Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: On a Tucker Tuesday, Ross Tucker again in the Big Chair. Tomorrow will be my last day this week, filling in for Dan who's on a family VACA. And all I can think about was the joy of victory and the agony of defeat last night. You know, the contrast is just ridiculous. I'm watching and we actually before the show, Paully had some of the video that we were checking out. The Panthers players throwing off their gloves, taking off their helmets, running onto the ice like their eight year olds going to get ice cream. I mean, it was just the pure joy. Meanwhile, the looks on.
Speaker 3: The Oilers' faces.
Speaker 2: And then the College World Series where Tennessee wins it for the first time in school history.
Speaker 3: They go out there.
Speaker 2: But by the way, you do not want to be at the bottom of a dog pile like that. I've at the bottom one of those piles one time. That's not a fun experience. You're like, get off of me now. I mean, you get three or four dudes on top of you. That is not a good feeling. So hopefully not on the bottom, and hopefully doesn't last too long. And then the tax A and m players. You see those guys, they it was like they were statues. They were just staring out at the Tennessee guys celebrating. I think that's an interesting phenomenon that I've never experienced, which is losing that championship game.
Speaker 3: It seems like the losing team they could just leave.
Speaker 2: At least in baseball, the tex Ay and Maggie's could just leave. Hockey's a little different because they have that end of series handshake, which.
Speaker 3: By the way, that you know, when you're like a high school football player, at the end of the game, you go there to go good game, great game, great game, good game, great game, good game, gread game.
Speaker 2: That's forced the end of series hockey handshake line. It just seems so genuine and authentic. It seems like Bill Lindsay, our guy that came. I think it's one of the things I love so much about hockey is just the authenticity of the guys.
Speaker 3: PAULI.
Speaker 4: It's one of those traditions. I can remember the first time I saw it, I was, you know, probably a kid. I was like, no one else does this. You don't see baseball they run in pylon. Sometimes in baseball in the World Series, a guy will be on the top step a losing team and watch the painful celebration of the other team. Or football, I've seen some players they sit there and watch. They want it to dig yet, yeah, they want to be burned in their mind. But that's one of the traditions that if it's not in your sport, it's never going to be in your sport, you know that. Like football, ever, say you know what NFL player should do after the Super Bowl, let's line up. It's never gonna happen. They rope you off right.
Speaker 2: Hockey, they come flying out there with the ropes and you're on the wrong side of them.
Speaker 4: It gives hockey players, especially for those who are casualt hockey, when they watch the Stanley Cup final, a new level respect at the end when they see that. If you when you see it for the first time.
Speaker 2: The eye contact did they make with each other, like you could you could teach your kids the proper way to shake someone's hand. They look at each other, they give them a firm handshake and you can tell they say good job man, great, great, great job man, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Like that is awesome.
Speaker 2: There's so many awesome parts of hockey, so many awesome parts of filling in for Dan, including the unbelievable audience we have, everybody watching on Peacock, all of the folks listening on all the different Fox Sports radio affiliates. I know a bunch of you guys that maybe you listen to parts of the show while you're in the car or whatever. You listen to the rest on pop later. Please check out the Ross Tucker Football podcast if you're ever missing me or during football season.
Speaker 3: Love the social media.
Speaker 2: Interaction at DP show. I'm at Ross Tucker NFL. Certainly you can always go to Dan Patrick dot com as well. We're gonna be joined by Maddie Rose in a minute or two here to get the perspective. We had them on yesterday and it was pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: It wasn't mean.
Speaker 2: Spirited in any way, but it was very clear that I think, you know, it's weird because I don't like rooting for people to lose, but I also appreciate the high level of I don't know what agitation contempt that they have for each other between Edmonton and Calgary.
Speaker 4: Paul, Yeah, we've been talking about this going back to last week. If you're Canadian and you're not a fan of the Edmondson Oilers, any part of your root for the Oilers against the Panthers because Canada has been shut out of the Stanley Cup their teams have for ninety three, right, nineteen ninety three. Is there any part of you that would like to see your rival top of the American team?
Speaker 2: And what's interesting about that is, like, so the Flyers have not won the Cup in a long long time, the seventies. Okay, let's say it was reversed, and let's say an American team hadn't won the Cup in thirty years and the Canadians had been winning it all the time. If it was like the Penguins in this Stanley Cup final, I'm just telling you right now, not a single person.
