Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, do you have a problem. Hey, if snow White is not white, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. What is the big Well, Robes, this is a huge, big production this week, the big movie coming out Snow White with a character that is not white as the lead.
Speaker 2: You had a problem, And do you know what? I hesitate because I feel like, yes.
Speaker 1: And no, it's not black or white.
Speaker 2: That is actually the truth, you know, because it isn't that simple, and a lot of it for me is the why behind it. And yeah, yeah, and also look, I think we all agree, everyone agrees there needs to be more stories with people of different races and religions and creeds and background so that people can look to and have characters to rally behind and see themselves in. But I'm all for creating these new stories. And if you want to tell stories of female empowerment and showing girls and boys with different backgrounds succeeding and winning and thriving, and that's awesome. Who wouldn't love that? But rewriting and changing and you're just going to cause controversy, You're going to piss people off. And I just don't know why it's necessary to retell old stories and change them and then expect people to embrace them.
Speaker 1: See that is where okay to that point, So let's just stick with snow White. We have, there's plenty to get there. Let's just stick with the beloved snow White. If you change and again, Rachel Zeckler is the lead character here. She's playing snow white, young lady of Polish and Columbian descent. I got that right, But no, her skin is not white as snow. This has been going on for years. When he announced she was the lead character, people took issue with Disney. People took issue with her. She was the lot of hate was directed her way, certainly unfairly.
Speaker 2: She was a breakout star, a young star for being cast in Steven Spielberg's rendition remake of West Side Story, where she played Maria, a girl of Hispanic descent. That makes perfect sense. She was perfectly cast for that role. She's an amazing talent, incredible voice, and she fit the role as it was traditionally written. And that works.
Speaker 1: Okay, So she comes along. Of course, a lot of people just upset, why do you have to take this story? And when Disney announced they're doing a live action version. Why do you have to take this lead character and make her something other than what we know her as remember her as, and she historically was a character who had skin as white as snow now, so let me just stick with that initial thing. Should snow white ever be played ever by anyone other than someone who looks like they have white skin?
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that. I really don't. I just I don't like the idea of them doing it deliberately to be woke. That is annoying to me. I think there was incredible success. We talked about this with what Linn Manuel did with Hamiltons. I thought that was so cool. You made history interesting when you only have a bunch of white men, and now you make them cool honestly by giving a different kind of music, a different kind of reflection on history. That all made brilliant sense to me. This feels contrived and like almost deliberately controversial and woke it. They had plenty of people they could have.
Speaker 1: Chosen deliberately placating. Is that yes?
Speaker 2: And I think that is what's irritating.
Speaker 1: Okay, plenty of people they could have chosen. Here'sn't a thought what if she was the best.
Speaker 2: Then that's different.
Speaker 1: What if they were I don't know this, No one has said that. But what if they were able to look through all of their options and she actually crushed it and was the best option for this role. I do not know that. I don't know when Disney first set out to do a remake, if they said we don't want snow White to be white, I don't think. We don't know that was said. Was it open to everybody? I certainly would embrace if they open casting for snow White and they said everybody's welcome. Sure, that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with that either. I really don't. And I think if she is, and she may have been the absolute best person for the role, it just no one's said that. And I just wonder how deliberate it was to find someone specifically who was not white because they thought that would be cool. And that is at this point, that is I don't know how to feel about that. Look. I don't think that we have to stick to exactly look castings. We know from movies. You have a role, whoever wrote the role or wrote the screenplay has an idea of who the character is, and oftentimes if you look at scripts, they have a description of what the character looks like, so I don't obviously we know this was a character that was specifically written for a specific looking person, and therefore her character's name is snow White because as you pointed out, her skin was as white as snow. So this was a role that was written for that look. I can see why some people would take issue with it, because is this going too far? I think there is oftentimes when there is a need for diversity and a need for bigger and better and more interesting and more complete stories to be told, that's so true. But when you feel like it's an overcorrection, or if it's a decision made to be woke, that's when it feels inauthentic and a little icky. But I don't know. I don't know what the decision was behind it.
