Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid Verbo. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State? Is that woo woom? And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls.
Speaker 1: My name is ty Hill, the brand joining me as all.
Speaker 2: It's over there in beautiful, albeit blustery and chilly New York City.
Speaker 1: My man, Dan Ripperstein, Sir, how are you? I'm good, but I'm a little bit wistful. Not for the season, although I am wistful for the regular season. But I believe it's one year ago this weekend that we went to Fargo. Wow, has it been a year already? Well, so Colgate beat James Madison in the first round, right right, even though North Dakota State I think, yeah, they had to buy this year and then took down who Nichols last week? Sure, I think this was the weekend. So maybe this was the quarters or whatever it is of the se S playoffs that we attended. And it has been a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I stand by the fact that that was the coldest I've ever been at a football game.
Speaker 1: Certainly certainly had a tail game. It had. It's totally nice inside the Fargo Dome.
Speaker 2: It was so cold outside, and everybody there was completely unphased except for us.
Speaker 1: It's correct, that's correct, and we live in cold weather places. We had a terrific time. And I remember it because the attention of the college football world was, you know, somewhat on the game, because we were being tweeted, because our pal Kevin Brown was calling the game and made mention to the solid verbal and coming were cargo.
Speaker 2: We were running the si dot com Instagram story account. Correct, we were doing that. But outside I cannot put into words how next level cold that was.
Speaker 1: It was, well, the thing it wasn't super windy, so it was just cold, don't I didn't find it unbearable. But as as soon as you started mixing around with people at North Dakota State, everybody's like, hey, you want a club sandwich. Everything's great. You want some bourbon cocktail that we've whipped up. Man, just another weekend here in Fargo, and we're like, we are so soft, we are so very very soft. It was great, It was great.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for bringing up that memory. You can go back on our website and listen to that whole escapade. It was a lot of fun going out to Fargo check out the Bison in person. In the interim though, Hello, welcome to the postseason. I'm Ty, He's Dan. This is the Solid Verbal. As we've been saying all year long, we're gonna be broadcasting through the off season.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean we're going to stop.
Speaker 2: Might not broadcast quite as frequently, but that is to be expected. Over the next couple weeks, we're going to be previewing all the bowl games, yes, and recapping and recapping. Not going to do that tonight. We're going to start up this coming weekend. But suffice to say, there's a lot of content that we have to get through as we get you ready for bolseason. There is a bull pick Them pool, Solid Verbal dot Com slash pick Them or if you go to Solid verbal dot Com, there's big yellow banner at the top you can click through and join it there. We'll also make sure we post it on across We'll also make sure we post it across all of our social channels, but encourage everyone to get in on the action. It's a lot of fun on the Sunday Show. I think we'll unveil our separate strategies for attacking a confidence pool, but would encourage everyone to subscribe if they haven't already.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do really enjoy Bowl season, you know, for as much attention as it gets as being a group of exhibitions and not mattering, and it doesn't mean anything for the next season. It's football on TV when in a lot of places it's very cold out and you might be spending time with people you're close to that you might not necessarily want to be close to. I can't speak to that because I'm very fortunate, but I understand that for some people football and bowl games are a terrific escape. So let's let's all be in this together and enjoy. Like the guests, Spotty, what do you call the gas gas the gasparilla or the bad boy mowers or whatever. Bowl, Let's all do it together and have fun. I like it.
Speaker 2: As for tonight, though, Dan, Yes, tonight, we're gonna go through the mail bag as we are asked if people out there could send in questions. It's been a long time since we did a good, honest to goodness Q and a emptied out the mail bag really covered some ground so we're going to do that tonight. Figured the first show after the season is a good one to do that before we jump right back in this coming weekend and talk about all things bulls before we get there, though, Dan, we have news.
Speaker 1: We do all sorts of new coaching hires. I just saw the most recent. Well, there were a couple of recent ones. Steve Dazio to Colorado State, Willie Taggart to Fau Morris to become Auburn's offensive coordinator. Marcus Arroyo, Oregon's offensive coordinator, is now the head coach officially of the UNLV Rebels. And who am I missing? Chip Long Notre Dame. They've gone their separate directions. It's a conscious decoupling, conscious decoupling. I think that's accurate. Did we mention Ricky Ronnie officially taking the ODU job? We may have mentioned that on the think we did in Passing Yeah, on the last show. But teams yeah, two and a half of our teams. Yes, So we're offensive coordinators. A lot to.
Speaker 2: Come on that front, for sure. Who knows we'll have another surprise this coaching season. I suppose it's possible. But in the interim, we've got a lot of coordinators on the move, and for sure we'll be talking more about the organ of Notre Dame jobs i'd imagine on this show.
Speaker 1: And Penn State job. That's a really good job with how well the Nitney Lions have recruited, right for sure? Do you think that they are going to when somebody sort of asked this, I don't know if this will go right into our Q segment before our a's but do you think they promote from within? Do you think James Franklin goes outside for some fresh eyes? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I would love for them to go outside. Okay, I would love to go outside the box a little bit. There's a dude from Slippery Rock whoa it's really deep if you really want to dig deep in the hat. I forget his name. I should know his name because I've been reading about him all year.
Speaker 1: But about whoever is running the Muhlenberg offense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, Actually, who's ever running the Muhlenberg defense might be the better play.
Speaker 1: It's true. Benn State's defense I think is in a pretty good place. Not the best ever, but they're in a pretty good place.
Speaker 2: Pretty good place. James Franklin's got a pretty good track record for going outside.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's going to outside. Speaking of going outside, Steve A. Dazio has never coached west of the Mississippi, and now he is going west of the Mississippi. I just brought up his his Wikipedia page. He to Central Connecticut, coached at Western Connecticut State, coached high school in Connecticut, Syracuse, to Notre Dame, to Indiana, to Florida, to Temple, to Boston College, to Colorado State. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I will say though that Bronco Mendenhall coming east of the Mississippi and having the success he's had at Virginia has opened my eyes a bit to that whole geographic argument that I know.
Speaker 1: He oh yeahked, Well, I mean, Oregon has a coach who has almost exclusively coached in the Southeast at Askhama and Miami and FIU and places like that. It's possible, but it's just it was thirty five years of me. So that's a long time for an assistant principal like Steva. Does any any other noteworthy topics, Well, the Willie Taggart thing is notable because he's jumping to a good job, a job that's not a fixer upper. Like he's had to do all these times as he gets new jobs, and so hopefully he can just focus on maintenance rather than trying to fix a pro that's sort of been gutted. So I think I'm optimistic that FAU can keep succeeding. No, yes, I think Willy Taggart's a good higher Yeah. So yeah.
Speaker 2: Originally there were rumors that he was interested. Willy Taggart was interested in his old job. USF don't know if that interest was reciprocating. I'm guessing it wasn't because they hired Jeff Scott instead. Right, So Jeff Scott gets a job, he comes over from Clemson, Willy Taggart presumably looking for another job in Florida, he gets FAU.
