Speaker 1: Just start cutting the sleeves off my shirts before I record, so that I can just have full range of motion.
Speaker 2: You know, should rip them off like Hule cod Back Dice, Obrian.
Speaker 1: Dice, the Dice Man. We have a lot in common. A lot of people have made that comparison before I should. I should and would rip them off like hul Cogan in the sense that it would take me forty five to fifty seconds to rip them off, and it would look shitty, It would look really.
Speaker 3: Really more sleeves underneath too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just more sacks all the way down.
Speaker 2: Sleeves, sleeves all the way down.
Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, seventy three, Episode three of Dirty's I Guys Stay production of iHeart Radio. This is a podcast we take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. It's Wednesday, January twenty ninth, twenty twenty five. Holy shit? Is it ever? January twenty ninth, twenty twenty five. My name's Jack O'Brien. AKA. If you're starting communes there lessons my son, you don't want to be wake Midsummer Act one hit me. That is courtesy of housey On Saladin reference to ninety nine problems. And also my kids like really have like fond memories anytime we're like at a big group thing where we just like hang out with a bunch of people. And I'm suggesting that the children may in fact crave the communes. After all, they might they might want to be back in more of a tribal setting than just like single family homes. I just I remember that from when I was a kid too, just like, get me out of here, get me out of this house, just put me. I would rather be in a stranger's house, like a sleep I will do a sleepover at the house of a person who I don't care for, just to be like in with other people, you know. Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined by a very special guest co host, very funny stand up comedian, writer, actor, improviser, biomedical engineer. It's Polibal.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, it's me Miles.
Speaker 1: Actually, Oh my god, that is such a good impression. Thought, are people getting mad at you for being his like because.
Speaker 2: It suggest I did burn down his house? And you know, you've never seen me in Miles' house in the same space, so maybe I did.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about who did and it's not pology. That would be an amazing fucking plot twist like that would be That would be a Howie Mandel podcast level plot twist if we had you on and then had a story in which we revealed that you, in fact were responsible for the Los Angeles fires. But uh no, spoiler alert, it was private equity. Once again, did everybody see the Howie Mandel podcast clip of Bill Burr and Billy Corgan. No, Let's introduce our guests, and then I want to I want to tell the story just because it's I think a lot of people have seen it, and I don't think anybody knows what to make, like if it's a bit or not. But first, Paul, once again, this is this is a pairing we like so much that you guys guessed I need at least every other to be this guest in our third seat. The creator of Red dot Comics. You can go to Patreon right now to gain access to her tastefully and appropriate work. Please welcome back to the show. It's camp window.
Speaker 3: A aka the carpet matches the drapes, because I guy.
Speaker 4: Both that's how it's done.
Speaker 2: I asked for help for an aka this morning that was the best to go.
Speaker 1: That was good. Well, welcome to whoever helped you? Did I say, who helped me on mine? That was on salad Shout out to hous on Salad in the aka discord doing the Lord's Work, The Lord's Work. This is a podcast about Christ and his good works and the fires.
Speaker 2: If we didn't shift hard praising the Lord. I keep trying to do a joke in stand up about how it's the fires happened because I'm just like so gay and nobody likes it.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to hear that.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants to hear how except that one guy in a cool way, so that one guy who is on the local news being like, I why is there those fires?
Speaker 1: Though I think it's because people are gay anyways, that that guy a true hero. The Howie Mandel podcast is he has Bill Burro on. Seems like it's very standard, you know, comedian interview, comedian podcast. And then Billy Corgan shows up and suddenly I Bill Burr is like, uh, I knew you were gonna fucking do this. Like rather than being like, oh, Billy Corrigan, lead singer of the Spashion Pumpkins, that's cool, He's like oh Jesus Christ. I'm like, oh, okay, they have history, and do they ever It's revealed over the course of the interview that there's a suspicion that they have the same father, that like Bill Burr's father was a traveling salesman and they pumpkins across the Great Nation. And Bilber's so funny and mean about it. He's just like, do you ever think that maybe, like I had, I don't talk about this all the time because I don't want to, but Howie Mandel is a complete He's just like, what what's wrong. I'm just, you know, playing dumb Billy Corgan seems very uncomfortable. But yeah, it's they like they're like, yeah, we think he named us both Bill so he wouldn't like get us mixed up and wouldn't Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait is that like a legit?
Speaker 1: That's the question that everybody asks right away. I've found both side. I've found people being like, well, you can see on Twitter or you can see on Wikipedia that like Billy Corgan's dad is a different name or something like that. But it just the way it's played like it it feels like a weird. If it's a bit it's like Bill the first Bill Burr bit that I've ever been like, huh you know.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like didn't get that.
