see Michigan the way they run the ball downhill and they're one of the Michigan was one of the top college offensive lines this year. They won the Joe Moore Award for their five guys. Luke Schoonmaker was a big part of what they do. When they run the ball with Blake Krum, they usually run it behind Schoonmaker and he's a He could play in line why, which means he can line up next to the tackle. You could flex him. You could also bring him in motion. He's a really good point of attack blocker. I think the scheme limits his ability to catch the football. I don't think this is Wiskegan's game. The Michigan scheme. I don't think the Michigan scheme allows him to play with the way that he is capable of playing. You could see him getting down the field finding space, they drag him underneath. You see him catch balls along the sidelines. You see him make plays in the red zone. He has got a real feel for how to get the ball into the end zone when he gets the opportunity need to do that. So I feel like though in this scheme, they will find ways to get him in routes, the combinations and allow him to show more of this. But the blocking stuff is special in the way that, again the ball is coming behind him, He's not on the back side on a lot of plays. He's right there at the point of attack getting those blocks.
Speaker 8: And what I was told I was talking to a few people about him. If you if you create all of the aspects that a tight end needs, you know, the pass catching, the blocking, the awareness, the agility, just everything about it, from one to ten, he's going to have the highest score right now than any other tight end on the team. He may not be the best, you know, route runner, pass catcher, but what he makes up for is the blocking. But he's not that far behind on the other side, I think, you know, and Lunda Wells also said that that he's a guy that could be a three down tight end, and that's that's pretty rare to come into the league and be a guy that could be three downs.
Speaker 3: He doesn't labor at all getting up the field. That's not a problem at all. There's sometimes some of these guys that if they're just block, kind of block only guys that they struggle to, you know, have a little bit of that wiggle to be able to get up the field and make the routes. I think the awareness you mentioned is something that's really and I feel like he's got some dependable hands. I mean you see him like you know, he'll he'll adjust the catch radius, he'll adjust. And the quarterbacks at Michigan aren't really accurate though in the football. So you know, my last line of my notes was respect the way he blocks, but also the way he catches the ball. That was the last line I had in my notes. And you know, is it maybe around early? You know, yeah, but you got to remember when you're picking at the back end of the draft, you sometimes have to go around early because you're not going to get that player coming back around. It just doesn't happen just when you think like, hey, we got to hit this pick now, because if we don't, we're not going to have you know, I know they really liked Laporta from Iowa a lot, and you know that was something that that that surely considered. But Schoonmaker was kind of in that. I mean, I had Schoonmaker and Laporta in the same round on my board right there, so I understand exactly what they did that was gonna be.
Speaker 2: My question was just wondering if, oh my god, I can really speak today, I'm sorry, wondering if they actually picked him because they had a high grade on him and they actually wanted him, or because they were forced to kind of address the position, giving the fact that as soon as the second round started you started seeing a lot of those tight ends being picked. So as far as like what you guys saw or what you would assume how things were went down, do you think he was actually a guy that the Cowboys kind of were high on him?
Speaker 3: I think there absolutely were high on him. I mentioned I think the coaching staff was really high on Laporta, and I feel like though when the trade went ahead of them in the first round where it was Kincaid, you when you saw the war room camp. They weren't bothered. They didn't look there was no you know, banging of the tables or no quick adjustments. Everybody looked pretty calm. They were they were they were okay with what was going on in the draft. They had their guys in mind. Mozzie Smith was a guy obviously that they completely had in mind. But when they got around to the pick, yeah, you saw some guys going and I think that if Laporta was there, they would have they would have picked Laporta. I mean, I think that. But they also told us pre draft Stephen Jones that I know in one O five three of the Fan that he said, you know, it's hard to find guys that can do both, and that's what Schoonmaker can do. He can block. I mean, and you look at the athletic testing numbers. If you were one of these people that believe in metrics and all those things, Luke Schoonmaker's athletic testing numbers were much better than what you had with your You know, you're with Jake Ferguson. I mean, he's a much better, much better athlete than Jake Ferguson. So you know that to me, if you got a blocker, a good athlete, and then you show some ability to catch the football. It made perfect sense why they did what they did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and also you know you're talking about how big of a need it was. I think it was a need. I don't think it was a major need because if it was, they had a chance to take the highest tight end or rated on their board. I mean when he was there at twenty six, I don't think I don't think that was their highest rated.
