Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess.
Speaker 3: I am all in again with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast. Without further ado, I want to hear your biggest stars.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome for mister Scott Patterson. Hey everybody, how are you? Oh?
Speaker 4: There is a lot of you out there. My gosh, Hi, Amy, how you doing? You all looks so good? Oh, my goodness. Well yeah, and there's Bobby.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bobby, how you doing? Buddy? Uh?
Speaker 4: It's very hot to be wearing a jacket like this, but I wanted to come out and at least be somewhat recognizable as the character.
Speaker 1: Did I pull it off? I don't know anyway.
Speaker 4: So listen, this is just this little show, right, this tiny, tiny little show that built itself up into this phenomenon. Right, And you remember all when you discovered it. It could have been two thousand or two thousand and five, but now it's twenty four years later, going on twenty five.
Speaker 1: And look at this, Look at what we have done with this amazing fan base.
Speaker 4: You are all responsible for this, So thank you very very much for your dedication and loyalty. And yes it's sunny. Look at that. Look at all the shade where's everybody from? Where are you from?
Speaker 1: Where are you from? Right here? Right here? Where? Where? Detroit? So they get Gilmore girls in Detroit? Is it in English? Yes? Yeah? There? Well where are you from? Pink shirt? Loureli shirt? Yeah, where are you from? Where?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you came up the one oh one? Yeah, there you go. Where are you from? Right here in the front row? Here, second row? Where are you from? Hey, Vinnie, how are you doing? How are you doing? Buddy? Huh?
Speaker 4: So anyway, this tiny little show, tiny little show grows into this monolith? And does it feel great to be a part of this? Does it really really really feel great to this?
Speaker 1: And what about? Okay? First of all, Hi, I love you too. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen a show where so many of the cast members have gone on to do huge things?
Speaker 1: Win awards, get nominated for Oscars, as Melissa did.
Speaker 4: And I mean Rose Abdu, who I'm gonna call out here in a minute, is on a She's getting nominated seemingly every year she's on Hacks.
Speaker 1: Now, So Lauren.
Speaker 4: Graham going on to do great things, I mean, it's just it's amazing. I want you to know that I personally have been nominated twenty years ago for E News is what they call the Golden Potato Award, and it's a best Chemistry with Lauren Graham, right. So I've got that in my library. I'm very proud of it. It's the only award that I think I ever ate every year. And this is something you probably don't know. Lauren and I get together to celebrate this. We get together in Sun Valley, Idaho, and we have a potato together. So it's it's always good seeing her. It's always great to eat a potato. I want to introduce to you some of the best people that I have ever known in this business. And they are here today, my intrepid crew from my podcast I am all in. They are here, and first and foremost there's Amy Sugarman right there.
Speaker 1: Give us awave.
Speaker 4: Amy Sugarman right there in the sunglasses looking very northern California. In southern California. It was one phone call during the pandemic and I called Amy and I thought I had some kind of an original idea.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is going to blow your mind. Amy. I've never seen Gilmour girls. I was on it.
Speaker 4: Let's do a podcast where I watch it, not rewatch it, but watch it for the first time. She goes, you know what, let me run it up the flagpole, original idea, groundbreak, going to change the business. She comes back the next day says, we got a deal. Nine months later, six months later, we were doing our first recording. Then I realized, oh Amy produces like ten of these shows. So anyway, she made me feel like it was my idea. And that's one of the reasons why I love her so much. So Amy, thank you. She she is the beating heartbeat of this podcast, and she has done so much for the fans over her thirty year careers.
Speaker 1: I also want to introduce Danielle Rommel. You know her, you love her.
Speaker 4: There's Danielle Hi, Danielle, thank you for everything that you do. Tara sued in the Sunglasses, Tara suit Box, a major contributor to the Intrepid Crew, and.
Speaker 1: The one and only Suzanne French.
Speaker 4: We call her spread Seat Spreadsheet Suzanne because she's got spreadsheets and facts and figures like you cannot believe thee She's gonna go work for the CIA now. We're gonna lose her, but she's gonna be in Washington now. So congratulation on that.
Speaker 1: Anyway. There's Emma Markham over there, Wave Emma.
Speaker 4: She's a new member of the team and doing fantastic work. I also want to thank Warner Brothers James Pettitt h for being just about the best friend a guy could ever have. He shepherded a lot of this through. It took a lot of organization. David Finch and consumer Products, Danny Kahn, tours so many people, Joanne, Jerry, you name it. This is such a wonderful group of people. You think this is a big, you know, movie studio. Guess what it's made up of? Great people.
Speaker 1: Carrie, how you doing, Buddy?
