Speaker 1: The guys from Ping. They've kind of showed me how much equipment matters. I just love that I can hit any shot. I kind of want.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Proving Grounds podcast. Here with Saw Hit Tagala in the Ping Tour truck. Is this where the magic happens or you happens? Are you a visitor of this like weekly? Do you come over this way much? Do you kind of tinker a lot with your stuff?
Speaker 1: You know? I'm not a big tinker. I really don't. Well, I don't think I am, although recently I feel like I have been Actually I haven't been in the truck that much, but I feel like I've had guys going and out of the truck with Ko and Adam and Jack and but yeah, I don't usually tinker a whole lot. The only thing I've been kind of messing around with this driver stuff and just different shafts and stuff like that. So but honestly, I need to come in here more. I need to steal some snacks.
Speaker 3: Is there a thing that the driver you're trying to hit, like window or trying to make a move one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I've always been driver has always been the worst part of my game, and I've always been the way I've gone about my driving, which like ping has done a great job of helping me through this is like, let's just go anti this driver instead of like, oh, let's make I'm not even worried how good my good shots are. I just want my bad shots to be less bad. So I went to like a my driver's tip, like I want to say, almost two it's either an inch and a half or two inches the inch and a half. It's something. It's crazy bordy, like it has no kick in it. And I played a shorter shaft for a while too. I just switched back to a forty five inch but it's just basically an anti left shaft for me, and it does not like, honestly, I don't spin it very much. I'm definitely bottom fifteen on tour and spin. Yeah, but that's just my mechanism not hitting it left. And we're just trying just because my swing and my body's gotten a little bit better. We're trying to like see if I can get into a more normal setup and see if like even my bad ones are less bad, but also my good ones are actually going to be really good.
Speaker 4: So you're good ones. Are you trying to hit it like dead straight or little cut?
Speaker 1: Definitely cutting? Yeah, I used to play a big cut, but now it's say my stop cut is like between it's still pretty big ten and ten to fifteen yards. It's definitely falling pretty tilts, falling right pretty aggressively. But my swing is like, just from being in better shape, my swing's gotten better and tighter. So now my start lines are a little bit tighter and sometimes I'm missing it a little left. Yeah, not curby as much because of that. So that's why we're trying.
Speaker 3: What are you What are you doing in terms of fitness? I mean, what have you changed? Has it been plast six months last year?
Speaker 1: What have you done in that world? I'd say it's my last four years. Honestly, I didn't work out one time in my life till college. I got to college and I'm like, I can't even do these basic I can't. I couldn't do a dead bug. I couldn't. I was benching twenty five pound dumbells in each hand.
Speaker 2: It was embarrassing, like when he first came the Lakers, just straight off picture worse but worse.
Speaker 1: I've literally never worked out, And then in college I realized the importance. I got injured a decent amount of college, which was a bummer, but I realized, like, I can prevent this by just get in the gym. And I honestly, I don't lift very much at all. But I've been working with the same trainer even actually even in college but after college, and he does a great job kind of dialing me in and my flexibility has gotten better. It's just honestly all on where I was injury prevention and knock on whatever, knock on wood. I haven't been injured since since I've turned pro.
Speaker 2: You probably know, say, but you've played more events in the last twelve months than anything tour. Yeah, I mean, I think that's a good takeaway from Yeah, bitiness standpoint for the listeners, like, for sure, here's straight from you.
Speaker 4: You're just trying not to get injured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, I'm just trying not to get injured. Yeah, I played thirty two last year and I was really happy with how my body held up. There's definitely too much, definitely too much. That'll that'll be the most, That'll be the max you play in your career. I feel like I've taken so many weeks off this year and I'm still gonna play twenty seven or twenty eight, which was a lot, but uh yeah, it's just a testament to my trainer and then the work I've been putting in. I've just been more diligent about it. Yeah, there's just times where like in the even my first year as a pro, I was I was getting better at it, but I just wasn't on top of it, so I'd go on the road for two weeks and lose all my progress. But now I feel like I'm stacking my progress and I've just gotten better and better at it. It's huge help. I haven't even tried to gain distance or any luckily, Like I just have long levers and hit it. I'd say averagely far. But I've never even worked on speed stuff, and I've gained four or five miles per ball speed just not even not working any speed. And we'll see if I do. Yeah, you know what I got to cover you?