Speaker 3: In Philadelphia would root for the Penguins.
Speaker 2: Not a So like, on the one end, we we're like surprised that these guys in Canada aren't rooting for the other Canadian teams because we think they're nice and is this important for your country? Don't you want to see them win? Meanwhile, if rules were reversed and it was the Rangers or the Penguins, Flyers fans would watch it with intense passion, rooting for the Canadian team another country, a different country, as opposed to Like I said, there were more Americans rooting for the Oilers last night, a higher percentage than there were Canadians. Speaking of Americans, the best American athletes looked to punch their tickets to the Paris Olympics. The US Olympic team trials part of making Team USA. I looked at it a little bit last night when I flipped over or at NBC last night, it was the steeplechase, which is.
Speaker 3: My all time favorite.
Speaker 2: Why are you there's a track where they run events and all of a sudden there's an event where they have to jump over this thing and avoid the water.
Speaker 3: What are we talking about? Now?
Speaker 4: That seems like really old school, Like it wasn't just we were bored in the normal four hundred meters are getting boring and let's throw in a big, you know, thing of water.
Speaker 2: But you can you imagine like you you're in charge of getting the new track together, and you know, you get it, get to one and a half million dollars and you're like, well, don't forget you need to get the gate and the water and the hole for this people chase, like what we're trying.
Speaker 5: To already want to put the hole in the water?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even know where the hole in the water and this deeple chase goes.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't even know what the deal is.
Speaker 5: Don't forget the hole in the water.
Speaker 2: And by the way, nobody ever says in the history of the world, nobody has ever said when they're eight years old, I uh, I just really want to be the world's best deeeple chase runner.
Speaker 3: Never that, whoever that person is.
Speaker 2: They failed at what they were trying to do, like whatever event they wanted to do, the one hundred meters or whatever it was, they failed, And someone said, you know what nobody else wants.
Speaker 6: You know, Chase.
Speaker 4: You're leaving in a few days now. We're gonna have the whole steel chase contingent on our back.
Speaker 2: Can you name can anybody here name a single steeplechaser? Does anybody here even really know what steeple chase is seton?
Speaker 5: You have two daughters, yes, either of them on a pony, Yes, there you go, steeple chasers.
Speaker 3: Why there's no pony involved? Isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh, isn't it the one with the with the horse nos equestrian? Oh, what's the one where they jump over the things and stuff?
Speaker 3: Horse jumping? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh that's a steeple Chase's steeplechase.
Speaker 3: No steeple chase. They're actually running the long distance track.
Speaker 2: And what they run for like they run around the track. Like they run around the track like eight times.
Speaker 4: It's three thousand meters. It started in the nineteen twenty Olympics.
Speaker 5: Uh oh yeah, there's twenty run through the puddles.
Speaker 4: Right, there's twenty eight jump barriers and then there's a water barriers that are three and a half meters long after the jump like that.
Speaker 2: So then you're running around. You're running distance with wet sneakers.
Speaker 4: Wet sneakers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who's this sounds like a lot of blissards to.
Speaker 3: Go back and watch.
Speaker 2: I guarantee the person that invented this could not win any other event. Was like I got to come up with something. I got to come up with some way to win the gold medal.
Speaker 4: We'll keep an eye, we're gonna look for more details.
Speaker 3: One of the people chase. Originally I never even met a steeple chaser.
Speaker 2: It's on foot, it's on foot and they jump over into puddles and they're like, oh he got he got good jump over the puddle.
Speaker 3: That's what was on NBC last night. Where do you practice that at the track where they just got the brand new hole of water?
Speaker 5: I don't know, like any any street that you ever run down as a kid.
Speaker 2: Actually that had to be how it started. Like you had to jump over a creek, probably up in Canada, probably, although that wasn't the creepy frozen in Canada. And let's find out for Mattie Rose, he joined us back to back How many times does this happen, PAULI? Where you've had a guest back to Back days? The guy's never been on the show before. Okay, he's a sports talk radio host in Calgary. You haven't had Larry Bird on the show back to Back days. You haven't had anybody on the back yet. Mattie Rose gets to be on the show back to Back Days.
Speaker 4: It's unique.
