Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by fan we will make every moment more coming up while the Bills search for a new head coach, we examined the areas in need of improvement for Buffalo's roster. Will the bills current roster impact the coaching candidate they ultimately hire in an effort to minimize change, And we'll have our one burning question. Let's get the off season train rolling. Glad to have you with us here on Bills by the Numbers. He's Bill's Wall of Famers, Steve Diaskround Bills play by playman Chris Brown, and with another season over a bit too soon, we focus on Buffalo's roster and where it didn't reach its full potential. Now, the Bills were still a very successful team as we know, twelve and five record, fourth in total offense, seventh in total defense. But in the postseason, as we know, they didn't play their best, but also may have not had all the answers. Buffalo, like many teams, even those in the playoffs this year, had their share of flaws, and that's where we begin. What part of this team sits at the top of the list in terms of fortifying or in need of fortification going forward and improving with personnel.
Speaker 2: Well that with the situation of the contracts and the cap and all that stuff. Obviously there's a couple of spots. You're losing two starting offensive line and one of the things that has been you know, to free agency to create kind of foundational for the success of the offense. To me, that that's where you start. I know, the wide receiver is gonna they're gonna fill out the roster with wide receivers and all that. But this offense, as you said, fourth and total offense, with a revolving door and absolute mess at wide receiver. Don't let what's good about it go. You've got the number four offensive league. Keep it there at least, and then anything you can add on on the outside at wide receiver will be grave. Your tight ends are still in the room. Khalisha Kiir is still in a contract. James Cook just signed an extension, you know, So don't let the offensive line erode. Because whether you've got you know, a Hall of Fame wide receiver out there or not, Josh, you're going to be running for his life before he can get the vault there. You've got to start with the foundation. He can't lose that. To me, it starts and ends with the offensive line on offense, and the same thing on the defense. They've still got to bolster the defense and try and get find a pass rush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking at the offense, I would tend to agree with that. How they decide financially to refortify the line, whether by resigning their own or by promoting from within with maybe a young player in the pipeline at one of the spots, and maybe only resign one of the two those being Connor McGovern and David Edwards, remains to be seen. And you know, once again the Bills have to get under the cap first and then decide if they're going to make some other fiscal decisions to create more cap space, be it restructure, be it outright release, whatever the case might be. But I don't think there's any getting around the fact that the receiver production, due partially to injury and to other factors, was not there. The interesting thing is, if you look at the numbers, and that's what we do here, they weren't that far off from last year. So Here are the receiver totals twenty twenty four compared to twenty twenty five by receivers only. We're not talking tight ends, we're not talking backs here. So in twenty twenty four, the receivers had one hundred ninety receptions. This past season one hundred and eighty, so ten fewer catches by the receiving corps in total yards twenty twenty four twenty four hundred this year twenty one hundred seven, so about a three hundred yard difference there. Down and then receiving touchdowns seventeen in twenty twenty four, just eleven this year. They did have one rushing touchdown from Elijah More in Week two against the Jets.
Speaker 2: This total regular season and playoffs.
Speaker 1: This is regular season only, So the production was down, but not dramatically down, maybe with the exception of yards.
Speaker 2: And I think too one of the things that we always notice here, particularly with this crew and in the era that we were in with Josh, you see it on the field, these small, subtle differences. There are moments in the games where you're missing the X guy, that big, big time guy. Not all the time, because they have they get good production from the tight ends and the running backs, and the running game was a huge factor this year. We led the league in rushing the whole thing. But there's no doubt that every so often you're looking for some receiver that yeah, but you know he needs a target. They didn't have that this year. Kali Secure was very late to the party this year and starting to get it. He saw it in the playoffs where he got twelve to twelve in the wild card round and another seven against Denver. So he emerged, you know, at the time when it was the most important, but during the regular season and at the time when this team kicked it off in Week one with a chance or designs on getting the one seed, those small margins become big differences.
Speaker 1: I think at the end of the day, the NFL is a matchup league, and I think in the regular season you can overcome maybe some one on one matchup deficiency at the skill positions and still find a way to win the game, especially if you did, especially if you have the number one rushing offense in football, and yes, that's what the Bills did. When you get to the playoffs and you're playing against the best defenses in the league. Not to mention the fact that the Bills in succession faced the number one run defense and the number two run defense in football. That's the point where maybe you need to be able to pivot and have a winning matchup or two in the passing game. And I think on the outside on the perimeter that hasn't materialized yet, whether you thought a young player like Keon Coleman was going to step into that role, or whether you did not acquire maybe the right free agent to step into that role. Now, Joshua Palmer was on ir by the time they got to the postseason. But Joshua Palmer did not have a single receiving touchdown this season, not one. What for a ten million dollars a year receiver, I think the expectations were significant higher than that.
