Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producer Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from Biggie Smalls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons, to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, But being remembered by a casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. Maybe happiness isn't.
Speaker 2: What you believe, but who you believe.
Speaker 1: Phoebe walker Bridge, I want to talk about happiness being the central location of happiness is inside of you.
Speaker 2: It's not in an air men's bag, it's not in.
Speaker 1: A car, it's not in a house, it's not in any thing because those things are temporary and those things as I watch my eleven year old granddaughter get something new and then ten minutes later, it's like it never existed. We have to find happiness within ourselves first. It's just like they say on the airplane, you have to put your oxygen on before you can assist someone else. If you don't know what happiness is for you, then you're going to spend a great deal of time chasing it through people, through things, through circumstances. And that is not the journey to happiness. The journey to happiness is knowing that inside you you're enough. There's no one out here that can be you look like you nothing, and your uniqueness is your greatness and it is a contribution to the world.
Speaker 2: Whatever you do.
Speaker 1: You are a contribution to the world, and you have purpose to live in it. Today I will understand and accept my purpose and live it through happiness. Before we get started, I'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the Black Box. I'll be co hosting with the great Joe Morton. We'll be on Crackle Network real soon. I'll keep you posted. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore.
Speaker 2: You have a double blessing. We have heart too.
Speaker 1: You know her, you know her, award winning actress, writer, producer, overall, just great spiritual being. Ladies and gentlemen, Please put your hands together for Yvette.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: Tracy, Hi, everybody. It's so good to be back here with you again. Thank you for having me back, and thank you for that wonderful introduction.
Speaker 1: It is true, you know I told you of part one, my favorite actress in the whole wide world. Never ever, there's just certain people who are embedded in my brain. Like when I think of you, I think of Ken Brockington, I think of Rosalind Coleman, I think of just so many actresses that, oh, y'all just move my soul when I saw you, so Yvette Gangne embedded you, guys, I've known her at least twenty five years writing.
Speaker 4: That at least something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, but Eve is much younger than me, much I am an elder in her world.
Speaker 2: I am an elder, so.
Speaker 4: But we look exactly the same.
Speaker 3: That's when I first met you, Ronny aj but a number, you know what I mean. It is real, it's real. You keep reinventing yourself. So that's keeping the youth, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So that's what's up.
Speaker 1: And then you get a granddaughter and you just stin't have any choice.
Speaker 2: So you know, at eleven, they fourt you. But it's okay. I'm learning a lot.
Speaker 4: That's a blessing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I say, you know, being a grandmother to me is like a do over. And it's like in a way that certain things that I saw worked with Radiance and Miles I incorporate with Sorayah.
Speaker 2: For instance.
Speaker 1: This is a sidebar, you guys, but this, this is how crazy I am and always happened.
Speaker 2: I taught my children through songs.
Speaker 1: Songs were very important to me when I was growing up in the late sixties and the seventies, so Earth, Wind and Fire. I would say to my daughter, keep your head to the sky. We are mighty people. And I would say the words to the songs. So when I was taking Radiance to Howard Hu, I had Miles in the back seat, in his car seat because they're twelve years apart, right, And one of the songs I used to em bet in Radiance's head was they smile in your face all the time. They want to take your place, the backstabbers.
Speaker 2: Right. So we're driving and the radio.
Speaker 1: Dun dun dun, dun, dun, dun dun dun dun.
Speaker 2: Du dun dun what they do?
Speaker 1: And Radiance looked at me and said, Mommy, you taught me from songs.
Speaker 3: So those are the poets and the philosophers and you know, and so of our time. And yeah, they used to be and yes, absolutely the.
Speaker 1: Messages Isley Brothers, your positive motivating force within my light?
Speaker 4: What wow? Yes.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying like, and so I've learned to just sort of, you know, crop some of those words and adjust them for Soriah so that she doesn't tell her mother I'm doing the same thing with her.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she's probably doing some of that, because that's that's a good that's.
Speaker 4: A good way to learn and a good way to teach.
Speaker 1: I mean, just words, man, and I just want a good segue here talking about words.
Speaker 2: When I was reading your rereading your bio after part one. I was like, you know, you guys, in film and TV.
Speaker 1: They break the scripts down to one eighths, right, and so I really just did one eighth of your bio.
Speaker 4: Okay, And that's why we called it.
Speaker 1: That's why we haven't part to you guys, because that's gratefully. We'll get to two eighths today because she has a bio for you, okay. So I want to start the evet. I want to start with Kidney and your London experience because I always encourage actors to go outside of America to shoot. When I was in Amsterdam, Tim Roth and Octavia Butler, I mean Octavia Spencer, they had a film posters everywhere, but when I came back to New York, they didn't even know about the film. So just really and you know, I didn't get a chance to see it, but it looked like a really solid story.
Speaker 2: So but just encouraging that experience.
Speaker 4: What was that like, you know, for you it was.
Speaker 3: One of the best experiences of my theatrical career to go over to London and having admired so many of the British actors and television programs and seeing them on stage.