Speaker 3: Tight end.
Speaker 8: So and they had a chance to get them. So if you have a major need and the best is available, you would take them. They they wanted to do it, but they also look at a value and they said, all right, you know the difference between this tight end and then the second round as opposed to Mazzie Smith and the next defensive tackle, we're going to get stuff to run. Probably it's not comparable. So they went that rounde. So not the first time we've seen a team. You were in the room when when it was a deep tight end class back in two thousand and three, and they could have taken the second round they took out john but they took Al Johnson thinking we'll get some deep tight ends here in the third round.
Speaker 5: And would be available.
Speaker 8: But he will we thinking somebody would be available, and it was written so you know, sometimes that just clothes to show what type of need. It really was a need, but not a pressing need for him.
Speaker 7: We will take our first break when we come back. We got to talk about Texas football. That's coming up next. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 6: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 5: Of course? What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 9: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 3: Have you fought this way a long time?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: I just think i'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 5: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe.
Speaker 9: It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 5: Too, dude.
Speaker 7: Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 10: Once you use the cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker, tim bucks, free shipping.
Speaker 4: No one knows where this market will go. Right now, it feels like a wild ride. Well one, thanks for certain there's a way through it, and the experience and guidance of a Merryland advisor can help you get there. Because where there's a bull, there's a way find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com, slash Bookish.
Speaker 5: Meryl Bank of America Company.
Speaker 8: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 3: Investing involves risk?
Speaker 11: Marylynch, Piercevender and Smith, Incorporated, Registered Broker Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor Number SIPC A Holy own Subsidiaria of Bank of America Court.
Speaker 5: Back to the Break.
Speaker 8: Multi Grammy Award winning Global superstar At Sharon comes to AT and T Stadium this Saturday, May sixth, the kickoff his twenty twenty three mathematics tour Sounds Fun. Sharon will be accompanied by a special guest, Kled and Dylan. Get your tickets today, it's he Got segeek dot Com.
Speaker 7: Welcome back, second segment of The Break Life in the SWVC Mortgage Studios at the Star. This segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Block There we go, There we go. We're on it.
Speaker 7: Hey, nick I had a question for you, Wayne mcgarrity. He was was he selected or was he a free agent that the Cowboys brought in as.
Speaker 8: A draft third probably a third round pick, third or fourth in nineteen ninety nine, maybe the fourth?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 7: Was that the last time that one of my long horns was drafted by the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know. Maybe we did a documentary on somebody, you know, Well I'm missing I was a blocker that was bellied.
Speaker 3: As a kid.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I forgot he went to Texas. You're right, Amber knows something about it, and Amber knows something about him. But did you forget he forgot about him? Literally forgot about him. I remember Wayne McGarty. I remember Wayne McGarty from back in nineteen ninety nine, but did not remember Connor Williams.
Speaker 8: But and then they took Peppy's own there. I just wanted to remember Peppy. Wayne McGarty had like eight knee surgeries. I think if any I think if yeah, if Wayne mcgartty had been playing. Now you know, it's it's just different. I mean we were talking I was talking with Patrick Walker upstairs just a few minutes ago about the ACL injury back in nineteen ninety nine. You were like, okay, wait death like yeah, right, is this the end of his career?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 8: And now it's just like can he come back in six weeks? You know, which isn't the case.
Speaker 5: But it's just different.
Speaker 8: It is, it is different, But yeah, Texas guys, they may have drafted another one. I know, I'm just start trying to think. I mean, Roy Williams, the receiver obviously wasn't a draft pick. Trying to think of other Texas players that have come in, but.
