Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking whips about.
Speaker 3: The wide Dolphin touchdown, Tyrequel, uncolievable, just.
Speaker 4: Blue fire for a second time.
Speaker 5: Don't know where he.
Speaker 4: Was going right away? Want to hit that though, Man, I'm gonna help you.
Speaker 5: Someone will step on your bandwagon.
Speaker 3: Wattle, Wattle to a shot gut back to throw, looking at them's.
Speaker 6: Up fires touchdown.
Speaker 5: It's Wattle his sixth touchdown.
Speaker 7: Pat this day, Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 4: Now we check your pulse if enough for.
Speaker 6: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 3: And welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's variety show for week number six, we welcome in Daniel Oyafusi of the Miami Herald. We're gonna talk some schematics Dolphins at the five game mark. I guess the new quarter poll?
Speaker 6: Ish?
Speaker 3: I guess the quarter polls after four games and a quarter, right, We're gonna go ahead and do it. After this game, talk some defense and offensive schematics and where things could get even better for your Miami Dolphins. Plus Kyle Krabs for five on Finch Draft, We're gonna hear from Deshaun Elliott, Emmanuel Agba, as well as Cedric Wilson and a whole bunch more. Our Friday detour takes us into an in depth look at Deshaun Elliott's presence in that defensive backfield from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time podcast. Heye Gaffe, as we do every Friday, Let's welcome in my guest Daniel Oyafusi of the Miami Herald. Joining me now on this Friday variety show ahead of the Week six matchup against the Carolina Panthers here at hard Rock Stadium is the great Daniel Oyuafussi from the Miami Herald.
Speaker 6: Daniel, welcome back in, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having Travis.
Speaker 3: Always happy to do that, and you know we I think the last time you came on the podcast was back in training camp. We discussed some of the you know, new schematics you might expect from Vic Fangio's defense and just general expectations of the Dolphins team in general. Before we get to the defensive chatter here, because no, you're a big defense guy, a big offense guy. I'm just curious to get your overall bird's eye view what you've seen through five weeks this year from the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, it's definitely been a fun start to the season.
Speaker 8: I know, you know, from the last time I was on the pod, I said that I was very bullish on this team on both sides of the ball. But starting with defense studient, starting with the offense, I'm not sure anyone could have foreseen, you know, this type of historic start to the season. I thought that with the continuity of you know, Tua and another same seat schemes from year one to year two, Mike m Dane was play caller and a lot of the core guys being back, I thought that we could expect very big things. But again, most yards through the first five games NFL season, I don't know if anyone predicted this type of historic start, but we do have that history and that trend of year two Shanahan style of offenses, where whether you look at year two of the Rams going to the Super Bowl, year two of the Atlanta Falcons, when Kyle Shanahan was the OC going to the Super Bowl. I think even the first full year of Jimmy Garoppolo with the San Francisco forty nine ers going to the Super Bowl, even that before with the Green Bay Packers, Aaron Rodgers winning MVP in a second season, you have this trend of those offenses really taken off.
Speaker 2: But to say that they were going to be top one and.
Speaker 8: All these major statistical categories, I think even you know, the most bullish fan with I said, maybe that's.
Speaker 2: A little bit over zealous.
Speaker 8: So yeah, definitely definitely been exciting to see the way this offense has grown in terms of scheme of personnelities, the little nuances and rinkles that they're instituting every single week. It's really fun to break that down. On the defensive side of the ball, yeah, I think we've seen a little bit of growing pains. We've seen some really strong performances mixed in with some unexpected and maybe disappointing performances against some of the better offenses, better quarterbacks in the league. I again was very bullish on this defense. I thought that this was a unit that has had and still had the potential to be a top ten unit.
Speaker 2: I thought they were going to hit the ground running.
Speaker 8: Obviously, the injury to Jalen Ramsey kind of was tough, tough below for that unit, but you know, you have seen some encouraging signs. It's just a matter of all that coming together, guys kind of sailing into those new roles in it's a completely different scheme from what they're being expressed them to.
Speaker 3: I couldn't speak enough this offseason about an expectation of growth in the second year of the offense. And you mentioned all the stops they had previously, like even that second year of the Browns, like they were substantially better, And I go back to the Niners. I'm glad you mentioned that with Garoppolo because he came in I think it was the second year right of Shanahan being there in twenty eighteen, and they got off to a really rocky start, but he won the final five games there as the starting quarterback. But I remember in twenty seventeen, I was operating a quarterback evaluation website and I was one of the art I wrote was how Brian Hoyer was going to shock the football world and take a twenty seventeen nine Ers team to New Heights, and I was a little bit premature on that with my Niners hype that year. I think that once I got their quarterback in place, that kind of changed the landscape for them. But you also make an interesting point about the offense, you know, hitting the ground running with the continuity they have this year. Obviously, the first game of the season two, it goes for four to sixty six. The offense goes for over five hundred, and that's been their average so far this season. But I thought you you kind of saw that last year in terms of, you know, the first game of the year not their best performance offensively against the Patriots. Then it was a slow start against the Ravens before you had that explosion, and then you kind of, you know, Tua gets injured, comes back, The first game against the Steelers is not ultra explosive, but then you hit that stretch of games where it was just fireworks, fireworks, fireworks, And now from week one you see that kind of take hold already. So I think that speaks to the continuity offensively, And the reason for this long winded rebuttal to you, Daniel is to kind of take us into the defensive side of the football. You mentioned being bullish on that side, and you know, Jalen Ramsey, everyone knows who he is his career accomplishments, but I almost feel like because of his versatility and the defense and just the skills that he offers and the way he can expand your scheme, I would almost compare it to like losing your quarterback on offense in a lot of ways. And so the reason I want to get into that is because I'm curious to hear about how you think this defense and the team in general, but specifically the defense can kind of have an offensive like surge if that makes sense, Like can they put together, you know, the continuity within the same season, get this scheme down and expand and become the defense like you mentioned that a lot of folks were bullish.
