Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind This is Rob Lamb. Today we are reairing an episode that came out seven eleven, twenty twenty five. It is The White Reindeer in nineteen fifty two finish folk horror film, and it is it's an interesting one. So this is a way of yours, particularly if it's a little hot outside. This is a nice bit of winter escapism. Let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb.
Speaker 3: And this is Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House Cinema we're going to be talking about the nineteen fifty two Finish folk horror film The White Reindeer, starring Miriami Quosmanan and directed by Eric Blomberg. If I may say, I think this is the finest where ungulate movie I have ever seen.
Speaker 1: It may be the finest where ungulate movie I can envision, because the concept to many of you, I imagine where wolf fans uh. To the last of you, I'm assuming you might struggle to get excited for a where Reindeer picture and yet this one is really good. It's it's classy, it's it's basically art house and has some you know, almost kind of documentary vibes to it at times. It's very well done and ultimately makes you buy in completely to this concept that I have to I have to admit that on the surface to many of us might seem a little silly.
Speaker 3: Oh by the end, I was terrified of reindeers. That is that a correct plural would not be reindeers. It's still be reindeer. That's plural, just to say the dear Yeah, okay, but yeah. So this movie is set in the culture of pre Christian Lapland today the northernmost region of Finland, and The White Reindeer tells a story of love and loneliness, of women's dependence and independence in culture, of longing and desire, of witchcraft, of transformation, and of murder. It's got all kinds of stuff going on. So the basic premise of the story is that Pirita, a woman of the north married to a hard working reindeer herder in Lapland, finds herself unhappy with life, and she seeks the help of a wizard who prescribes for her a ritual that will make her irresistible to men. But unfortunately, this magic spell has a toxic interaction with the pre existing condition of her being a genetic witch since birth, and instead of merely becoming the bell of the Ball, Pirita is transformed into a kind of seductive, somnambulist and reindeer version of a werewolf, assuming fur and antlers by the light of the moon and luring unsuspecting herdsmen to their deaths Now, Rob, there's one little random claim I read on the internet that made a lot more sense of the story to me after I read it. I don't know this is true, but it seems likely given the story here. It's not explained in the story itself, but apparently the Sammi people, whose culture is depicted in this story. Among the Sammi people, it was a common folk belief that there was something special about a white or albino reindeer, and if you could catch a wild white reindeer, it would bring you great fortune.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does help flash things out a little bit.
Speaker 3: So the white reindeer has a kind of interesting release history. I was reading a bit about it in a book called one hundred European horror Films edited by Stephen J. Schneider, and apparently it's nineteen fifty two debut in the Finnish capital of Helsinki happened during the summer Olympics in Helsinki, which resulted in what the author calls near vacant screenings. Nobody was gone to see it, but so not a good way to start. But it caught on domestically after this in a second run later that summer or maybe in the fall, and it started getting good press and would eventually become something of an international hit, receiving a number of awards, including at the con Film Festival. We'll get into more on that later, but it's kind of interesting that this was a sort of sensation at the time, and I think for most of my life I'd never even heard of it. I never became aware of it until just recently.
Speaker 1: I was not aware of it until you texted me over the weekend and said, I have chosen for this week it's the White Reindeer. And at the time I was like, of course, you know. One percent. I'm like, all right, let's do that, Let's do the White Reindeer. But I was also thinking this is an interesting summer choice. But of course we just did a core stuff to Blowy Night episode on skiing, so it's not out out of keeping with us to do something that seems seasonally opposite. But oh, ice skating, Yeah, ice skating, Sorry, not skiing. We haven't done skiing yet, but we should skiing.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of skiing in the movie.
Speaker 1: Seeing But now that you mentioned that this originally came out in the summer, it is fitting that we're talking about it in the summer.
Speaker 3: I mean, I happen to personally love counter seasonal programming, yet you know that's just me. Now, I think it could be interesting to compare this film to other Rare Beast movies we've covered on the show, But maybe we should come back to that later or just as it occurs to us throughout. One thing I do think we should talk about briefly at the top is this movie's visual stylistic virtue. As many reviewers mentioned this as a real highlight of the film, the bold, stark way that it looks. It was shot on location in real snowy landscapes of northern Finland in Lapland, and so you get these the fells, you know, these kind of like like low sloping or rounded mountaintops or hilltops, many of which are bear some of which have just kind of, I don't know, sad looking like snow covered tree limbs poking out.
Speaker 1: Like every portion of the tree, trees iced over in ways that those of us in more southern climates scarcely can imagine. Like it looks almost Sussian, you know, the way these trees are iced over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true Arctic strangeness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jack Frost hit this landscape hard.
Speaker 3: But also like herds of reindeer stretching to the horizon in some shots, those are quite striking. And then these little and then the way that the movie deals with both absolutely empty expanses and then these little closed boxes in the homes. You know that. So you'll go out in this field and it's just like seeing far to the horizon and there's nothing there but a few like you know, leafless shrubs or this, you know, this train of animals just stretching over the horizon and there's like nothing else to see. But then you arrive at the Wizard Shack and you go inside and it looks like it's about like eight feet by eight feet. Inside it's like tiny but crammed with evil magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that you mentioned it that way, it reminds me of some past discussions we had on the on the Core and stuff to blow your mind episodes about the art of Tibet and like interior spaces in Tibet, interior sacred spaces versus the exterior world where you have like huge sky and sweeping vistas. And we have a similar vibe going on here, you know, with these these little enclosed off in you know, very dark, cozy spaces, and then outside it's just like a white wasteland, but in the most beautiful sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these things filmed in a way that is both frightening and beautiful.
Speaker 1: If we haven't mentioned it already, this is a black and white film, which, especially in these shots of the of the landscape, it seemed very fitting. You know, everything is very very white, and the shadows have this depth to them, and then the indoor scenes, especially at night, also feel it feels appropriate. I will say there are a few scenes of just sort of normal everyday life or celebration within the community that I kind of wished we could have seen in color because I feel like those were Yeah, I just kind of wanted to see the colors there, but on the whole, yeah, the black and white, and this is absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 3: I just realized there's really no way around it. But we're gonna say the words reindeer and snow so many times in this episode. I was just like going through my notes trying to think of synonyms, so I wasn't repeating myself so much. But in a way it's fitting because this movie is just it's just plowing straight into your brain with reindeer and snow. There's so much of both.
Speaker 1: Most of the location is snow, and there are far more reindeer in the picture than human beings. It's it's just a fact. There's just so many reindeer on the screen at different points. But in a way that is again, it feels very when you see people interacting with the reindeer. When you see it feels almost like a documentary, like a snapshot of life. There's not a sense of like, all right, let's get the reindeer wrangler out there so it can get this shot like this, This film feels very real.
Speaker 3: I believe the director of it had made documentaries and maybe even on this subject right correct.
Speaker 1: His first short picture as well. We'll discuss here in a minute, was about the Lapland reindeer herders, So it's yeah, it's very fitting. I should also point out that this film is in many spaces very light on dialogue. It has almost a silent film sensibility.