Speaker 2: Can you guys stay Fritzi, you're the guest booker. Can you ever think of another time where you've had a guest back to back days?
Speaker 3: Not really?
Speaker 7: Maybe there was a time where there was just breaking news with the same team two days in a row. So we put the person back on, but can't think of who that was.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, he texted me last night, Maddie, you have no idea how close you got to getting reported as junk because I have this text message that comes through.
Speaker 3: It's take eleven o'clock and I just need a text message elation and I'm like, elation from a four h three number. I think it was.
Speaker 2: I didn't in my phone, by the way, I already deleted the text, but I see like a four oh three number, and then it's like, by the way, this is Maddy Rose.
Speaker 3: So explain that elation. Now.
Speaker 2: You literally went out of your way to text me elation right when the game ended.
Speaker 3: Tell me about it.
Speaker 8: I had to tell everybody everyone that would listen, how relieved we were up in town for this to end in a way that wasn't the oilers hosting the cop and go in the reverse sweep. We saw so many Oilers jerseys wandering around town. I decided to stay at home and watch the game because I wasn't sure how it would behave publicly, And sure enough we got the result that we wanted. So everyone is feeling elated up here, like a big relief.
Speaker 3: That's that's the word, right, relief without.
Speaker 8: A doubt, Like it was one of our kind of topics on the show today. This relief that you're feeling today is like what and a lot of people were talking about, you know, when you finally make it home, maybe if you were, you know, clenching for like the last thirty minute of your drive home, things like that. So people were very relieved that the oilers were unable to push this thing over the edge.
Speaker 2: Aren't you guys supposed to be? I feel like I never knew Canadians were such haters.
Speaker 3: Why are you such a hater?
Speaker 8: Yeah, but hockey makes us different likes. It's one of those things that we all love and we all get a little bit primal about. So I think that there's a little bit of that gets involved. Plus the regional stuff. You guys know what it's like down in the US of all your US regional rivalries across the country, And that's what we are here. If this was another Canadian team, it wouldn't have been as intense, we wouldn't have cared nearly as much. But because this was the Oilers. It was very important for this too not to go well for Edmonton.
Speaker 3: What would it have been like today if Edmonton won on the show? Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I was really contemplating about maybe like skipping work if they had won, Yeah, starting to do job, getting into the trades, picking up something like scaffolding. Perhaps, I don't know. It was gonna be crazy like even as is. Like I mentioned, we saw so many Oilers jerseys and fans hanging around on the streets yesterday filling up the bars like it was one of those events that you couldn't get a table in downtown Calgary if you were trying to watch the game. So everybody was heavily invested. And every time that you know, even if you got buddies or they're not buddies, and you know, you always want to have the upper hand in those type of rivalries, and Calgary fans got to enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 8: We didn't have to do the holes, sad look towards the parade, you know, raising Connor McDavid's bander. We didn't have to do any of that today. So that was that was relieving for sure.
Speaker 2: Talk with Mattie Rose co host of the Big Show with Russick and Rose on sports Net nine sixty in Calgary, the radio home for the Calgary Flames. So che Cook, I missed this, but he shouted you guys out after the game evident. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure you played the audio on your show today.
Speaker 3: So I'm a little bit confused.
Speaker 2: I thought he kind of forced his way out, didn't he did? He did he not want to be there? Explain to me the Chikuk relationship with Calgary.
Speaker 8: This is one of those things where yes, he definitely was he forced his way out. There's a whole bunch of things that were Like I think a lot of people could point to maybe seasons earlier and why he wasn't extended then and talk about things like that. But that wasn't the case. So he ended up forcing his hand to leave town. The team has obviously been much worse for it, But I did think that there are still some people who enjoyed his time here in Canada. I think a lot of people look at Johnny Gudreau, who left a free agency to Columbus, as kind of maybe a worst case than Matthew could Chuck and yesterday to me, like Matthew was a guy who understands how to use the media. His dad played in the NHL. He's got a lot of charisma, and that to me was like a subtle shot at Edmonton. Well, also maybe trying to get back in the good books of Calgary Flames fans a little bit. So yeah, people in Calgary really loved that.
