Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Sow on ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Terry's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the back deal.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 5: Right on the price, right on the corner of the sands Tan two to two freeway in.
Speaker 4: Valves WAA crab by Tray McBride. That was spectacular and by.
Speaker 3: Arizona Cardinals podcast visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 4: All Red Sea is rising up, dude, you're rising vision Blurry Rage take you over.
Speaker 5: Here's Paul CALVICI I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, I'm ready.
Speaker 5: And Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 4: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 5: The fjeld All right, Henrywind for a minute. Going into this draft, how did most of the analysts sum up this year's class? Starters not stars? Was a popular refrain. Don't tell the Arizona Cardinals they didn't draft a couple of potential stars at number sixteen, at number forty seven, and maybe this is a hot take, but maybe a couple of potential starters in round four, in round six, and we're here to talk about it and talk with the Assistant GM Dave Sears tonight on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan ford In Gilbert, Paul Calvici, here, Ron Wolfley. They are talking twenty twenty five NFL Draft.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, PAULI, how are you doing right now? Can I tell you? I am jacked up? Thanks for asking, Paul. I am jacked up right now because of the Arizona Cardinals picks, because of the draft, and because I think they're going to be much better this year than a lot of people think.
Speaker 5: Well, if we don't have time for the greetings and the salutations, Okay, it's our favorite time of year. Our favorite hashtag is let the Rooks cook. And in three drafts now Chef Monty has twenty eight picks in three years, and right now every one of them is still on the roster. And before we get into the first round pick and beyond, before we hear from Dave Sears, I want to ask you just the competition level, what is that going to do? For Cardinals camp. Look at the depth chart. Look at how much deeper it is. Because if there is one way to motivate in the NFL and you played ten years, you tell me it's job security. And there're gonna be some really good dudes who don't end up on the final fifty three this year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Pauli, there's no doubt about it. You know, once again, one's a point, two's a trend, three's a pattern. You look at the last two drafts from the Arizona Cardinals that Manti ausin Fort and the staff of the Arizona Cardinals have picked. One's a point, two's a trend. Three's a pattern. Man. There are fourteen guys on this roster that are only two years into the league that are either starters for the Arizona Cardinals or in a heavy rotation getting reps on a game day. Because of that, paul it's amazing. If the Arizona Cardinals nailed Draft number three the way that I think they have, it's going to be a pattern now for the Arizona Cardinals. And because of that draft that happened three years ago. Because of that, Pauli, and now the draft that happened last year, and then this year's draft. You put those three together, the competition level for the Arizona Cardinals in all three phases, offensively, defensively, and in transition has skyrocketed. To your point, Paul, and.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this is a point or a pattern or a trend or whatever you call it. We'll put in the fifteen drafts before monti ascin fort the Arizona Cardinals in the first two rounds drafted a total of two defensive linemen and two defensive linemen. That's over fifteen drafts in the first two rounds. We're talking DJ Jumpries, Johnathan Cooper, We're talking Robert KIMDCI, Dan Williams. They have already taken three three first round offensive or defensive lineman through three drafts, including most recently Walter Nolan at number sixteen. And here's MANIASA. Ford on what separated Walt from the rest of the pack.
Speaker 6: Disruption And you know, I think you know, we've talked about it a lot. You know, we wanted to get more have a more disruptive defensive unit. We think we've added players that can help us do that. And again, like when we find a players that can affect the middle of the pocket. It puts a lot of stress on the offense. And so Walter is another guy that we think can do that, can help us do that, and we're really excited to add him to our team.
Speaker 5: Doesn't even turn twenty two until October. Walter Nolan first Team All American, number one high school recruit. What else stands about out about the ole Miss All American?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, for me, once again, the first question I have Paul, he is where you're gonna play him? Where you're gonna play Walter Nolan right now? Just like Darius Robinson. Darius Robinson, we were talking about this last year. He could play anywhere across the front. You could literally line him up on the center, or you could have him stand out in a wide nine. You could literally have him do that, and I think that he would be able to hold up, especially based on the down and distance. I think Walter Nolan is in the exact same category as Darius Robinson. I think he's a little quicker on that first step. I think he's got an excellent first step, very explosive. Yet at the same time, where Walter Nolan is going to play and where Darius Robinson is going to play. That's going to be interesting because they could be anywhere across the front.
Speaker 5: Paul, you know what, note to self. We're gonna ask Dave Sears about that coming up the assistant GM right now, let's hear from Adrian Wilson, Cardinals cover too. Yes, the former Cardinals legend who has spent the last decade in an NFL front office. And here was his comp for Walter Nolan.
Speaker 7: It reminds me so much a docket. You know, Darnelle was an undersized three technique. You know, he was two ninety two ninety five, you know, at best. So you know, having a guy that was quick, that could penetrate, that can affect the interior of the pocket like it just helps your outside rushers out so much like you're their best friend because you're able to get penetration from the inside to get that quarterback off the spot.
Speaker 5: And Doc was nasty.
Speaker 7: He was real nasty.
