Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Credit Edge, a weekly markets podcast. My name is James Crumbie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: And I'm Jody Lurry, a senior credit analyst covering leisure, lodging, gaming, restaurants, and rental car companies at Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 3: This week, we're very pleased to.
Speaker 2: Welcome Lisa Coleman, head of Global Investment Grade Corporate Credit at JP Morgan Asset Management.
Speaker 3: How are you, Lisa, I'm great.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me over today.
Speaker 2: Well, it's wonderful to have you and I'm just so excited to dip into an area that I'm extremely passionate about.
Speaker 1: Great, see Lisa. Just to set the scene there before we begin, Global markets are getting whipswored by recession fears and haphazard and erretic US policymaking, particularly on trade. Despite that credit spreads are quite thin the board, there's a hope that the longer term trajectory of the US economy remains up despite some short term pain and volatility. Market optimists believe the new administration has their back and will do its best to defend the economy, that everything will be okay in the end, bond and loan markets are pricing in very low odds of US recession, even as talk of economic downturn and stagflation become more frequent, with consumers throwing in the towel and business leaders putting investments on hold, complaining that they can't take long term decisions in this kind of an environment. Treasury yields meanwhile remain high, keeping buyers of fixed income happy, especially those with floating rate assets. Above all, there's not enough supply of corporate debt to satisfy the growing demand. But what's your view, lease, So there seems to be a lot of risk out there that isn't maybe in the price. And from your standpoint, are we stressing too much? How our high grade borrowers doing in this environment at the moment?
Speaker 4: Hey, how much time do we have to talk about this?
Speaker 1: We can go on. We have time.
Speaker 4: So look, I mean, the way I like to think about it is, there's so much news bombarding us every day and the markets are just you know, swooning back and forth depending upon the news flow. So for me, I always try to take things back down to the basics, and so when I think about companies, you know, what's underpinning the strength of companies today, and so maybe we could start there and hopefully not get too much into the weeds.
Speaker 5: But you know, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things we do is we try to understand what the earnings growth looks like for companies, and so in our world of credit, that means EBITDAH because that's an important foundation for understanding the direction that leverage is going. And so crucial to that is working with our analyst team and we try to project out what forward EBITDUG growth will look like for industrial companies, and that really allows us to get a baseline for you know, what do we expect companies to do. But also so if we can aggregate up this individual company data into sectors and then into the broader market, it can also provide us some bottom up insight that can complement what we're getting from top down economic data. So when we were ending the fourth quarter of last year, we had asked our analysts, so where do you think going forward for the next twelve months, where do you think growth is going to come in for the median industrial company? And the EBIT down number was coming in around five percent, which feels about right, you know, it's again we're not using like the you can't comp that to the S and P expectations because this is median. It's and we have a different composition. But it gives you directionally where we were thinking. And in fact, in the fourth quarter, oddly enough, you know where did EBITDUG growth come in around five percent? But now you know here we are, we're starting a new quarter, and where do we think we're going to be in twenty five And you know, to the point you were making earlier James, about you know, a lot of news hitting the market and fears. We began this year with companies really guiding down a little bit from where they were. You know, it makes sense is we're starting a new year, companies have a chance to refresh, they're recognizing some uncertainties, and so we saw earnings getting guided down and in fact the starting point for us now when we're looking at that forward growth for twenty five is an EBADUG growth number actually closer to three percent. So that's a big difference. Now, look, I think there's probably a little bit of wiggle room in there and a little bit of uncertainty, but I think that you know, that is a starting point gives us a little bit less of a cushion in the event that we start to get bad news on tariffs.
Speaker 2: So, Lisa, you were one of our steamed guests at the end of the year for our Credit Outlook event, and during that event, everybody talked about potential for spreads going even tighter, and it was a yield versus spread conversation. Now, now, something you brought up which you touched on just now with the fundamentals, but you said there were three parts that you look at, fundamentals, technicals, and valuations. So it sounds like the fundamental side you're a little bit less optimistic about going into this year, But how are you feeling on the technicals and the valuations.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're right about the fundamentals, And if I could just one other point on fundamentals before we talk about technicals and valuations. One of the things that we did is we did a little bit of stress testing on the fundamentals and we said, we don't really know where tariffs are going to shake out, but let's just assume a ten percent across the board tariff that actually is going to be a hit to these ebadon numbers. By about a percentage point, and if I were to put that in context, that gets us to ebadon numbers that were prevalent back in twenty three. And remember in twenty three that was a period where there were a lot of fears about more of a hard landing, and so I just think it's important to note that the tariffs bring us into a territory that is.