Speaker 4: And in film and on TV.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my goodness, I'm going to the mecca of theater in a lot of ways, because those actors are so well trained and get a chance to really practice the crack a lot, right, And how they transitioned from from theater to TV and film is a lesson is to be studied, you know, to see them on stage and then to see them Actually mine was reversed to see them on camera.
Speaker 4: And then see them on stage. It was amazing experience.
Speaker 3: But my experience we were at the Royal National Theater they call it the National Theater, right, and we were in and so having my experience in America in theater Broadway, off Broadway and professional theater, when I went to London, it was pretty much the same thing.
Speaker 4: It just was in a different a different language, and.
Speaker 3: It was an ease about it. It was a gentleness of that. It was like, oh, yeah, I've landed in the right place. And the whole setup of the National Theater is huge.
Speaker 4: It is well funded.
Speaker 3: They have this commissary, amazing bar and like five six different theaters, theater going on all the time, and it's funded so well by the by the country, you know, by the state, by the government. And so the actors walking around at the National Theater and performing were actors that I would see.
Speaker 4: No, I would see regularly in film and television. So when I.
Speaker 3: When I would go to rehearsal and then go to the commissary, I'm in there with people who are in Harry Potter, you know, James Bond, you know, and all these movies that I, you know, seen and grew up seeing, you know, And I'm like, wow, this is amazing. And they're just very regular, very very down to earth. It's just normal to.
Speaker 4: Like be oh, I'm going to do a film and now I'm gonna play you know. So so the experience was great.
Speaker 3: They treated us really well and we got a chance to It was different.
Speaker 4: It was very very different.
Speaker 3: It took a lot of getting used to as far as the culture, the food, the lay of the land.
Speaker 4: It was one of the best experiences and the audience, the audience.
Speaker 3: How they reacted to us. We were in a huge, huge theater, like a thousands, right.
Speaker 2: And this was with kidney ladies and gentlemen just want.
Speaker 4: This now, yeah and Jitney.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The play won Best New Play that year, and yeah, it was a great experience. And lots of accolades going to visit you know, the red graves, and you know, the stars came out to see us, and they would be at the back door at the stage door, greeting us, and it was just wonderful.
Speaker 4: They really really showed us a lot of love.
Speaker 3: And so in America we were used to standing ovations right at the current. In the UK, they were very quiet, you know, very very quiet and great applause, but listening, you know, they listened a lot intently, so it wasn't a whole lot of you know, like great applause at the end.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 3: The clause was wonderful, but it wasn't a lot of standovations. You got to earn it over there. Wow, they give the innovations away now, like okay, right, really deserve a standing ovation. Okay, you on that stage. You were on that stage, so I guess you get a stand innovation.
Speaker 4: It was just you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So it was just just the way they reacted to the play. We knew that they loved it by the review, by the reviews, and by how people showed up, you know, at the stage door and greeted us, and how many invitations we received and Jitney is a black play rooted in the African American experience of the nineteen seventies and how economically hard it was.
Speaker 4: For people in the community.
Speaker 3: So we decided as a community in that community they would just start their own businesses with with or without a license. We're gonna do this, We're gonna make it through. We're gonna do what we have to do. And so it was very universal in that sense that people, no matter where or where they're from, they were able to grasp onto the human experience of what the message is in that particular play.
Speaker 4: So I just really I just loved London. When I was there. They cast me in the Shakespeare play.
Speaker 3: They wanted me to be a part of another part of Wow. Yeah. They wanted me to be a part another part, a part of another production that they were in rehearsal for, and they asked me to join the cast.
Speaker 2: That is awesome, man.
Speaker 4: I was scared.
Speaker 2: Your state was extended after that.
Speaker 4: No, my state.
Speaker 3: No, it was going to be simultaneous at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wow yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And we had understudies, so we got the chance to hang out with some of our fellow you know, actors, and you know, I met some actors that are now stars over there, and it was just, you know, I just fell in love. I fell in love over there, honestly, I really did. I hope to get back. I hope to get back.
Speaker 4: I hope you're going to transition, yeas that transition. Do some more work over there. Yeah, I would love it.
Speaker 2: You are, I feel that, I feel that there is.
Speaker 1: I haven't had the experience in London yet, but when I was in Amsterdam, there was such a thirst for the African American culture because the Dutch don't acknowledge slavery, even though they have this replica of the ship in the oat in the canal. And the group of African Americans that I did because there's a heavy, heavy culture of biracial children, and so when I did this workshop, it.
Speaker 2: Was interesting because.
Speaker 1: They wanted to talk more about who they thought they were and who I was, because they felt like I stood in a place where I knew who I was and living in America and being black.
Speaker 2: But for them, they don't.
Speaker 1: Know who they are because they're not It's not so much they're not allowed, it's just not discussed and the identity right and then the process. I'm saying to you because I don't know culturally what it's like in London, but they have a system in Amsterdam. If you're an actor, it's like you have to register, you have to you know, constantly show proof of that you are pursuing this as a career. It's a whole government thing that's involved in them getting like we have sag after they have something else and to get that something else, there's a whole process. It's a business because that was their plant, is that there are no opportunities to them, Like they can't go for white rose kind of because they're not really white. They can't go for black roles because they're not really black. So where do they fit in? And the diaster over there?
