Speaker 1: The Craig Ferguson Pants on Fire Tour is on sale now. It's a new show, it's new material, but I'm afraid it's still only me, Craig Ferguson on my own, standing on a stage, telling comedy words. Come and see me, buy tickets, bring your loved ones, or don't come and see me. Don't buy tickets and don't bring your loved ones. I'm not your dad. You come or don't come, but you should at least know what's happening, and it is. The tour kicks off late September and goes through the end of the year and beyond. Tickets are available at the Craig Ferguson Show dot Com slash tour. They're available at the Craig Ferguson show dot Com slash tour or at your local outlet in your region. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is Joy. I talk to interest in people about what brings them happiness. My guest today is some when I first met thirty years ago, Bord. She's very, very talented, and very clever and very funny. I always enjoy talking to her and I always enjoyed listening to her, and I invite you to do that right now. Join my guest today, Lisa. Look, everybody, do you know what I'm very happy about Lisa, And I'm going to tell you this right now. We both look exactly the same as we did when we first met. Well you do, actually, which is kind of I've kind of got a little squiggly around the edges, but you look exactly the same. You're still the youthful songstress that I don't know if you remember this. We first met when I was doing the Drew Carey Show. Do you remember that when you were right?
Speaker 2: And I got to be a guitar player? I mean I am one, but I got to play myself. I've been seeing that on socials lately. Some of the people I forgot were on there, like Slash, Joe.
Speaker 1: Wall was there, Joe Watsh and I became pals after that. Cool.
Speaker 2: I've met him a couple of times, but we didn't actually become like friends yet.
Speaker 3: I remember when we met him.
Speaker 2: We met him someplace, my husband and I and I said, oh my gosh, this is so cool. We get to meet you, and He's like yeah, right, or he was like yeah, We're like, yeah, it is cool to meet you.
Speaker 1: He's very, very fun. Once I was doing a I got a job doing a working on it. As a long story, but I got a job working doing a script with Mick Jagger, and so I had to leave the Drew Carey Show and go and be on tour with Rolling Stones for a little bit. And everybody was saying, oh, say tell Mike. I said Hi, Tell Mike. I said Hi. And then Joe was there and he said tell Mike. I said Hi, and I went, oh, yeah, you actually mean tail make. I said like like, yeah, yeah, I've known him for years. That's so cool.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you, did you? What happened with the Did anything happen with the Rolling Stones? Mick Jagger thing?
Speaker 1: Meccad the idea for a screenplay, and I had written a movie that he liked, so then uh, he go he hired me to write this movie and I wrote two drafts of it, and then I go fired and the movie never goes made. But that happens.
Speaker 3: He's taller than I thought. He's taller than I thought.
Speaker 1: We have told you. I always thought he was Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I know exactly, but but he's taller though, like I've met him once and then I also had a sighting of him. I met him in the studio once I was visiting. Dawn was the producer and uh yeah yeah, and he he was like he had been working with Mick Jagger a lot, I guess, or he was in the studio. So he was like, let's go out there, and like we knock on the door. We're like, is he in there? And we're our ears to the door, although you can't hear anything because it's a really huge studio, you know, with like the super doors. But anyway, we're trying to listen and he wasn't there. So we opened the door and he was in there with what's his name from Eurythmics, Dave Stewart who he was working with. And I was trying to be cool, so I first introduced myself to like the guy working at pro Tools on the computer and the other assistant and then like the third assistant, and I was just going around the room. I wasn't trying to prioritize Mick Jagger and Dave Stuart. But then I got to make Jagger and he was he was what I'm five two, so everybody seems you know taller.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: See, this is an interesting lesson and perspective because the first time I met Mick Jagger, i met him I had to fly to Istambul because they were doing the bridges to Babylon too. It oh yeah, And I met him there and I was very tired of jet like by the time I met him. And he opened it a tail room door and he was so riddle that I said, oh, you're adorable. And I very much regretted saying that right away. But and you said it to a thing you said it to Yeah, I said it out loud, like like I still done the job.
Speaker 3: What are we thinking?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think sometimes when you meet super famous people and they've been super famous since a long since, like you were a kid, then it's hard to compute, you know what I mean, Like you're super fa and it's I'm very comfortable talking with you because I've talked to you lots of different times over the years. And if you meet people who were famous when you were a kid, it's a different thing.
Speaker 3: I did that recently. Who did I talk to? And I walked up to them and I said, gosh, who was it? I have to remember. I said, oh my gosh, you're so cute. Can I squish your face?
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 3: Somebody like, what am I squishing? Something like squishing their face with my hands?
Speaker 1: Who was that? I don't think I'm going to say, Robert, but you.
Speaker 3: I also and I can't remember this.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if I met you first, or if my parents somehow met you first backstage and one of your shows in Dallas. I may have been on your show once and then maybe connected you guys, I don't know, and then I was on your show again. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I don't really remember the order, but I do remember your parents, because people's parents come and see me. Yeah, to this day, it's a thing. I was doing a meet and greet after a show, like a couple of weeks ago, and this lady with a very familiar face said to me, do you know my my son is an actor? And I went, I know it was your son's name, and she said Wess and I looked at her visit with you're Wes Bentley's mom. She went, yeah, have you heard of my son? My son? But she was it was very lovely, but she really Wes Bentley really looks like it's mom, Oh my god, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's so amazing. It's you just you never know who you're going to meet. I'm trying to look to see on my phone who I met, who I squished their face, And I was like, I can't believe that was like the first Oh, I know it was.
Speaker 3: It was a music festival. It was this huge music festival.
Speaker 2: And the last minute I was playing there with my band like a couple of months ago, and at the last minute, they said, oh, hey, do you want to co host this cooking segment right before you play with this you know TV chef and Jason ahwa is the kid from American Pie.
