Speaker 1: If someone was to like compartmentalize every part of my identity onto a map of the United States, maybeing transgender would be Rhode Island. It's in that little corner of like important things, but it's also really small.
Speaker 2: So what's your taxes?
Speaker 3: Very ahead, Welcome to when You're Invisible. My name is Maria Fernanda Dies, but I know not everyone can roll there are, so it's also fine to call me Maria. When You're Invisible is my love letter to the working class and others who are seemingly invisible in our society. I hope to build a community here that will inspire you to have generous conversations with others that are different from you, conversations that might help you see life in an entirely different way.
Speaker 4: My name is Daniel Shuhil. I'm a sixteen year old transgender boy in Arizona.
Speaker 3: I was excited to talk to Daniel for so many reasons.
Speaker 2: One is his enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: We're ready, We're ready to get cooking.
Speaker 3: Second, he's a teenager. As a kid, I was fortunate to be around adults who took me seriously. Today, I try to listen to what young people have to say. I find their observations fascinating. I love how much they surprise me and make me rethink why and how I see the world, whether it's through their observations, their questions, or their own stories and resilience. I've gotten to know a lot of young people through work. I've taught theater, classes and activities, and I also tutor students of all ages in math, history, Spanish, English, test prep.
Speaker 4: You knew it.
Speaker 2: Do you like school or do you find it boring?
Speaker 4: I like school because I get to see my friends and I get to do like jazz band.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you play?
Speaker 4: I'm learning the upright bass, but I'm not too good yet, And in jazz combo, I'm playing the guitar.
Speaker 2: What does like an everyday or an average day look like?
Speaker 4: I wake up, make some breakfast, some cereal, I go to school. I have math. I like math. That's a good class. Then History, then biotech. It's just like chemistry okay, and jazz ben jazz combo of Spanish. Then I come home and I eat, and then I'll play my guitar for a little bit, and then I play my craft and then I go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Even though Daniel's just a kid. He's had to grow up fast.
Speaker 2: He's had to.
Speaker 3: Think about things that other kids don't have to. Unfortunately, some people don't just see him as a kid who likes video games and music because he's trans. In full transparency, this is my first time that I've met a Latin trans kid. So some of us are learning together and Daniel does a beautiful job of holding space for me. And while his trans identity is not his Texas, it's not the most important part of who he is, it does impact his life and his family's decisions. Like when it comes to figuring out where Daniel goes to school, they have to think more actively about things like policy, safety, and respect.
Speaker 2: I also know you travel far for school. Oh my gosh, yeah, what is that journey?
Speaker 4: My parents drive me to a separate district because unlike a lot of the other districts, in our school, they have gender and sexuality in their non discrimination policy. And not only do they have it written down, because some districts haven't written down, but some districts don't use them or don't know that they have them. And so then we've had a lot of other families face like discrimination or like pushback with the school even though it's in their policy, and so this school has been on our site since day one. That's awesome, But as far, it's a far drive, and it's annoying because all my friends love up there, right, and they're like, Daniel, you want to hang out, And I'm like, someone's gonna have to drive me the forty minutes.
Speaker 2: What do you do on those car rides?
Speaker 4: We listen to music, We go on musical journeys.
Speaker 2: What kind of music do you like to listen to?
Speaker 4: I like Kimsic Lamar, I've been listening.
Speaker 2: To him more, Hey as you should.
Speaker 4: Then I like the Smiths, It's so great. I also like Mariaccia music. Sometimes I really like Radiohead and that's my top one.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, radio had a place in my house a lot, and like especially when my brothers. I'm gonna tell my brother that I'm going to be like, I met someone who's.
Speaker 4: Your soul, a kindred soul. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Daniel could choose to just enjoy his life, you know, the things he cares about, going to school, trying to fit in, focusing on his personal world and well being the bubble he lives in. But another big reason I wanted to talk to Daniel Is because he's an activist and he cares a lot about the world around him and making it a better place for everyone, and he's been doing that for years already.
Speaker 2: What was it like to speak for the first time to like your legislator? And how old are you? And how many times have you done it?
