Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was probably prevalent S induced concept change in human judgment. It's one more thing, I'm getty.
Speaker 2: One more thing before we get to that.
Speaker 3: I think we're all iPhone users here. Has anybody downloaded the iOS eighteen yet? Came out Monday? It's supposed to be the biggest update in iPhone update history, and I haven't done it yet. I just read about it. Uh so I guess I'll do that tonight. See how it goes. Oh wow, I do have an update available. I didn't know that. Yeah, I didn't either. And like I said that, they call it the biggest update in iPhone history. So changes all kinds of different things, often in ways I don't like. Regularly they too often for me. Things get changed with all tech. It just seems like to make it fresh and new, as opposed to it being an upgrade. It's just different. And I'm always like this used to be over here, and now it's over here. What's the difference? Well, why when you just leave what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What?
Speaker 3: It's eight Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, it's I've got automatic updates on and it's telling me I can update to seventeen point seven if that's.
Speaker 2: What mine saying, right, it's right below that, Joe. If you scroll down a little bit, it says also available. So I'll just read here this New York Coers story. Apple users already fed up with iOS eighteen for being a cheaters paradise and making them want to throw up. There's something about the new camera thing that said makes people nauseous.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It sounds like one of these things that's a way to get the It's an ad. We always talk about this in the movie industry. They do this all the time. A lot of complaints about the new Harry Potter movie, making people with epilepsy want to throw up. To mention that there's a new Harry Potter movie out right, it.
Speaker 1: Was so scary. Man had a heart attack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this, of course, sometimes you're a guinea pig with these downloads, right, That might be the case here. The cheating aspect of the iOS eighteen is that and you live such a debauched lifestyle if this is a problem anyway, I mean you're looking at each other's phones and trying to figure out if you're cheating. You're already way down a road, a bad road, I think. But it's got ways to hide apps and stuff that never existed before on your phone. So if somebody looks at your phone, they don't know where, they wouldn't see all the stuff that you have. Oh, which is to protect you in case somebody looks at your phone like now that it's not supposed to but from a you're looking at your husband's phone or vice versa, or boyfriend's or I don't know, they don't You don't want them to know. You're on match dot com or something. I guess, but you already got significant problems if you're looking through each other's phones trying to find I would.
Speaker 1: Say, deceit, you're here. Ah, you're probably gonna find it. So I have been sitting on this email waiting to bring it up on the show and just haven't gotten to it, which is too bad because I think it's so interesting. It's from the fambulous Paolo, who writes us pretty regularly, he said in a paywalled article I heard about this twenty eighteen Harvard study Prevalence induced concept change in Human judgment. Reading from Pellow's email, it may explain why we appear to be becoming far more sensitive to the same stimuli than we used to be for one example, we try to eliminate anything offensive, we lower our threshold for what's offensive offensive, as if we're trying to keep the number of offensive things constant in a changing world.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're gonna have to give me an example of this or talk me through this.
Speaker 1: Let me read that sentence again. When, for example, we try to eliminate anything offensive, we lower our threshold for what's offensive, as if we're trying to keep the number of offensive things constant in a changing world. Meaning we have to be this level of mad about five things, and if there aren't five things that merit that level of mad, things below it get promoted.
Speaker 3: I get that, and I've got a good example of that in other world. But I'm trying to think of something. Are the offenses that we've eliminated that then allow stupid or offensives to bubble up onto the list.
Speaker 1: Let me plunge into this and it'll clarify itself, and or it won't. We can discuss in an example relevant today, if we do our best to eliminate racism, we should expect that we will expand our definition of what it is in order to keep its incidents constant. Ironic huh. Makes it a lot harder to deal with social problems when some part of our brain wants to keep the number of them constant. Here is the abstract of the study. Why do some social problems seem so intractable? In a series of experiments, we show that people often respond to decreases in the prevalence of stimulus by expanding their concept of it. When blue dots become rare, participants began to see purple dots as blue. When threatening faces became rare, participants began to see neutral faces as threatening gotcha. And when unethical requests became rare, participants became to see innocuous began to see innocuous requests as unethical. This prevalence induced concept change occurred even when the participants were forwarned about it, and even when they were instructed and paid to resist it. Social problems may seem intractable in part because reductions in their prevalence lead people to see more of them.