Speaker 4: Hey Deanna, nice to see you. Dean and Will. These are friends from where I live. Hey, guys, there and there. He must be in the front row. So thank you Warner Brothers. We have new partners.
Speaker 1: Now with Hulu.
Speaker 4: Gilmore Girls is now going to be on Hulu along with Netflix, so you get two for one. All right, I'm gonna start bringing out these guests.
Speaker 1: You ready?
Speaker 6: Are you ready? He played Taylor Dozye. He you know him, you love him. He had a lot of issues with Luke. We had a lot of very memorable scenes together. One of my favorite actors in the entire business.
Speaker 4: Mister Michael Winters, Ladies and gentlemen, I wonder if the show I think they have uh Next, I'd like to bring out Sally Struther's very tall, very thin husband, Ted Rooney, Maury.
Speaker 1: It wasn't in the script.
Speaker 4: And also we have one of the most controversial and most beloved figures, especially if you're a Rory fan. He once said to Rory, You'll never make it, and thereby firmly embedded himself deep in the heart of all Gilmour fans. That and he is reminded of this every time he is in an airport. By the way, Greg.
Speaker 2: Henry Mitcham Huntsberger, where you want?
Speaker 1: That's Ted? Yeah, yeah, there he is. You love him right, huh?
Speaker 4: I also want to introduce an actress who is second to none.
Speaker 1: What are the great character actresses of this time or any other?
Speaker 4: Can do any accent, can do any character, any feeling evoked. She's on a hit series now called Hacks Rose abdu Gypsy. Well, Ladies and gentlemen, how are you have a little popcorn?
Speaker 1: He letus have a little discussion.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about the first time you came in contact with Gilmore Girls. Tell us about it, Rose the script, What did you think?
Speaker 7: So? I moved here from Chicago.
Speaker 8: Chicago in November of two thousand and one, and it was my birthday, and the very next day I had the audition for Gypsy. I was so excited and I went in and I knew that everybody was talking fast on the show. That's all I really knew about the show was how fast everybody talked.
Speaker 7: So I decided to.
Speaker 8: Give Gypsy an accent, and I went in and the only note I got from Amy Sherman Palladino was Okay, now go even faster. So that was the scene with I can't look at this car anymore, and the.
Speaker 7: Rest is history.
Speaker 8: And I was so thrilled because I thought I was going to do one episode and it ended up being a seven year, lovely time and I just couldn't be more grateful to be here with all of you, because the fans, like Scott was saying earlier, we just love you guys so much, and you make our lives so rich and wonderful. When you think you get one job in television and then it just goes away, this is an enduring twenty five year thing, and don't you think we should all do something really special for the twenty fifth anniversary.
Speaker 1: Emily, your first contact with Gilmore, what was that like? Do you remember it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I remember, I remember getting the script and.
Speaker 1: No, I don't remember.
Speaker 5: But it's a good script and it's a good show. And I was when I went in. Yeah, I was like, uh, yeah, talk fast. So I talked as fast as I could. Yeah. My girlfriend worked on the show and she goes, oh my god, I can't talk that fast.
Speaker 8: As a try, I always said, I don't talk too fast, you listen too slow.
Speaker 9: It's a good one.
Speaker 8: I love being here because if Gilmore real. Gilmore fans know that Missus Kim and Gypsy have never met. Never right, Emily and Rose know each other. But if you think about it, have Missus Kim and Gipsy ever been in the same scene?
Speaker 7: Never?
Speaker 4: One that could be a nice spin off that could work. Gentlemen, start your engines. Greg Henry, yeah, one of the great actors. What was your first experience with Gilmore?
Speaker 1: Well, my first.
Speaker 10: Experience I think was was was on set as I recall it, and uh.
Speaker 1: I met Amy.
Speaker 10: We had a conversation and uh, and she was, uh, very charming and very funny and and very quick, very fast, spoke very fast actually, and uh. And then I went to work on it and I think I think Jamie Babbitt directed that one and uh and and that was my first experience. And and then I, you know, I was lucky have to do some.
Speaker 4: More Jamie Babbitt. Yes, Jamie Babbitt did a lot of episodes. She was did a couple of year, several a year. She directed the episode where I pushed Jess into the lake. Actually, but on the walk up to that scene, right, there's a walk and talk before I even do that.
Speaker 1: Thirty takes we did.
Speaker 4: We were the first scene up and it was about it was almost pushing lunch by the time we got to do the lake push. And we only had the opportunity to do one take because it would take so long to read, you know, to dry his hair and redo his makeup and you know, get him new clothes because he would have to go all the way back to base camp, which is here, and we shot it somewhere over there, so it was just kind of one take and then we went to lunch.
