Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that wasn't the opening of the podcast, okay, or unless it was. I guess it was because we were recording Welcome to It could happen here, Harrison. I had to open an episode about a terrible, terrible piece of voice acting history with some horrible voice acting of my own.
Speaker 3: It was the only right way.
Speaker 4: It's true, It's true, but there has been some really bad voice acting going around lately. Yes, oh boy, So do you know what we're going to talk about today, Robert. We're going to talk about the South Park of X.
Speaker 2: And I know what you're all wondering, what the fuck is X? Did you guys? Is that a placeholder? Did you like type in a placeholder because you forgot the name of what this is? The South Park of or whatever? No, no, no, we're talking about Twitter.
Speaker 4: We are talking about the first animated sit slash calm on X slash Twitter, titled The New Norm Show. Not to be confused with the twenty twenty two low budget movie The New Norm. This is a new animated project from the great minds over at Dave Rubin Incorporated. Yeah, was so bad but also so insightful that I did a whole bunch of drugs and wrote about two thousand words about this project and uncovered some kind of shocking things that we will slowly get into. I first will just want to go over the mini pilot itself, because right now the only thing that's out is like this three minute or so little mini pilot, and we'll get into why this is the only thing that's out right now. But I first just want to do kind of like a short play by play, and it will be short because it's again it's only three minutes of what happens in this new perspective animated sitcom that they want to air on Twitter dot com now known as x SO. I think the first thing you need to know about it, you know, besides you know, the Dave rubeness of it all. It looks like early two thousands flash animation, like really bad early two thousands flash animation. It's not good.
Speaker 3: It's not good.
Speaker 2: None of the characters can like really express things, and the perspective is always a little bit off. Yeah, it looks like something like a moderately competent person could have animated in this course of an afternoon if the people paying them did not actually want anything that looked very good.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think that is kind of what happened. They posted one video showing the animating process, and it does look like just one person did it in like a day. So anyway, it starts with an older man sitting in a living room chair scratching at an ankle monitor. He reaches for a beer, only to find that it's been woke afied with rainbow packaging. The man reacts in horror, and his more liberal daughter remarks progress, it's the new norm, and then a pandering a country music theme song plays, which we will play for you later just because it's so bad.
Speaker 3: We're going to have to.
Speaker 2: I want to start just because this is the first shot of the episode and it was the first thing in the episode that made me very angry. And it's how small his feet are, like, especially if you're going to have rob Lyfield. He's got the rob Lyfield feet. And it's this is particularly a problem because the ankle monitor doesn't look like it's going to be a one off joke, because he doesn't just have an ankle monitor. He has like an evil Amazon Alexa that looks a little bit like it's but it's gotten some howl nine thousand DNA in it that every time he says something that's not woke enough, it it yells at him.
Speaker 3: Right offensive?
Speaker 4: Offensive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, the the the fantasy progressive government that is in charge in his uh in this cartoon world has forced him to wear an ankle monitor because he's not woke enough. And so I'm guessing that's going to be a recurrent bit. And if he has this sension, ankle monitor is a recurrent bit. His feet shouldn't look like the ankle monitor should always be falling off of them.
Speaker 3: No, it's so loose.
Speaker 2: It's so really bad animation, right, Like, I'm not even saying that's a good bit, But if that's your bit, you have to actually design the characters to sell the bit, as opposed to me constantly thinking how is that fucking ankle monitor staying on his goddamn ankle anyway, whatever.
Speaker 4: The character's not designed with the ankle monitor in mind. That was a later edition, so definitely. After the theme song, the man addresses the audience. He says, I'm the old norm. I want normal beer.
Speaker 3: God damn it.
Speaker 4: I just want to point out this is like the only character that gets an introduction. We don't really learned almost anyone else's names except for one other character, which is just great, great for like a pilot. Anyway, So he steps towards his front door and the ankle monitor starts beeping. He blames his liberal daughter for being put on house arrest for quote unquote threatening the school board, which he says he did because the school was quote brainwashing kids into thinking girl aren't girls and men aren't men. His daughter says, sometimes they're neither or both, or dressed like dogs. Anyway. His wife comes home.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, there's a real furry obsession in this show. I guess we'll talk about that later too.