Speaker 3: Yes, I watch all kinds of content and from Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Amsterdam, uh and that whole Nordic section of the world. I don't know what it is, maybe about the environment, but the debt well, I mean Ipsen you know, the playwright Ibsen you know, and and so so I'm reminded of how heavy and deep there, Uh, the plays are, the literature as well as watching these actors and the stories that are coming out of those countries and that area are so amazingly deep and layered, right, I just I connect to it. I just connect to it, And I really do I connect to their work.
Speaker 4: No, you do.
Speaker 3: I connect to their work just as a as a fan, right and as an actor. And I'm like, oh wow, and it makes me want to do that and makes me want to be a part of it, the same way that I felt when I connected to August Wilson. And so watching them and to your question, to your point, I do see that many of the actors who are non white are often are often they look mixed race, right, Yet yet the quality of their work and their relationship to the other actors and with their positions and jobs are and their characters are all on the same level.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to explain it. I just feel like it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But you do see in the casting what I've seen, not that there's that many though, it's not that many mixed race or black or African people cast in those in those television shows or films that I've watched, but they're there and they're often mixed.
Speaker 4: So that's an interesting you know. I mean, it's the same.
Speaker 3: Evolution of what we went through right here with our casting and things, you know, like the light in the earlier days, the lighter you are, the more opportunities you know, people actors.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and that's going on.
Speaker 1: Still transitioning today. I mean, I think it's great. You know, I've come from a place of black white other in the late eighties to ethnically ambiguous you know, so there is there has been, or I remember I was doing a commercial with Spike, a soft sheet commercial, and they had a hair scientist and their job was to go through the women's hair to make sure they didn't have any weaves extensions because they wanted women with natural hair.
Speaker 2: Now, mind you, I had locks at the.
Speaker 1: Time, and they still bought hair sheets to show me what natural hair were black natural hair work.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we just went through like two questions and we could go on and on and on about both of those subjects. But I have a lot more to say about about process that captain process.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Let me say this because what I wanted to say, I did want to talk about New Amsterdam, but prior to that, I did because I don't know if you work with Darnelle Martin.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, so that's my girl. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes, you love working with her? What loved working with her?
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about her.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about her, because what I wanted to say is that I wanted you to talk about what you.
Speaker 2: Didn't get a chance to talk about.
Speaker 1: I wanted to give you the floor before twenty eight minutes flies by us.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about New Amster. Damn you guys.
Speaker 1: On New Amsterdam event played Nurse Lynn Weber and she worked with one of my dear friends, my sister Darnelle Martin, directed writer Dannielle Martin.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did. So.
Speaker 3: That was my very first pilot that I ever booked New Amsterdam and I was in the pilot and then I was in the series for all five years and I had a recurring role of Nurse Linda Weber.
Speaker 4: And I worked with all of the.
Speaker 3: You know, the the cast and in various scenes.
Speaker 4: And I worked with several directors.
Speaker 3: In television, you will work with several a different director every you know episode.
Speaker 4: It's very fast paced and some directors.
Speaker 3: Have this quality uh being able to see everybody on set, and especially well Darnell was amazing to work with and it was the episode where I did not have a lot right and a lot of dialogue, but I was there in several of the scenes of major pivotal scenes, dramatic scenes, scenes that needed the actors to really bring it. And the series regulars they always bring it right. And they I love watching them because they'll be in conversation with you one second and in the next sect when the camera is rolling, they take control over their instrument and over everything that they're doing, and I'm like, this is so good to watch, even as a student of you know, going from theater to television. Uh, there is a transition, like there's a different style you know, of of working and in television it's fast paced and you have to be able.
Speaker 4: To bring it. Darnell is an artist.
Speaker 3: She is a so smart and knows what she wants and knows how to control that set.
Speaker 4: She's a black woman controlling this set.
Speaker 3: All of the most of the U the crew is white and male, most of them and uh, but they but Darnell had the momentum of creating the scenes and giving the scenes what they needed and they were so required such a depth in the motion from the actor. She kept going, she kept going, You know, take after take after take until she got what she wanted, and she really pushed the actor. It wasn't like, okay, do it again? Can you do it again? And he's a little bit. She was in there with the actor, working with the actor, and this actor was a guest star for that episode, and she was having a baby. Wow, she was having a baby undertre streadful circumstances, and Darnelle needed the emotion to be at a certain level.
Speaker 4: And until she got it, she kept going and so work.
Speaker 3: But she saw me, and I felt very comfortable and just being in the room and in the space with her. She saw me, and she kept seeing me, and she looked at me, and I had a chance to, you know, tell her how much I admired her work.
Speaker 4: And she was very appreciative, and she even gave me some words of advice. You know.
