Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The twenty twenty four NFL Draft is complete. The Ravens made nine picks over the course of the weekend, and on Saturday, they kicked things off with wide receiver Davantes Walker in the fourth round. Before we get to that conversation with Davantes that he had with the local media, let's go to GM Eric Tacosta, head coach John Harbaugh and Director of player Personnel David Blackburn as they recapped drafts weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll just briefly run down all these guys. We talked about Nate, and we talked about Roger and Adisa. Today with tz, we had six or seven names of guys that we were hoping to have a chance to select with our first fourth round pick, and we got them. Tes was one of those guys, and then fortunately TJ. Tampa was another one of those guys that when we started the day we thought if those guys were there, didn't necessarily expect they would be there, but very excited with both those guys. But as you get really a vertical receiver size and speed, you know, in some ways reminds me of a Tory Smith type of player. An outside, take the top off vertical threat with good size and phenomenal kid excellent jumping ability. TJ is a guy that, quite honestly, we would have taken on the second day of the draft as a press corner. Long just a guy that you know, we think really fits what we do very very well. Rashen is a running back that we've really liked since really the fall. Excited about him. Had a chance to see him at the Senior Bowl before he got hurt, and was very very impressive to us as a guy that can run the ball, pass protect, and also catch the ball. Devins a quarterback that we see as a viable backup over time. T Martin, we gave him a project to basically come back to us and tell us who we thought, you know, his favorite backup type quarterbacks in this year's draft class, and he came back with Devin as one of his very top guys. So that was exciting for us to take a quarterback. It's been a few years since we've done that. Nick Samak just a gritty, big ten offensive lineman, a very good center, a very athletic guy, stays on his blocks, good sustainability, very very very intelligent, and we think, you know a guy that can back up Tyler and also hopefully work in as a guard and develop and be a swing guy for us. And then finally Sanusi non combine guy. Typically we don't draft a lot of non combine players, but with Sanousie it kind of harkens back to Haruki Nakamura who we drafted, who was a non combined guy back in the day. Sanusi is a guy that does a lot of things well, a tough player. I think he's got good ball skills, should play on special teams. He's a guy that you know, David can talk more about. Some of the scouts really liked him, and Doug Mallory really liked him as well and had a chance to come here to Baltimore and visit with us. So overall, I think it was a great day, great weekend. And we'll take questions.
Speaker 3: Eric, when you're looking at the center in the Cuth round and we had an injury. If you go out, do you think he'll be limited it at all? In you know the spring soft or even had into other workout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he'll be limited in a short term. I think as we get into May I think he'll be full strength. I mean I asked him on the phone, how is he doing, and he said, I'm fine, I'm healthy. We'll probably break him in slowly, but you know, offensive lineman, tough guy mentality, we expect him out to pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Eric were you were you disappointed at all that the board kind of maybe didn't.
Speaker 4: Break your way to get a guy to come in and compete for one of the open doors at guard.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean we kind of assessed the board and you know, in the fourth round there was probably a couple opportunities to maybe get somebody. Quite honestly, you know, looking at Tez and looking at TJ. You know, we kind of knew when we had a chance to select those guys that we might miss out on a you know, maybe one of the better guards available on the third day that'd being the case. You know, we drafted a couple of guards last year that we feel really good about. And we saw Ben Cleveland, we saw his his growth last year as a player. We were excited about Andrew who's coming off the injury. So you know, I think we have some viable guys to compete, and like I said, I think Nick Samak has a chance to work in there as well, and we've got some other veteran guys that we think have a chance as well. So I'm excited about the group overall. And you know, I don't have any Honestly, I don't feel too bad about it, just because of the type of guys we got in the fourth and fifth round.
Speaker 5: Eric with TJ.
Speaker 6: I mean, a lot of people haven't projected second round, and I was kind of go to things like, why would you why do you think he you know, fell so suddenly, because it seemed like maybe worth thinking he was could be.
Speaker 3: Drafting much er.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I can't speak to other teams. We really liked him, and you know, honestly, you know, we we we've doubled up on positions before probably four or five times, and it's worked out well for us. And you know, honestly, we would have taken him a lot higher. Have we not taken Nate, I would have to say. So, you know, he didn't necessarily have a great forty time. He had the big big twelve pro dae. Yeah, he did not run at the combine, so you know that might have hurt him a little bit. But you know, for us like you're looking at him. You know, we see the length, we see the size, we see the leaping ability, his ability to play the football. He's a tough guy. He tackles well. We're excited. We think he's gonna have a chip on his shoulder and play well.