Speaker 1: Right, not a bad gig, No, not at all. And I think USF is probably looking to build something more long term. And it's probably fair to assume that Willy Taggart's track record indicates he's not necessarily a long term guy win or lose. Now, he might have to be at this point. He might have to be at this point. Not have a track record suggests that there might be concern wherever he might have success. Also, Northwestern hires a new offensive coordinator. This normally would not be huge news. Offense was so bad. It should be noted that they have not just hired a handyman. They've hired a general contractor to come in and really get out all of the warts and the termites. And there's a lot of load bearing issues with the Northwestern offense that need addressing. And Mike Bajakian but Jackie and I don't know how he pronounced it. He was at Boston College, did a good job improving the Eagle offense, did a good job and I know the Tennessee team wasn't great in twenty fourteen, but that offense was better in twenty fourteen than they were in twenty thirteen. So has a track record. I think he was at Cincinnati before that and did a decent job with their offense. So hopefully Northwestern can get that deal back up to competence. Can't do any worse, right, No, it would. I mean I could imagine what a worse offense would look like at a place that can attract decent enough talent. Yeah, I couldn't imagine. So here you go. The only other thing that I have see about Jim Delaney. Maybe talk about it. Playoff, Dan, Jim Delaney will do whatever his best for Jim Delaney. And you leave a big ten team out of the playoff, even once like has happened, then he will He is open. He said something like, you know, I didn't like when they were computers, but I don't know if I like people either. Right, No, he's just keeping his options open. Jim Delaney does not at all look like Robert Duvall. We've discussed this before. Jumbo Duval, though. I think he's bigger, isn't he Probably? Yeah, I think he's protein shake Duval. Whichever Duvall you prefer.
Speaker 2: This one seems to be warming to the idea of an expanded playoff, which we knew was gonna come at some point. Let's be honest, whether you like it or not. Maybe that's the first question we could take because I saw that one on that very topic.
Speaker 1: Any other news before we jump in here. We have Heisman finalists. That's happening. We're recording this Wednesday at five pm. That's happening Saturday. We've had a couple of early awards being given out. But I don't know nothing that we need to stop everything down for him. We have a bunch of good questions here. One final news tidbit, Dan, yes, dam for help any of the week. It's not a normal week.
Speaker 2: We're talking about things as if the season's over, and for all intents and purposes, it is.
Speaker 1: But there is one other game that we need to discuss, that we have to discuss.
Speaker 2: It's Army Navy. It's this weekend. They play it in Philly. Navy is obviously the favorite here being so they were a much better team throughout the course of the year. But any thoughts on this football game.
Speaker 1: I think I feel pretty good about Navy. Yeah that yeah, maybe has been a fun watch. Obviously, they've gotten to be a lot better on offense. They're a top ten d analytics team and just points per drive I know I love that stat. But defensively they took a nice step up as well. And Army has just been a mess. They've just been too sloppy. The game this year is where it's at Philly. It's in Philly, it's at the Leak. Yeah, we got a question about Philly food. Maybe we'll get to Yeah, what's the spread? Ten and a half in favor of Navy. I'm gonna give those points. Yeah, given the points you always like taking in this game. I always take the points in this game. I don't know statistically how it shakes out, but I hate given points in a game like this, such a big rivalry. We disagree. Also, Friday night, three FCS playoff games and I you at James Madison Austin p at Montana State Montana ad we were state in Illinois State, North Dakota State. Any strong thoughts about any of those games.
Speaker 2: I have no strong thoughts at all other than the Muhlenberg Mules at Scotti Baby Scotty Wood Stadium on Saturday. Not sure if I'll make it up, but against North Central North Central from Illinois.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Slippery Rock, Minnesota State, the Johnny's of Saint John's against Wisconsin Whitewater two twelve and one teams. It's a pretty action. Pat my one's on ESPN three, Watch ESPN, ESPN plus whatever. It's a lot of good football. Let's watch.
Speaker 2: We have a bunch of good questions. We asked the verballerhood if they could please send a message to us let us know what your question are. Of course, you can get in touch whenever you'd like. At soliverbleatgmail dot com. There's also a form on our website, and there are also myriads social channels that you can pursue Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
Speaker 1: Did we post on Reddit? We did post. We posted on Reddit a bunch of questions from Reddit.
Speaker 2: So any which way you can get in touch with us if you've got something to say? What is our first question, Daniel?
Speaker 1: Do you want to have the sound that we can play? Or now, congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail? You got there? It is? I like my version better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's go to that right, let's go to that playoff question.
Speaker 1: Let's kick Adam. All right, let's leave here with Adam. He says, Dan has pretty clear thoughts on the college football playoff, but I'm interested in what he believes is the best option BCS or go back to polls. So it would be the old system in which there were conference alignments for say the Rose and the Sugar and the Orange and the people whatever. So I would say, bring back the blockbuster bawl one.
Speaker 2: Obviously, if we could play a bit of the newly led game here my understanding.
Speaker 1: The AutoZone Liberty Bowl, getting the zone right, Yeah, always my understanding of what you would prefer is go back to polls. I think that's my preference, not in terms of it being an actual good answer to find a national champion, but I think it's the answer for what would be the most entertaining postseason in college football. That would also put a lot of weight on what I believe to be the best part of college football, which is September, October, November and things getting crazy at the end of the season with the polls and whatever the rankings. So that's my personal preference because I think I am looking at this holistically and just what would be the most fun package for college football. Because ultimately we've decided that a national championship means something, But does it to like if only seven and a half teams are capable of winning it because of the way they're built and how much money they have to you know, pay coaches and build facilities and you know, travel for recruiting, things like that. Why does the national championship matter as much as it does? Why is there so much weight put on it? Why are we you know, whether it's Game Day or the Fox Show or our show, or anybody who talks about national college football there's this idea of who's your top four? You go on the radio, I go on the radio. We get asked this in March, who's your top four? Do you have right? And there's something to me that and I've explained this in a number of shows, But in terms of the best solution, there is no best solution. If you want to go to eight, sure, those eight teams in that tournament, how many games is that? That would be four to two, three and one? It would be three, it was seven games games, yea, seventy seven games. They'd be fun, it'd be good TV. But suddenly there you get a situation where your ty Hildenbrand, say, Conference championship weekend, is like, yeah, let's no matter what they're not calling out of the top eight. You get more of that, so we have more inconsequential games late this season, which I'm just against.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I just still cannot get my head around your logic on this one. And you're entitled to it, but I don't get it. If the national championship doesn't matter, then why do any of the games matter? Why even play if.
Speaker 1: The ultimate goal?
Speaker 2: If the ultimate goal is not to win the game and not to win the championship. Why are they playing the games at all? Like, there has to be there has to be meaning. There has to be meanings at the end of this and in every other sport and literally every other sport, we're playing for a championship in some way, shape or form, unless you're talking pee wee's where everyone gets a ribbon, which this is not. You're playing for a championship at the end, and we may disagree on how you crown that champion, but the foundation of your argument here is that the championship does not matter. And that's still to this day after years of arguing about this is not something I can get my head around.
Speaker 1: Ty, which year featured your favorite premier league playoffs? They don't have playoffs? Oh sorry, they don't have playoffs. Sorry. The biggest sport in the world is the one exception that doesn't have the kids.
Speaker 2: They well, they have tournaments. They also have a league with twenty teams and they can play each other over the span of a season. We can't do that in college football. We can't do that because they're one hundred and thirty two. Let's do it now. We have talked about our elaborate method for crowning a champion, right, which would occur over a ten year period, everyone eventually playing everyone in a format.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I'm open discussion on that one.