Speaker 2: What gets lost in this when you when you look at the schematics and the and the extra knows what it means in the big picture when you've got a big time X receiver. Yes, certainly there's a guy that you can go to and throw it to. But more than that, it forces a defense to play you a certain way. The defense is not gonna one on one him with some just a guy they've got to put their number one corner on him, and then if that and give him some help in certain situation, a big X receiver, you're gonna double team him all the time, and some teams will double team him with your number two corner and help. So hopefully those two guys are good enough to stop your number one guy, and then our number one guy is really good enough to stop your number two guy. So then you've that's how a defense attacks your personnel, and it's a trickle down effect, right, So if you've got a guy that can't be covered it or is harder to cover, the amount of assets and attention a guy gets from a defense affects how good everybody else can play, and where you all of a sudden, your number one rushing offense becomes unstoppable because the defense will not take two guys off that guy, and they're stopping you with seven guys in the box instead of eight or nine because you got two guys or two and a half guys watching the X guy. That's the problem that a big time wide out gives you because he's out there by himself and you got to throw guys outside the box to go cover him, or move guys or stem guys after the snap. That's what gets lost in all this. It's not just about throwing that the guy ten times a game. It's about what a defense has to do just to cover him up just because he's there, and what the fear he strikes into their coaching staff.
Speaker 1: In case you were wondering where the passing game production went, it largely went to the tight ends. Twenty twenty four seventy two receptions for eight hundred total yards and four receiving touchdowns by the tight ends in twenty twenty four. This past season, twenty twenty five, receptions went up by twenty three ninety five receptions and the yardage went up by more than four hundred yards, from eight hundred to twelve hundred ten. And then here's where the big spike happened. Receiving touchdowns. They went from four in twenty twenty four to twelve this past season. The three tight ends on this roster outscored the receivers, of which numbered about eight by the time you had guys shuffling in the lineup. Twelve receiving touchdowns for the three tight ends, eleven receiving touchdowns for the entire receiving corps this season.
Speaker 2: And I think that number was probably exacerbated by the fact that the coaching staff getting ready for games, knew the tight ends were going to be there. Yeah, they knew they were going to be in there.
Speaker 1: That's a part of it.
Speaker 2: And in a week to week they didn't know if if you know, this guy with Palmer was in, and you go all the way back to all the guys that were here, Elijah Moore was going to They don't know who these guys were be in and so they knew the tight ends were going to be there, so they planned for it and the production was there. That doesn't surprise me either.
Speaker 1: It looked that way to the naked eye just thinking about it, without even consulting the numbers in case you were running wondering where the running backs went. In the receiving game, they were largely flat from twenty four to twenty five sixty seven receptions in twenty four, sixty nine this year, seven hundred and thirty one yards last year, six hundred and sixty four yards this year. Eight touchdowns receiving last year six this year, so relatively the same, and it makes sense you had the same three guys to a large degree with Cook, Johnson and Davis Part two for where we'd like to see improvement. You mentioned the defensive line. Pass rush is a problem and it's been a persistent problem for this team in terms of having a difference maker off the edge that other teams to your point of about an X receiver game plan four, And we look at the pass rush totals quickly before we dive into this conversation. Twenty twenty four, thirty nine sacks ranked eighteenth in the league. This year thirty six sacks ranked twentieth in the league. Where they've been strong is passer rating allowed, and you got to credit the guys on the back end for this too, obviously eighteenth and passer rating allowed in twenty four. Passer rating was ninety three point three for opposing quarterbacks this year seventh in the league in passer rating allowed seventy nine point eight passer rating. Pass pressure percentage tenth in twenty twenty four, eleventh and twenty twenty five. Then you have quarterback knockdown percentage, largely the same thirteenth and twenty twenty four. It was eighth this year, although it only went up one and a half percent. Hurry percentage seventh in twenty twenty four, twentieth in twenty twenty five, and then completion percentage allowed that improved to a great degree. Completion percentage allowed in twenty four they were twenty eighth sixty eight and a half percent. Twenty twenty five fourth fifty nine point seven percent. Big jump there, you could feel that. Yeah, and then QB hits sixteenth in twenty twenty four with ninety four, twentieth this year with ninety two. Is what is It's been an elusive problem for the Bills to solve and fix. It's not like they have not tried. I mean they've tried year over year over year to address it. And this past offseason they signed three defensive linemen in free agency and drafted three defensive linemen in the draft class, although not all of them were edge rushers. There were defensive tackles obviously drafted and signed in free agency. But if you look at it, Michael Hoyt not really a part of the equation. Played a game and a half and that was it. Joey Bosa after he injured his wrist, was a non factor the rest of the season playing through that. And to your point about free agency. On the offensive line, You've got Bosa and aj Epanessa as free agents, so you'll have presumably some subtraction there. The problem here, I see it. Steve is sure you could get a Tier two free agent to sign here. I think you have to invest in the draft here and find a way to get elite pass rushing talent, even if you need to trade up in round one where the Bills are picking twenty fifth. I know the draft is a long way off, but you're right.
