Speaker 1: There we go. We're getting better.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm sitting there playing with buttons and then I pop up, I'm great, How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great, Thanks for doing this. I'm excited to meet you.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you too.
Speaker 2: We are, I believe of the same generation. I came up watching your comedy, so I was super excited when you agreed to come on.
Speaker 1: All right, good good?
Speaker 2: Does anyone call you Scott? What do your friends call you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, my my grandmother still called me carrat Top. It was odd, but yes, mostly my friends. She say this is my grandson, Cara Top, and I'd say it's it's Scott's grandma. Never she never, she never got past that. But yeah, most most people friendly people. I know I'm with Scott.
Speaker 2: Yes, they do.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it used to be, you know, being in the before the internet was I would say Scott on the streak. You'd be like, oh, they must know me, they must be friends. And now it's like, oh they looked yuh kind of things.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so funny. Right, Okay, So do you like that the name carrat Tops stuck or is it like has it been a blessing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like a blessing and a curse. I mean, yeah, because I could have had Queen Latifa, but I missed that opportunity, so I yeah, I know. I mean it's been my blessing. It works fine for me. I feel kind of you know, I've had it so long now the monikers, so I don't quite think anything different, Like if I had a choice to do it better, cooler one would I. I don't know. But the carrot top's good. Everybody brings me, you know, everyone with carrots, you know, you know, just having Easter like dinner. I had to bring a carrot cake and I said, I get it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is your holiday. You just passed your big holiday.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I didn't even think of that. Okay, wow, I didn't either.
Speaker 1: So they brought the cake and I said, oh, another caro cake? Thank you? Said like it's funny, right, yeah, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's not that original. That's funny. Well, first of all, where do you live? You live in Vegas or you just go there for your I work.
Speaker 1: In Vegas and I have a house in Florida, so I go back and forth. But I'm mostly of my time is spent in Vegas because I work, you know, six nights a week, so most of the time is spent here in Vegas. But then on my holidays I go to Florida.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I just I was talking to Flavor, Flavor of all people who lives in Vegas, and I was thinking, now, do you see a lot of people you know in Vegas? Is it like a different version of la where you're just seeing like famous people.
Speaker 1: I know Flavor real well, he's always had the show, he comes out, he hangs out. I always see him around. Yeah, we kind of you know, there's a little camaraderie among Vegas people. You know, I gotta get a bite to eat with Chris Angel or David Coppfield or whatnot.
Speaker 2: But there is a whole world though, there's like a like a like a subculture there of just like all these like a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of culture here. I mean not not not tremendous amounts, but you know, the Vegas community is cool and when everyone knows each other. It's a small town, especially all the entertainers, you know, we all know each other. So it's just fun.
Speaker 2: And you've been doing this for seventeen years in Vegas, this gig, like, how have you thought of stopping? Does it? Does it? Does it keep evolving? Like what's that experience?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the evolution is really the key to the whole show. I mean, and it's been that's only eighteen at the Luxe. Or prior to that, there was teneth the Mgum Grand and Wanted Ballet, so almost thirty almost thirty years in Vegas. But yeah, the show is definitely it's more fit. Seems to be more fun now for me than everyone was prior, just because they you know, I asked George Carnand this one time, I said, you know, what's it like to you know, finally get it, you know, to get it? And he said get what I said? You know, you know, you got your job, you got what you're doing. You get up there now it's more fun And he said, I ain't got nothing. I'm always working. And I that was a question I asked in like twenty years ago, and I he's right, I mean I don't. I mean, I think I got the stage thing down more. But the idea of keeping the show fresh and keeping it going for all these years, more and more you got to evolve and make you know, new jokes, new contents. Always in reinventing yourself in the show, and I do it nightly.
Speaker 2: Like challenging yourself, you have to feel a little bit of pain and like be a little free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, I change it almost every night. Almost every night there's one even if it's one joke or one reference or one you know, when I'm talking about Tyson getting in the ring, when anything topical, it immediately goes into the show.
