Speaker 1: Roland.
Speaker 2: Let me lock in with this, Lucy, because I have a public service announcement for all of our viewers are long time tier ones, the crunch of a Lucy Man. Listen for the past few months in the comment section, especially on YouTube, but throughout the whole entire Busting with the Boys landscape, there has been a call to action bringing back the older intro. We want the older intro now. Behind the scenes, when the cameras aren't on, there's text messages flowing between me and Will some of the boys. They whisper in the back. We need to bring it back. Why are we bringing it back? There's a reason why I'm sitting on this bus alone today, and the reason is the vote has won. You people have won. And I hate saying that because I don't want this whole like now we control Busting with the Boys, but as a part of a bro's podcast, a podcast that we all hang out and enjoy each other and listen to our viewers and want to give them the best we can possibly give them. I'm here to tell you the new intro is out and the old intro, the intro is now back. Please enjoy the old intro.
Speaker 1: Alright, We're good.
Speaker 3: You like that, Busting with the boys, hanging with the faces, betting on a game.
Speaker 1: No moment's gonna tell us what you can knop.
Speaker 3: We're here just drinking beer and making a baby. I'm hanging with the feelers, busting with the boys.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys all enjoyed that old intro. This week on Busting with the Boys Special Special time, we now for the second time, have a Titans head coach on Brian Callahan joins us on the bus an hour and forty minutes of him just talking ball, talking shop. Jack McPherson maybe had the best question of the entire episode is are you going to bring back the pain train? And those of you who have sat in Nissan Stadium before the last two years and have got the opportunity to see a game and see on the big screen Terry Tate office linebacker and then Johnny Cash slowly following that know exactly who he's talking about. So hopefully those whispers, those words get in his little brain and he is able to tell the entertainment staff we need to bring that back to Nissan Stadium every single day. One thing if you don't have in your life you need to bring it back in your life. That is the Chevy Silverado and this podcast, Busting with the Boys, is presented by the Chevy Silverado. This is a Chevy truck podcast, boys and girls, the greatest truck ever built, and our good friends at Chevrolet have been a big part of the Busting family and even our personal lives. Chevy Silverado is a longtime partner of the show. A truck with a commanding and unstoppable grit, legendary capability and dependability to so find out for yourself, Like so many of our boys, head over to Chevy dot com to check out Chevy Trucks, Grit and build your own Silverado for do it yourself projects, to road trips, off road adventures, to tailgates. Whatever your thing is, it all starts with a Chevy truck. Now, this is a very cool podcast for Busting with the Boys because when our show started, Mike Rabel was the head coach of the Tennessee Titans, and as a player who just signed a contract, who will you know, first year with the Titans, You really don't know how the Titans feel about having now a public platform for people to go listen to and enjoy. There's probably a lot of red flags in the back of their head. What if they talk about scheme, what if they talk about in the building stuff, stuff that kind of when you have a family, you keep them with and the family you don't want it going out. That's how every professional collegiate organization works. And Mike Rabel comes on our show and has an incredible time with us, truly giving us a stamp of approval, saying it's okay, you guys are having this by him just coming on. In that conversation, the infamous question of would you cut your dick off for a Super Bowl comes up, and he says, been married for thirty years.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 2: Now we know what happened that year in twenty nineteen, the Boys went to the AFC Championship Game. Before that game, Mike Rabel said it was a joke, and we lost against the Kansas City Chiefs in Arrowhead. Now I'm not saying Mike Rabel is the reason why we lost the Super Bowl, but if you do the math, Mike Rabel is the reason why we lost the Super Bowl by losing you with the Chiefs, by going back on his promise of cutting his dick out, So that question, if you're wondering to Brian Callahan is asked on this very podcast. Boys, I'm so excited about this one. I'm excited about rekindling a relationship with the Titans. Ran is now going to come on the bus as well. That is going to be on next week. It is very cool to see the roots new regime kind of coming together and for all of us to really enjoy because it's a very special episode to all of us. We do a twisted question, what else do we do? Mitch? What else do we kick off? In that thing, we talk about the quarterbacks that he's had, We've had. He's at Matthew Stafford, he's at Peyton Manning, He's.
Speaker 1: Had Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: And there was one more sneaky boy in there that was like, oh shit, he's really had a lot of quarterbacks. Was there another one I'm not thinking of?
Speaker 5: You talked about Jake Browning?
Speaker 2: Jake Browning, which it's an interesting thing. Joe Burrow goes down, Jake brown goes in. The Bengals don't just completely fall off a cliff, and all of a sudden, Callahan gives himself a head coaching job to Browning, he kind of feels like that might be shitting on him a little bit. We go over all that stuff, we talk about all the new additions the Titans have brought into their organization with veteran wide receivers. Literally, Will Levis has so many weapons around him now to be successful. Even looking at the defense, getting Snead from Kansas City who is an all Pro guy with a Super Bowl ring on his finger, that type of leadership.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things to look forward to in Nashville, Tennessee, this upcoming fall. The boys are so slept on you look at a lot of these power rankings. I think Bleacher Report put these boys around like twenty eight to twenty nine, even thirty. A couple of I've seen of these smaller pages have been put in the Tennessee Titans at thirty two. If I told you, hey, we got a team with Calvin Ridley, DeAndre Hopkins, Tony Pollard, a top ten pick at left tackle. We have a top ten pick or a top fifteen pick at left guard. We have a center that we paid fifty million dollars to. We have a first round pick who's gonna find them with his way in the slot, Chig, a tight end who's on the up and coming. You have a lot of studs out there. Tyler Boyd coming over from the Bengals. If I told you just that small little snippet, would you say, these boys are gonna put points on the board. That's just the offense. Not to mention Jeffrey Simmons, who you know, your boy and him, we've had our back of force. I could say what I want about Jeff. However, he's a hell of a football player. He's an episode stud. You get the Autlan Trophy winner from the University of Texas Longhorns. He is now the second round pick. The man Lily is quoted saying if I don't, if I can just lose weight, I'll be a Hall of Famer. And knowing Big Jeff how he likes to verbally abuse people in the building, and I'm saying that as a compliment. This kid's gonna find his way into giving effort. Otherwise Jeff's not going to have it happen. Arden Key, who's got enough personality that Callahan goes over. He's a stud, came over from Jacksonville. I already talked about sneed a little bit they're looking to add another veteran of safety in the mix, but you also have Hooker. If Hooker stays healthy, the only downfall of Titans I see this year is injuries. If they're able to get the monkey off their back of having you know, one hundred whatever injuries and eighty nine guys playing and setting records, If they're able to stay away from that situation and keep these boys healthy and ready to play a weekend in week out, we've got a true team that could possibly win the AFC South this year. Boys and beyond. And I know I'm a Homer, I know I'm biased. I know we have other people coming in that are fans of other teams. Going Taylor, you're a psychopath, You're a lunatic. I'm just telling you, boys, there was a lot to be excited about in Nashville, Tennessee. Now we're gonna give him a game or two, right, we got to feel it out. They're playing the Chicago Bears week one, and as we get into week three or four, we need to start seeing Nissan Stadium packed, sold out, getting loud and proud. I don't want to see false starts from the offensive line on the opposing team. That's how you know that your fan base is making a big impression on the game itself. That is a big deal. Time will tell. We will see. But where I sit right now, in the middle of May, I'm looking around and I'm seeing a lot to be proud of by the two tone Blue in Nashville, Tennessee. It's an exciting time.
Speaker 5: Yes, match, the over under for their wins is six and a half. Before this interview, I may have taken the under, but after this interview, like, how can you not take the over on that?
Speaker 1: Dude? I know.
Speaker 2: The only question it's crazy to say in my mind other than the health thing is will Levis. Will Levis showed how insane he can be, his ability to take hits step into throes of pressure in his face, put just dots all over the field. The guy can make every single throw. Now he's got all the pieces and it really is ken will Levis elevate from year one to year two and have full seventeen games if he can do those things. Like I said, a lot of exciting shit is going on in Nashville, Tennessee. Me personally, we can't guarantee right this is a DraftKings podcast. I suggest you guys go over to Draft Kings right now. Me personally, this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna take that over six and a half wins is not crazy. The only thing that's gonna kill these boys is injuries. That to me is a bet. I feel very comfortable about making a right. I'm done with this episode. I hope be doing that today.
Speaker 6: If you're a real Titans fan, you take them winning the division like I did twelve hundred ods. I actually took it two days prior to Calvinriley getting signed, and I had a lot of high hopes as I always did.
Speaker 2: What were the odds when you took that bat.
Speaker 7: Plus twelve hundred? Really thirteen hundred?
Speaker 2: How much you put on it?
Speaker 7: Five hundred?
Speaker 2: That boy cooking out there?
Speaker 1: Huh? Come on now.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear this from you, Jackie, because if those of you who truly follow Bust One, the Boys and Artier one to consume all of the insane amount of contact that we put in a weekend in a week out, which we appreciate you doing, and play subscribe right five stars. If you have an opportunity to tell be a friend telephone, get those things out there. When Mike Rabel was fired, Jack McPherson was on Suweye Watch. He was like, we've now just gone back ten years, were dead like a true fan would. Right, you're not just staying even keeled. You're riding that roller coaster. You're ticking all the way up. And that was a dramatic fall for our boy. Now fast forward four months, you're sitting in a whole different position, aren't you, Jackie.
Speaker 7: Oh hell yeah, I'm on the Cali train.
Speaker 2: Now on the Cali train.
Speaker 1: Coach.
Speaker 7: He seems like a great guy. He seems like even better coach.
Speaker 6: It's fun, you know, there's a fun city to be a coach and be a part of a system like this.
Speaker 7: We've got great fans, good people.
Speaker 6: The only downfall is in Nashville's like the perfect three day week in town. So any big market team we play, you know, the boys load up the truck Chevy Silverado, they drive to nash over three days, they party all weekend, and our fair weather fans will sell them tickets. So we need to call to action for real fans to not be selling their tickets and go to games even if we're two and fourteen, and it's raining fucking show up because it's all we.
Speaker 2: Have two and fourteen. Is that a callback to twenty fourteen?
Speaker 7: Maybe? But I was there too.
Speaker 2: It's a sad time for us, man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's about to be a beautiful season. And I believe in Cali and I believe in Ran.
Speaker 7: As well, so and we'll love this. I believe in all of the two tone blue.
Speaker 6: I'm wearing it all today and not even by that's just an accident, because we live.
Speaker 2: And die by that closet.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 6: It's literally it's just Titans gear. And I mean Mitch is wearing my shirt right now. It's Titans gear and weird T shirts.
Speaker 2: That is a cool That is a cool T shirt.
Speaker 1: I do really enjoy that.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna You're not gonna keep it.
Speaker 5: I forgot it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I told you I have a lot of cool T shirts.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but those of you who don't know jackularly Pierson, I will tell you a little piece of him.
Speaker 1: Jack is everywhere we go Jack.
Speaker 2: We're mistaken for family, for brothers in one sense or another. Every place I go with Jack, if we're in a Bucky's or we're in Vegas, or we're in Alabama and there's a apparel store with wacky T shirts. Jackularly fierceon is gonna find his way in there and sneak away with one or two shirts.
Speaker 6: You have weigh too many clothes. I honestly might do a little uh, a little garage.
Speaker 2: Shale, a little spring cleaning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I need to just donate them, but I don't know. I just have way too many T shirts.
Speaker 6: I have a like entire room because Garrett used to live with me in my house and then he moved out. It was an empty room in her house and the room is literally just full of T shirts.
Speaker 7: And I mean, I don't need them, so.
Speaker 2: You could donate, But why help the community when he can just make a couple of bucks?
Speaker 6: Right, breaking news, The boy Robert Tunyan has just signed with the Vikings.
Speaker 7: And you're hearing this on Tuesday. This actually happened five days ago. So five days ago, so breaking.
Speaker 2: But man, and listen, the reason why we're shooting this shout out Rob Tonyan. He's a boy, he's been a part of the podcast. He obviously does tighten you. He's well integrated in the Nashville community. You know, and now he's just signed with the Vikings, which is incredible. The reason why this episode is being shot five days prior is because your boys an idiot. Me not will Your boy Taylor is an absolute idiot. We got a call from Two Bears, which is a great podcast hosted by Thomson Ger and Burt Kreischer. They wanted us to fly to Austin and shoot a podcast with them, which is awesome. Anytime you can collaborate with another podcast, especially as big as them, it's an absolute honor. I hit my wife up, say hey, Monday, what date is that? The twenty first? We'll just say it's the twenty first, Monday, the twenty first. Blah blah blah, can we am? I free to fly to Austin, Texas, and then after that, I'm gonna fly to Charlotte to do a podcast with somebody else, which I'm not going to say now because I don't know if we want to give out that information. But then fly back to Nashville, Tennessee on Tuesday. She has he had no problem, Well, your boys in the sauna, and I get an email from my daughter's school and Bro, this might be a dad hat moment. They're having kindergarten graduation on a Monday, which I don't know about those of you, the boomers out there, the millennials that are my age thirty two, thirty three, thirty four years old, I don't remember at my school, ASTech Elementary in Arizona, I don't remember us having a kindergarten graduation. That's crazy to me. What's even more crazy because I did talk to the boys, but they're like, hey, that's actually a pretty normal thing. What's nuts to me is we have kindergarten graduation on Monday, and then hey, we'll see at school still Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, they still have a full week of school before they go to summer break. That's that's insane to me because I know the last day of school was Friday. However, your boys and an idiot I committed to go to Two Bears. Now I can't go to Two Bears. Will Compton is still going to do Two Bears, which bums me out from a personal standpoint, because those boys are a great time. It's obviously massive for the brand, and it's also massive for personally just getting with those boys. You guys seeing different audience seeing our personalities. That's just how this shit cooks, right, we want to if we're cooking up a nice little meal, that's a great ingredient to dust in there. I'm excited for Will. I'm super bummed out for me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Will is actually in the other building right now. He's got a raspy voice. Anytime you raise it an octave above an eight, he has a problem with the voice. He gets raspy, he gets rasping in the old throat. We have a podcast later today which is going to come out in two weeks that I need my boy to save his voice for. So here I am diving on the sword talking to you beautiful people, saying, hey, I fucked up. Will gets the benefit and I feel bad for myself. If you feel bad for me, let me know in the comments. If you don't feel bad for me, also let me know in the comments your boys. But I can take those kinds of hits, now, Callahan, Do we have any segments that we need to hit before I let these amazing people who are obviously subscribing, unsubscribing, and resubscribing to the Callahan podcast.
