Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star in Frisco, the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Tyler and now your host, Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Today is Thursday, April thirteenth, twenty twenty three. We are two weeks out, fourteen days exactly from the NFL Combine in Kansas City. As the draft is woolen along.
Speaker 4: My I literally twitched a little bit.
Speaker 2: Why why was that the sound? We should be excited. I'm pumped. We should be pumped for this.
Speaker 3: We are the Draft Show, presented by presented by Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: It's Miller time. Beemer. I don't believe you, Honestly, I.
Speaker 3: Don't believe that you're not ready, because every time we talk about a specific player, we have video coverage of him up on the board.
Speaker 2: Every every single thing trying back here, we're trying well, you do a great job. And because of that, we're actually gonna reward Beamer.
Speaker 3: In the last segment, We're gonna let him lead to tell me more with his with some of the prospects that he's had. We're gonna have a Beamer's choice, tell me more. Oh no, in the back. So that'll be our third segment today, Leap.
Speaker 5: That's got me terrified, Yeah, because I want to do a stump the Beam. You know, can we stump him if he doesn't have during during our weekend draft coverage?
Speaker 2: Does he not have tape on these guys?
Speaker 5: He's probably gonna ask us players that he's putting in like number three hundred.
Speaker 2: We're like, I haven't seen this guy. Thanks a lot, Beam. Then that's when we were sort of the beast. I love you. There you go. I like it. How's everybody doing doing well? Who'd you watch last night? Brian? Did you watch anybody?
Speaker 6: Let's see who I did watch last night, because there were several guys that I watched last night and I know it did Eric Smith. The other day, I finally got around to my the Missouri uh, the Missouri defensive end McGuire. We talked about him at all, Isaiah McGuire. Isaiah McGuire, so yeah, let me let me get.
Speaker 2: He watched him last night as well, sir. He's a bit of a tweeener, isn't he? He is?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 6: To me, I think he could play defensive end. I think that he's one of those guys that when you when you watch him play, he's six y four, he's to sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's how I would.
Speaker 6: Say he's He definitely has that NFL ready frame and he's thick, he's got length. Uh, he could his initial I know Aish is really big on this. When you start talking about defensive lineman, that hand, the shock that you have the ability to control.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: He is all about getting up the field. That is what he absolutely really wants to do. He's not really a guy that has I don't think a lot of really nifty type pass rush moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's more of a bull rush kind of a guy.
Speaker 6: He's going to take the tackle, he's going to try and walk him and uh, you know, you gotta be He's got to be a little careful in the run game because you will you'll see him get driven out of gaps a little bit. With the way he plays for six four two sixty eight, you would think he'd be a little bit more stouter at the point of attack. But the majority of host rushes, like I say, are bull rushes. And he gets to it, you know, that way, but he does. He wants to get up the field. He wants to chase the ball. He could finish when he gets in position, and the linked I think is super, super impressive, and that's why I think that the Cowboys are looking at This was a late add to me because I didn't have this guy initially. And I started talking to some scout guys around the league and they're like, what do you think of the maguire kid from Missouri?
Speaker 2: And it was like.
Speaker 6: Aisha when she takes her little notes and writes guys down. I did the same thing on this guy, and this is what this is what I saw.
Speaker 2: I love everything you said at the length to me.
Speaker 5: When he uses his arms and he's able to extend in that bull rush, I mean, that's really what he loves to do. He plays with a lot of power. But Brian's absolutely right in terms of the gap integrity. He can get caught a little bit upfield because to his point, he's always trying to rush up and I think sometimes his rush can kind of get a little wide of the quarterback at times.
Speaker 2: But there is a lot to like high upside player.
Speaker 5: I think he's got the prototypical size and athleticism for the position. I'm a fan of HEAs I mean in the fourth round range. If you don't end up taking an end and you want one there and you've kind of filled some of your other spots, maybe he's one of the higher rated players on your board.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of upside with him.
Speaker 6: See that's the guy too again, excuse me, sure real quick, that's the guy that you fear about missing that all of a sudden he gets picked and you should have watched it.
Speaker 2: But you're watching some seventh round guy that's probably not going to get picked. You know, that's how you have to use your time.
Speaker 6: And you know, the scouting world, the media scouts sometimes are behind the real scouts.
Speaker 2: And luckily that you know, when I was fortunate enough to work with some real scouts and there's like, no, man, you got to watch the scout. Yeah, you gotta go wch.
Speaker 5: I was glad you recommended him because he was a fun watch, especially against Brodery Jones and that game against Rorty about that show and they had a good battle.
Speaker 8: I didn't have a whole bunch of implanty y'all said everything y'all need to say about him.
Speaker 4: But I was going to say, when.
Speaker 8: You talk about his length and his arms, I wrote down has to find consistent leverage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just because, like you.
Speaker 8: Guys mentioned, sometimes he is so trying to get upfield that he can get overpowered. I've seen it a couple of times, and he's not not powerful, like he has power.
Speaker 4: It's just that the leverage thing. Sometimes. I like how he disengages.
Speaker 8: That's one of my favorite things about him, is how he disengages and how he wants to disengage, Like he's trying to get these guys.
Speaker 4: He tossed the guy a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with those arms.
Speaker 5: It's when he plays with his he uses his reach to his advantage, and he doesn't do it enough. You know, when he's able to extend and then scrape off, that's when he's kind of at his best. I didn't want to ask you guys, because I was watching Andrew Vore. He's the USC guard who had that unfortunate towards a right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where would you guys pick him? Because he's he's a heck of a football player, man.
Speaker 4: I would just pick him.
Speaker 2: We're at huh, what do you mean just whenever?
Speaker 4: Noah, I don't know about I wouldn't be afraid for the cowboys. I don't know by everyboyoo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but with.
Speaker 8: This train of staff that they have here and stuff, I would not be afraid to pick him.
Speaker 4: Maybe in the coming off a c O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, al, maybe in the fourth yeaheah. I think that's fair, you know, I think that to me.
Speaker 6: There used to be a time in the uh in the drafting back in the day, and I don't know if they'd do it as much anymore. My last room I sat in was two thousand and five, but we used to do this. The fourth round was like the criminal injured ground round if you were a criminal, if you're a criminal, just being honest, you know, just being honest.
Speaker 2: This is where Brian would have gotten picked.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is but the fourth round was always for the criminal guys and the injured guys. You know, if you had something where you were thinking, Okay, something happened, but we need to give this guy his due, you know.
Speaker 2: Where would you know that that?
Speaker 6: Now that you know, you bring up an interesting point because and I used to work criminals, so it sounds terrible and I'm about to say a player's name, but this is where a guy like Lyle Collins comes into play. Okay, so, all of a sudden, Lyle Collins is in a draft and Lyle Collins's first round ability coming out of LSU, and then all of a sudden things started popping up hanging over his head about potential criminal issues, and all of a sudden, now everybody's sending their security people to Baton Rouge to figure out what's going on, and nobody could really get a handle on it. So you didn't want to select Lyle Collins if you didn't have all the information. And so then it turned into, well, let's just go after him as a free agent.
Speaker 2: Let's see. You know, we're not you know, no harm, no foul here.
Speaker 6: You know, if we get beat on this, if it works out, if it doesn't work out, we don't lose anything. So but there was a time, like I said, where we would sit there in the fourth round and if you knew all the information, but we're just a little bit, just a little bit, you know, maybe a little bit hesitant, but you're like, now we need to take this guy. That worth round was always the medical and always that round where you you did that, but Lyle was one of those guys that you didn't have all the information to put him up on the board with confidence.