Speaker 2: What did you think of Connor McDavid winning the cons mice?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was really good, Like he was the best player of the postseason. You don't break Wayne Gretzky's records and just kind of not be good doing that. So he was outstanding wire to wire. Obviously, he didn't have points in the last two games, and that's what a lot of people are going to look at and say, well, he gave the Cons smythe to a guy that okay, his team was down three nothing and then he got them back almost even. But he didn't really change much after that. So there there was definitely some people here in Calgary who were a little bit questionable about it. But I think the thing that made it tough for Florida was that they didn't necessarily have someone who kind of took that step above everybody else. On their team, like you could talk about Alexander Barkov for some games, you could have talked about Serge Bbrovski, you know, especially up until Game number three, but then he gets shelled for five and twenty five minutes of action and you can't really go on giving the con Smith to a guy who totally let the Oilers back into the series.
Speaker 3: So I was a little.
Speaker 8: Disappointed he didn't come out to get it. That was disappointing. You know, it's the first time since two thousand and three that someone has won the Con Smythe and not won the Stanley Cup at the same time. That was Jaya Shagear, who's a goaltender. It was in New Jersey. He played for the Ducks. He came out and he got the con Smith, even though he looked absolutely miserable doing it. So that was one thing that I did kind of wonder about with Connor. That was our other text topic today is how lonely is the con Smythe Trophy because I imagine he's still sitting in the middle of the rink in Florida.
Speaker 3: Maddy really appreciate the time. We'll have you on again when the Flames win the Cup. How about it, see you guys in like fifteen years. Cheers, Thank you, Maddie.
Speaker 2: Mattie Rose, co host of the Big Show with Russik and Rose on sports Net nine sixty in Calgary. I appreciate that. I also appreciate a healthy conversation. And I am starting with Seaton because I'm gonna make Seaton defend the sport of soccer when we return eighteen minutes past the hour here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up everybody?
Speaker 9: It's me three time pro bowler LeVar Arrington, and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game?
Speaker 3: What is Up on Game?
Speaker 9: You assd along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Huschman Zada and Super Bowl champion Yup. That's right, Plexico Burrus. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it. Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with me LeVar Arrington, TJ. Huschman, Zada, and Plexico Burrs on the iHeartRadio app podcast or wherever you get your podcasts from.
Speaker 2: About thirty minutes left in the show here on a Tuesday edition of The Dan Patrick Show, Fun Show. Tomorrow will be a lot about the NBA.
Speaker 3: Draft because the first rounds tomorrow night very interesting. NBA Draft.
Speaker 2: By the way, I haven't even heard of most of the guys that are projected to be lottery picks. But we'll talk about that tomorrow. But I wanted to I was watching last night and I thought about this, and I thought about Seaton, and I want to be very clear about a couple things. Number One, I know they are very different sports. Number Two, I'm not looking to knock either sports. But I'm watching the Stanley Cup Final Game seven last night and it occurs to me, Okay, there's two major sports where you try to score goals into a net.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like football is not like any of the other ones. The NBA. I guess there's some similarities.
Speaker 2: That you're shooting a basket into a net, but it's different. You get two points or three points, and it's different. Obviously, Baseball is its own category. But there's some decent similarities between soccer and hockey in the sense that anybody could watch it for two minutes to understand what the goal is. The goal is those guys are trying to put the pucker the ball in that net.
Speaker 3: Those guys trying to do that.
Speaker 2: So I'm watching them thinking, Okay, there's a lot of similarities, but hockey's much faster, much more physical, and there are significantly more scoring opportunities in a typical like shots on goal for sure, scoring opportunities in a typical hockey game over a soccer game. Right, So I guess seton and maybe you won't even try, maybe you won't even feel that way. But I guess what would you say if someone was just getting into being a sports fan, they were just starting in sports, and they were going to pick a sport to watch, what would you say are the selling points for soccer over hockey? Like I just gave you what I feel like, are selling points for hockey over soccer? Speed, physicality, scoring, what's better about soccer than hockey in your mind?
Speaker 5: Well, I would say that I think hockey, and I've said this before, is probably the best blend of physicality and skill, you know, like the physical nature of say like football, where you're really hitting each other versus the technical ability of being able to skate and control the puck and shoot and all of that stuff. It's truly remarkable what hockey players are doing. I don't know that I could tell you. I know, I guess why I like soccer better. I mean, I just why do you like soccer? Well, I kind of I grew up playing a little bit, and I don't know, it's just a fun game. I just really like it. I don't I don't know that I could tell you why you should support soccer over hockey, because I think hockey is an awesome game. I just didn't grow up in an environment with it. I didn't grow up Nobody I knew played hockey. Nobody I knew was even a hockey fan, you know what I mean. So to me, the part about soccer that could also translate over to hockey is that there's like a certain civic pride to it, for sure, right, So when.