Speaker 2: Interesting because you could coast because it's not the same people. But as an artist, I want to like challenge yourself and just like do it differently. I've always found that interesting. I did stand up comedy one night in New York City at the New York Comedy Club, and I've always found it interesting that a comedian will go, you know, downstairs at the comedy seller and do with the act and then go upstairs next door, and it sought sort of sounds like the same act. And I've always wondered if anybody feels, I don't know, not like like a fraudulents about it. For example, you'll hear like Amy Schumer's on the Tonight Show and she's saying something and you but you just happen to have seen her show and it sounds like it's new when she's saying it to him, like it's something she just thought of, right, But so like, does anyone feel like Emperor has no close ish about that experience, because for me, I would feel weird. I feel weird when someone I'm sitting with hear me tell the same story to two people and it's not even like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and that comes. That does happen with comedy a lot. And that's why I think the process of them writing and keeping the show current fresh is one. That's one way to do it. And secondly, when I do shows like The Tonight Show and whatever shows now exist, you know, when I would do them, I couldn't do repeat stuff that I had already done in the show prior. So that was always a challenge too. It's supposed to something like me that did a lot of television, so I would always have to churn out news stuff because when they called, they said, you know, you want to do a set. I can't do the same set. So that would force me.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, they want exclusive content, that's a thing they asked what they want exclusive on?
Speaker 1: Their particular show. If I had done it on Jay Leno, they said, we just saw you do it on Jay. We don't want you to sorry, not in Jay. It wouldn't it wouldn't matter if you didn't get just their show. They didn't want to come back because I do this show a lot, so what they want to do. So but even my show here, like last night, I had a wonderful crowd. I got done and some people folks came back and they had seen the show exactly a year ago because it was her birthday. And she said, oh my god, the show has changed so much, like it changed so much, it is so much new. And I thought, that's the favorite thing to hear, you know from an audience members that want it's good and you to be good. But but you know that there is a lot of change and that people love that, like, well almost the whole show is new, like so they can and it's still good.
Speaker 2: It's good then, it's good now it's good different.
Speaker 1: Right, So it wouldn't And she even said it wouldn't have been like even if you had done the same show I'd seen, it would have been funny. But and you Shure goes by sofa, I wouldn't have remembered it. So there's popped ups and downs of that too. I mean a lot of times show would moves fast, so they don't have time to remember. I don't even remember what beck I've done sometimes.
Speaker 2: Now, question because we're talking about like people who get Imposta or Emperor. Do you like think about if you think you're funny? Is it more of like a honed craft? Like are some people just funny on stage but they're not actually funny? Like what determines in your mind who you think is funny? Is it different? Is it all different styles? Because I know that I was reading that like your stereotypical style what people would say of yours is that you use props or like Kevin Neilan tells one long story or Jerry steinfeldt aggravated. Like, so what determines if someone's really funny? Because I've met stand ups that don't seem funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what I mean, I know a lot of them that aren't. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, it definitely comes down to I don't know that I have friends in the business that I have been doing for a long time, and I'm always dumbfounded. I don't necessarily find them phony, but the crowd must, the people that book them must. I find things differently funny. And you mentioned the styles of comedy, like when my show is completely different than any than any of the comic so so if you see my showing, and I addressed it in the show, I said, people talk about who influenced me, and I said this is a good question because I have a weird show. And everybody laughed, and I said, who do you think influenced me? And I and I say certain names. They first I'll say Richard Pryor, and then I would say similar, right, and that gets a laugh because my show is not similar to Richard Pryor's at all. And then I say George carl and then they starts. I said that George Carlin was you know, if you break down my show, it's like almost exactly George Carlin, except because I don't do all props. I do a lot of stand up and the stories that he would say or it's kind of like how I wanted to write when I got into comedy. I wanted to be be like George Carlin. He was clever and he was observational, and he had these jokes. Now last night, funny, you should mention. I came home from work and I had my Instagram and I don't know, it's on a I didn't follow it. It was on a feed and it came up on Stephen Wright. Stephen Wright is another one of these guys who when you talk about different in styles, you know, some people think, you know, is he funny? And that's really I know, and that's really his his his stock, but he is so his his his delivery style. He said something like that won't give it justice, but he said he started by saying, it's a wonder a wonderful evening, What a wonderful night for an evening, you know, to pause, and he says, I was. I was hitchhiking one day and a hurst stopped and everyone kind of pauses, and he says, no, thanks pal, I'm not going that far. Like it's just brilliant.