Speaker 3: At that time, I'm like, I'll take you. I'll take it, you know. So I actually was in a meeting with her. She was in a meeting with some executives, and I was in that meeting with her, not with her, but as part of the meeting, and she was actually pitching something. So I got a chance to hear her in a different light and see her in a different light. And I was in a different capacity at that time as well, and I'm walking in the room like I'm like, oh my god, I can't believe I'm in this room with Thank you guy for putting me in this room. But with her, I'm like a fangirl you know.
Speaker 4: Now and remember me and we work together. No, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I love I love her. I've known her since. I like it like that.
Speaker 1: That's when I met her and she was folded brass then and I was like this one here. And then when I called her and asked her to do the first season of Inside the Black Box, she was like yes because I had just spoken her about a conversation out.
Speaker 2: In LA and what she had to deal with, you know, because.
Speaker 1: Appearance wise, you know, and she said this on the show, she does not look African American, you guys. She has blonde hair, blue eyes, but she said I'm black. Because one of my executives was like really, like, I'm like, okay, she's not walking around front team like what are you talking about? So you know, and just a power I want to ask you this because this is super important for actors to know because you have done episodic Okay. I have several friends who direct episodics, and after COVID they all said to me that actors.
Speaker 2: Are getting one take, maybe two takes.
Speaker 1: Is that your experience has that been because then my thing to actors is that you have to put your toenail in take one. I say to actors, you should have at least five to seven different choices to be in that scene because you don't know what's coming at you, director, co star, whatever.
Speaker 4: But I'm prepared, Oh my goodness. Preparation is you know, preparation. I was reading something the other day.
Speaker 3: How you prepare is how you're going to show up as an actor. And if you put the time and effort and prepare smartly and know how to understand the script the text, break it down to where you know what your role is, then you can go on the set and be as free as you possibly can be. So it's it's I think that word preparation is vital to an actor. Now sometimes if you have my experience, if you have like five lines or less or one or two lines, it's not that hard to do right. And and so showing up with having to say one line or two lines. It's about relaxation and knowing that even though you may have one or two lines, you work with these people in this environment, in this script, whatever the made up.
Speaker 4: World is every day.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's just it's it's sometimes they want you to throw the line away, you know, sometimes it's In my case, it was a medical show, so there was medical jargon. So you have to make sure say the word that you know this word, you live this word.
Speaker 4: And I'm just remind.
Speaker 3: Right now all the technical people and the real nurses they had on set. I was actually they actually one of my episodes they had a real nurse audition.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, well, on New York Undercover, we did the same thing. On New York Undercover, we had real cops nurses emt you know, off to the side. Because and that's another thing that's a great point. Even we got to bring that up because one of the things that I stress with actors is reading.
Speaker 2: You have to be able to read right, and you.
Speaker 1: Read every day aloud because not everybody writes how you speak, and you have to get used to other people's words and finding that comfort right. So in in something like you know when you said you know a throwaway or you know, you get that line and you're in the scene.
Speaker 2: Let's say you have one line and you're in the scene with the.
Speaker 4: Star, right, yeah, at a moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, So even if they don't have even if it's like Messenger twenty five, you know, I'm hungry and this is your last delivery and you just want to get out of there, right, you still want to build that character right and do that character breakdown and understanding all of that to be able to be in that line and give that line way.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially if you're an actor who is just starting out, an actor with twenty five years experience has a different ability.
Speaker 4: The experience has a way.
Speaker 3: Of teaching you to just show up and always be prepared, and you show up as you because that's what they want. They want you, right right, I want you and in film and TV especially, you know, and sometimes you just don't have that time to prepare. So the the truer to yourself you are and how you would react and say something is is because that's the most honest. Yes, when you don't have a lot of time to prepare, when you only have one line, but you definitely need to read the whole script and know your role, your your how your job, what your job is in this particular episode, because your one line might the story might pivot on your one line. The information that you bring might be important to the stars next uh, next, you know, next beat so or next moment or to the story. The writer wrote that line for a reason, right, So the preparation part for one line is going to be different than the preparation for uh for if you have you know, five scenes, it's going to be different, you know, So it's going to take a lot more preparation. But it is important to know who you are in that scene, what your job is, and to be able to.
Speaker 4: Deliver that line. And yes, if the director says can you do it this way.
Speaker 3: You have to be able to adjust. Can you do it another way? You have to be able to say, okay, I can adjust to that. And also it's it's uh, I say, don't be afraid.
Speaker 4: To ask questions if you don't understand, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and the environment, depending on how the director is and how the environment is set up, the hierarchy, the temperature on the set, you know, if it's okay to ask ask questions to all of that. You a is what an actor is negotiating when you you know, you're always negotiating relationships and your position and what the hierarchy is, and so all those things can be swirling through your mind when you're on set, right, But if you're zoned into your character, and you're zoned into your lines and what you're there for, then it's all that noise will go away, you know, as soon as because you know, I remember that when the camera started rolling, it was like, Okay, I'm nurseling the weber.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm an emergent, I'm an emergency room nurse, Like I am important in this in this thing, right, and you remember one of the stars came came up to me and Freema and a beautiful person and spirit and she's from the UK and she's like, I love your work.