Speaker 1: This kid Jason Isaacs, No I want to say.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you and uh. And I had never met him before and I was like, oh, uh, I'm terrible with names. That's another really, Oh, Jason Biggs, this guy showing you you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do know what you mean. I know Jason Biggs, and he would be okay with you. This question is faint that guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah he doesn't really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know he did cooking segments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does cooking segments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he had a cooking something something I don't know, and I had a cooking show on Food Network as well, and it was really fun. It's a very fun thing to do to cook on Do you still do that?
Speaker 1: Do you still do all the cook and stuff? I do?
Speaker 3: I mean in real life, I do.
Speaker 2: I think I do, although my kids lately they're like, uh, chicken tika masala again. I'm like, I'm you know, I'm trying hard. I'm a human. I'm not just like a mom. I'm a human. I'm trying really hard to make food. I think it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: So funny to me because I hear you say, you know, you talk to your kids and you're a mom. But to me, you're like, you know, you're twenty eight years old, and I I see you in the Drew Carry Show. It's like, I think of my sale. I'm like, I'm forty two and my kids are just little. But that's not true any know. My kids have grown up and I think I'm an asshole.
Speaker 2: You're the worst person ever, right, Yeah, I feel like clavely in Los Angeles. I've definitely felt things shifting, and it may be because I'm wearing black sweats a lot, just a nice black sweatpants. I always feel like Oprah Winfrey at some point said, don't leave your house looking like, I don't know what like. You need to be basically put together. So I'm put together, like black sweats, sneakers, black T shirt, and a lot of salespeople lately when I'm with my kids are like, mom, hy mom. They call me mom, like at Verizon car Mom, Yeah, mom, what do you think of that?
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, yeah, I'm the mom. I mean I am.
Speaker 1: You know, once I was standing with one of my boys at Galson's. You know, Gelson's right near my house, right near your house, right, So where are you at? Which one were you in here? Well, at that time it was the one just like on the top, like the bottom of beach, would that area? Yeah? Right, So I'm at the Gelson's and I was standing with my oldest son, who at the time I think was about fifteen. Yeah, And we were standing there and I saw this girl look at him as she was going by, and then she just went by. She looked at him and she went by, and I went, oh my god, something just happened. Somebody just saw It wasn't a guy with his kid. She saw a guy with his dad. It was I wasn't the guy anymore. It was like he was the guy and I was the appendage. And I was like, oh man, that is a shift. But it is, you know, it's just there. It happens. It's the natural order of things. Well is it your kids now?
Speaker 2: I was just about to ask you that my kids are My daughter just turned fifteen, she's in ninth grade, and my son is twelve.
Speaker 1: How about you see that's well I'm a little further down the line.
Speaker 3: Well maybe I waited a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did. Two, I did too, id a long time in between. My oldest is twenty three, okay, and my youngest is thirteen.
Speaker 3: Oh wow yeah.
Speaker 1: But Scottish people are like, you know, there's big orchids in the jungle that just explode every ten years and everything around them gets pregnant. That's what Scottish people do. They have sex once every ten years. They have to go to their home planet like spot and then that's how they make So I have My boys are almost ten years apart, nine and a half years apart, which I think is it works for them. Like my wife always says, It's like you have a Kirk and a Spock, but you better have the Spock first, because if you have the Kirk first, you won't have any other. You gotta spoke then Kirk. And that's what we got you. They nerd to your wife's nerd.
Speaker 2: She's like to talk about, okaying, we have Star Wars wallpaper in our bathroom. That's a different star show.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've got two very unique, different kids. Although when they were younger, my son was on the taller side and people used to think they were twins, but not. And now my daughter is taller than I am, and my son just yesterday stood next to me and he's a tiny bit taller than I am. I think I knew at some point I was going to be looking up at them and pointing my finger saying it's time for bed.
Speaker 1: You get to bed.
Speaker 2: You have to behave yourself and don't smoke cigarette. And now my parents used to say make sure. My mom would say make sure you come home at eleven, but be real quiet because we're going to be asleep. I was like, mm, yeah, I'll be home at eleven, Yeah, I'll.
Speaker 1: Be I was. I came in at eleven. But you guys were asleep.
Speaker 3: You are sleeping, so you didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you are a wild kid. You are not wild.
Speaker 3: When I was not a wild I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was a very studious kid. I was a kid who had a million different things that I love to do.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was a dancer and an actor and a had I was a DJ on the radio, and I would I DJ parties. I'm carry in all these big creates of records. I did a lot of extracurriculars, acting in musical theater and theater and music. But I did I did you spain though? That was when DJ's put records on and then gave O private. It was like a soft cup but in the eighties, and like I'd play like a deep cut from Duran Duran, and we'd played like the Chauffeur instead of just Hungry like the Wolf, which we danced to with the dance troupe at the boys school. And I was right in the front row and my friends who were in bands with me were right in the front row at this boys school where we were dancing with our dance troupe from the girls' school to Hungry like the wolf wearing leotards and tatters and rags, and I thought, you know what, I can't be in the dance troup anymore doing these sexy dances at the boys' school.
Speaker 3: This is not I can't do this.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a recipe for disaster. It was just not girls from the girls school dance from the boys of the boys school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just it was I had to stop. I just had to focus on writing music and getting out of there. But I also, you know, I went to Spain one summer between what was it sophomore and junior year. I lived in Quenca. It was a little town called Quenca, a few hours outside of Madrid, and it had a famous museums called.
Speaker 3: Lassas call Godas, and.
Speaker 2: We lived with families and we legally drank beer and rode on the back of motorcycles, little scooters and motorcycles, and.
Speaker 3: It was so European. I was so European.
Speaker 2: So when I came back from Spain, I was way more European than I had been before I left for Spain. And my friends and I love to go see bands play and we would sneak out, and you know, I wasn't I wasn't getting caught. I wasn't terrible, but I wasn't getting caught either.
