Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Phillies Show with Rupa Tomorrow Junior Jim Salisbury. I'm todd z Lucky. It is Monday, May thirteenth, twenty twenty four. The Phillies took two out of three this weekend against the Marlins in Miami. Ranger Suarez did his thing on Friday night, seven scoreless innings, Taiwan Walker one run six innings on Saturday, and I think everybody at Lone Depot Park they're calling it now on Sunday, and probably even including the people in the Marlins dugout thought that this is going to be a Phillies sweep. With Zach Wheeler on the mound on Sunday, they give him a three to nothing lead. Nick Castianos hits a three run home run in the first inning. Zach Wheeler goes ten pitches in the first inning, game over, and then Zach Wheeler just really struggles the rest of the way, gives up six runs in four innings. He did not look comfortable, he was not throwing strikes. He didn't seem to be on the same page with Garrett Stubbs. It was just a weird kind of start for Zach Wheeler did not pitch greatly, and afterwards he said, you know, the funny part is when I'm not throwing strikes, I can feel it on the mound and so I can kind of correct. He's like, but today I felt great, and I couldn't figure out what to do, and I couldn't correct it, and so there he goes is his game's over at four innings. So you're always happy to take two out of three. But man, I feel like I feel like this is a series the Phillies. The Phillies should have swept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it tells you how good they're going. When you come out of you know, you win a series, take two of three, and you come out of it with a you know, not a foul taste in your mouth, but certainly a little taste of disappointment that you didn't wrap that up and and and get the three games sweep, especially when you stake one of the best pitchers in baseball to a three donthn lead before he even takes the mound. To me, that's a game. I think Zach Wheeler will tell you this that he needs to lock that baby down. There were other things I think that went wrong in the game. There was. They didn't really build on that lead. They had an opportunity with that leadoff double by Stott in the middle innings and then just a poor bunt and the poor base running play and they kind of run themselves out of an inning and it's a it's a quick inning. But I mean, you mentioned, you know, you mentioned he may maybe had trouble meshing a little bit with Garrett Stubbs. I mean that to me dovetails with another concern. Real Mudro doesn't play. He's got a banged up knee. Schwarber's got a sore back, he doesn't play. Trey Turner's already out. We've seen this team in the last couple of years survive periods without Bryce Harper, you know, crucial player. We've talked about their resilience and next man up attitude, but even those things have their limits. So you really have to come out of this series hoping that Real Mudo Schwarber are just you know, minor tweaks, and that we're going to see them pretty soon, because you know, even the most resilient teams I think have their limits when it comes to injuries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no question about that. Here's my here's my thing I have.
Speaker 4: You know, my biggest thing about injuries is I think about the catching position a lot with the Phillies because you talk about it like a serious drop off on the Garrett Stubbs great energy, does a pretty good job behind the plate, dedicated.
Speaker 3: You know, they love them, the great teammate, all that stuff that said.
Speaker 4: You know, without real muto back there, you don't have a whole lot of light at the end of the tunnel, even behind Garrett Stubs, so you're not looking at a ton of depth. You know, Marshawn is a kid that has literally cannot get off the training table set. He's had all types of different issues.
Speaker 3: I think he's still on the il, not able to really do much.
Speaker 4: He's got back, he's got risks, he's got this, he's got that. And when you start thinking about, you know, where can the Phillies really get hurt, it would be behind the plate. And I know there's not a ton of teams that have that kind of depth. I just don't know that you know that they that'd be a tough one for them to survive. That would be the one spot where I feel like they don't have enough depth that they would have real trouble surviving. But I'm going to try to stay on the positive side of what happened in the last couple of games, last three games.
Speaker 3: Ranger Suarez is a king. I mean, the man is an absolute machine.
Speaker 4: Love the way he's going about his business, calm, cool, collected. I mean everything he does is just spectacular. And you know he's setting up everything with his fastball. I mean it's really it's a four scene fastball. It's a two seam fastball. It's really spectacular watching work and his other breaking stuff is really good, and he's throwing strikes with it and all that other stuff.
Speaker 3: But I mean that just the command and his.
