Speaker 1: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah Hiles, joining me as always on my coast Josh Harrison and Platinum, Kyak and Mark. It is Friday, July thirty. First, the trade deadline is approaching. The Pirates are in the midst.
Speaker 1: Of a tough week.
Speaker 2: We don't know what happened Thursday evening in Cincinnati because we're recording this Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 1: So the latest tist on our mouths.
Speaker 2: As far as Pirates Baseball is concerned, is them finishing off a home stand, their biggest home stand of the season, where they went two and four, lost a pair of series in a row to the Cubs and the Diamondbacks, two teams ahead of.
Speaker 1: Them in the wildcard standings.
Speaker 2: A big reason for those losses wasn't on the pitchings end this time, it was the offense. The offense failed to get going despite having an overall pretty good week of starting pitching support them. So we're gonna talk about the offense and you know how they got to get going. Paul Skens is on the mound Friday when this show comes out, he will look to bounce back from his only really underwhelming start since July. Arrive really or at least the half part of July at the back half part of July, and then we will round out this week's show as always with Jay Hay now our weekly Friday segment.
Speaker 1: But guys, yeah, the Pirates again.
Speaker 2: They could have easily scored ten runs Thursday night in Cincinnati, and if they did, they'll make this segment look silly. But overall, regardless of what happens Thursday night, I still think that Homestand is going to be on the mines of a lot of fans, a lot of people covering this team, following this team, because the Pirates had a really big opportunity to gain some ground on teams ahead of them.
Speaker 1: Instead, they fell further back.
Speaker 2: And a lot of these games were winnable. You got a good start from Mitch Keller, you got a good start from Jared Jones. I mean every game they were in it and they couldn't get going. They did not have a really good showing offensively against any starting pitching aside from Jamison tywn in that Homestand, and Jamis and Tyrone got DFA the next day. So of the five other starters that they saw who are still actively with their club, those guys.
Speaker 1: Shut the Pirates down.
Speaker 2: And three of those pitchers were left handers, which we'll talk about later in the show, but they weren't all left handers, and some of those guys just haven't had good seasons. So let's talk about it. The Pirates offense had a really bad week mark I'll start with you. Are you concerned or is that just kind of like a frustrating thing where we've seen that in the past, where I think back to the homestand against the Marlins where they just didn't score a lot of runs that one weekend and then they turned it around and came back. Is that what we're seeing now or do you think that maybe the offense is running out of gas a little bit?
Speaker 3: No, I think it's just a weird collective slump. In the last seven days, there's only two Pirates players who haven't ps over eight hundred, Brandon Low and Sean Ross, who is no longer with the Pirates, So it's just everyone across the board is slumping right now and it's been frustrating. But I don't think I think we've seen enough from this offense throughout this whole year. I'm not gonna hit the panic button quite yet, but at the same time, it's been frustrating to watch. It's been concerning. It just feels like they can't get anything going and that confidence that you have. Yeah, we saw like the comebacks, but they just haven't been able to start early. It feels like like a first inning run. I can't remember the last time we've seen them score and play with the lead, So they've just been constantly chasing, trying to come back. Not a great way to hit, honestly, but hitting is contagious. I'm hoping that, you know, maybe a series against Cincinnati in Cincinnati smaller ballpark, maybe that's what they need to wake up a little bit and pick up right where they left off before this home stand.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Josh, Yeah, obviously, you know you look at this home stand and you saw a lot of opportunity out there, missed opportunity. But given where this offense has been, you know to this point of the season, I, as you mentioned, Mark Dot, need to panic. It's just one of those stretches. It's just an unfortunate time to be going through the stretch. But more than anything, as you mentioned, going to Cincinnati Division opponent, a smaller ballpark, a team that you know hasn't necessarily played as well. You know, these are teams that you want to go into and not count anybody out. But this is where you can, you know, go and try to get a little bit of that confidence back, because you know, having those opportunities that you miss, you know, obviously leaves a sour taste in your mouth. But you know that's the beautiful game about this game is you're gonna be presented with that opportunity again, and you know, the Pirates are right in the thick of it, and you know, obviously frustrating, you know, from winning the first game against Arizona's been dropping the next two. You know, with a team that you're literally neck and neck with, you know, obviously, those those are losses that are gonna stick with you, especially at this point of the season. But you would hope that these bats, you know, turn it around, because they've been you know, top offense thus far throughout the season, so no reason to you know, hit the panic button. But at the same time, you know, winnable games, you know, we we've had this saying enough winnable games. And you know, for one, this wasn't on the bullpen, you know, or the starting staff.
