Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Shoe, Ketty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk, who has been at President Trump's side seen in the West Wing, now speaking out against Trump's plan Trump announcing a five hundred billion dollar artificial intelligence project, Musk now saying the money isn't there. The White House now saying listen to Trump.
Speaker 2: Not Musk. Oh, does the media love the idea of perhaps being able to drive a wedge between Trump and Musk because it's so scary. Oh, I saw a headline about that today, something about the oligarchy or whatever the hell.
Speaker 1: Oh, for goodness, says halload of crap, And honestly, and it's funny. I was listening to another podcast. Turns out there is another one. I've had it shut down by Trump because ours should be the only one. But and the question they were asking panel guys was, how long do you think before there's a rift between Trump and Elon? Two Alpha dogs? Is too many in the same room? And they're like, oh, not for a long time, blah blah blah. I don't know I'm not as optimistic. I just wonder how long it can last.
Speaker 2: Axiosi's headline today, America doesn't have a king, but we're dancing close to king like power, and they get into Trump and Elon running the world together.
Speaker 1: Dancing close to King like Power is the title of my new electronica album, Altho Way coming out Friday.
Speaker 4: That's really exciting. It drops Friday, It drops Friday.
Speaker 2: What was I gonna say, Elon? Well, Alpha, I don't. I don't even know what that term means anymore. But Elon seems to let things roll off him because he can. I mean, say whatever you want. The world's rich, just man by like double.
Speaker 4: Exactly. How you hurt me with your scathing words? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So there are a couple of really interesting Elon related conflicts.
Speaker 4: So the fact that he poo pooed the big.
Speaker 1: Announcement by Open Ai and soft Bank in Oracle like an hour after Trump was touting it as a wonderful, wonderful thing. That's not cool in any organization. And I think it's part of his autism spectrum thing. He just he doesn't. He doesn't because I deal with this on a regular basis. He doesn't get regular communication flow. He doesn't get the the what is the right term both physical and verbal signals that most people understand and get. People on the spectrum oftentimes don't understand. And I think he's one of those people. Yeah, yeah, there's some truth to that. I think how much is impossible to know from a distance. But I also think there is a bit of an element of we're talking business and finance and technology. With all due respect, mister hotel and golf course builder, I'm the best in the world at this. So you don't tell me what to say and what not to say about business and technology. Well, yeah, you gotta believe there's some element of that.
Speaker 2: Well, then he shouldn't have that job because you serve at the pleasure of the president, and the president's of the boss. Marco Ruby is not going to agree with all of Trump's foreign policy decisions. But you either resign or you carry out the boss's desires.
Speaker 1: Right, You've explained exactly why I believe what I believe that it's going to crack up.
Speaker 2: So you don't think he's going to go along with the boss the way Marco Rubio probably is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he can I don't. I don't think it's part of his being.
Speaker 4: I don't. It would be too weird and uncomfortable for him.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I hope they do wonderful work while they're going at it, and I want to talk about that for.
Speaker 2: The next forty eight hours, two forty years.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's it's it's fire, it's a oil in water, though not oil and water.
Speaker 4: It's tea and whatever. The end is a better way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but something explosive anyway, uh dur oh. So getting back to Elon Musk versus Sam Altman the catfight, this is where it gets really because Elon Musk said of the Giant Data Center announcement, they don't have the money.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was saying, they have a fraction of the money. They're talking about. This is this They're they're way over selling this thing. Again, like an hour and a half after the President had just touted it, Trump said, this will include the construction of colossal data center's massive structures. These buildings, big beautiful buildings are going to employ a lot of people.
Speaker 4: And then Elon says, well, he said essentially what I said.
Speaker 1: They don't have a fraction of the money they're gonna need, so his comments set off a war of words on his own media platform. X Altman initially sounded a conciliatory note, saying I genuinely respect your accomplishments and think you are the most inspiring entrepreneur of our time, and then he later posted that Musk's comments about SoftBank's funding were wrong, the first data centers already underway and quote, I realized what is great for the country isn't always what's optimal for your companies. But in your new role, I hope you'll mostly put America first.
