Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into the processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, I lead mutual fund and active Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today my coast is Brian Darty, head of Thematic Strategy at Bloomberg Intelligence. Brie, thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure, David, one of my favorite places to.
Speaker 1: Be So in a recent note, you wrote that US exceptionalism still matters, but it's no longer the whole story. As we've seen concentration risk re emerge with the tech sell off in AI back at the center of debate, How should investors be thinking about where the next phase of AI leadership actually comes from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the last year has been a really telling one, and what we've been saying is we think twenty twenty five set the signals, and then in twenty twenty six we're going to see some broadening of that opportunity. So again we're not at all saying that US exceptionalism is dead. The US naturally has an extremely important role to be playing in what we see happening in AI the hyperscalers, you know, first and foremost specifically as we look at this you know, capex driven cycle that we're that we're entering into or just starting to enter into. But what we really want to highlight is that I would say the deep seek of January twenty twenty five, so think back a year ago, was a bit of an eye opener that this isn't a one horse race, right, and that this is very much a global AI continuum that we're all on and we think that we're going to see more and more investors. We've seen it in the back half of twenty twenty five, we continue to expect that this will continue to take hold in twenty twenty six. That investors are looking globally right. They understand the opportunity of the United States, but they also understand that you're going to see a lot of great innovation coming out of Asia, coming out of Europe, and that a really good way to look at the portfolios to make sure that you have a balanced exposure there. The other thing that we're highlighting is naturally we tend to be lovers of equal weight, and particularly a lover of eical weight. In twenty twenty six, and just highlighting again that especially as we look to themes such as AI, but also across all of our innovation themes. We think that sometimes investors can get really hung up on the most well known names, right, and that's typically those big megacaps, and there tends to be a lot of US tech tunnel vision when people think of innovation, and we actually see a lot of opportunity in lesser nor names. And that's one of the work that the matics, I think really brings to the forefront is just how much opportunity is sitting outside benchmarks. And we really expect the broad name to continue through twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Great and so we all know AI is definitely considered a mega theme, and it just so happens today we have a mega theme portfolio manager as our guests today, So I'd like to welcome Sarji Nahal to the podcast. Saraje is a portfolio manager in list with the Global Thematic Equity team at Lizard Asset Management SAGE. Thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. It's a pleasure to be here this morning.
Speaker 1: So we're going to be discussing the Lizard Equity Mega Trends ETF tickerh MZ. Can you walk us through the core investment philosophy behind the fund in what mega trend investing means in practice?
Speaker 3: Happy to say a few words, and you know, the core philosophy behind themes is rooted in the belief that we're living in an era of unprecedented transformation and disruption, whether it be structural chips, in terms of demographics with Asian populations, geopolitics with the emergence of a multipolar world, or in terms of technology and AI diffusion. And if I were to quote eighteen time All Star and thirteen time World Series champion Yogi Berra, the future aint what it used to be and investors need to prepare their clients for a future that is no longer predictable, no longer stable, or no longer a simple extent of the past. And these transformative and disruptive forces are no longer peripheral trends, but they've become central drivers of everything from dispersion to volatility to disruption and ultimately long term value creation. And we can see this with the lifespan of companies in the s and P five hundred. I was just falling from sixty years in the nineteen fifties to thirty years in the nineteen eighties to an estimated twelve to fifteen years by twenty thirty at the end of this decade, and the growth and so called Kodak moments of companies, we're simply failing to foresee and adapt to the pace of disruptive transformation, and we really see mega trends investing as offered an invaluable north star for investors looking to adapt for the future and navigate these structural shifts. And in practice this means leveraging a bottoms up fundamental, fundamental research and valuation discipline focused approach when it comes to investment, and we believe the software is it's two things. Firstly, it's an opportunity to invest in high quality, growing companies benefiting from structural change at a reasonable price what will refer to as themes or mega trends as a reasonable price along the lines of gart But secondly, longer term optionality from ten to twenty year themes that are currently on the investment frontier but rapidly becoming reality, so things like autonomous vehicles, humanoid robots, quantum computing, SMRs as well as space.
