Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to and that's what you really missed a Gleaking news episode.
Speaker 2: Clicking note. We have Heather Morris on today because she has something very exciting that she has just put out into the world. And it's not a child, She's got two of those.
Speaker 1: It's a creative child. And now she's got two seasons of a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. So without further ado, let's talk to the one and only Heather Morris.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is some big Glee family news. Heather's back because she has an incredible project to talk about. We're very, very very excited to talk about it with her because she's brilliant and smart and a producer and a creator and a writer the actress. We're talking about her very successful scripted podcast, The Bystanders. That's season two is out now.
Speaker 3: Season two.
Speaker 1: Those congrats, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I brought even more of the Glee gang back together because we all love it.
Speaker 5: Jay Lynch and Darren Chris hopped on board.
Speaker 4: We made got a lot such a fun, weird zany storyline this season two. I mean we took it, you know, pretty zany season one, but season two it's a lot of fun, a lot of weirdness, and so Darren Chris of course was like, well, yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm going to play it. I'm going to play this.
Speaker 2: Of course, weird is the quicker one of us will say yes, precisely, yeah, you know that about us.
Speaker 5: It was not weird. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: It feels like yesterday that we were talking about you were like calling me to ask me about some like logistics and things, and you were like, how do I get these people to do this? Genuinely and like I'm just getting this off the ground.
Speaker 5: I called her and I was like, I need your help.
Speaker 4: Your a Tony Award winning human being who's produced other productions.
Speaker 5: Tell me everything you know about this.
Speaker 4: I mean not podcasting in general, but like you have a lot of knowledge about how to just get shit done.
Speaker 3: Oh that's kind, it's true, that's kind. To be fair, this is not my world though, and so I was like, I don't know howmon Dragon Home.
Speaker 2: But you did it.
Speaker 1: You didn't do it, and here you are, and I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: This is really exciting. So season one was really fun. You had some glead people, you had Hitchcock and Kristin channel with and that was like your first go at it.
Speaker 2: Not bad, not too shabby, not too shabby.
Speaker 3: Tell us about season two, when did it come about, and like what was your feelings about, like going into it having done a season already, like under your belt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I mean season one was basically when I was approa well on approach, but when I was like shooting the shit with Ash Lindsay and Jaqueline Hales and discussing this first season it was supposed to be like a TV show on a movie, and I basically said to them like, hey, listen, I really want to turn this into a podcast.
Speaker 5: Have you listened to a scripted podcast?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: I love this world.
Speaker 4: It's this whole new genre and I think this could really fit well there. And so, I mean, obviously we know a lot about that first season. If you haven't listened to it, I implore you to go listen to it.
Speaker 5: It's so incredible.
Speaker 4: It's like this nineteen thirties radio drama.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like listening to a play so cool.
Speaker 1: It's like going back to the time of just radio, you know, like.
Speaker 4: We have this cool musical score because a lot of these podcasts you listen to, I mean they're wonderful actors and a great cast, and not as great as sound engineer as us. We have a great team Alex Carter and Tim McEwan who produced this, but yeah, I mean there's just so much fun and richness in this and I think we just took it to that next level. So, you know, season two, we just had a bigger budget and I jumped on board as a writer this season, and so it was, Yeah, so I got to my first hand at like long form writing, because I've only done like short films and like small little skits, but never have I taken it this far. So Ash lindsay and Jacqueline Halls, who are the creators and writers and directors and all those cool things, definitely navigated us through that. And that was a challenge and also really fun. And just like I learned a lot about show running, which is kind of an upper.
Speaker 5: Hand for females because there's not a lot of female showrunners. So it was really great for all of us just.
Speaker 4: To learn that that whole world and just like learn writing and like basically just shoved a bunch of knowledge down our throats and we learned a lot of hard lessons, but you know, we just were so blessed with like casting, Like we got a cad casting director Rodriguez and Schwab who you know, work under our dear friends, and so yeah, that was really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about casting for a second, because this cast is insane, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Like the first one.