Speaker 2: WHOA. Musk fired back with a string of posts that was all part of the same post or was that different posts? That was a little later, Okay, so okay, because I was going to say you can't start with the handy and then immediately jump to that.
Speaker 4: But they're different.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Oh anyway, so that was later. Musk fired back with a string of posts. Wednesday, he repeated criticisms vaultman open Ai, saying it's fake to one user's tweet citing the Stargate announcement. The Stargate announcement tweet elon Musk said it's fake. This is two days or a day after the President touted it as being wonderful.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm completely in your camp. Now it's gonna crack up. There's no another tweet saying Sam is a swindler. All right, Well that's too bad. I'm not happy about this. I usually am happy about this sort of thing because I like I like rich, powerful, famous people at each other. But I don't like this one. I'd rather these people could work together.
Speaker 1: Musk also retweeted a post showing a photo of what appeared to be a drug pipe and a baggy of powder under the caption leaked image of the research tool open AI used to come up with their five hundred billion dollar number for stargate.
Speaker 2: That's funny, Yes, that's pretty fund The level of you know, it's a coarse term, but the level of no fs to give you have when you're the world rich, just mad is something nobody's ever seen. Mefore you just cash out your thoughts about everything on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly, clearly true. So a little more technology, government and cat fighting that I found interesting. Oh that's right, then I've got like the important scientific thing. Anyway, Leaks are beginning to leak about the excuse me the conflict between Elon Musk and Vivey Kramaswami in Doge, the cover story being Hey, I'm going to run for governor of Ohio is going to take my time, And I guess Elon was more about cutting spending viveke who was more about cutting regulations. Honestly, it's tough to pick a favorite there. They're both huge priorities. So you got peanut butter in my chocolate? Why can't why can't they fit together?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 1: But some of the leaks are saying, though the claim is there is no hard feelings, the leaks are saying that, yeah, every meeting you have, if they comes in and he weighs in with strong opinions on everything.
Speaker 2: Wait, and the guy's just obnoxious. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, yeah, I know that that rapid fire of hyper confident manner of speaking that he has. Yeah, look, he's a he's a very very bright guy and has been very successful.
Speaker 4: He's very rich. He's worth listening to. But man, he's hard to take.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting. I've only known a handful of people like this in my life that I've ever like actually got to be in meetings with or whatever. But if you ever have, you know, I mean they dominate the room, and I mean they they feel like they should, they feel like they need to and usually nobody ever says anything to them. I've never been in a room where there's two of them. I don't know what that would be like. I've been in plenty of rooms where there's one of them and everybody has to sit there and listen to them go on, and they say some stuff that's clearly bs and they tell you boring stories, but everybody just nods and laughs because they're the big dog. And I've been in luck, but I've never been in a room where there's two of those people. And I don't know what that would look like. And I'm sure Elon and Viveaik was one of those situations, and.
Speaker 1: That was one of the other leaks that it was really starting to annoy Elon.
Speaker 2: Well, especially if you've been that way your whole life, every meeting you're in, little by little over your life, you got used to everybody sits there and listens to you and is amazed by your stories and laughs at your jokes, and then all of a sudden, you're in a room where somebody's like, now, my stories and jokes are good. Your suck. I mean, that's got to be quite shocking to those people.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was chatting with a friend who was a CEO of a company and retired. He had a very successful business career, and I was talking about a function we're at where somebody was very long winded, very I mean, like everybody was just praying to get on with it. And I already that it was not a funeral. And I'm being vague because these are all very nice people, but the person had a career where people had to listen to them. And I was saying, there's an enormous contrast between somebody who for an entire career had people who had to listen to them and somebody like me, who if I'm boring or whatever, my career goes away instantly, people turn you off. And exactly, and my friend said, yeah, that's the one thing I miss about being a CEO.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Every joke I told was hilarious, Every speech I made was brilliant. Everything I said was riveting, funny.
