Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys This he's Talking Cowboys Training Live from Dallas Cowboys Training Camp in.
Speaker 4: Oxnard, Calais.
Speaker 5: Second Lea's got ten sixdown and now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeoman's.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Talking Cowboys Live from training camp in Oxnard, California. I am here with Patrick No C.
Speaker 7: Walker.
Speaker 6: I am here with Nathaniel Newton Cowboys Legend. I am Josh Rodriguez. Christopher Beemer in the background setting up the cameras doing his thing. Boys, how are we feeling?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 6: I could use a big old cup of black Rifle coffee. I really could, And speaking of.
Speaker 9: It'll get you going.
Speaker 6: This podcast is brought to you by Black Rifle Coffee. Please send us some murdered out coffee like that.
Speaker 5: Complete coincidence that you were craving black rifle coffee in there.
Speaker 6: It's never a coincidence when you're craving a.
Speaker 7: Black rifle coffee.
Speaker 9: Complete coincidence.
Speaker 6: No, I need a big old espresso right now.
Speaker 9: You know, it's the middle of the week. Struggle is that what you're feeling?
Speaker 6: Yeah, big time, big time. How are we doing, boys, How are we feeling today?
Speaker 5: I'm feeling great. We're a live right, we're alive. We're here, we're talking football. I'm sitting next to a Cowboys Lynchend.
Speaker 7: You know, poor man's Charles Barkley, he said, he said.
Speaker 9: He said that offline.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's who I am. The poor man's uh what child's made ten million a year.
Speaker 10: So take nine thousand dollars and give me the hundred left, give me one hundred left.
Speaker 7: How are we feeling today?
Speaker 3: Night?
Speaker 1: Oh? Great man, great, great, y'all Barkley.
Speaker 9: Yes, Nate's willing to take a team friendly deal on his Oh yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can come there. I'll come out here free.
Speaker 6: We have lots to talk about today, lots to talk about really intense patted practice yesterday. But let's get into the news and notes end everything that Patrick want.
Speaker 5: Well, first, let's go ahead and get the uh the non football stuff out of the way. Business. Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb have both well. We received an update from Stephen Jones on both Ceede Lamb and Dak Prescott's contract. Let me put it that way, So as we knew going into the back end of the weekend, uh, the Cowboys submitted an offer recently to both Dak Prescott and CD Lamb as recently it's Friday, great news show some traction there. We got some news from Stephen Jones effective yesterday morning that they got a counter offer from Ceedee Lamb on Sunday night. So that just lets you know that it's activity there. Stephen defined it as quote unquote upbeat and very cordial. So there's movement and it could land at any day, any moment. The good news is there's movement there and as far as Dak Prescott is concerned, Cowboys remain upbeat as far as that as well. You know, the temperature between the talks are hot. Things are going on, So good news there. Now to the football side, Treyvon Diggs, first team All Pro record sitting cornerback.
Speaker 9: He's back.
Speaker 5: He was officially removed from the team's pup physically unable to perform list. As far as expectations go, I'm told don't expect him on the field as far as team drills with seven on sevens just yet.
Speaker 9: They're continuing him in his ramp up period.
Speaker 5: From that rehab from the torn acl But he is available to practice as soon as they deem him willing, not willing, but worthy to do so.
Speaker 7: Worthy being the operative word.
Speaker 6: And I know Mike macarthy was talking about kind of easing him into practice. We saw him out there, he was on the field, he was doing his preparations getting already. I can't wait to see him in paths on the field and everything. But how soon should we expect to see that.
Speaker 9: I honestly wouldn't put a date on it.
Speaker 5: I would say it could be as early as next week when they start putting him into because keep in mind, he has to go through up to individual drills first, so like yesterday he was doing work with trainer Britt Brown, getting himself back together as far as conditioning goes. He'll go from there and then he has to go to individual drills. From individual drills, then you work him into seven on seven drills, and then you work him into full team drills. So if you look at it from that capacity alone, you might not see Trayvon Diggs doing seven on seven or full team drills until earlier mid next week.
Speaker 9: But I would I'm hesitant to put a date on it.
Speaker 5: I said, let that play itself out, because what you don't want to do is rush that guy back, and they have no intentions of doing that.
Speaker 10: I have seen through experience. I've seen it, I've been a part of it.
Speaker 1: I know that he's physically, bodily wise ready to go.
Speaker 10: If Britt Brown releases you, you are physically ready to go. The question I've always had for trainers and everybody concerned the player mostly is where you at mentally when you when you make that first awkward move, how will you respond after that?
Speaker 1: So I'm always waiting on I like the slow approach.
Speaker 10: If he get back by the six or seventh game of the year, where a snap count, it would not bother me. With a with a snap count meaning ten plays here of fifteen twenty a ramp up, it would not bother me. And am I am serious? I wanted it for Still, I wanted it for Michael Gallup.
Speaker 1: It's just the way I'm built, you know.