Speaker 5: No, I think we're good. We already twisted with him. So I am thankfully off the hook this week, but next week this is my twisted question. I'll be back and please send me your twisted questions. I'll shout you out on the pod.
Speaker 7: I need help, like dick questions I think we need like we don't.
Speaker 6: It doesn't have to be about like would you rather have a dick for a face, or like you.
Speaker 2: Know, ever since the Tom Brady Roast, white guys have really gotten found.
Speaker 5: Out, we need like The best twisted question we had was would you rather have hit all red lights? Or have or hit all green lights? Or have the closest parking spot? Questions like that, like real world, those are the tough ones, those are the really good ones.
Speaker 2: And we're still green lights, right, are you guys green lights? Are you guys parking spots?
Speaker 7: I don't evenink that's the best question.
Speaker 6: If you choose parking spot, you're literally dumb in the head.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 2: That's all I need to hear. If he doesn't fully agree with you, Mitch is admitting he's dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean there's no parking lot on planet Earth that is big enough to use the park close enough where you are missing every red light.
Speaker 7: I mean you're skipping.
Speaker 6: Like today alone, the freewa was backed up by ease. I could have got to work like seven minutes faster. I would park across the street. Still not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Not a big deal.
Speaker 1: And it's not like if you don't, if you get all.
Speaker 2: Green lights you have the worst parking spot ever, you're still gonna have the luck here and there getting that front parking spot.
Speaker 6: I feel like I have nuns, like parking isn't that big of an issue, Like I feel like parking used to be an issue back in the day.
Speaker 2: Don't overthink the best answer, because that is the best answer. Now let's get into the episode. Do I need to read this ad before I do it? We've already read this one, right, Ladies and gentlemen, please enjoy the head coach of the Tennessee Titans, Brian Callahan, thank you so much for joining us. If you are here for the first time and seeing his face, my name is Taylor la One and I would absolutely love it if you subscribed. If you rated five stars, made a couple of comments in the YouTube, because that's what helps the algorithm, and that's what we're trying to do, is build this thing in a beautiful way. Please do those things. Please enjoy this episode and let us know what you think. Big hugs and the tiniest of kisses.
Speaker 1: Did then close to your mouth. Don't be scared, don't be shy. Kim and Lucy, are you a nicotine guy?
Speaker 8: I am not anymore? I was at one point. I'm not anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to try, Lucy, breakers are pretty good.
Speaker 8: Are you in the zens?
Speaker 1: Let that out, Mitch, you.
Speaker 2: Can keep that in with me. I'll tell you about Zen's man. Big Pharma, big tobacco companies own Zen. When you pop a loose in your mouth, you're not only getting the love and taste of nicotine, but you're also getting the fresh field of a mom and pop shop helping out the little guy. And that's what's important to us.
Speaker 8: That's yeah, you guys seem like you're trying to help the little guys out.
Speaker 2: Always humble beginnings.
Speaker 1: Before we uh, before we jumped on here, we were on the other side talking about coach Bill Callahan's individual yes, and Taylor was asking, uh, coach Brian, did they call you coach Brian or did they call you coach Callahan?
Speaker 8: You want to know most of them call most of them call me Cali.
Speaker 2: Cali. Yeah, okay, I've got a little extra English on it.
Speaker 8: I like that. That is nice. It's it's it's what most people have called me most of my coaching career. Yeah, and but yeah, coach works, Cali works. Weird. People don't call me Brian very often. That's a weird one for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, mister Calli it is.
Speaker 1: Then. Yeah, they was talking to Cali about the individual of coach Brian Callahan, and I was like, oh yeah. Sometimes in our individual linebacker drills and Washington, I'd be like, all right, water break and then we'd be like, let's go watch the Let's go watch the hogs is Indy and we just stand across the field and watch them.
Speaker 2: They just be dying the whole time.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. Brod's coach Callen's a grinder he gets out of you.
Speaker 2: Coach Bill Callahan, Yeah, Coach Bill Callahan, Yeah, absolutely, what was go ahead?
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, whatever timeframes that you get with any constraints, you're juicing as much, all the seconds you're getting it out of the boys.
Speaker 2: Has he been like that always? As long as you can always.
Speaker 8: Yeah, always, He's always been full till all the time. And that's how you get I mean, that's how guys get better. I mean you like we were watching yesterday, I think they might have done forty or fifty different pass sets, and they film every one of them and he cuts every one of them up to each guy. So you could watch all your reps for the whole day and see how you progress during a day and got better. But yeah, it's every usable second he uses. It doesn't ever stop.
Speaker 2: What's his philosophy on PAS sets, because a lot of coaches come in they're like, we do it one way and one way only. Is he let the guys the boys do what they want.
Speaker 8: They well, he coaches the technique that he's looking for. But there's a lot of variants in the set, the set angles, if you're jump setting versus a he calls a congo set versus an angle set. There's there's all kinds of variation that they use all the time, and there is some like he That's one of the things that I think he does great is he's able to have a conversation with a guy maybe that's played ten years and say, well, have you done it and find ways to work with them on what fits as long as they're still getting the job done. Yeah, he's open to listening in the guy's talk, but he's a very particular way about how he coaches it.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: That's that's so awesome how the old dogs are willing to still learn and do all that. Because you get some of those old old school cats, they'll come in and be like, you do it this way and this way. Only one guy. Have you ever met Russ Grim?
Speaker 8: I have not met him. I know him at it, I can't say that.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I was with Russ for two years. The greatest offensive line coach I've ever had in my entire life. Yeah, and he comes in the first meeting and he's like, talk to me about stutter. I don't know if you guys have stuttered open open side pull scheme. And I'm like, okay, if it's a three technique, reduce to the mic and if not, then you're this. He's like, wha deuce or through the mic? That's it. I was like, all right, what step. He's like, just get to the mic or do the deuce, and he just like instead of having to over explain every small detail. He was like, just know what your job is and go get that done the best way you can possibly do it, and I'll help you along the way. And he was huge for my career. Yeah, keep it simple, stupid, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Something to do that, yeah, or something to do that. It's I think the cool thing that fort like old coaches, and my dad's not that old, I guess, but he's kind of old enough. He's older, old gentleman. And what's been super impressive about him is his ability to go from like being that old, like the old old school style of coaching, and he's really adapted how he approaches today's players. I mean it's different now even then when when you guys played coming in. I mean you think about ten years ago, how much different the generation is, and his ability to relate to those guys and still connect with them and coaches him hard as hell, but they all know that he cares about him.
Speaker 1: No one knowing that you've seen him kind of adapt and develop with those times. Is there anything that you've asked him on, like, you know, noticing that difference in him, understanding that he has changed.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think there's a there's a you know, I think one of the things that jumped out was, you know, they drafted Dewan James last year in Cleveland, and it was just he's just very different than the guys that he's been on and in a long time ago, he might have coached Dewan a very different way and ultimately it might not have worked very well. And just to see him adapt and know that maybe the way that I'm approaching this, de Wan's not going to respond to me yelling and screaming and get in his face. I got to be it's positive and encouraging and trying to point out that these are the things that can help you and if you want to make a lot of money, here's how you do it right. And he appeals. He knows how to appeal to guys a lot of different ways. He knows the motivations I think. I mean, he's a master coach. He's he's got every every way to relate that you can relate in the book. And I asked him all the time, well what made you do that? Why did you do that in this case and not that case? And it's because he knows the player and he knows how to make it work.
Speaker 2: When you get this job at the Tennessee Titans and you call your old man say I want you to be the old line coach from my ball club.
Speaker 1: How did that?
Speaker 2: How did that all go down?
Speaker 8: It was It was cool. The backstory is I had interviewed for two jobs the year before that had gone oh well, A ways down the road. I felt like I was in the mix, and I'd have conversation with him and I said, you know, do you want to to do this. I've never worked for my dad, never he I never worked for him at any point. There have been some chances where I might have, we might have connected on staff together. I just never worked out. So I've never spent any time with him in the coaching profession. And so I asked him this question a year ago and he was like, no, I don't think I want to do that. Really yeah, well, I mean if you think about yeah, but you think about you know, there's a lot that goes into a father and sign of working together, and this would be this is the first time that I think a son has ever hired their father in a in a substantial role like that. You know, It's like Kyle Shanahan, Mike's always been around, but he never hired him in an official could like. It wasn't like Mike Shanahan was Kyle's coordinator.
Speaker 1: Right, if that makes sense.
Speaker 8: It's kind of a really unique setup. And so you know, we had to work through all those things, like my dad's like, I'm not for everybody. I'm what if you don't what if you don't like the way I coad you know what I mean? And you have to have those conversations, and so we did, and ultimately he was like, I just think I really like Cleveland, like Kevin Stefanski, and I'm happy here. I like the guys in the room. I don't really want to leave, I understand. And so I kind of just assumed that was going to be the case as this process went along, and so as I interviewed, I was everybody asked like, well, you know, is your dad coming with you? I'm like, no, he's not. I mean, we had we had the conversation. Is probably not gonna happen, and I didn't think it would. And all of a sudden, I get the job and I call him and tell him I got it, and he calls the next day and he's like, let me think about some things and I'll call you back.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 8: I was like, OK, no, I mean that that initial conversation was like absolutely thrilled we didn't have it in that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you know, yeah, you guys have a conversation, Hey, I got the job, proud of your son. Tears in both of your guys' eyes. The next day he calls you and without any context, goes, let me think about coming to help you out.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I love that, And I think it just became one. It became much more real for him in that moment. And and I think had it been the year prior, I think the answer still would have been no. And but having it happen in real time and him going, man, this is what a unique opportunity to go try to help my son succeed. And I think I'd want to be a part of that, and so as you. I'll go have my press conference. And we were kind of talking back and forth, and after the press conference, he was like, this is I want to make I want to do this, we need.
Speaker 1: To do this.
Speaker 8: It'll be it'll be really pretty fun. And it's been maybe the coolest experience of my coaching career is to be able to go to work with my dad every day. It's been pretty sweet.
Speaker 1: Dude. You had a unincredible like press or when you were talking about with your dad, like there was a lot of perspective, a lot of just like you can tell when you say that, like you genuinely mean it.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Was there a reason that you guy that you guys were never on the same staff. Is there something about saying maybe yourself to where it's like, Hey, I don't want to be known this way and don't want to feel like I get any handouts from somebody who's already been there, done that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Oh, that's true. One of the things I had finished. My dad was at at Nebraska at the time. I was just finishing my playing career, and he goes, he said, you look, you can come to Nebraska and you could be a here for me if you want to do that. I have a spot you can come do that. He goes, But what I would recommend to you is you've been at UCLA for for four years. You know the people there, you know the place. They have also said we'd love to have you in this role if you want to come when you graduate and do be a g G A here at UCLA and my dad was like, I really think you should stay at UCLA, And in that moment, I was like, like, damn Dad. Like but the best advices he had ever given me was he goes, starting to make your own way. He goes, it's already you're already going to get all these you know, all the the nepotism and all stuff. It goes around coaching where it's like, he goes, but you've I didn't give you your first job, and he goes, that will matter at some point for you, and I want you to make your own way and make your own connections and meet your own people that can help you, as opposed to me being the one to do it. And I think that was the best advice you could have given me, and it probably was the best thing that happened to me. He was not going to work for my dad and staying where I was.
Speaker 2: At any point, were you guys close to working together in the past.
Speaker 8: No, nothing that came up. You know, when we first got to Cincinnati there there was some there was a chance that maybe it could have worked out. But it's Zach's first job and he's he wants to hire the people that that he wanted to hire, and it never got It was never more than like a curiosity, like, oh, I wonder if that would work, and it just he was still in Washington at the time, and it was all he was again, happy where he's at. He's got a good line there. It was no big deal. So it never never went any further than curiosity. But it no, we've never been really close at any point to working together, which is kind of crazy to think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about how you cut your teeth into the business and being a GA at U c l A and moving on from that role.
Speaker 8: Yeah, typical GA stuff.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: I made coffee and got people food and worked long hours, and you know, we had a really good staff there at UCLA, which it's someday someone will write a story about it. But Eric Banniman was the running backs coach. John Embry was our tight ends coach. Dino Babers was the receivers coach. Tom Cable was the offensive coordinator. Jim Soboda was a quarterbacks coach. We had all these guys that all went on to be head coaches, you know, within a certain period of time, and really dynamic staff all these and so I got to learn from all these guys as a really young coach, which probably a huge reason of why that experience was so good for me. But man, it was a it's a grind ga life is is uh is not for everybody. Back then that was you only had two gas that could be on the field, and so it was like it was two or three guys that did everything. Now you have all these analysts and there's all this different stuff that they didn't have back then. By rule, you couldn't have anybody else anybody on But it depends on where you went now U C l A. I can guarantee you that.
