Speaker 1: You're listening to Hoax, a production of iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: Folks, it's a hug.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't seen when us to see the Welcome to Hoax, a podcast about the lies we wish were true.
Speaker 2: And truths that sound like lies. I'm the ghost of Danish Wartz, and I'm the evil twin of Lizzie Logan. Welcome to the show, Lizzie. Are you a chess player? No? I, at the very beginning of this year learned the basic rules of how each of the pieces moved. I mean, that's step one, and that is the entirety of my chess career.
Speaker 1: I like playing chess, and I like the aesthetics of chess. I like studying chess like I love doing like tutorials and puzzles online. But I'm not good at chess at all because I'm too impatient. I just like moving the pieces.
Speaker 2: I like the word chess. Yeah, and I am a huge Abba fan, and therefore I have some affection for the musical Chess.
Speaker 1: Should we go to New Should we plan a hoax trip to New York to see a loosely associated, very tangential production of Chess.
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: All of this is to say this episode involves chess, yes, but it does not require any knowledge of how the game works except that it is, you know, a game of wits.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I feel like it's like, if you don't know what chess is, it's really it's a board game and it's really hard, and it's really old, and it's black pieces and white pieces. But I think we can assume that all the listeners know what chess is. Well, here's another question.
Speaker 1: Do you does it mean anything if I say mechanical turk to you?
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's here's the thing, Dana, Yeah, I know this one. Yeah, and I know what it actually was.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think it was? Or what do you think it is?
Speaker 2: The hoax? I mean, could like all of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you're going to get it right, Okay, because I watched, like, I watched a YouTube video about cheating scandals in chess, okay, and they covered this one and they said that it was and we can edit this out if I'm about to ruin the episode.
Speaker 1: It's a lot more convoluted, I think than you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, yeah, okay, obviously, because you said this was a long episode, but what what the YouTuber Sarah z Ed said was that it was chess masters crouched underneath just playing chess against whoever was playing chess against the like quote unquote automaton and moving the like above ground pieces with magnets, like just playing chess by candlelight.
Speaker 1: So that's like seventy percent right, Okay, because spoiler alert, this is a hoax. Yes, I'm gonna We're gonna get off the you know, get off the bat and say this is a podcast called hoax.
Speaker 4: This is a hoax.
Speaker 1: Yes, but we're going to get into deeper and I think actually pretty philosophical questions about and if a robot can play chess.
Speaker 2: So at a tart.
Speaker 1: This is an episode about a man named Wolfgang von Kempelin. Some people falsely say that he's a baron.
Speaker 2: He's not.
Speaker 1: He's related to a baron, but like if you ever see that, you're like, this person doesn't know what they're talking about. And he created an automaton that he claimed could play chess.
Speaker 2: And he well, he also claimed it was an automaton. Yeah, he created like a puppet. Basically, we're going to get in. I'm getting ahead of you, Okay, I'll just let you. I'll let you be the co host of this podcast.
Speaker 1: So let me place you now in the seventeen hundreds. Okay, Industrial Revolution. Everything ell is terrible. Yeah, everyone smells horrible. No one's taking enough baths, breath everywhere, no deodorant, The dusteral revolution is happening, and people are getting excited by automatons. Basically, I mean quite literally, Like when I say automaton, what you're picturing like a jerky machine that's sometimes humanoid like doing things like that is correct, this kind of I could get into so much more detail, but because we have to focus this episode. It's sort of like a an evolution from medieval clocks.
Speaker 2: If you picture like.
Speaker 1: A medieval clock tower, eventually like figurines came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a cuckoo clock.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so like basically what happened I'm like racing through this in the Western world. Eventually what happened was clockmakers began making smaller and smaller automata for like clocks for rich people that it's like it hits twelve and like a little person comes out and does something. And then eventually these clockmakers built just like autonom automata for rich people to like entertain themselves, okay, and they kind of became like sometimes they were like mechanical pictures with moving parts, or like mechanical like things for your table, like that could pour tea on their own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like in the opening of Wallace and Gromitt where he can like put his pants on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that, but much smaller, and for rich people to like put in their cabinets of curiosities. O.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 1: And most of these end up in the collection of kings and queens and emperors, which is which encourages engineers to do this sort of thing, because if you were like an engineer who wants to like win favor of a king or queen, you like make them a fun little gift.
Speaker 2: I like sucks that we don't do this anymore, Like I'm sure someone is. I'm just like, why hasn't anyone ever gotten in one of these?
Speaker 1: Well, so, the kind of father of the biomechanical automaton like automatons that were meant to like look like people is a guy named Jacques de Vaczon who makes three kind of very famous automaton in seventeen thirty eight, one that can play a flute, yeah, like fake lungs. So okay, he's blowing and it is playing the flute, so I guess we.
Speaker 2: Do still have them. They're just sex dolls. Okay. Sorry you said blowing and I was like, yeah, yeah, blowing. Point Okay. He can make one that has like do you have to pump it or does it have like a little battery.
Speaker 1: Basically most of them work the way grandfather clocks work with weight you act like, I know you have grandfather clops, but like weighted okay, and you have to wind it up.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He also makes a boy with a pipe and a drum so like playing music okay. And then he makes what he thinks is his ps their resistance, this duck that can simulate digestion, like you feed it bread crumbs and then it would excrete. I'm gonna say, like like breadcrumb poop.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean that would be like interesting, and.
Speaker 1: Like imagine if you see like a mechanical duck that you can actually feed bread crumbs and then like it poops out like green pell watery.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The thing I want to note here is it didn't it wasn't actually real. He was claiming that it was like digesting and I'm putting that in air quote digesting the pellets, but really it just happened.
Speaker 2: There was two other it was it's like how baby dolls work, where it's you feed it baby food and some and then like you like change the diaper. But really it's that like you're putting one thing in, you're putting in substance A, and then substance B is coming in. Exactly.
Speaker 1: There was a pre set chamber with like green food diet, not food die, but like green dyed pellets. Yeah, came out as the poop. So it's interesting and it's cool, but actually, you know, we'll dismember the prestige. The prestige is happening. Although very interestingly, this man did kind of invent the first flexible rubber tube in order to build the like quote unquote intestines. So actually good scientific and important things are being developed in service of these I don't know, like toy toys, yeah, entertainments.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, go off tube tube guy.
Speaker 1: But he sort of causes this, sir of public interest in automata. If you're an engineer, it's kind of like a fun challenge, especially if you're trying to at this point understand how humans work, like we're they're still understanding like biology, and so they're kind of scientists scientists, I'm using you loosely, but like these engineers are kind of using automata to explore what they can figure out about how humans work. Like the guy, this guy making a flute playing automaton was interested in like lung pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally. I mean if you can, cause eventually we're gonna get like someone's going to make a pacemaker. So yeah, you know, it's all progress.
Speaker 1: But like that actually is the thesis of the episode, that like people are doing weird, little interesting things and it is progress, you know.
Speaker 2: What, Like some a lot of things are made by people like fucking around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but correct and keep that in mind. Okay, we're going to focus on this guy named Wolfgang von Kempelein. He was born in seventy thirty four and he's a bureaucrat in the court of Maria Theresa of Austria. And if that name kind of sounds familiar, it's because she's Marie Antoinette's mom. Yes, So Wolfgang is this sort of notably handsome man. He speaks several languages. He's charming. He's sort of this like rising star in the bureaucracy. He has this translation job translating the Hungarian civil Code from Latin to German, which is now the new official language of the Austro Hungarian Empire, and he does it in just a few days, which astonishes people, and everyone's so impressed by him. And he gets a job as a counselor to the Imperial court. He loves tinkering, and now that he's sort of a successful bureaucrat, he has enough money to kind of afford his science hobby. He gets sort of jobs with the government as a comptroller of salt mines in Transylvania and comes up with a system of pumps to drain the minds when they flood, which seems very valuable. He designed waterworks for a castle in Presburg, which is the capital of Hungary now Bratislava. He is coordinating the settlement of this mountainous region in Hungary called Banat, which is like designing the houses and like planning the villages, like literally planning the settlement. And I do want to point out in this book that I read about this whole subject called the mechanical Turk by Tom Standage. There is the best sentence just out of context. And I want to stress this sentence has no more context on either the front or back. We never find out anything more. There's no footnote. I could not find anything else about this.
Speaker 2: Tom, get in touch with the podcast and let us know more about this sentence.