Speaker 1: Having a non white snow and white does it? No matter what? Is it ultimately going to do more good than it does harm in that there are going to be a lot more little girls looking at snow White and seeing themselves in this character, seeing themselves reflect it. Does this widen that full of inspiration? I think a little girl of color can certainly be inspired by seeing a white character and in the reverse, of course, but does that it help in that way? It can't hurt, obviously, but does it take away from is anybody turned off because snow white skin isn't white as snow in a movie opening this week?
Speaker 2: I think some people are turned.
Speaker 1: Off, I mean to be upset by I think so far. Okay, obviously they are, and that controversy has been out there now we're talking about just going back and forth on just what they call, I guess race switching, race swapping or something in Hollywood. But this movie has been in trouble for a number of reasons. Now Rachel Zegler and Gal Goadote, who stars in the movie as well. Look, they are worried now about this movie because these two actresses have said some things that have turned some people off. I guess Robes, as you have gotten more into it, I guess Rachel Zegler has more of a history of some comments that really turned people off.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting. Recently we've been hearing all about Gal Gadot, so that is what I know. She is an Israeli actress, and she has made pro Israel comments, which actually isn't that to me controversial. Given where she is from and where she was raised, it's not surprising her allegiances would be to her home country. However, that of course has brought the ire from Palestinian folks who say, hey, you need to also show some empathy and show some concern for the Palestinians in this conflict. So I get that controversy. What I hadn't realized until I really started digging a little bit deeper is Rachel Zegler's comments that have caused controversy have dated back since I believe many many years, because this has been a film in the work since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's twenty three, is you know, so a lot of the stuff she was a very old.
Speaker 2: She was young, and so she has put some things out on what's now known as X and then had to delete them. But yes, she has made some comments that have drawn ire in reference to modernizing the story of Snow White, and in reference to her political beliefs in this country and to her feelings on the Middle East conflict. So she's got a trifecta of comments that have caused some controversy.
Speaker 1: First of all, those are the three things your publicists say, don't touch these three things.
Speaker 2: So where do you want to do? You want to start with.
Speaker 1: What, you know, what I was the comments. Let me let me go with the specifically about the movie. First of all. Okay, and so if people didn't already give her much favor and our snow white fans, this didn't.
Speaker 2: Help correct So she well, first of all, the first tweet that I know that she had to delete on X was when she said, yes I am snow white. No, I am not bleaching my skin for the role. She had to delete that. That brought a lot of hate her way, as she said. Then she said, speaking of the original film, she said they were going to modernize it, but she said, but our version is a refreshing story about a young woman who has a function beyond someday my principle come. She's dreaming about the leader. She knows she can be all right. But then she went to go on and say that the nineteen thirty seven original version had a big focus on her love story with a guy who literally stalks her. Weird, weird, So we didn't do that this time. She also said she was scared of the original film. She watched it once, but she could never watch it again. So she for people who love the film, who grew up with the film, who feel a real sense of nostalgia about the film, she just kind of spit in their faces.
Speaker 1: So Prince Charming is his name? Yes?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Is this the right guy?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, he's a stalker, That's what she said. We have all come up with this dude, and he was a stalker.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? This reminds me of a beloved Christmas song that people now call a rape song. It's you know in I think we have to at least give some of these stories, even that song, a little bit of perspective that those times and look, even as someone my age I was, I grew up looking for Prince Charming. I understand why that narrative is outdated. I understand I have two daughters where we want to empower our young girls. But what's is it something so terrible to dream about a prince? Is it so terrible to have a prince kit with a kiss? Wake you up? I mean, you know, I get we're all trying. Like even Frozen went on to say that the love story was between sisters, not about a guy, and we're doing that a lot. We're seeing that a lot, and that's wonderful. But is it so wrong for a girl to fall in love with a guy and to be happy. I don't know. I just feel like sometimes we go too far in the other direction. So that upset a lot of people.
Speaker 1: So now those were tough, Well, those were tough. It almost sounds as if and you and I have been watching this a lot recently, guy, in anticipation. We've been watching some of the comments and the updates and the interviews she's been given, and it's one of the things she does was make sure she gives absolute respect to that previous version. Now she does, Now she does. She's so careful in what she says, and that poor thing. I mean, I know she's got to be terrified at this point because this is a two hundred and fifty million dollar movie. Yes, that is possibly in a little bit of trouble because of controversy.
