Speaker 1: Hey, BA, fam. I don't even know if I need to introduce this week's guest to you, but Morgan Debon, the CEO of Blavity, is in the house. Morgan, how many times you been on BA do you know?
Speaker 2: At least two or three times?
Speaker 1: Maybe your fourth time?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Wow, I had forgotten how early in the game you had come on, And I just thank you for that, because when you're starting a podcast, I mean it's different now, but yeah, we started this ten years ago and for you to say yes at the time, it felt huge for you to say yes to my invitation to come on. And I actually went back and I listened to don't make that face, because you know what, I realized, you're just the same.
Speaker 2: Like I am the same, You just sound the same.
Speaker 1: Your vibe is the same for change, yeah, and I part of me is I just was like really impressed by that. I can't say the same for myself. I listened back to my in early VA days and I'm like, oh, baby girl, but how does that make you feel to hear that? Like what do you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I am pretty much.
Speaker 3: I've always lived by like a center of principles and I always feel pretty comfortable with who I am. I think the times in my life where I've been the most unhappy, it's because I let other people influence me too much.
Speaker 2: But like when I'm just me, then everything is much easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, and being around people like you, I mean people like you, not to make you feel like I'm putting you under a microscope, but I feel calm with in your presence, and I'm someone who's like you know, I maybe it's like a little bit I undiagnosed ADHD and just like in general enthusiasm, but I am an introvert, but I am excitable, and I am emotional and raw, and that's just who I am. And so I feel like you are like the duck, calm on the surface, but your little feetbe kicking a.
Speaker 2: Lot going on behind me scenes.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, but that seems to be like a core of who you are. Where did that come from? Like that inner sense of calm and self love. I definitely did not grow up with a deep sense of like comfort with myself and all of that, And I just wonder if you could talk a bit about that.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that being grounded today is because I feel like I have made a lot of a sequence of choices and a series of choices that were mine. And so when there are situations that are not great, when my life isn't going according to plan, when we overspend on a budget or a relationship doesn't work out, I feel like, at a minimum, I still had control over the path that I chose, And I think that gives me a sense of calm and ground like being grounded. And I think for anybody who feels like wants to feel that's kind of like you're never too high and are never too low.
Speaker 2: Amazing things happen. Close a huge deal at.
Speaker 3: Blavity, or you know, my partner Josh closed a huge deal for his business because he's awesome an entrepreneur. We go out, we celebrate. If something bad happens, we go out and we manage it. Like I just feel like everything is figure outable, And I think that that has helped me be pretty resilient in any situation.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean a lot. Even though you at your core haven't so much change at least from like the way that I know you through these interviews, but your life has certainly changed a lot since those ten years ago. One of the things that you talked about on your first episode was I felt very much when I was reading the introduction to your book, like I was like, oh, that's who I spoke to, because you were I remember one of the things you were like, well, I'm ten pounds heavier than I want to be, and it was just indicative of like not really balancing and like working around the clock and eating crap. And I wonder now, like looking back at her, if she had this book, do you think you would have done anything differently?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that the person that I started with, Like many people, when you're in your early twenties and you're just getting started or even your mid twenties, depending on where you are in life, you're still figuring out what your purpose is because you've been told your whole life, like all these steps that you need to take in order to be successful. And you've told your whole life all of these rules you need to follow to be successful, get a good job, work really hard, like speak up, share your ideas. You're told all of these things and what you're supposed to do that's going to have a successful outcome. And the reality is those rules and that playbook was actually designed by people who they don't even play by those rules. So I think the faster that I accepted, wait, I can do whatever I want to do. I have free will. Let me decide what makes me happy, what my actual purpose than this life is, and let me work towards having more of my time and energy be aligned with my purpose.
Speaker 2: The more I was able to then.
Speaker 3: Have a more balanced life, because I used to tell myself, like, when you sign up to be an entrepreneur, you just sign up to be broke for five to seven years, basically because your first few years you're putting everything in the business. Then maybe you make a little bit of money, and then you're like investing all that money in all these people that now you're responsible for, so your income is incredibly unstable.