Speaker 5: A little bit more uncertain.
Speaker 4: And also remember back in twenty three we were getting some fiscal tailwinds from the IRA, from the Infrastructure Bill, from the Chips and Science Act, which we may not have sufficient or a similar kind of fiscal stimulus this year. So just want to get that one point out. Now, in the technicals, I think we're seeing a little bit of a deterioration. In fact, we were just chatting about this today in one of our STRES meetings. So in twenty twenty four, what I think characterized some of the strength in technicals were foreign flows and particularly European flows, which were quite robust. The good news is, at least since the beginning of the year, looking at TICK data through January, we are seeing European flows still looking okay, and in a way that kind of makes sense because when we looked at the hedge spread for Europe, it actually looks pretty good if you're a European investor looking at the US market, so we can see how there could be some demand there. But where we've seen I think some deterioration would be in the area coming from Japan, and so whether you're looking at things on a hedge deal basis or on a hedge spread basis, the competition from jgbs is pretty keen and we haven't seen that years now. Granted, the Japanese investor hasn't been a big contributor to flow, certainly last year, but we had thought maybe this year we could see that change, but it really doesn't look like with the way valuations for that buyer base are looking that we can really count on that. So then we have to shift our focus and say, all right, well, domestically, you know what's going on with mutual fun flows. And it's a little bit tough to read the tea leaves right now, but EPFR started out pretty strong for much of this year. However, the run rate seems to be coming off a little bit. It's still positive, but certainly not at the pace it was several weeks ago. Now it's hard to know if that is simply because there's more volatility investors or maybe a little bit concerned at putting more money into fix income assets. Who knows, And that could come back. But right now, if we look at just a slightly lower run rate or I shouldn't say slightly, a lower run rate of EPFR and Japan investors not necessarily feeling that great about the US market, and the European investor maybe coming in. I feel like the technicals from where we were at the beginning of the year have deteriorated.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The last point you asked me about was valuations, and I think this is where I think we have to be maybe a little bit more circumspect about how the operating environment has changed. So when we look at spreads where they are today, we're pricing in very low levels of recession risk. And the way we think about that as we go back and look at where spreads were at various recessions andary periods and the distance from where those spreads were to today and think about how much predictability spreads are reflecting of recession coming forward, and so it's virtually zero, and I would add that's also true for Europe. But I think what's changed in the US is bringing it all the way back to the fundamentals.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 4: We're at a more precarious position starting the year, still positive, but not the run rate that we were seeing at the end of last year. And you know, again, the tariffs are very uncertain, so we can't really have a zero probability of recession. So what does that mean for me? If we were to price in about a twenty percent probability of recession, that would get you out to about one hundred and twenty basis points on spreads. That feels a little aggressive right now. But what I think it does say is the idea of and I know we throw out fifty five basis points when we were chatting. That feels a little aggressive to me, and I think that came up at that year end seminar and I was probably a little bit more bullish on spreads. But I think, you know, maybe this range of let's say eighty eighty five basis points out to one hundred and ten basis points could be the range that we find ourselves in. And I think we just need to be paid a little bit more for the uncertainty risk now in the market.
Speaker 2: So, Lisa, you bring up a couple of extremely good points that I'm going to see if I can tackle in one neat follow up question, So you talk about how the international investor may or may not be as comfortable in the US, there's potential indication for some sort of flight to quality. How are you seeing that manifest in the investment grade space? And when you think about that three percent you doug or that you did, that you've thrown out, how are you then thinking about leverage in general? Are you seeing it massively grow? Are you seeing it sort of old steady assuming that companies won't bring on the debt. Where are you sort of measuring all of that?
