Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: What Up, y'all and welcome back to Questlove Supreme. So, in Part one of our Conversation with Charlemagne the God, we discussed charlemagne'sjourney into becoming one of the biggest voices of our time.
Speaker 3: If you haven't, you should check that out.
Speaker 2: Also, don't forget Charlemagne is appearing live on the podcast stage at this year's Ruth Picnic, and.
Speaker 3: So is Quest Love Supreme. You don't want to miss that.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get back to it part two of our Conversation with Charlemagne the God.
Speaker 4: Because before it was just clips. It was clips that would lead you back to the dot com or leyo. Nobody's doing it dot com anymore, yo.
Speaker 1: All Right, So when that moment is happening, like I guess now you're hyper aware of this can be a viral moment where you know, a ten second rant could suddenly define you whatever. But as that moment's happening, like what's going in your head? Like is this about to be about to say some real old Morton Downey Jr?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm That's why I'm like, wow, No, But.
Speaker 1: I mean, like No, that was a moment where like the brawl on the Morton Downey Junior Show became like super viral. And then of course then there was about our studio, uh old boy Horaldo Richard.
Speaker 5: There was a brawl on Richard Bay before he was like yeah, he was like the Morton Downy really Jersey.
Speaker 1: So when that moment is happening, like, are you hyper aware now that of like one frame could be a jiff for life, like the the Soldier Boy Drake movement of those things.
Speaker 6: I wasn't you know, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: I remember that day because you know, we pre record all our interviews a day early, so we pre recorded the Birdman interview a day early and we aired it back on April twenty second. Everybody remembers what else happened on April twenty first, Prince Prince passes while so I remember being I was I was hosting the MTV Upfront. I remember being at the upfront getting the news that Prince died and I'm like, God, damn Prince died.
Speaker 6: Everybody.
Speaker 4: Then I'm like, we can't play bird Man tomorrow. I'm not gonna care about no bird Man interview. Like literally, my mindset. That's what I thought. I was like, nobody's gonna care. But then I said, different, crowd, it's only two minutes thirty seconds. I remember saying this thing. I'm like, name, he's only two minutes thirty seconds. We could throw it on at like seven and then get back to Prince.
Speaker 5: Even thinking like this interview is a bus. We don't got nothing usable.
Speaker 4: I thought it's Prince, Prince passed away. I'm thinking everybody and Mama is going to be on Prince.
Speaker 5: But we're of a certain age. Yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Put the interview out and I could be wrong. It felt like Birdman was the a side that weekend.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was like that was the same weekend Prince passed away. But my whole timeline is put some respect on it. Memes and see that's the other thing, right, you can you can know something's gonna go viral, but you don't know the life is gonna take on the internet comes something completely.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying, respect no, because you better do it now. I'd have made so many respects because in.
Speaker 4: My mind I'm thinking, like I knew he was gonna come up there. I knew he was coming up there. Wiley because you know, one of the record reps hit me like a couple of weeks before, and he was like.
Speaker 6: No, he didn't want me.
Speaker 4: He just said, Birdman wants to come on such and such date. He wants to make sure that you're there now listen. That's number one, but also number two, I know what I've said about bird Man. I'm self aware and now I'm not gonna act clueless like I didn't see that about like, I know the things that I was saying.
Speaker 6: And that's why before he even came in, if you notice, there's.
Speaker 4: Like an overhead view because I hold everybody turned the cameras on before he walks in, cameras I told him, I said, turn the cameras on before he walks in, because I just knew he was coming in on something and he ain't wait soon as he hit the doll. It wasn't no high I know nothing, y'all. Motherfucker's put some respect on my name. And because the interview is only two minutes thirty seconds wrestling, he was on air for forty if that. Because the interview starts with me saying power, Powerfire, Breakfast Club, Birdman talks and I'm like Noah, no, no, Birdman just came in here and checked all of us. Go ahead, get it off your chest, bird Man. And then that's that's when you know, led to this single file storm out.
Speaker 5: Wow have you.
Speaker 3: Ever been knocked off your square? And that went away on on mic.
Speaker 4: No I about to see I got pushed in the back of the head. But that's not enough. I mean, like, really, wait, an artists got pugilistic. It wasn't an artistic I mean, somebody came with a camera. This was like twenty eleven. They recorded it, though they put it on video. It was all world Star. That was full world Star. That's why that was full white Star.
Speaker 1: I was like an instant somewhere. I'm sorry, no, I'm playing, but.
Speaker 2: Like literally because you you seem like, of course they're edits and all kinds of things, But even with the bird Man thing, there's been so many situations you always focused.