Speaker 10: And I know sometimes you say, well, we need this guy, we need he's better than the backup.
Speaker 1: No he's not, because he's mentally not ready.
Speaker 10: And you don't want that game where somebody go off on you and say Oh, I'm really not ready. You don't want that still went through, This guy'd be one of the most him and Dad got a rank one in two in mental toughness.
Speaker 1: Still was still with through last year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 10: He wasn't mentally ready. Physically he was. I mean, you see no injuries, but mentally he was not ready. But those first seven eight games and uh, and I just want this kid to be mentally ready. I know he's physically ready, but I want him to be mentally ready. So if you don't get back into the fifth of sixth game, I'm good with it. I may not be good with Missus Jones brown out the fans, but I'm just saying, from a player's perspective.
Speaker 6: No, one hundred percent. And it hasn't even been a full year since that injury. Like, it's not like we're talking about exactly, it's not like we're talking about last training camp where this happened. It's it hasn't been a full year yet, and I'm more than comfortable seeing them sort of ease him into practice, as Michael McCarthy talked about. All right, boy, so our next point, the pads are on. Yes, we saw him on yesterday football is actually happening. The pads are popping, and I want to ask you, guys from a football perspective, what is the significance of having pads on during these and why are there so few padded practices for the people at home.
Speaker 10: Well, the number one reason they say safety the number of wear and tell on the body. That's number two. But for me, what past does give you a more real life timing? The quicker you can ramp yourself up to use of getting hit and being physical and going through the actual plays.
Speaker 1: It helps the timing.
Speaker 10: The quarterback get to see when you're out there as a wide receiver, when you're in no pass, nobody's really putting hands on you. But now these cornerbacks are putting hands on these receivers. So now they have to learn to adjust their routes, the hand movement, the hand combat that has to go. It's a lot of things that go into when you put the pads on. Like me personally, when I played, I was the worst guy with no pass Because guys, young guys.
Speaker 1: Be running by.
Speaker 10: Everybody running by, they'll be laughing, you know, But the past go It's like now I'm laughing, I'm sitting over there laughing and eating a doughnut, drinking coffee like you ain't the guy you thought you was so uh, And we see it every year.
Speaker 1: Man, this guy looked great.
Speaker 10: Like we was talking yesterday for the past, for no paths to be on these guys great.
Speaker 1: Well, a few guys disappeared yesterday.
Speaker 9: You know who didn't disappear.
Speaker 5: Yes today Tyler got no no, but we'll touch It comes to the paths more or less. You're talking about CBA, the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, it's been negotiated time and again and most recently, I believe this newest one is from twenty twenty, and it just basically dictates how many hours per week uh can be put into you know, not only on field work, but especially contact like full contact like playing in pads. So you know, these NFL coaches nowadays, and unfortunately Mike McCarthy, he's he's felt his share of fines over the past several seasons because of this or that, you know, because he's been pushing to get the work done and it might go over a little bit on this time or that time.
Speaker 7: And there's so many intricacy, there's so.
Speaker 5: Many intricacies to it. So at the end of the day, it's just it's a bold new world. It's not the same world that we enjoyed as football fans when Big Nate was playing, and you know, the Dynasty days of the Cowboys where Jimmy had him out there too days and things like that.
Speaker 9: It's just not that anymore.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I know that kind of lends to some people viewing that as a part of the injury conversation.
Speaker 9: As far as you.
Speaker 5: Know, is that one of the reasons why we're seeing so many injuries in the NFL nowadays. I could see the argument for that. But at the same time, these guys nowadays, they never really stopped training in the offseason anyway, So that's how you kind of balance that. But if you're wondering why so few numbers of padded practices in training camp, it's because of the CBA.
Speaker 6: Fair enough, fair enough, And do we wish that number were higher? I mean, just personally, do we wish that number were high?
Speaker 5: As a fan, yeah, I want to see more, pop I don't care because all thirty two teams are doing it.
Speaker 1: When I played, it was every day, two days.
Speaker 10: An easy day was full pass in the morning, shoulder pads and helmet. In the evening, forty nine ers went shoulder pads, run period and one on one period and then they was off and they did longer practice. They did two hours to two hours and thirty minutes. We did shorter practices. Hours lasted an hour and forty five minutes because we hit. So it doesn't vary from team to team. Everybody's under the same. Veterans get ten hours a day, Rookies get up to twelve hours a day.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 7: So what separates the great teams from the.
Speaker 10: It still comes down to who's got that dog in them, who's got the better athletes, that got the biggest dogs.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: It still comes down to the athletic guy above the shoulders, not below the shoulders, but above the shoulders. Who has a little chip on the shoulders. That's that's that's what that's what drives the same still.