Speaker 2: There's more of that, there's more of that in hockey in Canada, I would say than there is the United States, Right, Like, just like in soccer, there's more of that in basically every other country than there is North America.
Speaker 5: But they're right because they're they're trying to make soccer like the NFL here, and that's not really the design of the game. I mean. To me, just the fact that it's the most popular game in the world in any country that has promotion and relegation is enough to say, like, Wow, there's really something here as to why this sport is so great. Then that's that's clearly something. But to me, it has to do a lot with when you support your team from your town. Like I live in Hartford, Connecticut, so I support the Hartford team. Those are our boys going out and representing our town. This is our home, this is where we live, and those are our guys. And once you can kind of buy into that local mindset, to me that it's not really it's not because when you live in I don't know, Springfield, Massachusetts and you're supporting the Boston Red Sox, they're not in your town.
Speaker 3: Oh you're talking about like at the lower levels.
Speaker 5: No, I'm talking I'm talking about when you're a Manchester City fan, when you're a Barcelona fan, and all the way down to the lower levels. That's why say, like a thing like promotion and relegation is so important because you can go from the lower level to the top and support your same team all the way up to you can be at the very bottom and win your way year over year over year over year to then be the greatest team in the world.
Speaker 2: Well, I think anybody would agree that the relegation promotion thing is incredible, Like that is maybe the best thing in sports, and it's very It's kind of a shame that the American model can't really.
Speaker 3: Pull that off because that I love that about it.
Speaker 2: I guess my point is like if you went to people in some far off country that they've never heard of any sports, or if like Aliens came here and you showed them hockey and soccer, I guess, with no local ties, with no history to it, I guess I just feel like hockey has more going for it. PAULI, I can see what you're saying. I played soccer. I mean, see, just so you know. I was on the under eight, under ten, and under twelve eight teams. Why missing you soccer?
Speaker 4: I think I could be objective because I never played either, and I like both. Watching hockey to me is awesome it seems like somebody I would love to have played while as a kid if I had access. You have access to soccer if you have feet and ground. Feet and ground is really what you need to play soccer, and you could play it anywhere. Anytime. You drive around where we live and you'll see soccer matches anywhere on a patch that.
Speaker 3: They're right, so popular in South America and always other countries, right, like, all you need is something to.
Speaker 5: Balls the people's game. Yeah, I think they don't need anything.
Speaker 4: I think if you don't live in Minnesota or North Dakota or the northeast and access to ice time seems to me like very prohibitive of getting into the sport, cost of getting the sport for young people actually, as far as like tuning in and watching it, there's a lot of similarities. But I always think soccer, you know, people maybe don't respect it because it's not from America, but think of if hockey players had to go up and down the ice but use their feet to move the puck instead of there.
Speaker 2: Oh no, ipect I respect the heck out of soccer. Yeah, it's a fun sport and what those guys are some of the touches they have. It's like art soccer. I've heard soccer described as the beautiful game, right, and it is. There's there's passes. You know, It's one of the reasons why we love Caitlin Clark so much, some of her passing. I feel like you get that in soccer a decent amount. Or like when they have the ball hit to them really hard and they somehow put their foot up and like gently bring.
Speaker 3: It down right where they are.
Speaker 2: That is insane to me, you know that, But I guess it's just am I is it totally nuts for me to watch hockey last night and think I'm a little surprised it's not more popular. I'm like, what, what is? What does soccer have? It's better than hockey?
Speaker 3: Go see.
Speaker 5: But I don't know if soccer is more popular in the United States than hockey is right now anyway. So you're trying, you're basically trying to say, take a more less popular game here and can into people why it's more popular than a game that it's not more popular than you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: No, I just mean I'm talking like.
Speaker 5: Like why would you choose why do you choose the end of football instead of hockey when football is, and I mean disrespectfully, one of the dumbest games ever created in that it's impossible to explain, explain in one play everything that's happening on the field. I'll give you until the rest of this week to get through one play.