Speaker 1: Well, you grew up in Dallas, the right in Dallas, and do you see some pretty big acts coming through there? Oh yeah, you were a kid.
Speaker 3: We saw everybody.
Speaker 1: We saw it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know why, I keep thinking. I was thinking dire Straights. You know, the police goes to the machine tour we saw. I remember seeing Grace Jones at this place called the Start Club, and I also remember that might have been after high school.
Speaker 3: And then I remember seeing what's the band name used in me?
Speaker 2: Right round baby, right at the same place. You had to go see them at the Start Club, this club that we probably shouldn't have been in. We were probably underage, but we would sneak in. And it was the first time I was like, wait, there's no band. He's singing with the microphone and I can hear the music, but there's no musicians. And I realized that that is a track. He's singing to a track. But that was fun. But I saw so many bands play. Oh my gosh, it was amazing. I loved it.
Speaker 1: I did the low of that too. I saw everybody. Man, I saw a boy in the Little Tour. I saw Queen, I saw the four oh before before What Before a Night in the All Price. I saw them on the Sheer Heart type. I was like a young guy, I'm sixty two years old.
Speaker 2: I'm like a hard I'm close years old, that's so close. I was at Live Aid in London. I happened to be studying acting that summer in London at the National Youth Theater of Great Britain, making an American musical. I don't know why they had his doing an American musical, but anyway, I said, you know, there's this big show coming through called Live Aid.
Speaker 3: And I got a couple of friends with me to go on the tube.
Speaker 2: I'm so British now and to go to get We bought tickets and we went and we saw, we were there.
Speaker 3: We saw all of everybody, Bowie.
Speaker 2: And Thomas Dolby playing with Bowie, which not Thomas Dolby. Yeah, Thomas Dolby played with Bowie on that show. Which I saw was that she blinded me with science. That was right flat Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Wait, who else did you see? Who else did you see?
Speaker 1: I saw the Pistols, I saw the.
Speaker 5: Stranglers, so the damn the so the I mean like some yeah, I saw that's amazing with Lamy.
Speaker 1: Oh me, yeah, I saw Hope when with Lamy when I I think I was my first concert actually when I was thirteen. I saw Hope when when they were playing cellver Machine and they used to have a dancer called Stasia who is a lady who would dance with her and she would take her tollpof And we were thirteen year old boys and we would see Stacia dancing with her tollpoff.
Speaker 2: It was you loved music, you loved going to see music. I loved music like old boys of that age. I loved Stasia as well. She was I don't think that's allowed now. I think that would be frowned upon and modern. Well, it depends on who's doing it. So who's doing it, It depends on who. It depends on who decides to do it. You know, if the artist decides it may be different. I want to go see Billie Eilish yet last night with my daughter. Oh yeah, yeah, it was amazing. It was amazing. Actually I've never seen and I saw, you know, not to necessarily compare them, but they're two big arena shows. I saw Taylor Swift a few, you know in this last Eras tour, which was amazing and beautiful, and I saw I've seen Pink and it's amazing. But the lighting it was so unique. I've never seen anything like that. It's very intense. But she kept her clothes on, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, if she had decided not to, it probably also would have been okay.
Speaker 1: But she would have had to decide. I think that's good. Well, I think I don't know who who was deciding for anything. I think a lot of people when I saw Halt when when I was thirteen, I wasn't but I think a lot of people were on very powerful narcotics at that point in their lives, and their decision making process may have been impaired. The drugs were deciding, the drugs were decided. It's funny that it's a real I mean, quite seriously, though, it's a trap for young musicians, or used to be. It seems to be that young musicians now are a little more ambitious and work focused, career focused than they used to be. Is that true? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I think in some ways I think they are, and I think they understand this concept that they're going to have many jobs.
Speaker 1: It used to be.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was the same with you, you know, being in entertainment and comedy and acting and writing. You didn't want to say, like, oh, and I'm also I wor at this store, or I also created this idea, or I also teach or you know. Now kids do a lot of different things, Like they might be teaching and then they're in their band, or they might have a real job and then they also have an entertainment job, and it's not taboo. But I think back in those days, you wanted to do one thing, or you weren't serious.
Speaker 1: You know, you were a diletant, that's right, Yeah, you were a tourist if you were fully committed to it. I don't know, man, it seems such a funny thing because I came up being, you know, I was a drummer, so I always kind of thought that was going to be my life. I would just be in bands my whole life, and then I would probably die when I was twenty five, which I think if I stayed drumming that that's possibly.
Speaker 3: But wait, what kind of music were you playing?
Speaker 1: I was playing punk rock, music, okay, which was that genre.
Speaker 3: I've heard of that genre.
Speaker 1: It's a genre that was popular amongst the young folks when I was young, and it was very forgiving of the lifestyle I had at the time, so it fit right into my leisure activities to be amongst punk rock artists. It worked really well for me. But I don't think it has any real longevity about it, as I don't know if there are even punk rock bands around.
Speaker 2: But now they're like, yeah, the guys that I know who are in more of the kind of punky bands, it's more of a sound than a lifestyle. It's you know, it's more like the emotion and the sound. And some of the guys I know who are in the more punk bands, they are straight edge. They call it straight edge. You know, they're super sober, very pro sober. I am not straight edge. I just don't drink very much. I never get around to it, and I just am too busy. Every once in a while, I keep trying to drink champagne more and then I'm really tired the next day because I had champagne.
Speaker 1: And so that's fabulous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like it's not that's all my friends and I used to make up. When the new year came around, we tried to make some kind of a promise based on a rhyme with the number like in twenty twenty. Well it wasn't a rhyme, but I was like, in twenty twenty, I'm going to see people in person because like vision like twenty twenty. And then that was the year of the COVID, so like starting in nineteen ninety four. I remember my friend Amy and I said more in ninety four, which was like more drinking, and we just never got back around to it yet. That was the thirty years ago, twenty four. I tried twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Well five, let me drink until I'm not alive. Yeah, well then that might be too much.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of words and I don't want to do.