Speaker 5: We got he was.
Speaker 8: Leonard Davis is one of the players, in my opinion, that changed the way the NFL is thinking, because when you were that big and that strong and you wanted to take it alignment, you have to play him at tackle. Same with Robert Gallery, you got to play him at tackle to justify the picking him that high. But in reality they were really a better guard and once they went to a different team and played guard. Maybe Gallery did not go to a different team, but he did eventually go to guard, and then you're like, this is all pro player or a Pro Bowl player. So and I think I think it put a little bit more value in the guard position just seeing those guys. But Leonard Davis, when he walked through the door at the combine, I remember what was with you at the combine he walked through the door. He kind of had to ways. I mean, he was the biggest human being.
Speaker 3: We were all worried that we couldn't get out if something happened. Yeah, we like think it can Leonard get out of here? Because if something happened in the room and we had to make a rush for the door, we couldn't get past Leonard. That was he was huge. He was Jeff Swaying by the way Texas.
Speaker 5: Yes, seventh round, Yes, seventh Yeah.
Speaker 7: That was another one that we were all kind of like, was this I remember on draft day like that anything on him?
Speaker 3: That's what Dane I think it was mad. Dane was really mad.
Speaker 8: It was like, I'm no longer doing two hundred players a position, I'm doing three hundred. Actually had him on the list, just wasn't a profile or whatever. He had him on the list.
Speaker 7: All right, let's talk about the latest Texas Longhorn. We drafted the Dallas Overshown. I think Overshown is a very interesting player because at Texas, like they did so many different things with him. He was a guy that kind of he could rush the pass, so he could do some coverage stuff.
Speaker 5: He was all over the field.
Speaker 7: The one thing that that seemed to happen to me, and again I don't watch film on tis, I just watch it as a fan, But there would be games where it felt like he kind of just disappeared, like he just wasn't It wasn't in every game type player. He wasn't one of those players that he was a player that on defense everybody talked about going as a game overshowing, what's he gonna do this week?
Speaker 5: Whatever?
Speaker 7: Him in the defensive tackles, which over the years, defensive tackles become a really strong position for us. But but that being said, he he is just he has a lot of ability and is a very talented skilled athlete. He just had some games where he just didn't seem to quite show up. That would be my as a fan scouter report on him. What would you guys say from a that after watching film on him as a scoutering report on over.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a shame you missed the Oklahoma State, Baylor and Alabama games and you're a fandom there because those are the games I watched and I thought he was really good.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's the thing in a lot of games at games would be like man, where's where's over yeat?
Speaker 5: Like where's zero doing?
Speaker 3: You know this guy? I mean the thing that you the thing that I trust about this player, because I don't think Texas has used him correctly. I really don't. And I know that Gary Patterson and all that was, you know, they were all working with you know, maybe he got caught in between some schemes and stuff like that. This guy's converted safety and so you know, at six three, two hundred and twenty nine pounds, there's talk about putting some more weight on him and maybe even making him let him be a defensive end was a pot that some people had that thought before the draft. This guy could really chase the ball, though. I mean, it's impressive for a guy this big, how how well he moves the sideline, the sideline type of player, and I think it does a really good job of getting the ball carrier down. He's a good wrap up tackler. He does play with some power. You can use him inside and outside. So that's kind of where I think Texas got a little wonky with him right there. But I've seen him rush the passer and I've seen him have some success off the edge. He's got explosive quickness, he plays with a burst, he can redirect, He's got a feel for how to play pass coverage. Believe it or not sizing his length the awareness to carry guys. You'll see guys running routes and he's kind of you see him, Okay, that's my guy, gotta go. He's not a oh wait, what just happened guy? He actually can see this. This is one of these types of players where you know that dan Quinn and those guys over there have a plan for what they want to do with him, you know. And I remember that this just this past draft. Asked asking Justin Stuckey who we had the opportunity interview, and he he was the one who first scouted. He'd did the report on Michael Parsons and he I said, hey, did you see Michael Parsons as a pass rush? And he says, no, I didn't. So I'm thinking, ah, dan Quinn a d all least, these coaches they have a plan for a lot of these guys and what they potentially could do the fact that they made Curse a nickel linebacker and played as well, I could see those guy's having the same vision for this type of player and find me like a Curse to be a guy, to be a guy that they put in position to make plays and they allow him to get to the ball because that's the one thing this guy can do. He can cover some ground and there is a physical side to his game. But I understand what you're saying about him as a player. But I know in the games I watched, I came away with like, man, this guy does a lot for for you know, but you're worried about like Oka, he's up, he's back, he's down, he's there. You know, they they knew that they had a special player. I just think these guys are going to take it to another level with him.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's weird to see him. We're watching highlights if you guys are watching the video right now. But it's just weird to see him as a linebacker because of his size. You know, it's not typically the type of size you see, especially with what we have here, the body type that we usually have that the Cowboys have at the linebacker position. But we'll see. Maybe he makes off for it in speed. I mean, he seems to the field pretty good.
