Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to You, and That's what you Really missed podcast? Can you Believe It? We are here? Season four, episode twenty two, the.
Speaker 2: Last episode twenty two of Glee.
Speaker 1: All or Nothing, All or Nothing?
Speaker 2: Jacob famously on set or Nothing.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you remember that.
Speaker 2: That's how I remember the song. I'm like, is that the song that it came on? It's just had Jacob's voice impersonating you, going, oh nothing.
Speaker 1: We love to do impressions with me and they were very funny. Okay. This aired on May ninth, twenty thirteen. We had serious senioritis. The number one song was Just Give Me a Reason by Pink featuring neighbor Bruce.
Speaker 2: The number one movie starring Glee's very own Gwyneth Paltrow was Iron Man three, and that movie really was starring Gwyneth Paltrow. Did you see it, Jenna?
Speaker 1: I did see it. It's a marvel Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 2: There we go the Glee news this week. On May thirteenth, Fox announced Glee Season five as part of their twenty thirteen twenty fourteen Fall in Spring programming at Upfronts in New York. You Me, Chris, Darren, Leah, Jane Matt represented the show and attended the first ever Fox fan fronts. And also we had found out that was it announced. It must have been announced at this point. I think that Demi was joining the show because we have pictures with her.
Speaker 1: I just watched Demi's film that she directed, Child Star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good, proud of her. It looks great. I haven't seen it yet, very very good. My mom was My mom watched it. She texted me.
Speaker 1: Revealing and good and she did a really good job. Anyway, Yes, we were very excited for tempt me to join this. We talked about last last recap. Also was around the time May fourteenth, I released my one and only book, Choosing Glee Ten Rules to Find the Inspiration, Happiness and the Real You.
Speaker 2: How was that experience for you?
Speaker 1: It was fine. I'm glad I did it. It was really hard while you're filming a TV show. But I mean, like, I'm not writing Chris's novels, so you know, it.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing, Like how does he do that? How did he do that?
Speaker 1: He's brilliant, He's actually brilliant.
Speaker 2: There was a weird thing going on at that time where all of us were approached to write books, and most of them they wanted to Tiye and glee somehow, and they got me, and they wanted like almost to be like memoirs. And we were all so young, like we haven't done anything yet.
Speaker 1: Even at this point, I'm like, I wouldn't write a memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about We were all approached and I just I thought, you' found a really clever way to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks. The cover of my book was supposed to be me with like my mouth wide open. That's what the publishers had picked initially, like surprise, kind of like very excited face because people love that face I made. And I was like, you guys, it really lends for people to graffiti and draw and do put on it. I was like, please don't do that to me. So I got them to just a smiling photo instead.
Speaker 2: Do you remember high school?
Speaker 1: Exactly? In high school, basically I was thinking about the muckraker or whatever that out of your book.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 1: And we talked about this last week as well. On May sixteenth, a bunch of us went Alex Ashley Fink Chris Darren. We all went to go see Jane's opening night as miss Hannigan. That's unfair in Annie at the Palace Theater and then the party after at Ruby Foos, which we loved, but also that's very unfair to go to her opening. I would never have done that to somebody else, because I would pray that nobody would ever do that to me.
Speaker 2: Oh but she was fantastic. Yeah, exactly, it didn't matter all right.
Speaker 1: This was directed by the one and only Brad Beeker because it's a competition episode and it's chaotic.
Speaker 2: It really is chaotic, and I feel like it is representative of this season.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, you took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: Because while we both enjoyed this season, Yes, it did feel like disjointed, very disjointed in some like the fact that the breakup was this season is crazy to me. It feels like it was a different season.
Speaker 1: Well, glease right, yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: And at some point it also feels like it became a different show, a show I still enjoyed, but felt tonally different.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, I mean there was a new cast, there was a whole new location.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. This episode had a lot of guest stars, a lot of music. We had to Love You Moore performed by Rachel Rainbow, Connection by the Waffle.
Speaker 1: Tuts I'm of the Waffle Tutes. Clarity one of my favorite songs by Zad Wings, We Love Little Mix by Hoo's Your Daddies. Sorry, those are both performed by the Hoosier Daddies.
Speaker 2: I think hoos your Daddy's is one of the better names as well.
Speaker 1: And they were very good.
Speaker 2: They were very good, like actually I spied with my little big eye actually that there was some secret vocal journal and dancers in there.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely they We were at that point whether they like just throwing them in there, nobody.
Speaker 2: Wills, yes, I mean shared was like my old friend who I've known longer than I've known you. He was like front and center, and I was like, you've already been on this show.
Speaker 1: We also have the New Directions performed Hall of Fame. I love it, and then also the Marley's original All or Nothing.
Speaker 2: I do enjoy that we got to have a Charlie XCX song in this era of Brown She's bigger than ever.
Speaker 1: It didn't I will say though, it didn't pop the way it should have popped and the way I remember it, No, I have that, but because I also think it's a perfect song for like you guys to perform, and it just didn't hit the way I was hoping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me, I'd like a redo.