Speaker 4: Because this was birth years ago. This is not like a modern current take on wokeism. But his wife comes home and with her is someone wearing a COVID mask sporting a pink mohawk. And here I'm going to play our first clip.
Speaker 3: What's that warning?
Speaker 5: Actually, that is one of my pronouns. Also, they them and me?
Speaker 3: Your non binary? How do you know that word?
Speaker 5: I learned it in school.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm locked up.
Speaker 4: Nor the judge agreed to conditional parole?
Speaker 3: What condition? Where is my room? That's saying? Here?
Speaker 4: Chaz is part of the new government program.
Speaker 5: To re educate homophobic, transphobic, racist Charlie.
Speaker 3: Finally someone normal. I don't understand you're black? Did that just black whisper? You're his friend and boss.
Speaker 4: So something that isn't fully conveyed just through the sound is that when the daughter finds out that this new person is non binary, she gets like big, big, like lovey eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the black boss character, he is played by failed politician Larry Elder, and he.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's Larry Elder. Yes, Oh that's funny, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: He's just there to show that black people like norm right, yes, exactly, that the progressives actually are racist for not liking Norm because the only black person they're going to put in this.
Speaker 3: Show thinks that he's rad.
Speaker 2: It's just a normal thing that you do if you're a right wing hack making a a low budget cartoon. He is wearing, by the way, a Washington Redskins hat and shirt, and his shirt discontinued four years ago. Yeah, and his first his opening line in the show is him coming in and saying, I come over here to escape woke.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. One thing I do think is interesting.
Speaker 2: Is that both this character because Larry Elder makes a note that like his son is about to transition and is at least non binary. They don't really know what any of this means, so a little bit of the script is unclear as to what these kids actually how they identify. And obviously Norm's daughter is I don't know if she's non binary or just like into a like generally queer, but like.
Speaker 3: That is the impression you're left with.
Speaker 2: And again, if you actually were someone who was kind of conservative, conservative sympathetic, like Mike Judge making like a cartoon, you can actually get some mileage out of the accepting the idea that like, Okay, you've got these curmudgeonly older people, and you've got their kids who are like way more open about this kind of stuff, and there's there's there's room for plots as King of the Hill did pretty well that kind of lampoon the culture in general, but it requires a little more self awareness. Like again, if there was a little bit you might wonder, like, what are we saying if we're the people making this right wing piece of propaganda that all of the young people feel very differently about gender than their parents.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's why Norm keeps saying I'm the old Norm. I want to year And the show is called The New Norm, not to be confused with the nineteen ninety nine ABC sympcom storing Norm MacDonald called it the Norm Shows. It's literally right, it's literally in the name. It's about you know how these people cannot cannot accept that times change, and they slowly get outdated social beliefs. Anyway, every single time that Norm addresses the non binary character, referring to them as pronoun or that his little AI Amazon assistant just bleeps out offensive. Offensive Jazz is here to re educate Norm in non bonary studies.
Speaker 5: I'm allergic to dogs.
Speaker 3: It's okay. Billy is an emotional support dog and non binary. Oh okay, then good dog.
Speaker 4: Just just amazing voice acting in that cliff and with a helpful laugh track, so you know what is a joke and when you're supposed to laugh, which is so embarrassing for an animated sitcom to put on a laugh track, like oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: It smacks of desperation because nobody really liked nobody misses laugh tracks.
Speaker 4: Laugh tracks are like if you have a live studio audience, you know, a laugh track kind of like makes sense, this is this is an animated sitcom. It's like if there's a laugh track on like Rick and Morty or like the Simpsons, Like what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Anyway, the two men sit down to watch sports, and Larry Elder laments that a non binary person is present in the room and starts complaining about his child.
Speaker 1: I come here to get away from woke trouble at home. Oh my boy or whatever it calls themselves now is thinking about transitioning.
Speaker 3: That's try Regina.
Speaker 4: Transitioning to what another humble whatever it calls themself now, amazing pronoun usage, another fumble now. Norm tosses the gay beer to Chaz, the non binary character of Jazz Jazz. Chaz fumbles the catch and says, that's.
