Speaker 1: I can tell you, guys, the saga of the squeaky shoe. I'm sorry, what what? I've gone on quite a journey with a pair of boots. Oh I know about these boots. You wore them to a con. You kept talking about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, I I uh as a squeaky belt, I do. The algorithm is just like nailed me so thoroughly that like every other thing on Instagram or like any ad.
Speaker 1: Is just boots. And I'm like, right, God, am I that predictable? Yes? I am that predictable.
Speaker 2: So for a while I had like my brand I'm not going to say brand names because you know, I just it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: Because they're not saying you yeah, well no.
Speaker 2: It's also just there's good, there's bad, there's all kinds of feelings. So I had like my go to company that I found like ten years ago.
Speaker 1: It was this European boot company, and I just loved their boots.
Speaker 2: But they would last about a year and a half a year, maybe a year, and then.
Speaker 1: You know what, I bet they're expensive.
Speaker 2: Like these were one hundred and fifty two hundred boots.
Speaker 1: Right, so not not only worth a year exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, That's what I started to realize is I was like, wait a minute, I'm fine because I would buy like two or three different looks.
Speaker 1: I got through two or three different boots. But I was like, but then they'd win. Yeah, you beat your beach boots and then your regular boots right X, your summer boots, summer boots, fall boots that go with shorts, right exactly, rain proof boot.
Speaker 2: No, you know what the secret to that company's boots were. They always had a zipper on the.
Speaker 1: Side, right, don't have to relate something big thing.
Speaker 2: So okay, so that was my company. That was my and then I had that realization. I'm like, wait a minute. I'm like I think I'm getting a deal here, but actually having to do this every year. So it's like I started looking into like there's this whole world of Pacific Northwest boots, which are like there's like boots four or five companies that have been around forever. They handmake all their things. You have to like special order, you get to pick the you know. But it's like we're talking then we're talking five hundred dollars plus for a pair of boots. And I like debated this over and over like conversations with Alex, like can I do this? Can't you know, can't I spend this kind of money on a pa.
Speaker 1: Am I fee worthy of a splurge? And call Zurich move some money around.
Speaker 2: And then a job came in or something happened, where like it was like I had done well, like i'd gotten I'd done well for the household. And it's was like, all right, if you're gonna buy the boots, now's the time. So I find the pair. You know, I had been going on websites. I mean, this is like free time. It's ridiculous. Now I just don't allow myself to do this. But yeah, okay, so I found the boots. I knew the thing, ordered took a while to get there. Finally get these boots, put them on my feet are killing me?
Speaker 1: Oh no. So they're like for like any women days.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh my god, what have I done. I've heard all these things are heavy, They're like, you know, they're so well made.
Speaker 1: I'm so impressed. But you've already spoken to Atticus who made them himself.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you know, I'm so yeah. Now I'm like, do I have to call Atticus? Is thisbbler. Immediately I'm like I have I'm just the biggest sucker in the world.
Speaker 1: Like I am just the biggest.
Speaker 2: Sucker in the world.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, like.
Speaker 2: What am I gonna do? Like I can't now. I just feel like such an idiot. I spent all this money and Alex Is like, well, look it up online. So I'm looking up and sure enough it's a thing. The first week.
Speaker 1: The first week sucks. Yeah, I gonna start.
Speaker 2: Pain and I'm like, God, this sucks, Like I have to, like I have to do this, yes, and then they mold.
Speaker 1: To your feet, ay three or four right a creative and.
Speaker 2: Like now I'm like I am Oh, I've been through it. I have been through it with these boots. These are these are my rider Die boots. Everything is great about these boots, except the metal goes off every time I travel. They're not metal toe. They's just enough metal in them because there's like nails and who the hell knows what they're putting it. But yeah, exactly, it's not so I can't travel with them, which is when you want your durable awesome a lifetime explain the situation. But still, you know what I'm gonna I'm just gonna take my shoes off.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be worth it, right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I was in Ireland two weeks ago catching up with some of my old friends and uh, we got into a shoe discussion and I started telling because I had brought them all the way because I knew we were going to do some hiking, and I was like, I'm bringing the real things. I'm going to take them off at the TSA. I'm going to deal with it whatever. And I'm bragging about the boots and they're like looking at them, were like, yeah, the And then.
Speaker 1: We take a walk and we're walking and we all three of us hear this.
Speaker 2: And they're like, what's uh, what's it?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, it's uh, it's my left boot. It's squeaky. And we did a lot of walking on this trip and.
Speaker 2: I was like I spoke too soon. My squeaky boot.
Speaker 1: Was like there was it was all I could hear, and it was a person on your trip.
Speaker 2: And now I came home and I was like, no, you know what I hear baby powder? You just baby powdered on the inside. No, I can't get rid of the.
Speaker 1: Squeaky I don't know what to do. Guys, I still love these shoes. No, I've tried all different kinds of socks.
Speaker 2: I mean now my next step is like a leather conditioner that I can like put on there. But like I think it's just I don't know. But like, do I do I send it back to Atticus?
Speaker 1: Do I say? I think? I think you need to call Atticus and say I think this boot is haunted? Right? Does the tree they cobble in have cell service?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I got to I've got to send a telegram or messenger.
Speaker 1: She was speaking stop in condition.
Speaker 2: It's just I just because my immediate thing is like, oh, I guess I got to buy another pair or pay for them to repair it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, how much am I investing in these boots? I love them? But how they get you? That's how they get you. How they get you.
Speaker 2: It's the some cost fallacy, right, It's like, because I spent so much money, now I feel like I have to.
Speaker 1: Keep get to you. But here is the truth about what, at least how the way it should be when you spend really good money for a high quality product. The truth is you should be able to call the company and say love it love these boots. I am extremely loyal to the brand. Now, a couple of things. One, do you make a boot that won't make me take my boots off at TSA travel? You know? Can I can I keep my boots on?
Speaker 2: Is there?
Speaker 1: Do you have a less metal version? And if they say no, you're the first person to mention that, then say could you think about it? Because I am real loyal to this brand, but the one problem for me is that I set off the metal detector. And then two, a boot I've now had for X number of months is squeaking? Is there something I can do? Do you have any recommendations leather conditioner? I've tried this, I've tried that and see what they say. They may say, ah, here's the perfect solution for it, or they may say, well that's interesting, never heard that before. Send it back to us. We'll fix it for you. But you deserve a level of customer service at a certain price point that I think is okay for you to just kind of expect to be there. And if you end up being terribly disappointed, well then these are just not on my podcast.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Have you tried w D forty your entire foot it's your foot. Maybe it's just squeaky foot.
Speaker 1: By the way, I should my foot off to make the work.
Speaker 3: Just first of all, the pain in your feet for the first couple of days is something that men very rarely have to deal with, but apparently in the women is to the point where whenever Susan gets new shoes and we go somewhere, she'll put on the shoes, look at me, and go the clock has started, yes, meaning we have an hour and a half for dinner.
Speaker 1: Because after that, those are dinner shoes. Those are shoes that are only acceptable to wear to dinner because you can only wear them from the valet into the restaurant and then out of the restaurant back to the valet. That's what I'm learning. Yeah, But the other thing we like to do is buy a pair of shoes. The other thing I let. Yeah, of course, when you're in your dinner shoes, you can't walk on the street, you can't take your extra steps when you're in your dinner shoes exactly. But you you buy a pair of shoes and you put them on, and you wear them around the house for a few days, so that you get the blisters and the pain and you wear them out in your house like a week or two before your event, so that hopefully on the night of your event it's not so bad. I will have a squeaky bet as well. You want a whole outfit? Wait? Wait, how does your belt squeakly every time you take a step or something just moving multiple places. I've been with you a few times. I've been like, oh, you're were in the squeaky belt, and You're like, yeah, it's my belt. You got to get a new belt at that point, Like I got it. I don't know if you know. Will, I got a target. It holds my pants up. Conversation and the conversation. He has a belt.
Speaker 3: It's not only that, but if you turn it this way, it goes from black to brown in.
Speaker 1: One Yeah, but you can, okay anyway. I just want I just I just would like that when we are all together next, I would like to be miked and I want to have you on one side of Will's squeaky belt and riders squeaky shoe, and I'll be dressed like a fifteen year old skater boy exactly. Just this one. Spent seven dollars on two belts in one and this one's five hundred dollars on boots and squeaks. So wow. Anyway, Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Daniel Fishl, I'm Writer Strong, and I'm Wilfredell. Welcome to today's episode recap. It is season five episode twenty Starry Night. It originally aired April third, nineteen ninety eight. The synopsis when Tapanga goes to an art exhibit with Angela, she meets a charming guy who threatens to break up Corey and Topanga forever. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Barry Safcheck. Not only his first Boy Meets World script, it was his first script ever. He'd continue to write on the show through season seven, and has since went on to produce and write for shows like Weeds, Sullivan and Son, and Grayson Frankie. Do you guys remember Barry? Of course, yeah, of course, yes, we sure did. We saw him at Matt's funeral not that long ago.
Speaker 3: His wife was also, we'll get into it, did a couple episodes on her show as an actor.
Speaker 1: She's already done one? Was she already did one? Okay, yeah she was, So he was already.
Speaker 2: Around I guess by season four because he was friends with Michael, so he was already sort of around, hovering joined. I don't think he even was in the staff this season.
Speaker 1: Oh really, do you think this was like an outside script? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he might have gotten the script and then when Yeah, but but he was always around, like I feel like, yeah, those last the last three or four years of the show, he was around. Yeah, and his wife Ricky, Yeah, Ricky right was her name?