Speaker 2: On Yeah, well that's the hope.
Speaker 8: I mean, the one thing that you want to kind of put things in perspective, you would hope that Again, I think Dick Dangel is definitely still experimenting. We've seen some changes in the secondary, not only in terms of injury, not only Jalen Ramsey not playing at all this season, but you know, they haven't played a lot Jalen Phillips, who's kind of dealt with some nagging injuries that's forced Adrey Van Ginko to step up into some different spots and he's been great a revelation so far this year. But yeah, I think the addition of Ramsey honestly could probably or possibly change the kind of the complexion of this unit, especially what you do in the back end.
Speaker 4: You know his.
Speaker 8: Obviously, you know that he's a shutdown corner in previous stops in this similar to a style of defense. He's played that star role in the nickel spot. So again, it just adds to the to the flexibility that you have in there. And again, I think that when we entered this season, we started open training camp, the expectation was that in most cases you're exaving Howard On, who I think has had a pretty solid strong start to the year. I saw some next Gen stats the sampley has given up like tenth viewist.
Speaker 2: Yards and zone coverage. So he's actually had a pretty.
Speaker 8: Nice adjustment and a man had these games to more of his own scheme. And then you expectations that you're going to have Jaylen Ramsey, you know, to top ten cornerbacks on the outside kind of on their own islands, and then your clear.
Speaker 2: Kohu and the nickel.
Speaker 8: And the fact of the matter is, you know, nobody's making excuses, but when you lose a guy like.
Speaker 2: Jamal Ramsey, you have to make some adjustments.
Speaker 8: So we saw Eli Apple on the outside to start the season, and then they moved Cater out there. Tough game against Stefan Daks, a really tough matchup, and then they move him back inside when you see some better results.
Speaker 2: So they're still figuring things out on the back end.
Speaker 8: Up front, you know, they're doing some different runs. I think that that is a bit of adjustment for guys like Christian Wilkins and Zach Seeler, and then even at the linebacker position with Jeron Baker in new addition David Long. So again there is an adjustment period. Like nobody wants to use excuses, it's the NFL and whatnot, But yeah, I mean when you have a lot of guys, a core group of guys that have done something so completely different from what they you know, what they've done from the first four years of the first couple of years of their career, there is a bit of an adjustment period, So I think that over time Banjo will figure out what you know, fits his player's best he'll put them in those roles consistently, and then we should see better play and better improvement from that unit.
Speaker 3: I think that the adjustments in the lineup we saw after the Buffalo game against the Giants was was really impressive and just kind of tells you that there is a finger on the pulse of what's working in terms of the coaching staff and decisions, because I thought those adjustments really had a big impact in that Giants game. And you allude to the entire group there front, back and second level of the defense, but I want to go back to the front part because you mentioned a couple of guys there that I thought had their best games of the year on Sunday against the Giants. And you know, albeit a banged up offensive line and a group that has surrounders so many sacks this year, and they're struggling offensively, but like Christian Wilkins's first step quickness, it doesn't matter who he was facing, it was impressive. Zach Seeler's strength and the arsenal of moves he has where he can kind of you know, chop rip and do all the swim moves and stuff that he does and really utilize the length and leverage that he plays with. And then David Long, I thought, also had his best game of the season. And I think that Daniel, I want to hear your opinion. I think those three guys could be really big keys to get in the defense to play at the level we saw against the Giants, against the Broncos, against the Patriots, because with this defense that we talked about this summer so much, the light boxes you want to operate from to give you more help on the back end. Those guys' ability to you know, four double teams anticipate plays and win they're one on one matchups, I think could go a long way. So I just want to kind of get your feeling on do you agree with that and how do you think those three guys alone could really help create a positive ripple effect across the rest of the defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think the hallmark of like the vic Bangel defensive though, the two high structures and what they do on the back end in terms of post snap rotations and whatnot. But the bedrock of the unit is having a solid front and really a solid front seven, so to speak, that can really maintain that line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, you know.
Speaker 8: Vic said, you know, they're just looking for consistency in those guys. You know, it's tough on guys like Christian, Wilkins and Zach. So those guys are taking on double teams I think at a higher rate than maybe they have in years past of having these lighter boxes and whatnot. And then you know, I think that there is a lot more responsibility on the linebackers inside guys to kind of diagnose their gaps and to make sure that they're in the right spots as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that it definitely starts upfront.
Speaker 8: It was a very good signed to see Christian, especially you know, he had a hit a great rep.
Speaker 2: I think he was kind of on like a shade technique game.
Speaker 8: He just had a great like swin move and I think he got to the to the quarterback and like like less than precent, like listen, two point five seconds.
