Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode contains spoilers for a bunch of animated shows on Netflix. But it's really not that big deal, but we will spoil them slightly, mate.
Speaker 2: So you warned.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 4: And I'm Rosy Nike and welcome back to x ray Vision.
Speaker 1: The podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. We're coming to you from My Heart podcast, where we're bringing you to episodes a week every Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Anthors in today's Animation Month episode. In the previously on, we're gonna be talking about the return of the BoJack Horseman Team.
Speaker 1: Oh, everybody's favorite depressed actor horse.
Speaker 4: You know the best. He changed the game for Netflix. He's going to be coming up a lot today and they are the team is coming back with a new animation series.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: Also, we're going to our Edward and Bella are getting the animation treatment that is going to be extremely cursed. I'll tell you all about Midnight Sun and so are the Ghostbusters, which I think for people mine and Jason's age is probably a delight because our real Ghostbusters was like a big thing when we were kids. We love the Ghostbusters cartoon and in the airlock, we are going to be talking about what we watch on Netflix and how Netflix animation offerings are kind of changing the game, or looking at the impact of some of our favorites and how they've shaped what Netflix is doing. And in Who's Who, we're gonna give our rapid fire recommendations for what Netflix animation shows you should be watching.
Speaker 1: Up next news First up, BoJack Horseman team of Rafael, Bob Blacksburg, Tornante Company, Shadow Machine, etc. Reunite for Netflix animated series Long Story Short, which is slated debut in twenty twenty five. The BoJack team has a new project.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's about a family and kind of the shared history of a family over a long time, So that should be interesting, lots of depressing and I'm sure existential mining to be done from that. I'm very happy that Lisa Haniwal is the superviaing producer and she's going to design the original art for the series. She's an original BoJack person who also did Tukarimberti, which was completely brilliant, And Yeah, I think this is going to be great, and I think BoJack is one of those shows that changed the game for adult animation changed the game for Netflix and the way they approached animation, especially since it was nominated for Emmy's etc. And I think it made them realize there's a space for that with animation. So yeah, I'm excited. I think it will probably be very good. So that's another one for next year.
Speaker 1: Next up. I've been watching Terminator zero for the past couple of days on Netflix, but many have been watching it for much longer.
Speaker 5: Because I'm not Netflix on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Because all a significant amount of Netflix's animation offerings that are coming up in the future have been leaked online. That's pretty including upcoming seasons of Arcane out there, a Terminator zero season.
Speaker 3: And more.
Speaker 4: This is crazy, Yeah, Randmahalff, which I'm like, extremely excited for another remake of a classic Rumika taka Ashi anime. I have not pirated it obviously, not even with any hypothetical Say guys, I really didn't do it. This was a bad leak, dand Dan, which is a huge get for Netflix. The fact that leaked. Also the Plankton movie that's coming up, which is really wild because I feel like, did we even know that was happening so soon after the Sandy Cheeks movie. Yeah, Netflix basically told Variety and I quote one of our production partners has been compromised and footage from several of our titles has unfortunately leaked online. My understanding was it was a pretty bad leak, especially Arcane season two. Obviously, that's huge, That's probably one of the biggest releases Netflix has left. So yeah, not great stuff, very dramatic, and it does. Interestingly, they're saying that the partner in question is like a localization service provider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're They're a company that does the subtitles for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and make sure that they feel like you're reading something that makes sense rather than just kind of a basic translation. But yeah, you know, hard to feel bad for corporations, but I do feel bad for all the people who worked on these shows and if that is impacting them. But now terminated zeros out there. People seem to be watching it. We're gonna be talking about it, so obviously has not impacted the hype or the release that much.
Speaker 1: My friend Zach Tuscani, currently a touring comedian, used to do a very similar job doing the subtitles for television at a similar company out in the VA and but it was mostly just watching a lot of like Judge, Judy.
Speaker 4: Wild, right, it's you got to think about, like everyone gets subtitles. We were talking about this the other day because you know, comic book localization is also a thing where you release comics in different countries, and it's just so interesting to think about. For example, you know, in Europe, the Scrooge McDuck comics are still some of the biggest comics in the world, and they are all translated into different languages. So like, whose job is it to localize Scrooge McDuck because that is like so specific. But you know in like Holland, Scrooge McDuck is selling like hundreds of thousands of copies a month, like it it's just like wild. But yeah, Judge Judy, Scrooge McDuck, you could be localizing these things too if you are bilingual, the dreams you could achieve. Oh Baby, next.
Speaker 5: Time Midnight Sun, not Midnight Suns.
Speaker 1: Not Marvels Midnight Son, not Marvels Midnight Suns, but Twilight Midnight Sun.
Speaker 4: Baby I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Has landed at netflick.
Speaker 4: Okay. Twilight Midnight Son is a twenty twenty book that Stephanie Meyer wrote. Twilight author Stephanie Meyer released this novel in twenty twenty, and it retells Twilight from Edward's perspective. Now, this is not to be confused with.
Speaker 1: The book from about returning to her fanfic roots.