Speaker 3: That's notable in multiple ways. It does contribute to the mood of the film, because there are long silent stretches where there's just music, no talking in between the dialogue scenes, and that I think that does contribute to the kind of lonely, eerie feeling that they're attempting to conjure, especially when we're just alone with Perita. Yeah. But in addition to that the lack of dialogue, it shows a real what seems to me to be a conscious choice of narrative restraint that keeps many things about characters, motivations and thoughts a mystery very different than I think most other movies at this time would have done.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: I feel like if this same kind of subject had been approached by an American filmmaker at this time, there would have been a lot more voiceover explaining the interior thoughts of characters of perioda and aslock. But we don't get that so very often we're just sort of left wondering what they're thinking about what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has a very European art house sensibility in that respect. And yeah, and there will be no transformation scenes in this in the way that you get them in a certainly American and many your pen examples of ladder monster movies and so specifically wear Wolf movies. But then again, you don't need a transformation scene for a great shape shifter.
Speaker 3: Movie, that's right, I mean, And in fact, this movie it doesn't really have a lot in the way of special effects, but it doesn't really need them because the way it handles its subject matter is just very natural and graceful.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: So, there's a character who transforms into a reindeer in these in these murder scenes, and you'll see her just sort of leap out of frame, and in the next frame, the reindeer leaps into frame. It's a very simple way to depict this kind of transformation without showing it in frame, and it works just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this reminds me, I want to mention really quickly. When I was looking up the reviews on letterbox for this film, one of the people I followed, John from Video Drum here in Atlanta made the comment, somehow this is one of those low budget or enormous budget watching experiences which I can totally I can totally feel, because again, I think a lot of it has to do with that naturalistic vibe, this kind of like documentary feel to it. At times, you can feel like, well, all they did was turn on the camera and this is just this is just what it is there, this is life. But then again, when you start thinking about, like you know, any documentary about filmmaking you've seen, like, no, maybe this was absolutely an enormously expensive picture. It's just hard to tell, especially you know, being so far from this environment.
Speaker 3: And from this time, I agree that it feels that way. Though I guess we should just flag that I don't necessarily want to vouch for this film's cultural authenticity and how it depicts the Sami culture and all that, because I don't really know how well it captures that. I didn't find sources addressing this. It clearly is trying. It seems to me to be trying to capture a kind of cultural authenticity, but I don't know how well in reality it actually did that.
Speaker 1: Right, we can point to other examples from the nineteen fifties and different cinema traditions where there's there's not a lot of finesse shown in that sort of cultural depictions. So yeah, we would. I think it's reasonable for us to have a healthy amount of skepticism, all right. You know, I don't know if this had a trailer, or if whatever kind of trailer it originally had in Finland, if it exists online anywhere, we may air just a little bit of what I think is a modern trailer for it that Eureka Entertainment put out. Eureka Entertainment is responsible for what I believe is the main Blu Ray option for this picture. I did not watch it on this Blu Ray. I streamed it. It's widely available for streaming wherever you get your streaming pictures. But it looks like the Blu Ray is a really nice package with a number of extras.
Speaker 4: Oh tears in Sinu two level and many you are more.
Speaker 5: Zero two level sil say the lench and line and yellow and an old Toyo car too, lever star on the Malayah.
Speaker 3: You beca a boy?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's let's get into the cast and crew here a little bit, and I always want to apologize for any pronunciation errors with names and such. We haven't done really any finish films before. We've done some Russo finish co productions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this Rose is a Russo finished thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is I think this is our first like purely finish film from the golden age of Finnish cinema. I'm to understand, and I want to note I'm going to refer several times to the Juicy Awards, JUSSI. There may be more USY Awards. They're essentially like Finnish Academy Awards, and I think maybe there's a little Emmy energy in there, because I think they also recognized television projects or at least came to at some point. They've been held since nineteen forty four, and so I'm going to refer back to them several different times here. Okay, So the key individuals, as we've already noted, are going to be Eric Blomberg, who is it did as the director, one of the writers, certainly the cinematographer and also the editor, as well as his wife mir Jammi Kuzmanin, and she is our star. She is also credited as one of the writers. But I was reading about her specifically on a website called Nordic Women in Film dot com and in this this write up they mentioned just how closely these two work together on their projects. I think the quote is from one of them, is that when it came to projects they worked on, you would have to use a pair of tweezers to separate what each one did. So this division of labor here we get is in many ways maybe just a reflection of what their backgrounds were. Her background wasn't acting. His background was in cinematography and was behind the camera, and therefore they're credited as such. And it's also been pointed out that there were very few female directors in Finnish cinema at the time, so maybe that was another reason that her name wasn't at the top. But like they work so closely together, just keep that in mind as we're talking about these divisions, because it seems like this whole project was a collaboration.
Speaker 3: Right, so it should be kind of thought of as that them as co filmmakers.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and they were very open yeah about this. So let's start with Eric. Though he lived nineteen thirteen through nineteen ninety six finish cinematographer, producer, screenwriter and director. Not to be confused with a Swedish poet of the same name. This Blomberg started off as a cinematographer with credits going back to nineteen thirty six, and he was a producer from nineteen thirty eight onward. His first directorial credit was a nineteen forty seven documentary short titled with the Reindeer, about the reindeer of Lapland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as we alluded to earlier, that is not surprising if you've seen the film that he had shot documentary footage about reindeer herding or about reindeer in general. There is a I don't even know how to identify what the the points leading to this impression are, but there's just a feeling of familiarity with the subject, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, and it was well received. This documentary short won a Ucy Award. I'm gonna go ahead just say ucy instead of juicy, just because it sounds better to me. But that may also be incorrect, Okay. He followed this short up with a handful of additional shorts before tackling this his first feature length film, again a collaboration with his wife. She co wrote it, and again that you'd have to use a tweezer to separate what they were each working on in their own words. As you pointed out, nobody seemed to go to see it at first because they released it during the summer Olympics, but then it began to pick up steam domestically and then ultimately was very well received internationally. Not only did it earn them a uc for cinematography, it was nominated for the Grand Prize of the cons Film Festival in fifty three and it won in its fairy tail film categor which excited me and I had to research this. I'm like, what else won? What else was nominated? I don't think this category existed previously or afterwards, so I'm not sure what the story is here. If they invented a category to honor this film, which if that's the case, great, this film totally earned it, or if they were like, yes, fairy tale films, they need their own category, and then it just they decided not to keep doing it. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I'm getting out of the pitchforks. Bring it back, Bring it back to the con judges, we need a fairy tale film category, do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe you'd encourage even more fairy tale films. I don't think we have enough of them. So Blomberg followed this up with a handful of feature link films, some more short works, and finally a couple of TV movies in sixty six and sixty eight. Of these, his nineteen fifty five film Killouse also won a UCY for cinematography. But The White Reindeer I believe, remains his most well known film, certainly internationally, and continues to resonate not only as an example of cinema during from the golden era of Finnish cinema, but also as a rich entry in Global full car.