Speaker 1: But I remember once I bumped you in. I think it might have been even in Dallas airport, maybe Danver or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, if you were Denver maybe because maybe those great stores like Fudge.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking of Denver like this. They've got a really good airport with like bookstores and Fudge. I feel like last time I've been there. The last couple of times, they've been doing construction. But maybe that's the Atlanta or Atlanta. Was it Atlanta where you can get second Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember because you were walking through looking very romantic and clever, and your guitar was strapped to your back, and I was like, oh my god, look at that girls. She's so great. She kind of like just lives her fucking life, man. And I was so impressed by how you were just like traveling from one place and going to another place and living the vagabond life and playing music. I was very jealous. I'm very impressed at the same time because I think by then, you're.
Speaker 3: On your book tour. That's right, you're on your book tour.
Speaker 1: That's right. I was selling. I was selling a book, which you know, you got to write books. That's a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's hard to write books.
Speaker 2: I just read it, but it's not a long it's a children's book, but I'm waiting to hear back from a publisher.
Speaker 1: You go into that a little bit with the music as well, though, haven't you been doing like the recent thing with.
Speaker 2: Fin for twenty years or more? I have been making children's music. I can't believe it. I know somebody said she just got into children's music. It was in some Billboard thing, and I was like, well, it was cool to be in the company of John Legend who just made a children's record, a really beautiful children a great children's record. But I was like, I think I've been doing this for twenty years now. Let me see you.
Speaker 1: Never doing it before you had your own kids.
Speaker 2: Oh way before. I didn't even know about kids. I didn't. I wasn't really, it was, oh my gosh, twenty one years ago. I put out that record, the first kids record. I was asked by Barnes and Noble. It was like a cool opportunity, like a neat business thing. They said, well, you do a record that's different from your regular records, and we'll sell it exclusively at Barnes and Noble.
Speaker 3: And I thought that was great.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hard to sell things and how people know about them, and I thought that was great.
Speaker 1: I love books, bookstores.
Speaker 3: And so I made they.
Speaker 2: We ended up deciding to make a children's record as my thing that was different, And really it was because I'm a nostalgic person and I liked my childhood and I wanted to sort of live inside that world and make music like the kind of things we listened to, or I listened to when I was little. There was a lot of music that sounded like seventies soft pop and summer camp songs and grown up songs that you couldn't tell if they were for grown ups or kids, you know, like the like I'd watch this TV show Fernwood Tonight, or the Sonny and Share Show, things that were like funny and whimsical and.
Speaker 3: Weird, and the old Sesame Street.
Speaker 2: I wanted to make stuff like that, So I started making kids records, and I had Kids Day.
Speaker 1: A really great version of Big Rock Candy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my friend Liz, just like that was my first kids record. So my friend Liz I was produced the record. Elizabeth Mitchell. She was my freshman roommate. We had a band together for six years in college, like a regular band. We had a band in college and beyond, and then we went our separate directions and she was in a she is in it like an indie rock band. Her husband was in a punk band. And she also made kids music, very well known kids music, and she's so good at it. And I asked if she would make this record with me. So we made that first record together and she she you know, we did it at their studio, and she's so good at making songs like that.
Speaker 3: So that was the first kids record. But I had no that's a that's a weird.
Speaker 1: Song, Big Rock Candy Moon, because I always think that's laced with such terrible sadness and weirdness about it, you know, because it's like a hubu kind of you know, hopeful song about it. It's going to be all right, don't worry, you know.
Speaker 2: It's somebody's dog is going to die. Yeah, the fire will go out. But it's so sad. I love that. That that really longing sad, you know. Yeah, it's the dream and the sky like right before the person dies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you ever been to Scandinavia? Yes? Have you been to Stockholm?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: I have? Have you been to the Children's Museum in Stockholm?
Speaker 3: No, I have to go back.
Speaker 2: I went to go see The Titanic, the movie, and I came out I hadn't seen it. I saw it like two years after it came out in Stockholm. And we came out at like eleven at night and it was still light up still light.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wait, the children and Stockholm is one of the saddest places I have ever been in my life. It is so so traumatizing. Why they have a children's story in Sweden. I don't even want to talk about how sad it is, but it's basically about a couple of brothers who starved to death and how it's dreadful. But they're very fond of it in Sweden. And they've got a little train that takes you around all the puppets as I was going to all those puppets and little things, and then you go around and then at the end of everybody's dead. You're like, what hell is people? And then you talk to Swedish people like, oh, yeah, it's very beautiful museum, Like what's wrong with your people? He's dead? They're like, yes, it's odd, but you know, this is live.
Speaker 2: I think about Sweden a lot because that was the first place I was. We stated at a hotel called the Leidmar Hotel a couple of times and it was very it was very Scandinavian.
Speaker 3: It was like, you know, being at Ikia. They do that like a long time ago.
Speaker 2: And I remember I was like, you know what I like they had the king sized bed but with two separate coverless, two separate comforters, so you can have your own covers, you own.
Speaker 3: Space, and a king sized bed.
Speaker 1: I love that. I think that's because they are nude. Law Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe the snow like they go on the snow nude and then they do long distance that skiing. They were going to take me cross country skiing. They promised me blueberry soup. I never got it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, probably for the best. And I think that's what the people died of in the museum. They died of blueberry soup poisoning. But they have marvelous thighs because of their because of the cross country skating. And I felt short. I was short. I was.
Speaker 2: All the women now that I knew, were very tall, and the men were shorter. Yeah that is true over that, but handsome, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, short handsome men who you know, if they make it through childhood, lived a rifle d age.