Speaker 2: So she had all of that controversy right, and then when the elections were held just a few months ago, after November, she went back on to X and she had to delete this tweet. But I'm going to go ahead. Can I just say the expletive I'm sure they'll just leap me out.
Speaker 1: Well, if you have to ask, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna say so. After the election, she put this out on x She tweeted, this is Rachel Zegler Trump and made Trump supporters and Trump voters and Trump himself never know peace.
Speaker 1: Okay, all those Trump supporters are moviegoers. You can't turn off half the country by Okay, maybe she made a mistake. I don't know what she was in her moment, but obviously she knows that was a.
Speaker 2: Bad she did oologized later. She deleted the post and said she let her emotions get the best of her. However, it's really hard to unsay some things like that. And to your point, more than half the country voted for President Trump. And now you're asking the entire country and frankly the world to come to your movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the last one on the Then? Yes?
Speaker 2: And so. Then she also posted this on X She posted, free Palestine. I can't watch children die. I don't think that should be a hot take.
Speaker 1: Did she take that one down?
Speaker 2: I didn't see that she took that one down. And yes, she doubled down when asked about it to a magazine. That's when she said I can't watch children die. I don't think that should be a hot take, but yeah, she posted free Palestine.
Speaker 1: So as much was we talking about the movie. Getting back to what our debate really is about, is is it okay if snow White ain't white? And I don't know if it's gotten hotter because of her, not because she's non white, but because she's all right, we already don't like that you got the role, but now you're just giving us easy little bait to take here. Is it hotter because of some of that stuff?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And I think you know you pointed out her age. I have a daughter who is one year younger than her, and she's also very passionate about her beliefs. And I just think especially this younger generation. I sound old now, but with the empowerment of social media and TikTok and just feeling like you are protected by others who think like you and you don't recognize that there are so many others who don't think like you, and the backlash that that can create. I think there's a I don't want to be patronizing to say that she's naive, but she's twenty three and aren't you just inherently naive, even if you've been a movie star, and even if you've been in the public eye, you don't really understand fully the weight of your words. Perhaps, and maybe she is learning that the hard way, But I think there's this sense of empowerment. I can say what I want. It's my voice needs to be heard. I need to speak up. And so I'm sure she felt passionate and felt like she was doing something and speaking on behalf of people in her generation who aren't afraid to speak out.
Speaker 1: So to this point, with her as a lead character, we've seen this several times in some very famous and very controversial cases. But I asked that question at the top, is that, okay, if snow white isn't white? And I don't think this is a blanket question either, as I ask it, can anyone play anyone? Can any actor no eligibly play anyone? No, that is no a question? But why right? Based on I don't want to go with age, I mean, just.
Speaker 2: Take marginalized communities.
Speaker 1: I mean, where right Johnny Depp played Tanto?
Speaker 2: How long ago was that?
Speaker 1: Ten plus? I mean what was that? Probably fifteen?
Speaker 2: Exactly? The world has changed significantly when it comes to wokeism.
Speaker 1: In the last wint And played the ancient one in Doctor Strange that wasn't that long ago. What I'm saying is, when we go, when we think about it, sometimes there is a whitewashing that takes place that we don't necessarily get the same screaming and yelling about when it But when it's a white character, a famous white character that they tweak, there is a different type of backlash. I think folks would really understand why.
Speaker 2: Certainly, well, you've got snow white, then you've got like black Panther, right, so obviously it would never be okay if there was any kind of a remake where a white person would play anyone in Black.
Speaker 1: Panther, I would watch that show.
Speaker 2: But let me, what do you think about it? You know, do you feel like there is that anyone can play any role?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me throw a couple of factors in for you. Does it matter if it's a fictional or a real character. Does that actually make a difference? Possibly it does. Do you care if the race has changed if that character is a fictional character, a Superman, a whatever it may be, an Ariel, yeah, okay, versus a real person like Thomas Jefferson, George wash Ch Hamlin, that kind of a thing. It's tough to I hate to put Hamilton into this conversation because even Lynn Manuel admited this was a They weren't playing the guys necessarily. They had the names, but they were new, totally new iterations, so it was hard to just say he's You're not given Thomas Jefferson's words. So that's a hard comparison. But we saw an easy switch, and plus you had hip hop. That's kind of a different beast. But does it make a difference, Right, nobody's gonna a white guy's not gonna play Malcolm X, right, and that kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: Use we're talking about race right now. But you can also now there is a huge, huge push in Hollywood that a gay person should play a gay character, and a trans person should play a trans character, and you should not. You know, a deaf character should be played by a deaf actor. So I guess there is a question about art too, because aren't actors. Isn't that this whole point that you step into the role or into the world of another person and you learn it and you craft it. It's not about playing someone like you, or someone who looks like you, or someone who acts like you, but actually someone who's completely different than you. That's part of the craft, that's part of the skills. So we're getting into a point and I'm some of this is necessary, and so I'm not. But you do get to a point where who can play what roles? And why I don't I don't know the answer.
