Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Thursday, Another beautiful day here in Tahoe, and the temperature swing is unbelievable. We get here upper thirties to start the morning at around four thirty four to forty five. It'll probably be in the eighties in about three hours from now. But another gorgeous day and proud to be here. American Century Golf Tournament and among the luminaries stopping by, Jerome bettis grand Hill, Bence Carter, Matt Ryan, the Miz. The wrestler is going to stop by, and that means Pauli is going to want to wrestle the Miz. It always goes wrong when you do this, It always goes wrong. Matt Ryan and the Saturday Night Live host Colin Jost will join us as well. Glad to have you on board. If you're listening on our great radio affiliates around the country, iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio, or you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app. Eight seven seven three D Show operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Summer League. It starts tonight and it's Cooper Flag and Marvin just told me the tickets are going for twenty five hundred dollars to see Cooper Flag.
Speaker 3: So I'm hearing that resale price. I'm on a ticket website right now. It says nine hundred and ninety nine dollars. That's what I'm seeing is the highest right now. Okay, on a ticket website. Okay, Paul, he's not buying this.
Speaker 4: Now buying it.
Speaker 5: I saw this headline the other day and it felt like a boosted up headline, not real what the ticket prices are.
Speaker 4: Well, he's also going against Brownie.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, so I've retracted it.
Speaker 2: You maybe that's why these tickets are going for whatever they're going for. But Cooper Flag makes his Summer League debut. I don't know why. I don't think he'll win Rookie of the Year because I don't think there's a second, like there's really a candidate that's that close to him. But I just wonder how he fits in with Dallas, what they ask him to do, because it feels like some of these other are going to put up decent numbers. Ace Bailey might put up good numbers for a team that may not win twenty games in Utah. Dylan Harper may put up some good numbers, even looking back at your guy who won the Rookie of the Year for San Antonio. Yeah, I mean there were good numbers. They're not great numbers, and I wonder what we're going to expect. What is fair for Cooper Flag these numbers for his rookie year for a team that's got veterans there.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, So if Cooper flag average is maybe thirteen and a half points on a team that is fourth in the Western Conference, is that a no brainer?
Speaker 2: Hit the odds for him? According to DraftKings, overwhelming to be the rookie of the Year.
Speaker 4: But like VJ.
Speaker 2: Edgecombe, he's already proven well summer league that he can put up some pretty good in my.
Speaker 4: Badly now I got hit it.
Speaker 2: I got to criticize myself for being critical of other people who late in the summer league.
Speaker 4: Strike that from the records.
Speaker 2: Jordan Western, Yeah, already the pole question, Player of the day, stat of the day. Last night we had all the golfers, all the celebrities got together. It was a pairings party. So you find out who you're going to play with in the event, and you know you're seeing all walks of life in there. You know, there's an a Casornstams right there. Actor Jack Wagner's right there. There's Brian Baumgardner, Kevin from the Office, Rob Mackilly well Rob mack I think he changed he shortened his name always Sonny in Philadelphia, all of these people are just kind of mingling about. Uh, Steph Curry saw Steph Curry. Marvin was fanboying and Steph was seated, and you know he's just sitting there chilling, having a drink, and I just thought, let me just salo, So I said, uh, hey, and he looks up and he goes, oh, man, let me get up, give you some a hug.
Speaker 4: Marvin's like he's given you a hug, like he.
Speaker 6: Stood up for you.
Speaker 3: There were some there was some MVPs that he just stapped up and didn't get up for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, he said, hey, We've had him on since his junior year. I think of Davidson, So it's a long relationship there. I was always a big fan of his father, Dell when he played in the NBA. But if you want to look at boy band craziness, Steph Curry walking around when he's playing golf. It was crazy yesterday, crazy and Pauline and I were talking like, who is the most popular person here? You know, Charles Barkley walks into a room. Everybody knows Charles Barkley. But Marvin brought up a great point. Steph brings out the eight or nine year old who has a jersey on. You're not seeing that with Charles and watching Steph walk around yet. I mean trying to walk around yesterday and play golf, and he's a great golfer and you know he wants to be out there playing and trying to focus on winning this thing. But the number of people following him was incredible. Yeah see, and I mean this is basically his backyard. There were only a couple hours from their home base.