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: So when we look at our median industrial company leverage has been incredibly stable now for several quarters. We don't look particularly stretched at all. And in fact, you know, when we look at the behavior of companies, what's been interesting is if we divide up the world into let's say, our single A rated companies and our triple B rated companies, what you find is the single A rated companies really have been much more active in terms of share.
Speaker 5: Buybacks and the like.
Speaker 4: Whereas you're finding the triple B companies are much more conservative and not going down that path. So in that regard, I don't think we see any aggressive behavior. And I would also add that operating margins have been very stable and for our cohort that we look at the medians around fifteen percent, that's pretty good and it's been stable so that I don't see really any deterioration at that point or at the point we're at now, which kind of makes sense. And frankly, debt growth that's not been rising as well, So you know, this flight to quality, it's how does that manifest itself? And I think you know, you can look at the performance of let's say single A and triple B companies, and during this period where we've had a little bit of volatility, they've been kind of moving in tandem. And so for us, we think maybe this is a good opportunity to try and upgrade your portfolio a little bit and maybe you lean a little bit more heavily into single A rated companies. The other thing we like, and I've been focusing mainly on in industrials, but I think banks offer a very good opportunity. I know it's consensus that a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Like the banks.
Speaker 4: But you know, when you look at bank earnings, bank earnings have been very strong, capital has been very strong, losses reserving has been low. I know there's been a lot of talk about less regulation of banks, whether you know that means uh Bassil three endgame, you know, keeping things capital neutral, whether that means looking at the regional banks where you require mark to market on securities portfolios, holding, you know, issuing a little bit more debt for loss absorption if that were to be necessary. U. I think all these things, you know, when we look at them all together, the picture is still one of a sector that is in very good health. Yes, there might be a little bit more or a little bit less regulation for the jesips, maybe a little bit more regulation for the regionals, but I think, you know, the resiliency of these institutions make them very attractive in our opinion to hold. And I would add likewise, for the European financials, particularly European banks, the profitability is very strong, that capital is very strong, reserves, you know, losses are very low. I think they also make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: The picture of painting least is quite a bearish outlook. You know a lot of uncertainty. Fundamentals are getting weaker. You know, technicals at the margin, you know, when you talk about Japan are going to be under pressure. But then you know, spread still around ninety on the US credit Every time there's there's a bout of volatility, everyone you know in the EPTY market panics in the market drop, but credit just holds rock steady. What's what's going on there?
Speaker 5: You know, it's.
Speaker 4: Funny, I think, I think because companies are in such you know, in such robust financial condition. I mean, the leverage metrics.
Speaker 5: Haven't budged.
Speaker 4: The you know, and we're talking about a slow down in the rate of growth of EBITDA. It's still positive growth though we're not talking about declines in ebit done negative EBITDA. We're talking about you know, tariffs coming on board. I think for many of our investment grade companies in many sectors, they have the ability to manage through that if they just know what the tariffs are going to be. So to me, I think we're we're creating an environment where things look a little bit less robust than the word were last year. If we get through this tariff period, liberation day, we find out what the tariffs are companies. Companies can't adjust, they just need to know what it is they're adjusting to. Then I think we get to a point where we'll manage along and you know, I think we just have to price in a little bit more tail risk. And so that range that I was talking about earlier feels okay to me. It's if we start to see a meaningful shift in flows and I look, I see, you know, everything we're talking about is shades of adjustment, right, and not something being completely upended. And so I can see us and I still maintain that maybe we'll have a carry like year return for investment grade credit in the absence of some external event, whether that be brought about through tear, whether that be brought about through some extraneous event we don't know about. But I would envision a period where we should be fairly stable, but you just need to be paid a little bit more to hold it.
Speaker 1: And you don't expect a ton of downgrades.