Speaker 5: But it's also like like Nate said, and as far as like the timing goes, you know, when you're talking about as Mike McCarthy puts it, they're running around in their underwear. That's completely different from when the pads are on its full contact as full speed. Now you get to really see who you're lining up against. Now they get to see who they're lining up against. And and yesterday they were off to the races and we saw exactly that. And you know, you start to see the separating line between who looks great in OTAs with no pads versus who can still look great when they are actually getting attacked at the line of scrimmage, if you're a receiver, or if you're in the trenches when Michael Parsons is coming at your full speed Olsa Diggi Zuo was coming at your full speed, or trying to get around a brock Hoffman who had another had a great day yesterday. So full pads basically really gives you the early indication of who will continue to stand out when it matters.
Speaker 7: Most everyone has a plan until they get hunched in the mouth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, word, tyson, word tyson.
Speaker 6: We had some explosive moments in practice yesterday. I kind of want to touch on some of these.
Speaker 7: I was there.
Speaker 6: I was on this side of the field. That happened on the other side headed my direction, where Jane Thomas had an insane interception jumping Douce Vaughan's route picking off a Cooper Rush interception.
Speaker 7: Just an amazing play.
Speaker 6: Uh Patrick has an amazing video of that play that is on at Voice of the Star on Twitter. And also we have a new document or not documentary article feature on Dallas Cowboys dot com called Camp Captures where we where we highlight a lot of those plays that are report our team reporters are filming on the sidelines.
Speaker 7: Great video.
Speaker 6: By the way, I think you need to be a cinematographer. I think you were a cinematographer in another life, in a previous life.
Speaker 9: I take the wish that money had rolled over what.
Speaker 6: Were some other great individual plays yesterday with the pads.
Speaker 5: On Well, another interception right for Mike zimmers defense, and it seems like it doesn't matter which quarterback is back there. They're finding ways. Zimmer secondary, they're finding ways to get their hands on the ball. Shouts out to one Yea Thomas the way he read that route, because I was standing on the same side of the field as you, the way he read closed, reacted and was able to pull that ball in. That was Yeah, that was fantastic. So that's great. Obviously, you want to continue to see that. Tyler Goyton, we got to talk about Tyler Goeydon. He looked good up against Michael Parsons in the mock game, going through the motions. How would he look against Michael Parsons when they were in full pads. And then you saw before practice yesterday Michael Parsons telling Mozzie Smith, no more games, no more games, I'm going to show you how it's done, which told you the mindset of Michael Parsons. He was going to go out there, he was going to attack this rookie first round pick, and as it turns out, time and time again, he ran into a stone wall, even with that fast get off that he has.
Speaker 9: So Tyler Goyton was phenomenal.
Speaker 5: Jalen Brooks again we talked about we talked about one Ye Thomas with that play.
Speaker 7: But also insane play.
Speaker 5: I mean, just yeah, Mazzie Smith is he's looking He's looking good.
Speaker 9: Mazzie Smith is looking good. Did he have a perfect day yesterday? No he didn't.
Speaker 5: But as I posted some clips, his get off is in fact it's fast. It was one of the fastest ones yesterday that I monitored. His size is there, his mindset, is there. He looks like he's playing looser. It looks like he's playing more comfortable in you two man.
Speaker 6: And this is not to be totally entirely optimistic, like we're not. We don't have the blinders on, like this is just what we're saying.
Speaker 9: Was it a perfect day? No?
Speaker 6: But it was a damn good day from No. And we even have to talk about these quarterbacks. I mean that there are a lot of I in ts flying around and I know I was talking to Nate about this earlier too. I mean, how do we feel about the quarterback situation at the moment.
Speaker 10: One thing has been very consistent about this camp, and uh, it's been our dbs and our linebackers getting picks. That has been very consistent. It has been very inc assistance. Is our quarterbacks and wide receivers are not making this connection. I know we don't. We're missing CD Lamb, but we still have the Brooks brothers, you know, the jaalenks Wet.
Speaker 1: We still you know, we still have uh uh what's that? What's that? Got number three? Good?
Speaker 10: While Rennick we still have him. Uh, we still have Ferguson at tight end. So it still should be a connection.
Speaker 1: Here, but our dbs.
Speaker 10: And linebackers are taking over the whole camp. That has been the one of things that's making system with or without pads. Has these guys been breaking on the ball. Just a great job to coach Harrison what he's doing with all those guys in the backfield. But I liked it yesterday was simply linebackers coming downhill, meeting the guards, meeting full backs when they when one was in there coming up filling lanes. That was something unique and different. Everybody like, yeah, I don't want to hear that. It's something different than last year. Even before the young man got hurt. Uh, these guys were not coming downhill like that and meeting people in the hole and redirect and running back.
Speaker 1: So that was something good to see. Uh Uh.
Speaker 10: I'm excited about about BB. But Happman does have as slight Yeah, he has a slight lead over him.
Speaker 1: Uh Uh.