Speaker 1: Kathleen the hell y'all, Kathleen Turner?
Speaker 4: What's interesting about that name?
Speaker 2: That was like to us, she is a legend, She's an icon.
Speaker 5: She's an icon, and like for all of us writers and creators, we're just like, I mean.
Speaker 4: The guests, the get of the guests, and then you go to like the REGs humans of the world. Like I would say, my husband is like, you know, he loves art, but he's not like he's not a performer.
Speaker 5: So I'm talking about Kathleen Turner and he's like, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: And I said, I said, Chandler's mom and friends.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yes, Chandler's mom and friends. I'm like, that's all you need to know.
Speaker 2: The identify it. Yes, so true.
Speaker 5: Oh, Chandler's dad, I should say it was Chandler's.
Speaker 1: Dad, right, right, even better.
Speaker 3: But then you've got Margaret Chow and and then we've got Luke Cook, who's like just so funny and I knew him from like training mate back in the day.
Speaker 1: It's just still wild.
Speaker 2: Oh but right.
Speaker 1: But then we have our Wayne Night.
Speaker 5: I mean way auditioned.
Speaker 1: What newman?
Speaker 5: We got Newman to send in a tape. We doesn't even ask for him.
Speaker 4: We just got our you know, we got our producer's tapes, which these actors get the sides, and he was one of them.
Speaker 1: Wow, yes, the answer is, yes, you're hired.
Speaker 5: We'll create a job for you.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: That's really awesome.
Speaker 5: We were so lucky with this this cast.
Speaker 4: I was just talking to Luke Cook and I was like, I mean, you say you auditioned, but you were our first choice for this role, and the fact that you sent it in and you nailed it, Like, how lucky are we that we.
Speaker 5: Got you for this job?
Speaker 4: And so many I mean, the whole cast was just truly, truly so cool. Like we got to go in studio with Darren Chris and Wayne Knight. They were the only ones that we went in studio to listen to and I sat in the back corner with Wayne Knight.
Speaker 5: And even Darren Chris.
Speaker 4: I mean, Darren Criffs was just so funny watched, but like Wayne Knight, I was very ya.
Speaker 2: Star strap for Tremblin in the band and how exciting to to like get to create this thing that you got to write on and then like hav them all these legends, like play with the words that all of you put together. You put this team together, right team effort, Like how did that feel? Coming off of like season one? You went very quickly from like asking Jenna, how do I do this? To scoring these gigantic people to be like a bigger budget.
Speaker 5: To texting season one.
Speaker 4: I just I got numbers from people and I just texted them and said, hey, will you do this project?
Speaker 5: And it was COVID and everybody's.
Speaker 2: What happened to you? People? Let it be a lesson. Everyone likes Heather, Well, thank you so much. Good people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there might be people in my past lives that could say differently based on the mindset at the time.
Speaker 3: That's fair. I feel the same. Yeah, I know the same boat.
Speaker 1: And then of course you have like your your friends, cast, your friends.
Speaker 4: I mean, I still even texted Jane and I said, hey, do you want to do this? We got Kathleen Turner. Does that sell it for you?
Speaker 2: And Jane?
Speaker 5: It's just so incredible. She just is down to do whatever.
Speaker 2: I was listening to you this morning and I it made me think of sorry for the Glee reference, but when she was the Grinch and she's like talking through that whole thing, like she's using like the same voice, and I realized, it's like Sue's journals.
Speaker 5: It is no it is full Sue's journals.
Speaker 2: And it makes me feel like so comforted, like hearing her voice, I know, talk you through this entire like who done it? Crazy weird mystery.