Speaker 1: Ricky? Yes. Well that's so confusing because in this Starry Night episode we've got Jonathan Jackson playing Ricky. But before I get into that, what are your overall thoughts, gentlemen, squeaky gentlemen, beautiful episode. I think this is Jeff McCracken's just it's gorgeous and blocking in the museum camera move monkey bars so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, And then I just couldn't stand everything else the storyline.
Speaker 3: I disagree with you entirely. I thought it looked terrible. I thought it looked terrible. I thought the the the the the outside fine, the outside time glowing art.
Speaker 1: The art museum looked bad. The actual museum, dual.
Speaker 3: Museum looked like there's white walls and then you put paintings up, let's shoot it. It was so white and ridiculous, to the point where Danielle at times looked superimposed. It was I and then the storyline and everything about it was this was one of the favorite episodes.
Speaker 2: I found it super intentional, like that that look and that feeling like it felt like it felt like the characters are entering like a void to have a discussion, like I thought it was actually very cool, like and you never could you never felt like centered, Like you never knew where you were in the museum. It was like it was like to me, it was the perfect way to visualize what was happening there was like you enter this space, you never know where you are, you never like I don't know it actually was effective, maybe not, but it felt it felt like non sitcom staging.
Speaker 1: It felt like non sitcom blocking. It felt like really bad soap opera staging.
Speaker 2: Maybe the whole like a soap opera to me, that one right at that, But but I'm just talking about visually. I liked the break from sitcom into this weird like void space for these conversations, and it was it was just cool to see, Like I like that and then.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yeah, I thought the jib stuff outside on.
Speaker 2: The monkey Bars was really pretty great and and even like the me and Ben and the old timey photos. I know, so there was a lot that I liked as far as just the look and feel.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, really just a frustrating episodes.
Speaker 2: Like and yeah, really hard to wrap my head around and get comfortable with.
Speaker 1: And it's a bummer, man. I just I guess I'm just not in the cory to bank account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore because now they're just together, right or I don't know, I guess we still write on the album.
Speaker 3: But the whole destiny, you know, all of it, we've talked, so that to me is also the destiny thing I've just kind of given up on.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, okay, fine, that's great. But when they bring in now.
Speaker 3: This new character that's like a caricature of everything to Pangus should let I'm taking a year off in Faris because of seventeen and working with blind puppies, It's like, oh, the Love of God is a real person.
Speaker 2: It was real.
Speaker 1: It was definitely in my opinion, it was definitely written by a bunch of men who had to imagine what a woman would want, what a women want. They want this guy. They're sensitive and they're like grdis types.
Speaker 2: Here he is.
Speaker 1: It was the whole episode was full, the most melodramatic episode, and it really again bums me out that I feel like we were really missing a woman's voice writing for this storyline for Topanga. And I know there were women on the writing staff. We have more women this season than we had ever had, but maybe they were women who came in in season five and didn't necessarily know Topanga very well or us. Really no tongst.
Speaker 2: Angela episode ever agreed to is un and every time she opens her mouth, I was like, thank God, Like somebody's talking like a human being. Somebody's getting left, somebody has character and perspective, is reacting to things like Corey and Topanga are both just like these heady concepts walking around thinking like that's all this episode is. And it's like what And it feels like one person having an argument with him or herself himself and like that's all it is, Like I mean, it's I mean we talked about in.
Speaker 1: The earlier episodes.
Speaker 2: I was like, what where the consistency of like what Corey thinks and what Tapanga things and how they feel about it is just seen by scene, moment to moment, completely up for grabs, and it's just like, right, this is just therapy. This is just somebody talking out like how to think about love and God and relationships, and it's just like having a conversation with yourself, and it's just like and from moments, I'm like, but this doesn't make any sense, none of us.
Speaker 1: So it's just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I want to say about Trina, And it was what I was thinking I was watching, and it is such a backhanded, egotistical compliment for myself. It sounds ridiculous, how I'm gonna say it, But every time she ca it was like she was the breath of fresh air that.
Speaker 1: Eric usually brings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, so she would come on and it was just like, just like you said, Ryder, it was like, oh, okay, okay, like someone grounded in reality.
Speaker 1: It's actually part of the world. And so is so good the standout highlight of this episode in every single moment, I couldn't agree more, hands down the best. So let's get into our guest stars. We have teen heartthrob Jonathan Jackson as the debonair artist Ricky Ferris. It's his first of two Boy Meets World episodes, and our listeners know Jonathan from his first job ever on a movie we recapped, nineteen ninety four's Camp Nowhere. He would later appear in Christopher Nolans Insomnia, and he'd played Jesse Tuck in Tuck Everlasting. But he's best known as Avery Berkley on over one hundred and twenty episodes of Nashville and Lucky Spencer on over four hundred episodes of General Hospital My God, a role he just recently returned to. He is also singing and touring all over the place, most recently as part of a Nashville reunion.
Speaker 2: So he was already doing General Hospital.
Speaker 1: When he came on. Yeh, he had already won like an Emmy for General Hospital and he came on.
Speaker 2: Okay, it makes perfect sense, right, bring this, Bring the soap opera actor for the episode.
Speaker 1: Correct. And then we have Randy Thompson as he's been seen on tons of TV shows including Home Improvement, Ellen, Ally mcbeil and mad Men. We have Stephanie Patton as a toddler. It was her first acting job ever and Her next job would be as Britney Baker, playing Mary McCormick's daughter in the movie Deep Impact. She would later show up on the Bernie mac Show, Yes Dear, Cold Case and Medium, but it appears she got out of the business in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: So wait, you said this was her first thing ever. Yes, okay, and Lintle answers my question. I thought she was, I thought when she runs by and he goes to Panga. Yes, I thought they brought the little girl back who played little to Panga right now, and that's what the joke was. I was like, oh right, and so okay. That answers a question.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask them, no different girl. And then we have Joanna McCracken as Joanna Jeff's daughter in the museum. She's the girl who has one line at the looking at a painting. And then we have Katie Stern as girl and that's her only credit ever. Okay, girl. So jumping into our recap, we find ourselves in the park near a playground where some kids are playing. We land on Corey and Sean, who were sitting on a bench.
Speaker 2: So I didn't remember remember like when we saw this set in the previous episodes.
Speaker 1: I thought it was an.
Speaker 2: Told us and then here this is then here and I hear I shot on it.
Speaker 1: No recollection of it. Where this is?
Speaker 2: This is somewhere on the CBS Radford lot, I guess, but I think it's over.
Speaker 3: So like if you came out of our dressing rooms, took a right, took another right past third Rock from the run, and went all the way down to the bungalows on the left, and I think on the right hand side there was like a little area that was kind of like a suburb area quote unquote. I think that's where we shot over there. No, no, no, so the park the parking lots here. So if you came out of our dressing rooms and you took a left and with pass segn felt, oh right, keep going past that and another left you go to the gate.
Speaker 1: But if you kept going straight, that's a suburb suburb. Yeah, but I think there's a park there. There's a little park there. Yeah, yeah, gosh, pretty sure. That was a great lot. Actually that might. I love that lot. That was the absolute best.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was close to Chan Change. Yeah, it was also close to Noah's Bagels and uh depars was across the street. There's a coffee being nearby. All my favorite things. Just love that. I love that lot so much so. Sean admits, I'm proud of you, Corey. We've been here for a full minute and you have not once mentioned to Corey interjects, I'll never forget the first time I saw her, Sean. Sean rolls his eyes. Oh, here we go. Corey begins his story. I was over there on the monkey bars and we get this is I guess, another rewriting of history, or is this just now where we're going to hear for the first time? Really, how Corey Intopanga met on the playground before Corey met Sewan and the Lama pen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I can't keep track anymore. I thought they said something about a sandbox at one point.
Speaker 1: I think, definitely a sandbox. You're right, definitely a sandbox. And there was a story of being in strollers and being love. Yes, so who knows you wouldn't be in the stroller. I guess you could still be in the stroller over three, but and it would be such a good joke if they leaned into that.
Speaker 3: Right when we met on the bunky bars, I thought it was the sandbo was the sandbox.
Speaker 1: Or I mean it would have been phenomenal, but well before TikTok, Sean is perfectly lip syncing every word and expression. As Corey continues, I was crying because I didn't know how to get down, but she gave me the courage to jump. I do enjoy these moments where you, guys, this was fun say the same things over and there's a lot of physicality which makes it very cute.
Speaker 3: It is you said you don't remember being on the set at all. Do you not remember choreographing this with Ben even a little bit?
Speaker 1: Huh No?
Speaker 2: I mean this the second I saw it, I was like, oh, yeah, I would totally do this like this. This is something that Ben and I would have had so much fun with. But I don't actually specifically remember this want you know, but yeah, this all feels of a piece of like, oh, this is my acting relationship with Ben, is that we could do this with our eyes. I knew exactly how he was going to say it every time, and it was always just so fun.