Speaker 10: They still it's rotating, uh idoga and guiding.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 10: People's looking at guiding and he's doing nice things. But I see as a as a fellow lineman, I see the things that he truly needed to work on that can make him get him in trouble, you know, because Uh, just little things that he needs to work on. So to me, he had a nice day and he's building. Uh what I need a little bit more from Mysia's Uh he has to Some people cannot have an off play. If Mazie has ten snaps, he has to have nine and.
Speaker 1: A half of them, right.
Speaker 10: Uh, Because what I'm saying is, yeah, he still hasn't broken that habit yet of his lacks of dazeriness if that's a word, He's say every nine and then he'll get a little lack of daser.
Speaker 1: You can, you can, you can, you can, you can.
Speaker 10: Catch him off guard, and you can you can hook him one way or the other, and uh, never straight ahead. He's always good with the straight ahead stuff. But you can hook him and you don't you don't want that. Not a single block. Now if you hooking him with a double block, I don't care that leads my linebackers running, but with a single block. So I'm looking at him, Okay, five great plays them two.
Speaker 1: That he didn't do what he needed to do.
Speaker 10: So I'm looking for more consistency for him, and I'm looking for a little bit more consistency from guiding it.
Speaker 1: I'll beg with his technique. That's what he'll he'll he'll want to lean on you.
Speaker 10: I don't think he don't believe that he's strongest what he's so he'll kind of want to lean on you.
Speaker 1: So that's what I noticed about that right there.
Speaker 10: But like I said, the linebackers coming downhill, mazi uh out of you know, just moving.
Speaker 1: Like you said, he got clips of it.
Speaker 10: Where he's moving when he's thinking about it. You know, every every every snap, somebody should be tapping. They stay quick, big fellas, stay quick because if he develops.
Speaker 1: Into what we think he can be, we got something. We'll have something special.
Speaker 10: With Kendricks behind him at that middle linebacker, we will have something special. A veteran with a young guy working like that. So I was excited about yesterday because one thing this team continues to do day in and day out, and they've been here for about a week now, is they're still moving quick. They're moving quick that they're giving coach what they need to have, and that's quickness.
Speaker 1: And we didn't have a lot of off sides.
Speaker 10: All all size was on the defense, all all sizes on defense.
Speaker 1: We didn't have a lot of that on the office.
Speaker 10: So trying to let me know jump on Tomen so that let me knows that guys that guys know what they're doing.
Speaker 6: Absolutely all right, Well, we have something special coming up for you. Next, we have a lot more with Tyler Kuiten. We have a lot more brock Hoffman Cooper BB talk more talking cowboys.
Speaker 7: Right after this.
Speaker 11: Break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a back of black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 4: Today. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cat utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan, kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it. To Bank of America, what would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see equal credit Opportunity lender.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee. This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats bring out the good.
Speaker 9: Nice Pauls for effect.
Speaker 7: Paul's for effect.
Speaker 6: Eat your oats, all right, throw some bananas in it, and some maple syrup like my boy name, No, I no, you do the brown sugar.
Speaker 7: Huh, yes, sir, brown sugar and oats.
Speaker 9: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's the way to go.
Speaker 10: And if I can get, if I can get oatme a real hot we just touch a cream.
Speaker 1: And if I can get.
Speaker 7: All right, boys, we have all right, we got all right. We got some noise.
Speaker 6: But anyways, Tyler Guidon was cracking helmets out there quite literally.
Speaker 7: He broke his helmet.
Speaker 6: He didice yesterday. That's what I mean the pads are on. He broke his helmet. He missed a few snaps because he was getting a brand new helmet. Shouts to our equipment staff for providing that for him being on the ready, but he did miss a few snaps when he got back in though he was up against Michael Parsons. Now, I want to ask you, he's looking like a first pick right now going up against Michael Parsons. But is he ready for the onslaught of the first half of the season, which includes Miles Garrett, t J. Watt, Leonard Floyd?
Speaker 5: What are we thinking as we have this conversation with julat thirty first, No, m as he is trendy in the first week of practice. How darre right, as he is trending, there is a very strong possibility that he will be ready for Miles Garrett in the Cleveland Browns because it's the best way to get ready for a Miles Garrett or TJ. Watt is to go against Michael Parsons, a guy like Michael Parsons in practice. And then when you see Tyler Goutton doing what he's able to do against Michael Parsons, not once, not twice, but several times throughout the reps. Now, Michael Parsons he's gonna get his right, he's gonna win sooner or later and later than sooner. But the fact that Tyler Guitton is more than holding his own against arguably the best defensive player in the league, that has to let everybody know that goutt In has the good. So now it's just about consistency. We're talking about that. You know, our breakfast is consistent inside joke, But when you talk about Tyler Gotton, now it's about taking those good reps, tweaking what needs to be tweaked some of the things that Big Nate was pointing out, not necessarily leaning into your guy, trust, your strength and things like that, and then just building upon that from a REP to REP basis. But if you show me you can do something once, that tells me you can do it twice, and you can do it a hundred times.
Speaker 9: Now you just gotta go out there and do it.