Speaker 3: I remember I think it was the Oakland Hills, USAM and oh yeah, it was like maybe twenty sixteen, Yeah, you were sixteen. I mean it must have been sixteen or seventeen years old and you made a run. Yeah, and it was a lot of fun to cover you. And then obviously to see this progression into pro golf and now on the PGA Tour. Obviously, the popularity of what happened at Phoenix last year and then Netflix. What is this year over the last twelve months been like for you to go from a very good player obviously, and then a professional golfer it's and now being somebody that people yell out I want to autograph from.
Speaker 1: It's pretty nuts. I never saw myself as a very good golfer even through college. I know that twenty sixteen am really gave me a lot of confidence and helped me come into my own and I had a couple of nice years in college after that, But even then I was like, I didn't know if I was good enough to I always thought I could make the tour, but I was just even in the end of college where I was like, am I gonna be any good? And last year or last year helped a lot. I just it's just been so fun, like the journey to get better is fun. I'm not even worried about the results, and I think that's been key for me. I have very little expectations for myself and I'm just like, dude, I'm living my dream like I'm just gonna go out there, and I feel like I'd be doing myself and my team and my family and friends a disservice if I'm not giving it my all to get as good as I am, because I'm given this opportunity now. So that part's been really really cool and definitely humbling to see all the fans that I've gotten over the last year, and at this point, I feel like I'm doing it a lot for them to I mean, it comes from myself, but I feel like I want to like play well for them too, and that that's kind of helped too. But it's been really really cool. I will say it's been overwhelming sometimes because I'm an introvert at art and I love having my own space and I feel like I play a lot of golf from around a lot of people. Yeah, but no, I think that's a good problem to have and I'm I'm definitely getting more used to it. And I used to be a horrible, horrible speaker. I'm still not great at it. I'm getting better, but but no, I mean, life's been I cannot complain it all. It's been an awesome ride.
Speaker 4: So he does.
Speaker 2: Man, that's so refreshing, is that? I mean, you want three Junior Worlds?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, really tiger number of Junior Worlds and you're still don't have that. On the confidence meet, I'm picturing this confidence meter. Yeah, and he was even going through college, it wasn't that well.
Speaker 1: You know what happened is I was really really good when I was young, like young young. I won my Junior World six, eight and ten. I was just going off of like talent. I was just bigger than other kids when I was young, so it was just getting it further. And I wasn't even that skilled, I felt like. And then once started, once people started really practicing and getting real at their craft in middle school in early high school, that's when I went into a huge slump hit my growth spurt. I was not a good recruit and even in high school, and I didn't play any of the inmates, like I never played any invitationals, and I was lucky that even I I was looking at some bigger schools but I wouldn't. I was gonna be essentially a walk on. So Pepperdine was kind of a blessing for me that I knew I was gonna play right away. So definitely college was a big kind of step in the right direction. That's why I just went through a pretty big slump, I feel like, and well, for me, I felt like it was a slump. I still had good tournaments and one a little bit, but I just didn't know if it was next level potential.
Speaker 2: Did you think that gives you that extra motivation? Made a room around here on the tour as you're you're out here practicing.
Speaker 1: A lot at least, you know, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: I just I just love it, you know, I'm I. I truly love love the game. You love the practice, You love the grind, which everything out of it.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I love the grind. I really do love the grind. There's obviously days where're like, god, I don't want to do this, or like travel day, or you know, you know, to work on something that week on the range, and I don't. Personally, I don't love just beating balls. I love chipping now. It's my favorite part of my game. I can sit on chip. I can sit on these chipping greens for legit ten hours. I can sit all day if you leave me on supervised. But I just love it. I love playing just every part of it. Again, I think it goes back to the fact that I have this chance to do it, so it's like, why not give it my all? Within reason? And I'm getting better at leaving the I've spent Last year, I spent all day every day at the golf course, and this year I'm doing a good job breaking it down where I only spend like Tomorrow, Wednesdays, I've been my chill days where I'm only on the course. Luckily, I've got a lot of morning prim times I'll leave the course by one or two pm. Yeah, but a day like today, I'm usually I'm just here all day. I'll sleep in a little ground on a Tuesday. Yeah yeah, I mean, I don't even know what's grinding though, because I sleep in I Like today, I got up at like seven forty five eight meandered over here, had breakfast, got to the range like nine. Didn't feel like I was stressing, didn't feel like I obviously I had stuff that I wanted to get done In practice, and stuff that I wanted to get done on the course, but I spent six hours out there and it just went like that. So I don't know, It's just it's it's really nice to have all these every week. Have insane practice facilities too, where you just kind of get lost. It's like, well, it putting means perfect, I might as well go sit there and putt for a while. So but I'm learning the balance of overdoing it and still getting my work done.
