Speaker 1: Hello there from Avilius. Lovely morning here in Lithuania. And we should note there are Ukrainian flags everywhere in this city, a city that has completely turned out and show solidarity with the war effort, the resistance against Russia. Of course, here in a former Soviet state in the Baltics.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: And I'm standing in George W. Bush Plaza, named after the former president because he gave a speech here in two thousand and two in which he urged Lithuania to be admitted to NATO. And NATO transformed then and it has done so again now.
Speaker 3: So goes on to make the point that he is about three miles from the Belarusian border, like one hundred miles from Russia, right next to Ukraine. All the world leaders there are within striking distance of a war. I guess that's not a concern.
Speaker 2: Apparently not that would absolutely usher US into World War three.
Speaker 3: Sure, respect, Sure, but it was seen as a big deal when various leaders were going to Kiev. I just I was surprised they're all gathering right there in the corner.
Speaker 2: So many things to discuss with Mike Allions, who served the United States military and a variety of capacities in a variety of places now respected military analysts for CNN, among others. Mike, how are you, sir.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning guys. Great to be back with you.
Speaker 2: I've been following your Twitter feed and we know your neck of the woods has been affected by the horrendous rainfalls in the northeast. How's everybody doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, West Point underwater on the town outside Highland Falls. The same roads are out. Actually I can't get up there right now. There's no way nine W. The main artery into the academy is shut down, both from the north side and the south side the town. So it's pretty devastating. Hopefully the Army Corp of Engineers is moving quickly to try to restore services there. Out of the building I work in is un habitable right now. It was flooded in the floor, so you got mold. All kinds of things are going to happen. So yeah, once in a thousand year storm, they're saying it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of powerful forces, mother nature is unmatched. Let's talk about the situation in Ukraine. We talked a little bit about your opinion on cluster munitions yesterday. We know you're in favor of Ukraine using them.
Speaker 4: Why Yeah, First of all, let's set the law of land warfare dictate, and that should be the litmus test for this right. I mean, the legality of the situation. Number one, it's a military necessity. Right now, Ukraine is trying to do a counter offensive without air superiority, which is foolhardy in some ways to begin with. And you can even say it's not even a counter offensive, it's just trying to figure out some probing operations anyway. At the bottom line is they're running out of ammunition, so they need more ammunition. We've knew this eight months ago that eventually they would run out of ammunition because we can't resupply them at the pace that they're using it. We don't have enough of material on our side, and we don't have enough reserves. And that that was the no known that they were going to run out of animals. So that's number one as a necessity to use these rounds. Number two, proportionality. They are proportional in that Russia's use them already. They've used them on civilian targets, they've used them on things they shouldn't be But this is not going to be a game changer, it's not going to allow them a tremendous advantage, and they're going to use them in a way. On the third thing, civilian or military targets only, there's going to be a distinction between combatants and non combatants. And so again, if you use those three tests of the law of land warfare, you know Russia has failed all three. Russia, you know, uses them without necessity, has fired him on civilians, and doesn't use them in proportionality. But Ukraine's going to do that. I think legally they have a case that they they should use them.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people were hoping the Ukrainians would make some big advances once the Wagner Group had to pull out, since that was Russia's best fighting for us. Why does that not happen?
Speaker 4: Right? So they're not twenty five thousand men as you could see now too. I never thought they were going to just disappear or be part of thee the Russian military. Ladimir Putin is not giving up on the Wagner Group. They're earners. They you know, Progosians an earner. He earns it not only in Ukraine, he earns it in Africa and rare earth minerals and all the things going on, so that you know, we're surprised that you know, he's meeting with Vladimir Putin. Progosion is no, we shouldn't be surprised because he's not going to get rid of them. The bottom line is Russia still out guns Ukraine artillery almost ten to one on the front. They've had six months to dig in, they have more AMMO, they can throw an endless number of resources at this. You know, it was a lot of hope that some counter offense would be able to break through. The only place that would really matter is in the south, and Russia blows that last bridge, that last dam, that floods in the entire area that definitely that narrow is now the avenues of approach there. So they're going to march into these kill zones. Now. They could wait another eight to ten weeks when the native equipment arrives, because right now Ukraine crew survivability is so important, and the equipment coming from nat it would still not there yet will be there and they'll have a little bit more of a chance. But Russia still owns the air space, they still own a lot of different things they need attack thems. They need deep strike missile capability, they need air defense artillery in order for them to have any success. To think they're going to have success with this counter.
Speaker 2: Offensive, anticipate in my next question, do we have any idea of the timetable, Say Abrams tanks or F sixteen's being brought.
Speaker 4: To Bear September and the crews are still being trained on them, and just because you know, what they'll do is they'll allow the crews to survive more. The question is whether they're still going to be able to fight with them. They're they're complex systems. I mean, in some ways, the catillacts what the gunner uses to hit targets with is believe it or not, is designed after It's kind a video game, and it's a lot of things to kind of go into that from a simulation perspective, But they are They are big, heavy pieces of equipment that have long logistical supply chains to them. They get like, you know, eight gallons to the mile that you know, there's a lot of things that go in. It's that it's not just these tanks showing up. It's going to be the support that's gonna that's going to that's going to keep them running. They're not getting F sixteen. They're not seeing any kind of air superior already happening within the next year or so. But but again, September would they'd be lucky, And that's the time that I thought they were going to go on this counter offensive. It looks like they had to do this politically. They looked like they had to do something right before the NATO summit to show that they were doing it. But I'm afraid that they're just throwing, unfortunately, Ukraine soldiers into that meat grinder that Russia was doing eight months ago.