Speaker 1: Sean doesn't miss a single beat, copying every reminiscent detail to a tea, then a little girl walks by. Corey reaches out for her Topanga. The girl is terrified and scurries away, shouting for her mom. Sean yells at him to stop. He tells Corey he's being ridiculous, and Corey reminds him, we were supposed to go to the museum today. Topanga was really excited about this new van Go exhibit. He assumed she went without him. Shawn's amused, No, you're there with her right now. Why don't you tell the monkey bar story again? Because I want to see if my head will actually explode. Corey asks if he's just a clown here to amuse Sean, giving a light nod to the movie Goodfellas. Sean reveals that Angela went to the exhibit with Tapanga. Corey shouts back, well, I was supposed to go with her. He camped out overnight at the Philadelphia Museum of Art to beat the rush for tickets, and in the morning he was the only guy online. Do you remember do you remember those conversations right about it being online or online? Then you said it. I was like, oh my gosh, I remember those conversations really, because.
Speaker 2: East coast, East coast line and West coastline in line here.
Speaker 1: Really, okay, you're waiting in line? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And now, of course online you know it.
Speaker 1: Means it means the internet, but you still right.
Speaker 2: You would still say I was I spent two hours online waiting for something.
Speaker 1: It depends. Now, see you just change it if you add waiting.
Speaker 3: I think it changes where if I am online, that's one thing, but it's I'm waiting in line. I think both of those are now. But when you were grown, I would just be like, no, I'm online, right, I'm waiting. Then I'm waiting in line.
Speaker 1: You're waiting in or you're just on it? Correct? Gotcha? Yeah? I love I love the weird rules. I'm going to write writing it down. Sean points out that he was also the only guy online. Corey Size says Philadelphia is a cultural vacuum. Sean smiles, That's why my people settled here.
Speaker 2: The transition was like, that's I just love when Sean's so confident about his you know, his.
Speaker 1: Background, that proud we haven't had yet.
Speaker 2: We haven't had it for a while, you know, while since we've had like all a fourth season was like trailer park Sean and like proud of his poverty, and we haven't seen that, so it was cool to see, like, ah, that attitude come out.
Speaker 1: It's funny. The boys sit on the bench in silence, staring off into the distance. Then we're in the Philadelphia Art Museum. We get a transition, turning the boys on the bench into a sepia toned photo with Corey and Sean now dressed in old timey clothes like a paper.
Speaker 2: Boy or somebody still really like I would I would pay a lot of money for that.
Speaker 1: I could have that frame photo.
Speaker 2: I just loved it. I was like what taking it?
Speaker 1: I was like, that is so great. It's got to be somewhere. Let's reach out to Blazer yea, let's reach out to him.
Speaker 2: That was like one of the first times I saw a prop and I was like, I really really want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm having a yogurt cup delivered next week. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: They're gonna cho mountain in your backyard.
Speaker 1: The backyard. Oh, there's a paper boy hat, a vest a top hat and high rain boots. But they're sitting on the same park bench. This picture is hanging in the Philadelphia Art Museum. Do you remember taking the picture? Writer, No at all, No, but I love this stuff.
Speaker 2: I've always loved like old timey photographs and dressing up for stuff like this.
Speaker 1: You have a great one of your family like hanging in your house.
Speaker 2: But I can't believe that I don't I don't know remember doing this. I mean it just goes to show like production days were just so hectic, like I know, and this wouldn't have been something we've rehearsed. So what I you know, what I remember is rehearsals and the and the day of you're like, oh, quick, we need rider, bend over here, get in this, change quick, take your book, like move on, and so I'm just like, that's you know, twenty minutes of your life and then you forget it.
Speaker 1: So totally.
Speaker 3: I have a question about this joke because I didn't fully understand it. Is it supposed to be that Tapanga sees Corey and Sewan because Corey is on her mind all the time, And if that's the joke, I thought they were going to cut back when Angela sees it and it was going to just be two guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's actually Corey and Sean, So I don't necessarily understand what the joke is. Silas Matthews and Ebenezer Hunter. Right, but they look so much like Corey Matthews and Sean Hunter. I guess I didn't get the joke.
Speaker 2: No, I think, well, it's you know, absurdist, but but I do think it kind of plays into the themes of the episode. Is like seeing what you you know, interpreting the pictures. I like the I like what you're saying. Like, I think if we had had photoshop or or two other actors, yeah, they I think it would have been nice if one Angela looks at it and squints, you see it again from two different people, that would have been cool. Like, I agree, I think that's more clever. But yeah, yeah, I kind of took it as like, I don't know, it's just okay, it's surreal.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it. It was totally just me. I didn't understand the joke. Tapega reads the title of the picture silas Matthews and Ebenezer Hunter founding Fathers. A confused, Topanga and Angela studied the picture very closely. Tapega admits, I was supposed to come here with Corey. Everything reminds me of him. Angela continues to stare at the picture. Perplexed, Topega can't hold it in. I miss him, Angela reminds her, You've been waiting forever to see this exhibit. Tapega didn't even hear her. How could he talk to another girl all night? How could he kiss her? Angela in the World's Biggest sweater in case you forgot, she was about to have a baby in real life, reiterates Corey said it didn't mean anything. It's still not making sense to Topanga, he kissed another girl? How could it not mean anything? I should have left him up on those monkey bars. Angela snaps her fingers to protest not the monkey bars story. Tapega can't help but smile while reminiscing, I was in the sandbox. Oh sandbox. Oh he had a part of sandbox. I was in the sandbox and I saw the cutest little, curly haired boy on the monkey to Panga turns to see Angela mimicking her story and body language perfectly, just like Sean did earlier. To Pega size Okay, just forget it.
Speaker 2: I've already lost track of like where core and to Panga are at, because it seems like Tapanga ended the relationship pretty confidently. Yes, she did, and not because of the kiss, right, Like, so for her to bring up the kiss now it's like she brought it. She was like he wasn't sure and so that destabilized. Like, really, the way the last episode ended was I believed that we were meant for each other, and the fact that you needed to go spend, you know, go on the other day with Lauren indicates to me that that's probably not the case and that we're actually so it's and then now she's sick, and don't be upset about the kiss, like you're upset about you You broke open this notion of destiny, like you thought you were meant to be together. The fact that he wanted to go be with this other girl and had a good time. So I feel like Tapanga should start this episode being like it sucks, I'm sad, but it's the right thing to do because I've made this she put herself into positions.
Speaker 1: Were not right for each other. Obviously right, that is exactly where she should be and it is exactly by the way, one of my biggest issues with the whole episode is like there are things to bank is making very clear throughout this episode that loyalty is the most important thing to her, not just in another person, even for herself. She is fully broken up with Corey, and even then she's saying, it's gonna be so weird to go out with someone else. I still feel like I belong to Corey. If I go out with him, that really means it's over. Like loyalty is so clearly important to her, and yet she's in a relationship and she's completely hung up on somebody who has shown her he does not have loyalty as one of his strong suits at all, at least not in their relationship. He does for Sean, he does not for their relationship. So yes, I wish she was saying, you know, I really thought it was so sure that we were meant for each other, but he obviously wasn't as sure. And I want to be with someone who feels about me the same way I feel about them, and it's okay, it's all right, I'm gonna but no, we're not.
Speaker 3: No, I thought the same thing, if if, because they also could have had another very cool not B story, but an a minus or sub a story going on where Sean and which shows Sean and Angela really bonding over this because they both want to get Corey and Topanga back together. So if you reverse it, and it's it's Angela going like you were supposed to come here with Corey and Topanga going, can we please, I don't want to talk about him.
Speaker 1: We're I'm moving on, I'm having a great life.
Speaker 3: That it changes the whole thing, and then Sean and Angela do a drive byke this ain't work and we gotta try something new, all right, so you have to do you know, but it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it was now we're gone backwards again with Topang.
Speaker 2: It's just think they just wanted to get the exposition out about what happened, you know, like because obviously people who order and whatever, so it's not serialized. So but you have to establish that he cheated and that that's like the st but but that isn't the source of the trouble. Like you can get through that exposition and then have her say, I'm you know, it's it's not about kissing somebody else.
Speaker 1: It's about the need to see somebody else, or.
Speaker 2: You know, like what was I guess I guess the problem for me is that that journey was just so spelled out like that that it wasn't the cheating, it was the line, and it was a letter, and then the need to.
Speaker 1: See her dead.
Speaker 2: It was like stepped that out through three episodes to very clearly specify what it is that bothered to Panga, and so for her to be bothered now about the kiss, you know, talking to him, No.
Speaker 1: I know, there's also so much more depth than what actually bothered her. Then yes, it's a nuanced we you know.
Speaker 2: This episode just takes a sledgehammer to the entire relationship because it just becomes about destiny or and it meant to be together.
Speaker 3: The only word that was going through I had the entire time watching this episode was cartoony.
Speaker 1: Everything was cartoony.
Speaker 3: They just took everything and it was just yeah, just became a big caricature of the whole relationship. Again when he comes in and is just like this two D image of the guy with the earring and.
Speaker 1: What do you think of this? It was just like, oh god, it was just bad. Nearby, two other girls are admiring a van go painting. Tapanga and Angela walk up behind them, and Topanga is obviously captivated by the piece. The other girls leave unamused. Topanga stairs at the van go, but something else catches Angela's eye. You want to talk about emotion, check out the motion coming this way. It's a mystery boy and a blazer making a bee line for Tapanga. Angela admits, Oh lord, I forget my name. She introduces herself, Hi, I'm Nancy or something, which all the energy.
Speaker 2: I was like, she does it every time.
Speaker 1: I was like, yes, I know, and it's so good, and yet it's supposed to be Topanga who's being swept off her feet, and it's just like, I just.