Speaker 7: Eric, do you kind of view Rashen and Olie a little bit as like this year to keep Mitchell less since they you know, he can maybe come in contributed way. Guy who operates in space has you know, a lot speed, kind of out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right. You know, he's an explosive guy. I think he runs hard, he finishes his runs, he catches the ball well, he can run routes. He's a good pass protector. And like I said, at the senior ball he was a guy that I noticed very quickly and he got hurt. But during the week in practice he was very, very explosive, and I think we all took note and we had him visit, you know, a few weeks ago. He's an interesting kid. He's got a great background other than the fact that he's from Cleveland, of course, but he is a great background, and I think he's gonna be a good player for US. John I know at one of his meetings you've said that Josh Johnson would be the backup quarterback drafting Devin Larry, does that change anything?
Speaker 8: Will you be computing for that spot?
Speaker 9: Josh will be the backup quarterback, and I think Devon will develop. You know, he'll probably be the third quarterback this year somewhere in fashion growing to the job as we go.
Speaker 8: Question for David or Ara, I mean Ali.
Speaker 10: And Leary, guys who have talents within Ali's fall.
Speaker 7: Because of the fumbles eleven fumbles and.
Speaker 10: There's college career the last two years, and then Clary with I think twelve interceptions last year. What are the skills that stand out to you? They you know, you guys think that you can make these players less.
Speaker 4: Turnoff or from and kind of harness the pure abilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I talked about the skills with Rashine. You know, he's an explosive player. I think one of the reasons that Rashine, if you say he fell, I mean he fell, was he heard his bicep. You know, so that's probably one of the reasons. But when we evaluate running backs, you know, we're looking for specific things and you know, certainly, ball security is one of those things. But this is an explosive guy, very shifty, good vision, he runs hard, all those different things as far as Devin goes, you know, I think T Martin does an excellent job of evaluating. And he thinks he's a natural thrower. He thinks he's an accurate passer. He loves the kid, he thinks he's got the right mentality to come in and compete and improve. And so you know, for me, it's it's similar to how I feel about kickers. You know who better to evaluate quarterbacks than a quarterback a quarterback coach who played in the league. You know who better to evaluate kickers than a kicking coach. And so I think he did a phenomenal job. And he's very very excited about Devon and so wait.
Speaker 1: He didd When you look at Devontes, just kind of what stands up to you about his game outageans.
Speaker 11: This is a vertical explosiveness, ability to get behind coverage, take the top off the defense, make big plays.
Speaker 8: He is a threat.
Speaker 11: And he also does it at at his size. I mean, he's not a small guy and he doesn't play small downfield. He can put pressure on the defense and he's able to make some contested catches downfield, and I think that bodes well.
Speaker 8: For our offense and our quarter Beck.
Speaker 11: He didn't really have the the week that he wanted at Mobile during the Singer Bowl, but Pro Day was great.
Speaker 12: Combine was great.
Speaker 11: The thing I really like most about him is just he's encountered some athletic adversity in his life and he's overcome. And he's a really mentally tough kid as well as physically tough, and he works at his craft and he's a great teammate. So outside of those physical traits that he has, he's got a lot of intangibles as well.
Speaker 13: Eric.
Speaker 3: I know there's some drafts where you will be like, you know, certain picks that you're hoping and they're not not there. You feel like this year with it seems like value, you know where you're getting.
Speaker 5: Do you feel overall with.
Speaker 6: This draft class that you got pretty exceptionable value overall?
Speaker 2: I do. I think this was one year that the board, you know, you'll often hear me say, oh man, we had a chance, we missed out on some guys, but you know, this year we were patient, and the board more often than not not in every single case, but the best player was at a position of need, and so we basically started just checking off boxes, working our way down through each pick, and we were able to just kind of like just cross them off, cross them off, cross them off with a really good player. So from that standpoint, I think it was it was good. It was really good. And I think the coaches and the scouts we did a good job communicating. And so one of the things we have is a dialogue throughout the draft this guy or that guy, and what do we think, how does this guy fit? How does that guy fit? You know, you might have two players at different positions and they're great of the same, and you know, you're trying to figure out, like how do you split hairs between these two players? And you do it with talking to your coaches. You do it looking at the analytics, but you also do it looking at the players that you might get in the next round or the or you know, moving back, and what does that pool of players look like at those positions. So this year I think it worked out extremely well.