Speaker 2: Well, what's funny about that is I talk about this a lot. It's one reason why I'm so glad that the NFL is trying to expand. So I played soccer from age five or six till I was eleven or twelve. Really really liked it. I think it's a fun sport. And then I put a helmet and shoulder pads on and I knock somebody looked like Fritzy over, and I was like.
Speaker 3: This is unbelievable. This is the greatest thing I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 2: Like it took me five seconds to realize, at least for me and what I enjoy that football and the physical part of it, like way trumped whatever high I could get when I was playing soccer, of scoring a goal or like kicking the ball and having a good pass. It was immediately trumped by just knocking kids over and just thinking this is the greatest thing I've ever done, like this is still the best. It's still I'm forty five and it's the best feeling.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe second, but.
Speaker 2: It's a very very high on the feelings I can have as a human being.
Speaker 3: Paullie.
Speaker 4: A lot of people discuss what's the toughest thing to do in sports, and you know, being a goaltender or hitting a baseball hitting Okay, those are fair, but I almost think football doesn't get its due for you have to have a mentality to play high level football. You played high level football. I'm not talking just being a high school football, but to play high level where pain doesn't bother you and you enjoyed distributing pain and you really don't mind accepting pain. It's almost part of the like a badge where you don't complain.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I think too you don't understand maybe what I'm talking about your condition to it.
Speaker 3: Right, But I also say, like it takes something. You have to have that in you.
Speaker 4: Correct. I think you're a bit the top. The top football players to me are people who don't mind getting hurt and deal with it casually and can hit other people hard.
Speaker 2: You have to love that part of it to really be loved, but that's okay. Some people do, some people don't. What I think people don't appreciate enough about American football NFL is like it's controlled aggression. You can't just go out there and try to not if you if I went out there as offensive lineman and we're just trying to kill guys, you would whiff a lot and they would sack your quarterback and you'd get fired. Like it's controlled aggression Seaton.
Speaker 5: And that's why I think that soccer when compared to support, to me, it's the better comparison is say, not hockey or football, but basketball, because it's more Basketball is a physical game too, but it's more about skill with the ball in some respects. Yeah, right, Whereas I think football, if you're tough enough in you're athletic enough, you could play well it.
Speaker 3: I tell people all the time, it's very, very different because it is a height, weight, speed, aggressiveness sport. If you didn't play.
Speaker 2: Soccer or basketball until your junior year in high school, you're in trouble.
Speaker 3: Like you you're not gonna be.
Speaker 5: Never gonna be a player, right, never gonna happen.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of examples of people that don't play football until their junior or high school, and they go out there and they're big, fast and aggressive and they just start dominating. It's a size, speed, aggressiveness, physicality for sure, which, by the way, I think is part of the beauty and why I tell people. People ask me all the time, would you let your son play football? When would you let him play? I'm like, I won't let him play the l eighth or ninth grade. He's not losing anything by waiting until then. He's not falling behind the other kids like you can in other sports.
Speaker 4: Paul, do you find who you played offensive line? But my guess is you probably played both ways when you're going course, Do you find when you get to the higher level of football college and pro that there's a difference in mentality of an offensive lineman and a defensive lineman personality, mentality or is that overblown? We're told that they're the defense is more aggressive in killers and the offense are a little more controlled.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, that's that's by the nature of the position.
Speaker 4: That's what we're talking.
Speaker 2: But I would tell you every NFL team, every offensive line in college in the NFL, they're looking for offensive linemen with a defensive lineman mindset, right. So my freshman year I started a couple of games the defensive end in college, and they moved me to offensive line because I had an incredible Chris vacation. I gained I think thirty two pounds.
Speaker 5: During Christmas Break Christmas break.
Speaker 3: So, dude, I've told you guys this before, probably at the.
Speaker 4: Christmas Break story.
Speaker 5: Are you serious you gained that much weight or are you being so?
Speaker 2: By the end of the season, I was like two fifty eight as a defensive end, maybe two fifty five. We went home for Christmas break, and Princeton, the Ivy League, has like an extended Christmas break. My friends and I get got a keg of yingling every night and we would go to the diner. And I just stinctly remember going to the diner at two am almost every night. I would get a ham and cheese omelet, wheat toast dry because I'm crazy healthy. Then I would get a stack of pancakes, a chocolate milkshake, and a side of scrapple at two am every day. When I went back, I left school at two fifty five seating. When I went back, I was two eighty five. Or holy crap, I gained twenty nine pounds and the coaches loved it.
