Speaker 1: What is Up My loves It is a La La Kent on like Give Them Lala podcast with Randall. Here we are. I can't believe that we have a legend on the podcast today. She is best known for her role on full House and then Fuller House, and she's also a part of my little tribe in sobriety. So we're going to keep this intro very short and sweetened.
Speaker 2: You just gave it away.
Speaker 1: It's my mom joke. We have Jody Sweeten. Yes, we're gonna deep dive into all things Jody. I can't wait to pick her brain, know what it was like to be a child star and what her journey has been in sobriety and helping others.
Speaker 3: So we have Jody Sweeten on today, which we're both excited about because Fuller House and full House was full House was my generation and Fuller House is your generation. Did you ever see full House when you were younger?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course you saw full House? Oh yeah, but you got to be like zero or two years.
Speaker 1: I think it came out before I was born, but I've definitely seen it. I'm a huge Olsen Twin fan.
Speaker 3: So well, we are very excited to have Jodie Sweeten today, she is a total legend on every level. I think how old was she when she was on the original?
Speaker 1: I think she may have started at four or five, and now she is definitely.
Speaker 2: Young, and today she is.
Speaker 1: Probably damn I think she might be like in her late thirties, thirties.
Speaker 3: You know, what's amazing to be on a TV show that was one of the biggest hits in television for whatever amount of years as a child, not even being able to remember it, you know what I mean, because at four or five, what do you remember? And now being again like reinvented in the same show. I don't has that ever happened before.
Speaker 1: I think it's really hard to to recreate a show that has already existed and kind of do some sort of sequel to it. So when I saw Fuller House, I was actually shook how good it was, how cute.
Speaker 3: I didn't even see it's that good fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely cute.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm excited to have her on.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to have this podcast today and to just celebrate your sobriety and her sobriety because this week is your three year sobriety.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm gonna go with my girlfriends to celebrate three years on Friday.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: It's I love one day at a time, but I fully intend on celebrating on Friday my three years of sobriety. I've come a very long way. Tonight, I'm finally getting to do the signing of my book Give Them Lalla, which is huge. I'm gonna thank you. I'm going to have a little get together after with my girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Just it.
Speaker 1: It's a week of really celebrating you the cool shit I've done.
Speaker 2: And I want to.
Speaker 3: Say something about your book. The fact that you launched your book in a time of a pandemic where there was no you know, like interaction with your fans. I give you a lot of love and a lot of respect, and I'm really proud of you. So kick ass tonight with your book signing party.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a big night for you. So you deserve it. Yeah, So I take off my hat to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: I hope everyone enjoyed last night's episode of vander Pump Rules. We're going to cut to a short break and we will be back with Jody Sweeten.
Speaker 4: We are back with Jody Sweeten. Oh my gosh, Yes, I'm Randall loves the Goods. So I have to say you obviously I grew up watching you on TV. And it's so crazy that my hold on, hold on, no, we're gonna jump in, but I have to tote I have to toute my guest horn before we move on, because.
Speaker 5: Well tuned away my friend to any Day.
Speaker 4: So then my two step kids, not only are they obsessed with full House, they're obsessed with Fuller House. Is it so crazy that you have a show that stands the test of time?
Speaker 5: You know, it really is.
Speaker 6: I know there have been a ton of reboots, and you know, some have been super successful and some kind of came and went, but Fuller House was really one of the first of those, I think.
Speaker 2: And it was really taken a chance.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: We've pitched it to a lot of places and they were like, you know, we think there's an audience for this, and we we knew it as as cast members. We were like, you guys have to tap into this, Like there's such a huge audience out there.
Speaker 5: And I'm so.
Speaker 6: Grateful that something that I love to do, that I've had so much fun doing that has been such a wonderful part of my life has connected with people in the way that it has.
Speaker 5: You know, Full House is something.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm so grateful for the fans and that I got to come back and do this as an adult. You know, I had sort of walked away and was a normal person land, you know, I was, I had a normal job and was just doing my deal, and then this opportunity came along. So it's been it's been quite a wild ride.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So when you say you had a normal person job, what was that.
Speaker 5: I was working in treatment. I worked at several treatment centers.
Speaker 6: I was a director of operations, so I had you know, gone back to school and gotten my certificate for drugon alcohol counseling. I was working in drugon alcohol treatment and I really thought my plan was going to be more moving into case management and becoming a therapist, which is still.
Speaker 5: That's the thing that I would probably love to do, you know, other than my acting.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: But I was a director of operations.
Speaker 6: I had you know a big staff of people under me and was trying to run the daily operations of a lot of recovery houses.
Speaker 5: And you know, it was fun.