Speaker 1: So if we take a step back, how do you define and identify these mega trends? Is there a certain criteria that your team uses decide if a trend is structural enough to be included in the funds investment universe?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, you know. As our starting point, we really see mega trends as long term, large scale global structural shifts with the potential to reshape global industry, economics and profit pools. And we also believe that the evaluate a selection of mega trends requires robust fundamental grounding needs to be validated by both company level insights as well as the Lazarts Global research platform. A forward looking approach is critical to timing theme selection, as you generally don't want to be buying when the theme has reached page one of the newspapers or is all across your social media, or for that matter, your parents or your grandparents.
Speaker 1: Are asking you about it.
Speaker 3: You want to be focused on the ideas that are on section see page thirty two of the newspapers but slowly moving their way towards page one, and our investment edge in this regard lies in the four and a half thousand company meetings that we, together with our fundamental analyst colleagues, have with companies every single years. These meetings account for about fifty percent of our times as PMS and allow us to build a picture of our transforming world. And during this meetings we ask the CEOs and senior management strategic questions about things like structural changes over the next three to ten years, the evolution of both demand and supply, capex investments which are being underestimated or ignored by the market, and future sources of revenues and profit pools. And in essence, these collected data points allow us to both identify emerging mega trends and to focus on idiosyncratic stock factors, while also tying our mega trends to three to five year valuations for companies. And practically speaking, each mega trend must also be able to offer durability, scale and investability across a diversified set of companies, and at present we run a concentrated portfolio of sixty names across six themes or mega trends, so that includes smart campex, smarter industry, and a new era for capital investment, bits of chips, key selective components capturing value from digitalization powered consumer the winners in a whole new world of consumerism. Software agents, the next major evolution of software, data and AI competitive advantage from the plied AI. And then finally future health, which is focused on solutions to the societal challenges in and around healthcare.
Speaker 1: Can you describe how your proprietary multi theme process works in terms of how themes evolve over time in the portfolio?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, of course. Well as thematic investors, we anchor our portfolio to multiple themes or mega trends rather than benchmarks, which we believe don't tell you very much about the future and lead to a framing bias. And as a Canadian, I'll make an ice hockey analogy. We need to be skating to where the puck is going, not where it currently is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: As mentioned, we have six themes in our strategy, with our belief being that firstly, each theme captures a different subset of structural factors, Secondly, that different themes pay off at different times and in different ways, and that thirdly themes evolve over time. We also believe that a multi thematic approach reduces risk and smooth's return patterns over time. In escence, it affects competition for capital between themes as opposed to a single theme approach where no one tells you when to evolve or sell. And obviously we run an active ETF and our themes are dynamic and evolve off the back of our bottoms up research and the data points we're collecting from our meetings with companies and as evidence, as economics, as competitive dynamics, As policy directions change, new themes emerge, and existing themes can shrink, expand, or be retired based on our conviction. But to put things in perspective, we are true long term investors. Of the average lifespan of our themes average is about five years, and portfolio turnover is about twenty percent per year.
Speaker 1: So I'm gvite you mentioned bottom up research because that was kind of the next part I wanted to talk about. Is there specific approach to selecting you know, once you have your themes, to selecting the specific companies you know, you know certain fundamental metrics you like to use, or even you know, any biases towards geographic regions or even market caps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, perfect, well. In terms of investment process, we've got a robust and long standing four step process you know. Firstly, we're looking for thematic fits, with companies needing to clearly benefit from the structural drivers behind a theme and supportant stress. We're not looking at simplistic quant or revenue exposure screens and stock lists, but rather at the evolution of business models, exposure to exogeness factors, and how stocks will benefit from the return opportunity over time. Secondly, we're looking at stock specific factors. The reality is that no stock will ever be a perfect fit for a theme, and there are many idiosyncratic factors at play, from the quality of management to worry some legacy businesses is to sustainability concerns, and these are often swept under the carpet by top down investors, but we choose to choose to go deeper, working closely with Lazard's fundamental research team and their insights. Thirdly is valuation, where we place an overarching focus on year three so twenty twenty nine and year five twenty thirty one, and on whether the valuation is reasonable, whether there's a possibility of upside if the theme plays out, and ultimately on capturing asymmetries. And then fourth and finally is diversification. We have multiple themes and multiple stocks per theme, and layers of diversification across market segments geographies, products, services, as well as sectors. It's very much our belief that diversification allows us to access different return profiles. And generally speaking, we equally wake themes and stocks and we regularly take profits and recycle them into strong suctual stories experiencing moments of weakness.