Speaker 5: And what's interesting is and we had a chance to talk to Walter Nolan one on one. He's a soft spoken, quiet guy, but he also admits he flips the switch on game day. He is a really hyper competitive dude. On game day and Wolf, you know, we sort of made the joke who won the NFL Draft. The media always likes to pick teams. We picked a person. Nick Rowlis won the NFL draft. You know, he first five picks on defensive players. And what happens to this Cardinals defense? If they can truly only rush four instead of having this scheme it up, we're just better than you upfront. I mean that just changes the defense, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It just changes everything, Bully. I mean, it's exactly what you want. But you want the best of both worlds. If we can still scheme it up, that's great too from time to time. You just don't want to have to depend on it to get pressure. If you can rush for and drop seven, as you know, Baly, this is huge for any defensive coordinator and any defensive You can rush forward, get pressure on that quarterback and drop seven, you got a huge advantage right now. What I loved about this draft the first four picks, in particular, defensive tackle, an interior three technique, then a corner, then an outside edge guy in Jordan Birch, and then Cody Simon an inside linebacker. Four different positions on different levels and man, this is what's got me so excited. I think the defensive line of scrimmage has improved so much. And I'm not talking about just these drafts because you know, PAULI, a rookie's got to prove it. He's got a long way. Yeah, you gotta climb that hill and you've got to prove that you can actually do it. But right now, looking at the line of scrimmage defensively and the names that they already have on the line of scrimmage, this is this is going to be the most competitive room on the entire team.
Speaker 5: So to your point about Daris Robinson and Walter Nolan, the third now Drew stan RedSea report former Cardinals quarterback, said you know what, I take either one of those guys or both and put him at the three technique on the outside shoulder of the guard. He said, that's where I think they're going to be the biggest headache, cause the most problems. It's most difficult for an offense to give help and slide over some extra attention that way. And I kept talking about, you know, rushing the passer with four and then Drew said, no, it goes beyond that.
Speaker 8: The Super Bowl ask Patrick Mahomes what that feels like. They don't have four rush and seven are now in coverage, and you can change coverage right, You can drop safeties in, you can insert and do different stuff. It gives it an extreme advantage to the defense when you don't have to bring more guys to the party than you need. As a true quarterback, your eyes have to be on that second and third level. You can't watch the rush and play in this league. You can be the greatest quarterback of all time. And if you consistently are getting hit, all of a sudden you start looking around. Those eyes drop. You're chasing ghosts. Your accuracy is affected. There is no replacement for being able to get pressure with four.
Speaker 5: I mean a year ago at the end of the season, you had Nae Kwon Jones, and you had some other guys like off the practice squad that right now Wolf, that defensive line, Darius Robinson, Walter Nolan, Dalvin Tomlinson, Koleis Campbell, Justin Jones, Blall Nickels back from injury. Stop it, Dante Still's LJ. Collier. That's eight stop it. That's eight dudes who can play.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. Paul It really is. And again the defensive line of scrimmage. It impacts the second and third levels so much, Paul, by getting that pressure on a quarterback, by making them a little bit inaccurate because you're in his face and he doesn't be able to he's not able to release the ball the way that he wants to. It's so important. It impacts a second and third level. And that's why Will Johnson, who's got a great mind, This is a quarterback like Everson Walls, who is gonna clue. He looks at the quarterback and play in his own room, whether it's cover four, quarter coverage cover three, whatever it is. Will Johnson is great at jumping, combination routes and picking off the football. And if you can get pressure on a quarterback, that's gonna make Will Johnson that much better.
Speaker 5: Hey, learn more about arizon A Cardinal season tickets, Premium seating group and luxury field seating. All you have to do go to Azycardinals dot com slash tickets all Right, Cardinals user first five picks on defensive players for the first time since nineteen ninety one. How and why we ask the assistant GM Dave Sears next, on the Big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Walter Nolan number two in blue you cannot miss him explodes off that line comes on the ground, Sellers buffled it and all.
Speaker 2: This jumped on.
Speaker 4: It's recovered by Nolan. Seller's in trouble head and sack back at the forty two by Nolan, tumbled up by Walter Nolan.
Speaker 5: Boy Walter Nolan with a sack.
Speaker 4: A fuffle recovery and a tackle for long play by Nolan to grab him at the ankles and sack them.
Speaker 2: This is why so many people talked about what his presence could be to Wall's out.
Speaker 4: At the end of the plot here and all miss has recovered, Walter Nolan has the puffle. Walter Nolan tackle for lost total scream not alone of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Walter Nolan is everyone.
Speaker 5: That's the first team All American and first round pick Walter Nolan in the Arizona Cardinals. Even heard the voice of the Cardinals Dave Passion there as well. Not gonna be a big transition for the ESPN guy college Football to start calling his NFL games. Walter Nolan. In fact, last we saw and heard our guest here on the big red rage. He was on the Pasch pod, but what is becoming a bit of a tradition post draft. We are joined by Assistant general manager Dave Sears, and Dave welcome. I'm a little apprehensive considering the way this week started and Bill's GM Brandon being going after a couple of radio hosts in Buffalo. You know what you know? Are there any grievances that need to be aired on your end of all?
Speaker 9: All?
Speaker 10: Listen, I'm not going to take any crap from you the Paul, So let's just get that out there right now. Hey, I appreciate you having me on here.
