Speaker 1: You're listening to part Time Genius, the production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. Guess what Will?
Speaker 2: What's that Mango?
Speaker 1: So I just found out that the first surprise parties had nothing to do with birthdays or parties.
Speaker 2: I don't really understand what any of this means, but go ahead and explain, please.
Speaker 1: So apparently the earliest use of the term surprise party was in an eighteen forty novel by Irish writer Charles lever And a surprise party was a squad of soldiers lying in wait and engaged in a sneak attack. But what's interesting is that, as weird as it might seem for surprise parties to have this, you know, military origin, it actually kind of makes sense. The word surprise is direc from this old French verb suprendre, which means to seize or to invade. So from the very beginning the word surprise had this military context, and that actually carried over to English in the fourteenth century.
Speaker 2: Well I'm curious, so when does the meaning change to more of what we think of as a surprise, like something more more pleasant.
Speaker 1: So that doesn't emerge until about one hundred years later. Before that, the word was used almost exclusively to refer to an unexpected attack on troops. In fact, it would have been redundant to call something a surprise attack, because back then every surprise was an attack.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, though, that's kind of how I feel about surprise parties today.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you're joking, but there are definitely people who hate surprise parties, and there's actually a scientific reason for that. The momentary shock from a surprise triggers the release of a stress response hormone. It's called nora adrenaline, and this is part of the body's fight or flight response. So your heart ray and blood pressure go up whether brain focuses on assessing the threat. So when someone comes at you in a dark room with a dozen flaming sticks, your brain and your body can't help but go on the defensive. But thinking about surprise parties made me wonder about all the other things associated with parties, like why do we blow out birthday candles? Whose idea was it to throw confetti everywhere? And why do people like glitter? So those are just a few of the questions we're tackling today. Strap on your party hat because we're about to dive in.
Speaker 2: Hey their podcast listeners, Welcome to Part Time Genius. I'm Will Pearson and as always I'm joined by my good friend Mangesh how Ticketer and on the other side of that soundproof glass slicing off a nice fat piece of cake for himself. I'm glad he's rewarding himself today. That is our friend producer for real. That's Dylan Fagan. Now he very kindly brought this in for today's show. But I do want to clarify something up front. Even though it looks like a birthday cake with a lot of candles, today isn't one of our birthdays.
Speaker 1: I know who's supposed to blow those things out. I mean, I guess Dylan, because he's only one back there in the booth. But I do want to point out how thoughtful Dylan is. He set out slices for each of us before digging in for himself, because that's the kind of guy he is. But I am curious, why are there candles on this thing?
Speaker 2: I thought maybe it was just because he's a huge fan of surprise parties. You were talking about surprises at the top of the show. I think we forgot to mention by the way one of the greatest sketches or recurring sketches of all time on SNL, where Christen Wig plays the ant that just can't handle the excitement of all these surprises. It's pretty great, but oh yeah, it's pretty yeah. It's just such a such a such a such a good good care there. But you know, typically the easiest way to tell cake cake from birthday cake is to check if the cake is on fire or not. And in Dylan's defense, adorning a cake with candles on it isn't just a birthday thing. In fact, the tradition is thought to have started back in ancient Greece. It was a tribute to Artemis, who was the goddess of fertility and hunting. Now she was closely associated with the moon as well, so her followers would bait round cakes in her honor, and then they would decorate them with lit candles, sort of to mimic the glow of the full moon. I'd never thought about that before, but it makes sense. So while the first candles on a cake were still celebratory and still a present, they weren't really connected to birthdays like they are today.
Speaker 1: And so what do the Greeks do in that non birthday scenario, like, did they blow off the candles or did they just let them burn down like we're doing here.
Speaker 2: Well, nobody knows for certain. They may have just handled it on a cake by cake basis. But it's worth noting that many ancient cultures believe that smoke could carry their prayers to the gods, which is kind of a nice idea. That was the whole idea behind burnt offerings in Some historians think that the modern tradition of making a wish when you blow out the birthday candles may have developed from that same belief. You think about blowing out the candles the smoke rising up to the gods, like, it's an interesting idea, that's really fascinating.