Speaker 1: So while he's, you know, coordinating this settlement, we get this sentence. Quote. While in Banat, he solved a local mystery, freeing several wrongly imprisoned men from jail.
Speaker 2: Hey, great, vague, vague great. I would like to know what they were in prison for.
Speaker 1: I would love to know what the local mystery is. Tom, if you're listening, please let me know if anyone knows any information on the local mystery he solved. That sounds like a mini series, a Hulu TV show.
Speaker 2: I would watch.
Speaker 4: This guy.
Speaker 2: Sounds like like a local folk hero of just like he just he just wanders through town like tinkering the way and fixing up little things and Sullivan mysteries.
Speaker 1: And bringing innocent men from prison.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, like a like like he should be the star of a CBS procedural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Automaton maker.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now fast forward It's seventeen sixty nine and Marie Race of Austria invites Kemperln to her palace in Vienna to see a performance by this famous French illusionist, Francois Pelletier. And she invite Kemperland because in addition to just like being a wandering good Samaritan, he's known as kind of a good explainer of popular science. He's kind of like the Carl Sagan of his day, or like he would be a great podcaster.
Speaker 2: Is he almost like sort of like a MythBuster?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she literally brings him because he's like conversational, and she wants to know how these tricks are going.
Speaker 4: To be done.
Speaker 1: Okay, and these quote unquote like magic tricks are going to be based in science, because at this point, if you're like a magician or illusionist, you're really gonna want to stress that you're working with quote white magic as opposed to black magic.
Speaker 2: Right, You're like, I'm doing an illusion. It's magical from science, not from I'm into the devil. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we don't know exactly what magic tricks Pelletaier performs. We know that they're quote magnetic games. Kemperland is not impressed, He publicly in front of the entire court says I will return within a year with an invention far better than anything this French guy has, and Maria Teresa actually excuses him from his job for six months to go do it and to go build an automaton more impressive than anything this guy's showing you, which like great way to get a sabbatical.
Speaker 2: That is such a good like Babe Ruth calling a shot, Kennedy being like we're going to go to the moon, We're going to go to the moon. I'm making you an automaton, Queen Marie.
Speaker 1: And it really is like a matter of national pride at this point, Yeah, to like show like, well Austrians can do this better than French people.
Speaker 2: Yes, So six months.
Speaker 1: Later he comes back to the Palace in seventeen seventy with this automaton.
Speaker 2: And it's also a classic recipe for someone's gonna lie, you know what I mean, because you've now set yourself a high bar that it's going to be so embarrassing if you don't clear it, that you've left yourself no wiggle room that if you can't clear it, you're gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to actually be a little like in defense of the hoax. This was in response to a magic act.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, So he saw this.
Speaker 1: Impressive magic act and he's like, I can explain how you're doing all of this.
Speaker 2: I'm not impressed.
Speaker 1: He comes back, he says, I'm gonna come back with something more impressive, and I will say, inarguably he does.
Speaker 2: Okay, he comes back with a with a better hoax. Yeah, so he comes back. I'm going to describe this to you. It's a humanoid figure wearing a turban with a black beard, wearing Ottoman robes. So it's he's known as the Mechanical Turk. And it's not only because it was like considered exotic, like Turkish people. At this point in Vienna, people were drinking Turkish coffee and having servants wear Turkish costumes.
Speaker 1: It was very stylish. But also chess was popularized in Persia and had spread throughout the Muslim world, so there's also this sort of like chess association. Interesting with the Ottoman dress that the quote unquote mechanical Turk is wearing. So it's a humanoid figure sitting at this cabinet that's four feet long, two and a half feet deep and three feet high, and it's on brass casters so it can move and swivel around. The front of the cabinet has three doors and a large drawer underneath. So I'm showing Lizzie a picture.
Speaker 2: It kind of looks like we'll put it on Instagram, but it's one drawer that pulls out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The left arm holds when it's not playing, holds a long smoking pipe. The right arm is at the on the top of the cabinet and it will use its left arm to play chess, so that the smoking pipe is just decorative.
Speaker 2: So and the right arm is decorative. Is decorative.
Speaker 1: Ok, it's not going to be used. So he wheels in this automaton and announces to the court that he made an automaton that can play chess. Now, up until this point, automaton technology had come pretty far. Automaton could play musical instruments and play multiple musical like play multiple songs on musical instruments, like there were I'm going to use the word robots, but like robots that could play the flute and like play different songs based on how you again like quote unquote programmed, but like basically using music box technology, like you know, so like people don't know exactly everything automatons can do because we're still figuring it out. So people are I think, probably, if not immediately skeptical, then like curious because maybe they're automaton can't play chess.
Speaker 2: And also like what does play chess mean? You know what I mean? Like to play chess and to be good at chess are two very different things. Like I can imagine someone maybe not at this time, but like if you told me that someone with some sort of rudimentary programming device made a little machine that could move all of the pieces in the way that the different pieces move, I would be like, yeah, that's not that many different functions. There's what like ten different pieces in chess that like that, that's not that many different functions. That's different from knowing. That's different from being able to understand and process how the other person has moved their pieces and then what the rules are for you know what I mean, likes keep them all in mind. That's different Like I could like move upon and move a night and move a castle and that that counts as playing chess, but like understanding how many moves away from checkmate I am like playing a full game of chess is different, so like to play chess, like, you know, let's get real philosophical, we will get philosophical.
Speaker 1: So basically he wheels in this automaton. I think most people are thinking exactly what Lizzie positive at the beginning of this episode, that like, well, there's a big old cabinet, a guy's just tucked inside there, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again I posited that based on a YouTube. Okay, so I cited my sources and I did that's like based on me being a scholar.
Speaker 1: Based on YouTube. So part of the presentation of the Mechanical Turk is kind of a performance. So how the performance begins is compelling. Comes over to the cabinet and at first he just unlocks the left hand side and he shows the left hand cabinet opens and there's like clockwork machinery inside and sort of like the circular cylinder that was used in like music playing automaton at the time, So like the machinery would kind of look familiar to some people clockwork machinery. And he would walk around the back of the machine and hold open another little door and hold a candle up in the back to show like nothing behind there. Then he would close that, open up the big bottom drawer and show inside there's a you know, chess pieces that he would pull out, and there was a pillow that then went under the automaton's elbow. And then you're probably thinking like, oh, well, then the person's probably hiding in the other big container. Well that's when you know the show continues asked and answered. Then he would open the big section, the last like two thirds right section of the cabinet and show that it was mostly empty if you thought a person was in there. It's like mostly lined with dark cloth. There's some like general mechanics, there's a red cushion, and there's a wooden box that then he like pulls out so and he would also spin the whole thing around to be like see nothing to see here. He lifts up the figure's robe from behind to show like there's machinery behind it, spin it around on its casters, and then put everything back in place and say, everyone got a good look, let's go.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is like literally what magicians do before they saw a lady in half. This is the exact same, the exact same thing of like there's nothing in the box, like this is a there's an exact way you do this. It's a magic trick.
Speaker 1: What part of the process is now is he takes out a candelabra, puts it on top, lights it. He's holding this wooden box that he'll occasionally just kind of like look in, so you're like, what's going on with that box? And he invites someone to play chess with it. A count Count Kobunzel will be the first opponent. And what kind of happened is you move your piece. He will ask you to try to move your piece exactly to the center of each square to make it easier for the automaton, because it will move its left hand and like use its hand like kind of like a claw machine to like pick up the pieces.
Speaker 2: And move them.
Speaker 1: And it will it will play a game of chess using its like mechanical arm, and if you moved the incorrect piece, it would shake its head and then move your piece back to where it was supposed to be. It the machine would nod twice if it checked to your if it threatened your queen, and then three times if it checked your king. Eventually, later in the life of this machine, it will actually say check and then eventually check in French. And it could also roll ittize, which is very funny. That is my favorite detail. As I mentioned before, Kemberland would like move around during this performance every few moves and not at regular intervals. He would like come and rewind it up. He would like look in this box he was holding sometimes and he would just like walk around the room. He would let observers take big magnets nearby to show like, not you can disturb this with magnets. That's not how I'm doing this, and let it. Let it play chess. In addition to actually playing full games of chess, it could do this thing called the Night's Tour, which is like a chess puzzle trick where you can put a knight on any piece of the board and the goal is to try to get it to touch every piece, every square of the board only once.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, So it's like a math puzzle. Yeah, and it could do that. That's the type of thing that I would have been like as a kid. You could have kept me occupied for a couple of hours trying to do that. And it's also like as a computer game, and it's also.