Speaker 2: It's like brilliant said, it's subtle and quiet can be subtle. And he's my generation too.
Speaker 1: Ran it would work for him him and for his style. But if I try, you know, tried doing that and epic fail. So you know, I've got a style of speed. About my show that like he does. He has a style of speed, or as I was called a cadence. Everybody has a cadence. Seinfeld Seinfeld has a great cadence. And then you know it's and it's how, it's how, you know how other comics how they write jokes. I have piles of notes here. I write everything from observational stuff normally to you know, political you know, I do a thing about you know, Trump trying to find advice Bretton and I do a whole thing where behind me is a big screen and he's flips like faces like a like a game show. You know. It was mys my renume to find out and he goes that, you know, like the game show Do Do Do Do? Do Do Do Do? And it pops, it pops up on him. So it's gonna be him, and I'm like, it's me. You know, are we gonna invade? I don't know, Are we gonna invade? What are we gonna do? I don't know? Should be called g what you call So it's him battling him, which he's kind of doing now. It's just and battling himself of everything. So it gets a great laugh and it's a. It's topical and it's current, and it's making fun of Trump and been in a fun way that people enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And you brought up TV and like the medium and what shows are left, which I like that you said that because I don't think that everybody, like people older like us, still think TV is TV, and I, for I evolved in the last year and a half just by accident. And really, once you once you take the blur off, you're like, direct to consumer content is the only way to do things, like meaning you could have an entire I haven people, I have an entire show on TikTok, Like not intentionally, but just like I'm eating dumplings, I'm putting my makeup on, like it's a tell it's the new television. And I just stop thinking, everybody.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, it really is. There's there's not. Really, there's not. I don't I don't think I watch more of tiktoks and more of a podcast than I do television period. I mean, the only thing I watched is my sports. You know, I get home from the show and I put on my sports and I go to dinner or eat by dinner and go to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I don't even know. I'm stunned when I look at the tele I don't even know where to go, what to do what. I'm only on streamers and then you're not seeing the news like it's very jarring.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, you know it's interesting.
Speaker 2: It is very interesting because I just think a lot of people still are still like somebody was, I'm way more financially successful from an entertainment standpoint than when I was on television from from social media and someone was in Australia at an appearance I was at and they were like, oh, what are you gonna get back on TV? I'm like, never, I don't want to be in TV, like and Mark Cuban said, you know that Bravo I think it was. He was like, it's streamers for old people. Yeah, that's what he said.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's interesting. So the way you're talking now, like I'm vibing with what you're saying. Joke wise, it doesn't feel propish. Is that something you would pigeonholed into and people think that you still are like sitting there with a big tricycle on stage or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's still some props that are involved in the show. But there's definitely more stand up than there than there is props oriented, but there's an energy and there's no stylisis, So there's a lot there's a lot of there's a lot of the big screen like I spoke about with the thing, it's a lot of that for a punchline as opposed to me holding up a prop. Now there's still are a few props, but way more like video talking to the video wall, you know, punchline to the crowd, video wall me and then and then a stand up just a story about you know, me looking like Sean White when I go snowboarding or something, and it'll be a whole story, you know.
Speaker 2: General wackiness that people might like. That is like the new version of props for you.
Speaker 1: Pigeon and I had no problem with people say hey, you know your problem the problem cound like, But then they see the show and they're like, you know, you're not really like a prop comic, You're kind of like just a comic. I'm like, yeah, which I had no problem being labeled a prop comic because that's how I got my start. But you have to evolve and stuff. But you know, the show definitely is still carrat top. It still has a prop oriented look to it. But people do comment on the fact that I talk a lot late and said last and I said, last time I have SA show, you were like running around. This time you did, you were just talking and telling stories. I liked it, so I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: It's funny that it's a world like my whole life. I've been attracted to comedy like SNL and I took classes of groundings in Second City, and I'm attracted to comedians in the past. I've just always been friendly with comedians. I you know, David Spade and Kevin Neil. I just I don't know what it is. And even though I'm not one, I vibe with comedians. It is a world, and comedians are typically friends with other comedians. That is your friend group, like civilians or or you're both both.