Speaker 2: The problem is those guys that can really rush the passer, that have those double digit sactions year after year after year. You know, obviously the Miles Garretts of the world and the Max Crosby, although Max Crosby was a lower round draft pick, they're one percenters. You've they have to have. You've got to have elite physical traits. You've got to be big, tall, long, fast, strong, athletic, all of that, and you've and you've got to have something between your ears. Those guys are hard to find. The Bills are. You're not gonna get the one of those guys in free agency because teams will not let them go. You could possibly, yes, you could possibly trade for one, but it's gonna your cap is gonna be out of whack if you do. And the only way to get one is high in the NFL. Not just a first rounder. I'm talking in the first ten picks of the first round, at least fifteen. Maybe you've got to get in the top half of the first round, and there has to be a guy there. Well, yes, there's not gonna be six of them. There's gonna be two maybe, maybe two, three possibly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna pretend you have looked at the draft class yet.
Speaker 2: But that here historically speaking, right, it's not gonna be a handful. It's not going to be a handful. So you've got to go up and get one if you want one of those ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because here's what I come back to. We heard Brandon being in his press conference this past week when he talked about tweaking the roster and upgrading it, and he was explaining how when you're paying a quarterback top of the market money, which they are obviously with Josh Allen, you have to make sacrifices elsewhere in my estimation, which with as hard as they have been chasing improving the pass rush, I think the formula, and the sacrifice you have to make is draft capital. I think you have to sacrifice draft capital and maybe significant draft capital to get to a place where you can get a premier pass rusher in the draft, because to me, that's the only way you're going to get elite talent at a price you can afford. Right, So cough up and sacrifice draft capital to acquire the elite talent you need on your defensive line to change the fortunes of your pass rush productivity. Now what do you say to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, you can sacrifice it to get it. If if the guys are if you feel he's a sure thing, sure.
Speaker 1: You have ye won't have to be over the moon about the talent that.
Speaker 2: You cant is lean And because it's because Josh is on the team, they are they are lean heavily on drafting on the defensive side of the ball. They did this last year. Uh. And when they draft on the offensive side of the ball, it's much easier uh to draft big dudes up up, you know, in the draft for the offensive line. Say, but I think they have spent a lot of some draft apple, at least on the defensive secondary trying to bolster the defensive pass rush by covering guys up a little better. Cole Bishop, Max Harrison to be just to name a few, Christian Benford, you know they they have sprinkled Jordan Hancock, Jordan Hancock and of course tarn was a long time ago a draft pick. But that's kind of where they go if they can keep those guys top notch.
Speaker 1: Because small guys are more plentiful in number.
Speaker 2: Athletes are. Athletes are a dime a dozen. Not all of them can play football. But you get a guy that's good enough athlete for sure in the draft, and that's where they've been able to draft and develop guys.
Speaker 1: Knowing the Bills still have some work to do to get under the cap, do you envision more of the best new talent added to the roster this coming offseason coming to this team via the draft.
Speaker 2: The best new talent probably not. No, you can't count on that because they're young. You don't know how they're going to adapt. There's a lot more question marks than there are if you signed free agents on the open market who are proven. Certainly, it did not turn out that way this last year with the free agent market and wide receivers of course, all those guys got nicked up and they were sidelin in and out of the line of it turned into a revolving It was kind of a mess because of the health aspect of the roster. But for the most part, you kind of know what you're getting in some of these guys, and this this crew with Brandon and their scouting, they've done a really nice job at finding guys who who emerge in Buffalo's system much better than they have appeared other places, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Dion Walker was a guy they drafted last year and fell fourth round, and he was as good and a consistent of defensive tackles the Bills had on their roster last.
Speaker 1: Year and he had made some made some All Rookie teams this year.
Speaker 2: He was a really good player that had a very good season, and I you gotta have high hopes for him going forward. Yep, stuff like that in the mix. I do think.