Speaker 2: But since that is not going to be the case anytime soon, we're just going to have an impass here. We will fundamentally disagree on. I know whether a championship has value or not.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, though, how much did you care about a national champion when you learned about college football? You're just hoping Notre Dame wins, right, I care a great deal about the national championship. No, I'm saying now, you do what I'm saying when you first got into football, When you first got into college football, when you're twelve years old, just watching Notre Dame games. I hope they win. I was watching every game, Dan, I was not just watching Notre Dame. Come on, right. But the idea is we only talk. We don't care about other sports. College football is a unicorn. It's the greatest, and it's not the greatest because of its postseason. It's the greatest because of its season. That's what that I would agree with. That I would agree with. Okay, that I would absolutely agree with and so I mean, now we're getting into the importance of that, and don't worry think about let's just treasure what college football is instead of what it isn't how about that.
Speaker 2: Well, you're steering into the whole exhibition side of things, which is what this playoff tried to get away from, right, And I am saying quite the opposite, that it was too much of an exhibition sport for too long and it's long overdue that we have some justified way of crowning a CHAMPI and I'm fine.
Speaker 1: With college football the way it was, right. I fell in love with it the way it was, and I'm even more in love with it now. Oh no way, there's no way. Next topic. Next topic. All right, our next question, and I'll get away for some We have a couple other college football stuff, but our college fooball playoff stuff. But how about this? How much of Lincoln Riley's success at Oklahoma and Ryan Day's initial success at Ohio State is due to having smooth in house coaching transfers? So okay, not you know, transfer in that sense, but are we going to see more of this in the future? Related how likely is Jimmy Lake likely to maintain Washington if not on Oklahoma and Ohio State's level. So I guess maintain Washington as occasional jump up and get to the playoff, can tend for the Pac twelve, you know, once every three years andthing like that. We sort of answered this on the Twoes crews, didn't we We did. Yeah, let's talk about let's talk about internal transition.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the smooth in house transition is important, but doesn't it help to have that kind of talent like they do at Ohio State and Oklahoma. Definitely, like both guys have done a great job, but they also started with presumably that twenty seven mile runway from Fast and Furious six That helps two. So it's a combination of factors for both those guys. There are plenty of instances where a coach took over a very talented team and then deep sixed it over the course of five years. I'm looking at you, Larry Coker. Lincoln Riley clearly has not done that. Lincoln Riley has you know, carved out his own little place in college football at this point, and that's why you hear his name rumored for jobs maybe in the NFL. At some point right, We'll have to wait and see on Ryan d Ryan Day has been a name that's been up and coming in the coaching ranks forever. I would find it very hard to believe that things are going to turn around in a negative way for him at Ohio State. So I think it's a combination of factors. That's sort of a long winded way of saying. It's both it's talent and it's a smooth transition from A to B.
Speaker 1: So even I'll drill down a little bit deeper, and you root for schools in Penn State and Notre Dame that almost exclusively look to the outside. One because Penn State had a coach forever and ever and that ended abruptly, so they pretty much had to go to the outside. Given that situation, then they do it once again once Bill O'Brien leaves to hire James Franklin, who has connections to PA but was not on that staff. My school that I root for almost exclusively looks inside the program, like Bellotti was an inside higher, Chip Kelly was an inside hire, Mark Helfrich was an inside hier, Willie Taggert outside, and then Mario Christobul inside once again, so we have different vantage points as it relates to the teams we root for. And I'll say that there is an unquestionable advantage of just knowing where the bathrooms are, and that's to be taken in a literal and figurative sense. Just there's something about you're not displacing your family again. You don't have upheaval, you don't have You're not going home to a teenager saying I hate you, Dad, I miss all my friends. There is something quinked and tranquil about continuity, just from a personal standpoint. And then you know which coaches you like and don't like, and you can say, you know what, it's been great working with you, but I think I'm gonna go a new direction, defensive line coach, offensive coordinator, whatever. You already have a sense of the players who you like, who you don't like, where you need to recruit better, where you can pull back on a little bit. There is I mean, you're talking about the runway and I think that's exactly it. But it's in every single room of the facility. And you're right about the talent with Ohio State and Oklahoma, and I think to a lesser extent, but still to a reasonable extent at Washington. I think Jimmy Lake should have a lot of success early because programs stuck there are really good. They've recruited well, there are good defensive players. I know they need to make adjustments on offense, but Immy Lake is better prepared to diagnose what he wants to do on offense than if they brought in whoever. You know, if they brought on PJ. Fleck to replace Chris Peterson or Matt Campbell or whoever. And that's what you should see them flirting with double digit wins in these next couple of years because he knows where the bathrooms are.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, I mean it's not a common occurrence that you see a guy who is taking over and is just an instant disaster taking over a good situation and it's instantly horrible.
Speaker 1: Right, Usually Helfridge took a few years.
Speaker 2: Right, Usually it takes a little bit before you start to see that manifest Clearly it has that happened at Oklahoma. I don't think it's likely to happen at Ohio State, but you got to give it time.
Speaker 1: Where are we going next? And by the way, the interesting thing with both Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley is they'd been around. Oh yeah, Jimmy Lake is a Peterson not lifer, but he spent a lot of time with them at Boise and Washington, so his network of what works and what doesn't work is network of a distance isn't quite as large. I still think he should succeed. Next, you get to redo one play this year. This is from Willie Auburn's last second catch versus Oregon. North Carolina's two point attempted play against Clemson. Alabama's one second before half versus Auburn. Michigan catches the touchdown versus Penn State. That's what Ronnie Bell in the end zone that would have tied it. Sure, I believe it was twenty eight, twenty one or something else. I know which one you can redo. Yeah, I'm gonna say Veron McKinley breaking up that pass the Oregon defensive back.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say North Carolina is two point attempt against Clemson because I love the Cajones. It takes to Gopher two. Sure in that situation, go for the win. Almost as much as I hate the speed option play that they ran against a really fast Clempson defense.
Speaker 1: But I love the gumption to go for two there.
Speaker 2: If you're Mac Brown, got a shot take The shot didn't work out, but it was still held a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of people know this, but that play where a quarterback rolls out and a tight end shows that he's in for extra protection, then leaks out to the weak side for a wide open catch that has never failed. It's a one hundred percent successful play on any level it's ever been run. You know, why didn't they run the Philly Special? It's a good question. Has that play ever failed? I have not seen. I mean sure it has. I'm sure it's failed spectacularly because there are a lot of levers and pulleys to it.
Speaker 2: I would love to know if PFF has a stat on that.
Speaker 1: Seriously, on some sort of Philly Special or King of Prussia special, some sort of iteration. That play feels like it works one hundred percent of the time. Yeah, it absolutely does. Footford thought, will Mike Norvel have the knolls above five hundred next year? Not including a bowl game?
Speaker 2: Ooh, good question, Yeah, good question. This is from Michael.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: First off, the non conference schedule includes both Boise and Florida, which are tough games.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think they're at Boise and West Virginia, right and West Virginia sure in Atlanta. Yeah, so they've got those three, which at least two of those three are going to be tricky.