Speaker 4: I don't at this point in time. There are obviously some large issuers that have been downgraded, but now I don't. In fact, the trend still seems to be reasonably positive.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The other thing which we haven't talked about is, you know, look at what's going on with Europe right now, and that to me is a very interesting story. And this comes around to the whole global growth story because you know, we went through a period of time where growth was so anemic in Europe and we were waiting for the ECB to continue to cut and then we were worried about tariffs. And now we've got Germany, you know, passing these these programs for infrastructure and for defense spending, and you know, these are multi year fiscal you know, fiscal impulses that will have a positive impact on many companies. And so I think, you know, we've now got another part of the corporate market that should be beneficiaries. And these are companies that are they may be based in Europe, but they issue in dollar, they issue in euro they issue in different currencies, and these are ones that you know, perhaps we want to be focused on as beneficiaries, you know, in the area of capital goods for example. You know, there'll be companies that that I think will do well and and some of the analysis that we've done also when we're thinking about you know, these two opposing forces, one of tariffs that that's bad that could imposed on European companies, and one of infrastructure spending and defense spending that creates a positive stimulus. We find that at least in this coming year, the two probably offset each other, which is terrific, you know, if you've got something to offset the potential damage of tariffs. But as we start to look into twenty six and twenty seven, there should be a positive impulse for companies as a result of this.
Speaker 2: So, Lisa, something that I'm curious about. You know, you hint a little bit at this earlier, but you talk about how margins have kind of held study and how companies are still doing well, but.
Speaker 3: We have that tariff potential.
Speaker 2: A lot of the companies, at least in my sector post COVID cut costs in order to bolster margins, particularly as they waited for consumers to come back. Thinking about in that context, you know, obviously the leisure space is indirectly affected by tariffs, you know, as compared to something like autos that's much more directly affected. Where are you sort of thinking in terms of measuring the tariff effect, seeing what sort of cushion different types of companies have.
Speaker 3: Where are you thinking in terms of.
Speaker 2: How it's going to Oh, are companies going to be able to absorb this and push it on or is it going to be something that's so overhanging in this environment.
Speaker 4: So I think that's exactly the question to ask, and maybe what I can do is give you two extremes. One in an area that you'll be familiar with is the retail space, an area where margins are already pretty thin, and as you point out, I mean, companies there have had to really adapt, work on supply chain, work on cutting costs, trying to figure out efficiencies, and so the room for error is pretty low in a space that is highly exposed to foreign goods. And so when you think about the retail companies, for many of them, at least in the investment grade universe, as a percentage of sales, imports run between let's say a third and fifty percent, So it's substantial. And you know, one of the things that many companies have done is they've tried to move a little bit further away from China and diversify into other spaces. You know, Vietnam is often cited is a sourcing point, and yet you know, in a world where tariffs are going to be spread across many countries, potentially they're going to be very much in the crosshairs. Look at Mexico, you know, retailers get fresh foods from Mexico and the like. When you think of about you know, other areas which I didn't mention, like China or Vietnam and the like, it's appaeril, you know, it's electronics and other things. So that they will be very much impacted.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: You know, one of the things they can do is they can go back to their suppliers and squeeze them more. But you probably are aware of the article which highlights that the Chinese government is saying no, no, you know you can't. You can't absorb any of more of this when the large US retailers are pushing back on you. So that becomes a little bit challenging. But I think what some of the largest retailers are very good at is understanding the price points for the different products that they offer, and so understanding where that elasticity is. And I would almost think about this as let's say a portfolio of products, and so you know that you've got a little bit of wiggle room to raise price on one skew, let's say, and you can watch and see what happens to demand, and if you know, demand starts to hit a little bit of a wall, then maybe you hold back on that, but maybe there's another product in the portfolio that you have scope to raise the pricing on. So I think we'll see a lot of different ways that that companies are going to adjust. But the retail space is one that it's very very tariff sensitive and it will have a very big impact on EBITDAF for companies as if we are to see these go into effect. On the other extreme is pharma and that's one where there is more.
Speaker 5: Of a limited impact.