Speaker 4: In a way. I'm glad you said that about the edits because I could edit all of that stuff if I wanted to. But it's like, what's the point I can't. You shouldn't be able as a personality to say what you want about people, not not let them get theirs off. So if I don't care if it's Beanie, Seagull, Master p Frado start, any of these guys we have come in there and and got at me. It's like I'd be I'd be whacked to edit that, and Beans too.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you talk about that incident? Do you guys know what happened? No, in Philly.
Speaker 5: You remember when Beans is like making all these rhymes about jay Z.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're talking about with searle Man.
Speaker 1: Yes, he felt a bet you you would have possibly appreciated it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, be Bean's had an issue at Hove and he called in. He called in my radio show on a Friday morning. I played it back that Friday and went crazy viow that weekend. I think Jay even got asked about it because he was on tour at the time.
Speaker 6: And then one day I got fired.
Speaker 4: Wait, you got.
Speaker 2: Fired because Bean said something in an interview about Hove.
Speaker 4: And that's where everybody says jay Z got me fired. I don't know if that's.
Speaker 2: True or not, because he would have got me fired for sam what I said to him in his face on the radio in Philly.
Speaker 4: What I think it was at the time. I think you had people in Philly. You know it's jay Zy.
Speaker 5: We all love.
Speaker 3: I mean it's the number one market too.
Speaker 4: I think sometimes people bring sacrifices to Jay, like here's a lamb, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like, Jay, here's a here's a gerbil for you. I bought. I did that his gold.
Speaker 4: So I think that was one of those things like Beanie said that about you on Charlomagne show he got rid of Charlotte. I think it was one of those things. Beans Yeah, I don't think it was a call like yo.
Speaker 6: Get rid of him from Hole. I don't know. It's not that petty. I just don't think so.
Speaker 5: But then where's your mind's like where do I go?
Speaker 6: You know what's so interesting?
Speaker 4: There's a lad TV interview I did right after I I think it was the day I got fired, and I literally said, this is just another stepping stone. I said, I'll be back on the radio and like a year or so, and you know, Scott's the limit, Like I literally say that. I say that in the lad TV interview and that's literally how I felt how I felt.
Speaker 6: You gotta think I already been fired four times?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got your speech already written. Number you told me you.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody till you get fired in the three times they say three day say if you get fired three No, they said, you're nobody if you get fired once.
Speaker 6: If you get fired three times, you're a superstar.
Speaker 4: S it is.
Speaker 3: Not today though, Yo.
Speaker 7: I would have asked you, man the ray J interview, son, Yeah, what was going through your mind while he's on the phone.
Speaker 5: Just man.
Speaker 4: We was almost off air, Like we get off air at ten. I think it was like nine thirty, and I remember Angeliue gets a call and it's our guy Billy and he was like, yo, man, I still didn't know what was going on, like ray J and Fab such and such and such, ra J wants to call in. I'm still like, you know, at the time, he's like, wants to call it right now. Him and Fab just got into it whatever whatever. So ray J just called in and that's what like that literally was. We was live at first, like we had to tell him to stop cursing and stuff like that, like, and then we had to say, hold on, man, we're gonna play the rest of this for y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 6: And then we recorded it and it.
Speaker 4: Became the Seven Rolls rooices and everything else you'll here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I keep telling them we need to get ray J.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best interviews and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You can't even script Man like the bird Man moment, the ray J moment, like that's just radio magic, Like like you don't script those, like you don't say, hey, this is going to happen today. Those are just those things that happen in live radio, and you just got to be prepared for it.
Speaker 7: Can you tell there's some uh there people that come up where you can kind of tell they may be kind of fishing for that viral moment, like they kind of.
Speaker 5: As a guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And and I've had people say that and then when the interview was over, they'd be like, that's gonna.
Speaker 6: Go on world stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 4: Luca Frederi, I remember, but I remember he did that, you know what I mean, because because the question I asked him.
Speaker 6: I asked him because he said it right.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was something he said about Brandy I think it was on a flat TV interview and I asked him about it and he got mad at me. But you you said it, you know what I mean? And so he turned up which I love because I'm an honest fan, you know what I mean. So I was happy to still see the Rye ray, you know, you know what I mean, I was. I was happy about that, right, So it was so but I remember when the interview was over, he was like, Yo, that's gonna that's gonna make some noise on world stuff.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, so you started wanting to be a super jock, then you became a super jock.
Speaker 3: Then what did you decide was next?
Speaker 6: Oh as far as what.
Speaker 3: What you were gonna do?
Speaker 2: Because you said you just as far as I knew before, you just wanted to be a super job. Oh so now you you became a super jobs. Yeah, I'm like, so do we say I'm going to have my own network.