Speaker 4: How that ends?
Speaker 1: And uh yeah, yeah, that's a danger you've got to have of a wife or a buddy or a loyal assistant who's going to call you on yours. I mean, that's like the best thing you can have if you're in a position of power.
Speaker 4: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, I don't know if that happens very often.
Speaker 1: It's a rare relationship. Yeah, got to be handled carefully anyway. The thing I was going to get to, but I don't want to rush through it. Maybe we can do it next or a little later on in the hour. Is an absolutely terrific research scientist who has been studying various topics AI related and publishing really interesting takes on them. Did a big study of the bias, the political bias in AI systems that we've all kind of heard about and seen examples of. The takeaway is there's just no denying it at this point. Some of the particulars are really interesting.
Speaker 2: The alpha, it's beyond alpha. The Vik versus Elon thing remind me. And this is Katie, I want you to be around for this next segment. This story, this is probably a misogynist story of a female version of this that I witnessed one time.
Speaker 4: He's a pig, Katie, none of us like that.
Speaker 2: Is pretty interesting, so stick around for that coming up.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the inauguration, Mark Zuckerberg sat next to Lauren Sanchez and was caught, Yeah, it was caught laring at her ample Bosom, prompting a nearby and very horny Bill Clinton to say.
Speaker 4: What an amerateur.
Speaker 2: I don't know about the punchline. That was an interesting thing that happened. Of course, she was wearing a well, as Katie keeps pointing out, she was wearing underwear. She was letting Lingerie under her.
Speaker 4: Blame that Harlote Madonna.
Speaker 2: So getting to this story and producing underwear is outerwear.
Speaker 4: It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: I'm a little uncomfortable with this story because we were just talking about how Elon and Effect maybe couldn't get along. Because when do two people to two people, I won't say, guys, two people that are that successful ever end up in the same room as each other. Wait a second, people always look at me all the time in a room. Why are people looking at you? You know, neither one of them. I'd probably run into that very often and just and it's also like I was doing this the other day walking down the street. I was walking watching a couple of other dogs. Somebody's walking with their dog and as many as other dog and just the immediate you know, some dogs pass no problem, some dogs just they just they the energy. I don't know what it is. Nobody knows what it is. It's interesting, is the alpha, whatever it is. I experiences this one time with women. And I hate the fact that this is about looks and not about like power and intelligence, because it makes it seem like I think it only can be about looks, but in this case, it was about looks. So I worked at a radio station and the rees this is many years ago, Gladys. I worked at a radio station. Oh, Gladys is Gladys Gladdice as a getting ice surgery today, right, so she can't be here. I worked at a radio station and the receptionist was a hoty and she was like the only hotty in the building. It's very small radio station, and she had, you know, so that was her turf and she was the flirted with people everybody paid attention to, where everybody laughed at her jokes the way, you you know, because she went the hotti. Well, we got an intern for a while who was younger and hotter or as hot and uh and immediately, I mean it was like you could see sparks fly off these two people. It was like the dogs walking down the streets are just immediately. It was observable to me as the program director of that radio station, and it played out for months.
Speaker 4: Oh man, immediate hostility.
Speaker 2: Huh, just yeah, just immediate. Wait a second, just like I was saying with Elon and Vivek, why is everybody looking at her? Everybody always looks at me? And I think that other girl was having a little of why is anybody looking her? People always look at me? And just they had an experience that before. Does does that ring a bill Katie? Or am I just a misogynist?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Well both different?
Speaker 4: Yeah wait a minute, yeah false choice.
Speaker 6: Uh, that sounds like a battle of the egos thing there.
Speaker 4: Sure, but it's god.
Speaker 2: If you are the one everybody looks at and then all of a sudden people are looking at someone else, it's got a register in some level of your brain.
Speaker 6: I would think, Yeah, I could see how that would sting a little.
Speaker 2: You're like the has been hot chick. Well, it's it's all status.