Speaker 3: I've read that Blomberg did not do a lot else in this sort of magical category.
Speaker 1: Right, that's I'm to understand that as well. Looking at his other pictures, I don't think anything else could qualify as you know, specula as having a speculative elopment.
Speaker 3: Okay, but that was Eric Blomberg. Let's talk Miriami Kosmanan Yeah.
Speaker 1: So. Kospannen lived nineteen fifteen through nineteen sixty three. She plays our witch reindeer, Finnish actress, writer and longtime wife of Eric Blomberg. I was reading her this profile of her in her work on Nordic women in film. They point out that she was like a real wild child as a kid, like she played played sports with the boys, she loved swimming and fishing. There's some story about her putting out a fire in their house. So yeah, she seemed to be a real spirited individual. And she was active from thirty seven through fifty six, and they're a good I think dozen collaborations between her and her husband. She is often credited as a writer and sometimes she is an actress. But this film, in particular, I'm to understand, was a case where it was at least partially inspired by a dream she had of a woman turning into a reindeer. And I think it's also, you know, as we'll discuss, based on some existing bits of folklore and Bret and Sagas and so forth, but also there's a dream element something that you know, that emerges personally from her. There's also a quote in that article about how like they had a unified vision for this picture and that they each could see every scene before they shot it. So she's a really beautiful thought, I.
Speaker 3: Think, especially for a film that has deadly premonitions within it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah that they Yeah, they saw the vision together. Other notable films of hers include nineteen thirty eight's The Song of the Scarlet Flower, which, like much her filmography, was a romance drama. Again, I don't think there are any other films in her filmography that you could think of as being horror, fantasy, or certainly sci fi. I think The White Reindeer stands alone. She won a uc for Best Leading Actress for her role in The White Reindeer. And Yeah, she's amazing in this. It's a captivating performance. You know, she's often silently channeling these intense feelings of loneliness, of love and hope and eventually other worldly power.
Speaker 3: She really carries the film. I mean, it is her burden to carry, and she takes it up that snowy hill. We spend huge amounts of the movie just alone with her, with nobody else, and even in scenes where she's with other people, often it's just sort of the audience in her and the other people are kind of peripheral. Yeah, and so we have and it's a really interesting way to render a protagonist in this way because we our main relationship is with her, and we spend all this time with her. But also she remains so mysterious through the entire film, and we even at the end of the story, I think there are many questions we can still have about her that aren't really answered directly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know, ultimately she gets some great Dracula moments and in a sense it's going to follow some the trajectory you might expect from a werewolf picture. But yet at the end there's not this feeling of Welp, she was a monster and thank goodness we killed her. It feels a lot, a lot sadder than that. Yeah, it's very it's tragic. Yeah, it's more. If I'm going to compare it to just an easily referred to werewolf picture, reminds me maybe a little bit of American Werewolf in London, like that kind of vibe where it's it's yeah, the monster's dad, but we don't feel great about it.
Speaker 3: I would say, yes, but it's even more tragic than that, because of course, you know, she has to be killed by the man she loves, uh, and he doesn't even know it's her. So it's just tragedy all around. And then there's an even more kind of bleak layer, which is that the guy an American werewolf in London. He's just had bad luck, wrong place, wrong time. He was out on the moor and he got scratched. He got bitten by a werewolf. That's no good. She It seems that our main character here is doomed from ages past. She was like doomed before her birth to this life of unnatural witchcraft. And it's like there is something that the other characters recognize about her that is evil, but it's almost like it's an evil that is not of her choosing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's an Yeah, it's fascinating. We'll have more to say about this character and this performance as we proceed, but let's move on to Aslek. This is Parita's young reindeer herger husband, played by Finnish actor and TV director Kalervo Neicilla, who lived nineteen thirteen through nineteen ninety seven. I say young reindeer herder husband. The actor was I believe like forty here, and you know, kind of looks like a forty year old guy. But I have to say he has a very sympathetic face. It's a good performance. And while you could argue, well, he looks maybe a little older than he should be, and this is not unique to this film. We see this in all sorts of pictures, just in every decade. But I ultimately kind of liked the fact that he looked a little older. Yeah, and she does two in certain scenes, because I kind of got this perhaps accidental vibe of them both being slightly older members of the community who just hadn't found love yet until now for various reasons.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's interesting. I didn't really think of it that way. I guess I interpreted. I mean, he does look older than I think he's supposed to be. Just based on the narrative, I would have guessed these characters are both supposed to be like twenty or something. Yeah, and they're actually both I guess in their you know, thirties or forty. But you could buy it, I think, especially with Aslac, because he's like he's a reindeer her. I mean, he's out there in the weather, like he's getting you know, the snow's beaten on him every day. You can imagine, Yeah, you'd imagine that he would look distinguished and mature even at a younger age. And he does. And so he has a kind of rugged handsomeness but also kind of a baby face at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. Like I say, he has a very sympathetic face. That works well here. Now, someone who does not have a sympathetic face is the character Messena. I'm probably not saying that correctly. This is a like a forester who shows up the ranger.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has a real threatening air to him. I was looking at him. He's an interesting character. Played by Aki Lindman, who lived nineteen twenty eight through two thousand and nine. He was a professional Finnish football player turned actor and eventually writer and director. He started acting I Believe in nineteen forty nine, started directing in sixty one, and was active behind the camp until two thousand and seven and in front of it till two thousand and three. He won a Ussy for acting in fifty six for The Unknown Soldier. He won one for directing in nineteen eighty eight, and then he received a Lifetime Achievement Award in two thousand and eight. His various credits include nineteen fifty nine's Moonwolf, which is a rocket movie, a werewolf movie, nineteen seventy seven's Telephone, nineteen eighty one's Reds that's directed by and starring Warren Beatty. I haven't seen Reds, but that one is filmed on location in Finland, so you had some Finnish actors appearing in some smaller supporting roles. And then he's also in a nineteen eighty eight film called The Moon God.
Speaker 3: Wait, he was in Moonwolf and Moon God. Yeah, unrelated films.
Speaker 1: Though unrelated decades apart, different I can't remember. I think The Moon God might have a speculative element to it, but it's not a rocket movie. Moon Wolf is a nineteen fifties rocket movie.
Speaker 3: Does seem like a coincidence. How many movies are like Moon now? And how many would there be?
Speaker 1: Lots? Yeah, okay or something moon?
Speaker 3: There are lots of like yeah, death moon, that's right, We've covered some on the show. Yeah. I feel like modifier moon is more common than moon noun.
Speaker 1: Probably so in the long run, all right. We also we mentioned that there's a wizard. May we'll get into this. Maybe he's more of a shaman, but in the subtitles he does call himself a wizard. This is the character Salkunila, played by r Vo Alesma, who lived nineteen oh one through nineteen seventy three, Finnish actor who seems to have worked a lot in supporting roles. And he's really great in this, playing this kind of kind of drunken wizard or shaman that lives in a hut. I would say, out at the edge of the town. But there's not really a town so much, but he's kind of out on the outskirts of the outskirts here.