Speaker 3: Not even that's not a gay zoomer name.
Speaker 2: Chazz is like something like, that's that's very gen x jazz.
Speaker 4: Totally Yeah, well again, because this is all made by gen X people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, yes.
Speaker 4: Chaz fumbles the catch and says that they can't drink because they're not twenty one, and Larry Elder replies, y'all influence my boy, and I cut off his junk but draw a line at beer, and then Chaz hides behind the couch to call upper level government operatives who are advising them on this re education assignment. I got it.
Speaker 2: Before we get into this, I want to start with what doesn't make sense about that bit, which is that if Chaz was straight edge, right, and they were kind of again, if they actually knew anything about like the real sort of culturals kind of divides that are coming in around gen Z and gen Alfa, they could have made a point that like, yeah, this generation of kids doesn't get drunk and do drugs the way like millennials did, and that's an actual like cultural cleavage point. But Chaz is not straight edge. Chas is just saying I cannot legally drink beer.
Speaker 4: Which right, no gay person has ever said, which nogay, But it like the fact that unless they're straight edge. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Larry Elder then comes in and says like, oh, this is a characteristic but it wasn't like a characteristic of you queer gen Z kids. But the queer gen Z kid did not express that as like a characteristic of his identity.
Speaker 3: Who's just stating this is.
Speaker 4: Illegal because it's illegal? Yeah, very yeah. Anyway, anyway, when Chaz is conference calling with this this upper level government we have, we have this general in like a in like a kink dog mask who barks, and there's a trans woman admiral who says, find a way to break him, maybe we can fix the country. I believe the admiral is a really transphobic character of US Assistant Secretary for Health, Rachel Levine. And yeah, it's not even a good character. It's just it's just doesn't look there is there. There's also another another character which Robert identified as a possible hate crime and and tasked me with locating who this person is. And I believe with about one hundred percent certainty that this is a character of Sam Brinton, who was appointed the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Spent Fuel and Waste Disposition in the Office Nuclear Energy. Are you kidding Apartment of Energy? Now?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: This people are so fucking conservative social media brain, what are you fucking come on?
Speaker 4: Brenton may be well known to some of our listeners as being let go in late twenty twenty two after being linked to a series of airport luggage thefts. One of the funniest things that's ever happened. This person could not stop stealing luggage from airports so much that they got fired from the Department of Energy.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: This this goes back to like twenty eighteen years. God, there's funny years of airport It's so funny. But again, if this was a good comedy thing, they would have some kind of bit like maybe maybe they would be holding like a like a like a you know, like a collection of luggage. But no, they're just they're just they're just standing behind the progress Pride flight Like that's it. Like it's not funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because again because the actual funny thing about this would be to have like your government character be someone at the Department of Energy who got taxed with this through some sort of incoherent DEI narrative and also a character trait as they are always stealing luggage and like you could actually bear it. It's around that over time. But they just they threw all these people in knowing that like the two hundred people who are as right wing online as them would get who all these were as opposed to doing the thing that you would do if you were actually making a show for mainstream consumption, which is like make fun of people that the audience will recognize. Throw with Joe Biden in there right, like obviously we're doing this in twenty twenty four, Like where is anyone that someone who's not completely lost their mind to this stuff will recognize?
Speaker 4: And this is this is the climax of the pilot. It's it's so it's so bad. After after Chaz has this little phone call, the fake camera zooms back to show a fake animated studio audience, and the bad country theme song plays once again, and now I will play it for you because this section is both so pandering but also oddly genuine to it's the end newly same as.
Speaker 1: Everything's changing and I don't know this woven Marilyn, thank God very longlast and his ship those means makes sister all free speech.
Speaker 4: When the song goes, thank god for Elon Musk and his ship, post memes he's the home for free speech, and unvoiced animated Elon Musk pops through the door for no reason.
Speaker 3: And he's someone.
Speaker 2: Someone on Twitter took a screen grab off the Elon Musk and said they gave him that in Smith look, and he does look like one of the fish people from insmuth. That's not a flattering caricature. I think it's meant to be.