Speaker 4: Oh? I can't count that, But I was nine the first time I testified. I had written a small testimony that was read by one of our representatives on the house floor. I remember being really afraid, like really nervous because I was like a nine year old, and I was like, I really don't want to read this on the mic, and I am was like, we can pull those strings. So I made this like little scratchy screwbally thing on like an hotel notepad, you know, and I gave it to our representative and she like read it. And I had my little stuffed animal, stuffed otter, and so me and Senor Otter stood like watching over as my testimony get read, and I remember being like really nervous. I was like, whoa, everyone's listening to something I wrote. My mom found my first little testimony.
Speaker 2: Can you read it out?
Speaker 4: Loud. Yeah, I'll read it out loud. I haven't read this. I actually have no recollection of what it said.
Speaker 2: Great, Okay, we're going to find out together.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I said, I'm knowing different, but it's not right for people to not be treated equally. For me, I'm safe at school and home, but for others it's different. So it's important for truated equal like human beings. Ah, nine year old little Daniel preaching out here.
Speaker 3: Daniel may only be sixteen, but he's been on the front lines of this issue for nearly half his life. Arizona is known as a conservative red state. It's notorious for banning Chicano books, for racial profiling against immigrant workers, and for a wave of backlash against LGBTQ and women's rights. But it is also a region that is incredibly rich in Latin culture. I wanted to hear firsthand how Daniel pictured his community, to see what spurred him to fight for such a complicated place.
Speaker 2: Tell us about where you live.
Speaker 4: I live in southern Arizona. We live in the city of South Tucson. What I really like is I we're like thirty forty minutes from the border, and so there's just like a lot of like Mexican food and like culture is very important. We can go like down the street and there's like four of Rospilo places, and then down the street over here past the church there's my favorite little hot dog sand But they always knock on me because whenever I go I get I just get fun cheese and beans and the like. That's not a hot dog. You need to get a hot dog. I'm like, I'm not gonna get a hot dog.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's hilarious. Do you have like rapport with your go to places?
Speaker 3: This warmth and delight makes me smile and definitely picture a different place than what I would imagine just from his testimony or the news headlines. Honestly, it reminded me a little bit of one of my own homes.
Speaker 2: It reminded me of Mexico. Do love Arizona?
Speaker 4: I feel like I love my little pocket of Arizona. Tuissan Metro was like one of the first cities in America to have a non discrimination policy, and so then it was like a safe haven for a bunch of queer people. And so it's become this like very like diverse place and it's like super awesome. Ye, Like if you go like Phoenix or Scottsdale, then we get a little iffy. Are really grateful that right now Arizona has a demo kindic governor that's thankfully like blocking out all of these anti trans bills that are trying to get past. I love Arizona for that.
Speaker 2: Who do you consider your community?
Speaker 4: That was a big one. I had to think about that for a second. I was like wow, because I feel like I just always say my community, but now what is my community? Whoa crazy?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: I feel like I have like little pocketed community, like I have like my neighborhood community, Like in my where we're right here, we're like surrounded by queer poc artists, and I think that's cool and I'm like, y'all just gotta let me come over so we can do art. That'd be so cool. And but then I have like my school community, which I feel really grateful for because I'm like really happy that my small circle of like my grade plus like the little bit o where our grades blend, yeah, has been really supportive since I've like transitioned those also, like my family, that's my community too.
Speaker 3: Daniel is showing us pieces of a world we may not have heard about. Knowing our community and feeling connected personally to our neighbors can be vital for creating safe and caring spaces on the local level. As happy as Daniel and his family are in this artistic, diverse pocket of Arizona, they've had to consider what it would mean to move out of state, especially during the last election cycle when a Democratic candidate for governor was running against a very conservative opponent, Katie Hobbs. The Democrat did win, by the way, but still in the past few years, Arizona's legislature has proposed ignoring pronouns, banning trans kids from bathrooms, taking away funding for any any sort of quote unquote drag performance, and leaving schools open to lawsuits for having LGBTQ spaces.
Speaker 2: For Like, the people who would say, why don't you just move, what would you say back, We're.
Speaker 4: Really grateful that our whole family like lives in Tucson or at least Phoenix, and so we get a visit. Often I feel like some people really forget that people are really cemented in culture m hm, Because at least in my experience, people who have said that to me are like white Americans who have lived here and culture can be found everywhere. For them, it's America, you know, Right. But I feel like for our meeting, our family lifting up everything and taking somewhere else, can we lift it up and ticket somewhere else? Like where can my mom and my dad rebuild their like art business? We have to restart from like scratch, like things like that. You know, I feel like there's so many things people forget, Like there's a lot of families that just don't have the funds to go buy another house or rent out an apartment somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Amen on top of real financial considerations, even if they were to move, they have to consider what states red or blue really have robust protections in place?