Speaker 3: The scene in his hut is really interesting. I'm excited to talk about that later, especially for the way like the tables get turned. Like in his scene, Parita arrives and it's like he's the scary one, and she's kind of supplicant and she's like, oh, what's it going to be like here, you know, meeting the shaman. But then by the end of the scene the tables are completely turned and like she is scary and he is scared of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And finally, the composer for this was Einar England who lived nineteen sixteen through nineteen ninety nine. A finished composer, he won a NUSI Award in fifty two for this score, which I think I'm on the whole feels very much of its time, but I think it gets nicely dramatic as the film progresses.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think the music's wonderful. I think it really underscores the drama very well. There's these certain themes that recur when, like when Pirita is losing her mind or when she's sort of going to another place, we get this nice uneasy these chords come up. Yeah, and there's some dissonance and there's sort of a theme of the stone God. When we get to that, really good, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's when it its best. There's some early parts where it's there are a lot of horns and it maybe feels a little fashion, you know, from a bag. Yeah, But when it gets into the darker and more dramatic parts, the composer totally brings it here. And I should also add that the film also makes great use, particularly in one segment early on, of what I take to be authentic folk songs, which adds nice flavor.
Speaker 3: All right, are you ready to talk about the plot.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: We open on a shot of a winter landscape covered in snow, striped with lines of bear trees and shrubs stretching to the horizon, and then at the horizon we see these fairly low, gently sloping mountains in the distance, and in the foreground we see a pair of forked reindeer antlers belonging to an animal whose head is below the frame. And then standing next to the reindeer, there's a person facing away, dressed in furs, and there's music. The music is just a woman's voice singing an eerie, high pitched melody that sounds cold. You know what I mean, Like this music, like it makes you want a blanket.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: As we pan away from the reindeer and the person over the landscape, a title comes in to tell us that this is a story from Lapland, and we get the title telling calling it the White Reindeer, Valcoyne and Peura. After the credits, a new song begins, and this one sounds like a folk song, also sung by a single woman's voice, and the lyrics are little girl child of Lapland, born in a snowdrift. And then here we see there's like a shot of the sky and it's very strange and beautiful. There are these gray clouds and there's like a glare of the sun piercing through the cloud. Yeah, and the song goes on saying grew to girlhood straw stuffed shoes like a reindeer dough. And then we see wind blowing over the top of a deep snowfield with these black tree limbs barely peeking out of the drifts. And this is something that the director they will the directors will like to show you again and again is shots of a snowy field with wind blowing and the blowing snow like these sort of these sheets of snow being picked up off the top of the field and then blowing along. They look like curtains being dragged across the land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a real visual poetry to these scenes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The lyrics to the song go on, she did not know as a child, nor when she was married, that she was born a witch, evil in her belly. And then we see wolves running in the snowfields and a woman on skis with a long stick as a push pull. She's going alone over a hill, looking exhausted and pain She's facing down the wolves that are running from across the field. You don't know, are they threatening her, are they running with her? What's going on, but then the lyrics continue. They say, she offered to the stone god to modern Aca, she gave a white fawn, then ranged the fells as a deer till the appointed hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was reading that this modern Aca was like a traditional goddess, that is, a goddess of the earth, of goddess of the beginnings of life, a protector of children as well.
Speaker 3: And then eventually the woman approaches a conical structure in the snow. I think this is supposed to be a sami lavu, which is kind of similar to a North American teepee. It's a conical shelter made with poles braced against one another, and then it would be covered in reindeer hides. Inside this structure, you've got people gathered together cooking a meal, and one of them sees the woman coming outside and pokes her head in to tell the others. And then the woman comes inside the lavo and collapses, and the lyrics go on to say iron pierced the white dough. Then the lap girl slept chill shawl for a coverlet snow drift for a pillow. And inside the lavo we see a baby next to the woman, so it seems she's given birth, and then an elder figure in traditional Sami clothing holds the baby, and I think it's implied that the mother dies here. It wasn't exactly clear on that, but I think she's supposed to die. And then afterwards we pull out to another landscape shot of a massive, steep, lonely hillside covered in snow, and again just the wind blowing sheets of frost over the top of the pack. And then that's the end of the opening montage. The whole thing is very I don't know, it's got a light touch, but it's also a good bit haunting. And so we cut ahead in time after that to a very different Now the image is sharper and the music is more lighthearted, and we see lots of people gathered for what looks like some kind of winter games or festival. Throughout this movie, you will see a common form of individual transportation in this region, which is a person riding in a kind of ground level sled pulled by a single reindeer. So when we say sled, don't imagine like a big, high up sleigh like often people are just sort of lying back in this sled. There's basically right there on the top of the snow with a single reindeer pulling them. And in this scene we see lots of happy people being pulled around, pulled all around, and crowds gathered. These people are lying back in their one seat reindeer sleds. You got dogs running around barking, and we see reindeer herders in their traditional clothes standing around, just cruising the vibes.
Speaker 1: Now, did we mention this already? If not, I want to drive home that I don't think this is supposed to take place in the nineteen fifties, but I don't know when exactly in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question. So I read online sources saying this is supposed to take place in like pre Christian times or that, you know, So this would make me think, you know, at least hundreds of years ago. But also, like the character one character has a fairly modern looking rifle. And there's another scene where characters are in a building that I don't know, looks to me kind of like a Christian church, and they may seem to be attending maybe church, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what's happening there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Likewise, like the shamanistic traditions and the old religion don't feel as old and as removed from the people, which doesn't necessarily bin in exactly when this would be. But yeah, so it's hard to nail down.
Speaker 3: I truly, yeah, I truly don't know when this is supposed to be set. But certainly, like the characters don't have TVs or anything, right, Yeah, anyway, so we've got these these reindeer festival games going on, and in this sequence, we're going to meet a couple of our main care We meet a beautiful young woman, Parita and a handsome young man Aslock. And then Rob I pulled in a screenshot of Parita and the first time we really see her face here. She is the grown up version of the baby we saw featured in the opening folk song, and Oslock is a local reindeer herder and an eligible bachelor. And when we first see Pirita's face, she is angelic with a big, wide grin, and her eyes are sparkling in the sun. You can see they really set it up to like so that her eyes capture the light and it glints on her. You know, they look like wet. I don't know, it's a good. Gross, But like she's sparkling. She's sparkling, and you can even see a little sparkle on her cheeks. I think there's like snow melted catching the light there. Yeah, and Parita is taking part in the reindeer sled race here. She's having a great time. She's happy, Yeah, just beaming with life. But also credit to Miriami Kosmanan's performance here, because she always manages to make Perita seem a little bit strange and mysterious even when she's happy and when times are good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point. Yeah, even early on, there's something else there. I don't eve know. Is it a deep loneliness? Is it something else? We'll have to think about it as we perceive.