Speaker 1: It was a bit yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well Billy Corgan is one year older than Bill Burr, so that's his big.
Speaker 1: Broa dude, hey, big brother. He just immediately started Billy Billy Corgan's a big Cubs fan, and he just immediately starts shitting on the Cubs, which, again, Bill Burr is on a roll. Guy cannot do any wrong my book, or are you gonna say camp Oh, they.
Speaker 3: Just need to take a twenty three in me, just do it all.
Speaker 2: I know. It was like why didn't how we like, I know he's like a germaphobe, but just like grab one of the mugs they drink out of.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, exactly do the detective work man. This is what you do. You should Okay, you set that situation up. Yes, it's uncomfortable. If you were a true showman who had learned the lesson of deal or no deal and the importance of a big reveal. You have a model standing with a briefcase nearby. You say, actually, the last time you were both on, I did snag your coffee cups and send them to twenty three at me and in that briefcase, I have the answer are you or are you not? Brothers? And then you know that that's entertainment, baby, that's prestige casting. To quote Anna Josy in a way that she's gonna be very mad about. But it's that that would have been something. So my overall takeaway, I don't know if it's like been factually proven, if it's just a suspicion that Bill Burr would just rather not like look into her talk about. Main my main takeaway is Howie Mandel is a bigger asshole when I was giving him credit for for doing that, but that is so funny.
Speaker 2: And it's also like, who has the balls to piss off Bill Burr? I know, right who would?
Speaker 3: There's no taking it back. I know, there's no what taking it back? If you're recording with Bill Burr, that's there forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody, A lot of people are gonna watch this, and he knew that and that's probably why he did it to launch the How He Cast or whatever the fuck his podcast is called. Anyways, Kim, it's wonderful having you here. We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment.
Speaker 2: By bringing out your long loss Bill Burg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also Bill Burr Bilberg. His dad was fucking all right, we're gonna talk. We're going to do a speed run through some stories here, but we've got one that I feel like we need to take our time with up top. This investigation from Matt Stoller in the newsletter Big, not connected to the eighties comedy about a woman inadvertently becomes a sex offender due to carnival magic, but it's just the Big Newsletter where he looks into the relationship between private equity and the Los Angeles fires. Private equity is a cancer on this country, is making crippling a lot of our society. And you know, we've been talking about it for a while, and sure enough, their fingerprints were all over what happened in La. So we'll talk about that. Well, I mean, the Trump like as with the first administration, more so than the first administration, it's just a fucking fire hose.
Speaker 4: Of bad whoa fire hose, yes, a fire hose that this this fire hose was not purchased and made to cost a million dollars by private equity, unlike the fire hoses in Los Angeles but just a non stop.
Speaker 1: Fire hose of bullshit. So we'll just we'll try and do a speed run through a handful of the latest things, such as the pause on spending, which we talked about a little bit on yesterday's trending, his like trade war with Columbia, which he spelled with a U instead of he spelled it like Columbia University in the executive like statement.
Speaker 2: But if he went through with it and just stopped trading with Columbia University.
Speaker 1: Columbia University, that's what we met.
Speaker 2: I meant to do that protest or whatever.
Speaker 1: I actually this was the first time that I learned that they're spelled differently. So I'm a fucking idiot. But you know, I'm also not the president. I don't have a presidential cabinet of people, you know, fact checking or spell checking.
Speaker 2: You're my president.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thank you so much, Polly. I've been waiting for somebody to say that to me.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to keep this job.
Speaker 1: This is the way shit is right now. I just got to tell people there, you're president. To keep your job. We'll tell the doomsday clock to fuck off because it keeps coming with needless updates. We'll talk about a church or a shark that gave virgin birth a bunch of shit, all of that, plenty more. But first, Kim, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: Bath pillows? I like taking bubble baths and my neck hurts and I want a pillow.
Speaker 1: Okay, and how are we achieving this? Is it with a giant sponge right now?
Speaker 3: It's just to fold it up towel that gets really wet, and it's just annoying to deal with afterwards, and I just want to relax. So I looked up just like bath pillows, but they suck.
Speaker 2: So I'm going with a pool toy. I'm just gonna have that. Yeah, keep it whimsical, keep.
Speaker 1: It fun, just like a rolled up That's what Dandolf said, keep it, keep it fun, keep it fun, to keep it whimsical, keep it fun, keep it that's right. Yeah, I was gonna say, like a pool noodle, just rolled up cinnabond style.