Speaker 4: Exactly this, And this is not to be confused with the hilarious book that she released like ten years before where she just switched the genders of the characters and called the male character Beaumont Color. It was just ridiculous, or Beaumont the other way around, but it was just very silly. No, this is Midnight Sun, which is a huge tome and it tells twilight from Edward's perspective. But if you were on the internet when this book came out in twenty twenty, which obviously also collided with Lockdown, you will likely have seen some of the most unhinged pages from this book because Edward is an insane, sociopath one hundred year old vampire. So one of the most famous scenes from this book is that when he first sees Bella in the very famous scene that I'm sure you've seen memed from the movies where he covers his nose and she thinks it's because she smells, but it's because she smells delicious. The book has like a ten page description of just like him committing a massacre in the classroom, of all the people he would kill so that he could get to Bella to drink her blood. It's absolutely deranged. Stephanie Meyer is a producer, and if you've read the annals of the Twilight movies, she was very, very controlling over those. But I'm hoping that alongside the writer that they have bought on for this, I'm hoping that they will be able to have a little bit of a of humor added to this because in my mind, I think it's going to be like an adult animation take that recognizes the outrageousness of the book.
Speaker 1: Now, see, that's the thing, because I'm not sure that Stephanie has ever really been plugged into the kind of secondary and lasting appeal of her works. You know, in the moment they hate, they were hits because they were it was a story that people were reading and people were excited for. But like the life that it has taken on since then, is influenced significantly by an awareness of how campy and shlocky and like absolutely bizarre. The films in particularly are and Meyer has ever seen particularly plugged into the camp side, like the the you know, the Rocky Horror Picture show exactly cull to aspect of her, the way her material is consumed by her fans.
Speaker 4: Maya is working alongside SHANEI Daily, who will executive produce and write the series, and she's worked on Tell Me Lies, The Walking Dead, well beyond Raised by Wolves and they get down. So I would say she is like a YA focus person, but she does have a lot of good credit and I'm hoping, like I feel that you have to have a sense of humor about this, and Lionsgate, you know, are very aware of the meme factor. They've started making the three Edward Moon t shirts. They have leaned into the meme mobility of it with their hot topic products which are now everywhere again like it's two thousand and eight, and I'm hoping that Stephanie is more aware of that ass then is open to it. I will also say I'm hoping that Stephanie has grown as a person, because it has become quite notorious that she would only allow the Cullens to be cast as white, even though Catherine Hardwick wanted to cast different people in the roles and stuff, so I'm hoping she's grown from there. But yes, I'm absolutely looking forward to this. And if you want some fun, just go on like your favorite social media of choice x Threads probably even has some Tumbler has a lot, and just look up Midnight Sun because you will not believe what happens in this book. It's absolutely awful and I personally cannot wait to watch it. Slash get hired to write on it. Shanaid Daily Netflix call me. I know too much about Twilight. I've done my time.
Speaker 1: Next up, Banana Nana nanat.
Speaker 5: Netflix has greenlit an animated.
Speaker 1: Ghostbusters series, which is first announced in twenty twenty two. In addition, Elliott Klin, former head writer at The Daily Show and a comic book writer in his own right, has boarded the project as a writer and EP. This is not the first Ghostbusters several Ghostbusters animated projects, including one that was only only like, very very slimly connected to the very famous Ghostbusters movies of the eighties and was very confusing for many children of the.
Speaker 5: Era why it did not resemble the Ghostbusters that they had seen in the movie theaters.
Speaker 1: But your thoughts on this new Netflix project.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great idea.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I think IP being reimagined in different forms is one of the most interesting ways to do it. I think Ghostbusters has always been apt for a great animated series. I think if this leans more into the there's toys they could go. I think it would make a great kids show, especially as every company is getting back into that idea of toyotic shows, like can you have a show that has its own toy line? Like one of the shows I'm going to talk about today Netflix is Camp Cretaceous that basically re invigorated the Jurassic Park toy market in shops like Target and stuff. So I think there's that version. But if you rewatch the original two Ghostbusters movies, which I love dearly as much as they have aged, they are very adult. They're this kind of interesting mix of like a fantasy comedy but with like a you know, an snl edge almost, And I think there's an interesting argument for a Ghostbusters show that leans into that. I wouldn't want it to go full Rick and Morty adult animation, but I do think it would be interesting.
Speaker 2: I was saying, I do.