Speaker 4: It is because like it's it's I don't know. This is a really interesting moment because this is where it gets like kind of like genuine. Jess Hawkin wrote, the part that blows my mind about this video is the Elon Musk cameo where the bitterness and resentment of the video melts away into still believing in Santa Claus and it gets it gets just so weirdly genuine with this, with this like the kind of heartfelt, saccharine Elon Musk ending Well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of genuine, Garrison, the main thing that's genuine is our love of these sponsors.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are packed. So there after watching this pilot, there's there's a lot of questions to be asked. Why is there a fake animated studio audience? Uh, you know, pretty bad. My friend Ellie Erman pointed out, like why is the protagonist so unpleasant even in their perfect fantasy world? And also why is the word sitcom hyphenated in the title something that you don't do? Just a lot of a lot of baffling things. So there was there was a mix of reactions to this. You know, some of the blue checks on Twitter were kind of lapping this stuff up. One person with the username Amazing Gaming Productions wrote, I know some people are critiquing it, but my fee on saying I laughed at a couple points. It's a good start. I hope you continue to work on it. We need all of the indie material we can create. And included in this tweet is a picture of a very poorly drawn avatar saying, Hi, my name is Indye David. I'm here to fight Goliath Mainstream Oh my god is a gamer Gate two themed gaming company who wants to create anti woke games. They've done in nothing. They just post really bad artwork and I cannot overstate how bad.
Speaker 3: Why his next so wide and so long?
Speaker 4: For how bad the TV show's animation is this? This reply was just so bad I had to pointed out just incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, Dave Rubin, the possible alleged potential most likely creator of the show, does air his work on Blaze TV. You know by by Glenn Beck, and even even other Glenn Beck employees could not could not help but point out how terrible this is.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Logan Hall, writer for Glenn Beck's The Blaze wrote, quote, TV shows on leftism the cringiest, most unwatchable, nauseating trash ever created TV shows on conservatism somehow even worse and one of the most brain poisoned Conservative cartoonists George Acxipolos basically like a discount stone Toss wrote quote south Park head ed, this has as much edge as an uncooked sour dough. Between this and the Daily Wires limp cartoon, they may as well be flushing money down the toilet. He then went on to say, give me a small team, a million dollars and total creative control, and we will make a cartoon pilot that will melt faces. So again he just wants to take to get his own his own TV show, But a whole bunch of these, you know, kind of right wing cultural critics were we're not we're not infused with this, with this outing because it's because it's really bad. So I want to get into kind of who is behind this now the full I hesitate to say creative team, but the people team, Yeah, the team behind the New Norm show, not to be confused with the Fox two season documentary show The New Norm Have been have been largely kept secret, possibly out of fears of humiliation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how you know it's a good show.
Speaker 4: But we at least do know some of the voice cast. Right, Larry Elder plays the token black conservative who only exists to affirm that the main character isn't actually racist. Now, I doubt Larry Elder has much involvement beyond lending his voice and the other two confirmed voice Again, I hesitate to use the word talent or even actor, but the other two voice contributors are Dave Rubin and jpc Now, I believe these two could be much more critical to like what makes up the comedy of the New Norm Show, not to be confused with the Oatly Oat Milk series of online puppet shorts titled The New Norm Anal Show. Now, I assume most people listening to this are familiar with Dave Rubin. Like many of these right wing influencers, he's a failed comedian turned political podcaster who's been positioning himself further and further to the right over the course of the last decade.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: JP Sears was a quote unquote holistic life coach who turned kind of into like a YouTube skeptic type satirical comedian, and while trying to parody new age WU and conspiracy theories, JP was peddling his own pseudoscience and adopting more and more conspiratorial beliefs. Over time, JP and his comedy began moving further and further to the right. But the COVID nineteen lockdown was kind of the breaking point where he went all in on anti VAXX, COVID nineteen and January sixth conspiracy theories. But I think there has to be at least one other contributor, you know, behind like the art and design of the show, and I can't I can't figure out who that is. I scrolled through all of the tweets to try to find out if this account had another name. I can't find out who exactly this other person is. There is there is one mystery, one mystery component. But one interesting thing I did uncover is that the New Norm show, not to be confused with the twenty twelve TV show, The New Normal has been in production in some form for over four years. They've been working on this for over four years. There's one frame from a video titled Character Sketch Evolutions posted on September nineteenth of last year, and this show's project files stretching all the way back to January of twenty twenty. They've been working on this since January twenty twenty. Early sketches of the daughter feature and Antifa and transgender tattoo on her left arm. Also, she has a kefia and posters that read vegans for Palestine, all in twenty twenty artwork. Wow yeah, yeaow. That's kind of fascinating because the daughter character in the published pilot is just wearing like a hoodie and like a beanie. There's there's none of.