Speaker 3: That's going off of that. Do you think that we're able.
Speaker 6: To answer or check off your off season to be in the way you expected to all.
Speaker 14: The things that you thought could be answers here.
Speaker 8: I like you were able to answer that well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you can always do better in different ways. I mean, so you know, we're not finished for sure. I'm not gonna sit up here today and say, oh, the team is set. We've got this great team. We have a lot of work to do and there's a lot of different ways.
Speaker 8: To do that.
Speaker 2: We'll have a lot of opportunities between now in September to build the team. I do think that. Again, I'll credit the scouts and the coaches and John and Steve and everybody for the work they put in putting us in position to have a good draft, to get players that we like. And I know some of these guys won't be as good as we think they're gonna be. But I know some of these guys will be better than we think they're gonna be. And that's exciting and that's just the nature of the draft.
Speaker 4: That's okay, John, how do you see number three safety role as far as what do you kind of consider internal options?
Speaker 5: I know or Darius Washington's.
Speaker 12: Played a lot of nickel, and I know you drafted came but do you see that as a potential area where you may need a few.
Speaker 9: More bodies possibly. I know Eric's not going to rest. I mean, I think Eric is pretty much proven that he's going to be looking for guys, you know, twenty four to seven all three and sixty five days a year. So but those those two guys are good options. I thought, you know, our Darius is really a good player, and just a matter of him staying healthy and getting some time on task and he can play safety or Nickel can go outside and get you out. Very diverse player. I'm a big Ardarius fan. I think he's going to have a great year. And then so new Seat is a guy we were talking about right at the end. It's so much love between the scouts and the coaches. In some ways, you know, he's kind of similar to that guy from Iowa whose name will not be mentioned since he's playing in the division here, but we appreciate Geno and all he did for us, but kind of a similar kind of a pick a real heavy player, really productive player. So he's going to have every opportunity there than whoever else you know, Eric finds for us. We'll coach him up.
Speaker 5: So we'll see what.
Speaker 12: Happens, and we may have an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Just to add to that, we may have an opportunity in the next couple of hours to get some pretty good free agents at that position because players, talented players will see that we're not as deep at that position as we are at some other positions.
Speaker 3: Eric, since we're not gonna be able to talk next week unless we are adopt the way, are you what's your thoughts on picking up Rock?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we talk next week, I'll let you know. We'll have all We'll have an announcement probably in the next few days.
Speaker 8: I would think, have you made it determination yet or uh?
Speaker 2: You know what I learned from Ozzie never to make a decision until you have to, and that has served me well. And uh, I think it's smart usually to act that way.
Speaker 4: John Receiver And obviously it's gonna look very similar to last year without hoping h though from the guys running it back with zay Rashad Nelson, what are you kind of looking for in terms of internal improved meant for those guys to make that position and work anyway.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm excited about the wide receiver position. I'm looking forward to seeing this offense come together and we've been working. We've been working the personnel side of it, we've been working the scheme side of it. We've been working with the individual players developmentally. You put all those things together and you and you and you get out there and you start practicing and you get ready to play games. This is a very talented group, you know, and anybody that wants to challenge that bringing on, you know, you gotta you gotta line up and play against us, and we'll see if we don't have playmakers out there running around making plays. I'm personally very excited about this group.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 9: You know, obviously Tess is a great addition, and the guys that are already there are going to really have good seasons.
Speaker 12: So ready to go, people.
Speaker 8: What do you like about TJ.
Speaker 12: Tampus? It was sad and what sort of stands out about there?
Speaker 11: His athleticism at his size, he's long, he can flip his hips, he can change direction as well form a wide out. So I think there is some some built in, uh upside to him as a player. He just kind of plays a game smoothly. He doesn't look too stressed, He tackles well. Uh, he's a guy who's gonna compete. He'll run down on kicks and and and be a special teams guy for us. Good make up, good mentality. Uh, smart football player.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 11: They speak well, they speak highly of him at the school. So again, anytime you have a a size corner, you're always intrigued. But I think he's got the necessary movement skills at that size along with his length, uh, to give us something as a as a coverage player and then also be able to support the run.
Speaker 8: You had.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's many times were at the trades this year he didn't make a trade. Do you think uh he was if bother him at all? Do you think he was closed to.