Speaker 3: And where by no means calling Andrew voorh he's a criminal and compares to criminals.
Speaker 2: In the medicals.
Speaker 6: I'm just I'm sorry that I'm just being I'm being really honest about how scouting works. Sure, and you know, and these teams say that they don't you know, it's in those war rooms you say things. I live this, So I'm just giving you an idea. Yeah, am I calling these guys criminals? No, they're criminal things that they might have done right, some background stuff, background stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of those guys. Man.
Speaker 5: I think for the Cowboys, he's interesting to consider because you look at the guard position, like maybe he doesn't play for you this year, so is he going to come in and help right away? But the future of Zach Martin? How many more years is you going to play? Do you want to be able to take a guy who might be a Day two pick and most raps could be a second rounder and you're able to get him early day three because of the injury and he falls because to me, the way that he's able to run block, the way that he's constantly able to finish blocks. He's always turning those legs driving blockers back. I think he's run blocking's better than his past blocking. But he's super technical. He's very consistent. You know exactly what you're getting. And the ACL injuries I don't think scared teams as much as they used to.
Speaker 8: I was about to say, if you the Cowboys you like, well, I don't know what that's going like right now, but I will say, whatever Terrence Steele is doing, hey Andrew, can y'all get together and talk about it or whatever the case may be and see if we can get him on the same regiment, because I mean, yeah, acls are slowly but surely. I remember growing up when I would see a guy terr at ACL in NFL, I felt like his.
Speaker 7: Career was over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I felt like his career was done.
Speaker 8: And I think that modern technology, also modern medicine and just fantastic training, different regiments and stuff are starting to allow players.
Speaker 4: To come back earlier.
Speaker 8: What would what would his timeline, well, the normally normal a CL timeline, What are you looking at possibly getting boy?
Speaker 3: He he would be If so, he tore it at the combine, that's early March, like late February.
Speaker 2: I don't think you would have him for the year. No, No, it would be sometime in the middle of.
Speaker 6: This is this is this is a pick and stash is what this is. This is a pick and stash.
Speaker 3: See, and I think with that I would be comfortable in the fifth give me a give.
Speaker 2: Me a fifth round pick. And if that's the case.
Speaker 3: It was a two time All American and he played a ton of games for USC. He started as a freshman and continued through the COVID year and everything.
Speaker 2: He was voted the best blocker in the PAC twelve. Yeah, I mean you can see it.
Speaker 6: It's called the excuse me, I think it's called the Morris Trophy that they give you the best blocker in the in the PAC twelve.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean he's he's.
Speaker 6: Everything you really talk about in an offensive lineman. I mean, he's he's made a bunch of starts.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is. The thing that he might struggle with a little bit is and I don't know if you noticed this, he gets a little top heavy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the way he play, and so you wonder if if you become. If you're a top heavy player, are you gonna be able to recover.
Speaker 2: Like that against better competition? Are you gonna be able?
Speaker 6: And not that the Pac twelve plays bad football, They've got outstanding players, but are you going to be able to recover if you get a little top heavy, if you get off balance and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. That's the thing that.
Speaker 6: I only worry about him, But man, he is. This guy is a blue collar, hard working guy. That I mean, the knee been, the foot quickness. There's a lot of things about him that you can surely like.
Speaker 2: One thing that I need to go look at.
Speaker 3: But about Vorhee specifically, because I watched his twenty twenty two tape and he's solid. He's a solid player. I thought the top heaviness was there. I thought the way that he reset was kind of iffy at times. But from a most from a footwork standpoint, from a fundamental standpoint, he's a good blocker.
Speaker 2: The one thing I heard.
Speaker 3: Is that his twenty one tape was better than his twenty two tape. And I have not watched his twenty one tape yet, okay, and I heard it was much better. Maybe that's something that we look into. Hey, maybe we pushed his great up in the fourth round. This guy, though, does have a history of knee problems.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I mean, so if you go back and you check his medical stuff, he's had a foot problem, he's had a knee problem. I'm sure he's played through a lot of things. And I think at twenty eighteen he had a meniscus tear that he was dealing with too. Yeah, I did so, So you know, you're talking about a guy that as an offensive lineman that the wear and tear on these guys is not great. You know, are you drafting a guy that's always going to be dealing with injuries like that?
Speaker 4: There's knees that's something to look at.
Speaker 8: And then also too, just it sounds like the conversation of age has been a thing also through this this draft in particular, And so, yeah, being a five year starter is great, But then when you possibly I missed this year, first year, how old is he gonna be.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be twenty five and a half by the time he sees his first.
Speaker 4: NFL And I wonder if that matters to any of these.
Speaker 6: That's that's a that's something that I remember because we drafted when I was here, we drafted Terrence Newman out of Kansas State, and he was an older corner and everybody's like, why would you take an older corner?
Speaker 2: And then he played like eighteen years. He played till he was forty. Yeah, played eighteen years or something. That was crazy with Terrence.
Speaker 6: And I think what's going to happen is we're going to see a cycle because of the COVID seasons and people going back. So I have a feeling people are going to say, oh, he's an older player. Well, half the damn draft is older too, because the guys that came back and the inns allowed them to take that extra year.
Speaker 2: So you're going to see some It was a corner, that's.
Speaker 6: A it was a five year starter that I looked at the other day. But you know, there's, like I'm saying, there's there's these guys that you know, we're playing forty fifty games, you know, because yeah, because well somebody was looking at.
Speaker 3: But Entrey Braswell from a cornerback spot, was born in ninety eight, so he's going to be twenty five very soon.
Speaker 6: I saying, the COVID seasons, it'll catch back up to where they will.
Speaker 2: You know, they no longer have the option.
Speaker 6: But we're going to get through that cycle of those older players and then they're gonna be through.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have some five and six year guys playing. You also add in the new element of the nil and how college athletes, collegiate athletes, athletes can make money, Yeah, while playing willing to stay, so it makes it more enticing to stick around until their senior year. They don't have to leave as juniors, they don't have to leave as red shirt sophomores. They can stick around and make their money at the collegiate level as well.
Speaker 2: Aisha, Let's let's hear about somebody else that you watch. I want to try.
Speaker 3: My goal today is just to talk prospects. I just want to be war room. Let's do this prospects out there. I've got a ton of Twitter on the twenty that are specifically tell me more. And then we'll get to beamer in that third seven as well. So who did you watch most recently?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, last night I watched j Brown from Penn State. Okay, yeah, I hadn't gotten a chance to look at him. I mentioned no girls talk, boys talk that I feel like safety is something that we have just totally neglected to talk about just because we don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 8: It's I think we don't consider it a need for the Cowboys right like early in the draft. But it is somewhere that I think they could address. But I feel like he's so active. He's an electric player, Like there's an energy to him. He's so willing to help defending the run too, and I love that about I love that about him. They use him in blitzing situations because he can get there. He has the speed and the tenacity. I think that his sideline, the sideline can improve as far as coverage, But coming downhill, I mean's he's disrespectful, disrespectful. I think that I misspoke because I said that I liked JL Skinner. I felt like he kind of was more like a Donald. I see a lot of Donald and this guy and the way he plays and how vicious he plays.
Speaker 4: He's a tone setter in the same.