Speaker 2: It was just incredible.
Speaker 8: So seeing stuff like that, especially with you know, moving guys around and maybe planning some uh some techniques that they maybe they're not used to or customs to That was a good sign as well. But it really does start with those guys having that consistency upfront because Vic like he wants, he wants to stay in those two hot structures he wants, especially pre snap, so it is important to maintain that line of scrimmage. And again a'lbeit against an under man and banged up offensive line, it was good to see him do what they were expected to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that we've seen the results against the teams they faced have essentially kind of reflected the performance of the opposing quarterbacks this season. You know, Justin Herbert and Josh Allen have both been so good this year and it's been a struggle for you know, the Patriots, Broncos and Giants, and the Dolphins defense has made sure those offenses didn't get against them. You have another offense coming in here this week and the Panthers who have been struggling mightily, and so we'll see how the results go there. But I think folks will be kind of waiting for the Philly and Case games to really gauge how far this defense has come. And then even then you have a bye week and kind of splits the season and a half right there, and you have eight more games after that, so a lot of time to get you know, the I guess your identity down as a defense and figure out exactly who you are and what you want to be going forward. The offense obviously already has that stuff. Lockstock and Barrel are ready to go. Highest scoring offense in the National Football League. And so as we have this entire conversation, Daniel just curious because you know, the fans hear my excitement about this team every day going back to February, whenever the off season really begins. But from someone that you know can be maybe a little more levelheaded than than I am, I just wanted to gauge how you think this team has performed based upon your expectations back in September, and how you think you maybe have changed those expectations from here going forward.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would say definitely overall, they've they've exceeded my expectations. And I got to say, if you if you had seen some of the text messes I've gotten from friends, especially after that Denver game, man, then yeah, OUs, there's a lot of excitement after seventy point outing, but you know it's a marathon not a sprint, but yeah, I mean entering the season, I saw this team as a as a playoff team. I saw them as a team that could contend for the division talent wise, I saw them as a team that could stack up against any team of the AFC.
Speaker 2: And I think that five games is the season. I'm not wavering off of that obviously.
Speaker 8: I think I'd like to see a little bit more from the defense as a whole, but I think that they can get there, especially as they get Jalen Ramsey back, they get Jalen Phillips back, and they just kind of overall figure out what they want to do. Like you mentioned identity as a unit, they hone in on that over the second half of the season. I think that we'll see more improvement offense wise. I mean, this is clearly the best offense in the NFL. And I say like, I think that there's certain matchups that could test them a bit. Like you mentioned matchups against Kansas City Philly with strong defensive fronts and strong defenses. I'm really curious to see how they match up and what changes and improvements they make from the Buffalo game where they kind of stumbled a bit. But I mean, it's tough to match up with the you know, the electricity and the explosiveness of this offense. So yeah, I mean I still see them. I think that the overall expectations have changed a bit. You know, I think that I kind of view them in higher regard than I did entering the season.
Speaker 2: I think that they're a legit super Bowl team.
Speaker 8: So again, every game counts the most, but you do kind of look at some of those matchups with more of the heavyweights and kind of put a little more stock to that to see how they how they measure up.
Speaker 3: When you talk like that, it makes me look ahead to like, man, I can't wait for this game and this matchup and this potential maybe.
Speaker 2: Even play week a time.
Speaker 6: But that's the thing, man, Like.
Speaker 3: I got to enjoy this and you know, really be present in each single week because like I think that you know, for a Dolphins fan, you haven't been spoiled like you have been through the first five games of this season in a long time. So to be present to really enjoy these games and not lose sight of a three score victory that you know you expect maybe but you got it, Like, still enjoy it every minute of those games, Daniel. The reason we have you on is to make us smarter as football fans. The secondary reason is to promote your work here. What do you got coming on the pipeline here for the Miami Herald and otherwise.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, first off, and then thanks for having me. You can check out all my work at Miami hero at Miami herol dot com for one subscription to Miami Herald as well. Yeah, I mean, we've had a bunch of stories this week on the new edition of Chase Claypool Vic Dangel's commence on the Defense as well. I got a fun story coming out about the speed debate in the locker room. That's always a fun topic of in Tyree Jalen Wadoor. He mosted Devanie Chan as well some other guys who are kind of contending for that.
Speaker 2: Top spot as well.
Speaker 8: So yeah, and then as well as the Dolphins of Death podcast comes out every week everywhere you get podcasts as well as on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Daniel O Yafusi, Miami Herold, keep doing your thing, man, love your coverage. Likewise, thank you man, and away he goes, Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and come back on the other side and get you soundbites from coach McDaniel's Friday media availability and also welcome in my guest, the great Kyle Krabs. That's Next Draft Time podcast your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you.
Speaker 6: By I don't know.
Speaker 3: As of this taping, I do not yet have the Dolphins injury report. By the time you guys hear this, you probably do, so go on over to at Wingfield NFL to find who is up, who is down. I think we have a pretty good idea based upon who will be available. From coach McDaniel's Friday morning press conference, Rob Hunt good to go, Like he mentioned, sounds like Connor Williams could be questionable, and a lot more there. We'll come back and get some more audio here from coach McDaniel on Connor Williams, who spoke about that injury and how they're kind of getting through the process of determining what's best for Connor here in terms of playing arresting. But we do have a Panthers injury report, and man, it's not good for the Panthers. Running back Miles Sanders is down. Safety Von Bell and Xavier Woods are both down, So their top two safeties in addition to their top cornerback and the top linebacker all going to be out probably a problem when you're facing the best offense in the National Football League.