Speaker 4: And you know what people might say is whoa wait a minute, you know what about you know the companies that are producing in Ireland. You know what's going to happen with them. They're going to get tariffed. And the response that you know I have from talking with our analysts who covers the spaces, you know, yes, there are some high value products that are produced in Ireland. It's not just about generics. But again everything is the tariff is going to be based on cost and so these companies are on the opposite extreme where they have very high margins compared to what retailers have, and so they do have an ability to absorb some of those costs. The other part of pharma is, you know, you've got the APIs the products that are used to create the pharmaceuticals, the things, the inputs required that provide the therapeutic effect, and you know those could potentially be tariffed as they come into the US. But again, the cost of these is small relative to the margins that pharma companies are experiencing. And it's interesting and talking with our analyst about this, you know what he says is, you know, maybe some of the bigger threat to pharma companies comes in two sources. The first is what's going on with the pricing negotiations on the list of drugs for medicare and medicaid, which it started out with ten drugs. Now we're expanding to fifteen, so that will have an impact. But the other thing is an area which I'm not an expert in, is this whole issue of guilty, you know, the foreign tax on IP and that is an area where granted right now it's pretty low. I want to say it's a little over ten percent. If I'm not mistaken, that may increase in twenty six. But you know, if the new administration wants to really pressure the pharma companies a little bit more, if they are able to get congressional approval, they could also raise guilty a little bit more. So I just go down that you know, list of different things that you know, here's a space in the pharma area where tariffs maybe aren't going to have that big an impact.
Speaker 5: You've got two other issues.
Speaker 4: You've got taxes, and you've got you know, now renegotiator negotiated prices, but the margins are so big that it's not likely to have a material impact.
Speaker 2: Before I dig deeper into the healthcare discussion, because I am curious on your thoughts about the administration's choices in terms of you know, HHS head who may or may not be favorable to the pharma space. But beyond that, going back to the consumer, something that that was interesting that you brought up is you talked about apparel consumers or a pair apparel retailing as well as food retailing, and the food retailing of course being tremendously sourced from Mexico or Canada in some cases, thinking along those lines, so I write about restaurants, and obviously restaurants have been a little bit more mixed over the past year because low income consumers have definitely been pulling back into terms of their spending.
Speaker 3: We're already seeing.
Speaker 2: That a lot of retailers, the traditional apparel retailers, are being affected by consumers choosing not to spend on discretionary spending of goods and rather on services, which is great for a lot of my companies. But thinking along those lines of you have apparel retailers, a lot of them feeling the pressure of consumers not wanting to consume there. Then you have restaurants that have already been a little bit mixed. Then you throw tariffs into the mix. And Darden, of course reported last week they indicated that.
Speaker 3: They're able to absorb a lot of it.
Speaker 2: They do have some concerns, but by and large, you know, even from things such as kitchen supplies, they're short of anticipating the effects of that. But even so, that's just one company and a lot of the other companies might be more directly affected.
Speaker 3: How are you sort of.
Speaker 2: Looking at it in terms of I guess sub sectors. What area within consumer discretionary are you comfortable with or are you just saying, you know what, right now it's a little uncertain, let's just go into pharma, let's go into healthcare.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's interesting.
Speaker 4: We don't have a lot to choose from in the IG universe. You know, as you'll know, a lot of the department stores no longer are investment grade, so we don't have them to worry about. I'll leave that to my high yield colleagues, and so that's their problem. So really for us we have tilted into pharma. We like that space. There are still you know, the pharma model that has worked well for us.
Speaker 5: Is the company that makes an acquisition.
Speaker 4: And think about it, you know a lot of these pharma companies aren't doing us. There are a lot of their own R and D and research and eternally they're looking for companies that are external and looking for an opportunity to buy those. They buy them, they put a little bit of leverage on the company, and then they go through a deleveraging process. And so we like when those opportunities happen where we have confidence that that is the management's approach to acquisitions. You make the acquisition, you add a little bit of leverage, you then deleverage over time, and so in that regard, when those opportunities provide themselves to us, we like to invest in those. And we still think that there are some companies and well I can't name specific companies, but there are some that are still in the process of that deleveraging mode. And so we like those stories, and we like the stability of pharma, notwithstanding some of the challenges that they may be facing, as you've highlighted in the coming year.
Speaker 1: Going back to the valuation point where we started, do you buy the idea that this is a substantially fundamentally different market now than you know where you started your career. I mean, that's that's the pitch I'm getting. You know, when I ask people about spreads all day long, they say, first of all, don't look at the spreads, just look at the yield, and we'll buy ig all day long at five percent. Secondly, they say, it doesn't really matter because you know, it's a different market, it's high quality, it's more liquid, you can do these massive portfolio trades. You know, it's much much, much more of a value you know, there's all this value there that necessitates tighter spreads. Do you buy that?