Speaker 1: The kind of thing that like you're like, I could see an automaton being able to do this.
Speaker 2: Well, once somebody figured it out, you could just program an automaton to do that series of moves, like it wouldn't have to think, it would just do the same one every time. Yeah, but actually if you picked a different disquence, okay, okay, okay, yeah, it's like the audience could pick.
Speaker 1: So during this first performance, he also does something. He lets the automaton do something that like pretty quickly he'll remove from the performance, which is letting it like speak using a letter board, like a wheezy board like cast get questions and it would answer, but like pretty quickly, he's like gilding the lily. This is just a chess playing robot. So that gets retired pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Because if it can talk, then it's just like a oh, you've invented like a whole person. Yeah you're like you're.
Speaker 1: Actually again like this podcast is called hoax. This is a hoax. I think Templeon realized, Like okay, if I'm also positive that it can answer questions like let's just.
Speaker 2: Think what you know what I mean, like where is where does this end?
Speaker 1: It's a chess robot, So the so unsurprisingly is a massive success. People cannot figure out how he did it. People think he actually he invented a chess playing robot.
Speaker 2: Well, because this is so smart, because it's not just a magic trick. It's also like can you beat this robot in chess? And there's a competition element.
Speaker 1: And it's not just can you solve that this isn't true. There's also we're at the exact stage of history where you're like, maybe you can make a robot that plays chess.
Speaker 2: And also just are you good enough to beat the robot? Like yeah, there's two Like for smart people, there's like three different games to play, Like one of them's chess, the other is like how does this work? And then the other one is like does this work? Does this? Is this real?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it becomes a massive success. The Empress loves it, makes Kempellon do a bunch of appearances, and it becomes the talk of basically Europe because people at court write letters describing it.
Speaker 2: And you don't even need to. Another reason to not have it talk is that it doesn't need to speak a language.
Speaker 1: Everybody speaks speaks chess, and people are like arguing in public letters to newspapers about whether it's even possible to have a machine play chess. One guy writes that, like, obviously there's a guy in the cabinet, and then another guy writes back, that's like, no, I saw it inside the cabinet. It is not big enough for even a small child or a monkey. And that's important because there was a report at this time that the Sultan of Baghdad had a chess playing monkey. So you're like, maybe I have a tiny monkey inside, but it just does not seem physically possible to have a person in there. Publication of these letters goes to you know, French newspapers. The Empress brings Kempelland back from his posting in Bana, where presumably he was solving other local mysteries, and she gives him an additional allow no one's basically doubling his salary and like gives him a bunch of engineering tasks like he mission accomplished. Okay, now he's at court, like making hydraulic systems, like elaborate mechanical beds, Like he wants to be someone who's like doing science, and like she's like, you nailed this automaton entertainment. Here's double your salary dream job.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine being the French magician who did such a lackluster trick that in response, this guy like changed Europe.
Speaker 1: Truly and like publicly, like I did this because this guy's magic fucking sucks. Yes, Kemperlan tries to distance himself from the Turk at this point, like it did its job and it was a stepping stone for him to do more science work. And he now he's doing work that he's like more excited by. He's trying to work on a typewriter that blind people can use, and he's very interested in a machine that can imitate the human voice.
Speaker 2: He's just like he's like trying to help the deaf in the Yeah, it's kind of like he.
Speaker 1: Used this to get his name out there and now he's doing the things.
Speaker 2: It's like a parent.
Speaker 1: Imagine someone making a parody Twitter account in college that they're like, great, I got my name out there, and now.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do like more work. I'm proud of that sort of thing that would never happen. Imagine that the heyday of twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: So there's this gap of several years where the mechanical Church just doesn't play in seventeen seventy four, there's the Scottish nobleman named Sir Robert Murray who basically insists on playing and he writes these letters and Kempelland's like it's broken, it needs to be maintained, and he's like, no, no, I insist. He writes that he and like fifteen other scotsmen come to the scientist's house to play, and then he comments, he writes that, like quote, the automaton had been dismounted for some years because I suppose it took up too much of the gentleman's time. So again Kimpellan is like, I'm a civil servant, I'm an engineer'roud of the fact that I made this thing and no one has correctly guessed how it works. But this isn't like what my what, I'm my main interest. Yeah okay yeah. But then Maria Teresa dies and the new emperor is her son, Joseph the Second, and it's a little tricky when you're a civil servant who's like had been given a big bonus by like a patron who liked you, and now she's not in power anymore, so you know, he wants to make Joseph the Second. Happy Joseph the Second has this visit coming up from Grand Duke Paul of Russia, who's the son of Catherine the Great. They need entertainment. They want to like show off how smart Austria is, and so they're like, hey, wasn't there that like mechanical chess playing Turk?
Speaker 2: Like why don't we get that?
Speaker 1: Everybody liked it like that, So he resurrects the mechanical Turk.
Speaker 2: You know what it is. It's like if you're really known for like being pee wee, you're like, I'm going to do other acting roles and it's like you can. That's not what people want to see, but like you can. We want you to play the hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the new and then when the new Emperor tells you to play the hits, you play that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he comes back with the Chess Player and it is a still a huge and it's so success every nostalgia like yeah.
Speaker 5: The Turk, yeah, I remember, and I still can't figure out how it works.
Speaker 1: And it's such a big hit that Joseph the Second insists on a two year European tour. He's like, you are no more bureaucratic due it's a mandatory sabbatical. And again it's like he has to do it because it's the emperor.
Speaker 2: It's like a Dina Menzel. You're singing let it Go. I don't care if you can hit the notes. You are we were trying. You are singing let it go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost as if the automaton has a life of its own, so he wants it to tour around Europe. Paris is the logical first step because it's sort of the chess capital of Europe. The trip begins in April of seventeen.
Speaker 2: They ever go to Turkey. No, No, that's so rude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it stops at Versailles and it's so popular there they stay longer than expected, and they go to Paris, where it's on display. Spectators are charged like a small admission fee. It will lose a game occasionally. It loses to this man named mister Bernard, and he is a second rank player, which sounds bad. Your second rank, Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, but out of how many ranks, well.
Speaker 1: I was, there were only five second rank players and only two first rank players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like like tennis, where like to even get a rank you have to be like real gu yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: So throughout the Mechanical Tricks life, it will lose a handful of games, but it will win so many more. Okay, so it's like, you know, keeps when it loses, it's notable.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's like bragging rights. It's like I beat that robot. Yeah exactly. Like I know, we know the name of this guy, like a lawyer. We know who he is. Oh, good job.
Speaker 1: It keeps going throughout the summer. People are writing letters about it. It stays at the Cafe de la Regions, which is like the chess cafe where people played.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you meant that, like it stayed there as a hotel And I was like, you mean the guy who made it stayed there. I was like, did get its own room?
Speaker 1: Like no, it got its own box? Yeah, but no, it's like this is like the cafe stood up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so there's a legendary player named Leagal who's one of the first ranked players, and it loses to him. But everyone really wanted to play this legendary player named Philidor. That's like the the match of the century. Everyone wants to.
Speaker 2: See yon Yeah okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say ten Jennings versus Watson.
Speaker 2: Whatever. Didn't Watson play chess? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think, okay, no, no, Well we'll get to that a little.
Speaker 2: I want to see the automaton play Watson.
Speaker 1: It's the deep thought playing casparovn chess.
Speaker 2: We'll get there, okay.
Speaker 1: So Philidor is this amazing French player. He took on three opponents at once while blindfolded, which seems insane.
Speaker 2: I think, once you're that good at chess, like being able to see the board kind of doesn't matter, so I think they like to do it blindfolded just to be like.
Speaker 1: Tee he Well, he won. It was two wins in one draw in case you're curious, and Philadora for him, plays the Turk. Philidor does win, Yeah, but he later says it was a really hard time. And he says that it was pretty terrifying.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure if it.
Speaker 1: Was because it was hard playing chess or it's just kind of like weird and scary to look at. Like maybe he thought it was terrifying just because it was like scary.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like both, like if you were I mean, at this point, these people, chess is their full time job, right, So like, if you are just used to going human a human like kind of playing anything except a human would probably be really scary, and then playing something that looks like a human but isn't, it's probably like so freaking yeah, where you're just like hey, man, like, hey, freaky robo wooden, dude, keep moving your pieces around.