Speaker 1: But I have a lot. I do enjoy the company of comics. I mean I do when I go to a room and there's full of comics. It's we were We had a thing last a couple of nights ago at the Tropic Canus closing, and so they had Brad Garrett and uh A whole bunch of comics over there, and I went over and just kind of, you know, everyone just kind of you know, shot the ship and talked about, you know, the room, which I never played that room. I never played the tropic Cannon, but but as a comedic clop with a lot of you know, you know, stuff that's no longer going to be there, and so it was nostalgic and it was so fun talking to you know, Brad Garrett can read a phone book and make you laugh. He's just a funny guy, and it was it was fun. Yeah, I love talking. I love comics of the bread and you work off, you know, if you're thinking of something and you immediately get you work off a bit and within seconds. You know, that's the old joke every comic, the ten comics go to lunch within the first someone at the tables and say, I'm gonna use that, you know, because.
Speaker 2: You have to call. Does it breed insecurity and is it super competitive?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: I've never felt insecure on comedians some of the same profession I feel. I feel enlightened, I feel and I love and to be a comic, they all have to be smart and they all have to be a certain style, and I know you feed off that. It's great. I mean, David Spade and I sitting here at lunch would be would be phenomenal and we would and I would probably come up with ten minutes of material for the show. Just been funny and nice guy too, So.
Speaker 2: Totally I agree. He's I love him. He's a He's a cool guy and really really right. And is it exhausting though, because everyone always has to be on, like everything has to be something every second?
Speaker 1: You know a lot of times a lot of comics that you know, at the first few minutes of the lunch or the whatever that we're getting together is always you know, a little sticky probably and then usually it turns into for a bit just normal. Yeah. No one cuts up jokes and tries to do their bit, that's for sure, or we don't hang out those guys. So, I mean, someone like David Spader, Brad Gerett, you know, they're pros. They're not gonna sit down and and do shiit all day. They'll do it for a minute. Brad will come in and say, oh, nicest to you the thrift store. You're still doing good for you? You know, he right away to rip on me. You know, so you got the my hair, you see, I see you still got the convertible good, you know, just just think rip on me?
Speaker 2: And which is the bat? Have you been roasted?
Speaker 1: I've been roasted, yes, but not not not on the carrat top for first per se roast. But I've been on roast where I got roasted. Yes, got one was was flavor flav. I was on his roast and everybody was going after me, and I finally was my turn. I said, Hey, we're roasting him. What the jeez?
Speaker 2: You're very roastable, Yes I am. They love You're easy to cook. I'm easy to you lean meat, you know what I mean. You're easy to cook, not a lot of fat Chris Row. When I was going up to do stand up, I was wise enough to text the or call the different comedians that I've met or know, and some of them I'm not like best friends with them. And I know Kevin Neil and we know each other for sure, but like we don't speak every day. And someone like him or Whitney or Kathy Griffin or whatever, a bunch of people. I just asked everyone for their advice, like what would be advice you would give. Ellen said to be funny, which I thought was really amazing and helpful, But everybody gave me like a different sort of set of rules. Chris Rocks jumps off the page because he said, make sure to have a beginning and an ending and the rest is just the flow. And he said it's an intimate sort of experience or sport, and to not bring a lot of people, which did it. I was attracted to. But Kathy Griffin was like, bring as many people as are going to make you feel good. And someone said use the microphone as a prop. Someone else said take away the stand like they were just things that I could then crowdsourcer, and then I end up deciding what I'm going to do. So even if someone's going to be at a wedding and they want to get up and give a non shitty toast, Like if I had called you, what would you have told me I'm going to do five minutes at the New York Comedy Club And what would have been like tenants that you would have said to me, Well, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of those would have been accurate. I would have said, well, first, if you've never done it before, I would I would say, go to a stage somewhere and pretend one or once or twice and just kind of get the feeling of going up there and doing exactly what they said. You know, there's I'm lucky, I'm I move around, so I don't. I don't hold the microphone. Never have I have a love because I'm okay, thanks. So I would figure out what's more comfortable first with the mic stand behind it, holding it, or take the mic stand and