Speaker 4: Ability to throw the pitch it pitches where he wants to is just spectacular. And it is eight again, and we've talked about it probably a million times.
Speaker 3: It's a testament to being able to pitch.
Speaker 4: If you can pitch and you can throw your fastball and throw your pitches where you want to, you can keep guys off off target and off timing, you can have a ton of success. Also, Taiwan Walker threw the ball well again. You know, you start thinking about the pitching depth and what the Phillies have pretty darn awesome that Taiwan Walker again not throwing ninety four ninety five ninety six miles an hour. He's cutting the ball, he's splitting it, he's thing different things with it.
Speaker 3: And it's it's a really cool thing to see.
Speaker 4: You got to give Caleb Coffin some love because whatever, you know, pitching plans they have and however they're you know, working it over, they're doing a really really.
Speaker 3: Good job of it. And they're pitching.
Speaker 4: There's not one guy on that staff that is that's blown people away with their stuff and the starting rotation.
Speaker 2: So Todd, let me ask you Wheeler's uh, his command just wasn't there. You know, I was watching him. You just miss in with what looked like a sinker. He missed away with the look look like a four steamer, and then you know he throws one right down the middle to Josh Bell and he just crushes it. What was Wheeler like after the game? What did he talk about? Where did he think he got off track a little bit?
Speaker 1: You know, it's maybe because he had a lot of time to cool down. Uh, he actually was in pretty decent spirits. He kind of just said listen, I did not have my good stuff today. He was kind of baffled by the way he threw. He didn't really understand it. He said, like I said earlier, he felt great, but he was he just didn't seem comfortable, you know. He he just seemed out of sorts. So he throws that that cutter down the middle to Josh Bell hits a three run home run. He immediately goes to home plate to chat with the umpire. There was a two to one pitch that he thought should have been a strike. His borderline was called a ball. He was thrown a lot of balls out, like a lot of balls out. He said, you know, they were high scene balls. I don't like the high scene balls. So every time I got a high seamen ball, I was throwing it out. You know, we mentioned the Garrett Stubbs. You know, he shook off Stubbs. I think in the second inning. It was in a bat with Nick Gordon like two or three or four times, and finally Stubbs came out and they chatted. So it's kind of a lot of different things going on. It was very un Zach Wheeler like, and but he did have some time to cool down It was funny because you remember a couple of weeks ago in Los Angeles, he was like five innings, but he was all over the place. He was not happy, he was very He was certainly got surly Zach after the game. More more more even keeled Zach after this one. But you know, going back to the stubs thing and Rubin, I agree, like if something would happen to JT long term, that would be that would probably be a devastating blow. Is just looking at some of the options, like Mark Shawn is coming back. He's supposed to start playing in games, maybe within the next few days, finally starting getting back to some health. But Ramas Garcia was a guy they had in camp in spring training that they thought, you know, they liked a little bit, could play some defense. You receive the ball pretty well behind the plate. He's betting one thirty nine and triple A three eighty one ops. Their other catcher, Jose Goadoi's betting one fourteen with A three twenty fours. So they're not getting anti production at triple A from any of their catchers. So and Marshawn's the only other catcher on the on the forty man roster, so they and the good news is they don't think anything with JT is serious. They said his knee was banged up. I asked Rob yesterday morning, could he play? He said he could play, He could play. We want to be careful with him because it's JT, and so they're going to check on him today. He said he could have played an emergency situation. So maybe he's back tonight. Maybe they give him an extra day. Kyle Schwarber, he's got a sore back. He felt it on his swing in the seventh inning on Saturday. Then he actually said he might have aggravated further running from first to third in the seventh thing, so he came out of the game. Talked to Kyle on Saturday. He does not think it's an il situation. In fact, he thought on Saturday he was going to try to take some swings at some point to see if he can pinch it if necessary. It was not necessary on Saturday. They could have used him though. On Sunday, Cody Clements came in late to pinch hit instead of Kyle Schwarber. Cody Clements popped up, so the bad the back is still not good to go, but they got to get those guys healthy. I think this is really the only thing that I think could kind of screw the Phillies up right now is if they have turned her down, real Muto down, Schwarber down, you know, the thank goodness for the starting pitching, it would give them a puncher's chance.