Speaker 2: You know it was, Oh my gosh, I would be so worried about it just bursting out. Yeah, I feel like you can just get like a baby floaty, you know, like a kid's exactly like.
Speaker 1: Things.
Speaker 2: You're still my president, Jack, thank you.
Speaker 1: And see I'm the type of president who can listen to conflicting opinions, but then I will send censure you later and cut off funding for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cold bath, great, Kim. I can't do baths. I can't. I can't do because I'm like the tub needs to be it's always like not clean enough for me, so that I'm thinking about laying it, you know what I mean. And then I'm like, you could watch it before, you could watch it after, but now that's more prep you know, so that I'm like not relaxed getting into it. I prefer getting into like a shower that's so hot your boyfriend thinks something's wrong with you, and then just falling asleep standing up right like that is my version of relaxing in that. Have you had a shower beer? A shower? What beer? A shower beer? So I have regular beers, but that sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, extra relaxation right there. You don't do in a bathtub because you'll drown and die. But if you drink in a shower, you'll just let it all go down the dream.
Speaker 2: You sound such like such a wealthy woman right now. Shower to beer, that's what they don't watch it to have.
Speaker 3: This is my shower champagne honey that we don't serve to guess.
Speaker 1: You have a specific shower champagne cup. Yeah. I I've definitely partaken in shower beers in the past. And you know, it doesn't need to be beer. You can have a nice shower bev. I think I've found that the thing that I enjoy about the shower beverage is like the contrast between the cold and the heat of the shower is kind of thing we discussed a while back a Reddit. There's a i think an entire subreddit about shower oranges oranges. Yeah, just people who eat oranges in the shower.
Speaker 2: And specifically oranges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like at the time, it kind of made sense to me because you just peel, let the peel fall on the ground. But peels are like easy to like ap peels for Yeah, they like make it smell good. And then you also get that contrast of like cool juiciness mixed with hot shower vibes hot shower energy.
Speaker 2: This is what we're coming up with. While China is doing AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need more shower food options.
Speaker 2: Soup not working.
Speaker 1: Soup No, Yeah, I think I think it needs to be cold on hot personally, Like that's that's what I'm looking for. Like you don't you would want definitely want a like cold Italian sub and not like a hot meatball sub in.
Speaker 2: The spot shoe.
Speaker 1: Too wide of an opening, you're gonna end up getting soap.
Speaker 3: And yeah in the shower.
Speaker 1: Like hair water is going to be in your gaspot. Yeah, there's like something it's like hermitically, Like the orange is like sealed off and so you know it's not it's not like a open open top. You know, there's something cool about an orange. Yeah, maybe we should throw this one to AI to see what.
Speaker 3: Try a blue moon and an orange next time I showered. Yeah, orange, Yeah, I'll try it warm and flow well as cold.
Speaker 2: Slurpy, a big blue raspberry slurpy.
Speaker 1: But see those have the dome top, so you're you're actually not going to get as much hair water rewarding. I truly think shower slurpy is the answer, Like that is something that I do need to try now. It's the cups are a problem. You would need to get the hard plastic ones, because the paper ones, I feel like, are always on the verge of rotting out a little bit. Yeah, if I like, find an old Slurpy from earlier that day, the paper is starting to feel a little soft and old, like in a car. I leave it in the car because I don't want to bring it in and let my wife and children see that I've like slurpy. Yeah, but anyways, I really think shower slurpy is going to be a thing. Yes, yes, well done. What Kim, what is something he thinks underrated?
Speaker 3: Slurpies? No, that we're talking about it, totally different train of thought. But yeah, slurpies. I can't remember the last time I had one, But they're the ship when.
Speaker 2: They's you do. Oh yeah, they're so good. Cherry and Coca Cola all the way. Okay, I love the Coca Cola ones, but I like blue raspberry.
Speaker 1: That's my blue raspberries also, But those are good cherry, the ones that are just such a wildly unnatural color, like they're the color of fire retardant, you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's like Also, I love like, I love how when we were kids you could just walk around with your tongue blue and everybody's like, oh, that's cute. And now as adults, it's like, dude, eat a salad, my guy, can they still do uh on seven eleven?
Speaker 1: They do? Yeah? Oh my god, So Mark.
Speaker 2: I have a year. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't bring myself to buy a slurpee, but I will accept a slurpee.
Speaker 1: They should have it also at seven eleven every day, two times in the morning and in the evening, and just have a mad dash for one minute. I feel like that.