Speaker 5: Speaking to the media. Let's be honest, all right, we're in the Will Ferrell trust tree here. When you guys need a good laugh, right when you're doing the grind leading up to the draft and you're up in the draft room, do you just pull out a mock draft? Is that a good Do you guys just mock the mock drafts along the way?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: You know, we do do some exercises pre draft process where we'll incorporate some of the mock drafts. Our analytics guys, Nick Tyas, Joe andrewsy do a ton of mock draft simulations. So we do have a pretty good feel according to the quote unquote experts, how they think it's going to come off. We have some adress where we put up how we think it's going to come off. How do those things correlate, just to give you an idea of what you're really going to be faced with when you're on the clock. So there shouldn't be any surprises. A couple of scenarios worked out very similarly to the way we had it planned out, and then you know, as the picks come off and then suddenly it diverges from what you were thinking it might be, then you adjust to that. So you do go through those exercises quite a bit.
Speaker 5: You know, the media likes to declare at this point who won the draft. Our answer is Nick Rolis, Cardinals defensive coordinator. At this point, let's just start with some of his guys, Walter Nolan. You know, look, we can see the stats, we can see the accolades. What did you see on film?
Speaker 10: Well, you see an explosive athlete who plays very hard, who's a violent, aggressive player, a guy that can launch off the ball, he can reset the line of scrimmage, he can do everything we're going to ask him to do. He has some versatility to play up and down the line for probably a five all the way to a zero, and a guy that really hasn't maximized yet. We still think there's a good upside to the player, but you know, fits the scheme and he's a violent, disruptive defensive lineman.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't turn twenty two until October.
Speaker 10: He's still a young kid. You know, this is a guy who's the number one recruit in the country, I believe, coming out of high school Texas A and M and then Aunt Old Miss where he had a really good year this year, end up playing in the Senior Bowl, flashing down there. We had some very good interactions with Walter at the Combine and then on his thirty visit, so we were very comfortable with Walter the person, and the tape speaks for itself.
Speaker 2: I think. Yeah.
Speaker 5: There was an opening line in the AP story and it went something like this, the Arizona Cardinals weren't scared to roll the dice and a few polarizing defensive prospects Will Johnson. I think you know the injuries, So for do you consider this Will roll of the dice? Walter Nolan, Will Johnson, and then we'll get to Jordan Birch.
Speaker 10: But yeah, well, I mean, you're not rolling the dice on Walter's talent. I'm not sure where that assumption would come from. And Walter's tape is not a roll of the dice, So I don't I don't really see it that way. I think there's probably a little bit of media misinformation about Walter the person. Sometimes that happens in the draft pross. But we spent enough time with Walter to feel very comfortable with him, so it's not a roll of dice for us, you know. And with Will again, like, this is a guy that's a true junior. He's a three time All American. He's got the Michigan record for pick sixes. He was a defensive MVP the National Championship game. I mean, every time he turned on the tape, the guy's playing good ball. You know, his father was a player at Michigan at DBI. He's a well regarded trainer in the Detroit area. So like, this is about as clean a player as you can find in terms of his skill set and his production. There were some injuries with Will, but nothing we thought was that he couldn't overcome.
Speaker 1: Or we can't manage. So we were excited about Will being.
Speaker 2: There for sure.
Speaker 5: Cardinals assistant GM Dave Sears our guest, at what point do you think, Wow, Will Johnson might make it to forty seven.
Speaker 10: At pick forty six? You know, we never thought that guy was going to be there. Really never thought that guy was going to be there. So that was one of the ones where you heard many talk a lot post draft about sticking to your board. That's a clear case of that Will was obviously the best player that we had on the board at that time. We never thought Will would be there at that point, and so you know, you stay with your board and you take the.
Speaker 5: Prospect and Money also mentioned the phones were lighting up, there were opportunities to trade down. I'm guessing there was a lot of interest, a lot of demand at that point for your pick.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and whether that's for Will or for somebody else, you never know.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: The thing that I think when you talk about the mock drafse, well, the mock drafts grade you off how they had their board stacked and how you drafted according to their experts board. Well, there's thirty two teams and I've been on a lot of different places. There's thirty two different boards. So a guy that we think is coming off a little early, that team thinks, hey, we got to move up and take this guy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: So everybody sees it a little bit different. And you can see that based off some of the moves teams make. They feel like that's a player they need to move up and get, or a player you can trade back and get the same value later. So yeah, we did not expect Will to be there, but we felt great about it when it happened.
Speaker 5: Two words have seen attached to Jordan Birch right the round three edge out of Oregon, jumbo athlete and all you can do is watch his fake punt at six' four what two to eighty and he looks Like Dereck henry racing down the. Field what do you have in?
Speaker 2: Him?
Speaker 10: Oh, Yeah jordan's a very athletic. Guy he's a guy THAT i, think you, know he's two seventy nine at the, combine basically two. EIGHTY i don't think there was another player two eighty and up that ran in the four sixes and his time was like four to six seven on the. Combine watches so very athletic. Guy you see that he looks like a running back on that fake, punt certainly at least a tight. End and he's played anywhere from in the two nineties to in the two. Seventies he can lose, weight he can gain, weight he can play, inside he can play on the. Edge we're going to play him on the, edge so we see him somewhere more in the two. Seventies but versatile player really like the. Athlete he can rush the, passer he can do it on multitude of, ways and he's very firm at the point setting an. Edge so we're excited About. Jordan that's another guy that we really stayed with our board. There we were not sure that he would be there at seventy.