Speaker 3: With nice thies. Yeah, beautiful thighs.
Speaker 2: I heard that on the Today Show. It's all about the thigh meat. That's what they said on the Today Show one summer. But the shorts were getting shorter for men then, and the guy. The stylist was like, it's all about the thigh meat this year. I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that a person would say.
Speaker 3: I know, it's awesome, unlike the Today Show it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I feel like that's an unusual choice of words to describe a human's legs. But well, you know what, thy me is fine. I work on my own fi me. But did you when you had your on kids so, did it changed the kid's music for you? Did? Because yes, you know, yeah, I thought it much. It changed a lot. It changed so much.
Speaker 2: Because I started off writing, I made a few a handful of records. I made the record with Liz, which had a lot of songs like Big Rock, Candy Mountain, and some original songs. And then I wasn't sure if I was making more kids music, but I just I was getting a lot of people asking me, what's your next kids record? And I made a summer camp songs record called Camp Lisa, which also inspired a kid's musical an off Broadway show. And I loved Summer Camp and we wrote all these songs, like the Disappointing Pancake that was inspired by on top of spaghetti like a long inanimate food object, adventure song, all these songs and I love them so much, and they had all these words. And then I made songs for moving and Shaken, which was also a book, and Silly Songs, which was also a book. And then I actually had kids who were old enough to talk, and they and I started playing more kids concerts, and it turned out kids don't really want to hear a lot of songs with a lot of words that they don't know. I was filling in the set with songs like the ABC's and Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star, and they were like grown ups. They were kind of like, finally something I know, Like finally something I can listen to and sing along to, Like all those other songs you're playing, they're just kidding. So I made like alphabet like I started making nursery rhymes and alphabet songs and things like that the kids actually wanted to hear.
Speaker 3: And then I decided to do it.
Speaker 1: I got to that with my kids when they might be giants, that those kids album Super Cool, which were Yeah, my kids listened to your stuff, and they listened to them they might be giants because I wouldn't let them listen to like regular really yeah.
Speaker 2: Clankety plunk, Yeah, you listen to the real music's yeah, unless it's on, unless it's like hilariously on purpose. But yeah, my kids listened to you know, they loved. My son would cry. It's either my son or my daughter would cry if I didn't play them September by Earth Wind and Fire if I changed the station now like put it back on. You know, they wanted to hear real.
Speaker 1: My youngest was like that about Atmospheres by Joy Division, So yeah, you're like, really okay.
Speaker 7: And also, if you could turn back time to the good dog Chase, who's that? When mom must say it's they loved uh?
Speaker 2: And food Fighters and uh, you know all right, I thought you were saying, if I could turn back.
Speaker 3: I'm listening to shares autobiography right now.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Which did she read her autobiography?
Speaker 2: She does the entrances. I'm not going to read this. I've got she she had dyslexia. She said, I'm not going to I can't do a Share voice. But she said she wasn't going to read it. And she has other people. And then I'm a little confused because one of the people who's reading it has a very slow reading of her book, so I speed it up because I'm like, I can't wait for the pauses. And the other person is either Share or what I thought it was was the woman who played Share in the movie who sounds like Share. Remember there was like a Share biopic at some point a long time ago, and this woman sounds like Share or it is Sharon.
Speaker 3: I was confused. I thought Cher said she wasn't going to read it herself.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that's the thing about Share though. She I mean, she's Ziggs when we zag. She may have said I'm not going to read it, She's going to read it, but she shared she can do what she wants. You ever met Sha, I have, and I cried.
Speaker 2: I met both two of my childhood, childhood people that I loved so much, my childhood music heroes. I met Cher and Olivia Newton John the same day at a music festival, and I just the teer, I like, I have a tear in my I was I.
Speaker 3: Can't believe it. I couldn't believe it. Share was so cool.
Speaker 2: She had such crazy outfits, and she did a cover of Jimmy Hendricks Heye Joe and her outfits. When I was a kid, we dressed our barbies up as Sunny and Share, especially Share and Alton John.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because these Have.
Speaker 3: You met her before?
Speaker 1: Have you spoken to her to share? Yeah? Yeah, I met Scher once years and years ago. I was doing this dumb music show in the UK and I was hosting it, and for some reason, she agreed to do this little sit down interview thing. I could barely speak because you know, I'd never this before. I did Late Night. I mean, but the thing I did Late Night, I was so jaded. Not may everybody, it didn't matter, but this was I was like, I think it was like twenty seven or something, and I met Sher and she was she was very very kind. That's the only thing I remember that she was like. She was helpful, and I think I think it was because I so non threatening of an individual. She was very kind and very patient and helped the interview happen. But I don't know where that interview is now or where it was, but she was I just remember being really lovely and gracious.
Speaker 2: What was that like though, in the nineties, Like that was in the nineties, right or late eighties, nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it would be early nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the nineties, I felt like there was a lot of coolness from the journalists and the TV people, you know, trying to be cool like cool music people. True, So how did that feel from your end being an interviewer back then? Like I feel like when you were a late night talk show host, you have a sense of humor and you can kind of nudge people and because you have a funny and you can joke around with them and give them a hard time, but it's kind. You know, it's kind. You're doing it to be kind and funny. But back then, when you're interviewing at people and you're a music person, we're trying to be cool. Like how did that work? Especially when you meet somebody that you're a fan of, like trying to be cool but also doing your job but also trying not to be too into anything because you're.
Speaker 3: Cool, Like, how did that feel?
Speaker 1: It's a youth thing. It's funny. I talked to you know, the film critic Ao Scott at New York Times, So I've talked to him about that because he used to say when he was young, if he saw a bad movie when he was young, he would take it as a personal affront, like he would get so angry if he saw a bad movie and he looks back on it now and think, hell was wrong with me. And I feel a little bit like that about my attitude back then when I was when I was younger, that I thought I was so I don't know, important, or or I was very It's not that I was aggressive with anyone, because I wasn't. But I think I thought I was cooler than everybody else. And now I think by the time you get to about mid thirties, you realize you're nowhere near as cool as many of the people you talk And then when you but the time you have your own children, do you really cool at all?