Speaker 2: Would be oh like one minute of free slurpe.
Speaker 1: One woman, free slurp, free slurp, one men, free slurp. Guys, thank you for taking this meeting with me. I'd like to tell you about my idea one men, free slurp.
Speaker 2: Okay, sharks sharks kim.
Speaker 1: What is something you think.
Speaker 2: Is overrated New Yorker cartoons?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, they're so funny every time cartoon drama.
Speaker 3: I'm here for it. Give us not drama. I just feel like they're so picky. And when they do finally pick one, it's a joke that's been done already a billion times, probably by the same artists that submitted it five other times. Right, and they're just they fall flat and they don't.
Speaker 2: Have color like you're.
Speaker 3: Color in your literary mag Yeah. I want smut in my New Yorker. Yeah, New Yorker, give me smut.
Speaker 1: Do they have a no smut like no sex, no swearing policy?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know that your polity that I've seen.
Speaker 1: A lot of them are very basic, like observational jokes that have been like in the stand up world for since the early eighties. But they're they're like through a filter, like they have an Instagram filter of like twee upper crust New York person that they're like kind of filtered through, you know. So it's like a bunch of take my wife seriously type jokes, but with filtered through through the day to day life of somebody in the parents class. Yeah. Yeah, damn the cartoon game. How's it going out there?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: They keep rejecting me. So that's why they're overrated.
Speaker 2: The New York Yeah, you come up with showers slurpy and exactly think outside the four lines. That's right, Yeah, think outside the tub.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and speed run some news and we're back and obviously a lot of factors contributed to this verity of the wildfires. We've talked about a few of them, we haven't talked talked about how private equity played a hand in making things way way worse. So shout out to Matt Stoller, who is somebody that I wasn't fully up on pretty recently, but now his newsletter big has been something I've been reading, Like I had another story on the dock for yesterday's training episode that was also one of the main sources was his news letter, So shout out to him. Again. Not connected to the movie about a woman who becomes a sex offender due to carnival magic. It is just a politics newsletter.
Speaker 2: I don't want to read it.
Speaker 1: Exactly what a strange premise for a movie, but he outlined how so I guess he interviewed this antitrust lawyer who kind of outlined exactly how private equity was responsible for the LA Fire departments completed resources. Specifically, a lot of people pointed out like as the fires were burning, like there were all these LAFD fire trucks just out of service, just parked in like fire truck parking lots, and people were obviously quick to blame the city's budget cuts, which you know rightly, so the city raised funding for the police but not the fire departments as crime is falling and the danger of fire was getting higher and higher due to climate change. But the reason that that was especially damaging in the past couple of years is because the cost of fire trucks has skyrocketed from it used to be like three hundred to five hundred thousand for a pumper truck, seven hundred and fifty to nine hundred thousand for a ladder truck, and now it's one million for a pumper and two million dollars for a ladder truck, just over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: And that's for a thousand for the Dalmatian that goes with it. It's crazy what's happening out here.
Speaker 1: The price online you don't even come with sun roofs, but it's base. Basically, a private equity company went through, Like we talked about this with when we did our Private Equity, Private Equity episode about how private like ambulances used to be free. That used to be a thing that was just you called an ambulance. They took you to the hospital and you didn't get like in the seventies fucking everything. Yeah, and then the private equity industry came through and was just like, no, we can make people pay for that, and a lot of times it's going to be there. A lot of times it's going to be their insurance paying for it. So it's like, you know, nobody's going to be paying attention, so we can just like make people pay insane amounts of money.
Speaker 2: There's nothing equity about this.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly that the private equity is not a wildly accurate descriptor I would say for the industry. But yeah, first of all, not just fire trucks, all fire equipment increasing quickly price, so that this is happening as the budget is going down, so even more reasonably be frustrated that the budget went down. But just on how all of this was caused. A private equity firm called American Industrial Partners was buying up fire truck companies and forcing up prices across the board. So they bought like Major like all the companies that were competing with one another, rolled them up into a conglomerate called the RIV Group, and then claimed that the companies would all continue operating independently despite sharing the same owner. But of course they did not, and they punished people if they ever showed the slightest sign of being competitive with one another, and then were able to charge whatever the fuck they wanted.