Speaker 8: Make some trades?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 11: I don't think it really bothered him that much, as long as we got the player he wanted.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 11: I think he might have bothered Steve more than it bothered him. But uh, I think I think we were pretty content. You know that w the phone was ringing uh pretty regularly some parts of the uh of the draft, particularly on Day two. So uh, I.
Speaker 5: Think he's all right.
Speaker 8: I think I think he's happy.
Speaker 9: I mean, I mean, just follow up on that. There were lots of opportunities to make trades and uh, and probably because of the quality of the players that were there. But the players were more valuable than the trade and that's why we're so happy with the draft more.
Speaker 8: Eric, Obviously, you guys made nine picks this year's draft. Keep the projector that having eleven the next year's draft.
Speaker 5: Is that a comfortable number that you're comfortable with? Him?
Speaker 7: Is there you know, kind of a long term plan for just the.
Speaker 2: Cheering for ball with guys that free in Well, you know, we we uh, as I said before, we we lost some players. We lost some good players this year and it's now time to build back up again. And so you know, I like having math isn't great, but I guess it's twenty picks right in the next couple of years this year and next year. If it's a good draft next year, we'll probably have more than eleven picks, you know. And I won't know that until we start really getting into the meeting of the draft and looking at players. But you know, we need good young talent and we got to develop these guys and they got to play for us. And that's the reality that we find ourselves in. And so the draft is. You know, we say it, but it's critically important for a team that wants to stay relevant and have good players and have a good team and win games. You gotta have good young talent. So that's the mission. We'll get started up in a few weeks looking at spring scouting. Our scouts will be in and they'll start looking at players and we'll start the whole process over again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Johnny said that, we're you were willing to share which position or your assignment this season before the draft.
Speaker 12: You're willing to share what you were assignments. I was.
Speaker 9: I was given the corners. Yeah, I had the I had the edge of guys on defense. I had the offensive line. I had the offensive line all the offensive line positions. I had the wide receivers, and I had the running backs.
Speaker 12: So those are my jobs.
Speaker 5: Did I do?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 14: He did well.
Speaker 2: I mean I wanted him to do more, but he was always taking trips and things, leaving at four o'clock. I mean, he just he just you know, the season ending, he's like, I'm out of here, you know, And so it was a little frustrating on my on my end, but you know, we found a way to make it work.
Speaker 8: You were cleaning up day.
Speaker 12: I had a good yea.
Speaker 9: He had a good draft, had a good work speaks for itself.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Now let's go to wide receiver Davontes Walker out of UNC, who the Ravens picked at number picked thirteen. It congratulations just for you, you know, kind of in this moment. What's what are your thoughts about joining the Ravens. Is this the team that you felt like was connected to you through about this process and how you feel like you fit on this team in this offense.
Speaker 16: Yes, sir, When I when I was at the combine members Shiver coach, it was an instant connection, Like I felt that I felt it there.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm very excited to be a raven got a good, good.
Speaker 16: Organization, good history behind them, got a great quarterback in Lamar, and got a great offense and Derrick Henry and I'm just glad to be.
Speaker 5: A part of that.
Speaker 1: And just following up on that, what do you think about catching passes from Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, it's definitely an honor.
Speaker 16: I've been watching Lamar since he came out of high school, watching him at Louisville.
Speaker 5: I think he's a great football player.
Speaker 16: You know, he's somebody I wish I was on his team, and now that you know, that wish is coming true.
Speaker 5: So he's a great player.
Speaker 16: I love watching him, so looking forward to being on side of him.
Speaker 12: Let's go with Gianna and then Ryan Mink.
Speaker 5: Congratulations.
Speaker 16: I know you would have played against the Ravens first hund Nick Wigan.
Speaker 5: So what do you remember about that? What is it like to now be teammates with him? Yeah? He was. He was a very good player.
Speaker 16: Honestly, he probably the best player I've ever win against. He was like he was very you know, fluent, his technique, very fast. He was one of the few guys that was hit for hip with me. And I'm you know, I'm glad to be able to compete against against him every day. Going against him, it was a fun game. He's a great player, and you know, I'm looking forward to going against the Mari Dame practice.
Speaker 12: As welcome to Baltimore.
Speaker 14: Just wondering how how happy are you to have the n C double A behind you and not have to worry about that, and just how much of a distraction was that for you last year? I mean, he came back and put up big time numbers, displayed all that going on kind of in the background.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm very happy it's in the past. Glad.
Speaker 16: Uh, you know, glad they made finally made the right decision. At the time, I was just happy to be able to be on the field and show while I belonged on that power five level.