Speaker 1: Most memorable scene, ted.
Speaker 11: It has to be a little and that Sally and I. By the way, Sally and I went to the same high school in Portland, Oregon, if you can believe it, and I had a little story lined up as you asked. The first experience with Gilmore Girls was on the first day on the set. Sally and I were sitting next to each other in these director chairs. We hadn't even talked to each other, but I knew that my dad was purported to be her favorite teacher math teacher in high school. And she was a big star from all in the family when I was growing up, so I, you know, I knew exactly who she was. And I sat down next her and she goes, oh, it's so hot today, just like today, right, And I said yeah, and I like the summer's in Portland, Oregon. And she goes, are you ed Rooney's son.
Speaker 1: She got it.
Speaker 11: She got it. In that very moment, she remembered she knew my dad. She saw this long face and she recognized it. But then we had this lovely moment on our steps. In one of the first episodes where little romantic episode, it took a moment. I think it was after Cinnamon had died, so we were kind of reconnecting. And what I love about that moment, besides being with Sally, was that Sam Phillips, who was one of my favorite singer songwriters for the previous twenty years, had written the Little Little you know how she writes these little yeah moments and just for that thing. And so at the Christmas party when I spoke to her, she said, yeah, I wrote that just for you guys. And I'm like, oh my god, one of my favorite writers, you know alive wrote something specifically for us. I thought that was so so cool. Oh and then t Bon Barnette, who was her husband at the time, said hey, Sam really wants to meet Lauren, and so I got to bring Sam to meet Lauren. It was really cool, really cool at the Christmas party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michael, Yeah, yeah, first experience with Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about it?
Speaker 3: Well, it was before the show even aired. It was just another thing that I did an audition for. And it was supposedly four episodes about the I guess it started about the seventh episode, but I had never seen it. I had no idea what it was like. And I got the script and I read it and I read it again and I thought, now, is this laugh out loud funny or is it something different? I never could figure out, and then I got the part anyway, And when I first came to work on it, I started to hear about how fast we had to go because what Amy and Daniel, her husband, who were both involved in it, were great fans of nineteen thirty screwball comedies, which you may have seen on TCM or something like that. But they all just talked a mile a minute. Everything went mile a minute, and so that's what they were thinking. And I found that out after I had the job and started to learn this stuff.
Speaker 1: So it just rolls off the.
Speaker 3: Tongue really fast, no hanging around for anything. So my first thing was that first day I started to work, and then my first scene was with Scott and we started our series long what is it clash? Yeah, I was decorating the whole town for Halloween and he wanted nothing to do with it. And so the first shot I remember very clearly doing was sneaking pumpkins up onto the front steps of the cafe. And then about a month ago I was on Scott's podcast and so we were going to talk about that episode. So I watched it again and that scene appeared nowhere, So I have no idea whether I really shot that or I can't remember. Maybe I just forgot it or it just went away. Anyway, That's how it began. Fast talking that I think will work for everybody.
Speaker 4: Have you ever worked on a show rose that required you to speak so quickly?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 8: This show and Scandal were the two where you really had to move quickly. But I remember my very first scene was with Ed Herman and Jared who played Dean. And by the way, everyone asks me this, and I must have said this maybe before to you, but they ask which team.
Speaker 7: I'm Team Dean, Because team Dean Dean, you know, maybe not for Rory, but for me.
Speaker 8: What a great kid. Now, not in a romantic way, come on, but Gypsy loved Dean. She I love his car. He had the best car, and that's how Gypsy judges everyone whose car needs not so much work, you know, But I loved him.
Speaker 7: But it was a night shoot.
Speaker 8: It's so crazy being back here because I was with Ed Herman and Jared and we just had so much fun late at night shooting. And I was telling Scott this earlier. Just know that how you feel right now in the sun. That's how hot it was. When we were trying to pretend it was a chilli fall day and stars Hallow, Connecticut. It was always right this hot like most of the most of the time, or if it was supposed to be really hot in the show, it would really be freezing cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, says town hall meetings is like being in a sweat lodge.
Speaker 1: Michael and I lost a lot of weight.
Speaker 4: Everybody lost a lot of weight in those rooms in our winter clothing. Right, it's a one hundred and twenty degrees in there when they're Oh my god, probably fifteen sixteen hours when we're doing those things because so many people have to be covered. You know, Emily, did you ever experience a town hall meeting?
Speaker 1: Were you in a town hall meeting?
Speaker 4: Ye? Ever?
Speaker 9: I was so jealous of you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't be we oh we It.