Speaker 6: And it was a challenge and it was something that I had never done before.
Speaker 5: And then you know, I'll say when I.
Speaker 6: Was directing, I got to direct an episode of Floorhouse, I realized how much more confidence I had because I had been in a position of kind of running something before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, okay, there's just a.
Speaker 6: Lot of moving parts, like I can do this, and it really it was amazing to me.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh, I'm so grateful for that period of my life.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 7: I just want to say it. First of all, you said you grew up on that show. Yes, I am old. I grew up on your show.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: She was like zero. Okay, Now I know she's a fan because she does watch. She does watch with my with with her step kids. She does watch it religiously like she is in there. She educated them and by the way, I never thought like my nine year old, my sorry, my my.
Speaker 2: Seven year old year old and my eleven year old would ever and then they come home like we're watching full House with La La.
Speaker 4: And it was when I had to educate them and show them that it was a show before, and then they became obsessed with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it's got to get a little bit of the history.
Speaker 6: I mean, the thing about older that was sort of nice that we tried to do was like you could just start watching.
Speaker 2: That show anywhere without anywhere.
Speaker 6: Necessarily, like it helps to have the background in the first eight seasons, but it wasn't necessary, right, only field.
Speaker 7: But yeah, But what I like about law is that she really does love like old school shit. She loves so the fact that my kids are even educated now is just the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: But I did grow up on your show.
Speaker 7: And in nineteen eighty seven, I was, you know, rocking at like sixteen years old, seventeen years old, so I was in it to win it when you like were what zero, like.
Speaker 2: Three on that show? How old were you when you started?
Speaker 5: I started? I started that show when I was I just tried to find five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I thought five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So tell me tell me because obviously I've been in the business a long time now, not not from when I was five. What is it like to be on a show for eight years or whatever it was and then another five years? Like when you walk down the street at that age, do people know you everywhere? Was it like that kind of mayhem of celebrity?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: When I was younger, Like when the show I'm saying, like the fifth sixth season, it got really like it was everywhere, and when you know, when Fuller House came out, I mean we did such a huge launch. We were traveling all over the place. And then you know, subsequent seasons we traveled to Japan and we did you know, we did.
Speaker 5: A lot of stuff, and it's it is crazy and it's crazy. It's crazy to go to a foreign country.
Speaker 6: And get in a cab in Japan and watch you as yourself on the TV in the cab dubbed over in Jeopanese.
Speaker 4: Wow, that would be crazy.
Speaker 6: And like literally sleeping at your hotel like it's you know, that kind of.
Speaker 5: Steps me is wild when I think about it.
Speaker 4: Of course, I don't live like.
Speaker 5: Some fancy crazy see life. I like my my normal life totally, and so it's just funny to me. And I'm like, oh my god, people who land that's so weird, right, Like you.
Speaker 4: Have kind of an out of body experience and you're like, what is life? I'm really confused. So at five years old you start on this show, you know, at that point in time, that's when most kids, I would say five is when they like start playing teacher, you know, whatever they've seen. They play dolls. When did you know, like I want to be creating characters and be on TV, like did it just fall in your lap?
Speaker 6: I was like three years old when I told my mom I wanted to be on TV. I used to call the people on TV modelers and I would say, Mommy, I.
Speaker 5: Want to be a modeler. I really want to be a modeler.
Speaker 6: And I was, you know, I was the kid that you know, would run into the room of adults with a harmonica and start playing some little made up song and sing for everyone and then be like, hen, thank you, and you know, exit the room.
Speaker 5: You know, I pushed my way to the front of my first dance recital because apparently I thought that the girls in the front were just not bringing me to stuff to stuff.
Speaker 6: So you know, if my mom saw things like this, and she saw you know, I was extremely luckily bright for my age.
Speaker 5: I mean I was reading, fully reading by the time I was three years old. I had read books. I could do all that. So you know, when I was auditioning and stuff, I was the four year old.
Speaker 6: We could walk into a room and all the people script and read it, and you know, there were not many kids at that age that could do that.
Speaker 5: So I loved it from the beginning. It was always something I wanted to do.
Speaker 6: I loved to perform, and being somebody whose brain works like you know, in hyperdrive most of the time, I needed a lot going on.
Speaker 5: I loved excitement and change and creativity and all of that.
Speaker 6: So it really was, I think, for me, the perfect place to come of age. And you know it brought with it its difficulties too. You're like the normal existence.
Speaker 7: But when you were ten eleven and you're at the height of your fame for that show, which I assume is like ten to twelve, you were like thriving.
Speaker 2: You want that? I mean, where are the Where do the difficulties lie there?