put a part and just hold the mic and reference them. You know the mics. I know a lot of comics that do. They they rest their arm under or they use it as a prop, you know, and they're driving the car and it's a stick shift or whatever they happen to be. That's the trump. Let's find Edw's vice president and I pull the thing. But Chris rock is right on point about beginning and end. That's that's the most important thing. You got to get the beginning down, because you've got to get the crowd right away and then you can and have fun with them, and then you got to get the way to get the hell out of there and and be that was called your closer. You have to have a good closer, so yeah, and and find out what it is that you're you specifically want to talk about in that ten minutes, because a lot if comics are all over the place and there they go up and they say, hey, I'm you know, I'm single and whenever I'm married to a guy and that, and then it's funny and then they go when they start talking about something. I don't know. I like a theme thing, yeah, non sec So I like a little bit for me, if it was a short amount of time, it would be a theme. Like my first gift bit I ever did, ever was the whole bit. It was ten minutes, was about stealing road signs, and so I will open up with a sign and then it was almost like a show. I just kept doing different road signs until I got done. And that was the That was the whole bit. But uh, and then the next time grew on it, I said, now it'll be stealing signs and other objects. So I said, now they did the signs, Hey how about this bank tube? And I was like, oh my god, you're stealing bank tube and you know the airline oxygen mask on the plane. So it came up with My whole show is kind of like thievery but funny, like funny things to do with stone, stuff that you'd think. So so, I don't know. It just depends on what the style of comedy.
Speaker 2: Is and and and you're saying, it could be as niche as possible. You're standing at a wedding for three minute. It could be as niche as possible, as long as you just connect whatever that thread is back to whatever you're talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it could be it could be a plan words, you know, you know, married to married to I'm saying, oh, married to Uh, you're single and married to a guy you might like to make any sense, you could do those kind of things where people like like Kevin neal and Ish he's great. Yeah, but it's Kevin's a brilliant comic and he's just funny. He's just funny, you know, He's.
Speaker 2: Just some people just have their essence is funny, right, you just hold them.
Speaker 1: We hope the MIC's funny, and you'll say, yeah, I just went to just hurt my knee playing basketball, not pro you know, and it's just funny, right.
Speaker 2: That's the essence of sonic. I guess it entails a lot of just the confidence in your own skin of standing.
Speaker 1: There absolutely confidence, And I would say to young comics years of practice. I know it sounds an odd thing, but like when young comics said, you know, I'm gonna do comedy, and they said, what do you advice? I see, find a stage time somewhere, like whether it's I mean, I worked in strip clubs, I worked in restaurants, I worked anywhere. So just find a place that will allow you to get on stage and work out your craft. Work out what you're going to do. That's the most important. Then you get you get down what your your stick, your style, and your because that's where you know, you learn even what your style is like. You know, your style might might be high energy, your style might be really mellow. Your style might be running all over the stage like I do.
Speaker 2: I think that's as important as what you're saying.
Speaker 1: My hair alone is Yeah, my hair alone is part of my product. I mean, you know, it's the look you.
Speaker 2: Know, yep, yep, yep. It's interesting who are your favorite comedians, like, who are you like into?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Growing up back then was George Carlin, Richard Pryor of course all the comics that worked on the Tonight show from Steve Martin to you know, Gary Shandling. My god, he was funny, but so many and Stephen Wright. You know, there's just so many comics that I would and what I liked about him too and was that they all really be. All the ones, you know, are all different, their style, what they talk about. You know. Then you get a Bill Maher who talks Bill Maher talks politics. But that's what makes him so different because you go see Bill Marry and you know he's gonna talk about that, and he's brilliantly smart about it. And then you go see you know, Howie and how he's just more goofy. And then you go see Carly and he's smart and angry, and you know, Jim Gaffigan is just goofy. So it's it's that's like it's like any kind of form of art, whether it be music or rock and roll. That's what makes it fun is the uniqueness of each act. You know, you can go to a comedy club and see twenty different comedies and they're all going to be different, all different, you hope.