Speaker 4: I was like, I love your what I'm like, He's like, I love your word.
Speaker 3: And they were very kind often, but then they have things on their minds, right, you have your.
Speaker 4: One line, your two lines of five lines.
Speaker 3: They got so much more, right, Yeah, and uh, and I watched I had a lot of scenes with Janet and Janet would say, I love you she's from the UK as well, I love I love your hair, and Ryan echoed, he was just the most fun.
Speaker 1: Wow, he looks fun, he looks he just looks like he's a character off the camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he came up through the ranks and you could tell his experience gave him, you know, a down to earth quality with people that he wanted to make people feel welcomed on the.
Speaker 4: Set and that's how he made me feel. I love that. I just loved working on New Amsterdam. Honey. I'm like, can y'all give me a little bit more please?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another series I'm putting out in the universe that you will have a content will. They will offer you a contract, you will be one of the key players and it'll be in a place convenient for you. Yes, I put that out in the universe for Evan.
Speaker 5: You had.
Speaker 2: Of course, the time flew away when I asked no worrying about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it has, but you gave the advice. I was going to ask you that and you gave some advice. But you're still here. We're not moving you guys.
Speaker 2: I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Bring Elsa Lathan, who's the co executive producer of the Spirited Actor podcast, and she's.
Speaker 2: Going to bring on two actors who have questions for you.
Speaker 4: Okay from here?
Speaker 5: Yes, Hello, that was to hear the on set experience was wonderful. Thank you so much you wel So today we have two of our Spirited actors. We have miss Alexa Butler, Alexa, you can come on him. And we have mister Randall Holloway Randall, Hi, Alexi ya he.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi Randall.
Speaker 1: Wow you feel you feel so I feel like a mind commercial with you right now.
Speaker 2: Randall, you know, like you know beautiful.
Speaker 5: So since Randall is on RANDO, you can ask your question first.
Speaker 6: Yes, First, thank you Tracy for just you know, allowing this opportunity for us. My question to you you that is, I just want to know about your process as an artist, as an actor.
Speaker 2: What was one of your most challenging roles that you portrayed.
Speaker 6: What was your process to become that character, and what was your process to get out of that character?
Speaker 2: I think that that's very important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for your question. And I process process, process, and that is one of the things that I love about preparing for a role is the process and again process for film is different from process for the stage.
Speaker 4: Process. For film, you are spending a lot more time alone in your process right before the camera's role.
Speaker 3: You need to get those eight twelve three months, you know, four weeks in your own work process right learning your line so that you can forget them, you know, learning as much about your character that you can to show up as character. The thing is is that you don't always get that time with film and TV. It's just the reality of it. With theater, you have a lot more time to do research, to do script analysis, which is very important to get everything out of the script that talks about your character, everything that's said about your character, and then create your whole world and your moments before you start to act, before you open your mouth, before you say anything, know where and why and where you're coming from, to be able to respond to who you're talking to and what and always I look at scenes, well, right now, I'm auditioning for a lot of television right and it's important to still bring to the table the actor experience of action. What I want, what I need, whom I'm talking to and what do I make them feel? And so I feel like the preparation has uh It's like it's like the duck. You see the duck right swimming and look so beautiful, But underneath those feed of working, those feed of working, and so it's kind of like that.
Speaker 4: It's like, you do a lot of preparation. People don't see what you what you're doing. You just show up ready to go.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if I answered your question, but that's some of that's some of, you know, the preparation. I do a lot of reading, you know, I will you know, research, go online, find out who i'm you know, things that may help me to let you on to the character.
Speaker 4: Things like that, you know.
Speaker 3: But television sometimes you just got to make choices like that.
Speaker 4: You have to be like, Okay, this is what it is, right, excellent.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm glad you asked that, Randall, because it answered it's it was something that I wanted her to talk about.
Speaker 2: So that's great, okay, Elsa.
Speaker 5: Thanks you awesome, awesome. So Alexa you are next up. What's your question? Hello?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us and thank you for being here. What excites you most about producing your own work?
Speaker 4: The future, the moment, the present.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm in right now, and what excites me is the control, the power, the ability.
Speaker 4: To make something that comes out of me that has not been.
Speaker 3: Seen before, and that tells a story that has, you know, interesting characters that come.
Speaker 4: From my lived experiences. So what makes me? What makes me?
Speaker 3: I'm just excited to produce my own work. I'm excited to write it. I don't have to worry about how I show up.
Speaker 4: I get it on my laptop.
Speaker 3: I'm with my writing partner, were chopping it up. It doesn't matter how I look, you know, I can just like create and write. And then what's coming out of me though, is like surprising me. The creativity like it all because when I'm writing, when I'm creating my own work, I'm actually doing everything. I'm acting because I'm I'm creating dialogue, I'm I'm directing because now and when I see how my I want my characters to move. So I'm writing from all of those experiences. I'm putting it all into my characters and all into the stories onto the page. So when an actor and a director look at my script, they're.