Speaker 1: So I do have a follow up to that, you know you touched upon valuations. Are there specific valuation metrics you consider or does it kind of differ from stock to stock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy to say.
Speaker 1: A word there.
Speaker 3: And firstly I would just stress that, you know, so much of the focus in terms of thematic and mega trends is on narrative heavy areas and support of stress. There's certainly some great narratives or stories associated around mega trends, but we really pride ourselves on our valuation discipline. You know, Our emphasis again is on that bottoms up long term valuation years three and years five in particular, but also the thematic optionality playing out over longer period so five to ten years. And it's our belief that these are timeframes where markets tend to be less efficient and structural change is generally underappreciated, but in terms of valuation, rather than fixing target our team we work extremely closely with Thozard seventy fundamental analysts to compare with the market is discounting the consensus and price with what our differentiated long term judgments say. Valuation approaches can be flexible by company type. We're recognizing everything from annuity like elements through to optionality. We're leveraging scenario based analysis, which helps us to calibrate materiality and avoid overpaying for popular or narrative German themes, and our valuation discipline also means that we can help our clients access the best themes and the best companies tomorrow early and at a reasonable price. Because themes at a reasonable price, Mega trends at a reasonable price is have the heart of everything that we are trying to do. Is there any type of top down research as part of the process. Do you kind of incorporate any type of macroeconomic or geopolitical insights into your framework? Yeah? Of course, you know, as you can imagine, macro geopolitical insights are critical for us as a Mega trens team, especially in light of the new realities of the fragmented, the transactional, the intensely competitive, multi polar world that we're living in, and we really see these inputs as key to shaping long term foundations and construction of our themes, as opposed to those who would use them for tactical positioning or short term timing. So just to give you an example, you know, we see strategic investment in US manufacturing and industry as accelerating due to macro on geopolitical challenges. We see the scales tilting away from chasing low cost labor back towards domestic production, and we believe capital and proximity to the end user is going to dictate the national and regional allocation of capex parameters to which the US have no equal. We also see the US as in the very early innings of a massive reindustrialization wave which could become a multi decade opportunity which we size at a minimum of ten trillion dollars in the coming years. And as the US aims to regain the twenty to twenty five percent of global manufacturing share that it commanded in the nineties, we see an increasing focus on reshoring high value strategic supply chains and critical infrastructure, and in terms of example semis or chips, that industry is clearly becoming one of the biggest focus areas. And if you take a look at twenty twenty five, as of July, Semi companies had announced over five hundred billion of private sector investments across twenty eight states to revitalize the US leading edge cheap chip ecosystem and move towards this whole idea of solvereign AI and US pharma manufacturing is another reshoring beneficiary with three hundred and seventy billion of investments in two thousan twenty five. So we're looking at the macro, we're looking at the geopolitical, but we're trying to see what sort of bottom up impacts that is having in terms of our in terms of our portfolio.
Speaker 1: So I know BRI has some really great questions digging deeper into the themes themselves, but I just have one more question on investment process before we move on. You work alongside a few different co managers on this strategy. How does collaboration work in terms of theme selection, sizing and portfolio reviews?
Speaker 3: Of course, well, just in terms of the team itself, Mozon's Thematic and Mega Trends team comprises six members, four pms, a portfolio analyst, and a client portfolio manager. We're based in both New York and London, and we are one of the world's most experienced thematic teams, with an average of twenty four years of industry experience, including an average of eleven years at Lazard. We have complementary backgrounds that spanned the buy and sell side, geographies, areas of study and interest, and one member was actually a former member of a national chess team. But it's important to stress that beyond the core team is that we're collaborating throughout the day with an emphasis on cognitive diversity and collective decision making, with everything from theme and stock selections, sizing decisions, and portfolio reviews made jointly by the pms, supported by ongoing debate and shared research ownership. But it's critical to stress the importance of the inter connected insights that we derive from the investment investment network. At Lazard, we have access to and regularly leverage a world class network of seventy sector specialists across continents who help us to construct our bottoms up vision of the world and we're an incredibly interconnected platform. We're in constant touch with the fundamental analysts, with dedicated chat groups with each of them, as well as a firm wide big Big Picture weekly Leal Thematic meeting, which has been running at the firm for well over for well over two decades now.