Speaker 2: These act like some bracelets that have like a there's at least one of her bracelets has a rainbow on it, which I think is the only queer signaling or like kind of it really signaling of any kind that we get. And she has an Apple watch because lo ol gen z. But yeah, the otherwise her design is completely boring, like there's nothing going on.
Speaker 4: And I found this other, this other thing that is maybe a little bit you know, behind the scenes, look at what this may have been. So last March, this account posted a little comic strip saying, all, look at how it began as a comic strip so possibly this may have originated as not being an animated series but instead an online webcomic, which might explain a few things. And also that I assume the mystery contributor that we don't know probably was working on the webcomic, and then it kind of rope in and more people in the series. But I am going to read out this webcomic just because it is fascinatingly bad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Norm says, for twenty years our address was seven Columbus Ave. Now it's Colin Kaepernick Drive. That's his daughter saying that, and everyone thinks I feel so. The mom says fancy, the daughter says woke, and Norm says sick. And then a whole bunch of news crews show up at Norm's front door. They say, what's it like to live in the most woke address in town? And Norman says, I refuse to call it, Callin Kaepernick Drive. It's Columbus Ave. The news media says, any last words before the angry mob shows up. Should we call a fire department for you? And Norm says, I thought you snowflakes defunded them too.
Speaker 3: It's not even a no.
Speaker 4: No one was talking about defunding the fire department not true anyway.
Speaker 2: It's it's like it's just not even a joke, right, like the there's not like a release of tensionarying with like the the end bit being like him saying, why would we call the fire department you defunded that it's not it's like it's not a joke.
Speaker 4: No, Like the last series of panels are even more disconnected. Yeah, they are back inside. The doors closed. Norman says Chloe, which I guess is his daughter's name, never said in the pilot, Chloe. Why must your generation change everything? And then the doorbell rings delivery. The mom answers the door and says, sorry, wrong address. This is now Colin Kaepernick Drive. Ben Affleck Boulevard is two streets down where James Woods Parkway used to be. My god, that's what that even that is that even do you really like is it? They were okay James would get fallen. They replaced it with ben Affleck Boulevard.
Speaker 2: If you could, if you were someone who was like kind of conservative but not completely brain poisoned, you could actually get some good bits out of Like they changed the name of this street from Columbus avenue to Colin kaepern to drive. Now, the smart way to play off of that would be to make it very clear that the town has a bunch of existing issues with inequality and racism that they have not dealt with in lieu of changing the name of a single street and pretending things are better. And you can actually like there's things you could do with that were you actually making comedy. But like the fact that they the fact that the escalation is rather than sort of like examining this world and like why shit like this gets done just to kind of like make these like performative gestures instead, it's like, and next they're going to replace James Woods with Ben Affleck, which very good? Do the gen Z kids do the progressives like Ben Affleck? Does anyone feel all that strongly about ben Affleck?
Speaker 4: No, we had to start naving streets after ben Affleck. Also, why would there be a James Woods park Way anyway? Whatever?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's naming a street after name a thing James Woods has been.
Speaker 4: In Like, oh my god. So the marketing of this pilot is even is almost as baffling as the pilot itself. Right, there's a few slogans they like to use, first of all, the South Park of X, which is already just brilliant. It's hard legalize humor, very very funny, and make America funny again. They will often just tweet these phrases out with no context, and sure, why not. The home page on their website reads quote The New Norm not to be confused with the ongoing podcast series. The New Norm is an animated sitcom for our woke world, an edgy yet family friendly comedy that shines a funny light on today's most divisive issues and gives Americans a safe space to come together and laugh. Just fantastic stuff.
Speaker 3: Great, great, I love again.