Speaker 2: And there's less options than you'd hope.
Speaker 4: You can't just pick up and go somewhere. You have to think about where it is safer transgender people. You know, where can I go to school safely? Where has safe policies for me? Things like that?
Speaker 2: How does that make you feel to have to think about that as a kid?
Speaker 4: Oh, something that I get really upset about it because some of the kids I go to school with, or like some people that I know do not have to think about things like that, and sometimes I wish I could totally be one of those with us And no, I don't really care about politics. I don't get too political. Oh my gosh, that's like ignorance is bliss. But I'm also like, no, we all pay attention here to like make sure our world's not just like crumble our democracy.
Speaker 3: Daniel is constantly paying attention. By the time I was his age, I also felt a lot of responsibility to protect the climate, and I was really invested in human rights. Talking to Daniel and other young people, it seems like that pressure has only grown and intensified, just like the channels of information that they are exposed to. I also relate to Daniel being frustrated with his classmates because I was like that with mine. I didn't think it was an option not to care. When you're an in betweener and you love people of different and intersecting identities, you see the impact of these issues up close. We'll dive deeper into the layers of Daniel's identity and how he navigates that and how he's being perceived.
Speaker 4: After the break, I find myself having to like step around our eggshells when I'm with just like my white queer friends who don't always get it, and also the same thing with my sister het Mexi.
Speaker 3: Friends stick with us, Welcome back. Sixteen year old Daniel sounds so confident and sure of himself, which is something I absolutely admire. Universally, teenagers are known for having massive insecurities and constantly asking questions about who they are and where they're going.
Speaker 2: Accepting yourself is always.
Speaker 3: A journey, and I know for trans folks that story can take many forms. I was curious how Daniel came to understand himself so fully.
Speaker 2: He's known he was a boy since he.
Speaker 3: Was five or six, and fortunately he had the foundation of family and friends who supported him, and that allowed him to flourish. Once the earliest memory in your life where you felt affirmed, here's.
Speaker 4: A funny story. So when I was like seven, I was in like second grade and being like really confused about why everyone is being so contradictory to my gender. That feels like really known to me, you know, and so me and my friends, like I would tell my friends at school, right and then coming like a sheet and be like, actually, can you guys call me a he and they'd be like sure, why not yeah, and so it was really funny. It would like try out names. There was a class period a math class where I was Tony, I love it and I was like by the end, I was like, no, I don't think that's the one.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's awesome. So when did you settle on Daniel?
Speaker 4: My parents are like what if we pick? And I was like, no, no, you guys are not going to pick. I'll figure it out. When I picked my name, I had to be like ten or eleven. I want to sorry, be a little younger. Between nine to eleven. It was a big Minecraft YouTube fan. I was watching YouTube and it was when dantydm. Do you know who that is? No, he's like a Minecraft YouTuber. He's very famous, and so I used to watch his videos all the time. And one day I think it was like he made like a bunch of money and he was on like the British news and it was like Daniel Middleton has made X amount of dollars on YouTube. So cool, and I heard that I was like, whoa, that's the one someone As I went to mom, can I be Daniel? And she was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, I got it. Okay, okay, so that is how you got your name.
Speaker 4: From alinecraft YouTuber. Great. But my middle name, which is Alonso, is from my grandfather because that's his middle name.
Speaker 2: Oh that's sweet.
Speaker 4: We have one meaningful one.
Speaker 2: Also, what is it like to have supportive parents?
Speaker 3: Look, I know it's crazy that I even have to ask what it's like to be affirmed, because unconditional love, especially love for your child, should be the norm and not the exception.
Speaker 4: I'm very grateful because my parents have given me the resources I've needed. They see me as like a boy, only they use my correct pronouns, they use my name. They create space, they create community for me, and they also did it behind a lot of like closed doors. That way I wouldn't have to see things like that. You know. They came out to my family basically because I was like eight nine, Like how am I going to face a room full of people like that? You know, I'm like a's shy little a Chriel. So they made they made the community. They built the space for me, and they said that they found a space unsafe and supportive. Then they were not in our space, and so I'm really grateful for that.
Speaker 3: How's your extended family. Do you feel like you had to face anything with them?