Speaker 10: Just it's all about when when I'm when I'm working with young guys, and I think when the offensive line coaches.
Speaker 1: That I've had in my past, man, and.
Speaker 10: Uh, you what you do is you you you overemphasize that technique. Uh, and then you let the dog come out where it barks at and uh that that's right. That's what they're trying to get them. Stay technique sound because as a left tackle, you're gonna face them bealler renals man, them raging bulls.
Speaker 1: That got baller renal feet out there on them edge.
Speaker 10: So you have to always be technique sound because at the end of the day, that's what's gonna save a left tackle. Now, right tackle, they can get handsy, they can get physical and mean, but at the end of the day, eighty percent of the guys you face are gonna be those quick, fast twitch, muscle type guys and they're gonna be able to spend with with with great uh great energy and explosion. And everything they do is a burst, whether it's a dipping the help, disappearing with the hip, just turning the corner with a low waist, everything.
Speaker 1: Is based off explosion.
Speaker 10: Once they hit that fourth or fifth step, they turned into the quarterback and that's where he has to be good as a battleerina to be able to go back and forth and keep his knees bent, you know, and not lean into it because a lot of times when you're having a good practice, so you feel you're having a good practice, you forget about that technique Like I'm a dog this guy, you know what I'm saying, And all of a sudden, that's when.
Speaker 1: Miles Garrett, Michael Parsons.
Speaker 10: Or the kid from Pittsburgh, that's when they'll leave you standing there exactly.
Speaker 1: So sorry.
Speaker 10: So the technique has to be a very very uh uh with a with a left tackle that had a left tackle and a center those two positions has to be technique mentally tough. Like I saw him yesterday. He made up, he made he didn't make a good play. It was a soso play, you know, And I wanted to walk up to him and say, you're big. You're a big corner back, baby, you're cornerback. And people say, what do you mean by that? Cornerback can get beat for a bomb, come back and get a pick. You can get beat for a sack, come back and have the winning block for the touchdown. So that's you gotta have that cornerback. Look at what your technique was, readjust your technique and let's go play again.
Speaker 6: What about Tyler Gordon, Like, what technique are you most impressed with so far of his play.
Speaker 1: He got nice feet.
Speaker 10: He got he got nice feet, So that that's been the redirect and everything. When when the other day when your boys spent on him and Parson spent on him, and he went back there and there with the greatest v that I would have threw a lot of dudes off.
Speaker 5: I would have threw a lot of dudes But he can't stressed.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he he's doing what he needs to do to maintain and and and like my man Patrick said, just continue to build on what you did yesterday. I'm that I'm that guy that some people are gonna get better. Ass training camp go on, and some people gonna level off, and then some people are gonna fall off the wagon. And what you want is that guy to continue to get better, continue to get better, and to the point where he's a perfect machine.
Speaker 1: In that way when he.
Speaker 10: Faced the miles garrets of the world and other guys when attention, when attension, it's really ratched up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you're ready.
Speaker 5: I think people need to keep in mind and some may may know and have forgotten, some may not know at all. There is one key reason why Tyler Gotton's feet are exceptional. And that's because he's a former basketball player, right. He wasn't converted to football until high school. And he said it when we spoke with him after the draft pick was made. He said that in high school his goal was to be in the NBA. So this is a big man who had been working on his footwork his entire life as an inside the paint guy, right, so he gets to bring that and transition that and translate that to the NFL game. And that's why you see reps like yesterday, for example, Michael Parsons to get off, it's so quick that you could argue that it was off sides in that instance. If you slow it down, what you see was guy in felt Parsons stayed downfield with his eyes to make sure there wasn't an additional block and he needed the block and then had the feats to still be able to get lateral and wall off Michael Parsons. That kind of footwork is exceptional. And I talked to Tyler Smith about it yesterday, and Tyler Smith and this is his quote. I've been truly impressed. It's not that often you find a human being six seven, three thirty who has feet like that and he end quote and he's not wrong. So his base literally and figuratively speaking is exceptional. And like with Big Nate and I are saying, if he can just continue to take steps forward. I had an off the cuff conversation with Tyler yesterday. Tyler Gutton, I should say. One thing stuck out to me. He said, I'm not a rookie dog. I'm trying to be perfect. I'm trying to be the greatest ever. That that's a quote from your rookie first round pick.
Speaker 7: I love that. I love to hear that.
Speaker 6: Another battle that I wanted to touch on was brock Hoffman versus Mazzie Smith. Now we talked about this, we talked on this earlier. Brock Hoffman is not just letting Cooper BB take that center spot.
Speaker 10: He does not alternate at this point. No odoga guiding alternates depending on what the coach you want to see with what group and what This kid right now.
Speaker 1: Is winning the battle. It is early.
Speaker 10: They've been out here a little bit over a week and Hoffman ain't giving it up, and he didn't give it up yesterday in past rush. So they telling Cooper, if you want it, come get it, come and get it.