Speaker 2: Yo, do you find the threat of cancelation that it's debilitating to have to even think about what you're going to say in this freedom not at all.
Speaker 1: No, you know, in some comics fight would agree with me. I've never written anything that wasn't or performing that was going to be in that category that makes sense, Like everything you're not risk.
Speaker 2: It's not risky. Just that's not what you're talking about. That's just not who you are, right, I've never.
Speaker 1: Been the old risky guy, joke guy. Now there's comics right now they're like, oh crap, Yeah, they can't write anything anymore. Probably they like their whole act is gone. They can't do it because that's how they wrote. I have things that are on the cusp of people. I mean I some of them are not in the show anymore. But I go back into my warehouse and I think, oh my god, not only was this a great joke and it killed for you, but I wonder if that would be considered okay now, Like it was funny then, and I did it on like Regis and Kathy Leave, and of course it was like pe it was PG clean, but now would it be h So I never really wrote jokes anyhow that we're gonna be that way. I've always tried to just keep it silly. Fun No, no, very politics, very light. And the only thing I do is is a horrible Trump impression. So it's what makes it funny because it's just so bad. It's bad that people the more I do it, the more they'll and I just pick a word and I just say, you know I made that. You know you just take coffee. I make coffe. It was deep, but there was no I make up.
Speaker 2: I want to come see your act. I love big I'm one of the few people that really like loves Vegas, and I want to come see your act. So in reading about you, for some reason, your financial situation is like newsworthy. People are surprised that you've made what they what they report a thing. And I'm not going to be like cry, I just mean you've made a lot of money. Is that from just consistent earning and the shows? Is it from investing? From from diversity? Is it something unexpected real estate? Like? Are you totally financially sound and you don't worry about money at all?
Speaker 1: No, it's from bank robbing. I have a lot of banks.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a skilled in and of itself.
Speaker 1: I think that answer to that question is yeah. Let mean just be the initial answer to that would be definitely longevity of and working for I haven't had a I haven't had a break since I started in nineteen eighty five. And I mean when I mean a break like, I've never stopped doing shows. Now. The intensity of shows that I do now is more. I do six nights a week, four weeks, one week off, four weeks on an on average, this last month has been like seven eight weeks on. I've been and the week that I got off, I went on tour.
Speaker 2: So, so, are you a workaholic?
Speaker 1: No, I am looking forward to my next breakoff in Florida. I just I am a workaholic. So yes, I do. I do work. I work more than any of them my friends do. And you know the residency alone here in Vegas at the luxuries is you know, even a comic, even my comic friends like you six nights a week?
Speaker 2: My god, Wow, that sounds insane you because but is it that you love it? Is it that you Is there any fear of irrelevance? Is it any fear of financial descision?
Speaker 1: No? I think I Well, I love yeah, No, I love it and I and that's what the hotel wants. They want a full time guy, and I have no problem being the full time guy, but I do. I am the first one to tell you. You know, I get my week off, I'm gone and I need that to re energize. So but you know, we just did road shows and that was fun. But you know, you get a week off or you want to go on the road and do shows. I'm like, well, I'd rather go home. But then I also said, I haven't been on the road in a While'll get on a tour bus and do the whole nine yards. It was also good for me and my crew to kind of do that to keep your you know, like you said, the relevant, keep yourself working. You know, I work a lot here too. But the road shows are really challenging because you don't do the Vegas show when you're in Modesto. You know, you're in Modesto, California. You just walk o. Hey, it's good to be in Vegas, Like, huh, So.
Speaker 2: That's where you're exercising. That's where you're like exercising the muscle right.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely, And that's what made it makes it fun and it's challenging. You know, people are like they saw the show and they were like, wow, that's a that's a whole different that's a whole different show. And I'm like, yeah, and you got to remember.
Speaker 3: And kind of have an outline and you can balance in and out do something from the Begas Show, but it's got to have a theme that you know, you made it just for this town.
Speaker 1: So I go to town. I go into the town, and I and I spend I go get lunch somewhere, and then I take my crew and we go around and we take pictures and or videos of something in the town, and then we put it in the show. So the crowd goes crazy. You know.