Speaker 7: Because being a ten year old, like for my daughter being an eleven year old, you know, we go to the mall and the biggest conflict she'll see or the biggest weird initial see is people will come up to Lalla, or they'll come up to me and say, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, we like you, or fans of that show or whatever.
Speaker 7: But to be the person at eleven years old where they're coming up to you that's got to be just awkward on every level, is it not?
Speaker 5: Or yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: I you know, it's funny because as outwilling as I am, you know, I definitely can be an introvert. I definitely, Like, you know, growing up, there were times when it was like, oh my god, I wish like I just want to blend into the wallpaper.
Speaker 5: I just want to be right in the.
Speaker 6: Back round, you know, because every new class that I went into, or a new school that I went into, or you know, went to the mall, it was like never, you know, I can go You can't go out to eat with your family and not.
Speaker 5: Have someone interrupt you while you're in the middle of kin. You know. The thing was as a kid, it was really hard because I.
Speaker 6: Didn't I don't know, and I guess even as an adult, like I said, I just I'm like relatively ambivalent and sort of unimpressed.
Speaker 5: By celebrity and and fanciness and all of that.
Speaker 6: So like it's just so crazy to me when when people come up and I'm like, oh my god, like it's it's weird. And as an eleven year old kid, and I don't think you can really process sort.
Speaker 5: Of that loss of privacy.
Speaker 6: But I will say I am forever grateful that I grew up in the era before smartphones, as I hated as a kid. It was one of the things and still is in this day when papassey. One of the weirdest things is when someone's taking your picture when you're just trying to exist, yeah, and it feels so invasive. And I remember feeling like that as a kid, feeling like there were times when I was like I don't want to be on you know, right, but also knowing and being so incredibly grateful for those people and hearing those stories and seeing people that this show meant so much too. I felt that as a kid, you know, being a very impacted, sensitive kid.
Speaker 5: Like I took that on.
Speaker 6: So I knew almost that there was like this big responsibility of what this show meant to be, and I was so grateful for that.
Speaker 5: But I also had times when I was like I just want to like walk into a.
Speaker 4: Room and like slip it and not have every kid in the room go like oh right, Like what a conflict to battle as an eleven year old where you're like I just want to be normal, But then you have people that are like your show is changing my life. It's like, and you want to be able to say I don't want all of this. That's cut, Like, I just want to.
Speaker 2: Do my art right.
Speaker 5: And you know, I don't know that at that age that it even felt like that.
Speaker 6: I think sometimes it too, is almost more reflective when I think about it.
Speaker 5: At the time, right, you were just in it. You were in it at the time. It was just my existence.
Speaker 6: I didn't you know, for me, five to thirteen was when I was on full House, and so that was like my formative years, right, that was all of.
Speaker 5: My corentry in middle school years. So I don't really have a whole ton of life and.
Speaker 6: Memories before these people were in my life, and before that was just sort of what I did.
Speaker 2: And when you left was really.
Speaker 5: Until I was an adult.
Speaker 6: But I was like, oh, I see those feelings and seeing where that like and pleasing and you know all that kind of stuff. You know, I can talk to you guys about this and you know this journey of of getting through life and sobriety and all that kind of stuff. But I think as an adult you reflect on and you're like, oh, I see where this desire to I just want to make everyone happy because that's my role, that's you know, my job where that came into play. And at the same time, like having an awesome childhood. You know, I was surrounded by love. Our past was amazing. Let's go to the White House formations, Bob.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't get any.
Speaker 5: Better by side, Like I really, I have these amazing things too.
Speaker 6: So it wasn't like somehow I hated it and just like plugged through it. It was what made me feel alive. And I never feel more at home.
Speaker 5: Than I do when I'm on set. When you when you realize, like, oh yeah, not everybody went through that it, you know, you realize you have a very different perspective of life.
Speaker 7: Yes, when the show, when the show ended, this is the question when you're thirteen years old and you've been in this crazy machine, you know, big publicity machine.
Speaker 2: Bit.
Speaker 7: You know, you're at a studio every day taping. You know your life is the farthest thing from normalcy, but it was your normal.
Speaker 2: What happens when it.
Speaker 7: All gets quiet for a minute, you know, when you're thirteen years old, I mean, is it easy to adjust into the next press?
Speaker 6: I mean, there's definitely an adjustment period. But I think at that point, you know, I was just starting high school, and I was really fortunate in that our producers worked with us as kids to make sure that we were able to if we wanted to attend normal school. Oh and it also worked out really well for me because I grew up in Orange County, so we had a bit of a commute. So the producers were like, look, we can't work the kids that long anyway on rehearsal days, just come in.
