Speaker 1: John one half of me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say what I want to be happy? You want to be a happy for a day at a stake?
Speaker 2: Is that Wood and time? Welcome back to the song herble boys, girls, that's what I like. That's what I like.
Speaker 1: My name is Ty.
Speaker 2: He'll the brand, that fine gentleman over there, the one, the only, always, the incomparable, the Native Sun. Yeah, women staying. We were at the world famous Troubadour. They let us in the door.
Speaker 1: That's true. We're actually a little bit farther apart than we normally are because we're also going to bring other couple of people up on stage at a certain we're.
Speaker 2: Doing the Clint Eastwood. They were talking to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking to the chair. I gotta tell you right off the bat and the listening audience won't realize this, but the beautiful and attractive people and attendants will realize this. I didn't intentionally wear it too shirt to troll usc people in LA I didn't, but then up there because I have a different shirt up there, I saw I'm Wenna two lane shirt. He's like, you know what, I'm sticking with this. I'm gonna go with this. I'm gonna lean into it.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: No, it's incredible that we're here. I grew up point to shows here. I was gonna say, you've been to shows here. It's incredible to see. Are the name of our show the soliverbel up on the Marquee. It's all gravy. I'm so excited to do this and I'm ready with my good friend, Fat Tire, Fat Tire.
Speaker 2: Not a sponsor, could be, absolutely could be. So the name of this show, the code name for this show for people who listen, knows that we've been talking about one true champion, Yes, for a couple of months now, one true champ. What does that mean? Well, two things happened about a month ago. The first is that the College Football Playoff Selection Committee announced the top four, the four teams that will be competing for the national championship. We obviously know who the final two are. That's the first. The second is that they finally came to a even with a Rose Bowl on expanding things to twelve teams starting in twenty twenty four. Yep, you and I decided, ah, now we're gonna do it our own way. Correct, We're going to expand the playoff in the way that we see fit. We're also not going to just play it off between those four teams. We're going to expand to twelve, and we're going to make our own.
Speaker 1: We also don't have that capability to put on a tournament of teams. The budget's not there yet. But in the way that we do fantasy things before the season, we are going to find twelve things that we think have best come to define the twenty twenty two season and whittle it down to the one true champion things storyline, movement, whatever is that accurate?
Speaker 2: That is accurate? Okay, So we've got twelve college football narratives, things that move the needle for us this past season. We're going to put them in brackets. We originally had slides, but my dongle and you have the easy tie. Yeah, don't talk about your dongle in front of these at all. That the dongle didn't work the way it was supposed to be, Okay, and thank you. So, so we're gonna do engage in a little theater of the mind here talking through what that's cool, what all of these twelve matchups are. But you can envision a twelve thing twelve team bracket. Yeah, that will be popp You can hold up your phone. I could show it now we're not gonna do that, Okay, yes, continue. So it's it's a twelve thing bracket of our own creation. And by the end of this thing, maybe we can get some fan participation. We've got some special guests who are gonna.
Speaker 1: Help us on the way.
Speaker 2: We plan on naming the one true champion, Not Georgia, not TCU, no, one true Saliverbal champion of the twenty twenty two season.
Speaker 1: Why not do it in front of beautiful attractive people.
Speaker 2: Right, we have this sound too. You guys can tell me which one you like better. I stole this one.
Speaker 1: Shout out CBS. They didn't license it to us.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like a Jurassic Park version of CBA.
Speaker 4: And then I have.
Speaker 2: To all right, it's a little better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Shall we start with round one? I would love your hands to get it for round one. So we've seeded this right. It's organized in the way any other twelve team bracket would be organized. So the first four seeds have a bye, first four seeds have a bye.
Speaker 2: These this first round of games is being played at they're home games. Okay, right, so I don't know what that means, right, but our first matchup is a five to twelve, which, ohulie. For anybody who actually listens to the actual tournam man, okay, brackets, you follow it. You know, a five to twelve can be very, very dangerous. It's always danger five seed in this bracket is coach catastrophes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're gonna have to unpack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the twelve seed is something that you wanted to call desperately, the Big ten West sad Mall. Yes, so.
Speaker 1: I'll unpack that one as well. Everybody familiar with wherever they're from, there's a good mall and a sad mall, Right, that's right, that's right. The good ball might be outdoors, there might be a couple department stores that are still busy something like that. The sad mall is like, wow, people are still buying shoes there. Yeah, not that they're bad shoes, but it's that the employees seem a little bit sad and the ground hasn't been cleaned in a bit. And so what we are going to determine is essentially, which one of these coaching catastrophes, which is a broad term, and we can go through a number of examples. Or was the sad mall that was the Big Ten West. If you remember late in the season when Northwestern was terrible, they were objectively terrible at football. There were tweets outlining they still have a chance. That's the kind of division it was. And so I don't know if you want to go through some coaches and look at where they might be working in said mall, but I have PJ Fleck at Lady Foot Locker. You didn't ask, but I think it's a natural fit.
Speaker 2: Well, the coach catastrophes, I actually wanted to turn that one over to you, Okay, you took a certain amount of sadistic joy in the plight of one Mario crystal Ball this past season.
Speaker 1: I was just so familiar and what a catastrophe it was.
Speaker 2: It really was a beautiful catastrophe.
Speaker 1: It was because I'm not gonna say I knew it was gonna happen. I figured he would have some success at Miami, but the fact that something came out in the last couple of weeks that Manny Diaz and his thirty whatever games allowed hit five games of forty points or something like that, and in Mario Crystaball's first year was like nine of them allowing so look between Mario Cristobal, between Brent Venables, between Kirk Farns. We'll get there. We'll get there. Around the sports, around the sport, there were some pretty catastrophic coaching situations that Look, it started with I think what was the to you the opening shot of the coach? Was it South Dakota State, Iowa?
Speaker 2: That was it? Like?
Speaker 1: What was the true apex moment? What was the climax settle? What was the climax to you? Was it Tennessee Miami?
Speaker 2: Well, middle Tennessee Miami. I believe was a little bit later on in the year.
Speaker 1: I know, I understand this.
Speaker 2: I think the one for me that really was like whoa was Oklahoma Texas?
Speaker 1: Oklahoma Texas was top forty nine?
Speaker 2: Was that the final?
Speaker 1: It was forty nine nothing? And it was a situation they didn't Oklahoma didn't have their starting quarterback. So it's somewhat understandable.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that one. The beauty of that.
Speaker 1: Specific catastrophe was for four or five weeks you watched Oklahoma and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, all right, little scrappy, there's something there.
Speaker 1: And then the end of the TCU game, and then when you get to the point where you're looking at a box score and there's a number like one point eight or two point four next to QBR or yards per attempt, that's going to be a long weekend on the Oklahoma message boards.
Speaker 2: Well, between Miami and Oklahoma, fourteen losses between those two first year head coaches.
Speaker 1: Yes, could have been worse.
Speaker 2: Appreciative crowd here. I appreciate that. I'm sure I don't know if they do. No. And then you mentioned Oklahoma and what their plight was, right, and if we're talking about the Big ten West sad mall, there was this thing that we joked about on our show called Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Lightis Nebraska colitis? Like Nebraska colitis?
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's a very mysterious thing. You could argue that Northwestern was sort of patient zero. They caught the European strain.
