Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists. At Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only source for news. This is the Daily Child with your.
Speaker 2: Host show Steward.
Speaker 4: Oh, we are back from break our jewel, little cut shirt.
Speaker 1: We are back, Ladies and gentlemen, Women of the deal. Jo. Mine is Jonespirh. We have got a show for you tonight. I'm gonna be joined.
Speaker 4: Later by Rupa Barataria. She is the legal director of all.
Speaker 5: They They know there about a Charias Lego, director of Georgetown Laws, an institute for constitutional advocacy and protection.
Speaker 4: I know her as the individual who took over administrating the nine elevens of Droga Act, Victims Compensation and health care fund for nine eleven first responders and all the people that lived down at Ground zero and Pennsylvania the Pentagons.
Speaker 1: So deep state. She is deep state and I am going to take it to her.
Speaker 4: The first Today, the United Nations marked the third anniversary of the invasion of Ukraine by doing the only thing the United Nations can do, passing a non binding resolution asking Russia.
Speaker 1: To please stop, please take that putin.
Speaker 4: Interesting, though, among the countries voting against the resolution were North Korea, Belarus, Russia obviously, and the United States of America.
Speaker 1: They're saying Bruce, But.
Speaker 4: I guess America doesn't want to set the precedent of opposing bloody land grabs.
Speaker 1: So green and landy.
Speaker 4: But hey, century being the good guys in America, you know whatever. It's not the only thing Donald Trump is busy disrupting these days. As you know, the Doge Project, the Department of Government Efficiency, headed up by the nick cannon of white people, Elon mush.
Speaker 1: He's in.
Speaker 4: It's in full effect, and it may surprise you, I, for one, happen to be quite frankly Doge curious. I'm actually somewhat Doge adjacent. So, mister President, if you would, we.
Speaker 1: Have to solve the efficiency problem.
Speaker 6: We have to solve the fraud, waste, abuse, all the things that have gone into the government.
Speaker 4: Yes, Now, if you had woken up from a coma and heard nothing else that this man had said for the last ten years, you might think to yourself, I like this guy, I too believe government needs to be more efficient to weed out waste, fraud, and abuse and deliver the necessary services that Americans rely on more.
Speaker 1: Agilely so what do we do?
Speaker 6: First?
Speaker 4: Report through the Inspector General's reports that have addressed these things, utilize computerishness to excise redundancies in the system, find ways to more efficiently deliver the government assistant.
Speaker 1: So many Americans rely on what's first?
Speaker 7: Elon Musk and his Doze team firing thousands of federal workers.
Speaker 8: They're trying to cut ten percent of the federal workforce, which is two hundred thousand jobs.
Speaker 1: Oh, have we determined if those are effective workers? Is it based on performance?
Speaker 4: Are you going in with the scalpels so that we don't hit any vessels and vital organs?
Speaker 9: This is the chainsaw for bureaucracy thirds.
Speaker 1: All, so straight amputation. We're just amputation.
Speaker 4: It's like we're treating public servants as some kind of underclass.
Speaker 8: The DC creature is like an animal infested with ticks and parasites. Our money is lining these swamp creatures pockets. You know what you call someone who sucks up resources in return for nothing, You call them a parasite.
Speaker 10: And that is what the federal workforce has become. These saboteurs, the dead enders, the DEI undercover agents.
Speaker 6: The fraudsters, liars, use globalists and deep state bureaucrats are being sent backing, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 4: Guy who tests water for appropriate levels of fecal matter?
Speaker 1: What are we talking about?
Speaker 4: What you know? This is a stark emotional whiplash from looking for efficiencies. But apparently our nation civil service is now synonymous with waste, fraud and abuse, and magaworld is celebrating with maximum folksy.
Speaker 3: The gravy train. For a lot of these folks, it's been on biscuit wheels.
Speaker 1: It's about to run off the dead gum tracks, and it's about town.
Speaker 4: First of all, there is no way you actually talk like that. No way, you're a congressman from Tennessee. You didn't spring fully formed out of a primordial cracker barrel. Oh, this help burocra see is a shot uga chook shoo.