Speaker 2: And then maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: You start to make enough income and revenue the business that you can take a nice income. But for ninety nine percent of businesses in America, like that is not the narrative. That is like not true. Eighty percent of small businesses in this country are solopreneurs. So how do you accept that in the beginning stages that that rough stock is actually potentially your norm.
Speaker 2: It's a little art.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, I Sometimes I'm like, dang, why didn't I start this when I was twenty two? And when I say this, I wasn't even sure I was starting what I want Brown Ambition to be and what it's becoming. When I was twenty I started this podcast for everything, how was I twenty six? And for me it was just a fun passion project. And since then starting my you know, leaving corporate and starting my my coaching practice, and that was exciting, but I was always coming back to Brown Ambition and it was always ba for me. And so when my co host Tiffany left at the end of last year, which was, you know, such a blessing and such a beautiful sometimes it's like it was a gift to get to say goodbye to her in that way and have such a great like parting of you know, creative partnership or whatever. I mean. I was just at her house the other day, so we still have our bond. But looking ahead, I'm like, oh, I do feel like I'm starting now, because starting fresh, I do feel like. Yet, I mean, I'm not a I'm not a solopreneur in the sense that I'm not making money like thankfully. The podcast has been profitable for a few years now. But now there's the pressure of, like, so how do I invest in the in the business of it all. Before I'm just like taking little you know, taking cuts, using it for bills and stuff. And now I'm like, oh, pouring it back in and choosing what to build. I feel like your book, by the way, rewrite your rules, which just imagine it's sitting right here. I don't have the physical copy. I will have it soon. There it is, there, she is. I'll put it on the screen. Don't worry. I know what publishers want being on the screen with a link. Okay, But I do feel like this book.
Speaker 3: Is for me. This book is absolutely for you, someone who already has a lot of successful things going on. You've got a family, You've made a lot of choices. You'd had a corporate nine to five, you chose to different paths, and now you're at a crossroads.
Speaker 2: You can choose the stable thing.
Speaker 3: And keep it going right, stick with the same network that you're in, stick with the same type of content, stick with the same stuff. Or you can take the risky route, which has implications it might work out or might put you behind where you are now not make that decision. I mean, that is what this book is designed to help people think through. It is like, how do I make the decision?
Speaker 1: How do you make the decision? And I will say what I was going to say earlier is being young, being twenty two and launching without a family. The stakes are so fucking high on Morgan, I got these two little ruggrats. My birthday is so compile high. Yes, they're right now, They're very high. And I am very I am an entrepreneur. I've always sort of been entrepreneurial. I mean, I started browd Ambition while I was working nine to five, and I love being creative. My husband is very not that and it's been it's been challenging, like for him to meet this version of myself who's like all in and I mean, so that's the challenge how it's impacting our relationship. And then I love the freedom I have to be a more present mom, but I do. I do have to move more slowly than I would have before I had these kids, and I have to accept that at this stage. Whereas it's it is what it is at the end of the day, you know, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Think that you can minimize it, like it's still a choice that you're making proactively. To say, one of the things that's important for me and my family is a stability for my family, and stability for my family is going to be one of my priority pillars, which we talk about in the book, right, and then from there everything works around that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very different than the business. I would have the choices and the ways that I think I would have easily become, you know, taken the route you had, you know, like where you sort of work yourself into the ground. And at the same time, it's like be grateful for that version of yourself because look what you built.
Speaker 2: Oh I love her, Yeah, grateful for her.
Speaker 3: I think that for anything to be at scale at this type of momentum, it requires the ten thousand hours that people talk about. I mean, it requires great It requires hard work. The question is just when do you get off the rat race, Like when have you done enough? And when you let the momentum from the work that you've put in and the investment that you've put in then take you to a different direction. Because I think a lot of people get stuck, like they get stuck just going through the motions and there's diminishing returns of their hard work, Like that is not a hard work alone, is not the thing that makes people successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love what you write about this trip to Costa Rica and how that was like the beginning of you just taking time for yourself. And I've seen that you've posted about painting, and I want to hear about soft life. Morgan. You left La, you went to Nashville. You're in Nashville. Now you found your boo. Yeah, had your baby. He's thriving. He's a full toddler. So you know, God for us. Yeah, I got one of them too, hop out here in these little streets, you know, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I took a thirty day sabbatical.