Speaker 5: Eight, yeah and you mentioned that because obviously it's we sort of, Joked, okay put This cardinals defensive front an HD tv right extreme. MAKEOVER i, mean it's unbelievable how different it. Looks refresh our. Memory how many edge and defensive linemen can you carry on a final fifty? Three and how competitive is it going to?
Speaker 10: Be starting With cardinals, Camp, Well i'm pretty sure we carried six out of. Camp the last two, YEARS i, think and so we usually take eight to. Camp we might have had nine at one point during our first. Year but any three four, defense the outside linebacker position is basically the engine that runs the. Things so you're going to keep excess of. Guys there also guys that have roles on special. Teams you, know some of these back end dudes in the outside back room are going to have to earn roles on special. Teams that's going to be their way to stick. Around and we think all those guys contributed in that. Aspect they're all, tough they're all, athletic they can all. Run but you, know LIKE i, THINK mani used the, line you can never have enough pass. Rushers, well that's what we're trying to accumulate is just a bevy of guys that you can roll in and. Out and we feel really good about all these guys abilities at the edge as.
Speaker 5: Well if you talk about the, engine how about to the brains of a defense inside, Linebacker Mike backer tell us About Cody. Simon it Just i've seen Late bloomer attached. Him just seemed as the season went on last year he just got better and. Better, Yeah cody had a really good. YEAR i Think cody ended up being THE mvp of this Year's National championship. Game so we actually drafted THE mvp of the last Two national. Championshiping it was kind of just an interesting, tid but this this is a guy that you, know was a team captain this. Year he won the Block O, recipient which is A leadership In accountability award At Ohio. State guy's got really high, character really high FOOTBALL. Iq we feel like he could handle that green dot, role which which is you, know a.
Speaker 10: Big deal in THE nfl being able to do. That you only have one on the field at the. Time so we Felt cody could do, that and we felt, like you, know we had a path for him to make the roster in that area on our. Team so we really feel good about The cody, pick and we felt like we didn't have to reach on the. Guy that was good value for where he, went and he's certainly. Improved you, know he had a really good player in front of, Him Tommy eikenberg there in the, past who was a draft pick last, year and Then cody got a chance this here to really take off and he.
Speaker 5: Did so we felt great About cody that's. Interesting he was four time Academic All Big. Ten he talks about. Instincts how big a leap do you generally consider it to wear a green dot from the college to THE nfl. Level it's a pretty big.
Speaker 10: Leap but usually the guys that can do in college can do it in THE. Nfl you, know there's a lot put on their plate. Too it's a newer thing in the college, game actually having the green dot on the, field but it's the same responsibilities the guys making the calls are relaying and from the. Sidelines but you're looking for that leadership, capacity that football intelligence, capacity the ability to command ten other players on the field and know where they all have to line, up and so if somebody turns to you echoing the calls and getting guys aligned before the. Snap so that takes some poise and some football intelligence for.
Speaker 5: Sure ASSISTANT Gm Dave sears our guest last. Year we talked about just the unbelievable, popularity, right the insatiable appetite for the draft, itself the draft. Process everyone thinks they're A, gm, right including pencil next week yours. Truly so when The cardinals traded the round five pick To dallas right for a later on five pick in round, six and THEN i, saw for, Example Tory horton come off the, board the big fast receiver out Of Colorado, state and then THE lsu Guard Miles frasier come off the. Board i'm, like, oh those those might have fit a couple of needs for The. Cardinals but then you cashed In Denzel burke the, corner and then you went After Hayn, connor the offensive lineman out Of, texas and it all sort of made. Sense let's start With Denzel, burke AND i THINK mani said, it just the just the cowboy receiver he has practiced against At Ohio state the last four years is, ridiculous isn't.
Speaker 10: It, YEAH i Think denzel has practiced against five first round receivers of the last his. Career so the game's easier For denzel in comparison to the guys he's going as you, Know marvin And Garrett wilson And chris al And, Jacobo Ya lave And buka this. Year So i'm a really high competition. There the guy's battle tested local. PRODUCT i Think souarrows we're in and he might have gone To brophy, earlier but you, know the guy is a four year. Starter he's got fifty one career. Starts that's most by A dB In ohio state. History that was so and so the guy certainly played a lot of football at a high. Level obviously nobody's done that before, there so that's pretty impressive in. Itself and that was another you, know kind of like The Will. Johnson we did not Expect denzel to be there in the fifth, round and so we just had to stay with our bourn and take the. Talent so we feel good about the. Kid he was another guy that we had in here on a thirty. Visit he's a local. Guy that was easy to do and he really reflected positively on his, Visit so we felt comfortable With denzhil there.
Speaker 5: In terms of. Value maybe my favorite pick just looking at Is Hayden. CONNOR i, mean AND i bring this up because it was week Seventeen cardinals went to The rams and you realized that their starting Center Bo limmer was a sixth round pick our To arkansas and he had beat out a highly paid free. Agent And i'm, like you know, What Hayden connor has a lot of similarities to his career arc At texas and then people, say just look at his film Against Mason, Graham Kenneth, grant think of the defensive lineman he's gone against At texas over the last four. Years what do you think you have In Hayden.