Speaker 1: However, you get your status within the the organization or the society, the mini society you're in. If you're the left handed pitcher on the Yankees and they bring in, you know, Doug Kershar or whatever, Clayton Kershaw or or whomever, some other greater left handed pitcher, that that hurts, that burns just in any you.
Speaker 4: Know, society.
Speaker 2: I think doubt Elon was bothered much, but I can see how a vague hadn't run into that situation in quite some time where somebody else was getting all the attention and then people were listening to him the other guy more than him.
Speaker 6: Elon is so dense, and then just going back to how vi Vic was during like the debates and what notot how.
Speaker 2: Yea sufferable He's hard to take.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, incredibly bright guy, but so smug.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Elon has the option always if you're annoying me, gets out his check book. What's your company worth? Okay, forty billion dollars and that's my company? Now get out of here.
Speaker 4: I will open you.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk to you anymore. Yeah. God, the sparks flying off of these two women, it was just amazing. Eh. You two work it out, bite each other or urinate on it, smell it, do whatever it is you got to do, work out some sort of pecking order it.
Speaker 1: As a non misogynist, I suggest we sell this the old fashioned way in a tub full of jelate.
Speaker 7: No orry.
Speaker 2: The receptionist was my girlfriend, so I had to keep my mouth shut completely about the whole thing. But it was just very very tense, very tense around there for a while.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, we got a.
Speaker 2: New fire in the LA area. The weather is going to be really bad today again, and we're going to talk to a favorite meteorologist of us of ours is going to tell us about the conditions and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 8: New fire breaking out in Los Angeles along the four to five freeway. You're the Getty Center Museum, prompting evacuation warnings and parts of bel air flames at evers shooting up the hillside. That is, more than four thousand firefighters raced to battle the quick moving hues fire just north of Los.
Speaker 2: Angeles, how near the Getty Museum. That would be a tragedy obviously. And I just I saw some of the footage last night watching the news and earn awful lot of neighborhoods with a lot of houses nearby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, multiple new fires, not that shocking as the dry conditions continue and the winds are whipping. We're joined by Rick dickert Ams, certified broadcast meteorologists, long time presence in Southern California news and weather.
Speaker 4: Rick, it's a pleasure to have you back again. How are you.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Jack and Joe again we are We're looking at a really dangerous twenty four hours. We need to get through these twenty four hours with more high winds, tinder, dry vegetation, very low community values, the red flag warnings continue. You mentioned the two new fires, thankfully, the fire that broke out along the four to five near the Getty Center that has pretty much been contained. No structures were damaged or burned that had a handle on that. The huge fire, a much larger fire north of that location in northern La County in the Angelus National Forest that too, having burned over thousand acres, thankfully, has not burned a structure yet. That is burning more up in the forest land away from any neighborhood.
Speaker 2: The number of agres how many acres did you say?
Speaker 7: It was over ten thousand with a huge fire. The suppult of the fire along the FOURAL five was relatively small compared Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw the stat where it was five thousand eight in like an hour or two something like that. That's just stunning, and it's hard to imagine. Is that mostly the wind that causes it to burn so fast?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, there's a lot of there's a lot of things that contribute to what we've seen here in southern California over the last month. The weather doesn't cause the fire. Ninety five percent of fires, whether they are structure fires or wildland fires, are produced by man, some sort of ignition, anthropologically produced, whether it be infrastructure wires are whether it be arson, whether it be somebody working on a field and some little spark ignites the brush. That's how these fires start. The wind and the weather creates the scenario, those red flag conditions for those ignitions to spread. That's why we issue these red flag warnings. The National Weather Service does, and we are still under a red flag warning across much of southern California until ten am tomorrow. And what that means any existing fire or new fire will spread rapidly because of the weather conditions.
Speaker 4: Do you see any good news weatherwise in the yard medium.