Speaker 2: So you love chipping. Tell us about your your WEDB set up. You know we've always you're playing fifty eighth grade right now? Yeah, did you grow up chipp in the fifty eight ever reached sixty to fifty six?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I grew up chipping with only a fifty six. And there's no really rhyme or reason for that. I think just when I started playing golf, I just picked up a fifty six and didn't feel like I needed a law bludge.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a law blunch when I was young. I didn't know any better. But I think I graduated to a fifty eighth degree pretty late in high school. Yeah, and I've tried a sixty degree one time and I just hated it, like I've just been so used to my whole life, fifty six fifty eight. I just liked seeing chip shots come out, come out in a certain window. And I hit full shots, well full shots with my fifty eight degree too, you know, ninety percent shots for I feel like with a sixty it's almost too much off. But it's definitely something I think I'm going to invest you in the future because the greens are so firm and fast every week, and I feel like golf course are getting tighter and tighter with the grasses, so you need a little more nip. But yeah, I've always been a fifty eight, so I go fifty eight, fifty four, fifty, and then I've kind of bounced between a forty seven or forty six degree and then a blueprint pitching ledge. I've been kind of the blueprint pitching ledge for a wow.
Speaker 3: So a really hard hitting question here, how many I have the over UNDERD three and a half. How many iterations of facial hair do you feel like you've had on tour? Yeah, I mean because the stand you had the stash for a bit and it was Hall of Famer, thank you.
Speaker 1: I think four because when I first got on tour, I had like the high. I didn't really shave it down very or trim it down very much. I had like the high, unkempt, just caveman beard, and then I went clean shaven for a while. I still randomly, you know, one one or two weeks randomly you need new car or you need new uh what's the word. You just need good vibe, you need new vibes. With the beard. You need to get rid of the old vibe. So I just clean shave it and then try and get some new vibes with new facial hair. I've gone the stash two weeks. I did it as you play with theah. Not great. Actually I did it last year with the players. That was my first iterational stash. It was sick. But I improved on it this year because I went like, I didn't trim anything. I just left it all there and I went clean on the end right, which was a little aggressive. It is very true. I know, I know you're I know you're younger. There's never been a mustache that's mauntograss. That's actually part of the mustache experience. My take on mustache is, I don't know if you guys agree, is like, I don't think anyone actually looks better with the mustache. Acically, it's a statement, agreed. You make a statement, You're like, that guy has a mustache, like he's confident, and then all of a sudden you think that he looks better like my Caddy car. Actually, my Caddy Carl is a really good looking mustache. I'll give him that. If he shaved it clean, would he looked better? No, I don't think I was one of so ingrained in my head right that it's become a part of this thing now. But this, like you say, exactly, yeah, you see it in your brain. But this year I went the stash, but with like a one on the rest of my beard, and I think it looked a lot better and I played well. I came in fourteenth at Bail with it.
Speaker 4: That was my question, what's the correlation there?
Speaker 1: You know, the first one I missed the kind of the players last year, but immediate, immediate shade.
Speaker 3: So you play a ton of golf. We've heard you're a pretty competitive chess player as well. Yeah, how good are you want? Your handicap at chess? And you what would you put yourself.