Speaker 2: I think he had Skinner right well, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just I feel like with this guy, just kind of in comparison to when I when I saw Donovan coming out, I was like, Okay, just God's great downhill, but I didn't know if it's coveragability fantastic. I think Jo has better coveragability than what I thought Donovan had coming out.
Speaker 4: In my opinion.
Speaker 8: But anyway, I feel like he impacts the game. I feel like he impacts the game because he's so willing to be everywhere and it's hard to get him off the field.
Speaker 4: And that's one thing I'm noticing about a lot.
Speaker 8: Of these players that are good. They have this thing where they're like, especially DB's, They're like, I want to play Nickel, I want to be able to play in the box. I want to be able to because they don't want to come off the field. And he's one of those guys. Listening to some of his interviews too, he does not want to come off the field, so he's trying to do as much as he can do.
Speaker 2: He's got that dog in him.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think his angles.
Speaker 8: I think the further away he gets from the line of scrimmage, his angles.
Speaker 4: Can get a little questionable.
Speaker 8: But that's normal, right, I think, no offense, But I feel like those are things that safeties have to come and continue to learn. But one hundred and twenty two tackles and ten picks in two seasons.
Speaker 2: Is nasty. Always around the line.
Speaker 6: He completely nailed him seriously, and I mean, I mean the first line out of I think is a much better down player than he is back. He does his to always want to be around the ball, and he's got a career of being around the ball, and you know, he's aggressive to a faulty, you know, And there's some times where he plays like it's a fire drill where he's just kind of running around all over the place and you're thinking, like is he really seeing what's going on? But then he kind of figures it out and then he gets over to the ball. I think the body control and balance is going to have to improve a little bit at coverage, but.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that's his best suit.
Speaker 6: I think I's right put him down the box, let him tackle, let him like turn people over down there and be the physical player.
Speaker 2: But man, he is. He is a He's one of those.
Speaker 6: Guys that kind of thrives in chaos, is what I put about him as a safety.
Speaker 5: I was a fan of his, but I think we're all coming back to the possibly nervous about him and coverage. Like you could see he can get exposed when he's asked to flip his hips and cover downfield, so he's at his best downhill filling against the run. But for the Cowboys, I do think they seem to always be looking at these safeties, right because DQ, at least while he's been here. And you can always have coaching turnover. We know that, So I don't know that you should always draft for a specific system or coach. But he likes using multiple safeties, and he'll use his safety as a linebacker. And Jaiir Brown is kind of one of those guys that he could fill, you know, in nickel dime packages. He could be essentially a sublimebacker. Yeah, absolutely, because he's best when he's closer to the line of scrimmage. And I did put as well, you know, if you weren't able to resign because I watched him before the Donovan Wilson deal got done, if you couldn't re sign donoh, he's a guy that could be a replacement there. So I agree with you one hundred percent on h Myisha.
Speaker 2: So does the length worry you at all?
Speaker 3: He's five foot eleven even two oh three, And I mean we were talking about JL Skinner Skinner's a different body type in terms of a safety because Jae Skinner's six foot four, two ten.
Speaker 2: So would you put Jay R.
Speaker 3: Brown up there with the Skinners and the Johnson's and the battles that we've kind of mentioned in the top echelon of that safety class or is he in another tier?
Speaker 2: Should kind of stack him?
Speaker 8: I think it me personally, it depends on what you need him to come in and do. I now, and we understand that the big nickel is something that a lot of teams are starting to revert to.
Speaker 4: Just given the fact that I just feel.
Speaker 8: Like, well, I will say the Cowboys luxury that they have with their safeties is not the norm. I don't feel like it's the norm to be like, oh let me put three safeties out there. So for the Cowboys, he would fit. Now, if you want your safety to do more cover stuff, then maybe not. Maybe if it just I think it depends on the system.
Speaker 2: Personally, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: I think he's he's in line with his Skinner for me, like I might have him a little bit a little bit better than Skinner in certain areas.
Speaker 2: Certain areas, Yeah, for me, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, because there's certain strength that I think Skinner has over Brown, but there's certain where I would take Brown over Skinner. I think overall, I might like Brown a little bit more than I like Skinner. So I think he's right in that same top, same conversation. That's a propis top.
Speaker 2: One hundred, Brown eighty two, Skinner eighty eight.
Speaker 6: I think there's I think there's a difference between the two players, and and I'm not a I have Skinner Brown in the same round. Yeah, where, but I would take Brown over Skinner on my board.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because we've been very high on Skinner throughout and that's not pushing Skinner, but that's that shows just how high we are on Dyer Brown and what he brings to the table. Yep, Zach, you got a player.
Speaker 5: So I did watch the Miszoo kid, I watched war He's how about Trade Dean, the safety from Florida. Okay, I've seen split opinions on him. Okay, so Trade Dean's not a guy. He's a Day three pick for me.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Right, He's a guy that you know, maybe maybe they end up a fifth, sixth rounder. I've got a six round grade on him because I think this dude's going to be a special teamer and then he's going to have to end up competing to get on the field as a starting safety. But he's got the football blood lines his cousin Amad Black, which drafted by the Bucks in the fifth round in twenty eleven. He's another guy much like we were just talking about with jayuy Brown. He's constantly around the football. He led the team in tackles. He can cover tight ends. I think he moves really well, looks fluid. He's got a smooth backpedal. I would like to see him break on the football a little bit quicker. He's going to be in position to make plays, but he doesn't quite close fast enough when he gets play recognition.
Speaker 2: He might be a tick late, but he's athletic.
Speaker 5: He's tough, he's willing to hit, can step in and cover the slot and carry receivers downfield. Now, he didn't test great at the combine, but he looks a lot more athletic and fast on tape. He will over pursue, doesn't always finish, so I think special teams he's going to be an immediate starter, but he's probably going to be a backup safety. Initially, and then we'll see how his career develops, if he can end up being a starter. But I like Trayding. I mean he's a guy that also you talk about a safety that's always around the football, he goes and finds it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's one of those guys that, to me, you're right, he doesn't play as fast, but when you look at the testing numbers, he's got elite numbers. When it comes to like three cone drills and stuff like that, he's got twenty five on the bench.
Speaker 2: So he's like verticals D he's got.
Speaker 6: If you have quickness, if you have strength, he's got recognition too. He just doesn't have really good time speed, you know. So that's the thing about him. I think the thing is, you know, the length, the toughness, the movement part of him, I think is pretty good with him.
Speaker 2: And if you're telling me that he's got the ability to the redirection skills and stuff.
Speaker 6: Like that because of the three cones and the shuttles and stuff like that, that's something that a lot of these NFL teams look at. They look at those shuttle numbers, they look at the three If a guy doesn't run fast, they're like well, okay, it's not like he's deficient in all these areas. But I think you got him right where you do in the sixth round. Yeah, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you get to see him at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit. You're not a big fan, No, I'm a fan. I just think he has normal safety stuff.
Speaker 2: Like, well he did nothing to like, did wow you in any way?
Speaker 8: I mean no, I thought I thought he was decent. What I'm saying is is like even his deficiencies to me, I.
Speaker 4: Understand.
Speaker 8: So I'm trying to find the balance and evaluate and like, is this something he can get better at?
Speaker 4: Is this is this? I asked myself the ceiling.
Speaker 8: For a safety and most of his weaknesses besides like the lack of burst that I see him have sometimes, or lack of like aks I have to he has sometimes are normal things to me.
Speaker 4: And like I think we talked about angles, just he's a tackling machine.