Speaker 10: Connor, YEAH i, mean you can put on That michigan. Tape you can put it on The texas and m. Tape you can put on the you know a lot of to The kentucky. Tape you can put on a lot of tape where this guy's playing guys who got drafted this, year got drafted last YEAR nfl. Player so it's not a question Of Kenny BLACK nfl players he's been. Doing he's GOT i think forty three consecutive starts At. Texas that's that's pretty damn. Good so you got a big guy who's really smart and who's fundamentally. Sound so we were excited That hayden was still. There he does have some ability to play, center although primarily we see him as a. Guard but any kind of interior versatility you, have or even if it's guard to, tackle you, know that obviously helps you because when you're a back end player in THE, nfl you have to have some versatility as an offensive. Lineman we think he has, that and we think the guy's got a chance to was. Sent i'm not going to put a ceiling on, him but we feel really good About hayden in the sixth.
Speaker 5: Rounds, certainly if you hit zoom out on The cardinals three draft, classes Many, Osport Dave, Sears Jonathan, gannon we've come to ascertain that there's one similar, similarity and it's all. Ball all these guys seem deadly serious about. Football how big a deal is that in the evaluation.
Speaker 10: Process, YEAH i, mean minding could probably be more extensive with the things we look, for BUT i would simply say guys who love, football guys who can learn, football and guys who know how to treat people off the. Field and if you got those kind of, characteristics and you're going to be a fit, here and that's really what we're looking. For in a, nutshell you, KNOW i could break down into more micro, categories but that's really.
Speaker 5: It production versus. Potential here's another QUESTION i want to ask. You how often does that come up when you're trying to decide on a player and whether doing invest a draft. Pick how vital is it to see the. Production how often did you just go on?
Speaker 10: POTENTIAL i mean that's kind of the artist, scouting you know WHAT i, mean the, measurables the athletic. Ability is that translating to the. Field will that translate in the field to the future if it's a different, scheme if it's different. Coaching has this guy reached his? Ceiling what is his? Ceiling all those kind of Things going To, kyle scouting is a projection, business whereas like pro, scouting how good is this player and does he fit what we're?
Speaker 1: Doing SO i.
Speaker 10: Don't know that there's a percentage that's the tape now versus will to take be two years from. Now but we always, say like, hey when you put your Final coyle's great on, it it's what is this guy in two years because we do expect every player to improve from the time they get.
Speaker 5: Here, interesting as we wrap it up here with Assistant Jim Dave, sears you look at we go full circle To Nick rollis And i'm curious what happens to this defense that he can truly rush for and affect the Quarterback because of injuries and trying to accumulate talent over the last couple. Years he hasn't always had that, luxury has He.
Speaker 10: NO i, think you, know we've placed some stress On nick in terms of the, roster but he's an excellent young.
Speaker 1: Coach he's very.
Speaker 10: Innovative the amount of times he's truly gonna give you just a straightfour man rush isn't gonna be very often because he's gonna simulate. Pressure you, know he's gonna zone drop, guys he's gonna bring more and he's gonna constantly outthink the offensive. Coordinator so now he's got more pieces to. Use he's got more, depth, certainly and that's something especially on the defensive. Line we've been beat up early in the year these last couple of. Years you, know we LOST lj And Carlos watkins early two years. Ago last year we Lost justin And malal early unfortunately the injuries and so our depth has really been. Tested and the guys who played played their asses off and did a good. Job but now we have more depth going into this where we feel really good. About you, know if we do lose, somebody which happens is THE, nfl you're gonna lose. Players the guy stepping in there is not going to be a big drop off for hoping and real.
Speaker 5: Quick you still feel really good About Darius, robinson, Right.
Speaker 10: Oh, yeah we feel great about d Rob he's had an awesome. Offseason he's gonna have a great OTAs, here he's dialed. In we feel like he's in a really good place to tick.
Speaker 2: The next, Step.
Speaker 5: Dave we always enjoy. It it's great. Stuff, well you, know we always fashion ourselves as thinking we know something about player personnel and all the mock, drafts so it's great to actually be taking inside the draft room a little. Bit and how you go about accumulating all the.
Speaker 10: Talent, WELL i appreciate you having me, On. PAUL i always enjoy, it.
Speaker 5: And thank you for keeping the grievances to. Yourself if you have. Anything, Yeah i'm Like Brandon.
Speaker 1: Bean there you.
Speaker 5: Go we continue with a big red rage presented by sand Tan ford And. Gilbert we Are sand Tan, Ford moush quick throw, in accept.
Speaker 4: It it's gotta be a pick Sex Will. Johnson we'll take.
Speaker 8: It put.
Speaker 3: Over he touched Down, johnson one of the couch quarterbacks in the. Country silt it, True michigan six touch.
Speaker 5: Down other rains play fake.
Speaker 2: Underneath he accept.
Speaker 4: It, Michigan Will Johnson jeff de route cross forward and has it at the five yard. Line Will johnson is one of the best corners In.