Speaker 2: They also get Clemson. They also get Louisville, they get Miami, both in the road, both of those two every year. But yeah, right, both of those teams should be improved. I don't think they lose all those games. I feel pretty good about seven and five, just solely on talent alone. But I think the schedule dispels any notion of Mike Norvel going like nine and three, ten and two.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a tough schedule. It's what a third offensive coordinator in three years. It's the talent level obviously isn't up to where it was, you know, eight, seven years ago. Whatever, I think they'll be, okay, I am optimistic. Quarterback is still gonna be such a huge issue for me. God, the Sam Howell de commitment, well, yeah, it hurt, that's right, just enormous. I think so. Yeah, I think they can go seven and five. It's it's year one, don't I don't have what Mike Norvell did at the moment in front of me. I'm bringing it up right now in year one at Memphis, but he was taking over a much more successful program. It was a different situation. They left that in such a good place.
Speaker 2: It went a much different situation. Yeah, in five to five in five so look, I like Mike Norvell. I think it's a good move. I don't know if he's got the personnel in place to run the system he wants to run. We'll find that out in due time. But the schedule does not strike me as a cream puff schedule.
Speaker 1: So seven and five right now.
Speaker 2: If I'm betting in late December or early to so whatever this is now was in track of time, seven and five would probably be my early bet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think cam Akers will be back, No, I hope not, for his sake. I really do hope not. I don't think he's declared yet, but it's hard to imagine he won't because it's time. There's nothing more he can really do in Florida State, given the line that's going to be in front of him once again. I'm sure it'll be improved, but it's time. Yeah, I'm gonna say yes, just be on the strength of Norville, but we haven't seen all of his HighRes, so it's it's an incomplete take at the moment, Joshua, does the Big Twelve have the best pool of head coaches right now versus all the other Power five conferences or just every conference top to bottom? I'm gonna say no, Okay, who's better? Well, I guess, first of all, let's define best pool of coaches. I don't know how you would define it. I will offer have proven that they can win eight games in a Power five conference, Okay, as a head coach. So the Big Twelve to me is sort of incomplete. I did Less Miles currently lest Miles won a national championship. Do you have faith less Miles can win eight games at Kansas? No, that's obviously the low part. Matt Wells incomplete? Okay, no idea, right?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Neil Brown incomplete? No idea. I mean we look at Neil Brown, we look at Matt Wells, you know, Chris Climban as people who have potential. But there's just there's too much. I mean, we like, obviously, we love Lincoln Riley, Gary current iteration, Gary Patterson and the decisions he's made it offensive coordinator I don't know. It's not in a great place. But Gary Patterson's track record says yes, he is an addition to a good pool, right it is. It's not the Pac twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what the what the Big twelve has going for it is that it's only ten teams.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's more of a percentage thing. It's so hard to go against the sec you think. So it starts at the top with Saban, who everyone is trying to emulate. Eight mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Obviously LSU had a renaissance here. I don't know if I'm confident in ed Orgeron moving forward. I'm confident in their ability in this playoff, but this is really the first year where he's broken out, so I'd like to see him maintain it. But LSU was an eight win entity. I feel pretty good about that year in a year out. Dan Mullen is doing quick work at Florida. Gus Melzon has been pretty good for a while at Auburn. Winning eight games has not really been an issue, right, you know. On the other side of things, I think Jeremy Pruitt did a really good job second half of the year at Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but second half of the year was a very different schedule than the first half of the year. But yeah, sure, you lose the way he did those first two weeks. It's hard to really sing praises this season.
Speaker 2: Mark Stoops has done miracles at Kentucky. I'm not even mentioning Jimbo Fisher yet. So I just think the amount of AMMO in the coaching ranks and the SEC is really tough to beat.
Speaker 1: I would say the top of the SEC is incredibly tough to beat. The depth of the ACC as down as it was this season, the ACC is sneaky. I was looking at them too. It's not Jeff Collins is an unknown right now as a Power five coach, and obviously Boston College has not officially hired anybody. But in terms of what these guys have proven, and I would put Mike Norvell above some of those big twelve guys with what he's done at Memphis this season leading him to a Cotton Bowl. The Many Diaz thing is the other question. But justin Fuente, Bronco, Mendenhall, Pat Nardoozi, it was okay, but he if that bar is seven eight wins in a Power five conference, he can He's gotten there. Ye, mac Brown has proven it and a Power five conference. He's an ash. David Cutcliffe has proven it all. Dave Duran does is wins seven or nine games, or he wins or loses seven games, that's right in the ACC. Dino Babers has proven it. No, it's not bad. I think just in terms of high floor, I would probably I might have, and then Dabbo obviously who might be the best coach in the sport?
Speaker 2: Can I ask a different coach question than I see here from Joe? Does the hype around Matt Campbell at Iowa State seem to be fizzling? Or is he still destined for a program bigger and better eventually he is?
Speaker 1: I think he's being patient. Yeah, I think he's being patient for Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, something like that, where you know, obviously he's from the Midwest, and I think he will have his choice of a large Midwestern job if he continues taking Iowa State to bowl games and hanging with teams like Oklahoma and Texas, beating teams like Texas, murdering teams like TCU for as many down weeks and weird losses that the Clones will have and you know you need to beat Iowa at a certain point. Their schedule is not difficult in the following years. I think they only have Iowa in terms of very challenging Power five teams, so that should be a nice cushion. Even though the Big twelve plays nine conference games. I think we're just plateauing with Matt Campbell as attractive dude to take over that large program. And that's my point. I don't think it's fizzling.
Speaker 2: I just think the hype has been normalized at this point, and you're one hundred percent right. He is in a position or he can be as picky as he wants to be about his next gig, because Iowa State would happily keep him until he's seventy sure thirty years of Matt Campbell, sign me up. They would take that in a heartbeat. The truth of the matter is, though.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine a seventy three year old with that crazy curved hat, whoa.
Speaker 2: Matt Campbell had an eight and four regular season last year. Last year before that, you had to go back eighteen years to find a regular season as successful. This is not a place that is easy to win at. Seven win seasons are not growing on trees at Iowa State. And now he's done it for three consecutive seasons. So this is definitely still a guy who's going to be in demand when he chooses to be in demand.
Speaker 1: Right. The only thing I'd be worried about. And we got a question about Willy Fritz with this too. You know, how is Willy Fritz still at Tulane? How has nobody scooped him up there? If he does throw in a clunker of a year, if he loses a quarterback in week three and they end up five and seven because of weird depth issues, transfer issues or whatever, then he's going to need a proven year not to stay at Iowa State, but to say, Okay, no, this guy's still good. This guy's still good. I think it sort of happened in Iowa State is not a G five program. But this is more of a comparison to Willy Fritz. Everybody said, oh man, Matt Wells destined for big things. Then Utah State kept getting hurt at quarterback year after year after year, and he would I think he had a great year with the Eggies and like tw fourteen and then he threw in a bunch of five and seven, six and seven whatever type seasons. And it's not that people thought any less of him, but the margin for air is so much slimmer at a place like that. So when he finally did have that double digit, double digit win year last season, then it was like, I gotta take advantage now. Yeah, fair enough, fair enough, he's gonna I think if he does slip, if Matt Campbell and the Clones slip and have a clunker year, he will need that prove a year. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. He's recruited pretty well. I think he has a blue chip quarterback coming in in this next class. It's always gonna be tough to out recruit teams that are that close or inside Texas. But uh, I foresee this continuing for the Clones. So Bucks Guy, that's the name we have here. Bucks Guy. Yeah, requested that I read the full name of this bowl, okay, and.