Speaker 5: Show?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean definitely, because you know, the more you grow, right, the more you see So it's just like we always talk about, you know, there's levels to this, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the more you sin, you know, you start to meet new people, and you start to get a bird's eye view of the game and more opportunities, and you know, now you're getting opportunities that you didn't even think was was possible.
Speaker 6: You know, now you you really feel like sky is the limit.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's just like a few years ago when I saw how the game was changing as far as podcasting concern and you know, I've been on podcasts and earlier I started my podcast, Me and Andrew been doing bro for ten years. We actually just launched our first episode last week officially, but we've been doing it for ten years.
Speaker 6: It makes perfect right, Okay.
Speaker 4: So when I saw where the game was going as far as networks and everything, I was started looking around, like, man, there's not a lot of uh, there's no network for black podcas. Like there's no one place that you could take these black podcasters that are getting these views, but they don't have no infrastructure properly monetize what they're doing. I was like, Yo, that's what I want to create. I saw Bill Simmons was doing with the Ringer, and I'm like, I want to create that for us. So that's when I had the idea for the Black Effect, like three four years ago, was.
Speaker 7: That kind of what combat Jack was doing with.
Speaker 4: His exactly what combat Jack was doing, because I you know, God blessed the death luth to combat Jack.
Speaker 6: Chris Moreau.
Speaker 4: Chris Moreau is the first person to tell me, Yo, you need to write a book and you need to start a podcast.
Speaker 6: This was two thousand and eleven.
Speaker 3: That book thing is essential, Hans Charla May very very you.
Speaker 6: Know, but Chris writes books.
Speaker 4: So Chris has written, He's helped fifty cent russell Simmons like, he's up to a lot of different people write books. So he told me twenty eleven, you need to write a book, you need to start a podcast. I was arrogant at first with the podcast. I knew I wanted to do a book because I'm an avid reader, right, but I was like, why should I do a podcast? And I got my own morning show and he was like, man, trust me start a podcast. So I did, you know, and with Loudspeaker's network, and that ended up being brilliant, idiot, So it's me.
Speaker 6: Combat Jack and to read.
Speaker 4: And then when I started to see how creating a podcast gives you a whole other voice and it's a whole other platform, then I started seeing how it could actually be lucrative. Started bringing in other people that I thought were interesting to do podcasts, So you know, that turned into the tax Stones and the Angela Rise and then even like you know, Envy and his wife started one and you know you took lip service from Shade forty five and started doing a podcast, and it's just like then eventually Lobspeaker gave me a percentage of the company, so I equally important Arry, So I saw, you know, the other side of the podcast game from the executive side years years. Yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Like distribution in a way.
Speaker 2: Is that when you talk about those other companies like loud Speaker, Like I heart, I'm just trying to so so people who are listening to understand the formula of podcasts.
Speaker 4: And in a way, I think Loudspeaker provided a lot more infrastructure because people didn't even know what to do to start a podcast, you know what I mean. Like Loudspeaker had the engine room studios downtown, like they would tell you to come at this time. They had a producers there for you and everything, so they made it very easy. Then they had the ad sales team.
Speaker 1: So to start a podcast in twenty twenty three, what are the essentials to at least stick make a DMP?
Speaker 5: Like I know there's some people that just like record and you got you like you're making a TV show.
Speaker 1: Damn there, But yeah, like, what do you what is the starter's kid post pandemic starter kit one on one thing?
Speaker 5: Two jews in the corner killing your assurance car.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a great podcast.
Speaker 6: That is a fantastic.
Speaker 5: Pom No, that's just an essential part of any podcast. Let's talk about our mutual friend, all right?
Speaker 1: So weezy, Oh, I feel like she is on the verge of greatness as a solo act.
Speaker 5: Like what steps. Oh, I'm sorry, I'm just horrible decisions.
Speaker 1: Yes, one half of the horrible decisions. Right, so she about to cut a solo deal whatever. I'm treating it like it's the music thing. But what do you recommend that a person does.
Speaker 4: To I think number one, you have to be authentic meaning and I know that's such a cliche thing to say, but everybody in their mama is getting on these microphones and they're just talking nowadays. It's like, what do you actually have the offer that's different from everybody else?
Speaker 5: But how can you tell the difference between a provocatory All right?