Speaker 2: I made a comment about this, but I love that they're calling this the South Park of X because like the South Park, guys would never put a cartoon or anything else on X because they actually make things that are come martially successful and so real companies will buy their shows, whereas if you're putting something on X, it means that there's no.
Speaker 3: Money in what you're doing. It means that you your show is going to.
Speaker 2: Be monetized alongside those ads for games that don't exist that just show like boy like little action cartoon characters leaping into the legs of like very horny drawings of gorgans and shit and actual straight up pornography because there is no money on X family friendly so funny.
Speaker 4: Now, there are a few reviews that they post on the new norm website. Bill Mahers has brilliant, Dave Rubins has beautiful, Larry Elders has relevant, timely and funny. I'm in, and Kevin He's literally in. He's one of the voices, so is Stave Ruben, and Kevin Sorbo says All in the Family for our time?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Uh, Robert, well, what is All in the Family? Because I am a zoom I need you explain a couple of things. All in the Family was a groundbreaking sitcom show from like fifteen or twenty years before you were born. Even longer than that.
Speaker 2: I mean it was like it was like the seventies, right, yeah, oh shit, it was like thirty or forty years before you were born.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's way way before my time. It's before your time.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it is. And uh Kevin Sorbo do you know who Kevin Sorbo was?
Speaker 4: Even Robert I grew up watching Christian movies. I am intimately familiar with Kevin Sorbo.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, but I know why he actually got famous. Yes, in a show that again predates your existence.
Speaker 4: But it's now just your bad Christian actor.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: These reviews are funny, not only because two of these people giving reviews on the site are literally in the pilot, but also let's look at the Bill Maher quote brilliant. Do you think Bill Maher has seen this pilot?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I don't. He doesn't. No, do you? Of course, because underneath the text that says end quotes brilliant, it says brilliant Bill Maher, HBO Real Time Host, And then in much smaller text, it says, speaking of the show creator's previous work featured on HBO, he's just talking about Dave Rubin being interviewed on his show. At some point Bill Maher said brilliant to Dave Rubin, And now they're using this as a quote endorsing this show.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I kind of I feel, like, so fifteen years or so ago, back when he was still alive, Roger Ebert shared one of my articles that I wrote for Cracked, and I kind of want to take his feedback on that and claim that, like like dressing up his feedback for our podcast, Roger Ebert loves this show that was made ten years after he died. Well he doesn't, but he said something nice about something else I did a long time ago, so I think he would support.
Speaker 4: Show creator's previous work. Amazing. And I we will return to the Kevin Sorbo quote about All in the Family for our time. Yes again, Like this isn't even just a parody of like All in the Family. They're they're taking certain they're they're taking certain elements, but but not like actually satirizing them. They're just kind of doing them again. And do you know what we're gonna do again.
Speaker 3: Robert, good ads.
Speaker 4: We're gonna we arena, we are gonna go to ad.
Speaker 2: We're going We're going to transition, which the people who make this show would really hate.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are back. I have a few images from the from the marketing of this that you're gonna love.
Speaker 3: Robert.
Speaker 4: Back in September, the New Norm shows, Twitter posted this picture It's a very bad.
Speaker 3: Cardome, Mike God, Ben.
Speaker 4: Shapiro, Tucker Carlson, and Joe Rogan.
Speaker 3: What are these?
Speaker 4: It has one like and textra says, who who is your Favett a small they made Bit Shapiro and Joe rokan.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: And there is another another image of norm the titular character saying thank you Chaya, Rycheck and Elon Musk for the freedom to say amen. Now that the word amen was undemonetized. So most of their marketing kind of look kind of looks like this. It's just it's talking about other more popular right wing content creators or just praising Elon Musk. That is most of the marketing for the show. It seems their primary marketing strategy seems to be sucking up to Elon Musk to attract attention from him and his fan base. Now I haven't seen anyone else talking about this yet, but the New Norm Show, not to be confused with the New Norm McDonald Show, actually released their first video project last March. It was titled Elon Musk xaoc AI Animation unquote what, with show creator Dave Rubin saying the future of animation is AI. The video starts with an AI image of Elon Musk in a black suit, with voiceover of norm A dressing Musk saying, Hey, Elon, check this out. We cut to a congressional deposition where AOC is questioning Elon Musk, who's wearing a spacesuit about him, replying quote unquote true to a meme posted by Norm saying that AOC is hot but not smart, mister Musk. There's a slow motion love heart sequence of Elon and AOC staring at each other, and Elon says, I have a hands on approach to the world's population crisis. You'll never get your hands on me.
