Speaker 1: So one of my favorite current artists is this singer songwriter named John Craigie.
Speaker 2: Do you guys know.
Speaker 1: He's amazing, He's awesome. I've seen him a couple of times a concert. I'm gonna see him coming up. You would you would hate him, Danielle.
Speaker 3: Seeing Bob Dylan esque.
Speaker 4: Yes, Scott it.
Speaker 1: Very much in the Bob Dylan, in the Bob Dylan mold, but very self consciously so. I mean even has a song called too Much Dylan. Okay, Anyway, he put on an album like two years ago called mermaid Salt, which is just brilliant and beautiful. The lyrics are insane and it's like a it's a great vibe. I just spent like my entire summer listening to it that year and like great album. So I highly recommend that. But I discovered him a few years ago through this song that he has. It's a from a live album called Opening for Steinbeck and the first song is the song called Dissecting the Bird and it starts to just.
Speaker 5: Be called all for Rider. Every thing you said so far is so Rider strong.
Speaker 4: It's unbelieve.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yes, here's the thing. He's he's he's he's become a very serious songwriter. And it's like I said, the lyrics are incredible and deep and nice, but he's actually very funny, and he has an on stage presence it's really reminiscent of Mitch Hedberg. He has this sort of like really clever, witty asides that he just sort of throws out there and just it kills. So he's he's hysterical and he this song, Dissecting the Bird starts off and it's the opening of this concert that he's doing, and you know, the music starts and the first verse is all about how nervous he is to be singing and that he doesn't feel prepared and he knows his voice isn't very good and he's afraid his fly is open, and you can hear the audience like kind of laughing, like is this is this part of the song? Say what is this? And then he drops into the chorus and the chorus is you're doing it wrong, dissecting the bird, trying to find the song. It's a miracle that we're here at all, and it's like, wow, that's kind of cool. And then he goes into the second verse and it's all about how he takes it to like, I can't believe I'm singing in front of you people, Like my last job was picking up trash in a parking lot. Nobody would watch me do that. I'm so lucky that you're here to listen to me sing, you know. And then he goes into the verse again like you're doing it wrong, dissecting the bird, trying to find the song. It's a miracle that we're here at all. And the audience is like starting to go on his side. You can hear them like, oh okay. And then he just goes into this amazing verse where he takes it all the way back to you know, the human history and world events that have led us to be here in this moment, and it gets more and more like poetic and beautiful, where he's like, you know, all these things had to happen, like diseases and cells, and your parents at some point had to meet and stay together just long enough to make some love and give you a name, and you know, now you're here, and it's just like and he goes into this thing where it's like in the audience is just so with him, and then he brings back the chorus, which is you know, you're doing it wrong, dissecting the bird trying to find the song, and it's hysterical and kind of strangely beautiful and wonderful and all the things that I love it. And it was the first song I ever heard of his that got me into him. Anyway, I hadn't heard it for years, and then I heard it just the other day, and suddenly I could I was listening to it in the framework of this podcast, you know, and this tendency that we have because of what we're doing to be you know, dissecting boy meets World and pulling it apart. And in a way, it's the same thing, right we're dissecting the bird, trying to find the song, and I suddenly could just hear this, this this journey that this song goes on in the context of like what we're doing. And in the same way, we're like nervous about our performances, we're critical of ourselves, and then we also have this other side, like in his second verse, where we're like, but you know what's amazing, like that we had this hit show and that anybody's listening to us, And anyway, you guys should go listen to it. I recommend it to all of our listeners too, And it's just like I just it was. It was so funny to re encounter this song and be like, yeah, this is much much like this song in our experience with this podcast. Like it's a miracle that we're here, you know, and like we get over analytical, we get we were hard on ourselves, we're hard on the show, but like I am so grateful and so happy and like it's it. It truly is so heartwarming that we get to do this and we're going to continue to dissect the bird. But you know, there really is a song that that that was there and then you know, the Boy Meets World is great and this podcast is so great and our listeners are amazing. Yes, it's it's something if anybody wants to hear a funny and good song, it's a it's a it's a journey.
Speaker 6: It's fun.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going to have to go take a listen to that.
Speaker 7: I was worried that you were going to say, so we're doing it wrong and this will be our last episode.
Speaker 3: The reason we do the podcast. You're the one who came up with the idea. At any point, you could pull the plug, I guess, so, you.
Speaker 1: Know, no, that's the thing. It's like, you know, we're all we're doing is Monday Morning quarterbacking. Yeah, yeah, metaphors trying here you go. Yeah, and you know, so it's always there's always this tension here. But I just I you know.
Speaker 5: I would I would add one caveat to that. We're Monday Morning quarterbacking our own quarterback performance, which is different. It's different than sitting there and watching a game that you were sitting on your couch you had nothing to do with, and then money moon a quarterbacking. We are overly critical and overly harsh, but we're criticizing ourselves, which I think is a little bit different than just Strand.
Speaker 4: Enter team. Absolutely absolutely, and we.
Speaker 5: Could be overly harsh with that, but I think we get a little bit of a break because it is that we're analyzing something that we've done totally.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but the only reason we get to even do that is because, yeah, and also just that you know, our fans are willing to come along with us, you know that. Yet people have endured, like you know, all these thirty years, you know, with Boy Meets World and shared it with their kids or their friends and their communities. And now that's this community that we have with this podcast. It's so heartwarm and it's so wonderful.
Speaker 4: I was worried start a season five. I'll be honest, I was.