Speaker 4: I was told when I was younger, I came out to my cousin before anyone else and because she used to babysit me, and I was like, I'm actually a boy. He should call me a heat and so she was like, let's do it. That's awesome, and so at her house and with her husband, but they would just call me he and I got to play on the like PS four. It was awesome. Little did I know that they were like, guess what I found out.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing is, like, this is the problem with like Latin culture.
Speaker 2: It's the cheese may we love the gossip.
Speaker 3: Daniels and my Latinia. They're different shades, but there's a lot of overlap. Latin culture is incredibly loving and at the same time is still grappling with some quote unquote old ways of thinking. On the one hand, and making sure your people are good and happy is paramount. We exist for our families. Yet at the same time, there's this idea of ge vadis. It's the concept that there's a right way.
Speaker 2: Of doing things.
Speaker 3: It's wanting to follow society's rules and caring about your appearance. Gender equality is something that's still being figured out in Latin culture. The expectations of men and women is still pretty rigid in many ways. Often queer sexualities and people who are gender nonconforming are still not understood. Their identities are seen as a choice. Within the Catholic tradition, some people ask how could God be wrong in how.
Speaker 2: They physically made someone?
Speaker 3: But how I see it is the Catholic tradition taught me that the body is just the vessel.
Speaker 2: What makes me in the image.
Speaker 3: Of God is my soul, my mind, my spirit, and God did not get that wrong, and to me, that's why it's crucial to trust others journeys. These ideas are really ingrained, So even if someone wants to be more open minded and accepting of their friends and family members, someone like Daniel might be coming up against how these ideas are deeply cemented and take time to unlearn. But as a kid up against this, it can feel scary, infuriating, and unfair to have to wait for adults to respect you and treat you how you deserve to be.
Speaker 4: At my Lightning and Fleen party, which was just about cars, not but gender, they thought that was our way of coming out, and so they were not happy. It was definitely harder me and my mom and my dad. We stepped away from both sides of the family for like two ish years. A lot of them didn't understand, they didn't want to understand for a lot of other good chunks of time. And only so many of them have come around. And sometimes they like slip up and they say the wrong things, and sometimes they say really wrong things. You know, in the beginning they are not all for it. But I'm grateful that at least a good majority of them are.
Speaker 3: Shout out to all the caregivers and parents who have been put in in the work. Daniel told me that this isn't the case for some of his friends' families. Their parents will quote unquote forget that their kid came out, refuse to let go of the child they thought they were raising, or they think using pronouns is enough and don't provide other forms of support. According to the Trevor Project, the sad reality is that nearly forty percent of homeless youth are LGBTQ kids who have been rejected by their families. So what are the ways in which you feel like you think people should be supportive. What are the resources that you think every queer kid needs or trans kids need.
Speaker 4: I feel like step one is having parents that are willing to do the work. Because once you have a family or like a space that is going to be safe and supportive for you, then everything comes a little easier because, for example, my parents they were like, okay, we got it. And so that's when we went to school, like archs just for a school and had a meeting and was like, hey, our kids trans you have to accommodate a B and C. And some schools are going to be crazy and be like now we're not going to do a B and C for you. As that's when I'm like, okay, cool, our kid's not going to go here no more.
Speaker 3: Daniel feels that the biggest thing to remember is that we have to be willing to learn and grow. That is often the best form of support.
Speaker 4: Well, let's like talk about it. A lot of like disrespect, like from like family, like friends, doesn't come from like hate, it comes from ignorance.
Speaker 3: This open attitude of ask me questions, let's talk can be so productive and also really draining, especially if there's a lot of misinformation or fear mongering surrounding the topic. Some of those biases might come out in the questions that are being asked.
Speaker 4: I'll have someone like ask me the craziest questions out of pure ignorance.
Speaker 3: I'll be like, hey, whoa, can you give an example of what you mean by that? Or like a crazy question that you've had, like a friend or a family member ask you like.
Speaker 4: In third grade, which was when I just started my social transition, and there was like it was like twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, and so now we're in like this uprise of anti trans missinformation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so if I was sick for three days and I would come back, kids would genuinely come up to me like did you get the surgery yet?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I'm eight, and I feel like if I was older, I would have been like, that's not appropriate to ask people. And I also know, because I'm eight.