Speaker 7: But you know that's where I thought, Like, as I was thinking how they gonna use him, I started thinking, is he Jyaron Curse two point zero? You know, because I look at him as a guy because he has so many diverse talents, like you really could move him around. And by the way, now you can blitz him maybe a little bit more than they do with Curse. There are lots of different things you can do with him. I think he is a phenomenal athlete, like that was the one thing you could say about him. He was all over the field, Like he was one of those players that was just all over the field making plays. And I just I do think that when when Dallas s elected him, and from what I've what I've been what I've kind of heard, they had him pretty high on their draft board, I think it was a second round grade maybe for him. So that says to me, that says to me they have a vision for this player that maybe is even different than what a lot of other teams evaluate him as as just a linebacker or just the safety or wherever it is that they think they would want to play him. I think Dallas has a special role for him that they're thinking about that makes him very valuable.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: The thing about him, too, is it came down to that meaning the discussion was with another Texas player, with Roshawn Johnson, and then you're right, Derek they had overshown clearly around ahead of what they had ro Shawn Johnson, So you know that's that was the discussion, but the planned part of it. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 8: On I just think that a lot of these guys, you know, that's that's just something that when fans look at they are not looking at players the way the Cowboys are or the way the teams are. And even like some of your your draft analysts that you know that they cover them, that they have to cover these guys globally, not so much what they need for each specific guy, but it's also to twenty twenty four free agency. I mean like they are looking at free agency in twenty twenty four thinking, all right, Curse is a free agent at the end of this year, are we going to resign him? Is you know if not, if we don't, can this guy do what he does? Or you know, Hankins is on a one year deal. If he doesn't come back next year because he's getting up there in age, does Mazie Smith come in for that? So there's more than just take this guy because he was the highest rated player I see. There's there's a lot of actors in is how does he fit, how does he fit long term? So I think Overshown's that type of guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll tell you that I'm really excited about this pick. I would have been excited for him or Roshan because I think both of them are really good players. Obviously, you guys know what my feelings were on the other running back and how much I wanted him. But I thought both these two players were really, really good players, and I was excited for the Cowboys to get one of them because I do think they that it will pay dividends down the road.
Speaker 5: They will be able to find a good.
Speaker 3: Role for him.
Speaker 7: All Right, let's talk about the fourth round pick and the fourth round pick, number one, twenty nine. They pick Villiami Junior Fioko from San Jose State.
Speaker 5: Gimme a Scotter report on him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a guy they're probably gonna play as a three technique. He's a defensive end at San Jose State. You're talking about a guy that's super active in the way that he's always around the football. He's one of those guys I gambled on of my two hundred and ten. I didn't see him, and I had to go back Luckily the guys like Zach Walchuk and Iish and him had seen him during the drift, so they were able to cover him up. But he was a defensive end. But they're going to play him at that three technique because what he's got is he's got the ability. He plays with tremendous quickness. You can see here on the highlights if you're falling along, I know, if you're listening, I'm sorry about that. That's terrible radio on my part. But you could see this guy on the outside here, and what he's able to do is close down on the scrimmage. You see the redirection right there. I mean, he can close some ground. But they feel like if they can move him inside and play that three technique on the shoulder and get him even closer to the ball, that he could win on those those one on one blocks and then be able to get right on the quarterback.