Speaker 2: That's That's one of the things I was going to say before that I've noticed, like if I go do a speaking engagement for a thousand people, even though I'm quote unquote not in a comedian, if you bring up something that like you saw that day or that happened or it's happened in their town, they really just feel special. They love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they know that you went out of the way to Yeah, it's a special moment for them that you went out of the way to know about their town.
Speaker 2: And then it's fresh and then it's fresh.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: This is the age where for me it feels like you only want to do the things you want to do, but the tables are still hot, and you're realize that you're like not a barred time, but like a career being relevant for so many years. You wouldn't think that at your age or at my age, like you'd still be so in demand. So I feel like you kind of want to ride it because you know the tables will go cold and that's when you'll walk out. I mean, is that kind of Do you feel that way too? Like it's still going so I might as well. It's not gonna be going forever. Trees don't grow to the sky, so I might as well just you know, ride it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, and have fun. And that's that's what I'm trying to say in my in my world, you know, and I say to myself almost every day similar things like you know, I'm fifty nine and I have six years left in the contract. It makes me sixty five when I get done with the contract. We just had a thing less time, I mean, and it's like would you sign again? I said, I don't know. I'm not there yet, Like you know, five years ago, when they asked me, I said, I'm not resigning when I turned fifty, I was gonna say fifty five, I was gonna not quit, but I was gonna slow down, like to speed them.
Speaker 2: It's pretty amazing that at fifty nine you have a contract till sixty five. Like I have to say, like, it's pretty that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: In frightening yeah yeah, but uh yeah, it's uh it's it's like Buddy Hackett, another great comic. I met him years and years ago and he was at the airport and I said, oh my god, I will bother you, but like Buddy Hackett, you know, like genius, right, And he said, uh, hey kid, you know carettop. But he was I don't know if he any think he knew who I was. But he said, uh, I'm gonna give you some advice and I said, oh please, I would love that. So he took a nap in the lounge at the airport and he wrote down the key to the Treasure is the treasure, and he gave it to me and I got on the plane. I was like, what is he drunk? And my friend said, what are you right? And I said, the key to the treasure is the treasure. And then my friend said oh no, actually, that's pretty profound. Try to figure out what that means. And I said, what do you means? He said, we'll break it down. I think I figured out. So I kept looking at it, and I said, I guess it's just so generalized. But the key to the treasure like the key to light, the key to what you're you want, key to what you're holding is what you're holding.
Speaker 2: So I looked at like, oh, the journey. It's about the journey, not the destination, is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, the key to the journey is the journey. And that's exactly how I took it. So I said, oh, oh, that's actually pretty cool. I enjoyed what you're doing right now. You're doing you're doing this. You you started doing this when you're like eighteen years old, and you're you actually you're doing what you wanted to. You're doing it. You pulled it off right, enjoying it. So that's what I try to figure every night when I go on stage. I try to put on course. Every comic says that, but not I know a call out of comics, dunt or entertainers for that matter. I'm very like, every show is the first time you've done it kind of thing. And the audience is savvy. They'll see through it. They know when you get up there and you're like last night, like having fun and really like the good, good girl in front of game me this beautiful carrot, diamond encrusted carrot, my logo and diamond crusted. It was beautiful. So I was a look at this. Look my fans did like how in the crowd was like, oh my god. You know, but if I had gotten that, I mean tossed it and said thanks for my fucking you know, you do very great. I mean really like wow, it took hours to make, you know, and it gives you a little little light, a little bit of fun, and you look out there and people are you know, some people the audience something else I learned about. You know, people could be going through really bad stuff. And that sounds like cliche and whatever, but I so many times I've come off stage and someone said, you know, I lost my dad today. Yeah, and I didn't know what to do. So I figured I'd go see you because you would make me laugh and I'm like wow, And a lot a lot of times that happens, or they just was two weeks before of them show. There's a meat great And this lady said, we're all there, and she said, should we tell you? And I said, tell me what they said? You know, last time we were here, Mom was here and she loved you and she here's a picture for her buying your T shirt. And I'm like, I remember her. She was, well, she's no longer with us, and the reason we came is because of her that night, and you know, so we're here to celebrate her. And I'm like, man, it's nice to know that because you get out there, you kind of think of that when you're when you're doing it, like make it special, you.