Speaker 2: And then after that you're just like, Oh, you don't care.
Speaker 3: You just don't. It's not it's not a concern, it's not on your mind.
Speaker 1: It really isn't. It kind of becomes something else. I think it becomes about I have a very good friend who has a similar art and a similar job to you. Do you know Katie Tonstall? Oh? Yeah, she's great, right. So Katie and I have very good friends. And I watched Katie sometimes play, and I just love to watch her play. I just love to watch her like, yeah, lose herself in the thing. And I feel the same way about actors that I enjoy, or actors and musicians or even or comedians or painters. Even if you look at a painting and you can kind of forget about who's doing it and just enjoy what it is. Yeah, I think that's fabulous. I think that the art becomes more important than the art to me as I get older. It's like just the actual the sensation of it, particularly now as well if it's live. Oh yeah, I'm very analogue friendly now, I don't. I keep saying that my kids put the phone down. Put the phone down. Put the phone down, because let's allow your memory to remember it rather than the phone. Yeah, you know, why would you trust your the phone will remember it properly? But that's not the best way to remember things. Sometimes maybe it's better to remember them through the haze of you know, something else, like actually human memory, yeah, rather than I need a little bit of both though, because like I've been recently going through all my old photo albums and finally starting to have them digitized, you know, so that I can easily also now because with social media and connecting with fans.
Speaker 3: It's a fun and.
Speaker 2: Easy way to to you know, have things to talk about and share memories. It's fun to say like, oh my gosh, I m to share look at this picture. This is so cool. But but at this and like last night at the at the Billie Eilish concert, it was it was stunning visually, it was stunning, and also her voice and the music even they had so much bass and some of the songs you could feel your body rattling in this in this big arena, you know, and a lot of people have their phones out to try to capture the pictures and uh on money, and I wanted to capture it. Back then, I was like why I did exactly what you said. I just sat and I just took it in but here. But finally, at one point I did take a picture because it was sweet. It was she brought her brother Phineas up for a couple of songs and it was just so sweet, like the two siblings and the mom I know was sitting across the arena and I was like, this is so sweet. I want to remember at all that I was there, because I will go through my phone and find photos.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my gosh, that's right, that happened.
Speaker 1: But you're right.
Speaker 2: Also, I spend the majority of my time either stressed about my kids being on devices or I get there's a million things that are interesting on the phone. But also I'm like, I am, I'm letting their brains rot, Like I'm not what's going on. They need to sit and they think this is stand in line and look at the post office for a while, or you know, one of those things.
Speaker 1: It's funny though, I mean, I think one of the weird things about being the parent of children that are getting order is you start to worry about someone else's use of phones, or someone else's drug and take or someone else's alcohol youth. It's like, I've worried about my own, you know, kind of adult behavior since since I was a kid. But now you have to worry about you know, you know, everything has phantdoel in it. Ohll that's really scary. Oh my god, I don't remember when you were a kid.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing that's strange is like seeing, you know, my daughter get to an age that I remember I was a person when I was fourteen fifteen, I was a person and I'm still really good friends with my friends from that age group, Like, we're still really really good friends. So if I don't remember something, my friend will tell me, like we still remember conversations we had when we were fourteen, fifteen, sixteen. It's do you remember yourself when you were that age, Like, do you remember being I do?
Speaker 1: I do. I mean, I don't remember it very fondly. I mean, it wasn't. It wasn't the happiest time in my life. My early adult life was not something I look back on with the particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read your book. I read your book. Yeah you did, Yeah I did. Now that i'm thinking about it, I did read it, of course I did.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read it again.
Speaker 2: Did you read it? Can I get it on autio? I did read it, and you tell me it again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did you read your book?
Speaker 3: My book?
Speaker 2: My book is not out yet. I've got two books that are just read it. It's short, hopefully it'll be out, and I don't even know if it'll be. It's a kid's book, so it'll be short.
Speaker 1: But well, well you write, I know it's a biography. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about it at some point, but I'm so private. I don't, you know, one of myself. I've got siblings, they don't I don't need to tell their stories. But at one point I was thinking of telling a story through food and eating and food.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: So that's a pretty nice That's a nice way of doing it because people connect in November. Things like that, Yeah, a good way. Like if I was doing the autobiography now, I look back on it. Weirdly enough, I kind of looked at it fairly recently, the one I wrote when we met on the Bookdore, which is about ten years ago, so I'm saying more. And I looked at it recently. Someone that i'd brought it to a show for me signed and I kind of looked at a couple of pages and I was like, I don't know if I would put it like that now. I don't know if I would be quite so unguarded about that now, because I don't know. I feel like information you have to be more careful about it now. You don't feel it can be you know, I don't know. I just don't, especially about other people. I would talk about other people as much. I think that's unfair, you know.
Speaker 2: I know I wanted to do a TV show or even well, I guess it would be perfect for a YouTube thing. I had the idea before YouTube was really a thing. But I meet so many really interesting musicians who are in other people's bands, you know, who play in these amazing bands, and I thought it'd be so cool to have these guys, you know, talk to them and talk to them about their experiences and just they have crazy stories. But then I was like, but they're not exactly their stories to tell, you know, But I don't know, I don't know how that works. Like I was reading Barbara Streisand's book I had. I was listening to it. I've listened to about, I don't know, fifteen hours of it. It's like a forty hour book, right, And then I realized she was going so in depth on all the movies that she directed or that she had been a part of, and I realized I needed to go back and watch some of those movies. If she's going to go, you know, go that in depth. I want to be able to know what she's talking about and also not have a spoiler. But anyway, she talks about people, a lot of people, and you know, she's like completely honest. Also, Henry Winkler, I just read his autobiography.