Speaker 4: Think there's something interesting there, so it would be cool to see. I mean, Elliott Kaitlin has that duality because he did Daily Show, which is obviously like an adult political humor show, but he also wrote like Disney Villain's comics. So I feel that it could go either way. I would like to see it. I love ghosts. I love seeing a beautifully drawn animated creature. It's one of the joys of animation is you can make scary things look cool. So yeah, I think it will be fun. Will any of these shows come out? Who knows, It's impossible to know. When you talk about an announcement, You're like, will it come out? Well, that's Whylight show ever come out? I don't know, but I sure hope so, because the discourse will be deranged.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Coming up next, we're welcoming our round table and stepping out of the airlock to talk about Netflix animation. Bring them out. We're so delighted to be joined Rosie and I by producers Carmen and Jill Wells. Talk about some of the stuff that we are watching currently on Netflix in the animated space. Anybody want to start. I've been reaching. I've been watching Terminator zero, the recently leaked Terminator zero I'm about halfway you have to start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, biggest current animation hit for Netflix. Also very unique in that they went to a Japanese anime studio, Project IG, that had actually made you know, ghost in the Shell, like a lot of stuff, and then brought on an American writer, Matson Tomlin, who is a comic book writer who also reat Project Power for Netflix, who I think had some involvement in early drafts of The Batman. So it's a very unique project and I do feel like it presents something we haven't yet seen in the Terminator space.
Speaker 1: So here's the setup. The year is nineteen ninety seven, Uh, one of the great years in nineties history. Malcolm Lee is developing an AI named Cokeo, who he just keeps arguing with who is it? It's basically, WelCom you take some space from Cokeroo. Anyway, I'll get to that in a second. Uh. Who is who? He wants to create because he understands that, like, uh, there's this sky Net project happening in the States and they want to create something that will compete with that.
Speaker 5: And he begins wondering, hey, is this a good idea?
Speaker 1: For various reasons, including the fact that there are currently active Terminators uh plying the streets of Japan looking for him and his family in order to fucking wipe him out. Let's talk about it. I think this is I think the term as I texted to Rosie when I told her I was watching it. I love the Terminator ring, particularly early on. The Terminator ing is so pretty and fucking dark and great Malcolm arguing with Corcoro all the time. I could take her leave, But that does kind of it does the shifting and does become something that really drives the drama and just and the action as you get into the midpoint of the series where I am currently, it's great. It's a really easy watch and the cold open is like grabs you by the neck.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who anybody else watching this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: My brother put it on as like background and it made me put my phone down, which is astounding.
Speaker 2: I was like, what is happening?
Speaker 6: It was giving me almost and like cerebral and sort of in animation.
Speaker 2: Style, like perfect blue vibes, where.
Speaker 6: These they do these super high angles at times and its face like kind of cocks of the side. We're like, this is the most evil Terminator's truly terrifying in the if you're watching the English version, the cast is astounding. So Timothy Oliphant plays the Terminator.
Speaker 2: Which sweet baby Timothy face.
Speaker 1: He's so good it is face behind animation.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm like, let's do the live action Timothy Oliphant Terminator because that sounds great. I'm like, let's.
Speaker 6: Stay hell yeah, and Co was placed by Razzario Dawson, who's then arguing with Malcolm Lee, who is Andre Holland.
Speaker 2: So you too liked incredibly talented the actors doing these fights.
Speaker 6: So though they can sometimes be tedious, if you're like this, I'm a huge anime hast. I like when an anime is like here, here's a slice of life. Here's a very long conversation that you're not quite sure what it means, but by the end you'll be like, I understand the philosophical concepts we were setting up in this conversation. I saw sixteen hours ago. It's really it's a fun show. And what I was really impressed by was.
Speaker 2: The action sequences. The fights are fun as hell to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, common you are the only one who's like, finished it, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I actually I finished it last night. I you know, my boyfriend and I were on the sofa together and there was one more episode to go. It was like eleven o'clock and I was like, let's just fucking do it.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 3: I got to see how the shit ends exactly, because yeah, it really it does really continue to ratchet up like the you know, it starts out really slow, but then you start to see where it's like going and you get really excited to just keep watching. I did not watch. I am a little bit of a sub only nerd, so I watched the Japanese. I had no idea that that that we had a star senate American cast for the for the English. But I loved voice acting. I loved the animation and what I to echo kind of what Joel said about the action. And also Perfect Blue, which is like my favorite anime movie of all time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The me Saki character, which is another robot, really brings a fun She's not a terminator and she's not run by Skyna and she's not run by Cocoro. She is like her own robot with her own free will, but she brings like this. Her action scenes are like she's doing ballet.
Speaker 2: It's like absolutely.
Speaker 3: Very beautiful to watch.
Speaker 6: She's gonna ask the panel as Terminator fans, if you guys are Terminators had like a rough go of it the past two films. Yeah, yeah, I'm so sorry. I apologies to all of you to movies that were really a struggle.
Speaker 2: This show is excellent.
Speaker 6: How do you feel it places within the lore and what do you think it means for the future of the franchise.