Speaker 1: To a props boil on the flapjacks.
Speaker 4: I'm just stringing food words together like nonsense.
Speaker 1: Other reactions were just creepy.
Speaker 10: Those just dishing out spankings like Daddy Daycare.
Speaker 4: I don't remember the spanking scene from Daddy Daycare. Oh you must mean the gay porn film Daddy Daycare. I've got it, Jesse, I get it. You were watching the film that answers the question what would happen if a bunch of dudes in a daycare?
Speaker 1: And it's just stuck in your head.
Speaker 4: You know, I gotta tell you, I feel like you can make efficiency recommendations or cuts without necessarily demonizing the people who are only carrying out Congress's wishes.
Speaker 1: But I feel like that they don't.
Speaker 4: Here's Donald Trump's new Director of the Offices of Management and Budget on his feelings about everyone who works for him.
Speaker 3: We want the bureaucrats to be traumatically affected when they work up in the morning.
Speaker 1: We want them to not want to go to.
Speaker 4: Work mission accomplished, because these workers are the worst, a hive of scumming villainy.
Speaker 1: Star Wars reference mostly scum and villainy, just not the workers. You know.
Speaker 10: Let me tell you a story about Chris. He's gonna get dozed. And this guy's not a DEI consultant. This guy's not a climate consultant. I finally felt one person I knew that got doze, and it.
Speaker 1: Hit me in the heart.
Speaker 10: We just need to be a little bit less callous with the way, Harold, we talk about dozing people.
Speaker 1: Do you watch your show.
Speaker 4: Yes, you certainly want to be callous, like referring to someone losing their livelihood as being a child being spanked at daycare.
Speaker 1: But I guess that's just the price of efficiency.
Speaker 4: Doze is dropping force guided bombs into the thermal exhaust port.
Speaker 1: That is the death star of our bureaucracy.
Speaker 4: I love Star Wars, I just love the far but Dozes Jedi level shit man. The FDA is looking to rehire around three hundred people. The Trump administration will reverse staffing cuts to the nine to eleven Health Fund.
Speaker 8: Hundreds of workers at the National Nuclear Security Administration fired, then nearly all will rehired days later.
Speaker 7: The Veterans Affairs Apartment reinstated terminated employees, and the USDA is rescinding termination letters sent to people working on the response to bird flu.
Speaker 4: When I said you are criminal parasites, obviously wasn't referring to I have.
Speaker 1: The bird flu. Come back to work, please. But that's fine.
Speaker 4: Staffing is only part of the Doge mission. There's other crazy shit we could cut.
Speaker 10: We don't need to be wasting money on ridiculous items like saying how fast shrimp can run on treadmills?
Speaker 4: One point five million to see the effect of yoga on goats.
Speaker 10: A million dollars to study Mexican ducks in their wetland facilities.
Speaker 11: Studies on the effect of meditation on parrots, nearly a.
Speaker 10: Million to study of cocaine makes Japanese quail more sexually promiscuous.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with yes on that last one.
Speaker 4: I feel that I, not a scientist, can very comfortently state pre experiment.
Speaker 1: If you are a Japanese quail with an eight.
Speaker 4: Ball, you are getting your cloiqu assuct.
Speaker 1: Oh, that may be the most favorite thing I've ever said on this show. No, that's.
Speaker 4: Now obviously that list of programs, some of them are being presented to seem even more ridiculous, and some of those were completely invented out of thin air. But the point is, why are we spending money on things that seem obviously stupid, even though a government funded study on HeLa monsters is how we ended up with ozepic. By the way, quick pitch weight gain also would be solved by Japanese quail cocaine. It's really the Star Wars of drugs. Cocaine no downsides.
Speaker 1: You'd be having your cloacas sucked in no time. All right.
Speaker 4: But even if this project of DOGE is animated by malice for administrator and is seemingly rash and occasionally cutting off critical government functions out of.
Speaker 1: Haste, the savings alone will be worth it.