Speaker 5: Broncks is really like, you gotta come take this, you gotta come take this now. Do I believe that Cooper BB has the ability to do so?
Speaker 10: Yeah, dude, Yeah, dude. I ain't asked you about no ability. I'm asking you, will he take it? We ain't actually about no ability? I'm actually will he take it?
Speaker 5: Then I'm gonna hit you with a date line. I need to see first. You need to see first, and then we'll go from there.
Speaker 1: There we go. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 7: Now this battle? What's more important here?
Speaker 6: Do we want to see more from brock Hoffman or do we see more from Ozzie Smith? Or is it kind of battle man?
Speaker 1: I want to see the battle.
Speaker 10: I want to see Brock put so much pressure on Mazi to get Mazi where he needs to be. See one thing about I think all of us who are sitting up here, uh, we're not quick to say this guy bus this guy because some guys take a minute, and we were fortunate last year to have a few guys that could play that position. But he they're asking a lot of him to this year, so he has no room now to kind of think about it. It's yours go get it, demand that you keep it.
Speaker 1: And we need for Brock, we need for b B.
Speaker 10: Cooper, we need for the guards to have constant pressure on him so he can understand that there's no off days for me, there's no off days for Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 9: I do want to see more.
Speaker 5: I would like to see more of a first team rotation between Brock and Cooper so we can see what Cooper has. But that being said, it's also true that one area that Cooper BB is needing to work on, Brock Hoffman already has more or less downpat which is like shotgun snaps and things like that. That's why Cooper BB is working so hard on snap snap snaps. So until Cooper BB gets that down, my thought process is it is likely the same as Celari the offensive line coach and Mike McCarthy in that him being a rookie, Cooper BB, if you put him on first team, he's so focused on trying to get the snap right that maybe he blows a protection.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, And if you're talking about, like Nate saying, if you're talking about wanting the best possible person to also push Mozzie Smith right now. On July thirty first, that's going to be brock Hoffman because Brock is not thinking about the snap. It's muscle memory for him. He's just perfecting this technique there, but he's snapping his hands up, all right, So think about it in that capacities. Well, I'm I'm confident that before it's all said and done, between now and the end of preseason let me finish, Cooper Babe will have gotten a good bit of first team reps. Does that mean he'll beat out brock k Hoffman effective week one? That's still to be determined. But I am still standing on the hill, and I said this after the pick. I am on the hill that Tyler Gutton will be your week one. Start at left, talk left, chuckle, all right, do you see am I being proven wrong thus far? Like the the young man is really taking strides towards being exactly that.
Speaker 7: That was just my transition to the break. Thank you for smooth.
Speaker 6: Now that I'm acknowledging it, it sounds even better, right, all right? We got to go to our last break. More talking cowboys after this, more to talk about.
Speaker 7: No tur turpy.
Speaker 9: And he's getting people on his on his wagon for that.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to John and the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 1: Would you there, doctor?
Speaker 11: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 4: But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 1: Being a soldier?
Speaker 4: To cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee. Today the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to this Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Raffle Coffee. This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Let's give him the pearly Whites thing. What were laughing at, Nate?
Speaker 1: I didn't give. I forgot because I was somebody distracted.
Speaker 7: He zoned out. Come on, Nate Squirrel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I'm putting the pressure on you now, much like the pressure drill yesterday.
Speaker 5: That's transition, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'll keep doing that all right. The pressure drill yesterday, it was entertaining. I love that. That was my favorite part of practice yesterday. You had offensive defense, first team, second team going at it. One thing I noticed yesterday in the practice drill was a number eleven linebacker.
Speaker 7: Michael Parsoners. Michael Parsons.
Speaker 6: That guy was dropping into coverage as a linebacker during the pressure drill yesterday. Boys novel idea for Mike Zimmer throwing Michael Parsons into the linebacker spot. How do we feel about his reps at linebacker?
Speaker 10: Me personally, I love it. I was one of the last holdouts when he was transitioning earlier in his career, which he is still early, he's in fourth year.
Speaker 1: I wanted him to spend his first few.
Speaker 10: Years at linebacker, keeping those instincts in tack so he could be a multiple threat all over the field. And I just feel I just feel like he if he let this and allow this to happen with enthusiasm and attacking what Zimmer's acting him doing, I think he'll he could be that next level player. I'm talking about my next type of next level player, not the basic fan.
Speaker 1: Next level player.
Speaker 5: W stands for weapon, and that's what I've always wanted Michael Parsons to be for the Cowboys. I did not want them to relegate him to either off ball linebacker or defensive end. My thing is keep him moving around. Make it a game of where's waldough for opposing offenses. And if you can do that, that is going to free up a lot of plays for other guys because Michael He's still going to make his plays as well, of course, so seeing him, you know, drop back and coverage a time or two, I have no problem with it.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 5: If only for the fact that it keeps the offense guessing, and if for that reason alone, keep it coming, mix it up.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: I think back to his rookie year when he was talking about being the queen on the chess board. You know, it's like, you don't know where he's going to go. You don't he can make any move basically on the chessboard, And I think that's relevant for what we're seeing now. Granted he was not Denni. He's an elite pass rusher, there's no doubt about it. But seeing him in Mores on the field is going to result. Like you said, he's going to be a weapon on the field. They don't know where he's going.