Speaker 4: Gonna get all of that.
Speaker 3: They're gonna get an actor and a character who's motivated, a character who has needs.
Speaker 4: You know, a character who wants something, a.
Speaker 3: Character who's feeling, and they're gonna be able to see the movement of that character from the beginning, the middle, the end, and all the confusion in between.
Speaker 4: So I love your.
Speaker 3: Question because I'm excited about that part of it, you know, And it's been a journey.
Speaker 4: It's been a journey. It's been a journey.
Speaker 1: But when you that's such a great question, Alexa, because when you're in control of your stuff. I was talking to somebody yesterday who invested a substantial amount.
Speaker 2: Of money in their film.
Speaker 1: But when you do it, that's when this you got to take a chance, you got to take a risk.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying this is for everybody, but producing this and doing this on your own put you and the power seat and it's your work. You got the masters. Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that where you see yourself, Alexa, being a person who creates work of content, writing, directing, maybe writing.
Speaker 7: I don't know about everything else because it's so much and I tend to get fixated, but I admire people who do.
Speaker 3: Okay well writing about yeah yeah it began personally thinks.
Speaker 1: You should do a one woman show. That's just in my opinion. I think there's a one woman showing her I do.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: I think that the way as an actress. The thing that I love about watching her work is that she allows her opinion to stay in her character. She's her characters are very opinionated in their own individual way.
Speaker 2: And I think that, you know, like when.
Speaker 1: You see like that's, you know, you're able to go into the character and allegedly get in the mind of the character. You know, I feel like you really know that character. But you know, a lot of people don't think about that. And the stance with Randall. Randall has a stance that is just un unbelievable, unbelievable, like the power I was telling them on Saturday, the power in a stance.
Speaker 4: Presence, what presence.
Speaker 2: Both of them, both of the presents next generations.
Speaker 4: That's all I got to say.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, Well, congratulations of both of you guys, and I would definitely encourage you to continue writing and you know, keeping up the mindset of as an actor. Yes, but then there's so much more that actors can do right. Actors usually are the ones who know best in a room. Now, don't tell nobody I said this, but actors are usually the ones who know best because we're always researching and observing and taking the temperature of this one and that one, and the story is like, oh, they should do this or they should do that. But however, that's that's above our pay grade if you're just an actor, right. So sometimes in the discussion in a room in a rehearsal process, yes, the director, if they're smart, wants to hear from the actor and what the actor is thinking and about the process, you know. But I have been in rooms with actors and we'll chop it up and we really usually do know best, right, So.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I have to say that directors have ciphered off ideas, writers have ciphered off ideas in live auditions that they've seen and incorporated in the film or TV show. And that's coming from you, because I agree nine. I would say seventy percent of the directors don't know what they want until you walk in the room where your submission stops them in their tracks. So it really is that's why you guys have the power. Because there's delete liquid paper. I don't know if that's around, but you know any erasers, changes happen all the.
Speaker 3: Time, and we could talk a lot about power as well as an actor. Where is an actor's power in the industry today?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: And that's why I'm creating my own content and writing. Yeah, because I have been in positions where I have been that person in the room who knew better but or best and wasn't allowed the voice or the power to be able to And I put it in my performance. And yes, a lot of stuff that it was in my performance ended up on somebody's page and some director would have gotten credit for it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta have a tough skin. You got to develop it. You don't have it, you know, and stay all been pretty at the same time, like who does that?
Speaker 4: Nobody?
Speaker 2: But right, I will tell you I learned.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for your great questions. Alexa and Randall, thank you so much. Thank you Elsa for putting them together. But I do want to say, in terms of your power, you do have to know who you are. The thing that I learned the most important lesson is you have to choose your battle. So you have to know don't take your baby out there and you were non negotiable on your baby. That's not going to be a good look for you. You've got to know what you're willing to fight for and what you're willing to negotiate before. Okay, all right, when we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, evet Ganie is not going anywhere. She's going to be here for class and sessions. So sit back lasting session. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore and actress, producer, writer, overall creative being. Evet Gane is still with us and teacher. She's a teacher as well. Coach guys, we're going to give your information as well. So coming up now, you guys.
Speaker 2: We have class and session and so Elsa is going to introduce the.
Speaker 1: Actors and the scene and then afterwards Evett is going to give them some nuggets because she's been dropping some gems. So I hope you have your treasure chest ready, Nelsa.
Speaker 5: Bags full bags fuld. Thank you. So today in class in session we have back Miss Alexa Butler. Welcome to class and session. Alexa, thank you, thanks you g habving me. And we have mister Randall Holloway. Welcome to class and session.
Speaker 2: Randall, thank you thanks for having me as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he so today's scene is The Good Doctor, written by Reggie Pittman. Interior hospital room, late night, Grayson rushes into the hospital room where his wife is lying unconscious. A team of nurses rush in and begin to roll her into the hallway to take her to surgery. Grayson grabs the doctor as she is about to run past the doctor. Julia is the cousin of the patient and knows Grayson.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, Julia, where are you taking it? She was fine last night.