Speaker 1: And I know this is a ridiculous question and we probably don't have an answer to it, but do we have to know who the first person was to put candles on a cake specifically for a birthday?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know about the very first person, but one of the earliest and the most well known was the German nobleman, Count Ludwig Vaughan Zisendorf, which is such a great name now thanks to the contemporary account of author Andreas Frye. We know that the Count pulled out all the stops for his birthday back in seventeen forty six. He bought in wagonloads of decorations and set up special lighting all throughout his hull. But the most impressive part of the celebration had to be the dessert, because according to fry I quote, there was a cake as large as any oven could be found to bake it, and holes made in the cake according to the years of the person's age, everyone having a candle stuck into it and won in the middle. So it was a big cake. Now, I was considerate enough not to mention the count's age, but a little quick math does tell us he would have turned forty six that year, so that means, counting the one in the middle, there were forty seven candles on his birthday cake, which explains why they would have had to make it so massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess they hadn't invented number shaped candles yet, right right right.
Speaker 2: That took a lot of technology to get this.
Speaker 1: But I am curious, like what was the deal with the candle in the middle, Like was that just so one to grow on? Kind of thing?
Speaker 2: I haven't heard that term one to grow on. So that's why I mean, I guess pretty much most sources I found say that the center candle symbolize the light of life and the hope for another good year and a year of good health. Now, of course, Count Zinzendorff didn't come up with the candle tradition himself. Well, the account of his party maybe the earliest known. There was written record of birthday cake candles, and plenty of German families who were also known to celebrate the candles during Kinderfest, which was a child's birthday celebration. And those cases, though, the candle practice worked a little bit differently than what we are used to today. So rather than blowing out the candles right away, German families lit them in the morning and they kept them burning all the way down until dinnertime, and if any of the candles happened to burn out before it was time to cut the cake, a vigilant family member would swoop in to replace it with a fresh one.
Speaker 1: That is incredible, but also like why I mean, if they were burning through a whole day's worth of candles, then the cag had to be covered in wax by the time they finally went to eat it, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm pretty sure it would taste pretty disgusting since most candles were made from rendered animal fat at the time. But you know, many Germans at the time believed that children were especially vulnerable to spiritual attacks on their birthdays, and so making sure the candles on the kid's cakes stayed lit was was really this sort of symbolic way to protect them from an evil influence, and for most parents, the peace of mind was more important than coating your cake and wax.
Speaker 1: It's pretty wild to see just how many of our birthday traditions have grown out of like these old religious customs and decisions. I mean, it's a similar story with those plastic noise makers that people had out at parties. They actually have their roots in pre Christian Europe, when people believe that evil spirits targeted you on your birthday, so all your friends and relatives were supposed to make a bunch of noise to scare them off and protect you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's funny that you can walk around places like party City and just see a whole bunch of things that have roots and ancient rituals. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's pretty interesting, but now that you measure it, there's at least one party staple with a much more modern origin story involves a New Jersey cattle rancher, a precision cutting machine, and a whole boatload of schnibbles.
Speaker 2: I love it when you have a tease like that where I have no idea what you're talking about, but you know what, let's take a quick break. I'm going to try to figure it out, and then when we come back, you can bring me up to speed.
Speaker 1: You're listening to part Time Genius and we're celebrating the strange science and hidden histories behind the world's favorite party supply. So will what's the worst party you've been to? Or like something you hate to see at parties? Clowns, magicians.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest with you, Mango, I love it when clowns and magicians are at parties because they make people sort of uncomfortable to anybody that's bold enough to like dress up as a clown or do the magician thing, just given all how they are always the punchline of jokes like I love that bravery, that boldness, just the weirdness of it all. So I'm going in a different direction. I'm actually saying I really like it at parties when people have the things that people tend to hate the most.
Speaker 1: Anyway, what about you, Well, we went to something that was teased to me as a party, and then it was the startup thing and we showed up and then they put us all on computers and we had to do all these reviews of things that we had not intended to do, and I was so angry, Like I didn't want to sit there and review restaurants and cafes just to get into the small apartment where I could get a drink. That's ridiculous, annoying. But another thing I really hate about parties is glitter, and whether it's on decorations or banners or party hats, I hate how it's impossible to find and clean off, mostly because of static cling. And is that why glitter sticks to everything? Because that actually, you know what, Mango, I'm going to go back to your previous question.