Speaker 4: There's nobody more perfect. And I think the best sell too was in a usual who Done It? Especially in the thirties and forties, it was mostly narrated by a male, and it was not hard to pitch to Jane and say, listen, we're a female, we're a female creative team, and we want this to be a female narrating this show that would generally be a male, and we want your iconic voice to be the voice for it. And it was a no brainer and there's a bunch of like random ass Joe Pesci jokes where we basically make fun of Joe Peshi the whole time, and she loved that.
Speaker 1: So we got to you love that.
Speaker 3: We love that.
Speaker 2: I'm a sucker for who'd done it. So this is very satisfying for me.
Speaker 5: It is very satisfying.
Speaker 3: Are you a true crime like junkie or was this something that came like another way?
Speaker 4: Well, see, I can't do the podcast true crime because I get too I get too anxious in life. And yeah, even at one point Taylor came to me, our male lady like I was a male man at the time, skipped our house and it happened a couple of days in a row, and my husband came to me and he got well Taylor.
Speaker 5: Taylor was like, do.
Speaker 4: You think he's like a child sex offender? That's why he doesn't come to our house? And I was like, Taylor, how many is how many podcasts true crime podcasts have you listened to? It was like, yeah, maybe I should stop.
Speaker 5: So anyways, I.
Speaker 4: Do really love dark humor and dark comedy and I watch a lot of Law and Order SVU.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, okay, So that's it. That's what it is.
Speaker 3: I just get it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that, but I'm just fascinated.
Speaker 2: Do you watch like me the Knives Out series and like those types of yes.
Speaker 5: I love the Boys. The Boys isn't really true crime, but there's still.
Speaker 3: Like a yeah, you know something.
Speaker 4: There's it's the weird ship in there, and that's like you're laughing at people getting blown up, and you're like.
Speaker 5: Why am I laughing?
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, if there's something wrong with that with you and and all of this, there's something wrong with America and the way that we we enjoyed just dark comedy, because the like attack and for the first episode of season two is also hilarious, like.
Speaker 2: This everybody talking anyway. I don't want to spoil what happens in this, I know, but it's so funny. And also you're like, oh, this is terrifying.
Speaker 4: I just actually listened to season one. And so Season one of the Bystanders podcast is loosely based on the Kitty Jenevezy story, which is the whole Bystanders psychological phenomenon that studied about, you know, a woman who basically gets attacked in her apartment complex and there's like a bunch of people who witness it and they don't do anything. And it had a lot more so to do with at the time, she was a gay woman, and you know, they they didn't want to get involved or whatever those excuses were.
Speaker 5: And so that I just listened to that. And I remember when we.
Speaker 4: Were when we were going through the audio portion of it and and and deciding what we needed to cut and what we what we wanted to keep, and we kept going like this is this too much stabbing? Like is there too much for the listener? You know, like in your ears? Is that like a reason to shut off? And it's the same with season two. It's like, you know, they every episode, every episode one, we start out with like the the emergency situation, How are these bystanders going to respond to this?
Speaker 5: How are they going to help? How are they not going to help?
Speaker 4: And so you do get that same exact situation in season two where a man is basically asking for help, and to their best ability, these people are not, you know, they're making excuses after excuses, which is interesting. When we went into the writing process of it, we were like, how do we not shame these people? You know, like how do you how do you make people not feel ashamed of this? And so you'll find later on like these people are learning lessons about life and how they can take away from, like, you know, what they didn't do or how they can move forward with that.
Speaker 2: During that writing process, are you all also sharing how you might react or how you have reacted and sort of where you have been the actual bystander in real life to things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we definitely sat there and talked about it. We were like, what have you done? What have you not done? Why did you make an excuse? Because you have to get into the headspace of these cares, right you have to figure out like where they're coming from. So you establish these characters right away, their point of view, why they would say no, like we have a lawyer, you know, Like we have a lawyer on there who doesn't want to get sued. She doesn't want her husband to get sued. There's just so many different situations.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: They're they're in water, one of them can't swim, and so there's reality to it, you know.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 1: It's like different motives, different way.