Speaker 4: Was hotten there and it was enjoyable making the scenes and they were great scenes, but boy, there was a price to pay in sweat. We can't talk about Gilmore Girls without talking about the Gilmore Girls, right, Lauren Graham and Alexis Bludell.
Speaker 5: I loved him.
Speaker 4: What was your Emily, your first experience working with both Lauren and Rory.
Speaker 5: Like Rory, Alexis was just like Rory. She would always be reading books. She was so quiet and we had a termite scene and you know, I didn't want to hurt her, so you know, she I was like poking her with my thing, but I was trying to be kind and she goes, Emily, just hit me with it. It's easier, So I said, you sure, So I did, and she liked that.
Speaker 9: But she was just like her character.
Speaker 5: She just adorable, and Lauren was just like her character too, by in many ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you? What about you? Rose?
Speaker 8: I just remember the episode where it was the whole town was split because you had broken up or there were ribbons.
Speaker 7: What was that one? Ribbons?
Speaker 8: Yeah, And it was like I just love the line you don't know a pistol from a pepperoni. And I just remember thinking, like, you know, you fix your own truck. So it was like Gypsy didn't care if Luke and Laurel I ever got back together. But Lauren was so much fun to work with and I played I played it like Gypsy's secret was Gypsy really just thought everything that Laura I did was just the best and she just had a just a girl crush on her.
Speaker 7: I just love that.
Speaker 8: And then I remember getting to be in the Emily's bachelor party, bachelorette party. Who's Emily? That was my favorite line, Who's Emily? And I got to be in the house. It was so exciting for Gypsy to be in the house.
Speaker 7: It was really a cool experience.
Speaker 1: And you played more than one character.
Speaker 7: That's right in the revival.
Speaker 8: I'm so flattered that people are like I thought right away the fans would go, that's Gypsy in a curly wig.
Speaker 7: But I got to be Berta and Berta.
Speaker 8: I had so much fun doing Berta because Amy wanted a language that Spanish speakers cannot understand a thing of, you know, she wanted it to sound just enough like Spanish, like that no Spanish speaker could ever understand it.
Speaker 7: So I made up my own language.
Speaker 9: And lallo.
Speaker 1: A little more hello.
Speaker 8: I just remember thinking I made a word for crab meat that was kinda greppolo.
Speaker 4: Michael, do you remember the first time you worked with either one of those?
Speaker 3: Well, I remember the first time I met Lauren. She told me what my birthday was because it's the same as hers. And right out of the choot. That was the first connection I made with her, and we came back to that often. And I don't remember what the scenes were early on because I was just sort of in a daze about what was going just getting through it. But I got to work with both of them quite a bit, which was great. But of course I was always sort of an antagonist toward almost everybody else.
Speaker 12: That you run into in the show, so.
Speaker 3: We never had very sweet moments together.
Speaker 1: I can't say that.
Speaker 11: Ted, what about you, I'd have to say the Simmons Wake episode. That was my big episode, by the way, thank you, thank you, thank you. Yeah. But you know, as a method actor, you have to imagine what if your cat died, right, And so I spent some time with that cat before they killed it because I asked them to, because I needed to have that for my No I didn't know, of course, not g whiz, but still I wanted it to be an emotional moment. I wanted to be true to the story, even though this is a comedy, and it was so great to have Alexis there right next to me when I'm having a moment and she comforts me. So that was special. And I'm very much in line with who she is too. So she never really acted, by the way, She's not that great of an actor. She just brings herself to it. I guess that's what good acting is all about, though, right, No, she's so sweet and she brings that to the camera and keeps the tempo going too.
Speaker 10: She's going, Greg, Well, I worked with Alexus most most of the time. That's uh and uh. And and like you said, I mean she was always just off reading, you know, but she was always very very lovely and sweet and smart and uh and funny and present and in the moment and just a wonderful, wonderful actor.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 10: To contradict a little bit, but it's really amazing and uh.
Speaker 9: And Lauren I I only.
Speaker 10: Worked with one time, I think, uh and uh. And it was when I was sort of screaming at Matt and it was that's a whole sort of episode, and so we we didn't really have much except like two lines or something like that. So but I liked her a lot, and I think she's really good.
Speaker 4: I remember getting up to We shot the pilot in Toronto, as you all know, and there was a Unionville was a town, right on the outskirts of Toronto, and that's where the Lukes Diner was, and that's that opening shot of the pilot. That's that nice little street in Unionville, Ontario. And I got into the set early on my first dad. I was just hired as a as a guest star for the pilot. But my manager said to me, you know, the pilot script opens with Luke's Diner and it ends with luke Diner, So I think there's something might be there. This might be a chemistry check and if you pass the test.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can get more episodes. And I'm like, ah, probably maybe.