Speaker 1: I would love a redoo. Okay, Uh, there's a bunch and bunch a bunch of fun facts. So let's get through these and then let's get to the episode. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this episode.
Speaker 2: Fun facts are my favorite part of our recaps. I love the fun facts. So this is the ninth time that the episode is named after a song that has sung in it, the others being Home dreamond Silly Love Songs. Blame it on the alcohol Born this Way, I Kissed a Girl, Extraordinary Merry Christmas, and Diva if you're keeping track.
Speaker 1: This is the second time that an episode is named after an original song, the first being Extraordinary Merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: Wimma Will and Emma's ship name is mentioned for the first time in the series, and I also think a couple times in this we are getting meta and referencing what fans are saying about the show totally.
Speaker 1: This is the first season finale where Will Schuster does not sing. And this is the only finale where Mercedes and Kurt do not sing.
Speaker 2: O the times era change in this is the only finale where Marley is present. Interesting, And this is the first season finale where Finn, Quinn, and Puck are absent.
Speaker 1: Wow. This is also the first season finale where Finn and Puck do not sing it all as well.
Speaker 2: Jan and Liz were rumored to return in season five for a potential Blain storyline, but ultimately the claim proposal was brought forward instead.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Do you think that happens because like, you don't know the future of the show, so like there's certain things you want to make sure to get.
Speaker 1: In you mean bringing them pulling it up? Yeah, well also because of Corey, I feel like things were pulled up, things that they had planned for later were like, let's just do it now. Yeah, because I think the proposal happens in season five, episode one, happens act quickly, I think, so, if I'm correct, we can revisit this later. But yes, I believe that it's when we're all there for the Beatles Love Love Love song.
Speaker 2: So they really brought that up.
Speaker 1: That makes yes, yeah, this is the last episode where Brittany, Mercedes and Mike appears me characters. That's crazy. I hate that.
Speaker 2: However, Mercedes was promoted again in season six and those are like me.
Speaker 1: This is the last episode to credit Corey Monteeth as a series regular.
Speaker 2: Sadly, this is the last episode to credit Alex Snool, Jacob Artist, Melissa ba Nois Blake Jenner, and Becketobin as guest stars. In season five, they become series regulars.
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't think I remember that.
Speaker 2: It was around this time where we had that conversation like the final episode or two, where they told us how much they were making really.
Speaker 1: Right right as guest stars.
Speaker 2: Right, let's fix that.
Speaker 1: This is the second time a season ends with a regionals competition, the first being season one.
Speaker 2: And this episode marks the last time Joe sings in the series travesty, such a beautiful voice.
Speaker 1: Oh in This episode marks the last episode of Sugar and Joe until a wedding and the rise and Fobs who Sylvester in season six? That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't believe.
Speaker 1: I don't my memory doesn't. I mean, because we were hanging out, we were very close with Vanessa obviously we love Sam, but we hung out with Vanessa quite a bit, and I feel like we saw her throughout the entire rest of the series and she joined and so it didn't feel like she was gone. But that's a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we had to completely blurred the lines of work and friendship. Yeah, yeah, so we didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vanessa was like a really big part of my life in this season actually, like in the outside world, she was.
Speaker 2: Also somebody and the things that we were going through. Personally, Vanessa is like the good witch, Like she is always there for you, has great advice. I mean, if you listen to the episodes that she was on of this podcast, do you hear how introspective and wise she is, And so like, as a friend, that's what she has all the time. And so yeah, she was deeply ingrained into our friend group. She's vital. Kurt is the only person in the show circle that Brittany doesn't mention or address when comparing everyone to family members. Let's start that rumor Kurt and Brittany hated each other.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. At first, I was like, Oh, she's not going to mention everybody, and then she does and I was like, okay, few. I thought she was going to be like, you guys are my sisters, and then Meg that was it and you're like whoa. This episode was submitted for consideration of Patty Duke for the twenty thirteen Emmys, as it.
Speaker 2: Should have been. This is the first season finale not to be directed or written by co creator b Foul Brad Foulchuck.
Speaker 3: Wow, crazy, Okay, give me the.
Speaker 1: Episode summary, Kevin, are you ready? I'm very ready.
Speaker 2: It's finally time for regionals and the glee club is more determined than ever to advance to nationals. Brittany returned from her mit trip with a new attitude. Attitude is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, and writer finally has a lead on who's catfishing him.
Speaker 1: Hmm okay, I like that summary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually correct.
Speaker 1: Is this The only time we see Rachel was when she sings her song for a callback? And that's it? I think, so yeah, so funny.
Speaker 2: Look I give me a Rachel singing Selene any day.
Speaker 1: Also, I have to shout out to the fact that she has a full band at a callback. I was like, no, they're not doing that, but like, obviously the music production has to match so that you were like, yeah, added in, But I thought it was really funny.
Speaker 2: Now would break down happen? Yeah, what the accompaniment would be for a real callback for a Broadway audition?