Speaker 8: But you ain't gonna make every single one of them. So yeah, no, I like his I like his range for the most part. I like his range.
Speaker 4: And he looks the part, like you said, he looks the part. He looks like a guy. But I don't. I didn't with the testing.
Speaker 8: You think the testing is gonna help make him drop because I feel like what I saw in film was different than when I saw testing.
Speaker 6: Right, I agree, the test, the testing, the testing is going to give him a chance to be drafted, probably earlier than we have him on our boards.
Speaker 2: You know. But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: The thing if he was running a four to six, and then it was also the testing numbers were poor, then you you would probably say he's he's undraftable.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean, well, he ran a four s.
Speaker 3: He went ran a four to seven five, which is not good, not good safety.
Speaker 5: But he looks to me he played faster when I watched him, and they do have him play in covering the slots, and I think that he can cover tight ends. I think for safeties now, when you're looking at him, especially this tight end classes we've talked about it, that's super important. Like if you have a safety that you don't think can come up and cover a tight end, that's gonna be a liability in your defense.
Speaker 4: How can I just that's not a fast time for seek.
Speaker 2: No as bad, not at all terrible. All the rest of his numbers and Brian brought this up. The rest of his numbers are fine.
Speaker 3: Vertical was thirty six and a half, which is the like, that's above average score. You've got ten or ten zero zero four broad jump. You've got a four to two six and four broad is what?
Speaker 2: That was? Decent? Yeah, that's sorry.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of how to say that without having the scouting number on there. But the uh, the numbers outside of the forty were okay. And then he went to his prota and he ran a four to six eight. Yeah, but his ten yard split was worse than it was at the combine, so it didn't really help out his case a whole lot.
Speaker 2: But trading is.
Speaker 3: The curious case of the safety position here. In twenty twenty three, all right, well we come back. We're gonna do some twitter on the twenty including a ton of questions. I've had four or five questions about a fullback. What fullback could be on the board for the Cowboys at some point in the mid rounds. We come back with more of the draft show.
Speaker 11: Hey Cowboys fans, if you're looking for a full time or part time job, check out Liberty Tax, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys. If you've got tax experience and want to help your community with their finances, you're the perfect candidate no tax experience. We also offer in person tax school courses locally. Liberty Tax has seventy nine locations across DFW and twenty three hundred offices nationwide. Learn more about our job opportunities at libertytex dot com, slash hiring, or call your local Liberty Tax office today.
Speaker 10: Craving something flavorful, replace that bloated burrito feeling with Smoothie King's new Powermeal smoothies. With three delicious flavors like Cinema Banana, blueberry, raspberry, and spinach Pineapple. You can fill up on flavor, not calories. Each meal replacement smoothie is packed with twenty grams of protein, seven grams of fiber, and twenty three vitamins and minerals, all under three hundred fifty calories with zero grams of added sugar. So next time you want something flavorful, swap fast food for I'm Powermeal Smoothie order today. I'm the Smoothieking app Smoothie King the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 2: When I played in.
Speaker 9: The NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Laser Care Eye Center, I can see near far in between. Don't fumble your vision any long. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center they.
Speaker 2: Got me back on my game.
Speaker 12: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share it three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller lite and Tim gallon hats while yelling, how about them cowboys?
Speaker 2: You call it Miller Time in Dallas.
Speaker 12: Here's to the cowboys, Here's to the original light beer.
Speaker 2: It's Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly.
Speaker 12: Twenty twenty one, Miller Brewing Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot com Draft show.
Speaker 2: Whether you're relaxing on a boat or hiking on a trail. Both of those sound nice.
Speaker 3: Make sure you complete your look for any outdoor activity with Cowboys Columbia gear score tested tough apparoal at your local pro shopper. Log onto Dallas Cowboys dot Com a fanatics experience.
Speaker 2: See you out there, crawfish and that stuff too. Hey, there you go, crawfish. Nice, see you out there, there you go. Yeah, we'll see you out there. Those tight ends April thirty first or whatever it is. Huh, how do you feel abou those tight ends? Man, don't know. Washington is offa's board done out of the out of the question.
Speaker 8: I was saying that that might also, that might be a deterrent for some of these I hear you.
Speaker 4: Some people some cod.
Speaker 2: I wish there was I wish, But I also don't wish there was a.
Speaker 3: Mic that was hot in like in the break, just to see the conversation. That's what I'm saying. I don't wish because we would not have jobs. But if we had job, I mean, if we were able to keep our jobs and have that behind the scenes content, I think it'd be great, be awesome. All right, stop stop talking, shut your mouth, all right.
Speaker 2: We had a ton of questions on some Twitter. So that's okay. We'll get back after it next week. You're good, You're good.
Speaker 3: We had a ton of questions on Twitter on the twenty with the fullback position, and there was one that specifically has peaked the interest of Cowboys Nation. His name is Hunter lip Key from North Dakota State. That's how you say it, Hunter lip Key. But he's from the Bison, North Dakota State. Decent player. Has anybody watched him? Anybody think about how he could fit into this mold because Mike McCarthy has been known to love himself some fullbacks, and this is one that some people have as high as the fourth or fifth round.
Speaker 4: What I've heard about him, I have not watched him myself yet.
Speaker 5: I probably saw a little bit of him when I was watching Cody malk Yeah, okay, but you.
Speaker 6: Know what, to me, it's funny that you say this about the fullback and we should probably may I know me, I should probably do this.
Speaker 2: I have not seen this guy play no.
Speaker 6: Either, and and to me, it's it's one of those things where here I am, I'm preaching about your missing guys or whatever, and I don't know, I don't He uses a fullback, right, he ain't picking a full back in the fourth round.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I just don't see that. Are you drafting a full back or is that a UFA guy? Well?
Speaker 6: Right, it might be a thing where you're looking like you say, you're looking at trades and stuff in the sixth and seventh round. And I'm not trying to make excuses why I didn't see the guy. But right now I'm sitting there trying to figure out you know, twenty two running backs probably need to figure out one full back.
Speaker 2: I can probably need to do one or two kickers.
Speaker 5: Too, Brian, you know this better than us. When's the last time the Cowboys selected a full back?
Speaker 2: Right? I don't know if they I don't think they have to. Maybe like Robert Newhouse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're trying to cram and get I'm trying to get to a minimum of two. You need to look at the I'll look at Hunter Lipkey tonight.
Speaker 2: You need Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Here's here's my scouting report that I had on him for the draft magazine because I liked him at the Combine or not the Combine.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, the Senior Bowl and the Senior Bowl tape that he was at the Senior Bowl and Mobile. He was pretty impressive. I said.
Speaker 3: He moves exceptionally well without the ball in his hands, takes the right angles to make a block in space, and he runs crisp routes and keeps his footwork contained as he gets moving.
Speaker 2: Can nearly play every position behind the line of scrimmage, except for quarterback, of course.
Speaker 3: But I said, when he has the ball in his hands, there's just no yards after the catch factor whatsoever. He'll labor into defenders instead of trying to avoid them. He also gets pushed off the line of scrimmage by bigger defenders when he tries to set a block whenever he doesn't have momentum behind him.
Speaker 2: So whenever he's just at the line of scrimmage, he's coming up.
Speaker 3: He needs a head of steam to really latch onto a defender and let him ride backwards. Said not not a tight end contingency. He runs the routes, He's able to create a little bit of separation, but as soon as he catches the ball like he's sitting duck, that's about.