Speaker 3: You know, I went through a super tough time in business where I felt like I was a wartime CEO, where like I really was. It was do or guy, like, either we make it through this or we're done. And I really gave it. After having gone through a season where I felt like we were super stable, I had then had to like buckle back in and.
Speaker 2: Work like work as hard as I possibly could. And I did that for nine months.
Speaker 3: The business had one of its best quarters and I'd ever had in the history of the business, and I said, perfect, your girl is out.
Speaker 2: I need to go.
Speaker 3: So I did a thirty day sabbatical in Costa Rica with some of my girlfriends, Melissa from the Lip Bar and Simone now Tyler formerly White, who was our head of revenue for the media business at the time, and Afrotech, and for thirty days we just did whatever we wanted to do, like eat papayas, talked.
Speaker 2: At a fish man.
Speaker 3: We went to a restaurant one night and I was like, oh, this fish is so good, you know, and Costa Rican so many tropical places are like, oh, we just caught it this.
Speaker 2: Morning, and da da da da.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, cool. Can I get on this boat? Then, like I want to go catch a fish? And they were like, yeah, we can get on this boat in the morning. So we literally went on the fishermen's boat in the morning, caught the fish. I get terribly seasick, by the way, which I knew, but I was like I'm going anyways, caught the fish, smoked a lot of wheat on the boat because I was trying not to be so sick. Do I help'd the fish? At night and we had fresh ahi for dinner.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: But like I wanted to just do stuff like stop being so freaking responsible, stop overthinking everything. Stop if this then that every single decision for thirty days, and it just reset my ability to then have an abundance mindset about well, what does the next phase in my life look like now that I've made it through these different things in the business, what else.
Speaker 2: Do I want?
Speaker 3: And outside of work? Because that's just not enough. It wasn't enough for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how much of that also is having a team to support you so that you can be free.
Speaker 2: It required a new team.
Speaker 3: I mean I had to dream up a whole new organizational chart, I had to dream up a whole new personal team.
Speaker 2: So it required a lot of transformation. It required total transformation.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, my hope with the book is that it gives people the framework to identify where they need those transformations in their personal life as well as their professional life.
Speaker 1: Do you feel as if, let me back up a little bit, I sometimes as a mom, I'm so grateful, you know, I talk about how you can list out the ways that makes it more challenging to be ambitious and to have a career in all of that and to start a business. But at the same time, in a time like this, I find so much I find it meditative being a mom sometimes getting on the floor building a lego, you know, being in tune with that. How has your son changed your approach to business or your tolerant your resilience for business, if at all, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I think I was very much a yes, I can do these things. Yes you want me to fly to the city, Yes, I'll go from city to city and like take out these meetings and do this stuff.
Speaker 2: I've always had a little bit of like boundary and know.
Speaker 3: But I think when you have kids, it requires a different way of your time, and I think certainly for me that has been the case, particularly when they're really you know, I think over time they're a little less impacted by you being away for two, three four days. Hopefully I'm hopeful for some freedom, but you know, we leave the house for a night and he or two nights.
Speaker 2: You know, I know he's not going to sleep well that night because we're both gone.
Speaker 3: So I think for me, I've just had to be more disciplined with how I'm saying, Like what is my focus, What are my priorities, what are the I can only do three things at all times. I can only be prioritizing three things. Those three things can change, but right now, three things and that's it, and everything has to pass through those three things to make it out on the other side. And that I think principle is something that I've learned and lived by and I think having a kid just basically reinforced that.
Speaker 1: So now it's one of those things, you know, those three principles that you're sort of filtering every those three values, what are they if you don't mind sharing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there's six pillars in the book that I talk about, and at any point you're prioritizing three out of these six.
Speaker 2: The six different.
Speaker 3: Ones are wellness, stability, freedom, money, relationships, and passions.
Speaker 2: Okay, so for me.
Speaker 3: Right now, stability is important because family, two relationships, because my relationship with my partner. I'm getting married in August. We've got a lot going on.
Speaker 2: And then I think the last thing for me is freedom.