Speaker 1: So look, academics is deal with rumble, which kind of just why in my opinion, you know, it's I know, people want to be provocateurs. You can tell people that are easy, like Okay, whatever buttons I should not be pressing, Let me press those buttons. But what is authentic in terms of like being a provocateur or being honest.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. I think the difference is I think somebody like Weezy, right, Weezy and man do with horrible decisions, their story is authentic. There were two people in the corporate world who were literally sneaking to do a podcast about sex. They didn't want people at their job to find out that they were having these conversations about sexual liberation and women empowerment and everything else. But it started getting so big that they couldn't hide anymore. But they told us this story every step of the way, like literally, you can go back the original episodes and hear them talking about sneaking off to do this, you know, from their jobs. Then it got so big that they were able to quit their their corporate jobs and just fully invest in horrible decisions. By the way, one of the best live podcast show, if not the best live podcast show.
Speaker 3: That's horrible Decisions.
Speaker 6: Oh, they're incredible.
Speaker 4: So to me, that's authentic, having like an authentic story and an authentic POV like another another example, I like to.
Speaker 6: Users to read Kid Fury and Crystal. I remember watching time like one of the longest decade.
Speaker 4: I remember watching Kid Fury on YouTube back in the day, and you always knew he was funny, you always knew he was smart, you always knew he had a star quality.
Speaker 6: Then he starts to read with Crystal, and you could tell that they're friends.
Speaker 4: They're just on there having two you know, authentic conversations talking about their experiences, like you just happen to know Kid Fury's a gay man from Miami and Crystal is a queer woman from Oklahoma. That's because they tell you this, But that's not the vein of their existence. They're just good at what they do. To me that that's the type of authenticness that makes for a good podcast. Nowadays, people think just because you got a name, you can launch a podcast. Both be the whackest ones and relationships. God, all these people and all the people that aren't in relationships with relationship podcasts, all these men who've never been married telling women what they should be doing, and.
Speaker 3: How many you got a couple of those shows on No, I.
Speaker 6: Don't have any I don't have nothing. I don't have no man's man sphere of podcast.
Speaker 4: Man man playing podcast on black effect.
Speaker 1: Actually to Jews in the corner would be a good weekend man. Listen, Yo Shan.
Speaker 7: I always wanted to ask you, man, because I don't think I've ever heard you speak about this in any interviews of platforms, specifically making it out of South Carolina?
Speaker 5: What is that like trying to explain to people you know?
Speaker 7: Because I mean, I'm from North Carolina, So trying to explain to people that you know, Like you said, you know, you have opportunities now that you.
Speaker 5: Never thought were possible.
Speaker 7: How have you adjusted, you know, knowing coming from where you come from to where you are now? Mentally, like, how do you make that adjustment?
Speaker 4: I don't know if you ever truly make the adjustment. I know I just started dealing. I just stopped dealing with HIMSI syndrome probably in twenty nineteen, because.
Speaker 5: You wait, I don't have to do that no more.
Speaker 8: You definitely to do that, Like I'm sorry, I forget effects.
Speaker 4: That's good because I think when you come from a certain extreme, like it never leaves you.
Speaker 6: I was raised on a dirt road in Monks Corner, South Carolina.
Speaker 4: The town I'm from the population with seven thousand people like we were.
Speaker 5: In Atown was from three thousand.
Speaker 6: We were in a double wide trailer.
Speaker 4: You know, me, my mom, my dad, my oldest sister, and my mom had three more kids like we When you come from those type of extremes, you don't.
Speaker 6: Ever really lose that or forget that, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's like for me, I never truly adjust, Like I said, I just I just started feeling worthy of being in a position I'm in, like in the twenty nineteen like and and that was just me saying it to myself. I probably really didn't get get to a feeling of worth until like the beginning of twenty twenty one, like like right after COVID.
Speaker 7: Because that was my next question, So how did lockdown did that effect?
Speaker 5: Like what what what changes did you make during lockdown?
Speaker 4: I mean I lost I lost friends during COVID because the suicide you know, like my good homegirl Jazmin Waters Jazz Fly, So that that put a lot of things in perspective because me and Jazz was two individuals who would have like conversations about therapy and you know things we might have been going through and it's just like to know that she couldn't make it through that that time, right, Like that was like whoa, you know? So I just came out of there feeling like, man, we made it through that. I'm going to just really embrace life to the fullest, Like I'm gonna really enjoy this process that that that that I'm going through. I'm enjoy this this ride that I'm on. So that that's what it was for me, Like that's that's what made me just not just have a sense of worthiness, you know, for myself, but just a sense of worthiness for life.
Speaker 6: Like I'm not taking any of this for granted.
Speaker 5: What was it like when you go back home.
Speaker 6: And I definitely can't.
Speaker 4: It's love, but it's not love from the people you want to get the love from, you know what I mean, Because it's people that you grew up with, you came up with. They might be upset over something you said in a book, you know what I mean. They might be upset over something they heard you say on.