Speaker 5: It'll you know, at noon, it'll be less traffic. We'll get here at one, we'll rehearse the kids season, then you go home.
Speaker 6: So I was fortunate in that by the second season when we moved, or the third season when we moved to a forty work week, I was in school all day Mondays, and then half days Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and then Thursdays and Fridays. I was school exclusively on set for tape days, but I still had I got to do a lot of the normal pieces.
Speaker 5: So I'm always grateful for that because I do know that again in that regard, I had a different experience than a lot of kids in.
Speaker 6: This business in that they had no access and kind of quote unquote real life experiences.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I had a little bit of both, and I'm always so grateful for that because I lived a really grounded normal life in that regard.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It wasn't I never was was, you know. I just I grew up around normal people and I liked it that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Were either of your parents in the arts?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No, my mom, you know, she was stay at home mom with me, but she had been gosh everything from a you know, school bus driver to secretary you know, down in Lomby Tarbor. My dad was a superintendent of a gypsum plant, which is where we get drywall from. He worked there for like forty seven years. But that's quite older. Has U has adult children as well.
Speaker 5: But yeah, he was a.
Speaker 6: Blue collar worker worked down at Long Beach Harbor that came from Oklahoma post Depression era, like was a migrant farm worker.
Speaker 4: At yeah thirteen, This this kid with a huge personality from a real normal family, and I'm so grateful for that. I learned a hell of a work ethic too, of course. So so how soon after you know, you you wrap filming this show that has been a huge part of your existence. And did you turn to if you don't mind me asking drugs and alcohol?
Speaker 5: I mean I think it was.
Speaker 6: You know, look, there was this convergence also of like all of the peak things of early teenage trip coming together, right, which was.
Speaker 5: Hormones, which was, oh my god, I've been high school now. Yeah, you know, sorry, I don't know if I.
Speaker 2: Can tell you.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, but you know, you're like, fucking cool man. Here we go.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I know everything now, and you're thirteen, And like, now that I have a thirteen year old, I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 5: God, I knew nothing. I was such a fucking child. You know.
Speaker 6: That combined with the normal identity crisis of most thirteen year olds, which is who do I.
Speaker 5: Want to be?
Speaker 6: Let me try on these different personas and people and friend groups and all of that.
Speaker 5: And then I had something that most kids don't have, which is I lost my job.
Speaker 6: I lost my everyday routine existence for eight years in a rather sudden way. You know, Full House we didn't have very long. I think it was like the last three weeks we knew we were getting canceled.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: So we didn't even go into the season knowing it. We thought it was going to get picked up, and it didn't, and there was back and forth maybe W B.
Speaker 2: Wood.
Speaker 5: So it was kind of a sudden loss, but it was also the same.
Speaker 6: In time, like I can just start this new chapter. But what I soon found was everyone expected.
Speaker 5: Me to be Stephanie Tanner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so I was like, well, let's just be the least Stephanie Tanner like.
Speaker 5: That we can to prove a point, you know. But it was kind of the same ship as everybody else was.
Speaker 2: Doing because you were in high school. You were in high school. You were in high school. So it was like, like you said, the convergence was like it was just a perfect timing.
Speaker 6: Of lost your job, the normal ship that starts anyway, and then to add on like this extra layer just a real interesting life shift for someone who doesn't have the emotional capacity to really even think about.
Speaker 5: It at that age.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 4: Correct, So you start, you started this rebellious phase of like I'm not fucking Stephanie Tanner. I'm Jody I And it was.
Speaker 5: It was like I'll be just as bad as you all do the same stupid shit you do.
Speaker 6: But you know, it's different when when it's you, you know, and I remember my mom always saying like people will always be watching, people will always be watching, and that's like kind of a shitty mentality to grow up with, although I think now in the age of social media, I can spill that way anyway. But you know, it was, it always was different. It wasn't just like oh that you know, freshman girl got drunk at a party.
Speaker 5: Was dude, did you see Julie Sweeten, the Gold of the Stephanie Tanner get drunk at that party?
Speaker 4: Totally?
Speaker 5: You know, it was a thing.
Speaker 6: And so I think I found that thing that just made me feel like I didn't give a shit.
Speaker 5: Okay, alcohol.
Speaker 6: I finally was like, oh wait, here's the key to where I can feel like I don't give a ship. I don't you know, nothing matters, I don't care about your judgment of me, you know, all that kind of stuff that. Thank god, at thirty nine, I now have you know, I worked through a process and actually have.
Speaker 5: But yeah, thirteen it was, you know, that was the thing.
Speaker 7: So when we started drinking at thirteen, when I mean full alcoholic at thirteen fifteen, when did it get to the point where it.