Speaker 1: At if I had to put my chess eglo as a handicap. I'd say I'm a one or two ny caps, so you're very I think some other people would say I'm a scratcher better, but I just I don't believe that because I've only really played online. I haven't played in person that much because I picked it up over when I hurt my wrist in twenty nineteen. So I'm pretty good. My rating is nineteen hundred, okay, I'd say a beginner, A true beginner is probably four hundred, five hundred, and then you can intermediate players on thy to twelve hundred. So I'd say I'm definitely I'm better than like on my chest dot com thing, it says what percentage your profilesand I'm ninety nine point four or five. I'd feel pretty confident it could beat anyone like you feel like you the best chess player on tour. That's my question. Yes, yeah, you'd I don't want to make one Chess FedEx cup you're leading. Yes, I don't. Actually, I don't want to say that too, because there could be some guys finally out there. You've got to put it out there.
Speaker 4: You didn't grow up. You didn't play chess growing up.
Speaker 1: You just started, so I knew the moves, and I went to Chess Masters thing in middle school, so I knew the moves. I knew I didn't know any openings, but I knew how all the pieces moved, and I knew the objectives. So when I started off, I didn't start off as a four or five hundred. I kind of started off as like a seven hundred, so I had a little better grasp of it. And then I have a very addictive personality. Once I get stuck on something, I'm just I'm just sending the books. I'll just in injury three books in a week. And but I did this thing with chess where I just I couldn't do anything because I had surgery my wrist. I just watched chess videos for six hours and study openings.
Speaker 2: So so the engineers at PING, they're working on data scientists and all stuff. Data scientists Ping, they're on chess dot Com. A few of them played you related you He's like, no way, I'm playing no way. Yeah, someone a couple do you know what?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Got the results. I haven't been playing in it. But also addicting. I played last week a decent amount and I had a bunch of just like fans give me challenges that I played one of them, someone beat me. So it's like your user name like the Gala one. How do they feel that's s R. And then Daniel Daniel Rapp report in late last year was like tweeting about my chess or asking me about chess and like here here's my account. Challenge me and I'll play. And I got a thousand requests. I couldn't even play anyone because I got too many. So I think now that it's died down, now I'm actually able to play people that want to play. You said you said you're into books when you read right now, right now I'm reading. I'm rereading The Kill Mockingbird. I have one of my favorite authors. He's kind of a young adult author. I'd said my brother he's at and he gave me his book. It's a Neil Schusterman book called Roxy. But I read a lot of just I like fiction, just like I like easy reads. And I'm not a huge I mean I read like some self provement books are life books, but not not very often. But those are the two books I have right now?
Speaker 4: Are you digital?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No heart the heart?
Speaker 1: But you know I get a headache looking at it.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I've been like deep in your my kindle, kindle, my four you'll just scratch my kindles now it's like not only reading on a kindle, but has just this deep scratch right middle.
Speaker 1: That's not brutal, it's brutal. That's why maybe I haven't read.
Speaker 2: When do you read like on the on your tour schedules, at traveling weeks only hotel, let's see it with your.
Speaker 4: Just kind of at night.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to because like I'd literally fall asleep watching Chester Years or playing chess or watching YouTube or something. So I'm like, I'm gonna try and sleep without my phone near me. So I put my phone away, pick up the book, and then soon enough you get tired enough when you shut it away. But it's pretty much only at night. And then if I have an off week and I'm just sitting at home doing nothing, I'll pick it up and read song. But I used to be crazy reader when I was younger, but I probably stopped for four or five years and just picked it back up a year or two ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when did your relationship with paying start? Because I know you'd mentioned some stuff at knowledge. When did that relationship again?
Speaker 1: It was all Brownie, to be honest to my coach, Rick Connor, who is still with me, we've been together seventeen years now, but he was on Ping staff when I was playing Junior Roads when I was twelve and thirteen. So when I was thirteen years old, Brownie came and watched me at a Riverwalk golf course in San Diego. And ever since then, I traded in my US kids golf clubs because I literally played them until I was thirteen for Pings and that was my first set I think it was.
Speaker 5: S fifty seven's maybe does that sound about right? I like S fifty seven I started with, like the those felt like impossible places to hit for me at the time. But yeah, so I've been playing Ping since I was thirteen, and honestly I've played fourteen clubs for a few years now.
Speaker 3: Is it wild thinking back to that kid that's twelve and thirteen. It's getting clubs to now wear the hat, you know what I'm saying, Like to be paid and to be sponsored and to come in a truck like this, like you ever have moments where you think.