Speaker 3: I'm boycotting you.
Speaker 4: Then go yourself.
Speaker 3: God, he looks like a cherub in that spacesuit.
Speaker 5: What is so?
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's here's Ai Norm and Ai Elon Musk sitting in this courtroom. Now. Norm says that it's because of Elon's reply quote that millions of people saw my post. So in this, in this like little to no effort. Ai short. They straight up layout their intentions behind all of this clamoring for Musk's attention and approval. Right. Their goal is that if Elon Musk can see their stuff, maybe he'll spread it and it will be popular. That's the intention.
Speaker 3: A nine year old boy, Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: He does. He does look like like cherub. Elon Musk absolutely yeah, But this is this is their entire strategy, right, It's to make content that they hope Elon Musk will see and then boost so that people will give them money. That's that's the entirety of the bit. In the replies to this AI short film, everyone who like expressed that they liked it, saying like so funny or just like a laugh emoji. The norm account replied to every single one of these tweets with a thumbs up emoji. That's it, got, That's that's it, like sometimes with a flaming thumbs up, sometimes with a regular thumbs up emoji, but replying to every single tweet, they just did a thumbs up. It's so it's so lazy, like like.
Speaker 3: Content goes out.
Speaker 2: That's some intern who's getting paid by there in like or if they're getting paid or whatever, however they're getting evaluated. They want to be able to claim that they were doing lots of work. So yeah, they're just going through and thumbs uping every post.
Speaker 3: That's my wild So.
Speaker 4: This is all kind of reminiscent of The Daily Wire's own animated comedy Mister Burcham. Right now, mister Burchram, we talked about in our in Our in Our Daily Wire, episodes earlier this year, but it was it was pitched to Fox, like over a decade ago. They even made a ten minute animatic. Fox passed, and so did every other network and streaming service also declined to pick up the project until until it came across Jeremy Boring's desk a few years ago.
Speaker 2: And Jeremy Bowring said, Adam Carolla, that's who the kids love these days.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they they greenlit the show and it is now airing on The Daily Wire Plus. But most of the jokes are super outdated because again this was pitched ten years ago, over ten years ago, so there's a whole bunch just like Vegan jokes, Like it's jokes that maybe would have been transgressive in twenty eleven. You know. Of course, there's like there's like a few updated jokes thrown in there, but like not many. So in terms of the New Norm show, not to be confused with the many other projects with the same title, only the three minute pilot episode is out right now right, they are soliciting more money and that's the main drive of putting out this pilot is that they are spreading around this donation link like crazy. They've explicitly said when does the first episode drop? Soon? But sooner if y'all give here with the donation link.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Two other tweets read quote support this show to animate the first season, and support this show and help fight the woke mind virus with laughter unquote. I don't think this will actually ever get made because no one's gonna support this because it's garbage.
Speaker 2: This is like that reddap Family an FT cartoon exactly which I'm still hard.
Speaker 4: What they're doing is trying to get you know, like unfortunate souls to donate money to this, and I don't think the right wing billionaires are going to be funding this the same way they fund other Daily Wire projects. So this seems kind of dead in the water. This seems like it, you know, not much thought was put into it. It's lazy. It's also completely stealing a Simpson's joke from nineteen ninety nine. This is the big thing I discovered. So I've been trying to watch more nineties Simpson lately, Good for You, Good for you, solid move, And as I was watching the Strea minute pilot, something started to feel a little bit familiar. And then I read the Kevin Sorbo review All in the Family for Our Time, and I realized something, This whole show is just stealing a cutaway gag from a nineteen ninety nine Simpsons episode about a fake sitcom called All in the Family nineteen ninety nine, in which a new, more woke and inclusive version of the original show is airing on TV. And here's a collection of images Robert in my Google document that shows early concept art of Norm looking exactly like the main character.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, Down with the cigar.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It literally the picture of him in the chair looks traced. It is the exact same. There is a diverse cast standing next to him exactly.