Speaker 1: Well, Philidor isn't the only celebrity in Paris around this time.
Speaker 2: Who else is famous in Paris at this time?
Speaker 1: Dana A little man named Benjamin Franklin. Oh, I've heard of him, heard of him. He was the signatory at the Treaty of Paris at the end of the American Revolutionary War, so he's still representing the US in France at this time. Templand is a huge Ben Franklin fan.
Speaker 2: That makes sense because they both like to make so he's like a fanboy science.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he right to Benjamin Franklin to be like, hey, fandom fan, like, can I meet with you? And so Ben Franklin happens to also be a chess fanatic. Kemberland invites Franklin to his rooms to demonstrate the chess player, to like show him the progress he's making on his like speaking machine because like he's fan boying out he gets to use his chess player, like he's like, okay, I have to be on this tour of Europe. I wish I wasn't, but at least I can like meet my idols. And Benjamin Franklin plays the automaton and he loses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Benjamin Franklin was good at so many things. It's okay if he's bad at one thing, and that thing is chess.
Speaker 1: And he probably wasn't even bad this the chess player is just like really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then it goes to London in the autumn of seventeen eighty three, goes on display five shillings. At the same time, there's this sort of promotional book that's published by a man named Carl Gottlieb von Windisch, who's a friend of Kemberland. So we know it's like it's like an authorized biography. It's basically a book and leaves out all of cancellable things that Turks sometimes he said slurs when he was drunk and yeah, you know, grabbed women's books with his hand with his robotic well, with the they say that hand is decorative but that's his that's his butt grabbing hand. Well, so this book is like written in the form of letters to an anonymous friend, like telling the backstory of the automaton and Campellen and like what it does. So again, these letters aren't real. It's like an ad camp, an epistolary ad campaign. British newspapers are writing articles about people being gullible. This is also one of those things where I think, with historical hopeses were tempted to be like, oh, people were so dumb. At the time, people thought that like robots could play chess. A yes, some people did, because this.
Speaker 2: Isn't one of the ones where I think people were dumb.
Speaker 1: Well, first I want to say people did not know what automatons were capable of, and actually robots can play chess. Now people figured out robots can't play chess, so I'm just going to say that. But even at the time, people were like, I know it's a magic trick, but I don't know how it works. Yes, so most pretty much everyone kind of was just like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: How it works.
Speaker 1: The newspapers also at this point are referencing the fact that the machine had beaten mister Philidor in Paris, which is how rumors get started because he didn't oh see.
Speaker 2: And sometimes newspaper writers get things right. Sometimes the newspaper writers get things wrong. It's also so interesting that it's like the fact that they're making it play chess. It's like, somehow somewhere someone smart is involved in this. Yeah you know what I mean. It's like, okay, even if you're a snotty snot and you're looking at this and you're going, Okay, I don't know how this works, but I know that everyone falling for it is freaking stupid because there's I haven't figured it out yet, but like there's got to be really easy explanation because automatons can't play chess. And it's like, well, somewhere someone involved in this mechanical turk project is freaking smart because they're good at chess. And if I know one thing, it's the chess is the smart people game. Yeah, you're good at.
Speaker 1: Chess, shorthand for being smart.
Speaker 2: Which I actually don't think is necessarily true, but that's like the cultural understanding.
Speaker 1: So in England, there's this guy named Philip Thickness who writes an entire book called The Speaking Figure and the Automaton Chess Player basically with his explanation for the hoax and his explanation, well, first, he starts off by saying, it's impossible for machine to play chess. Okay, so we know it's impossible for machine to play chess.
Speaker 2: Ergo is a hoax. I'm gonna figure out how it works.
Speaker 1: And his theory is that there is a child quote of ten, twelve or fourteen in the machine concealed inside the wooden base, using a mirror to look back at the reflected image of the game and move the arm. He is pointing out that like usually you can only see the turk between one and two pm, like the display hours, because a kid inside wouldn't want a longer confinement, and if it's just a robot, like why wouldn't you want it to.
Speaker 2: Work more hours?
Speaker 1: And he also says like there could be room for the child to like go up into the turk automaton, Like there's not really room in the cabinet, but it could like kind of go into the figure and then see through. Also, you know other theories see through sort of its robes, like its closer like semi transparent so there are theories. I will say there are some people who see it who are like, I don't know if this is real or not, but like I feel very inspired by like what the technology could be capable of. This man Edmund Kurtwright sees the Turk is so inspired that he's like, we could make an automated loom. Yeah, He's like, if a machine can play chess, a machine can weave, and he makes an automatic loom. He patents the power loom three years later, I mean, which like really does a lot for the industrial over Let's go. So it's like this fake technology, even the people who believe it feel like machines are capable of more things that then they actually are capable of.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Kemberlin spend's a year in London then carries on around this time. While he's doing these sort of public displays, he kind of starts another technique, which is like a second chess board, which is the so like, if I'm the figure playing chess, he'll set up like a chessboard next to the machine that the player will be at, so like the audience can see both people facing out and they'll just be like a little string in between, and he'll be the go between. So like you'll move your piece and then he'll move the piece on the turk chess board, and then the Turk will move his piece, and then Campellen will move the piece on your chess board.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: What would like imagine just a stage? I guess not stage, more like a little room. But now there's two people sitting next to each other side.
Speaker 2: So we're playing one game.
Speaker 1: We're playing one game. He's just being the go between to like move the pieces on each store.
Speaker 2: The audience can see better. Yeah, so the audience can see better.
Speaker 1: And also because the machine works better if this if the pieces are exactly in the middle. Okay, so he can like make sure the pieces go exactly in the middle.
Speaker 2: Of the squares.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like that kind of happens. There's this guy around this time. It's like traveling through European cities. It goes to Leipzig, goes to Dresden. Around Dresden, this man, Josef von Recknitz, sees the Turk and becomes like a little.
Speaker 2: Obsessed with how it works.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm going to figure it out, and he builds like models, trying to figure it out, and in seventeen eighty nine comes up with this like full book with illustrations about how he thinks it works. So I'm going to show you his little illustration. This is his little illustration of how he thinks it works.
Speaker 2: There's a little man in a little box.
Speaker 1: It's like a little man in the box sitting sitting up, and he basically says, the drawer that like bottom drawer that pulls out doesn't go all the way to the back.
Speaker 2: Right, so you could like sit with basically your feet in the drawer or like your bottom, like you could like your butt behind.
Speaker 1: No, it would be even like behind the drawer, Like the drawer is like a filtball drawer. So you're sitting like kind of in the narrow space behind a where drawer ends.
Speaker 2: And then you just sit there and you play the chess.
Speaker 1: And like move the arm. The problem with this, it's like a good theory. The problem with it is his model is not proportional.
Speaker 2: The man is just so small.
Speaker 1: The man is small. It does not actually work like the way he drew it.
Speaker 2: Like the man would be like four feet tall.
Speaker 1: And it's it's not He is literally asking a man to fit into a space five feet long, seven inches high and eighteen inches wide, So like a person could not fit in that small a space. Nope, So like people are trying to figure it out, but no one is getting the right answer yet. Compellen returns to Vienna and like probably keeps the machine dormant. We don't know for sure, but it's probably just like hanging out for twenty years and he finally gets to put the Turk behind him, working as a civil servant, an inventor. He writes some plays, makes engravings, works on his speaking machine, which is his big passion, and like friends kind of know not to ask him.
Speaker 2: About the Turk.
Speaker 1: There are like a lot of rumors at this point that like Compellen had this interaction with Frederick the Second of Prussia who like insisted on knowing the secret and then bought it to like know the secret, were like that he played Catherine the Great, but like it didn't. So if you ever see like an account of the mechanical Turk playing Catherine the Great, you know someone.
Speaker 2: Is full of shit. Interesting. So Campellen dies age seventy March twenty sixth, eighteen oh four, and his son sells the mechanical turk to this man named Johann Matel, and Matel is a Bavarian musician that is interested in music machines. He's also very.
Speaker 1: Like a good builder and engineer. He made this instrument I don't I guess you call it an instrument half an instrument half an automaton called the pan Harmonicon that makes the sound of an entire orchestra. And it's basically just like a big box like six feet wide, six feet deep that plays music the way a whole orchestra does. And he's actually friends with Beethoven who composed this like song Wellington's victory for it like great. He makes a mechanical trumpet player that can be programmed to play many different songs.