Speaker 3: But you know, no question these guys healthy.
Speaker 2: It doesn't necessarily scare me these injuries, but it concerns me because no one knows this better than Ruben. Guys getting North authority. Injuries happen, and we saw it, you know, a little more than a decade ago, with with you know, a great team that's continually got banged up, and all of a sudden it's not a great team. How does a GM approach all this, Ruben, are you out there looking for not to slight anybody, but you're looking for more catching depth, You're looking for more organizational depth? Or what do you do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I'm looking for more catching depth because I think it's just too important a position. At the very least, somebody that I can know, that I know can run a baseball game for a championship caliber team, because if someone were to go down, you know your fellow one foul, tip away or whatever the case may be, and so you have to be prepared for that.
Speaker 3: That's one thing. I think. The other.
Speaker 4: You know, you're always sort of out out on the prowl and you're always peeking around to see what what can help you. You know, they made that trade for Ohapi and they moved to Ohapy for Brandon Marsh, which was a great trade for both teams.
Speaker 3: You love those kind of.
Speaker 4: Trades because you know you're getting equity to both sides of the of the of the trade, and it was an important one for both. But it also hurts you are catching depth and you know, you know that's that's one of the difficulties with moving that.
Speaker 3: Type of player in that position.
Speaker 4: That said, I think that you know Dave Dombrowski, he's a very shrewd man. He knows the game, he understands I'm sure that one either there feeling good about Marshawn, who I think can actually run won a game pretty well, but he hasn't played at all, like almost shoot, almost two years, he hasn't. He hasn't played, and that's a big big thing to get back into it and then and then to have the understanding if he has to play to have the understanding of how to run, you know, run the game with a staff that's had a lot of success.
Speaker 3: And you know, a team that you're expected to have win.
Speaker 4: That said, I'm sure that Dave Dombrowski's on top of it, and if there's an opportunity to add some of that death, I'm sure he'll take that chance and try to make that happen because I know he knows that that's a you know, really really important position. But that said, let's hope that doesn't doesn't that doesn't become a factor. J JT's super, super durable and knock Wood they're gonna be They're gonna be just fine.
Speaker 1: So the last two games with Schwarber out, Rob Thompson has had wit Mayfield hit leadoff, and I asked him why Wit over anybody else. He said, well, he's hit lead off a lot. I mean, he's hit lead off.
Speaker 3: Most of his career.
Speaker 1: But I'm curious for your guys opinion. Say the Schwarber thing lingers a few more days, Say the back doesn't get any better, and he goes on the injured list for ten I guess it's ten days, fifteen days, fifteen days. Do you like Witt Mayfield in the leadoff spot or would you take a red hot Bryce and Stott out of the five hole and move him up. There's two different schools of thought there, right, you go at the experience, got the top you don't want to except Bryce and Scott? Or do you say screw that. I want Bryson Stott hitting leadoff?
Speaker 3: What do you guys want to do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would go with Stott. You know, I always kind of read into how people, you know, act and talk, and Rob Thompson has con continually said over the years that he thinks Bryson Stott has all the tools to hit lead off one day and be pretty good at it. So he's done a little bit before. I think we'd probably see them see him there, but you know, who knows. I thought we'd see I didn't think we were going to see a ton of soda of Edmundo Sosa in the lineup, But he seems to have found something at the plate and he's out there all the time now. So I don't think it would affect going to leadoff, would affect Bryson Stott's hot hand. I think it, if anything, maybe could enhance it because boom, you're in the leadoff hole, and that would even to me, ramp up your concentration, you feel good about yourself, You almost like a little bit of a promotion, and go and do the job.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that stops swinging the bat again.
Speaker 4: I mean, I actually made the bold statement, and he's got a chance to win a batting title, and with Louisa rise in the uh in in the same league, it makes it tough. That said, it's nice to see him swinging the bat well after a very slow start for him.
Speaker 3: And I do think depending on that, like the structure of the.