Speaker 5: So too is.
Speaker 3: Guard Chandler Zavalla, and then questionable are Derek Brown and Brian Burns. If they don't have those two guys, Gosh, could be a lot of points on Sunday for the Miami Dolphins. Let's go back to us, though, because coach was asked about the Connor Williams injury, and he gives you a really good kind of timeline here of how they've played this thing out, why he was down for Buffalo, up for the Giants, not practicing this week.
Speaker 6: Let's go to Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 7: You know, when we made the decision for him to play last week, we knew there'd be residual effects from that, just because you know, that's the that's why we're so overly cautious about soft tissue stuff, and so it's we expected it to be hurting him and it has h and so we've been, you know, adjusting on the fly, and he'll, uh, he won't practice today, but he'll be doing stuff with with the trainers and you know, kind of like our normal process with guys that we don't want to We need to find out more information, but we don't want to put them through the rigors of the entire practice. So he'll be doing that. We'll we'll assess that and then make a call on his his game day status.
Speaker 3: And as it stands right now, the Dolphins are up to seven players who have been or gone to the injured reserve or inactive part of the roster that will require a designation to return, and you only get eight of those. And so with Azukama and Craig Craft being potentially six and seven, after Nick Needham, Rob Jones, Jeff Wilson have all been designated for return, you will certainly get Jalen Ramsey and Tron Armstead. That means, of course craig Craft Asukama could be six and seven, and then Devon ah Chan would be number eight. Right, So you're gonna have to make a decision at some point to save one of those returns because what if something happens to Tua or Tyreeker, whatever the case may be. So coach was asked about that. Here's his answer on how they decipher roster moves. Based upon those eight designations you get for return.
Speaker 7: Of course, that's a that's a huge you know, it's a huge part of the decision making process that we're very aware of. And you know that factors into how many how many players you put on i R, and that was you know.
Speaker 2: You do the the.
Speaker 7: Best thing that you can for the team, knowing all the information, so that that's on the front end of those discussions is okay, well, who's going to potentially be available from a physical standpoint, what implications does that have on the rest of the roster if we didn't put them on IR or if we do, and then the obvious rules and regulations of of the i R system and in present day, so that the you don't have concerns with with you know, best best judgment decisions that are of the appropriate intent and you know, really thought through. So it's definitely on our radar.
Speaker 3: Finally, well, Chase Claypool play on Sunday. What have the discussions been around the possibility of him getting a workload?
Speaker 6: Here's coach.
Speaker 7: Really, there's a there's a third day of evaluation, which is today that because I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I've been very pleasantly optimistic. You know, he's done an impressive job. You know, we we have a very are The system that he's he's going in is very specific, a lot of different words that mean different things, and he's he's definitely hungry and ready to contribute it. Just you know, there's a lot of things in play there in terms of the specific defense and what we actually need in this in this particular game. But you know, it's really just evaluating that and what he what he offers to the to the team, you know, in his current state relative to to the other guys, and what roles would those be. So a lot of that intentionally has to be cloudy for you know, competitive purposes.
Speaker 3: So that's the head coach of your Miami Dolphins football team. We usually do Kyle Krabs a segment at the end on Friday, but I wanted to save the dtour for the end of the podcast here because I think it's a perfect way to go into the weekend ahead of the Carolina game. So without further ado, let's go ahead and welcome in my weekly guest to break down the weekend in college football, the great Kyle Crabs joining us as he does every single Friday. Here to give us a preview ahead of the college football landscape is the great and very tired Kyle Crabs from Locked on NFL Scouting, Locked on Dolphins.
Speaker 6: Kyle, what is it about three hours of sleep these days? With a newborn around the house.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I did take the first shift of one dad duty last night because of Thursday night football, so I was up from ten to one, and then my wife took one to four. So that's exactly what it is. It is three hours of sleep is what we're working with right now.
Speaker 6: But that's okay. We're doing well.
Speaker 1: And if if you can't get up for this weekend of football, then you gotta do what Mike McDaniel says and check your pulse. So we're alive and well here.
Speaker 3: For some reason, I didn't know that you were going to go check your pulse there, and I was going.
Speaker 6: To jump in and say it, but that's bad on me.
Speaker 3: Bad hosting job for not knowing my guests well enough to know that he knows to check your pulse. Moniker round here.
Speaker 2: I mean, ready, let's.
Speaker 6: Go, baby, So let's talk about some college football this weekend.
Speaker 3: And I understand that your eyes are affixed as the rest of the nation will be.
Speaker 6: Kyle, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: That College Game Day is in Seattle this weekend, where the majority of the Washington State Cougar fan base resides post college.
Speaker 6: Go get Pat McAfee, Go get them boys, Go Koog's.
Speaker 3: Kyle tell us about the game on Saturday because this is a fun one man looking forward to.