Speaker 1: You hadn't made a good You made a good point on earlier about the motivation matters, right, if it's coming from a good place, there's thought put into it, and even the appearance or the background of the character is put into the story, woven in some way. That's one thing. It's another of just let's make a black just because, and we're trying to appear to be more diverse.
Speaker 2: That's a different feeling as a Black American. Would you prefer to have new stories told with black characters or people from different colors and backgrounds, or is it the same to take old stories and retell them using like Does one make a bigger difference than the other. Because I have read online that there are plenty of black people who are offended by this, saying don't throw us a bone or placate us, or say you're showing diversity by taking a white story and just putting black actors in there? Is that offensive in any ways?
Speaker 1: It depends certainly on how it's done. I was saying earlier, but I don't think it's done well. We have too often. But Black Panther, right, that was a phenomenon, and a lot of folks didn't get why that was such a big deal to us. But for some a black, certainly a man, to get superhero treatment in that way is just unheard of. Look, I'm sitting here at forty seven now, but I was into my thirties before I ever dreamed that this country could have a black president. I grew up not looking at a Barack Obama. I didn't have that as an example. So I love the original and the idea of possibility of black stories. Black Panther is the best example you can come up with in recent history. But Jesus' criminy. The problem is that was twenty sixteen. I'm sitting here with you at twenty Yes, it was that long.
Speaker 2: Ago, but it was more impactful for you to have a black panther.
Speaker 1: Looking at that that that's me a reflection. It is not just putting my skin tone on somebody you created to be white.
Speaker 2: Right, so if you made a Superman is black, it would not have had I don't think the same impact as Black Panther.
Speaker 1: No, I just don't want to see a black Superman flying a while around just because now I think that could be a great film and and it's done well. If we get to a point that him being black has nothing to do with the story, that he's not asked a single question during the press junket about being a black man. If we get to that point, hell, yes, But until we get there that yes, to your point, Black Panther meant more to me because it is a black story versus just throwing my skin tone on somebody you have always imagined to be white. Now there is it? Okay? We talk about Ari's album is a good example of people really thought it was a possibility he could be the next James Bond. You know I Love Me from James Bond. Does that character matter? He was fictional in the British Secret Service, always been depicted as white. Does it change a thing to see a black man or any other color man playing that role? To me?
Speaker 2: I would just want that man to play that role to be British.
Speaker 1: That's it, That's all with you right there.
Speaker 2: For me, that keeps true to the character. His skin color or skin tone doesn't matter too much as much to me as the fact that he's British.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point, So Zendaia, I think you mentioned her here at the beginning, played MJ and Superman. MJ was traditionally but pale skin, redheaded. Yep, right, yes, did that make a difference at all in that movie To not see a white, redheaded MJ didn't mix.
Speaker 2: To me at all.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: So, and this is where we get Halle Bailey.
Speaker 1: Some different territory, Halle Bailey, ariol that was all she got so much.
Speaker 2: So much because there's a oh, you know, white skinned mermaid Ariel, who is this famous iconic and yes she was animated, but even in Broadway, you know, anytime anyone wore an Ariel costume to school, which I think my girls might have one time for it was the red wig and the so yes, it was such an iconic girl. People really had a hard time wrapping their heads around that.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at another one here. There's a lot of redheads. Annie. There was a remake not too terribly long ago, probably past ten years, Black Girl play Danny. Does that character need to keep that red hair and that pale, freckled face.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, it's just so iconic with the role.
Speaker 1: That the look of that character goes with that. Yeah. See, that's the question. If the race plays you being, whatever ethnicity plays, is a factor in the identity of that character, then it needs to stay in that race.