Speaker 3: But asloc is also in the running here in this race, he seems to command his beast with confidence and pleasure. As lucks, he's a big ball of fun here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One visual theme I started noticing right around this sequence that I thought I should flag Rob. The movie has lots of shots of mostly empty snowfields that foreground, a single tree all by itself, piled up with snow, sometimes even bent over sideways under the weight of old frost and I think that is probably an intentional pattern, and it's kind of a subtle visual cue that communicates something about loneliness. Loneliness is a theme of the film, and it shows it as loneliness as this kind of cold and heavy burden that smothers you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Yeah, And then just in general, like the world is this vast cold landscape and you find warmth and community and in very small packages here and there.
Speaker 3: Yes, I totally agree with that, though I would say that like the focus is on something about the physical world and the necessities of life creating these things. It's not, it seems to me, not really a comment on anything about the community being alienating or isolating. It's more just like, these are the realities we have to deal with to survive.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And you know, they get out in the snow and they have some fun. They they're laboring in the snow. They don't you know, obviously it is an environmental hurdle for life, but they're doing their best. And yeah, just there are multiple scenes where our main actors are like iced over, but they're smiling. I think that's telling and it matches up with some things I've heard about surviving in cold environments where like people say, yeah, I mean, you just got to find a reason to go out in the snow and live your life.
Speaker 3: So eventually Parita and Aslac seem to have become separated from all the other contestants in the race. I don't know if they stopped caring about the overall race course. Now they're just playing together. It's just the two of them dashing over this big hillside, treating each other flirtatiously. And eventually Aslac makes a move. He throws a rope and lasso's Parita, pulling her off her sled, and he says, a reindeer is fast, but a wolf is faster, and they embrace, laughing, and they tumble down the hill in their furs, rolling over each other. And there's a shot here where when they come to rest, Aslac cradles Parita in his arms and she looks up at him with this big, toothy smile, and it really shows off this angel witch duality that kosmon And brings to the role, Like if you look at her face here, Rob, she's looking so happy, but also if you just change your mindset, she could look so dangerous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and she will totally have those those Dracula moments later on.
Speaker 3: So as Lac leans down to kiss her. And there's also something funny about the way he looks here. They've done him up so that his eyebrows are just spiky with ice, so he's got like icicles over his eyes. Anyway, after the games are done, we see Parita and Aslac canoodling together in a reindeer drawn sled and riding around outside the festivities. Clearly they are falling in love, and Aslac asks do you like me? And she smiles and leans on him, but doesn't say anything. So soon after this, Parita is at home with her family. I believe these are her adoptive parents, and we see Aslac and his father coming in his sled to visit the house. I don't know if this was supposed to mean anything, or even if it was intentional, But Rob, did you notice in this scene that as Aslac is coming down the road, a black cat runs across his path?
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't notice this when I watched the film, but it's a great point. I'm not sure what it means, Like, I don't know what the black cat's role might be in the folklore of northern Finland, but in absence of that, maybe it's just like cinematic tradition of black cats. Or sometimes you just have a cat that is going along and mining its own business and does not care that you're shooting a film.
Speaker 3: Get that cat out of the snow. Speaking to Parita's parents, I think this is Aslak's father, and he says, this must be some kind of metaphor. He says, we have a merchant, you have a bird, sell us the bird, and this is a marriage proposal. And Parita's father asks Aslac if his intentions are honorable, and he promises they are. He makes a pledge that he will treat their daughter well, and then the parents unfold a cloth containing the bride price. It's several coins and pieces of jewelry. And you get the sense that within their community, these people they're not rich, but they can lead a rich life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's not a sense of the people here like barely scraping by in the edge of civilization or anything like that.
Speaker 3: No, there are environmental hardships, but but this is their way of life and they make it work, so there is there. It's not communicating it seems to me anything about like poverty or hardship of that kind. But but yeah, so we see that, and then the next thing, you know, we're at the wedding and it's a rock and party, like friends and relatives come to poor gifts onto the pile on the table, and they're drinking from this frothy booze booze chalice. Actually it's mostly just one guy drinking this chalice of and they're dancing around in the warmth of the fire. Eventually, this might be Aslek's father, I think, who says the drink is drunk bread and salt eaten. And then there's this interesting thing where like Parita and Aslac are kept behind a curtain. They're hidden from everybody else at the party, and one drunk guy keeps peeping through the curtain and tells them they look just like a couple of lovebirds. And then at the end that there's a funny shot where they're like closing up shop at the end of the wedding party, and like everybody's still like trying to peek in the door and somebody's trying to force the door shut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is the sequence where I kind of wish I had color because I feel like this is a This is a colorful in its own way, you know, rosy depiction of traditional life. Is it accurate, I don't know, but it has an accurate feel to it, at least in my viewing.
Speaker 3: I think the clothes in the scene alone would have had a lot of cool colors.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But after this, now our main characters are married and time passes. Of course, Aslac a reindeer herder, which is a job that requires travel. He has to take his stock around, I guess, to different feeding grounds. Probably, so he's often gone, leaving Parita home alone for long periods. And when Aslac is gone, we learn Parita is lonely. We see her excitement in one scene where he returns with a giant train of animals. This was shot with a real reindeer herd, and it's just amazing to see this ocean of antlers bobbing. Is this column of like hundreds or maybe even thousands of animals clops on by?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many reindeers.
Speaker 3: So Parita and Aslac race to meet each other, and she just collapses into his arms. There's not just love but relief when he comes home. But the night of their reunion, that's when the vibes first start getting a little dark. We see the couple together in their bed, and the camera slowly zooms in on them as we hear these uneasy, dissonant chords swelling up on the soundtrack, and we see that Aslac is asleep, but Parita is awake. She's laying there and her eyes are open, and she turns to her husband and she rubs his chest and tries to rouse his attention, but he's you know, he's tired. He sound asleep, and he rolls over, turning his back to her. And then Parita rises up from the bed and slowly walks over to the fireplace to warm her hands. And she turns and sees a man not Aslac staring at her from a bedroll on the floor. First time I watched it, I was like, wait, who is this? But I think this is one of the other herders. I think they're all just sleeping in the same house here and you know, one of her husband's coworkers here. And the man looks at her and she smiles, and then she climbs back into bed with asloc this little encounter in this exchange of looks feels significant, but I truly wasn't sure what to make of it, Like, was there supposed to be some kind of sexual tension with this other man? Or is he frightened of her for some reason? You could kind of read the scene that way at stage, like that could be what it means. She hasn't really done anything overtly creepy yet, but she is just I don't know, there's something in the music and the way she looks at him that is a little maybe off, and we don't know like what exactly is going on, but there's something she has a moment with this other man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering, is the man's supposed to be creepy here? Like I'm thinking to some of the themes here that are not all that overt I guess. But you know, we begin with this scene where her mother played by the same actor, is chased by wolves there, so is this guy sort of like are we thinking about like he's kind of a wolf himself? Is he like looking at her with predatory eyes? I'm not sure. Again, the film is kind of leads it to your interpretation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And so we have this question, like, ultimately, what is it that Parita wants? We know, and we'll explain more about this in following scenes, but we know she's unsatisfied in her marriage somehow. But is this only because she misses her husband and wants more attention from him, or is it because she desires other men as well? I think you could or is it something else? I think you could interpret it multiple ways? And Parita herself never says in the film. Later, in her wear reindeer form, she does seduce other men, But I wonder should we take that as like her true to herself, as her desire or is that just like the curse, the evil magic acting through her?