Speaker 5: And no, no, no, no, I.
Speaker 3: Would have still been eighteen and was it. I would have been a month away from turning nineteen.
Speaker 5: And sorry, your plan was to gain weight.
Speaker 3: Or you just did no that, my coaches said.
Speaker 5: Your coaches were like, we need you to do this.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. No, they were stunned. Real they said, I came back in twenty four They said, what did you do? And I said, I don't know. I had an amazing time.
Speaker 3: But so I just like I didn't tell him.
Speaker 2: I went, I got a k yangling and went to the diner at West Eterning Diner at two am every morning.
Speaker 3: But they were like blown away.
Speaker 2: And then and then next thing, I know, like a week or two later, they come up to me and they're like, listen, you're gonna start either way. But we're either moving you to d tackle because you're not a defensive end anymore, or we're moving you to offensive line. And if you moved offensive line, because you're still pretty athletic, like we think you can really be special there. So I think this is a good lesson for all the kids out there. I would have had no chance of making the NFL as a defensive lineman, none whatsoever. But moving the offensive line changed my life. So if you're going through a tough time in life, kids, and you're listening, the key is a keg of yngling and scrapple and a milkshake at two am, it can change. Look, I wouldn't be hosting this show right now if it wasn't for the pancakes.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing a pancake shirt.
Speaker 2: The pancakes, the ham and cheese omelet, the scrapple, the chocolate milkshake, and that glorious keg of yngling in the winter of seven.
Speaker 5: Eight two week stretch in ninety seven has essentially laid out the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: That is what prompted them to move on the offensive line. Buddy, moving off into the line prompted me to get in the NFL. Being an NFL player allow me to get in the media. Being the media allowed me to be hosting Dan Patrick today. This whole show, we have a new spontor. This whole show is presented to you by eating and drinking at a diner at two am. Oh Man, Once again, I know weren't we talking about soccer versus hockey. How did that even happen? Yeah, we were talking soccer versus hockey. All right, let's wrap things up with what we learned and maybe I can finally get to a call. Sorry, we've been having fun here. Forty one minutes past the hour on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: Wrapping up things here on a Tucker Tuesday edition of The Dan Patrick Show. Well, we get to this day in sports history, what we're watching tonight, what we learned, pull results, clean up some loose ends there? What are the poll results here?
Speaker 3: See? I don't remember what the poll questions were.
Speaker 5: I'm not even sure if we ever really even got the one today because we were so busy. However, we did put Would you display your con smythe trophy in a losing effort if you had it out at your house? Would you lay like, oh, yeah, look I did this the year that we lost.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say so. You know what's interesting about that?
Speaker 2: I think a high percentage of people will say no, But I think more of those people would actually display it if if they, if they, if you really won the con smythe I think when you're retired from the sport, you would absolutely have that in your man cave or whatever.
Speaker 3: You won the con.
Speaker 2: Smith Dude by fans respond to the poll, will no, never, No, I wouldn't do that, Seaton.
Speaker 5: So the results are fifty one forty nine, which is really good. Uh, fifty one percent would not display it. I wonder hockey fans in there which way they voted more. It's a good question, you know, because I wonder like the non hockey fan would be like no way or yes, or you know, how does a hockey fan feel about that that award? You know, you win that trophy? And then hell yeah I would put it out there because look at the names on that and what it means to the game, and.
Speaker 3: I would one hundred display it. You know, you don't. You can't always win, right like, you can't you want to win the championship. It's hard.
Speaker 2: As you get further removed, you realize that only one team wins it.
Speaker 3: Marv you say.
Speaker 2: Something, Yeah, I think you're probably more likely to display it if he wins the Stanley Cup down the Road. Oh for sure, Yeah, for sure. What if he wins the Stanley Cup down the Road but doesn't win the cons Mike that year he's got both and you put them next to each other in the house.
Speaker 5: Yes, tell you. You know, winning that in a losing year is not something to be ashamed of. It's not something to be like embarrassed of.
Speaker 3: Or it's actually crazy impressive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hell y, I was the best I don't want to give.