Speaker 1: Back and go, I can't believe this company cares enough to do this. Well, I couldn't believe they're like, I couldn't believe they trust me that much when I was that young. And the fact that I was getting free golf clubs where some of my friends are paying right thousands and thousands of dollars on golf clubs and all that stuff. I definitely never took it for granted, but now it is. It's really cool that I've been wrapping paying And the thing I tell people is that I just feel like equipment is such a comfort based thing. You need to really love the feel and comfortability of your clubs, and it's got to look good to you too. And I think playing ping for a while and that I'm just so comfortable in the look down be hard to look down something else. And then the relationships too, Like I've gotten to know the ping guys so well, yeah, and they're just great people. You can just joke around, and I feel like we've genuinely become friends and acquaintances and it's fun to be around them, which is great too.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned, Okay, going back to the stats, you think you're ninety nine percentile in chess, yes, you know, or at least out here on tour do you are you? Let's talk about on your golf game. Are you into the stats? You follow the stats and your coach your team, you know, and then you know because looking and looking at your strokes gain stats.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean one of your best parts of your game is iron iron play over two hundred yards, Like you're in the top ten percentile out here, which is just filming and it probably drives your you know, long part three, Yeah, turns long part threes over two hundred you get to a big golf course, yeah, second shounts on part fours, then you can attack part fives.
Speaker 4: What would you say are your strengths your game?
Speaker 2: And how much do you look at analytics versus kind of just trusting your instinct.
Speaker 1: I've always loved looking at stats for other people and in general, but for myself personally, I don't really love I mean, I like looking at my stats, but I don't use my stats to do a whole lot in terms of analytics except my putting putting stuff. I definitely look at what rangers on best at, like my speed and all that stuff. I definitely do that, but in terms of ball striking stuff, I don't look at it too much because I feel like my iron play has always been good. I've never felt like a great iron player. I think I'm trying. I'm getting close. I'm getting close to being more consistent. But one thing I've never had an issue is gettinghigh on the ball, So I think that's why my my part three scoring average has always been great. My long irons, I always feel like are good because I can kind of hoist them and just kind of land them in the middle of the not try to fit it in this little two yard window you're trying to land on because it's firm. So I feel like that's why my long irons have always been good. But I'd say the best part of my game is always my short game. My putting and chipping and stats always back up, except last year with my putting, which was weird, but uh, my stats always back that up. I feel like, even through college I was such a bad ball stricker. I would legit game for a couple of seasons. I gained over a shot on the greens for the year and still not winning. I just should have bad. I was hitting it.
Speaker 2: But your total strokes game is trending that it is five or six years, which were they tracked some you're playing the amateur events school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're in a nice trend.
Speaker 1: And I think the reason I kind of refocused myself a little bit last year because I was just kind of getting sucked in a little bit to looking at Okay, I need to get my driving better because my driving I was like one to eightieth and off the tea last year, So I need to get this better. I need to hit these irons better. I'm like, I got to stick to my DNA, which is just my short game. So honestly, I just re kind of focused myself into practicing more short game. So it's sick. Even though stats are saying these are the worst parts of my game, I ended up working harder on my best parts of my game, and that's really shown this year. I don't think my stats are actually that good overall, which is always a funny thing to me. But I think I'm in the mid thirties to forties and short game and putting, and I feel like I haven't putted that great this year, but it's good to see the improvement. And then the long game. Just I feel like practicing more my short game. It's kind of taking stress off my long game. And this is the best ball striking year I've ever had in my life, which is funny because I'm still one thirtieth off the team.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the give and take with the ses it. You can feel I'm improving here. I see it in front of me. Yes, and you know, being one hundred and thirtieth on planet Earth, that one thing is when you compare it to that, Yeah, it's like it's a little bit of a different thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: You can be self deprecated about your golf game, which is a good thing.
Speaker 1: I think Harry's self deprecated about pretty much everything in my life.
Speaker 3: You're very honest, you know, you talk about loving the grind. Who do you look up to that's either played before we're out on tour as someone that you kind of want to follow along in the way they've done it and the.