Speaker 2: A lot of what you were saying that echoes with also, you know the low approach we take, and it's you've said some of my favorite words asymmetric right here, right, idiosyncratic, all those really good ones. When you start talking about thematic, I was I was looking at the current membership and interested to hear your perspective, you know, thinking back to the question I answered David at the very beginning here, when we think about going global versus focusing on opportunity potentially being unlocked in the US, you've got a decently high waiting to us, interested to hear on if there are certain of the mega trends that you're focused on where you are looking more global versus other ones that you're more focused on being US driven.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, perfect, Happy to say a word there, and I think I would take things one step back, and what I would really stress is it's r you that investors need to look beyond the horizon the capture tomorrow's ELpH and future wealth. And basically this reals a fourfold shift in investing wavelength. And the first is just clearly moving from short term to long term. All of the market volatility that we're seeing on a daily basis presents opportunities for long term investors. Its Secondly, exactly in line with what you're saying, we believe that we need to move away from the US to becoming more global allocation can help us navigate a shifting market performance in what really is a new regime. And Thirdly, we need to diversify from that sometimes obsessive focus on data centers and ais to more diversity across sectors, market segments as well as companies. And then finally, as we discussed, we need to shift away from those backward looking benchmarks to being forward looking. Now, if to take a look at the portfolio itself, you know what you end up with is a portfolio which truly is global, right about sixty three percent North America and thirty seven percent rest of world, and this reflects global profit pool distribution and where many leaders in structural change reside. So I was talking about the changes that we're seeing, for instance, in the manufacturing and renaissance space in the United States. Massive opportunity. But this is a space where we need to look towards some of the European as well as the Japanese actors as we look to instill everything from automation, digitalization software and AI based operating systems for factories through to industrial robots as well as the emergence of humanoid robots. But if you look at the portfolio, the way that we think and the way that we act, it also results in a portfolio which is very well diversified. We've got about forty percent technology, but we have material exposure to healthcare, to industrials, to financials as well as consumer companies. And our global approach as well as our equal weighting based philosophy basically means under exposure to megacaps even when based in the US, providing broad participations across global trends.
Speaker 2: I think that's really interesting, and you mentioned in there specifically as it comes to AI. Let's be honest, can't help almost every conversation I have clients, even when we go in with a different topic of conversation. I feel like we always come back to AI. I think it's interesting what you said, they're looking beyond AI, looking beyond the data centers, and I know you mentioned also this really keen focus that your team has on the three to five year right and where the opportunity is going to sit there. Naturally, though, we've got this volatility and this tension, great opportunities to lean in when you get when you get some of this volatility, where in the AI ecosystem or which aspects of AI are you watching most closely right now, understanding that you're prioritizing where things are going to be in a three to five year window.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy to share some insights there. And I think firstly, it's there's no getting away from the fact that AI has and will continue to dominate the investment landscape. You know, we're anticipating about three to four trillion dollars in AI infrastructure spend by the end of this decade, and what companies are telling us is that they likely need to double compute every six months, which obviously means a three hundred to one thousand time increase over the next four to five years as they strive towards AGI or artificial general intelligence. And if we want to put things in perspective, it's really most comparable to the nineteenth century railway boom with both of these both of these representing massive transformative and potentially speculative investment cycles. And to put things in perspective, Gilded Age railroad investment peaked at about six percent of GDP, But if we look at AI hyperscaler Capex alone in twenty twenty five, it was about two percent of GDP, And obviously it's been increasing by the day, and a lot of people will always ask us, you know, why are we engaging in one of the costs theiest buildings freeze in human history. You take a over the last three years of AI spend and it's greater than when it costs to build the US Interstate highway network over forty years. You know why are we seeing multi billion dollar AI factories bigger than ten home depots being built in windswept