Speaker 3: Like I am spending a lot of time making sure that I'm doing things that I want to do that I'm in control of. High I spend my time right let's say you're a medical student. Freedom can't be one of your priorities because you're stuck into a system, right, But maybe it's passions. You're volunteering your time and you're doing these with other people and that makes you feel good. Or maybe it's relationships and you're going to church, building a church community and building relationships with your peers and your colleagues. Right at any different phase in your life, you're gonna have different pillars and those are going to change.
Speaker 2: And then what I think it.
Speaker 3: Does is it also helps you accept that the other pillars are not a priority.
Speaker 2: They're on maintenance, moll. So it's not that I.
Speaker 3: Am eating cake and you know, putting a bunch of sodium in my food every day because my wellness isn't one of my priorities. But it does mean like I was supposed to go to pilates this morning at six am, and I just accepted that that was not going to happen, and I was going to pay the cancelation fee, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: Beat myself up about it.
Speaker 3: I had all intentions I do it, but my son woke up early and I said, you know what, We're just gonna hang out.
Speaker 2: Then that's fine. Good morning, good.
Speaker 1: Morning, good morning. I think one of your podcasts we should mention the journey, which you I feel like you've tried a couple of different kinds of podcasts, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: I've had work Smart, I have the journey, and we're probably gonna transition the journey back to work Smart soon.
Speaker 1: Oh really okay? And then I was on your blavity head A podcast for a minute. I do feel like you're not You're not afraid to test new things and try new things business wise, I'm the queen.
Speaker 3: I'm a queen of failure. I believe in testing everything and failing as quickly as possible so that you can decide what's working and what's not working. Because the more shots I have at the at the goal, the more likely I'm gonna hit the goal.
Speaker 2: MM.
Speaker 1: So what has that looked for you? Look like for you in terms of your business right now? Like, what are you trying right now that you're not sure? Is blavity Fest one of those tests you don't want test, it's not really a test.
Speaker 3: So blavity Fest is at the end of ma A at the in Atlanta. It's a mix of a conference in a music festival, so we've got music in that in the evening, Kirk Franklin two chains, variety of different artists.
Speaker 2: We've got a DJ battle with local Bank.
Speaker 1: Went in two chains. The dichotomy is on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, brun Okay to say, Atlanta, I.
Speaker 1: Thought you said Kirk was opening.
Speaker 2: Up for two chains. You know, Saturday is two chains.
Speaker 1: Got it? We getting lit Saturday.
Speaker 2: Park is all Sunday.
Speaker 1: Oh yeh, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: And we've got like really great speakers everything covering things from you know, wealth, personal finance to wellness.
Speaker 2: Speakers like Debbie Brown, Tiffany.
Speaker 3: Of course, the but Denistas, so you all know Tiff, so many incredible people and we've been doing that. We've been in the events business for a decade, right, Like Afrotech is huge. It's the second largest gathering of black professionals in the country. As it's only the second largest what's bigger, essence fastest? Oh, okay, fair enough, but damn huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot. It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: It's it's fantastic and it's just a great place to grow and invest in your to gown and get to the next level whatever your goal is.
Speaker 2: There is something for you at Efortech.
Speaker 3: Now for blavity Fest, we've had different iterations of a blabvierty Fest. We had some at twenty one, which was in form really called empower Her.
Speaker 2: If you were that.
Speaker 1: Old, I have yes, you talked about that on an early episode. I was like, oh damn, I forgot about.
Speaker 2: Empower Her exactly. So your girl goes through iterations all the time.
Speaker 3: So empower Her was two or three years and we changed it to sum at twenty one, and then some at twenty one did super well with consumers, but advertisers weren't really investing in it.
Speaker 2: So we picked.