Speaker 2: Is I mad?
Speaker 5: I can say I was by fifteen or sixteen.
Speaker 6: I do remember at one point there was a moment when I said to my mom was like, I think I'm an alcoholico. And of course at fifteen or you know, sixteen minutes, and I was drunk when I'm saying it, so, you know, like I think my mom was probably like.
Speaker 5: The fuck you are?
Speaker 6: You're just being an idiot, you know. But I think at an early age I always knew, and I know so many people in spiety talk about this. You know, alcohol did something.
Speaker 5: Different for me than it did for other people. I didn't react to it like my friends would get drunk and then they're like, oh, I'm that's it.
Speaker 2: That's like me. That's like me.
Speaker 7: That's like, yeah, when I'm done, I'm like, you know, Saturday, I wake up, I'm like I never need a drink for like.
Speaker 4: Months, you know me, I would wake up and I'd be like, where are the bloody Mary's? Where our eyes are open? Why are we not drinking?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: So, at what point did it did it it spiral into something? Fifteen sixteen is when it spiraled into something more.
Speaker 5: Getting worse than I got sober the first time.
Speaker 6: When I was eighteen, I started I started college and I did not get off through great.
Speaker 5: Start that semester. Can I talked about it in my book.
Speaker 6: I had a point nine GPA, which, oh my god, really hard to get under a one point zero, but I did it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's just like I didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: What school? What school?
Speaker 6: Drink and party? Like I all of a sudden had this freedom and I have my parents knew this about me, you know, like you have to come home on weekends.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm home on weekends.
Speaker 6: So I was like, well, shit, that really cuts into my partying time. But now I've got Monday through Thursday.
Speaker 4: And like that was so we really got to live it up Monday through Thursday. Wow, And what school at this time or whatever?
Speaker 6: You know, And and then I knew at some point like it just got to a place where I was like, oh, I'm in trouble, like it really, you know, I was eighteen, and I was like, yeah, I am not like most of.
Speaker 5: These other people here drinking, Like this is getting serious, and you know, it wasn't easy to get sober at eighteen. Starting college.
Speaker 6: I remember rushing a sorority and then I was like, what am I doing? One I don't like hanging out with like these kind of people on too, Like the fuck am I going to do in a sorority? It's all they do, you know, and it's not all they but like that, that's part of it, right, It's part of.
Speaker 5: That college experience. And I was like, I don't want to do this. I was really uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: So you know, it was a struggle and and there's been lots of back and forth in my in my sobriety journey, but I always say, like it started for me then, and I'm so grateful because it planted those seeds of a thought in my head that it could be different. Every time I would go back out to do more research or say bucket and go get voaded. If those those things and those people were always in my head of like okay, well you know that's you do that, but like just remember this, you know totally.
Speaker 2: When was your last when when was your last time out? Were you that was it?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh?
Speaker 6: Well my last drink was oh god, it's been eleven years now?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 5: No, no, has it been eleven years? March twenty ten years March twenty eleven, So that was my last?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: So well, I had had my last drink long before then, but like I had gone out on Soma's at one point and was.
Speaker 5: For like three weeks.
Speaker 6: It was like I got in a car accident, things went bad. I did that and then I was like, oh wow, this is fucked up. So yeah, so that was you know, I this is something changed for me at that point where it was like, Okay, this is different, and you know, and the journey of sobriety for me, it's like not about anymore about arriving at this destination of life.
Speaker 5: Here I am. Now, it's like, oh, this is just the constant work, right, the totally questioning ourselves.
Speaker 4: Of course I am approaching. Of course, it's always one day at of time. I'm approaching my three year birthday. And you know, there's so many moments where I think, what did I do right in the time that I was drinking for my rock bottom to look so differently than a lot of people that I sit in rooms with, and you know, they do the work every day and you know, some of these people have twenty four hours under their belt. Some of these people have twenty four years under their belt. And you know, to me, it's so humbling because it's it's the same. We are all one drink away from having everything go wrong.
Speaker 6: So I look at you like I always you know, people were like, hey, you want to drink. I'm like, no, no, I don't think anybody here wants to get Arrested's nice.
Speaker 4: I'm like, if you want your restaurant burned down.
Speaker 6: Were I to start drinking now, it would be balls like it would be, you know, because I was looking like, what's the point of a glass of wine?
Speaker 5: I want a bottle. I'm like, oh, most people like that.
Speaker 4: Most people don't think like that.
Speaker 5: I don't think no.
Speaker 4: Normal people are like, had a stressful work day, they have a glass of wine, they go to bed. Me we are off to the races, and oh yeah, we'll.