Speaker 3: Little kids are sponges who absorb all kinds of ideas from the world and adults around them. But questions like this will be familiar to anyone who's been other And look, the reality is, sometimes our biases run so deep we are gonna mess up.
Speaker 2: That's part of life. I've been on both sides of this.
Speaker 3: I've been asked overly invasive questions and I've also said the wrong thing. And when you mess up, it doesn't mean that you should pull away from hard conversations altogether.
Speaker 2: It just means we need.
Speaker 3: To have the wherewithal to realize that maybe a question was too private or personal, and to be more receptive and kinder next time, because even if it's unintentional, a lack of awareness can come off as invasive or callous. It can feel like you're turning someone's experience into entertainment. The person answering your question might feel vulnerable or hurt. I think of one of the tenets of the famous book, the Four Agreements, and it's something my mother likes to remind me of, which is don't make assumptions. It's hard to weed out and notice our assumptions. Get is vital in order to have better communication and care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: Like it's funny because I find this even with like Latino identity, right, like whenever you're a minority in any way, sometimes people ask really inappropriate questions as like the first round of things, versus being like, hey, how are you Are you okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, as simple as that.
Speaker 4: I recently was talking to one of my friends, right, and I was like, I me and my other friend were on the car. We were talking because both were my dad's immigrated here from Mexico, right, okay, And so we were talking about that and I was like, no, yeah, my dad immigrated here. And then our friend jargon was like, oh, did he come here legally or illegally? And I was like that's your first thought? Leave me alone?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? Wow, that's so interesting.
Speaker 3: But then also like people don't talk about that, So sometimes when people don't ask, sometimes you don't get the opportunity, which is like a weird catch twenty two too. If they don't ask, you don't get the opportunity to be like, hey, that's not a great question, and it's like also a little bit of a dangerous question depending on how while we know each other.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: That's what I always mean between ignorance and hate, because I feel like a lot of growth happens when I talk to like when I have a dialogue with people and be like, actually, you shouldn't ask questions like that or actually this question sounds comfortable for me to answer, but for a lot of other showing people it might not be. A part of me feels grateful that at least they're asking me. Like some points, I can get upset about it, but alsotimes I just think it's funny sometimes. And maybe that's my brain compartmentalizing crazy things happening or something. I don't know, but like I sometimes find it funny and I'm like, oh, dude, you're so silly.
Speaker 3: I love that Daniel has the ability to bring lightheartedness to a serious conversation while he's used to having to represent so many groups of people. I'm sure it can be lonely and finding spaces to call home is important. Do you get to hang out with a lot of other queer and trans kids or is it like a specific case did you have to like create and build the community. Oh?
Speaker 4: Actually, my parents totally did that for me. They totally built queer youth around me at school. We build it ourselves. But my parents went and found a family support group and there was like three o their families and there were like thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and I was like eight.
Speaker 3: That's kind of great, though, It's like then you have like older siblings too, like in certain ways, So when have you felt seen Tell me the.
Speaker 4: First day we went to this support group, it's me and all the older kids, but they're really cool and we got to hang out and play like goldfish and Food's Bone. And then by the end of it, my mom was like, oh, Daniel, it's time to go, and I was like, okay, buy my new friends peace out. And so we left and on our drive back was like, so, what was it like being with a bunch of other trans kids? And I was like they were trans, ay, And I feel like that moment was like very significant because I mean, and my family are in the middle of this like really hard time with like family and school. So in a lot of spaces, I was like the trans kid. Yeah, but in this space I didn't have to be. I feel like when I look back on it, I was like, there was like a sense of like knowing and understanding each other. Yeah, I didn't get to have yet, And so then experiencing it was really awesome.
Speaker 3: It's such a great feeling when you feel at ease and at home. But being an in between her means fitting in will always be multi layered. For Daniel, even being with trans and queer friends, he may not feel fully understood because he's Latino, and likewise, with his cisgender and heterosexual Latin friends, he may feel like his queerness isn't fully seen. What is it like I like to be queer and Latino in Arizona?
Speaker 4: I would say it's pretty tough on the low, actually not even on the low, on the up high. Trying to find the crossroads is one of the most difficult parts of it because sometimes if I hang out with some of my white and queer friends, being like white and queer versus being like bipocking queer is a very different experience, and I find myself having to like step around eggshells when I'm with just like my white queer friends who don't always get it, and also the same thing with my sister hed Mexi friends.