Speaker 5: I was getting worried, and now I'm getting more hopeful again. I think, yeah, we we you know, the shows and flows like any good show.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 5: We also as as the resident TV lover here and not I wouldn't say expert, but real TV lover, just getting into the category of having a show that lasts this long and so rare that being able to say, hey, we did one hundred and fifty eight amazing episodes that no one in the history of television has ever been able to say that.
Speaker 4: There's no such thing. It doesn't exist.
Speaker 5: There's bad episodes of Friends, the Office, Seinfeld, you name it. There's episodes. That's just the way it is. So we might be overly harsh on it, but that's what.
Speaker 1: We do what we're here for.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 5: And I got to listen to Bob Dylan, the new Bob Dylan Guy, Johnny Kraeger, John Craigie Craigie, John Craig's amazing.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for being here for this episode of Podmeets World. I'm Daniel Vishel, I'm Right or Strong, and I'm Wilfred. The landscape of nineties family television was, at its core pretty simple. You had your Saturday morning cartoons Bobby's World, Recess or Rugrats, and then you had your primetime family sitcoms Full House, Family Matters or Yes, Boy Meets World. But then there was something else, something completely different, a hybrid of sorts, the Saturday morning family sitcom, the urducan of Kids.
Speaker 4: TV, Yeah, Fish Steakins.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 7: And this week we are talking to one of the true pioneers of this combo.
Speaker 3: And it's a long time coming.
Speaker 7: Because she's a familiar face to our rewatch, appearing three times on Boy Meets World in season one as Tracy in Model Family and It's a Wonderful Night, then returning for season two as Candy for the Hectic Thrilla in Phila. For those keeping score at home, she is not in the three timers club since she was named Tracy twice, but she is the first inductee into a totally different club that we're excited to announce during this episode.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 7: Further extending her nineties legacy. She'd appear on The Wonder Years, Step by Step and Blossom, then became a series regular on the iconic Baywatch, donning the red swimsuit for three seasons as lifeguard April Gaminski. But it was her time on the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell that was California Dreams, a spiritual Sister to Save by the Bell that was part of the TNBC Saturday morning block and would forever cement her into the Decades Hall of Fame. She was the bass player for the fictional titular band Tiffany and Smith for five seasons, and it's still a real, if you know you know type of fandom, so much so that they recently reunited for two very special nights to perform as a real band, singing songs from the original show that fans still remembered.
Speaker 3: Every word too.
Speaker 1: Does actually play their instruments and sing Yes, I had no idea, I don't know.
Speaker 3: By the fact did that.
Speaker 7: The show is complete, unstreamable in twenty twenty four, and people still knew all the words. Oh yeah, let that sing in so please Welcome to Pod Meets World. The three B Queen Bass, Baywatch and Boy Meets World. It's Kelly Packard. Y guys, Oh my gosh, so good to see.
Speaker 2: You, see you, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: So we just talked about in your intro that you guys recently did two nights where you performed as a real band.
Speaker 3: Boy did did you.
Speaker 7: All play your instruments back in the day? Did you guys all like, were you guys a real band?
Speaker 2: No? So we that was not us playing the instruments.
Speaker 8: However, Brentley could play the guitar that well and better, but the rest of us could not. I was faking playing the bass, but I'm definitely us singing.
Speaker 7: H We are so happy to have you as you were one of our favorite faces to see during seasons one and two of our rewatch, and we know that you've been, you know, recently revisiting your childhood acting as well. So you are a perfect fit for our podcast. So let's start with you being on Boy Meets World. You appeared on three episodes as two different characters, a bit of a write of passage for our show.
Speaker 3: Do you remember any of the auditions?
Speaker 8: I vaguely remember the auditions, but I know when the first audition happened. I just know how excited I was because I loved the show, and when I booked that, I was like awesome. And then I obviously left an impression because they just kept asking me back and I found that flattering.
Speaker 7: So and you had already at the time, by the time you came to us on Boy Meets World, you had already guest starred on Wonder Years, Blossom and Step by Step. Were you just doing like endless rounds of auditions during that time?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 8: Yes, I started when I was eight years old, and the auditions that I did from eight to thirty team would blow your minds. But then when I turned thirteen, things just kind of started happening, and I started getting guest spots on things like Wonder Years, in Blossom and Baywatch and then you guys, and so it just from then on, I didn't really have to audition as much. I still did have to audition, but as much as when I was younger.
Speaker 3: So do you remember joining our show for a week?
Speaker 7: Did you enjoy being a guest star on Boy Meets World very much?
Speaker 8: I didn't obviously get quite as close to you, Danielle and you writer, but Will and I.
Speaker 2: Got pretty close.
Speaker 8: We were really friends, and so we just hit it off from the first time I was on, and so I was exciting to go back and see him every time.
Speaker 5: It was well, I also remember you were also you came on on. The first episode we did together. Was kind of a hectic week because it started with I wish I'd remember his name was the first time Marsden came on and was he replaced the sod. We had rehearsed all week long with one person playing Eric's best friend, and then like the day of the shoot, Marsden came in and took the job over. So we kind of all looked at each other like, all right, we're doing this again, and we had to re rehearse everything and kind of get it back into our feet again with a whole I mean, Jason brings a whole different energy to the set. So it was kind of like, oh, okay, well, I guess we're doing it.
Speaker 4: We're ratchet it up.
Speaker 1: And not starting out all over.
Speaker 4: It was we really did, and.