Speaker 2: Because really followers the Bruins.
Speaker 8: Huh Yeah, it was me. In fact, the gas there were me, Clark Lee, head coach at Vanderbilt, Ryan Ficken who's been in the NFL for quite some time as a special teams coordinator, and Phil Rauscher, who's the line coach at the Jags. And so it was a bunch of guys, like we were all young coaches and we've all had these pretty good careers, but that was all we had and we had to do every We did everything really, I mean operation stuff, grinding all the tape, breaking it all down, breaking all the tape down before all the pff dat I got supplied to everybody. I mean, you had to break down the down and distance. You didn't know what personnel in the fields. You couldn't see jersey numbers because the tape wasn't an HD. It's just a whole different way of doing things than it is now. But it was. It was a lot of work. It was hard.
Speaker 2: So they didn't look over at the SEC and go, you know, they got a lot of guys over there, maybe we should do a couple of things too.
Speaker 1: No like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, we were, They just didn't have the you know, it is a public means, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but U is a nice area. It's Pasadena for sure.
Speaker 1: But as far as like calling the shots, the big wigs like a fair enough football over everything will find a way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, very very academically drove. Yeah, yeah, yeah, very academically.
Speaker 2: Not every school can do both like Michigan. Back again, you're from a sports standpoint, all the edges, yeah signals, ladies, gentlemen, We interrupt this episode to bring you game Time. That's right. Thanks to game Time, the official ticketing partner of Barstool Sports, you shouldn't have to worry when you buy tickets to your next big event. Game Time is fast and easy way to buy tickets to all the sports, music, comedy, and theater events near you. They have flash deals for sudden discounts, zone deals for when you're feeling flexible, and their lowest price guarantee that means if you can find the same seat for less anywhere else, game Time will credit you one hundred and ten percent of the difference. Game Time is the best place for last minute seats with up to sixty percent of your favorite events. What are you waiting for, boys, I'm going to buy those Sounds game tickets right dude. So have you've ever been to a Nationville game in the Sounds by the way, the right field, They had all the drinking games, They got Cornhill all day, all that they're Cornhill Cornhole. They got all those things for you. It's a really fun time to go to it. So take the guests. We're out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, create an account and use code busting for twenty dollars off your first purchase. Use code busting b u ss I N terms apply. Download the game time app today, last last minute tickets, lower prices and that is guarantee. Let's get back to this episode. Well, coach Brian Callahan, big hugs, tiny kisses. You brought up a PFF. What's your what's your stance on PFF's rating system.
Speaker 8: I think there's value in a baseline, like there is some things that you can you can you can look at it, and there's a number that they assigned to, uh, particularly to some positions that are really hard for like the average person to have any idea what is good and bad. But as far as like is it the end all be all and the grading system not at all. I mean it's you got to watch the game, you need to understand assignments. And they've gotten better. I will say, like the grading system has gotten better over the years. They've refined it. I use it more for some of the just the amount of data that they have. I can go, let me see every screen from every team for the last four years and I can pull them all up and watch them all. Yeah, and that's where the value and that is for me. The grades, I don't really you know, I don't really put a whole lot of stock in the grades.
Speaker 1: It feels like they'll probably use the grades like have that there, and then obviously every team does their own, and then I'm sure that they.
Speaker 8: There's a bench a little bit. Yeah, yeah, there's a benchmark. I mean it does give you it is it is a halfway accurate depiction of what a what a good and bad might look like.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, Yeah, if it's cut and dry, But the gray areas I feel like is we're PF because they're not there with the language of the play call and what the exact technick is supposed to do. I don't hate PFF at all, but there was a like there's a time where players, players in the locker room and the Titans were like kind of worried that if their PFF grade was bad that teams and coaches were looking at that. Do coaches look at the PFF grade ever, and go, no, no, no, maybe we should maybe we're doing something wrong.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think I've never looked at it like that. Yeah, I've not been around anybody that ever has used that as like, that's our grade for a player. You're still great a player. Watch the tape and understand what's being asked. Systematically as well, other than just hey, this guy graded at a eighty two point six, Like, I don't know what that means. Number that's good if you got yeah, it's a solid numb you wouldn't be so mad about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 1: There will be the time where you feel strongly about PFF, but then you grade out well, so then it's like, all right, where are you going to stand? You know what I mean? Like say you hate PFF, but the ninety five it's like, well, I mean I did.
Speaker 8: Have a situation they might be honest something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I had a situation in twenty sixteen where they were grading me well and then Paul Kaharskan the group of the Titans news guys, were like, how do you feel about that? And I took a stance then and there they don't they don't run the show. Yeah, they don't run the show big quickly my grades went down, so I don't know. Yeah, that's where they might have kind of start. Yeah, it might be a little bit of takeing over the PFF.
Speaker 1: Yeah. With you're throughout your coaching journey, you've been at some cool spots which spot or stop that you've been at has you feel has been the most pivotal for where you are now.
Speaker 8: God, They've all, all, for different reasons, have been really really influential. The two that the two of the most are my time in Denver with Peyton Manning for four of those six years I was there, and then the journey in Cincinnati from where we started to where we ended up. Those two spots are probably the most because they're the longest days I had. They were the most influential. Obviously, being around Peyton Manning for any amount of time is a is a blessing in and of itself. But yeah, he's that was like a PhD in quarterback.
Speaker 1: We grow him here at the bus. The fly keeps flying around.
Speaker 8: Look you, I mean, Cicada's in here yet, I know we're They're.
Speaker 1: Everywhere out here. Dude, watching Peyton in that last year where he necessarily couldn't throw it beyond five ten yards, what was it like sitting back? Yeah, I mean, I'm sure he'd say it. Well, watching him operate from being more limited than.
Speaker 8: He ever has, Yeah, it was really It was a It was a wild year because we had just transition from in Gary Kubiak was the head coach, and then they brought that whole system which was vastly different from the one that he had run for the better part of eighteen years at that point, and so there was a big back and forth there. He had gotten injured that year and missed a bunch of time and then came back for the playoffs. At the very end, brock Ostwall I think had thrown a couple interceptions and they replaced him at halftime right at the very end of the season in like a must win game against the Chargers, and then he ended up playing the playoffs. It was just it was a roller coaster season. It was a lot of ups and downs. But what the cool part was you saw what made him so great was his ability to process and know what to do and when to do it in the moment. Like it was unbelievable. And even with a diminishing physical skill set, he wasn't what he was when he was in his twenties. I mean, it was unbelievable what he pulled off with his brain and just being able to know what to do with the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's he like watching at practice? Like I've had teammates who have played with him, they're like, you know, if a tight end drops of ball, he'll take he'll take the he'll remove the tight end, even if even if you're back there like oh no, get back out there, the Sheriff's like, no, no, give me somebody else who's gonna catch the ball and be dependable in these moments. Like what was he like? That's accurate.
Speaker 8: That's what it was. It was. It was a standard. And it's actually funny we're having a conversation today about guys that are like that, get to that point in their careers that have the pelts on the wall and the experience, but on top of that, the pressure, you know, the expectation is that they're gonna win every game. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees. Those guys get to a certain point in their career where they don't allow anything other than what the highest standard is possible, and if you don't meet it, you're not gonna be playing with them. And that's how he operated, and and I appreciated that because he's got all the pressure he's got. I gotta I gotta do my part. And if I'm if I'm gonna do all this, then I'm gonna make sure that everybody around me is is at the same level that I am. And I thought that was a really cool thing to witness and in person. But that's how it would be if you if you didn't if you missed an assignment. He was particularly ruthless on like running backs and protection and he had to be able to trust him to do because he didn't you know, I don't want to get hit, right, And if they missed an assignment, it was like give me the next one, or like if he's if he's coming into the game, I'll come out, you know.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 8: It was that intensity and the expectation.
Speaker 1: He's coming into the game, Coach Kelly, you don't put him in the game, I'll be out.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: If I see him coming on the field, you'll see me walking off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: So that part was just it's just a demand of the standard of what you expect every day and it was awesome And then again everybody rose to meet it. You know, we had young players and Eric Decker and Demarus Thomas and c. J. Anderson, I mean, meet some guys that were unproven at the time that he helped make what they became. And it was a really cool process. To be a part of man. He's unlike anybody I've ever been around.
Speaker 2: What's it like with the coaches during practice when he's sending a guy away and the coach is like, no, you're in, And there's like this kind of this battle of egos between the sheriff and the coaches. Get uncomfortable at all? Is there like in the meeting room like this.
Speaker 8: Can we be honest about it? It's if he doesn't want him in, he's not going to be whether coaches aren't.
Speaker 1: Saying a word like yeah, yeah, you probably right eighteen.
Speaker 8: I mean that's just what That's just what it was, and that's why and you and you, and it wasn't like that all the time, but like there was, there was a standard, and if you didn't meet it, the expectation was that you wouldn't be you wouldn't be there playing with them. But that's also what drove guys to be even better than they thought they could be, was because they wanted to be a part of it, and they wanted to be in that mode. They wanted to be accounted on. And it's amazing what happens when you got a guy making sure that you better do it. Right or you can't be. It drives you to be great truth you.
Speaker 2: So you have Peyton Manning and then you go to Cincinnati and you get blessed with Joe Cool Joe Burrow.
Speaker 8: Yeah what is Joe? The staff and the two years, the two years in Detroit were phenomenal. It was I God, Matthews talk about underrated man like, I think he's one of the best quarterbacks in football and has been for a long time, and I think he finally gets his due, but there was a while there where he didn't. And he might be one of the toughest players I've ever been around, and one of the most crazy talented quarterbacks that I've seen play. I mean, he's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: That clip of them in like a two minute drive to win the game and he like gets his shoulder out or something like that and he's on the sideline that.
Speaker 1: Was in his career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yes, that was like just one of the cooler things you see a quarterback do because he's like hurt and he's like, I'll do it, and he throws a touchdown. The games over they win, He's.
Speaker 8: Like, shoulders broke, he broke his color bone. No ship, Yeah, I think that's what it was, if I remember correctly. But yeah, he's you want to talk about. I mean that you guys know, the things that guys play through that people don't know about is it would be shocking. I think if people knew what the guy's dealt with during a football season and the things that he played through and the toughness that he had, it was it might be the toughest guy I've ever seen. I mean, truthfully, Oh yeah he is. He is hard, hard, knows, tough as all get out, and he's an awesome guy to be around. I don't know how much time you guys have spent with him, but I.
Speaker 2: Never I don't think I met him either.
Speaker 1: You just hear, you hear, just like that time.
Speaker 2: Why do you think he was still under raid for so long? Just because the franchise layoffs?
Speaker 8: Yea, they didn't win enough, you know, And that's again, that's a the wins tend to become a quarterback stat which they probably shouldn't be. But there he was on teams that were probably on the on the brink and could never quite get over that hump. And and then obviously he goes to l A and he's been lightning on fires and every time. I mean, he's been unbelievable. There, wins the super Bowl, all the like. It's he's finally I think, getting his due as a player. But yeah, he was that player before.
Speaker 1: He got to l A.
Speaker 8: He just didn't probably get the recognition for it.
Speaker 1: And then you get Joe B. Yeah. Yeah, You've been around some cats.
Speaker 8: I've been very lucky, I've been very bad.
Speaker 1: Stafford, Joe Burrow. What are the similarities that all three of those guys have? And then you've talked about a little bit on the way that staff was Peyton was, and then also some differences with Joe B.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it was. It was very different because Peyton was obviously going and I think when he came to Denver that was like year fifteen when I went, when I was with Matthew, I think Matthew was going into like seven eight A, seven eight nine ten somewhere. He was, he had been playing for a couple of years. And then having Joe was different because Joe was a rookie obviously a highly highly regarded and his reputation preceded him when he got drafted, but he was still a rookie and so that was a really fun process to try to help that development from being a rookie and as you guys know, rookies are rookies even no matter how good they are, still takes some time. But to see him become everything that we thought he could become and he knew he could become was pretty awesome. And that's because he shares a lot of the same traits that that Peyton and Matthew have in terms of, you know, there's just an edge to the there's just something about those guys and you know it when you see it, where they just don't accept any thing other than the best, and there is no such thing as failure like they do not they won't fail, they can't fail, and there's there's a willpower in that. I think that's kind of the baseline of who they are. And then there's a drive to be the best there is, yeah, and there's just and then he has the ability to deliver on it, which is pretty cool. Very different personality than Peyton and Matthew. They're all very unique, but they share that commonality where they're they're at their core, they are they are assassins, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: We endre up this episode to bring you Draft King sports Book. We are this close to the crowning the NBA champion, and with the action heating up on the court, it's even hotter at Draft King Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA. There's only so many games left, and Draft King sports Books has you covered with same game parlays, live betting, odd boose, and so much more. Don't miss out or you'll have to wait until the next NBA season to place your bets. It's super easy for first timers to get started. Try betting on something simple like picking a team to win. Go to DraftKings Sportsbook app, select your squad and place your first bet. It's that simple. Boys and girls, new to DraftKings, so make sure you have a good listen here, especially when I'm reading. You guys know how I read. I don't read very well. New customers can get a no sweat bet up to fifteen hundred dollars just to posit at least at least five dollars, and you'll get a bonus bet back equal to your first bet if it does not hit. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now and use code bus that's b us for new customers to get a no sweat bet up to fifteen hundred dollars. If your first bet doesn't hit, only on DraftKings, the crown is yours. Sorry, I'm a little tired today, but let's get back to this episode. When did you win Joe? When Joe walks into the Bengals franchise and you say it takes rookies, doesn't matter how good they are. Takeing some little bit of time, when did you know, Okay, we got the franchise.