Speaker 1: It that said, how can I make this about me? Last, and now all of the Washington Fates State fans said, Okay, now we're going to make it about us since he made about you. This game's got a lot of NFL talent on it. When you I mean you look at both teams with Washington and their passing game with Michael Pennix and obviously his career revival after being at Indiana and dealing with some injuries, and the wide receivers of Rome Adonze and Jalim Polk and Jalen McMillan like that trios is good with any wide receiver trio that you will find in college football. And then on the defensive side of the ball, they got guys like Braylan Trice and Zion to pull a Fatui who's been there for a few years. And the linebacker number five, who I'm still working on perfecting the pronunciation on and I don't want to say his name wrong. So number five the linebacker too. There's significant talent on Washington side of the ball. And then oh, by the way, Oregon has Bonix their own quarterback eligible who has made waves since transferring over from Auburn, and Troy Franklin at wide receiver as a big time, highweight, speed guy who's capable of making big plays down the field. And then they themselves have this talent on the defensive side of the ball. Jordan burch is physically talented, Brandon Dorless like, there's there's a lot to like about this matchup with these two teams, and I think it's gonna be a great showcase for college football in the three thirties league.
Speaker 6: They need their own Brett breck Heisen out there.
Speaker 3: To go ahead and give us a by name pronunciation audio file on the website to help you out with that, because that's tough man fun story for you.
Speaker 6: Ahead of you, dub Orgon.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw Javon Holland a very spirited Orgon supporter and alumni tweet a certain moniker that we abide by in eastern Washington and apparently now in Eugene as well.
Speaker 6: But he got it wrong. So it's huck the f you skis right.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say on the podcast. This is a clean show. It's a family show. But he said huck the and then just said the word keep like I can't say it, but you can understand what I'm going with. And so Savon Achmed's walking buy me the locker room, and I say, hey, Savon, come get your boy.
Speaker 6: He's it's it's hucked the Fuskies.
Speaker 3: Man, It's not what he said, and so Savon goes over there and correct him, and Javonn's like it is and then he deleted the tweet. So hey, he's keeping the rivalry fresh, he's keeping it going. I appreciate that. You got to understand that the Washington State fans know exactly what the saying is. Javon does now too as well, So those guys are fired up. I think they t shirt bet on the games. That's fun to fun to follow there. What about a game either before or after that? You get your your main course at three thirty. These games typically are at the eight o'clock or seven o'clock hour, but three thirty on the East coast out here for Washington and Oregon.
Speaker 6: What else you got on this slight this week you're looking forward to, my friend?
Speaker 1: I look at USC and Notre Dame and that's another game that's a later game than the three thirty kick for Washington. That game kicks off at seven thirty on NBC, and USC, ironically enough, not known for defense, but they do have a safety, Kaylin Bullock, who I really like, long rangey, athletic type, good ball skills. So he's somebody who I'm eager to watch against this Sam Hartman Notre Dame offense where they can play balanced. I'm interested to see how he plays the run because he is a leaner, lighter guy. That's a matchup that I think has some NFL ramifications as well that I'll be really dialed in.
Speaker 3: On Sam Hartman's hair. Just if it falls off, does it just like regrow back into place?
Speaker 1: I would assume. So that thing is impressive, that maine of his and he's got and he pairs it with the beard now too, like he literally looks like the West Virginia Mountain.
Speaker 6: Your mascot at the wrong school for that, my friend, it's impressive.
Speaker 3: It's funny, man, because, like I remember watching him on that Netflix show that followed around high school quarterbacks, and he was on some like really really downtrodden program, Like I think it was a new program, and they had like fourteen kids and they were just awful, and he looked like he was about eleven years old even as a high schooler. So it's weird to see him now going from that show to this like grown ass.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty damn good football player too. Kyle, you said it off for the college landscape. What are you looking forward to this weekend here at hard Rock Stadium? I know you were supposed to be down this weekend, but I know you're not making it because life gets in the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that's what happens when you kid doesn't sleep, it's hard to get the household green light to leave. As far as Miami looking looking forward to, seeing is Jeff Wilson going to be activated this week? What is the running game going to continue to look like? Obviously Miami has had so much success running the ball this year and that was what we were all interested in seeing as far as the evolution of this offense and a little bit of adversity with Devon A. Chang going on observe and obviously excited to see him back as soon as possible within what he's able to do and be healthy and be the best version of himself. But keeping that momentum rolling right because after this one, you've got a couple heavyweight opponents looming on the schedule. And being balanced offensively I think is really going to be something that Miami would benefit from in those matchups, and you want to see that continue this week with the momentum that they've had the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to look ahead in the schedule here, but man, I can't wait for that case game. I think it's going to be such an important one in terms of these teams competing for hierarchy in the AFC and just the matchup alone. Like watching the game last night against the Broncos, I don't know if the Chiefs offense is you know what it used to be when they had Tyreek Hill running around there. But I mean they did win a Super Bowl last years. Maybe I'm way off base. On that one, But anyway, that's down the road Panthers this weekend. Is there a game that you may be circling? Like I said, I know it's tough in your situation to really make any plans, but is there a game you're possibly circling here?
Speaker 1: I would feel very confident in saying that I will be down for the game after the bye nice the Raiders game. Believe it's the first home game after the bye week eleven?
Speaker 6: Correct?
Speaker 1: Is that that one is almost a definite? And I would like to try to make New England, but we're gonna be a wait and see mode on.
Speaker 5: That one as well.