Speaker 1: Oh he's the greatest, and I listened to him.
Speaker 3: I listened to him. Yeah, I met him once. I was very excited about that.
Speaker 1: Oh he's the nicest, nicest man. He is. What a diamond. I mean, people still say to Henry, you know he Fansie, which is like fifty years ago, and he'll still he'll still go a and be nice to.
Speaker 2: Hear him tell that story about his I didn't know he was a Juilliard trained actor, you know, I didn't. I just liked him, and you know, he was this guy from Fansie. He was FANSI But but yeah, to watch his career, to hear about his ups and downs and and and for him to still have that kindness but still have an edge. He has an edge. Not he's not like an edgy guy, like he's not going to be mean to you on an airplane, but like he's smart.
Speaker 1: He's very smart and very very quick mind and a lovely man. He I remember when we had to send something over to his house when we were doing late night. We had to send some form over to his house for some firm to sign and we sent a pa over and the PA came back after be over and he said, Winkler gave me a sandwich. He said, got to the house and his family we're all having sandwiches, and he said, come on in and have a sandwich. And they gave the shift a sandwich next to him. And it's always kind of stuck with me. It was like, there's absolutely nothing in it for Henry Winkler to gave a pa sandwich. But they had some sandwiches and they were nice. But I just know it just seemed very nice. I love that. I've always liked Henry. I always thought he was such a lovely man. But your is an interesting point with Henry, because Henry had a very specific, huge entry into his career. Yes, when when he did the Phonsie and you had that must be thirty years years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kidding me, since that song there is really nineteen ninety four, I know, but it was a huge krind.
Speaker 1: It must have been a huge gear shift for you for being you know, you're a young girl at that a young woman, you're like Baily mid twenties and then suddenly twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was you know, it didn't feel if. On one hand, it felt like a big change because it was I mean, having a song on the radio, will you hear your you know, hearing your music come through the radio with those DJs, you know, with the compression on their voice like.
Speaker 3: Lis Alone blahah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And also being in the context of other people you think of as being pop stars, you know, Mariah Carey and I don't know, I always did I'm writing carry and I was a singer songwriter in New York with a band and we'd play. But I don't know if you had the same thing. But I had been working on it for so long, you know, I felt like I had been I'd been writing songs since I was a little kid. I'd been writing like real songs since I was in eighth grade or ninth grade. And then I started writing on guitar and I'd play my songs in assembly. And then my friend and I had that band in college, my friend Liz Mitchell, and we had a great following and we recorded our music and there were some record companies getting interested in college, and so it was like step by step by step, you know, going along to get to the place where the song ended up on the radio. In retrospect, it was a huge thing in retrospect, like the fact that Ethan Hawk, you know, passed the song along and they actually put it in the movie.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's rare when things actually happen, I know. And and then it actually got played on the radio, and then we actually made a music video and it actually became popular, and that it's amazing playing that, Yeah, I do. I mean, I there's a lot of other songs like that.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I played. I went on tour.
Speaker 2: I did a few weeks with Lyle Lovett recently, like in May, and we did the thing where we both sit on stage and we talk and we hang out and then we play music, kind of like if we both just took a guitar out and started playing a song. But one of the shows and you never had a set list, he'd play a song and talk and we'd talk and I'd play a song. And I had a list of songs that I wanted to remember to play because I'll just forget song.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I need some reminders.
Speaker 2: I got a call from the promoter the next day saying that they were disappointed I hadn't played my song Stay. I played like nine songs that night. I totally forgot, like, there's so many other songs that I could play it. Yeah, but I do love playing it because people want to hear it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't dislike it.
Speaker 2: I like it, and it definitely is a regular kind of one of my songs. It's not some people get hit songs that are really outside of what they want to play, and they're like, oh, I can't believe I have to play that song. I don't mind playing it. I like it, And because now it has so much history attached to it and people have a really nostalgic feeling about it, I enjoy playing it. That's really It's amazing to be in that circle of me singing a ton of people singing with me.
Speaker 3: On that song.
Speaker 2: But it's not like my favorite song to sing. But I'm also happy to do it.
Speaker 1: I think also it's a sign of maturity and an artist when you make peace with early success. You know, I remember, you know, circling back to you know what I told you when I worked with Mike Jagger years ago. But you know they were singing, you know, Sympathy for the Devil and satisfaction and these songs were, you know, thirty years old at that pointeh, you know. And and I said, you ever get sick of playing them? And he went, now, because you when when you go out, it's magical. I'm happy that it has become part of, you know, everything we did. And I I kind of love that he said, But there was a time when I didn't want to sing it, you know. And I think that that's you feel like you have to escape who you were before so that you don't get caught, right, you know. But I think that then you realize you're not caught. It's just who you were then and who you were then it's part of who you are now.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you have to do it all basically because you have to feed your own soul and feed yourself. It's funny I was talking to I was at this event yesterday for an organization called Best Buddies, and Nikky six from Motley Crue was there. We were talking and I was like, oh, I got to get back together with this guy, like we really I hadn't met him before, but we had a really nice conversation and part of it was about this kind of thing, you know, about writing music and how hard it is, and how writing songs and lyrics and music it's so hard, but we still love doing it and continuing to try to get better at it. And but and how funny it is, how how much pressure you put on yourself to like write new songs. But when you go play these concerts, people just want to hear what they know. You know, even as musicians ourselves were like, oh no, you know, don't play a news song.
Speaker 1: Oh got it?
Speaker 2: Like people are getting You're most excited as a musician to play those songs, and then the audience is going to get beer. And so you have to be really tricky the way you put the songs in. And on one hand, it's kind of like a like a backup plan, like or this case scenario, I play all the songs that people already know, even though it's like from twenty five thirty years ago, or even some of the songs I wrote in the eighties, and I put them on my records and people still want to hear them.