Speaker 6: You know, Yeah, Paully and Steph Curry.
Speaker 5: He can't stop because there's kids and once they stop, it's over.
Speaker 6: So security is trying to get him to the first tee.
Speaker 5: He's walking right past our set and we casually invited him on the show and his people said he can. He's got a tea off maybe tomorrow. But as we walked around the other side, we have two porta potties. There are porta potties by the way, and I walked around just to say thank you to Steph Curry's guy, and I look, I don't see, and as I go towards the porta potty to use it, Steph's coming out of the porta potty.
Speaker 6: So I followed up.
Speaker 7: Steph.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I know.
Speaker 2: I told Paulie. I said, he's got a tea off at a certain time. It's a shotgun start. They're going to sound a horn's he's gonna take a whiz and then he's going to go to the tea. And Poulie goes, well, you never know, I'm just gonna walk out there. So I look out over my shoulders the porta potty and Paulie I.
Speaker 5: Did not know he was in it. To be fair, I would not stock porta potty stock not anymore.
Speaker 2: No, we had the incident with Ray Romano, and we don't talk about that.
Speaker 5: But if Steph uses our porta potty, shouldn't he stop by the show?
Speaker 6: Is that possible?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would have been fine trying to enforce that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so you know, we saw Steph saw Aaron Rodgers. I mean, it's a lot of fun because people are relaxed in there and you're just having a cocktail and just different people mingling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Seed, it was the craziest room.
Speaker 8: We've done a lot of really cool things, like doing this show, right, We've had a lot of really great opportunities. That was one of the craziest rooms I've ever seen in my whole life, where it would be Alfonso Roberto talking to you know, like Albert Poolholes and Aaron Rodgers and you're like, oh my god, and that's Stephen Curry walks in and Miles Teller is standing over here. You're like, what the heck is and.
Speaker 6: Everybody was just chill.
Speaker 8: They're having like a sandwich and drinking a beer and it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of fun. So it's awesome. We got a great guest list today, and any changes to that, we'll let you know where. You know where we're situated just right off of the driving range, and we may get some people showing up prior to teeing off today. But that's the fun part of this all right, So poll question today, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: The other funny thing is we're such dopes. Me Marvin and a seat are sitting there and we're commenting on different celebrities. We say, oh, there's Miles Teller. We've never seen him before, and that hissed me. Goes, Hey, Colin Jos from senem like, yeah, yes, he's kind of jacked.
Speaker 6: I know, dude, Colin Jos is in great shape. Man, he's he's gotten big. Then we had a debate.
Speaker 5: See, he goes, if I were that famous and mary to Scarlett Joe Hanson, I'd put my feet up and just have a belly.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'd be jack too. I'll just work out and stay in shape.
Speaker 2: But I don't think I'd let myself go just because I got Scarlet Joe Hanson as my wife.
Speaker 8: No, I'm just saying that is it's like, well, hey, like you're on SNL and you got a really hot wipe, you got to stay in great shave like not really yeah you actually no you don't. It turns out no, you do not good debate. There are plenty of gorgeous women and you're like, really, wow, that dude man keeps up in shaving.
Speaker 6: H I don't have to looks like the normal SEC couple.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Like man, how did he get her.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we went to that party after the party. Yes, it was more the one with the crazy room. The awesome room was like just players basically. Yeah, and then there was something where I think it was players and families and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I bet you sixty percent of that crowd went to an SEC school. I bet you just looking at there was like, oh look there's an old miss Polo shirt and that's an LSU one. And that's what I bet you at least half of that crowd.