Speaker 1: Yep, they caught the the European variant of Nebraska litis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there were seven is seven or eight games that Nebraska played and then the week following or the game following for those respective opponents, right, they lost, Yes, I've got Northwestern Georgia, Southern Oklahoma, Indiana, Perdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin. And by the way, Michigan almost lost. Correct, that was that game against Illinois where they won nineteen seventeen. So you know, somebody else can do the math on what percentage of the opponents that was. But playing Nebraska, just having exposure to Nebraska was not a good thing either.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure you have a friend or you and solid wife Kate have like a couple friend who are like, they're just kind of downers and they bring everybody down and you just feel kind of icky after you leave their place, sort of like you know the Office episode with with Michael and jan where everybody's like, oh man, this really hurts to watch, and there is something about like you go to Lincoln, Nebraska and you watch how dysfunctional Nebraska got that it just stays with you. But whatever you call the European variant for Northwest.
Speaker 2: Or European stream, Yeah, So I mean by a show of well applause, who would vote for coach catastrophees in this matchup, it's coach Catastrophes against a big ten West sad mall coach catastrophees.
Speaker 1: I think they like the sad mall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a sad mall crowd sad mall. Yeah. Okay, so I have let's see, I have Pat Fitzgerald at a sad leather store. Does that make sense, like a Wilson's Leather.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've got Jeff Brahm. He's running like a massage kiosk. Yeah, he doesn't want to be there either. Care for Jeff Broum won the Big ten West and he was like, this is too sad.
Speaker 2: I need to go.
Speaker 1: Who else do we have in the Big ten West? Obviously, Scott Frost is in like a Hollister something. We talked about the guy. He's got the sad pooka vibe. Yeah, sad Pookah, Scott Frost. I don't know where this is all coming from. Who else do we have in the Big ten West? We'll get to Kirk Farens later. There was something about Wisconsin and Graham Mertz where it was like, we're sticking with him no matter what. We've invested so much in this. I don't know what that is in like the inventory at hot Dog on a Stick or something like that. Where's that food court that's always has the samples like, please take some.
Speaker 2: More grammar takes them.
Speaker 1: We can't get He's probably a nice guy. That sounds very mean, but like that was the vibe I got from this year's Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: So we've got our first upset. We're gonna put it go through. We plan in putting the five through, but twelve through.
Speaker 1: There is I'm I can't wait to talk about Brett Bielima's role in the sad.
Speaker 2: That brings us to an eight to nine matchup, Dan.
Speaker 1: We're getting some snaps. It's this literal, snappy little tip. This is look at this, this is oh my god, this is great.
Speaker 2: This is going to be an earworm situation for a lot of these folks. The eighth seed in this bracket is something we called weirdly human Alabama. Yes, and the nine this is my favorite one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The nine is Dabbo Sweeney slowly melting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the visual immediately you can kind of visualize him.
Speaker 2: No, you can see that. So why don't we start with Alabama and then we can get to Dabble. It says something about a team when it's a catastrophe to go ten and two. When you go ten and two, and that's an abject failure in some sense. I mean that says a pretty good deal about your program. So they're in a good place. But there was this thing and we struggled with it all season trying to pick these Alabama games, especially after we saw the Texas one. After that game in Week two, our our thought was that, well, maybe Texas is really good.
Speaker 1: Sure what an incredible loss?
Speaker 2: May text is just really good, Like Texas is back really yeah, text not so much spoiler earlier. Yeah, Alabama was just weirdly human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So are you familiar with I don't know if it's US Weekly or in Style, you know the kind of magazine I'm talking about. They have this segment called Stars Colin.
Speaker 2: They're just like us, that's right. Are you familiar with that? Or I am familiar with this.
Speaker 1: They'll show Ben Affleck just tired and sad while smoking a cigarette. It's like, well, or they'll show I don't know if it's the greatest paparazzi picture ever taken. Have you ever seen Jonah Hill and the iced coffee? Has anybody seen this? Do you know what I'm talking about? So it's Jonah Hill holding an ice coffee but the frame is exactly when he's holding from the lid. And I didn't anticipate going here by the way where the ice coffee is falling from the lid, and it's just Jonah Hill. And so you think to yourself, Yeah, I've been there, like I have bad pores when I go to get a salad.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There is something about this year's Alabama reminiscent of Sure, my team has been torched by Tennessee. Sure, Brian Kelly has somehow beaten my team late, Sure, Ole miss almost beat my team with a sloppy performance. That was the vibe of the like stars. They're just like us. Obviously, Ben Affleck is excellent at what he does, but when you show him a little bit paunchy, as we all have been, Sure, Ben, I get you, I feel you. The holidays are tough for all of us.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing that I learned about Alabama, and specifically Alabama fans this year. You could say anything you want about Alabama. Yeah, it could be as mean as mean spirited as you can possibly conjure up. No, Alabama fans will sten to National Collegeotball podcast. No, they're so good. They have constructed their own parallel universe. Yeah, with their own podcasts and their own websites and their own appear makers. They don't listen to us. So it was very freeing to be able to talk about weirdly human Alabama once we realized it was a thing. I don't even think without any repercussions whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody had Alabama takes this year. They were on Alabama Plus and the rest of us had the standard package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so on the Alabama front. Speaking of Alabama, and we've talked about this in the show time and time again, but the fact that Alabama has been on this run under Nick Saban has really poisoned the well for a lot of other schools. Yes, when it comes to coaches and trying to build up any kind of national recognition and program building and what have you. Clemson, Clemson thought a lot of people thought for a good long time that if Nick Saban leaves, maybe Dabosweney would take that job. Right then this year kind of happened and you start to wonder, Okay, well, Clemson's had a lot of success, but now they're starting to lose coaches and players maybe are transferring out and suddenly people are putting microphones in front of Dabo, ask him social questions, like social issues. That always ends, well, yeah, and it's just like I'm not saying it's falling apart, but there is a sense that maybe it is slowly melting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was. There was the issue of like, who is your actual starting quarterback going to be? And then he said, well, kay Klebnick's gonna play. That was the preseason, and then throughout the season he said, dj use our guy. And then they gave a bajillion yards up to wake Forest and he always used to love using That was the Roy Bust. The rest of y'all right, and that, oh little old Clemson. There were moments we're like, yeah, you are a little old Clemson and it's not going super well. You could see the veins popping a little bit more for Davia's gonna say.
Speaker 2: There were more angry shots of Dabbo and the sidelines that I'm accustomed to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh and it was. And the thing is, I'm gonna miss Dabbo when he's gone. He's not sick to my knowledge, that was that.
Speaker 2: Was worded in phrasing a weird way.
Speaker 1: Not to my knowledge, I'm gonna miss Hi when he's gone, because there are so many vanilla coaches out there that it's fun to have him in my life because he's so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Dabo Sweeney versus weirdly here, really human Alabama? Are we going for weirdly human Alabama? There's the one Alabama? Continue Dabo Sweeney, Babbo see the sets. We have two upsets. There's so many.
Speaker 1: There's so many little things or in the case of his suit, like really big billowy things about Dabbo that I.
Speaker 2: Try to We didn't even get to him running down the hill.
Speaker 1: No, oh my god, that's great.
Speaker 2: Continual speaking of slowly melting are next first round matchup is a battle of six versus eleven.
Speaker 1: The sixth seed is what.
Speaker 2: The fuck TCU? Yes, I repeat, what the fuck TCU?
Speaker 1: And eleven the.