Speaker 2: Cool. He also made this like his sort of.
Speaker 1: Piece to player piano works. I don't know how player piano works. He also makes this mechanical recreation of the burning down of Moscow when Napoleon got there. So if you're familiar with why would you want that? Well, if you're familiar with the Woking Phoenix film Napoleon, I haven't seen it well, or history When Napoleon got to Moscow Russian people burned it down rather than let him take the city.
Speaker 2: Oh so it's like it's like an anti Okay, I a little bit get why you would want a mechanical recreation.
Speaker 1: It's like a fun if you're anti Napoleon, which like the rest of Europe is, it's a fun anti Napoleon little art piece.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But this metal guy's also like a bit of a plagiarist. Like I mentioned, he was friends with Beethoven. He got him to write this piece for his mechanical orchestra, but then they got in beef because he didn't put Beethoven's name on the poster, because he's like, I bought the.
Speaker 2: Song from you. You can't do that, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Beethoven was mad. And then also this one's like a pretty egregious example. He invented a rudimentary metronome, and then he was traveling around and goes to Amster and like meets this inventor. He's like, hey, you're working on a metronome. I came up with my own metronome and it was like kind of the way you imagine a metronome. And Mitchell's like, oh shit, that's better. Yeah, and he immediately just bounced. He was like, well, first, can I buy it? And the guy was like no, and he's like okay, fine, and he leaves and goes to Paris and just applies for a patent and pass it off as his own and calls it Matel's metronome. And he will, at various points in this story claim to have built the chess player himself in slightly slightly in his defense, it had been out of commission for twenty five years so and he like made some modifulations.
Speaker 2: Finders keepers is not a thing.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, like he did like put it back together. But also you know, since it hadn't really been played in like a quarter of a century, like not a lot of people like remember or no made it. So he yeah, he's let's just he's like a he's a showman. Yeah, dare I say the greatest showman.
Speaker 2: He's a Burnamish, a Burnamish figure. Take a shot if we uh mentioned Pete Barnum on this pod. Yeah, true.
Speaker 1: This is it's while the mechanical Turk is under the custodianship of Matel, that it will meet its most famous opponent. It's gonna meet a little man by the name of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, so it turns out, you know, right, we were pretty anti Napoleon, but then she's gonna march on Europe and you're gonna want to make good with him. Uh.
Speaker 1: Mazel sets up the Turk in the apartments of one of Napoleon's generals in eighteen oh nine, and so a lot of this account, this is a very like famous account. It comes from Napoleon's valet.
Speaker 2: Sorry jumping ahead. Does mates almost know how it works? Yeah? Mason figures out how it works. He So the son didn't tell him he figured it out either.
Speaker 1: The son told him. But if you have it in front of you.
Speaker 2: You'll the secret is in the box. Yeah, you can figure out it. Okay, Okay. So he's using the same method that the original inventor used, Yes, exactly, know how. So he's working it the way that it works, plus some modification and going around Europe, going around Europe, going to do its most famous game. And now he's going to Napoleon. Most of this account we're taking the history of this from Napoleon's valet, who went by Constant, who published his memoirs in eighteen thirty. There are a lot of other accounts of Napoleon with the Turk, because you know, it's like kind of the most famous and romantic episode in the Turk's history, So just like bear that in mind that but a lot of them come from this main account that I am going to take as the most historically accurate because it's someone who is actually the most primary source. Basically, Napoleon sits across from the Turk, the Turk salutes, Napoleon makes a few moves, and then like kind of trying to trick it, makes an intentionally false move to test the automaton to be like, what are you going to do if I me? And for Napoleon like tries to cheat, and the automaton shakes his head and puts the piece back where it's supposed to be, and then Napoleon cheats again, and then a third time, and then the Turk shakes his head and sweeps all the pieces off the board, and he's like, that's it. I love that, because why wouldn't a tom and Tom be scared of Napoleon. He's not, He's already to give a shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So another version of this story will say like Matel had Napoleon sitting at the second chess board, and then like we'll be like a Napoleon tried to cross the roped off area and Matel stopped him. Another it's better if they're facing each other, yeah, And like another account will say that, like you know, when they were at when he tried to put him at the second chessboard, Napoleon said, ah, I will only fight him face to face. And then like they played at the same chess board. But it's like that's a good story, but like probably not, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's really hard for me to picture Napoleon being like at a different chess board, Like it's like so emasculating to be at, like this is your chess board, and this is your chess board.
Speaker 1: And then they also say like a you know, Napoleon thought that the person inside the operator would be looking out through the Turk's clothing, so he like tied a shawl round his body. And again I think that like because spoiler alert, it wasn't it's not a guy sitting in there, so like if you did tie a shawl around the body, it wouldn't wouldn't make a difference. So I think sometimes these like later stories are like meant to show like the trickery involved, but like that's there's no actual historical record of that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: There's also later in like eighteen forty four, so again this is like years later there'll be a London news chess column that claims that they actually did play the full game, which lasted nineteen moves, and they reproduce all of the moves, but like they don't have any evidence that those.
Speaker 2: Are the moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it also doesn't really make sense because it like has both of them playing very badly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I feel like if somebody were there recording the moves, like we would like that would be in a museum.
Speaker 1: If someone had recorded the moves. It feels unlikely that the first account of that would be a lunch did in news column in eighteen forty four. But at a certain point, napoleon stepson enters the chat. Okay, he is mayor famously married to a woman named Josephine.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he had a step son.
Speaker 1: Josephine had kids from a first marriage, who's her husband incidentally guillotine by Napoleon No, okay, by the French Revolution, but not her, not.
Speaker 2: Her, because she was just a lady. In theory.
Speaker 1: She was like almost she was like in line to be guillotine. The luckily the French Revolution like ran out of Steene before that. History history is weird. The steps On purchases the Turk sometime between eighteen oh nine and eighteen twelve. He loved chess. He wants to know the secret.
Speaker 2: And he's like, this is that machine that annoyed my stepdad. Did Napoleon get along with his steps On?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no they were.
Speaker 2: They were good friends.
Speaker 1: No, they not good friends. They heavily a lot of mutrable respect. They were allies.
Speaker 2: This is such an interest question to asking an episode about chess. Did Napoleon get along with the steps He did? All right, fantastic? Okay, So he loves chess. He wants to know the secret.
Speaker 1: Ye, matel says that he'll only tell you this, tell you the secret if you buy it.
Speaker 2: Ye. Eugene offers to buy it.
Speaker 1: His name is Eugene, Eugen. I don't know how to ta it in a French way.
Speaker 2: Okay. He offers to buy it.
Speaker 1: He pays thirty thousand francs for it, which is three times what Mattel had paid, and so at this time, you know, Eugene is off with Now he owns the chess robot. Matel is busy working on a new panharmonicon and the mechanical new you know, his fancy mechanical display of the Conflagration of Moscow. Around this time, Napoleon is defeated by Wellington. We're going to fast forward again to eighteen fifteen, four years later.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying it all ties back, because where was Napoleon defeated Waterlin Abbas breakout.
Speaker 1: Hit Abbas bright chess chess.
Speaker 2: It all comes back.
Speaker 1: So again I'm like fast forwarding through a lot of history. But basically Eugene has this robot for four years. MATEL comes back now that He's like, I have my pan Harmonicon, I have my Conflagration of Moscow. I want my chess player back for my little museum. He tries to buy it back. Eugene is like, well, I'm not going to sell it for less than thirty thousand francs, which is what that makes sense. MATEL cannot afford that. There's a few different accounts. Maytel is like bad with money, but the likeliest sort of outcome here is that he like kind of agrees to like a buy now, pay later, like in tries to Klarna. Yeah, he Klarina is the mechanical chest robot.
Speaker 2: I do understand the principle of don't sell something for less than you paid for it. That makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: So Meltel goes back on tour. He goes to London. He puts this mechanical turk on display with his trumpeter and some other attractions. Crowds are really great by this point. It's like a speaking robot. It'll say check and later when it tours in France, they'll say, like a check in French, and then they say that. From that point on, he doesn't do He does mostly the same like little show of like opening cabinets in the same order that Kempellendad, except he won't like use the wooden.
Speaker 2: Cask that he was holding walk around with.
Speaker 1: He doesn't walk around the box because he's like, people aren't that superstitious anymore.
Speaker 2: The box is like spoiler alert misdirection, Oh okay, and so he's like, oh, I'm not going to do that, okay, but you know, it's it's a big hit. People love it.