Speaker 2: The woman's study major in her birkenstocks exactly got a rabbi in there as opposed to the which is some nineties diversity com.
Speaker 3: But like, and I remember that bit too, which.
Speaker 2: Is like a it's actually because there were conservatives writing on The Simpsons in the nineties. One of the John Swartzwelder was like a famous libertarian, Like he's a but he's also like funny, and so they made a good bit about like pec like the the rash of like overtly politically correct shows right like it's it's it's a it's a fun side joke that Schwartzwelder was enough of a comedian to know is good for about six seconds exactly.
Speaker 4: And I will play those six seconds right now and at nine thirty All in the Family nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Who geez did he got me living with an African American, a semi American, and a woman American there, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Glad, I love Yasul, I love everybody. I wish I'd shaved my money from the first show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, there's a couple of different jokes there.
Speaker 4: Ye, there's multiple jokes in that three seconds or so. It's such a good layered joke on the part of the Simpsons. It has the parody of Archie from All in the Family kind of being like offensive in an old fashioned way, you know, bemoaning that he has to be around all these people, but also saying that he loves everyone in the way that these kind of shows like to play both sides by showing the main character is still good nature despite his faults. And then he flips again saying he's he's only come back to do the show is he needs money. The bit doesn't overstay. It's welcome it lasts only like ten seconds and yet is infinitely more funny than the entirety of this three minute pilot. And Dave Rubin actually thought he could just rip off a short to obscure Simpson's joke and stretch it into an entire show and no one would notice. So I was really happy to find that this was just stealing an old Simpson's joke really poorly too. And because I've been watching more older Simpsons, I've also realized that a lot of the jokes and Lady ballers are also just completely stolen from Simpsons, but ripped of the context that makes them funny. So all of these like right wing like cranks were trying to produce this comedy stuff. They're all just kind of going back to old Simpsons jokes that people hopefully have like forgotten and are injecting them without the actual humorous context into all of these anti woke projects. And it doesn't work. It simply doesn't. For one, it's plagiarizing and the second and like secondly, it's it's just bad. But yes, I will, I will post some of these comparison pictures on h on my Twitter at Hungry bow Tie. If you want to see the uh, the shocking, shocking hard work.
Speaker 2: That was a fine investigation, Garrison, because you're definitely right, like this is this is a carbon copy of of a cutaway gag about all in the family.
Speaker 3: That's son fucking funny.
Speaker 4: Even the background house is the same look they have, the staircase, the.
Speaker 3: Door, like it's identical.
Speaker 4: Everything is in the exact same position.
Speaker 3: It's wild. I know they said this.
Speaker 2: They sent this to an animator, like they sent that screen grab to the animator.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 2: God, this The Simpsons was such a good show and its golden years that people are still trying to competently rip it off, and again they compare themselves to like the South Park of X. South Park even did a much better job of ripping off the Simpsons and making that be the focus of an episode that like everyone rips off the Simpsons because of how how the long they've been going on, Like yeah, anyway, whatever.
Speaker 4: They were smart enough to remove the cigar in the final pilot, but all because because that would be just so obvious. But all the concept are that they've posted on Twitter like half a year ago has has him with a cigar wearing a white button up shirt and it looks it is it is, it is almost traced.
Speaker 3: It is yea his his? Are they threw on the vest distract.
Speaker 4: It's it's phenomenal. So yeah, amazing stuff from Dave Rubin. He I guess shouldn't have quit interning at the at A at John Stewart back in the two thousands. Maybe maybe he could have had a better life, but instead instead we get this. So great job, Dave Rubin. I wish you only the best in your future creative works.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This, this is what's gonna get him. That that plush writing gig on the Rick and Morty season. I don't know whatever the next one is. I'm sure he's he's he's on the cusp.
Speaker 4: Oh he's close to breaking through. I can feel it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, all right, right, well I'm good. I'm gonna go watch some classic Simpsons again. Thank you for reminding me.
Speaker 4: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from the Cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for it could happen here. Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com, Slash Sources, Thanks for listening.