Speaker 1: Yeah? In either case, like, I think more communication was necessary its marriage.
Speaker 3: So later there's a scene where Aslak is preparing to leave with his herd once again, and before he goes, he gives Parita a gift, a young white reindeer, which he says she can have as a pet. So it's small, with soft looking fur, and it's asymmetrical. It only has one antler on one side of its head, no antler on the other side. And then Parita says, kind of sadly off you go again, and who knows for how long I'll miss you? And he hugs her and he tries to comfort her. He says he'll be back soon, but you can see that she is not happy in the way that like as he pulls away, she's still just reaching after him. So now Parita is alone again, alone with her one antlered white white reindeer dough, and we see her feeding it from a big ball of lichen. I think that's what it is. She's got, like this big wad of something that she feeds it. And then later she sits in her house staring out the window at this bleak landscape with gray clouds, and there's like a beam of sunlight cutting through the gray clouds, like we saw earlier in the opening montage. She's obviously yearning for something, and then suddenly it's a swis is flipped. A change comes over Parita and she has decided to do something. So she hurriedly packs some items in a bag and ventures out into the snow. She goes over a hill, across a plain all the way to a tiny isolated cottage in the fells. And I thought this was an interesting choice for the equivalent of what you would get in other movies. The witch's hut, which is often in the movies I'm more familiar with, is in a forest or is in a swamp. And here it is the only vertical feature we can see in an otherwise completely empty expanse of snow, and it.
Speaker 1: Itself is covered in snow. Snow everywhere.
Speaker 3: So Parita goes to the door and lets herself in. The cottage is filled with smoke, The floor is filthy. There is a goat chained to a post in the middle of the room, and then squatting on the floor tending to a fire. Is salku Nila, the shaman, the wizard, kind of the cunning man. I wondered if you had a thought on this, rob do you read Salkunila as an inbounds or an out of bounds practitioner of magic from the society's point of view? Is he more like the village priest or the village shaman, or is he more like some kind of outsider warlock.
Speaker 1: That's a great question, Yeah, because if in other films where we have this character, sort of character show up, you know, generally in the form of a witch, you can have different flavors they more. They may lean more old religion, more pagan, or they may lean more satanic dark magic. Right, and in either case kind of like position a sort of spiritual distance from the mainstream. But then here we get the sense that whatever the spiritual distance, there is a there is an actual physical distance from the rest of the people. I'm not sure how we're to take that, So I don't know. I guess I got the overall impression that the shamanistictor that he represents are at least not that far from the mainstream. But for whatever reasons, what he does is a little removed from the rest of the community. He is kind of an individual corners. Yeah, he is an individual with with influences in the other world, and that's why you come to him.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's in a place where like you could buy beer at the store, but he's a home brewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Salkut Nila. He turns his eyes up to uh Pirrito when he when she comes in, and he says, I knew you would come, And then he hangs a pot over the fire. It looks like maybe it's a pot of soup. I thought, it looks like it's got a big bone sticking out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Parita quickly begins digging into her bag and pulling things out to lay before the wise man. She has brought, She has brought gifts. This is I guess how she's going to pay for his services. First of all, she pulls out these round loaves of that look like giant bagels. Rob, I understand you figured out what kind of bread product this is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was curious, maybe a little hungry at the time, and it's it's it's I'm not gonna attempt to pronounce its finished name, but it's apparently a traditional finish rye bread. And that hole in the center it has to do with the way that they're they're they're hung on poles at some point in the process of making them. But yeah, so some sort of finished rye bread here.
Speaker 3: So you sent me an article. It's like after you bake them, you hang them up on a pole over the oven, and that like keeps them warm or dries them or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're not donuts or bagels.
Speaker 3: There's something unique, but so yeah, she pulls out these large bagel shaped loaves of bread and then a wedge of cheese that's got to be reindeer milk cheese.
Speaker 1: Right, it's or goats, I mean this guy, but this guy's got goats and he doesn't have cheese, so that's true.
Speaker 3: He wants that cheese, I think. She also pulls out a dried piece of meat, and then finally the good stuff, a bottle of clear spirits. This could be vodka or maybe some kind of traditional sami liquor anywayland Salkunila sees what he wants. When she produces the bottle, he snatches it and immediately just starts chugging. And after a good long chug, he turns back to Parita and he says, love potion.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 3: Women young and old the same? And then while he's talking, he also keeps doing this bizarre, slow, high pitched laugh, and he says, your man off in the fells, salku Nila knows the cure. And then here he pulls out a leather pouch and begins to pinch things out of it and sprinkle them into the pot. He says, herbs from beyond ten fells, beside ten streams, some graveyard salt, the balls of ten bull moose, the strength of ten bull moose. Salkunila the Wizard can bring back lost reindeer, Salcunila the Great Wizard can raise the dead. And then I love this part. He pulls out a divination object. It is a drum with a skin loosely stretched over the top as its head, and all over this skin are illustrations and drawings, these patterns, and then he places a small stone or bone dye of some kind on the drum and then starts beating the drum with a clawed mallet and this makes the little dye object like bounce up and down and land on different parts of the drawings on the drum head. Yeah, I like this, so I assume where the bone piece bounces on the drum. Here tells her what she must do, and Sualkuneila explains the message. He says, you must sacrifice to the stone god, the first living thing you meet on your way home. Then no reindeer herder will be able to resist you this winter. You will. But then he trails off. He stops talking, and he leans back, looking frightened, like he's frightened of Pirita. And she tells him to go on, but now she's looming over him. With this menacing posture and this crazed look in her eyes, and she reaches out a hand flexed like an animal's claw and presses it down against the painted drumhead. And now the drum begins to sound, releasing this new, deep, deeper, echoing beat, and the bone dye. The little object starts to dance, even though Salkunila is not touching the drum. Nobody's beating the drum, but we're hearing a drum beat and it's reverberating. So there's some kind of terrible power radiating out of Parita herself into the drum and Rob, I don't know if you have a way of describing the way her face looks in this scene, but it's intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lighting is totally different, you know. Of course, this is a darker environment to begin with. And then yeah, she has this kind of sinister look on her face. Something has awoken inside her. The spell. It kind of comes back to what you said earlier. This spell has has interacted with a pre existing condition that was unknown to our wizard here, that she herself is a born witch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he announces it now he Sualcuniela screams witch, and Parita looks possessed. And then also an interesting distinction to wonder, Like, so he's doing something like some kind of magic or witchcraft, but there's a different thing he means by her being a witch. Maybe it's that like he knows the the the magical arts, but she's got something you know, inborn in her, like she has powers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I get the sense that like he is one who has reached into the other world and has some degree of power and is probably over selling his ability saying he can raise the dead and so forth, and you know what's that vodka? Yeah, he's kind of a mess. Uh. And at this point he realizes, oh, she's the real deal though, she has powers that emerge from within the other world. And yeah, maybe he even has some some notion that there are going to be some interactions with how his magic and her magic are now going to manifest.