Speaker 2: He said, I might be headed to the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparia Bowl. Mm hmm, as I'll be in the area for Christmas games in Tampa. Yeah, what is the word on this game? Any fun? Seems like it'll be a blowout. So this is UCF and Marshall. I agree that it will be a blowout. I think UCFS about a seventeen point favorite. I'll put a fair amount of confidence points on this one. All I would say to you, sir Buck's guy, mister Bucks guy. I'm assuming this Bowl game has previously been sponsored by titans in the business world, such as Magic Jack, BFO, Brady's, and BitPay. So regardless of the final outcome of the game, maybe it's a blowout, maybe it isn't just walk around breathe that rarefied era of Raymond James Stadium.
Speaker 1: Dan, can I ask you a question about sponsorships in light of both your comment and the fact that the New Mexico Bowl almost got sponsored by a company that doesn't technically exist or at least we talk in we talk in CPM rates here. What are we talking now? My question to you is, if there is a desperate Bowl game that is sure it's going to sell a lot of tickets, but it still needs a sponsor to round out the books, to cover all of its costs whatever, how inappropriate do you think? I mean, I'm sure there are rules. I don't know if it's an NCAA thing. I don't know if it's an ESPN thing. I don't know if it's a specific bowl that has rules about who they would accept sponsorship from. I only thought of this because Tampa is so I've heard the strip club capital of America. Sure, So I don't think they would take a sponsorship from a strip club. Would they take a sponsorship from if there were some modern equivalent of like Maxim or Fahm, would they take a Hooters sponsorship? I was going to say, would they take a Hooter sponsorship? I think they probably would. I think they would, right, Yeah, I think especially a smaller bowl that really just needs that infusion of cash to cover everything, I think you would do a Hooter's bull Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Dan, this is going to be the best segue ever. As you know, it's an exciting time for sports, but none more exciting than the NFL sophomore sensation. Lamar Jackson is redefining what it means to be a dual threat quarterback. The odds on Jackson to win the MVP race we're at fifty to one to begin the year. They have plummeted, making my bookies prop selection more attractive than ever. Then next week we've got a stacked UFC card. Three championship fights in the fourteenth all highly anticipated, of course, right in the bedding capital of the world in Las Vegas. So people want to get in on the action. The best place to do so is my bookie. If you're that kind of guy you want to get in and win a lot, try Parlay. You can combine some of the big favorites this week. Parlay is going to give you a bigger payout. My bookie's got more lines of better odds for the player than any other sportsbook around. If you join right now, they're going to match your deposit halfway all the way up to one thousand, which means you deposit two, you get an extra one in free money to play with. All you gotta do is use our pro code Solid to activate the offer once again. That is Promo code Solid to get your extra cash from my bookie. Bet win get paid.
Speaker 1: Do you have the breaking news sounds I do? From nineteen ninety five to nineteen ninety nine, Hooters sponsored the Hula Bowl. Oh yes, that's right, Yeah, I think the Hula Bowl is coming back. By the way, Oh, I would love that the Hula Bowl is coming back. According to its Wikipedia page. The game was first played nineteen forty seven to two thousand and eight and is being revived following the twenty nineteen season to be played at a Looha stadium first time. Since it's so, it's scheduled for January twenty six, twenty twenty. So this is the like an all star game. Yeah, not officially a bowl game. Also, Lee Karso did a Hooters commercial in twenty eleven where he was he put on the I remember that owl, I remember that head, I remember that there is connection, there is I want that's a technical bowl game.
Speaker 2: I don't just want the Blockbuster Bowl back. I want the blue Bonnet Bowl back from the late eighties.
Speaker 1: Bring that back, good copper ball, get more people to Arizona. Let's do it. Okay, next question, who do you want to go to? N D Fan? Let's get this out of the way. Oh, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Do you think Notre Dame is a coach away from the elite class like Georgia when Georgia went from Mark Richt to Kirby Smart. It's a loaded question, mister D fan. Yeah, how do you feel?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about this one? Dan? So? We're talking about a top three class. We're talking about a ton of five stars and like seventy seventy five percent plus rkship ratio.
Speaker 2: No, he says, do you think Notre Dame is a coach away from the elite class like Georgia?
Speaker 1: Oh the early class? Okay, I see what, Yeah say, so upper top, wrong, upper crust of college football. And he's comparing it to the Georgia situation when they went from Mark Richt to Kirby smart Well. One, I don't know who that is. I don't know who that coach is that's taking the Notre Dame job, unless Urban Meyer's taking it in a year or two, which I guess it's possible. No, I think Notre Dame is in a place where they are getting good enough classes, and it's just they need to go undefeated, essentially, maybe eleven and one to be in the conversation later on in the season, because as we saw this year ten and two. And maybe this is just me liking, you know, to see Notre Dame cause you adjuta, But do they feel sort of college football adjacent this year? Adjacent? Yeah, college football like playoff adjacent. Even when they were good, it felt like we were never really having conversations about big Notre Dame games. I think partially because big Notre Dame games didn't really exist near the end of the year. Well, they were out of it towards the end of the year, right And so we are not talking about Notre Dame in a well, if they beat Clemson in the ACC champ and ship the like, if Notre Dame were in the ACC Coastal, we'd be talking about a Notre Dame Florida Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl or whatever, right, well.
Speaker 2: And part of that is the way that the schedule naturally worked out. That Stanford game to close out the year six months ago looked like it would be a lot bigger than it ended up being. Definitely, so just the natural rhythms of the season kind of took them in a different direction. But after they got drilled by Michigan, it was pretty much over. So yeah, yeah, definitely down the stretch, we didn't talk a whole lot about Notre Dame. I think it's a fair question to ask. I know that there are many in the Notre Dame world that are asking that question. The caveat, though, is that quote being a coach away from elite is the ultimate white whale in college football. It worked at Georgia, it doesn't work at most places. What state is Georgia located in Georgia. It's in Georgia. It's easier to I mean, Notre Dame is a big national brand and should be able to attract national talents.
Speaker 1: Easier to attract that kind of class and get or that kind of excuse me, that just that kind of talent and that kind of momentum at Georgia than it is a Notre Dame. There is a talent gap.
Speaker 2: A school like Georgia is deeper across the board, slowly but surely. I think Brian Kelly has gotten Notre Dame in a much much better spot in that department. In general, they're in pretty good shape. They're in pretty good shape. I think, as I said all year, they're a quarterback away. I think they can get a better quarterback that.
Speaker 1: Well, now they need a coordinator too.
Speaker 2: Well, now they need a coordinator, and maybe that coordinator will do different things with the book. I don't know, but I think they're a quarterback away, a more dynamic quarterback away from maybe getting to that rung a little more consistently.
Speaker 1: But they're right there, they're knocking on the door. I'd also say it's probably easier to attract a top flight coach to Athens, Georgia. I would agree with that. Yeah, it's a great place. Not that South Bend doesn't have its charms. Athens, george is a great place.
Speaker 2: You have a few more college football ones. And then we'll go back off topic.
Speaker 1: How many years at minimum? This is Minnesota a bomb? This is what I'm trying to come up with, as this person's user name. How many years at a minimum until we see a non Clemson Clesome ACC champion, non Clemson ACC champion. Yeah, and I guess who is the most likely non Clemson? Wow? And how many years will it take for said team? Man? That is tough. It's so you don't want you nobody's nobody's gonna be as talented in the short term, right, No.