Speaker 1: Crowds are so great he has to like keep it open every single day. So up until this point, the chess player the mechanical turk always went first because his side of the board is white. At this point, to like make it jazzier and more impressive, mental will let the opponent go first using black, which is like not traditional, and he will also have the mechanical turk be down upon as like a little handicap.
Speaker 2: He'll like upon I thought you said like a pawn, like once upon a time, Like he is down upon.
Speaker 1: What down a pawn chess piece does he is he losing more? Not really so he's like quote giving odds of pawn and move, and over three hundred games of this he loses about six.
Speaker 2: Thought's really good, Oh, really good.
Speaker 1: Although I will say, like for me, like you have a chess playing robot in theory, that's what you're saying you have. Why do you need to like make it harder for you to like, I guess to me, I'm like, what's impressive. Isn't that it's good at chess. It's impressive that it's like playing at all, Like you're purporting to have made a chess playing robot. Why do you need to like be like and I can win with less one less pawn. Does that make it more impressive to you?
Speaker 2: I think it makes it like fresh?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, like if you're like, if you've lived in a world where we already accept that there's a chess playing robot.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's fair. And I mean again, people at this point are writing. This man Robert Willis writes this.
Speaker 2: Pain like if you taught a dog to sing like you want it to sing. Well, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: So this man, Robert Willis writes this pamphlet in eighteen twenty one, trying to come up with how it's done. And his determination is like he's like, okay, first, it's impossible for a robot to think. Quote, it cannot usurp and exercise the faculties of mind. It cannot be made to vary its operations so as to meet the ever varying circumstances of a game of chess. So he's like, I know, it's a cabinet. It's a you know, parlor trick. His explanation is that like a player moves up into the turk's torso and guides.
Speaker 2: The hand like a puppet. I guess like kind of a big bird situation. Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: This guy goes on to become a professor of mathematics at Cambridge. Smart dude, and his grandpa, incidentally, was the one who cured George the Third's first out of madness.
Speaker 2: I just find that interesting. Okay. So these people have thought a lot about what the mind can and cannot do.
Speaker 1: But you know what, someone is in London at this time who actually thinks computers might be capable of reasoning.
Speaker 2: Okay, and it's a man named Charles Babbage. Does that sounds really familiar?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he sees the Turk play in March eighteen nineteen and again the next year, and he's like very impressed with the mechanisms of the movement. He's positive that it's under human control. He's like, this is not actually an automaton, but you know, and he doesn't know how. He's like, I can't figure it out, I know, but I can. This is a person doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But he's still like very inspired by this question of whether a chess playing machine is possible. And Charles Babbage is going to work on this thing called the difference engine and then later the analytical Engine, which are precursors to the modern computer. Yes, Like he basically figures out like, oh, actually a computer would be capable of playing jazz. So Mittel continues on his tour. He goes to Amsterdam, where if you remember, there was a guy who's still mad that he stole his metronome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone would be. He tries to get Metzal investigated for piracy and he is basically forced to admit that he stole the design, but then it bound is immediately before he faces any consequences. Does another season in London, goes to Paris, hit by another lawsuit, this time from Eugene for failure to make payments. Yeah, no kidding, So he tries to sell the churk Off to pay his debts. At this point, there's no bite posses give it back to Eugene.
Speaker 1: Well he doesn't want to, because it's like what he's gonna use to make money, But at this point no one buys it, presumably because they're like, well it's not really yours to sell. Yeah okay, yeah, but he does what any I guess showman would do in this situation, which is just say off to America.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, the land of running away from your debt.
Speaker 1: Land of running away from your debt. He lands in New York in eighteen twenty six. Big Crowds in New York sells out a lot of newspaper coverage. Something slightly different is happening here. He's the chess mechanical Turk is playing only end games, which means you sort of like set up a puzzle, and he would let opponents pick out of a book like which end game they would want to play, And he would also let the opponents pick which whether they want to be black or white, which side they want to be and uh, but the Turk would always start, which kind of meant that like it would always win, right, Like if you know the tricks of this book, Like if you know all the end games, you kind of can like know all.
Speaker 2: The puzzles, right, and you could program them into a computer. Yeah, in theatery potentially.
Speaker 1: Uh, Eugene at this point had died, but his family representatives do follow.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are the descendants of the step kids of Napoleon. They've got that dog in him.
Speaker 1: In case you're wondering, he does look settle up, so like we don't worry about that anymore. The Turk is not playing full games, but there is a lot of public pressure from a man named Greco who's kind of like New York's leading chess player, and he wants to play a full game against the Turk, but the Turk is like no, no. It comes up with all these excuses, comes up up with the excuses, and then goes to Boston. And there's like a big rivalry between New York and Boston over like who are better chess players. It will some other stuff, but like at this point with the Turk, they're like hmm. And the Turk does start playing full games in Boston and loses a match, which causes people in Boston to start bragging about how they're the best. Greco writes into a newspaper issuing a challenge. Metal doesn't respond yet. It beats a bunch of players. It beats most of the players, but does lose to a guy named doctor Benjamin Green, who, as you know, it's like big bragging rights I beat the right, goes to Philadelphia. It does briefly stop in New York City again and says it will rise to Greco's challenge.
Speaker 2: The okay, but first I want to get a slice of pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, should we put money on it?
Speaker 2: Let's meet privately.
Speaker 1: Metzel says, look, my turk is still packed up because we're on our way to Philadelphia. But like you're bragging about how players in New York City are the best, better than European players, would you be willing to play my associate, my sort of right hand man and secretary, a man named Schlumberger, Because if you're better, then you know, if you if you're saying you can beat the turk, like you're saying you can bet European players, play my secretary. Greco loses to Schlumberger and then issues of public apology saying that, like, you know what, American chess players were beaten by a foreigner. So I love to see a man humbled goes to Philadelphia, goes to Baltimore where the MCA turk. I find this very charming. He plays a man named Charles Carroll, who is eighty nine years old and at this point the last living signer of the Declaration of Independence, and like, the Turk loses, but it plays like really badly, like it was like one move away from winning and then like made a silly move so it's like it lost.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that, I like giving a win to an old guy. Yeah, so it's like it lost to the old guy, which is cute. And at this point, while it's in Baltimore, two young boys climb onto a roof nearby and they look down and they they write into a newspaper and say, hey, we were hanging out on a roof and we saw a guy climb out of that machine. The newspaper publish, first publishes its account, and then later is like, well, it was like two boys were not corroborated, you know, it was like uncorroborated. And then also other newspapers are like, you stupid idiots, Like that was MATEL trying to drum up publicity, like he was trying to be like can you like yeah, So people then accuse that newspaper of like falling for a hoax, of like there were never two boys you saw. He was just trying to be like all press is good press, sure, but it doesn't sound like he really needs press. No, But that's so okay. Well, putting a pin in that bit.
Speaker 1: A little bit, because another like very American thing that I think that happens is like there's a lot of imitators.
Speaker 2: At this point, I was about to say, because the guy who invented this originally, yeah, someone else could invent I mean, he wasn't like the most genius person in the whole wide world. He was like very smart, but it did all that stuff in Austria.
Speaker 1: But like there is like a quote unquote American chess player, but he's like less impressive robotically, which is again you're like, whoa, The mechanical turck was invented decades ago, but still it is less impressive mechanically, and it's also worse at chess.
Speaker 2: See Okay, so you're right. You just said why does it have to be good at chess? Because if it's not good at chess, it's not as impressive. You're right. I eat my words.
Speaker 1: He Metchel like tries to buy it to like get it off the market. The players refuse, but like that's actually not a big deal. It like is eventually sold. It's like less good at just no one really cares about it. There's an automaton whist player that is whist like a game, I guess a card game.
Speaker 2: I think I never heard of this.
Speaker 1: He buys it and then take a shot Lizzie Logan because we're about to get a camp P. T.
Speaker 2: Barnum. P. T. Barnum writes in his memoir that he meets this is like this is out of a movie. This really is my favorite scene. Dana is like wriggling around in her chair. She's like having a cane. He P. T.
Speaker 1: Barnum in his My according Memoirs, meets Metzel at this point is the greatest showman and right quote that he P. T. Barnum was pleased with Metal's assurance that I would certainly make a successful showman, like.
Speaker 2: Like at the beginning of the movie, Ye guess the goods kid, exactly, you got the goods to trick people.