Speaker 3: Right, So Parita looks possessed, and then finally the drumhead rips open and Sualkunila shouts in terror as he like falls back into the corner of the room. He reaches for his goat for safety, and Parita stares into the fire as it climbs higher and then the scene's over. After this, Parita, we see her back outside heading home.
Speaker 1: Now did she get a love potion at all? It was just well, she was given a ritual to a ritual to carry out, so there's not so much a potion, but yeah, a ritual to carry out in order to achieve this effect.
Speaker 3: Right, So she's going back home and she's come out of her trance. But she as she's crossing the distance, she hears the words of the shaman again. She has to sacrifice to the stone god, the first living thing that she meets on her way home. But when she arrives home, Oh no, there's Osloc outside the house. He's home early. But fortunately before she reunites with her husband, he like the pet reindeer with the one antler. He lets go of it and it runs ahead of him into her arms. So the white reindeer now is the thing that she has to sacrifice Aslac tells her that he missed her and he had to come home early to see her. And at this point I wondered, oh, man, should you interpret that as like I made the trip to the shaman for no reason, like he came back anyway? This was the thing I wanted or did it already work?
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that's a good question. I also had a question about how there's not, again, not a lot of dialogue in some of these In many of these scenes, so like the wizard is just saying like, oh, yeah, I've got what you want. You want a love potion, No reindeer herder will be able to resist you. And then but she doesn't say no, no, no, just my husband. I'm just trying to make my husband more attracted any reindeer.
Speaker 3: Well, it's unclear again, I think it we don't fully know whether she is just wanting the attention of her husband or whether she's interested in the attention of other reindeer herders as well. It could be either one. Yeah, I mean I think it is clear she misses aslock, so that's at least a part of it. Yes. Anyway, later we see Seepurita remembering what she has to do, so she packs up and she harnesses the young reindeer and she sets out for a journey to the place of the Stone God. This is one of my favorite parts of the movie. So, like, she passes these strange landscapes while she's on the way, there's one part here, Robert, I don't know if you know what we're looking at. There's this big ice field and then there are these regularly spaced vertical structures that are totally covered in snow and ice, and I was like, are these just like really narrow trees that are regularly spaced this way or is this something man made? I truly have no idea.
Speaker 1: I mean, I took them to be trees when I was watching the film, but I could be wrong. Yeah, they could be structures of some sort, but they've been blasted by the snow and are now just encrusted with it.
Speaker 3: So the atmosphere and the music become much more frightening as she nears the place of the Stone God, and it is a giant, dark stone monolith looming over a field, topped with a reindeer skull and massive antlers. And then below the stone there is a reindeer graveyard, though all we see is snow with just hundreds of reindeer antlers sticking up out of it. It's a wonderfully composed scene.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yes.
Speaker 3: So Parita reaches the altar and then she kneels down with her pet and she raises the knife and then plum bunges the knife in to complete the sacrifice, and here some power comes over her. Yet again, Parita is overwhelmed, maybe possessed in some way, and she passes out and has all these visions. She has visions of her life, of her meeting with the shaman, of there's a vision of a reindeer running across a field in photo neegative and something now has changed, And I think maybe this is a good point to kind of zoom out and speak in a more summary way about the rest of the plot of the film, and then we can, I don't know, focus on anything that stands out to you that you want to talk about. So after this point, the ritual seems to have worked, but at a terrible cost. It sort of it comes with a twist. It's like a monkey's paw sort of thing. She is indeed now irresistible to the reindeer herdsman, but at night she transforms bodily into a wild white reindeer and roams the fells committing murders. So in her reindeer form we see this first scene where she attracts the attention of a herder one night and he wants to catch her, not as parita, but as a reindeer, to add her to the herd, I guess. And this is funny because it plays on this duality of like, she will be irresistible to the reindeer herdsman, and sometimes what they're interested in is business they want, you know, they want this reindeer, or maybe there's it's playing on this folk belief that like catching a wild white reindeer is like something that brings great fortune.
Speaker 1: Right right. But then the other side of that, of course, is that on one level or the other, she is a woman pursued by.
Speaker 3: Men, yes exactly. And then so when this guy does catch her, she transforms back into her human form and then she kills him. And this cycle repeats several times with these different sort of lurings out and murders in where she will alternate between her reindeer form and her human form.
Speaker 1: And she kind of has vampire teeth to a certain extent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, we see that, and it's freaky. And in response to the killings, the villagers get very upset and they try to come up with solutions to combat the evil witchcraft in their midst. The solution favored by Aslak, not knowing that the witch is his wife is cold iron, and that is the only way to kill a witch. So you see these forging scenes where these got you know, people who are I think not professional blacksmiths, are just doing the best they can. They're like beating out these iron tips into spearheads so that they can kill the witch with cold iron.
Speaker 1: Isn't there one scene where he's making one in the room with his wife. Yeah, yes, she's in there, Yeah, yeah, and she's kind of like recoiled in the corner because yeah, this is like an instrument of death for her, But he doesn't know that she is the witch. She is the reindeer.
Speaker 3: So at one point you mentioned the ranger with the rifle that shows up from the south. He is not part of the culture of the film and is not impressed by stories of magic and devils. He tracks the reindeer and he tries to shoot it, but I think some magical trickery goes on and the rifle explodes in his face, and then he sees the animal transform back into a beautiful woman and he sort of loses his mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: After more killings, the villagers form a mob to hunt down the wear reindeer, and in this final in the climax, here Parita is frightened and she flees. She keeps transforming back and forth between her reindeer and human forms. She tries to go back to get help from the Wizard from Salkunela, but finds that he has been killed in his cottage. Rob, how did you interpret that? Who killed him? Do you think it was the villagers?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because he's in there, it's cold and frozen. It's unclear when he died exactly. So I mean, it also doesn't seem and he was necessarily practicing a lot of self care, Like did he drink himself to death in that hut? Is it because of what he saw after?
Speaker 3: Did she kill him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did she kill him? Yes? She may have. She may have killed him un sight unseen, you know, off off off camera, off screen, after that initial encounter. I don't know. It's again, it's it's it's a bit ambiguous, but it's clear that like he cannot help her in the same way that this ranger from the south cannot help the villagers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so she also she's seeking help wherever it can come. She tries to go back to the place of the Stone God to ask for mercy, but no mercy will be given. And then finally, in her reindeer form, she's caught by Aslac, who gores her with a cold iron spear, after which she transforms back into herself, leaving Aslac mortified and he kneels down over her, realizing he has killed his wife, and he brushes her hair tenderly while she's dying, and then we just see the snow blowing from the slope of the fells and the cold wind, and that's the end. It's a very bleak ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't even get at the end. We close out and then we get the like the studio, the logo, and that's it.