Speaker 2: No, I mean the natural answer would be Florida State. Florida State's sort of that natural rival. But I don't know, years away, I don't know. I don't know, probably three years at a minimum.
Speaker 1: Three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Miami's another one that you could throw in there. They've got a promising freshman quarter back do they we thought they did.
Speaker 1: We did a whole thing on Willard, we did a whole thing on them.
Speaker 2: But at a minimum, it's got to be three years for almost anybody in the ACC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's probably three years. I think you can sneak into two the Okay, so we're looking at promising young quarterbacks. I think I see two or no, I probably see three right now in the conference. That's that's the starting point you need. I see Hendon Hooker, I see McHale calm yeah, and I see Sam Howell. Sure, super promising young quarterbacks is a great place to start. I think the answer is bra. I mean, Louisville's defense is far away. That is a that is going to take time. Virginia Tech has a new defensive coordinator, their offense still needs some but you're not going to find anybody inside three years. I think I could be talked into Virginia Tech within two geez yeah. Or I could actually be talked into man if Sam Howell keeps progressing. Sam How's real good. He is real good. You see. The thing is, I think it's going to be easier to beat Clemson by just jumping up and getting them late September and having that game advantage and run the table in the Atlantic, or just finished with a better record than it is to get Clemson at the end of the season and beat them in late November early December. That's fair. So that's why I almost favor Louisville here that if in two years they get to a place with transfers or whatever, Michael Cunningham still looks really strong. That might be why my answers Louisville. Actually, all right, next question, where are we going? Next question, let's go to but we had a bunch of good ones here, did I skip? I'm already onto the non college football. Let's go to Sam Sam near the top of page one. I always like that name. Okay, why should any fan of a team other than Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, or Clemson think their team stands a chance of winning a national championship in the next ten years? And let's pair this question with Trevor, who asks, when, in your opinion does a program stop being considered a blue blood or when does it move to blue blood status? Okay, because if we are going to work under the presumption that you need to be or on the verge of becoming a quote blue blood to win a national championship where you're gonna have to have more depth than you did before because you're gonna have to win two games on neutral sites and big stages. How do we determine blue bloodiness and why would fans outside of those current strong, strong programs feel like they have a chance.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good question, and it really strikes you. It really strikes at the.
Speaker 1: Heart of why we root for college football at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly there's investment being made, there are beat writers writing about the investment being made, and there's no shortage of fan enthusiasm, especially in the beginning of the year when everyone's undefeated. So it's not hard for me to understand how people feel like they.
Speaker 1: Have a chance. So without knowing who Sam roots for, because let's assume Sam roots for a team that's a rung or two below Ohio State, Alabamalysy, Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma, I would include in that because if you make multiple playoffs, you're in that conversation, right, So, what you're a Notre Dame fan, you root for a team that's you know, a rung below. I'm an Oregon fan. I root for a team that's a rung below.
Speaker 2: How do we have a chance we make the playoff and we get a chance to beat that team on the field.
Speaker 1: No, but you know that those teams are operating at a higher level.
Speaker 2: They're operating at a higher level. But you make the playoff, you have a chance. All you can ask for is to give yourself a chance.
Speaker 1: So I think the feudal name nature of this question comes from the fact that we've seen what one team or one and a half teams from outside the general consensus of that blue blood group make the playoff. Right, we saw Michigan State. How did they fare against Alabama? I got smoked, not super great, It was super evident that they were just they did not blow On the same field, we saw Oregon win a game against the Florida State team, who I will still argue that Florida State team was clearly more talented. They were just a mess. And that's my points that's my point right there. But we're talking about an Oregon team who had already been to a national championship, who had been to four straight BCS Bowls at that point, or it was four out of five. It was like it was a year after Chip left. They went to the Almo Bowl in twenty thirteen. But Chip Kelly took Oregon to four straight BCS Bowls, so it was not a matter of them. And I know Michigan State had success leading up as well, but there is an element of not exactly having the depth. As we saw Oregon against Ohio State, they were down too many players. In Ohio State, even though they were down to their third string quarterback, that third string quarterback was plenty good. And so that's the issue. That's the issue at hand is that teams generally outside of that grouping plus Oklahoma, I would say that he named are just not going to be able to weather the grind of going through both going through a season probably undefeated, because you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt with one or two losses and then going through two of those teams. So my answer to him is, I'm going to bring this full circle. National championship doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You went into this season as a Notre Dame fan without any designs of Notre Dame going to the National championship, right, I did not believe that they would be a contender, But you watched and you enjoyed yourself. I mean I shouldn't say that. That doesn't mean I can't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean yourself for them to make it though, right totally, which there is.
Speaker 1: There's the hope. But you shouldn't have designs of it. You just just.
Speaker 2: Is the most illogical argument I've ever heard in my life. You should not root for your team to win the championship. I'm gonna write note that here, Okay, and.
Speaker 1: I should also mention Notre Dame made it to the playoff last year for the first time and didn't hang with the team that was put in front of them. They did one point better than Alabama, though the defense right point better than Alabai. Moving on, where are we going next? No, but my general point is if you view the sport as having a point beyond the national Championship, which I think you should. I think you should, I should, everybody should. And it's great if you root for one of those great teams by all means have laser focus on the national Championship. There's one hundred and twenty other teams, and I think it's totally good to just root for your team to play well. I root for your team to play. Well, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to call it like the hipster better than the championship argument, but it that's the only way I could describe it.
Speaker 1: I just I just fundamentally disagree. I don't know. That's okay, that's all right. I just disagree. Why don't Since we just brought it full circle and we're only having we're only doing a few more minutes of the show, why don't we designate this portion of the show to say, if you came here for college football Talk, yes, get out. That was so amazing of you to download the show and to listen, and hopefully you liked at least part of it. We're going to move on to other topics now. Yes, let's hit a couple of these. And it's been you know what, it feels great to do so ty it does. It's nice. So we asked you to give us questions both about college football, and we also said I think I said grocery stores, meeting your spouse's families, travel for bowl season, which I guess is college football related. I don't remember if it was. Oh, in sleep all things I feel passionately about. Sure, let's start here. Brian says, compounding the joy I felt watching LSU's historic season was sharing it with my new girlfriend from Monterey, Mexico. Money. It's great down there. She will be meeting my large Cajun family for the first time, and that includes watching the LSU Oklahoma game. My question is her English is just okay, and my family sounds like like a sleepy coach. Oh no, just a great way to describe people. What should my instructions be to my relatives? I am worried my family will overdo it and try too hard to communicate with her by talking slowly and loudly to her in English when it will not obviously will not help and only make her feel like a toddler. Okay, So my advice would be to just tell your family, Hey, she's from somewhere else. She's decent at speaking English. Whatever she doesn't pick up naturally, she'll probably get by context clues, and if I'm nearby, I can always pipe up if I feel like she's looking really, really confused. But I'm assuming that Brian's girlfriend is a grown up, and so it's it's basically, don't you Brian treat her like a toddler and don't and tell your family. Just be like, just talk. It's cool, She'll pick it up. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, he has an aster risk here that she understands the rules of football because she grew up watching the Mexican college football LIGAC. Yeah, which he said he had no idea has been around since the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so.