Speaker 2: Eleven seed is comically terrible backups, Yes, specifically quarterbacks, specifically quarterbacks. This one's important and personal to you. It is, I mean, I hear. Are we all know where this is going?
Speaker 1: Folks?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Oklahoma a problem with curious backups. Davis Bevel really against Tes, they had that and Oklahoma State had as I like to call something called Garrett.
Speaker 1: Rangerett Wrangle and Gunner Gundy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gundhy, but I'm sorry, this is a Drew Pine category.
Speaker 1: Category says, this is the Drew Pine.
Speaker 2: Entrant in our bracket. I was told by a friend, and you remember this several weeks ago, that Drew Pine is built like me, like Tie, I'm built like a podcaster. Yes, it's different ish, Yeah, And what what I mean what kind of amazed me about the whole Drew Pine experience is that he was so bad. He was actually kind of good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He had a twenty two to six touchdown interception ratio, and they turned him from a really bad backup at the start of the season into what I've come to now say is a quarter bot. In that he handed the ball off and he threw it to Michael Maher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was programmed for a very speci responsibility.
Speaker 2: He was like the terminator in a sense, right, and so they found a way to win a games with that. And not only that, but they gave him the confidence to believe that he should be the starter next year, which is why transferred us right.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that there is I had a hypothetical a number of years ago that I was especially proud of, and it was, would you rather wake up out of a dead sleep and you have you're on stage at the Oscars having to host and you have to put out fifteen minutes of content or whatever it is, Or would you rather wake up out of a dead sleep and have to sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl? And you have to sing it? You can't run off, and it's difficult, right, I mean, the Super Bowl one's over sooner, but you can be made fun of more by singing terribly. There is something about this group of quarterbacks that like they woke up out of a dead sleep and were asked to drive the ball in the Cotton Bowl. Because that's what I relate to. That's the number of the throws that these gentlemen, who I'm sure are nice, capable, They're in better shape than I am, They're a better football player. Grades Yeah, absolutely, But there is something like you're awake now you have to read cover three and Drew Pine is like I'm throwing it to the tall guy. And I appreciate that because it makes them relatable. Bill.
Speaker 2: I understand that when I heard built like me, I was like, oh boy, TCU Like okay, let's talk to you. I feel like we got to put TCU through. They're here, they're in this game. Yes, And I remember we did the preview. Guys who listened to the show, you know, I've said it time time again, the preseason quote from Sunny Dikes that I hung my hat on and I believed in the Sunny Dykes higher. We all thought it was a good higher. It's gonna take eighteen months. Eighteen months is what it takes about. Eighteen months till we get to the point where program stable. We can move this thing forward, you know, we can start building for the future. It took eighteen weeks. Yeah, it was nothing eighteen weeks and suddenly now Woston the Big twelve championship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they were Big twelve Championship adjacent's that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But to do it as quickly as they did to get here to this game. We will talk more about TCU at some point here, but I feel like we have to put TCU through. We can't.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to rely on the beautiful, attractive people we're putting TCU through because I have said everything, all the thoughts that I have about Davis Bevel at this point, I am milked dry. That's so nope, I'm taking that back. I'm bringing that back. I'm disgusted with myself for using that phrase.
Speaker 2: So we agree on the TCU for.
Speaker 1: I'm pushing TCU through because it's I don't have anything really that bad to say about TCU. They're in an incredible story and we don't have we don't have anything on this list that's incredible other than TCU.
Speaker 2: Is anybody in the audience rooting for Georgia?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, that's great, that's great. No, it's it's TCU as a team that traditionally has not been in this position. They've They've gotten to this point through playing really, really good football. I have been there. They're okay. I have a bit of baggage with guys like Max dug and bow Nicks, where this has been the ultimate redemption year. They don't care. They don't know my name, they don't care about me. I was out on bone Nicks from very early on. I was out on Max Duggan from ver earlier on, early on, and for them this year, and there's been a number of guys like this, but for Max Duggan backup quarterback TCU, the Frogs first year head coach, who like halfway through the season was like, well, where's cool hoodies? And then now they're here. I mean that's just incredible to me. Yeah, seventy ten.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I like this. This is it's it's very it's a vibe, it's very menacing. Yeah. Ohio State and Michigan fan freak out love this versus Kansas has a pulse now question mark.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the problem with Kansas here is it was like a mid October thing and then it went a little bit sideways. Still a great story, unbelievable having two good quarterbacks. It was a summer fling in a slide hold. It was a summer fling. It was a half season story. But it came to an end. I think they're in. It's a terrific story. I always like it when these completely down and out programs make a move right that that charge towards mediocrity. But we've got like a very quiet woo in the front row charge to mediocrity.
Speaker 2: Whoo.
Speaker 1: But there is something about the existential crises that Michigan and Ohio State fans feel. Well, first of all, every week, but at this point of the season. Ohio State's out of it. They lost to Michigan. You got to fire Ryan Day, you have to redo everything as a twelve and one eleven in one program. Whatever. And then Michigan getting to the point beating Ohio State again, and then well, the NCAA has issues with free burgers and Jim Harbaugh might go to the NFL. Do you know where those rumors are coming from. I think they might be coming from inside the house. That might be Jim Harbaugh saying I've heard Jim harbough. They got to offer who like?
Speaker 2: Do they like? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, this is Steve Harrball.
Speaker 2: That's what I heard.
Speaker 1: That's where the call is coming from. So there is something that Michigan fans and Ohio State fans can't have nice things for very.
Speaker 2: Low No, the Kansas story was fun though. I mean, yes, it was incredible. Maybe it was short lived, but they did go five and oh to start the season. They weaseled their ways negative connotation, but they snaked their way. Let's okay, thank you up into the top twenty. Huh almost beat TCU. He just talked about he's playing in this game. Yeah, in forty eight hours. So the fact that they got to six wins at all this season is a huge accomplishment given the fact that neither of the two previous coaches got to six wins in their entire arc.
Speaker 1: At Kansas, it puts the thing is that it's unfortunate. It puts a lot of pressure on like Pat Fitzgerald, right, Like, if Kansas can do it, if Steve could lose one hundred and forty five pounds and has a six pack, now why can't you, Carl. I don't know where I'm going with this, but it does put a lot of pressure on other people. I think the Kansas thing is a great story.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think I'm putting through Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Mission heat on that there's a little bit more meat on that bone. And plus, both Ohio State and Michigan were just they had more of an impact on the arc of college football this season. Both made the playoff.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: So it's hard not that we put TCU through. It's only fair that we would put Ohio State and Michigan through. It will get tougher in the next round though, just looking ahead at this bracket recognition, the folks out there don't have the benefit of seeing the bracket we will get this. So we're going to go Ohio State.
Speaker 1: We're going Ohio State in Michigan existential crises.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the quarterfinals, quarterfinals.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: I played the other one that time. Did you guys catch that?
Speaker 1: No one?
Speaker 2: No one heard boo, No one heard that.
Speaker 1: Should we bring a warm bottom to this seat? Is that what we should do? At this point?
Speaker 2: We can if you want to.
Speaker 1: I would love to. We've got a couple of quarter final matchups here. So we've got a one in four seed entering the fray, right.
Speaker 2: It's correct. We've got taken time three and four to.
Speaker 1: Take on what a twelve seed in the sad big ten West Mall, that's right, and in the nine seed Dabo slow melting an overwhelming snap choice.