Speaker 3: So so many interesting questions. I've raised this a couple times now, but I want to come back to evidence we can look at in the film for what is Parita's attitude? Like, so much of her inner life is left mysterious, and that's part of what makes the film and the character so alluring. She's clearly feeling and thinking so much, but we get hardly any dialogue or voiceover to share the details of those thoughts and feelings. With the audience, So, like, what is her attitude towards the killings that she's doing in the form of the White Reindeer. I found this commented on in a book entry I was reading about the movie. This was in a book about werewolf films called The Werewolf Filmography by an author named Brian Sin and in the entry on the White Reindeer, Sin writes, quote, it remains ambiguous to what triggers the change in Parita, nor is it clear whether she embraces the metamorphosis. At times she seems distraught over what she's done in her bewitched reindeer form, while at others she appears to revel in it, even sporting vampiric fangs. In one scene, like you mentioned, Rob as her witch half seemingly takes over. It's as if she has two personalities, the innocent Parita and the evil Witch. So I think that's a correct description. I wonder what we're supposed to take away from that. And likewise, the other question we raised about Parita's motivations, what is at the root of her unhappiness and her desire at the beginning of the film, What exactly is it she wants to be different, and also like what does she feel about her transformations. Is she desiring a kind of violent liberation from some aspect of her life or is it more just that she desires love and companionship. It could go either way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's you know, I suspect it's it's getting to some degree into this idea of like how does she fit into this masculine world around her and the desires of men, including her husband, you know, like she wants to be loved, she doesn't want to be murdered. But that's that's where we end up with the slaying of her monster self as perceived by the community, and you know, the murder of her human self. And you know that this is also a case that the ending. We can point out that this matches up with with where wolf and shape shifting tales from ancient times, the idea that the monster is killed, and in the killing of the monster it is revealed that they were actually this individual, or if not a particular individual, than a human being. They are revealed in the death. Sometimes there's another form of the reveal, which we've all seen in werewolf movies before, where it's the wound the beast is wounded. Then later we see the wound on the human individual and we realize that the two are one.
Speaker 3: Can I point out another variation? Often in werewolf movies the character transforms into the werewolf, not only to in this transformed state get the desire to kill. Usually it's a kind of tragic thing where the werewolf in their human state doesn't want to do violence to anyone, but they transform and then the wolf side of them takes over and it wants to do these killings. But it's also the wolf side of them is the kind that can do the killings. It has the physical power and the teeth and the claws and all that. So it is through the wolf body that the violence is done. That's not always the case in The White Reindeer. In fact, I think, am I remembering it right? That Parita usually seems to like she will take the form of the White Reindeer at some point in the luring of these men, or at some point in the pursuit, or at some point in the escape afterwards. But like when she does the killing, she often is in her human form, isn't she.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point this. I was reading about this a bit in some of the information I was reading a few months ago about the female werewolf in folklore, in mythology, and in cinema, and the authors may the point that, yeah, you'll often see that the female turns into a werewolf, and in turning into a werewolf, they turn into a masculine or more masculine form of themselves in order to be this dominant monster. Yeah. And in here in this film, yeah, she seems to generally kill in human form. And we should also point out again that it is not a graphic picture, so when people are killed and animals are killed, it's generally not shown cut. It's left to our imaginations.
Speaker 3: But I have the impression, based on having watched it a couple of times, that most or all of the killings, the last thing we see of her is like she's about to do it, and she's in human form, and then maybe she warps away and you know, runs off in the white reindeer form.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, it seems like the white reindeer form itself is more about mobility, yeah.
Speaker 3: But also about attraction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, attraction, mobility. Yeah. I'm also reminded of other folkloric traditions in which there is some inhuman threat that may take on the form of two different things that may attract a male, one being a female woman and the other being a horse. Those kind of traditions kind of seem akin to what we're seeing here in the modes of attraction that are employed. You know, the men are like, oh, there's a great reindeer, I need to catch that from my hurt. Or there is a beautiful woman, I want to go see what she's up to, chatter up a little bit, that sort of thing. I'm not sure how we might completely factor that into our calculations here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a kind of duality of attraction along those lines.
Speaker 1: I should also point out I don't have materials put together to really go in depth on this, but we should also acknowledge that like a dear woman or a dear lady is also a part of different Native American mythologies and traditions, and I think there is like some amount of overlap in the way that that figure is sometimes presented in what we have here in this film. I'm not saying there's any actual connective tissue between these but maybe they maybe they speak to some common threads in the human psyche. I'm not sure. If nothing else, you know, we might view it in the same way that we have different werewolf traditions and other shape shifting traditions that have popped up in different parts of the world, some influenced by each other, but some with no connections. But they sometimes end up embodying some of the same ideas, the same attitudes, the same relationships between the wild world and the domesticated worldeen civilization and the wilds, and so forth.
Speaker 3: One more question about Pirita. Do you see any element of her getting her comeuppance in the film or do you think it's purely tragic, just tragic what happens to her, Like is it not really her fault or is it partially her fault?
Speaker 1: Oh? I mean, in my viewing of the film, it felt tragic. It felt like the path of doom that was like writ from the day she was born. You know, if I go back and piece it together, like you know, in question where her mind was and all of this, I could maybe lean more into the retribution view. But I know, I think the pure cinematic experience is one of doom and tragedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel the same way. I was just wondering though, because I mean, it has structural elements that would lend themselves to a kind of, you know, punishment of hubris in some way, that there's something this character really should have done differently, that they did wrong and they're being punished for it. But I don't know, when you think of the content of it scene to scene, it doesn't quite feel that way. It feels more like the evil magic is sort of acting through her rather than an expression of herself. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The weird thing though, is like we tend to side with her because she is the character we know the most in the movie, and yet at the same time, we really don't know her at all. We have very limited information about where her mind is in all of this.
Speaker 3: But again, I think that's one of the things that makes the movie so exciting, is like, is the mysteriousness of this character. I can't stop thinking about her in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, there's an art house ambiguity to this and a dreamlike quality, fitting since it seems that this film, at least in part, emerged from the mist of dreams.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think that's all I've got on the White Reindeer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the White Reindeer. Yeah, I highly recommend it. It's easy to get. This is not one that as of this recording, is super were hard to find, so we recommend it, especially if you want some counter season programming.
Speaker 3: Like we were saying, freeze out your mind while your body sweats.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, just a reminder to everyone that's Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays, but on Fridays, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. You can get the Weird House Cinema episodes in the main Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed, but we're at least experimenting with Weird House Cinema as its own playlist, which appears as a feed wherever you get your podcast. Wherever you're listening to the show, we just ask you rate and review and subscribe. That helps us keep things rolling. If you were on letterbox dot com, which is a great place to be if you're a film fan, you can find us there. We are a weird house. There's a list of all the movies we've covered over the years. And sometimes a glimpse ahead of what's coming up next.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer, JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.