Speaker 3: So my example that I've been aware of before I even heard of this study. Having lived lots of different places and lots of different climates, people have a certain level of being worried about driving in weather no matter where you are. And I've lived in places where driving in the weather was actually really dicey, like super icy, super snow. I couldn't see the road.
Speaker 1: If you car got stuck, it's forty below zero, you're gonna die howling winds.
Speaker 3: But they weren't more concerned about driving in bad weather than in places where it's seventy five degrees in kind of rainy. You raise your level of concern about it to the same level both places. So that's the same thing as this. We just have a set point for being offended or worried or whatever, and we fill in the blanks to get there, I guess.
Speaker 1: Right, And anybody who's read people bitching online, for instance, about the smallest of inconvenience, right, I think that's what's going on.
Speaker 3: There could be.
Speaker 1: And you know, from an anthropological point of view, this makes sense because the threat level, well, I mean it changed place to place, and like season a season, maybe in a particular part of the world, but for millions of years, humanoids had to be at this level, you know, at Defcon one essentially all the time. And so now that our our lives are so vastly safer than they were, we got to find something to put in the why am I at def Con one list?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: So we worry and it's not saber toothed tigers chewing on my kid. It's you know whatever, you Republicans or your kid's going to be abducted even though they're not, but you worry about it, right at the same level. Yeah, So more on the And this is thirty five pages long, and I don't think I got Heywald, we'll post this at armstrong and Getty dot com as soon as we're done. Uh, sometimes something is so interesting I'll actually go ahead and pay for it. But the deformation of a solid underload is known as creep, but in the past few years, that term is crept beyond material science and has come to describe almost any kind of unintended expansion of a boundary. Software software developers worry about feature creep, the unintended expansion of a product's function of time, project managers worry about scope creep, the unintended expansion of a team's mandate over time. And military commanders worry about mission creep, which is something I think we've all heard. The unintended expansion of a campaign's uh objectives over time, As it turns out, abstract concepts can creep too. For example, in nineteen sixty Webster's Dictionary defined aggression as quote an unprovoked attack or invasion, but today that concept can include behaviors such as making insufficient eye contact or asking people where they are from. Wow, not an unprovoked attack. Raining blows upon your head, but asking you where you're from, that's a microaggression.
Speaker 3: Wow any plunge on.
Speaker 1: Many Other concepts, such as abuse, bullying, mental disorder, trauma, addiction, and prejudice have expanded of late as well.
Speaker 3: We've used the example of sexual harassment a lot three year when they kept changing the definition from you know, a physical grope, maybe a rape to g your hair looks nice. Or a perfect example would be the whole hunger thing. What's hunger now? It's you might not know where your meal is coming from in the next year, and you count it with the same level of concern is when people.
Speaker 1: Somebody right, yeah, yeah. One final point from again This is thirty five pages long, but the opening part of it the abstract. Some take these expansions as signs of political correctness, and other signs of others as signs of social awakening. We take no position on whether these expansions are good or bad.
Speaker 3: It's the first.
Speaker 1: Rather, yeah, Rather we seek to understand what makes them happen. Why do concepts creep?
Speaker 3: That's super interesting and clearly true.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's a question for you. And I wish I thought about this in advance because I don't want to. I don't want to have like a huge blind spot. I don't think individualists and conservatives are as prone to this.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, right, yeah, I mean, unless you're a fire breather.