Speaker 1: Just a pianist, Just a pianist. Yeah, you're not kidding, unless they were like come to the theater. Even then, I sang with a piano, like for a Spring Awakening. I went to the theater between shows and I did my final callback for producers.
Speaker 2: That's got to be intimidating.
Speaker 1: It was I read with Remy who was already in the show. She was literally going to lunch, like with her backpack on, and we were like reading lines and it was just the producer. It was just Tumholtz at the time and maybe Ira, But yeah, it was very intimidating. But I sat on the stage and did my final call back. But even then, you like, you have to pay musicians then, so there's no world in which you're getting any kind of music the same as Glee. It was like just a pianist.
Speaker 2: I do wish we we've seen her now audition for this twice. I do wish we would get a scene like I do wish we'd see the acting, because it's not just showing up and singing.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: You would also be doing some scenes.
Speaker 1: Right, and I would love to see her do Barbara or do Funny Girl.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Yeah, I would have liked to have seen that. But I also feel like, as I mean, this is her voice is perfect for this. It's like the match made in heaven. However, because it is sort of so out of like left field, it's just there's nothing special about like, there's no meaning behind me a moment. Yeah, there's no meaning, there's no story, Like it was sort of weird to sort of like watch it go by. I would almost have preferred if she had done something.
Speaker 1: From front of Girl at that point. Yeah, So this kind of goes along with sorry, like we rushed I rushed ahead to Rachel into the episode itself, but like as a whole, I'm curious to hear your thoughts because as a finale for a season, and maybe this is also partially because they had to scramble because Corey was no longer in the show at this point. He was off and gone for a couple of episodes already. Maybe they had another plan, but like this episode and its entirey felt rushed to me, like and kind of like, let's just tie everything up and then like we're just that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Usually there's some sort of like cliffhanger or it's like everything was tied up so neatly that.
Speaker 1: And and I don't mean to poop pool on this this this Regionals, but it wasn't. It was not my favorite Regionals. I mean it was by far my probably one of my least favorite. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think because there was so much going on and that I really enjoyed everything else going on. I really like, I enjoyed seeing Rachel do her callback, I enjoyed all the Britney stuff. I enjoyed seeing all the kids. Oh, the Blain storyline love, like my favorite Blaine storyline. Yeah, And I it's weird to me because I normally love of the competition totally totally, and it sort of felt like an afterthought like, oh, yeah, we have to squeeze that in at the end of this yeah, now is what that felt like. So like that was a little bit of a bummer. But I also think there's some huge like highlights in this episode, and so I think the focus of a lot of the other competition episodes were the competition itself.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of our favorites. Let's just start with our favorite storylines because there's a few that we really have to hit. Obviously, Regionals is going to happen, and we we end up winning because we're going to move forward next to you, right, so great, We're we put that aside. Regionals is done. It's all this stuff leading up to Regionals that's interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Britney Brittany as Pierce, Heather.
Speaker 2: Morris pregnant Heather.
Speaker 1: Moris pregnant Heather Mars some of her best work in this episode truly. Also, I mean, it's so such a departure from like normal Brittany to see her acting like out like this. Like if you watched, if you saw how they're acting out like this, you'd be like, what's wrong? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is she okay? We need to check in with her? And I felt like that was like the Brittany, You're like, whoa, what's going on? And then we obviously see there's a lot of emotion behind her. Is she's leaving?
Speaker 2: What I like about that is the other time she acted out was at the beginning of the season when she didn't have Santana and people were worried, and she I liked the consistency. You know, the shows can go all over the place, the consistency of when Brittany is not in a mentally well place, she acts out in a very specific way. Yeah, and it takes the group of friends to like sort of rein her in and be like, hey, hey, hey, let's check in what's going on? And I thought that was so nice. But so the scene where she's at MIT and.
Speaker 1: Scored zero and she.
Speaker 2: Scored zero, but like, but.
Speaker 1: This piece of paper, whoever drew that and doodled that is actually I want to frame it and put it in my house, like somebody. I don't know. I don't know. It's so good. She has these like numbers and doodles on the back of her test that she had to like get out of her brain. And then they find that it's actually a prime. It's a prime number, right, is what they said.
Speaker 2: That was one of the things every corner represented, some other brilliant mathematic empression.
Speaker 1: And they found that she's a genius, and she's one of the most brilliant minds since Einstein, and so she's getting she's been offered early admission to MIT. So Brittany is leaving, and I think we're going to talk to Heather, so stay tuned at some point to talk about this whole thing, because she was pregnant and I think that obviously this was her out to go take care of her baby for a while. And I don't I don't remember like if she was if she was like leaving the show, because it felt so final in this episode.
Speaker 2: It really did, and it felt like I just don't remember, like she was working crazy hours and it's like, how are you doing this when you're growing a human?
Speaker 4: Like it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am very interested to find out like what her dialogue was with with the creative team, because like what the future was and what she knew or didn't know.