towns like Ellendale, North Dakota, which has eleven hundred people, two motels, one dollar general, and a Pentecostal Bible college. The reality is that AI compute demand continues to exceed supply it's the fastest growing technology in history, faster than the TVs, the Internet, smartphones, or previous computing revolutions. You look at the consumer space, Chat GBT cheap one hundred million users in two months and is now close to nine hundred million. You know, that's a record for a consumer app. We now have seventy to eighty eight percent of businesses and ninety nine percent of the Fortune five hundred who are actively deploying or exploring deploying GENAI. That compares to only ten percent two years ago, and seventy five percent of companies say that they are now completing tasks that they were never able to do before. The reality is this is unlikely to change any time soon, given that we're only three to four years into what is likely a twenty five year investment supercycle, and that the street is consistently underestimated the cappex in this space. But that said, you know, if we bring this to an investment and a portfolio in terms of perspectives, the long term opportunity is really going to be rooted in sentiment on ROI and return on investment, and that balance that exists between AI capabilities long term incremental revenues and productivity and efficiency upside. And obviously we're seeing growing revenue opportunities if you look at what's happening in terms of the cloud with enterprise adoption of AI workloads, what's happening in terms of digital advertising with improved targeting an AI subscriptions, so people paying for tools and agentic services. These three areas alone represent a trillion dollars of incremental revenues over the next few years, with AI driven opex and capex efficiencies further pushing up company offerating profit margins. But what we are really excited about is that shift from data center build out toward broader implementation and applications. So this includes AI agents across industries. AI at the edge for example with smart glasses and new form factors, and physical AI in spaces like autonomous vehicles and humanoid robots with up to fifty trillion dollars of industry set to become autonomous. And from a macro perspective, if you go back to the macro, what I would stress is that AI could contribute up to fourteen percent of global GDP by twenty thirty and put some perspective, we're talking about fifteen point seven trillion dollar worth of GDP as AI enables automation products, decision making scale across sectors, and this is key they boost global productivity after twenty years of stagnation or decline. You know, we're talking about nine hundred billion plus and benefits for the SMP five hundred and this translates into about sixteen trillion dollars in potential long term market value creation potential. And what companies are telling us quarter after quarter, the reporting is improving in this regard. They're telling us about the profound productivity shifts that are coming from AI, you know, improving the efficiency of coding by eighty percent, AI speeding up drug development by eight to twelve times. AI accounting for seventy five percent of claims adjustment and underwriting in the insurance sector, all the way through to total cost of ownership savings versus humans of up to eighty five percent in the manufacturing sector. So massive opportunities beyond the data center. Also some areas for caution, which I'm happy to get into if that might be of interest.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what is really refreshing to hear is naturally, over the last eighteen months in particular, it's been so focused and I don't mean to say that it shouldn't be. We know that these bottlenecks are very much what need to be salved for the next three years. It's where the capex is having to be allocated. It is the upstream bottlenecks and that real infrastructure component of enabling AI. It is a little bit refreshing, actually a hy bit of a conversation that sometimes has been very much put on the back burner because you're not necessarily seen into the stock performance about those downstreams. So like if you know upstream AI versus downstream MAYI. It really has been a bit of the forgotten spot, I would say over the last eighteen months, if anything, maybe getting hit a little bit harder versus all that focus on the upstream and it is refreshing, just a hard thing to have the conversations about. Is patience is a virtue in this type of situation, right totally? And I do think I do think that's something especially as you say that you guys are so focused on three to five years, is that's where you're going to start to really see those downstream acceleration of the work that got put in now and it actually paying off into some of those downstream applications and their growth. There that being said, I did notice now a couple of things. One, I'm also Canadian, really appreciated the puck reference. Two, I will always take one of those two. I did notice that in your in your Mega trans breakdown, you also flagged something else that I'm deeply passionate about power and power being back on the agenda. I think those are the words that were maybe in something I've seen come across from your team.