Speaker 2: Know, individual moments of meaning. I was doing this appearance in Australia and in Melbourne a woman came up and she couldn't keep it together and she was crying and she had had a neurological issue and vertigo and all these things. She hadn't been able to leave for two years. And she's a massive fan. And she said that she wanted to get to New York at some point to see me when I had been speaking, but she felt that me coming to Australia was New York coming to her, and she hadn't left her house for two years, like and to take be present, to take that moment. And I ended up putting together a whole gift getting asking to get her information. She thought that she'd obviously never hear from me, and sent her this gift the next day, and like she posted about it and she couldn't believe it, and like different things, like I was at a restaurant last week and these two girls came up and the security person. One of them got a picture with me, and the security person you know, said to them, like and then they they left, And I've been thinking ever since about the poor other girl who didn't get the picture. It's not fair the one friend got to pay. Like I'll obsess over something so strange like that, like someone comes up your mid bite, You're like, do you mind if we just wait till I finished, you know, eating, and then you don't see them again, And then I feel bad that, like I should have just been like mid brock bite and taking a picture, even though it's fair to want to finish your meal. Like I'll think about things like that because it means so much to them in their day, and I don't want to make that other girl feel stupid she didn't get the picture. So it's weird the things that you'll like just like notice or think about and being present with those people that it does have a lot of meaning to your point. Yeah, very true, really really really interesting. Wow you are so I just love the show because like I get to you know, your carat top Like that's that's like two words. It's a name, it's a person I've seen in the past. It's the guy with the red hair, Like, wow, you know you're a comic now, I you know, feel like I know you. You're very deep and interesting and smart and sunny, so and nice. So I'm very grateful to meet you. And I'd love to come to your show when I come to Vegas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be super. I would love you to be there. I mean, it's it's fun just because the live show is so different than what people see on TV, which doesn't mean it's not good or bad. It's just best. The number one comment like, man, I've always seen you and never seen you live. Well, I believed it's like an edge to it. It's a good energy.
Speaker 2: Because sometimes you have to be what they hire you to be, which is right. They want you to be what the people want you to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they mean every show would never let me do stand up? I mean never, right, I said, wouldn't that be funny? Jay, after all the years of doing that? Wouldn't really? Jane, I had no problem with it. It was the producer. That's the producer. I said, you know, I'd done this time. I show like thirty five times, and I said, I'm always on and I come out with my box. What if I came out and I have the box, I've done it, I don't but I don't open it, and the crowds like like waiting, and I'm just doing all my stand up and then's the last one. I go to pick it and I just shut the box and I go, all right, we'll see it. And it was going to be so called. Jane loved the idea, but the producers like, well, you know, I think they want to see the prompts. I go, the stories. You're going to be just as good as the props. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: But right, like I grew up with that. I know, like I grew up, I graduated, you know, you're allowed to evolve into something different. Lots. Yeah, that's yeah, that's why the Vegas Show sounds like it's great for you and you are private about your relationship, which I respect. You've never have you ever had you have kids? Or you never had kids?
Speaker 1: I have no kids.
Speaker 2: Okay. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Speaker 1: If I do. Oh ship, where are they?
Speaker 2: I don't know, They're probably in the audience. And well, this is the redheads in the audience. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thanks for talking to me. I was excited about doing this.
Speaker 2: You were did you know who I was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course I know all about you really, and you're very smart. On top of all that, too, you're very You're very smart, so I was excited.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I always wonder like, is this guy I can't even know who the hell I am? Like, why should you want me to be on the show? Oh good, okay, awesome. Well I'm gonna hit you up and it'll be such an interesting when I take a picture with you and Flavor Flavor, people like this is what you hang out with Carot's top.
Speaker 1: Flavor so unique, it's so great. No, I know people love that.
Speaker 2: I'm so cool. Awesome, all right, I'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: Serious, Thanks, thank you. Bye.
Speaker 2: Scott. Bye, Scott, I'm calling you, Scott.
Speaker 1: Yeah bye, Bethany. All right, cheers