Speaker 1: Right And obviously we get her back later, but I don't know how long her leave is or was. But if we're just looking at right now, like in this episode, like it feels like Brittany is leaving the show, or how there's leaving.
Speaker 2: The show, so we get like the greatest hits of Brittany moments in this We get the hilarity of the MIT stuff and then her storming into the choir room, going out like, I also love this does not ever happen where the scene in the choir room is already happening. We see them in the background. We hear it in the background, he's saying what songs are going to be doing at regionals? But we're following. We meet Brittany in the hallway and follow her into her disruption of the class, which I really loved. It was a whole different energy. And she storms in there. She's like, no, I'm not having any of this. It's me. You're putting me in I'm number one, And everyone's like, what is happening?
Speaker 1: She says Blaine is shorter than his the average lawn gnome, and Joe looks like a Yucatan spider monkey. I was like, whoa.
Speaker 2: I remember filming this because I remember Heather coming in and just having so much dialogue and just smashing.
Speaker 1: It, smashing it also pregnant pregnancy brain. Don't know how she did that. I can't.
Speaker 2: Well, were, yeah, there's a superhero.
Speaker 1: Yeah she is. No, No, truly she really is. Yeah. I love this side of Heather, of this side of Brittany, like the diva likes outspoken brazen Brittany. It's so much fun to.
Speaker 2: Watch part of this other Britney Greatest hits parade. We get more fon Du for two, God bless, we get in a miracle Will and Sue. Sue somehow back at the school also have a bit of an intervention or have an intervention with Brittany because there's another one coming, and they say we need to talk what's going on or worried about you? And she says, well, the conditions are and we cut to von du for two and it is so good and chaotic, and she presents her evidence as to why she knows who Sue's.
Speaker 1: Baby daddy is being Michael Walton.
Speaker 2: Michael wo and pulls open a folder like she was tracking a serial killer.
Speaker 1: It's really funny, as some of my favorite Glee writing is Bondu for two.
Speaker 2: No, just that concept of here's the storyline going on. We're sort of worried about this character, but she's also like being funny. And then we get these two characters in a new place on fon Du for two, and then we just switched to She's giving you this insane story. It's reference that we don't know who's who's baby Daddy is and actually someone's figured it out and it's Brittany, Like, I don't know how we got from A to B. Yes, but I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm here for it. You're so right. It just it comes out of left field, but like, we buy it, right, that's.
Speaker 2: The comedy I'm looking for. You know, with all this debate if the Bear is a comedy or drama because he keeps winning all the comedy awards right right right, there was a time for us after the first season because we always we had a lot of dramatic moments, and the show took on this whole new meaning for people and representing these disenfranchised and often overlooked communities, and so it wasn't just a comedy. And I remember feeling weird going to these award shows and like, are we a drama dy or more drama? And so whenever we get these ridiculous, hilarious things, and often on this rewatch, I'm reminded of like, oh no, the show really was like.
Speaker 1: Fifty to fifty comedy bear more justified in that question, I think.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that's what I'm like. It has reframed how I see our show totally because it is yes, and it's the opposite where it's like, because we were an hour long, we should have been classified as a drama because comedies aren't an hour long, but somehow we got comedy. And the Bear is sort of the opposite where just because it's a half hour doesn't mean it should be a comedy totally anyway, I'm getting distracted.
Speaker 1: I agree with you though, it is great comedy, very good point, very good comedy. And then to that point, on the other side of that point, we get more drama because Brittany then gives gives us a very dramatic and emotional speech.
Speaker 4: Wait, and when Sam calls Santana, Oh yeah, it is so sweet. It was one of my favorite moments of the episode because very sweet. I also love how it shot where Sam's like hiding in this like little nook of the hallway. It felt just different. It felt like, oh, we're seeing the hallway in a different way, like Brad Beaker was really sort of flexing the editor and yeah, like how can we make this feel just a little more interesting and getting Santana in there also like her changing getting out the door, and this like beautiful shot of Naya this close up profile shot of Naya was stunning and I'm just time and time again this season just blown away by her ability.
Speaker 1: She's not even in the like a lot of it.
Speaker 2: No, in every second she is is like she is very powerful, so powerful. And then she comes in and shows up on fondue for two and that look to the camera like what are we doing here? And like lets Brittany say her piece and then is like time out, like what's going on? And you feel Santana feels grown. You know, she's been living in New York like all that tracks, Yeah, and like that's not by accident, Like that's somebody who knows their character, knows geographically and within time where their character is and that it's just unbelievable skill and it's I don't think it's something she even had to think about. She just inherently new. Yeah, Like I love that she was there. Loves and they like that's how you bring somebody back and they make an impact and they are meaningful to the storyline.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean even when she just goes to get her up from the stage after regionals, You're like, oh, right, thanks for that. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were saying this speech that Brittany gives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it to my point earlier that it felt really a really final Obviously you cut to Tina crying, always crying, but like everybody was very it was I think it was very emotional. We didn't know what the future was going to bring. I don't think any of us really knew about our storylines or where we were going after this, and we didn't know I how that was coming back and she's basically saying goodbye in real life on screen and she gives us wonderfully emotional monologue kind of like just talking about how people told her that she was stupid. Is that in that speech where she says, like people always told me that I was stupid and I believe them. Yeah, And then she walked in the room and like she started believing in herself and it was just so honest for Brittany, and it was just like it was so well written and so well and perfectly executed by Heather and then her just saying goodbye, it was like I couldn't I couldn't have asked for a better like pause for Hemo to go and do what she had to do and have her baby and like start this new chapter and.