Speaker 8: It, which makes me sad because I actually did. I glanced at him and I said, lateral quickness question mark so that's kind of him.
Speaker 2: It's not good, I know.
Speaker 8: And then injury bug I said, hurt guy a couple.
Speaker 4: I think he's had a surgery, he had.
Speaker 3: A left shoulder, he missed the final five games of this past year, and he had some sort of undisclosed injury in twenty twenty through the COVID year.
Speaker 8: And the only thing and it really like Kyle, you made some good points about him, just kind of what you saw from him. When you guys go back and see, I'm sure you will talk about it. But when the only reason I would take a fullback in like the fourth or something, you looking at a use check. Everybody and their mama, Yeah, wants to find the next Kyle use check. And with the lack of lateral quickness, it kind of takes that away. I don't think that use check is just but the fact that you can use him in so many different ways and an open space, not just coming downhill all the time. It's not always just him coming downhill. So I feel like that lessens his his I don't like the s well, I don't like the stock word, but his draft stock. With the fact that there's not use check like qualities all the way around it. If I'm gonna take if I'm gonna draft a fullback in this game, he gotta have got to.
Speaker 2: Have some of that.
Speaker 5: I want a freak athlete that can be a mismatch for you. They can get involved in the passing game. He's also going to be a good blocker. I mean, I I like the question because I think it's challenging. It's challenging me to be more like, all right, let me pay more attention to the fullback position, because that's one that I think we kind of gloss over.
Speaker 2: When I know I do. I do every time. I do every time. I wasn't even having him on there.
Speaker 6: Now I do it every time because to me, like I said, you get affected by there's other ways to.
Speaker 2: Get around not I'm sure.
Speaker 6: If somebody said, hey, you've seen this kid from North Dakota State at the fullback, that's you know, like, oh no I haven't. Oh well you need to watch him that kind of thing. There you go, you know, and I I do. I mean I feel like that somebody could take it. I will say this, if he has a history of shoulder problems and he's a fullback, you're out. You're not going to be not going to be considered very high because that to me, I mean, that's that's your whole that's your livelihood.
Speaker 2: You were going to be a battering ram at the point of attack. And if you're dealing with shoulder and.
Speaker 6: Neck issues as a fullback, that's not gonna get you on many, many, many drafts.
Speaker 5: I think some of the other fullbacks that we we'd look at, Javon Williams junior Southern Illinois is a senior Ioways got a kid, Monte Pottobomb that could be under consideration. But again, I don't know if these guys are gonna get drafted. They might be undrafted for rookie free agents that the Cowboys could end up bringing in. And maybe Lipkey is a guy that does. But I'll watch him tonight. I'll take a look at lip Key.
Speaker 3: I've heard Jack's Deneen was kind of impressive from Kansas State. That's another fullback that could kind of be in that that realm. All of these guys are probably undrafted free agents.
Speaker 2: Except for lip Key. I think he's the only draft that's take a look out. And Cowboys Twitter has been on them.
Speaker 3: They've they've sent multiple questions about lip key because you look at John.
Speaker 5: Coon who is so good in Green Bay with Mike McCarthy. So I can see McCarthy maybe wanting to get a full back and one that he likes a lot.
Speaker 4: And trust yeah, no more, no more tight ends.
Speaker 5: As no more you know, the h Ben McGovern package, the whole package.
Speaker 8: Can we see that completely go with I We'll say that sometimes it was it was successful when there was a tight end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but maybe team switched to doing something like that. But that's kind of actually gotta make you kind of sad because growing up, fullback was a thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, man, Well there was.
Speaker 4: A part, there was a part of it.
Speaker 8: There was a point in football that fullback was like if you didn't have one, it was looked at it as a weak point in.
Speaker 4: Your own game. And so now that the games transition to.
Speaker 6: What's so spread right, Well, this this organization has a great history of fullbacks.
Speaker 2: I went all the way back to Robert Newhouse in the seventies.
Speaker 6: You know, Darryl Johnston, you know what he's done through his the Super Bowl runs and stuff like that. So you know, absolutely, it's a it's a it's a depending on how your scheme is and how you run the ball.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know that's that could be a that could be a big reason why you have success doing it all.
Speaker 3: Right, next Twitter on the twenty question, tell me more about Jackson player, defensive tackle out of Baylor. Has anybody seen Jackson player? If you haven't, well we can move on to the next name. Anybody seen him? You got him? You're a Baylor guy. I am a Baylor guy. But if you got him, go don't have him. He actually went to my high school. I will tell you he's still Waco Midway grad. I watched a lot of uh sika, yeah from from Baylor. I watched a lot of him, and I just kind of caught a glimpse of Jackson player. I don't know a ton about him, even though he did go to my high school. Uh what about Kayu Blue Kelly from Stanford. Now now we're cooking, Now you're cooking. Now we're cooking. Uh yeah, this is uh yeah.
Speaker 6: Stanford was not very good uh at football this year, and that was that was one of the reasons why my buddy Dave Shaw uh resigned. So but he you know, they do they every once in a while. Stanford will put in a They do have a great history of being able to come up with these guys that that are. You know, like with with Shaw, they were super super, super tough. I'm trying to get to my notes. Here may our our system here at the Cowboys, we're having our internet crusty over ky Do you have you seen this player what's the name Kyu Blue?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kye Blue Kelly. Yeah at the corner. Yeah, good player.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Now him versus Jordan Addison, I've got him right here, then go for it, go for it. Then I'll fill in the Yeah.
Speaker 6: He's a thin looking player on tape and super competitive in the way he plays. Uh, but he'll line up on both sides of the field. He's comfortable playing at depth or playing up tight. You can he can run with this guy. He has really good hand use and skill to maintain his position while moving. I thought he did a really nice job of reading the route as it developed. He tracks the ball well enough, has a feel for how to high point or play in the air with his or he could play with his off hand.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know there were times where he was denying the football. Uh.
Speaker 6: It's the thing that he showed the ability that he could be a physical tackler and he's more willing to throw his body around to bring a ball carrier down. But sometimes he doesn't wrap up. It's just like throwing, you know, throwing his body in there.
Speaker 2: Uh he did. He did try and tackle.
Speaker 6: You watch him against Jordan Addison from USC and Addison did break free from him for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: But that was it.
Speaker 6: I thought he had a smooth, relaxed pedal playing off. He can really come out of his break when driving. Type of player that can carry his man all of a field. He does compete, and yeah, I think that's the thing. That's probably his best trade of base six one one ninety one two. So there's a that's the redeeming quality about him as well.
Speaker 5: Not he had really good closing speed to make plays against screens and hot routes. You can tell opposing offenses showed a lot of respect to him.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to challenge him a lot.
Speaker 5: Now he will get blocked, but he's competing like he's constantly fighting back. He'll get shoved, he's gonna shove right back. He's got some dog in him at corner, which I'm.
Speaker 2: Always looking for.
Speaker 5: I think he can improve as a tackler. You mentioned he got beat down field against Addison. I saw that as well. He did give up some plays. I think he lacks elite speed for the position. I think he's at his best when he can get physical with the receiver.
Speaker 2: He stays in phase a little bit better.