Speaker 5: So you know that those kind of stick.
Speaker 4: With you, you know, because like dang, all you can ask for is your pitching staff to keep you in these games. And when the pitching staff is doing their job, you know, more than likely with an offense like this, you know you you'd be looking pretty but you know, right now things just aren't clicking as a whole. But hopefully the Cincinnati series gets them back to you know, that swagger that you know, that confidence of a right here we go, guys, pitching has been doing what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Let's let's join them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think there's a ton to worry about here, right, I mean, this just happens.
Speaker 1: This happens.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen to teams for one to two weeks, regardless of how good you are. It happens to the Dodgers, it happens to the Yankees. It just happens, and I mean it. It is tough though when you're seeing it happen in such important games, like the timing of it was poor.
Speaker 1: But on the flip side.
Speaker 2: Their offense was clicking on all cylinders right before the All Star break, and those were some very important games too. When they had that six game homestand against the Braves in the Brewers, they were scoring runs, they were getting the job done. So you know, it comes and it goes, and that's just how it is. And for the most part it's been fine. I think my only concern.
Speaker 1: About it would be two things.
Speaker 2: One, I mean, as Merlin Valdes is the league is adjusting to him. I'm not sitting here saying that anyone should be panicking. I mean, he had another home run on Sunday, which was you know, earlier this week, so but it's just something where it's he's not gonna bat three point fifty and hit thirty home runs this year probably and that is okay.
Speaker 1: He is a rookie. He shouldn't be expected to do that.
Speaker 2: But that was the firepower that had their offense at that next level while they were without Spencer Horwitz and O'Neal Cruz. The good news is those guys are gonna be back soon, probably within the next couple of weeks, both of them, and if they can pick it up where they left off.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be okay if guys like I mean.
Speaker 2: Brandon Law was struggling entering this week and then he's had a really good week. Ryan Reynolds had a big home run in this last Arizona series. If he can get going in the second half, that will be massive for them. They have too many guys for I think this thing to fail collectively. My only concern would just be how much of that failure was just not hitting the ball where they weren't, versus how much of that failure was getting out game planned, versus how much of that was them getting in their own way?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Those were big games, and did they maybe maybe put too much pressure on themselves. I can't answer that. No one can except for that only Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say only they can, but yeah, sometimes can't, right, Yeah, you know, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: They might be able to answer that way down the road. But Josh, you know when you were playing in twenty eighteen or the moment, Yeah, you're in the moment, You're like, what do you mean? Yeah, every game matters to me. You know, that's not how you're thinking. But then I think, yeah, as the season goes on, you can maybe look back and be like, yeah, I think we were pressing a little too much, and I'm not saying that that is the case, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got it interesting that Yeah, I gots sat right here. They have only drawn thirteen walks in the last seven days. They've struck out forty four times in that stretch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right there.
Speaker 4: As pressing or not being patient or as you say, being out gained what you know, hitters meaning.
Speaker 5: Are you talking about working counts? Are you you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But at the same time, injuries, guys popping in and at the same time, you don't want to say pressure, but you also know this time of year things get magnified a little bit around trade deadline because oh man, we got to win these games to make our you know, if we want to you know, not saying guys are pressing, but as you said, Noah, in the battle of the moment, you might not realize it, but just you know, all right, and there you go, thirteen walks as opposed to forty something strikeouts.
Speaker 5: That that right there is not going to get it done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's part of it, and it's learning how to play like this and for a lot of guys on this team. This is the first time they played in a big game, in a big series like this.
Speaker 1: So we are going to.
Speaker 2: Take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to talk about Paul Skeins. He pitches Friday.
Speaker 1: We're going to break it down down here on Bucco Territory.
Speaker 6: Big second half of the season coming up. There might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience. They need to get your hands on and Seki the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good. And they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 7: Why would you not use see geek if you want a view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app. It's easy to use. It's one click boom. You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game, whatever you're a fan of, if you can go to whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sekk.