Speaker 4: As long as as long as I think trade Turner's not is out, I think that they'll probably use a left right combination. Like against the left you probably see Meryfield leadoff, and then against the right you may may very well see Bryce and Stott leadoff.
Speaker 3: I just have that strange feeling if Schoreberd is not.
Speaker 4: Able to not able to go for a while, I just think that that might be the formula. That said, you know, I'm confident in Bryce and stop because when he's swinging the back the way he's swinging the bat right now and for a lot of the year last year and watching his growth overall, I got no problem with him in the one hole. It's great to have options, baby, Yeah, right, that's great to have options.
Speaker 1: So if if Schwarber is not right, Schwarber can't play tonight, Nick Castianos is probably gonna dh and which is kind of maybe I'm a nerd, but I like the idea tonight. Tonight, tonight you could have Brandon Marsham left, Johann Rojas and center and Christian Pace.
Speaker 3: And right field.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a defensive outfield that could be just for fun for one night, see them just track down literally every fly ball. H Nick Castianos this weekend. I don't I'm I'm never right on predictions, but I kind of hinted that he was gonna have a good weekend this weekend, just because he's home and he loves home, and he's a vibes guy, he's a feelings guy. Hit hit two home runs. And I don't know if you guys saw the comments he made after Friday's game talking about getting on a roll lately, but he said he basically his entire career, he's never had a plan. I've never looked for pitch. Basically, the game's glorified bratting practice. And I'm going to get back to that. So it's very Nick Castianos type quote. And I asked him, I said, is this something that you kind of was there a particular moment where you decided that you're going to start, you know, stops thinking so much of the plate, And he said, naw, it's just kind of like ice, right, it just kind of melts away. So poets a poet, he is a poet.
Speaker 2: But it goes back, doesn't It go back to what we talked about in the early stages of this podcast. You know that there's so much information these days, so much analysis, and it's not for everybody. And you know, hitting you know, they say baseball is a thinking man's game, and yes it is, but it's also a reaction game. And there are thinking players and there are reaction players, and sometimes thinking can be an enemy of natural, organic performance. And Nick Castiano is a reaction guy, and he's a field I mean, you look at that home run he hit in the first inning yesterday. He either picked up that spin out of the hand or he was sitting breaking ball, and he demolished it and and you know he's swinging at the first first three at bets. He saw three pitches. I mean, so aggressive, sitting on something gets it. If you're not going to get that pitch, you're gonna be in trouble. But we could see him warming a little bit before the trip to Miami, and he's say, you know, he's a reaction player, you know, and he's reacting and reacting to pitches, and he's and he's warming up in it. It goes back to everything. I think all three of us has said. The track record is good and he's gonna get going.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's nice to see him get it going. He feels comfortable. Obviously, it's his home in Miami. That's his that's his space, that's his his space.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he can carry it.
Speaker 4: At some point, he's going to get closer and closer to the numbers on the baseball card.
Speaker 3: I did I agree with you, Jim.
Speaker 4: I saw him starting to swing the bat a little bit better before they left, you know, driving some balls to the right side, right center field.
Speaker 3: Pop it on over there, drove the ball. He's you know, he hip you know, ball off the wall.
Speaker 4: I mean he's got some when he's doing that and taking the types of swings that he took on that on that home it was like really free and easy.
Speaker 3: It was a free, easy swing.
Speaker 4: It was like, you know, tension free, like Charlie Nanuel used to say, a tension free swing. And I think when he's swinging that way and he's not thinking, he's just reacting as you said, and just letting his natural ability to.
Speaker 3: Hit come through, then he's going to be He's going to be effective.
Speaker 4: It's a cool thing to watch, like, uh, each player is starting to take his turn getting hot. And that's the beauty of this lineup is that there's some streaky guys on the team. There's no question about it. I mean Harper streaky at times and JT streaky at times, and Schwarber streaky obviously, And but if you get enough guys going at the right time, you can get two or three guys going, and which is what is sort of happening. It's like the perfect storm.
Speaker 3: Then that's that's the beauty of this The depth of this lineup is.