Speaker 2: I really hope that they give because I like, I feel like, up until now, they have not given Trina like this much to do, Like she needed to drive the scene. She doesn't need to drive the comedy. She's always reactive. She's always kind of eye rolling at Sean or Corey or whatever. And when they give her this, it's great. She's Oh, you're a great sickcarm actor. And I don't think she got many opportunities, even for the rest of the show, but this one was fantastic. I was like, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So he smiles. Is your name Topanga? Angela interjects, Angela, my name is Angela, but I already have a boyfriend. The boy continues to smile at Topanga, so Angela catches on, Oh you mean her, Topega tells the boy that is her name. He introduces himself as Ricky Ferris. I'm sure you don't remember me, but I certainly remember you, he says. She changed his life forever when they were about six years old.
Speaker 2: What is it with the Why does it have to be rooted and like being a chocolate? I just wonder.
Speaker 1: I don't get it. It's such a weird.
Speaker 2: Trope, like why why does he also have to have this like playground? My brain just exploded. I was like, what what I know? I just haven't been from twelve this.
Speaker 1: Last year, or you were in front of me at the coffee shop and I.
Speaker 2: Was at the French that when you were pretending to be a French person at the one time I was at that party, I talked to you anything.
Speaker 1: Just come on, I know, it's like years old.
Speaker 2: It has to be like rooted in, like destiny, have it like this past.
Speaker 1: When you're seventeen, it already has to be a past.
Speaker 2: And talking about whether they're gonna have kids and move to an When.
Speaker 1: We were six and you hit me with the softball and then said, I want to live in a big suburban house with skylight. What do you look for in a life partner? That's what seventeen year olds are really concerned with. Well, I am six year olds? Six year olds?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Oh did this writer? Because this is what I was thinking about too. As I was watching, I was thinking about you did.
Speaker 1: This pass the Cagny and Lacey test. What's it called the.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: The only scene is is core I mean, uh to Panga and Angela and they're only talking talking about.
Speaker 1: The whole time.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Topanga surprised. I did Angela questions she did. Ricky nods. You ended my little league career. Hit me with a fastball so hard on my left cheek. I think I still have a mark there, but you don't want to see that to Penga giggles. But Angela is dead serious. I do, Ricky continues. You were the one who helped me realize I was more of an artist than an athlete. That's Angela.
Speaker 3: That's six because you got to determine your whole life.
Speaker 1: And you've definitely thought about am I an artist or artist athlete? I mean if I had the amount of nights Adler and I have stayed up at night talking about, Oh, we have to choose yet. He's only five five and a half, but we are stressed about it.
Speaker 3: Now you get a baseball in one hand and a paint brush in the other.
Speaker 1: Shoes, what are you going to be in life? Son, Angela encourages her friend. He owes you make him pay to Penga simply responds, I'm sorry, and I promise to never hit you on the tush with a fastball ever again. A suave Ricky responds, why don't you make it up to me by seeing the Van Go exhibit together? To peg is a bit taken aback, so Angela speaks up, I'll go check out that painting over there, entitled go with Him. He's cute. Now with Angela gone, to Pega and Ricky admire the Van Go from earlier, He's in awe. I can't believe it's here under this roof the most important painting and the greatest legacy of paintings ever to enrich the world. To Pega asks Cris.
Speaker 2: Do we think because his brother was Kenny, right, huh's real life kill? And they're like yeah, So like, was that intentional? Like did we ask Jonathan to be on our show? Because we knew who he was and his brother had already been on the show like a teen heart throat, right, we was established. I remember being excited to meet him and have him on the show because he was like a good actor. He like had the reactor yeah, And it was It's so funny because when he started talking, I immediately was like, oh, he's he's not used to sitcom because it's the same thing that I suffer from in a lot of the episodes.
Speaker 3: Er, yes, you can't hear anything scene you're used to being micd right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess on soap operas. I've never actually been on the soap opera set, but I think they used booms too.
Speaker 3: But everybody, everybody talks unless they're yelling because they have mbresia.
Speaker 1: Then everybody.
Speaker 3: And remember when Chris telling the story about how his first note to me was like, right, do they need you to speak up?
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, I want it to be real.
Speaker 2: That's the same, right, And I could tell that he has the same thing, you know, And he just seemed like this the second you open in his mouth. I was like, what what he was?
Speaker 3: He was the low sue and I were like, oh, he's the low talker from Seinfeld, Like excuse me, that's all we kept because it was that same thing. He obviously, he's just sitcom is a different beast. It's like voiceover. You can get some of the greatest actors in the world come in and they just can't do voiceover, and vice versa.
Speaker 1: It's the same. He's a vocal and a great actor, but sitcom is different.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just funny because I you know, I've never seen this episode, but I remember watching the run throughs and being like, man, that's a real actor.
Speaker 1: That's a real story.
Speaker 2: And it brought out like this great dynamic with Danielle and I was like, man, this is so amazing.
Speaker 1: And then when I was watching the episode, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, it's lacking energy and it's not. It's not a bad performance. It's just that thing, you know.
Speaker 1: But also, you know they wrote him as writing is.
Speaker 3: Bad and he's performing in a different type of show. There's not a bad performance, it's just not registered.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Tapanga asks Irises, Ricky responds, No, Actually, this is my second favorite. I was talking about Starry night. Do you know it? She's not in a book once, but it likely didn't do it justice. Ricky insists, what you need is someone who's passionate about it to make you passionate about it too. To Penga smiles, Really you know anyone like that? Wow, you need Yes for me, you will understand surely. Let me tell you about Storry Night. Actually you won't get it. But if I go there with you and explain it to you.
Speaker 2: Which is so, it doesn't make any sense for why to Penga would then test Corey with it because actually the response from Tapega should be let me explain it to you, Corey. And you know, if she believes that this guy did that, like if she.
Speaker 1: Knows, she wants to know that he'll be able to explain everything to her for the rest of her.
Speaker 4: Life that he correct explain exactly your man explain to me in a turn on way.
Speaker 1: Could you mean, could you man to me tell me how to be passionate?
Speaker 3: It's incite my passion. Tell me tell me what to think, Corey. Actually, Danielle, here's what he meant.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Actually, you know this whole episode met will we're married right now? You when we were twelve.
Speaker 3: It was it was It wasn't even that they tried to save it where it's like, it's not me explaining the piece to you, it's me letting you know that until you find passion in your life, you won't understand art.
Speaker 1: And it's like, what the hell is happening?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to see you play a version of this character because it would be your dream because you hate this guy. I was like, I was like, because I was laughing earlier, I was saving it until that was like, it's not just that he's a two dimensional character, because we've had plenty of characters. It's a very specific It is that d bag like pretentious guy who's.
Speaker 3: Like too cool for school, you can't stay And it's.
Speaker 1: So funny because it's it's just it's a it's like one eighth of who of like of who writer.
Speaker 5: Is there's a part will more than anybody when you really tap into this to your Ricky Ferris, Oh.
Speaker 2: Really you didn't work together. He would have hated me if you just knew from a whole if he read, if he read and team.
Speaker 1: Beat the like quotes that I was saying.
Speaker 2: At the time, we were best friends.
Speaker 1: But he would have been like, whoa those interviews where the two of you are in an interview together and he is openly mocking you, but in a loving way. But the reason for that is that there is another seven eighths of you that isn't this. Oh god, he likes all of those pers This one eighth part of you thinks sucks. You know, I now love that one eighth part of you. Okay, absolutely, I love eight eighth of you.
Speaker 2: Writer.
Speaker 1: Actually, Daniel, let me explain why. Okay, so.
Speaker 2: No, it is but you're right, this is this is like, this is your kryptonite. Like, but that's why I want to see you in a mock turtleneck.
Speaker 1: Playing another krypt We need dumb dumb dad, dumb dumb mail needs to be Hey, listen to me. I'm going to tell you how to do it. I'm just lucky to be with a woman. And then the sun comes in and goes. Actually, when I was with the Blind Children, Oh I love it, I love it. What else does will hate?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what else does will hate?
Speaker 1: Will's hell? So Topanga smiles. You know anyone like that? Ricky nods, Yeah, I do. Angela watches on a Stepanga follows his lead to the next painting. Now we're in front of Starry Night. Ricky and Tapanga are staring at the legendary piece that is not protected at all. There's just nobody else there and you can get about the stress. Oh my gosh. And he reveals I think this is the most spiritual piece ever painted. They revel in the small details and how van Go's religious beliefs tie into its meaning. Ricky tells her that's what's moving you. Someone is able to let you see right into his soul. Ricky laughs at himself, apologizing to her he could talk about this painting all day, and then a museum security guard appears. You did. The museum will be closing shortly. To Panga, can't believe they talked all night. What it can happen without even knowing it? Unbelief. And you know if you can talk to someone for a long time that only bad can come from that, only battery. Do either of you know?
Speaker 3: Very very very quick tangent which I say quite a bit, but one of you probably knows this. The the Starry Night was was van Go's view from his insane asylum room.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it no like not joking, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure it was well thought that, like, well, no, back in the day it was he was in, really was it was called the insane asylum or hospital.
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure it was there. I think it was the asylum at the time.
Speaker 3: But I thought he had one small window and that was what he saw through the window.
Speaker 1: I could totally be wrong, but I thought that was the story. I don't know. I don't know. Someone someone explained it to me.
Speaker 6: Looks that looks true.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, did you just google it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He g.