Speaker 3: I picked basically, I said, look, we only got so many, so much time and effort, let's scale afrotech instead of some at twenty one. But now we're back at a place where Afrotech is super stable. And I do believe that there is a world where people who are not in tech still want to come together to connect. Network creators want the skills the tools we able to get to the next level. Artists, musical people, people in the production space, people who are looking to publish their first book, like there are a lot of information that I still think being in person and having those social connect connections helps people get to the next level, you know, and events are a great way to do that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how much I needed to be at Afrotech until I was there. I mean, I went by your invitation just because you know, at the time, I was looking for any excuse to leave the house and go work on my book and you know, and I would just make a book trip out of any any little break I could get. So I was like, oh, yeah, I'll go to Houston, and what's there to do in Houston. Meanwhile, I didn't write anything because I was just goingting done during it. Yeah, it's just but there was work being done. I didn't know how much I needed to be at a table with other really, you know, unapologetically big idea creators like and people who made me feel capable of doing all I wanted to do. And the thing about solopreneurship is it can be isolating, and especially being a mom on top of that, like I don't really get to connect with other other than like BA fam and my family and my neighbors, not doing a lot of connecting in person with peers, and so yeah, it was just really I left there feeling extremely capable of doing everything I wanted to do and saying it out loud with Brown Ambition and turning it into like the media juggernaut that I wanted to become. And yeah, I definitely owe that to you and to Afrotech. So thank you for thank you in advance, not in advance many belated thank you for being You're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that the power of your network is one of the things that can propel you in times when you're making those kinds of decisions like how are we going to scale Brown ambition? What does broad ambition three point out look like under Mandy's leadership?
Speaker 2: What does it look like?
Speaker 3: You have no one else to run things back besides your own brain.
Speaker 1: And you want the right people. You want someone who you can call up and be like, hey, I'm facing this problem and they're not going to tell you, well, why don't you just not do it? It seems hard? That seems hard. And the number of people who I've told me this week to just go take a nap and why don't you take something off your plate, I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, this is not here. This is not the time to take things off the plate. I need a bigger plate, that's what you mean, I need a bigger plate?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I think that's like one of the challenges with the self care narrative and like the soft life narrative, Like I'm actually not like super pro soft life, like I'm pro proactive care, Like I'm pro don't get to a place where you feel like your plate is overflowing with work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not a like just do less like no, like let me let me max out and still feel good about it. Like how do you max out and still get eight hours?
Speaker 1: Mmmm? It's like becoming a better optimizing optimization.
Speaker 3: Like, I just believe that that is possible. I believe that you can use tools like AI. I believe that you can make different choices with how you spend your money to invest in things that are going to give you your time back. Like I believe that there is a way for you to have it all eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and Rachel Rogers next to each other. It's like you ain't leaving that conversation without a nanny. It's like a cleaning crew, a meal delivery, a chef. Like you're going to invest in your.
Speaker 2: Ste at GPT pro like, let's just start with TPT.
Speaker 1: Pro like, okay, twenty bucks a month, who had it?
Speaker 2: No, I want the next one up the Yeah there's another level.
Speaker 1: Oh damn.
Speaker 3: But but the next level allows has an operator and does all this stuff where you can do stuff for you for you on your computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to I want you to take me through your day. I want you to tell me, like, do you have a certain routine, how are you balancing and checking things? And also who are the people that are checking in with you and supporting you throughout the day, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my day.
Speaker 3: I mean I have to say I live in a state of privilege right now. So I don't want anyone to hear this and be like, girl, you're doing too much. That it's important for people to understand at a certain level how much help we all really have behind the scenes, because I didn't realize this until it was far too late, that people have things like house managers and nannies and all pairs, and they're have live live in nanny's or rotational nannies where someone is working twenty four to seven for a week, they're off and then another nanny comes while they're off.
Speaker 2: They have two full.
Speaker 3: Time nannies, Like, I didn't know the game that people were playing while everyone was telling us.
Speaker 2: Just lean in, just lean in, just say yes. And I'm like, ma'am, you didn't tell me what was going on behind the scenes. It allowed you to lean in. So that is my disclaim before I tell you my schedule.
Speaker 1: Open that gate, baby, let's go.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it starts actually the night before.
Speaker 3: So the night before, my virtual assistant Beth sends me my schedule for the next day with any notes, pre meeting notes, anything that I need to know mentally so that I can prep for the next day. So every meeting that I have, I have two calendar invites. I have the actual calendar invite, and then I have the notes for that meeting with any context like who introduced me to that person, what are we supposed to be talking about? Maybe prereads like all that stuff. Okay, I sleep for at least eight hours a night. I need a full night sleep, kind of girly. I wake up between five thirty and six fifteen. I would say, I don't wake up with an alarm. I kind of just wake up based off of what my body needs. But it's just pretty consistent. I wake up with the sun, which is hard to do in the winter.