Speaker 2: I saw the punky QB. Jim McMahon owned him a long time, got to talk to him. He's had some health issues, but he is still Jim McMahon. He you know, he's not the golfer that he once was. He was a really good golfer. I played a round of golf with him probably twenty years ago. It was him and Bo Jackson and Mac is just a he's a funny guy. Now he plays barfoot. They make him wear his shoes when he teas off, and then he takes off his shoes and then he plays, and then when he gets ready to come back to the eighteenth hole, they have him put on his shoes. But he plays barefoot. And I ran into his son. His son should be jacked because he carries Jim McMahon's golf clubs, and Jim McMahon, you know, his poor son. There's usually eight or nine beers in the golf bag with ice to start his round, and then he makes the turn and adds eight or nine beers and ice at the turn. So I saw his son, and I was out here in two thousand and six playing. I said, you should be in better shape, and he goes, what do you mean. I go, you carry your dad's clubs with all that beer in there, and he goes, no, we got a designated beer carrier this year. He goes, I'm not going to carry the beer. I'm carrying his clubs. So it was fun last night. Now these guys claim that I had an awkward momento. Oh okay, and I certainly don't want to start anything with this. I didn't intend to start anything with this. And all of a sudden, I've got the dan Etz. Now Fritzy's not here, he's still in London. So it's Marvin, it's PAULI m Seton, and all of a sudden, Marvin and Mario, who's the director of the show the Eyes and Ears of the Show goes man, you just just Roger Clemens.
Speaker 4: I go, I didn't even see him.
Speaker 2: Now his wife said hello, but I didn't even think to go, where's your husband? Because it was like, oh, you know, this is Debbie Clemens.
Speaker 6: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 2: And she goes, It's been a long time? Okay, And then all of a sudden, I don't realize that Roger is right next to me. Is that how is this this affair? Say according to you? Yeah, okay, you guys, you guys. Tell me then what happened?
Speaker 5: Okay, we're getting ready to leave this party. He said, let's roll, and the guys were with you. I was about ten feet behind you, trying to get one more plate of food. I see you walk up to a couple of people and you are shoulder to shoulder with Roger Clemens, the Rocket, but you're facing two different directions. I'm like, oh, this is cool. Dan's gonna catch up with Roger Clemens. We haven't had him on in a while. You haven't seen him in a while, and I mean a while. And as I'm walking up you go you start taking off like that's weird. They didn't talk at all, and that's what I thought. Like I thought you saw each other and didn't.
Speaker 4: Talk, I would have said a low to him.
Speaker 6: I don't think you saw each other, and I don't think I did not.
Speaker 2: If you said, what did he have on? I can't tell you what he had on I have. I have no clue.
Speaker 5: He had a shirt on that actually said rocket Clemens on it. It's like a golf brand.
Speaker 7: Ass.
Speaker 6: Oh you're.
Speaker 7: He's not lying.
Speaker 6: It's a polo shirt. It says the rocket and a picture of him.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have no beef with Roger Clemens. He might with me, but I don't have any beef with him. But these guys were like, I don't even think of you. You don't even register to base. Oh be all the way back to the hotel, I got. These guys are going man, man, that was weird. Man Like, I can't then you got a beef. I have no beef with him. I didn't see him. If I see him today, I would say, hey, Roger, how are you sorry?
Speaker 4: I missed you last night?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But then what if you see him today and he ignores you? Then I would and I guess he has every right to. Then if he thought that I was slighting him. I would like to publicly say I didn't intend to slight him. I don't think it bothered him last night that I didn't, you know, address him.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 6: What if he.
Speaker 8: Comes here and stands over on the putting green and stands shoulder to shoulder with you the whole time and acts like he doesn't notice that you're there, I would love that.
Speaker 4: I would love that.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, Roger Clemens is in the first group teeing off today, the very first.
Speaker 6: He should be out early on the range.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, Roger, keep an eye on him.
Speaker 6: He's golfing with Carson Dally and Colin Jos de jacked. Colin Joe's okay, all right, all right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always tell Paulie I said, just remind me if I've got a beef with anybody or somebody doesn't like me. And uh, I don't think that there's anybody here that I really have an issue.
Speaker 6: I got to bully myself a little here.
Speaker 5: If I was with you in the group, I probably would have said say hi to Roger, but I was getting some mahima I takos, I know.
Speaker 6: What you were.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The damn food truck guy comes out and goes.
Speaker 2: I got your food, and Paul He's like, okay O, good more food, Can I get it to go? Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. We of course live from Edgewood in Lake Tahoe, American Century Celebrity Golf Championship. Go to Danpatrick dot com, click on the toy box link.
Speaker 4: Follow along.
Speaker 2: Tons of content posted their games, interviews, poll questions, etc. Etc. By the way, this first hour brought to you by tire Rack. They've been doing it for forty years now. Shit fast and freeback by free Root, hazard protection, convenient installation options like mobile tire installation tirec dot com. The wave tire buying should be Jerome Battis the Hall of Famer Bussy will join us coming up. Grand Hill will also stop by in this first hour. Well, take a break, Just getting started, Dan and the Dana's Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey what's up everybody, It's me three time pro bowler Levarrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game?