Speaker 4: And I got there a little early because I was pretty excited to shoot and be there and just sort of check out the Lukes Diner set. And I saw I came in the back and I saw Lauren and Alexis rehearsing those scenes, you know, the scenes they had with the guys that are coming up and hitting on them and all that, those funny scenes, and the.
Speaker 1: Chemistry between those two was electric. It was so amazing.
Speaker 4: That timing was there, the flow was there, everything was there, and I really believed them as mother and daughter. So I thought to myself, well, we've got something very very special here, because if this works so well, then the whole thing's going to work.
Speaker 1: And it did.
Speaker 4: And then when I did my first scene with Lauren when she comes up and says a coffee, coffee, coffee, I mean I could just tell that there was something special there to work with and that it was going to be a fun ride.
Speaker 1: So I was, you know, at the beginning of the first day, I thought, this has a chance.
Speaker 4: You know, I really really thought it was a great connection with everybody.
Speaker 1: Emily tell us about working with Keiko Agenna.
Speaker 4: She is, in my in my estimation, one of the most unsung actresses in the business. I mean, she's incredibly well crafted, works on a very deep level.
Speaker 1: Well tell us about that.
Speaker 9: Keiko and I hit it off immediately.
Speaker 5: Everything Keiko, everything she did was honest and so pure.
Speaker 9: So it was just a joy working with her.
Speaker 5: And by the end of the first season, I felt like she was my kid, so I didn't have to act anymore. So you know that scene where I kick her out of the house, it was heartbreaking. It was I almost couldn't talk because it's like when your child lies to you for the first time and it rips your guts out, but you have to for they're good, you have to like kick.
Speaker 9: Them out of the house or punish them.
Speaker 5: So all that stuff was so easy thanks to Keiko's purity and her honesty in her work.
Speaker 4: I'm lucky, Rose, tell us your least favorite moment on Gilmour.
Speaker 8: I knew you'd have a good surprise for me. I have to say, what was going to do? The town always smelled. The town either smelled like pickles, right, ratten eggs.
Speaker 7: There was a smell.
Speaker 8: So it was one of the episodes where they came at me with a necklace made of trees like those car freshener air fresheners, and wanted me to wear a necklace made of those little pine trees. Yeah, and the guy who made the the perps guy, was like, yeah, I couldn't be in the same room with it, and I was like, well, then, how am I going to wear it for twelve hours? So that that was the only bad memory that And when what was the episode where the car whose car crashed through your diner window?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, was that was that?
Speaker 2: Remember? That?
Speaker 1: Was that? TJ who?
Speaker 7: Yes, that's right? Yeah, yes, thank you.
Speaker 8: They know the show much better than any of us you know that give yourselves a round of applause. So I remember they wanted me to get under the car and there was like this much room to get under the car, so it was one hundred and eight in the shade. So those are the only terrible memories where the bad smelling car freshen her necklace and trying to get under a car on a dolly, which was a great ab workout to roll in and out underneath a car. So I really missed those days of being gypsy having to repair the cars. And I did learn a little bit about automobile repair. Yeah, and I think I said this last time I was here, but the motor oil was always a one steak sauce, so I can't smell that to this day. Scott, take after take of having that sticky sauce on your hands. So that scene and the scene I had with you, that was a fun scene when it was like, you know, if guys you strip your gears, you ride your brakes, and if if we don't laugh when you make a joke, you think we're stupid.
Speaker 1: I love that one. This is this is when I'm investing getting Max.
Speaker 7: You come and ask me about Jess, I think, I know, I.
Speaker 1: Think okay, So it was just okay.
Speaker 7: I just remember I hit a lot of car oil to touch.
Speaker 3: I remember that episode too because I was working in Seattle, which I did a lot of the time during the run, and then it would come down for big chunks of time and do the show. But this was one of the first episodes of whatever season it was, and I had to come down. I had to shoot everything I did in one day because that's all I had. I would fly down from Seattle, do the day, fly back the next day.
Speaker 1: I'd do a play up there.
Speaker 3: Well this day a guy driving a car through the front window. You get one shot at it. There was only one time, and there was a lot of dialogue and stuff before it getting up to it, and I had one of those walking talks where I had a long speech that I had to do word perfectly one time, and so we'd ran, we'd run up to the crash over and over again, and then finally, okay, we got to do this, and uh, and we did. But it was scary. It was scary, and then you watch the guy drive a car.
Speaker 12: Through the front of the set you've been working on for months.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 4: Follow us on Instagram at i Am All In Podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com