Speaker 4: On the doe's website, they posted sixteen billion dollars saved justin canceled contracts.
Speaker 1: Interesting if true.
Speaker 11: A closer look shows big problems. For example, DOZE claimed acting a single immigration and customs contracts saved eight billion dollars. Turns out that contract was worth a maximum of eight million.
Speaker 9: The Wall Street Journal estimates the actual amount saved at not sixteen billion, but closer to two and a half.
Speaker 4: Who much does asn't lied about saying something is sixteen when it's.
Speaker 1: Really two and a half a billion inches that's not true either.
Speaker 4: See it seems that DOGE is struggling a bit to get its footing from made up claims about fifteen million dollars of taxpayer money going for gosen condoms to billions in Social Security payments to dead people, a claim that turned out to not be real.
Speaker 1: Despite what you've heard, we.
Speaker 6: Have millions and millions of people over one hundred years old. Is there obviously fraudulent or incompetent. But if you take all of those millions of people off Social Security, all of a sudden we have a very powerful social security with people that are eighty and seventy and ninety, but not two hundred years old.
Speaker 4: True, you can't argue with that if only it were happening.
Speaker 1: But it's not happening.
Speaker 4: We're not paying millions and millions of dead people's social Security money. And even if there was a two hundred year old man walking around, he wouldn't need Social Security. He'd still be in Congress. Guys, I'm going to tell you something. Cutting money shouldn't be this hard. I'm starting to think that we as a country don't understand where the real waste, fraud and abuse in our.
Speaker 1: System really is.
Speaker 4: Maybe the savings we gleaned from cutting VA nurses and iguana STD studies isn't where the real money is. Let me see if I can noodle, you know what, let me join doh, I'm gonna see if I can noodle some ideas here.
Speaker 1: I want to get down some certain ideas.
Speaker 4: I want to do a get there we go.
Speaker 1: I got that. Let's see what I happen to Here is my want to be an accountant starter kit.
Speaker 4: So I got it off Amazon for five thousand dollars. My accountant told me not to get it. So we're looking to save taxpayers some money and I know.
Speaker 1: Let me think we got the studies that are done.
Speaker 4: Or oh, how about we just take three billion dollars in subsidies we give to oil and gas companies that already turned billions in profits.
Speaker 1: How long did that take? Oh?
Speaker 4: Wait, how about we just closed down the carried interest loophole on hedge funds.
Speaker 1: That's one point three billion dollars a year.
Speaker 4: Oh how about we stopped the two trillion dollars we've given the defense contractors to build a fighter jet that blows when everybody knows the next war is going to be fought.
Speaker 1: With drones and blockchain whatever. That is? Holy shit, I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I just saved us billions of dollars in eleven seconds.
Speaker 1: Just call them it big.
Speaker 4: Balls, right, I'm sorry, I'm being told that that nickname is already taken. Well, can I get a doge nickname? Disturbingly low hanging balls?
Speaker 1: Really? Oh you've never heard of how would you even know that? Oh? I'm sorry, but see this is where the real money is.
Speaker 4: The real money, the money our free market ish system uses to prop up corporate profit at the expense of the taxpayer. Pharmaceutical companies get everything from our government, tax breaks, research grants, patent extensions worth billions of dollars, and what do we the people get for it? The highest drug prices in the Western hemisphere, and for some reason, the possibility of an infection in our paraneum. Why would you take a drug that would give you an infection in your paraneum? And why are they telling us about it at dinner time? But you know what's so horrible about our system now.
Speaker 1: And the corruption that laid went in it, We're so fecking numb to it.
Speaker 4: We actually touted tiny cracks in that exploitation as.
Speaker 8: Victory presidents, touting the first ever negotiations with pharmaceutical companies to lower the cost of ten drugs.
Speaker 12: And today I'm proud to announce some Medicare has reached the agreement with all manufacturers on all ten drugs selected in the first round of negotiations.
Speaker 1: Oh can it.