Speaker 2: Should we talk about tc Should we talk about TCU?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: Should want to talk about tc I just want to we talk about TCU. Okay, well, it's fine, and we've got a special guest to help us do that. All right, So a nine year, ten year yell it out eleven.
Speaker 1: Eleven year NFL veteran and former starting star tackle for the TCU horn Frog's Marshall Newhouse come to say.
Speaker 2: Again just a bunch of burly, big dudes on stage.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of meat up here, a lot of meat. Okay, So I'm gonna present the matchup with my beer mustache. We have a six seed in What the fuck? TCU? Where the hell did this come from? Against? Excuse me, sir? We are at Christian University? Excuse me? Sorry? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Do you know that? I asked?
Speaker 1: And I don't know who this is going to offend, but I'm almost a half a beer ind I've said. I've said to multiple people, it's like, well, TCU, the sea is Christian like, it's just a frat place. It's just a frat place.
Speaker 4: It's loosely affiliated with the Christ Disciple or something like that, okay.
Speaker 1: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: The proud tc alone.
Speaker 1: Just to show you the importance of the scene. If you want that, you to Baylor SMU. That was the kind of idea I got from. So, TCU, the frogs are in this, but they are trying to prove themselves to be more important to the twenty twenty two arc. Then, I don't know if you have a sound for this or anything. Tie that's fine, I don't know. You couldn't have got round ball rock for me. No, that would have been nice.
Speaker 2: I could work on it.
Speaker 1: USC and UCLA getting the hell out of the Pac twelve.
Speaker 2: See that's tough. That's tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So which has been So I just want to talk about TCU. There's no way you expected this, No, not at all.
Speaker 4: I mean people were still you know, processing having to let go of a guy who's statue is on the way into the office for the coaching staff. Yeah, and Gary Patterson. So yeah, there's no way you could have predicted this. And then subsequently the the pundits put us at seventh in the Big twelve. I appreciate it, which at different times, right, yeah, at different times this year, people you know, have lauded its depth or its lack of whatever.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's no way you could have known. Did when did you know? Like, I think they're actually something?
Speaker 4: It was Oklahoma. I mean just I was at the game. I did a pregame show this year, and you know, you're kind of highlighting the players. I met a few of the newer guys and we're like, oh, there's gonna be a tough game, Oklahoma. You know, we've given them, you know, challenges for three quarters most of the years in the last five or so. Ye, and then in the first quarter we break like two or three long plays and Oklahoma looks like disheveled on the sideline. I'm like, that's something I've never seen before. Yeah, I mean not since two thousand and five. And then by that game, I'm like, we just stomped a hole in their forehead. This might be for real. So yeah, and then they're run after that. But yeah, it was Oklahoma again.
Speaker 1: And Monday night. If we were to give you it looks like you have your honesty j just right in front of you. Could you The ongoing question is like, well, what would it take for TCU? Like, first of all, they're a really good team and they've beaten good teams. Are you going into this in the way that I think TCU is, which is like, it's free money, nobody expected us to be here. Let's just play loose and see what happens. Or are you of the mind if ABC goes in a specific way, this is a real thing. It's very real. I think you know.
Speaker 4: TCU fans are pretty realistic fans. We've been kind of the doormat for a long time. We're a small school. There's just there weren't a lot of expectations are there now. But we were realistic before Michigan. I said before the game, we need a couple of things to go our way. Turnovers, big plays. Who knew that they'll mean two pick sixes and you know, a seventy five yard touchdown. But yeah, I was very honest about Michigan, and I believe it's similar to this. We gotta win the term about there's just no way a Georgia program that's accumulated five star athletes for six seven years. There's just no way to beat them at their own game. So there has things have to go our way a little bit. But walking if we do the off the bus off the bus test, there's a tight end at TC who barely just used who six seven forty that's during my time there.
Speaker 1: That just wasn't real. There's two tackles who were seeing you're a Mountain West athlete. To be clear, Yeah, I am honest now that if I were to try to get rided t taking that, I'm like, I'm insulting him. No, No, I know, I know, no, But it's just it's not that long about it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna kick dan'a ask later it's okay, yeah, registered, I haven't coming backhanded com registered registered, No, like I probably wouldn't get recruited there. Now I'm a shorter tackle, but the athletes they have now, they're big. And I talked, I spoke to this about this antiquated notion that TCU's too small. Fifteen years ago we were too small. That's just not the case anymore. So that was part of the Michigan lead up. And so yeah, we stole couple possessions and Max played okay. He had two picks that bounced off receiver's hand yep, and then he threw for a little under fifty percent.
Speaker 1: He can't do that. Those receivers can drop those balls. And so it's there.
Speaker 4: I believe it's there, and I also believe George is not going to underestimate us and it's going to be a dogfight. So I don't the house money thing. You know, it's I know how hard it is to win anything, any championship. So acting like we're just gonna go on this run and maybe get back here, there's too much luck, there's too much craziness that could happen to assume that that no matter how good you recruit, that this could happen again, So why not, you know, shoot your shot now.
Speaker 2: It does feel like they're on a hell of a run at the craps table, though, and that makes them tricky to bet against. Yeah, you could bet Georgia, and both Dan and I picked Georgia.
Speaker 1: You speak for yourself, Tied Marshall and Irene Marshall, and I believe time you're.
Speaker 4: Saying we're the degenerat in the corner with a cigarette and yeah, yeah empty vodka SODA's just on a heater right now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't like I could pick Georgia, and I understand all the reasons why it makes sense. I don't feel good about it. Yeah, I don't feel good about it. I don't want them. I want to see you to win, but I don't feel good about it because of the run that TCU has been on. And you know that feeling of not having anything to lose can be really dangerous.
Speaker 4: And I'm I'm like, I couldn't gamble, so I'm new to it. But just the idea and that the machinations thirteen points is a lot lot, It's a big number.
Speaker 1: It's a big number.
Speaker 2: Of a quick strike offense that you know, it's being in weird situations all year.
Speaker 1: It's twelve now. By the way, has there ever been in a hypothetical world in which Georgia wins the National Championship? Will there ever be a happier group of fans to lose? Was in the National Championship? Not that tc was happy just to be here, but just like whatever, who we're running, we're shriaking down the street and our pants are on exact continue.
Speaker 2: So here here is the matchup that we brought you up here, beyond of course the game preview when you're insight into TCU, But the matchup we've got here is between TCU and this incredible run and what otherwise would be the biggest story in college football, the notion that both USC and UCLA and LA as a whole is now a big ten town. Dan, I kind of feel like that's the bigger thing that we should I mean.
Speaker 1: It's disrespect towards Santa Monica City College, but continue, I just.
Speaker 2: Kind of feel like that's a bigger, more important thing. Sure, we talked more about and that everybody got a little bit more into the.
Speaker 1: Well and the idea of realignment also affects TCU with Texas and Oklahoma leaving, because TCU again Big twelve Championship adjacent. TCU is in a position to go to the playoff probably more often if Oklahoma is fully weaponized, that's certainly a roadblock. And with you know, all due respect to Cincinnati, UCF, BYU and Houston, like, the road is a lot better for TCU right now with Oklahoma leaving, should they get back to where they've been? So I think it's USC and UCLA just because it sort of changes the trajectory of how we look at the sport that it's become like a big ten sec thing at this point. But man, you USC fans and UCLA fans going to State College, do you want to like speak specifically about how hard it is not just to get there, but to exist there.