Speaker 4: I think the market has changed even more fundamentally than that. So I started my career back in the eighties. It was a long time ago, and I think the difference is that the environment has changed. And so for much of my career, you had periods of time where you had an economic cycle, and so you had periods where you know, the economy would be growing, companies would be putting on leverage, and then you know, they'd become over levered and something would happen with the economy and you weren't going to necessarily get bailed out by the FED or by aggressive fiscal policy, and you'd have these corrections which would clear out a lot of the you know, the offenders, and in my market, that would mean they would get downgraded to high yield. And I think about that period of one oh two where you had corporate malfeasance which really compounded problems, or you just had you know, companies just leveraged up at a period of time where the economy fell away and you had a cleansing. And you know, now, what I think happens is we don't at least an investment grade. Really have that. And you know, I think back on when we had COVID hit and you had a coupled a couple of companies that were downgraded, and that happened before the FED had announced their plan to back essentially backs up corporate debt, which then put a floor under things. So I feel like there's and I hate to say it, there's a put because I think it's just an awful way to describe things. But I don't think we have, you know, the same market where you get these massive moves and spreads because there is this risk of widespread downgrades, we seem to have some official support that prevents that from happening.
Speaker 1: And how much of it do you think comes from the lack of supply? You know, net new supply, There's not much of it. There's no deal making. Also, you know, the private credit guys have got their eyes on IG as well, So you know, potentially you've got all the supply being siphoned off and demand remains steady. Maybe it drops off a bit, but that just squeezes the spread, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: It does bear in mind it's interesting just the size of our market. Also, we're talking about this today. So the size of our market has been growing and growing, and think back to twenty twenty, where we had so much issuance that was going on, and now we're in a period where five years later, a lot of that issuance is now maturing and is getting rolled over. And so just to stay invested, you have to just keep buying. So it's not just you know, the private credit people might be circling for ig Although I hear a lot about it, I still I'm not quite sure how it's all going to work. But you hear a lot about that, and you have you know, more diversified buyer bases and like. But I just think the reinvestment of the size of our market is very large and creates a natural demand.
Speaker 1: Been a kind of you know, perception at least. And I'm interested in your thoughts and how real it is that you know, maybe people need to diversify out of the US, given you know, the volatility, given the changes that are happening very very quickly in the political side. To what extent you seeing that, to what e's scent? Is it real? And what are the limits to that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there was an amazing opportunity within the past several months to be able to invest in European credit relative to US credit. And I remember we were looking at some things in one of our strategy meetings and it was just so striking the differentials between the two and it just seemed to make sense that, you know, even for US companies that were that had Euro denominated debt, the spreads, even adjusting for swap spread differentials, just were that much cheaper. So that to US was a really great opportunity. Now what we've seen is that differential really compressed, so the two markets are now essentially on a government bond spread basis, or spread over government bonds trading on top of each other. So you know, maybe that opportunity has waned for a little bit, but we did see over the past several weeks a little bit of US under performance. So one of the things you can do is say, well, maybe there are some very rich European bonds, we can now swap those back into US. So I think there's great opportunities to rotate between the two markets. And I do think, you know, as I was saying before, what's going on with Europe is really pretty incredible, and I think you will see companies that are that are going to benefit, whether that's in the transport space. I mentioned the camp Good space. I think banks in Europe are going to benefit from what's happening there. So I think we just have to watch when the valuations lean more into that area to take advantage of those.
Speaker 1: Is there any risks all the defense spending the government level crowding out some of this corporations, do you think in terms of the demand for it.
Speaker 4: You know, that's a good question, right because you can look at, you know, some of the government agency type debt. If we start getting the kind of Eurozone collective debt issuance, it may for some of the higher quality parts of the market, I could probably see that. But I think there's enough in single A and triple B debt and probably enough spread that it should still be able to attract investors and list.