Speaker 2: I would say, I feel like it's just it doesn't feel like what is the reasoning behind it that again, if you can tell me why, then that's fine.
Speaker 1: But not just a reimagining. Is that enough?
Speaker 2: I just would prefer another story to be told, a different story to be told. I don't know why we have to to rewrite.
Speaker 1: Was that one different enough? It was Jamie Foxx playing the billionaire in town.
Speaker 2: Daddy Warbucks. I actually so, I saw that on Broadway and I thought it was amazing. So I was actually gonna say Daddy Warbucks didn't. But Annie and her iconic red hair with a there's just something about that look, you know what. I did see it on Broadway and it didn't bother me at all. But I can understand why it sometimes rubs people the wrong way because they're wondering if you're doing it just to do it, just to get the controversial comments, just to get people to watch it. But if there's good that comes from it, what harm did it actually do? Not very much? You know, That's how I look at it.
Speaker 1: Y Are Shahiti played tinker Bell in a recent Peter Pan and Wendy, a remake of a classic. Michael B. Jordan played Johnny Storm Fantastic Four, historically been a white character. Now, there was an updated Scooby Doo that was on HBO Max that Minnie Kling was behind and it was called Velma, and so it was the whole crew together, but the crew did look like the crew that we grew up with on Scooby Doo. Velma is act actually bisexual and of South Asian descent. Shaggy is now a black man, and then one other character is Asian, I believe as well. Now to diversify that crew, that's an iconic crew for all of us coming up, Scoofy, Shaggy for that crew, love Love Love. Do you update it for a new generation? Does it matter? I haven't seen the show so I can't say what those roles play into their characters.
Speaker 2: And the way for me, having a new round, a new generation love the same type of goofy storytelling that was silly, family fun does not bother me at all of the If the new characters, yeah they're not going back and doing the same episodes and redoing them, but just switching out skin tones. That feels strange, but yeah, when you're retelling it and you've got it, so you're getting an entire new generation to see different stories. I'm sure there are slightly different scenarios. If it weren't for those what are they meddling kids, I would have gotten away with it. I'm sure hopefully they can. Honestly, I'd be more upset if they somehow took that line out.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that it is. So if you close it to your point, it just closed your eyes and everybody can imagine the crew from Scooby Doo yep, now Shaggy just make them black, Just color them in black and give them a fade like that type of thing. Just putting the color on top, doesn't it feels inauthentical. You have to have a good story. So yes, it was a retelling to your point, which makes more sense to you.
Speaker 2: And so I think that is what Disney was trying to do with this snow White, because they did change the story slightly. They did take out snow White and the Seven Dwarves, which is what it was originally called, correct and now it's just snow White. So they did say it was a retelling, and perhaps in that vein with exactly the argument we are making, I guess they're saying, see, that's what we were doing. That's what we are doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yes, if that is what they're doing, and they're trying to open this up and show change the story a little bit and have it more about empowerment and female empowerment and not having to be saved by a prince and all these things, and they're going to make no ideaverse. But Peter Dinkledge says, wait a minute, Disney, then why the hell did you do this to the Seven Dwarfs.
Speaker 2: So there are two issues with the Seven Dwarfs. First, they didn't use little people, so they didn't use actual actors. They used CGI. So there are plenty of little people who are in acting who are available. You couldn't find seven amazing little people who can act to actually give them roles, iconic roles that they were literally meant to play.
Speaker 1: You just broke my heart. I didn't think about it that way. There's gotta be a shortage of roles already for them. Yes, this is one where there are seven there are star seven starring roles, and we don't want you all for any of them. I'm thinking about it that way. This would not just because those are a lot of options, seven roles available, but it's on the biggest stage possible. What that could have meant exactly?
Speaker 2: So that was to me, that's a huge missed opportunity, and that was a huge part of Yes, some of the criticism, but it's not just that. And Peter Dinklage, I love this man. I mean he is one of the most brilliant actors ever, I believe, not just because I love Game of Thrones, but he's just please, elf, I don't even get me started. I love Peter ding.
Speaker 1: I'm never gonna get you started on that man.
Speaker 2: Oh he's an angry ye okay, sorry, what's the one about the meat in the chair. He's like, you're not Santa, you smell like meat.