Speaker 3: So the NATO leaders, as you mentioned, the NATO summit are meeting there just a couple of miles from the border there with you know, an opponent of NATO. How big a deal is Sweden joining NATO?
Speaker 4: Yeah, big in both of them and Finland because of their neutrality for the past you know, seventy plus years, and more than that, this has drawn NATO together, I think, and NATO has never been as united as of right now. I'm glad at least we're not allowing Ukraine into NATO. I think we've talked about this before. I've never been a fan of all these countries joining NATO. We can't have the membership of NATO to be everybody but Russia, because that's how the First World War started. But that's where we're at right now, and I think that there'll be a path if Ukraine continues to smash the Russian military in place and hold its own, you know, four or five years from now, they're going to have a case that they're going to want to be in NATO. Depends on what Russia looks like at that point. But we also can't put in NATO a country that has a border dispute with a country like Russia, because then that triggers, you know, Article five, and next thing you know, we're at World War three.
Speaker 2: I was reading coverage in the Wall Street Journal about that very question, and they were writing that the European powers seem to be in favor of a fairly direct paths to membership. For you, I heard Macrone in France said, Hey, Ukraine's the best military in Europe right now, so why not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the one of the largest, I think after Turkey, they're the third largest or whatever in Europe at this point. And that's that's kind of at some point that we have to watch that as well, to make sure that they don't get too powerful. As again, as we just look at history as the course, but you're going to see other countries eventually start to puke over this, like Germany, for example. Germany at the end of the day wants everything to go back to February twenty twenty two, twenty twenty two. They want this whole thing to be over. They want to wake up like a bad dream, and they want to get cheap you know oil again. They don't They're not interested in making Russia angry. So I think that people are talking a good game right now. Germany has talked a good game in some ways. But when push comes to shove, putting you know, Ukraine into NATO is going to be a really, really big deal. I mean that they should only agree to that if we don't believe Russia is the threat that it currently could be, and as long as they have nuclear weapons, that might never be the case.
Speaker 2: We're talking to military analysts, Mike Lyons, Mike, we can't let you go without asking you about recruiting in the United States military was just reading yet another report saying that other than the Marines, everybody's falling miserably short, and everybody's trying to understand why. Any thoughts on.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, I think I think it is two things. I do think. Number one, that those of us in the military are stopping no longer sending our children into the military. I mean, my son's in the Navy, and I'm glad he's serving, But I talked to more and more of my peers that were in the military and their children are not going. And it was very much a family business. So that's there's no question that that's impacting it. And the second thing is that the bar remains very high to get into the military. I mean, if the the amount of information on an individual that is in their country right now, for example, any kind of drugs, any kind of drug use, any kind of ADHD medication is disquality, So.
Speaker 3: They're going to eliminate a lot of people.
Speaker 4: There exactly, aside from overweight, aside from not being in shape. There's all there's. So the poll is shrinking all the time. I think it's a national security issue on some level. But you know, and and it did something did happen, a lot of those restrictions might go away, So they still might go in and they did, they did drop the restrictions during combat times. It's called a category four. It's just a high risk recruiter that that the military doesn't look let in. That's because the Army does a pretty good job of knowing who is and isn't going to succeed in the army, right because we've been recruiting people for a hundre, you know, two hundred years, so they know they have pretty good data as to what a person is going to do inside the military. You know, there it's different. It's a different world, but it's a different life. But but you know, I'm still seeing I've got a young man that I've been working with last year. He just finished up basic training. He's on his way to Airborne school and Special Force of school. So it's still you know, the bar is pretty high still, which I think is good. And I think our army today is still better than it was twenty years ago, better than it was when I was in. So you know, full steam ahead.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of good reasons for tradition and not being you know, flitting from one trend to another, and I'm glad the US military is that way. But do you see signs that they are adapting to the modern young person in the modern world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have done that before. Back if you look remember twenty years ago, there was this recruiting campaign called the Army of One. And back then when we were in we were all shaking our heads, going, well, the army is the last thing. The army is is an army of one. And that lasted about five minutes and then everyone realized that that's just not a good message because then they got into the army and realized it was no army of one. But I think they do have to stay current with social media and all the forces that act on them, but they still have to hold the line with regard to of the primary mission of the US military is fighting to win the nation's wars. Period. It's not to create diversity, it's not to force feed social changes into the military, which is you can easily do because of the government control over it. The bottom line is the military exists to win the nation's wars, and if we can't do that, then then we'll fall short and we will let our country down.
Speaker 2: Mike Lyons always pleasure. Thanks so much for the time, Mike, great, thanks
Speaker 4: For having me