Speaker 4: So I I do think that it is really good if you like Terminator. I also was lucky enough to I saw it at Netflix on like their screening room is like a crazy led screen, and the first time I watched it, I didn't have any subtitles. It was all in Japanese, and I felt like it captured you instantly. It was before I was in a whole mass and I still felt like it was just so engaging visually so beautiful. So what I will say is, I think the reason it's so good is because of the story Mattson decided to tell. Because when Netflix approached him, they said, oh, we want it because we're doing it with a Japanese studio that has to be at least like one Japanese character. And Matson was like, well, why don't we just set it in Japan? And I think the idea that is so appealing and that also broadens the world of Terminator is what does Judgment Day look like in different places? And I think that is really interesting and I think that could essentially become an anthology series throughout the world. What does Judgment Day look like here? What different countries were trying to make their own versions of Skynet or their versions to stop Skynett. That is an infinitely interesting thing that the American films have not really looked into outside of how does it impact this kind of western border state? And I do love I love the first two Terminator movies. I feel like this is more akin to Terminator Too, simply because of the family aspects, though it does not have as much of the ya kind of kids crossover that Terminator Too had because of John Connor and that incredible Edward Furlong performance. This is a little bit more dry, a little bit more serious, but also interestingly, one of the things that Mattson mentioned was that his biggest takeaway from the first Terminator movies that really impacted him was the fact that Terminator is really just this like romance story about like Kyle Reese, like looking at his photo of Sarah Connor being in love with her before he's even met her, And that's really the whole horror friend.
Speaker 1: Mom exactly like.
Speaker 7: And like and I think that I think that human har that kind of like beating funny, like weird in the intimate moments.
Speaker 4: That made the thing about the first term in a movie, a movie I watched so much is like, don done. How scary is it? Right? It's just people like it's just a guy like calling you being like, are you Sarah Connor? Like that kind of scary, intimate horror. This show does those small things well as well as doing the big things. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, when the show Terminator zero, it does start out really slow, and I was kind of annoyed, though they give you enough each episode that you're like, I, of course I'm gonna keep going, right, But it builds to a point that there's a not to spoil it too much, but there's a scene in which the resistant soldier Cho swings into action to protect Malcolm's kids, and it really made me think of the first true terminum movies, which are excellent because the terminating movies for me, they make you think about your own body. You know, you're fighting this thing that's like it can't be stopped. It's incessant. It looks like you, but it's not. It's indestructible, or when you damage it, it doesn't care half its face hanging off, and you think about what it would take to fight something like this. And there's a moment where I was just like giving up her body to let these kids escape.
Speaker 6: Or to.
Speaker 1: Give them a moment to help her defeat this thing, and it is it just so it was so resonant for me, Like she's just getting the shit beat out of her so that she can buy the kids like five seconds so they can defeat this thing. And that, to me is the essence of a Terminator story, like can you can you double down on your humanity and can you sacrifice it your own body in order to protect humanity like as a whole, as a species, And it was really resonant. I'll just say. Also as a fan of Terminator offerings, I thought Terminator Dark Fate was really good. Like if we lived, if we were back in the pre streaming blockbuster days, this would be a Friday night rental movie or that you'd be like that.
Speaker 5: Was that was good?
Speaker 1: I didn't go to see it in the theater. I'm glad I didn't go to see it in the theater. But you know what, like on a Friday night, this is a fun movie. Or it'd be a movie that you would see fifty times a month on Basic cable. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like Stars, Yeah, on Stars or something or tea.
Speaker 5: Yes, that you'd be like, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna lock in. I'm gonna lie. I came in the middle of this movie. I'm gonna lock it. I think the action is like really really cool and inventive and hyper violent in a way that is stylistically unique for the Terminator franchise.
Speaker 4: Also fantastic cost an.
Speaker 1: Awesome cast, including fucking Arnold back in action, and and a really cool setup in which the resistance hero that is sent back has been augmented in order to like physically fight the Terminator. Cool action scenes. You know, it takes place in Mexico, like diverse cast. It's just the Yeah, it looks it's just a I think I thought it was a cool movie. And like Fog Guy, which The Fog Guy, which I recently watched because it's now free on Peacock. There's this whole slew of movies, like a tier of movies that releasing the theaters. You hate it. But if we were back in the days where you just rented it from Red Box or Blockbuster or whatever on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday night, you'd be like, that was fun. I enjoyed that. Yeah, So Mander Darkfraight is that kind of movie, and Terminator Zero is akin to it.
Speaker 4: It's yeah. I think you make a great point, and I do think this is something that we have lost via streaming, not just as a literal stream of income for actors, because Matt Damon's talked about this quite a lot, how a lot of home video royalties would be how you made money on like a small indie drama that didn't make money but one awards, but also movies like and we're going to talk about the cartoon of this, but like Scott Pilgrim, that movie did not do well in the cinema, but it found its audience on home video. It became a perennial rental, a perennial purchase. It became a huge court hit in its own right, to the point where now we're getting this unbelievable anime adaptation of it, then even going old as something like True Romance, which is like you know, Tony Scott Quentin Tarantino script, in my opinion, his best work, and that movie is now seen as one of the greatest kind of Hollywood Roman answers of all time. Failed in the cinema, made a ton of money on home video, and I do think that you're right. I feel like The Fall Guy, which I really love and is like it's got like it's not a five out of five movie because there's a couple of things, but.
Speaker 1: It's like a it's like a three point two out of five, but.