Speaker 1: Air about you know, growing up years ago that you've evolved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, upset because Grandma, your grandma is like that that that little ma Calvy boy he really doing. He really does a lot for our community and stuff like that that might just make you matter.
Speaker 6: Fuck him. I remember him in high school. He wasn't shit, you know what I mean, you're.
Speaker 3: And he wasn't quiet. Used to talk on everybody.
Speaker 2: So people, it's definitely like that, damn it not that one.
Speaker 4: I used to get bullied, and then I went from getting bullied to being the bully because I got tired of being bullies, Like you can't be them, join them. So that day my glasses fell off for that final time and they cracked. I said, fuck them, I'm not wearing them the more because every other time they would fall on the ground, they'd be crooked. I was going to school wearing crooked glasses, you know, getting more, getting more bullied because the glasses were crooked. So after that, I was like, I'm done, you know. So I just started being the bully. But I mean it's a love, don't get me wrong, his love. But I do a lot from my hometown. Do a book bag drive every year. I do the Turkey drives every year. We do mental health initiatives, you know what I mean. I bring therapists and psychiatrists you know, to.
Speaker 3: March, Charlamaine.
Speaker 2: I'm so thankful for all your conversations about black men's mental health. Oh my god, I feel like it's a new era even in this room, as these men now speak freely about this stuff. I just wanted to say that as you were going down to the World College One.
Speaker 4: I did that last year. My man Jay Bartnett, he's a psychiatrist. He does his toy called the Just Hill bro Tour and it's him and some other psychiatrist therapists. I bought that, you know, the Charleston so people know I do a lot for the community. So I think it's one of those things where it's like I love them, but also I hate them a little bit too. And maybe I'm just exactly Maybe that's just in my mind. Maybe nobody hates me, and I'm just scared to go around. You know what I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 1: This happened once at my high school reunion where I did that whole Marty Mare pretty Ricky what they call him, had the list ready. You know, My date was tired. I would to suit and everything. I was like, give revenge when you all boys them in all I got there and yo, man, everyone was so nice, we're so proud of you, mirror, and I was.
Speaker 5: So mad like.
Speaker 1: Guys, like literally, and then I realized, maybe again, the voice in your head is your worst enemy ever. And I think maybe what I thought was everyone's opinion.
Speaker 5: Of me in high school is maybe the opinion I had myself.
Speaker 6: Absolutely and absolutely.
Speaker 1: That's when I realized, like, ah, man, like now I got to be friends with everyone, and like for real, I.
Speaker 5: Was a year like that's right.
Speaker 4: So it's just in the gym all that stuff, Like I was getting ready, and I think you got to remove yourself from certain things.
Speaker 6: That's the other thing that hurts too. Right. The other thing is.
Speaker 4: I know, if I come home, I can't go there because they're doing the same things we were doing thirty years right, right, you know what I mean. So I'm gonna be over here and possibly end up in a situation where I lose everything just to keep it real.
Speaker 6: If that's what I got to do to keep it real.
Speaker 4: If I got to hang out with y'all on the block and drink and smoke and all that, I'm cool on that. I'm not going there. I'm not subjecting myself to that.
Speaker 1: That's kind of one thing I wish I could lose because like my mom and my sister teach me to this day because they know like my addiction to like I won't waste a second to like hop in my car and just drive to Philly at like eleven pm just to sit in front of my childhood crib or go to my grandmam's block.
Speaker 5: Oh I do that, not even get out the.
Speaker 3: Car, but just like it ground It's like a grounding well.
Speaker 5: Chase, Chase ghost.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is because the thing was I used to always if you remember, like back in the eighties or nineties, you hear about like such and such sewing basketball player getting to an altercation with you know, someone at their old projects or you know what happened to Bobby Brown and his brothers in Roxbury Projects, And you're like, in my mind, as the as the outsider, I'm like, well wait, you're like blah blah blah Platinum Wars, Like, what the hell are you.
Speaker 3: Doing back at Survivor's remote. You're right, literally the show too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it's it's an addiction, Like I don't know why. I literally there was one point where like I got up at like maybe ten thirty in New York, drove the Philly just to get my Uh there's a fish sandwich for not punchies or fifty second Street, but.
Speaker 5: Bottom of Oh.
Speaker 9: I ain't been the bottom of his speed in a minute, Yo, Steve, you know you know what Steve is really?
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, we get.
Speaker 1: D'Angelo, forget Erica, like forget Steve's whole history is my engineer. Steve is by my side because Steve knows where all the bodies are buried, and I gotta get my every.
Speaker 4: I forgot about bottom of.