Speaker 1: And cheese, you sit on a throne. That's the one.
Speaker 2: Yes. Anyway, I sorry that will say that for a Christmas episode. But so the other thing is, this is what Peter Dinkliche said. He said, you know, so if you're talking about the film and it's heroin being modernized, the fact that you still have seven dwarves with names like Dopey, you know that has to be questioned as well. So I'm going to quote Peter Dinklisch there. He said, I was a little taken aback. They were very proud to cast a Latina actress a snow White, but you're still telling the story of snow White and the seven Dwarves. Take a step back and look at what you're doing there. It makes no sense to me. You're progressive in one way, but you're still making that looking backward story about seven dwarves living in a cave together. Have I done nothing to advance the cause? From my soapbox? I guess I'm not loud enough.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean from him, Okay, I mean, how you take issue with that? And I didn't think about it that way until I actually ended up seeing his comments. That's devastating.
Speaker 2: You can't modernize one group and say we're woke on this issue. But you know what, the other big part of this story, we're not even gonna give you acting roles, and we're gonna still have you called dopey and grumpy and so like. If you're gonna change the story, it's a slippery slope because if you're gonna try to make one character or some characters look better in the world we live in and empower them, but you don't do that for another huge part of the story, which happens to be a very marginalized community who has overlooked in so many ways and completely overlook them while making this film. That's hard to defend.
Speaker 1: You to that even I think they did. I can't remember the actors. I'm trying to look it up here, but he is a little person who did some voice work. I believe you know what I'm talking about, all I do. He was upset about a lot of the premieres and a lot of things being canceled because of controversy, and again they didn't get the role in the movie. But now here's an opportunity to walk a red carpet, to be out there to talk about it and they're not getting that opportunity either. That's that's Peter Dinklis. He is he is, Yes, he is the one. He has been out there. But to his point, are certain people screaming louder than others? Are certain people's voices being value? The answer is yes.
Speaker 2: The answer is yes, and certain voices are heard more than others, and you are. I mean, I think that he just nailed it when he said that.
Speaker 1: So I don't know before all of this we've been talking about several weeks. Now that's coming out. I don't know if it would have been on my list of things to watch, but it might be now out of curiosity and quite frankly, I hear the movie is good, like it's a great Disney spectacle. They know how to put on a movie like.
Speaker 2: This, and Rachel Zegler can sing, oh there's talent, she can say beyond how did you find? Oh? Yes, I do so. The little person who he was on one hand defending Disney because he said it gave him his life, it gave him his career and he was able at least to voice grumpy. His name is Martin Klebba and he was in the Pirates of the Caribbean. So he's done a lot of work with Disney, so he didn't want to throw them under the bus, so to speak.
Speaker 1: But and folks, you know his face. As soon as you see him, you say, oh, yeah, you can't remember what he was in, but he was very prominently featured in the.
Speaker 2: Parts of the Caribbean. Yes, so you know, he just said, yeah, you could have tried to find seven little people, and he you know, so it's hard to not say you can't say that they couldn't have. Of course they could have, and they chose not to. That was a decision. So that's you know, there are just we were starting down this podcast path by saying, okay, wow, is it okay to have snow White not be white? And then you start looking at all the other controversies. This has been a lightning rod and it's coming at it from so many different places. I have a question for you. It just dawned on me while we were talking snow White being played by a Latina actress, and people are that's controversial, right, Could snow White be played by a black actress?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Would it be? Would the controversy be any different?
Speaker 1: I very similar? Certainly intense, but I think it would be intense from two sides, right. I think we are just there's a dearth of roles for black folks in these very prominent ways. Now, I am I would be more on board if it was a black actress and there's a retelling I am putting a black one. I am very glad it's not a black woman that's being put in this role right now. A retelling. And we were talking about this earlier. We haven't said it yet before we started Brandy Cinerelli playing Cinderella. Yes, it was a black Cinderella, but the whole story.
Speaker 2: Rudy Houston was the fairy Godmother and they retold it and it came from a black lens, and so it made sense to cast.
Speaker 1: Black brothers Wizard of the Wiz the Wiz best favor again telling it's a retelling of the story. So no, I don't just want to see a black actress there.