Speaker 2: So I didn't even know that was possible. How dumb am I? I'm like, everything is private equity now, and I still didn't know that was possible. That fire trucks could be private equity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything could be private equity. Like it's the whole system is set up. Like I heard somebody, I think it was the Mexican president actually described the like neoliberalism and like our current you know system that we'd been operating under for the past, you know, for our lifetime, until fascism just took over. And it was described as like a system designed to redistribute wealth upward from poor people to corporations, and like, the more you just look at how everything operates, that's exactly what is happening. It's just massive companies with power coming in and just finding ways to make money out of nothing in ways that just kind of make our lives worse or more dangerous. They take over, you know, in our past private equity episodes We've talked about how they've taken over prisons. They've taken over like the phones that people use in prison. They've like made those incredibly expensive because they know nobody's going to like feel bad for people in prison, so they just like find any way that they can charge people a ton of money. You know, pet care, the you know, veterinarian clinics have been taken over because they know that like people are up against it and will pay anything to take care of their pets, and so they find a way to monetize that.
Speaker 2: I was even talking to like a doctor recently who's like help talking about private equity, like like that's the reason a lot of doctors are quitting, Yes, because they're sick of it, because it's like they don't have enough money to like have their own practice to avoid the kind of takeover that private equity is doing to hospitals. But they can't, Like they hate how they're just being forced to see like an insane number of patients per hour, which means they can't give those patients proper care, and then if they do stand up for patients, then they're more likely to be reprimanded or you know, hurt their career in some way because of private equity taking over and requiring these quotas. Right, it's messed up.
Speaker 1: It is messed up, that's right.
Speaker 2: And even with the fire trucks, you can't even say burn it down because they're fire trucks. So they're going to stab that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good point.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I got big brains.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's like they would shut down plants. Like so during the pandemic, federal funding kicked back up and people were hungry. You know, municipalities had funding for fire trucks, and as that was happening, they were just shutting down factories and then charging a shipload more for the fire trucks that they did sell, because that's yeah, they didn't have to be competitive, like not. This is also the thing like you were seeing with Silicon Valley and like the tech industry and like this whole AI thing that where they're like, wait a second, I thought we were the best at AI, right, and it's like no, the entire tech industry, all of these like the things that have power, like all these forces of capital are just designed to protect themselves and like create monopolies, preserve monopolies accumulate capital and yeah, and gain political power so that they can continue to protect their monopolies.
Speaker 2: So monopoly a game invented by a woman, stolen by a man.
Speaker 1: Stole monetized, invented by a woman, that was about how monopolies are bad, and then stolen by a man and turned into a thing where you're like, I want to be the monopoly. But yeah, the stolar article, he's like pointing out, it's like what we saw with Boeing, you know, it's what we're seeing with every thing. It's companies get all this power, destroy all competition, and then proceed to do a worse job and make more and more money. So that's what you're seeing with the tech industry, and you're going to see the tech industry start being beaten pretty easily by other countries where this is not the case. But we're also seeing it everywhere private equity goes, which is everywhere in the United States, and that's certainly not going to change under the fascist oligarchy that we now have incoming. So that's not good. I would say.
Speaker 2: Change the name of the podcast. I'm done. Just change it to that's not good.
Speaker 1: That's not good.
Speaker 2: That's not good seems bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think can we three D print fire trucks? How do we what is it the Chinese AI called deep something? How do we do that? Deep? There we go? We gotta do we gotta do something to the LAPD get more funding this year though, Yeah, that's there. Always goes up. Yeah, their budget does go up.
Speaker 3: It's just so disheartening. I don't have much to say on it besides like this.
Speaker 2: Blows, like, uh, write a New Yorker cartoon about that bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's not great. So I don't know. Private equity obviously a huge problem that will I don't know. It's been very clarifying for me, and just like watching the news to be like, oh, yes, there's this hidden force that like is undergirding all of these things. It's just none of the news really talks about it. You have to like go find the people who are allowed to tell the truth about it.
Speaker 2: And I think we also need to ostracize people in regular job positions that are contributing to bad things happening in the world, because I have a lot of friends in Silicon Valley and they are all like, it's fine. That I work for like this company or do this thing, like engineers and stuff that are just looking for stable jobs. It's like, if they don't have the labor force to like continue this awful cycle, then maybe would like those people would work for better companies, do you know what I mean? Yeah, Like maybe we could have power that way. So I do think that we kind of it's an individualistic country, but as individuals, we aren't making the best decisions either for the like the common good, or even for ourselves overall in the long term. Right, And I'm saying, bully Moore, bully people more. Bully your friends more. Oh you work at Raytheon, you bitch.
Speaker 1: Like most of my friends do work at Raitheon, and I do think it's about time I said something to them about it.