Speaker 5: Right, And he's dropped a little bit of weight so that he can be able to do things like that. So when he does drop back and coverage, he's not doing it just for the sake of going through the motions of the play, but he's doing it because he wants to be effective back there and be able to actually cover and maybe make a play. So he's playing at a little bit of a lighter weight this year. He said he feels better, he feels greater, and it will help with his conditioning as the games roll along, so that when the playoffs come along, he's not as worn down, not as tired. So yeah, keep moving them around, Mike Zimmer, do you think.
Speaker 10: This is what made me laugh? And I've told you this several times sitting at the dinner table.
Speaker 1: If you tell me we've had Michael.
Speaker 10: Parson's gonna be sitting at one defense at the right defensive end eighty percent of the game, any coordinator worth his saw say you just lost.
Speaker 1: Yep, you may get your sack or two, but you.
Speaker 9: Just help over there. We know where he's at.
Speaker 10: But if you put him at linebacker down line on which he's done done at all in this short training camp. Now I'll give you a quick scenario. Line him up at linebacker, Devis Evan linebacker. Now you bring up, you bring Jordan Lewis outside. All of a sudden, I'm screaming as a tackle. Trio, trio, trio. I'm bringing everybody this way. And you got Tank over there by himself, easy money.
Speaker 1: You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: You got to take over there by hisself, and and your boy drop out. He drop out, say Parksy drop out. Now you free everybody up to be one on one.
Speaker 9: Come on, man, free money, come on lunch, free lunch.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Now, speaking of linebacker, there's another one on this team that's showing out big time in practice and.
Speaker 7: That is Eric Kendry.
Speaker 6: Now a year ago today, I was here at training camp up watching linebackers and I was like, it's really hard to judge linebacker play, isn't it. Like you're at training camp like there's that there's no full tackles, so you can't really judge. This year with some actual linebackers with Eric Kendricks safety drop down to line exactly. With Eric Kendricks out there, I'm like, oh, this is what a linebacking corps looks like. He is absolutely and Brian Brod said this yesterday. He's as good as advertised. He is killing it up the middle. How do we feel about Eric Eric Kendricks play so far?
Speaker 10: It makes it makes the ring game on both sides better because if a guard a center don't come out and play him right with the right technique, he gonna get up on them and drive him back. Are he gonna give him a soft shoulder and fall off and make the play. So you're gonna have to square up on him. You got to learn how to drop your butt all over again and move him out of there. Uh and so now and all of a sudden, when you when you got a toss player outside tackle play, you gotta get on your horse and run because he gonna know how to hit either the AB or C gap. And so whereas you got a safeists who don't really run run up in there and get that thing, this guy don't mind getting it when need be. I'll give you a soft shoulder when need be. That's the veteran type guy. He knowing the thump and he knowing the plays.
Speaker 5: Off when Eric Kendricks had his first team All Pro season, he did two things exceptionally well. He covered and he went downhill to stop the run. You know what, We're seeing him do exceptionally well this offseason, all the way up through yesterday's practice. Cover and run downhill to stop the run. So I could not be more pleased from what I'm seeing from Eric Kendricks. He is absolutely in top form. He looks extremely comfortable, which just that tracks because he's back with Zimmer.
Speaker 9: There is not an install that he's having to learn.
Speaker 5: He's plugging play in this particular playbook with this defensive coordinator. The only thing for Eric Kendricks is bringing along the other linebackers behind him, getting them up to be as quickly as possible. But as far as what Kendricks is doing, yeah, John wickstyle, I'm thinking he's back.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and it kind of puts things into perspective. Whenever he was going to sign with San Francisco ultimately choosing to sign with the Dallas Cowboys, it kind of puts it in perspective. With Mike Zimmer being here, I'm I'm I'm feeling this. I really am the linebacking corps overall. I mean, if you add in Marvin Overshown as well, and remember this, it's something to feel confident about it.
Speaker 1: Remember this most definitely remember this. Please remember this.
Speaker 10: Mazie is a part of the linebacking Corps. Mazzie Smith number fifty eight. I'm glad he got a linebacker number. He is a part of that, him and Big Roger because they if he suck up more than one block, these guys gonna come downhill with wide open lanes like a running back and they're gonna be filling holes.
Speaker 1: And that is the key. Mazie. You are a linebacker, baby, get off the snap.
Speaker 9: That smell like science. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, watch it, he got some good Yeah, that's that black rifle, Dode. You tell me.
Speaker 7: He's ready to go like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The linebacker play is something to behold here here at training camp.
Speaker 7: It's it's a really night and.
Speaker 1: Day early training camp here.
Speaker 5: I mean, and it's early, and it's early unheralded guys. I asked Mike McCarthy about this in his press conference yesterday. I said, this time last year, you know, you were dealing with the injury to the marve On Overshown. Ultimately before the season was over, you had the injury to Layton Vanderish, who was forced to medically retire. You were in such dire straits on the depth chart that you had to move one of your safeties down the linebacker. You only had one true linebacker that was the Moon Clark. Fast forward to this training camp. We're talking about Eric Kendricks, the return of the Marion over shown, Damon Clark to take the next step, third round pick being used on foul, but then first practice, who got the first interception? Jason Johnson, undrafted free agent Buddy Johnson is out there making plays as well on special teams. There was a fourth down stop in a two minute drill, a couple of practices to go.
Speaker 9: Who made that? Rock Mogensen, Okay, undrafted guy.
Speaker 5: So not only has the linebacker court gotten depth, but as it stands, those unheralded guys they're stepping up and making some plays too. So, like you said, Josh, the linebacker player right now is a sight to behold.
Speaker 10: The first player to scrimp scrim but inside run fifty nine, Morgeson came down and telling you, I.
Speaker 9: Say, roguson brock Leser, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're gonna gi him five.
Speaker 9: He's out there giving five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the beast and Carnate. I'll just drop more. I do want to say I caught this.
Speaker 9: Turfy.
Speaker 6: No, we're making it happen, tweeted us. And I do want to say, you know, all of this said with an ounce of caution, because I don't want to say the linebacker early training campus just what we're seeing, because we're not saying, first everything is perfect, We're going to this game, that game, nothing like that. It's training camp, the season as it started. Yet We're just observing what we see out there, out from.
Speaker 1: Going out, far from leaving this show.
Speaker 10: About thirty seconds, everybody hand everybody hand Interby Turby.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, I'm done. I can't work under these conditions. Chris Pine, Do you.
Speaker 6: Guys want to do one more question? Last question before we end the show. Who are some backup players fans should be keeping their closer eye on in the coming weeks.
Speaker 10: Billy White Shoes Johnson, Billy, that's my man. I mean, I hope you don't let me down. Bro, I hope you don't fall off the off the rails.
Speaker 9: Come on, come on, I'm gonna go with them.
Speaker 5: Let's go on the defensive. So let's talk Chauncey Holston. I'm gonna say Chauncey Golston. I say that because he's going into a contract season, and even before Sam Williams went down to him, they're going to need him to step up and be big. Now they're really going to need it, especially in assistance to rookie second round pick Marshawn Neeland. Saw a couple reps yesterday. Well, Chauncey Gholston looked good. One of the pressure plays on the pressure reps. He actually beat Tyler Smith with a quick ship yes, and got he teleported into the backfield. Now, of course Tyler Smith he got his link back on the very next play and he walled Chauncey off. But the fact that Chauncey was able to at least beat an all pro when Tyler Smith shows that there might be definitely something there as far as building going forward.
Speaker 9: So Chauncey, Chauncey Ghoston, I'm looking at him.
Speaker 10: Number thirteen is Tyron Billy Johnson, it is, And Chauncey is what numbers.
Speaker 9: Us, I don't have my roster in front of me.
Speaker 1: Chaunce chn Goldstein is uh ninety nine.
Speaker 10: So I want to make sure because I'm trying to learn relearn numbers and numbers.
Speaker 9: And stuff has been changing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I want to make sure I'm correct. But I'm telling you, Uh, the D line is moving swift.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, Sam love you, hope you get recover well, But his D line is moving.
Speaker 6: Swift mine for at least for now. And I saw him yesterday. I had a lot of really great reps. And this is mainly because he was on my side and I kind of have to like head in pretty early for practice. But he was on my side and I saw him catching, catching a lot and some athletic catches at that. Deontay Burnett, he just came in number six on the wide receivers. He won't keep that number because that is Donovan wil Man.
Speaker 9: You know what.
Speaker 1: He always try to get the new guys man.
Speaker 6: No, I'm just saying for what I see coming in from the UFL, seeing what he's able to do out here already.
Speaker 7: Granted he's already conditioned. He was just playing.
Speaker 6: Football a couple of weeks ago. I like what I see from Kelvin Harmon as well.
Speaker 9: Sorry about the Cowboys and scouting.
Speaker 1: I'm stinging with my thirteen.
Speaker 7: That's fair, that's fair. All right, we got to head out.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for listening to Talking Cowboys. For Nathaniel Newton, for Patrick nose Walker.
Speaker 1: All right, what we're going away, Break us out, Break us out, Patrick, break us out.
Speaker 9: Turbo, Turple three Turbo.
Speaker 1: We'll breaking us out.
Speaker 7: Talking Cowboys presented by Black Raffle Coffee. We'll see you next time, Black Rifle.
Speaker 3: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.