Speaker 2: There was just no there was no fuss in her performance, like it felt so raw, real, and it was one of those things where everything she said it looked like she was feeling, and even when she was delivering like all the comedic lines about each character, I guess except for Kurt, because Brittany hates Kurt, I guess, it was just beautiful, like beautiful, beautiful work. Like we have to ask her about that because it also felt like a release, didn't it, Like it just.
Speaker 1: Felt like we'll also know she was pregnant, so like, it doesn't take a lot to make somebody cry, that's fair, and not to say like that too, like no, what's the word I'm looking for demean her or like to take away from her performance in any way, but we are wildly hormonal and it doesn't take a lot to make us cry.
Speaker 2: And it also like I'm not to get not to therapize her without her ear, but having been pregnant, she was a first person to get pregnant on the show, working like that, and then like the break is finally here, I get to just do I need to do and like letting that go, releasing that and like we're all together and yep. Oh god that hug with Santana. Where as crazy as the show gets, man, they wrote the shit out of like these emotional scenes where you know that feeling where you you don't have it in you to verbalize how you feel because you're just like a ball of emotion. Yeah, and like this the growth in Britanna this season, even though we don't get a ton of it.
Speaker 1: Well, they're going separately and then you bring them back together and it's just like whoa, Well they're growing like synced up in that way. Yes, yes, totally, very very impactful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really really really beautiful.
Speaker 1: We're getting ready for regionals and Rider says he's not going to perform that until the Catfish reveals himself herself and then cut to you. So I'm jumping a little bit. Even after the Catfish is revealed Riders, he says that he's going to perform with everybody he does show up for regionals, Thank goodness. We need that body and that person. But also he's leaving Glee Club after this, so there's a bit of a cliffhanger there is Rider going to rejoin us in new directions.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: Because Rider is threatening to not perform unless the catfish reveals himself and Marley, being a good person and the friend that she is, she is said she's a catfish, and we quickly find out that she's covering for Unique, who is really true the true catfish.
Speaker 2: Because it does seem surprising because Jacob at first, like or Jake, looks at Marley like huh yeah, and then he gets up and defends her, which would be weird if she was actually the catfish.
Speaker 1: Totally very strange. It't doesn't really track, but okay, yeah, like it was a joke and well why would they be messing with him? That doesn't Yeah, and the moment where it's revealed that it's Unique in the hallway, Yeah, like Melissa like the heartbreak, I'm like, are you sure you want to do this?
Speaker 2: Like I'm fine taking the heat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's powerful. I will be honest, I'm glad this storyline is over. Hell yeah, it's kind of it's like the Baby for Me drawn out, like one of some too long. But but the Unique performance and Alex's performance and the dynamic that that creates is actually really beautiful. You know that is actually all the things are true, right, all those things are me and all those things are real and like people get cavished all the time, and I totally buy it. I just you know, the storyline went a little along for me. But Alex's performance is excellent. I thought Blake's performance in this even with like and just how john out it's been, he's still he really brought it as well. And Melissa like real rage. Yeah, yeah, throwing the table or like whatever, throwing all this stuff. I was like, let's let's not be so dramatic about its dial it back like one.
Speaker 2: Two ticks, and it was telling like and during regionals after they win and they do a great job and they accidentally like hug each other, It's like, well, that's the real emotion. I think, like that's the truth of their relationships, Like they are friends, they have this deep bond from the glee club, and it's a real I think like moral question or like societal question of like well, if you have these connections with these people and you take away what you think it's that can be applied to anything. But it's like yeah, because you then have to And I think it's.
Speaker 1: Interestcial experiment of love is blind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think like the like the great part about Blake's performance is is like the onus is on him to like figure himself out where his reaction is to this can't be a thing because like society has told me this can't be a thing, right. But it's like you have a long, deep friendship with this person, right exactly, and then that requires like introspection for you to challenge yourself. And it felt like all of that was bottled up and coming out there. Yes, I agreed, or maybe that's just a little too deep for Glee. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, whatever they did, they made us think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I would say.
Speaker 1: I was like, woh, yeah, no, it did its job. I think. Blaine, on the other hand, still wants to propose to Kurt, even after his talk with Bert, and there's a bunch of people telling him it's not an idea, including Sam, which we'll get to. But the first reveal is that they're shopping for engagement rings, and of course Tene is there with Blaine helping pick out a ring. I gotta be honest to you, This is around the point where I was like I was.