Speaker 4: When the stunts are good, it's a five out of five movie, and the stunts are incredible. That's the kind of movie where if you had it on a VHS tape, you would be like rewinding just to watch the stunts, Like you would be watching the cannon roll the eight time, which by the way, won a world record just accidentally while doing it. But the cannon roll they do with the car, Like, there's just so many cool stunts. I think you're so right. There's that feeling of like you'd be rewinding back to watch the best parts, and you'd be like, oh, you know what, I could I'm a blockbuster. I could get something new. But wouldn't it be sick to just have that same feeling of watching something great. We definitely have lost something in that, and streaming can replicate it to a point, but it's not the same.
Speaker 1: What are you watching, Rosie on them?
Speaker 4: I I will see you as we just brought up I will bring up Scott Pilgrim. We do have a whole episode coming up, so if you want to hear me and Jason talk about it more extensively, please join us there and make sure to check it out. But yeah, I love this show. I think it's amazing. I think it's already been winning some awards. I think it's going to keep winning awards. It's so gorgeously animated. Again, they went to an actual animation studio that was already established to make this, and it's Brian Lee, O'Malley, it's Ben David Grivinsky. And it is a show that's like utterly in conversation with the last twenty years of fandom and in a way that I think is very interesting and also challenging. It's almost like an anti fan service show. But I am a fan and I loved it, and I just think it's some of there's a it's funny because it does have this deep, existential, brilliant writing kind of the idea of the death of the author and all this the death of you know, your favorite characters and stuff. But it also just has like a sick five minute Lucas Lee's skateboarding scene, Like that's what's good about it. It's like it's not like you can just watch it and be like, oh, this looks sick. And if you've never read or watched Scott Pilgrim, you will also probably really enjoy it. But if you have read or watched the film or read the original series, it is like so shocking at the end of the first episode, the choices they decide to make, and I just think it's something that has made the story as a whole and the franchise, if you can call it that, just so much stronger. Like I will tell everyone just watch that shows. And it's just also really cool and has like cool music and feels cool.
Speaker 1: Joelle, what are you watching?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I recently rewatched season one of Arcane because it's delicious. It's so good I love drama. I love all of the cosplay inspiration rampant.
Speaker 2: Throughout the series. I just realized, maybe.
Speaker 6: Stupid Lee that Elo Pernell plays Powder, and I was like, is this girl just gonna be everywhere and great all the time?
Speaker 2: Like, how is this happening? I love this series?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you a League person?
Speaker 2: Not at all, not even a little bit right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the character, But you know what I was always an appreciator of. I actually used to work in the building where they shoot the competitions in Bourbank. I was like, always like really like, I love seeing the character pictures go up and the designs, and I was like, man, this looks great. That's a game I should get into when while I have the time more funds to develop a new hobby, I don't know. When the show came out, I was like, oh, maybe this will be an accessible way to enter this space. And game players were like, it's really not at all like this kind of but not really, Like the storyline is a completely different level, but we also love it. And I think the ability to navigate both a very aggressive fandom and bring in people who could care less about the video game and satisfy both parties.
Speaker 1: They really crack insurmountable.
Speaker 2: Challenge and they nailed it. Yeah, Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 6: I can't wait for season two. We're gonna do a whole episode on season two and looking ahead and predictions, and we'll probably do a recap of season one.
Speaker 2: We won't talk about it too much.
Speaker 6: But man, I think our Kane was really impressive to me because it's the first sort of.
Speaker 2: In between ages space. Like they had a lot of success with.
Speaker 6: Katra and who thing about Sira, right, Shira? Yes, yes, so they had a ton of like all age success with like okay Shira, they love it. We got the powerful girls here. They've had a lot of success with like your BoJack Horsemen's. But this is a show, Like I mean, if you're you feel your the children in your life are mature enough, you could introduce them to this at TWN and it's accessible to them. But I also showed it to my mother and she was like this, this happened. It hits for everybody, and I think that's so rare.
Speaker 1: Now I think, like like BoJack is a kind of hinge point show for Netflix. Oh h huge hit in multiple countries, number, completely.
Speaker 4: Different style of animation. Two that we hadn't seen before.
Speaker 1: That's right, And to your point, Joelle did the thing that I think every game studio is hoping to do when they have one of their properties adapted, which is satisfy the fans of the franchise that know all about all these different characters and have been playing the game for years and bring in a bunch of people who have no idea what the first is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have seen the first I know. I have seen the first episode of season two, not illegally. Not illegally, I go to watch it at Netflix on the same day when I watched the first episode of Terminator zero and the first episode of Twilight of the Gods and the first episode of Tourmraiatea the Legend of Laura Croft.
Speaker 2: She's blessed.