Speaker 1: Way they do it. Yeah, obviously, I just feel like people my age that the big three, at least for me, well it's almost four, but there's Tiger VJ and Phil and then I definitely put Ernie in there. I think you could argue Ernie's have a share a career than VJ. Actually, but those guys and then the guy I grew up a lot watching in my more formative years of high school and middle school, high school at college was Rory, And I just love Rurry's game. My game is nothing like Rory's. It's it's as opposite. It's been get for Rory's, to be honest, but uh, just watching him, I've always like, man, if I can ever get to any even if I can get to ten percent of what Rory does, that would be that would be really really cool. But you played with him. I just played the first time in my life last week in Charlotte, and it was sick. Unfortunately it was Saturday and we're like third group off, so we weren't having a week. But we didn't play it well either. We actually script her. We both shot even the third round. But he was such a cool guy and I've always kind of looked up to him, and even though he's only eight years older than me or something. But another guy whose game I loved watching in high school and college was JT. I feel like, if anyone, I feel like my game is closest to his, you definitely see him hit some shots what the world worst shots ever seen, and then he'll hit just magical shots. I mean, this guy, the way he works the ball. I've played with them, I've goten lucky enough playing them three times now this year. And the way he works the ball is a joke, Like it looks fake, almost like he'll have a back left pin. He's been hitting these tight cuts ol Daniel snipe a thirty yard drawn there just because it's the hits. I feel like it's his way of seeing the shot the best and the way he flights his wedges as a joke. I mean, of all the people in terms of that have been like, wow, this games really is probably JT. Which is cool to see because I was like, I kind of want to. I'm not mimic my game after him, but good person to mimic a game? Yeah, for sure, one a lot and he's won a lot of big things. Yeah you know, if you can, if you can do it and it makes sense, do you want to right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Would you say he's the players out out here right now is shape in the ball into the pens the most of you play with.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy is I feel like if he just steps up there and hits a stock swing, I feel like his stock swing doesn't even move. It's like dead straight, maybe falls a yard right. So, in terms of the guy guys I've played with, he definitely moves it the most. Max Home also gets a moving, pretty good left right, which I love because I do that. But a lot of the other I feel like a lot of the other guys I've played with, they can move it both ways, but it is just so so tight, like Xander and Pat and those guys, I mean, they're ball moves that much, these teeny little Yeah, do.
Speaker 3: You struggle seeing yourself equal to those guys? Like, how do you how do you combat that? Like, how do you combat the feeling that these guys are here and I'm here trying to get to that place.
Speaker 1: I just I just from an eye test and looking, I know everyone is biased somewhat. Well, I tend to think people are biased more negatively than positively when thinking about your own shots and game especially, I'll hit ourselves all the time. Yeah, I just feel like my good shots don't look anything like these other guys the good shots, And I know that's not true. I know that's not true, but I always I just asked. I joke with my buddies out here. I still think I hit some of the worst shots on tour period. I think there's there's probably a compilation of my space balls, and I've had to sign so many gloves and balls for people. But it definitely was hard. Last year I had I didn't even think I could compete with some of these guys, and last year was big, making tour championship and still feeling I had the world to improve on my game. So I know how hard it is and you can lose it at any moment's notice. But just kind of knowing also knowing how hard it is, it's like, you know I shouldn't. I'm not scared of any of these guys, but I just still feel like I have a ways to go to reach those guys's levels of Sander and Pat and Scotty and those guys, they just do it every week, like I have a great week and I'll finish fifth, right, I'll have a great week, played great. They'll have an off week and finish seventh. That's their third worst finish the year. I was mind I was diving through some finishes. I was looking at Tony's. It's sillier. It's the worst finish is thirty fifth, thirty first.
Speaker 3: You know, like that consistency and again, but I mean that's that's attainable. I mean, that's the thing about consistency is you see players work to that point where they get into a position where that game is consistent, and then it makes more sense.