Speaker 4: There, Oh yeah, I was there. I was there, Jenna. We had been shooting since we.
Speaker 1: Were double shooting this episode, so we were yeah.
Speaker 2: Like we were just trying to make it through the day. So if you don't remember these like little scenes.
Speaker 1: It's okay, No, I know, I know, but I was like, I was actually more alarmed than like I was like, wow, I was there, you know. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, but think about if I ask you what, well, actually you may know the answer to this, but I'm like, what did you have for lunch on Monday?
Speaker 1: Right? No, I couldn't tell you that it was captured.
Speaker 2: On film and you watch it, You're like, I had that.
Speaker 1: Right, right right? I ate that. Yeah, I made that totally. Yeah, yeah, right, I bring these funny things to us. But yeah, I definitely was surprised that Tina was there. And while we're there, we get to meet Jan Patty Duke, Patti Duke. Now I do remember meeting Patty, so I was there.
Speaker 2: Well, we know you were there.
Speaker 1: I know I was there. I just confirmed it for myself. But she was great. She was awesome, and it was I think it was just really fast, to be honest. And Blaine meets Jan and and she she kind of takes her him under her wings and says, do you have anybody who's like been through this, or to kind of show you the way.
Speaker 2: I get older.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, which Chris is very good at head finding. But Blaine Jan invites him and Kurt to dinner at Bread Steaks with Jan's partner, Liz, and they're not married, but they're together. They're partners. They've been together for a long time, and.
Speaker 2: And they reference that the Supreme Court decision could be happening any day, a moment, even though it's another two years. But I thought this storyline was it was one of my favorite things ever. Really, I did not want it to end.
Speaker 1: It was very cute.
Speaker 2: It was so cute and Jan and the relationship felt so real. And I also just think Blaine has struggled a lot this season, and you know, not being with Kurt and all of that business, and I get like, oh, he wants to get engage. That's crazy, Like, why are we doing that again? He's in high school and Sam tries to talk some sense into him. But the beauty of having like the gay elder and having these women who their storyline like they traveled across America and they loved Ohio and they've been here and they've seen everything from the front porch, like everything was written so beautifully. Yeah, and it was nice to see Blaine in some context of like a safety net, Yeah, where like this isn't panic that you're not spiraling. Look at this future you could have if not with Kurt, with somebody else, And also being like maybe it is with Kurt. We were eighteen when we met, and it felt like it it fits so well into the show and also just felt different, like something I haven't seen on the show yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: And also seeing Chris just kick it.
Speaker 1: With Meredith Baxter and.
Speaker 2: Pat Duke is like, come on, like that, I feel like that's a Chris dream dinners with people. Yeah like that, Yeah, totally. Well, Like how sweet her reaction when she first hears that it's a boy that he wants to get engaged to and then like pulls him aside. I just know she's very the blocking of it, like all the technical aspects of it, like it was Bred Baker really nailed it, and she nailed it and Darren nailed it. It was like it was just a perfect tone.
Speaker 1: It was you're right, it was a very Glee tone and it was very it was done. It was executed really well. Everything was executed really well in steps, so at least in terms of the acting in the story.
Speaker 2: So there's like so much meaning in all these like little scenes like that where you have the Britney stuff, the real Britney stuff happening in that beautiful speech at the end, then you have this happening which is for a a whole other reason of impact and meaning, and that's why you're getting so much in this episode that you're like, I don't even care about regionals totally. I want to stay in episode.
Speaker 1: And then we cut to Blade at the very very end of the episode, right and he's holding the ring box behind his back, so it absolutely influenced him, and we're going to see what happens there.
Speaker 2: I was sold. I was like, yes, he should propose the biggest hater of like, no, teens should not be getting engaged. Can we cut this out. We've done this on the show already totally. And then I was like, let's do that at regional. Let's just do it, don't waste any more time.
Speaker 1: The last thing that happens in this episode that we kind of get to see is like after winning regionals, Will and Emma get married in the choir room with all of us there, with an intimate setting that she says, and I would have been I look, I love Jayme And I remember shooting this and being like James A. G I could watch her act all day. This is really sweet. I could have just been fine with coming back from season to season five opening with them married, right, do you know what I mean? Like we already talked about the proposal, like as like I were back together and we're you know, like so I think that time could have been better spent with them having another conversation or seeing like a little bit more of the inside of where how they get to getting married again. But I don't, you know, it was great and I thought they did a great job with it, and I thought it was really sweet. But of course I'm like, of course in the room, like do these people not have any friends or family? Like then like Tinao and jang Ins at the wedding, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, Like so much happened in this episode, like yeah, let's start of surprise wedding at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember this was very rushed shooting this. It was very not rushed, but very fast, and I remember Jama like spitting this out a couple of times. It was perfect. You didn't need any more. But like you're like, whoa, she just did that, you know, I mean?