Speaker 5: I think he came in the day of the shoot. Yeah, right, yeah, so we were kind of it was thrown on our feet right away.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but he's such a professional I don't know that anybody else could have really done that besides him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, dout great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So you do not know this, but we are here to commemorate a mind blowing achievement you pulled off in the nineties, and you, I think, are the only person we know to have accomplished this feat. You played Susan Fisher on The Wonder Years, a love interest for Kevin arn't Old, played by Fred Savage, and then you came to Boy Meets World as Tracy, the love interest of Ben Savage, officially making you the only temptress for both Savage brothers.
Speaker 2: Really, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Would you like to give an acceptance speech of any kind?
Speaker 8: Or it's those Savage boys that just kept meet you working and I open everything. No, I think actually, if I'm not mistaken, because I was thinking about it, and Tracy, I think was more was the love interest of you will and then Andy was Ben right?
Speaker 4: And I think you're right. Yes, I think you're right.
Speaker 8: I found that interesting that I had you know that I that I grew up enough in what a year that I was old enough to date you exactly?
Speaker 2: That funny?
Speaker 4: That is funny, man. I remember you and I we got along.
Speaker 5: You're right, we got along very very well, and then I was just so nervous around you for the next couple episodes.
Speaker 4: I just remember being very, yeah, very nervous around you for the next couple episodes. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Your first episode was Model Family, which, as Will was mentioning, you're in the infamous lobster costume scene at the mall. Uh do you remember working with the lobster suit and the dunk tank.
Speaker 8: I do remember thinking the dunk take was pretty funny, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 8: It was a small it was a small part in that particular one, but yeah, I remember it being funny. I remember the laughs that got from they got from the writers, which I thought was funny.
Speaker 2: It's obviously their idea exactly right, Yeah, right, but it was. It was definitely over the top, which I was already used to.
Speaker 3: So do you remember Kathy Ireland at all?
Speaker 8: I do. I remember meeting her, and I remember being excited about meeting her, and then I forgot that I met her until many.
Speaker 2: Years later, and I was like, oh, yeah, I was the same.
Speaker 8: With the third episode that I did. There were some pretty big names on that episode, and I was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yo, yep.
Speaker 1: That's by far our craziest episode stars just packing it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I forgot about mean even I was like, what, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember when we were shooting the lobster scene.
Speaker 5: So they put me in the lobster suit, and then they put me up on the seat to go into the dunk tank and then had to keep me there because taking me down between takes or do it was just too difficult.
Speaker 4: So I just had to sit there and I.
Speaker 5: Was getting super hot, and I was sweating profusely, and my face turned bright red. And they pulled the kind of the curtain away, and I remember just looking at you, Kelly.
Speaker 4: And your face. You were like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: I remember you specifically mouthing like, oh my god, like you thought I was going to pass out. It was like you were I saw on your face. I was like, oh, she's legit, worried about how I look right now. This can't be good. So, yeah, that's such a distinct memory of that episode.
Speaker 2: Even if nobody else was, I was looking out for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Thank you so sweet.
Speaker 7: So your second episode was also still in the first season. You were still the character of Tracy's but it was the episode It's a Wonderful Night, And now Jason and Eric basically steal their parents' car for a double date with you and the same other pretty girl from the Model Family episode. This is another big set piece with a high concept. Do you remember that episode?
Speaker 2: So I do.
Speaker 8: All I really remember about that episode was you know, playing the mean girl, and I like, you know, I thought that was so fun because I hadn't played that yet.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I remember. So the guy.
Speaker 8: I was excited because the guy that played the owner of the.
Speaker 3: You know they, John Gibb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was in Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I'm a huge I'm a geek when it comes to meeting people like that.
Speaker 2: So I remember being very excited about that.
Speaker 4: Do you remember we talked to him for a while.
Speaker 5: We were asking him all like the Revenge of the Nerds question and he loved talking about it. So we sat there with him for like an hour, just throwing Revenge in the Nerds questions at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you remember that? And I was very excited to meet him.
Speaker 7: So your third episode that we mentioned somehow another massive set piece, this time in season two, The Thrilla in Philla, which involved a wrestling match with Big Bad Vader Robert goolay yasmin Belief Blake sent it in a singlet and a young Adam Scott.
Speaker 3: So in this one is now where you.
Speaker 7: Are apparently a different character and you are Corey's new jock girlfriend he needs to impress, named Candy. I have no idea how you ended up on three totally unhinged episodes.
Speaker 1: Did you have to audition for Candy or do you think did you just get the call?
Speaker 8: I think I just got the call at that point. I don't remember auditioning for it at all. And so when I all the script and saw what I was playing, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, this is fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so much fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Do you remember anything about the wrestling ring or the you know anything about that's those scenes.
Speaker 2: I just remember that it was a big ordeal. It took a long time. There was a lot of waiting because they were doing lighting and it was hot. I remember that, and.
Speaker 8: Then they just they literally would bring like Robert Leigh on like last minute because he was such a big star.
Speaker 4: It was so awesome.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I just remember it took a long time.
Speaker 1: It was do you.
Speaker 5: Remember Yasmine Bleef being there because she doesn't remember being there.
Speaker 8: I swear to you I don't and to the point where I would have talked to her about it on the show or when we went to Dubai together. I did not remember that she had that little bit on it isn't that fun?
Speaker 3: Wait, you went to Dubai with Yasmine Bleef?
Speaker 2: I did. I did.
Speaker 8: When I first got Baywatch, we did this celebrity Arabian adventure in Dubai and she and I were co hosts with Jason Hervey and.
Speaker 2: I think Ricky rick Ca. Ricky her boyfriend at.
Speaker 8: The time, and so we all went to Dubai together, and I swear to I remembered that we were on Boyman's World together.