Speaker 1: The seconds at bottom of the see, I was like, wait, what you know about damn you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the potatoes.
Speaker 5: He's sugar.
Speaker 1: He sugar Steve because I gave him diabetes, like he literally got yeah in eight months, adapting to my DIETI.
Speaker 5: Between bottom of the sea and the church. Yes, yes, how the prayer soul food Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Staying Philly that long to get all the secret, ain't I got?
Speaker 6: I got incabibbles.
Speaker 1: Max's Max, All right, I'm evolvedvolved. Just say yes shout out to Max's Hello, I love you guys.
Speaker 4: That was like my grand My grandmother's house is still uh still up in South Carolina, Monks Corner, South Carolina, and I go sit on the porch, just the ground there, take my shoes off, walk through her.
Speaker 5: What about your parents? And they still my dad?
Speaker 4: My dad lives in Kidfield, South Carolina. My mom lives in Monk's Corner still.
Speaker 3: Like the yeah, you retire them or where they already retired.
Speaker 6: My mom was kind of always already retired. She was a school teacher.
Speaker 5: But it's like, yo, when you she let you retire, because my like they still didn't.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought about it, because when I brought.
Speaker 1: My mom's career, she she has just started unpacking boxes from like ten years ago. It was almost like I don't trust this and still didn't unpacked.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's like my mom won't.
Speaker 4: I don't know what she wants, you know what I mean, Like usually the things that she wants are for other people, you know. And I know, right right now, I'm gonna I'm gonna restore my grandmother's house, right because she got like one of those old school sovereign porch houses.
Speaker 6: Right, I'm gonna restore that.
Speaker 4: But she don't really they don't really ask me for anything, which is which is wild. Right, Well, my mom was an English teacher, so she kind of been retired. She substitutes every now and then, but she likes to do that, like, you know, she likes to get up and go substitute the class. You know, I don't want her in there a no more because these little kids is crazy nowadays, you know what I mean. And she's up in age, but you know, I don't think she wants to fully retire.
Speaker 3: You got two girls, four four girls now.
Speaker 8: Talk about at all the time, like all the time, a comical disaster.
Speaker 2: But as men, how does that change on that in new daily interactions all the time.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Oh it changes everything because because you know how they always say like the future is female, and it's like, yo, my future is female regardless.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's just like, you know, why not try to make the world a better place for women? Like it makes you listen more, which is something I think men historically didn't do a good job of. Right, So now that you've got a house full of women, at least in my life, I have I have no choice. I have to hear what's going on, whether I want to hear what's going on or not, right, And then, But historically in my life, I've always had more women around me than guys because my dad went from my dad went from telling me why why do you want to be? My dad would say, why you want to be around all these dudes all the time? Man's all these dudes right, like you do? They do nothing but to get you in trouble. So when he told me that when I was young, all I would do is be around a bunch of women. And then you realize, even when I used to throw parties back in the day, having a bunch of women at the party, all the guys want to come to the parties. You let women in free before eleven. Now you can hit the guys over the head, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Twenty dollars.
Speaker 4: That was a lot back then, people, you know I mean, but twenty dollars right. So it's just like I've always been around women, right, But I don't I don't know if if if I was always listening to them like I should have should have been.
Speaker 2: That's why I asked about the daughters, because you have no choice, like you could have been raised behind grandmothers and things.
Speaker 4: But daughters and the teenage, the fourteen year old, challenging me like no other.
Speaker 8: The energy is different. It's hard to explain, Like male energy is just like put on a helmet, run into the door. Like the women's energy is different. Man, it's not like that. They were like, just like gotta listen and make you feel so guilty about something.
Speaker 4: Everything guilty and stupid stupid as all, Yeah, guilty and stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's already is dad, Like, it's that level of they.
Speaker 8: Say actually all the time, as like no matter what.
Speaker 1: You say, actually, or.
Speaker 8: Basically as if like I'm a fucking idiot, and he told basically what's going on? This is like every sentence I got, Actually, Dad, that's right, basically, Dad, Like that's like over the all four of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and trying not the parent like like our parents. So then that, you know, because I always say my dad didn't parent with love. I think my dad parented out a fear. You know what I'm saying, This motherfucker is not gonna be like I was.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I don't want him to make none of the mistakes that I made, So I think, you know, just trying to parent out of love. Even answering those questions, like why, Like when you're a seven year old or four year old, ask you why.
Speaker 2: No longer do we say, don't ask why.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right, and that that makes you think because sometimes you be like, what is the why?
Speaker 6: You know, what is the why?
Speaker 5: My just parenting got my own anxiety doing what.