Speaker 4: It is that you can have those two or three guys carry you for a while. And it's really nice to see Johann Rojas starting to play and swing the bat well. I mean, no one's talking about Johann Rojas, and he's starting to grow as a hitter and as a player, and his confidence is growing. And he is not an out in that nine hole anymore. He's a guy that can do some stuff. And to turn that lineup over for Schwartz.
Speaker 2: Todd, you were you were mentioned that, you know, going to City Field, you're eager to see that defensive alignment. It's a big yard. Yes, Ruben coach the outfielders up there, tell us a little bit about playing the outfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had Conforto and Nemo out.
Speaker 4: There, and you know, at one point Jay Bruce was out there. It was it was a challenge because they didn't really have a true center.
Speaker 3: Fielder out there.
Speaker 4: And you know now they finally moved Nemo to a corner, which is where he probably belonged.
Speaker 3: I think it is a challenging outfield. You have to cover some space.
Speaker 4: It's a place where he you know, I mean, just like in any other big ballpark, you got to get people who can track down the baseball and and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Totally agree with you. I love that defensive alignment. Man, Those guys. Can those guys can really really play? I mean, obviously Marsh can play center field.
Speaker 4: But but when you have Rojas out there in center and pot Jay and can play centerfield, you got three guys who play center field, and a couple of them at an elite level. And when you have that kind of alignment, think about what it was like when we had you know, Shane, Victorino, and Jason Worth out in the center and right. I mean those guys, I mean again, Jason Worth could play center field if he wanted to, or left wherever, and Shane obviously could play all three. When you start, when you start lining up, that kind of defense man makes life a lot easier for his pitching, especially with the ball in the air so much in this day and age, everybody trying to get the ball to the air.
Speaker 2: So can I can I geek out for one second? Todd?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about, you know, outfield, playing big outfields and tough outfields to play. Rubin also, you know, he coached with the Mets coach their outfields. He also coaches for two years with the Red Sox coach their outfielders. How tough is right field I mean, I can still see Dwight Evans making that catch in the seventy five World Series and doubling up at first base. Uh you know, go back and look at it on YouTube. Great catch at the three eighty signing leap. But how tough is it to play right field in Fenway Park.
Speaker 4: Well it's really super tough. But I mean, who better to play at than Mookie Bets and and then the man. You know, I have a little love affair with Mookie. He's one of my one of my favorite all time athletes and people, and I consider.
Speaker 3: Him a good friend.
Speaker 4: He is was one of the most hard working, most diligent guys in the world. And you almost in a lot of ways, just like in you know, just like in left field and centerfield and Colorado, you almost needed to center fielders to really play that position well or close to the ability to do that. So a guy like Jason Worth, and that's why I think Seane Victorino had success in right field over there, because he's a pretty darn good right fielder as well. So when you have you almost really have to have somebody who can not only you know, not only hit, but you want somebody who can can go get it in the outfield. It's a lot of space out there that corner, you know, wrapping around the pole. You have to have some athleticism because you've got to, you know, and some ingenuity and you have to be an intelligent player to sort of play that line and have to understand how the ball is going to come off the walls over there, and you've got to be able to cover ground in the right center because it's like, you know, it's like a graveyard.
Speaker 3: It's a graveyard out there.
Speaker 4: So so having the combination of Jackie Bradley and Mooie Betts out there was pretty spectacular, and they did it as well as anybody, and.
Speaker 3: They worked very hard at it.
Speaker 4: So I mean, and I love the fact that, you know, actually I watched Paco Figuo work with his outfitters and what a job he's done with with Nick Cassianos. Dude, I will tell you that this Castianos, before he came to the Philadelphia Phillies, was a well well below average right fielder, and he has made himself at the very least an average at right fielder. He's made some catches in the gap, he's made some ketches over his shoulder. He's made that unbelievable sliding play coming forward, and it's due to the work and the effort that Paco Figaroa put in with him, and the fact that you know, he was dedicated and making himself better. So you got to give Cassianos some love for that. Very easy for guys to just kind of fade off into the sunset as far as their defense is concerned.
Speaker 3: To watch that Manny Rumiers, he.