Speaker 2: But you get about it.
Speaker 1: Like nine, I go to.
Speaker 3: Sleep between nine nine and ten. I'm sorry, yep, I am not a night out. I'm a morning person, so I'm highly productive in the morning. So I wake up and typically I sit in bed and like get some work done while i'm everything is still nice and warm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Course from there. My routine has changed now that I have a son. Previously we would get up and go to the gym. That does not happen. Now we get up and we wait for him to wake up, wait for him to wake up. Then's breakfast, So him and I breakfast together, and usually I'm listening to some sort of news CNBC typically just trying to make sure or the New York Times Daily from the day before typically, so.
Speaker 1: Some sort of info there up before the Daily comes out, I believe.
Speaker 2: So I don't know actually know what time the Daily gets out, but it's.
Speaker 1: Like six am.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so maybe maybe actually I could listen to the to the current one, but I'm usually be behind.
Speaker 1: I skip the depressing ones. I'm like, I don't want to spend thirty minutes thinking about the state of the Union.
Speaker 3: Sorry, no, that's the one I want to hear, because I'm sure as hell was not able to form. Like I'm married the first thirty minutes of pompous circumstances that I'm out, I'm gonna go watch Paradise.
Speaker 1: So then just finish that.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 3: So then after the nanny arrives at around eight, not around at eight. And we also have an ad pair, So the odd pair now is up and online and with him at seven, so basically between like I'm sitting and eating with him, but she's still around in case I need to, you know, have my.
Speaker 2: Attention doing something else.
Speaker 1: And nanny.
Speaker 2: Have an AF pair and a nanny Now all.
Speaker 1: Pair is great? Why? Why? Why both? What is that?
Speaker 3: Because I travel so much now so his first year of life I didn't travel or he came with me because I was breastfeeding. Now that he's not attached to the boob, mama is al okay, but overnight.
Speaker 2: Or who's gonna watch him overnight?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Like all pair can only work ten hours a day, which she doesn't. She works like six or seven hours a day, and nanny could not work twenty four hours straight like that would.
Speaker 2: Be a lot.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So the nanny's rolling in to kind of pick up.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, well vice versa.
Speaker 3: The pair the nanny's a primary, the all pair is actually the gap closer.
Speaker 1: Oh really okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because his language development, he's he's a talker, so he needs someone who speaks really good English during the day.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So where's the ope. Where'd you get your pair from?
Speaker 2: She's from Brazil?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have I have friends. I have a friend who has who has been has had a great experience with all pairs.
Speaker 2: She's great.
Speaker 1: If I had the space, I totally have one. Because they got to have their own Yeah.
Speaker 2: They have their own room.
Speaker 1: If you do it through like a reputable surface, which we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kindly regulated actually.
Speaker 1: As it yeah, as it should be to protect them, it should be.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh yeah, check my background. But no, it's I mean, it's it's great. Like he gets basically a big sister playmate. And in those days where Josh and I are both out of town, we have a stable care system where the nanny's not being overworked and he's able to have two people that he trusts with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, alrighty, So the Nanny's arriving, and where.
Speaker 3: Danny's arriving, Mama's out, I'm out. So that's basically eight am. I'm working Okay, so eight am or that would be when I would go to the gym or plates. So assume a day I'm not working out, then I'm doing If it's day that I'm not working out, we would go for a walk too if it's warm, so that would be my little workout for the day.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm in the office. I'm out here in my.
Speaker 3: Studio going through typically the like prepping again for meetings, doing any prereads again that I didn't do the night before, and then just getting to it.
Speaker 2: Like depending on the day.
Speaker 3: I see my days and I talk about this in the book, but instead of context switching between all of the businesses that I have throughout the day, Like Tuesdays are Afrotech, so I meet with everybody on the afro Tech team. I have the Afrotech sales team meeting. I'm like reviewing all the Afrotech things. Mondays and Wednesdays are Blavity Fest and Blabvity Media Group, so I meet with the teams that way. Thursday and Friday are external. It's like today we're recording this. It is an external conversation. So I have five or six external meetings today, So depending on the day, I kind of know what's going to happen. And then I'm done with meetings by four thirty five. And I what you're eating during the day, Oh, I simple food, yes, early? Yeah, Lunch is usually like tuna salad or egg salad.