Speaker 3: It's like when when people talk about like oh, somebody gets really scared, somebody pops out and scares you, and you're in the situation where some people are like.
Speaker 1: I would run and hide, I.
Speaker 3: Would punch them in the phase, or I would freeze, like you to freeze.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, exactly exactly. You mentioned a sound mixing earlier, and I have to say that is the first thing I noticed from the onset of starting season two. It sounds and credible, like you're immediately and I've listened to others, like other scripted podcasts before, and like you said, great actors, great writing, They're great. However, and you have it in the actual description of the episodes to wear headphones if possible, right, And I love that you put that in there because it is an entire like sound, an entire environment. Because I started listening to it on my phone and I saw that and I was like, no, no, no, I have to this Justice, and I put on my headphones. I was like, oh my god, it's like it's crazy. There is something happening and all the time where you feel like I'm like I'm on the boat. I'm I'm I'm on the water right now. Literally, yes, and it.
Speaker 5: Is Kevin, Thank you so much for selling that you just sold.
Speaker 2: That's the truth. No, it's gone away by it. How important was that going into this, Like was that like several discussions that you had about, you know, creating this environment.
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And we worked with with Alex Carter, who did the audio engineering in season one, and he basically came to us in season two and he said, we have the opportunity to go to a Dolby.
Speaker 5: Atmost studio where we can.
Speaker 4: Go and mix this in a way that will make the experience just level up a million times, like Mario got the fireballs level up, you know what I mean, hopefully people get that.
Speaker 5: Reference, but seriously like so, and we were lucky enough to get to experience.
Speaker 4: That with with with the whole team. We all flew out to Nashville and we went to a Dolby Atmost mixing studio and there are speed you get into this room that is just filled. They basically just like designed this soundscape where there's like no sound bouncing off the walls, so you're only hearing the sound you know that's coming from the speakers.
Speaker 5: It's purest form and so you have speakers all around you.
Speaker 4: I kind of posted some of it on my Instagram, And so we got to direct these episodes in that studio for a week straight.
Speaker 5: We got to sit in there and listen bit by bit and like kind of.
Speaker 4: Hash out like where is this person coming from the doors at the front of the room.
Speaker 5: They're heading towards the back of the room.
Speaker 4: Those are things as a creative that I have goosebumps, like it gets.
Speaker 5: It got me so excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was in that seat every day, Like how lucky am I that I get to sit here and create the soundscape for people to listen to.
Speaker 2: That's really cool, fulfilling thing that you probably also didn't expect coming into this whole adventure.
Speaker 4: Probably the I least expected that one the most for sure, Like I was like, Oh, we're going to get a cool cast this season, and the budget's going to be bigger, we get to do some campaigns. But no, it was sitting in that room and listening to that and just going wow, Like they played some Prince music for us and we got to listen to that in three D. It just was like it was a pinchre moment for us. So and we have a wonderful musical score from Tory Cummins as well. Who just just made it feel like you were in a play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a full play, it's a full movie. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: So so cool, elevated, elevated. Does it make you want to create more things like this?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? It does.
Speaker 4: I mean this is visual, right, Like, this will be a visual and this will be something that you see and just every time I listen to it, I can picture you know, what it's going to look like. And that's the fun of podcasts. It's like reading a book. You know, you're you're basically deciding what it's going to be and what it's.
Speaker 5: Going to look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your immation is instantly activated.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and so you're kind of like your own director in a way when you're listening to it. And so the way I envision it and I see it, I just can't wait to see this go visual and who will bring it to life alongside with us?
Speaker 2: So that that's the plan, that's the plan. Great? Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Luke Cook, just a moment ago was like, so, so who's going to pick this up? And can I be in it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he would say, of course. I'm sure everyone had such a good time working with your entire team. They're like, yeah, when this goes, you need us. We have to be there exactly. I mean what a lesson. Also, like you said in show running and I guess safer, I feel like almost more manageable environment to learn that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a really good point too.