Speaker 6: Winding up somewhere is Miami. Who knows, you know, Like, I mean, I've done one way tickets to places, and when are you going?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know who knows? Who does that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: It was the constant chase, and I think throughout my thirties, I also and the pandemic too.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'll be really honest. It was awful and it was really.
Speaker 6: Hard, but in some ways it forced us all forced me particularly to slow.
Speaker 5: Down totally yep, and start re evaluating.
Speaker 6: Me and the pieces of me and what pieces of me are at the forefront, and what my priorities are and all of these things that I realized.
Speaker 5: You know, sometimes when I stay busy, I can just distract myself.
Speaker 4: From y Yeah, you get to you get to have time by yourself, what's working, what's not working? You know, we were stuck by ourselves, and so I had a similar It was really there's so much going on, so much going on, like a freaking roller coaster, Like you just talking yourself into all of these thoughts. So I can relate to you saying that during quarantine. So then flash forward to you pick up when you said your oldest is fourteen.
Speaker 5: Correct, she just turned thirteen in April.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then you're cool teenager and my younger daughter, Beatrix is she just turned eleven.
Speaker 4: So that's got to be So first of all, you just said you were how old did you say you were? You dropped it thirty nine that I'm shaking in my nikes because I like you. You look like a child. You look good girl, Good for you. I mean you look amazing, Like I literally.
Speaker 6: Like showered, I clip no makeup on I apologize. It's you know, just be in the face.
Speaker 4: No, never apologize. So I mean, what are your like, what have you done for your skin?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I smoked for years. I did a lot of hard drugs, Like don't wear sunscreen.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like, yeah, gramatics.
Speaker 4: What what do your kids think about? Like do they watch your show? Like, what do they think about this? I'm so curious. No desire.
Speaker 6: Kids are for the most part, relatively unimpressed with the fact that I'm on a show.
Speaker 5: I think really the thing that they like most about comings is set was craft service. The shit about what I was doing?
Speaker 4: Right, They were just like, oh, sushi on a Friday, Well, I'd be impressed by that. Craft services too, I usually see bananas and Julida.
Speaker 6: They enjoyed the person it sometimes for sure, but it's also, you know, at the same time, it's hard.
Speaker 5: For them when I when I have to travel.
Speaker 6: My younger one, you know, when I have to go away for three weeks to do a TV movie or whatever, she hates it.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 5: But they, you know, they're just like, oh my god, this is It's so weird, but it's also always been their existence.
Speaker 6: Well not entirely because most of the time that I have you know, I have my kids, So they were pretty young when I started back to Fuller House and doing all of that, so you know, they had some experience of like just normal life, you know, the four bedroom apartment we're all sharing. Yeah, and you know, now they've gotten to see some of the fun perks of this, so I think they like that for sure.
Speaker 5: But at the you know, at the end of the day, I'm mom. I have rules.
Speaker 6: I yell at them like I'm so not cool. It doesn't matter, like blah blah blah. You just told me to pay my room.
Speaker 5: I hate you, so right, Yeah, that's mostant.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 7: So five years you come back, the show comes back. Everybody's older, everybody's more grown up. Now, it's Bob said, it's a friend of mine. It's just the whole thing's awesome. I mean, I just think, you know, I have a show Power on Stars and a lot of spin offs, and you know, we've never come back.
Speaker 2: We're just still doing. But I've just tried it before you came on. I try to think about, like, wow.
Speaker 7: Fast forward seven, eight, nine years, how exciting that has to be to bring back the family and go back and do it again. What is the most fun part about you being back besides the fact that you're old enough to appreciate it, probably now, what else is fun about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I appreciated it when I was young.
Speaker 6: But I think having like, had things as a kid and build up that, and then not having things and being like, you know, like I said, one.
Speaker 5: Veteran apartment with two kids, and you know, trying to figure it out and do all that, like, and then being able to kind of come back, and then being in a pandemic.
Speaker 6: You know, all of those things have given me perspective that I wouldn't have had had it been difficult or not difficult rather but coming back with all of these people who we've stayed friends. I mean, we've all been super close thirty five years.
Speaker 2: Oh my wow, that's what I mean.
Speaker 6: Other than my parents, I don't have a lot of memories with anyone else in my life.
Speaker 5: Do the Fourhouse cast, And we've always.
Speaker 6: Stayed in touch, you know, sometimes we're together more than others, but we've always done dinners on a regular basis. We've always talked to each other. I mean, Bob and John are like brothers. Literally, Dave involved knew each other since they were nineteen. I mean, look, you know, it's just there's so many there's so much love in that family.