Speaker 7: Turna, so again we just need to get through twenty four hours or so, and then after that there is going to be a dramatic shift. It's incredible when you look at Southern California weather and how bipolar it can be, and that we're going to shift into an onshore flow flow off the Pacific. The humidity values will rise, the temperature will drop, and by Saturday afternoon or evening, we're looking at rain, good rain, soaking rain, not so much that we're concerned yet about any of the burn scar areas where we could see mud walking debrif flows, but enough to soak up all this tinder dry vegetation. We haven't had significant rainfall since last spring, and that's what created this perfect storm, these firestorms, and that we had two years of abundant rainfall, mountain snow that allowed all of that brush, that chapparral, all of the vegetation that's indigenous to southern California to completely explode on the hillside. Then that was followed by months and months of little or no rain, and then the off conditions, the low relative humidities, the winds going from the land towards the sea, you get the ignition. Once that ignition happens, it takes off. And that's what we saw, unfortunately tragically with the Palisades fire near Malibu and above the citing area, above the Rose Bowl, the iconic Rose Bull. So now we're dealing with a couple of incidents out there that none of which are nearly comparable to those two.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if you saw Dave Chappelle on Saturday Night Live the other night, but he said the only conclusion you can draw is God hates these people. I mean, because that's a lot of things happening there. So, yeah, if it rains like it's supposed to rain, would that mean we're just kind of done with at least this round of disastrous fires.
Speaker 7: For well, yes, because I can't tell you in two weeks from now that you know, we're going to see another round of sure winds that will dry everything out a gag and we could see more red flag conditions, but it'll at least it's going to cleanse the city of all the in the soot, good ways and bad ways, because all that's going to run off into the ocean and that's going to create more issues. But The bottom line is is going to create an environment that is less suitable for what we've seen over the last several weeks. So it will rain here in southern California's starting sometime on Saturday. The timing is a little off, but we just need to get through twenty four hours after tomorrow morning into the interning. That's when we're going to shift the flow from the onshore direction off the Pacific, higher humidity, the winds will be gone, the red flag warnings will end, the high wind warnings that or an effect will end as well, and hopefully we can start to make that shift and we'll have one hundred containment of all of these incidents.
Speaker 4: Rick Tickert, you're the best, Rick. We sure appreciate it. Well done.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And Trump's flying out on Friday bringing the rain with him. Since I mentioned it, here's a little billy.
Speaker 1: Here, global warming across the southeast of the United States, record cold maybe said maybe somewhere in between, mister president.
Speaker 2: Here's a little Dave Chappelle talking about the fires from Saturday Night Live clip one.
Speaker 9: The other day on the news, they said these fires were the most expensive tragedy that ever have natural disaster. It's the most expensive natural disaster. It's never happened in the United States history.
Speaker 4: And you want to know why.
Speaker 2: I think that is.
Speaker 4: Because people in LA have nice stuff.
Speaker 9: I could burn forty thousand acres in Mississippi for like sixty seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, And here's a little more shippelle.
Speaker 4: And then I go on the internet and I.
Speaker 9: Watched these fire videos and I read the comments sections, and everyone's like, yeah, it serves these celebrities, right.
Speaker 4: I hope the house is burned down. You see that. That right there.
Speaker 9: That's why I hate poor people, because they can't see past their own pain.
Speaker 4: That is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He started with the whole thing. A lot of people would say, it's too soon to make jokes about the fires, but I'm going to, Uh, here's just a little more ushabelle.
Speaker 9: They all have these conspiracy theories what started these fires? Now they say it's arsonists. I've heard this theory, and I'm sure there were some arsonists, But there were a lot of elements that came together to make this fire. The catastrophe that was the winds were one hundred miles an hour. LA was as dry as the bone and the levees, and it was just too many factors. If you were a rational thinking person, you have to at least consider the possibility that God hates these people.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: Again, too much? How many times have I said that.
Speaker 2: If you're a rational thinking person, you have to at least consider the possibility that God hates these people. Well, so the rain's gonna come and then out of the woods. Can't use out of the woods as an EXPRESSI when the woods are burning down, can you.
Speaker 4: Well they're gone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ash.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that is good news.