Speaker 2: There is not NonStop service from lax No to State College.
Speaker 1: No, there is tricky. Is there a slider word than remote?
Speaker 2: It's a long van ride from Pittsburgh or Philly for most fans. Right you fly into University Park, but most of the land can't. It's a tough place to get to you Otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, USC and UCLA firebombing a conference to chase money. All due respect, I have a lot of USC friends UCLA fan friend one. I think there's not that many of them. If you've ever seen there, there is, and I'm sure there are a couple of examples of stadiums that really pop in empty ways. The Rose Bowl is special because we all love the Rose Bowl, right, we love the game itself. But there's something about, like, I'm pretty sure two thirds of the stadium are empty, two thirds of the seats are empty for a UCLA game, and the big twelve is we want you. And so that's funny to me that there is you know, maybe Iowa fans will travel, maybe Minnesota fans will travel, but it's still gonna be tricky. There's there's something about an empty Rose Bowl that I don't know. It just feels like home being from here.
Speaker 2: Does anybody object to us putting USC and UCLA through Yes, yeah, other than you Marshall of course.
Speaker 1: By the way, there was something I don't know a few days ago after TCU beat Michigan, somebody from the TCU Athletic department or something like radios they said something like, you know, all these people are acting surprised about TCU, But we knew the whole time. Bullshit, you guys needed. You guys needed to sprint out in Unison to kick a field goal against Baylor to get here.
Speaker 2: We knew the whole time.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm positive that that's called a bazooka kick, and we practiced every Thursday.
Speaker 1: I'm positive you watch the end of that game with your arms crossed like, nope, nope, nope, not even close. I was too busy. I was down the sideline trolling the Baylor student section. Well that's fun, that's fun. That's what you're legally supposed to be doing as a TCU person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we let you go, do you have a prediction while you're up here?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah, I mean I've been doing the show and so I'm like, I've got my Homer shirt on all the time, but I truly believe it. With a couple you know, bounces our way like we're in the game, but it feels like like a one score Georgia win. But I think there's a chance, like late in the fourth quarter, there's a game turning drive for TACU or Georgia that will either have to teach you there to win or will kind of they'll pull away, but I mean it's gonna be a closer game. It'll be very well contested.
Speaker 2: Georgia could cover and it could still be hell of a game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. So any given Monday nights specifically built for TV audiences, anything could happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put your hands together for Marshall.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you. Am I free? You're free?
Speaker 2: Okay, go be our biggest fan. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you want to keep it going with large humans in this chair? We can. That's not confidence.
Speaker 2: Let's do it all right? Another guest.
Speaker 1: We have another guest, another large human. Ladies and gentlemen from the Gojo Show. You've seen him on ESPN, You've seen him on he might be on Twitter twenty four hours a day, seven days of Mike Gullig Junior.
Speaker 2: I just want to say thank you for not reading my football resume after Marshalls there is.
Speaker 1: You have a hell of a Wikipedia page. By the way, he is the only professional, semi professional football player. You played in Brooklyn, New York professionally.
Speaker 3: Yes, the I played in the Brooklyn Cyclones Minor League baseball park on Cony Island. Huh, I rode a legit yellow school bus to professional football practice. But I did make the All Star team in the FXFL and didn't get paid for the last three weeks.
Speaker 1: Is that true? Yes, that.
Speaker 3: At some point it's not thirty for thirty worthy at all. But someone will do like a small YouTube short on what happened to that fall? Uh huh, where I ate at the same Spanish restaurant, worked out at the same La Fitness and went bowling three nights a week, living in a holiday and Express on Staten Island for three months. He just brought the room down. Yeah, no, it was dark times, man, it was dark times anyway. Happy to be here.
Speaker 2: On the Brass tax Mic. We've got a compelling matchup here between a number nine seed otherwise known as Dabosweeney slowly melting and the number one overall seed, which we're referring to as transfer portal fucking chaos, well language, well chaos chaos. We're actually a Catholic institute, yea.
Speaker 1: We care about the God stuff, so.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows about the dabble thing. We just talked about that, the God the nil thing. We could talk about that quote, yeah, in due time, but I'm curious from your perspective as a former college athlete, how you feel about the transfer portal chaos, because I'm sure you've seen the numbers. Over a thousand people entered their name into the transfer portal. Some have pulled their names out, some have pulled their names out and then put them back in it at all careful. We just got done with the milk and stuff. I keep thinking of the old ESPN Y two K commercial where they countdown three two to one, you hear the alarms call freedom. Charlie Steiner's doing braveheart. Yes he's playing for Tulsa now, Charlie Steiner. Congratulations. Yeah, So where are you at with the transfer portal and all this chaos we've seen well, and especially what.
Speaker 3: You guys brought up is its outsize impact on the world of college football.
Speaker 2: We just got through, I believe the last of the.
Speaker 3: Major transfer portal quarterback Dominos to follow with Brendan Armstrong following his former offensive coordinator Brandon and I two NC State. But we saw the impact it had on USC this year. We saw the impact that it's had on Old miss and Slane Kiffin got there. It's got tangible impact that we've seen almost immediately on the field for some big programs, and it's the easiest sports tall gas back subject on earth.
Speaker 2: You can get Stephen A. Smith talking about that. Yeah, if Steven A. Smith is talking about college football, that tends to mean whatever.
Speaker 1: The subject is a.
Speaker 2: Pretty big deal. Yeah, I mean this. The other interesting thing about this matchup is that Dabos Sweeney versus the transfer portal is also a real life gage. It's ongoing, right Simpson, fans all just slowly dying, as you said, Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: Continue to say.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't seem like Dabo's got a handle on that situation.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. Here here's my question for Mike though, with the transfer portal stuff, you were you were pretty locked in on Notre Dame obviously a legacy and you love Look you're wearing a Notre Dame little Is that a jacket or is that it's a patch? No, it's just a jacket.
Speaker 2: It's a jacket.
Speaker 1: It's just a jacket. Yeah, I'm learning things as we go. This would not you would have not entertained the idea I presume of leaving Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: I thought briefly about it. Okay, to my last year just because I hadn't played a bunch. But it was a lot harder decision. I was, obviously, you know, a legacy player there all that good stuff, so would have been a lot harder than it seems to be now, which that part is wild to me, and I'm sure Marshall can speak to this too. The thought of uprooting everything that you've done as frequently as some players have seems incredibly off putting, Like they do have to think about it a lot more like a business that we ever did.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Okay, so when you look at this, does it like Tie is all in on the transfer portal? Tie loves I mean, look, Tie is a professional talker now, so it gives us fodder all year long, like okay, this quarterback's going here, or this new coach just brought in forty new players or whatever from the portal lane. Kiffin's the portal king. Do you enjoy it in that way or you're like that's kind of a bummer, because there is something nice about like you going somewhere with four years and you're making all these like lifelong friends. What are you? Are you mixed on it? Do you understand it? But does it you wear you with it, so I.