Speaker 2: And the thing is, I didn't in theory. I don't like what's happening, Like I agree with you. But Jama makes anything and everything works. She makes every scene better that she's in, and so it's like, great, yeah, I do want to see the surprise wedding. And she's waiting outside and then comes in and it's so cute and she's like, yeah, let me have a chance to do the vows and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah I was again, yes I'm and I was out of totally.
Speaker 2: Watching Jama act is a gift people like she. I know, her character is like quirky and has this little voice. She's unbelievable. She's so different from her character. Yes, that's right, she's excellent. She doesn't mess up.
Speaker 1: She doesn't she knows her ship. She's a professional.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: All right, let's create the performances. So we've we've seen Rachel do her full orchestra band callback for Selene. I give it an a.
Speaker 2: Vocal A plus plus. Yes, totally performance itself Vina.
Speaker 1: Ramboke A love. I loved it was so sweet. I'll give it a B plus plus. Yeah, but it was great. And then we've got Clarity and Wings. I okay for a Z song that's like usually in like the eed a kind of like pop world. To make that work as a regional's number, I thought was excellent. I thought they were so good and I love that song, so I'm giving it an A.
Speaker 2: And I love Wings the song and the number y Jessica Sanchez singing her face off. Oh my god, oh both of these songs. The choreography was great. They absolutely should have won regionals.
Speaker 1: I'm giving Wings an A plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am as well. I think they.
Speaker 1: Were just I was Wings was my first choice for my one of my drag race songs and it didn't get cleared, and I was really bummed by that because I really loved it. But anyway, we love that song.
Speaker 2: Little Mix always needs more and more, like Little Mix is the greatest YEP. Just giving their respect gives them their respect.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, and then we do a trio songs for new directions. We do all Fame. I don't like the song to begin with, and I don't know, I don't know. I don't want to be mean. It's better not say anything at all.
Speaker 2: Jenna and I are big, the script fans huge. We were in London once and we met some of the script and they're like, can you let's get our song on the show, and like, I will go back and tell Ryan and I did and they didn't end up on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then that song, which is probably one of.
Speaker 1: The one of his favorite songs yet, Yeah, and it was.
Speaker 2: Girl, I don't have the range. You sounded good dying dying singing that song.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very high.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I did they did they for you?
Speaker 2: I mean the absolutely for me? Yeah, But I was just screaming.
Speaker 1: It worked for this song because this song isn't like cough syrup, do you know what I mean. It's it's a lot of talkie rappie, yeah kind of you know.
Speaker 2: I will say they did me a real solid because I guarantee you in that recording booth, I sounded like.
Speaker 1: Chalkboard sounded great in the finals, So you.
Speaker 2: Know how I got spot in my voice. I can go high, but it is nobody should ever hear it. That's where that lives and it was like, it's like, I'm never trying to show that publicly.
Speaker 1: I get I've heard it no, and I have that in my voice as well. It's the break, it's your break. Yes, it's not it's not great. I get it.
Speaker 2: And I don't rude when there's a song in your break. I'm not good enough to know how to like sing in it properly.
Speaker 1: If it's in your break, it's not great. It's just not great for anybody, you know what I mean. That's a natural thing. People have breaks, You're human.
Speaker 2: But the boys sounded great on it.
Speaker 1: I just whatever, I'm not gonna lie. I kind of asparted there a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't blame you.
Speaker 1: It was it's fine whatever, I love it. I kind of popped. So I had a lot of fun filming this one. This was really fun for us. We were being we were just out of our minds.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stomping around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and poor Heather was so pregnant under that purple dress and we were just like rubbing her back in between numbers and like breaks, and I felt so bad. And it's really fast that song, like the way that they choreographed it and it was fun to do. Do I think that it hit like, did it have the impact that it has when you listen to it on the radio.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I didn't live up to like it needed to be a Troubletones style number one thousand just wasn't.
Speaker 1: Also, we did it in double time for low mo. Yeah, because that song's already pretty fast. It's so fast and then you're doing I got to say.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, So clearly.
Speaker 1: It was really crazy. And I don't even think they used any of it sadly unlocked.
Speaker 2: I think they did, like granfly, Yeah, there is like in the middle of it, there's a little it.
Speaker 1: Probably doesn't even feel that slow because it's so fast, you know.
Speaker 2: I also feel like, because there was so much to shoot this episode, I felt like I needed a little more. I wanted a little more coverage camera coverage of this number. Agreed, there were some cool moments of like, you know, when the girls are like coming through, they make this like this wall of arms and the girls are like peeking through each posing and I'm like, I'm not really getting like where that is in relationship to the stage, and I I didn't feel the impact because all the white shots and just were all like transition moves, so people like they were just like walking around aimlessly.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. It's like, did we not get Andrew on there with the steady cam, like a lot of close up and pullbacks and pushins would have really given that number something. But I'm not the director, I'm not Brettbeaker. I don't have his talents. But I'm just saying, maybe you're right.
Speaker 2: I think we had a lot to do.
Speaker 1: We did have a lot to do, okay, and then we did all or nothing. We didn't we didn't rate it. I give Hall of fame.