Speaker 4: It really felt manageable for us, and it wasn't like we got thrown into a like just this like fast running oiled machine, whereas most shows I think like once you're stepping on that set or that wherever it is, whoever is producing this Amazon and Hulu, even if it's small, it's like they have their teams and they're ready to go, and they are kind of going, and so there's not really room to learn and grow.
Speaker 2: Like bosses with big budgets of every day. This is costing one hundred thousand dollars, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the stakes are I mean they're high for you, but like there there's like a safe place, safe place, safe, safe guys, safe.
Speaker 2: Place that I'm seeing that a safe place.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we definitely felt that the whole time, and we were just our executive producer, Mary Elie Stafford provided that for us. She was like, I'm here for you, guys, and I also want to learn and this is just a really great way for us to do that.
Speaker 5: We're professionals, so it wasn't like we're all just knew like we all knew what we were doing.
Speaker 2: Sure, and they.
Speaker 5: Keep telling us podcast world is the wild wild West, and it's.
Speaker 4: Like, truly, it actually isn't though, Like it's the same concept. Why keep treating it like it? You know, we're really pushing for especially like with the strike and stuff, Like the podcast world is basically free so for us as producers, like the learning curve of no, we can make money from this and we don't have to have hundreds and thousands of listeners. You know, we made this season a subscription because rightfully, so if you're going to see this.
Speaker 5: In the movies, you're going to pay money for it. If you're going to buy it on Amazon, you're going to pay money for it.
Speaker 2: And like that was.
Speaker 4: Important to us, was like, this is an art form and we hope that you know, people respect that, that they know that this is something that we're just not making for fun, and it's like here it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's like heart and passion in it, yes, but exactly like people deserve to be paid for their work and their service and their time.
Speaker 1: It's why the strike is happening. Is like, yes, you know, there's fairness, and just because art is so kind of out there and can be wild Westy doesn't mean that it should be free and that people aren't giving time, the time and their whole selves to it.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, g Entertainment just doesn't show up out of nowhere. It takes a lot of hours from a lot of people who have a lot going on in their lives and they put their talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Where can people listen to this podcast? Heather Well?
Speaker 4: The podcast is available on Apple Podcasts as well as on our website, The Buysingers podcast dot com.
Speaker 5: Both of those are they are available up there.
Speaker 4: I believe season one is free and then season two is now a subscription.
Speaker 2: Great episodes.
Speaker 5: All episodes of season two are out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys have a social as well, right, you have a Bystanders.
Speaker 4: Bystanders podcast, the The Underscore Bystanders Underscore podcast on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Okay, amazing, I know it's so good.
Speaker 1: Creator, I can't writer producer Heather Morris.
Speaker 4: Everybody, Oh my god, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Moul in my mind.
Speaker 1: No, we say we're proclaiming for you.
Speaker 3: So there you have it.
Speaker 2: We're together right here, right now.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to the to the Lady Crew, because you know what, women rock and you guys are so talented and people need to hear all of the art that.
Speaker 2: You guys make, so always and forever, we love you. Thank you so much, so proud with you guys. Thanks for sharing your creativity with the world.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: We need it. You're brilliant, are you guys?
Speaker 3: Have you guys been done for a minute or have you guys been like hitting the pavement hard?
Speaker 4: We know, we basically got done. We finished. We finished like a rough editing before we went to Nashville, but Nashville was like two weeks before we were releasing.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh wow fast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were still giving notes like five days before we we the put the podcast up.
Speaker 2: Amazing da. I love that though, because then you don't have to sit on this thing and anticipate, like wait, all the anticipation. It's just out. You created it, put it out, have to think about it for to get into the world. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's that weird loll too, where you're like, yeah, so excited, so excited, and then it happens, and we all called each other that day and we're like, are we depressed or are we just having an anxiety attack? Like what does this mean?