Speaker 4: What is up on Game?
Speaker 9: You assd along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Huschman, Zada and Super Bowl champion Yep, that's right, Plexico Burris. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it. Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to U Game with me lebar Arrington, t J. Hutchman's Ouda and Plexico Birds on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: Hall of Famer Grant Hill will stop buy in about twenty minutes or so. We get some phone calls. Poll question, who's doing the honors today?
Speaker 4: Seaton?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I believe I am. Okay, which school are you going to? This is based off of our guest list today.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, okay.
Speaker 8: Harvard, Duke, Notre Dame, Boston College, North Carolina, Miami University. That's the one in Ohio. Yes, that's the Miami right. So Colin Jos went to Harvard Duke is Grant Hill obviously, Bussy is a Domer VC is Matt Ryan, Vince Carter, North Carolina guy, the miz Miami.
Speaker 2: You, Okay, I would probably I'd be a Domer I think really, yeah, I think i'd do that.
Speaker 4: I'd wake up the echoes.
Speaker 8: Okay, now you're not playing, you're just going.
Speaker 2: Oh where am my social life is what we're talking about here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, well, Harvard is a hell of a school to go to, right, It's great campus confirm confirmed.
Speaker 6: Well these days it's take a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of that's true public. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's still actually a great institution, Duke. I mean, there's a few places better to go watch college basketball, right. Notre Dame is Notre Dame. It's great, Boston College, underrated, great.
Speaker 4: City, maybe the best college city in America.
Speaker 8: You know what, if you don't like Notre Dame, you're going to b C one hundred, North Carolina. Same thing as Duke, right, yeah, and that is great basketball all in Carolina.
Speaker 2: I get to see Bill Belichick, you do, Yeah you Jordan Hudson. Yeah, accurate, Yeah, accurate.
Speaker 4: I get to wear the Jordan brand.
Speaker 8: Dude, that's sick. I would go to a school just because they're like, oh wait, I could wear the Jordan brand, and I signed there.
Speaker 2: Well, kids used to sign because that was an Adida school or a Nike school. They went because of the shoes that you're going to wear.
Speaker 8: Not because their coaches from high school made them go. Because of course, I mean, I mean, you know, it's just because they wanted to wear Adida that they were getting kickbacks.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Jerome vettis the bus. He stopped by yesterday after the show. We sat down and talked to him, and I was kind of surprised at his physique. He almost looked like a mini bus, and I said he might be losing that great nickname of the bust. Okay, what's your weight compared to when you when you played?
Speaker 10: Right now, I'm still twenty pounds over when I played.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, so you're ahead.
Speaker 7: Was big old shorter pads on, so it make you They make you look like you a lot bigger than you really are.
Speaker 10: But now there's it's all stomach.
Speaker 4: Did you pick shoulder pads to make you look bigger?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 10: I needed them because I was doing a lot of a lot of heavy lifting, so the little bitty shorter paths didn't work for me. I needed to have some shoulder pads that actually worked a lot of these players. Nowadays the paths don't even work. I needed some functional short pass because there were guys bigger than me trying to take me out.
Speaker 7: So I needed some real shoulder pads.
Speaker 2: Okay, but explain to me that nobody has pads anymore, small shoulder pads. You might have a mouthpiece, You might not like what what's going on?
Speaker 10: It's you know, it's about speed now, I think that's what. Everybody's trying to get as much speed as they can. So the big guys are wearing little pads, uh, and little shorter pads so that they can be quicker and faster. And then the fast guys are wearing nothing, no, no pads, no nothing.
Speaker 7: Very they want to be as quick as they can possibly be.
Speaker 6: And I've done that.
Speaker 2: If you get if they hit you, period, you hurt.
Speaker 10: Right now, these guys are trying not to get hit at all, but if you get hit, it's going to hurt.
Speaker 4: What's the worst place that you got hit?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 10: I got hit in the quad and it split my quad and it split it vertically, so so the muscles kind of went that way. They didn't, it didn't tear, they tore apart. It was a you know what, we're playing Jacksonville and I don't I don't remember who hit me.
