Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with the latest on the war with i Ron. For the second time this week, the US has gone after Iranian military targets as both sides struggled to move ahead on a peace deal. A US official says for Iranian drones targeting a commercial ship were shot down and a launch unit near the straight of Horror moves was hit. Iran says it targeted the bases in Kuwait where the US attacks came from. All this as President Trump insists Iran wants to make a deal.
Speaker 4: Is very much intent. They want very much to make a deal. So far they haven't gotten it. We're not satisfied with it, but now we will be.
Speaker 5: We will be.
Speaker 4: Either that or we'll have to just finish the job.
Speaker 3: President Trump spoke at a White House Cabinet meeting heard live on Bloomberg Radio. Bloomberg's head of Middle East coverage, Suert Livingston Wallace, reports the president may be in a binding.
Speaker 6: Ran shown itself to have an exceptionally high pain threshold, and I suspect does consider this to be an ex essential moment for the regime, and therefore, you know, is not prepared to make a lot of concessions, if any concessions what we can see.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Stewart living Ston Wallace reports President Trump appears to be cut between Iran's demands for financial relief and ends who attacks and Republican hawks who are urging him to finish the job or at least not sign a bad deal.
Speaker 2: Nathan Now to the latest in the war in Ukraine. Vladimir Lensky is rejecting the idea of partial membership in the European Union, and a letter to senior EU officials, he argued that the country deserves full membership because its forces are defending the blog from Russia. Here's Zelenski speaking through an interpreter.
Speaker 7: We we understand that much of the wealth tension is currently focused on the war in Iran, but we must also end the war here in Europe, a bloody conflict that has now been raging at full scale for a fifth year. As soon as we can strength the protection against ballistic missiles, the sooner we can make diplomacy work.
Speaker 2: Selenski's comments come after German Chancellor Frederick Mertz suggested Ukraine could be granted an associate membership as an interim step before a full accession in the future.
Speaker 3: Well, now, let's turn to politics at home, Karen. Congressional Democratic leaders have lost a bid for a court order to block the Trump administration from prohibiting mail in voting for anyone who's not on a pre approved list of citizens. A federal judge ruled that the Democrats' legal challenge to President Trump's executive order is premature because the restrictions haven't been put in place yet. The order would ban the Postal Service from sending mail in ballots to anyone who's not on a government approved list compiled by the Department of Homeland Security Nathan.
Speaker 2: The Trump Justice Department has reportedly opened up a new investigation into one of the presidents perceived political enemies, and Bloomberg. John Tucker joins us with the latest John Good morning, Yeah, Good morning.
Speaker 8: Caeron the New York Times, reporting the agency has litpen a criminal probe into Ejene Carroll, the eighty two year old former magazine writer who won a civil judgment against the President that he sexually abused and defamed her well. This probe reportedly accuses Carol of concealing financial support for her case from LinkedIn co founder Reid Hoffman, who's appears Trump critic. The Justice Department has aggressively pursued investigations into President Trump's political targets, including the former FBI director James Colby and New York Attorney General Letitia James. The acting Attorney General Todd Blanche reportedly has recused himself from this case because he represented the President in Carol's lawsuit in New York. I'm John Tucker Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, John, thank you, and President Trump's filed the new version of his ten billion dollar lawsuit against the Wall Street Journal. The president sued the paper over a story last year that said he sent a body birthday note to Jeffrey Epstein in two thousand and three with a sketch of a naked woman and his signature in the middle. A federal judge dismissed the president's case last month, saying it came nowhere close to the legal standard for a public figure to claim defamation. The new laws suit accuses the journal it's reporters parent company now Jones and Chairman Emeritus Rubert Murdoch of publishing the story, either knowing it was false or with disregard for the truth. Several tech stocks are on the move this morning, including shares of Snowflake. They are surging in the pre market of nearly thirty five percent. The software maker signed a six billion dollar multi year agreement to use Amazon's cloud services and chips. Man Deep Sing is Global head of Tech Research at Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 9: For a company like Snowflake that has law of big enterprise customers to be able to use the Amazon distribution and the LM integrations they have and integrate Snowflake's data for agent ig functionality, that is how you make sure you don't get disintermediated. And I think that's why you see the positive reaction in terms of those stocks.
Speaker 3: Mandeep Saying with Bloomberg Intelligence says Snowflake also gave us stronger than expected annual outlook.
Speaker 2: Shares of Nebius there are more than eleven percent this morning. Nathan the investment and firm Situational Awareness has reported a five point six percent stake in the cloud computing services provider. Before this morning's gain, shares of Nebis were already up almost one hundred and fifty percent this.
Speaker 3: Year, and Karen. Shares of Dell are up more than four and a half percent. The Pentagon says Dell unit's one of nine point seven billion dollar contract to help the military handle its licenses for Microsoft software across the Defense Department and intelligence community. Dell reports earnings after the close of trading today, and.
Speaker 2: Shares of Salesforce Nathan they're down about one and a half percent. The company gave a revenue outlook that fell just short of analyst estimates, as unnerving investors already concerned about the possibility that artificial intelligence will disrupt the software business and Kier.
Speaker 3: We're also hearing from JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Diamond. He says his bank will probably spend about a billion dollars more this year than executives expected just last month. Diamond says the increase is mostly driven by better performance, so quote it's a good extra billion. Diamond talked about his bank's performance at the Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference.
Speaker 10: I personally think that right now we're over Ernie, And I know that's a hard concept, but you know, I think credit losses are the kind of normalize it, but they still still may be a little low volumes are very high, So remember you know, when you have high volumes, low credit losses and certain market we have today what's a probably over Ernie, you know, but our competition is also very good.