Speaker 5: And I mean back was like a reason you need to come back and have fun and like play with our friends and make a show and do this all over again.
Speaker 4: Now you get to see you have new kids that are a part of the show, where you know they are where you once were.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was really close with Elias that played mass yeah show because he was about my age. He was the one that was the middle kid about my age that I was when he started and thirteen when you know all of that, and he and I just connected and I really understood that, and it is it's such a different thing to be the adults in the room now and be the one that, you know, along with Cannas and Andreas sort of felt like we're responsible for the tone of this set and how this works and how these kids are treated, you know, and how we work. And he just brought that family of full house right to that and to those kids.
Speaker 5: The kids were a part of the family. You know, I missed them went off at college.
Speaker 7: It was you know, oh my god, did you film at a tape or whatever film tape in the same studio that you did the original?
Speaker 5: We did?
Speaker 2: Oh we we well.
Speaker 6: The first six seasons of Full House we were on the Sony lot in Culver City.
Speaker 5: Then the last two years we moved over here to Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Okay, and.
Speaker 6: We were on.
Speaker 5: Stage twenty four for those last two years.
Speaker 6: Wow. And when we first the first season of our show, we were on a different set. Actually we were on a smaller one and we had was outside. So the second season we got to come back and we came back to Stage twenty four to the dressing rooms, like the little two story apartment dressing rooms that they had built on set.
Speaker 5: We were the first ones in them.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow, Now you know I had Dave Coulier's old room, Canvas had Bob's old room.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so amazing.
Speaker 5: Elias had my like the school room was now this.
Speaker 6: But we knew, I mean always, I knew every inch of that set.
Speaker 5: I could walk it in my sleep. That's so Coolam there again? And then and also getting to say goodbye on that set again.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wait, tell me about the tell me about the season finale. What was that day like and what was that final bow like?
Speaker 6: You know it was. It was hard, but in a way it was easier for me the second time, only because the first time, as a thirteen year old girl, I had this fear that I'd never see these people again and that this was it and that that family was done and I had no connection to them anymore. This time I got to say goodbye to my family of thirty five years in a way that was like, we did it again. I'll see you guys soon, you know. But it was also heartbreaking because again we had built another family of you know, it's not just the cast, it's your crew. And our crew was so amazing every department. I loved them all. I was friends with them all, Like I dearly enjoy being with these people so much of my life and it's hard to.
Speaker 5: Say goodbye to that. But it was just a different perspective of like, I'm just in shock that we got to do this again in five years, you know, amazing.
Speaker 7: It's like it's like it would feel like hitting the lottery twice, you know, because it's hard enough to have a show on the air for a year.
Speaker 2: Let alone, I hit epic show that stands at time twice, it comes back twice. It's like hitting a lot of twice. But so I could tell it you're the way you talk about it, you have such an appreciation.
Speaker 7: And then the second time around, it's like I really got to like because as a child, you might have never got to understand the level.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, except you got to do it as a just in your existence.
Speaker 5: It's the only one you've ever known. You're normal, You're like, this is just this is what it was like.
Speaker 6: I get up, I go to half day school, I you know, get lunch in the car, I work on my lines, and I show up.
Speaker 5: To my job and home to homework in the car, and you know, but this is normal.
Speaker 7: But this time, this time, I could tell you really soaked it all up the five years, and I think that's really neat.
Speaker 5: And I really did I really, I really really did you know? I stood in that.
Speaker 6: I remember walking onto I remember walking onto the set the very first time and looking at the house again and it was exactly like walking into your old house.
Speaker 5: That you grew up in.
Speaker 6: Wow, and you noticed the little changes. You're like, Oh, the alcove's bigger. Oh that's different.
Speaker 5: Oh they put a laundry room there when that was just an exit. Oh they did that. You know, Oh this this counter wasn't this big like the things that you absolutely.
Speaker 6: Know about your childhood home and walking into that again, it was like, it's a really incredibly emotional moment and the past went.
Speaker 5: Over there together.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, for the first time right after our very first table read at Warner Brothers, and we all decided to walk over there together as a group.
Speaker 5: And it was like we all had tears running down our face back in the home.
Speaker 2: Okay, who is who is the Who's the softest of the cast? On the last day, who who?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: I know you all were like who lost it? Who lost it the most? Like who I did?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: It was It was really interesting because.
Speaker 2: I'm not across you come across. You come across tough, so like but you and the song.
Speaker 5: For sure, I am not like I'm not an emotional person.
Speaker 6: I'm not like I'm a tough not to crack in that regard, Like it's not I'm like, oh that's too.
Speaker 5: Bad, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like, but at the same time, incredibly empathetic. Yeah, and like I feel stuff really deeply, so I think it comes out.