Speaker 2: So if we think about beyond corporate ig I mean for the areas in which you can occasionally dip into other markets, are you looking at that, are you just really sticking to your bread and butter and are you considering it from you know, you talked about it being very much a carry trade these days. Are you seeing any sort of benefit. I mean, it sounds like Europe and US it's now just a wash at this point.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so you know, it's interesting. I we have the flexibility in many of our stresses to go into high yield and kind of a natural a natural place for someone managing an investment grade strategy is to look at double B, look for rising stars, look for opportunities there. And you know what happened, and up until just recently where the spreads have shifted a bit, but that relationship between triple B and double B spreads became very, very compressed. And what we found to offer better value was going back to those hybrid securities that I was talking about, or some of the bank securities, where for the same type of spread that you would receive on a double B rated company spawns you could actually buy something issued by an investment grade company, but you were coming down in the capital structure, and we felt that that offered a more compelling story and you know, in some cases a better volatility profile. Now, when some of the utility hybrids were first getting started, we're starting to see some issuance. They traded with a little bit more volatility than you might find in traditional double B high yield. But I think over time is that market has begun to fill out and more participants have come in. The volatility has really started.
Speaker 5: To come down.
Speaker 4: So for me, I would prefer owning an investment grade company coming down in cap structure then necessarily buying a double B rated company where the spreads had been pretty tight. Now we have seen some underperformance of high yield, and I'm a little bit more interested to look there. But I think that market is still pretty well bid, and so you know, I think I think I'll stick to my hybrids and my bank capital for the time being.
Speaker 1: Is that where the best value is right now in terms of your global portfolio, where would you pinpoint relative value for the next let's say, twelve or eighteen months.
Speaker 4: So if we think about the top ideas that we have right now in portfolios, we've done a bit more of an up and quality trade in ig We think that, you know, there's a lot of very interesting single A companies that we think should do well. We've decided to lean into financials. We like the banks, and then to spice up our portfolios. It's a little bit of a barbell. Maybe you will look at a little bit of at one because we still think that story in Europe is very compelling, and we'll look at the hybrid securities.
Speaker 2: And Lisa, I kind of crack up about the hybrid conversation, only because in my prior life though, it was something that I did a lot of, well, the fixed to floats, a lot of the preferred, the twenty five dollars par bonds, all that fun stuff. So it really does feel like it's coming full circle now. One thing that I do wonder, and you talked a little bit or a lot bit about tariffs, but beyond that, what keeps you up at night in everything that's going on. I mean, there's so much happening, but what's really the factor that's keeping up at night these days?
Speaker 5: That's a great question, you know. I think I think we are.
Speaker 4: Embarking on a very different approach to the role of the US and how the US is going to be run from an economic perspective, from a political perspective, and it's a lot of change very quickly, and so in my mind this is not meant to be political at all. But when you start to see very big shifts in terms of you know, philosophy of how things should be done. When you're making change very quickly, sometimes things can unintentionally break and so that worries me is I try to figure out what is it that we're going too quickly on Where could we fall short? You know, right now we're talking about tariffs. The next thing we're going to be talking.
Speaker 5: About is the budget.
Speaker 4: You know, we've got t c JA coming up. This this rollover. You know, what is the environment going to be like for companies? There are there's a school of thought that you know, maybe this isn't going to be quite as accommodating an environment for companies as was thought. You know, back toward the end of last year, you know, you hear about some things being floated that could have a negative impact on companies. You know, you you hear about business or corporate salt that's worth a lot of money to companies. So that's something that may have to adjust to.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. Lisa Coleman, head of Global Investment Grade Corporate Credit at JP Morgan Asset Management, It's been a pleasure having you on the credit edge. Many thanks, and of course we're very grateful to Jody Luri from Bloomberg Intelligence thanks for joining us today, Jody. For more Credit Analysis, read all of Jody's great work on the Bloomberg Terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department, with five hundred analysts and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits and outlooks on more than ninety industries and one hundred market industries, currencies, and commodities. Please do subscribe to the Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify, and all other good podcast providers, including the Bloomberg Terminal at bpod Go. Give us a review, tell your friends, or email me directly at jcromb eight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Cromby. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Edge.