Speaker 6: And for MLB tickets you can get ten percent off with that promo codever running all season long. Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: All right, Paul Skeen's back on the bump on Friday. The last time we saw him was over the prior weekend against the Chicago Cubs. He looked really good to start, look like they caught up to him the second or third time through, and then the moment he left the game went to hell. Overall, I still think Skeens is trending in the right direction. The start against the Cubs was a little concerning, considering a he typically pitches very well against the Chicago Cubs, and B the velocity was down again and it's it was dipping again, and probably dipping more so than we've seen it at any other time this month.
Speaker 1: So Mark, again, I'll start with you, what are you looking to see from him. Do you need to see seven to feel good from Skins this weekend.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see that, obviously. I don't know if you need it, but the Pirates are going to be They're starting Johann Ramier's Thursday before, prior to or after we're recording, so it sounds like a bullpen game going into Skeens start Friday. Yeah, that's that's what you need from him this he's the team's ace. He's the best pitcher on this roster. You gotta have him pitch like it and the velocity dipping. He doesn't seem concerned about it at all. I am starting to get to a point where he sat ninety five point six in his last start, was the average, and that at a certain point you get a little concerned. I don't know if he's fatigued. I don't know if it's just that's what he wanted to do that day, but it is. I'm starting to get to the point where that's a level of a little bit of concern for me. But also that Cup start, he got unlucky, a lot of just like bloop singles. It felt like a lot of weak contact that found grass and that'll be baseball. But at the same time, you just need Paul Schemes to be better. So yeah, against the Cincinnati Reds, you need him to step up and dominate. And it would be awesome, especially for this team with coming off that series in Arizona. Uh, just a shot of arm, a shot in the arm of momentum of you know, belief in this team. Be like, yeah, oh yeah, we do have one of the best pitchers in baseball and he's going out there and shoving for us every five days. We can win this thing, we can make the playoffs. So I just want to see him in. Still a little bit of confidence in this team, but easier said than done. Joshua, are your your thoughts.
Speaker 8: On Schemes here?
Speaker 3: Looking to bounce back against the Reds.
Speaker 4: You need your ace to be your ace, be a stopper, yep, especially especially in moments like this where Sam is you know, not had success that they wanted to pass, you know, week or so.
Speaker 5: You need your ace to be your guy.
Speaker 4: And regardless of you know, losing you know v Low here or there. This is the beauty of baseball, especially guys in his position.
Speaker 5: He's a pitcher.
Speaker 4: This is where you learn to pitch and not saying that learns to pitch. But you know I can remember, you know, just a small story Tyler Glass.
Speaker 5: Now I remember Triple A.
Speaker 4: I think I was rehad the one game, and you know, at one point he kept looking back at the you know, velocity.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't saying ninety eight ninety nine.
Speaker 4: You know, his fastball was like ninety three ninety four, And I'm like, you do realize, like you're not always going to have that ninety nine in a tank, But what you can learn is to pitch with what you have.
Speaker 5: And you know that was from playing with guys at you know a J.
Speaker 4: Burnett, you know that used to throw a hundred who ended up pitching at ninety two ninety four. You're not going to have that in the tank every day, but you know, real pitchers know how to get out. And what you'll see with Paul, as you mentioned, still having success not throwing his herd because he knows how to pitch and tone of his pitchers. So with that being said, he knows he doesn't I don't want to say he knows he doesn't have his velocity, because only he knows what's really going on. Whether it's fatigue or something mechanical. A lot of things can be going on. But one thing that I know is he's a competitor. He's a pitcher, and he still knows how to put the ball where he wants and at the end of the day, that's the name of the game on the mound. So I have no doubt that you know, he's every fifth day, it's like, you know, whether I got the vlo or not, I put pitches where I need to.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna get the outs.
Speaker 4: And as I said, you need your ace to be a ace Friday, whether he's throwing one hundred or ninety six, yea, do what you do.
Speaker 5: Get your outs and pitch.
Speaker 4: And I expect Paul to do what he does because I mean, as you said, he's still trending up or just might not be what we've seen in the past. But that's part of baseball, that's part of the wear and tear of you know, you got to make adjustments, and he's going through an adjustment period that most people probably didn't think he would have to. But everybody has to go through this adjustment period.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's time, that's all it is. It's time. It's time to be the ace like you. For as good as he.
Speaker 2: Looked in those three starts prior to the Cubs one where they won three in a row, he got crazy run support in all three of those games. I mean, the first one was when O'Hearn went nuclear and drove in ten runs himself. The last or the second one was right before the All Star break where they were up by ten runs by like the third or fourth inning. And then in Cleveland, not only did they put a whole bunch of runs up on the board, they also made a lot of big defensive plays, or maybe the Guardians just made a lot of stupid plays on the bases.