Speaker 2: And coming up what he's gonna make I was gonna say Trump coming out on Friday, and he was making the argument last night on Hannity that this draws attention to FEMA, which has been ignoring North Carolina, and maybe we can, you know, figure out the funding for FEMA and everything like that, so they can help out areas of the country that people don't care about as much because there aren't movie stars there. Remember the North Carolina story, And this was true. This turned out to be true. They were not helping people who had Trump signs in their yards. That's insane. I mean, that is a diseased organization. You should shut the doors on whatever chapter that allowed that to happen. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well they fired the gall in charge. That was progress Ah coming up. Ai is a liberal. Why, it's pretty easy to understand and absolutely undeniable.
Speaker 2: Wow, I want to hear that.
Speaker 6: All I know.
Speaker 10: I say, you know what, the absolute worst thing for the environment is wildfires. A twenty two study found that the smoke from just the two in twenty twenty wiped out eighteen years of carbon reduction in the state, which means we suffered the pain of driving those early model priuses for nothing. California is the place that spends money and gets nothing, which is why you may have noticed when the fires broke out, no one escaped by high speed rail.
Speaker 2: Oh so nice. Thank god Bill Maher re upped. He's gonna do that job, he said, until they drag him off the set, because he's the only high profile lib who gets any attention for this sort of stuff. Right, I can't believe progressives still come to his show to get lectured about how wrong they are about things. But how about that eighteen years of minor gains. That's one of the reasons it was so easy to wipe out there are minor games and fighting climate change wiped out by the wildfires.
Speaker 1: You might want to grab our one of today's show via podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. In fact, if you subscribe, you'll just you'll have it handy without seeking it out. Against Armstrong and getting on demand, we're talking about a giant study and the science involved with the incredible expense of these tiny incremental gains. Humanity is quote unquote making against climate change when our ability to mitigate the effects of this stuff is huge it always has been throughout human history. It's we're spending a horrific amount of money on practically nothing when we could just mitigate the problems much more easily and everybody wins.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that's our one of the shows.
Speaker 1: So speaking of science, unless you had more on that topic, signor all right, I thought this was great. David Rosato, who's a research scientist. He's a computer guy. He's studies the institutional dynamics. AI buys all sorts of stuff, but he is posing question do AI systems like Chat, GPT or Google Gemini, for instance, lean left or right?
Speaker 4: He says past studies often used.
Speaker 1: Political quizzes to find out and We've seen anecdotal evidence on Twitter or whatever. Sure, he says, but those don't quite reflect real world user interactions with AI. In a new analysis, I take a different approach. I use four methods to assess political bias in AI generated text, comparing AI text with language from Democrat and Republican legislators, ideological viewpoints in AI generated policy recommendations, sentiment in AI texts toward political figures and political quizzes, and.
Speaker 4: Large language models.
Speaker 1: MS are more likely to use terms that are marketly used by US Democratic Congress members, much more likely than those marketly used by their Republican counterparts. You see a lot of criminal justice, public service, economic development, COVID pandemic, that sort of thing less about job, economic growth, job creation, border security.
Speaker 2: Oh, what you're done? But I think I can explain that without it being programmed biash.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, and then and I have a feeling you're where we're going. But when requested to provide policy recommendations recommendations for the US on various topics, llms often generate proposals that lean far left. And we'll post now that link to this at Armstrong and Giddy dot com. He's got all sorts of really interesting computer generated graphs and stuff that's be incredibly cumbersome to describe on the radio Slash podcast. But lllms tend to use more positive language when referring to left leaning public figures compared to the right leaning counterparts. The super interesting chart of that political orientation tests tend to diagnose conversational LLM answers to questions with political connotations as manifesting left leaning political preferences. You ever take one of those tests, what kind of what are your politics? Are you an independent, conservative, fiscal something or other? Well, they plot that out on a AI conversations as well, and they lean left their Democrats, And then he ranked twenty of them from least politically biased to most. Interestingly, the least politically biased LLM was Google Gemma one point one two b IT, and the two most biased were also Google products various iterations.