Speaker 2: I would have talked to.
Speaker 3: Her about it.
Speaker 7: Well, I only wish you did, because she would have said I was not on it.
Speaker 5: She she has she said several times I was not on that show, and we're like, you realized we were actually taping it.
Speaker 7: Right, I mean, I would like to go on the record to give her some cut her some slack and say I also.
Speaker 3: Didn't remember being in that episode. I was like, I'm not in that episode.
Speaker 7: And then everyone was like, you're sitting right there, You're you, that's you, And I'm like, oh, that is me.
Speaker 1: So she might also not remember Dubai though.
Speaker 2: So right, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I mean the reality she was probably on set for forty five minutes. She probably just showed up. They rushed her in. It was a big guest star. She was like, what am I doing? What is the show? Wake out with Adam Scott and then get out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, rightly, so funny.
Speaker 7: Well, before we put you into totally insane situations for Boy Meets World, you were cast a star in a beloved Saturday morning sitcom called California Dreams, part of NBC's strategy to repeat the success of Saved by the Bell. Now, when it came to auditioning, were they looking to put together an actual band? I know you said you didn't actually play the bass, So what was your audition like for that? And did they care at all that you didn't play the instruments?
Speaker 8: So yes, they from the get go, you had to be able to sing, okay, to be even auditioned. So I could sing. I wasn't great at singing, but I could sing. So I went in for the audition and I had nine auditions total, five of which were in the music studio.
Speaker 2: Wow. First two totally great, like I had fun.
Speaker 8: But I remember being there with Jenny, who has had come from Miss Saigone to give you an.
Speaker 2: Idea her voice, and I was like, oh, what am I doing here?
Speaker 8: And then Heidi came in and sang like a Whitney song and I was like, hey, just get me out of here. I do, but anyway, I sang the first two times and then the third and fourth time that I went in, I had strep throat and I want to say, like mono, I had no no, and I just remember thinking, please see past this, Please see past this.
Speaker 2: And sure enough we did see past it.
Speaker 8: And my producer was so grateful that I actually could sing, because all he remembered was that audition where I was like, ah, it sounded like I kind of do now. But anyway, so it was very important to them that we sang. And the day that I signed my NBC contract, I also signed a contract with MCA, so it was really a dream come true.
Speaker 7: Oh cool, Yeah, that's unbelievable. And this was a large ensemble cast of young actors. Did you guys all get along immediately?
Speaker 2: We did. We did. We were all young and stupid, but yes we did.
Speaker 8: I consider them still family, but at the time it was literally like we were being thrown together with our brothers and sisters.
Speaker 2: So just which you guys, can I'm sure relate?
Speaker 4: Where did you film?
Speaker 2: We?
Speaker 8: So we started at NBC, which was awesome because we were right next to Fresh Prince. I would go over to the Night Show like all kinds of fun stuff, and then we switched to Gower for the last two seasons.
Speaker 4: Gotcha?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 7: Some of the folklore of the Sacred Saved by the Bell is about how they all dated each other.
Speaker 3: Was that the same thing over on the California Dream Set?
Speaker 2: Oh? I can't speak for anyone else. Okay, Yes, there was.
Speaker 8: Some messing around. I wouldn't say dating. I would not say dating. However, I'm proud to say I did date Mark Paul for two weeks to fame. But so they were shooting next door on New Class and so we kind of got to know each other and dated for a whopping two weeks.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's a long time in the business.
Speaker 2: It's a long time.
Speaker 3: That's a long time. Exactly how old were you?
Speaker 1: How old were you at this point.
Speaker 4: Were you eighteen or were you still?
Speaker 2: I was? No, was I over eighteen when I met Mark Paul.
Speaker 8: I don't think I was. I think I was still seventeen. So I had just turned seventeen when I got.
Speaker 7: The part we love Mark Paul around here akaa James Vanderbates.
Speaker 4: James Baker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mark Paul was so good on Dawson's Creek that it's like we still we still talk about.
Speaker 4: It to this day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did not say that.
Speaker 5: Oh no, we did, Daniel. I did say that to him. That was part of this. Happened mid interview.
Speaker 7: Well, to make it worse, I had asked him, does he ever get mistaken for someone else? Because we all sometimes, you know, we're all told oh I loved you on Full House or oh I loved you on shows we were never on. So I asked him if that ever happens to him, and he said he gets mistaken for James Vanderbek and I was like, oh, I don't really see it. And then later was like, I saw a great social media clip of you and he was like, that was James Anderby, that was James.
Speaker 4: She literally did it mid interview. It was I couldn't have been scripted any better than it was.
Speaker 3: The most cringe moment.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really.
Speaker 2: He's a good sport.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yea, he is.
Speaker 3: He is a very good sport. He's been very kind to me about that.
Speaker 7: So most of the songs for California Dreams were composed by Steve Tyrrell, who is a Grammy winner for his work with Rod Stewart. He produced Hooked on a Feeling and rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head, both of which are bops. But most importantly, he wrote how do You Talk to an Angel? By The Heights aka Jamie Walters, which should have won him the pullitzer.
Speaker 4: Did you do you know who else was in that band? Who? Alex Day's heir? He was on the Heights? Yes, he's on the Hikes.
Speaker 5: That was where Alex was was was one of the members of the band that sings how do you Talk to an Angel? Yeah, that's that's our connection with the Heights baby. Oh yeah. And he did not like when I sung that song to him. I will tell you I went up to him on time. I was like, how do you talk? He's like no, I was like, oh, go.
Speaker 1: Same on it? Or did he just play an instrument.
Speaker 5: I said, well, no, he's part of the like he's part of the band in the Heights, so it was he was on the show as part of the band.
Speaker 4: So I was one of like their hit songs. Yeah, he did not like me singing it to him.
Speaker 7: Kelly, did you like the music from the show back when you were filming?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 8: And it's really funny because we've done these reunion concerts and the music really stands up, like there are several songs that I could hear on the radio today. It's really impressive. I didn't love my songs because I got the more bubblegum type songs. I always wanted Heidi's songs. So now for these concerts, I kind of do that.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, I'm taking that one get hers.
Speaker 2: But no, it's really good music.
Speaker 8: And the theme song, I think it's been like named like top five most memorable theme songs.
Speaker 5: I can see that. I can totally see that. That makes sense. It is one of those the second you hear it, you know what it is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, at least a certain age group or my kids, because watch it now.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, how old are your kids?
Speaker 2: So I have four?
Speaker 8: I range you from twenty all the way down to my youngest just turned twelve. Of you today, today's your birthday, Happy.
Speaker 4: Birthday, every birthday.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: What do they think about seeing you on TV? What do they think about your career?
Speaker 2: Well, luckily I was on shows that they can watch, and they love California Dreams. They kind of know it inside and out.
Speaker 8: They know it better than I do, to be honest, And they call Michael uncle Michael, they call Jenny and Jenny.
Speaker 2: They don't know any different.
Speaker 4: And it's cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And it's been really fun doing these concerts because they get to see me in this.
Speaker 2: Light that they don't know me as right.
Speaker 8: So New York, we're up on stage singing and they were just like, what's happening?
Speaker 2: That's my mom?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: So fun.
Speaker 7: We're going to get to the reunion shows soon. But first I want to know, do you have a favorite California Dreams episode?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question. Probably.
Speaker 8: Well that's a trick question because there was one where I got to do the classic Jesse span out, you know, when she was on like meds or whatever.
Speaker 2: I was on steroids, Tiffany. That one was fun, you know, play a little different something.
Speaker 8: But I loved the ones where people would not realize that, like we were laughing throughout the entire episode. So there's one called Elu Shoe Flu where Michael dressed us up as a germ and it was so stupid that we just we keep our pants laughing and so those degrees that, and I can watch that episode and see all of us laughing and they couldn't cut it out.
Speaker 3: Couldn't couldn't edit around it.
Speaker 7: Wait, I have to know, well what you're doing on staircu thank you, thank you to the steroids press.
Speaker 4: It's so many questions, So thank you Danielle.
Speaker 8: Because Tiffany played volleyball guys, and so to get your edge at volleyball, Sly gave her some steroids and then I got addicted to them and had a rooid rage in the whole nine yards.
Speaker 2: Yes, good, it really was good. I can't stand watching it because I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh God, that was terrible, But it happens. What happens in your rage.
Speaker 8: I throw all the dishes off the table, I pin Sly up to the locker.
Speaker 2: Totally believable. So yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Wow, Thank thank you Danielle.
Speaker 8: I needed to know that you guys remember your I want to say he was assistant director, may have directed then.
Speaker 2: But Patrick Maloney, do you guys remember him?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 2: It's he was our director.
Speaker 8: For two years on California Dreams, and he actually came to the last reunion concerts. So I just remember that connection and knowing that he was with you guys as well.
Speaker 4: That's really cool. I forget.
Speaker 5: I don't think he actually ever directed an episode on the show.
Speaker 4: Okay, but he was.
Speaker 5: I forget what Patrick did, I don't remember, but super nice guy and was there all the time, Like I think he was there all seven years.
Speaker 2: He might have been like an ad at the time.
Speaker 8: I can't remember, but I just I remember seeing him there and then when he came to wait, I know you.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he's a good guy.
Speaker 5: So I should probably tell you that I had just moved out to Los Angeles when I did not live there long, and you were like one of my first crushes when I first moved out to LA I should probably I should admit that since you're here. It's yeah, I have to tell you. I was what seventeen and you were the California girl. It was so so different and you guys ever hang out on that side set.
Speaker 8: So I will say I the crush was reciprocated and what happened with us and this is the God's honest truth. So I was on the first episode and I want to say in that moment, I had a boyfriend. But then when I went back on again, I was like, I'm single, I'm single, and he had a girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Literally kept we kept crossing paths.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, yeah, And so I think that's how it went down, and it was really sad.
Speaker 4: I think so too.
Speaker 3: I think it's a tragedy.
Speaker 4: The timing just never worked out.
Speaker 5: But we always we hung out on set and we had a lot of fun and you were You were always just so nice to me and I very much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: It's so sweet.
Speaker 7: Well, while researching, we did notice that Fergie appeared on California Dreams, as did Tara Reid and Jamie Kennedy. So I believe they all tie for most nineties, but were any of them most fun?
Speaker 8: I do remember that I don't think I said a word to Fergie because I was a fan of hers, not as Fergie.
Speaker 2: She wasn't Fergie at the.
Speaker 8: Time, right, Yeah, So I lived on Kids Incorporated.
Speaker 2: Growing up, she was on the show. I was just like, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I could.
Speaker 8: I don't think I said a word to her, which is again really dumb looking back.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I tell my kids that all the time. I'm like, oh, yeah, Fergie is on our show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we go way back.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Kids Incorporated was a great people for people of a certain age. Kids Incorporated was super important. Yes, that was a great show. Yes, Oh, such a good show.
Speaker 4: Did you watch three two one Contact as a little kid too?
Speaker 2: That one does not ring a bell?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, three two one Contact is another great show. That's early early, that's like I was probably five or six. Yeah, and that was Hey, that was a great show as well.
Speaker 2: I was watching Jim at five and six.
Speaker 9: I love Jem truly outrageous, great show, great space coaster.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, okay, good, it's just so funny.
Speaker 3: So when the show ends, do you keep in touch with everyone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 8: We Jenny was in my wedding, Michael came to my wedding, William came to my wedding. I stayed in touch with everybody except Diana. We kind of lost touch. So when I saw her last October. That was really lovely because I hadn't seen her since the show rapped. And then Jay Jayce moved to Australia probably like five after five years after we wrapped, so we kind of lost track of him. So getting to see those guys again was really fun because I hadn't seen them since we wrapped. But Michael, Jenny, Will, Brent were all still really close and Heidi. I still talk to Heidi all the time.
Speaker 4: Where was the reunion that you guys did? Where was this?
Speaker 8: So the first one we did was twenty twenty, literally the month before COVID happened. That's why I remember it so well in LA and it was a huge success, so we were like, this is awesome, we should do this again. Well, COVID hit and so the last one we did was in October of last year, so twenty twenty three. We did that in New York and it was a success, but it didn't have the same feeling as that first one, like a lot of things changed during COVID. It just kind of yeah, people a little you know, not so sure to.
Speaker 2: Go out still, I don't know.
Speaker 8: But then our last one was just in what are we in? So march back in La or May, I can't remember. It was recent. These months are going together?
Speaker 1: How did it come together?
Speaker 4: Whose idea was it?
Speaker 1: How did you get the gang back together?
Speaker 2: That is a really good story because it was actually my idea, only because only because Jenny and I were at a concert.
Speaker 8: I will leave the band unnamed, but it's a very well known girl band and they didn't sound great, and I was like, we would sound ten times better than them, That's literally what I said.
Speaker 2: I was like, we could do this, We could totally do this, and she's like, well, we could, but we'd have to produce it ourselves, and so that just she has a producer's mind.
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 8: But she took on the reins and we produced the whole thing ourselves, the first one, second one as well, and then the third one. Finally, someone in Atlantic City was like, yeah, we'll pay, Yeah, we'll bring you out.
Speaker 2: So if it's anymore, we would like somebody else to do. The producer right got to work.
Speaker 4: So all of this came from you all going to the Go Gos.
Speaker 10: No they were sorry, but I will say who it was because that would be but they were, Yes, they were a popular eighties nineties girl band and they did not sound good.
Speaker 5: So we do this, but you're gonna but you're gonna do another one because this is definitely something I want to go see.
Speaker 2: Oh good, Well, we are talking about it, but.
Speaker 8: Again, okay, we need somebody else to fund it because for me and Jenny, it was just so much work that I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Take that on again.
Speaker 7: Well, the creators, Brett Dewey and Ronald Solomon, have you guys reconnected with them with them at all time?
Speaker 2: This just through Instagram and social media to them, and they are always so supportive and just so sweet. When we post something, they're like, oh, you guys are the best. You know, it's really cool.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, we the three of us, know firsthand that even at the end of the day, none of this could happen without the nostalgic desire of fans. So this has been very cathartic for us to regroup and talk about our past together. You guys are actually performing the songs, so it must.
Speaker 3: Feel just very wild. What is that experience like for you?
Speaker 2: It's really it is wild.
Speaker 8: And I feel like we sound almost better than we did back then, and that with the fact that we can pull it off is pretty awesome. I again, the music stands the test of time.
Speaker 2: It's still really great. And I think if it was re released, I think it would be successful, which is crazy thirty years later, you know.
Speaker 7: And so you guys aren't playing the instruments. You have a band playing the instruments, and you are doing the singing.
Speaker 2: Yes, except Brentley.
Speaker 8: Brentley did do the lead guitar on cast concerts, okay.
Speaker 1: And how many songs are there? How deep is the catalog?
Speaker 2: Forty nine forty nine?
Speaker 3: I believe you have fifty songs?
Speaker 1: And so are there some that you will never play because you're like, I don't like this one?
Speaker 4: Or yeah, what's your what's your saint? Stephen?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a couple. There's one that I sang called into the Tube. I mean the name says enough.
Speaker 2: It's like a surf song. It's just really bad. We would never.
Speaker 3: Play that, Okay.
Speaker 2: But yeah, for the most part, the rest are pretty great.
Speaker 8: And the fans are so funny because if they know our music, they know it and so watching them sing all the lyrics at that last concert was just.
Speaker 2: Like, Wow, you know this better than I do. Oh, crazy.
Speaker 5: So I've seen episodes of California Dreams. I haven't seen them all, but was there a new song every episode?
Speaker 2: Pretty don close.
Speaker 8: We did seventy five episodes, so there couldn't have been one every episode, but I would say every other.
Speaker 2: I mean based on the.
Speaker 4: Map, yeah, geez.
Speaker 2: So we would go in.
Speaker 8: The band would go in like an hour early on blocking days specifically and go over the music because we would oftentimes just be hearing it because if it was one person recording it, they would just go to the studio right, So we would all hear it the first time on set and then just kind of get to know it.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Do you have your lyrics memorized or do you have to use a teleproger?
Speaker 2: You know, I have all mind memories.
Speaker 8: In fact, I have mind memorized Jenny's memorize because I was literally going like this part of the concert telling her so of her lyrics, and William got sick and couldn't do the one.
Speaker 2: I did his rap, Like I kind of know everybody's.
Speaker 3: Oh so funny awesome.
Speaker 7: I mean you talking about the audience knowing all the words. The show is not even the streaming why why is it not possible to stream California Dreams.
Speaker 8: So the only thing that makes sense, because it does not make sense, especially for Peacock not to have it.
Speaker 2: That's where we were. Yes, the only thing that I can think of is there is some sort of music.
Speaker 4: Has to be, has to be, the licensing has to be.
Speaker 8: And that makes sense to me because when they remastered bay Watch two hundred episodes, they had to go in and redo all the music on Baywatch. So that's the only thing I can think of. It's the only thing that makes sense. I have gotten zero answers from anybody. But that's what makes sense to me, is that somebody else music and they're not.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 5: Somebody, some other company owned the music, which he'll pay for the show. So the show is owned by somewhere in The music has to be. You're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: It's got to be too easy to stream the show.
Speaker 4: And Saved by the Bell is out there, right, you can stream Save by the Bell.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I'm saying. We you know, we were on their network for five years. There's no reason.
Speaker 4: You're right, it's got to be. The music has to be, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll see what they next time?
Speaker 3: Will you cover how do you talk to an angel?
Speaker 2: For us? You sure can would sing that so well?
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, I'm sure. Well I'm gonna be in your next concert.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna you're just gonna hear dead silence and you just can't hear me go sing into the tube though, too.
Speaker 2: Oh there.
Speaker 7: So I wanted to talk to you about Baywatch. You had appeared as many characters on that show over the years, but eventually, for seasons eight and nine, you became a head lifeguard.
Speaker 3: April Gaminsky. Am I saying that right?
Speaker 2: Correct? Good job?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: Who I found this online and tell me if I get it wrong. Suffered a mental breakdown after a pregnant woman's husband drowns.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was a good episode.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well was that and the steroid use?
Speaker 8: No, no, that I totally forgot about that episode. But yeah I had to cry in the shower and Carmen Electric was consoling me.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah wait, I'm sorry. I need to stop you again real quick. You did a scene where car An.
Speaker 5: Electra Is is consoling you in the shower.
Speaker 2: Shower. Yeah, so now you'll watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just such a stream.
Speaker 1: Where's stream?
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, We're all right, you got it?
Speaker 3: Hello, they were in the red bathing suits in the shower.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I've never seen an episode of Baywatch in my life. California drums, Yes, but I haven't seen an episode of Baywatch in my life.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you might be one of the only people.
Speaker 7: Was there an insane amount of pressure to stay in shape for that kind of show?
Speaker 8: Looking back, yes, I was kind of naive to it because I was then like I am now, I just don't work.
Speaker 2: Out very well.
Speaker 8: But yeah, looking back, I realized, oh, yeah, that was I thought. I look back and I thought I was fat on the show. It's just fine, I'm sorry. At the time, I thought I was right and to look like that in a red swimsuit again. But no, there clearly was a lot of pressure just by the women that were around you. And then I know that there was limitations on craft service, so clearly people had problems. And I remember I was on the show the first time when I was thirteen, so thirteen years old, and I remember saying to Erica Lenyak how beautiful she was and how I loved her body, like the thirteen I think of my thirteen year old or twelve year old was soon to be thirteen, and like I was, I was absorbed with that and looking at that, looking like that, and it's crazy, crazy to think. And there was clauses in our contract that said we couldn't gain any weight. I do remember that, couldn't make any physical changes really at all. And there were some women that struggled with that.
Speaker 4: So well, yeah, because they're human.
Speaker 3: I mean, my god, right, oh, I know, I know it's we got to.
Speaker 5: Talk to you about how we looked her, about our hair, stuff like that, but there was I mean, I can speak for myself. There's no clause in my contract about how I looked. I mean, I can certainly say.
Speaker 2: That though every week.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean I will say we all had, without realizing it necessarily, we all had morality contracts.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, there were there were.
Speaker 7: There's morality clauses in our that if we ever did something maybe illegal, or.
Speaker 4: Something arrested or got arrested or did.
Speaker 7: Something something that they could say, you are no longer a good representation for our company and we can let you go.
Speaker 8: So that makes sense though, Yeah, yeah, weren't you ABC Family?
Speaker 2: You weres family, right, we were ABC? Yeah, yeah, so that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes.
Speaker 7: What was it like behind the scenes being such a fixture of Americana and dealing with egos and actors who at times were larger than life.
Speaker 2: Again, looking back, it was crazy. I just remember.
Speaker 8: I remember my husband coming down to the set in our I think we had a Honda Civic maybe maybe a Honda Accord.
Speaker 2: And he parks it next to my trailer and then incomes Nick. He's six in his Ferrari next dots and there's like.
Speaker 3: Really, could you pop somewhere else else?
Speaker 2: But no?
Speaker 8: And then I do remember too the stories that Carmen used to tell.
Speaker 2: We would all just sit around and look at her like.
Speaker 8: Wow, You've lived the greatest life, you know, And so yeah, I looking back, it's crazy how much went on on that show. And I was disliked by a couple of cast members because I was always positive and happy and just kind of my mom.
Speaker 2: And I remember being.
Speaker 8: Told to sit, dare you my perky aa you know down?
Speaker 2: And I was like okay, and I just kept smiling, like what am I going to do? You know?
Speaker 8: So there was a lot of egos, a lot of you know, especially my first year because there were I want to say, twelve castmates.
Speaker 2: And then my second year I made the cut.