Speaker 1: One day you'll be the greatest showman. Also, the mechanical check is kind of like Forrest Gump, Like it just like keeps appearing throughout history.
Speaker 2: Like meeting. It's like and that little kid with Steve Jobs, Well you know who it's about to meet. Okay, it's already met Ben Franklin. Yeah, it's already met Napoleon. Yep, it's already met P. T. Barnum, It's already met a signer of the Declaration of Well, did Ben Franklin sign the Decoration of Inpendence?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's now met two signers of the Decoration of Independance. Who else could it possibly meet?
Speaker 1: Well, it goes down to Richmond, Virginia in eighteen thirty five and meets a young reporter writing for the Southern Literary Messenger named Edgar Allan Poe and Edgar A. And Poe writes this famous essay explaining how he thinks it works. Is he right, no, okay, And he's close though, he's like, it's like pretty good. His conclusion is basically the same as that young guy Willis's, which is like the cabinet is like there's movable partitions, it's like a trick cabinet. There's someone in there. And he does think that someone moves up into the turk's body, and he points out, he does make the very intelligent observation that you never see that Schlumberger guy in the same place as the turk, and you know there was a moment when Schlumberger was ill and the Turk's performances stops.
Speaker 2: So it's like just like happened to be quite short.
Speaker 1: I don't know actually but again Edgar ound Poe. People say that he's like famous for inventing the detective story. That's like a thing that like and like this article that he wrote which is very interesting that I will you know, link to. In the episode description is kind of structured and written like a detective story. It is like, here's the situation, here's my investigation, here are my observations, here's my conclusion. So he's kind of mass bring the form, just like another interesting cameo. Meanwhile, the tour continues around the US New Orleans eventually Havana. I think Mettel realizes this time, like with the Imitator, like, look, I'm not going to just get by on my mechanical turk. I need like my whole little museum collection. So while he's like working on a bigger, better version of the conflagration of Moscow, he builds like a diorama of the Pyrrhic fires and like has a few other little like cabinet tricks, oh kbinet of curiosity tricks. But then you know, things take a turn for the worst. In November of eighteen thirty seven, he's going on a second tour of Havana, but in the spring of that year, Schlumberger, his right hand man and secretary, dies of yellow fever. Oh yeah, it never says anywhere, and there's no evidence that they're lovers, but I like to imagine the lack okay, because he's really sad when he dies. The rest of Mental's company does hurt him. He's in debt from building his new better Conflagration of Moscow, and he's like alone on a ship and like this is like the saddest detail to me. He's on this ship coming back from Havana. The captain sees him sitting alone with a travel chess set and challenges him to a game of chess.
Speaker 2: It's like chess, I know.
Speaker 1: And Metzl wins one game and then plays a second game and loses, and he's like a bad sport about it, and like goes to his cabin, stays there for six days straight drinking, and then the like people in the cabin in the ship find him.
Speaker 2: He died and he's buried at sea. July. Oh, he dies dies too on the ship. That is that's not just sad, that's like yeah, man.
Speaker 1: And I will say, like for a guy who was like a con man and plagiarist. Like people are sad when he dies, like it's nice obituaries because he was like a good entertainer. Yeah, and this is kind of the era where it's like it was entertainment. He wasn't, like I mean, it sounds like he was.
Speaker 2: Like bad with money con Man, not like promising you riches and taking your money and absconding in the night and leaving you pregnant with the bad debts con Man. I mean, like, again, there's a difference.
Speaker 1: The goal was entertainment always, which like as far as hoaxes go, I kind of always am on the side of like, well that's like you know, and noble hoax. If it's like consensual entertainment, sure, like a magic show.
Speaker 2: And also I can't imagine the tickets to this work costs very much.
Speaker 1: No, And I don't think people were going like they weren't being like I'm going to install a chess playing robot technology in my home. You just get to like go and be like that's cool and go about your day.
Speaker 2: And if you found out that it wasn't real, you wouldn't be like, my.
Speaker 4: Life is alive.
Speaker 1: I do kind of think of it as like a magician, where like if you see a magician like a good magic trick, you're I have no idea how that worked. That was great, but like you kind of know it's not real, but you can still be impressed.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, they don't sew a lady in half. I hope everybody everyone knows that.
Speaker 1: So with that, as I mentioned, like Mitchel was in debt from like building his new conflagration of Moscow, and like the businessman who had loaned him money, takes possession of his things, tries to auction off the turk.
Speaker 2: No one really.
Speaker 1: Buys it, so he basically just buys it to himself for four hundred dollars the equivalent of about like twelve thousand dollars today.
Speaker 2: Who buys it?
Speaker 1: This businessman, oh John, He just sort of like took possession of Mantel's things. But then there's this man John kerz Lee Mitchell, who actually is Edgar around Poe's personal physician at this point, and he is very curious about how the mechanical turk works, Like he likes the history, he thinks it's cool, and he basically crowdsources buy it so that everyone can pay to like see how it works. He's like, buy a ticket to like join my club, will buy the robot and like figure out how it works. Yeah, and he does, and in eighteen forty like people he either five or ten dollars, he has seventy five like quote unquote subscribers.
Speaker 2: They buy the machine.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately for him, it was like separated in a bunch of crates, like pieces seem to be missing, and there's like a lot of like red herring pieces, like presumably because like when it was traveling place to place, they like didn't want everyone who unloaded the boxes to know how it works. So like it's kind of hard to put back together. It's a tricky puzzle. But eventually he does public performances for his like little club of people where they would like do the performance and then like show ever and how it works. He kind of loses interests at a certain point because he's like, I don't want everyone coming over to my office to see how this works. Like we figured this out. He donated to the Philadelphia Museum aka known at this point as the Chinese Museum, because like, once you know the secret, it's less interesting. It's like a cool historical object, but like, what are you gonna.
Speaker 2: Do with it, but I want to know the secret.
Speaker 1: Well, it does a few acasional shows at the museum, but like now that there's no showman, yeah, it's not really no one really cares. Okay, it's relegated to the back of the museum. And then July fifth, eighteen fifty four, I have some really bad news.
Speaker 2: Is it burned down?
Speaker 1: A fire starts at a National theater in nearby reaches the museum. John Mitchell's son Silas, recounts that like he ran to the museum to try to save it, and he, like very romantically recounts like I don't like to see it.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 1: He says that he heard it say it's final words like chick and burned down. At this point, though, I'm going to put you out of your misery because.
Speaker 2: This is my curiosity, like horniness for this information.
Speaker 1: Well, so Silas where Mitchell, the son of the guy who like purchased it for the club, is like, you know what, now that it's burned down, now that doesn't exist, I will publish the answer.
Speaker 2: Okay. Side note Silas.
Speaker 1: Where Mitchell the guy, the son of the guy who published the answer, is also the guy who invented the rest cure for women, which is like, if you're sick, just sit in bed and do nothing.
Speaker 2: Someone had to invent that. Well, like it's a bad ideas, like ancient wisdom.
Speaker 1: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, did you have to read the Yellow wallpaper in college about that woman who it goes crazy? Well, he treated her and she read the short story about going nuts, because that's not a way to treat women.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's him.
Speaker 1: He's published in Answers and also coming up with sort of a Victorian cures for curing women.
Speaker 2: I do think, like go hang out by the seaside. That's a good cure. Away from everyone who's bothering you, is like a good cure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like sit in a bed and you can't read or like interact with anyone or do anything would be torture. But okay, here is the answer. As he publishes it, people were right about like details about their theories, but no one had put it all together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like everybody got five percent, got everyone got kind of like fifty percent. Okay, but here's the kind of the amazing thing, Like this is decades later, like it is almost one hundred years later that this guy invented this like magic trick really and like no one figured it out, which is like, great, good job, this successful piece of entertainment. It's like a chess move.
Speaker 1: The way it worked is that bottom drawer did not extend all the way back correct on that inside. I'm going to try to find a picture that I think will sum this up really well. Here we go inside. There is a sliding seat, so if you're on a seat, it slides back and forth, so there is surprise surprise a person inside. Someone is like crouched at the back, and when he's showing the front right, he's like back, he like sells a chair back.
Speaker 2: Basically, you're in whatever part of the box is not on display.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then when he's like displaying the bigger compartment, you pull slide the sliding chair FOURD and he can open that one and then when it closes you can sort of sit up right. And the way it worked it's actually kind of amazing technology because like, Okay, what is your theory of how he would know what was happening on the chess game. There's a guy sitting in the cabinet that much we know.