Speaker 4: Be the companies we subsidized with billions of dollars car allowing us the privilege to negotiate the price of ten of their drugs, and ten is all of them? Right, It would be embarrassing if it was a small drop in the bucket, and that the American people didn't expect that we should negotiate for all their facking drugs because we've already paid for them with our subsidies.
Speaker 1: I'll be going to the What we do in pharmaceutical companies is like the worst shark tank deal in fing history.
Speaker 4: Well, we're asking for billions of dollars of your money. Oh what do we get ten percent of your company? Now do we get a discount? Now what do we get? Have you checked your perineum?
Speaker 1: We live in the.
Speaker 4: Upside down, and don't blame the corporations. They are profits seeking psychopaths that need the lowest wages and the cheapest raw materials to drive their highest profits. But why do we, the taxpayers, subsidize their psychopathy. That's the waste, fraud and abuse in our system.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's what we should be going after, not the fantastical over generous terrorist condom allowances.
Speaker 6: In another program, fifty million dollars plus another fifty million dollars for condoms for Hamas.
Speaker 1: You know that one hundred million dollars for condoms? Condoms? Does everybody know what a condom is?
Speaker 4: You're delivering the speech in an elementary school. Why wouldn't they Why wouldn't they know what condoms are? Look, capitalism is by definition exploitative.
Speaker 1: It's how it operates.
Speaker 4: That's fine, But then government's role should be to ease the negative effects on Americans of that exploitation, not subsidize that treachery with our money. We're getting fit at a ditty party and they're making us buy the baby oil.
Speaker 8: I want.
Speaker 4: Siver, but man, I want doze to work.
Speaker 1: I want better efficiencies.
Speaker 4: I want to get rid of the alphabet agencies that don't do enough make the Pentagon pass an audit. But we are dozing in the wrong place if we want to really change the system. Companies like Walmart McDonald's make billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidized profits, yet many of their hardworking employees need taxpayer subsidized public assistance. Airlines get billions in bailouts that they use in stock buybacks and bonuses, but if you're on food assistance, you're not allowed to buy hot food with it because apparently heated entrees off of winners. We are subsidizing the very system that makes workers' lives harder in the first place, all in the name of freedom and liberty. But the greatest restriction of freedom in this country is in dei and pronoun pressure.
Speaker 1: It's free poverty and struggle and the government's role. I'm not done.
Speaker 12: Yeah, badass, it's fine.
Speaker 4: The government's role should be to end the corruption that enables that exploitation.
Speaker 13: That's what the Democrats should be doing every day, every day, every day, at five pm sharp, the Democrats should go live on Facebook and do the people's audit. Find the absurdities and the remedies in our exploitative system. Get someone like aoc your Jasmine Crockett or Chris Murphy or anybody that doesn't sound like they're complaining why there's no more frozen yogurt at the cafeteria in the villages.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry you have no riz.
Speaker 4: And we need something more than shouting. We need to do something constructive to anchor our hopes. A new acronym for a new age, It's not MAGA. It's something more like make America not governed. In obviously negative aboard a board Hodar, no divigilantes.
Speaker 1: But do something. When we come back, Rupa Baricharia will be joining us. Don't go away right after the data.
Speaker 4: So my gut Tonight A distinguished lawyer served more than twenty five years in federal government, including a special Master of the September eleventh Victim Compensation Fund.
Speaker 1: He's welcome to the program, Rupa Batacharia.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hi, Rupert, it is so nice to see you again.
Speaker 9: Thank you you too.
Speaker 1: You and I met in twenty sixteen. You had just please explain.
Speaker 4: You became the what's called the special Master or the special Paymaster of the nine to eleven Victim's Compensation form.
Speaker 1: That's right, through DOJ.
Speaker 9: Through DOJ. I was appointed by Attorney General Loretta Lynch at the back end of the Obama administration and then served for six years through the Trump administration and part of the bid administration.
Speaker 4: And your job was to take this program that had been appropriated by Congress and translate that legislation into action.