Speaker 3: You've got a couple of games in the Northeast as well that you can maybe go and be a road I will be at Philadelphia in week so, oh silly, perfect tough man. Well, I know there's lots of for some reason, that's a PA Dolphins fans, So go enjoy it with those guys, and hopefully stay away from the Eagles fans that chant the spell their name of their team at you as you walk into the building.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 3: Kyle Krabs locked an NFL scouting lockdown, Dolphins appreciate it, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Thanks kras Away.
Speaker 3: He goes, let's go ahead and take our last break right there. We'll come back on the other side. We'll talk to Deshaun Elliott, Emanuel Agba, and Cedric Wilson about the DCC Heavy Hitters event and also our Friday D Tour looks at Deshaun Elliott's presence in the defense and why he might be the key for how this defense can grow and evolve. That's next Draft Time podcast to your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. So one of the themes on the show today for our Friday D Tour is taking a look at the impact of Deshaun Elliott and why his presence and his inclusion in the defense I think ultimately will take this defense where it wants to go. When they get Jalen Ramsey back, that obviously, clearly, very clearly changes things, right, And I think you could look at this one of two ways. You could say the statement I'm about to make is that I think this defense is constructed to have Jalen Ramsey in order to operate at its best. And you could say, well, hey, don't put together a d defense that relies upon a twenty nine year old cornerback staying healthy. If you don't have him, you're not going to be anywhere near the same. But also, that guy's been pretty durable his entire career. He's one of the best players in the National Football League. Why not construct your scheme around your best player the way you do an offense around your quarterback?
Speaker 6: Right makes sense.
Speaker 3: But what I'm here to tell you is that Javon Holland has taken on some of that responsibility in terms of varied zone looks and different responsibilities that kind of see him scavenge the entire defensive backfield and even the second level of the defense to hunt for opportunities to make plays. And when they get Ramsey back, I believe they will have the ability the capability of doing that to either side. And why is that because they have a center field safety that they didn't have last year or really any of the prior years going back to when three coaches ago. You know what I'm saying, before twenty nineteen, and yeah, they did have one guy, but he was Javon Holland, and so you limited the ability for number eight to play make because they didn't have the range the guy that could keep the cap on top of the defense, the sheer tackler on the back end. And as much as I love Brandon Jones and think that he has a very specific role that can be accentuated in a National Football League defense, I don't think one.
Speaker 6: Of those roles is playing center field safety.
Speaker 3: And so when you had that combination, Holland was a little more geared towards getting away from the football playing that deep center field position on the field, and that's just not gonna create many opportunities to make plays because go back to what Lance Zerline, the great scout for NFL dot Com, always says his least favorite position to scout in college is safety because you have to watch the entire game tape, and the chances are when you have a post safety you're gonna wind up seeing maybe eight plays where that player was an impact in the game. But you have to have it because if it's one play that they break, you have to make that play on the back end to prevent a long touchdown. A lah wasn't a touchdown, but the long Latavious Murray touchdown or the long Latavious Murray play in the Buffalo game not good tackling in the third level and it goes for a thirty four whatever yard game. It was to set the Bills up to score one of their many many touchdowns in that game. And of course, without Deshaun Elliott in that game, you allowed a season high forty eight points. And I thought Deshaun Elliott's worst game was the opener against the Chargers and we allowed thirty four points.
Speaker 6: But since he's.
Speaker 3: Been back and playing at a high level, seventeen twenty and sixteen points allowed and technically nine points allowed last week. When you take out the factor of the defense for the Giants scoring a touchdown. So the entire Friday detour here is to tell you that Deshaun Elliott's presence and his growth and his maturity and everything he offers in the back end will accentuate what this defense can do for me disguise from an execution standpoint with number eight alongside him. But when number five gets back, that is when the fireworks begin. So let's go ahead and hear from Vic Fangio on how he's seen Deshaun Elliott develop and grow and his knowledge of the defense now that he has five games, or rather four games under his belt, but five games for the team.
Speaker 6: Here's coach Fangio.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I agree with that. I think he's, you know, played played well here of late. I think he's improved from week to week, which is what you would expect and hope for. I think he's very diligent in his preparation, takes a lot of pride in his performance, and it's reflecting that he's been improving.
Speaker 3: Kind Of funny when you can leave a SoundBite in for a SoundBite where coach says that he agrees with what you just said, so kind of plays off of my entire Friday detour that Deshaun Elliott could be the key to unlocking this defense's ability to ballhawk and playmake. But the reason he said I agre is because I told him I talked to de Shaun Elliott in the locker room and he told me that he feels he now has a better understanding of the defense and what he's asked to do. So Fangio agrees. Let's go ahead and roll that interview here with the Shawn Elliott. We're gonna start talking about the Dolphins Challenge Cancer Heavy Hitters event that occurred earlier this week. That was the theme of these three chats I had in the locker room, but with the Shawn, I didn't want to bypass the opportunity to talk about this because it was where I wanted to go with the detour today. So here's Deshaun Elliott talking about both the DCC Heavy Hitters event but also his presence in the defense and kind of what the role that he sees himself playing here and really good selfless, good teammate stuff here from the Dolphins safety to Seawan Elliott. The first thing I want to start with is you were at the DCC Heavy Here's event last night?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 10: How was that?