Speaker 2: I'm not even kidding. Like a lot of my like engineering friends go into like the worst companies, like from undergrad because they're just because it's acceptable. It's like normal for them, or like consulting or Goldmen Sachs or things. I know so many people who have done that, and it's because scientists and engineers and all of those people they don't see the outcome until it's too late. Like it's not the technology hasn't caught up to the or the ethics hasn't caught up to the technology.
Speaker 1: No, it hasn't ethics. It seems like there's not a ton of moral courage going around right now.
Speaker 2: Would be my overall read to be optimistic.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people that go into these companies nowadays, like anyone that applies for Tesla, like obviously a passion for the engineering, the science, what it can do to help the environment. But also I can change I can change them, like I'll be the good and maybe my little goodness will help the bigger picture because we are so individualistic. But then it just shots away you and you lose the plot.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about some bullshit. We'll be right back, and we're back. And I just in case people saw the doomsday clock headline, this is maybe like a little bit of not hopefulness, but a little bit of don't worry too much about this one. The doomsday clock just got moved to eighty nine seconds to midnight, which is the closest to midnight since the introduction of the clock in nineteen forty seven. It's like the countdown to nuclear armor get in. They say it's due to the state of arms control treaties, active conflicts involving nuclear weapons, and widespreay conspiracy theories. I do just heading into this pot this show. Hosting this show, I assumed that it was like somehow scientific. They always talk about how it's like the bulletin of the atomic scientists and that, like, I assume there was like some scientific reasoning behind how they choose like where the clock goes. It's it's not.
Speaker 2: It was bought by private equity.
Speaker 1: It was brought by that and they just turned it into an actual clock that they sell for It's like the football phone or the Hamburger phone. No, so when it was created in nineteen forty seven, it was set to seven minutes before doomsday because the artists who designed it thought it looked good to his eye and also just it didn't even move during the Cuban missile cre so like that that day, Yes, sorry to be fair super hungover. It was the sixth time we were all the just mad men all the time.
Speaker 3: Too many steaks and Martinez at lunch. Yeah, it sounds like this is pretty much like the guy that had the old pug where it was a bones or no bones day. Oh, senior dogs stand up? Are we good today? No? That's basically their logic in this. It looks like shit. So the world's ship right now?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's like the scientific communities equivalent of ground hug day, you know, where they're just like, what what did the bulletin of Atomic Scientists say today? Based on some news that has been forwarded to us, We're gonna go with it's bad, and it is bad. I don't want to say it's not bad. I just don't think people who probably already recognized that it's bad need to take this all that seriously.
Speaker 2: I desperately want to say it's not bad. Jack, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Things?
Speaker 2: To say it's not bad? What I want more than anything in the world.
Speaker 1: All right, shall we do a little shark news? That would be lovely, A little shark shark miracle.
Speaker 2: Fucking love sharks.
Speaker 1: So some aquarium sharks have proven that Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park is right. And this is also under the category of women really don't need men news. A baby shark was born in a Louisiana Aquarium shark. The words baby shark are borderline dramatic for anyone who's.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm gonna say you completely disassociated, just blazed over, immediately broken.
Speaker 1: So in this story, a very young shark was born in a bank to two female sharks who haven't been in contact with a male in over three years. So people are wondering what could have happened?
Speaker 2: Gay b shark? Dude do?
Speaker 3: I was thinking turkey baster, But that's just me.
Speaker 1: Oh, who's getting in there?
Speaker 2: Would get around that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not a shark scientist.
Speaker 1: I know, well the shark scientists.
Speaker 3: Have we consulted any shark religious figures.
Speaker 2: It's all male shark scientists, and they're like, we don't how do you even have thatch?
Speaker 1: Like? What? Wait?
Speaker 2: Where? Wait? No, dude was watching what?
Speaker 1: WY One staff member literally quoted Jeff Goldblum's character. We are very excited in the coming months to confirm whether this was indeed a case of parthenogenesis or if it was delayed for theization. It really proves that life finds a way. He added, Yes, it's a heat referencing Jurassic Park.
Speaker 3: There was a story not too long ago. I think it was just last year. A stingray was pregnant or quote unquote pregnant and not around any males, but turns out like had a tumor and died, and the zoo was just saying, yeah, she's mysteriously pregnant, not around a male at all, and they did it for publicity and then it finally came out of fake pregnancy. Yeah, and they had just like the animal just had a tumor or something in it because they kept pushing like when the baby was due, and.
Speaker 2: It just never thought that's crazy. Yeah, I have to look it up. Because quarium was having a hysterical pregnancy.
Speaker 1: They were just into like early twentieth century Carnival Barker shit where they're just like, look at the amazing.