Speaker 2: The music was changed, the cultural significance of it all a shame, so it made sense. It didn't feel inauthentic. It was an authentic retelling of a parallel story. And I think that's super cool, and I think that's an awesome thing for everyone to see and witness.
Speaker 1: There's a do you know there was a Rapunzel coming, There's a Tangled. They're doing a live action version, and this young lady just believe Indian actress in the American I believe I have that right. Just her being rumored, everybody came after her, just being rumored possibly to be a part of Rapunzel Entangled. People came after her.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not kind or fair at all. That's terrible and awful. Again, I do believe that is the role of an actor to assume different characters and different roles and make them your own. And I think that's one of the cool things about the art and craft of acting. But I do think that when you do and when you're a company and you make a choice to remake a traditional story, and especially something like snow White, you're going to have to expect people to be upset when you change it so much that it doesn't even maybe feel like the original, and yet you're trying to tell an original story. It's not the Whiz, it's not Brandy sindirect. It's that those are yes, those are very different. Now we haven't seen snow White and we were going to see it correct. I think we have to know.
Speaker 1: This has nothing to do about a criticism of the movie, nothing at all. This is just this debate that continues to happen and probably will continue to happen, that it's okay we hate to leave a white character white, and it's also sometimes okay to make that white character not white anymore. It really is a case by case basis, but sometimes it feels like forced diversity. You don't like that. I don't like that. I don't like this push. And if you're just putting a black character up there, and then every producer, every writer, every grip guy, everybody on set is still majority white, you're not diversifying anything. You're just trying to make people out there think you're diverse. I ain't on board with that.
Speaker 2: It's patronizing.
Speaker 1: Yes, that doesn't feel good, but this will continue to come up.
Speaker 2: And who Like we were just in La we saw the protests around the you know, the skilled back.
Speaker 1: We didn't need Opening night.
Speaker 2: We didn't even know because.
Speaker 1: It was blocked off with these huge bushes. You couldn't even tell that there was a premiere happening. Yes, all the stars we walked right past where it was happening.
Speaker 2: Had no idea.
Speaker 1: Because the only reason we had a general idea is because there were protess on the corner.
Speaker 2: So it's been you know, massively scaled back. And then we saw gal Gado getting her star. We saw them literally buffing it. We were walking by, and then we saw them set up the tents as we were leaving for her big moment, her big star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. But so that controversy was so fresh in my mind because we were hearing about the Palestinian conflict with Hamas and Gaza. But when you really start taking a look at this movie, it has It has been under fire for years now.
Speaker 1: And that's too bad because a lot of people did good work on this movie for sure, and again from all accounts, it is a good movie.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see how it does.
Speaker 1: Go up for it is the thing. It's gotten me interested. I'm curious to see it now. I wouldn't have gone. I'm just not my jam.
Speaker 2: I am so excited. You're gonna go see it with me?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, No, we're in Okay, call him up. Everybody wants to go see it. But are people going to now go see it because of the controversy. Are people going to sit out because of the controversy? Do you think any little white girl is looking at this now? Oh, she's not white anymore. I'm not interested.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I don't think that's going to stop any little girl. And frankly, as a mom my girls are grown, but that would never ever say they aren't telling the story right, Nah, But I think there is some eye rolling and we'll know how people feel when we see what this opening weekend ends up being.
Speaker 1: Well, we've had actually all day today as we're recording here, we're in the living room and we have had Snow White on, had it playing on the original y is the original just during the day. There's still something about it. Yes, obviously there were issues with it, but there's still something nostalgic about it. It makes you go just ah, I just look up and see grumpy and whistle.
Speaker 2: Why you work?
Speaker 1: I mean, there's something about it that still brings true to your heart, makes you smile.
Speaker 2: It's nostalgia. It's your childhood's We all grew up watching it and singing it. And you know what, maybe this new movie will have a whole new generation loving it for lots of different reasons, and us old people can just go away.
Speaker 1: And shut up. Old people go away to shut up. Now we will go see it, probably won't come back and do a review, but we kind of want to intentionally talk about this before we went to see it, so we wouldn't have been because we're gonna love Rachel in it, and then we would come back and say, well, I'm sure she didn't mean to sing that, okay, but we wanted to get this out ahead of time, so enjoy it. Watch it if you want to enjoy it. But for now I'm teaching.
Speaker 2: And I'm Amy. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Put the Guts