Speaker 2: You know football, football's universal language. There, start there and branch your way out. But no, no, don't treat her any differently man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, you know, maybe if there is a specific relative who is difficult to understand and might wade into weird waters, maybe don't leave her alone with him. Maybe be conscious that group settings involved, so that you have an ear to the wall to jump in if need be. But otherwise, yeah, I if Brian's smart enough to email our show, he's smart enough to have a cool girlfriend, so I assume everything will be good. All right, Where are we going next? Brad wants to know he's going to Japan. I love that we're going international at this one. Okay, going to Japan over Christmas to meet my girlfriend's parents for the first time, ask their permission to marry their daughter. Whoa They don't speak English, so girlfriend will translate any suggestions on what to say. Mahalo Brad in Hawaii. And actually it turns out Uh, a coworker of JODI's who is from Japan but lives here, is half Japanese. And I think her father, I forget, is his half Japanese. But her parents are in Japan married O guy that's from the state, so they have a similar thing. Although I think there's slightly less of a language barrier, but still a language barrier. What's your advice for Brad? Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, you had a much more creative proposal than I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, Would it.
Speaker 2: Be too big a risk for Brad to just go hardcore into the Japanese language right for the next couple weeks, however long.
Speaker 1: And become fully fluent.
Speaker 2: No no, no no no no no, no, A one trick pony, Yeah, just learn how to say hey, this one thing. Is that too much of a risk, because I guarantee you the parents would appreciate.
Speaker 1: It, So I think you are completely on the right track. Tie. I would go a little further, I would say, and it appears, And I did some digging about Brad oh a, right. If this comes sorry, if this comes off as now I didn't actually do anything, I have your social security No. No, I think Brad lists a bunch of different places. Like he says mahalo because he's Brad in Hawaii, but he's Hawaii via a couple of other international destinations. Okay, so I say, steer into his international background. Find somebody at a local university, find somebody on Reddit. Honestly, if there's a verballer who's fluent in Japanese, what I would say, people in Japan who listen. Yeah, that's true. Oh man, what is it? Brian C Brian Jones, Oh yeah, yeah, longtime listener. Maybe get at him. We can connect you. We'll connect here that I know that this is weird enough. We know our listeners. We do know our listeners. What I'm saying is, connect with somebody who knows Japanese. Write out what you want to say. Say your daughter means the world to me. I couldn't imagine being with anybody else. Really, speak from the heart, really go for it. It doesn't have to be you know, paragraphs and paragraphs and paragraphs, but speak from the heart. Figure out what you want to say. Write it down, find somebody fluent in Japanese and see if you can get them to translate, and see if you can really get it phonetically, you know, pronounced for you, and to a video of it. Do make a video of you saying these things to her parents, bring it on your phone, show them. And also, if you can, and if you do get it translated, get it translated in a letter that you can give to them. So that's what I did with Jody with an I's parents. He translated into Japanese. I did it all in Japanese. I actually did it both in Japanese and in a couple of other languages, just to be saying far see and whatnot sure for sure, but I would also include in the video I say this in the video in Japanese. I only learned this part, so I will be unable to answer questions.
Speaker 2: Well, that's an important disclaimer. Yes, that's an important disclaimer. So I get so our answer here to Brad, it depends on how risky he wants to get.
Speaker 1: If he thinks he's going to be nervous, I think you have to do that. I would do that myself, one hundred percent do it. I will not. I would not advise it. If I weren't going to do it myself, I'd say you have to do it on video because it also shows effort. Right, you're not asking permission in the traditional sense like it, They're not probably not going to say no.
Speaker 2: Well, the language shows effort. Regardless you learn the language, it shows effort. It shows effort. Her parents will appreciate that. So whether you do it live and fight off the nerves, or if you decide to go more of the production route and do the video. Either way, it's got to be in Japanese.
Speaker 1: We agree on this. It has to be has to be in Japanese, and we will if anybody's listening is fluent in Japanese and will want to help Brad out solid verbal at gmail dot com. If not, maybe I can try to ask Jody's coworker. I'm sure we have Japanese. We will make this work for Brad. We will, Okay, So I'm glad we agree on that. This was a question that was sort of contentious at one point in our show. Really it was about dogs. Oh boy, Oh not this one again. Oh No, what's Tie's opinion? Because sleep is one of the things we offered questions about what's Tie's opinion on letting his dogs sleep with him. Who has, Dan Klobashar, who has I find it possible. I find it possibly less RESTful when one of my dogs sleeps with me, But it's nice in the winter to use one for heat fore, so well, he's up in Minnesota, so he needs that. Yes, and you sleep next to your wife, who I don't imagine provides a lot of heat because she's just a smaller lady. So maybe your dog a furry presence in your life. Sure, does your dog sleep in bed with you ever? Not yet? But she's just a pup.
Speaker 2: The solid puppy has woven herself into our lives. Sure in such a way that I think we're at some point going to broach that subject. See if see if she's interested in coming up to sleep in the same room.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not as different than bed. Room is different than bed.
Speaker 2: I don't want to like box myself in here by saying if the dog decides to jump up and sleep at our feet, then I'm gonna kick her off because I won't. I don't think i'd be too gung ho and having her sleep like next to me on the pillow.
Speaker 1: Especially if you have allergy issues. That's like, that's three hours of dander right up your nose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a good option, But I think I could be swayed into her at our feet.
Speaker 1: What if we end up going back to a Dakota next year? Right? Okay, we go see the Jacks in South Dakota. Yeah, yeah, and you come back home. Kate's been home obviously a couple days without you. She was like, Oh, the the dog actually really likes sleeping in bed, and I like it. Are you putting up a fight? Are you? Is that what a foot down issue for you that you're like, you know what, I don't know if that's my favorite thing or are you just gonna roll with it? I mean, it depends if I have my spot in the bed right, Let's say it's an adjusted spot. Let's say the dog takes up part of the dmz Ah, I don't know. I don't know. Such a good question. Next question, Jason wants to know, how do you feel about Trader Joe's. My contention is that they don't carry many pantry staples, and therefore it's not one stop grocery shopping, and we have a couple of grocery store questions. Cody asked about if we prefer regional or national chains, like a wind Dixie, Public's, Wegmans, or a Walmart would be a national chain. Trader Joe's is a national chain. Is this decision based on price, service, convenience? Tie? Right? You know you are one stop shopper though. You know my stance on Trader Joe's, right, I know you're afraid. I'm not afraid. That's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: I think Trader Joe's tries to be tries a little too hard to be unique, and people swear by Trader Joe's.
Speaker 1: I know, you go to a grocery store that has a pub in it, a craft beer pub tie. Yeah, but it's a Wegman's. It's a Wegmans. My theory on Trader Joe's do you even have a Trader Joe's near you? I don't know, Okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: My theory with Trader Joe's is that all of the prepared foods have one ingredient that does not belong because they're trying to be just a little too creative.
Speaker 1: So a sandwich with.
Speaker 2: Maybe like turkey and cheese and mayonnaise, and maybe something crazy like peanut butter. Like that's not a good example. But there's always one ingredient that is a little too avant garde.