Speaker 8: The Baywatch blood Bath they called it because it was just it went down to just me and then two other girls came on.
Speaker 2: So that was but the first year, lots of personalities.
Speaker 4: The bay Watch Bloodbath.
Speaker 2: They called it a.
Speaker 1: Wow and then how much in the show lasted one more year and they moved.
Speaker 2: They moved to Hawaii, and that was kind of my way to get out.
Speaker 8: I thought in my head, I thought the show was going to be done because Hasselhoff was leaving, so I got out on my contract.
Speaker 5: Was this around the Baywatch night's time. They tried that for a while too.
Speaker 2: That was during our show.
Speaker 8: That was yeah, So that was yeah, my seasons they were filming Baywatch Nights at the same time.
Speaker 3: Do your kids watch Baywatch?
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 8: There's luckily my character was wholesome and easy, you know, nothing crazy to watch, so yeah, they've seen it.
Speaker 2: They've all seen it, and it's funny.
Speaker 8: Streams now, at least on our Samsung TV, there's a whole channel devoted to Baywatch.
Speaker 2: So even I will turn it on and be like is this my season and all? You know?
Speaker 8: And because I was four different characters on that show, I spent one night going through every episode trying to find my old episodes.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I don't suggest that that's a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Wait, so you're four different characters on Baywatch.
Speaker 5: You're essentially three different characters on Boy is four on one show.
Speaker 4: The most you've ever done is Baywatch? Yeah, okay, I just looked at it.
Speaker 8: I looked at it at that as a positive thing. They must have really sure be back on these things.
Speaker 7: Exactly, absolutely, And Baywatch appears to be finding itself back in pop culture with Nicole Eggert and Jeremy Jackson's documentary that You Appear in after Baywatch Moment in the Sun, as well as a reboot being developed for Fox by a former Boy Meets World writer, actually Laura Olsen and Pamela Anderson making a big comeback in the upcoming Naked Gun reboot.
Speaker 3: Is there room for Baywatch in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 8: And I remember we there was oh gosh, we're talking twenty twelve. We all got together and tried to come up with some sortain my guy, some sort of scenarios we could all reunite, and we came up with a concept called the B Team, and we talked about it literally yesterday, I kid you not on text, going we re bring out the B Team Now that all this stuff is shotter.
Speaker 2: Stuff, I'm like, I don't see why not.
Speaker 8: We're only twelve years older now, but sure, really be the B Team?
Speaker 3: What is the documentary like?
Speaker 2: So, you know, Bless their hearts.
Speaker 8: They started very small and it was going to be just like a one episode. They talked I was one of the first ones they talked to, and there was maybe five or six of us, and then he went on for the last four years and ended up interviewing everyone, including Pam, including Hastle. He did not get Jason, but they they made it this huge thing. So now it's a four parter. My part is this small because I'm just I think in the first one. But it's really cool. It's just behind the scenes of everything more so than just they watch but everything nineties because people really connect to that still and the culture around it.
Speaker 2: And Pam was just you know, larger than life personality. So it was a man, yeah, yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 8: And I haven't even seen it yet, but I think I think that it airs the twenty eighth if I'm not mistaken of this month great.
Speaker 7: And finally, while watching these Boy Meets World episodes and seeing young Kelly on screen thirty years ago, if you could say one thing to her, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Wow? I guess it would just be to.
Speaker 8: You know, just know that everything that I manifested for my life happens, and that because I always always wanted to be a wife, a mother, and here I am, and that the business will always be there, and so it's okay to take a break, which is essentially what I've done. So yeah, because in the moment you're like, oh, I have to make the money, I have to do this, I have to work. I have to and no, no, I've been very well taken care of and things have gone the way they're supposed to.
Speaker 4: So oh that's great.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for spending your time with us today, Kelly. It's so great to see you be reunited, see your smiling face. We will look forward to seeing you at another California Dreams Live show, hopefully someone else under.
Speaker 2: Just for you, guys, do.
Speaker 1: You like a slow acoustic version for me? She's done at the piano and like a really sad surfer version.
Speaker 2: Because she would.
Speaker 1: Still be terrible.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Kelly, thank you for joining us. Always so great to see you.
Speaker 2: For having me, You guys, and all you as well.
Speaker 7: You and your family as well. Bry I do remember so much that she was such a it's funny that she talked about it on Baywatch, that annoying people. I remember her being the most positive, upbeat.
Speaker 5: Always a smile on her face, hard worker, never late, never missed a mark, never missed the line.
Speaker 4: She was just Yeah, she was really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah so crazy guys. Should we should we start a band?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 5: I want to play the I want to play the cowbell taking the Will Ferrell parts world.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we'll get another singer.
Speaker 3: Writer can play the piano, the piano.
Speaker 4: You play the piano before all of our live shows.
Speaker 3: They're nice, you can like, actually you can play the piano.
Speaker 1: Figuring it out?
Speaker 4: What are you going to do, Danielle.
Speaker 3: All sing, all sing?
Speaker 7: I know, yeah, it's not gonna be great, but you know it'll it'll, it'll pass.
Speaker 5: I want to play the Glockenspiel. It's gonna We're gonna be a piano Glockenspiel trio.
Speaker 4: That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 9: Okay, what are we calling ourselves? H we'll brain start Shady melons. I like the shady melons.
Speaker 4: Shady melons isn't bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good. All right.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com and we have merch.
Speaker 4: How do you talk to some now? No? Sorry, y'all.
Speaker 7: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Sudbach, producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at podmets World Show, or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.