Speaker 3: And that's that's fine.
Speaker 2: I want to know that I'm the same way with a lot of my favorite artists, So I just I appreciate that. But then also you're like, but I also want to play some of these new songs and hopefully you'll like them too.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's an interesting because it's kind of the poller opposite of what you've experienced as a stand up comedian. I really, I really wish I could do that joke again because now I could do much better.
Speaker 2: And I know, like, like, I have a question about that well now, especially with cell phones, it's such a drag. Like I again talking about Lyle Lovett. I opened for him twenty five years ago and I saw him tell these stories and I realized what a craft that was and it's and I had this thing in my head like I can never say the same thing. I can never set up a song the same way. Everything always has to be different. And I remember dwezel Zappa would say, you know, his dad never played the same show and all the solos were different. And I thought, you know, I don't solo in my music. I just play songs. But my soloing is my talking, like my banter, and it's not going to be different. But then I started realizing to create a story is so fun. But then when you see the same people right in the audience, and you finally figured out how to ride the audience in the waves of the story and embellish it or whatever, and there's the same people right in front or they videotape it. You're like, like, how do you deal with that? As a comedian? I think people want to hear that story. They want to hear that.
Speaker 1: You can tell this. I feel like you can tell the same story until it's being televised, until it's on a special, or until it's until it's on the internet. Then you can't do it again. And that's what I that's my personal belief about it is that once I've told it and it's been out there, which is annoying because it's almost like if you recorded the song and you can never play it, last terrible because you will.
Speaker 2: You get there and you get to that place where you're like saying something that's just off the cuff, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Ah, but it's so good.
Speaker 1: And that's that's what's super straining about it, because I look at material that this is a stand up paying fifty twenty years ago and go, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Could really make that work a little bear now that was actually a very good idea, but I didn't do it properly, and I would like to do it properly now, but you kind of can't because people know what's coming, and that ruins that, that ruins what it is.
Speaker 2: It takes the melody away if they understand what it is. Just just do it for people like over fifty five. They will not remember.
Speaker 3: They will not they won't remember, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I say this all the time because I keep thinking of this as the example. But like, I met Barry Manilow at an event and I was so excited and I got my picture taken with them, and I love the song Mandy, and I just gushed and I was so excited. And then I was going through my photo albums, you know, a couple months later, and there I was the first time I met Barry Manilo for the first time in another photo from you know, fifteen years ago. I had no recollection and it was important to me. You know, it's weird to have something very similar.
Speaker 1: I had this thing. Do you have you ever seen the documentary Becoming spok.
Speaker 2: I should be anyway, Yeah, he was, Actually I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I watched it. It was made by his son.
Speaker 2: I think it's a beautiful though screening even I don't know it's a gardeless stone.
Speaker 1: But I watched it, and then afterwards I said to my wife, Gosh, what a lovely man. I really wish I'd had him on the Late Night show. And we looked up and he was on twice a thing.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: That's that's why it's good to have friends around.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: My friend Amy's like, remember that time we were in that limo with Adam Sandler. He gave us a ride and I was like, what tell me about that?
Speaker 3: What happened then?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I remember Paul Rudd was talking to you. I'm like, he was what did he say? Like what happened?
Speaker 1: But that's the weird is, especially when I look at like Late Night, I was like, ten years I did that show, and people will like, I'll see footage from that, like I am zero recollection of that conversation or even that evening and I'm right there and it's me talking and I'm like, I honestly don't remember. You know. It's a little weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do an interview. I have a radio show, a daily radio show on Sirius XM nineties on nine and One of the things I added to it was called Where They Are Now? And it's an interview segment where I talk to people who you might know from the nineties but they're still doing things today.
Speaker 3: And I was inspired by spinal Tap, you know.
Speaker 2: And they're all sitting around the radio and their old song comes on the radio. It might be like give me some money or cups and cakes or something, and they're all sitting around and they're all like enjoying it. Exter on tour, it's so cool to hear their old song. The DJ comes on and from the Where Are They Now files, like I wonder if they're so alive, you know, And they're just like on a tour promoting a current project.
Speaker 3: And that happens, you know, when you travel.
Speaker 2: You might sit next to somebody they're like, so are you still didn't you used to be a musician? You're like, I guess something like you're checking into a hotel and your name is on the marquee across the street, and then the young gals like, didn't you used to be a musician? You're like, yeah, I still am, And there's my name right there over on the marquee right like I'm going with my guitar.
Speaker 1: You're at the airport.
Speaker 3: I'm going with my guitar to you know, Wisconsin, because I'm plying.
Speaker 1: A show there.
Speaker 3: They're like, oh, that's so great. Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so I started a radio show thing called where They Are Now, which is a take on where Are They Now? And because it's a kinder way of saying, yes, I know you're I know you from a certain material from the nineties probably, but same, we play some reruns and they're like, yeah, this week you're rerunning your interview with so and so, and I'm like, why did I talk to I got to talk to boys to men. That's so cool and it's right there in the hard drive. I had a great conversation with them, no recollection. I researched them for hours.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what's going to happen to us now. Because we're done.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to remember speaking.
Speaker 2: I remember I didn't stop eating fudge at the airport.
Speaker 6: And fudge Colorado and Dan for famous for its fudge at the airport in the airport, Lisa, it's a delight to see.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that it's been so long, and very good luck with the children's book. I hope it comes out. Yeah, I hope it comes out. I have a feeling that will work out fine. Yeah, you're delightful and please keep doing your Thanks for being sure.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I hope to see you at Nelson's. Bring your coupon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know me. Scoutition, good day.
Speaker 3: Thank you
Speaker 7: At two paper for two po