Speaker 5: America as ASSISTANT Gm Dave sears just shared with us here on The Big Red rage presented By Santan ford And, gilbert The ears and The cardinals have drafted the last two defensive MVPs some the last two national title games in college, football Including Will. Johnson it is The Big Red. Rage paul Calvec Ron wolfley special thanks to the ASSISTANT Gm Dave, sears and, yeah The Will johnson comments are. Interesting speaking of the other DEFENSIVE mvp from a national title, Game Cody, SIMON i thought it was really intriguing that it is, elite but it's not impossible to go from being the green dot in college to a green dot as a rookie in THE, nfl which makes me wonder if he's in competition for a Starting mike linebacker gig from the get go Minus Kaizer. White but that's just me thinking out, loud Wolf.
Speaker 1: That's going to be really interesting to, Watch, paulie no doubt about. IT i liked it when you Asked Dave sears About Will johnson you, said when did you believe that he was really going to be there for you guys to pick at forty? Seven and he, said without, hesitation after forty. SIX i mean it had to be a shock to them a guy that is a bona fide first round talent to be available at full.
Speaker 5: Seven and at FIRST i thought he was, embellishing AND i, realized, no he's totally. Serious and to reinforce, that here's What Jonathan gannon said On Mad Dogs Sports radio When Adam shine asked him about the availability Of Will johnson.
Speaker 9: At Their friday End AND mani has all these algorithms that he, has all the analytics people running all this, stuff AND i, said what are the chances that he's there in? Two and they're, like, coach like point zero, Two like no. Chance, Right so when he was sitting there right at, Him i'm, like, dude AM i missing? Something like this is the best corner in the? Draft like what are we talking? About like you, know and there's a group of players that we liked and right when we were, picking and that was kind of a no brainer, too where like we think this guy's a starting corner and you, know just the person as phenomenal as. Intangibles he's very, intelligent and he really is a scheme fit for us. Too so it was, like, dude, like let's take that.
Speaker 5: Guy see, now that's interesting this scheme. Fit on top of being you, know six,' two on top of being, incredibly athletic one of the top turning of recruits coming out of, high school being a Two Time, all american he fits the scheme.
Speaker 1: As.
Speaker 5: Well wolf you care to SPECULATE what jg means? About, That, yeah.
Speaker 1: Paul You know i've been talking, about it just the scheme Fit That will. Johnson is leading up to. The draft YOU, and i as a matter, of fact had this conversation, about him the fact that he's six to two hundred and, two pounds but more, than that he's a corner that plays really really well in. Zone Coverage The arizona cardinals quarter coverage specifically four deep three underneath rushing four that's called. Quarter coverage for the, most part they play an awful lot, of It And will johnson is really really good playing in his. Zone room this is something that is, In. Eight paul it's your ability to dissect what it is that you're seeing and row combinations and then keeping your eyes on the quarterback and being able to cover the receiver and make a break on a ball unexpectedly from time. To time this Is What will johnson Gives The. Arizona cardinals AND what i Loved about day two was the fact that they Also Drafted, jordan birch that kid from at six. Eighty pounds the combination of getting edge pressure from a Guy Like jordan burch and that resulting in a possible Pick From will johnson is SOMETHING that i am predicting right now in the.
Speaker 5: Rookie season so in that, Same Interview jonathan, gannon said After the Cardinals Took, will johnson he had quote about eight defensive coordinators, text, him oh you got maybe the best corner in. The draft so there were a lot of teams that had their Eye On will johnson and we're both. In agreement cardinals probably had a lot of action on the phone wanting. THAT pick, mani, said nope they made the selection of, forty seven and then to, your point at number, seventy eight They Took. Jordan burch started his Career At, south carolina ended Up. At oregon this, last season he played, ten games, nine starts had eight and a, half sacks eleven tackles, for loss six. Passes defensed he missed four games due to injury right rolled, an ankle but other than that he was. Really disruptive, in fact Let's let maniaciford take it. From there what he Liked About, jordan.
Speaker 6: Birch, size, length power ability to collapse. The pocket he missed a couple, of games got dinged up with. Some injuries this year was productive in the games, he played played against good people and brings a unique skill set for a guy who's his size and length to be able to play on his feet and play out on the edge of the line.
Speaker 5: Of scrimmage so we mentioned how DIFFERENT the d line. Room looks how about outside linebacker edge Right Now Wolf, Josh sweat Xavi And Collins baron browning is back And. Healthy bjojalari you can only help, You know hope. Is Healthy, xavier, thomas who by, the way. Looks swoll apparently he's been winning. The Offseason xavier thomas And Now jordan birch will be joined at times Maybe By Mac. Wilson senior but tell us how You Think jordan birch fits into that room and what that means for the.
Speaker 1: Entire, group yeah, YOU KNOW pauli i think in third and obvious. PAST situations i think at some point in the twenty twenty, FIVE season i don't know if it's from the, first GAME but i think early in, this season at, SOME point I Think jordan birch is going to be a guy that is playing out on. The Edge Obviously josh sweat is going to be one of, those guys but Opposite Of, josh sweat you might have a just an absolute competition that you're talking about maybe five guys that are going to be in the running to be that. Guy OPPOSITE and i Also Think, jordan birch because he's he's two hundred and, eighty pounds you might want to line him up even as a three. Technique inside but it's going to be fascinating to me to see how they. Use him and you can say that about so many, different Guys and polly would just Say That nick rowlis is a guy that does some unorthodox things from time to time in terms of scheming up certain pass rushes. Or, coverages yes so when you said he's a guy who, does that when You.
Speaker 5: Said jordan birch in, that. Context right THE flexibility i Thought Is zavin collins on This Show Big red rage in the year saying all the different positions he was Used By Nick rowlis. Zay mccollins a nearly, six' five two seventy he was inside of a three technique. On passing downs he's playing deep center field other times because. He Can run, and i'm thinking, You Know what jordan birch has a similar size, and skill set?
Speaker 1: Does, he not, Yes, He does paul yet at, the same Time You got walter, nolan as well and You Also. Have darius, robinson two Guys Where is darius robinson going to be over that that guards outside shoulder as, a three technique especially on? Third and obvious where are the pass rush reps? Gonna come from who's going to? Fill that need it's going to be fascinating to watch that as the. Season, on folds, Paul.
Speaker 5: For example walter nolan, the third right he was known for playing a boatload of snaps. AT all, miss i mean he played almost the entirety, of every game and That's something that cardinal's really respected about. His game film in, the fourth quarter he's still running. DOWN screens, downfield i mean they really think he as. A great motor but now instead of playing sixty, snaps a game if he's playing thirty or thirty five really good snaps and he's able to let it rip and you're bringing guys. In, in waves right once again our big Question about. This cardinals Defense Instead of nick rowlis getting to the quarterback, by you know, dialing it up who? Went or where if you force an, offense to answer how how can you stop our dudes one on one? Four man rush it just. Totally changes everything elevates the entire unit on that side.
Speaker 1: Of the ball no. Doubt. About it, paulie once again get pressure on that quarterback and suddenly your secondary gets. Ten times, Better, all right.
Speaker 5: Hey be the first To see the cardinals twenty twenty five schedule when It, Gets released, Wednesday May fourteenth go todaisycardinals dot com slash schedule for all the info. And the opponents guess what two sleepers who might contend for? A starting spot that's Next In The big red Rage Presented by Santan ford In gilbert.
Speaker 1: Let god taking It jup n.
Speaker 8: That is ER sipted in Ms.
Speaker 5: Time dem zilbert the second.
Speaker 4: Career interception for A.
Speaker 10: Junior from phoenix, He comes down.
Speaker 5: Cody sign up that's a Awful none and.
Speaker 9: Rock sacked.
Speaker 5: Again Third time Cody.
Speaker 1: Simon Pips jackson d.
Speaker 5: He's dropped Down Immediately.
Speaker 4: By cody zeimer show up and Down He, Goes.
Speaker 5: Cody simon i'll tell you a, lot to like a lot, of intriguing players and resumes. On day three It Is The big red Rage Presented by Santan Ford And, Gilbert Paul Calvic ron wolfley and here's my holy can. Only Stat Wolf in super, bowl fifty two, Seven years Ago Philly. Beat new england there. Were eighteen starters eighteen starters who are drafted in the fourth, round or lower including six. Undrafted. Free agents wow so it shows you the value that can be had. On day three and if you're talking, About Round four cody, simon the linebacker, Round Five, Corner denzel, Burke Round six hayden Connor, out of texas the, Interior Offensive, lineman keaton crawford the Safety out of nevada who's spent his first Four. Years at texas you see, a pattern. HERE don't you i, mean big schools big time talent guys who played, in big games right. In big moments they all sort of have that one, thing in common? Do they not now.
Speaker 1: They do bully they are bawlers for, the most. PART you know i Also, THINK of rabbit I think. OF dante's stills i think of the Value That the arizona cardinals have got from. Day three ON and when i Think About, a cody simon. It's very interesting we'll see what kind of. OPPORTUNITY he gets i Also Think, of hayden connor taken in the sixth und and this is a guy. That is huge, he's six six he's three hundred. And fifteen pounds he's not going. To be wowed. He's very, experienced of course he's a guy that played an awful, lot in college and he's not going to be wowed by COMING into the nfl because He played at texas and not only who he practices against, obviously every day but also against other teams PLAYING. In the sec so it's going to be really interesting To See how. HAYDEN connor does i wouldn't go to. SLEEP on him i think he could be a guy that could could contribute. From, the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah let's talk about. Those two guys Let's Start. With cody simon he was the inside linebacker six two, two twenty nine ran a four to six flat forty fifty Eight Games, at ohio state he started. Thirty of them Four Time Academic, all big ten and here's what he told the media when asked about where he'd.
Speaker 2: LIKE to PLAY i think i can play in. Any scheme, POSSIBLY you know i love to, be A learner and i can just study and really prepare AS the, best i can, And you know i'll be ready to play with wherever. And With whoever so i'm just excited to be able to be part of assistant that's a little bit different and can go. To tack offenses and.
Speaker 5: HE'S really, versatile i mean there's a. Stat on him he's one of three players in college football history since twenty twelve with one hundred plus tackles in a season ago with seven sacks and, Seven passes defense so from what, IT sounds, like i mean and he also had the third Highest, Run defense analytic so sounds like he's great, in the box but he's also pretty good in space as well and getting.
Speaker 1: After, The, quarterback yeah, pauly you know and although, he's one fifteen not, One, oh four pauly he's one. FIFTEEN right, there i, mean you know running a four to six will make you one fifteen as opposed to a four or five eight or a four. Or five, nine you know one oh four is where you typically. Go on that so you know he's gonna have to. Shake it off i'm sure he's. Gonna BE fined but I Also see cody simon, BEING a guy pauli that can really help out. In transition immediately he's a guy. Who can run he plays the. Middle linebacker position we know how important that is for transition, and special teams being able to. CONTRIBUTE on Teams I think cody simon is going to be a guy right from the very beginning who is going to be given the opportunity to make a football team on transition and. In special teams.
Speaker 5: And here's The other thing I'll Say. On, CODY simon look i had a bit of A Man crushing jihad cambell right, a, little bit okay and he ran a four. OR five one i get it the Backer. Out Of alabama the eagles trade it back into the first round. To Get, him but wolf if you have superior instincts as, an inside linebacker you play a lot faster than a. Four to six so We'll See if cody simon is that guy and the, instincts are there, then guess what all, of a sudden he's making a lot of tackles like he runs a.
Speaker 6: Four to four if.
Speaker 5: You're, that good Hey How. About denzel burke how much do you like the fact that not only did he start fifty One Games, at, ohio state right, the local kid but he's gone at, least against five maybe six different first round receivers just in Practice Man. At, OHIO state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i know again it's one of the things that comes With Going to Ohio state Or texas Or. Michigan or oregon you're playing against guys who are basically GOING to be nfl players at some. Point IN time so i do. Love that experience you're not going to be wowed by. It at all, and you know yet at, The, SAME time paul i wonder about. That cornerback room think about how well that cornerback room played Last Year with garrett, williams Of Course and Max Melton. And star thomas those three guys were just killer to me how. Well they played and now all, of a sudden you're going to throw in The Likes of Will Johnson and denzel burke and that the competition level is going. Through THE roof and i think that is such a great trend for the entire. Team right Now manti asin ford has done a great job of actually, making it competitive and this IS something that i think is really going to show. Up in training there.
Speaker 5: Are a dozen corners Currently on, the cardinals roster so you talk about a Competitive room. Called cardinals camp and Then Round. Six hayden connor you mentioned him, a little bit six. Six three FOURTEEN here's the gm moniasa fort On how the texas Guy fits.
Speaker 6: The cardinals offense, he's a, big strong guy he. Can Get movement he's texas runs the, Ball a lot he's played well, in that system and he holds up really Well IN passbro so i think he's a good fit for what we.
Speaker 5: Try TO do and i brought This Up with dave sears earlier. In The show the rams last year in round six got Their Starting center bow Limmer out of arkansas six,' five three twelve a guy who had started a ton of, games over four years so many. Similarities To this PICK hayden connor that i think he will, be given a chance and like what, he told, The meet he said i'm humble enough to. Do whatever they want i'm CONFIDENT enough to think i can challenge. FOR a starting spot. I, LOVE, the mentality.
Speaker 1: Yeah pauli this is going to Be Really. INTERESTING because hayden connor i don't think for the most part, this is just me but watching him on some of the some of THE highlight, tapes that i have. He's not super athletic he's not. A really athletic guy but what he. Is is a mauler he's a.
Speaker 2: GUY and you.
Speaker 1: Know, I love this THIS this. Is what i love he's a guy who is really hyper physical at. The, point of attack now once again you got to be able. To keep your feet but he is a guy that is going to. Come off the ball when you talk about guys coming off the ball with a dark heart, and a Painted Face. Think of hayden connor. He is that guy so let's hope that he learns and understands what it takes to be good in, protection first and foremost good at his job and. Knowing what, to do but man if he can hold up in, pass protection at all he might be a guy that could surprise coming, out of training.
Speaker 5: Camp and then, the Seventh Round pick safety keen crawford spent his First four years at Texas. Before going to nevada he played a thousand snaps on special teams in college wolf in his career as a guy Who Went to four pro bowls. As special teams assassin what does That Tell. You, about keaton crawford.
Speaker 1: Yeah it tells me an, awful lot once again and. IT'S not a surprise I think they drafted crawford because of his ability. TO play in. Transition i really do. He's a special guy he's. A guy to watch we'll see if he gets the opportunity to, make the fifty three but he is a guy that certainly can, help them. In transition no, doubt.
Speaker 5: By the way the cardinals assigned, Numbers Earlier this week walter, nolan the, Third Number ninety seven, Will Johnson numbers zero jordan birch, Will Be fifty two cody Simon fifty, As A mike linebacker, denzel burke Twenty nine and then, Jacoby Ber said, Seven Josh sweat ten kaleis, campbell wait, For It Ninety three dang dalvin tomlinson Ninety four and The Baron Of pass rush baron browning. Will be, NUMBER five.
Speaker 1: My favorite Pauli Was zero. FOR will johnson.
Speaker 5: Zero I Loved It, Special Thanks, Jim Omhunter. Cody fincher Evan REISER Thanks To, assistant gm dave Sears RON. Ulfully on paul kelvc This Has Been the big red Rage presented By. Santan ford in gilbert.
Speaker 3: You've Been Listening To the big red Rage presented By santan ford and Gilbert, right on the price right on The corner of The santan Two. Two Freeway and valvista the rage is Brought To You. By Arizona cardinals podcast visit azycardinals. Dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little big red. Rage football right here.
Speaker 3: This has been an Exclusive Presentation Of The. Arizona cardinals football club