Speaker 1: And do you cook or do you have like a cook?
Speaker 3: I don't have a cook right now, but I've had seasons where I've had cooks and chefs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So again, like I very much believe that my village should be reflection on whatever season I'm in and when I need. So there's been times where I had a house manager and a chef, right, Langston, those two roles now are his, Okay, so get her. I used to have my call my house manager an adult nanny. She would make sure I was taken care of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I fucking love an adult nanny. I need my wife. I like a stereotypical sometimes.
Speaker 2: Choose everything you know.
Speaker 3: And then when when Langston was a super duper baby and like really really sleeping a lot, then his nanny was also a bit of an assistant and house manager because he was sleep half the time she was here.
Speaker 2: Now he's up and about.
Speaker 3: He needs full time attention, right So I'm always reevaluating what makes sense based off of the priority pillars that I have, and then also what's going to allow me to have the time and freedom to be able to get to the next level of what I'm trying to do. So right now, my focus is ensuring that I'm reaching as many people as possible with these principles and frameworks and methods and tools in the book. Second is to make sure that the media business, which is the toughest business to run in this type of economy, is stable and slightly growing. I will settle for slightly growing in this economy as long as we beat the market, I'm happy, okay. And then my third priority is just like re establishing and having time to envision what a new life looks like for me now that I am a mother and I am soon to be a wife and all of these different things those require a new vision for my futures. I'm just making more time for me to be quiet and to think and to dream what the next five ten years.
Speaker 1: Looks like for me, Okay, can we peek through that window for a second? Yeah, what do you think? What do you see when you look at the next five ten years.
Speaker 3: Well, I you know, I'm eleven years in as the CEO of Lavity. I think at some point I will continue to work with my team for there to be new leaders who take on the operating role. I will always have an owner role, but there's a difference between an owner operator and just an owner or an operator. So I look forward to transitioning, I think, into being more of an owner and less of a day to day operator. I think the second thing is, you know, I'm really enjoying working with small businesses, and I really enjoy helping entrepreneurs who are already doing well get to the next level, like whether that's raised their first round of funding, whether that's think about their own exit. You know, I've bought three businesses in the last ten years, so I know what it's like to go through an exit and to be on the other side of integrating.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want to be a.
Speaker 3: Venture capitalist, but I do believe in like being a good capitalist. In other words, maybe raising a fund and investing in small businesses and helping middle market companies get to the next level. So I think there's a lot of different ways that I can take it. You know, with more time, it will the opportunities will reveal themselves.
Speaker 1: I think that that's yeah, excited for what comes next. I also, you know, having been on the journey, like just as a as a yeah, from the outside looking in, it's been. It's fun. It's you're like a character in a story that I mean, I know.
Speaker 2: That you're a human beings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just think it's it's really Yeah. I think it's a privilege to get to follow you on that journey and like and every once in a while check in, see what's happening, what's this new iteration of Morgan? Like, and I just wish you so much luck with the book and I hope it is as huge as it deserves to be. I will be giving a copy to multiple solopreneur friends of mine who I feel like need it. And yeah, just let me know what Morgan coaching program I can sign up for.
Speaker 2: You can sign up for work Smart. We meet monthly.
Speaker 3: We have so much fun and we usually have about one hundred and fety people on the call.
Speaker 2: We talk about whatever's going on in the world and I just have people work through it.
Speaker 1: Amazing. All right, Morgan, y'all go check out her book, get pre order it now. I'm putting the link in the show notes. And do you have a book website. I'm sure you do. Rewrite your rules dot com.
Speaker 2: Rules dot com. There we go.
Speaker 1: All right, that's how you know she was talking to Tiffany. Everyone's got that book website.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think you need the tenth step plan and I shall follow it.
Speaker 1: I mean it, it works, it works, all right, va fan. Thanks for tuning in, Morgan, thank you so much for joining me Brown Ambition.
Speaker 2: Mandy, thanks for having me. See y'all later. Bye,