Speaker 1: Though, that at important high priced positions like edge rusher, like wide receiver, where the Bills aren't going to be able to pay a premium in free agency because of their cap situation. To improve those positions, those have to be acquired in the draft. So I think, look, we know Brandon being and how he operates. He tries to fill as many of the perceived positional holes as best he can in free agency, so he doesn't feel backed into a corner in the draft when he's on the clock because there's a glaring positional need. That's how he's operated. But knowing that he's going to be under some measure of financial constraints, I think he's going to choose to fill some of the lower priced position hol in free agency, and maybe not to the same degree positions like edge receiver, corner that are high priced positions that right now you can't spend a premium at those spots because of your cap situation and all the money you're paying, Josh, you got to hit it out of the park in the draft at those spots, and to our point earlier, you probably have to move up the board to get a premiere edge rusher. You can probably find a quality receiver somewhere. It's a good receiver draft is.
Speaker 2: Yet up to the middle of the first you can you're gonna get a good a good wide out. The middle of the first is a hit and miss. Whether you can find a defensive playmaker. That's a difference maker.
Speaker 1: Knowing cab space Steve could limit free agent spending. Do you believe their coaching search could or would prioritize choosing a coach who might change the least scheme wise, so as not to create more work and potentially more cost in getting the roster fits necessary to fit scheme changes.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I don't. I don't think they will. It will affect their decision about the head coach. It'll be consideration, and it'll be a it'll be a factor going forward. But if they feel like they've got the right head coach, they won't care what his philosophy is. That's that's something you can you can adjust to on the fly. I think that's a secondary consideration. I don't think it would affect the decision.
Speaker 1: I would tend to agree it's not the top priority. I will say this, though, Let's say, and this is just purely a hypothetical, the only way I could see something like that coming into play is if they're down to two candidates and they are razor thin. The difference between them is negligible, and one of them would create less disruption to scheme and personnel. I think that might tip the scale in favor of one over the other. But that's only if you have two guys that are Deady's.
Speaker 2: Hard for me. It's hard for me to envision two candidates being that close, right, what it would being that close would probably mean there is a larger difference than just scheme, because you'll have guys we know who the handful of people are making the decision for the Bills, Terry Brandon, you know Josh, you know me, Gang, the whole gang, The whole gang is going to be in there. The guys making that decision will probably will probably be some pushback on both sides about which guy they should take, and that's going to be the more, Yeah, the more.
Speaker 1: And to your point, the most important thing is to get the right leader for the team. If the schemes have to change, the schemes have to change. We transition to the numbers game, where Steve will be quizzed on off season acquisition activity. Here we go question number one, Steve, and we go to the very near past, so we're not digging too deep into history here. Question one, you had to guess how many unrestricted free agents did the Bill sign last offseason that we're new to the roster. Give me a number.
Speaker 2: To the roster at training camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, March April Scirice unrestricted free team.
Speaker 2: You're close.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit lower than that. It's eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're in the ballpark, all right? Not bad.
Speaker 1: Question number two, you're half a win. I'll give you a half point for that.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: How many Bills free agents were re signed back to the roster last offseason?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good one. I'm gonna say between five and eight.
Speaker 1: It's exactly five.
Speaker 2: Five.
Speaker 1: Well done, Steve.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Question number three, how many Bills players were signed to extensions last off sea? Remember it was the off season of extensions?
Speaker 2: Oh, does a restructure cows an extension?
Speaker 1: No, we're looking for a new deal, like long term.
Speaker 2: Missay. I'm just gonna say four.
Speaker 1: You're right there, Steve, it was five.
Speaker 2: I'm taking that one too.
Speaker 1: Josh Allen, Christian Benford to Rell Bernard t Liil Shakir, Greg Russo. Question number four, who was Buffalo's most expensive free agent signing last off season? Mike Hoyle It was not my Palmer's Joshua Palmer. Three years thirty million dollars. So pretty good job there, Steve in the numbers game.
Speaker 2: Well done.
Speaker 1: I was right round it here, Yeah, you were all over it.
Speaker 2: That's a win for me.