Speaker 3: Don't get as inundated with it overall, necessarily because trying to keep tack of each and everyone that jumps into the portal is an impossible task. I'm like, skipped a labor, Show me the baby, tell me where the good guy's end up, and we'll be good with all that. I'm a fan of it because it allows more teams to get better quick yeah, which I think as a college football fan helps in an era we're about to expand the playoff. And I think it also gives players recourse against the system that's traditionally landlocked them. Where now you've got guys that, if their coach decides to up and leave after the first signing day, have the ability to get out if the bill of goods they were sold isn't the one that they get when they get on campus. Like, coaches have to tell you the truth now, they didn't always have to tell you the truth before in those recruiting meetings because you were, you know whatever, a star prospect. They could make you feel all the things you wanted to feel, and then you got on campus and you were theirs, and it was really hard to get out of that and so I like, in a sport where the players do not yet have a union, that they've got some way to impact their future in a four or five year window.
Speaker 1: There's also the interesting dynamic of recruiting your current players like you probably wouldn't have hated for your offensive line coach in meetings like hey, by the way, Mike, you mean a ton to us and we love having You're like, hey, thanks.
Speaker 3: It's it's created such an interesting dynamic where, yes, it feels like now they've still got to be nice to you. You get on this, so maybe it eliminates you getting five am punishment workouts for two weeks straights after a very lame, minor intoxication.
Speaker 1: That is off my record now.
Speaker 5: Hypothetically he could be talking about anybody not gonna point any old last year, but no, I think I had an interesting conversation last year doing a North Carolina game with Mac Brown, And obviously anyone who's ever lost a game in North.
Speaker 3: Carolina is in a very long conversation with Mac Brown and midfield, way longer than I want to. But it was interesting hearing him talk about that, because I think it changes the way some of these coaches have to operate if they're smart, which is word of mouth has always been the best recruiting device. Players talk now more than ever. And he said, if a guy doesn't think the best opportunity for him is here, we want to help get him to where he thinks that that was the promise we made him recruiting. And listen, he's talking to the media. He's selling us the right stuff. But that's the point is if that's the the let's say, perception of you that's out there, and then that impacts players, and you show that on a day to day basis, players are gonna buy what you're selling. And that, to me is the biggest thing. If you're truthful in the way you build your program, you're not gonna have to do as much recruiting.
Speaker 1: Right by the way, just as an aside, Mac Brown, an all time elite first name.
Speaker 2: Remember, remembers everybody's name, so you.
Speaker 1: Got like the doc Rivers in the NBA. But he does do something where like a media member will ask him a question, He'll say like, great question, Derek, and Derek will say that was a great questions Mac.
Speaker 2: It's why if these coaches ever have a chance go do the media thing. For a year. Yeah, because you'll learn how easy it is to get us.
Speaker 1: Such marks. Yeah, it's unbelievable. We don't take much.
Speaker 2: Just the Cross has done at Hollister. He can head right for the boost somewhere. So I think we got to put the portal through. I think portal through. I love the Dabbos, slowly melting love it one the name, image and likeness of God. That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna miss that.
Speaker 2: I have quote. We built this program on nil. We really did. Sweeney said, it's probably different than what you're thinking. Though. We built this programm in God's name, image and likeness. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's perfect. It's perfect. Here's what.
Speaker 2: Trevor Lawrence does. Look like the white God they put up in my cap at high school.
Speaker 1: So let that sink in. Okay, there's something about Dabbo where he's it seems like he's gonna coach Clemson forever, right, that's his thing. He's gonna be the the Clemson whatever. But at some point he's going to retire and I don't know, like he'll have speaking circuit. The only other thing that I could think about for Dabbo after he leaves is because of the way he speaks the name, image and likeness of God. That's how we There is going to be something like I'm Dabo Sweeney and I know a little bit about gold, which is why I'm here to tell you a little bit about Gold.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: There is gonna be like you'll be watching something with an elder relative and Dabbo will appear on your screen like as the next like I don't know who's doing now, Tom Selleck, Like Dabo is going to fit in so smoothly in that world.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited for. And I guess it's not gonna be my grandparents anymore. This will be like my dad or I guess not my dad maybe specifically because he would know this, but somebody's dad who becomes a grandpa gonna be like, did you know this nice gold Man.
Speaker 1: Used to coach that football team? Who knew Carolinas. It's gonna be such an easy transition and we are all going to see it coming now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put your hands together. From Mike Gouling Junior, thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: Wait before you go, Before you go, do you want to place any of the Big ten West coaches in a sad mall store? Okay, so I guess Luke Fickle doesn't count. We're gonna have to go Paul Christ because he was the one who was the head coach for a time this year. You've got Brett Bielima, You've got Kirk Farens. Who am I missing? From the Big ten West. You've got Pat Fitzgerald, Oh and PJ Flack. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Brett Bielima was recently fire from the Cinnabon as the night manager because he was stealing them.
Speaker 1: Low hanging but accurate. Yeah, I am what I am? Yep, thank you very much, My.
Speaker 2: Dog dinner, our Cinderella from round one the Big ten West sad Mall against a very strong number four seed. Jimbo Fisher's buyout, Yes, can afford the whole damn mall. Eighty five million is the buyout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For those playing along at home, this is the kind of topic that you draft for a dynasty fantasy league. Yes, of course, because he signed the contract five years ago. He re upped the contract two years ago now twenty twenty one, and we're still talking about it. It was the contract that changed college football coaching forever. Yeah, because I remember it was ten year, seventy five million dollars ten years what it was a big talking point for us. Now it's more of a talking point now, but not for the reasons we thought when you signed the contract. It could be because A M did not score thirty points against Power five opponent until the last week of the season.
Speaker 1: That'll happen. That'll happen, Yeah, last week of the season. Dan, Yes, so eighty five million dollars is a lot of money. But also shout out to the guy for discovering the greatest retirement plan in the sports Texas A and M's coaching job. There's nothing better. There's nothing like. Can you imagine the coaches that have been on the line with their agents to say, look at some points, just get me in there right like, you know, when this is all said and done, Lincoln Riley is gonna be the head coach in Texas A and M. I'm gonna walk you. I'm gonna walk you through the process. Lincoln Riley's gonna take an NFL job in twenty twenty four. It's gonna go pretty well and then poorly, and then he's gonna end up in College Station Texas. It's just a quick little spoiler alert for the Lincoln Riley trajectory here with me a very wealthy man.
Speaker 2: The Jimbo buy out. I think I'm just sort of transfixed at how much we talked about it this year. We expect to, I think is what made it so notable in our world. The big ten West Sad Maldough is it's teaming with coaches with bad programs. I mean, we didn't even talk about Kirk ference. No, let's take a secon. Let's take a knee to talk about Kirk Ferencene, late stage, Kirk Farnce at this point, so we talk about half teams on the show all the time. By the numbers that we look at, one hundred and twentieth an offense, Well yeah, first, first, in defense, I cannot remember a disparity that large since we've been doing the show. Maybe somebody else can. But one twenty to one is a pretty big deal in a vacuum, that's not that big of a story. But the fact that i was been there before, and the fact that Iowa was sought to try and solve the problem by saying, hey, Brian, you know something about electrical work, don't you, right, can you give us a shot? Like it costs money to do a fixer upper of this magnitude.
Speaker 1: It's it's unimaginable how bad Iowa's offense got. They were never great on offense. The thing that I specifically love is that there is an obvious conflict of interest to the point where Brian Ferrence doesn't report to his father, the head coach, and that it's other people deciding his job performance. It was so so bad to watch Iowa. But again, I treasure it. I treasure the Big Ten West. I treasure how bad it got. I treasure the fact that their best offensive coordinator was their defensive coordinator and Phil Parker, that's pretty great. This was Iowa. Iowa's incompetence was so creative and novel. I celebrate it. It was so incompetent that it was the best and they made it work. They well to an extent. Sure, they made it too and won a bowl game. That's true. They shut out a very said Kentucky team.