Speaker 7: You know, it was one of those hits.
Speaker 10: It didn't seem like much, right, you get hit and you know, you get up to and then you say ooh, and then the day after you saying, oh, we got a problem because this.
Speaker 7: Is not this is not working that well and that and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: But if you could and you could run like Derrick Henry or Barkley, who would you want to run.
Speaker 10: Like Squon Barkley because once he leaves, he's gone.
Speaker 4: But Derrick Henry doesn't get caught, well, he couldn't.
Speaker 7: Get caught very often.
Speaker 10: But quin is gone once he he is gone. And and what I just I just love the way he plays. I mean, Dereck Henry is a throwback. He could have played in any era, right, I mean he's playing in this era. He could have played in the air.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 10: Is just it's just fun because he he does some things that I don't.
Speaker 7: Think any other human can do at times.
Speaker 10: I mean, to see that run that he had that he jumped, it was just you had to rewind it because I was like, are you serious.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've seen a lot of.
Speaker 10: Great runs in my lifetime, but I think that was the single most most athletic run from a running back that I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: You know, your longest run from scrimmage?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 10: From scrimmage? Yes, it was, I was. It was my rookie year, I think, yeah, it was. We played we were playing New Orleans, and I think it was seventy seventy one.
Speaker 7: Seventy one. I'm cheating myself, man, I can't cheat my yard.
Speaker 6: I like how you acted like you didn't know.
Speaker 7: I knew, I knew, I remember it, but I don't.
Speaker 6: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 7: I thought it was seventy Honestly, did.
Speaker 4: You get no?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: No, it was okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah take that. Take that Barry Sanders? Can you explain? Can you explain Barry Sanders? And let's say nobody saw Barry Sanders, and you're gonna say, hey, there's this guy.
Speaker 10: It's one of those you say, well, he does, he goes, he'll stop.
Speaker 4: I didn't then, and then.
Speaker 10: After all of those who say it is a touchdown, it's a touchdown, it's a touchdown. But I can't really tell you how he got there. He went one place, he transformed to another place and ended up in the end zone. I can't tell you how he got there because people he did something special and it was special, but I don't know what he did.
Speaker 2: Hall of Famer Drome bettis joining us here Lake Tahoe. The Steelers let Najee Harris go, and it always feels like that offense is predicated on having a good running back there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, they they went away from Naji.
Speaker 7: I was a big fan of Naji Harris.
Speaker 10: I saw him develop every single year and was impressive.
Speaker 7: But team no, No, they're going to run the football.
Speaker 10: They drafted young kid from Iowa who's really really good running back.
Speaker 4: You bring Aaron Rodgers and DK Metcalf.
Speaker 10: Well, you're still going to throw the football, but you're still going to have to.
Speaker 7: Run the football.
Speaker 10: If you ask Aaron Rodgers, throw the ball forty times, that's a mistake, And Aaron would tell you that's a mistake. I don't think he wants to throw the ball forty times at forty years old, right, So he wants a running game too, because now if he can throw between twenty five and thirty balls, a game that's meaningful touches, and so I just think they have got to run the football because what you don't want to do is have him running around in the pocket at forty forty years old and taking those hits. You want them to play action. And I think that's when Aaron Rodgers at his best play action. He's moving, he's getting the ball out, he's you know, quick in the huddle, out of the huddle runner. So I think running the ball is a big part of what they need to do.
Speaker 4: Would you rather play for Marcus Freeman or Mike Thomlin, Oh.
Speaker 10: Man, that's tough. Well, I'll tell you this. I would say Mike Tomlin as a as an adult, right, as a guy who's a veteran guy. If I was a college player or a rookies first second year, I would want to play for coach Freeman.
Speaker 4: You freshman, he's there as a freshman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And and I think it's two totally different types of coaches. One he's you know, he's been there, he's done that, he knows how to reach you. And the other guy is a young coach. He's got energy and you know, he's you think he may be one of the players.
Speaker 2: He's built something special there. He's tapped in to the second generation of of NFL players.
Speaker 10: He has and and and I think part of that is NFL players understand the benefit of the educational side of it, and they say, hey, if we if I can get my son there, that'd be a great win for me.