Speaker 8: Quarterback, probably about halfway through that first year where you're still kind of figuring some things out. Obviously it's a COVID year, so it's even more challenging. So he has no offseason. We don't have any OTA's, there's all virtual.
Speaker 2: God, imagine picking up a playbook.
Speaker 8: And and then there's no fans in the stadium. So his first game, we play the Chargers, and this is the game where uh Tyrod got injected and they punched Lung and so then it was Herbert and him playing and Joe goes down at the very end of the game. It would been like the legend of Joe Burrow would have only grown end of the game, goes down and throws a fade stop to aj Green in the corner of the end zone and they calls for OPI. So the game winning touchdown gets called back. So we go kick a field goal to tie it, and our kicker cramped and missed the game winning field goal. There's no there's nobody in the stands cramps and we miss, and so here's this like, here's this like busting out of the scene. Here comes Joe Burrow come back win last minute when in his first start, and it just it isn't And it was like, that's that's that's unfortunate. You saw a glimpse of that and that in that drive like, oh, this guy is gonna be pretty good, I think. And then each game he successively got better. And I think the one game you probably played in potentially, I think Tennessee came to Cincinnati and we had lost, and then we had five new starters up front, and then we had signed Quinton Spain on Friday and he started at left guard on Sunday, Yes, and so we had we had a guy that hadn't practiced with us, and we had five new starters. And that was the game where Joe sort of took it on and took it on his back and we ended up winning the game. We played pretty well, and it was that game when it was like he's arrived, this is the game, He's he is what we thought he was going to be. And then he goes and plays good for another I think maybe one more week, two more weeks, and he gets hurt in Washington and tears me up. God so the season, but he was we were hitting this rise, we were we were going to win. I think we would have won a handful of games on a stretch, and I think people would have looked like, oh, here he comes. But he gets hurt and it's out. Nobody knows how good he's really going to be. And he ultimately sacrificed his knee for Jamar Chase because that allowed us. We were not very good after that, and we picked Jamar the next year, the fifth overall.
Speaker 2: But a lot of stuff came up in that draft where when when he gets hurt, everyone's like they need protection. You just said all the offensive lineman route. You sign a guy off the streets, he comes and starts for you that week, and you guys go pick Jamar Chase. Where was the thought process in that building when you're evaluating because you're you're thinking franchise quarterback. We know this is the guy, we got to get him. Offensive lineman?
Speaker 8: What was it was the pin Sul it was and Jamal That was like the big debate. It's like, how do the how can the Bengals not draft the left tackle?
Speaker 2: Looking back on it, you can't go wrong like both those yeah.
Speaker 8: Both of me, Like these guys are going to both be all Pro players, right and whoever you pick was going to be right. But you we went back and forth and there was playing a debate, plenty of opinion on it, and ultimately I had went back some of my time in Denver when we had Damarius Thomas, Eric Decker and then Emmanuel Sanders and then in the slot we had Wes Welker and we were we were and.
Speaker 2: I was so nasty underrated, Yeah, very very good player.
Speaker 8: And we we had a game against New England when we were in Denver down the stretch and it was two bad was back to back plays or maybe two out of three plays. End of the game. We had to go win the game, and we hit two go balls down one each one each side. I think one was Marius, one was to em Manual, and it was like, man, when you got to win versus press coverage, it doesn't matter who you have up front. If you can't have a guy that can go win that matchup, you're gonna have a hard time throwing the ball to win in the NFL, and that always just stuck with me, and I always thought that was a good way to build an offense. Is that make sure you have guys that can win. And you know, we're getting this debate back and forth about the tackle and the receiver, and I was like, well, I said, if he can win fast enough, it's not gonna matter how long we blot. If he can win quick, we can get the ball out quick. And one of the things that Joe does so well is play on time in process and so the ball gets distributed. And it's like, well, we can negate some of the offensive line issues if we got elite playmakers outside. And that was my stance, and then it's a couple of other people had some didn't have that. So it went back and forth, but ultimately we landed on that Jamar would be the the gay that scores touchdowns. Would be one that would be more helpful for our offense, and thank god we did.
Speaker 2: So you were the guy that brought Jamara Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to claim. I'm not going to claim. I'm just telling you my perspective on the argument was that, and I voiced that. I mean, that was my progative the voice it as a coordinator, and I think Zach felt the same way as Zach Taylor. I think he landed on that same argument. So the two of us sort of were in agreement, but ultimately it was that's a Zach Taylor, Duke Tobin and Mike Brown decision that gets made. But that's that was the argument back and forth.
Speaker 1: Then the most fiery, drama filled moment in a war room that you've seen.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Could I just did you guys talk to Joe Burrow at all about Hey, should we go tackle? Why receive it? Being a rookie, but knowing he's.
Speaker 8: Joe's involved, we kept Joe in the loop on all the personnel decisions and the thought process and we actually talked to him a lot because knew Jamar and so Jamardin' if you if you remember Jamar didn't play that year because it was COVID year and he sat out and so there wasn't any recent film on him other than the year that he was tearing up the sec with Joe killing and so Joe was like, Joe didn't Joe was like, I'll take Jamar every every day and twice on Sunday like this, It's not even a debate for him. He because he knew what he was, uh, he knew how impactful he could be. And so Joe was all in favor of Jamar in that situation. And I'm glad he was.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So I forgot you off get that same question. Yeah, most fiery or drama filled, tense moment in a in a war room that you've that you've been a part of or witnessed.
Speaker 8: You know what. Not all there hasn't been as many.
Speaker 1: Were somebody you look back, you're like, man, maybe they should we should have took that guy.
Speaker 8: There's always that. I mean, I would say the debates between the players that were available to us and at pick five that year was pretty intense. I mean there was some guys that felt like Kyle Pitts was a really fantastic prospect coming out and he was the Pinna Suol, those the other guys that were involved with Obviously Devanta Smith and Jalen Watta were both in that conversation, So those were pretty Those were pretty intense conversations because guys are pretty convicted on what they thought those players could be. And so I remember a good couple back and forth on some of those debates on this player over this player, and ultimately when you look back, like, well, we weren't gonna be wrong either way. All those guys ended up being great players, so we know nobody was wrong in that regard. But when you're debating on who to pick, and do you take Penna Suol or do you do you take Pina Suol and try to take Devanta Smith, and you know, what's the what? What player are you looking at? And you obviously account for some of those quarterbacks going and you look at the world of player you're in and you got a debate like hell, and those usually means that you made the best decision too, because you've you've flushed out all the all the good and bads and pros and cons of all the players. And but those were pretty intent. Those debates are pretty intense. Those are the ones that I remember the most because you're picking at five, that's a that should be a Hall of Fame style player and you can't get it wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with with that clock ticking down at five, how long did that discussion go before someone's like, hey, we got to call this thing in or was it pretty decided when you knew.
Speaker 8: You once you knew what were the players, Because we weren't sure who was going to Gore is going to go to Atlanta, you didn't know. You didn't know if Miami was going to try to trade up. There was a whole lot of stuff going on that until you're on the clock, you don't know. But the decision had been made prior to the draft, even starting that if this this is the order we're going to go in. If this is if Jamar is there, we're taking them. If Jamar's not there, we're taking pay. If those two are both gone, we're taking this guy. So that stuff all gets settled out prior to the draft, even starting.
Speaker 2: When you when you hearing you talk about the Bengals and how you guys established your offense gets me fired up for the Titans because you're seeing how you view the field, how you feel you need guys to win and press one on one coverage, and you're getting all these athletes in there. All you have so many, so much talent on the offensive side of the ball. Now, like, what what's the expectation WHI should be happening for the Titans? We win it all this year?
Speaker 8: Is this it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I tell I tell Jack and Garrett back there, who've been Titans fans. It's the inception of Tennessee that we're going to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: I tell our guys all the time that we don't make any any predictions or promises, So I I certainly can't step out here and.
Speaker 2: That's good meeting set, that's good.
Speaker 8: Anything other than that, I will say this, though, I am excited about what we've done. The players we've added. I think they're all you know we had with Calvin Ridley and Tyler Boyd and and de Hop coming back, and Tony Pollard mixed mixing in with with Taj Spears, and you get a chance to draft J. C. Latham, and you got a year two for Peter Skronsky, and now you go signing Lloyd Kushienberry to send Like, I feel like there's some there's some really exciting pieces that you know, if we can put it all together, I think we have a chance. And obviously I believe in Will Levis. It's a large reason why I took the job is that I think he's capable of being a really good player, and he has not disappointed so far in the offseason program. He's fantastic, does everything you ask the way you want it, And I'm excited to see what we have. I just I'll leave it at that. I think we can. I think we can put together a competitive football team.
Speaker 1: What do you see in Will Levis? Because again, we just rattled off three guys that you've been around, Paid Manning, Matt Stafford, Joe Burrow. What do you see similarly with with Will?
Speaker 8: The drive? He's got the drive. He wants to be a great player. He wants to do whatever it takes to be a great player. I think one of the cool things about watching Will get to play last year and in some pretty adverse circumstances is you saw his toughness. You know, I think that's kind of a common theme with these guys, is they all have this kind of innate toughness that that guy's rally around. You know, when you see when you see a quarterback out there, you know, diving for a first down or or taking a shot and making a great throws. He's taking one on the chin. That's the kind of guy you want to play for, right Like you go, you go, yeah, let's I can do this. That guy can This guy can do enough for me to play hard with. And you saw all those things on tape last year, and he saw his physical talent. Obviously, I don't want him jumping and diving and flipping around for first downs because let's not do that. Let's not do that. Let's see that's that's that's the that's the brand. I mean, you need that thing to work. So we'll try to lessen some of that. But I think he's proven uh his toughness to the to the guys and the team and the people in the NFL look at him and go, all right, this guy he's got a chance. Now let's give him as much talent around him as possible and and and see if we can help him with a system offensively to have some success. And he's got all the traits that you look for though, as far as the drive and determination to be great Uh, is there And that's that's exciting.
Speaker 2: With the with Ran, like you walk into the building and for the nine years I was with the Titans, like day one and two of free agency, nothing ever happened with the Titians. We kind of sit back, let the first wave go, and you kind of pick pieces up in the middle market. You guys came and started just cleaning house immediately do you and Ran? How clear is your guys' conversation of where you want the direction to go? Like, how that's just on the same page?
Speaker 4: Clear?
Speaker 8: Him and I hit it off in the interview process, and he was a guy that that I just connected with immediately. You know, you meet people and you just there's just something about the connection. You're like, this is this is the kind of person I want to go to work with every day. And it has been that way from the minute we stepped on our first Zoom interview through today. It's been everything I thought it would be in terms of our working relationship and our vision and how we want to execute the vision and what it's going to take to get the team competitive to where we feel like we can contend for the division and for the playoffs and ultimately for a Super Bowl someday that we've been on the same page with everything and it's been really really fun, Like it's not like that everywhere, as you guys know, you don't always get that connection, and it's, uh, it's been incredible, and he's got a great feel for what football is supposed to look like we see it the same way. And man, when you go into a free agency period and you're in lockstep and with Chad Brinker as well, where you're like, this is the direction we're heading, you feel really good about it. And then the coolest part about it is you get to a certain point in free agency where things don't always you know, we didn't get everybody we initially thought we were going to get, and so a guy goes here and a guy goes there, and and now you look around, Well, the difference in the good teams in free agency is how fast do you pivot? And so we lose two or three guys, and all of a sudden we look up and we're like, we should probably check in on Calvin Ridley and see where that's at. You know, we got some we got money we didn't think we're going to have. We lost a guy or two that we thought we were going to get back and we didn't. So let's let's check in, let's see where it's at. And so then that process started and kind of swooped in the middle of the night and stole Calvin out of there. And that was because you just you gotta fluid. You're able to pivot. You have a plan in place, and when the plan doesn't go exactly the same, you know where the next spot is. And I thought Ram was masterful in the free agency.