Speaker 4: I was very blessed. I was very lucky me and Nick got to go in there and watch them together. But the first episode of Ourcane season two is unbelievable, and it keeps up everything that you want it to keep up. So if you're excited, be excited. It's unreal. It was so great to see it on a big screen. I think we've been seeing in La recently a lot of They've been doing full season screenings to FYC. They just did a full season screening of X Men ninety seven The Arrow, which people absolutely loved. We've been seeing some live action ones too. I would love to see Netflix team up with a rep cinema like that and do an arcane full marathon of the first season because I think, Netflix, yeah, if you want us to it, we can host it. I mean, get Joe, We'll We'll do it. We'll host it. Like yes, I think that seeing it on the big screen just it just cemented to me how fantastic that animation is. Like, the storytelling's brilliant, the music, drops are still there, everything you still want. But to see that animation on a screen like that and just it is truly I feel like it's groundbreaking. When it first came out, me and Jason and Zig were talking a lot about how it felt like Spider Verse level, Like it really does feel like you're seeing a different vision for what animation could be. And yeah, I'm I'm really excited for everyone to see season two.
Speaker 1: Carmen, what are you watching?
Speaker 3: I want to talk about Sailor Moon Cosmos and I do have a silly word after if we have time. I have another silly recommendation that I don't have as much to say about too, but Sailor Moon Cosmos just came out recently on Netflix and it has been absolutely amazing. It's a two part basically, it's basically two movies. It's like three hours of total if you were to watch the whole thing, and this is the final arc of the Sailor Moon story essentially. It was never aired originally in the US, which is because of the trans themes that are kind of in the season. The US was like, we're not doing that in the nineties, so they said.
Speaker 4: They were we can't just say their cousins, which is what they used to do about the lesbians.
Speaker 3: Of course, right, yes, they used to do that about the lesbians, but now we have literal boys transforming into girls through a magical girl transformation, and there's no way you can turn that into something more conservative. So it never aired in the US, and I'm really glad to see that this has gotten the same treatment as Sailormon Crystal, which I know some people didn't like Salomon Crystal. Personally, I loved Sailorman Crystal.
Speaker 4: Because I really stuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's stuck to the original manga storyline. If you've read the manga, it's literally the only manga I've ever read, so I know that that's like exactly like the story follows it to a tea, and it really pays homage to Naoko Takuci's original art style, and she is one of the most amazing artists and makes these beautiful, like fashion drawings. Everything she draws is like inspired by fashion magazines and like all of this stuff. So Sailorman Cosmos is really fun because it's also the first season where we don't have Tuxedo Mask or Mamaru. He has gone to the US for college, and so now when the girls are in trouble, they have the Sailor Stars come in and kind of save the day for them, which is very fun. So it has this whole kind of like ury kind of like vibe to it because of the girls are all in love with these boys that actually are turn out to be girls, So it has this whole like kind of vibe to it that's really fun. And basically they have to fight off all of the Sailor Scouts have to do their final fight and protect their crystals from being stolen by Sailor Galaxia, and she has all these amazing hinchmen that they have to fight off. It's very kind of like formulaic in that same style of like we're going to go through all these henchmen and then you've got the final boss fight with Sailor Galaxia.
Speaker 4: I I wrote an article about it IGN because I actually felt like it was I felt like it was quite profound, not only because the trans stuff is just done. They're like, here's a sexy boy group and then they transform into the sexiest, sluttiest Sailor Scout outfits you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yes, they look like.
Speaker 4: The outfits were causing quite a stir at San Diego Comic Con because they had a big poster of them and everyone was like, wait a minute, who are these like Sailor Scouts in their underwear? But the thing that I thought was really cool about it is it it decides that it's gonna try and answer the ultimate superhero question, right, which is like who came first Batman or the Joker? Like does the Joker exist without Batman? Does Batman exist without the Joker? That kind of question, And it gives this definitive answer, which is basically like, yes, if you are a superhero and you keep showing up and doing your magical girl transformation and being like I want to save the world, then people are gonna come and try and stop you. And that and Sailor, you know, Ysagi, Sala Moon, she has to make this decision to essentially not fight anymore and to give up, you know, her her place as Sala Moon, to allow the Cosmos to come into you know, peace and harmony. And I found it very profound, and I like anything where it's like, let's choose love over fighting. And also if you I would say that if you do, like if you do like Tuxedo Mask, which like who are you? I don't think anyone fights, but I will say do stay for the ending, because you do get some You do get some like Sailor Moon, black Mark, Tuxedo Mask, Mamory like what happens in the future. But yeah, oh yeah, yeah, it's really really good. It's like delightful and I think you yeah, I just think ten out of ten. It is what as we would say old people would say, it's an OVA and original video animation, So you're really getting that. This feels like the kind of thing that you would go to Blockbuster, you would rent it, and you'd think you'd rent it all of it, but you only rented the first half, and then you'd be like super piste off and you'd go back in the second half, where where's the But yeah, Also, the animation of all of these, from Crystal Yes to Cosmos is like unbelievable. Yeah, I'm so glad you brought this up common thank you me too.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, I I have like such a sailor moon was so vibes for me until I went to summer camp. I was one of the kids who was like always like hanging out with the camp counselors, like I don't know, I can relate, Yeah, what's happening over here. And so one of my camp counselors was this dude I don't remember his name, sorry, bro. He had like ginger hair and he had a sailor moon chair on and.