Speaker 5: Philia rips her arm away.
Speaker 2: She has a slow brain bleed. Grason. It just appeared on our skins an hour ago. What how could you guys miss something like this? Really?
Speaker 7: How do you drive the recklessly down the country road with no shoulder and flipped the car, almost killing my cousin?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, listen, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: How bad?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Pretty bad? The bleed was caught late, and it's in her prefrontal cortex.
Speaker 7: Those will affect her cognitive skills, personality, and behavior.
Speaker 5: Rayson throws his hands up in anger.
Speaker 2: Rayson listened to me, she's forty three.
Speaker 7: Her brain doesn't have the same healing faculties as it did when she was young.
Speaker 2: She'll be lucky if she makes it another year without developing dementia? Are something worse?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Are you serious? All right? What are we gonna do? What will surgery do? Honestie Grayson? Nothing.
Speaker 7: The most painless thing for her would be too and do some medical coma the past.
Speaker 6: No, Julia, please, you have to try something also into that.
Speaker 2: Unethical, Let's do it. This is what's best for her.
Speaker 6: No, no, Julia, no, no, no, I don't care.
Speaker 2: You have to try something.
Speaker 3: Save up, stay, Julia, save her.
Speaker 5: Julia gets into the room and while the assistants are busy, she takes a heavy dose of anesthesia and injects it into the patient's IV. She brushes her cousin's head gently.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, cousin. It'll be over soon.
Speaker 5: Scene.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was a turn of events.
Speaker 2: Okay, event, I'm gonna give it all to you.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a scene? What is that from?
Speaker 5: It's an it's an original scene that he wrote.
Speaker 4: Who who's he?
Speaker 5: Reggie Pittman. He's a writer out of DC.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, it's an original scene. Okay? And is it for film or is it film? TV? Or theater?
Speaker 5: He actually wrote it for this for this this segment.
Speaker 3: Oh well, wonderful, wonderful. All right, guys. Well, first of all, how do you feel?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got it done, so you.
Speaker 3: Got it done right right, right right, So Randa, I'm gonna start with you where you are right now, knowing that this is original piece written for this particular a segment and podcasts and zoom platform. How you're framed up right now is where.
Speaker 4: You should start.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the medium.
Speaker 3: Always consider the medium that you're in, right, So the medium that you're in is a zoom platform.
Speaker 4: You are framed so nicely right.
Speaker 3: Now, right, and your scene partner is that is the camera spot where you see me looking into right now.
Speaker 4: Right there you go, there you go.
Speaker 3: That's you know, and you can be to the you know, your eyeline is very important. So your eyeline can be to your left or to your right a little bit as you're thinking, as you're thinking like you just did now. So that's very important to take into consideration when you're on this platform. Right as you continue your studies, I assume you're going to have some more classes, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, Alexa, you're you're you're looking off to the side.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what you're looking at You're looking at the script? Are you looking at the script or these lines memorized? Committed to memory? I know you are, Randall. I saw that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'm not memorized.
Speaker 7: But my camera is off, my camera is away from my computer.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so you need to make that adjustment for the next time you you do.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's much better. Now.
Speaker 3: I know you're talking to me and trying to reach me. I'm your audience, right, Randall. I saw your moment before, I saw you working up to it, right, and that that I saw you preparing, I would say that was good, but put.
Speaker 4: A cover on it, okay, let it.
Speaker 3: Drop in more internally, right, And because of who you're trying to reach, I'm trying to reach you through this medium, and this is who I'm talking to. I have an emotional thing going on right now, and the more you put a cover on it and try not to feel so much, the more I'll be able to see what's really going on with you, and your emotions will come out. You don't have to perform them or shout them at me or hit me over the head with them. I need to know what's happening, and it will all because the story is so dynamic and really well written that it's about the back and forth between you and alexis character who you think can.
Speaker 4: Help you in this moment. What do you want from her?
Speaker 3: And wanting from her to help from her is going to come out in the language that you're using, so you.
Speaker 4: Don't have to put the too much emotion on it.
Speaker 3: And I would say, like for the stage directions that are being read, if it's important to read the stage direction, yes, read them. But if a stage direction reads an actor raises his hand, that's not something that needs to be read.
Speaker 4: Let the actor do that if the actor feels.
Speaker 3: Like they need to do it in that moment. So actor, if a stage direction is being read, don't worry about doing it. God bless you, don't worry about doing it. Just let it be read, and you stay in your moment of what you want. You don't have to build up to your emotion, just be in it. Because if you believe the situation that you're in, that and the situation that your wife or girlfriend was happening with her, if you believe it, it's gonna come through.
Speaker 4: It's gonna come through.
Speaker 3: Right, Alexa, I really saw halfway through where you really dropped into character. I don't know, it was something happened. I was like, Wow, she really just dropped in and it was a really beautiful moment when I experienced it. I was like, she really dropped in.
Speaker 4: And what what a dynamic that you have to play?
Speaker 3: You have to play a professional and you have to play a person a personal.
Speaker 4: Situation, right what what? What what a dynamic?