Speaker 2: Parties with lots of glitter. That is one of the things I'm not a fan of. I know the kids love it, but it sticks to everything. But anyway, I thought it might have a little light adhesive on it. But what is the reason here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so most glitter is actually made of bits of plastic covered and a layer of aluminum, and because that metal coating is negatively charged, it forms a powerful bond when it comes into contact with anything that's positively charged. So that could be something like human skin. But that's not to say that static electricity is the only reason why glitter is so sticky. It could be things like air viscosity. Also like surface tension if you're thinking about like trying to remove glitter from a flat surface or a wet surface, like that's part of the reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is pretty interesting. But I sometimes wonder why glitter is still a thing because other than my daughter who just loves it and wants it to be involved in every dinner much less party, I feel like it's a thing we should be over by. Now what do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it is sparkly, and if history as taught as anything, it's that humans are big fans of bright, shiny objects, and this actually that might not be such a bad thing. I remember this study from a while back. There were these researchers who rowed up a big group of toddlers and infants and then monitored their enthusiasm for licking different kinds of plates, and apparently the babies were far more attracted to plates with glossy surfaces than they were the ones with matt finishes.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sort of in the same camp. If something super shiny like that, I sort of get the impulse. But what did that prove? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta lick it because late licking parties can be fun, is what it proved.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and put that also on the list of things I don't want to happen at parties.
Speaker 1: It also suggests that humans are innately drawn to shiny, glistening objects, and it's not because we think they're pretty, but because they mimic the reflective sheen of fresh water. So, millions of years ago, the drive to seek out clean water helped keep our ancestors alive, and thanks to evolution, that same instinct is alive and well in this plate licking baby experiment today.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I see, So being dazzled by glitter just sort of means maybe you're thirsty.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, thirsty for sparkle. But what's kind of fascinating is that glitter wasn't invented until the nineteen thirties, and even then it was only by accident.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you were hitting about this earlier, something about New Jersey and New Jersey farmer, I guess, and a bunch of snubbles.
Speaker 1: What was the word you said, snibbles? It's actually an industry term for the leftover bits of paper, plastic, or fabric that result from manufacturing. And as for the Jersey farmer, he was a cattle rancher who had turned into an inventor. His name was Henry Ruschmann. In the nineteen thirties, he created a precision cutting machine to neatly trim developed glossy photos, but sometimes it malfunctioned and it cut the prints into tiny, useless pieces. Now, Rischmand threw out the schnibbles at first, but after noticing how pretty they were when they caught light, he built a new machine to purposely produce them from plastic scrap, and in their early forties he began marketing glitter for use in craft projects and holiday decorations. And while it was only supposed to be a side business at first, like a little extra income to help support his day operation slinging. All this glitter turned out to be way more lucrative than his other work, and that was due in part to the material shortages during World War Two. At Christmas time in nineteen forty two, Americans were encouraged to spare their candles, and it was encouraged that people use glitter to brighten their homes for the holidays.
Speaker 2: It's so funny to think it's something as unnecessary as glitter, you know, starting out is really like a wartime need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was such a strangely specific idea that Riuschman's company, they're called Meadowbrook Inventions, it pretty much had a monopoly on glitter for decades. In fact, all these years later, Meadowbrook is still one of only two glitter manufacturers in the world, and the other one is called glitter X, and weirdly, it is also based in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly god a shock that the market for glitter is big enough to sustain two separate companies. I mean, these are microplastics, after all. You would think a single factory could just crank out all the need that's out there.
Speaker 1: I mean, glitter isn't just used for crafting and party supplies. It gets mixed into all kinds of consumer products that we don't think about, so it's everything from like nail polish to NFL helmets. There are even a few scientific applications too. For instance, this is amazing. Zookeepers and animal researchers will sometimes add glitter to animal feed so that they can tell one animal's fecal sample from another, which is just not fu real. So another thing to keep in mind is that we actually don't know what the industry's biggest client is doing with all their glitter and what does that mean. So you remember our pal Katie Weaver. She wrote this amazing piece for The New York Times a few years ago where she interviewed someone like glitter X about how glitter is made, and at one point she asks what the company's biggest market is, but the spokeswoman refuses to answer. She just laughs and says, you would never guess it. Just leave it at that, because they don't want anyone to know that it's glitter.
Speaker 2: Is such a cryptic response, like shouldn't she have just said like party hats or something. There's surely somebody who's figured out what the reason is right.
Speaker 1: So apparently there's a ton of online debate about this. So far, no one's come off with any solid evidence. But for this glitter conspiracy, some people think it's used in toothpaste. Others say it's mixed into sand on luxury beaches, both of which would of course be horrible news for our bodies in the world's oceans. But those are really just guesses because big glitter is not tellent.