Speaker 7: Now, you know, it's a little.
Speaker 10: Different because you know the guys are transferring and moving around, but you know they they want to they want to try to get there because I think Coach Freeman he resonates to those fathers of players who played. You know I played, and you know a lot of other different guys they played, and so now their sons are going through it, and we know the questions to ask, and we know what looks genuine. And when you look at Coach Freeman, you see that's genuine.
Speaker 4: How's your golf kin, it's you know.
Speaker 10: It's good until until put the lights on.
Speaker 7: Until the lights come on, it's good until they line up all the people on.
Speaker 10: The fairway, and it's like, okay, uh no, but it's it's it's good.
Speaker 2: More nerve wracking playing in the super Bowl or playing in this celebrity event.
Speaker 7: Oh, this celebrity event way more nerve racking.
Speaker 10: The super Bowl is only nerve wracking in pregame because you know, you come out for the pregame and it's you know, it's so much energy. It's so much energy, right, and so you're seeing, you know, all these people and people on the sidelines, you know, celebrities and this that, and so you're seeing all these people as you're trying to warm up, you know, and so people are talking to you, and so you don't really get a chance of warm up the way you did. But you warm up and warm up twice. In the super Bowl. You come out an hour and a half before. Then you come out about thirty minutes before, so you so it's it's a lot different. But here, uh, you know it's just you.
Speaker 6: And that ball.
Speaker 10: Man. Hey, you start talking yourself, come on, do to rizing. Go in the hole, Please go in the hole. Then you start begging, please go in the hole.
Speaker 4: Great to see it bout saying thanks for stopping on, thanks.
Speaker 7: For having me. It's always great.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: WAP starting to get busy.
Speaker 2: Here on a Thursday, Thursday morning here in Lake Tahoe, golfers are ount ready to have their morning round.
Speaker 6: What Paulieu to your left of the driving range is the great Roger Clements.
Speaker 2: Okay, just throwing it out, Davy. He'll stop over and say hello to me. Maybe it's an open invitation. You guys are making this a beef. There's no beef between us, not on my hey. I mean, you're making it seem like I Mike Piazza.
Speaker 6: Was an awkward non encounter.
Speaker 4: Yes it was, but it was my whatever.
Speaker 2: He is the NBA Hall of Famer Managing Director of USA Men's Basketball, and we have named him the most Valuable Celebrity after last night we make way for the Hall of Famer. Grant Hill joined this on the program. The reason why we're giving him the most Valuable Celebrity the MVC is Grant actually initiated DAP with the Danettes. It did no other celebrity, no other celebrity gave DAP to the Danettes last night with all the room full of celebrities and mister nice guy, gr nicest guy in the room, you know, and let me start there, because you are one of the nicest people I've ever met. But I wonder, you know, guys talk about turning it on in a killer instinct when you get on the floor. If people meet you, you are You're one of the nicest people and respectful people I've ever met in this business.
Speaker 4: But could you always turn it on?
Speaker 2: Did you have that in your head that I'm going to go out and kill you once I get on the floor.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, look, yeah, I think I'm a good person, a nice guy.
Speaker 6: You know, I did dapt these guys.
Speaker 11: Up fans of theirs, and I saw damn and I went over and adapt you guys up.
Speaker 6: You did so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but now you have to I mean, you don't get to the NBA, you don't get to that level All Star all NBA if you don't have a competitive streak. And so, if anything, I think people sometimes can mistake kindness for weakness. And so, but when we got between those lines, you know, you had to put on almost like you had to become a character. You know, you had to put on a different personality. And so it allowed me to, you know, go at guys and not be nasty, you know, be a competitor, have sportsmanship, but you're out there to win and compete, and then after the game, whatever happens happens. But you know, I was missed a nice guy. And you know they ran with that in the nineties, and and you know, my wife Will said, You're not always nice.