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 6: It does seem real, it's saying. In the aftermath of December eighteen eighty eight, the breakdown and resulted in self mutilation of his left ear, van Go voluntarily admitted himself into a lunatic asylum down It used to be a former monastery and it catered to the wealthy and was less than half full when Vango arrived, allowing him to occupy not only a second story bedroom, but a ground floor room for use of a painting studio. And this is what he saw outside of the second story.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. Plus was the asylum half full? Or where is it talking about? God? In this or writers just make that up.
Speaker 6: They just that appears to be made up, although I mean, I'm sure people take different things from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ricky tells her talking all days not enough. He wonders what she's doing for dinner tomorrow night, and we go to break before we get her answer. Then commercial break. Then we're back in the Philadelphia Art Museum. Ricky is walking out of the exhibit with Tapanga and he mentions dinner again. They can keep talking about Starry Night or the Real Stars, whatever she wants. Tapanga responds, I've had a really great time talking to you, but my head's in a funny place right now. Ricky inquires, do you plan on eating dinner tomorrow night? Haven't we done this before?
Speaker 2: Yes, we could have cut this entire scene, like if he ended the or ended that last thing saying, uh, what are you doing for dinner tomorrow night?
Speaker 1: Then we could just cut to Topanga and Angela talking about like what do I do?
Speaker 2: He asked me to doct But instead we have this like I think pseudo charming, but I just found it, like.
Speaker 1: It's not about Ricky, it's about that. We need to show that Tapenga doesn't feel that she's even that she can't even wrap her brain around. Could I possibly even have Din say to him? Oh no, no, I don't know that I can do that. I'm in a bad place. It's all about the purity of Topanga, even though she's fully single.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then you miss, just know that if you look up, well I'll be looking back at you.
Speaker 1: What are you saying? I was yelling. I was literally yelling at this point at my reading, thank you wish she actually wore.
Speaker 2: Flower and it's just a little flower.
Speaker 1: Just one white glove for no reason, like, what are you doing? Yes, that was such a strange character and not the actor's fault at all. By the way, for the record, I know it's just okay. She says yes, and he agrees he does too. So he offers this plan tomorrow at eight o'clock. We'll meet it. We really la perie de croissant Panga ship. He should just bust out into French at some point.
Speaker 3: Everything that would be so close when yeah, how what's happening?
Speaker 1: You're seventeen and Big Philly be seventeen.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he's known he's an artist since he was sixteen.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of takes that little French cafe. Ricky nods. Here's the thing. We're going to be sitting at the same table, and I'm going to be sitting across from you. Now. If you want it to be a date, you look up from your dinner. If you don't want it to be a date, don't look up. Just keep looking at your salad, lady dude. But if you do look up, I'll be looking back at you. Sorry, Oh my god, I'm having at it. My gosh. The inmates in the audience at this, and Topanga, who is both romantic and a little like American Psycho, walks off to Penga watches him leave, and then we noticed Angela's head sneakily poking out from a sculpture behind her. Topanga doesn't, Yes, it's exactly the same thing as if cook over the brilliantly she was great. We need it God, So Topanga doesn't even need to look in her direction. All right, come on out. Angela reveals herself, and Topanga asks should I go out with him or not? Angela weighs the option. He's gorgeous, cultured, sensitive artist type wants to take you to a romantic French restaurant. Should you go out with him?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: To Panga size, I don't know. Angela can't handle it. You don't know what he is everything you could want to. Pega states the obvious, he's not Corey. If I go out with him, then Corey and I are really really finished, aren't we. Angela agrees Topanga doesn't know what to do. Ricky knew so much about the paintings, and he's complex and interesting. Angela asks if she thinks Corey is complex and interesting. To Panga nods, yeah, but it's different. You don't he's not. He's complex, he's Corey. He's neurotic. He and he likes a lot of things that Topanga doesn't get. He's obsessive. Yeah, he's not very cheater, cheats the same.
Speaker 2: Does and Corey. Oh, haven't established anything.
Speaker 1: I don't know. She's never. She's never said like I can talk to him about it. He's nothing, She's never. We don't know. And it's not that there is a sure, it's not that there aren't things about Corey, but we just haven't explored them. We haven't heard from Tapanga what she specifically loves about her man. We don't know. There are obviously things. Is it that he's hysterical because he is? Is it that he's cute? We've heard her say that, We have heard her say and she's definitely been like, you are a very sexy boy. So she's physically attracted to Corey, and that's all we know. Yeah, but like has been sexually attracted to Corey. Corey is truly irresistible to women of his age, So it's not surprising in the universe that Tapega would find Corey physically attractive. But but as far as like what else that you know, she seems to have all of these things that she really looks for in someone. Deep interestspective, sensitive, complex, interesting. Haven't heard her say any that have heard her say to Corey, you don't listen to me. You keep doing these things you think I want. I don't want them. This is not what this is not what I want. So he doesn't know her. I don't know. I don't know, even though I've known Corey all my life. How can I go out with another guy until I know what Corey feels about this painting? And again, I think if we were out somewhere and I were looking at a painting and I was with someone else and they had a different perspective. I'd be able to turn to my friend and I'd say, you know what Jensen would say about this painting, and I would know it like the back of my hand Yep, why do I need to hear it from Corey's own? I would know for sure. I know Corey, he's going to see an attack the aliens. They're shooting beams. That's what he's going to see, because he's gone with me to art shows before and we've already talked about this, or I know he's alien attacked.
Speaker 2: But also Corey stayed up all night to get her tickets for this thing. He's already done the demonstration of even if I'm going to this thing, I support you, I love you. And it's like so it's completely under like she doesn't even need to test his ability to read a painting. That's not why she likes him and that but that should be the point, right, it should be the Tapanga says, here's another type of guy who's more like me in some ways, right, but I've always been with Corey, who's actually very different from me, and and you know, just have that conversation, which is a healthy conversation to have like you can have you can be in love with somebody and have very different tastes in music, movies, paintings and look all that stuff. The idea that you would see.
Speaker 3: The thing I was thinking of, but I was as I was watching this that would have been such an interesting change would have been if the guy was actually an exchange student. He was black, he was from France, he whatever, he was so different and so worldly and well, I grew up on a commune.
Speaker 1: I meant something to where.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just a caricature of this thing, right, if she met somebody super interesting who really did That's all I was sitting there, is like, okay, so I can get like Corey liked Lauren.
Speaker 1: She listened to him.
Speaker 3: They were having fun. They were laughing. They were joking, what Topanga's Lauren? And they just kind of made this version.
Speaker 1: Do you think what the version they made is? And you find it out at the dinner You find it out at the dinner date. Oh, your parents are real hands off parents too. You're super independent and not neurotic. You want to go spend a year in Paris? I guess, yeah, it's just so they have they have things that like, she goes, wow, what how interesting to talk to somebody who has more of my shared history and has more of my dreams for the future.
Speaker 2: I just wish that the counter argument is, which is a great argument that could be made, which is that, but Corey is my Corey. Corey is this Corey is a different type. I if you, if I wrote down on a piece of paper like the resume for the perfect guy, here's the guy, but that's not actually.
Speaker 1: Who I love.
Speaker 2: Who I love is Corey and here's why. Instead it just reduced to this kiss. Right, it's just literally this litmus test of the kiss. I didn't feel it, Nope, and it's like what No.
Speaker 3: Like what you were talking about though, is exactly what they were attempting to do.
Speaker 1: It didn't work.
Speaker 2: But it's just oversimplified into this destiny love fate thing that it's just such a bummer because it's an opportunity to really let Corey shine as a character and to say, here are some great qualities about Corey. Yes, he likes baseball, which Tapanges not into. He cares about this, which Japang is not into. But that doesn't matter. What matters is the shared you know, the respect and love and the way he I don't know, like, just find those reasons his humor. You know, there are things, but we don't explicate those things because it's just reduced to love, you know, love capital.
Speaker 1: L Angela tells Topanga she needs to give Ricky a chance. Maybe one day she won't be telling people she met the guy she loved on the monkey bars, but instead she met him in front of a masterpiece and he swept her off her feet. But Tapanga's mind is made up. I'm not leaving my feet for anybody until I give Corey a chance. The audience aw and to Panga lovingly places her head on Angela's shoulder.
Speaker 3: A chance.
Speaker 1: She's not this. She gave him fifteen years of a chance.
Speaker 3: It's also not just that, though, Why does why does it have to be you met Maybe you can say you met the love of your life in front.
Speaker 1: Why can't just be a guy you're dating?
Speaker 2: I need a guy hang out with me. You're single?
Speaker 1: Now, go yeah, yes, exactly, you can't.
Speaker 2: That's miserable to be happy, would be miserable to be happy single?
Speaker 1: Go go date somebody for a few months. Go yeah, go give that.
Speaker 3: He could be a great distraugling for you right now. To Panga, that's totally aid, but no, he's got to be the love of.
Speaker 1: Your life forever. Come on right.
Speaker 2: It's just like the conversation with Ben or Corey and Lauren, where it's like, yeah, what about our suburban future? And it's like, why are we having this conversation with the kids? I know, yes, and I get it that, like you feel like it's intense, Like I understand the feelings, but we're actually having out loud conversations that I don't believe seventeen through nineteen year old have or they don't test each other in the same way. They may like dream and like speculat, but you're not literally like would you want two point five kids in a white way?