Speaker 11: It was amazing? My first event playing for the Dolphins, So I felt like it.
Speaker 4: Was some guy needs to go to just because.
Speaker 11: Like I heard about mister Dinkins what happened to him last year, So that nothing why I went, and knowing that JP was the president of it is also realis out with being able to go there and mingle and talk people that I've never met before and just like making connections.
Speaker 4: It's really cool, had great food, might.
Speaker 11: A laughing So I think I think it was great. I will will again if I read you a chance to go again.
Speaker 6: Do you think to ride next.
Speaker 11: Year about what ride? Yea God blesses me to be here another year. I definitely ride.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how far did they keep?
Speaker 4: Ji Bro tell me it was like thirty five miles. I'm not doing better.
Speaker 11: My peloton a most I've done this quote. So if I'm doing one peloton with the Florida Son, I'm probably probably gonna do six.
Speaker 3: In real life, it goes my pretty fast, pretty quick.
Speaker 6: Uh So, what was the event all about? Like just kind of mingling with with fans and people have.
Speaker 4: Been connected by Yeah, I mingle with fans.
Speaker 11: It's kind of like me people who have some type of hand in the organization.
Speaker 4: And it's meaning so different people who you wouldn't even think I had to hand in an organization.
Speaker 5: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: It's like white people by our lives.
Speaker 11: Someone's really loved the Dolphins and just being able to just to set out of your comforign.
Speaker 6: So with the top plunder music event in the National football.
Speaker 4: That I heard, yeah cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well pivot to football.
Speaker 6: Now if you don't mind.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 6: I think last time I spoke to he was training camp. We did a little one on one and he talked about getting more and.
Speaker 3: More comfortable of defense. Yeah, I just kinda want to get a progress report on that. Five weeks into the season, you've played a few games. Now, how do you think you're coming along with just knowledge and communication and defense.
Speaker 11: I think that I'm trying to get the ins and outsid of defense. I think that overall we can do better. Given with myself, it's like working together as all eleven sometimes if maybe we're out there playing at the eight men, playing as nine and mostly bring out a way to play all as eleven, I think we can be in the league defense. I think that it's gonna take a little while, but we're all eager.
Speaker 4: To get it done right now.
Speaker 11: You know, our offense is being known as being a highly tied them more offense in NFL, and we haven't made.
Speaker 4: That much noise.
Speaker 11: But I think that as the season goes on, I think we can keep up with them, going to get our name out there too as well. We just got to keep doing what we want to do through our hands down make plays.
Speaker 3: Have you played this much center field or half field safety in your career? Really showing your range this season.
Speaker 4: I did my.
Speaker 11: Third year, my first year starting for the Ravens, I did which was different from me, But I think now it is different because I know a lot more ball, so I.
Speaker 4: Can get to certain places, but.
Speaker 11: I have certain momentations I know I have, and I can get certain places that I couldn't do when I was younger, when I was more physically gifted.
Speaker 4: Than I am now.
Speaker 11: But I think now it's a lot more easier, just because seeing schemes whatnot, knowing what the offense is gonna run if you're gonna get at the right time, and also just playing off a ball like he as me a lots on communication on my back end really improving, so that feels good.
Speaker 3: It seems like and this is going back to last year's tape which you probably don't even haven't probably seen, but it seems like Jabond's and more positions to be around the football because last year was playing so much twenty yard post. Yeah, do you kind of take a lot of pride in being the guy that can freak him up to do that stuff.
Speaker 11: I would do whatever the defensive coordinator wants me to do. And I told myself I first got here, Yeah, I'm bus spencing the.
Speaker 4: Game of my love.
Speaker 11: And yes I want to get paid, but I also want to make sure Jamon Howell gets good, gets to notoriety needs and get some money there. I feel like he deserves and that means I gotta do whatever he's not doing.
Speaker 4: I'm okay with it. I'm down to do whatever.
Speaker 6: So my predictions, you guys get a couple of picks this weekend.
Speaker 4: We need you.
Speaker 11: We were in a negative last week, so I think we need at least two picks this week.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna get him? God bless us. I hope he's mean.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you, man than it's good stuff. I said it was gonna be Javaon and Cater.
Speaker 3: I would love to see it be DeShawn, especially after I propped him up like that. Let's go ahead and hear from two more guys on attending d c C heavy hitters. It was Emmanual Ogba and Cedric Wilson. Let's go ahead and start with the massively tall Emmanual Ogba.
Speaker 6: I wanted to ask you about the event. How how was how was it? And uh did you learn anything to do anything?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, the event was awesome. It was amazing.
Speaker 12: On just to see how many you know donors donated to the I think.
Speaker 5: It was like ten point four millions.
Speaker 12: I know, I know, it's it was crazy just to see you know, all the donors us have met a lot of diehard fans. I met the lady named Lisa. I believe that's my man.
Speaker 5: I met your name.
Speaker 6: She's a big fan of traftime podcast much.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, so yeah, she's awesome.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: I did tell her I was going to say a hot wave to her coming out to a tunnel next home game. But it was awesome me and all those great people, and you know, it's all the money went to. It's going to a great cause then, and I appreciate you know, the invites to go witness, you know, the.
Speaker 5: Donuts being there.
Speaker 6: Why is that so important to you?