Speaker 2: Big glitter, well, whatever it is, it's going to be with us for a good long while because I read it takes one thousand years for glitter to degrade. A thousand years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is why I wear team candles.
Speaker 2: Here at Partime View, we most definitely are. Now that said, if you're interested in engineering a festive atmosphere by throwing colorful little bits around, there's a much more environmentally friendly way to do it, and we're going to discuss that right after this break. Welcome back to part Time Genius. All right, Mango, So we talked a little bit about some party traditions that have their roots in antiquity, and it turns out we can add confetti to that list as well. Now, humans have a long colorful history of tossing around small objects at celebrations, and while shredded paper is the material of choice today, the ancient Greeks went for a much greener option. Actually, on special occasions like a soldier returning from war, an athlete winning a match, or a couple getting married, the public would celebrate by tossing around branches and leaves and garlands and just various other bits of plant matter.
Speaker 1: So they were just throwing plant matter in the air or were they throwing it at the people who are being honored?
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's kind of a free for all, like some people threw clippings over or onto the people being honored, and others through the greenery in front of them to be walked on. And historians aren't sure how the practice got started, but the best guess is that it evolved from gift get traditions, like you know, placing a laurel crown on the winner of a race or things like that, And you know, because an athlete might not want to stand around to be crowned by one hundred different people, so instead the crowd settled for throwing a gift and the winner's general direction.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got it, but these gifts were basically worthless, Like they weren't tossing flowers of fruit or anything useful. They were just throwing like branch clippings.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's true. I mean none of the greenery was ever collected or saved. It just all got trampled. But that's kind of why the practice can be thought of as a forerunner to throwing confetti, And both of these cases, it doesn't matter so much what's being thrown. It's the sheer volume of what you're throwing and the act of throwing, and that kind of makes the whole thing feel like a big party.
Speaker 1: Well obviously, like throwing bits of colorful paper are more like a fluria of flower pedals or something like that, But that feels so much better than geting smacked in the face with pine needles or tree branches like that doesn't seem like much of a party for those.
Speaker 2: I've been with you over that. I think anybody that thinks that is a party would be at that a little strange. But we are lucky though, that somebody finally thought to cut the plants into small throwable strips.
Speaker 1: And so when does that happen? Exactly? Like how old is modern confetti.
Speaker 2: Well, paper confetti only came about in the late nineteenth century, and prior to that many cultures had made the switch from throwing greenery at celebrations to throwing food stuffs. So the practice was especially popular at weddings, where guests would shower the newly weeds with handfuls of rice and raisins, nuts or even shortbread. And you think about more modern weddings, a lot of times you see things like rice being thrown as well as you know, couples exiting the wedding or things like that. But some cultures eventually applied the custom to other kinds of celebrations. You think about milestone birthdays, anniversaries, and in many cases the foods that were thrown were tasty enough for the guests to collect and eat them afterward. And in eighteenth century Italy they even adopted a special word for these small throwable treats, confetti, or translated little sweets.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. I never had any idea that the word meant something. And you know, it kind of feels like a tease now that you're just getting paper instead of sweets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird to think about, but confetti sprinkles are actually more in line with the original confetti. Yeah, like funfetti, Love some funfetti. It's probably one of my top ten cakes. You know, to make a good fun fetti cake. But Italy's take was a little more nuanced than that. So in the nineteenth century, Italian confetti consisted mostly of sugar glazed nuts or dried fruit seeds sugared almonds, and this was especially popular at the country's carnival.
Speaker 1: Parties, which sounds better in theory, but I also don't want to be pelted by like a bunch of sticky almonds.
Speaker 2: You're so picky about the things you want to be pelted with. But actually all joking aside, You're not alone because plenty of partygoers also complained that the candied nuts were too dangerous, and not only because it hurt to get hit with them, because kids would often crawl around in the busy streets to collect them and to make matters where some bad actors started making fake confetti and it looked like sugared almonds but in reality was just globs of hardened plastic. So carnival, I know, it's terrible. So carnival party goers were eventually fed up with being bruised by fake almonds, and so in the late eighteen hundreds, Italy retired edible confetti and brought in paper confetti to replace it. Now, aside from being far less bruising, paper confetti proved cheaper, easier to clean up, and better still, it wasn't something that children would run into the streets to pick up.