Speaker 1: I do. What I will say is that I do think like you said, it does speak to the feelings. Teenagers are having it because we're all imagining what is my life's going to be? It's not yes, and what's my future going to be? And who am I going to be with? And am I going to be with someone? And what are we going to have and where are we going to live? It's so fun to fantasize about so maybe what people do, what people resonated so much is it was a real way of those feelings being played out in like, oh, I can't actually no one's having these conversations, but I'm having the thoughts, I'm having the feelings. I can watch these people act my thoughts and fantasies and I can kind of oh wow, and what if that could be me? And then it became the idea of where's my Corey, where's my Tipanga, which possibly screwed up.
Speaker 3: Well, you know how many comments we get generation how many people if you talk to you that are like man, Corey and Tpanga really made my life difficult when it came.
Speaker 2: To right, Well, because they don't they don't actually spell out what it is about their love. It's just that their love is destined. I mean, that's the whole point of this episode. And that's like, you know, that can keep you in a really horrible relationship.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not saying Corey de Bank.
Speaker 2: Is necessarily really horrible, but it's also not necessarily good, right right, because it's left blank enough, it's enough of a blank slate for you to project. And that's just to me very dangerous way to approach love for kids, especially for teenagers, like because it has nothing to do with how you actually treat each other or how you actually go about living together or being together.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, so we're back at the Philadelphia Art Museum. It's the next day. Topega is holding Corey's hand and leading him right to starry Night. She asks him what he sees. Corey gives a slight laugh. Why did she bring him here? Tapega explains, I want to know what you feel about this painting. Corey stutters, I don't get what that has to do with anything. Did something happen here yesterday? It has sure been a long time. In the script since we had a laugh, Angela popping her head up, is that that was the last one? Yeah, that was the last one. And even that is funny. It's a funny moment, but it's not like a hard script laugh, you know, like so's to release the tension. Laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you walked in while this scenems play, and I didn't get to record him because we had people coming over after we watched this episode.
Speaker 1: But he just said, wow, now this is a sad story.
Speaker 2: There's barely any comedy right.
Speaker 1: It was like yeah.
Speaker 2: And then we watched until the monkey bar scene and that started, and he just said, ah, they always have a lesson at the end, but the lesson's getting weird.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. I mean, I mean he was able because.
Speaker 2: He hadn't seen the episodes, you know, I think he's seen one episode this season, but that was his takeaway and I was like, wow, that's pretty really enjoyed. Yeah, He's like it feels He's like he knew that there was a lesson, but it just wasn't. He was like, it's weird.
Speaker 1: I don't it's a weird one. It's a weird lesson.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, man, I feel yeah. Anyway, but this scene, he was like, there's no lad, there's no comedy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I know, I know. It's very intense to Panga insists this has nothing to do with yesterday. This is about the two of them right now. They were supposed to come here together and she wants to know what would have happened if they did. Corey seems annoyed. So this is some kind of test to Panga nods right, big test test to the biggest Corey scoffs. Forget it I'm not taking a test. You don't reduce our relationship to what you think about me because of what I see in a painting. None of that is important. What's important, exactly, what's important is what he sees in her and what she sees in him. To Panga grabs him and loudly shouts, what I see in you portrait of somebody. I thought, I knew she can't contain it any lie.
Speaker 2: I was like, why are the guards not coming over? We've established a guard, But clearly you guys are screaming at each other in front of a painting, and background actors are not.
Speaker 1: Not one guys like one.
Speaker 3: One guy in the very back turns to look at them one.
Speaker 1: Time and then turns back to the pack.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. There's like a guy walking around looking at paintings behind Tipanga shot and I was like, dude, like, you guys are making a scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. How were you able to spend the whole night talking to some girl then kiss her the next day and still think you care about me?
Speaker 2: So now it's about the kiss and talking, which.
Speaker 1: And not just about that. How did you kiss someone else and still think you care about me? Which that's that's now her POV, which was not her POV when she was written very well, when she was written with the idea that, Wow, whatever happened between you two during that time you talked wasn't as benign or as I was led to believe, because she came four hours to pursue whatever came from that. So if you feel the same way that there is something more there between you two, that you need to go explore that. That tells me you're not as committed and sure in our relationship, and so you should go.
Speaker 2: Do that too.
Speaker 1: If you kiss someone, it means there's feelings, which is just to us smarter and better than that. Yeah, yeah, Corey shouts back, because I did and I do. To Panka yells, you don't, or you wouldn't be able to do those things. Those things don't just happen for no reason, but they have happened for no reason before before to your man in this show several times, many times, Corey says, don't tell me how I feel about you. I know how I feel about you. And she kissed me to Pank is furious and you moved away? What did you do to stop her? Corey throws his arms in the air. Nothing nothing, I said, kiss me, baby, sweetie, Kill the relationship with the person I care about more than anything, and make me miserable for the rest of my horrible life. And yeah, where's that security guard when you need him? Corey says, Laurence kiss meant nothing to him. But she's right. Those things don't happen for no reason. They happen to teach you something. Corey knows now that he will never ever love anybody more than he loves Topanga. Topanga isn't giving up. What do you see in the painting, Corey. Corey observes the painting and finally says, I see an attack. The audience laughs and Tepanga is confused. An attack? Corey nods an attack from another world. This is not the answer to Panga was hoping for, so she asks him to look again. What about the relationship between God and man? You know what that other guy man explained to me, Corey nervously says, he was about to get there. See, God, unhappy with how some particular humans treat other particular humans who love them, has decided it's the end of the world. And I wondered, who's he talking about here, the way Corey treated Tapanga or the way Topanga is treating him. You're right, it's just it's I don't know, and I think he's right to Peg is deflated. God is protecting the people in this little town. They live their lives, and they come out of their houses and they see the sky and they know God's protection and love and that everything will be all right. Corey counters, how do you expect me to see good in anything when I feel so bad in here? As he points to his heart, Storry night is just a painting Tapega shoots back, this is a masterpiece. Corey is unfazed. We are a masterpiece, and I don't care what you think right now. We're going to be together forever and I know that. But you still need to find that out. Why Grabs, We now know this, like what has changed from because I mean like coach.
Speaker 2: For the rest of this episode, Corey is in this like overcont like super correct. But what triggered that?
Speaker 1: Because he was, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: But I mean, but we don't.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: That's it's a higher it's a belief in a higher power than is this love show.
Speaker 1: But he didn't At the beginning of the episode Monkey Bars.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of the episode, he was free taking out about not going to the museum with to Pangas. Yeah, and so we never see the moment where Corey has his you know, moment of insight. Really, I mean what you're talking about faith, right, Love is faith, which we've literally said on the show, so love faith God, Like our show lines all those things up, and now he's saying he's been tested by the universe and knows for sure that that was the point of Lauren. Lauren was sent as a test by God for him to fall in love with to Panka. Like that's the story that we're building. I have problems with that, but okay, that's the story of the universe of Boy Meets World. But where was that moment, Like, where was the moment where he transitioned And it could have been this scene. There could have been a moment where he just looks at the pain, he looks at the panga and says, I'm not scared anymore or you know, but we never see it. And it was very confused. When he's like with Sean at the end, it was like, this is an intense like transition that we kind of just skipped over.
Speaker 1: By the way. I actually truly love the idea of a character having so much confidence and not only himself but his relationship that he says, I don't care if no one else is with me. I know without a shadow of a doubt, what we have is real. And if it's three months, six months, four years, six years, we're going to end up together and she can go and date any random artist she wants. At the end of the day, what she's going to realize is that no human being will ever love her or take care of her, or know her or be there for her the way I will. That kind of confidence is what I tell young people who come to me for relationship advice all the time. If this person is all the things you think that they are, and they're trying, they're wawfling, don't worry about it. You know who you are, you know you're the best thing in the world. There. Let them go out there and see what else is available until they realize, wow, I really let a good thing go. I want that have that confidence. But it shouldn't be for a matter of minutes, shouldn't be one date. It shouldn't be Topanga going out with one guy. And by the way, I'd love to see Tapega go. I'm about to graduate and I have wanted to go to Paris, and I have summer coming up, and this guy's hot and likes the same things I do. Yeah, maybe this is what I'm supposed to do for a summer and see where it takes me. And if that happens, and we have a full season, half a season, a year of the two of them being broken up and living separate lives and Corey never once waivers in his confidence, we're still getting back together someday.
Speaker 2: I think that's great.
Speaker 1: That happens in one exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean that whole conversation around you. They're married at that point, and she gets into Y or they're engaged.
Speaker 1: She gets engaged, yeah, and they still are.
Speaker 2: Like why not you You're married, Corey moved to Connecticut. She's gonna go to Yale, like dude, go.
Speaker 1: Go yeah, okay. He grabs her hands, you know where I'll be. Then he walks away and she watches him leave the exhibit. Did she have like a week long museum pass or I know, well, there's nobody.
Speaker 3: I mean they set it up that there's nobody there, so kind of no one cares about Vegaz, no one cares about Vango ever, so.
Speaker 1: And then we're in the French cafe, so new Settlert. I think Jamaka shouldate this guy just because he knows a restaurant other than Chubby's. I think already. Tobega and Ricky are seated at a table and she's focused on a story he's telling. So I bought this beret and I grew some hair on my chin, and I told my parents I wanted to put off college and go to Paris and paint for a year. Tapanga asks if they went crazy, but Ricky tells her they didn't. In fact, they thought it'd be a good idea to expand his individuality. But he's just testing them. But now he really has to go. Tapanga thought she had the only parents like that in the world. And we get some rare continuity. She tells him about almost moving to Pittsburgh and her aunt. Ricky unders what was so important that she wanted to stay to Pank admits there was this boy. Ricky smiles, So you've been in love. He's so excited about it. I love you should just let me. I believe it was Rumble who said at least it wasn't I know my god. I was like, don't do it, don't do it to Pang admits Yeah, I have, but I've never been to Paris, which is maybe the most spot online. Yeah. I've dedicated the last fifteen years of my life to one person, and it's I've called it love, and yet I have no real life experiences Pittsburgh. Yeah, I can't. I can't leave word, which she kind of ruined. Yeah, so he stalked me when I the one time I left the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's.