Speaker 1: I don't think like Nancy Pelosi is a serious threat to the democracy. I think she's a absolutely Macavelian realist who advocates policies I think are stupid and I would like to fight against. Now, there are people like the neo Marxists who I think absolutely are but I can absolutely make that case. I mean, they've stayed in themselves. They're bent on destroying Western civilization rebuilding it as a Marxist utopia. I wonder if there is, and perhaps they study this in the study. I wonder if they're as a variance in this across various personality types.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but if you dropped somebody from the rural prairie eighteen hundreds into modern life, they would think this is so easy. I got nothing to worry about. Yeah, no highway robbers are going to come in and murder me and my family. And there ain't no Indians over the hill, and wow, this is fantastic. You go to work every day, I come home, nothing happens. Yeah. I.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, they're easily offended or thinking the world's ending if you say, you know, the wrong pronoun or something of that nature.
Speaker 3: Not enough eye contact.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a tangent on a tangent. But I wonder if that weirdly time traveling pioneer would after a while adapt to his new surroundings.
Speaker 3: Probably, right, seems to be human nature, which is weird. We should fight that, Yeah, And like you said, I think people on the right tend to fight it. People on the left tend to embrace it or enjoy it. Being scared as a weapon, use it as a weapon. Very good.
Speaker 1: I wonder if pathologizing, and if you're not familiar with this, Greg Lukianov and Jonathan hat have done some absolutely fantastic work on this, The pathologizing of normal emotional life where if you're sad, you say you're depressed. If you are nervous, you say you have anxiety. And both depression and anxiety have a self reinforcing nature to them, because you can become anxious about being anxious, You can anticipate a situation where you will become very anxious, and that will make you anxious, and then when you're in that situation at snowballs and depression. As anybody who's ever dealt with any level depression knows, it is so inward looking and self perpetuating. The best thing you can do for depression is to get out of the house, expose yourself to other people in their lives and their concerns and their joys, and all of a sudden, you're utter, inward focused whatever it is goes away much more effectively. But to the don't ruminate is one of the things the experts say these days, like some of the modern therapy, where you're constantly, constantly talking about your problems and thinking about them is the worst thing you can do.
Speaker 3: But to the one crowd fights this tendency and the other crowd embraces it. I was talking to a person of the right the other night, and we agreed we have never used the phrases triggered or overwhelmed in our lives, and we never would regardless of the situation. I would never say out loud, especially to another adult, I'm overwhelmed, No way, I'm just not going to do it. But there is a certain crowd that wants to use that word all the time, constantly anxious, telling people how are anxious they are and how overwhelmed they are, because it's like a badge of honor or something like that. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: It gets them attention and love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how triggered they are, how they're being gas lit.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, Whereas I would never want to say that out loud, even if I was feeling it.
Speaker 2: I've had coworkers say that here, triggered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know why. Michael came in for a kick, and I thought that was a lovely contribution. Is I realized talking about the people who are triggered? Oh, I say so again, I'm reminded of wonderful saying we heard the other day. What was the context? Oh, it was the uh uh what's his name?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Jim Carter, the British Committee, and who was one of the things he threw into his interesting stew of thoughts was a gentleman is never rude accidentally, and I don't want to be rude accidentally. There are plenty of people on the right who do answer to the paranoid up in our angry about stuff that is not the least bit realistic.
Speaker 3: Abso freaking lutely see prepper stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, it's nowhere near one hundred percent correlation between conservatism and real life, although there are a lot of things that are called conservatism right now that are not conservatism in the sense that that term has been used for the last seventy five years, so I don't know exactly what to call it. Anyway. Humans are crazy. God gave us too big a brain, less thinking about anxiety, more grunting and running around looking to mate. We're not even mating anymore. We don't know when to stop eating. Time to give back the frontal lobe we had the trial period didn't work. Let's get on all fours again.
Speaker 3: Huh, what are you? Sean combs?
Speaker 1: Back to the past, that's what I want. No, no, no, don't try to paint me, the PERV you sickos.
Speaker 2: That conversation triggers me, Well, I guess that's it.