Speaker 1: Process with like your philosophies in the way you want to kind of cultivate your first job being a head coach, like what you inherited with the Titans, from the familiar faces who are still here. What are some of the directions and vision you wanted to kind of take this team internally in the building. Yeah, from what you'd understood most previously.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, I think the thing about the Titans, I think really for the history of the of the organization in Nashville, is that it's always been a tough ass team. You know, regardless of the players that have been on the team, there's just a there's been a tradition of this toughness every time we ever played Tennessee, it was like buckle up, boys, like you're gonna get You're gonna get every it's gonna be everything you got, everything they got, and it's going to come down to the end. And that's how I've always viewed the Titans every time we've ever played them, for the years of been in the NFL, It's just there's always been good players here. It's always been tough teams, they've always been well coached. And that part is the part you want to stay. That's sort of like an ethos of the organization. You want that to be a part of who they always are, regardless of who's in charge. And the other part that I believe in is that you want guys that love being around each other, that love being in the building together, and you want an environment that they love working with their coaches too. And so there's a there's a feeling that you want when you when you wake up in the morning and you got to go to work, and there's it's one of two ways. Either you're like, fuck, man, I want to go to work today. Oh, I've been there a couple of days, yeah, or it's like like hell yeah, I can't wait to get to work, and that's the what I what I'm going for is that second option where guys wake up and can't wait to be in the building because they love what they're doing and who they're doing it with, and there's a connection amongst the people that are doing it with. I think that's what unique about where we are in Tennessee now with Rand and myself is that it's a very open building and there's there's a lot of back and forth. Like you see Ram walking into hallways and he's out of practice and he's dapping guys up and he's talking to him in the lunch room and I'm around and I'm visible, and there's our personalities play off each other. And I think we hired a coaching staff that's the same way. And I hope the players feel that when they're in the building. I think if you ask most of them, they would feel, at least to start, that's how it feels. But I want guys that love coming to work and playing football together. Because everybody's got money, everybody's got talent, and I think that's what separates teams is what kind of locker room do you have and what kind of people are in the building, and I think that's what matters the most.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another ad read brought to you by myself, Tail Lawan. Let's talk about Shady Race. Get ready for the season with the official sunglasses brand of Barstool Sports, Shady Rays. Our friends have you covered with their newest and boldest, premium polarized shades. They're kicking off their most anticipated release of twenty twenty four with a limited edition debut of their Arrival collection. This is a new single lens style and barstool blue with a premium stool and star lens etch. And if you're looking for something more casual, the classics, Yes, the classics are also getting a barstool treatment. Both of these styles are the perfect for all day, everyday comfort and performance. They have hundreds of options to choose from, so your bond You're bound to find the perfect pair for your styles. Don't laugh when I'm doing an atterid Mitch, No, you can't laugh in the background. If you don't love your shades, exchange for a new pair or return them worry free within thirty days. There's no risk with Shady Raise. Their team always has your back for personal with personal and fast support. Head over to Shady rays dot com and use code boys for thirty five percent off polarized sunglasses try for yourself. The shades are rated five stars by over three hundred thousand human beings. Let's get back to this episode, but before you do, do me a favorite. Subscribe unsubscribed, resubscribe. Now let's get back to the episode. Well, when we went to the franch of the facility, it seemed like everybody was way more. Those guys were coming up to us saying, hey, like it's different, like things is, the energy is different, and there's a higher vibe here That doesn't take away from anything from John and Vrave, like they there was a Patriots Way type of vibe where buttles are tight when you go into a team meeting and you know you can get exposed if you have a bad play at practice. So it was like everyone's got to be on their shit to know that on Sunday we're gonna go win. Like, how long once you got in the building and got with the guys, did you see the transition of them like all right, letting their shoulders down, letting their guard down a little bit. I'm being like, Okay, we can we can mix it up a little bit with the coach. Yeah, it's headball coach in a GM. That's that's a tough two guys to mix it up with and feel comfortable unless you're like that that's been in the game for a long time.
Speaker 8: And I still feel like guys get nervous sometimes around me and I don't. It's new for me being in the role too. I realized how.
Speaker 1: Much your position like a cool guy.
Speaker 8: I'm learning more about the weight of my words and my interactions and how much it matters to guys when maybe you don't think twice about it, but it might be the only time you interact with the head coach the for a week, and like that hit that sticks with guys. I remember Eve as a play how that would stick with me? And I'm much more mindful of that now than maybe I ever was, And even as the days go by, it stands out sometimes. But I think that there's a lot of ways to win in the NFL. There's not one set way that you have to take, and I think as long as you're kind of authentic to what you believe in, you can you can build the program in the image that you think is the right way. And I just believe that there's a when you come to work and there's a there's a looseness and and and and a joy in the process.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: It makes a really hard profession a little less hard. And I think when you get into the the part that when it is really hard, when you're in December and it's tough, and you're banged up and it hurts uh to go practice every day, there's something other than the money motivating you to go out there and play with the boys, right, I mean that's kind of what that's what you want. And yeah, I think an environment that's got some joy to it and some fun and some energy, I think takes a little bit of the edge off of how hard it can be. And it can be hard, you know. It's even when everything's great, even when everything works well, there's always days where it's hard. And I think that if you have a locker room in a building that's conducive to a little bit of fun and excitement and offended. I mean, I am who I am, I'm gonna I don't want to try to be anybody else. And that's just always been my personality. And I think that hopefully that that that shows up in what our team looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you ain't lying. I mean the playing football every day is it's a grinder, especially like you're saying later in the year, it gets dark a little earlier.
Speaker 2: You're feeling on your nick last week of October is like the worst the walk through today or have to lace some up.
Speaker 1: And you're right too, Like jokes you might say as a position coach or a coordinator might hit a little differently to an athlete. But if you're saying a joke as a head coach, like the athlete could be driving home like fuck does he think? I'm just like you're in your own head, But if he gives you something positive. Can remember Shanahan one time he came up all interception machine. This is like my rookie year. I had had two interceptions in a practice. I just remember just riding on Cloud nine thinking, like, you know, the head ball coach noticed me, you know. Yeah, so it's got to be like interesting knowing that your words do carry like a different weight to that part is everybody.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if I walked in one day, I walked into talked to one of the assistant coaches like I normally would like when I was a coordinator and I'm kind of busting balls, but I kind of see like the reaction on his face was like, oh, what like to do something wrong, I'm buying in trouble, And I was like, Oh, I probably shouldn't. I probably need to probably need to tone that one down, and yeah, make it, make it not feel.
Speaker 2: So tone it down or tell whoever that is, don't be so soft. Yeah, we're having a good time. It's gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: Jay would be talking about me making plays in space. I would literally just beg man, I know the front office though, the whole coaching stuff must think I just can't tackle in space.
Speaker 2: But in your head about everything, he just said that joke, Like, I know, I don't. I don't think people understand how much mental warfare goes on between players and coaches. No, I don't know if you all try to do mental warfare.
Speaker 8: But I just don't. I'd rather not. I prefer not to do that.
Speaker 2: Which is so difficult though, because you're right, like the words of a head coach, when you say anything like a noline coaches due, you could easily write that off at whatever the head coaches it to you. You're calling your girlfriend, your wife, it's two family members, Like he said this, Like what do you think good, bad or ugly? You're doing whatever you can.
Speaker 1: Tire off season, you're working on that one thing that was kind of said, right and rain forever.
Speaker 8: And then as a as as a head coach, it might even he might not even have thought twice about it, might have just been like an in passing comment. Yeah, and all of a sudden, you're just like you just all in your head about whatever it was that was said, and the head coach might have forgot even said it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talk about having fun. What's your stance on rookie shows?
Speaker 8: You love it about them, You're about them, about them pro rookie show, however, yeah is you're twenty twenty fours A but the show there's there's have not been the recentokie shows that I've been around, subpar. Need the rookies need a little help from some guys out there in the world that know what a rookie show is supposed to look like. And uh, I've just not been not been impressed with some of the things. They're just not funny. Yeah, and there's nothing worse than going Like rookies ship, you're amped up, like I can't wait to see who they who do they go after? Yeah, it's like they're kind of they get scared. You can't be scared. You should know as good as anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, you let me sit around training camp for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: You'll you'll have a few down impressions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get some manurisms of yours and I'll just go after you.
Speaker 2: I'll just go Yeah, going after the head ball coach is the best thing to do as a rookie by far, but it's also the scariest thing to do as a rookie.
Speaker 8: Also true, you.
Speaker 2: Gotta find that sweet balance being good graces with you, but also find all the possibly can.
Speaker 8: But if, if you can get a good rookie show is maybe one of the better, one of the finer things in life that you set the.
Speaker 1: Tone training camp.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's at the ending though, like you're like, everyone's kind of excited to get out of there. This is going to set the tone for the first game of the season. Yeah, all together for the last time before cuts. What's we're going to.
Speaker 1: Get If any rookies are watching this study Coach Callahan and go after him during the Rookie Show.
Speaker 2: Have to have to have to like go too hard, like make it the roast of Tom Brady, go to the family.
Speaker 8: Just just lay it all out there and just just hope the reaction is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, who are, in your opinion, the funnier guys on the team.
Speaker 8: I'm still getting to know. I'm getting to know more personalities. Is that as the days go by? It sure seems like arden Key's got enough personality for everybody, which is great. I love it. I enjoy the personality part, Like I love guys that got something to them and make it fun like that's that's awesome. I love when guys feel like they can beat themselves. Arden's probably the one that stands out the most. Taj Spears has got a good's got a good kind of a He's quiet, but he's got a little personality that pops up every now on again. Still trying to figure out which offensive lineman's got it. You know, they're so they're there. Every day is like a new day for them. Right now with with Coach Bi, I don't know if personality but uh, there's some guys I think that are that are candidates for it, but generally tends to be the defensive guys that have the most personality and then they're at least afraid to show it. So I think that there might be a few of those guys. But I'm hoping that some of these rookies come with something good in August.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what they got to be the most focused on, Like playbook comes second to the Rookie Show. To make sure that you have that rookies entertainer to make the ball club entertainment. Yeah, entertainment.
Speaker 8: We're an entertainment business exactly.
Speaker 2: With being the head coach for the first time and taking the first team meeting, addressing the team, what are the nerves like, because every head coach I've ever.
Speaker 8: Had, it's a lot. There's there's some nerves in there, for sure, I bet, because you want to make you want to make a good impression where and again, we've had like twelve team meetings since the first one. So like the the novelty does wear off, like after you get through the first one, but that first one you spend a ton of time thinking about and you just want to make sure that when you come in there that the guys look at you and go, yeah, I like this guy. I'm I'm willing to listen as you guys know. You can come in here sometimes and maybe the first one rubs you the wrong way and you're kind of like, I don't know about this cat, you know, like yeah, yeah, And so that's you just want to make an impression good enough to where you've bought everyone's attention for another week, you know, right, and hopefully they can.
Speaker 1: See you make sure has the same facial expression as the first time.
Speaker 8: You know, you're not losing the crowd, right, And I try to be my team meeting, they try to be to the point. You know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 8: I'm not a preacher, you know.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't need to. But I do have messaging that I want to get across, and so I spend a lot of time thinking about the messaging and what I'm going to say, and hopefully that in a in a very short eight to ten minutes, I can convey whatever that is for the day. And I only have one a week, so I don't overdo it. Yeah, nobody wants nobody wants to hear me talk that much. I know that.
Speaker 2: And the fall, you only have one a week in the fall.
Speaker 8: In the seasons arts, it'll be a Wednesday and a Friday Wednesday, or Friday Wednesday and Thursday to the rest of the squad. Yeah, Thursdays is the own day. And then you have something night before, which can be sometimes the shortest two minutes, or you may go a little longer if it's a depending on the mood of the team and the and the game you're getting ready to play. But try to try to limit the amount of times I have to go preach in front of everybody.
Speaker 1: What kind of coach are you? Night before a game, dude?
Speaker 2: I was just thinking, like, are.
Speaker 1: We watching a movie scene?
Speaker 8: I got that.
Speaker 1: I love something like what what's your go tos bro?
Speaker 8: I very much try to keep like the pulse of like what we might which might need for that week. You know. I did something kind of similar with A in Cincinnati on Saturday mornings. I would do this tie in of the game plan and I would mix in whatever messaging I thought was, you know, might hit home.
Speaker 1: Give an example like this messaging, Yeah, this movie scene?
Speaker 8: If it's no I used actually used quite a bit of The Man the Arena documentary one year. I kind of took pieces of it over the course of the season, and then like every other week I might have something from that that because there was just so many good things from that documentary. I thought about, like what a championship team would feel like, and so I try to use as many mediums as I can to help convey whatever message I'd be trying to convey. And I even do that now. I had one even for a rookie meeting. There's this clip on the internet with there's a ball boy a handful of years ago one of the soccer teams. I think it might have been like Tottenham, where this ball boy is like super dialed into his job and he gets the ball. It's on a throwing but the ball comes out of bounds and he has one in his hands and he's just his job is to get it to that guy as quick as possible. Well, he jumps out of his seat, tosses the ball to the guy. They throw it in on like a fast break, and they score because they catch team in transition because ball boys like on top of his shit. Yeah, you probably say it was viral and it was viral, but it's it's it's out there. And I showed it to the rookies and I was like, this is like talk about finding a role and doing it well. Like here's just ten year old ball boy or thirteen year old bah boy that knows that if I do my job really well, it's gonna help us. And yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Don't They bring them to the locker room after this. Yeah, they give him like a jersey.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and so things like things like that. It's wild. It was, I mean, it's.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: And then and then manager goes over like look at how fast and then transitioned right, balls in his hand, he's running, they're on sides and then he ends up with a hitting a man transition for a score, and like I think it was a huge game too. So then the manager's tapping them up and like things like that, if I can anything I can find, I use quotes some guys in the NBA. I've used Steph Curry, anything that reinforces the message. Like I told, I showed the rookies that, and it was like, look, man, find whatever your role is, wherever they whatever's asked of you, like make it the most important thing. And if you have a chance to make a play, then you make the play. That's how you get recognized. And so it's stuff like that. I can fire and brimstone it pretty good when I want to, but I try to save those in my back pocket form yeah, for when you really they need it.
Speaker 2: When you talk about playing the Tennessee Titans held like it was effort, toughness and they are very well coached. Yes, what are the core values you're seeking to bring in with the Tennessee.
Speaker 8: Titans with this new wave, just in terms of like what what I want our team to look.
Speaker 2: For by the things you're going to preach, Like usually a lot of times, like coaches have like these are three things that we are going to be built on as our foundation as a team, Like as you being the head coach of Tesse Titans, Like what are those three pillars.
Speaker 8: Or yeah, there's there's there's a little bit of nuance to it, but the main one is we have three c's and it's character, communication, and connected team And like those are the three things that I think matter the most is that the character guys. Are they coachable, are they dependable? Are they positive? You know what I mean? Is there are those the guys you want to be around as a teammate.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: And then when you talk about the communication part, like the best teams in the league are great communicators, verbal, visual, you know, especially up front. I use that example all the time. It's like, you got to pick up blitz Is on third down to win in the NFL, and you got to be on the same page. And sometimes it's allowed to ship on the road and you're on a silent count, and how do you how do we get to calls communicate? How great are we communicating? It also falls into the off the field part too, like when something's going on, make sure we're community. If you're going to be late to a coach on me late to the team meeting and you called me at seven thirty, that's good communication. If the meeting's at eight, I got an issue. I need help taking care of it, right, we can work through that. If you tell me eight oh five after you show up to shoe at a car issue, that's bad communication.
Speaker 2: That's a fine.
Speaker 8: That's a fine. Yeah, So that's what we're looking not to do that. So those those three season, the last one I think I've kind of touched on is that being a connected team and being a part of something that's that's bigger than yourself. Like, again, everybody's got money, everybody's got players, there's talent in the league. Every game comes down to one possession most of the time. And what's the separator And to me, it's the teams that when you look at them, you feel it when they play, You're like, man, those dudes are playing for each other, like you feel it. And you guys have been on those teams, you played against those teams, You're like like, damn, these guys are on top of it and you feel it from their sideline, you feel it from the energy when they make a play like that's those are the things that you want to see. And I think the football parts are perrequisite, like you got to be able to be detailed and have discipline. That stuff is that's like not negotiable and that's expected. These are those things. The character, the communication and being a connected team are things that I think make the difference when all that other stuff is equal.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I love that we talked about, uh the gun slingers with Stafford, Manning, Levis and Burrow, But I don't want to go. I don't want to not bring up Browning last year getting thrown into the fire in a very high pressure situation. Yeah, talk about him a little bit, because I feel like you it's like when that happened, it's like, well the Bengals, they're out of it. Yeah, but you guys, you know, obviously you didn't didn't win the Super Bowl or anything. Yeah, there was like zero pain.
Speaker 8: We were in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys were in it right there until the end. Like, talk about talk about Browning a little bit.
Speaker 8: Man, what a what a what a story? Really? I mean, he's we we we stole him off the practice squad before we played Minnesota in twenty twenty one, and we brought him in too, ultimately sort of flush him for information. You know, they cut the quarterback loose.
Speaker 2: We bring them the water board him, get him out of there.
Speaker 8: When he came in and we're like, oh, this this guy, I think is you know, we like this tape. And obviously we didn't bring him in because just for that we thought he was a good player. But but that's just how the league works. You cut guys loose. And we were playing in Week one, so we signed him and he comes in. He starts like like, Wow, this guy's really smart. And then he's a little bit undersized, and he doesn't look he's not like a outwardly great looking athlete, and you're like, all right, is this can this guy play at all? And we weren't sure. And he starts practicing and you're like, does some things that you like, you can play on time, he can process, and so we just sort of kept him and he developed and he did a really nice job. And he was with us for I think two and a half years up to the chance to play, and he never really got to play. Played a little bit of the preseason and it was like, all right, well, Jake's gonna play. Let's see, let's see what the guy's got. But we felt really confident that he would perform well because he works his ass off. He studies like crazy. And then when you look back at his career, he started for four years at Washington, they went to a rose boy. He was a good college football player, yeah, and he's got all the makeup that would make you a good player in the NFL. And he went out there, man, and he played awesome in a situation where it's hard to play like, you know, every the franchise quarterback gets hurt and like everybody's spirits are down. All of a sudden, Jake Go's out there and guys were like, oh, fuck, yeah we can do this, you know what I mean? Like yeah, like I'm not out of Yeah, we're not out of Let's go and h And he brought some some life back into the team. And I give him a ton of credit because he was really open about what was good and what was bad, like, hey, don't call that play. I don't like this play. Here's the things that I need to play.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 8: He was very vocal about what he felt like he could succeed with. And that's a ton of credit goes to him because you know, when you're in a position as a player, like you're like, oh, if I say this, they might tell me that they can't.
Speaker 1: No, you won't do it.
Speaker 8: You'd be afraid to say something you want to. You just you just want to do what's asked of you. And he goes in the first Pittsburgh game and we were kind of like, are you sure you feel good about this? And he's like, yeah, just call the game how you called it for Joe, I'll operate I'll play well.
Speaker 1: And he didn't.
Speaker 8: And he came back to the next week and is like, don't call this, don't call this, don't call this. Call these things. Give me more peer progression, give me a chance to work through a read, find me some things. And he was like, all of a sudden, it was like, oh, not thank you. This is what we need from you, and we'll do whatever it is you need to do to feel like you can play well. And so a ton of credit to him for being able to say that, but he went out there and showed that he's a legitimate quarterback in the NFL. And when I got the job, he was joking, He's like, you know, it's he was kind of messed up. He's like, I've gotten more guys have gotten the head jobs when I've played, and he's like, do people think I'm that shitty that I play well enough? And like it's now everyone's a great a great coach. And I'm like, I said, that's pretty backwards. I do agree, but hilarious, bro, yeah, because it was almost like, you know, when you get hired and everybody we're hyping everything else.
Speaker 1: It's like, I mean, Joe b went down and they were still contenders with Jake Browning. Not like shitting on Jake, but you're like everything can still.
Speaker 8: But yeah, yeah, inadvertently you do. Yeah and uh and that's so we laughed about it. But but I do think he he deserves a ton of credit for how well he played. He's kind of a self made I mean, he's worked his he's worked his tail off to get in position to when you get that opportunity to go to go play well. And he's gonna play in the NFL for a long time because of it. And I love the dude. I think he's outstanding. He's got a great personality, and I was really happy for him that he had a chance to show his talents like that, and and he was open and honest enough with us to help us put him in a position and that's ultimately our job.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but he's a good but he is a he's a good football player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, play him on the Titan someday.
Speaker 8: Who knows he's he's got.
Speaker 1: You never be an option.
Speaker 8: Thanks in your contract for like a year or two two years I think for.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, yeah, you're very aware. Yeah, so you're saying those quarterback controversy in Cincinnati right now?
Speaker 1: Is that what you do?
Speaker 8: You know what? Absolutely big debates. Who's going to be not sure, who's gonna be might might be Joe, who knows.
Speaker 2: Who knows. It's the only time we'll tell him that. Hey, Hey, you guys doing listen to an audio right now?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: Just driving to work or something like that and joining yourself. Sometimes podcasts are great, but you know what makes them, this.
Speaker 1: A little bit better.
Speaker 2: Some nicotine man. And I know those big tobacco corporations that you go into the gas station. They're super convenient, easy to grab from me. If I'm looking for a nicotine, that's not only to give me the sensation of feeling chipper and up there and feeling great all the time. I'm also looking for an opportunity to help out the mom and pop shop esque and the brand I'm holding in my hand. And you can't see me right now, but just listen to my voices I serenate you and talk about Lucy Breakers, specifically the Espress. You get up in the morning, you're a blue collar cat, it's not even sunny outside. You get in your Chevy Silverado and you have a coffee in one hand and you take two Lucy Espresso breakers and you pop those in the bottom lip. Brother, you're the rest of your day is going to If it was going to be a five out of a ten, guess what not to six out of a ten. If it's a nine out of ten, you might even be in the double digits. Dude, Let me read a couple of these things for you, and you tell me how you feel. Lucy is the obvious choice for true nicotine pouch connoisseurs. That's why they're the official nicotine pouch partner. Or bust them with the boys. Lucy pouches go up to twelve milligrams, and they go increments of two by the way, also two, four, six, eight, ten, twelve. Of those of you wondering who do don't feel like doing math today, the caps will release a burst of flavor and no ditty and helps release nicotine faster for an experience that you can't find in any other pouch gas station pouches. They get the job done. But once you've tried Lucy, brother, you won't want anything else in your back pocket. Get Lucy ships straight to your door. Visit Lucy dot Co. Forward slash busting and use promo code busting. That's b USSI in for twenty percent off your first order. Subscribe for another fifteen percent off. Shipping is always free. You're talking about thirty five percent off on a nicotine pouch that's going to elevate your day in ways you can never even imagine what a beautiful time it is to be alive with a nikky nikki a Lucy nicotine patch pouch in your mouth. Mouth is not doing good, but these nicketine patches are delicious. Lucy products are only for adults of legal age and do every order is age verified. Warning, this product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical. Right, we got through that. Let's get back to this episode and make sure you subscribe and tell a friend have a great day at work or going home wherever you're at right now. I love you, guys, see you. You talk about personalities of players, and now more than ever, it seems like the landscape of NFL is changing with all the ni all stuff in college. Guys are coming into the league with money already. Do you see that change in personalities as new guys start to come in, Yeah.
Speaker 8: You do. It's different. I mean is it is a little bit different now, Let's not pretend like guys weren't coming in the league with money before.
Speaker 2: Right, Not at UCLA obviously not definitely, certainly not there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, maybe not in Nebraska either, but unless Michigan, Michigan. I don't know. I feel like that's I wish, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wish we had that sec treatment. I got a free meal once. I bring it up all the time. One time I got a free meal. One time. That fired me up.
Speaker 8: You get like one hundred dollars handshake somewhere.
Speaker 2: No, never, I never got offered a dime, and it bugs me because I would love the opportunity.
Speaker 8: To take somebody's money.
Speaker 2: Yes, I never hear.
Speaker 1: About is they just put money like on a turnover on the sideline.
Speaker 2: You were about a coach.
Speaker 1: A thousand, and then another coach would match it, and then in college and Sue would get it. And it's like, oh, all right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because you know Sue was getting paid. You know something's happening. But Stafford, he I heard stories about him being at Georgia and be there'd be five hundred thousand dollars in his mailbox for him to stay for another year.
Speaker 8: Yes, I mean, those those are all you hear those stories all the time, Georgia, right, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: I get him and Bradford mixed up sometimes.
Speaker 1: If you had to guess, would you think that's true?
Speaker 8: I mean I think, I think. I think I think some of it gets there's they're probably like fishing stories, like the fish gets bigger as the years ago by. I think there's probably some of it. But crazy, Yeah, I'm sure at all. I'm sure they're I mean, they're not made up, like I'm sure those stories all happened pretty regularly, I would imagine. But the kids coming in now, I mean, you it's there. It's a different style, Like they've already been paid, you know, so this isn't the first time they've had money. And I think that that part is is unique, that the money thing isn't new. But what is new for them is that now they can't transfer and they are under contract, and I think that's a different mindset for them, Like they're used to being able to kind of really move, you know, wherever they want. College football transfer two three and nothing wrong with transferent, but there's it's a different mindset. Like when things are hard in the NFL, you're under contract and you're gonna get cut. You're gonna figure it out. And I think that's where it changes for guys, is that they're not used to that that binding agreement that doesn't really exist in college football anymore, and that they have to play well to get money, you know, like that's.
Speaker 2: The other In the NFL, they come up and ask for trades all the time. Yeah, your boy in Cincinnati, he said he wasn't getting paid enough, the Henderson, I mean, it's news that he asked for trade, public public knowledge clad airing the boy out. But you are constructually obligate. You publly should think about that a little bit.
Speaker 8: But I think there that is the difference, though, is that there's no like I do like there's a resilience factor to maybe some of how some of these kids have come to college where the minute they don't like something, they leave, and the adjustment period comes when they get to the NFL and it's like, well I don't like this, and it's like sorry, you know, like you you don't have a choice. Like So that part, I think is where it changes. The money part I don't think has changed kids other than they just have more experience with money, and so you're not as concerned about maybe some of the things that a kid for the first time getting money. Some of these kids are been making money for four years, right, Yeah, paying taxes, and you know that's not new for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It almost might be a good thing actually that they're making a little bit of money in college.
Speaker 8: Yeah, especially some of the the guys that are getting big money. You know, they're used to getting big money. They're probably getting big money because they're good players, and so they likely are going to get pretty good money when they get the NFL by their draft positions.
Speaker 1: So and hopefully have like the right teams kind of already kind of building and structured around themselves to make it an easy transition. You would hope.
Speaker 8: I think there is a little bit of a uh, there's some there's probably some predatory opportunities out there for guys and some of these guys in college that don't know anything, and when you're talking about putting people around you, you just hope that they're making good decisions with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta have a team, Yes, you have a team that checks everybody. Yeah, Derrick Henry, Yeah, long time time and going to be obviously in the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 1: Eventually, No, that.
Speaker 2: Was there a conversation with you and RAN. You have to try to reach out and say, hey, let's do this one more year.
Speaker 8: They had touched base, you know, RAN had a relationship with them, obviously being there for a year, and they went back and forth on what the money would look like. And we just knew we had the holes that we had to fill. The money would be allocated initially elsewhere, and the running back market went pretty good. I mean there's some guys that got paid. It was higher money than I think maybe we had projected to start across the league for the running back position. And that's good for those guys, that's great. And so when you get into those positions where you know we're trying to fill multiple holes in a free agency period, it's like where do you want to allocate the money and how do you want to spend it? And I think that I would have been absolutely open to Derek coming back. I think it felt like Derek was ready for something new. And then the money part when it happened. Those conversations go back and forth, and yeah, ultimately it was for both parties, probably the best decision at the end of the day for him and for us. But I mean he is the He was the Tennessee Titans for the better part of the last six years, probably seven years. Where I mean, that's what you thought. You got to Tennessee, you thought of Derrick Henry and look forward to the day when he his name gets to go up in that stadium because he's earned that right. Yeah, to be up there with the greats. He's he's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Getting to hang out with you at the facility and asking if you'd come on the bus. So she started to learn that you were a bit of a STOOLI in your younger days.
Speaker 8: I was, Yeah, I was. I was.
Speaker 1: I always know that you're on the bus. Did you hit the group chat up?
Speaker 8: Hey, I didn't tell anybody. Yeah, that was gonna be there's I got some old from my high school buddies will be pretty pretty fired up. Yeah that's pretty far.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was. I I feel like I was on the I was on the I was on the front end of the barstool experience. I mean, it was back when it was just a handful of those guys blogging, when it was just the blog it was it was a two thousands.
Speaker 1: The blackout party is that what it was called.
Speaker 8: Other my brother and my sisters went and went to a couple of those blackout parties. They're they're only my brother, only eighteen months younger than me, and they would always tell me about the blackout parties and you see the videos online. It was it was a it was a different time on the internet, that's for sure. But yeah, I remember. I mean those guys were obviously Big Cat and and Dave and those guys. I've been reading those things for probably pretty close to when they from when they started, and laughed for a lot of laughed a lot for a long time reading that stuff. So, uh yeah, I'm I'm a I'm a stueleie. I've been. I've been one for a really long time. I feel like it's got to be a weird part that, like I'm be forty years old in June, and I think there's like this whole generation of like middle aged stoolies that were there, no question. I mean, it's like, man, it's been theyve been doing this a long time. It's yeah, like every.
Speaker 2: Time I see Bake Cat, he's got more and more gray hair.
Speaker 8: You just I can relate, I can relate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who was your favorite who's your favorite personality? Well whole up before you did.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should tear talk this for him. Okay, are you are you a familiar tear talk?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: So tier talk is we're just based. It's a ranking system. Oh yeah, you're gonna start with three and work us up to one. You can give as much context or as those context as you want. The tier talk will be your favorite barstool personalities.
Speaker 1: All right, will be got there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you start with three.
Speaker 8: Start with three you can.
Speaker 2: Give an honorable mention to if you're having a hard time.
Speaker 8: Okay, I mean I would probably be the originals of the guys that I'm probably talking about. I would say, I would say my three. Okay, three would be I'll probably never be invited back here, But three would probably be Dave probably never let me back here.
Speaker 2: That's because he's too low or Dave gets gets mad at us a lot.
Speaker 1: Both.
Speaker 8: I'm a big I'm a big I'm a big supporter, so I want to appreciate it. I would say two would be KFC and loveless and reading KFC's blogs back in the day, and then one would be big Cat. I thought Big Cat was his humor and my humor were very similar, and so it was going, Bro, he is, he's a machine man. I don't know how he does. I don't know how he keeps it's I mean, he's like he's like Internet Kobe or something like. He just got this.
Speaker 1: That his recall incredibility.
Speaker 2: You'll have a conversation with him and four years later he'll remember it. There was a clip that came out yesterday about him and KB on the YAT and it was back in October about him putting a razor blade in some of kb's food and eventually he's gonna give it to him with the calendar year, and he did it yesterday.
Speaker 1: He's like an elephant, Bro, he is.
Speaker 2: He really is an elephant. I thought that was so he actually.
Speaker 1: Truth be told. He's got a question that he proposed to you.
Speaker 2: Is this the Is this the one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the one that we don't.
Speaker 7: Like see PC the BC. First of all, thank you for being a stoolian supporting us all these years. I got a question for you on taking a piss while I do this. I got a question for you on the bus.
Speaker 5: We'd love to have you on the show, and I was looking at the calendar, June twenty fifth, If you want to come to Chicago, we'd love to have you, whole family, anyone.
Speaker 7: Wants to come up June twenty fifth, come to Chicago.
Speaker 1: We'll do an interview, we'll do the Gauntlet, We'll have a great time.
Speaker 5: So that's I guess My question is.
Speaker 2: Can you come to Chicago June twenty fifth and come on pmtant to some context.
Speaker 1: The context on that is our Beer Games Championships of the World is on June twenty fifth. He is, he's on the list. He can't he's back out. He can't back out. He can't bas he has he can't back out. Yeah, and he's got this running bit happening right now that he can't back out. And since we've had to do a couple hurt we've had a couple bumps in the road with the Beer Olympics, with the Beer Games. Sure, he likes to give the boys a hard time. So yeah, I guess he wants you to come on part of my take, which I'm sure that's a yes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, June twenty fifth.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to. He's busy, busy.
Speaker 2: We also it's vacation time for y'all, too right, it is it is.
Speaker 8: I'm moving. I am moving in that very short time frame from Cincinnati finally down here. I'm living in a house by myself, in an empty house with a bed. That's the life, that college lifestyle.
Speaker 2: The matches on the floor, wires everywhere, TV lifestyle.
Speaker 8: Sitting on like a folding chair to watch TV.
Speaker 2: You kind of do enjoy it a little bit. Huh.
Speaker 8: There's part of it that brings back to your roots, no doubt. But yeah, that might be a tough swing, but we can look into it.
Speaker 1: Maybe next off season, maybe next off the next off season, because they will take you out to Chicago and just let whoever your boys are. You heard him saying, whatever wants to come, you should come with an entire crew.
Speaker 2: And I'll say this about Chicago. Their HQ there is incredible. It's like a fantasy factory basketball. They have literally everything you want, basketball court, golf simulator, Chef Donnie and the corner will make you whatever you want. It's some of the best food you'll ever have. It's like the tidest facility with out the indoor, without the football field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's crazy. It is.
Speaker 8: It is very cool.
Speaker 2: It's very cool. You'd really enjoy it. Cool.
Speaker 8: My you know, my whole family is from Chicago.
Speaker 1: Really yeah.
Speaker 8: My dad's born and raised his South Side of Chicago. My grandfather was a Chicago cop. Okay, but old Irish Chicago cop.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice. Are you you grew up a Bears fan?
Speaker 8: I did grow up a Bears fan until obviously I became a fan of my dad wherever we moved to. But when my dad was coaching in college at University Wisconsin, that was like the Bears were you know, he still I did still watches like every White Sox game. Oh really, Oh yeah, not very good.
Speaker 2: It runs deep in Chicago.
Speaker 8: Deep is deep. So my whole family, my everybody, my mom, mom's from the North Side, the whole family from Chicago.
Speaker 1: Were you just a massive fan of your dad growing up? Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah. He was always the man always. I mean it's you know, yeah, through you know.
Speaker 2: Years where you're like he doesn't know everything.
Speaker 8: I never I know I did not really? Oh yeah, I mean, god, I need some not I mean so well, I'll say this like my dad was. My dad is an intimatemidating personality, and I was the oldest of four, and so I didn't ever have It was like I was scared to death to make a mistake because I you know, you ever hear him, yeall, he got a real loud voice and it's intimidating. Yeah, And I did not want to get I didn't want to get in trouble. It's all my friends be like, dude, you got to Like I had like a ten thirty curfew in high school for a while, and all my boys, you gotta rebel, don't you can't. They're like they're trying. Well, you know, it's like, I mean, ten thirties kind of early to that is it's early.
Speaker 1: But this is weekend curfew.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, this is all the time curf Like this is yeah.
Speaker 2: Seven old lights. Yeah, the game's over, You're going home home.
Speaker 8: No parties for me, none.
Speaker 2: That's the best. We don't forget that.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 8: But so that was the I was scared to death of Like I was not rebellious to my dad because I knew I watched my dad coach these guys for all these years and how he his demeanor and his style. I was like, I don't I don't need to cross that. I don't need those problems.
Speaker 1: Growing up, were you like, were you a troublemaker or a straight shooter? The whole time?
Speaker 8: I was pretty straight shooter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I had enough. I had enough, probably enough mischief, but not anything serious enough to really get in trouble.
Speaker 2: What is the most devious thing you ever did as a young team? Probably just tp a house, Probably egged the house. That's a that's his next step. That's egging is one thing.
Speaker 1: He'll throw the toilet paper at the tree, but the minutes might gets out of carton and eggs. He's probably thinking, I want to He's the first.
Speaker 8: One for me. Yeah, I can't go that far. Yeah, Yeah, that was It was nothing more like nothing more than that. It was never anything.
Speaker 2: I had fun, classic boys being boys stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you ever get in big trouble?
Speaker 8: I did? Yes, I did one, and I was like middle school probably m hmm. I I can't really want to tell the story, but I am because it's funny and whatever.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: When I was in middle school, we me and my little neighbor next door, my buddy, I used to run around all the time. We wesed. We decided we were gonna make a torch parents weren't home. We run on so we wrap all this toilet paper on a stick and dip it in gasoline and we're like swinging it around. We're middle school what I gave and we're swinging it around and we're having a hell of the time. And we're in these woods behind our house, and we try to be responsible. We had water, put put the put the torch in the water.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: It's and and I look out like an hour later, and nobody my parents were home. I look out like an hour later, and the entire for the entire force is on fire behind our house. I mean it was like fire department. I mean it's like it's like flame. Yeah, and we you know, we didn't mean to obviously, but but it's like there's you know, it's a patch of I mean it wasn't small. It wasn't like a whole fun but I mean there was trees on I mean, it was on fire. The fire warman had to come and put it out, and uh. And but at the time my parents weren't home. I was there, but I was home by myself, and the fire department came, they put it out, and they left, and I was like, I'm in the clear. They're never going to know. And so my buddy whose parents were home, they saw it and they put the clamps on him and he cracked.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, he cracked. He definitely boy cracked. Yeah, did you have a talk with him after my brother?
Speaker 1: You got it?
Speaker 8: Like, come on, man, how did you get him to crack? It's so easy because we were like relatively good kids. Like, it wasn't like he was. We weren't trying to do anything wrong.
Speaker 1: I think he was.
Speaker 8: But then so my parents know. And then my dad asked me on multiple occasions, hey, do you know anything about what happened back there behind the house? You Nope, no idea. I mean lied to his face, lied to his face, And I thought I was getting away with it, and little did I know, I was just getting set up. That was just he was just stringing me along, just waiting. And that was the most mad I think I've ever seen him, not because of what we did, but because I lied to him about and he gave me ample opportunities to tell him the truth, and I just stuck with it.
Speaker 1: So he did it a few different occasions, maybe the first time he let it pass. I'll see if he thinks about it a little bit more, old man, that's a vet move.
Speaker 2: That is a vet move.
Speaker 8: So when you when you wonder why I probably wouldn't rebel. When I was in high school, I saw that and I was like, nope, no, thanks, No, I don't need those problems.
Speaker 2: That's a savvy dad move. My dad would go out of town in high school and he'd like, you're not all out in the house. I go to your mom session all in the house. And one time we had a party and I came home and I was like, you you've been in the house at all. I was like no, But he set up like T shirts and certain things in parts of the house. I was I was just a little bit dirty. But he remembered every spot he put it in, so if it was moved it all. When he got back, he know somebody was in the house. I folded. It was like ten people at the house too. It wasn't even a cool party. It was a kickback, kickback. But yeah, man, dads are good like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Billy ever get you? Oh yeah, yeahsage that one that comes to my mind. I think I've tolded before, but my parents ri ode of town because my brother I'm a junior in high school. So my brother, he's a sophomore, absolute stud wrestler, he was. My parents said that I had to wrestle that year, be grounded all of winter. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. My dad said it helped me in football, which there is truth the wrestling helping in football. Yeah, But my brother had a It was my it was my first week weekend, like on the squad and they're wrestling your boy JV junior and I thought it was so disrespectful. But brother, Yeah, my brother, who's a sophomore there, traveled out to Kansas City for this uh wrestling tournament for the varsity team. And so I'm just back at the house by myself. So I throw, you know, I throw a party, nice little banger, and I'm talking it's ever clear. It's it's the cheapest of the cheap.
Speaker 2: The most of the most, the plastic stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, it was rowdy to where basically I had to be on the bus at like five point thirty in the morning the next morning to go to the JV wrestling tournament. And we were up all night and I mean we're you know, we did I driven, we take somebody home and drop them off there puking in the driveway. As we're dropping them off, f I'm like, hey, you gotta hurry, like we have to leave so I can make the bus. And I'm still sauced from the night, and uh, we're riding up. I'm trying to like get some sleep. It's like an hour and a half bus ride. And then I start texting the boys like I didn't clean anything up, and my parents are gonna get home before our bus gets back from the tournament. So just terrible planning on my part. So I'm texting like Logan and John and the boys. So I clean it up, and they did their absolute best. They got some stuff messed up, but they did what they could to clean up the place. Well. I get back, by the way, one the JV wrestling tournament did not get scored on hungover, so just destroyed. But I get back and dude, my mom finds this. There's a condom sitting out on the end table that was being played with because forty year old Virgin had came out and he was playing Aquaman on his hand with the condom and my boy was doing that. I mean, there was girls over and there's fun to be had, but that particular loss that we took was one that shouldn't have even been taken, you know what I mean. And it was not fun. It was not fun. My dad was one of those where it was the same thing. I never wanted to be in trouble by my parents. And I remember again another another night where we got where we got caught drinking and partying and stuff, and my parents came over and Logan, my buddy, he's like my best friend and his mom were pulling in the driveway and she's like, you guys want to have a fun party. Boys will have a party and just sit down on the grass. We're all like wind up sitting down like you know, Indian style, and all your parents are coming over. We got you motherckers type of thing. My dad comes over and Bro like you know your boys, got like tears in his eyes, Like I'm like, Dad, I'm not going home, and he like takes his glasses off. He's on like the other side of the dining room table and we're in Logan's house and he's like, son, you're coming home and starts like walking around and I just start like going around the table with it. Oh, Bro, but it was not good. It was We've had We've had some runnings back in the day in all and my dad it's always the same speech, like you got the world ahead of you, like you have at this point, I had like one offer from like Illinois. Yeah, a dad, that's a good call by dad, Illinois case stayed at the time, and he was like, you're gonna you're gonna mess this up, like you're gonna fuck this off. And but we had we had some running some stories that definitely come to my mind, and I'm like, fuck, the boys were in some situations. Now. You never want to piss off your parents.