Speaker 5: Because I'm like, n this is I got to keep it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not too much.
Speaker 5: But Cannice had been crying.
Speaker 6: Like the two weeks before, Andrew was crying all that week like, and there were moments for sure that we got like emotional together during that whole week. But man, when I went out to shoot that last scene, I could barely say my lines and I just I just sobbed.
Speaker 5: I really cried.
Speaker 6: And I remember Elias. I went right to him because he was just a wreck.
Speaker 5: I remember that.
Speaker 6: I remember that as a kid, and I just stood there and hugged him and held him, and you know, I just sobbed and cried, like I've all the pictures from that.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm just.
Speaker 5: And it was it was.
Speaker 6: It was sadness that I'm not going to get to do this every day because I just again, I loved the routine of it.
Speaker 5: I was so happy there. But it was also just this immense wave of gratitude.
Speaker 6: That I got to do that and experience that, and travel with this family to Japan.
Speaker 5: And go do that, and travel with them here and go you know, I just was. I was crying because I thought, Wow, what a life.
Speaker 6: You know, every time that I think I know how it's going to be and this is going to be what it is forever, it is, right, And that's a great thing.
Speaker 5: And it's also a painful thing, right, is that you know, the only constant in life has changed. But standing there, it just I felt so much.
Speaker 6: And my kids were there, and my parents were there, and you know, Candice's family, and Andrew's family, and these parents and and and you know, aunts and uncles in the original cast and people that had grown up with us now with my kids now, with our kids now, with our parents like it generational.
Speaker 4: Right moment, Oh, I would have lost in my mind too.
Speaker 6: And I think I would be hard pressed to say that there are very many shows like that.
Speaker 2: No, I'll agree with you, doesn't exist anymore. I mean it's rare. It's rare.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And and to have a set where it's you literally have three generations of family that all know each other, Bob. You know, they all know my parents and Andrew's and Kannas's parents and our kids and you know, it was like the family reunion every Friday night on take nights.
Speaker 5: Everybody's husbands and kids and this and that.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that sounds so fun.
Speaker 5: That was that was what I loved. That energy. It was wonderful. It was wonderful to watch and a really special thing to be a part of. And I knew it.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's it's even on my movies, all the things you just discussed.
Speaker 7: I get like a little feeling of that every movie I make, Like you know, you're you know, three months of pre production, three months of shooting.
Speaker 2: It's like an eight month thing. Yah. Right, But what you're talking about is.
Speaker 7: Decades of friendship, of growing up, of evolving and with your movies.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you know, it's like you don't shoot with the same people every day, and this was a cast that they were shooting together.
Speaker 5: You create this little this business. You know, I love it. We're a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Carnies, by the way, Jody, I say that to everybody. We are exactly that.
Speaker 7: We come into town, we set up the tents, we put on the show, and then it's over and it's like, you know, sometimes you get to go back with the same people, but not always where your situation. You're talking about decades of friendship, of growing, of seeing each other have families, and then getting to do it again for five more years. That is a blessing at the highest level. I really, you're a lucky, lucky person.
Speaker 5: For many many reasons, and.
Speaker 6: I don't forget it, you know, gratitude, like and in sobriety, but just in general, like looking around and being grateful for what I have and then turning that into.
Speaker 5: The fight and the passion that I have for others.
Speaker 6: You know, I really, I know I've been really lucky in a lot of ways, and you know, I don't take that for granted any any at any moment.
Speaker 4: You can definitely tell you you are amazing to talk to. I'm so appreciative that you took time to be on our podcast.
Speaker 5: Very absolutely. My pleasure is so nice to talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, this was great. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: And I think that people were all fans of this show. Whether you're old like me and you're fans of both versions, or you're nostalgic like Lala, you're fans of both versions.
Speaker 6: Rights you know, it's the nineties.
Speaker 5: Kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a nice I'm a nice.
Speaker 5: My boyfriend's older than I am.
Speaker 6: He's fifty one, and so we have that say there's like just enough of a gap sometimes where he's like, yeah, no, I wasn't into that.
Speaker 5: I'm like, you know, my god, that was everything, and he's like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I'm just kind of old for that's like.
Speaker 4: Your age is showing. Yep, there's the gap. Didn't realize it until something.
Speaker 5: From like Nickelodeon, Are You Afraid the Door Called? Like I was like twenty one already at drinking and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: It was such a pleasure to talk to you. We hope to talk to you soon. You You're awesome.
Speaker 5: Thank you, my love, thank you absolutely, thank you you guys. It was a pleasure.
Speaker 4: Bye me.