Speaker 1: Going to prevent me from going to the Ivy College.
Speaker 3: And Danielle, as you were saying the whole thing about you know, we're going to be together. If it's six months, if it's four months, whatever, it's six years, we're going to be I just thought how different that same speech would sound if you casted somebody crazy saying it, Yeah, if you got someone going, I don't care.
Speaker 1: If it's six months, I don't we're going to end up together. It's like, oh, I mean, you don't even need to say it to the other person. I'm saying when he's talking to Sean for him to say to Sean, listen, I have no doubt she can go and have all the experiences in life that she wants, and she should. I hope she does. But I know no one's better for me than her, and she'll eventually realize that someday, and I'm going to go about and live my life. But I you know, I.
Speaker 3: Could have reversed it, though it would have been interesting is if it was Corey who told her to go out with them, like you should get with them.
Speaker 1: I think you should now go and see what happens the way she did. I mean, he does kind of say, hey, you need to still find that out. You know where I'll be. So in a little bit he does the same thing that Tapega did. So Ricky tells her that now she'll have an excuse. Topanga laughs. She hardly knows him. Ricky disagrees. We've known each other for a whole day and dinner and we're almost done with dessert. Tapega asks to see what he's drawing, and he rips off his side of the paper table covering. He shows her a beautiful bouquet of brightly colored flowers he's made Tapega looks at them in awe. They're beautiful. He says, they're no van go. She tells him she's had a really rough day, and he's making it less rough. He's been thinking about her ever since the museum. It's amazing when it can be a day like any other, and without even expecting it, you meet somebody interesting, inspiring, and you can talk for hours. Where are the jokes in this show?
Speaker 2: Single laugh in the same It's just.
Speaker 1: Where are they? Could there be anything, by the way, anything even remotely? Why is this the fantasy they think that a woman wants on a date? This conversation is so boring. There's not anything. It's not fun. It's just and by the way, they're talking about Corey.
Speaker 4: About anything other than your other relationship, like anything.
Speaker 1: To Bank asks, what did you just say? Ricky continues, those things don't just happen for no reason to Panga agrees, repeating Corey's words from earlier, they happen to teach you something. Ricky begins to lean in closer to Panga, asks you're going to kiss me now, aren't you. He nods, and they kiss. The audience lets out a combination of it. No idea. They're like, we don't want this, but.
Speaker 2: We kind of do, like it's just.
Speaker 1: Sexy. But I know, do you remember kissing him, Danielle? Yeah, I do, I remember. I remember all we I mean he's very cute, obviously, sure, he's super professional, really polite, nice, nice guy. Uh and yeah, I mean the funny thing is I remember thinking it was weird to kiss someone other than Ben. I remember, this is weird dating that. Yeah, I was dating that at the time. I think I'm also wearing a necklace Jonathan gave me. I had a lot of weird stuff going on. There's weird stuff happening in Danielle's life. I don't know what was going on, so who knows. We come back to John Adams high Sean stands at Angela's locker and disbelief. How could you let her go out with another guy? Angela scoffs letter I told her to and again, I think this is supposed to be the laugh like this, Yeah, this is the comedy section. Here's the comedy, but it's it's so intense.
Speaker 3: Yelling at her like yeah, and Angela is the only one the entire episode that has any sense. I know, it's amazing, But I love I liked this scene in that I was just like nice to see Sean and Angela together.
Speaker 1: And like dynamic.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, Sean's actually listening to her, and like I thought it was.
Speaker 1: I was like cool, that's.
Speaker 2: Like, it was just nice to see it, and the writing was clever the whole, like, yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna I'm gonna show you different sides of myself. So this is me very upset. Why would you?
Speaker 2: That's all very me.
Speaker 1: I'm just yelling and angry, but I still just I don't know. I was just nice to see Sean in a scene with girlfriend. I know which. By the way, now you guys are okay. We've talked about it for a few episodes. You guys are absolutely boyfriend and girlfriend when truly, the last time we had any sort of status update about your relationship was the first Girlfriend's Club when you said I want to take a step back, I want to be friends to go So I don't get it. So Sean can't believe it. He asks for a time out. You and I we're going pretty good, right, Angela smiles, Yeah, Sean continues, so we should try and show all the different sides of our personalities, right, Angela agrees, mm hmm. Sean takes a deep breath. Good. So then this is me really really mad. He yells in her face. You told her to go out with another guy? How will that get them back together? He may not be the smartest kid in school, but he thinks it's bad. Angela mimicks Sean, all right, this is me really really practical. Corey and te Beannga have broken up. They both need to get on with their lives. They argue back and forth on whether or not the two are actually broken up, causing other students around them to rightfully stare, were we the first people to do We weren't broken up? We were on a break? Or was friends? When did friends do that? This is ninety eight? Mm hmm. Friends was first? When did friends?
Speaker 3: Err? Because we were on a break? Ross and Rachel hook after the end of season one?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that happened that early. Yeah, we were on a break. I think we came before this. It's on first heard the one with the morning after We can't break? So there you go? Is it a breaker? Is it? And is it a breaker? Yes? Okay, well gold we cleared that up. Angela reminds him he went out with another girl. She went out with another guy. Shawn is still peeved. If I went out with another girl tonight, that wouldn't mean I don't love you, and we wouldn't be broken up tomorrow. Angela retorts, you go out with another girl tonight, and you'll be plenty broken tomorrow, because I will break you. She gives him a kiss and John smiles. He emphasizes the Coreanapanga have been together for fifteen years. These rules don't apply to them. Angela feels they're stuck. They need to see where life takes them, otherwise they're going to be unhappy every day. They agree they don't want that for their friends. Now here's where Sean has a really good point. If we were married in our late thirties or forties, with a couple of kids, one to three kids, and you've been together for fifteen twenty years and one of you meet somebody, you'd spend all night talking to them and you kiss. The rules of that's it. You cheated on me. Get out of here. I don't want to talk to you anymore. Don't necessarily apply different. You have to say, how is the culture of our relationship led to this moment where you thought this was an acceptable thing to do. We need to talk this out. We have a lot at stake. We've built a life together, we have a family, we have shared whatever. That's a different conversation at seventeen years old. It's not the same consideration. So the fact that Sean is saying these love rules of you went out with somebody else, they don't apply to them, is basically saying, oh, once you've been if you've been together with somebody for two no matter how old you are, you're already an old married couple. You have to treat it differently. It's just weird. It's the logic of that they're destined. I mean, we just have to buy it.
Speaker 2: Ever since the Romeo and Juliet episode, it's just like we are in like that.
Speaker 1: That's just they're destined.
Speaker 2: We have to stany.
Speaker 3: I think this is also a good place to talk about the power of music in an episode, because the music in this episode is so melodramatic and high hand that it just sucks you down another level the entire time, where it's like if I heard those weeping guitar strings one more.
Speaker 1: Time, so you got kidding me with this right now? Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: And I also like to point out because I it led me to look something up. There was a big change in television this year of nineteen ninety eight. January of nineteen ninety eight, Dawson's Creek came out and it became such a big thing in TV, and teenage became a big part television. And I still think that painted our show with a brush, where hey, look what they did, We've got to do that too.
Speaker 1: And literally, as I'm watching this, I'm like, when did Dawson's Creek come out?
Speaker 3: And it was like four months before that may smart So it made such a difference in our show that that show came out.
Speaker 1: You're right. Then the bell rings and Angela grabs Sean's hand and they stroll into Phoene's class together. To Pega meets Angela at the door and pulls her away. She whispers that something happened. Angela asks good or bad, and to Panga admits, amazing, absolutely wonderful. I've never had a kiss that meant more to me in my life. Angela cringes and turns to Sean. I'm sorry, it's over. Sean slowly turns to Corey, who is now standing behind him. He tells him they need to talk. Corey stares at him, completely unnerved. Just then feene enters the room. I hope everyone enjoyed reading their last Shakespeare play while in high school. The entire class applauds, except for Corey and Sean. Phoene tells the rowdy seniors, Hey, I didn't know you felt that way about it. Okay, we'll do one more. The class groans, and Feenie gives them a big nineties psych then calls on Sean to share a passage from Antony and Cleopatra, something that was meaningful to him. Sean flips through the pages of his book and reads, though it be honest, it is never good to bring bad news. Corey immediately turns around. Phoene admits that's an interesting passage. Why did he choose that? Sean responds, while staring at Corey. I want everyone to understand how important it is not to kill the messenger. And apparently Sean remembered that moment when he read it last night. I was gonna he had no way to know that in the morning he would have bad news to share with him.
Speaker 3: Suddenly, Shakespearean Hugh horn in some Shakespeare in a quick Phoene scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mind.