Speaker 7: He has the body type for three techniques. He does puts a little more weight on.
Speaker 3: He does. He just put a little bit more weight on. But you see him right here in the technique right you know, with he was playing inside there and then all of a sudden, now well they circle the wrong guy for you right there. But here you are with a guy like I say that that played on the edge, knows how to play with his hands, knows how to get up the field, plays with a great deal of power. You could see right there the close you know, took the ball away from the quarterback right there too, So you know, good for him. But that's where I think the plan for him is three technique.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I know some people asked me, could this be Tyrone Crawford? You know, could that be the kind of I think? I think this guy is quicker than Crawford. I don't think he's as stiff as Crawford was, but but the same kind of idea. I appreciate the thought about a guy that could play the end or play the three. I think this guy, I think there's another guy that got a plan for for playing that three right there?
Speaker 7: That What does that mean for a guy like Golston who right now, Golsten is kind of that guy that's kind of in between play some defensive end can play tackle as well.
Speaker 3: I think it's more about Neville Gallimore, to be honest with you, I think it's I think they really like Golston at that as a three. You know, so he got Osa Golston and then Fojoko here with the possibility of him fitting in there. But I think this is more about you know, maybe there considering moving on from Neville Gallimore. We'll see they've you know, Neville was in the doghouse a little bit last year. Yeah, you know he's I think he has to have a much better off season going into what we're seeing now for training camp this year. And so that would be the guy that I would keep an eye on, or the spot I would keep an eye on.
Speaker 7: All right, let's go ahead and take our final break. We'll come back. Let's talk about us seeing Richards, We'll talk about Eric Scott. We certainly got to get to a little talk.
Speaker 5: On Deuce find. We'll do that when come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 6: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in their area. Se Att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: Once he used the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black.
Speaker 5: Right now, you can get if the Jack Black Playmaker, a.
Speaker 10: Curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 4: No one knows where this market will go Right now, it feels like a wild ride. One thanks for certain there's a way through it, and the experience and guidance of a Maryland advisor can help you get there.
Speaker 3: Because where there's a bull, there's a way.
Speaker 4: Find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com slash Books.
Speaker 5: Meryl a bank of America Company.
Speaker 8: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 3: Investing involves risk?
Speaker 11: Marylynch, Pierce, Fender and Smith, Incorporated, Registered broker dealer, Registered Investment Advisor MEMBERSIPC, a holy Own subsidiary of Bank of America Court.
Speaker 9: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 5: Of course?
Speaker 3: What's up? Well?
Speaker 9: I just thought you should know. I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 1: Have you this way a long time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 9: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 5: If you feel that way, I think you should try it.
Speaker 3: Babe.
Speaker 9: It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 5: Too, Dude. Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve. Back to the break.
Speaker 8: Country Music is rocking the Star in Frisco with a free, multi day fan festival ahead of the big show. Come celebrate country music's party of the year at the ACM Country Kickoff May ninth and tenth. The fun starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artists, merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more. Visit acmcuntrykickoff dot com for more info that will be happening now.
Speaker 5: Okay, by the way, that will be happening next week.
Speaker 7: We also got for Cowboys fans also to know next Thursday or next week. I don't know if it's Thursday, one day next week, maybe even Wednesday, we may have the schedule release.
Speaker 5: It looks like it's gonna be happening sometime next week, so keep that on.
Speaker 7: Well, I thought it might be it's sometime next week, I think, but but it just keep an eye on, just keep an eye on it.
Speaker 5: And uh and we will we will let you know.