Speaker 3: So if you're taking consideration that you're of two minds, you have to be professional, but this is your family member.
Speaker 4: And it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Going to come through if you really understand the text and the writing. And I think you had a lot of subtleties that I liked that I saw that fits your character, and and and the smile at the end when you said, cousin, you know it's going to be all right.
Speaker 4: I thought that was It was interesting to me because I wasn't expecting it. Yeah, smile in a situation like that.
Speaker 3: And it seemed to me that that happened because you were really listening to to to what it was that was happening, you know, listening to yourself or really hearing that text and really having your imagination was in that moment, so.
Speaker 4: It was very full. It was very full. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I want to say though about the action is that I emphasize to them when they read the scenes the first time to read the action because they don't read the action. And a lot of my clients when we first read it the first time, I read the action so they can hear what's going on, because it's really interesting to me that actors will talk over me, you know, do their lint whatever, because it's like, you can't just understand the scene with the dialogue. You need to understand sometimes the dialogue tells you how you're supposed to react or what you're supposed to do, you know, So thank you for like that is something that you know can be used you guys some of those That's an important point. But you got to read everything to understand what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I action. Oh yeah, you definitely have to read the action.
Speaker 2: You know, table reads.
Speaker 4: Was this a cole read?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Well for you?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I know a cole read. This is the first time they've done this.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't. Did you work with them, Elsa, you're on mute, you're on mute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got it. Yesterday.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, yeah, I just when I when I talked, when I mean what I mean about the reading the action, it's really for the actor.
Speaker 4: If it's going to be read by.
Speaker 3: You know, stage management or management or a reader, then if it's being read, the actor doesn't have to do it right, you know, I mean especially after the fact, right, because it doesn't feel like it's organically coming from the actor. So if you're really working on this and you're auditioning and you have a scene partner, that's not going to be read. So beforehand, the actor would have read that stage direction or that that action, and they would have incorporated that into their audition or into that performance that you know, he raises his hand, right, You see what I mean? Because when when when Randall did it, it didn't seem connected to Randall.
Speaker 4: Right, that was what I was.
Speaker 2: This is what you're supposed to do, and then it's.
Speaker 3: It's actors when you have a stage direction or a action because I'm you know, theater, film, TV, you know, different mediums.
Speaker 4: So when you have something telling you.
Speaker 3: Uh, an action that your hand is raised in some way, there's a reason for that, right, So you as an actor incorporate that into your physicality.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Once again, you guys stand up, please put your hands together for the amazing, the phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Take a bow.
Speaker 3: Ya.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. This was so much fun. I'm gonna plaud your.
Speaker 1: U and thank you Alexis and Randall too. Thank you also for bringing the scene classes sessions.
Speaker 2: So you guys, when we come back on.
Speaker 1: The Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I'm gonna give you some love, love, love love. Welcome to Kudo's Corner. Kudo's Corner is where we celebrate Spirited Actor alumni, their work, what they're currently doing, and just an overall big hug and love and support to them.
Speaker 2: This week's Kudodo's.
Speaker 1: Corner puts the spotlight on Spirited actor Gail Turner. Gail Turner made her Broadway debut as Dorothy, understudy to Stephanie Mills in the original Tony Award winning production of The Whiz. She went on to star and be featured in productions of Little Shop of Horrors, Nonsense, Smokey Joe's Cafe, and Having Our Say, The Delaney Sisters, among many others. Most recently, she was in the New York Times critic pick production of Prey here in New York City, as well as performances with the Broadway Inspirational Voice Gospel Choir. You've seen her on television roles on Law and Order SVU and season two and just like that, kudos to Gail Turner and now it's time to give love. Yesterday I was talking to an actor and I asked him because there's an exercise that we have in our class where I tap into different emotions of the actors.
Speaker 2: We go through life pretty fast.
Speaker 1: Right when people are grieving, they want to get through it as opposed to just allow time to heal that.
Speaker 4: But this is the deal.
Speaker 1: When you are going through this journey as an actor, you hear a lot of noise, and you hear noise from people saying.
Speaker 2: You should get a real job, or when are you going to get a role? Are you making money?
Speaker 1: You have to cancel delete that noise, and what you need to do is find a way to celebrate yourself, because that's the thing. We can chase, run, hustle, grind, all these words, all these things. But if we are not happy every single living day, then we're missing something. You are not going to find happiness outside of yourself. When you find happiness within everything, everything you touch, every person you speaks to the movement in your life. It comes from a positive, happy place, a beautiful manifestation of all the things that you dream about and want. Stay in your happy place, but before you stay in it.
Speaker 4: Find it.
Speaker 1: And once you find it, hold on to it and let it be that happy thought. When those negative and dark moments come around, it'll combat that and you'll fall right back into your happy place and you'll fall right back into your creations.
Speaker 2: Be happy, stay.
Speaker 1: Happy, don't forget to look out for us on our new show, Inside the Black Box. My co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be the Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids.
Speaker 2: We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on the Spirited Actor p Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited Podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you,