Speaker 3: No, I was actually I was cautiously optimistic at this point, kind of going like, maybe it'll pick up here, even though we're seventeen minutes in and there's gonna be a feenie interaction and there's going to be some Shakespeare, and I just kind of didn't didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Corey and Sean walk out of Foene's and Corey announces, okay, a messenger deliver. Sean admits that what he's about to say is going to make Corey want to kill him. Corey laughs, I'm not going to kill you. It takes too much time to make to break in a new best friend. Sean comes right out with it, Tapanga went out with another guy last night. I'm sorry. Corey turns to face him. You know, we're the only two guys in the world who still think there's hope for me and too, Panga, you're throwing in the towel. Sean nods, yeah, I am. Corey turns back to his locker. Thank you. Sean asks if he's okay, and Corey admits, yeah, sure. It's an interesting feeling, though. Sean questions what to know it's over, and Corey answers to be the only guy in the world who knows it's not And where did this Cory come?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I know where did The last time we saw him in the museum he was still kind of stressed out in the beginning of the episode. I just don't what what changed? Yep, when insight come from where home, like, acceptance of fate, the like, it just it's so I don't know. I mean, it makes for this dramatic reversal in the scene, but it just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: It's not really they're showing the stuff they shouldn't show and not showing the stuff that they should a lot in this episode. Y It's like, why didn't they show this instead of the yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, we're still in the John Adams High hallway to Panga and Angela are sitting on the senior couch and ask Angela asks the big question, you like this guy? Huh? To Pega can't hide her grin. I'm in love with him. I knew it the minute I kissed him. Angela's alarmed. You're coming off along relationship and you're vulnerable right now. You shouldn't rush into something because of one kiss from some gorgeous, perfect guy. It was just a kiss, wasn't it. To Pega can't stop smiling. That's all it took. Do you know what I felt when he kissed me? Angela laughs, probably to Pega reveals nothing, she felt nothing. Angela's confused. To Pega explains, I called him to day to let him know I can never see him again. Angela doesn't get it. You did. To Panga announces, because I'm in love. I don't mean high school I love you, I love you too. I mean I am in love with Corey Matthews and I want to be Angela smiles and lets out a huge sigh. To Peka continues, applauds, Yep, there's nobody else in the world for me, and there never will be. I'm taken. The audience lets out a rowdy round of applause and yells at this dramatic revelation. And then we're on the park playground. Corey is sitting on the jungle gym and to Panga walks up. She asks what he's doing up there. Corey's face lights up. I was hoping I could sit up here, and a beautiful girl would help me down and we'd fall in love for the next fifteen years. He shrugs. It worked once. To Pega hops up on the structure and begins to confess to Corey, I met this guy. Corey interrupts her, I went back to look at that painting. To Pega continues, we talked all day. He's not listening to her. Again, neither of us are listening to the other, even in the slightest No, there is not one honest moment between the two of us in this entire scene. And I remember this scene, and I remember being told exactly how it should be paced, and that this this is exactly the way it was supposed to be, that there weren't supposed to be pauses, that somehow us not listening to each other and talking over each other is, yes, is some sign of deep, profound love or whatever. And I'm watching it now and it's not correct. It's just not it's not it's not right. It's it seems phony. It seemed forced, it's not romantic. We're not listening to each other. There's nothing about this that makes me say, wow, look at these two together. This is what I've been wanting.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't understand Corey, but it's Ben as the actor. But I'm sure it was a note, But I don't understand the upbeat way that he starts the scene either.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like where he started this episode one way.
Speaker 2: I know, had a confrontation with Topanga and then is like somewhere along the way, decided that he has absolute faith in their relationship, and.
Speaker 1: He just walks in.
Speaker 3: He's got a smile, like just hoping for someone to help, just sit here like.
Speaker 2: But the idea is that he's going to the park in the middle of the night by himself to depressed, right, But no, it's and it's completely changed.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make this was this was very stan I thought the same thing. I'm like just looking going, No, you're not listening. Nobody's listening to anybody.
Speaker 1: Ye're just saying stuff back and forth. It was yeah, Topanga continues, we talked all day. Corey responds, I wanted to see what you saw in it. To Bega goes on. We went on a date and he drew me a picture of some flowers. Corey explains, I spent half an hour looking at it. Trying to understand it. To Panga spills the big reveal he kissed me or he doesn't react. But I couldn't get it, not by myself. But then I remembered what you said. God protects people in their little homes. But I'm not like you, Topanga. I can't understand those kinds of things so fast. I need you to help me, Tapega continues, And I'm not like you that I understand that you can kiss somebody and have it not mean anything, that you can care about somebody so deeply that nothing can change that, no matter how many times you tried to tell me. Tapega understands now. Corey tells her it was a beautiful painting, and Tapega says, it's just a painting. They're real and Corey always understood that. Tapega grabs his face into her hands. I love you and I will always love you. He smiles, with his face mushed in her hands. Another guy kissed you, Topega gives him a little grin. Yeah, you want to do something about it. Corey leans in and kisses her. When they break apart to Penga says, I've felt that boy. Corey wonders, so are we starting over? She nods yeah, Then she leans in for another kiss. They look up at this guy and sure enough, it's a starry night. They hold each other as we fade into the credits. Well, what do you think you did this week? Your week off?
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's a good question. Probably slept, yeah, and was willfully ignorant of this script, right, yeah, speaking, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Do you think you watched it when it came out? Do you think? I know for a fact I did that.
Speaker 3: It was the first time I'd ever seen it, and I was so looking forward to it because there was something very special for me about watching the Lauren episode that I wasn't in again. How I got to completely remove myself and just watch as a fan. And the writing was so good and the acting was so good, and I was just with you all as characters, and it was just so wonderful. And I had that kind of hopefulness going to this episode, and it just this one.
Speaker 1: This was really tough for me. This episode. This was and I'm I'm so trying.
Speaker 3: We've you know, I think the people out there, our dear listeners, know that we're not here to try to bash the episodes or crush anything. We're watching them honestly for the first time as adults, and we've even had conversations with each other like.
Speaker 1: Are we being too harsh? Are we? I mean?
Speaker 3: And then get an episode like this where man I tried and it just this one was really really tough for me if it was I don't get this.
Speaker 1: I didn't get this at all. It's just hard to root for Coren Topanga. That's my that's the biggest problem for me.
Speaker 2: It's like the show so obviously wants me to root for them, and I do want to, Like I will. I think the idea of like tracking an adolescent relationship to towards marriage, like if we accept that that's the like, there's a version of that that could be really cool, you know, and very meaningful. I mean I think about like when I watched Wonder years before we did Boy, like that relationship felt like, oh, it felt like all the ways that I felt about my you know, feelings when I was a little kid and or a teenager. Like so there's a I think taking teenage relationships and seriously so cool as a concept, but this is it's just one step too far. It's yeah, it's you know, it's it's didactic, it's telling you what's important, and and it's so heavy, it's so over intellectualized, it's so debated, it's it just doesn't actually make sense, and it's it's unfortunate.
Speaker 3: And but for the record, the kind of as awful as it was, the joy of it was Kevin and Winnie didn't end up together.
Speaker 1: Well that's the point, right, Yeah, that was the point. Is you cherish those relationships and those feelings.
Speaker 2: But you grow up, and by growing up you learn that you can't just pick somebody and you're you're not destined, and that those feelings of destiny don't actually mean that you But in this case, like yeah, that's yeah, that's well.
Speaker 1: Then we're back in the Philadelphia Art Museum. Angela and Sewn are staring at a different Vang painting, and she asks, what does this make you think of? He aggressively grabs her and places her in front of the painting, and then passionately kisses her. Then he waltzes up to the next painting. He wonders, what does this make you think of? Because paintings make you hot. You see paintings of van Go Stacks of hay, yeah what and she grabs him and does the same thing. Then the lovebirds grab hands and walk over to what we know is Starry Night. They stare at it for a moment before Angela asks, and what about this? He pulls her in close and they intensely study the piece.
Speaker 2: So this was a miss member, miss remembered. I thought we were slammed, which I guess we maybe did rehearsal and then back because she was pregnant or and now I'm thinking about it, like we probably couldn't have been slamming each other up against.
Speaker 1: A wall a museum.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, well especially that one security guard and nobody cares, right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't understand what what's the message of this about your relationship that your relationship is more sexual, has more sexual chemistry or is it just the power of the paintings.
Speaker 2: I think the power of the painting. This like we're we're like making a game of like make makeout artistic and the story just really gets it real art. It's God, right, we feel the power of God. Yeah, and I mean this this moment actually kind of bummed me out for the first time in a while of like, oh, Sean and Angela were a fun relationship to have as a counter to the corych Panga thing, And it would have been nice if we ended up together because we have so many more complicated conversations. I think about being different types of people and coming together, and I feel like that, you know, because people have said over the years like that they like the Seawan and Angela relationship more than the Corry Topang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't see why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's so much more, and it's like none of this destiny fate meant to be like authority to.
Speaker 1: Actually challenge each other and then balance each other out, and or even if you don't end up agreeing, you respect the POV and you know, and come around to saying, you know, I mean in this case, you were one hundred percent on the idea of no, Corey and Tapanga, we have to get them back together. And she was like, dude, I encourage her to go, and I'm sorry, bro, it's over. And you got to a point where you were like, man, that's not what I want, but it's the reality I have to accept, right, Yeah, that's you know all reason. Yeah, yeah, Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. You can join us for our next episode recap, which will be season five episode twenty one, Honesty Night, which originally aired April twenty fourth, nineteen ninety eight. You can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com. And we have merch. When I was in Paris for a year working with the Blinds, I painted some merch for everybody. I hope you enjoy it Pod meets worldshow dot com. Oh well, send us out. We love you all. Pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Pod Meets World is nheart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Will and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com