Speaker 2: Speaking of malls. Right, so I still feel like, you know, despite the fact that the Big Ten West sad mall is a fun thing to say.
Speaker 1: Well, do you think here's the question, do you think it's more difficult to be truly terrible at Iowa on offense given that defense, or is it more difficult to screw up on the level of Texas A and M with the talent of the Aggies with I mean, the sec Wes wasn't incredible this year.
Speaker 2: What do you think Kirk Farrens would do with the roster in college station? Oh my god, they would all be transferring. Just if they switch spots, right, what would happen? Punts be a lot of punting. No, nothing terribly different. No, it's it's just he's much more expensive Jimbo. He's much more expensive Jimbo. Fisher's buiout goes through I think, and so this is where the twelve seeds run.
Speaker 1: I also like that you have to pay attention to oil futures to gauge whether or not it's realistic to get rid like, there are move there are things afoot that have to happen. Okay, we're gonna have to explain the snaps to the at home audio audience.
Speaker 2: I currently fakes up a little bit so that we can pick it up our two versus seven matchup. We already talked about the Ohio State Michigan freakouts. Tough matchup here going up against Nil Madness. Yes, you and I Nil boom boo. We You and I talked about the possibility, the weirdest possible ways that NIL could be applied, and I believe at the coffee shop before this, our conclusion was JT. Daniels accepting money from the Qataris to play in an off shoot league. So I believe that was what we came up with.
Speaker 1: Here is my pitch. Here's my pitch, maybe a soft pitch. In the shadow of Mike Goelick junior're talking about not getting paid to play in the I think it's the fx FL. Okay, it's almost the XFL. It's the FXFL that was their commercial on the side of a bus. I think it is worthwhile in that NBA players when it's not working out for them in the NBA, they can retire, they can coach, they can go sit and be the fourteenth man and be that. Like Pseudo. I don't know how familiar are with the NBAB Like Eudonnas. Haslam has been on the Miami Heat and hasn't played meaningful minutes since like two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: And that's great locker room guy. He's a guy. He's a glue guy.
Speaker 1: He's a culture guy, sure, But a lot of these guys who still have some life in their legs in the NBA, they'll go to China, right, and they'll cash in like Dwight Howard's averaging forty seven points for the Beijing Ducks. All I'm saying is I want an nil option from some possibly problematic state. But I'm saying, and I'm not mocking problematic states, they are problematic. But what I'm saying is I want guys who just can't find that home right, that JT. Daniels, that whoever that has transferred a couple of times down on their luck. I want them to go be a god in the Philippines. That's all I want. Like I want, I want to hear about somebody I've forgotten about, like in four years. I want to hear about Dju making one hundred and forty million dollars in Sri Lanka. That's all I want for these guys that if look, it's not gonna work out as a college football player stateside, but for whatever reason, it's really worked out for them in Taipei.
Speaker 2: I sat jaw a gape earlier when we looked up some of these Chinese basketball stats. Oh yeah, it's in Kyler Hansbro two years ago. Yeah, it's like thirty eight years old. At this point was averaging thirty three points.
Speaker 1: Again, yes, so so this has gone off the rails. But there is something kind of fun about nil because we don't know anything, right, We don't know the accurate numbers. We hear about quarterbacks, we hear about you know, schools like Tennessee or now recently you see like congratulations, yeah exactly, and you hear about like Miami and Oregon. Right, they've got this like one big booster. And the funny like line behind the scenes with Oregon is like, we gotta win before Phil goes. We gotta he's eighty four, we gotta make this work. And he's just throwing money into the fire. There is something great about that that, you know, it's the what the life line, life block whatever? John Ruiz at Miami, like, we shouldn't know these guys's names. But now it's sort of in the light a little bit, and they're paying players what their market, the market deems them to be worth. There's something wonderful and mysterious about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now all the under the table stuff is above the table.
Speaker 1: Some of it is, yeah, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's like I can only imagine the first big party after they got rid of prohibition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nobody knows what to do.
Speaker 2: Everybody's just like, what do.
Speaker 1: What do I do with this?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: We are true And what happens now is you'll hear recruits saying, well, I could have gotten more to go to this school, but I am a man of integrity and I'm going to Alabama or whatever for less money. It's great, it's wonderful. It's it's a new element to things. And we had that like that period of time where like not recruits, but active players are doing commercials and they still are, like you have the Nebraska dB Duck, Coldest Crawford wonderful, the air conditioning commercial. Excuse me, but now this charade is kind of fading into the background a little bit and it's just guys getting paid, which I'm great with. I love.
Speaker 2: So NIL clearly has to go through it has to go through issues, I think. So it's been such a such a big story. We have to put it in that we're in favor of it, you're in favor of it. That's over what Ohio State over Ohio State and Michigan freak outs. The one thing I did want to bring up on that on that note, and it really doesn't fit in neatly to any of the things that we're talking about here. I just wanted to read this quote from Jim Harbaugh quote as I stayed in in December. While no one knows what the future holds, I expect that I will be enthusiastically coaching at Michigan in twenty twenty three. Who am I? I expect I will be enthusiastically married It Like, yeah, what kind of a quote is that you're saying?
Speaker 1: Jim harmlas Jim Harbaugh's firm where it needs to be updated? Maybe like he's a chat what is the app? He's a chat GPT coach.
Speaker 2: Here's a little bit of so.
Speaker 1: That is what is it?
Speaker 2: An AI app?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I have to explain these jokes sometimes.
Speaker 2: Jim Harbaugh is I joked a long time ago that Jim Harbaugh is what happens when you teach human emotion to a robot. Yeah, and I stand by that he's a great coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that this is what you got? Yeah, I don't recall those Hamburgers. Yeah, isn't that what he's in trouble for? It does not compute, Nil goes through.
Speaker 2: Hey. That brings us to the semi final. All right here it is the final four, Final four straight chalk in a sense, had some early round upsets, but just like the real March badness, we get down to the top four, we've got Jimbo Fisher's buyout against transfer portal chaos.
Speaker 1: Dan, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: This is a big one.
Speaker 1: This is a big one. Well again, these are two that are linked inextricably because if you followed what Texas A and M players are doing, getting the hell out right. So I think it's probably portal chaos because it affects more teams and it's something that looms over the sport, largely in a positive way. But you never know who is coming, who is going whatever. We know Jimbo Fish is gonna leave Texas A and M. We don't know if it's this year. We know it's probably gonna happen in the next couple of years. I think Bobby Patrino is a nice agent of chaos to speed things up. Nice catalyst if you wanted to speed up the process and perhaps use the term for cause, maybe bringing Bobby Patrino to do some dirty work. Am I am? I am I implying that Bobby Patrino is a double agents. That wouldn't be fair. Yes, I am. I'm absolutely implying Bobby Patrino has been hired for a very specific reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the sheer magnitude of the portal this season, the fact that we had so many names going in, and the fact that you know, granted we'll talk about Nil here. I terily by all the tampering that we know happened that nobody talks about, and how it's inextricably linked to Nil. And it's like there is definitely a wild West quality to the portal. And what I find amusing about it is that it's always the coaches that are losing, the transfers that try to take the mortal high ground. Pat ar Doozy, Oh my god, Pat's the best patent Ardozy, as I've said before, doesn't ky, He doesn't give any fs. I won't say the word right at this point, Pat Nardoozy is like ready to speak on any and everybody who wants to hear it.