Speaker 2: I see. I don't believe they're being programmed to be liberal. I just don't believe that. I think there's too much money at stake, and I just don't think that's their intention. And I also think it's more interesting if these things end up being liberal when they weren't programmed that way. Then the answer of well, they're program that way on purpose because they're liberals, I think it's more disturbing and something to be worried about. If these things tend to go that direction on their own, that's what I find that's scarier. Yeah, the SOAMJ. Puchai or whatever his name is programming it that way on purpose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I disagree that that's not happening.
Speaker 1: Whether it's you know, eighty twenty, just the nature of the thing versus the people who are working on it, or ninety ten or fifty to fifty, I don't know. But anyway, Rosato points out, the bias is not necessarily intentional. Large language models are pre trained on vast amounts of Internet content, including news articles.
Speaker 4: All right, anybody like to pipe in here?
Speaker 2: And this is why I wanted to put in the part that you're always complaining about the right adopts the left's language. So even if the LM is looking at Fox and AM talk radio, those people, for whatever reason use terms like pro choice instead of pro abortion, or gender affirming care instead of sex change, or all kinds of different examples. An undocumented immigrant instead of illegal immigrant.
Speaker 4: I don't know, why people migrant now for some reason, Jack.
Speaker 2: Right, migrant. I don't know why people on the right adopt the left's language. But I mean, if the LM is going to go out there looking for the language, it's all the left's language.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, to answer your tangent, I think it's because they want to be accepted by the cool people, and it disgusts me. But anyway, so back to disgusting. Jeez, have some courage, I know, yeah, please, these are important questions. Anyway, risk being slightly less popular at pickup time at your kid's seventy five thousand dollars a year third grade, you know, by standing up for your beliefs. Anyway, but back to Rosado. Here's how the lms train themselves and Jack interrupted me rudely after only one example, but the commentary is the same on each one. Practically, they train themselves on news articles, Wikipedia entries, eh, social media posts wildly varied blah, and academic papers.
Speaker 2: Oh lordy, this is like the story from a couple of weeks ago of why the experts often agree with the liberals. It's because all the experts are liberals, just my definition. So in all these various areas of study. There are one hundred. They're somewhere between ninety two and one hundred percent lefties that are the professors. So if you go looking for an expert, of course the expert live agrees with So this is what's happening here and.
Speaker 1: Then now, Resata points out these biases can become more pronounced during the model's fine tuning phrase when human trainers guide it on conversational norms. Even well intentioned trainers may inadvertently influence the model by incorporating their own perspectives or assumptions about their employer's expectations.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and that's where the human part comes. Sure, there'd be no getting around that. A fish doesn't Alwa's wet. I mean, if you're like so into your worldview, you don't even know it's different than most people. That could happen. If you're right that it's on purpose, that would be good news. If my theory is that these things just go that direction, that would be bad news, because I don't know how you combat that.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, that's that's unquestionably a lot of it, if not most of it. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wonder if this happens in computers the way it happens with human beings. Tim Sanderfer and I forget the name of it. Somebody's law, somebody's name law.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of those Johnson's law is that any organization drifts left unless it's specifically designed to be right wing, and it just tends to be true. Everything drifts left over time for some reason. And I wonder if that's just what's going on here, which would be horrifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the answer might be.
Speaker 1: Of course, we don't know what AI is going to be five weeks, much less five years. Answers don't be worshipful of it, understand where it came from and what it is, and it's gonna lean left.
Speaker 2: I have no idea how this is all gonna play out. Of course, that doesn't matter if I of course, you're gonna have a sassy, progressive, left leaning sex robot. It's always lecturing you. I can't have sex with you today. I need to go to the anti pro choice to whatever march downtown. Your sex robot it's gonna best.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like a reincarnation of Margaret Thatcher is better looking. It's gonna lecture me I'm being too much of a liberal.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. Oh boy. If you miss an hour, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty