Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, September fourth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number twenty two. Welcome to the latest edition Off the Break. We are alive from the s WBC Mortgage studios at the Star. We're presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting seey at LG dot com. Forward slash O led Evo. Welcome to the show. How everybody doing today?
Speaker 2: Excellent?
Speaker 4: Are you tired?
Speaker 2: One of those?
Speaker 4: Is that? What that is?
Speaker 6: It's been raining since it was since early morning?
Speaker 7: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: Do some means you should be home wrapped up in the blanket watching TV?
Speaker 4: Maybe you? I'm excited. It's week one. The NFL season should be nowhere but right here talking Cowboys football heading into week one. Actually the first game. The NFL starts tomorrow night. I can't wait.
Speaker 8: Crazy another one Friday. That's gonna be goofy, but it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know. I'm actually heading out to uh in Arbor, so Friday night I'll be doing Texas type things. But but yeah.
Speaker 6: The commitment for week one, you know, it is not this commitment.
Speaker 4: It is. It absolutely is. And when I saw when I first saw the schedule come out, and I was like, wait, week one, Cleveland and Arbor and Cleveland aren't that far apart. Oh yeah, I'm there. So I'm going up watch my Longhorns. On Saturday. I will drive two and a half hours. Me and Clarence Hill. We're going to get in the car and drive.
Speaker 2: Why you left? You might all then why are you left?
Speaker 4: Are you saying this isn't responsible?
Speaker 2: Clarence? She just might take it into a ditch.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm not gonna let you talk about my brother like that. We're gonna take it. We're gonna drive on down there safely, and then Sunday we'll be able to watch.
Speaker 2: About two hours. We're never gonna get back in new life.
Speaker 8: That'll be a fun weekend.
Speaker 4: Oh We're gonna have a blast. A lot of our frat brothers are going down Goods.
Speaker 2: An impressive place to go watch a college football game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and well I've never been. That's the thing big, That atmosphere is wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When you get a chance to go to the Big House and watch your team play if you're not in the Big tens, Yeah, I'm very excited about it. All right, let's talk to some Cowboys football.
Speaker 9: Though.
Speaker 4: I got a message from Brian this morning.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he called me out there until a meeting and he calls me and he's like, he leaves a message and he's like, hey, I got a question that I want to open the show with. You'll go you're okay with that? And my heart just sank, Like, oh God, I don't know what Brian's gonna ask us, but I was like, sure, let's go for it.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 4: We're gonna live dangerously, so Brian, let's let's delve into the let's delve into the mind of Brian brought us and uh and what question do you have.
Speaker 2: For Thank you very much, Derek. I appreciate you allowing me to do this. Nick Harris Okay of Guidon BB Carsonneeland power rank the order that you need the most importance to the least importance, and how they're going to play are how you're going to need them to play going forward in this game.
Speaker 8: Week one specifically, Yes, okay, I'm gonna take I'm gonna take giton one. I think he needs to have a strong showing against Miles Garrett. There's got to be some protection off the edge, not only for past protection, but to be able to seal off the edge as well in the running game. They're gonna need to find some some confidence there. Two. I'm gonna go Kaylan Carson. They do have these receiving threats. If Deshaun Watson is playing healthy, obviously that's a big question mark, then they are gonna go after Kayln Carson early on in this game, and they are going to try and attack that rookie. If he can show early on, hey I'm no slouch, then that that would be huge towards the defensive success. Three BB four Kneeland. That's that's how I would rank him.
Speaker 2: Why would why would you would have BB third?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would go BB over Niland running game. Once again, there's a lot of experience in that interior defensive line for the Browns. I mentioned yesterday, guys with eight, nine, ten years of experience, Shelby Harrison, there, Tomlinson. There's some guys that he's gonna have to be able to stack up against and push forward. We didn't see that a whole lot last year from Tyler Battish. So if he can get that get after it in the run game, then I think they find some success there on the run game. But that's a big if. But those three very little separation there, and then I probably have Kneeland down here. He still needs to perform, don't get me wrong, but I think these three guys it's very important that those three guys produces man.
Speaker 4: Actually, my order was exactly the same. I started with Geyton mainly because I got a quarterback back there I need to protect, and you got, in my opinion, the best most fearsome pass rusher in the NFL opposite him, and so that that becomes that's the first thing they gotta do, is they gotta shore that up. Then I put Carson mainly because I think that'll be if I'm the opposing offense, I'm going to be like the first person I want to test and see how good they are. Is Carson. I know I've they've probably heard all the things we've said about this guy and how good he's been in camp, but they want to see and I would guess they're going to try to look for opportunities to get their veteran Amari Cooper lined up against him in situations where you really get to test him. And that's going to test him because we know Mari Cooper is a guy that runs crisp routes, knows how to get to the spot he needs to get to. Going up against a rookie, that's going to be a lesson, and so that's going to be the second one. And then it's b Be for a reason that you talked about Brian yesterday. If this running game is going to be successful, its success is really going to come from the fact that they will have power up the middle right, and I think bb is important. He's critical to that. So I want to see if he can continue what we've seen from him and be able to do that in real live games. And then Nilan. The main reason why Niland is for is because he didn't have to start. He's a rotational guy. These other guys they're starting, and quite frankly, before we on there, we talked about this. I was talking to one of our PR guys and they're trying to get the actual stat for me of when was the last time the Cowboys had this many rookies starting on week one? Right now, according to the unofficial depth chart, there are four rookies that could possibly start. Three of these guiding Carson, Bibi, and then Mary sla lea foul will see. He's a base defense guy, so we'll see if they started Nickel or in Basse. But however, it goes three to four rookies starting in week one of a season, it seems like a large number to me, And so I think Niland is in that mix because he's gonna play quite a bit as a rotational guy. But you don't need him as a starter. You got two very very capable pass rushers ahead of him on the depth chart.
Speaker 6: Hey, g I wish I could give you a different answer, but I'm on the same page as to you, guys, And the thing is the only reason I'm putting Carson before BB. So I do think guys in for sure, And the only reason Carson is number two is because I'm still I still have question marks with Trevon Dick's return. And again, he's looked really good. He looks really really good in practice and he's moving around really well. But we know that one thing is practiced and another thing is a real game. So I'm still kinda keeping my eye on that. We tend to see when players come back from an injury that sometimes it takes them a while, sometimes even a whole year for them to get back into how they used to be. So I think the backfield defensive backs is gonna be an area where they're gonna have everybody's gonna have to bring their a game this time. And I think Carson is the guy obviously being a rookie coming into a game like that, it's gonna be a big moment for him. But same thing then Bibi and then Nielan, mainly because of the position that it is. For Kneelan, I mean, you're not you have depth there, you have more guys that you can rely on. But Bibe, I mean he's still that's a that's a key position for sure. But I would say based on Trevon Diggs and what you're missing with their own blind Carson is number two.
Speaker 2: It's all starts with BB.
Speaker 4: Guys, all right, BBS number one, one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, BB's number one.
Speaker 6: It's funny because when you you know Brian and if for those if you're not watching, Brian's listening to all of us giving giving us an answer, He's like smiling, Yeah, I got this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. To me though, it all starts with BB really up front, you know, and the fact that at Kansas State he didn't play any center. I mean, this is a total projection for him, but he's done a nice job. You think about the snaps, you think about the calls, you think about the protections, all that stuff with Geiton all that's all that's predicated on communication between Dak and Bebee, who they identify the mic backer. And then they're gonna slide this thing, chip this thing, whatever they're going to do. Carson's number two in this thing too, and you're absolutely right there because they're gonna try and match you up is what they're gonna do. I'm gonna tell you this. Knowing Jim Swartz the way I do in Cleveland and talking to some people who know Jim Swartz, I asked this morning, this guy said, how does he attack? He says, watch Swartz. He knows that Geyiton's going to get help this game. He's going after Steele. He's going to see if Steele with Miles Garrett can win one on one. And he feels like if you watch Steel play, sometimes there's a little bit of a lack of power there. The one thing Steel is really good at and he's got better at because his health is returned, is his ability to move keep somebody wide. But if he has to play with a guy that has power, sometimes that guy will dip on him and take him to that quarterback and it'll be a little bit of a problem. Schwartz knows that Swartz knows that Guidon's going to get all the help. They're worried about the rookie. I would wouldn't be surprised if we see Geyiton be okay, now, there'll be some rushes over there where. I believe that you'll see Miles Garrett because he's a right in player, you know, and when we get into them tomorrow we'll talk about it more. But he is a right in player, but you see him also. I would also anticipate I would also to pate uh the two guards getting covered in this one, and then also Miles Garrett one on one with BB. That where I think that could be a pressure point for this team as well.
Speaker 4: Real quick, for those that may not understand, explain what you mean when you say to two guards being covered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what they could do is that when when when guys are uncovered, you're you can help, You can slide, you can do things. If Martin's uncovered, he could slide and help if he's covered.
Speaker 4: And when you when you say covered, you mean guy on him, on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they if they, if they cover everybody across the front and then eliminate. It's hard to chip on a guy when he's in the middle of the defense. So all of a sudden, that might be a pressure point for you because then it turns into one on one with BB versus Miles Garrett in this game. So I think that it's like I say, BB and then go down from there. But but Carson in this game is going to have to play big. He's really gonna have to play big big. But the thing about it, and we'll get into and I'll let you now segue into Brian tell me about the Browns offense here or something like that, they're.
Speaker 8: Just taking all your responsibilities today.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Actually, actually that's a great question because I really literally before this show, I was talking to PR about those rookies and I think.
Speaker 2: It's the dirty I think it's a dirty dozen things from the seventies. I think the Landry drafty it was the Randy White draft that they called the group the Dirty dozen, And I want to say, if I just had to go off the top of my head, that was several of those guys, and I don't know if they all started, but it was a very good draft class for them.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing. Like we talk a lot on this show. We talk a lot on our draft show about how well this team drafts and and they've drafted. We think they've drafted well. But to get to the point where you have that many guys in their first season starting game one, I mean, that's that's kind of where the Cowboys are in their salary cap as well. It's just an indicator over.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they barely did anything in free agency, so you're left to having to rely on these young guys.
Speaker 2: What about our bad teams that we had in early two thousands, Derek where it was Derek Ross, Antonio Bryant. I want to say that we had a we had a draft class there where a lot of those cats had to play. Yeah, and I'm trying to remember all of them mine. I sometimes I can, sometimes I can't, But I just remember that class we had where Derrick Ross was the starter, Antonio Brien was the starter. I'm sure there's at.
Speaker 4: The break was at two thousand, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and one, Yeah, I think that, but that was that was a class where it might have been two, but it was. It was a class where that several of those guys had to start just because we could look at it the break. Yeah, if you want to get into some other stuff. So thank you for the question. I mean, the answer so overall good answer for the most part. Not really nick yours kind of answered, all right, we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna take our first break when we come back. We're gonna let Brian jump in give us his assessment of the Cleveland Brown offense versus Dallas defense. Will be back Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 7: Redy Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and tive G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable.
Speaker 10: Secure five G requires Campabo plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 8: No one comes close.
Speaker 4: LG O lead.
Speaker 11: Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil Change. A proud partner of a Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 2: Yep, you hurd that correctly.
Speaker 3: Take five is so fast you don't don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 12: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 8: The winds will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan, or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. The Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Bank of America NA Member After I see Eco Credit Opportunity lender Back to the break.
Speaker 6: Lgoled Evil is the best ev in the game, but don't take our word for it. Derek Digital Trends said the lgoleed G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash Oldevil, Welcome, Smooth second segment, show Live mess WBC Mortgage Studios at the slide.
Speaker 2: You're here for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 4: This segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, here's what we're doing. Brian's gonna give us a breakdown. You guys remember from last year we do this every Wednesday. We will have Brian break down the opposing team's offense versus the Cowboys defense and then on Thursday, we'll have Brian break down the opposing team's defense versus the Cowboys offense. That's what we do every week here.
Speaker 6: I'm nervous about this one.
Speaker 2: Brian, jump in if you got a question.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I actually did want to start with a question I was looking at. I was looking at some information on the Browns offense, and obviously it starts with their quarterback Sean Watson. Last year, he was fourth lowest in completion percentage in the NFL when over one hundred and fifty passes. My question for you was that more about Watson or was it more about his receiving options Watson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy is not an accurate thrower. He's got a really strong arm though. I mean I was watching the one of the games before he got injured, the Tennessee game where they played, and he can make the throw standing in the middle of the pocket and throw it all the way to the left or right sideline, I mean on a deep shot on the outs. So he's got the arm strength. The problem with him is he's not always accurate, and a lot of it has to do with mechanics. His feet don't always get set, but they tend to try and play to his strengths of moving him. He's very anxious about getting out of the pocket and kind of moving and sometimes he'll move when he doesn't have to move, and then that'll affect the way that he throws the football, and so you'll see receivers it's the ball doesn't always go down the field with him. It's they try with the waggles and the boots. I know that's the phrase and we always use where it's send the offensive line one way, let him come back the other way, and Joku and Joku the tight end is going to catch it in the flat, he's going to catch it underneath. They're trying to make as many simple throws. You mentioned the thing with a Marii Cooper. We all understand who Mary Cooper is, and you gave a very good description of how a Mary Cooper plays. They play him on the outside. They put a Mariy Cooper in the slot. He's very measured with the way that he runs his routes and then he's measured. It's one of the best if you look at the statistics or you look at metrics, he's one of the best receivers along the sidelines when there's little or no space. He's one of the top receivers. So when you think you have him covered and you've got him all the way pin to the sidelines, you still got to cover him because great body control, great balance and all those things. So we'll see what happens with with with Judy. They added him with a trade this year. This is kind of a make or break year for him as well, you know, coming from Denver. So But the thing that you're to your question, it's more about Watson's accuracy or lack of that has caused them promise. They threw the ball when Joe Flacco was in there, the ball was going down the field. I mean, Joe Flacco is like under center, play action downfield, play action downfield. They their offense was better. Now they lost a key member of their offensive coaching staff. We talked about Bill Callahan. I gave him the nickname running Game Moses because everywhere he's been the offensive line play is great. They run the football and all that. You know. Uh, they got to coach Dickerson from the Seahawks that had been with them before. Seahawks are team that has some physicality with the way that they run the ball. We've all played the Seahawks, we know how they play, so I'll be interested to see and how in fact that it works out for there. I think you're gonna have to be ready for some screen package stuff. In this they ran a double reverse screen, which it was. It was a pretty play, uh with the with you know, you get the reverse and then the first guy with the ball now ends up being the guy that catches the ball with blockers in front. But you got tied end delays, you got running back delays, and you've got then also the double reverse. But the tight the these screen packages are something that they like to go with. They'll they'll try and move you around, send you one way and then come back the other to throw the football. So, uh, you have to be you have to be really really ready for that. I think in the offensive line, they've got questions with their tackles, the health of their tackles right now, so both of them coming back from major knee injuries. We'll see if, in fact, though that Dallas with some of some speed, some quickness there, that maybe these guys aren't up to snuff when it comes to their sets. Getting away from the line. You know, the Cowboys need to take advantage of any of that kind of injury stuff that they could deal with, especially very early in guys really not having a lot of work in training camp. These tackles haven't had a lot of work, so playing out there, there's some questions about whether some of these guys are going to start so but I feel like though, too, you can overpower their inside guys. Postic the center, tell her the right guard, and Botonio the left guard. I especially feel like that Teller is the guy that gives up the most ground, and if you could take him back into Watson, that affects Watson because as soon as Watson feels it, he's gonna bail. Talk about and maybe having to play a little bit of contain around Wats. We've seen that when you've played.
Speaker 8: That's the PTSD from early on in his career in Houston. Yeah, he was just bailing as soon as he saw.
Speaker 2: Everything everything, Yeah, hit this offensive line. You know, for the most part when he was playing, he was every time there was a pressure and I watched all the pressures and I'm like, how's this guy handling and he doesn't handle it particularly well. But I kind of feel like though questions that they're tackle spots with health, and I think you could bully their center uh posk And I think you could bully Teller the right guard and that might be that might be a little bit of an area that of a sticking point for them to try and protect that way. They're tight end and Jokuho, I said, is really a good tight end. I have to be ready for him in the flat that's where he makes a lot of his play. So mixing coverages on him, I think will be key. Do you put you know, do you walk Lewis over there maybe to cover him? Do you walk you know, do you bring h mcqualmoo in, maybe a big guy cover him right there? You know? I think you just kind of got to give him a bunch of different looks and make Watson half to read your defense. If Dak Prescott's having struggles reading this Mike Zimber defense at practice, my man Watson's gonna have some problems as well doing the same.
Speaker 4: Let me let me take you back to Watson, and I want to.
Speaker 2: I thought he was good a really he's gonna have a great career. When he was with Bill O'Brien, at Houston.
Speaker 4: Right, But and that's kind of where I'm going. I want to find out what are the differences if there are any talk about his accuracy, accuracy, talk us to the differences in how he plays before all the stuff happened in Houston, when he was playing at a level that we all thought he was going to be an All Pro kind of player for many years, to where he is now in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just seems like to me in Cleveland, he just hasn't got a grasp of what they're trying to do, and they're trying to find ways to take advantage of his athletic ability. I mentioned the accuracy. It's hard to call offensive plays when your quarterback is throwing the ball. We know what Amari Cooper is. Mary Cooper can like catch the ball off his shoe, tops Amari Cooper can catch the ball over his head. It's a amazing to watch these receivers have to work for the football, especially when they're open. Now they're running acrossing routes and then and the ball is like low and it's it's it's almost like watching Trey Lance throw the ball that sometimes he's just on target and then other times it's like, well, that's behind the guy and now the guy doesn't have the opportunity, or or that was just a terrible throw, or he didn't really step up in the pocket and make it. Throw at Houston seemed like he had a better handle on trying to get the ball to his guys. They had a better and I'm not saying that had a better plan, but it looks like to me that this this this Brown's offensive staff. And we'll see with Ken Dorsey, he's the new OC, but he's not going to call the place Kevin Stephanik's going to call be the primary play car. But we saw what Ken Dorsey was able to do with Josh Allen at Buffalo, and then you know, there was some accuracy problems coming out of college and Nick you might remember and watching watching Josh Allen play at Wyoming, you know there was some Now again he's throwing the ranchers and pharmacists and accountants, niners. Yeah, he's throwing to like tough guys, you know, but guys that probably aren't playing in the NFL, right. But Ken Dorsey was able to kind of find something with Josh Allen there, and that's probably the hope that maybe that his ability to work with quarterbacks that aren't very accurate might pay dividends. Yeah.
Speaker 8: The thing for me, when I look at this this Browns offense and I'm trying to identify the problems here, I see I see a whole obviously at running back, but I understand that this is a play caller. This is a system, like we mentioned yesterday, that gets running backs and gets ball carriers out in space and they figure out how to get those four and a half yards per carry. So for me, I see that as yes, okay, that's going to be what it is. But I'm looking at this receiving corps. I mean, you have a Marii Cooper who proved last year, especially on the back end as he started to pick up some rhythm with Joe Flacco, that he can be a danger. If you have a healthy Deshaun Watson throwing him the ball, I think there's there's problems there. But throw Amari Cooper out of this situation. You're bringing in a possession guy and Jerry Judy you don't really know what he's going to bring to this offense from that possession perspective, And then you have two very young guys who could be guys that take off for a sixty yard touchdown. I'm looking at David Bell and I'm looking at Jamari Thrash. Both of these guys are guys that can take a ball out in space and make some guys look like fools. So this is a dangerous, dangerous receiving core that I think should definitely be accounted for because these are guys that can flip a game on their head, right, just like that. Jamary Thrash, rookie out of Louisville. I really liked him in the draft process. And David Bell, he's heading into his third year out of Purdue, one of the most electric players in Purdue history, and he's had some moments early on in his NFL career. But these are two guys that, like, I want to know where they are on the field, if they take the field.
Speaker 2: If you had to, if you had to take away one thing, and we don't know. With Ford, Ford has had some cape of the running back there has had. I mean, having Chubb out of the lineup is a huge help for the cowboy out but he.
Speaker 4: Was pretty Ford's pretty Yeah.
Speaker 2: With Ford, if you could say I'm going to take away their running game or I'm gonna take away their path. Which one do you want them to do?
Speaker 8: I want them to pass, I want them to especially with Deshaun Watson has not played at all in a game environment since that shoulder injury last year. I want if I'm if I'm the defensive coordinator, if I'm Mike Zimmer, I'm saying, I want you to show me that you can throw the ball.
Speaker 4: So where do you classify? Where do you classify his ability to take off and run.
Speaker 2: That's that's going to be the issue. That's we talked about the contain and having to try and keep him. Remember when we always talked about playing the Seahawks. Heck, it's you play Hurts or you play say and Jack Baltimore Jack, And all of a sudden you think, how do you play? And remember remember when it was with Russell Wilson, his threat of attacking the line and running and doing all that, it was make him play backwards, make him have to keep dropping back, don't give him any avenue to be able to escape, because if he does escape, and we'll see how much of a threat he really wants to be running the ball, especially with the bad shoulder or shoulder history. Uh, but yeah, it contain. And then find a way to make him have to throw this ball from the pocket playing backwards, I think will really really.
Speaker 6: Help you also you I mean, I think it is important for the defensive line to put that pressure right off the bat, because I do think with someone that's coming off an injury, and obviously you never want to hurt the player or wish anything bad on somebody.
Speaker 2: You know name by the way, interviewed.
Speaker 4: At a supers with somebody's baby, McCaffrey was not too kind, learned my lesson.
Speaker 6: My point is, my point is you do if you get to him a few times right off the bat and and and sack him, you you immediately just start putting that in his head and it's gonna maybe prevent him from want to run or let him or allow him to do that throughout the game. So I think you have to set the tone right off the bat. And then also with the guys being so good at the defensive backs and everybody back there being so good at creating turnovers and catching them, I think that's a big opportunity to it's not accurate to be able to get some of those turnovers in this game as well.
Speaker 8: I know I mentioned those receivers and those are obviously a part of the game. But this game, specifically on both sides of the ball, is going to be one of the trenches. There is no doubt about it. If you're looking at it from this perspective, from the Cowboys defense versus a Browns offense, I think they're gonna get after Deshaun Watson. You look at the advantages that the Cowboys defensive line has. I think they can get around these sackles. I think that they can steal off those edges and not allow Deshaun Watson to escape, and if he does, I feel confident in that linebacking court to step up and make a playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to say something super positive about Dallas's defense this year, it's the linebackers, those cats.
Speaker 4: Which is so interesting after the last year.
Speaker 2: Well you know what it took, not playing with any for a whole year, and all of a sudden, when we were doing the draft show and interviewing all the coaches and stuff and the scouts, they were talking about lineback and Clark. I think Clark got has gotten better because of the guys now around.
Speaker 8: Yet for sure, I really do.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this, are you guys at all surprised that Leah Foule is right now officially on the depth chart as a starter ahead of Overshown.
Speaker 8: It surprised me. It did surprise me when I saw that in the release yesterday or was that yeah, it was yesterday.
Speaker 4: I mean it's been like that most of camp. He's been out there with the starters a lot so. But but was it? Is it just surprising that when you look at their talent, I think, I think this is just my perspective.
Speaker 8: Brian might have a different one here. You know, when you look at the three different linebackers and the three different skill sets that they can bring to the field, you would rather rotate Overshown in than rotate Lea foul in. That's from Leah Foul's perspective. He's that guy that can kind of be a rover I think a little bit better rather than Overshown. I know Overshown has this safety background. I like him playing up front more. I think he's better at playing in front of the ball, whereas Leofhal can maybe play behind a little bit and he could step back and coverage a little bit more. I think he works with those other two guys a little bit better as a compliment and overshown getting him on the field as a rotation guy for any of those three guys. He can play either of those three roles. In my eyes.
Speaker 2: No, that's a good that's good analysis. But I'm gonna try and I'm trying to help you here. Okay, I got to think about now you're fine. The thing that I think, I think it's availability. How much practice did we really see from oversho and everything that Remember when we were sitting there interviewing and you asked some really good questions of you know, McCurley linebacker coach, and all the people that were valved and the scouts were all like, oh no, this linebacker Leofhoul, he can do this, he can do this, he could do this. You know. I was I was talking with I was talking with Daniel Jeremiah, who's the broadcaster for the color analysts for the Los Angeles Chargers, and I was thinking, hey, you know, what do you what did you think about leofal coming out? And he was like, run tackle smart. I mean he was going on and on and on about the player and I'm like, man, yeah, you were right about that kid, And I think that I think that's where Zimmer and everybody here fell in love with him. But pre draft, they're like, they're watching his tape. He's smart, he's tough, he makes plays. You know, you can put him behind the line, he can run, he could blitz. There's a lot of things. But how much availability did we really have with Overshown? Yeah, I kind of felt like that every day. I was kind of looking for number thirteen to go out bouncing out there. Oh he's got this wrong. Oh now he's dealing with a hip pointer. Oh now he's And he was missing days, and I was going, well, he's not practicing. So it made it pretty simple for me that one was practicing and the other wasn't. And that's why I think we're in the situation least right now that one is ahead of the other.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a fortunate thing for the Cowboys. They don't have to rush him back and they can kind of let him get acclimated to the game. I guess coming off the entry.
Speaker 2: I heard it he's good to go. Yeah, I heard I heard that Overshown is good to go. So yeah, if that's any concern to anybody.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're gonna take our final break. We'll come back. Got a few more questions on this. If we have a little time, we may get back into our better worst same We had some positions from yesterday. We still need to hit on the defensive side of the ball. We back Dallas Cowboys dot com review.
Speaker 14: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 2: Off the field.
Speaker 9: Legendary John Deere tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near.
Speaker 11: You if you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike. Every play, every hit I mean you by this will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 11: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 8: No one comes close.
Speaker 11: Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash O Leadevo.
Speaker 15: From the field of the festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Luksey store at the Star in Frisco or online at.
Speaker 2: Lucase dot com.
Speaker 15: Lu Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 7: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per how but the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 10: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 6: Back to the Break, AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. Final segment of the break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star. We're presented by LG. LG is the world's number one o led TV and for eleven years accounting see wide LG dot com Forward slash O led Evo. All right, here we go. Let's uh. I had a couple more questions on this. Talk to me specifically about how you think Trayvon Diggs and Kayln Carson matchup against a guy like a Marik Cooper.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think it's gonna be I think it's gonna be interesting. I think they're going to attack these two guys early and often in this game. I think you might expect the running game to get going early. But I if I'm if I'm the Cleveland Browns off its coordinator, if I'm the play caller, I'm trying to I'm trying to go after those two guys trade match up. Yeah, I think from a speed and UH movement perspective, Marii Cooper is gonna have some advantages against these guys. And I think personally, I would rather have Trayvon Digs on Jerry Judy and I would put Kaylen Carson on a Maari Cooper. And I know that's that. I know that's that sounds like are you saying I would travel them? I would travel them. I want I want Diggs to be up against the possession guy. I don't want him to have to change his direction too much during the game. I don't trust in Judy's route running ability to be able to say that he's gonna get around a Trayvon Diggs and the physicality that he brings. You look at Kayln Carson, He's got kind of that dog in him. He's gonna get you a penalty or two during the game, but he's also gonna limit a Mary Cooper, and I think he can he can travel with him a little bit better in that sense, but you're also gonna see a Mary Cooper move inside quite a bit. It's gonna be a task for Jordan Lewis as well. At Jordan Lewis, I think he's he is ready, he is healthy. He's gonna be probably the guy that they lean on a little bit in this game, just because Trayvon is coming off of that ACL. Kaylan is the rookie that's stepping into this situation, so I wouldn't I would expect him to lean on Jordan Lewis a little bit more. But if I'm looking at just the Amari Cooper problem, I would rather have Kaylan Carson on that guy if he's on the outside.
Speaker 6: Is Zimmer a guy that tends to like to have his corners travel.
Speaker 8: Not in my experience, Brian, Not in my experience watching Zimmers defenses. He's a guy that would rather have his guys just stay put in right field or stay put in left field. Yeah, and get used to seeing things come from those perspectives. But I don't know. I think this is a unique situation because you have a guy coming off of a torn acl, you have a rookie stepping in making his very first start. I would rather the task this week be, Okay, study this guy, know this guy like the back of your hand, and go attack this guy. That's just my perspective. But we'll see how Zimmer kind of approaches it as the week gets closer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I know, I don't play fantasy football, and I try not to give fantasy football advice, but I do believe a metric that fantasy football people look at or how the matchups are going to be. And this comes from Pro Football focus on their fantasy matchups and one of the actually on the Dallas end of things, they're saying that if you start Ceedee Lamb of wide receivers, first corners, all corners at Cleveland, he would be a He's just below an excellent fantasy player against their corners. On the flip side of that, if you look at Judy and Cooper, they're good options against all Dallas defensive backs. Now, I don't know, I mean, we'll see how that plays out, but I just you know, sometimes you see these and a lot of times these fantasy people are right. They look at the matchups and they say, hey, this guy here can score a lot of points against or you know, create opportunities against. You know, the fact that Dallas has almost an excellent option against them, I think bodes well for Dallas with Lamb, even though he hasn't you know, practiced and stuff. I just kind of with I worry about with Dallas matching up with those two guys, you know, and Judy is a little bit of a wild card because he could go off or he could be just a big fat zero.
Speaker 8: I think for Judy to go off, it would require Deshaun Watson pushing the ball down the field and a I don't think that's going to be their game plan coming off of that shoulder injury. I think everything's going to be within that ten to twenty yard right.
Speaker 2: That's the way he throws the ball.
Speaker 8: Exactly and then be I don't feel like he's going to have the opportunities.
Speaker 4: And that's also the key I was gonna mention that, Brian, I think with these fantasy sites, I think a lot of it also has to do with opportunities and other things around them. So, for example, with Cleveland, they are a running team with a quarterback coming off a shoulder injury, right, So the opportunities that those receivers may have, even if they win, I win, in their matchups, they may not get as many opportunities as we know with Dallas. Dallas's offense is going to run through Ceedee Lamb. If see Lamb has a great day, it's a good chance Dallas is gonna win. And so I think that's kind of much as much a part of it as maybe even anything else.
Speaker 2: Well, the matchups. Like I said, you know, they look at these matchups, and I was just curious because, like I said, I don't play fantasy football myself and I never have. But if you're telling me, and a lot of these guys and gals are very smart at it, they'll tell you, like opportunities here. They might be looking at it as hey, Cleveland's got no running game. Without Chubb, they might have to throw the football. So but you're also thinking, like, oh, good matchups against all of Dallas's cornerbacks. So you know, I hope, I hope in this case because they got Judy and Cooper were right there as good you know with the others, but then they got Ceedee Lamb as almost an excellent matchup against against those Browns corners, and they've got good corners.
Speaker 8: It would be funny if we talked about these last two weeks seeding potentially not being ready and he just goes out and has like one hundred and twenty five yards, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know what I think that you know, it's it's interesting because Cleveland's one of the best, was one of the best red zone It's been one of the best third down teams in the league last year, but one of the worst red zone teams in the league last year. Hard to believe that you could be really good at one area where you know, getting off the field, and then you can't keep people, you know, out of the red zone area. So yeah, it's it's kind of a It's a lot of it has to do with that front, and they've got really they've got good corners. They just you know, we've seen we've seen Dallas have success. I think Dallas is equipped to to throw the football in this thing, and they find a way to protect that front. They could throw the ball.
Speaker 4: We've gotten forty one minutes into a show where we're talking about the Dallas defense and have not one time talked about Michael Parsons. What is Michael Parson's going to do this week?
Speaker 2: I think that with Micah then you're I think it's very similar to what you're going to see with Miles Garrett. I think that Mike Zimmer is not going to put hand down and let him just rush, rush, rush like that. I think he's gonna move him around. I think he's gonna hunt some matchups. We talked about the inside three for the UH. For the Browns, there's questions on the health of the and the availability of the of the tackles. I think Mike's just going to find it whoever looks like that they're struggling the most in that game. He's going to put people in position, and especially Micah. We saw it in practice. He's standing in the a gap they've got. They've got Kendricks in front, of him, Mike has backed up all of a sudden. Kendricks Blitz is the a mikeh ends up in the sea, standing in the a untouched. They got everybody, They've got everybody accounted for, and nobody for Micah. I could see creativity like that happening for Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 4: Matchups look good, as you talked about with tackles, even if he's lined up on the outside, it looks like he's got some opportunity.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, Well another thing. I mean, he's talked about it during this time and mention how he's so excited, and please write the way that Mike Zimmer, the way he's been positioned in him and he thinks he can take make more place in this way, and how Mike Zimmer is just kind of handling him and his abilities. So I'm excited to see what that actually looks like because it sounds like Mike Zimber. I just I'm just excited overall, just with what he's doing with the defense because I don't know exactly what to expect, and I'm excited about that because it's intriguing. It's something different that we're than what we're used to. I think he brings some more of that creativity part of it, aspect of it where he's just kind of something that I heard a lot is just going back to that, just allowing players to excel a big position better in a way that they can actually excel with their own personal talent.
Speaker 2: Be sound. After what happened in that Green Bay thing. You do not want to see unsound football on defense ever again. That will get you beat badly. And I think Mike will bring that buttoned up mentality to his group and that's how I think they'll play for him.
Speaker 8: We have a news from I McCarthy andis press conference just now. The theme for the Dallas Cabals in twenty twenty has been has been revealed. I would love to get ambar. It's just one. Last year it was carpe omnia if memories at a hotel next door exactly if memories could probably be better than mine to call back to what twenty twenty, twenty twenty one we were. But twenty twenty four is just one word. Rooted, rooted, rooted r O T E D rooted like.
Speaker 6: A plant, yep to the ground.
Speaker 8: Get rooted to the ground exactly.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, feet on the ground stay humble.
Speaker 2: I like to fight better.
Speaker 4: We had enough of fight for years. Let's let's get away from that rooted all right?
Speaker 6: Never they have finished the VisiC.
Speaker 4: We're trying to fish that quight so many years.
Speaker 6: That's that's not an easy word. I don't like it.
Speaker 8: I think there's multiple interpretation.
Speaker 6: I mean, I like the concept, but rooted want I like a word that you can just come out of your mouth easily.
Speaker 4: You're saying just the word itself, not necessarily the meaning.
Speaker 6: Come up with a different word that has a similar meaning, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But the concept, you know what.
Speaker 2: I like the concept, And this is where this is.
Speaker 4: Where I think the concept works.
Speaker 6: What's the mural going to be a tree with roots? Yeah, the mural that't that.
Speaker 4: But I mean like, be where your feet are, be planet where your feet are. And I think in a on a team like this, where they got so many outside distractions, they got people in the last years of their deals and all this kind of stuff going on, I think that's a good message of hey, be right where you are. We're in twenty twenty four, let's not worry about twenty five twenty six. Let's be right where our feet are. So I see the message. I see the message word, but I like the I see the message of the year.
Speaker 2: You hope you're not uprooted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's hope. Okay, all right, as a roun, we appreciate you guys doing it actually real quick. We got a couple. Mom, I'm gonna do real quick. IM gonna go around, say, I want to start.
Speaker 6: It's over.
Speaker 4: I want I want to start. I want to start this every Wednesday and Thursday. I want to go around and tay what I want you guys to tell me advantage Cowboys or advantage their opponent on the position or the groups that we're talking about. So we talked about Cleveland defense. I'm Cleveland offense versus Dallas defense advantage Home. Let's start with you, Nick.
Speaker 8: You said Cleveland offense versus Cowboys defense advantage. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go Cowboys defense here. I love the experience that they've added over the over the offseason. I think adding those two guys in the middle and Jordan Phillips and Linbald Joseph, while they are not starters, these guys are going to add so much to the interior of that defensive line. The linebackers are improved. I think it's a top five unit in the league. I think it's going to be proven as early as Week one. The secondary, I have questions absolutely, not having a healthy Deron Bland, getting Trayvon Diggs from injury in his first game back. They are going to test those guys and as they should. But I like the Cowboys defense here. Like I said yesterday, this is gonna be a rock fight of a game. First team to seventeen wins, So I like I like the.
Speaker 6: Defense Cowboys defense as well. I think I can see the line just creating a lot of pressure and keeping their quarterback just kind of mumbling all over the field. So I think that the defense has the possibility to get at least one turnover. I do. It's going to be a challenge for sure with the receivers and the guys that we have in the secondary, But overall, I think you'll be a good battle. But with the Cowboys defense kind of playing and staying up to.
Speaker 2: Task, Cowboys win it. The biggest position that's a quarterback, and I'm saying that because they're going to attack. They're going to attack Watson in this game. They're gonna make Watson try and win this game. That's an advantage for the Cowboys. And you when you say handle pressure very well, Dak does so.
Speaker 4: And when you say it, and when you said earlier that he is he's a guy, that's not very accurate. Yeah, when you talk about a secondary that has cornerbacks who are extremely good at attacking the ball and creating turnovers in that way, I think that's also something to note. I also give advantage Cowboys defense. All Right, we'll be back tomorrow. We'll talk about the Cowboys offense versus a Cleveland defense. Till then, for Nick Harris, Brian brought us an Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.