Speaker 1: An interesting take about this is just like ranking stuff. I just feel like any given week, anybody can win everybody. He's so good out here. The one hundred and eightieth guy on Fest for sure could have one. There's a reason they're out there. They're out here and playing well. But I will say I think there's a gap between you know, the top six to eight guys in the world and then everybody else. I think there's a discernible gap where I think even Max was talking about it, like even you know, that guy's on a heater, he's playing the best, one of the nicest guys, playing the best golf of his life, and he still feels like there's a gap between him. Yeah, and John Rahm and these guys are just playing absurd golf week in and week out, and I think that goes kind of under the radar sometimes, like you, I feel like people get like power finished twelfth in an event and be like, oh, he's slumping or something like Colin. Colin's like eighth in the world. Now everyone's like, oh, he's on the playing horrible slumping. He's leading strokes, he can approach, it's made six five mili. He's having his best Irony ever this year. He's best iron youer ever. People are just like so it's just crazy result oriented, I guess. But yeah, just how consistent those guys are.
Speaker 2: So say you, I'm combined two things I want to hear that we want to hear this story. Yeah, one being in with the gallery or in this case the patrons and two year short yes, tell us about sixteen and a guest.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So I'll give some background on my golf game that led to that shot. Anyway, the last five months I've been playing almost strictly a cut with irons, and my whole first year on tour, I was hitting like shallow draws, which I've never hit my life, and that's part of the reason why I played well. But for some reason on this whole I was like, I'm gonna to drop back left pin, like the slope, all that stuff right, and my draw definitely spins less and comes off a touch lower. But I've been used to my fade yardages, which if I was fading it, I probably would have hit six iron there, one hundred and eighty five yards into the wind out of the right. But I hit seven and I actually thought I'd put a good swing on it, but it just I pulled it a hair and it rode the wind. And I'm looking at this thing. I'm like, oh my god, this is so long. This is ten yards left of the pin. This is gonna kill somebody.
Speaker 4: Sure enough.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even lay. It lay in the gallery right. I landed fifteen years over the pin, and I hit a poor lady in the head. I did send a picture out to her, though she signed it the next wee, but I hit her in the head, which kept it from going on the whole six essentially, so it stayed in the middle of the gallery, kind of in the mud there, and it took three minutes to clear the whole gallery out there, And of course in those three minutes, one hundred people were talking about the Tiger shot. Dude for Tiger, and I'm just hearing it. And at one point I wasn't like chippier. I was laughing at everything. At one point was like chipping in like Tiger. I was like, bro. I literally turned to the guys dead quiet. I was like, bro, I'm trying to chip this on the green. Everyone started laughing and I'm not. I'm not laughing right, I'm just trying to get it on. I mean, I'm on trying to not make five I'm literally on wet dirt. I'm like, I just can't chunk this or so I'm gonna hit two feet in front of me. It's gonna be embarrassing. But I just kind of blocked out. Honestly, I was already feeling the nerves from just the whole day and the whole week, and I kind of blocked out over the chip, and sure enough, I landed it right on my spot and I'm like, oh sick. I just said it to like I probably have five feet coming back for part. And I took a couple of steps forward to get a better look, and I'm like, no way.
Speaker 4: Since that first started thinking that yeah, with like.
Speaker 1: Six feet to go, I was like this, this thing could go in the hole, and sure enough it went in. I just I kind of lost it, like I I don't remember even what I did celebration wise, but I know I high five three guys harder than I ever have in my life. I slapped Carl on the back so hard, and it got me fired up even more because I never see Carl is the most even keel guy, and he was just and then Tony playing with Tony and his caddie Mark. They're the biggest chillers ever. They're so pumped me so but I just I could not control. I'm assuming you watched it. I lost it, And if you have, you watched the Chip watch. Yes, I've watched that shot more than I've watched any other show on my life, not even close, because it's like you see a different thing with like the fans every time every somebody else. Yeah, in the gallery, but I was shaking. It was like I don't I don't do drugs, but I feel like it's better than any drug that I could ever take in my life. I mean, that feeling was unbelievable and we're just striped it.