Speaker 1: And it's like a better visual spectacle, right, Like the paper hangs, it flutters and the air instead of just like thudding to the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's funny that you mentioned that, because confetti actually dazzled people and helped New York police keep the peace. Back in the early nineties, New Year's in Times Square was more like a drunken brawl than a party. But in nineteen ninety two the city tried to lighten things up by dumping a few thousand pounds of confetti on the ground.
Speaker 1: Thousand pounds and that works.
Speaker 2: And one spot they dropped it on one guy and it was just air, you know the scene you pictured, it flying everywhere, and the whole mood of the party actually shifted that night. And so every New Year since, most people in Times Square have been too dazzled to fight with each other. And it's interesting to imagine that scenario, but it kind of makes sense. But while we're talking about New York, we should probably talk about the city's own homegrown version of confetti, which is the ticker tape.
Speaker 1: You know, for some reason, I just assumed tickertape came from London. I didn't realize it was a New York convention.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Ticker tape made its debut in the eighteen sixties when the world's first stock ticker was unveiled at the New York Stock Exchange. The device could receive up to the minute stock prices over telegraph wires and then print them out almost in real time on these long, thin ribbons of paper tape. Both the machine and the paper were named for the distinctive tick tick tick sound that the type wheel made while printing.
Speaker 1: So tickertape kind of starts out as the opposite of confetti. Right. It wasn't party paper, it was business.
Speaker 2: Paper, that's exactly right. But that all changed a couple decades later. During the official opening of the Statue of Liberty in eighteen eighty six, there was this big celebration in Lower Manhattan with a parade starting at City Hall and ending at Battery Park with a clear view of the statue. Now, the use of ticker tape wasn't a plan part of the festivities, and the city's fledgling financial district wasn't even part of the route. But office workers didn't let that stop them from joining in the party. So when they heard the parade was passing a few streets over, some workers open their windows flung out the ribbons of used ticker tape that had been lying around the office, And when people and other buildings saw this, they started doing the same thing. It sort of sets off this chain reaction around the city. The flurry of ticker tape added such a festive touch to the proceedings that it soon became a fixture of New York parades. Although they're far less common today, the city has hosted more than two hundred ticker tape parades over the last century and a half. And although a few people realize that, there's even a monument in New York called the Canyon of Heroes that memorializes each ticker tape parade along with the people and the events that it was meant to celebrate. I never heard of That funniest part is that the ticker tape actually outlasted the stock ticker itself. The last mechanical models were released back in the early nineteen sixties, but ticker tape is still being tossed around all these years later.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. And speaking of things that are amazing, we should probably cap this party off. Get a little fact off. Here's another one of the lesser known uses of glitter solving a murder case. So back in the early two thousands, California forensic scientist Ed Jones helped solve the murder by matching the same red glitter found in a victim's hair to samples recovered from the suspect's vehicle. Apparently the killer had tried to clean his truck after the crime, but true to form, a few telltale pieces of glitter managed to sneak by him.
Speaker 2: You know, the one time when glitters stickiness actually comes in handy, Okay, I'll acknowledge that. All right, Well, here's a weird one I found out about confetti. Have you ever noticed that when confetti rains down after the World Series or some big event like that, the image quality on your TV takes a huge dip, it starts to look called choppy and the image kind of shutters. That's because the raw video has to be compressed for broadcast. But instead of reproducing every pixel that appears in a frame, compress files reuse some of the same information based on visual patterns, and that helps save space. So, for example, in a wide shot of a baseball field, the background information might be reused for multiple frames at a time, sort of frees up more data to focus on the players that are moving on the screen. Now, this reuse of pixels is subtle enough miss this in most cases, but confetti throws a wrench in things. It becomes much harder to predict the next frame when you suddenly have hundreds of tiny paper slips moving randomly through the shot, all at once. Now, in cases like that, the video has to consume more bits per second to keep up with the action, and the picture quality inevitably takes a big hit. So, even in the age of high speed streaming and ultra HDTVs, we still can't quite capture the full visual majesty of this low tech confetti storm. It's kind of wild.