Speaker 1: Bills fans get in on the action with FanDuel, America's number one sportsbook. Just download the app today to play anyway you want. Plus, with live betting, you'll get updated odds on games that have already started. Best of all, you get pager winnings fast make every moment more with FanDuel Official Sportsbook, partner of the Buffalo Bills. Time now for our one burning question. Do you foresee the Bills going young, hotshot, first time head coach when they find their guy or do you think it will be a veteran candidate who has been a head coach before.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I think I think this head coach, the next one is going to have to convince the brass here that they can get it done, and get it done in the next two or three years, like right, real quick. I think that's the window this if the expectations are through the roof, all right. So if it's a young, hotshot guy, okay, but he's also as a huge plus because you think you get a thirty one, thirty two or thirty something guy here, he's gonna and he can be here for a long time. And the older guy, if it's an older former head coach, you would think there'd be less of a learning curve and that kind of thing, and he would have a plan and and say, listen, we need to do this and this and this, get that in place. Let's go less of a less of a startup. That's the question. A young guy's gonna have to convince a lot of people that he's going to hit the ground running an older coach. That will be part of the deal. That'll be understood that he can do that. And I think this is I think this head coach needs to hit it and hit it hard and hit it well early.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because the expectations are enormous, maybe higher than any other team. There's a open coach.
Speaker 2: There's a cark ticking on the quarterback. Now. I mean, he's going to be going in this ninth year. He's got another half a dozen years left. But you're you know, one super Bowl awesome? How about three? You know how well, let's not just I know that just one before we die all that stuff. You know that, But you know this is a it's let's go find the right guy and keep going, right.
Speaker 1: I think ultimately the right guy is the right guy. Whether it's young, up and coming, promising young coach who hasn't been a head coach before. I mean, that's what the Bills did the last time with Sean McDermott. Or maybe it is a guy that has been there and done that and will spend less time growing into a head coaching role because he's been one before, and spend more time getting this team over the top, you know, from a leadership perspective.
Speaker 2: And I'm not that caught up in young guy. I'm biased. They hired my head coach when I played. He was fifty nine at the time. Yeah so, or fifties at the time.
Speaker 1: As we know, NFL history has told us there are many different ways to skin the cat and have a successful.
Speaker 2: The right guys the right guy, yep, and you'll I think we'll know. We'll know quick after this thing kicks off if he's we'll find out in the off season. We're gonna get an idea of it. And that part of it's always fun. The part we've been through over the past week or two is not fun.
Speaker 1: Our closing figure examines Buffalo's previous head coaching hires. As we know, Sean McDermott coached the Bills for nine seasons and was a first time head coach when he was hired by Buffalo. Of the previous seven head coaching hires by Buffalo, three were first time head coaches at the NFL level, while four had been NFL head coaches prior to being hired by the Bills. It's almost split right down the middle. And I think we would agree this one could go either way as well, because they've had.
Speaker 2: The most successful one had never done it before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are young ones in the pool and there are some veteran ones in.
Speaker 2: The don't forget you get this guy. There are guys out there. I don't know who they are. I don't have an idea, but they hired the last guy. Nobody knew who Sean McDermott was. He came in and bang right away. So there's some of that going on here. This is this team is not that team. Nope, And so what it would take to get it, the requirements different, to earn their quick respect and to say come in to step and be the leader and step in to do a role that left the McDermott left a big void for this You saw it. That's that's the challenge to me. Plus the football side of it. Yeah, so it's you gotta have that's a big job.
Speaker 1: That twenty seventeen team was just looking for focused, defined vision and leadership. I think this team is looking for a difference maker that can help them take the next step.
Speaker 2: I'll say this as well. It's one of the things that I have noticed when good coaches, guys who know what they're doing, step in and they take up and they say okay, here we go, and they get in, they start to get to know their players and they start to find out who they are and who's the building, and understand what their team personality is and get and all that. You will always see like we did with the Bills when McDermott took over, and you can look around to other franchises, there will be some surprising players that are jettisoned.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw it here under McDermott's right. Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby their top two picks in the fourteen and fifteen.
Speaker 2: Draft, and the level.
Speaker 1: The left tackle get traded away to Cody Glen Cordy Glenn for the twenty eighteen draft a year later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, others, you know, they just that's one of the things a head coach they do not because they just want to make It's not a statement move. It is a personality and you're not doing enough.
Speaker 1: Move the right guys on the bus.
Speaker 2: Move that's right.
Speaker 1: Want the right guys on the.
Speaker 2: Want the right guys on the bus. And there's always a little bit of that. Now this is a different situation. May be that that Stark.
Speaker 1: I don't think it'll be that severe.
Speaker 2: Even going into the seventeen season when Darby and Watkins Watkins, that was right before the season, that was they weren't the right guys and that's a team that got to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: That's all for this edition. Be sure to subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use so you know when the next Step episode is out, because when you need to know about the bills, you need to check bills by the numbers. For Steve Tasker, I'm Chris Brown. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 1: Everybody