Speaker 5: So you know, it's no, it's no bad blood there with me or the n C A A.
Speaker 16: I'm just thankful they they made that decision and I was able to do what I had to do to get to this point.
Speaker 12: Let's go to jeffsoniback and then create the parks.
Speaker 13: Please, my apologies if I missed this. I signed down a bit late. But what was your involvement with the Ravens in the pre draft process and did you get the sense at any point that they would be one of the most likely teams to take you here one of the middle rounds?
Speaker 5: Mm hm.
Speaker 16: So I didn't really talk to him at the cerebol. I talked to him at the combine. It was a good conversation, good meeting. I didn't I really didn't have a thought about him after the combine because I didn't talk so much. But they did call me here and there through after combine. So it was funny my high school head coach, and he had a feeling they was gonna take me with a lot of things they've been hearing about.
Speaker 5: Like what they need and stuff like that. So the Ravens have been in the back of my mind a little bit.
Speaker 17: He did, how are you Your ability as a deep threat has been praised. I'm just curious from your perspective, what do you think. Some of the strengths of your game.
Speaker 5: Are definitely vertical threat.
Speaker 16: But I feel like like the speed because at the top of the round things like that, I feel like I'm very good aspect and running away from defenders. Still a little work at the top of the round, clean up steps and things like that, but I feel like releasing off the ball and you know, being a vertical threat. Those are the two, you know, strong points in my game.
Speaker 12: The Brian Whacker and then.
Speaker 18: Nick hey Tees, congratulations, thank you. Growing up, was there a receiver you tried to sort of emulate or or or favorite player you had grown up?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 16: Yeah, Ravens fans not gonna like it. But aj Green with somebody I love growing up. I love watching him. I kind of em try to emlate my game. After him, I locked him a little bit, like a big fast can make those contested catches, and like he just continued to get better every year he was in the league.
Speaker 5: So you know, I love watching him, even when he was at Georgia.
Speaker 19: So that A. J.
Speaker 5: Green was was that person for me.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: As welcome to Baltimore. Congratulations. We talked about the NCAA earlier.
Speaker 11: What did you take from that experience and do you think that that can did you learn anything from that experience and do you think.
Speaker 5: That's going to help you transition to the NFL.
Speaker 16: What I took from that is how much I cared, you know, how how much I cared about my teammates and relied on them. Without them, I probably wouldn't have got through that situation. And that helped me become a better teammate because that helped me wanted to stay around them while I wasn't playing things like that and shared him on while they was out there competing and things like that.
Speaker 5: So that's something something I learned about myself.
Speaker 16: And yeah, I learned how good of a teammate I was, And I feel like that's what I bring to to this organization.
Speaker 12: Go to Gianna and then Ryan Mink Again.
Speaker 17: I'm just curious what you already know about the wide receivers on the Ravens froster and how you feel like you fit in or add something different to the script.
Speaker 12: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Jay Flowers watched him at Boston College. He's a good piece there and working inside and outside. He's like the rock textanition of the room. I know Odell wasn't there no more, but he's one of the guys I watched growing up.
Speaker 5: When he was there. He was a good player.
Speaker 16: He's that good veteran piece for him. What's the guy name on the outside, came from Minnesota.
Speaker 5: I forgot his name, but he you say what yeah, Shot Bateman.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 16: He's a good player, big physical, holds down the outside. He's able to stretch the field and be that vertical piece for Baltimore.
Speaker 5: He's done some good things on tape.
Speaker 16: So this room there, it's just a lot of great pieces for Lamar, and I feel like with my skill set, I'll be able to add to.
Speaker 5: You know, add on to be you know, deadly weapon weapon down the line.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Tessa, I'm just wondering you talked about Lamar a little bit earlier. Just you know, is is he somebody that even looking from Afar you were just a big time fan of. And then second, you know Todd Monkins offense. You know you probably saw that that Georgia from Afar. Just your thoughts on joining an offense like that that likes to get the ball to playmakers, speed guys in space.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like Lamar.
Speaker 16: Been a huge fan of Lamar, Like he used to do you know, amazing things at Louisville.
Speaker 5: Uh like that he was.
Speaker 16: He was one of those guys you you want to be like, you want to go off and you know, do the same type of things he does.
Speaker 5: Like I said, he's just a great football player. He makes the game fun.