Speaker 2: They definitely did that after Moo Dang childbirth, Like, yeah, I followed a bunch of others. I already follow like a bunch of other zeus and animal accounts, and they were like, wait, we also have a Moo Tang. We got one too. It's just shy okay. So I feel like they are eager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're writing about it in a the journal uh Scientific Reports. Which I don't. I have no way of knowing if that's like one.
Speaker 2: That yeah, yeah, it's just like a scientology journal. What is the age gap on the mom's you know what I mean? Like, is it problematic?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the real question on everyone sharks of a long time.
Speaker 1: I guess there have been a few stories in recent years about so called virgin shark births though.
Speaker 2: So it's fucking slutty shark.
Speaker 1: So they think it might be delayed fertilization. I don't, I don't know what that. That's that's why.
Speaker 2: I looked up the stingray.
Speaker 3: It's Charlotte from uh the Aquarium and Shark Lab in Hendersonville, North Carolina, became pregnant without a male in February twenty twenty four, but turns out the aquarium thought she was pregnant, but it turns out she was either fed too much or had a tumor, and then she died in July.
Speaker 2: Jesus, Oh my god, so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, these ones are called swell sharks. The swell cat shark in the family. Okay, yeah, well I cannot pronounce that, but it's a it's a there. They look like smaller.
Speaker 1: The sharks are small, they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't look like sharks pretty ohwell. Sharks are typically around thirty five inches in length, with a maximum length of forty three inches.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, queens, I see you. It will be interesting to monitor, monitor to see if you know, three king sharks come and visit the baby or any appearance.
Speaker 2: Trump's about to write an executive order and that's like, no gay sharks. Yeah, no, sharks are gloud to be gang There.
Speaker 1: Are only two types of shark childbirth it uh yeah, I don't know, more painful.
Speaker 2: I'm pro shark life shark.
Speaker 1: Jesus is coming back to make us pay for our sins, I think. Is what this is? That that's how Jesus's story, right, He's vengeful and came back. Yeah yeah, vengeance.
Speaker 3: Started a private equity with the disciples.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right? What else we got? A Roseanne is threatening to make another sitcom despite having been fired from a show that was literally just called Roseanne. Roseanne Barr wants to make another one, but this time, I guess it's kind of not a sitcom so much. It's about a small town farmer in Alabama who is saving the United States from drug gangs and China. And when she's not battling Chinese drug gangs, she's growing and selling drugs.
Speaker 2: So she is the problem that she's claiming. Grints are right exactly, do we see a ventanyl connection?
Speaker 1: Guys, right exactly, that it's we've got to fight ventanyl at the border, even though it's not coming over the border.
Speaker 3: Did her rap career not work?
Speaker 1: We didn't really cover her rap career, but that that was the thing, right she she dropped a rap track on all of our as.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really bad. Also, let's let's just say instead of Roseanne being about Roseanne, it's about Laurie Metcalf. Can we just rewrite history? Because I love Lari Metcalf.
Speaker 1: I know so great. I mean that show was wonderful despite her, you know, losing her mind as it was coming back and becoming popular. According to bar the characters in this will save America with guns, the Bible, petty crime, and alcoholism. So she likes crime, She likes crime, she likes drugs as long as they're done by her. Like it's a it's a very kind of clear clarifying, uh, you know, statement on what like what the Maga ethos is. It's just like, no, it's just that we get to do that. Yeah, we're allowed to do all the bad stuff, but you when you do it, it's bad.
Speaker 2: That's what. Like. I was watching a clip of Hassan Piker and he was saying that because of how Maga is so just like one note of just this deep loyalty to white supremacy or nationalism, they are now going to because they were all about like, oh, he's gonna make the economy better, he's gonna make egg prices go down, and when they don't, when they get worse, they're going to like spin it as like patriotic to pay more, you know, just in pursuit of what he's like, it'll make you a better American And they already have. They're like, look at these fucking democrats worrying about the economy, and I'm like, bitch, that's what you voted on, Like what.
Speaker 1: Are your whole thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's as we talked about. I mean, I staid, he's trending, like I mean, he's freezing all eight like all the stuff that you typically look to the government for. He's really like testing the limits of loyalty. He's like, yeah, Like it's almost like a gangster like being, like I need you to shoot your grandma, like to prove that, you to prove how on board you are with this, because yeah, there's a lot of a lot of very old people getting fucked over by that freeze on federal funding.