Speaker 9: That's right. And basically my job was to make sure that those who were injured by the September eleventh attacks, mostly because they were at the sites and breathing in the toxic dust got the compensation that they deserved.
Speaker 1: So you were a man and all.
Speaker 4: And obviously I don't mean to just paraphrase or those things. You were parasite on the system.
Speaker 9: Yes, apparently.
Speaker 4: Is what do you think when you hear that kind of talk about those in the government that are there to try and faithfully execute what the legislation has already appropriated.
Speaker 9: Honestly, it just makes me sad. I spent my entire career in federal government until I left in twenty twenty two, and throughout all administration, across party lines, and through all of it, every single person that I worked with, agencies across the government, their only goal is to administer the programs that Congress passed and that the Executive Branch wants administered according to its rules and its process. That's what we do. That's our job.
Speaker 1: And I was blown with it. So you were trying to do your job.
Speaker 4: And I showed up in your office one day with a gentleman by the name of John Field from the FIELDGA Foundation, who had lobbied very intensely to get it done, and we just showed up and you were so gracious to us, and you showed us around the office, and I was so impressed with the way that you had approached it with such compassion but also a toughness. And you had a mantra on your and I feel like an idiot because I'm sure it's like a managerial like hang in there poster and you just be like, yeah, it's a dumb thing that I put up on. But it was a mantra. Do you remember what I'm talking about?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 1: What did it say?
Speaker 9: It was our guiding principles, and it was the way that we ran the program was we wanted to be fair to claimants, faithful to the statute, and accountable to the taxpayer.
Speaker 14: Come on, it.
Speaker 4: Makes me, It makes me so angry. I want to smash another mug. Oh wow, this thing's really coming out.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 4: You know, in the commercial break, I had a lightsaber battle with one of the crew members.
Speaker 1: And that's how I got it, and you did it.
Speaker 4: The program itself had very little waste, fraud, and abuse because your mandate was to make sure that the people who got it, who should get it, got it, and the people who shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Get it didn't get it.
Speaker 9: That was my job.
Speaker 4: So this week or last week, I hear they're just cutting twenty percent of the stabs of people and the victim's compensation was one of those offices.
Speaker 9: It was the World Trade Center Health World General Health, which is our sister program.
Speaker 1: That's the one that administers healthcare to people.
Speaker 9: That's the one that administers healthcare to people. Is it's actually even more important because it provides these responders and survivors who worked at the World Trade Center side at the on at Shanksville who are now sick with the health care that they need. Eighty five thousand people who worked at one of the sides who lived in Manhattan have been certified with one or more nine to eleven related conditions. And so the cuts that were made were indiscriminately made to cut almost twenty percent of the staff of the health program, which would have been devastating.
Speaker 4: And what are in practical terms, and you know that people love a good conversation about administration and.
Speaker 1: Paperwork. In practical terms, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: Does that mean people wouldn't be able to access the program, They wouldn't be able to sign up for the program, they wouldn't be able to make their appointments, they wouldn't get their medications.
Speaker 1: What would it.
Speaker 9: Mean all those things. It means that people who are going to sign up for medical monitoring. Over one hundred and forty thousand people are monitored. Ten thousand people tried to sign up for monitoring last year. Those applications wouldn't get processed or they would be delays in processing them. They would be delays in certifying the conditions as nine to eleven related, which means that there would be delays in getting them healthcare and delays in getting their compensation from the VCF, which depends on those certifications. It means that additional conditions couldn't be determined as potentially eligible because the studies that would have funded that were being taken away. It means that the oversight of the program, which is largely run through contract.
Speaker 1: Actual people looking for they got.
Speaker 9: Cut to, got cut to.
Speaker 1: What are we doing for God's sake?
Speaker 9: And then they were rehired.
Speaker 1: And then they were rehired two days later.
Speaker 9: About a week later, thanks to the intervention of the New York Congressional delegation. Shout out definitely to Representative Andrew Garbrino of Long Island.
Speaker 4: Garbarino, by the way, for those of you in Long Island come to Goburrinos, a fantastic Italian restaurant overlooking Long Island Sound.