Speaker 2: This is not my theory. This is my half remembered explanation from this YouTube video. Okay, is that like basically there was like a magnet version. I'm picturing it like upside down of the chessboard, so that they could just sort of know what was going on up there.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's the basic idea. So what it is what you should picture is on the roof of the the box cabinet. Imagine little strings hold like magnetized little discs. Yeah, And all of the chess pieces have magnets in them, so when a piece is on a square, the little disc is magnetized up. And if you pick a piece up, it drops on the string right, So then it would like bounce on the string and you could.
Speaker 2: Be like, ah, that guy picked up that piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then when you put it on a new square, that little magnetized disc jumps up to magnetize, right, so he could follow the game upside down, yes, and then he would have his own board, like he would be able to move this thing that then would move the arm of the turk in a corresponding.
Speaker 2: Way like an autograph machine. An autograph machine exactly.
Speaker 5: So you see it's like he was so basically it's like we're talking like a series of interconnected sticks going from my hand up to the Turk's hand, so that if I move my hand.
Speaker 2: Two inches north, its hand moves two inches north. So I can operate it from below and you open your hand, I close the hand, open claw, pick up piece, clothes claw exactly, yes, And he could make make the turk nod.
Speaker 1: He could make him roll his eyes with little mechanisms inside. He could also just make like generic whirring sounds, like generically if he had like coffer sneeze, it would make like machine sounds to cover the coffer sneeze. There was sort of a it's not like that important, but like a little number code system that they could twist inside outside like imagine just like a little simple thing where like numbers would appear on the outside to communicate little messages back and forth to be like my candle went out, and then he could like come down and like readjust the you know, mechanics relight the candle. The reason that the Turk always had a candelabra on the table wasn't just to light the game, but also to know how no to disguise the smoke of the other, which is pretty clever, and it leads to my next point that there's like a lot of like literature and stories about this because it's like very romantic. There's also this story that is unfortunately not true, that says, like, Okay, before Compellan built his mechanical turk, he was in Russia working on his speaking machine, and he ran into this Polish revolutionary who had led an uprising against the Russian army and which there was that was real, and he had lost his legs in battle, but he can't get out of Russia because he's a wanted man. And so while they're holed up in a cabin, Compellan realizes that he is amazing at chess, and he builds this mechanical turk to like sneak him out of Russia. Funny, and like then there's another like.
Speaker 2: But then he actually did solve a mystery and gets several wrongfully imprisonment out of jail.
Speaker 1: So yeah, apparently, so like there's a lot of romantic stories, and I, you know, I think it's very like it raises very interesting questions about thinking and what a machine can do, because, as you mentioned, like now robots can play chess. There's a very famous period where a i'll say robot, machine, computer, computer is the word named deep Blue will play against the chess grand master Kasparov and it'll beat him. And it's like a computer can now beat a grand master, and like nowadays machines can play chess like they're nothing. But like I will ask you the philosophical question if you don't mind me taking a few moments, like a lot of times those machines. I'm not an expert in computers, but at least the way deep Blue was playing and deep thought, which is like precursor, it's kind of like rote information. It knows all the possible moves and then it sort of reads okay, based on this position, like here are all the possible moves I could make like information trees, and just there's a lot of computational power that it can store all that information and then apply it. But like, is a computer thinking if it is plain chess? Is my question to you, I mean, what is thinking? So there's a famous thought experiment. I think therefore it am there's a famous thought experiment I barely called the Chinese room thought experiment that like this whole thing kind of reminds me of which is this idea that like it was written in the I say nineteen nineteen eighty by a man named John Searle, who said, like, imagine you are in a room. To the best of my anlogy, you do not speak Chinese. No, but imagine you had a I can say, anyhow well done. Imagine you had a book that basically like, you're in a room, someone slides a piece of paper under the door with a Chinese symbol, and you have a big old book that is like if someone gives you this symbol right back this symbol, and so someone writes you a Chinese symbol, you and like, you write the Chinese symbol back, and then they write you a different Chinese symbol, and then you figure out reading the book and send a Chinese symbol back. That person on the other side would be like, Wow, this person is writing to me back and forth in Chinese, but you do not understand Chinese.
Speaker 2: So they think we're having a conversation, yeah, and you want I'm just being a little computer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so the question is like, I guess the philosophical argument is like you are playing that game, but you do not understand Chinese. A computer can say like, okay, if a piece moves here, then like statistically I should move my piece here. But does that mean it like understands Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't like this is now with questions of like ai is it just like a lot of these like language models are just like filling in like predictive text.
Speaker 2: But are they thinking? I don't. These are like.
Speaker 1: Questions that I think philosophers are going to be reckoning with for for a long time.
Speaker 2: I know, because it's also like I won't speak for why chess players play chess. I think that depends player to player, but a lot of them are like they might they might be doing it for like the love of the game. Yeah you know what I mean. Like I didn't understand running for a really long time where I was like where are you going? I still don't, but it's like, oh, they they just like to run, like they just like to Is that.
Speaker 1: In favor of playing chess against humans or playing against run?
Speaker 2: I'm just like, do you have to know? Do you have to understand what a game of chess is? Like? Isn't the act of computing what the best chess move is like that is what chess is. Yeah, regardless of the outcome. That's that's a good argument, say, you know what I mean, that's what they like about it, the fact they like sitting there thinking about it. Yeah, not that it doesn't have a deeper meaning to those people, but it's like that's like what they enjoy about it is the you know what I mean, Like swimming laps seems like so freaking boring to me, but it's like that's what swimmers like about it is the meditative, you know what I mean. I mean, this is the.
Speaker 1: Bigger philosophical question. Someone like John Seerl would argue that, like there is something more to playing chess or like understanding Chinese than just like writing the correct characters. But I think plenty of people like you would argue, like, no, it is the action that defines the thought process.
Speaker 2: Well, like that there is something more like within that action that, like the action thinking through it is the ultimate form of it. So are you saying, like just my computers are thinking or no, I don't know. I think they're playing chess. They are playing chess. I think they are playing chess. I don't know if they're thinking.
Speaker 1: I think just like a fun thing about about the mechanical turk is do you remember a Tesla we robot event in twenty twenty four when they had like Tesla bots they call it, I guess they're called Optimists, but they.
Speaker 2: Were electronic drinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're actually tele operated by humans.
Speaker 2: Yes. Do you remember when Amazon tried to do a whole grocery store where you didn't have to like do check out Amazon, just walk away? Wait, but I want to finish this point, yes, because I was just about to say it was the exact same.
Speaker 1: Thing where like it actually is people keeping track of it. Yes, yeah, it's not robots. Yeah, it's just people.
Speaker 2: And it is the same as the Tesla the things, and it was just it's like the same way that RC cars work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think it's very funny that, like it's been one hundred and fifty years since more than it's been two hundred and fifty years since the mechanical turk, and Tesla was still doing a mechanical turk just as like a better looking robot.
Speaker 2: I would say, equally looking. I don't think those Tesla bots are particularly cool looking.
Speaker 1: Well, Lizzie, that that's our show that's the story. That's the decade spanning story of them mechanicals.
Speaker 2: That is an epic odyssey of chessness. Who would you cast in the movie of this?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I mean it's the obvious one. I'm just think British period piece, but no need for it to be British. It could be anyway. Timothy Shallamy always Timothy Austin Butler, he has the juice.
Speaker 2: I think Austin Butler would be good as the Turk. As the Turk, he can do anything. He's kind of weak up the Lord. He can do anything. Yes, he's such a good creature that is built now. And maybe Anthony Hopkins as an inventor of some kind. Damn, I don't want that. It's pretty good, Lizzie. Where can the good people find you? The good people can find us as at Hoax the Podcast on Instagram and you can.
Speaker 1: Email us at Hoax Thepodcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: If you know how to play chess, good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's play online. I'll make a chess dot com account and we can play. Email me or you know, go on the Instagram, follow us and dm us here chest log in and I'll play you online.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I will watch.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. Please, if you like this podcast enjoy listening to it, please rate, review and subscribe, vibe and.
Speaker 2: Please hoax responsibly.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: Hoax is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our hosts are Danas Schortz and Lizzie Logan. Our executive producers are Matt Frederick and Trevor Young, with supervising producer Rima L. Kali and producers Nomes Griffin and Jesse Funk. Our theme music was composed by Laine Montgomery. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for listening.