Speaker 3: Because it's done totally, You're done, and your waiting this thing you've spent so much time on with these people.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine.
Speaker 4: I imagine for y'all too, Like that was probably weird for season one of Glee too, or like any project you're doing, like you do it and then you're kind of waiting and you're like, well.
Speaker 2: It's different. I feel like podcasting is sort of more comparable to music or like what you did? You create this entire six episode thing and then you put it out and like when you put on an album or song or something like, like it feels like you just press a button and then you just sit there, like there's no confetti cannons going off, there's you know, it's like it feels climactic in a way. That's true because then you wait, you have to wait for people for it to reach people, and like all the people who spend their time leaving comments or getting on your social media, like that's the only way we hear about it, like hear how this is impacting people. So what a funny.
Speaker 4: Digital world because to kind of go to those reviews and you look there.
Speaker 5: Like anything you're doing, You're going, how do.
Speaker 4: People perceive this? Yeah, and you kind of have to trust in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't that a situation perceiving this? Is it reaching people?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: We don't know a big part of it.
Speaker 5: You're just kind of hoping and waiting and like, yeah, I mean we know it's good. That's the important part.
Speaker 4: And I always want to think too, like ash Ash Lindsay and Jaqueline Hills for kind of.
Speaker 5: Trusting me with this, like this idea to take it into a different realm.
Speaker 4: Because I don't know, discussing with other actors too, and just creatives in general, like the pivot moment where like you have an idea of something and you can't hold onto it too lately because you just kind of have to let things be and allowing somebody like myself to come in and be like, let's pivot to a whole different genre and something that like probably nobody's created like this before well for quite some time.
Speaker 5: I mean it took almost like one hundred years for us to get back to this moment. People who listening to these.
Speaker 4: Long ago Yeah, and it worked then, why can't it work now? And so I'm always grateful that they just took that leap with me and just kind of trusted me.
Speaker 5: And then more so.
Speaker 4: Even like the whole team, like the actors who have come on board who love it and think it's funny, and listeners like you who think it's funny, Like just trust people trusting you.
Speaker 5: I think it's like scary, but it feels really good.
Speaker 3: It's huge.
Speaker 2: It's just so cool and you don't know unless you do it. And like the fact that you can be malleable and not you know, your plans and your ideas are not setting stone and you can just sort of pivot a whole different medium.
Speaker 4: And and sometimes it hurts you too, like especially your ego, because you tell a million people about it and everybody says it's cool, and then you're trying to pitch it and you're in these meetings with these companies and they love the idea and you're like, okay, now can we start it and they're like.
Speaker 2: Mmm, yeah yeah, and you're like.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I guess I have to take matters into my own hands and do it myself that amen.
Speaker 2: But that's what always happens, you know. And then you look, you look back in five years and you go, oh, if I didn't pivot and take matters in my own hands, I would never be where I am now never. And that's what you got to get shit done. Can't wait on other people.
Speaker 5: You cannot. Kind of the biggest life lesson.
Speaker 2: That's right. Proud of you always, Hemo, we love you, Hemo, I love you guys. Everyone, Go subscribe to season two.
Speaker 5: Season two The Buy Singer's Podcast.
Speaker 4: Margaret Chow, Kathleen Turner, Jane Lynch, Joelo Trulio, Myla Man is raising the Chipotle like coming.
Speaker 2: Go get perfect, perfect timing. We love you, Love you, love you guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks of course, bye bye bye. Well, everybody who loves and knows Heather Morris and Brittany S. Pierce, go tell your friends who don't know and should know Heather Morris and the Bystanders Podcast. It's just fun to see your friends do great things. Go subscribe on Apple podcast or through their website. It's so good and it's so fun, you know, hearing how much work they put into it, and there are some incredible people on it. So do yourselves a favor and go listen to Bystanders Season two. That's what you really missed, Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you Really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time,