Speaker 9: But Senator Schumer and Jill Bramm were also instrumental.
Speaker 4: On Schumer and Jill Bann have ben on it. Jill Grant especially had been on it forever. Hillary Clinton when it first started, was an incredible advocate for it.
Speaker 1: But the reason why I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 4: It is because it's a very specific program. But in the specificity of it, I think there's something universal here. There's a ton of programs out there right now that don't have Republicans in a congressional delegation, you know, trying to fight for it, and they're gone.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you don't have I mean, it's a sad commentary, right that the only reason that program was saved is because there are Republicans who are willing to go to the President and ask him to reinstate it. And thankfully, and I'm grateful that he did. But not every program has that constituency, and we shouldn't live in a world where the only programs that get saved are the ones where Republicans are willing to put their stamp of approval on right as.
Speaker 4: Long as it demonstrates fealty to the leadership. Anything along those lines were when you were administrating, What are the frustrations within government? Is it what makes it so difficult for government to be agile?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: Are there too many regulations? Is there too much paperwork? Do we need a moonshot to simplify things? Because I think I would love the idea of more efficiency.
Speaker 1: And a less adversarial role.
Speaker 4: It seems like any government program that's going to help people, and I know this from the pac NAC, any government program that's going to help people is adversarial, that the people become adversarial with the people trying to get the money.
Speaker 9: So we have certainly tried not to be adversarial. That was not our goal. But I think one of the things that sort of gets lost in all this conversation about efficiency is that part of the reason government is inefficient, part of the reason that bureaucracies exist, is because we are trying so hard to make sure that there isn't ways for odd abuse in our programs. The reviews and the processes and the things that seem to take a long time that sort of hang us up. Are there for a reason they're there because we want to make sure that we are being appropriate stewards of the public's money right and that we're handling these programs responsibly. Is it too much? Sometimes? Maybe? But the way to solve it isn't just to go in and discriminately cut people out.
Speaker 1: I wonder, let me pitch this.
Speaker 4: Is there a way if we were to make because you know, there are tons of people that qualify for food assistants who don't claim those benefits because it's difficult, there's a lot of hoops you have to jump through, and all those things, if the government didn't use waste, fraud and abuse as a default, made that money simpler to get like what it was in the pandemic, and then bolstered the money on the back end searching for fraud. Because it seems like we're making the three percent or five percent of fraud, we're making the ninety five percent pay a price for that. Is there a different way to jigger those programs, make them easier to access and bolster the fraud watched.
Speaker 1: On the back end of it.
Speaker 9: So I'll say two things. First of all, there is there are very very routine and rigorous processes in place at all federal agencies to try to prevent waste, boad and abuse. There are the inspector generals. The VCF underwent, there were the inspector generals. There's the Government Accountability Office, OMB does a budget process to make sure that money is being appropriately allocated to the right programs, and there's annual fiscal audits. Right so every step of the way there is something happening to try to make sure but those programs, all of that process only runs if you have the staff there to do it, and the staff who understands the programs, who can answer questions, who has expertise. The second thing I would say is that if you're going to eliminate efficiency inefficiencies in programs, the people you have to talk to are the people who are running the programs. That's what I did when I started up the LAT.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, so that's it's a clauseline. I disagree with you a little bit. Whenever I have a situation like that, I rely on teenage boys. I find them judicious and hormonally balanced, and I like to let them loose in an organization.
Speaker 1: And just go how about it, boys, It must be.
Speaker 4: So incredibly frustrating to see that because I'm also like I was very frustrated at the fights that had to occur to get people who had earned benefits benefits, and I imagine that's and to see how easily corporate interests have infiltrated our process through lobbying. You know, the tax code isn't complex because working class people made it that way. You know, the regulations aren't complex and difficult to do because small businesses want that. That's all the result of corporate lobbies because they know how to gain the system. Is how do we stop that part for infiltrating the part that you want to do?