Speaker 7: I was done to me. That's right, that's what we always did.
Speaker 6: Like I grew up getting beaten. I'm not beating my children. You know what I'm saying, like get beaten? Nah?
Speaker 7: How is your marriage changed over the years and what or developed over the years since.
Speaker 4: Me and my wife being together for twenty five years? So we met in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 5: I don't have to make up my sound effects years.
Speaker 3: It's like fifty years entertaining sight.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: That was life.
Speaker 8: There you go, twenty five years a total waste.
Speaker 5: If I don't do one effect for this, thank you.
Speaker 4: But even with that, right, Like, that's what I was gonn say about my pops. I've always been the type person that I like being with one woman, right, Like I've always why having a rider for you, having somebody that's riding with you, Like I always thought that was the cool way until I caught my pops cheating and I'm like, I hit cheating on my mom. He looked me in the eyes and goes, you only got one girlfriend one day. One day you'll understand. One day you don't understand, you know what I mean. So in my mind, I'm thinking that's something wrong with having one girlfriend. So that's when the whole player things started off or trying year. But to be a player, No, that was way before the third This was I reme since ninety eight, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So this is way before that.
Speaker 4: But it's just like it took me, honestly, it took me until like twenty sixteen to totally get rid of that because I started to realize I'm becoming my father, right, So you're turning into what you hated, right, And not that I hate my dad. I just hated how he did our family, you know what I mean. I saw what his infidelity did and breaking apart him and my mother and what that did to my younger siblings, you know me, absolutely, and I didn't want that to be me.
Speaker 2: On the side note, I always want to ask us about to men to cheat and we all cheat because I'm I've been a cheater.
Speaker 3: But what if the shirt the shirt I knew it was gonna come.
Speaker 5: I knew it was going to come.
Speaker 2: But what I was gonna what I was gonna say is what if she What if what if she would.
Speaker 3: Have turned around while you were in the stage and been like.
Speaker 2: Well, baby, since you went the stage, why don't we just poly marit this thing for a second until you can get.
Speaker 4: A Because I not a idea with the Yeah, I'm not with the polonies.
Speaker 5: Out of the situation. Considered it too much work.
Speaker 3: Because she got to get her.
Speaker 5: Well no, no, there's a lot one. I'm just lazy and it's already doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like you still, like, no matter who, you got to deal with somebody, and when you deal with someone, you got to talk to them, communicate.
Speaker 5: With them, get emotionally connected. Now we're gonna ask somebody else. Yeah, And it's just too it's too much.
Speaker 1: And I think at the end of the day, it's also like you just get yeah, and this time my ego gets.
Speaker 6: The best of me.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, tell the truth for real.
Speaker 5: Like all of us want to be on some Drake Wayne, every girl in the world doing.
Speaker 6: But Drake can't even handle.
Speaker 1: That right, Yeah, that's almost the end of the episode.
Speaker 8: It's a book ending.
Speaker 5: Like I think at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Day, like we just get generally tired of getting cart and you know, racing shit, right, I got lazy. So it's just like, all right, no, that's not fair.
Speaker 4: And you find things that actually feed your soul and not your ego, because that's what I think cheating is, right, like nine times out of ten, when you out there cheating, you're really just trying to feed your ego.
Speaker 7: It's not about cheating, is not about I want to be with another person. It's about you want to be.
Speaker 4: But you know, another question too is can you handle it when your woman cheats on you?
Speaker 3: But that's why I was asking, because I was like, while you're.
Speaker 2: Out there, I don't want to know because men, I don't know if men think that why you're cheating, that a woman is fulfilled, because when we're not, if you're given to somebody else, I'm still horning.
Speaker 4: Your women are the most If you was with your woman in college, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Trust me, your woman had a life. Here we go all right out of your mind.
Speaker 4: If you think young woman didn't have a life in college is nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And then she hit Florida.
Speaker 2: It'll be like you better fulfill or she going because real Horny play.
Speaker 8: The track again.
Speaker 1: I can't even find it here, we go here, just a lady.
Speaker 5: Horn all right.
Speaker 1: This has been a long time coming. Thank you for having me, Thank you for having me. It's beautiful to see your your evolution and and how you're coming up in the world. Yes, I absolutely believe that you know you will be the new Byron is Yo. No too, hey, yo, that's a thing.
Speaker 6: Somebody said that to me this weekend.
Speaker 4: That's a thing.
Speaker 3: Can you take us what listen?
Speaker 5: Face Byron all just isn't the guy from real people back in If don't make Byron Island your ceiling is why I was right.
Speaker 6: You know who first told me I'm gonna be a billionaire? Dave Chappelle.