Speaker 3: Sure, let's talk.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I find so interesting about power is it's almost like every single time I have to enter the conversation saying, guys, deep bottlenecking power and improving the power grid has been a priority for a decade, more than a decade now, AI just we already had a problem, we already needed an investment. AI has just now quadrupled you know, this situation and brought it mainstream and brought a whole new set of eyes to the situation, which I think is really really compelling. I often break this down between two things grid tech or centralized power versus. I'm loving seeing actually the increased focus, particularly from the tech investors towards decentralized power. So I'm interested to hear your take on how your team is addressing this power being back on the agenda and how you're working that into your current ethos. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Perfect, happy to share some thoughts there. We're we're in total agreement with you. And you know, if you take a look at the US, if you look at many developed markets, you know we're seeing power demand is increasing after two decades of relative stagnation. It's being driven by the growth in AI and data centers, as well as industrial activity from reshoring and then increasing electrification across industry sectors and across end markets. And just to put things in perspective, if we look at US data centers alone, you know, monthly and annual capacity editions reached record highs, record monthly eyes at one point four gigawatts in December, record annual highs in the US at ten gigawatts in twenty twenty five. Now this matters because a one gigawatt data center consumes the equivalent electricity of seven hundred and fifty to eight hundred thousand homes. Data centers have boosted US power demand growth to the highest level in twenty years, leading to more than half of regional power markets reaching critical tightness last year. And if we look forward, we're in total agreement with you. You know, data centers could be consuming twelve percent of total electricity in the US now at gatesst Backdob. We really see investment opportunities as being driven by for key dynamics. The first thing is going to be a focus on low cost energy to support rapid AI infrastructure growth and reshoring of industrial capabilities. This is going to include natural gas. It's also going to include decentralized power. Secondly, there needs to be an increasing focus on innovative technologies. We've seen a lot of excitement and take up with regards to nuclear and particular SMRs, but also things like carbon capture batteries and energy storage. Thirdly, we're probably looking at a situation of global energy deflation as the US exports cheap natural gas to key global markets. And then finally, this is an area where we need to need to engage in a.
Speaker 1: Certainly re of caution.
Speaker 3: We think that the political dynamics are going to become increasingly important. There's a heightened focus on energy build impacts for consumers and voters, and this is one of the biggest areas of stakeholder backlash to AI. You know, we saw one hundred billion dollars worth of data center project being canceled. Last year. We saw close to thirty states passing regulation in this regard. So definitely something that needs to be on our agenda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's a good thing to flag is nimis ever obviously not new to the energy industry. I do think it's new newer to the tech industry. They've never really had to navigate that type of dynamic. But you're right, it's a It is the stakeholder management and stakeholder engagement that goes alongside this type of build cycle is not to be underestimated and not to best to assume it's not going to be linear and smooth sale. Right. I feel like we learned those lessons, or we should have learned those lessons.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: Also, one of the advantages of a global diversifying the multi.
Speaker 2: Thematic approach of the end absolutely right, and every region is going to have it. And naturally, as you said, this is a global buildout, right, you can't just be building out. Every nation has prioritized it on their national security prioritization from an AI perspective. As you mentioned earlier, space is also getting recognized for that as well, really dovetailing with a national defense for capitalization. So I think that's also a really beautiful intersection, is that it's obviously been prioritized in the US, but we're seeing it prioritized throughout APEC and also through Europe, everybody not wanting to be left behind. I think this is maybe a tricky question, and to be honest, I don't know how I would answer, which is probably why I'm asking, because I'd love to.
Speaker 1: Have an answer.
Speaker 3: I'll give you my best.
Speaker 2: When you think about what you guys are looking at right now, or how you're positioned, and where you see the opportunity. Is there something that could happen in the next twelve months that would pivot you aggressively. You mentioned something like a twenty percent average churn there will use the term black swan. Is there this potential black swan that low probability, but if it happens, you would absolutely be looking to make a more dynamic shift within your current structuring.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't see there one black subpan, and to be quite honest, you know it isn't great for our sleep patterns, but we're in a constant process of addressing development that could challenge our thematic priorities. We'll get everything from shifts in global policy direction in a multipolar world, slowing economic activity that can impact CAPEX, competitive intensity, or technological disruption, and then valuation compression if expectations run ahead of fundamentals, and if I try to bring that in perspective of some of the shorter term things that we've been seeing in the market. As you can probably imagine, a lot of recent emphasis has been on the impact of AI on software companies, and this is an area where we've been shifting our focus away from slowing set as grows over the course of the last few years towards towards a variety of new drivers. So we're placing an increasing emphasis on outcomes rather than seats on tapping into booming AI budgets. These continued to increase, while overall IT budgets are flat or stagnating. The rethinking of interfaces and the monetization of AI agents on top systems of record, and from a valuation perspective, you know, we're also looking at valuations which have sometimes fallen into their routines, but in light of free cash flow multiples which are even better than that, and with net cash balance sheets. But ultimately, you know, we consider ourselves experts on structural change. That is our bread and butter, and what we're obsessively focused on is many of the emerging challenges that are ignored by shorter term investors. Just to give you a flavor, you know, we're seeing significant negative shifts in public sentiment on AI. One of the major service is on twenty twenty five is that fifty percent of Americans are now more concerned than excited about AI. You know, we're looking at the macro impacts. AI is currently able to automate twenty five percent of all working hours. What is this going to mean in terms of the need for rescaling and upscaling. And then we're looking at things like electricity and power, which we talked about. You know, one hundred regulations in thirty states passed in the US in twenty twenty five alone, and we're now talking about things like whole set electricity auctions to fund long term contracts for power generation capacity. All of these things are potentially on the horizon and obviously could impact the composition of the underlying portfolio.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if you guys saw it, but the Chris Hemsworth Super Bowl ad yesterday fear of AI, right, it is true or pell great at one other And maybe this will be my final question and I'll leave it to David. The thing that I think twenty twenty five was most under the radar takeaway for thematic investing from my perspective was I think we're seeing institutional investors finally understand this is where you are to be front footed right, just the drag and the leg that you're inherently exposed to with some of the more traditional constructs. I think we saw it. We saw it specifically track a lot of the global thematic ETF flows naturally, and we were seeing just based off the behavior, it was a record year for thematic etfmflow through twenty twenty five, really strong start to twenty twenty six as well. Interestingly, where we saw the biggest allocations were going to these big, heavy structural demand type areas AI, defense, infrastructure, nuclear. I'd love to hear your opinion on the fact that we have hopefully hit that inflection point thematic investing where once upon a time it was purely thought to be a retail investor type of focus and the potential for us to be gaining some real traction amongst institutional investors.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm in total agreement with you in that regard, and if anything, we would argue that thematics and mega trends are increasingly relevant for all investors' retail as well as institutional. You know, I talked about our Yogi Bara quote at the future ain't what it used to be, but it's very much our view that, you know, thematics and mega trends are increasingly key to capturing alpha from the combination of investing in high quality growth companies benefiting from structural change put at a reasonable price, as well as longer term thematic optionality. So the alpha story is key here, but the relevance for investors goes well beyond this. It really lies at the heart of investor's ability to retain and grow their books at business and as you alluded to, investors need to follow the follow the money, and follow the dollars. Thematic assets reach a three year high last year of seven hundred and seventy nine billion dollars globally, and this is no longer a European phenomenon. The US has been seeing the fastest growth worldwide. USAUM has grown fifty percent over the last three years, helped again by the rise of active btfs. But secondly, we need to pay attention to the changing demographics. Forty percent of American millennials and forty percent of American gen z or gen z as we woul say in Canada, investors those aged thirty to forty five and fourteen to twenty nine, respectively, already use thematic mega trends investment. And then finally, you know, we're in the midst of the largest ever generational wealth transfer in human history. You know, we're looking at one hundred and twenty four trillion dollars which is set to shift to younger generations in the US alone by twenty forty eight. But in an extremely worrying sign, only thirteen percent of investors retain their parents, grand parents, fa their financial advisor when the money passes hands. You know, I talked about those Code Act moments earlier, but the reality is that younger investors think and act differently than previous cohorts. And ultimately, you know what This comes down to is that the logic and the expectations of yesteryear are becoming obsolete in a transforming world, and mega trends investing is going to be critical to reduce the looming risk of disintermediation. So, in a nutshell, what we continue to do, what we've always done, is to urge investors, whether they're institutional or retail, as well as their end clients, to look beyond the horizon, to focus on the long term, to go global, to diversify or cross opportunities, to be forward looking, and ultimately to capture future wealth for multiple generations to come. And at the end of the day, you know, that's what we're trying to do with Bizarred equity, mega trends or themes.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to end it. This was a fantastic discussion, Sars. Thank you again for joining us.
Speaker 3: Pleasure was mine. Thank you for having me and.
Speaker 1: Bri as always, thank you for being my co host.
Speaker 2: I never say no. David always one of my favorites, and this was a particularly engaged conversation, so thank you so much.
Speaker 3: This is good.
Speaker 1: I also want to thank our listeners. If you liked the episode, please share it, subscribe and leave a review, and if you'd like to see more of our research on the terminal, go to bi fund, go for fund and Active Research and BiH EM go for thematic research. Until our next episode, This is David Combe with Inside Active