Speaker 7: And we certainly as we all know, that always is a fun day because we get to see all the different things that teams are working on to announce.
Speaker 5: Their hell that happens as well. But but yeah, that'll be.
Speaker 7: Happening I think sometime next week. A CMS is Thursday night, she is busney. It'll be a busy week out here.
Speaker 3: At the start.
Speaker 5: Oh, the rookies come in Thursdays.
Speaker 7: Rookies come in Thursday's a rookie mini camp next weekend as well, so.
Speaker 5: It'll been busy.
Speaker 3: The same time is the is the Music Awards.
Speaker 7: They should probably be arriving about the same time. I think, yeah, we'll figure all that out.
Speaker 8: These guys are going to come in here and they're going to be like, you know, it's just different here in Dallas. Yeah it is. Yes, it's not like AGAs buddy the Yeah, I got drafted by Atlanta, Like, oh, it's cool. Like I walked in and I met Dolly pardon.
Speaker 5: It lurks like it just it's what we do.
Speaker 7: All right, Let's let's get these day three picks. I'm gonna go around the table. You guys, give me one person from day three, uh, that you want to talk about that you think was an interesting picnic.
Speaker 5: Let's start with you.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, if your name's awesome, you better be so. Some Richards the the you know, offensive tackle from North Carolina. But he's really I think that they they like these tackles that can that can play guard. He's played one game at guard, but he's got the versatility to do that, and so I think that's, you know, that's going to be the type of player he's going to be. It's come in here and try to learn two positions. We'll see how s Marty.
Speaker 3: Is super athlete.
Speaker 7: By the way, is there any chance whatsoever that he could be your starting guard next year?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I would leave the tackle. Yeah, i'd leave an offensive tackle, beynest with. I mean, you've got a lot of tackles, I know, but you watch got a lot of you watched in the ac of how this kid played, which is crazy along. I know right now, he is he is, He's a he's a legitimate tackle.
Speaker 8: I love the fact that what Mike McCarthy said at the owner's meetings a few weeks ago, months ago, says, I'm not even trying anymore to hope that these guys will be you know that I'll have all my lineman. I'm just gonna I'm just gonna expect them to get hurt, but I'm gonna have a lot of them and a lot of options, and so they're giving themselves.
Speaker 5: Long just position flexes, every really important here. Yeah, all right, let's let's talk about Douce fun dude.
Speaker 7: He was selected six round, the second six round, pick number two, twelve, running back from Kansas State.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm pretty sure everyone knows about him at this point. The moment the call went absolutely viral. I think it was trending on Twitter. He's the son of one of the Cowboys scouts, Chris Vaughan. He's a guy that you know, you might think, oh, he got drafted because his dad is a scout and probably put in a good word or something, but no, you look at his his college history and you see why he got drafted because of his own skill and talent. He's not necessarily a very tall guy or anything like that, but he's fast. We're looking at the highlights right now. He has the speed, he's explosive, he can run, so super excited to see him come in here and see what he can do with the team. And everyone here was celebrating. Everyone was very very happy, and as a parent, every parent out there definitely felt that moment that call. But again, make no mistake, he's not here because of his dad. He's here because he actually deserves it.
Speaker 5: If he was five nine, probably have been a second or third round.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely catches the ball very very well. He's explosive. His long speed might not be great, but where he makes up for it is the initial quickness and his ability to, as we see right here, to finish. He's a very good receiver of the football.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think his size kind of helps him sometimes high. Yeah, he just kind of quick, quick, quick moves and escapes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's actually a history of some guys not at five to five, but there's a history of some shorter running backs that did have had some success in the in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Primary one being Darren Sprolls, who is also a mental went to uh win to Kansas State, So yeah, he's already got that connection and and uh and then communicating with him on a somewhat I guess regular basis. But but yeah, it's I look at this pick and I love the fact that the Cowboys got him where they got him. To me, it's great value and you just see what you can throw him in. The one question I have for you guys, I've heard, uh, he also can do some return type stuff. How does that work with somebody? How would you, guys evaluate that? When you're looking at someone like Turpin who can also who's obviously a really good skilled returner, how do how do you evaluate that when you look at a guy like this that may be able to do it as.