Speaker 3: It to the guy from a losing team.
Speaker 5: You know that that that playoffs, I was the best player. Absolutely. I would put that right up front.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, absolutely, all right? What about you know what? Speaking of that?
Speaker 2: While we're on that, I'm going I'm going to Vicky, who's in Boca. She has literally been holding since before the show started. She came on yesterday. She loves the Panthers. Vicky, your patience is being rewarded. What do you got?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, oh, there she is, Vicky. Oh she gave up here.
Speaker 2: I'm here. I was so devastated for for so many reasons.
Speaker 3: What do you got, Vicky?
Speaker 6: All right, listen, you guys, all of you, every single one of you, chat row I'm telling you right now. It feels good to win. And you know, but you asked me a question yesterday. You know, sell it. We get to go to a nice parade and guess what I get to.
Speaker 3: Choose which bikini, which top.
Speaker 6: I get to wear on Sunday at eleven on A one A for the parade. So that's my selling point.
Speaker 3: A one A Beachfront Avenue.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the parade on Sunday that they're going to have right on A one A in Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, Vicky, I am so so happy for you.
Speaker 4: Have a great parade, got another championship brade in Fort Lauderdale. They just every year down there.
Speaker 2: How crazy is it that I had not heard that song in like twenty years. Girls were hot, wearing less than bikinis, ice man lovers, Rocket, Lamborghini.
Speaker 3: Zellous because I'm out getting mine.
Speaker 5: Shaye with the gauge of Vanilla, with the nine Yeah, not mistaken to the extreme, round the mic, Yeah, led up the stage.
Speaker 2: See though, Fritz and Pauli, you guys are in your fifties. Yeah, so you don't remember every word of that, like.
Speaker 4: Seaton idea, Why do you remember.
Speaker 2: Stuff from like fifth through ninth grade before the show. Before the show, Fritzi was talking about the entire Royals pitching staff and the infield for the Phillies in like nineteen seventy eighty. What is it about us as human beings that I can sing Ice, Ice Baby, and I know the lyrics to that song, but nothing else.
Speaker 3: That's kind of weird.
Speaker 5: We didn't even see him doing the dance in the video and everything, I know exactly the start of Jack everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, what do we have this day in sports history? Paul, I got a couple for you. Nineteen eighty five, ABC's Monday Night Football had a new lineup. The trio is Frank Gifford, Joe Namath and OJ Simpson. That lasted for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Nineteen eighty five, the New York Yankees officials enacted a new rule that mandate mandated the team's bat boys had to wear protective helmets during the games. I guess they didn't have to before that. They were sitting there on the sidelines just taking all five balls off the nugget. Two thousand and three, Todd McFarland bought Barry Bond's seventy third home run ball at auction four. I want to guess how.
Speaker 3: Much two point two million dollars.
Speaker 4: Five hundred and seventeen grand.
Speaker 3: Oh, good deal, that's it all right? What do we learned today, Fritzi?
Speaker 7: I learned that you went from two hundred and fifty five LB's as a defensive end of college at age eighteen eight and drank away while I was the night to wing it a whopping two eighty four.
Speaker 3: That is impressive, Seaton.
Speaker 5: I learned that steeplechase can be done by humans and or humans on horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a bunch. I got a bunch of tweets about that. I didn't know about the horse part of it.
Speaker 3: Marvin. The Hershey Bears won the Colder Cup.
Speaker 2: Yes, people, I got like ten people say you shout out their bears.
Speaker 3: I did shout the Bears. You gotta listener and watch the whole show.
Speaker 5: Seton another quick Ahl mentioned the coach last night from Edmonton, former Hertford Wolfpack coach. Another Ahl, Polly, what'd you learn?
Speaker 4: Why am missing football? Never forget nice, nice, Fritzy.
Speaker 3: What did I learn?
Speaker 7: Maybe hit for the younger generations, but we don't need to drop f bombs at an introductory press conference.
Speaker 3: Do we I don't think so.
Speaker 2: What we learned luxury SUVs. I'm gonna try to do a Dan here. Now come with the luxury of choice. Mercedes Benz has gas, electric and plug in hybrid offerings. Learn more about the E class SUVs at your local dealer or MBUSA dot com slash special offers. We'll try to do better again tomorrow. See you guys,