Speaker 1: Use you're out on turkey peanut butter sandwiches. I am, believe it or not, I'm not going to. Trader Joe's is not a sponsor. I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's, mostly because it's not terribly far from me. There are a couple of them in Brooklyn, so it's convenient. It's large. Grocery stores in New York are generally terrible. I don't want to go to whole Foods, so I like it. There's a lot of private label stuff. It's not like they're making everything. Sure, you just got to know where they're strong and where they're not. But like, if their meat isn't that good, that's okay. There are butchers around, and so it's not one stop shot. But I would argue that many grocery stores shouldn't be looked at as one stop shot. What do you really care?
Speaker 2: What's interesting though, there is a store nearby that I would compare to a Trader Joe's. Okay, And you find that as you go to that store more frequently. You sort of talk yourself into the weird stuff, like, oh, that's kind of that's kind of interesting. Maybe I'll give that a shot. So I certainly get the allure. I've had bad experiences at Trader Joe's, but if there were one yearby, I'd probably go.
Speaker 1: I'm full of a We have a bunch of questions. Somebody asked about the weirdest place I fell asleep an infant, But weird. It's not weird, are the questioner? I think? Is it Kelly? Old friend Kelly, And by old I mean the number of years, not the person being old. Sure, it appears that she fell asleep in a dental chair, which would be tough. I could do that. I've fallen asleep on his playmat while playing, but not in public, not from being deprived of sleep. Other sleep questions. Best strategy for sleep with a newborn You gotta take turns, gotta take turns with your spouse. You got to get windows in. I would strongly recommend not a sponsor, but sleep training. And the one we used is a program called Taken Kara Babies. It's a woman named Kara, and it was great. Little man was sleeping before Jody with and I went back to work. Sleep. How do you accomplish it? Ty, how do you accomplish it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm not good. I'm the wrong person. Ask this question too. When have you slept the best? Is? What has been your preparation?
Speaker 2: My preparation has usually been about five nights of not sleeping.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, deprivation not recommended strategy. Medically now, that's my answer. I don't have a bill. That's your answer. It's that's the best time you sleep. I would say exercise, drinking plenty of water. Obviously we're a pro hydration show. Maybe some meditation, you know, not looking at the blue light devices, your iPad, your your phones, whatever, your tablet's TVs, within like twenty minutes before bed, do some reading.
Speaker 2: There are some podcasts that I can listen to that'll put me to sleep asap.
Speaker 1: But it's the maintenance. You got to stay asleep too, got to stay asleep. That's a problem. Yeah, and breathing exercises. Let's do really really go for it. Let's do two more here quick? Okay, two more quick? Do you want to do? You have any questions that you'd like to answer. Here's one. No, I got one from Heather. Will you be continuing the two s cruse next season? The answer is yes, with an asterisk. With an asterisk, We're not revealing the asterisk yet. That is correct, factually correct. There will be some There will be a big picture show, yes that like we are doing this season, but beyond that, we have no further comment, Heather. Sorry, Zach wants to know where he should eat in Philly.
Speaker 2: Oh man, don't ask me this question. You're you're way more in tune with Philly restaurants.
Speaker 1: I'm actually I'm not that great, but uh, South Philly Barbicoa for Mexican and pizzeria, it's either Bettia or Badilla. B E D D I A are on my hit list. And for a nicer place, zahav z A h A V. I like Della Sandro's for cheese steaks. Nice. What's your preferred cheese steak arrangement.
Speaker 3: I'm not a big cheese whiz guy same to be honest, but I know since it's like the official Philly cheese steak recipe, whiz wit is what I go with.
Speaker 1: MMM. So that's the cheese steak. You get the wiz and you get the onions. Yeah, I would leave out the whiz. I would do like the white American cheese or whatever. It is the closer to food option. I just me. Ryan wants to know if he goes to the Cotton Bowl, so I presume he is Penn State or Memphis fan. Would it be better to stay in Dallas and go to Austin for a day So I guess, fly to Dallas and do a day trip in Austin or stay in Austin and go to Dallas for the game. I would offer, see what we did, ty, Yeah, I thought we did it great. That was fun. You only do the drive once this way because it's it's three hours. But that's again speaking of asterisk. There's traffic, there's it depends.
Speaker 2: It depends where you're coming from. It depends where you're coming from. Austin is not always the cheapest flight, so true, depending on your on your situation and what you want to spend. I would agree with Dan. I would I would go to Austin and I'd make the trip up to Dallas for the game. And if you stan of Dallas and fly out of Dallas, stay in Dallas, flat of Dallas. But if you can fly to Austin, rent a car and drive up to Dallas. The drive might suck, but we enjoyed going to Buckis. We had a lot of fun sure on that drive up, So that was that was a good time.
Speaker 1: Got some in and out. Yeah, this is best burger chain. I'm such a bad person. If not fly to Dallas, enjoy Dallas bone appetite food restaurant city of the Year, Go to the game, hopefully have a good time, and then drive down to Austin, you know, for twenty four or forty eight hours, and maybe fly out of Austin if that's a better option. Do what's affordable.
Speaker 2: I have a question here to close out the show. Okay, this is actually something final question. This is actually something that you and I need to talk about and haven't yet.
Speaker 1: We've long joked that.
Speaker 2: We should do a board of Directors meeting podcast where we talk shop and no one would listen, but it'd be for our own amusement.
Speaker 1: Right, So this is kind of in that vein.
Speaker 2: But you know, since we've made it through a full calendar year, now, where are we going next year for our live shows?
Speaker 1: Where would you like to go? Or should we open it up to people, let us know where we should go. We should open it up to people. We haven't done a West Coast show yet. We haven't. I would love I mean, I've loved all of our shows, the fact that people came in from all over to go to see us in Dallas, DC. We had people throughout the South coming to see us in Atlanta, throughout the Midwest, SUS in Chicago obviously, we've got a lot of people in the Tri state area here in New York. I'd like to do a West Coast show if I had to go back somewhere. I had a great time at Minneapolis, by the way, I would love to see Minneapolis in the summer. It was awesome. Yeah, that was a lot of fun. That was great. It was great too because we were indoors and they had heat. It's great brewery, great food, great pizza. Somewhere on the West coast, LA or Portland or Bay area, I don't know, somewhere like that. And then Chicago's real fun. Chicago is fun.
Speaker 2: See. I have a really hard time with this one because it's around that time of year where we have to start.
Speaker 1: I'd like to do another New York one that's easy for me.
Speaker 2: I feel like I want to hit everywhere. I know we can't, but the West Coast is definitely on the short list. We've had people ask us we'd love to do la let us know where we should go next. There's no hard and fast answer. Soliverble at gmail dot com want us know your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Will go somewherever we go. There will be air conditioning in the middle of August, Yes for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, soliverbgmail dot COM's the email. Can also hit us up on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and on Thesoliverble subreddit at Soliverble dot reddit dot com. Get in on the bull. Pick a pool to bowl confidence pool. We're going to start previewing games on Sunday. The first twelve or thirteen games are going to be on the docket. We'll do our best to run through those. The Bull gifts any oddities around these games that you might need to know, as well as our own personal formulas for dealing with how the hell do you pick this many games?
Speaker 1: Sure? So there you go for.
Speaker 2: That guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubisy for myself to Hilton Brand.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you all on the weekend.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your week, all of your weekend, and the meantime stay sof
Speaker 1: Enjoy your service, Academy and FCF Saturday Peace,