Speaker 4: Compare your encore demeanor to Jordan and Kobe.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, you know, I think for me, you gotta be authentic, and you gotta sort of those guys I think were assassins. You know, I remember vividly twenty twelve. I'm in Las Vegas and I'm a free agent my last year, about to be forty years old, and I went to the USA basketball practice and it was a twenty twelve team getting ready and the Lakers were sort of recruiting me. I ended up signing with the Clippers. But I was talking to Kobe before practice and the intensity in his face and talking about I'm about to go out here and kill like he was. And I'm thinking, this is, like, this is the same can practice on day two and and like it was, it was, but he was he was, that was him and and so you know, and and then you look at Michael. You know, Michael brought that Michael would manufacture things. But you know, I didn't go that far, you know, but I still look I went out there, and you know, I think if you ask the people who I played against, they would tell you I was coming at them. And I didn't really shoot a lot of jump shots. I'm coming right at you, going at you know. And and that was the mentality. And you know, I remember, I remember my rookie year, we played the Knicks and I went I went down. I was going one on one with Anthony Bonner. Uh and I get by him and and Oakley files me and I fall down, and you know, and I go to the free throw line to shoot free throws. Next play, I go to the hole. This time Bonner files me, but then Oakley foiules me again and and then I fall down. And it was like, I like, you got heart and he I was like, I just couldn't shoot. So that was I had no other option. I had to go in there.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: But like I went at was like you know, I mean I didn't it was always respectful. I didn't you know, I know who oak is, but I wasn't going to back down. And uh, and so I felt like I felt like I won some some respect from him as a rookie, which was hard to do.
Speaker 2: Pierce, let me know, tell me if I got this right. You made him cry. His rookie year almost made him cry.
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I don't remember.
Speaker 11: You know, he told the story a few times where his rookie season in Boston we played the Pistons, and I guess, you know, he said, I had all, you know, scored a bunch of points assist and just kind of went at him every possession. And you know, I think, I think the mindset then, I guess he came in maybe ninety eight, ninety nine, the lockout season probably was his first year. When you got a talented wing player who's coming in as a top pick and you see them for the first time, you want to go at them and send a message. And that's just like, okay, if I can, If I can go at them and punish them the first time I see them, they're always going to remember that.
Speaker 6: And clearly he still does.
Speaker 11: And so I don't remember the game, but I remember like thinking like that, you know, Sharif abdor Raheem when he came in, like guys that came in after me. Oh, yeah, fresh meat. I'm going at them. And so look, I love Paul, I love this game. I think he's an underrated guy. I don't think people fully appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Didn't he say he's the best pure scorer in the in NBA.
Speaker 11: History That I don't agree. No, But but I'll say this, and I think people need to understand this, Like to be great, to be a top ten, top twenty, like, you have to have a delusion confidence and a delusional belief in who you are and what you can do.
Speaker 6: And so I told I said this before.
Speaker 11: I think we were I think we were at the final four in Minnesota, and I talked about going against Jordan, and like you always felt that you were gonna win.
Speaker 6: You have to believe. You have to believe, Like now, we didn't win.
Speaker 11: We didn't win much at all back in the nineties against the bull, But you thought you were as good as Jordan.
Speaker 6: Yes, And that's just part of being a competitor.
Speaker 11: And you know, there were some moments where I was able to go at them, and there are a few times we beat them. They beat us more times than we beat them. But you have to believe that, you have to believe in yourself. So I don't agree with Paul, but I understand sort of the mindset and where he's coming from.
Speaker 2: He's Grant Hill, the Hall of Famer managing director of USA men's basketball. What advice would you give Cooper flag?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: Wow, I think he's in a great spot. First of all, I love Dallas. I love that he's got some good talented players around him. And I went to a twenty win team my rookie year and four years at Duke, where you know it's about winning championships, and now you go into an environment you just pick up bad habits.
Speaker 4: Did you even lose twenty games in your career?
Speaker 6: You know, that's a good question. I'm not sure that that's that's a great.
Speaker 11: Question because it's, oh, it just but what ends up happening is that you become you start to settle in to losing habits. And so just one year in a bad environment, went from twenty wins to twenty eight.
Speaker 6: My rookie year, big improvement.
Speaker 11: But then when Doug Collins came in the next year, he changed the culture and it was painful.
Speaker 6: But so losing is just tough.
Speaker 11: So for him to go to a team that has been to the to the to the finals. That has playoff expectations. I know Kyrie's out, we don't know if he'll be out all season or not. It's a great environment. You know, Cooper's handled the pressure so well. It's remarkable at a young age. How he You know, last summer we brought him in and I was I was a little worried that it might be too much for him.