Speaker 8: Well, they're both one big hit away from not being available for you. Yeah, I mean that's that's the the You know, Turpin can't get hit and neither can this guy. Not really, I'm just saying, you know, but you know he was. I just think the more guys you can have that can do this kind of stuff, because the league guys said it best. And it's the same with with the punt return you gotta find him first kick return to you gotta find this guy, and then you find him, then he might be already passed you. So I think as a returner he could be valuable as well.
Speaker 3: Uh, Turpin might have better long speed and Deuce has better vision. That's the biggest.
Speaker 7: So how would you so if you said one of them is gonna do punts, one is gonna do kicks, which ones you think?
Speaker 1: Well? To me?
Speaker 3: To me, you have to get Deuce has to show me about the receiving it. I mean how he looks for turning punts and stuff like that. The kickoffs, that's some that's a hit and miss thing. Depending on if your indoors outdoors, you're either going to get opportunity or not. But I think the stuff with the punt, Deuce is gonna have to show me that. Like But like I said to being able to secure the ball and the vision. There were a couple of times where Turpin had opportunities to score touchdowns and then he made a decision that when it took him right into darkness instead of running the light. Yeah, so that's I think the biggest difference right now between the two.
Speaker 5: All Right, Bryan, tell me about Eric Scott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Eric Scott. You're gonna like Eric Scott. He's six' one, he's one ninety seven. He plays what we call a field corner for Southern miss and that means he's one of those guys have a boundary corner usually that plays the short side of the field and the field corner plays the big side of the field, so he he covers a lot of ground, but he plays a ton of a ton of zone coverage. So when you watch him play, he almost plays sideways with his rear face in the sidelines and they try and funnel everything inside. Usually if you're field corner, you could play slot too because you're covering so much ground and stuff. This guy's got good movement skills. He's not tighte moving at all. He reacts well when he's pressured. He's not afraid to tackle, I'm sure beams showing you all those highlights where he was coming forward and tackling. I watched a couple of games, the Liberty Game and the two Lane Game where he had interceptions that were ended up being picked sixes. He's had five interceptions in his career in thirty four games. But he breaks on the football well. He's always around the ball, he tackles well, and he doesn't allow the receiver to get away from him. The Pro Day numbers he ran with a bad quad. He retested got in the four fours high number vertical high number broad jump. This guy's got a little explosive to his explosiveness too, to his game.
Speaker 7: Real quick, before we end the show, tell me about Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 3: Jalen Brooks is He's a wide receiver from South Carolina that just not a throwaway guy, really good special teams player. He's kind of going to take the role of Noah Brown with can play personal protector, can play the flyer or the gunner outside, kind of does a lot of the dirty work inside routes, catches a ball well, Spencer Rattler, the quarterback kind of got things going late in the year and throwing the ball better. But initially when you watch him play ball behind him making a catch ball behind the hotcher, Yeah, he is a bad ball catcher. So I would kind of think that you would see a similarity with him and what Noah Brown used to do with you, all the dirty things that nobody else wants to do. This guy can make those types of plays.
Speaker 5: So that's like he's got kind of a bigger body like Noah Brown too.
Speaker 3: Yes, a receiver, it does, and you know, and that's the thing about him is this guy will extend to go make plays and he's got toughness about him too. This when you get down sixth, seventh round, you're kind of looking at traits, but don't sleep on this guy as a receiver to come in here and have some really good practices for you.
Speaker 7: All Right, that's a wrap for us. We'll be back next week. Next week, I want to dig a little deeper into maybe what this means and certainly what it means for other players on this team. Where the Cowboys now sit going into getting ready now for their offseason work and the and the training camp, and we'll talk a little bit more about that till then. For nick Yevan Brian brought us ambergarci Im Derek Heels and this has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Hey,