Speaker 9: So that's a really good question that I wish I had an answer to. I'm not sure. I'm not sure that I do. What I do know is that we have, especially in the context of the nine to eleven programs, the VCF, the World Trade Center Health program, we have seen over and over and over again, these responders who are sick go back to the Hill over and over and over to try to keep these programs funded.
Speaker 1: It's happening again.
Speaker 9: It's happening again.
Speaker 4: This Wednesday, you know, Yes, this Wednesday, they're going to reintroduce some legislation to get funding right.
Speaker 9: The World Trade Center Health Program is facing a crisis. It's still a few years out, and so that makes it hard for Congress to focus on it. But the fact of the matter is is that if you don't know whether you're not you're going to be funded a few years from now, you have to make decisions today about how many people you take into the program, because you need to make the money sure that the money lasts. I had this exact same problem in twenty eighteen when we reauthorized the VCP. I had to cut awards by fifty percent because.
Speaker 1: We did in the middle of it. And I remember that.
Speaker 9: Because we didn't have enough money, and it was thanks to you and thanks.
Speaker 4: To get it all those people. They were tireless and many of them were very, very sick. The response to give you a sense of what that is in the middle of the VCF funding and the Victa's conversation, if your cancer had just been if you had the unlucky occurrence of having a cancer diagnosed in twenty twenty one or twenty nineteen, when the fund had lost money, you wouldn't have gotten the full benefit because they had to resource guard.
Speaker 1: But that's what's happening. You had to reach I read it must have been heartbreaking.
Speaker 9: But that is exactly what is happening to the World Trade Center Health program right now. And doctor Howard, who was a Trump appointee, who was appointed in a who's reappointed to his position in the last part of the Trump administration, is going to have to make decisions very soon about how many people he can continue to allow into the program if they don't re up the funding. And so members of Congress, including New York delegations, or reintroducing that billo on Wednesday. It's it's already been agreed to twice and been stripped twice, once in twenty two two and once just in December when the funding bill fell apart.
Speaker 4: From an omnibus bill they were going to sneak it into like a transportation bill or something along.
Speaker 9: So hopefully this time around. You know, these these these responders and these survivors, many of them have PTSD, many of them have very severe health conditions. To have to go up again and again and again to ask for this funding is.
Speaker 1: Just and again, this isn't just this program.
Speaker 4: This is happening across government, and this is what we talk about when this system must be torn down, the idea that people who need the funding, that's what government exists to provide. It doesn't exist to provide a smoother road for McDonald's. It exists to provide for people. And that's got it's got to change.
Speaker 1: And so I really appreciate you being on the show.
Speaker 4: And we're going to see, hopefully we can get that group put on a chorial.
Speaker 6: Ladies on, We're going to take a.
Speaker 1: Hei everybody. That is our show for the sevement.
Speaker 4: But before we go, we're gonna check in with your host for the rest of this week.
Speaker 1: Does he light it?
Speaker 12: Does he? I?
Speaker 1: SA Let me see, what are you going to be covering for the people.
Speaker 14: Well, John, I'll tell you what I won't be covering.
Speaker 7: President Trump wasting government resources to check in on the gold at Fort Knox.
Speaker 14: What a nothing burger.
Speaker 7: I mean, there is no need to investigate or count it or do an inventory on Volt eighty four C.
Speaker 14: He's unhit and uninged.
Speaker 1: Bault eighty four cy eighty four.
Speaker 14: C A cop.
Speaker 7: No, just trust that all the gold is there, John, Every last.
Speaker 1: Bar was that the sund of a gold bar falling out of your part.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes it was, but I brought that gold bar from home.
Speaker 4: All right, deathly like everybody here, it is your moment of dead.
Speaker 6: We're also going to Fort Knox because we want to see if the gold is still there. Wouldn't that be terrible we open up this Fort Knox has got it's just solid granite that's five feet thick. The front door. You need six musclemen to open it up. I don't even think they have windows. Wouldn't that be terrible if we opened it up to a snow gold there? Hey?
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by search The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 2: Paramount Podcasts