Speaker 1: I would pay five dollars a month for patn Ardozy substack. I would now sign me up. I'd probably pay twelve dollars to twenty dollars a month. If Patton Ardozy was like, here is all of the dirty laundry, I'm totally in for that substack tie. Yeah, you're absolutely right though.
Speaker 2: It's got to be the portal. Right, we got to put the number one overall seed through. I'm putting the portal through over jim What do you guys think, would you go, Jimbo? Would you go portal?
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, it's portal portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think life is too grand out here to be concerned with Jimbo Fisher.
Speaker 2: All right. That brings us to nil madness, which we just talked about versus something that on our slides before we had labeled as us see you later. And the reason we left UCLA off again is because you said, no one gives a shit.
Speaker 1: It's real tough. It's real tough to find UCLA people. Yeah, that's all, Okay, we have we have the twos, all right, nobody can see them, all right, So we've got three three U c l A people here.
Speaker 2: Here is why I think we need to pick nil. Yeah, because USC and u c l A will remain profitable for whatever conference they go into next. Right, we'll pay dividends well into the future. There will come a point in time where folks look at NIL and they say, we paid what for a freshman quarterback? The r O I will eventually catch up to the people paying this money. I'm here for that story.
Speaker 1: Do you do you remember that people with a ton of money just love spending money, and they spend it on all sorts of crazy things. I think they're underestimating that a little bit. Okay, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So are you thinking maybe it's your Southern California bias showing.
Speaker 1: I don't know, right.
Speaker 2: Are you thinking maybe USC and UCLA is probably the bigger, the bigger, so more impactful story from this college football seas maybe the one true champion.
Speaker 1: As representatives of realignment. Yes, I don't think USC and UCLA resonate. Perhaps, I mean USC resonates right, they have the Heisman Trophy winner. It's a bigger program. Whatever. I'll due respect to UCLA. I grew up at UCLA fan down here. I know what it's like to have nobody recognize who you are and your team. I miss Kate McNown There is something about the shifting wins of the sport that USC and UCLA represent, and you all of a sudden you have Big twelve and Pac twelve people yelling at each other online over TV ratings.
Speaker 2: It's awful. It's truly bad.
Speaker 1: And so because that is permeated the sport and Texas and Oklahoma leaving the sport, and it is, by the way, as an aside, it will be very fun for Oklahoma to take on Lincoln Riley and Texas A and M in a few years.
Speaker 2: I am just.
Speaker 1: It's his destiny. Do you not understand this? I don't know if it's an off season story. I mean, realignment sort of comes and goes. I don't know how much it's actually going to change the college football experience because teams aren't going away. The thing it'll change if teams like Oregon State and Washington State become like Mountain West teams. That's a big change, and that's that's a worthwhile thing to talk about. But you're saying nil madness. I think Nil is going to have a bigger grip on this sport.
Speaker 2: But we're in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: We're in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: We're in Los Angeles. Yes, you know who are we going with?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: We go in US US.
Speaker 1: The USC guy of course, said we're going to sc UCLA. Wait, hold on, are you are you happy about being a Big ten program? Are you making any money off of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So that's the thing, that's the tough thing. I will go USC UCLA just because it'll it'll. It's I was going ANIL, but people here said us the UCLA, And I'm a prisoner to these attractive people.
Speaker 2: So all right, the three is going through. Yes, let's decide our one true champion, Dan, Okay, let's do it. It is a big time matchup. It is USC UCLA leaving the PAC twelve, going east east to the Big ten. Yeah, versus transfer portal chaos. Yeah, this is a BigGAN. Who's favored and who do you got?
Speaker 1: I think I'm going portal chaos because there is something that there will be contracts drawn up with USC and UCLA leaving when they're going, What the travel looks like, what the schedules look like, what the TV listings look like. With the portal, there's nothing like you can leave once for free and then you're a grad tran you can leave again. But they're the tampering stuff, which I mean is wonderful, and I just hope we get more stories about tampering. I like I said, I'm going to subscribe to paton Ardoozy's eventual substack. I think that's what it is. I think the movement in the sport. I mean, these are both representative of movement in the sport, but I think it is the portal stuff that teams can get so much better so quickly, or teams can plug holes, or teams can become deeper that the usc UCLA thing, I think is more of a bummer. But maybe I'm a biased Oregon fan there Whereas I think the portal thing, I like chaos in this sport. I like the unpredictable, I like the novelty. So my bias says portal chaos.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing that's interesting about this, much like the much like the Dabo Sweeney versus the transfer portal that we had earlier on in this bracket is Yeah, I mean, outside of the game that we've got on Monday, outside of the playoff and some of the stories that came as a resultable season Yeah, you could argue that the USC and UCLA thing versus a transfer portal sort of defined the season even before it started. Sure, right, so this is a very representative matchup of where college football is.
Speaker 1: But how much did we talk about it as a collective? I mean, obviously was talked about here, but like during the season where there are a lot of conversations about like what the Big ten will be in twenty twenty five or whatever.
Speaker 2: It was definitely the subject of many a comment that we got on YouTube that started with kids these days.
Speaker 1: Sure, absolutely, kids these days, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, or the networks are running college.
Speaker 1: Football administrators these days.
Speaker 2: Every cynical online, extremely online college football fan had a little something to sink their teeth into with USC and UCLA leaving as well as the transfer portal in the chaos.
Speaker 1: I mean, we can just ask Mike what his winner is.
Speaker 2: Mike, could you pick.
Speaker 1: He's thinking he is a professional thinker and talking thinking.
Speaker 2: Or we can we can ask a more.
Speaker 1: Accomplished football player, Marshall, what do you think port portal? I think that's the champion, true champion.
Speaker 2: Give it up for the transfer portal, the one true champion of our college football season. Transfer portal chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the Heisman Trophy winner emerged from the transfer portal fight of right. Yeah yeah, So, I mean that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Transfer portal chaos. So amid a field of eleven other peers, some more equal than others. Transfer portal wins.
Speaker 1: I mean you've sent me borderline inappropriate messages about Sam Hartman. I got to watch bo Nick instead of whatever Mario Christobal was doing at Oregon. I'm a pretty big fan. You seem to be a pretty big fan. He's got you DM Devin Leary's high school coach. Randomly, That's not true. I just made that up. It was a one time thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tie is not a representative of the is al Borland Beard will fit in very nice.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 2: They love it.
Speaker 1: The Transfer Portal is our one true champion.
Speaker 2: One true champion. Play your hands together with the Transfer Portal. With that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hill and brand thanks for coming on out here to the Solid Heblive, Stay solid peace. All right, So here's the way this works. This microphone in between. We are gonna bring this down there. We should make people sit right next to us. Yeah, we'll bring this down to the somewhere in the middle between the seats. Yep, we'll do about a half hour Q and A typically is what we do want and most of our live show. So if you got anything you want to ask, you don't have to ask anything. If you don't want to, that's fine too, but we'll put this down there. Just line up and fire away, ask you to do it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna trip and get personal with Tie, really dig in. Smell ties. Don't smell ties hair you can?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Will?
Speaker 1: That be a new tear on Patreon. Okay,