Speaker 3: I also remember you told me a story where your white queer friends were like, why are you being so ghetto?
Speaker 2: Or like, why do you look ghetto?
Speaker 4: I were like a value shirt with the chain and some pants and they were like, hen you you look like a gangster, and I was like, you don't say that to me.
Speaker 3: I can relate when you're white passing. The days you don't pass as white are days that you especially pay the consequences for With hurtful jokes and assumptions. The stereotypes come out, and people feel like they get a free pass to say something since you're so obviously not simulating. When you're alone, the only one that becomes even more the case. Having to vocalize boundaries is something Daniel and everyone who has some sort of multi layered background has had to do, even with loved ones, no matter how hard or seemingly insignificant. Something Daniel and I have in common is that we're proud of our Latino roots, and neither of us have backed away or hidden them, which can make you feel both connected and isolated. This sense of standing up for your full self is what Daniel brings to his activism more when we come back from this break and we're back having been in the political arena testifying since he was nine, Daniel has dealt with all the ups and downs of talking to adults in power. When he first started, I do.
Speaker 4: Remember I feeling like really excited and like empowered. Afterwards, Yeah, yeah, like all these people actually listened.
Speaker 3: Now Daniel's already a seasoned activist at the age of sixteen, and a lot has changed over time.
Speaker 2: What's it like doing it now? How do you feel now?
Speaker 4: Like now? When I feel invisible is mostly like when I have to go testify or when I have to go meet with people the government official represent officials that surprisingly you would have thought would have been it would have been an opposite. But that's really when I face a lot of transphobia. And that's really when I face a lot of discrimination and things like that, when people, when our own representatives who are there to protect me and represent me right, end up flipping that on its head, and in all actuality, they're putting me in more danger than I was before. It's really the meaning. It's really disheartening because they just ignore a lot of what you say.
Speaker 3: So much effort and energy goes into these meetings, and then while Daniel is testifying, suddenly the subject will be changed, and unfortunately he ends up feeling unheard.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. A lot of the times the representatives try to be like, oh cutesye I love kids, blah blah blah blah, and they ask really the meaning questions. One time, I was like the only reason I've been successful in school and been able to keep these good grades and I live that happy teenage life is because I was supported my school and I mentioned that I was in jazz combo. One of the representatives like, oh, what do you play? I was like, that's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They'll ask things like that and then they'll say yes and they'll pass these harmful, discriminatory bills. I feel like that's a lot of times when I feel unseen. All they see is some little kid. What is he gonna know?
Speaker 3: Despite these continuous letdowns, he does this work because he knows he's part of something bigger and it has to be done.
Speaker 4: They're going to vote and why they're going to vote, and a lot of time testimony doesn't like matter to them, which is like really annoying and like infuriating. But I feel like it's also really important at the same time, because if you're on the record, you see how many people, like people that like historians go through this stuff, and I'm like, I don't know, y'all are going to see that. There was a lot of trans people who did not like these bills, men who strongly like were like, please do not past these bills and they did it anyways, you know, right, they know what they're doing, and it's import that we see that they're know what they're doing instead of treating them like children that don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Daniel doesn't feel like he's only being failed on the state level or only by Republicans. Our conversation happened well before the year's presidential election, but Daniel still had concerns regardless of what party was in power. He's not only being let down when it comes to trans rights. He believes all youth need to have a bigger say when it comes to the policies that affects their future.
Speaker 4: I feel like a lot of times we get stuck having to settle for people like politicians, people that say they care, but also like don't. I'm grateful Joe Biden supports trans kids, but he also won't ensure a safe world for us in the future like climate change, yeah, or a police reform, And so it feels contradictory when you want to love and protect like the youth in your country, especially trans youth, but you also won't ensure that they'll have a safe world in the future.
Speaker 2: What do you wish you had more control.
Speaker 4: Over that's a big question. What the heck?
Speaker 2: I know, sorry, I.
Speaker 4: Mean if I could, like, if I could play out them and be like, are you gonna go over here? You're going to do all that? I wish I could just like make it a lot easier for like younger trans.