Speaker 16: And you know that offense Baltimore, they showcase a lot of you know, great things. You see players like you said with play Megan, players like Jay Fliers making big players down the field and like you said, he's big and trying to get his his playmakers ball get the ball in the end. I feel like, you know, I can I can be one of those guys to do that for this organization.
Speaker 12: We go to Kreta and then close it out with Jonas Shaeffer.
Speaker 17: Can you just walk me through the moment that you got the call for Baltimore.
Speaker 5: What was going through your head?
Speaker 17: What was it like on your and sharing that with your family.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I got the call as soon as he told me it was a Baltimore already, you know, I teared up, kind of broke down. It was a moment I've been waiting for since since I was four years old. Told my grandmother and mother, this is what I want to do. I wanted to play in the NFL. That's always been my wife. Football has always you know, kept me, you know, kept me level headed. So hearing those words that I'm gonna be a part of the NFL roster, it broke me down to tears. Family yelling background when I told him it was Baltimore. They was very excited. They know how rich this organization is. But when we see Baltimore every Sunday, you know, Baltimore as the history and winning, so this is this is a good organization to be a part of and things like that, and just very ready to get there.
Speaker 20: Hey, Donta's congratulations. Man, Quicken, do you have a preference for how we you know right about you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 20: You know, is it do you want Test, do you want davontees?
Speaker 5: Which everyone to comfortable? Which all doesn't matter to me?
Speaker 16: Me me personally, I do prefer Davante's because a lot of people do think my name is actually Test and they don't know my whole name.
Speaker 5: So I would say DeVante is me personally.
Speaker 16: But whichever one is comfortable for you, you can put Test or Davonte's.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter to me, Okay.
Speaker 20: And then secondly, uh, obviously the U n c H offense is, you know, a pretty vertical offense. I think people said that you know you your route treat was a lot of vertical stuff. I mean, do you feel like you have a more tools in your bag to have a more kind of diverse pattern of routes and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I definitely do.
Speaker 16: I feel like you and see, they did a good job, and you know, you love what we had all the best deep threat, so they try to keep me on those type of routes because that's where most most of my big plays came from.
Speaker 5: So but I feel like I do have a lot of other.
Speaker 16: Tools in the bag, a lot of other routes that I love running and getting get open on as well.
Speaker 5: So and I'm you know, that's something I'm I'm very eager and ready to showcase on this level.
Speaker 1: The Raves also got a cornerback in the first round TJ. Tampa, Iowa, stay who they took at number one thirty. Here's what he had to say when he met with the media.
Speaker 15: Hey, TJ, congratulations. Did you get any indication that when the Ravens were going to be on the clock that you were going to be there pick at that point?
Speaker 5: I don't know, sir.
Speaker 21: Just before I got the call, I really didn't have too much of an insight on where I was going my agent.
Speaker 8: I spoke to my agent a little bit.
Speaker 21: He kind of had a little bit to say to me, but I didn't know exactly.
Speaker 12: Right, Mick, Yeah, TJ.
Speaker 14: I think a lot of draft analysts had you as an early day two pick, even some in the first round, you know, and here you are in the fourth Just you know, what do you think kind of led to that? And does that kind of put a chip on your shoulder to prove wrong that a lot of teams missed out on a really good corner.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 21: They always said the draft is unpredictable, and of course I would I would have liked to go on earlier and it's definitely a tip of my shoulder from here on now for all the teams that skipped me and all the corners that went before me.
Speaker 8: And I'm gonna use that as a fuel every day.
Speaker 12: Go to Brian Whacker and then Garrett Downing.
Speaker 18: Hey, TJ, congrats. Some two things. First, what is what does the TJ stand for?
Speaker 5: Tampa?
Speaker 18: Junr is like, how did you how did you come up with with Tampa? You just wanted to go with Tampa Tampa.
Speaker 21: I mean it was just I mean I didn't come up with Sorry, you kind of grew up on it.
Speaker 18: And secondly, how do you think you'll fit into the Ravens scheme? Just based on what you know and what you've seen, I don't know how familiar you are.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'll fit in perfectly.
Speaker 21: I know the Ravens do a great job is developing corners and there's a big corner roll the Humphrey getting in to learn from him as much as I can, And yeah, they take a pride. Toughness is something that they take seriously. And then I feel like I'll fit perfectly.
Speaker 10: Hean TJ.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. Obviously, the Rivers took Nick Wiggins in the first round. I'm curious if you guys have any you know, relationships you get to know each other at all during the pre draft process, and what are your thoughts of teaming up with him here?