Speaker 6: But let's see, let's see, let's see what happens.
Speaker 11: You know, everyone predicted he would be the number one pick this year, and we brought him in with the select team last summer and day two he was one of the best players on the court and had no fear.
Speaker 6: He was going at these guys.
Speaker 11: Now, I will say they didn't really know his game and they didn't have the scouting report on him. So I want to qualify things by saying that. But hey, just go out there, compete, have fun. The weight of the world's on your shoulders. You've got a great coach and Jason Well, I think will utilize him, put the ball in his hands, take advantage of his versatility.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited to see what he can do.
Speaker 11: But I think if he can, I think he's in a great spot and he's got a chance to be on a winning team his first year, which is important for a rookie.
Speaker 2: We talk about the Hall of very Good. Not everybody's a Hall of Famer, Yeah, but there are certain guys that we put in the Hall of very Good, like Jamal Crawford all of very good.
Speaker 11: Yeah no, well, I mean, I mean he might be the Hall of very very very good and yeah, yeah, no Jamal. So Jamal is one of my favorite and he knows that he's one of my favorite players. I always say, Jamal's your favorite player's favorite player, Like he's that guy.
Speaker 6: He's the guy that you know KD Lebron Staff.
Speaker 11: I mean, like guys like that they see him like man, he is just unreal. And we played together my last year and the Clippers, well he played, I was on the bench. I was watching, but we sat together on the plane and like this guy, he was like studying basket. He would go and look up clips on YouTube and talk about games I played in in the nineties and certain moves that I did, and we talked about like he liked to go left pulling up. He's like, you know what you inspired me? I got to work on going right. And he's six man of the He's in his prime at this time. He's already had multiple fifty point games. But just you know, one day he comes in with the Slam magazine when I'm on the cover. He went online and bought it, and like he is a basketball junkie, great talent, but just a real student of the game.
Speaker 2: So I have the utmost respect all of very very good. Anybody else in that hall of very very good. Now they're not going to make the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you know my class.
Speaker 4: Glenn Robinson, Yeah, he should have been.
Speaker 6: I mean, he he man, he was so good.
Speaker 2: He came in and he I thought he was going to change the game, being that tall, being able to shoot deep. They gave him a hundred million dollars and just never quite lived up till I think what people thought.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, look, I know I went against him.
Speaker 11: I had to guard him, and he was as good a player in my heyday when I was, you know, in Detroit and healthy before I got hurt. Man, he was a bucket one dribble, pull up high release. You know, his name was appropriate. He was a dog like he was and so you talked to small forwards from like jam Jamal Mashburn is another one from my era, but Mashburn, Pippin, you know, you go down the line.
Speaker 6: Guys. They had the utmost respect for Glenn Robinson.
Speaker 2: There's a there was a highlight they showed last night at the the get together where you cross over Scottie.
Speaker 4: Don't you go in and dunk?
Speaker 6: What did that a few times?
Speaker 4: It would have been nice if they showed you doing it against Jordan?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, you know, I got joined a.
Speaker 6: Couple of times.
Speaker 11: I got Jordan. No, I had a tip dunk on Jordan. So so I was on the break oist. I remember the game. It was on NBC. It was on NBC. I remember we played It was one of the times we beat them. We played them. It was the ninety seventh season. It was maybe March or April of ninety seven, towards the end of the season. And yeah, I had a triple double. I think I got like a thirty point triple double. I threw it ahead the oldest stor up. He went in for a layup, he missed it, and Jordan was there and I came and and kind of I jumped over Jordan and dumped it and this footage you can find it, you can't find it. But yeah, so that was you know, that was the only time. But nah, I mean Jordan's man, he was, you know. And we get into this debate and I and I hate the debate. Now I'm going to say who my favorite is. But I hate the debate because it kind of pits guys and generations against one another.
Speaker 6: And here's the thing, Dan, You look at football, they celebrate you know what.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to wait to have you tell this story.
Speaker 6: Oh man, okay, alright, alright.
Speaker 2: So the next time I see you at another celebrity event, you're gonna tell me who you think the greatest player is. He's grand Hill, the Hall of Famer. Hey, great to see you again. And most valuable celebrity.
Speaker 6: Oh there you go.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 6: The day is