Speaker 2: In my.
Speaker 6: Youthful days when I was not as educated as I was like, sailor moon is for girls, and he turned around he was like, Sailor Moon is for everybody. And I always had my I always had my teen.
Speaker 2: Vogues with me.
Speaker 6: He was like you know, the artists like really into fashion. And I was like, like, do you like the outfits? And he was like he was pointing out. He was like, so like this is the dressers from I was like, oh my gosh, is the teaching me all about Sailor Moon? And ever since then, every time I checked out of Sailor Moo, I'm like, let's go with these costumes in the fashion and the fact that she was copying looks out of.
Speaker 2: Her character.
Speaker 4: She was directly put them in. It was great.
Speaker 6: What I assume is an engagement ring, maybe a promised ring in the series that is so Warders. I was like, commission it immediately. It's like heart's covered in pearls.
Speaker 2: It's that god in't.
Speaker 4: I was in like to oh to Luca Lake because I'd been at one of the studios. I'd been at Warner Brothers and uh, and I literally went into like a boutique because they have all these crazy like boutiques where you can always find weird old granny clothes that look cool. And they had a ring that looked so much like Glinn a ring from this series that I just boy it. It was like five dollars and like and it's like I've got a big poll and it's got all the little diamonds around it. But yes, I feel you deeply.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that absolutely to see.
Speaker 4: And actually some of our Discord members were like talking about whether they should watch it or not, so I've been in there selling it. So yeah, I would just say, even if you've never actually watched any other sale Moon, watch this. Also, you'll say, if you want to watch all of Salo Moon, it is on Hulu, so you can watch all the original Salo Moon on Hulu, which is definitely one of my most rewatched animations.
Speaker 2: Dubbed or some all that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was just gonna say with Naoko tech Cheese, like all right, it's like, if you like the way it looks, you're gonna like the because everything is really just about like the aesthetic and the vibe and all of that, and of course the sor is great and fun, but it's really just like I'm there for the for the vibes, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Rosie, you wanted to talk about Jurassic Park Camp Cretaceous.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I just want to say I think this show is absolutely delightful. I would say, I think this is another touch point show for Netflix because it's actually been running for such a long time. It was a collaboration with DreamWorks, which has obviously gone on to be very successful for them. They have Boss Baby, they have different animated shows. Camp Cretaceous is set in It's set at the same time and in the lead up to the first events of the Jurassic World movie. If you don't like those movies, if you haven't watched those movies, if you don't like Chris Pratt, that's fine. He's not involved kids. It's like some kids and they are on the island at a summer camp for teens who love dinosaurs, right, And there's kids who are there because their families are rich. There's kids who are there but because they're influencers. There's kids who are there just because they love dinosaurs. And then of course, low and behold, it's Strassic Park story. They should never have had a kid summer camp there. The park falls apart, and the kids missed the last boat off the island, so they're just left on island ubler and there is no joke, no adults, and it's so fun and no joke. There is like a moment in the first season where I literally had to pause it because it was so suspenseful and fantastic, where the kids are kayaking and they're like finally, like we're gonna get away, and they pull out and you realize that they're in the Mossasaurus kind of pen and you see the shadow closure. Yeah, And they do a really really good job of doing stuff like that. And the show has now been on for so long that the characters you've grown up with them. There's great representation with these characters. It's a brilliant cast. There's a fantastic queer romance at the heart of the show. It has a lot of suspense, a lot of high stakes. And now they actually have a show called Chaos Theory that is set five years after the end of the show, where the kids are more like young adults and kind of looking at that space.
Speaker 2: This show grows with its eyes.
Speaker 4: I just look. I think this is kind of like a Star Wars Rebels situation where if you are of our age and you watch something, you might be like, oh, I'm not sure if I like this CG animation, Like what does this look like? Do I like the character designs? I would just say pushed through like, this is legit some of the best, most criton esque Jurassic Park storytelling that we've had for a really long time. And I do just think, like I rewatch some of these episodes and they're scary, they're spooky. The last season before Chaos Theory is like an insanely high concept sci fi story, and I really think it's like keeping the passion and power of Racic Park alive. Even when look, I like every Jurassic World movie, I'm a sucker for a dinosaur. I decided I can't. I'm sorry, it's it's just my it's my my vice is like bad dinosaur movies. But this show is actually keeping the quality of the Jurassic Park slash World franchise alive. And I think it is so incredible that it's been on for like five or six years, because also we know shows don't last that long a Netflix, So to me, I just I just think it and it's such a great binge watch, Like if you want to watch something it's yeah, I'm a huge fan. That's a that's a big one for me in the that could also I think fly under the radar for a lot of genre fans for a lot of adults. But it really is just so good. And if you like Jurassic Park, it's also like full of you know, the world building, the space that it's setting. You could say it's full of Easter eggs, but I think it's more like it's just so immersively in that world that you will enjoy discovering those things. Is there anything else you've been enjoying on Netflix?
Speaker 1: From the animations here, I've been I have in my up necks and have for a long time. The Castlevania show.