Speaker 4: Really Chapelle random He randomly said that, like five years ago.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you know what you can be a billionaire living your black truth? Like I am just so impressed.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I'm gonna tell you something. And I know you might say, like, well, that's easy said than done. Yes, I actually spend I hate that I'm getting real deep in like the last minutes of this podcast. My assessment in my last life in the last two years is that I spend more time thinking how can I sabotage something than I do letting it happen.
Speaker 5: And I almost feel like it's transported like little.
Speaker 1: I believe that we collectively as black people get these moments. But because we getting our heads of was blah blah blah gonna think? Is that not going to talk shit Like something happened to me like three days ago and I'm dreading this news getting out.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's some big, a good thing.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing, but you just.
Speaker 5: Read for the history sake would be a good thing.
Speaker 1: But if my first thoughts are a man like now, I was gonna talk like it's it's hard to get that voice out of your head, which is why, like I keep stressing on the show, like the importance of meditation and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: That's because we live in a world when you whenever you announce good news, it's always somebody ready to shoot your good news down.
Speaker 6: It's always ready.
Speaker 1: For half the time, it's us waiting for the other shoot ain't gonna last forever.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: I believe it is absolutely easy as hell to succeed. If we just for any person that has not truly succeeded, I will show your person that has somehow figured out a way to thwart or sabotage it subconstantly or or on purpose. I guarantee you I'm almost ninety nine per certain that this happened.
Speaker 6: How many times have you recommended the Big Leap on this podcast?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we need a book let.
Speaker 1: I'm actually on it, like not, I don't want to be that even then, Like I have a truth to share, but I'm so scared that everyone's like hear me goes.
Speaker 2: Again with you there, we've been talking about meditation since the COVID Like we're all different, we all Bob, and let's not let's not do that.
Speaker 4: I read the Big Leap because of quest. I saw a quests at this last year we got named as what was it that we awarded something for the most powerful media in New York or something or New York something like.
Speaker 5: There's an Illuminati room white people exactly, we.
Speaker 4: Were the only people about the blackness, That's right.
Speaker 6: So I go up to question and I asked, quess, I'm like, yo, how's everything.
Speaker 4: Changed since the you know, the Grammy and and when you ask somebody how they're doing better, be prepared to get her. And he gave me a real honest answer and it was about the self sabotage everything else. He was like, I'm reading this book called the Big Leap, and I ordered literally the next daybout it.
Speaker 1: Now I got one job, and that's just literally get out my own way.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 7: If I get out my own way, I'm here, that's it. I was gonna say, Man, I mean this is so. This is me and his first time ever meeting crazy. We were supposed to do is crazy. It kind of came full circle two thousand and five this I think you were in Colombia, Columbia and mister show.
Speaker 5: It just came out.
Speaker 7: We were going to do a radio tour and we had to do the next day we had to do the MTVu Awards whatever. Literally the day we had to leave was with my wife and the labor with my son. So nice they went and did the interview, but that was the time we were supposed to meet.
Speaker 5: But that was like the only every show.
Speaker 4: Because Pool we actually we did it. I had them host a mixtape for me. I think it was had Pool do some drops for a mixtape.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so yeah, that was like, yeah, that was what he was November two thousand and five. So so yeah, man, it's good for us to find.
Speaker 4: It's fantastic to me. I love I love Little Brother. What's so crazy is in South Carolina we didn't have no, we didn't have nobody to look to in hip hop as to look at them and be like, oh, I can do that too. But North Carolina had Little Brother and Pete Pablo and I used to go there and watch a Josie Mole Shelley B.
Speaker 6: You remember Shelley B.
Speaker 5: That was up the core Oud of Wilson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the homie like they got some m c MC that raps my favorite rapper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, she's that. She's will uh.
Speaker 7: Rock snow Hill, snow Hill, snow Hill Hill. Yeah no man, so no, So it was just crazy. I thought about I'm like, man, we was supposed to do this two years ago. Guys, we're literally getting kicked out.
Speaker 5: Of our house right now.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having on behalf of Charlemagne and Fan Tickeolo and like and to jews in the corner, that's gonna stick.
Speaker 8: Please, every game I've been given on the show sticks white bill, unpaid bill to the.
Speaker 3: Corner, white bill. You ain't never been.
Speaker 5: That was the first you were there. That's right. Thank you Charlemagne for doing this.
Speaker 3: Armagne give folks.
Speaker 5: Yes, the team just sent me. He says, thank you like he's he changed my life. So that's good. She is that I'm interviewing right now.
Speaker 6: Oh dopey.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we will see you on the next one around. Quest Love Supremio See you West. Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.