Speaker 5: He'll give up some inside leverage, so he can be susceptible to some inbreaking routes, but he doesn't get fooled by a lot of jukes and dance moves at the line of scrimmage. He's got clean feet off the line. As one of the notes that I put. I think he's anyway, he's probably a third round range for me. Is Kyu Blue Kelly. If you end up not taking a corner, you know day one and then you're looking at day two if you want to go tight end in the second round where we think there's going to be a run or another position, Kyu Blue Kelly is a good corner and take in round three.
Speaker 2: I'd be very happy with him.
Speaker 6: He now got one hundred and forty two guys I've stacked, and so he's number ninety nine on my board, so he's right inside the top one hundred for.
Speaker 2: Me right inside there, Kyu Blue Kelly to keep it. And the name's great. It is a great name. What about City?
Speaker 3: So, speaking of a great name, City so offensive guard from Eastern Michigan. Peter wanted to know a little bit more about that Pete Small School offensive guard. I think I got this guy done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could talk about him if feeling.
Speaker 2: I have not seen him. So I got two guys that I need to watch the night. That's a part of the reason. Like I just want to throw names out. Then we got hopefully you throw names out that we've seen. Sorry, I'm trying City. So what you got? Brian?
Speaker 6: He was the starter at left guard for the Eastern Michigan e He's a massive man.
Speaker 2: He tested very well.
Speaker 6: At the combine, and the numbers don't always translate into the film study. I would not call him a fluid mover, but he's powerful. He can get movement when he comes off the ball. His mass is difficult for opponents to deal with. Keeps the feet moving at contact in the running game adequate to find the targets on those short pools.
Speaker 2: He uses that full extension. He'll roll his hips to set his anchor. When he's bull rushed.
Speaker 6: His punch is generally accurate and well timed. He pops into a straight leg attack sometimes off the snap. You got to be worried about him being a little tall, but you know, there's some angle issues that he has and he's you know, the body control for the extension of the block could be a little bit of a problem for him. So, you know, he played a ton of snaps at Eastern Michigan. He was He's a Canadian kid, so he's gonna need I think he's going to need some serious technique work.
Speaker 2: But size makes him worth the shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I also say he said he played a lot of snaps. I had that he's durable. He's durable, like the guy play. He played a lot while he was there. He didn't have a lot of injuries.
Speaker 8: And then you mentioned the guard slash tackle flex with him, which is important as well. I felt like he was really stout at the point of attack. Like you were talking about his vicious his punch is it's pretty vicious, but I also felt like I'm seeing what else here. Oh, I didn't like that he oversets.
Speaker 4: He sets Okay, he.
Speaker 6: Has to almost compensate because he's probably when you overset. You're probably a little bit worried about speed or him having to deal with.
Speaker 8: That's more because to me of his feet, more because of his feet, not his hands. So again things he can work on. Him and John Gains U.
Speaker 9: C l A.
Speaker 4: I see a lot of similarities in their play.
Speaker 8: They both, if I'm not mistake, and test it pretty well at the combine. So those are two gentlemen that I wanted to bring up today anyway because they were a little farther down the guard depth chart. But I know that there's a possibility that we maybe are looking.
Speaker 3: At that tell me a little bit about Gains because if the Cowboys don't go guard early, that could be a big time pick up in the middle rounds for sure.
Speaker 4: On let me get onim.
Speaker 6: I got him if you want to, all right, John Gains at UCLA, he's the left guard for the Bruins. He appears to be much larger and thicker on tape than his three to ozho three is what he weighs. He tested as the best guard at the combine, but again he doesn't really play as well as he tested their times where he's off balance, he struggles to keep his feet the body control and balance could be a little bit all over the place with this guy. He tends to struggle on the second level when he's asked to get in those positions. He does have some stoutness as a pass protector, but the more that he has to move, the more trouble he has staying connected with the rusher.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: He looked like a highly intelligent player and assignment sound type of a guy. He started at center, at guard, at tackle, you know, so you kind of like him for the flexibility.
Speaker 2: I feel like he could.
Speaker 6: Find the targets and stuff like that, But again it's that sustain with him hitting those landmarks and things like that. His I think that, you know, you watch him, he tends to slide off opponents in the running.
Speaker 2: Game for you know, for the way that he blocks. So that's kind of what I think about John.
Speaker 6: I like the fact that he could play all three spots that position flex hest. He's got some, but like I said, there's a little bit of that where the technique.
Speaker 2: Stuff is going to be a little bit of an issue for him.
Speaker 8: It's so crazy that you mentioned that he tested better than any guard at the combine, and I.
Speaker 4: Feel like.
Speaker 8: He's he showed like speed and athleticism and all this stuff, but like you said, like it isn't something that just translates. It translates, but it doesn't because you need more power.
Speaker 4: And I don't think that he plays I know that's your thing.
Speaker 8: I don't think he plays with as much power as City, so especially in the run game now, I think his past past game sets are far better. And I feel like in a zone scheme he might work, but his.
Speaker 4: Hands are low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his hands aren't good.
Speaker 8: His hands are low a lot, and that's why he's late with his punch a lot of the time.
Speaker 4: And I didn't like that. I didn't like that at all.
Speaker 8: So yeah, those are like like we were talking about, those are two dudes. Though that I was like, maybe with some coaching and some you know some, I feel like there's more.
Speaker 4: There's more upside with City.
Speaker 2: I've got I've got both of them in the fifth.
Speaker 6: I have gains over the top of so okay, you think, so okay, and I got me in the fifth and but they both fall, they're both likely fall. Well, they'll be in the one fifty range for me when I'm starting to stack them.
Speaker 2: I don't have them yet. In my in my one fifty mixed process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but the thing about because say I'm worried about having to add a full back or some sure bs like that.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, let's go all that.
Speaker 6: You know, now you get to a certain point you're like, Okay, I'm not going to look at a player that's going to be.
Speaker 2: In the top one fifty. I just don't feel like that.
Speaker 6: I just don't feel like So I've got to a point where got him stack but fifth round games, sal that's on of how it got him right there.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got another guy you're speaking of upside but also still kind of a bit of a risky pick just because of some of his past Zach Evans running back from Ole Miss. And I know Zach knows this guy because well, you and I used to cover him in the studio back when he was playing high school ball in Texas. But he went to Ole Miss, started at CCU, was there for a couple of seasons, transferred to ole Miss, thinking that was his best shot to get to the NFL. Tell me more about Zach Evans and what he brings to the football field.
Speaker 5: It's kind of mean, stiff, army hits the whole. I mean with with vengeance. There's not a lot of wasted motion with him. He doesn't dance around. He's got impressive acceleration in the open field. I think he fits best in an outside zone scheme. I think he'd work really well in San Francisco or in Miami. You know that that kind of system where we've seen like a Raheem Mostert or North Texas Owe Jeff Wilson have success. He's a good safety net out of the backfield. You don't see a lot of route combination from him like you would a Kenny McIntosh Georgia, but he's safe. You can check it down to him in the in the flats. You rarely see him get knocked backwards. He plays behind his pads. He lowers his shoulder to finish runs, much like like we've seen here with Ezekiel Elliott over his career. Sometimes would like to see him make the first guy miss more, but he's overall a very solid runner runner. He did have a fumble when I watched him against Troy where he breaks a tackle in the backfield and another defender knocks the ball out from the backside. So he might need to improve you know, the possession and ball security a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I mean Zach Evans is a heck of a player.
Speaker 5: You see the talent, but you do need to make sure he checks off all the background and personality traits that you want, because that's been something that's carried on. He's played three different teams in college and that was an issue for him. He got benched in the state championship game when he was in high school.