Speaker 4: Should have been a great, great outfielder and could have been, and was a pretty good one when he first got to the big leagues, but then you know, it became.
Speaker 3: All about the the bat for him. That's not happened with Castianols, and you got to give him some love for that. He's out there working all the time.
Speaker 1: You see Nick out there before the game with PoCA working on different trills and whatnot. So so Philly's Mets, it's a home and home. So two games at City Field, they come back and play two at Citizens Bank Park tonight. Monday night's Christopher Sanchez versus Sean and I, who's pitching pretty well. Tuesday it's Aaron Nola versus Jose Bhutto, who's one and two with the three point series are a. Mets haven't announced their starters for Lisa. I haven't seen him for Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday at home, it's gonna be Ranger Suarez. Thursday's gonna be Taiwan Walker. Ranger Suarez has a one to five zero e RA through eight starts. The last Phillies pitcher to had a one point five zero ERA through the first eight starts of the season to open a season Grover Cleveland Alexander nineteen sixteen. I mean, that's crazy to put a little to put a little history on Ranger Suarez. That's how ridiculous he's pitching. He's the first Phillies starter to open a season with seven wins in seven or more wins in his first eight starts since Steve.
Speaker 3: Carlton in nineteen eighty one. Is that good?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Is that that's?
Speaker 1: That's that's strong too, quite strong.
Speaker 2: I wonder how hard? I wonder how hard Grover Cleveland Alexander through the baseball.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so funny when it has that cast back then. I can't believe it, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: Because Todd Actually, you know, he's always cutting on like old time baby, like he thinks wouldn't have made it out of a ball these days.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when Adam out Of I think it was Adam out Of, you know right.
Speaker 3: He said, if Babe Ruth played it, I'd.
Speaker 1: Streck him out every time. Do you remember that. I think he was pitched for the Yankees at the time.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of.
Speaker 4: There, there's a lot of players who say that kind of stuff all the time. Let me just tell you something, at some point, these those players, if they were playing in this era.
Speaker 3: They would have made adjustments and they and they would have been just.
Speaker 1: Fine, totally and I and I totally agree with that. Like you know, you take you know, Chuck bedn Erik in the nineteen sixties, he would get creamed against these guys. But if Chuck ben Erik was born in this era, he probably would be a stud. So that's my take on that.
Speaker 3: But I do kind of like.
Speaker 1: To poke fund at sometimes at the you know, Grover Cleveland Alexander's probably throwing seventy miles an hour, loading up the baseball with a bunch of spit, because I think that was legal back then. Ruben, how was your you were in Miami this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: For those that aren't watching on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Ruben's got his University of Miami cap on and.
Speaker 3: H representing, yeah, representing you. It was really terrific. My daughter, Sophia graduated. I think she graduated like a three seven or something something crazy from the what they call the business school, and I'm just really proud of her.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It was my last one.
Speaker 4: My first one graduated four years ago and this one and Sophie graduates.
Speaker 3: Great weekend. My liver is struggling a little. I'm gonna have to go.
Speaker 4: On hiatus a little bit there for a far too many alcoholic beverages.
Speaker 3: But great time, really proud their mom. Virginia had an awesome party.
Speaker 4: We had a couple of great dinners, just having My brother came down and surprised her with his uh with his.
Speaker 3: Wife and my sister in law and so Taco and Jen we're there. It was just really really cool to you know, to be able to celebrate that moment and couldn't be more proud.
Speaker 4: Can't wait for heard to come up here and live with me and start working here right over here in Addenfield.
Speaker 3: So pretty cool. Well, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, that's very exciting, very exciting, so yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: So let's see if Phillies mets this week. I want to thank our partner, Phillies Nation. I think we have something we'll be announcing with Phillies Nation at some point. I don't know if we have the okay yet to do that, so keep your eye out for that little little intrigue for everybody. So thanks everybody for listening to Philly Show. If you are not following us on your podcast platform, please do follow us on YouTube, give us a review. It's very helpful. Follow us on all your social media platforms. You post clips so you can actually watch us as well as listen to us. So thanks everybody, and we will talk to you later this week.
Speaker 4: Smell your latter, I'll smell you, Jim