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 1: I was shaking. I was shaking, literally shaking, striped it. And then I hit the worst iron shot on my entire life on the second shot because I was still nervous. You're still still I just wish I didn't have two more holes to play after that chip in. But I had one hundred and sixty eight yard shot forty seven literally forty seven yards offline after the drop after the drop from the grand stand, so it was like sixty yards off line. I didn't know the grandstand to a back right pin with a nine iron on seventeen staff. But uh no, that was the coolest moment. That's your moment so far, for sure. So before we let you go, just a couple of quick hitters. Yeah, favorite candy is what probably twigs? Random? Did you have? I don't have twix a week. No, I don't twix a month. No, I don't even chocolate.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you watch the movie theater and saw a movie in the theater and you know if you if you've seen it, what was the movie?
Speaker 1: I don't remember the name of the movie. But the only time I go to the movie theater I was with my parents and then we watch Indian movies. Okay, I don't even know the name of It's been six months now since Winter, that's not bad.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you saw a movie?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 2: I was I was thinking, is that Alex Conold movie where in the in the theater?
Speaker 1: You saw theater?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well I bet that was in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was intense, man.
Speaker 1: I would have liked to see this. See I want to go see Air. Two kids. I want to see Air. And now it's like out on Netflix. My wife's like, we're just gonna watch it.
Speaker 4: Go do that.
Speaker 3: You're just gonna stay it on me. But yeah, when you get the courtesy card, you drive a ride. I drive every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even have Usually I troubled by myself, so it's just me.
Speaker 3: Who is Do you think you've played on your phone the most the last two years? In terms of an artist, my musical taste is very nobody relaxed. I listened to a lot of techno. Don't say Charlotte DeWitt. She's like a very technoly, pretty hard hardcore techno.
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you like going hardcore on the like if you're listening to music on the range and stuff, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't listen to music while I practice. It's just like I'm so sound and strike based that I've tried and it just hasn't worked. But a bit pre round for sure. I'll bump some medim and some I won't go hardcore tech noo, but I'll go like some nice deep house or something like that. What do you think you eat?
Speaker 3: What place do you think you eat at the most throughout the year on the road, Like if you it's like you're staple, it's I mean chick.
Speaker 1: Fil a or Chipoli or something like that. I eat a decent amount of chick fl in Chipole, I'd say once a week, just either on a travel day or just a day where you know you finish late and you have an early tea time ago chippolet. But I love Thai food. I probably have Taie food at least twice a week on the week. Yeah, And I love sushi and Japanese food, and my stomach usually handles everything pretty well. So I'm a little loose on what I eat. Which is on the Tai food or you like a yelp guy like how are you doing in these places? Well, I'll go double. I make sure we've been on a hot streak. I haven't eaten in a bad type place in like a year and a half. But I'll go I'll go double. I'll go Yelp and Google reviews.
Speaker 4: Double down.
Speaker 1: You gotta down because sometimes sometimes you never know. But I've seen good Yelper moves and bad Google and vice versa too. But I okay, So I have a take you had to take earlier.
Speaker 3: I have a take on this whole Yelp world we live in because you know, we travel a decent amount lot. Right, It's a little bit like who you talked about with stats with the golf game, is like you can look at these things, but like, I live in an area where the best wings are like the work.
Speaker 1: You would never go in this place in a million years. It's the worst looking to live in the world.
Speaker 3: And there's a tight place down the street from my house that's the same way you would walk in the in the front door. So I feel like I focus so much on Yelp and I have to remind us all the time it.
Speaker 1: Actually might be okay. Yeah, Well that's why if I'm at new places, I usually ask guys what they do or where they eat. A lot of the times they eat a really nice places, Like I haven't reached that level yet, but I'll ask like the volunteers or the people working in the shop and stuff like, hey, like it's a good place to go get wings or what's a good go good place to go get sushi and stuff like that, and and see like some I've definitely eaten at some places that haven't had good views, but guys have recommended to me. It's been great.
Speaker 2: So I love hearing the story on sixteen in Augusta because this is what you don't hear in I'm just seeing that.
Speaker 4: We just see the chip, you see celebrate. I want to hear what the feeling.
Speaker 1: I love the show. Now, you know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: The first thing I'm gonna do work with this is I'm gonna go to Masters dot Com. I'm gonna look at the tracer on seventeen in their second show.
Speaker 1: It's a little narcissistic, but I might have to do it. He's got it out as well. I appreciate the time as
Speaker 3: Always, like the rest of the year, doing what you're doing for Thanks Mary, tell you was awesome.