Speaker 6: This guy's player one oh one on my board, and I'll say this about him. He is not afraid to lower that shoulder and deliver a below. He was always plowing for extra yards. He's got some run where he was able to grab the edge, but I think he's kind of a little bit more of an inside runner and he locates the hole, makes the cut. He runs with some power. He could be a hard guy to bring down. I felt like he had a little bit more power than he did speed. You saw some long runs, but not game breaking type runs. I just don't think he has that type of speed. But the balance was really good. There's a snap or two where he was able to jump over a defender. He had some carries where he breaks tackles in the open field. I did not see.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I was maybe the games.
Speaker 6: I was looking at Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky catching the football and stuff like that. You guys would have to help me on that one, but that I noticed. But when the ball did come his way, he was able to make the catches.
Speaker 2: So you know, he's impressive with the bulk and the power. He's a type of back that just kind of wears you down with the way that he runs. He absolutely does. He gets better as the game goes on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said he was decisive.
Speaker 8: Again, don't know if those are the right worst to use, but he's a decisive, decisive runner.
Speaker 4: He sees it. He's gonna go. He's gonna take some risks, he's gonna take some chances.
Speaker 8: He's gonna try to make he's he's and like you said, he's not gonna try to make a lot of guys miss.
Speaker 4: He's decisive. He's like, no, this is it for me. I'm going to I'm running the exactly absolutely. And one thing that I also to how did y'a feel about him in past?
Speaker 5: Bro when he wants to, I think you can do it. There's just times. I think he makes some business.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 8: Yeah's starting to make now Like it's it's super cliche, but I'm starting to make a bigger deal out of pass pro in this league now with back because even more than actually I want to say two three years ago, Like it matters because of how much the balls being passed around.
Speaker 2: Like you're well for your ability to stay on the field too. Yeah, you're looking for a three down back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, with the offensive line play, you need a guy that's gonna And that's one of the things that I kind of was like a ship strip. And then, like you said, the off the field stuff is things that you want to check out on. But he was a thirty visit if he was a guy that reportedly rather a thirty visit, So maybe the Cowboys are looking at maybe taking a chance on the dude or just seeing what he got because he is that powerful dip your shoulder, I'm gonna make you pay runner, and I that's something that maybe you're lacking right now.
Speaker 3: And you do your background work and you kind of see what type of guy he is, bring him in, have him one on one, and kind of have do your due diligence, and that's what that scouting department across the way has been very good at over the last couple of years. All Right, when we come back, it's Beemer's choice. We're gonna have him give us some tell me more. We're gonna get to some more prospects. We've already hit ten so far in this show. It's deep dives into prospects here on the Draft Show.
Speaker 2: When we come back right after this, I'm.
Speaker 7: Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rook and anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 14: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Nautilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 12: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller Lite and Tim Gallon hats while yelling how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 2: You call it Miller Time in Dallas.
Speaker 12: Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer. It's Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty one. Miller Brewing Company, fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 15: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgay party in Texas tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 1: Today is the Dallascowboys dot com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Back. You're on the Draft show where you can now overcome.
Speaker 3: Your taxiety today with Liberty Tax, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Book at appointment today at Liberty Tax dot com. Slash Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Brian brought us, Zach Wilchuck Aisham Morrison, I'm Kyle Yeomans, and we've got Chris Beam in the back who has done an absolutely fantastic job with.
Speaker 2: His team of let's say b roll scouts. How about we put it that way, They're b roll Scouts, The Beam Roll, the Beam Roll Beam. I like that, the Beam Roll.
Speaker 3: He's put together hundreds and I mean hundreds of highlight tapes over the last couple of weeks. So over these last couple of minutes of the show, we're gonna have him choose to tell me more about these specific players. And I believe, Beamer, You're gonna start with one that has a connection inside the building.
Speaker 13: Right I am, because I'm gonna start with duce Vaughan And here's his burell, his bureau.
Speaker 2: Running back from Kansas State. Gosh, he's amazing. You like, you like, what what do you do with duce Von?
Speaker 13: Okay, so small, you're forty times you're in a four or five seven or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yep, but it seems like he makes plays all over the field. Oh he does. What do you do with duce Von? See here's the issue with Deuce.
Speaker 5: We were just talking about the pass blocking, right, Duz Fawn's not gonna give you that. But Duce Vaughn is just a playmaker. I mean he can you talk about a guy who can make plays. He would have been your prototypical I think third down back and several years ago where you were talking about a guy who can make plays out of the backfield.
Speaker 2: He can catch it. I mean, he's capable of running.
Speaker 5: Routes from the slot. You see him do that at Kansas at Kansas State. He's elusive. He carried a massive workload in college. So despite the size, to me, durability is not a question. But he's just you blink and oh my gosh, I mean his start stop quickness just jumps off the charts, low center of gravity obviously because he's smaller, so he's difficult to see. I think there's sometimes maybe he'll try and break a run outside, or he'll take angles where you're thinking, no, no, just cut that up there instead, and he leaves some yards on the field. But you watch Duzvaughan, he might be one of the most exciting players to study in the entire draft clots. It's the size that's gonna knock him. And then you mentioned Aesha the pass blocking ability. I don't think he's got that.
Speaker 8: The only thing that's to me that would knock him is the size. Yeah, like right, I mean when you look at the player and with the player is capable of the receiving, capability to speed the burst. He's a former soccer player, so he's a guy that has a lot of durability and awareness and a vision awareness intelligence, and he's an intelligent guy and even to a point to where he avoids similar to to Zeke, how Zeke didn't like, he avoids a lot of the low hits that people try to take on him because he's just aware of where he is on the field.
Speaker 4: And so I that to me, the only thing that's gonna.
Speaker 8: Limit limit him, or people will be nervous about is his size and the durability because of the size or whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think you can basically make great points about him as a player. I think you have to have a plan for if you draft him. You have to have a plan of when you watch on tape, the offensive coordinators and the running back coaches and those guys, they're like, Listen, he could fit into this package.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could watch Kansas State tape and figure out ways to use him. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: And I love his toughness. I love how elusive he is. I think there's an advantage to him being short. Actually, when you do talk about him running behind bigger NFL offensive line, see and it's hard to see, and all of a sudden he squirts out the other side. It's already a six yard game. The guy catches the ball. Well, he's super tough, comes from a football family, you know. I mean, there's so many positive things. Listen, Let's not act like he's not the only short productive player in this draft. No, all we've done is watch short productive players. Flowers Dell, you know this guy right here. I mean that's that's what you have to do. You have to have a vision and an idea for what you want to do with this kid. And he plays big time football and has been productive doing it.
Speaker 5: And we talked about yesterday the returning ability. Yeah, dou Sponzie, I that can give you that if you want him to be a kick and a punt returner. I believe he could be very successful with that.
Speaker 8: And also you mentioned, I mean super important for running back. His ball security is top nine impressing, it's top notch. He's talked about how much he how much work he's put into it, and just to add that to the trifecta of the things he does.
Speaker 3: Well, Yeah, he's in the zero percentile in height and arm length, he's in the one percentile in weight, and he's in the thirty and thirty two percentile in bench press and broad jumps, and I draft the heck out of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you look at the tape, and the tape is magnificent.
Speaker 6: Figured out. These coaches make millions of dollars. You know, don't tell me the kid can't play. I watched him play at Kansas State and he could play, and so you know, kind of figured out. But then again, you know, Bill Parcells is in my ear going you draft an exception. You have a team full of exceptions. I think this is a good exception to have.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 6: I would I would absolutely like to have this exception two more points.