Speaker 6: Yes, what is it called, the newest one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever it's called, because I like horror Ship and I was as a child, was a huge fan of Castlevania, the video games. Something hot vampires that yeah, vampires.
Speaker 4: That's like one of the funniest names of all time. It's it makes me so happy.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what else makes me happy? It makes us happy.
Speaker 5: Here is paying the bills, come.
Speaker 1: Back after a message boom from our smalls, And now we're going to give you our sixty second Netflix animation recommendations. Carmen, let's start with you.
Speaker 3: My quick wreck for y'all is it's a silly one, but through my rome, I want everyone to watch it. It is such a fun just kind of you can just like put it on and not worry about it. But it's about a guy in ancient Greece or ancient Rome, whichever, ancient Rome, and he gets into the bathtub and is teleported to modern day on sen culture Japan. So he goes back to Rome with his what he learned from modern day Japan's baiting culture and like adapts those into the Roman bathhouses. It's very ful, yes, And each episode ends with the actual writer herself and the woman who made the manga, she visits an onsen, an actual onsen in Japan. So it's a little bit of like a horror cultural Yeah, it's a little bit of that. It's just silly bath house anime.
Speaker 4: I will also say if we're doing quick ones, and I will say I do think that Netflix's anime selection is really incredible. And they have a show called Kataro Lives Alone. There is legit one of the most heartbreaking, fantastic dramatic shows I've watched in years. It's about and the setup is silly, right, kind of like what you said with yours comment is like the setup is about a four year old kid who lives by himself, and he moves into this building like an apartment building, and then it's kind of about how like the cranky guy and the woman who works at the maid Cafe and all this stuff, they kind of have to come together to help this little kid, but they what could just be a silly setup, they actually used to explore, like why would a kid live by themselves? And what is it like to kind of try and make your way in the world when your parents are not good parents? And it is so good, Like that's one of those shows where I watched that, and I watched Ranking of Kings, which is on crunchy roll and is also amazing at the same time, and I was just like, Wow, I love my small anime sons, like I would die for them. But yeah, Katara Lives Alone is so good. And I think Netflix really went out of their way to get more interesting, eclectic anime offerings, and that's definitely one of them.
Speaker 1: Here, I'll do a sixty second one. Scavenger's Rain recently on recently on HBO Max, now streaming on Netflix. It is a sci fi animated series about a group of survivors of a ship who are stranded on an alien planet and start experiencing strange things because of this weird and hostile ecosystem that the planet has.
Speaker 3: Oscar looking it is.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. It reminds me. The vibes are so mysterious. It reminds me a lot of I don't know if anybody has seen the Russian film Solaris or the adapt the George Colony adaptation from some years ago, but it's that kind of spooky kind of like I can't trust my mind kind of storytelling. The visuals are beautiful and striking and so inventive, like as they start delving into the way this planet it's natural ecosystem works and the way it uh it's affecting these people, the way they visualize that is just so fucking compelling and good. And it was an incredibly underrated show, Like I remember what. I just saw it because it was in my tiles, like my HBO tiles, my Max tiles, and I was like, oh, this looks kind of fun. I'll put this on, and I didn't realize it was a current show that was like yeah, and that was like coming out. There's like no promo and it's great. You can watch it now on Netflix it's awesome.
Speaker 4: Gave that just like one of the best shows given out a lot right, one of the shows of the year.
Speaker 1: Joelle, you're you're a quick your quick link?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, So my quick sixty second is an anime called Pluto, which is based off a legendary manga which I have not read, but fans have been like, this is a great adaptation, So we're gonna trust the fans on that. If you like Terminator Zero, if you wind up checking that out and you're enjoying it, your next click should be Pluto. It's about these like automatons. There's like eight great ones throughout the world, and they're all sort of legendary and the regions they come from, and then someone starts killing them off, and you're following the story with a detective who is one of the great eight who's trying to solve it. It gets into some really interesting, like heady concepts. I was really intrigued by the idea of, like what happens if you have a body that people don't expect matches your personality or.
Speaker 2: What they expect you to do.
Speaker 6: I really like that it sort of runs throughout. I was also really intrigued by your typical AI robot stories of like what is it to be alive? And who gets to have rights and things like that. It's beautifully animated with some great action sequences, and the mystery is gripping. Like from Jump, you are actively engaged in trying to solve this mystery. They give you so many who could like red Herrings and who done it, and they're all feel so viable. It makes you nervous and excited. It's a great series. Check out Pluto.
Speaker 4: It's a quick watch based on hersaad like a famous manga that basically we in tup Prits astro Boy. But and it's like, I'm just this. This is like an adaptation people have been waiting for for years and Yeah, from everything I've heard, it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: On Thursday's episode, we'll be opening up a time capsule all about Scott Pilgrim on Netflix, and Friday, we're back in Middle Earth to discuss episode seven of Rings of Power season two. That's all for this episode.
Speaker 5: Bye Bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kensepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart podcasts Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude, Kenny Goodman and Heidi A disco moderata