Speaker 3: Jamie Diamond also says JP Morgan's on the lookout for acquisitions, but he cautions the bank can be patient with capital.
Speaker 2: Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 3: Michael, good Morning, Good morning, Karon.
Speaker 5: The Democratic Republic of Congo is seeking access to an experimental antibody treatment targeting multiple ebola strains, as confirmed infections and deaths continue climbing in the country's east. According to the Health Ministry, they are reported one hundred and twenty one confirmed bola cases and seventeen confirmed deaths in Congo. Suspected cases climb to almost eleven hundred and suspected deaths reached two hundred and thirty eight overall. Doctor cheekway Hekuazoo is with the World Health Organization. He says they are quickly trying to get ahead of the spread by getting infected people in the treatment and isolated.
Speaker 11: What is always a game of cat and moss because we have to be we don't know where to come from, we don't know when, so we have to kind of continuously work with what we have in order to get to where we.
Speaker 4: Need to be.
Speaker 5: Ebola is spread through contact with body fluids of infected, sick, or dead individuals. Recovery crews are continuing to search for nine people who went missing when a tank containing a highly corrosive industrial chemical ruptured at a paper mill in Washington. State. Officials say that two people are known to have died in the accident and seven others have been injured. Washington State Governor Bob Ferguson says it has been emotional for the residents of Longview.
Speaker 3: You know, any time you're talking about that scale of tragy, that scope of tragy and that number of lives lost and injured, it's a pre profound impact.
Speaker 5: For community like this, Governor Ferguson. Officials say there is no chance of survival for the nine who are missing. New York lawmakers approved a revenue package that includes a new surcharge on price. He's second homes in the city. The levy is expected to take effect July first. The goal is to generate five hundred million dollars to help close New York City's budget hole. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael a time now for our Bloomberg Sports Update, and for them we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 12: Bes Darren is great a hitter as Joe Ayozani is. This season, he's been an even better pitcher at Dodger Stadium and hit a monster leadoff home run and on the mound he worked six innings, gave up a run but no hits. Lower to Zer to zero point eight two. The Dodgers beat the Rocky four to one. Carolina Hurricanes are now eleven and one in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They scored three goals in a span of less than three minutes, scored an empty netter, and won four to nothing at Montfreal. The Hurricanes leave the series three games to one. That's for Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Day Break coming up after.
Speaker 1: This Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. The war with Iran is now at the three month mark, and once again the US is going after Iranian targets near the Strait of Hormuz, even as President Trump says Tehran is desperate to make a deal.
Speaker 4: They're negotiating on fumes. But we'll see what happens. Maybe we have to go back and finish it. Maybe we don't.
Speaker 3: That was President Trump at a White House Cabinet meeting herd live on Bloomberg Radio, joining US now as Bloomberg Middle East correspondent to Bloomberg Horizons anchored Jumana Bursecci Jamana.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Are the latest strikes the US finishing it?
Speaker 5: Good morning?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Well, look at another test of the seas far the second time this week that we see an incident across the Strait of Hormones, but the US saying that they acted in a defensive capacity. They shot down four drones that were being directed at a US commercial vessel. They also went on to target a drone launching site in Iran as well, at close to the port of Bendarabas, which is very close to the Strait of Hormos. In return, Iran saying that they would stride back at US military base, and around the same time Kowaits reported that their air defense system had been triggered, and so perhaps you could infer that the Iranian response did come through on that base. There's been no confirmation of that matter. But the point is here that the US did say they were acting defensive capacity, that the seas far is still being upheld, and we truly are not seeing any further signs from both sides that they want to escalate this further or actually resume full scale military hostilities. And in fact, yesterday even irgc A spokesperson was saying that the likelihood of returning back to full all out war was low, but that they were ready for it if it does happen.
Speaker 3: Well, where does this leave things then, when it comes to the negotiations with the sort of tit for tat happening near the Strait of Horror moves is the straight the focal point at this point?
Speaker 13: Well, I think the strait and clearing up the Straight is top of mind, especially for President Trump. He made lots of comments about it yesterday. You just played a little bit of a clip he's saying, it's international waters, the Strait's going to be open to everybody. The US will watch over it. And this is i think a response also to some of the language that's coming through from Iranian media suggesting that Iran once again are insisting that they have a right to ownership, of a right to controlling the strait and establishing a new protocol in the future, even a joint system with Oman, which of course the President and eyed and rebuked quite quite aggressively yesterday he even threatened Oman. But that is one of the issues that they are going to be discussing and continue to discuss around the framework for progressing on the negotiations. And the first part of the deals we spoke about would be the lifting of the blockades around the Strait of Hormos, an extension of that ceasefire, and then every opening up of the nuclear file. But how to do it in a manner whereby the US aren't offering too many concessions to Iran upfront in the form of lifting of some of those sanctions and unfreezing assets. So that's the big question mark.
Speaker 3: Now, So what is the bind that the president's in right now with Iran continuing to insist on, you know, financial support and pressure in Washington for the President not to make a bad deal. We have about a minute laught.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, that's the thing. And you know they used to say in Brexit around the time of Brexits and no deal is better than a bad deal. And I think in this situation it is obvious that the president does actually want to go down the path of a deal. There were many opportunities in the past week where he could have gone down the military routes. He hasn't done that. He does say that and describe the Ranians as being keen to make a deal. And certainly there's been a big push diplomatically. Cutter are emerging now as a key mediator. The focus has shifted away from Pakistan to Kutar. They're working very hard. I think all golf Arab states have also changed their tune as well. So there is going to be a big push. But again, as we've been speaking about, in all likelihoods, we will probably get a framework for an eventual peace deal, not a fully fledged, comprehensive piece deal that is going to be announced on day one.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or manywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 3: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg day Break