Speaker 3: And this backs up the durability that you guys are talking about, and Zach brought it up initially two hundred and thirty five carries in twenty one. He followed that up with two hundred and ninety three carries in twenty twenty two. That's nearly three hundred carries in a collegiate football season.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: How much of a durable running back he is and how much they utilized him at Kansas State led the Big Twelve in all purpose yards in twenty one, and he led the FBS in all purpose yards in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: He can play go get you a guy. What's next on our list? Beamer?
Speaker 13: My second player is a Division Division two Player of the Year, which is Caleb Murphy.
Speaker 6: Oh, this is uh fairst State, right, Fairest State, first.
Speaker 2: State, Farris State.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, you're going about bulldogs, right, Yeah, You're about to see some pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Uh, this guy was.
Speaker 6: He set a record for sacks in that division. And what's interesting about this cat. He was two hundred and fifty four pounds at the combine and on his pro day he weighed two hundred and sixty three pounds, is what he did. And you could see right there when you're watching, if you're able to the highlights of him, he has the ability to get around blockers and get around him quickly and kind of leaves them in their dust. In the way he plays. He's a really really good finisher around the ball. You know, you could see the ability to chase there's the dip and then now get to the quarterback balls on the ground. You know, if he has a little bit of a weakness, they kind of talk about his playing strength is what they do.
Speaker 2: So to me, I would be a little bit mindful about that.
Speaker 6: You know, let's see if he's going to able to get around some of these NFL.
Speaker 2: We'll be all watching preseason games.
Speaker 6: It'll be in the fourth quarter and all of a sudden, this kid will come flying because the tackles are not very good and maybe that's where he has an effect. But I kind of feel like the fact that he went from two fifty four to two sixty three. He feels like he needs to get a little bit bigger for the position, but the numbers are surely there for him.
Speaker 3: So what do they always say about these Division two Division three prospects?
Speaker 2: They better look like a man amongst boys. Well, they better walk on water, something I always did. That's another one too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then you know, but this guy, like I said, he's been to a couple of different schools, Grand Valley Date and now with Fair State, and you know he dealt with the COVID thing and the pandemic can when they played that in that division of football, they just totally canceled the season.
Speaker 2: So he lost that right there. But you know, you could see right here.
Speaker 6: I mean he he is a very very productive player, There's no question about that. You know, he's again it's going to be about figuring out, you know, developing some pass rush moves and and finding a way to use his link and that quickness that he has to be able to finish like he did at this level.
Speaker 3: He was able to finish those former accountants off pretty yeah, significantly against the Colorado School of.
Speaker 8: Mines out there to talk about him that bad because I think he played against Cody Milkol a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 8: We'll talk about in the draft.
Speaker 5: Six fumble recoveries last year and then he had four recoveries as a junior.
Speaker 2: I mean he is always around the football. Keep an eye on Caleb Murphy. There's a name that you didn't think you would hear in the draft process. How about that one more Beamer? We got time or one more before you? I think you will actually kick us off the air. Oh we got all day this? Oh let's go, all right, we got a couple more.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, you got you got guys that have to do a radio showing afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonta give you.
Speaker 13: The only reason I'm going to do this guy is because every time he catches a testdown, he always tells the dB that he's too small. So this is gonna be Grant Dubas from Charlotte Wide Receiver.
Speaker 3: Okay, Grant Dubo's from Charlotte All Conference USA. Couple different times, I like what he brings to the table. I'm trying to pull up my notes on him.
Speaker 2: Hold up, I'm looking again. I've got I've got computer slowness of myself. He's a boy.
Speaker 5: I got to see him actually in person against North Texas a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: He makes some plays down the field. He kind of feasted.
Speaker 5: Now, Jalen Darden was an absolute star in the game as well. But I mean, he's a guy that just makes a ton of plays down the.
Speaker 2: Field, testdown, catch with watch, he just throws up little boy.
Speaker 6: It minds me a little bit of what Jalen Tolbert did with at South Alabama last year. He was always kind of talking about, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Here's another one. Watched this.
Speaker 13: He's gonna look at this guy and go, yeah, buddy, yeah, Well he's gonna celebrate too on you.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, like you say when you watch the highlights of him playing here, the guy has got he's got the size.
Speaker 2: He clearly has the size.
Speaker 6: And you know, and and that's something that you know in this draft we talk about that.
Speaker 2: How many bring it up again, how many small.
Speaker 6: Wide receivers the tall wide receivers we talk We don't talk nearly enough about uh mingos and guys like that. A guy at Tennessee uh that plays opposite Chillman. You know, we're not talking about guys that have that that size and that length and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Great job right there at justin to a ball thrown over his head.
Speaker 5: He always catches it and you're too small.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yellow crazy.
Speaker 2: That's what jumped off the page. But that's but that.
Speaker 6: If you're looking for, like you say, this is where you start to find where are these where are the guys? If you're one of those teams, it's looking for a receiver with length and productivity and the ability to adjust.
Speaker 2: You know, this is the type of guy.
Speaker 6: That that you know, people will go and work on and say, okay, we'll get you know, why are we looking at all these short guys?
Speaker 2: Well here, okay, well let me give you a tall guy. You know.
Speaker 6: Here's here's a guy that actually has some really some good production for you.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's a topic of conversation next week because we have talked about some of these smaller receivers and how much it is a change in philosophy. What about the guys we're not talking about that or maybe not as technically sound as some of these smaller white outs. Yeah, but they are the size of advances to have the size advantage to their to their game.
Speaker 4: That's just crazy, how many how much things have changed.
Speaker 8: It's true, I felt like at one point in time, if you didn't have a fifty to fifty ball guy on your in your receiving core, you were you were wrong, right, And.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe that's still the case. But it's just it's just crazy to think that this is not what you're looking.
Speaker 2: For, the true possession type of receiver.
Speaker 8: Possession receiver fifty to fifty, you know, adjust to the ball like that's you want that. But you may have one of those guys in your receiving corps were in that multiple.
Speaker 4: Now you need speed, got to have to get that speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that team speed is huge. We've seen that as an emphasis lately. All Right, that is it for us today on the Draft show.
Speaker 2: You got to look at fullbacks tonight. I got to look at some fullbacks.
Speaker 3: Hunter lib Key out of North Dakota State, maybe uh Caleb Murphy a rusher from Farris State as well. But we've got a couple to keep an eye on. Got through fourteen prospects today. Everybody that's pretty good. Let's go and deep dies on all of them too. By the way, Chris in the middle of that fullback segment told us the last time the Cowboys drafted a fullback Sean Chappis twenty eleven, seventh round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George Japhis, that was the last time. Some thin too long ago. I mean that's twelve years ago now, but still not too bad. Sean Chappis, Sean Chappish.
Speaker 6: There you go, probably teaching pee somewhere, Bryant.
Speaker 3: We have three more ship pew, three more shows until drafted.
Speaker 2: That's it. Three shows and we've got some surprises in every one of the shows. We're gonna have some fun. Oh these next three shows.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a lot of fun the next couple weeks. But we are closing in two weeks away today from the NFL fail Draft for Chris Beam and his beamroll for Brian brought us at Weldschuck, I Usha Morrison, I'm Kyle Yoma saying so long. We'll see you next week on the Draft Show presented by Miller Life.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.