Speaker 21: Well, yeah, we were actually combine roommates, so I got to speak to him a lot. Then that's kind of a that's something crazy that happened. So yeah, I got to speak to him a lot.
Speaker 1: And was that just a random thing that you guys ended up being combat roommates?
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, we didn't know each other before that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then I guess just what kind of stands out to you about about his game and your thoughts on teaming up on the same defense.
Speaker 21: Yeah, he's a great corner. Of course, Pete is a big thing. He's a bahall hawk everything. I can't wait to learn from him and deal with him in practice.
Speaker 12: Go back to Jams and then Ryan again.
Speaker 5: Yeah with with t J.
Speaker 15: I mean, what was kind of you said your combine what was that experience like, I mean, do you have any stories from you and Nate being there together?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 21: You know, we really we don't get to talk too much because we're busy all day. The most I ever asked him is when he said in his alarm, So that's about the only thing we got to talk about.
Speaker 14: Yeah, TJ, can you just talk about what do you feel like are your strengths as a player?
Speaker 21: Definitely physicality, just with aspects of the game, if that's point of contact, getting off of blocks, making tackles, being a willing tackler, and just pressed, getting hands on, getting receivers out their routes.
Speaker 8: So Karita parks, she's she's on mute.
Speaker 19: Yeah, okay, sorry about that, TJ. You talked about having a chip on your shoulder. What message do you have for Ravens fans? You know, who are they getting?
Speaker 2: What can they expect?
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'll say that you're getting somebody that's gonna work hard every day. I've been at the bottom of a depth part before and I'm willing to work my way up again. And that's gonna be a tip of my shoulder every day. And I can't wait to get started. Excited to get started.
Speaker 12: Go to Cliff Brown and then Gianna.
Speaker 5: Yeah, TJ.
Speaker 12: Congratulations.
Speaker 22: Just curious do you have any relationship with Charlie Kohler from our state connection and also, do you know any other Ravens And what do you know about you know, the Ravens. I guess culture and tradition here in Baltimore.
Speaker 5: Charlie, we're cool.
Speaker 8: Of course we don't.
Speaker 21: We don't talk like a lot, but you know, when we see each other, it's always a good conversation catching up. And Yeah, the Ravens they're big on pride and toughness throughout all their positions, and they're they're gonna compete with you no matter what the whole game. So this is a this is the organization that I would love to play for.
Speaker 5: Congratulations.
Speaker 16: I know you were saying you weren't super excepting the Ravens specifically.
Speaker 5: So when they called you, what was that call like? Is who did you get to talk to? And what did they tell you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's something that's going on.
Speaker 21: It's just the real just getting that call and getting able to talk to the defensive coordinator and just hearing everybody and how they were excited to have me, and that's a good hearing coming from them and just being even more excited to get started.
Speaker 12: It's good to Kyle Phoenix and then we'll close it out with Ryan mink adj. Congratulations.
Speaker 23: Just read that after you committed to Iowa State that Kirby Smart from Georgia was making a big push to sign you to Georgia after seeing you at a seven on seven trim to me, just you talk about why your main loyal to Iowa State and it's that kind of a big value of yours and what's that kind of mean to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 21: So I trusted in Coach Campbell and the whole organization from day one, and they trusted in me from day one.
Speaker 8: And I feel like I had chances to leave.
Speaker 21: I never wanted to because they believed in me and they stay true to there were every step of the way, and so I couldn't. I couldn't never like leave them. And I love everybody there and I love the fans, the culture and everybody.
Speaker 14: Yeah, TJ, I'm just curious, what was your day like yesterday as you were waiting for the pick? What was going through your mind as you went to bed yesterday? And how tough was that weight this whole time?
Speaker 21: Yeah, it's always tough, just sitting there just patiently waiting and for your name to get called and then it doesn't.
Speaker 8: You can't think too heavily on it. You can't drift the.
Speaker 21: Way anywhere, but just got to stay locked in and just know that your name is gonna get called and be ready whenever you get there.
Speaker 1: In the sixth round, the Ravens took a backup quarterback Devin Leary out of Kentucky. Also played at NC State earlier in his career. Here's what he had to say during a zoom call with local reporters. Hey, Devin, congratulations, we'll welcome to Baltimore. Just which big picture just cut? What's your reaction to the to the pick and your thoughts on joining the room? That, of course has Lamar Jackson man.
Speaker 24: The blessing a blessing, I mean, honestly completely.