Speaker 3: It's just there's already been rumors about him speed running trying to get martial law in place by doing all of these over the top things to get people pissed off enough where he can just jump the gun to what he really wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah that, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 2: We're implemented which president implemented martial law recently and then got out hoasted? Was it South Korea?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he got ousted, And we're not going to do that. We're too close to do it.
Speaker 1: Feels like we're too cooked. It feels like there's not the will power. I don't know. Maybe people will surprise me, but the New York Times has been just been a slow motion just that very a lot of their takes on all of this has been have not inspired confidence. Anyways, this Roseanne thing is going to fucking slap when somebody makes it, except nobody nobody is agreed to.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, she's just pitching it. She's just planting into the yes, this woman, Like when people get to a certain age, right, they need to just have hobbies and the love of their family. Like what is why is she still doing stuff?
Speaker 1: Kind of like the Coen Brothers thing was her quote?
Speaker 3: What the Brothers they're they're what if she can end her series like No Country for Old Men, I would be one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: Just like totally.
Speaker 1: No Country for Old Men's style sitcom, Like I would watch the ship out of that, but I don't. I don't. Something tells me she wouldn't be able to pull it off anyways, Kim, it's such a pleasure having you on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: I'm still at the evil corporations of meta and exper now, but read it Patreon and then people are starting substacks. Maybe I should get into that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah style, yeah, yeah, just do all of them. Amazing And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: I've been loving the compilations of people just responding to maga hats. If what Elon did wasn't so bad, do it right now, right now, and then pivoting that is just delightful to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for some reason, I don't know. And then people I have seen the videos where the people do it in their bedroom and it's like whoa. But it's still so scary, amazing. Paul of you, where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: I'm at Paula Viganland everywhere. You should know how to spell my name by now, and if you don't, oh well, I have a show, the comedy story called Facial Recognition Comedy. It's monthly. Our schedule's been like a little bit off because of I don't know of fires and whatnot. But also I'm going to be trying to like tour more so. I'm going to the Pacific Northwest, like Portland and surrounding areas at the end of February. February in the beginning of March. If you have venues you think I should do, hit me up. I might try to put shows on there. And I think in March I'm going back to some Francisco. At some point I have to decide what dates to headline, like the function I'm going to San Diego, a bunch, So check me out on my website or on my socials. A thing of media, Okay, two things. One, I'm really into physical media right now. Okay, I just bought a fucking planner that's from like the Natural History Museum and has pretty animals on it, and it's oh my god. Kim has one too, and I'm like it makes me feel like like just mentally like peaceful, Like I have backups of my shit online of like what I need to do when and whatnot. But it's just so nice to like write, you know, and just like have something physical in front of me.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful. And then another another a tweet that I saw that was really funny was at Cosmic Underscore. Marvel had a tweet that said spider Man four will reportedly introduce a new love interest for Tom Hollins Peter Parker, and at Clinton's Underscore emails quote tweet with day eight and Trump has gotten rid of sen day on.
Speaker 1: That's amazing tweet I've been enjoying from paddle at Ipaddle Around tweeted trying to be empathetic. Holy fuck, I'm so glad that isn't happening to me. Wow, that would suck. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find me on Blue Sky at Jack ob the Number One. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist. We're at z daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage on a website dailyzeikeist dot com. You can go to the episode where you're listening to this and check out the description of the episode and you will find the footnotes, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy, and when Miles is out, we like to ask on super producer Justin Connor. Justin, is there a song but you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I usually recommend songs from a bunch of different genres, but I've mostly stayed away from dance music, even though it's my favorite thing to play when I DJ. So this track starts off slow, but it dips a toe in dance music and it blends a bunch of other genres together. This is relatively an unknown artist named Zepp. He's like a multi instrumentalist. He's got a really creative DIY approach to music. At one point he even like stretches a role of duct tape out and plucks it like a stand up bass. It's it's really really fun and interesting. So this is Mosquito as in like Moshpit and Mosquito mixed together by Zepp and you can find that in the footnotes.
Speaker 1: Footnotes I really am taking over. I know it from there, gs.
Speaker 2: You just need the Italian music in the background.
Speaker 1: We have a team like off site thing today, so we're this is gonna be We're no trending episode this afternoon, everybody, and then no full episode tomorrow morning back with tomorrow's trending episodes, so the next two episodes won't be there, and we.
Speaker 2: Will You don't know what's trending, that's right, fucking idiots, no fools.
Speaker 1: All right, but we'll see you in twenty four hours. The Dailies I Guys is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio w ab Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, and we will talk to y'all on tomorrow's trending Bye bye bye