Speaker 1: I've never even thought about that. So, speaking of technical things, have you ever wondered how crick candles work. I have. Yeah, So with regular candles, the force of your breath actually pushes the flame away from its fuel source, right, and it causes it to go out. But trick candles are manufactured with a small amount of magnesium inside their wicks. Now, the magnesium won't ignite when the candle is burning because the flame prevents oxygen from reaching it, and magnesium can't burn without oxygen. However, once the candle is blown out, oxygen immediately comes in contact with the magnesium and with a smoldering ember at the tip of the wick, and this causes the magnesium dust particles to ignite, creating tiny sparks that are hot enough to relight the candle. The chemical reaction can be repeated over and over until the magnesium supply is exhausted or until the birthday kit loses their patients, whichever happens first.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, speaking of birthday candles, I've always wondered if we really spread germs and bacteria when we low them out, So I decided to look into this, and it turns out that scientists from the Canadian Center of Science and Education have conducted some pretty extensive studies on this, and I'm sorry to say the results are not pretty. After multiple trials, the team found that cakes with candles that were blown out contain nearly fifteen thousand percent more bacteria than cakes that did not have candles blown out. That's obviously bad news for germophobes, but there is a silver lining here. So the research shows that most bacteria can't survive thisliva in our mouth or the acid in our stomach. We have a much greater chance of getting sick from bacteria that makes it into our noses and our eyes. So as long as you don't shove cake up there, you can still chill down in relative safety.
Speaker 1: It's good to know. Here's the story from a party that went completely wrong. So back in nineteen twelve, sixteen women were fired from their jobs at the Ladies Home Journal for dancing the Turkey trot on their lunch break. Although the trendy dance this stuff had been named and modeled after the movements of a turkey, including elbow lifts to mimic the bird's flapping wings, it still managed to spark this outrage from the era's moral police. Some venues posted signs that said no turkey trotting allowed, and others went so far as stationing a uniformed employee in the center of the dance floor to watch out for illicit trotter's. The dance prohibitions hit peak absurdi though, when sixteen Philadelphia women were fired from a magazine for dancing the trot on company grounds. The staff had gathered in the ladies wreck room. This was during their lunch hour, and they were gearing up for the coming weekend by teaching each other these dance steps. Unfortunately, the magazine's chief editor, Edward Bach, happened to pass by just as the women were demonstrating the trot, and needless to say, he did not like what he saw. The mass firing was reported nationwide and most papers ran the same headline. Girls danced the turkey trot and editor Boch saw them and was fearfully shocked.
Speaker 2: So weird. That's great fact though. I actually have another cautionary tale for you, and it's about a French nobleman who threw an epic party in the seventeenth century and wound up paying for it for the rest of his life. His name was Nicolay Fouquet, and his party was supposedly meant to honor the most famous guest, twenty two year old King Louis the fourteenth. In reality, though, the event was just a way for Fouquet to show off his fancy new estate and maybe get himself promoted to Prime Minister. So Fouquet pulled out all the stops to achieve this. He invited somewhere between three thousand and six thousand people, and he gave every single one of them a costly gift. These diamond brooches for the ladies and thoroughbred horses for them. Then these gifts are wild now. He also called in a favor from the famous playwright Molier and had him write a new comedic play to be performed for the first time after dinner. The performance was held in these lavish gardens, and when it concluded, guests were treated to a spectacular firework show above the estate. There was even a big mechanical whale that quote swam through a canal and shot off even more fireworks. The party was a huge success by every measure except one. King Louis didn't feel honored by the event. In fact, the young king felt threatened by Fouquet's flagrant display of wealth, especially since it seemed to support earlier accusations that Fouquet had been stealing money from the Royal Treasury. But whether the rumors were true or not, Fouque's fate was sealed by the end of the party. He was arrested on trumped up charges just a few weeks later and spent the rest of his life in prison, all because he threw a party that was a little too good.
Speaker 1: I feel like, aside from glitter, wounding, a king's ego is probably the ultimate party foul. So I do think between the thurdbred horses and the approaches and all that, I think you get the trophy for this one.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a lot of horses. Actually, I think Fouquet deserves the trophy for that. That is just wild. All right, Well, that's going to do it for today's Part Time Genius from Mary Gabe, Dylan Mango and me. Thank you so so much for listening now. If you enjoyed the show, come find us on Instagram at part Time Genius and be sure to tune in next week for another brand new episode.
Speaker 1: Part Time Genius is a production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. This show is hosted by Will Pearson and me Mongashtikler and research by our good pal Mary Philip Sandy. Today's episode was engineered and produced by the wonderful Dylan Fagan with support from Tyler Klang. The show is executive produced for iHeart by Katrina Norvel and Ali Perry, with social media support from Sasha Gay, trustee Dara Potts and Viney Shorey. For more podcasts from Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.