Speaker 5: Took by surprise.
Speaker 24: I talked to Coach Martin at the combine, had an awesome conversation, got the talk ball with him, and you know, I just remember telling him, Coach, anything I could do to help this team is why I want to be a part of the Ravens. And to get that call and kind of turn my whole world around was truly a dream come.
Speaker 14: True, all right, Ryan Mink, Yeah, Devin, just your thoughts about Lamar Jackson, I mean, playing with him specifically, Uh, just what's going through your mind?
Speaker 5: Man? A dog, A dog.
Speaker 24: He's someone you know when I when I committed to Anti State out of high school, was someone that you know, obviously I followed. And being able to play in the ACC and turn on film in the past see and him carve up defenses really an awesome opportunity for me to come in and meet him and you know, learn behind him and obviously just help as much as I can to that quarterback room.
Speaker 5: To bring value.
Speaker 17: Jameson Hensley, Yeah, was.
Speaker 15: There any point on the draft process did you think, Okay, if the Ravens you know, have a picky in you in this draft, that I might end up there.
Speaker 24: Yeah, definitely. Mean, like I said, I had great conversations with coach Martin. I know, I left a really really good impression with him, and you know, I knew they were in the market for quarterback.
Speaker 5: I didn't necessarily know.
Speaker 24: When or you know, where they were going to take a pick, but I was just really honored and blessed that it was me.
Speaker 23: Kyle Phoenix, Hey, congratulations, Devin. Can you just talk a little bit about I was reading your bio it said that you never want to go through Navy Seal slash marine training. Can you just talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Yeah, So when I was at NC State, coach Dorian put us through a trial of three days former Navy Seals and you know, Marine Corps training of five am up. Rarely everyone's dressed the same. You know, we were swimming in pools at five am with guys screaming in our faces, and ultimately it was it was a you know, it was for our team to have emerging leaders, and me being a young guy obviously helped me out a ton, But when it came to the those activities, I don't think I could do what those guys do on a daily basis, right Mink.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Devin, I'm curious after your transfer to Kentucky and playing in Liam Cohen's you know, kind of pro style offense, how that adjustment you felt like went for you. What did that How did that grow you as a player and a quarterback.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I mean it was an awesome opportunity, you know, to learn from coach Cohen, who's now in the NFL with the Buccaneers, to playing a whole different system of what I wasn't used to in the past, getting under center, calm plays in the huddle.
Speaker 5: You know, ultimately I wish.
Speaker 24: We won a lot more games, but from a developmental standpoint, you know, it is the best thing I could have done to you know, put my best foot forward in the NFL and you know, bring what I can to the table to the Ravens.
Speaker 12: Go back to Kyle Phoenix.
Speaker 23: Yeah, Devin, what are just some of your strengths that you know the Ravens are getting and what are some things that you're hoping to work on with Martin and the coaching staff as well.
Speaker 24: Yes, I think you know, strength for me is just pure arm talent. You know, I truly truly believe that, you know, I throw the football, you know, not like many people in this world, something that you know, I prid myself on being able to fit the football in the tight windows and then obviously just getting around the other quarterbacks, learning from them, adapt into the NFL style, learning from coach Martin, and like I said from the beginning, you know, I want to help this team win any any way possible that I can, you know, fit myself into that room, fit my role into the team that's going to help us win more games.
Speaker 5: That's my overall goal.
Speaker 1: Evin Richardson, Welcome to the Baltimore Devin. You mentioned, of course, I know it's your dream to play in the NFL.
Speaker 7: But what you mentioned that you also would like to coach high school?
Speaker 5: Why is that? Yeah?
Speaker 24: I think, you know, in my life, when I look back at the coaches that have had the most impact on me, we're my high school coaches, because you know, coming in as a freshman, you know, not many times do you immediately know you can play college football or immediately know you can eventually become an NFL football player. And it was those coaches and mentors that I came across when I was fourteen, fifteen years old that you know, kind of opened up the light in my eyes to you know, if you have a goal in mind or a dream that you want to chase, you know, go after it. And one day I want to become that type of you know, mentor or someone for a young guy to look up to.
Speaker 1: You're listening to The Raven's Press Pass podcast. If you want a full breakdown on everything from Drafts weekend, head over to the Lounge podcast feed where Ian making I will break it all down for you. Give you our thoughts on this draft class and what it means for this team moving forward. Make sure you leave a rating and a review, and we will talk with you again soon