Speaker 3: Kids, because trans kids are up against a lot. There's a whole political machine trying to prevent them from living their lives freely and fully. The bathroom bill is a perfect example. It's at the core of the anti trans movement, and in some way, fighting over bathrooms can seem frivolous and unnecessary, but it's a tactic of oppression that has been used for generations. It's used to control a person's ability to be part of public life. It's a tactic we've seen before in the civil rights movements and the Chicano rights movement. Now trans kids are the latest targets in the mission to marginalize people. Daniel wants trans people to be seen as more than just body parts in their full humanity, and his activism centers that so beautifully. Just look at trans prom.
Speaker 4: Trance prom was like a rally me and all my other friends put together and it was a big protest dance on the National Mall in Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Over two hundred people attended from across seventeen states. The event made national headlines.
Speaker 4: We marshally Supreme Court, and the party did not end there. We kept dancing to our representatives all in there that are colicking up some hateful legislation and they're stuck in their office chair and they look out the window and riving a party. But guess what, they're not invited. Boohoo.
Speaker 3: In the face of fear tactics that often paint trans people as scary, trans prom.
Speaker 2: Is a beautiful display of a joyful.
Speaker 3: Resistance and existence. How do you stay inspired and how do you stay positive? How do you not get discouraged by like what's happening?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's like a case by case thing again, because for me sometimes if I'm posted somewhere and I get hay comments, like, I start kind of giggling, Like I was posted on like a government Instagram page and they were like interviews with trans kids and their parents. It was a really great piece. I really liked it. But someone commented for my gas prices now this, and I was like I don't know how I'm tied together with your gas prices. I'm really sorry that's happening. It's not my fault, right, I want the lower too, Dude.
Speaker 2: It's funny that you talk about like how much you laugh. It's like you cultivate a sense of like play and joy, Like you look at things with a lot of joy. Is that true?
Speaker 4: I'd say so. My friends are like Daniel, you walk around the world with so much joy, and I'm like, yeah, I do. I feel like when I say sometimes I feel kind of snabby about it because I know a lot of other trans people don't see it with this much joy. And I feel like it's because I've had really supportive parents, and I've been supported at school, and I'm in a state right now that thankfully rest assured for the next two years, there's not going to be like any anti trans bills being passed unless they bypass the governor's veto. But like, we're in this safe bubble and I've been able to cultivate my own confidence.
Speaker 3: Hearing Daniel say that he feels guilty over his joy breaks my heart because joy is something that should be present in every child.
Speaker 2: It's life.
Speaker 3: But Daniel knows that these circumstances that helped him feel safe and happy are not afforded to everyone. What's something that you think would make the world a better place if everyone did it.
Speaker 4: This is gonna sound so corny that if people actually abided by the Golden rule, treat others the way they want you want to be treated. I still feel like I wish people listened more, being a good listener and being willing to grow, and being willing to accept and set boundaries, being like a cantering person, and not just like caring about like people around you, but like Karen about like the world around them. That just been good but dumb south Park quote of when Carvin was like, what's the difference between gods and emos? And he was like, emos cry about themselves and goths cry about the world. And I think that's so funny, So.
Speaker 2: You want to cry about the world.
Speaker 3: Hearing this South Park reference after a deep moment is a perfect reminder that Daniel is still just a sixteen year old and also very human. We oscillate from serious topics to silly random references, but ultimately his message is so genuine. Have love for the world around you. Our youth understands the world they are inheriting, and they wish to root it in good, accepting, loving, peaceful policies. I hope through this conversation we listen closely and start helping them create better spaces for their future and their present.
Speaker 2: Next week, we'll.
Speaker 3: Be traveling to another red state, one that often gets ignored and I feel like we weren't taught much about West Virginia. West Virginia is home to some very quintessential American workers, coal miners. Coal miners are proudly all we've got asked for is to be traded brout and give knowledge day's work for knowledge day's pay. We'll be talking with three wonderful unionized coal miners about their experiences and thoughts on what their community needs to survive. Thank you so much for listening to When You're Invisible. Please leave us a rating and a review to let us know what you think. You can find this episode and future ones on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. When You're Invisible is a production of iHeart Podcasts and myke Gudura podcast Network. I'm your creator and host, Maria Fernanda Vies. Our story editor is Dylan Hoyer. This season was produced by ME with additional production from Dylan Hoyer. Sound designed by Dylan Hoyer with additional support from ME, Mixing and mastering by Laurence Stump.
Speaker 2: Original theme music by Tony Bruno.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Anna Stump and Gisel Frances and special thanks to our Lean Santana