Speaker 5: I give as C C D C C C C C C plus honestly ye C plus yeah, yeah, I agree, that's our first C we've ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it deserves it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I would give a B minus yeah, same and all are nothing. Marley's song again doesn't quite hit the way I wish original ballad would. I give it like a beat plus.
Speaker 2: It's hard because you've gone after two complete bangers of Clarity and Wings.
Speaker 1: Literally, why couldn't they have given new directions those songs like not that we would have executed them as well as they did. But let me say the songs are good.
Speaker 2: They're like up like they're exciting songs.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I feel like we're such downers about this regionalis. I'm sorry, but it just didn't It didn't hit for me. But there's there's a competition coming that really does slap. There's two of them that are coming that are really good, so I'm okay with it. I'm really looking forward to this.
Speaker 2: We're just haters at this one. We normally are not. We normally like these.
Speaker 1: The next two are good.
Speaker 2: I'm really good and I really enjoyed the rest of this episode.
Speaker 1: So sorry, whatever, all right, let's do some chartie takes then, Okay, cringe moments.
Speaker 2: I did feel the white male rage of writer was. I felt a little scared, akin to when Shuster got mad at Terry in the kitchen that one time. Yep, yep, yep, when you like can see going.
Speaker 1: What's gonna happen?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel that.
Speaker 2: Freaking me out a little bit a little too far?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, best dance move. Well, Okay, I have to say, Vanessa not caring during I Don't Care is the highlight of this episode.
Speaker 2: MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like twiddling her hair and like chewing gum.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, so good. And she also did in Hall of Fame. She had King Kong banging on your chest and she did that move like looking directly at camera.
Speaker 1: I want to be Vanessa. Jeez, Vanessa like.
Speaker 2: Naya, You give her any moment on camera and she's going to give it all to you.
Speaker 1: I really just want to be Vanessa in my next life. Okay, best song is.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Wings Wings agreed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, prop, I'm going with Britney's Magical Doodle. Great.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean that's like maybe the best prop ever.
Speaker 1: I need that photo. Best line I.
Speaker 2: Think there's like two versions of this. I think the best line is Brittany's entire monologue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she talks about Michael Bolton and I met in nineteen ninety four in Los Angeles when I punctured his windpipe with a letter opener at Kate Mantalini's where he was having lunch and I just happened to be doing my taxes. He choked after in hailing a chunk of his own hair, and I saved his life. He owed me a favor ever since. And just in case you're wondering Michael Bolton is a fantastic lover. We did it all night, well, we did it every which way.
Speaker 2: Mini so Oh, I just stopped by the teacher's lums to retrieve my babies. Was sent in the fridge, Brittany. I refused to speak to either of you in this office. It's dusty and drab and mister she's teacher. The year photo really creeps me. Tonight's guests are two sworn enemies who became friends, then became enemies again, then became friends again and enemies and then everybody stopped caring.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. That's really good one. Perform Heather Morris.
Speaker 2: Heather Morris, I think honorable, mentioned to Patty Duke.
Speaker 1: Oh yay, of course, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like just absolutely brilliant. Yeah, I that brought me so much joy.
Speaker 1: What's going on in the TikTok world, Kevin.
Speaker 2: So, there's two videos going around of Chapel arone at a Q and a I believe in Scotland, And she's asked Glee questions and she says she is in the middle of watching it. She's on season two. What Yes? And there's one that's really long and they try to ask how she feels about Faberi, but she doesn't know that yet, and she doesn't know about Britanna yet, and it's just hilarious.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's amazing that she's even talking about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that because also it's like there's never been like she is the perfect which if we've talked about people have said it like if Glee was on today, we actually he was doing so much. Chaperone, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: They ask what her favorite Glee cover is and then she says she loves Suso Bester's Madonna.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The other episode she likes is Brittany when we're all like high in the laughing gas, and she said it's taken her three times to get into Glee because originally she's like, this is stupid as fun, which, to be honest, I think that's how I would have felt if I told was on it. And then once you get into it and see that it's silly and making fun of itself, then yeah, we love Chaperone so talented, happy that she's blown up, and I hope you enjoy the rest of Glee. Buckle up.
Speaker 1: Well, that is the end of season four, everybody, and we got some fun episodes coming up to recap season four and next week is season four the top songs, top episodes, top couples, and overall thoughts all submitted by you guys. So we are really looking forward to diving into all of that with you guys hearing your thoughts because your thoughts are the most important, and then us giving our silly thoughts as well. So thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Stick around. Heather Morris is going to be here coming up soon. We have Mike's Mike Gonna come Back, Andrew from Fleika the Week Podcast. We want to get all the thoughts at the end of season four. Also, if you go to vote dot org, you can see if your state has early voting where you can early vote, what the schedule is. Go check that out. It's better to vote early. You don't have to worry about it. Make a plan, vote dot org, check it out, put in your state and you'll see the schedule for early voting. See you next week.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.