Speaker 1: I think they made four.
Speaker 2: Outs on the base, so right, And you know, he had the most ideal situations. And I'm not taking away from his production in those starts because he did his job too. But now the offense is struggling, so it's time for Paul Skeins to return the favor. They've given him crazy run.
Speaker 1: Support in three of his last four outings.
Speaker 2: His last outing, the one against the Cubs, they didn't score a run from him for him, and he kept them toe for tow for a little bit. But you're the ace. If that other guy has a zero, you need to match that zero.
Speaker 1: That's how this works.
Speaker 2: When you the ace, when you're the cy young, when you're the best pitcher on a pitching staff and on a team that's trying to make the playoffs, sometimes you got to put the team on your back. We just haven't seen Paul do that a ton this year, and this is the time to do it against a team that you typically always pitch very well against in a ballpark where you have pretty good numbers despite it being a hitter's part.
Speaker 1: This is the time. This is the time for Paul Schemes to carry the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Speaker 2: And if it's not now, then when is it gonna be. Is it gonna be your next start in Milwaukee? Is it gonna be in August and September? Or is it just not gonna be your year? Because if it's not his year, this teammate't make in the playoffs. It's got to start now. So that's all I got, unless you guys have anything to add. Nope, all right, we're gonna take another break. When we come back, we'll round it out with Jay hay now here on Bucco Territory.
Speaker 9: There is one place to be on trade deadline day watching Foul Territory.
Speaker 5: Of course. A. J.
Speaker 9: Perdinski, Eric Kratz, and Scott Brown will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves, and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm e T and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday, Foul Territory Network, It's baseball the way it should be covered.
Speaker 8: All right, and now our j hay Now segment, what do you say?
Speaker 4: All right, here we go, Jay Hay Now, this segment is just gonna be I'm gonna be straight to the point. Deadline is Monday just didn't have that grade of a you know, offensive showing, especially against lefties. My segment is, hey, we we've seen a little bit of struggles this past week. Nothing to be too panicked about with this offense, but we've hit on how adding you know, a potential bat may help, especially facing lefties. You've tried it internally and nothing against those guys, but if you're really trying to make a push and you really want to better this team and give it an opportunity, you got to go.
Speaker 5: Get some help.
Speaker 4: And as I said this, this past home stand, you tried things internally, nothing against those young guys, but you know this team is in a position to you know, make a wild card and you you you need to shore up some things. And if this pass home stand wasn't enough to show that, you know, you need to make a move somewhere to help bolster this offense, which is already good. But you can't be that inconsistent, especially when you're getting you know, good pitching. That's all you can ask for. And to me for my j hay now segment, something's got to be done. Time is ticking. Not to rush and make an overpay, but you got to do something because too many games are too many winnable games are not being won. And granted we know it's been more bullpen that has you know, caused that, but at the same time, where at the end of July and the struggles against lefties have you know pretty much been there. So if this home stand wasn't enough, especially with only a couple of days left, you gotta make a move to help bolster this offense and not waste these pitching starts because you're only as good as you can do. When your pitch is good. You gotta get timely heading. You got to put runs up, otherwise you're gonna strike out forty four times and walk thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yep, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, Well, I was just gonna say, yeah, they just need something. I don't know if I mean, obviously they have multiple areas of the team that need addressed by August.
Speaker 5: Third people that helps an offense.
Speaker 2: But give them a new face in the clubhouse in Cincinnati this weekend, and let it be someone who wasn't promoted from Triple A or someone who wasn't claimed off waivers or just recently DFA.
Speaker 1: Like, let it. Let it be someone you need to show this team.
Speaker 2: Not that I don't I don't get the sense that this team doubts that the organization believes in it. Like I think they are in lockstep. I think the organization has made that very clear that they believe in this group, and I think the players believe that organization sentiment, like I think.
Speaker 1: There's no distrust there.
Speaker 2: But we're getting to the point in the year where every day where something isn't done, yep, it feels more prevalent to do something the next day, and you feel the way like loss is weigh more right now than they do in April.
Speaker 1: You're looking at the standings.