Speaker 12: It's important to me because I know my dad had posstay cancer, so I know he beat it, but you know, just to bring awareness into cancer. You know, they're helping you know, cancer patient. Also, the the ride, you know, the my ride or is it a one hundred miles?
Speaker 3: So Deshaun said he like six with his Max said, was telling me thirty five on.
Speaker 6: Be like powered by. That's like basically cheating.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: No, I did make some promises knowing that I was going to do thirty five everything.
Speaker 6: That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so but now it's just awesome me and all those people.
Speaker 6: Did you grow a chance to meet mister Jenkins Jason Jenkins?
Speaker 12: Of course I met him a couple of times, you know, RP time. But it was a great dude from Houston. Yeah, so it was. It was awesome me and him. But you know, you know, his dream got to live on. You know, you got to keep helping put out your dreams.
Speaker 3: So his wife Liz the chair, now, right, was it pretty empowering seeing her bee?
Speaker 5: So yeah, was definitely.
Speaker 12: She got on stage, I know she was, she was a little nervous, but she got on stage, you know, present the award to like the top donors and all that.
Speaker 5: That was awesome to see her to step up and do stalk like that.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you, man, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank big shout out there to Lisa Siegel, a big fan of the Drive Time podcast and of her Miami Dolphins. If you don't know who she is, you're probably not paying attention on social media. One of our greatest fans and biggest supporters. Lisa, You're the best. Appreciate you and the players do as well. Let's go ahead and hear from wide receiver Cedrick Wilson Junior, who also attended the event and talked a little bit about the expectations of the bike ride.
Speaker 6: Come March first, stop by and ask you like about the event?
Speaker 11: How was it?
Speaker 6: What did you guys do there?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 10: It was It was a smooth, nice event, a set up. I'm pretty sure I didn't know really much about it until I didn't find out about toil last minute, but I guess they were showing the new where DCC would be holding their new area for the F one event, and just having all the donors in there.
Speaker 5: It was a pretty nice.
Speaker 4: Turnout, a lot more, a lot more people than.
Speaker 10: I saw at the event last year, and then I mean most of a lot of familiar faces because I did the bike ride, So that was that was nice to see those people again because I haven't seen them since the bike ride, and just it kind of like takes your mind away from just pure football and puts your mind towards like what the rest of the world's problem has going on, and just a little small things that we can do to help.
Speaker 3: Missing a crackback block now so important when you got other pickres coming on like that, right.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, crack back blocks are easy compared to what.
Speaker 4: Some people were battling.
Speaker 6: How hard you ride?
Speaker 11: Last year?
Speaker 5: I did the what's the levels?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: I think I did it? Thirty five? I think I.
Speaker 10: Think I did thirty five. I kind of I did it more so with enjoyment. It was because I had the electric bike. I had the Yeah, I'm not really a big bike rider, so I don't think I could have pulled it off like some of the guys like JP.
Speaker 5: I'm not as one hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he does one hundred.
Speaker 6: I think it is he does a real bike.
Speaker 4: I think I don't. I don't don't think I can do that.
Speaker 3: That's a different level of condition that you really can't get, like on a football field, right on the bike.
Speaker 10: To get that type of condition, yeah, you have to ride the bike to be able to do that.
Speaker 4: And I'm definitely not a bike rider like that.
Speaker 3: Everyone has a connection to cancer in some way. Do you have something like that, a story that's personal to you about cancer?
Speaker 10: I don't necessarily, but I mean I did have a.
Speaker 5: Previous college teammate that passed.
Speaker 4: Away that at a younger age.
Speaker 10: I think he was only like row around my age like twenty seven in that past. But so that was probably the closest connection that I have. But I know a lot of my teammates in the past, teammates.
Speaker 4: That they battle with it.
Speaker 10: So I mean, it's just like it's just like I'm going through one of my brothers is going through it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's I appreciate it, man, No, no problem. The whole locker room setting is funny.
Speaker 3: Man Like, it feels like it's unapproachable, but then I get to the guys and talk to him and they're always so great with me. So I hope to get more audio on the podcast as we go along. It's my favorite part I think of putting the podcast together is talking to the guys one on one. So there you go, Cedric Wilson, Emanuel Ogbad, Deshaun Elliott, thank you to all those guys. And if you haven't registered yet or given you a donation to one of your favorite riders at DCC, go ahead and do that because it's such a fun evet and really the thing that we pride ourselves on most down here in South Florida. You also support the membery of Jason Jenkins and of course his wife Liz Jenkins, who is now on the chair of the DCC. So good stuff there all around. Let's go beat the Panthers on Sunday. Let's go ahead and get out of here, and I'll come back with you guys on Sunday night to recap that game. And then we have a primetime game the following week, so late night next weekend. Let's enjoy these one o'clock kickoffs while we got them. Let's get out of here. You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts from.
Speaker 6: Leave us a rating, leave us a review.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on social at Winfield, NFL, the team of course at Miami Dolphins. Check out Seth and Juice of the Fish Tank podcast. Check out the YouTube channel for Media Availabilities Dolphins Today, and there's gonna be a two a tongue of Ilo a breakdown video. I hope that it's good. After the edit, we'll see and then of course Miami Dolphins dot com until next time. Finn's up, Caroline and Cameron, Daddy's coming home, Bert Chreischer, and let's go