Speaker 2: Even these guys, even though these guys say they're not, they are, or people are around them are, and people around them are telling them where they are in the wild card who you know what the Cardinals just did, What the Padres are doing, what the Nationals are doing, Diamondbacks, Cubs, all these teams. It's the world that they live in, and they know that they haven't been good enough. And while they all individually know that they need to be better, there's nothing more that's gonna give them another boost than the organization going out and saying, hey, here's some help. We've got more on the way, but here's the first little taste. And while they can, I'm sure they can appreciate guys going up and down in the minor leagues and saying like, look like that's.
Speaker 1: You trying to and to their credit, sometimes that's worked. This year.
Speaker 2: They called up Carter Griffin in the first week of the season. Their team looked a lot better. They called up as Merlin Valdez, team looked.
Speaker 1: A lot better.
Speaker 2: Wilbrid Hotel help for a little bit there have been some other guys as well. Now you're running out of cards to play on that side of the table, so it's time to make a bigger move. It doesn't have to be substantial, but just somebody a little bit more established to go to the bullpen or somebody who can just say, Hey, you know, I'm not gonna play a lot, but I'm gonna play against lefties and I'm gonna give our lineup a better chance.
Speaker 1: That's gonna go a long way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I revert back to the comments Brian Reynolds made to my coworker Colin Beasley in spring training, and he said, it's easier. We've always said that we believe we compete, we can compete.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's.
Speaker 2: Easier to believe that this year because you look around there are guys that allow us to believe it there. And I'm obviously paraphrasing, but he essentially just said, yeah, like, we're a better team. We see it. We look around in the clubhouse, we see we're just a better team. And that allows us to believe we can go out and do things that we haven't achieved before. And they need to double down on that belief and the way you do that is by bringing in and because there are no top prospects that you're calling up to provide. There is no Garrett Cole you're throwing in here like they did in twenty three team, right, those guys have already come up, So now you got to go find it elsewhere and give them a spark. Just give them that cup of coffee, put a battery in their back, and allow them to find a second win for this you know, two month stretch. That's going to be the most important two month stretch the Pirates have played in probably a decade, if not longer.
Speaker 1: So mark anything to wrap us up here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just that shot in the arm would go a very long way. I think with this team, it's a they're a good team there. We know that it's very clear what pieces they need to become great and they just have to go out and add them. So that's I think a little bit frustrated as a fan when you see, you know, the bullpen impact another loss and it's like, well, we know we need bullpen help, go out and get it. What are you waiting for at this point? I get you don't want to overpay and you're trying to wait for the best deal. But every day that we're waiting is you know, that's one more loss that could impact And finally, I mean we're right on the margins. So it's it's a little frustrated right now, I'm excited. Uh, it's big, big trade deadline, biggest one of Ben Sherrington's tenure as general GM here and it could be a make or break deadline for him if he sticks around. You know, it's a full stop period. We need to win, make the postseason. Uh, this city wants it. So now is the time. We have a good ball club. Let's become great and make that final push here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I was just saying the final push was pretty much what I was gonna go off of, is you know, give something to help with that final push and you to go along with that. You know, it's not a final push, but we'd love for you to push that subscribe but to give us. Yeah, but yeah, push that buttonbscribe on our way to three thousand, working our way there. Every little bit helps appreciate the support and why you're there. Hit the team store a lot of great things to choose from T shirts, so these mugs, bucket hats, list, goes on, but yeah, appreciate the support, continue to spread the word. And is is it still the all star shirts or no?
Speaker 8: I think we does.
Speaker 3: We're goet on nose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, goods but yeah, working our way to three K as I said, not the final push, but keep pushing that button mark.
Speaker 3: Any final thoughts, I just want to give a quick shout out behind the scenes, George makes a lot of our our thumbnails and he's just been going above and beyond for us. Uh, So shout out to George. Really appreciate the hard work he's been doing for this show. A lot of people behind the scenes help us out. So I wanted to give him a little bit of shining because he's really been going above and beyond for us. So thank you George. Any final thoughts, Noah.
Speaker 1: I don't really know. I mean we're we're at the point of.
Speaker 2: The year now where it's just like there's there's nothing left in the brain here. It's all it's all up front when make moves, keep winning. That's that's what we got to talk about. That's what we need to see from the Pittsburgh Pirate.
Speaker 3: And hopefully we'll be talking to you guys soon with like an emergency trade podcast, So if the pirates make a move, we'll be here to cover it as soon as we possibly can for you guys.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, he's Platinum keyak Mark, He's Josh Harrison, I'm Noah Hiles. We're signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Buco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care,