Speaker 8: No, not not if you especially when you got one that's not one you want to mess with either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, you know there's a story I told her. My dad He's like, you ever want to shot at the title? You just let me know. And he's like this close to him and he just doesn't blow me kiss, but he just goes and in my face and I'm like, all right, all right, dad, And you ever want a shot at the time A senior, Oh, a senior. You should have swung that, man, Bro, I don't there's a different now, I would you know out of respect. It would never happen. I would obviously take take advantage of him now, but dude, there was I mean, as long as you could have respect for an old man on beating your ass, he had every bit of it up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not gonna lie to you guys like I wouldn't be surprised like my dad could.
Speaker 2: So probably with my ass.
Speaker 1: You don't want to Bill, Bill?
Speaker 8: Might you think he would?
Speaker 1: Bill? But this, I mean yoga is don't sleep on yoga, but this man's a yoga at six am probably every morning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just zen Oh yeah Bill, Yeah, Bill Kellen. Yeah he can do the splits and handstands and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I I had no idea.
Speaker 8: Like I don't. You don't want to mess I wouldn't mess with him. Yeah I would.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Yeah, you know you're good. That's the thing too. With like Bill, Like you know, he carries this intimidating demeanor, but you know when he's saying something to you, he has he has your respect because you know, in his world he's putting in all of that work, not just in studying, but in lifestyle with the yoga and watching him prep all the way up until kickoff, like laying on his back and just like studying his notebook and writing down final notes. And he is the man like I've always had a lot of respect for Bill.
Speaker 8: I appreciate glad.
Speaker 1: I never got to you, never had to partake in his individual drills. But he always loved and the sled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always loved the Bertha and Olga Olga.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: God did he create those.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he invented the sled.
Speaker 2: Do we invent the actual sled or actual sled?
Speaker 8: The sled that they were hitting, no ship, Yeah, that actual actual invention of the sled.
Speaker 2: Do we have as Yeah, this is a wild j C is a he that's a unit of a man. Yes, and he's being he got folded the first time he see him starting to figure it out, and they figured it out. There's no way anyone ever does good on that the first time.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 8: No, And that's when my dad's laughing at him because they he bet him. Jasey's like, no, I got I'll get it, I'll move and my Dad's like.
Speaker 1: Okay, just hands in his pockets.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but yeah, they they invented that sled when he was in Washington.
Speaker 2: That's that's impressive. Right there resetting the hits.
Speaker 8: They call it taking another bite, So he takes another bite and gets going. But that sled he he worked with Ray Crowd, the company, and they they sort of developed it together and and made that that sled. The angles and the and the handles where your hands fit, and like just it feels more like what a defensive lineman feels like coming off the ball versus like the old squared up sleds.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with j C drafting him, getting your first opportunity to get your hands on him a little bit, is there anything that surprised you at him that you do think that maybe he didn't have or is he.
Speaker 8: Has advertised as advertised? I mean, we felt like there was there was two linemen that we felt like we're worthy of top ten picks, and that's Joe Alton and JC and the two guys that we were like, either one of those guys will happily take yeah, if they're available to us. And thankfully j C was. And he's everything we thought he was gonna be. And he's got a super high ceiling because you just he's just got all these physical tools that you he doesn't even really know how to use. Them all yet, you know, but yeah, super talented, great kid, all the things you could want in an offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Was there a fear for you him playing his whole career on the right side, now moving him to left.
Speaker 8: No, because you know, one, it's been done before, guys have transitioned from left to left. He played left in high school, so it's not like he's never been in a left handed stance. Played four years to Alabama because he had to with Evan Neil and I think it was Tyler Steen maybe, But so they had guys that left and then they had a five star recruit come in and he'd already played a couple of years over there, and they were like, well, this is our chance to get our best five guys. Well, you're comfortable they will leave you there. But he's fully capable of playing left tackle. I think he's probably comparable to like what Tyron Smith was. Tyrann came out as a right tackle, played right tackle for a year in the league, and they moved to left in that transition. Obviously that worked out great for him and for them. You know, he just did it with Jedrick Wilson in Cleveland, which had played on the right in Alabama and played left and he got to Cleveland for the last four years now, so not unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's got the talent to do it, so that's awesome. I'm glad to see her that he's a good dude, because I worried those top notch SEC schools after dealing with Isaiah Wilson in twenty twenty. Sure, that was a horrible experience for everybody involved in the Titans.
Speaker 8: Buildings from Afart seemed like that was not a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: No, it was not, But he does seem JP was with him. JP's not in here. JP was with him at IMG and he says he's an awesome guy. He was, dude. Yeah, an IMG two academy. The they have like leadership, they have like mindset classes.
Speaker 8: It's a sports factory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We always talked to Tyler Booker who was at Alabama with him, and the way he was talking about mindset and meditation and all that. It was like eye opening to see that this young cat has all these tools already. Yeah, it's because IMG.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that he's and he was a numb one recruit. It's not like he's nombre recruit in the country. He goes to Alabama, it's like his he's known nothing but success. Yeah, and sometimes there's there's something to that. I think it was cool though. The other day, after the first practice, he struggles with the sled and he's kind of kind of made him mad, like he's a little bit disappointed he couldn't do it the right way right away. And so it's like five o'clock. They had the rookie minie camp in the morning. This was on Friday. They appracticed in the morning. They're done at like about five o'clock and sit in my office and look outside and j C's out there like running one hundred yard sprints and then he's like mosing down to where the sled's at, and all of a sudden he starts hitting it, says by himself, And all of a sudden, I walk next door. I'm like, rand, should I stop him. He's like let him go for a minute and just just let him do his thing. And but he's out there in the afternoon, mad that he didn't do well enough, and he's out there working again. I'm like, that's that's when you're like, Okay, this is the right makeup like this guy's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's as a juicy yeah. As a head coach, you got to look at that and be like, that's the guy we just drafted. That's awesome, unbelievable feeling.
Speaker 8: That's awesome. And but then there's also the flip side of it, is like, dude, you're gonna get plenty of work. You might just want to take the recovery when you get it.
Speaker 2: But what a good first impression.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I mean it was that that goes a little way, and it was every day after that where he'd be out like you just it's like part of his routine. And when you see a young player, it's got some routine where it's like I need to go do this, this and this in the afternoon because that helps me get ready for the next whatever it is. At least there's some thought process behind it, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, that'll do.
Speaker 8: You'll be able, you can be alright.
Speaker 2: That's got a fire.
Speaker 8: Fire.
Speaker 1: Titans fans so much looking for an assist with your credit card but can't get a hold of anyone. Luckily, with twenty four to seven US based live customer service from Discover, everyone has the option to talk to a real person anytime, day or night. Yes, you heard that right. You can talk to a real human and customer service anytime. Sounds like a real game changer if you ask the boys, make the right call and get the service you deserve With Discover limitations apply see terms that Discover dot com slash credit card.
Speaker 2: We have two massive Titan fans sitting on this bus right now, Jack McPherson and Garrett Hargas. They've been Titans fan since the beginning. Boys, do you have any questions for coach CALLI?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I do, Jack Parson, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Jack?
Speaker 6: Lifelong Titan fans, Super excited to have here on the bus and behind the range of the Titans. My question, with the significant upgrades we've gotten in the wide receiver room recently, what is your plan regarding trailing Burk's with.
Speaker 7: Him only having one TD in twenty two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I know you've been asked this before in the media, but would love to hear it first and from you.
Speaker 8: Sure, I think that's a that's a topic of conversation these days. I'll tell you this, I only know what I've seen of him. Obviously, I know that what precedes him just because I've watched it and I understand it. But from what we see on a day to day basis with Tray, he's been phenomenal. Like his work ethic, the things that he's done, does everything we've asked. He's got unbelievable physical talent, and it's almost it's a personal challenge to me and to our staff is how do we find the best role for Trey to come help us? Like I think he can be a good player, I do think guys getting these situations sometimes, for example, you know the trade AJ and they draft him, there's just an intense amount of pressure on him to be AJ or to replace AJ. And I think that that wears on guys sometimes when it doesn't go well to start, and it's hard to be a really good player at receiver as a rookie. I think it's hard. I think it's a difficult task, and so for him there might have been a compounding factors of all that pressure he felt. And then to be able to go play fast and play aggressive and be free of that, I think is hard. So what I'm hopeful for is that the addition of these veteran players that we have in here a new lease for him in terms of all I know is what he's shown me, and I don't make any judgments on what's happened before. And that opportunity to reinvent yourself in a sense, I think is going to be really good for him. And I've been impressed with what he's done so far and I think he can play. But it's like a personal challenge for me to find a place for him to have some success because he's got a talent and ability to do it.
Speaker 7: That's awesome.
Speaker 6: My second part question as well, who what credentials do I need or who do I need to talk to to be able to be the twelfth Titan and swing that sort of honor put in the middle.
Speaker 8: Of the You know, I've not experienced this yet, so you might have to.
Speaker 6: It's okay, it's the first thing they do right before the coin toss, and usually it's like an Eddie George or a Javon curse. But what about Jack McPherson from Nashville, Tennessee swinging that sword? Also one request again, you've never experienced this. We need to bring back the OG paintrain video.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, this is OG Paintrain video does have to come back.
Speaker 6: I don't know what happened if it was a copyright issue, but there was an original video they played before every fourth quarter of every.
Speaker 7: Game, and it needs to come back.
Speaker 6: I know if there's any Titans fans listening, they're turning this up and going, come on, come on, Callahan.
Speaker 2: All right, key, they're calling them Kelly. A couple of things right here, Jack, while he's answering the credential part of that question, can you pull up the pain train?
Speaker 8: I'd like to see this.
Speaker 2: Jack is a guy. If you give him a reward at the end of a tunnel, he will work endlessly. Rich Eisen has not come on our show for almost three years now, and he was told if he tweets at rich Eyesen every day until he comes on the show, we will gift him a Chevy Silverado. We're at day what three something? Today was excuse me? See three years and I got mixed up with this.
Speaker 1: This is the O. G.
Speaker 2: Paine train.
Speaker 8: But yeah, Terry, is this like Terry Tate?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, office Linebacker.
Speaker 8: I used to love those commercials.
Speaker 7: You're gonna have to put on headphones, I believe you want to hear.
Speaker 2: That's what this is great because they throw a little Johnny Cash in here. This is awesome.
Speaker 4: I started over Jack.
Speaker 8: When did they stop playing.
Speaker 1: This two years ago? Years ago?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there there's a version of it. It's similar.
Speaker 2: But people are saying ever since the one left the building, they couldn't play that anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying it. But we bring the O G video back Titan super.
Speaker 8: Bowl four, Well, I'll do some research on that, Okay. I gotta figure out why it went away in the first place. Yeah, there's nobody anymore because I played a Terry Sate video one time from the guys. How the players looked at me like.
Speaker 1: I forget he can hear me? I told him, I told I told him. We had a we had our twisted question. I said, that's the one you got to ask, and I said, we can't let Mitch talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mitch michows are twisted questions and it's been it's been tough unless he has helped with people in the DMS. Twisted Tea is a refreshing hard ice team made with real brew tea and five percent alcohol. Full of flavor and very refreshing. Twisted Tea goes down smooth, no carbonation would make which makes it easy to drink all day long. Twisted you feel celebration of extreme fandom on game date is a perfect beverage for a game day, whether tail getting a parking lot, watching at a bar, or watching with friends at home. Twisted tea is their turnaper game day. Keep it twisted, Grab a refreshing twist ted today. First question, how many Super Bowls do the Tennessee Titans have? They don't have any right they could have had one, because in twenty nineteen, Mike Rable, the head coach of the Tennessee Titans, sat on this bus and said he would cut off his dick for a Super Bowl. Now that starts off two and four ends up? Are you fucking I'm good that team starts off I'm trying for rst. That team starts off two and four ends up going to the AFC Championship Game, beating and ending a Patriots dynasty in the wildcard and then taking down the one seed Baltimore Ravens with Lamar Jason this first MVP trophy before the Kansas City Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium wearing the same uniforms. Mike Vrabel was asked, you said you cut your dick off for a super Bowl? Is that still the case, to which he said, it's a joke. We were up ten zero in the first quarter, end up losing that game and obviously not going to the Super Bowl. My question, my twisted question for you, sir, are you willing to cut your dick off for a Tennessee Titan Super Bowl? Got two kids, two beautiful children.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I can. I don't know if I can commit to that part. I got young kids.
Speaker 2: As this twisted question, Yeah, what are you willing to do for a Tennessee Titans Super Bowl?
Speaker 8: I'd be willing to do quite a bit. Would you take off a limb like a finger, let's say whole hand like Ronnie Lott style.
Speaker 1: Let's say whole hand.
Speaker 2: Would you hold hand? Yeah, your dominant hand.
Speaker 8: My dominant hand for super Bowl? Yeah, for the ten See Titans.
Speaker 2: As the head coach.
Speaker 8: That would be pretty That would be pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: Old man gets one.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jack McPherson gets one.
Speaker 8: That's the most important, most important.
Speaker 2: Garrett Hargas gets one. Sorry you didn't speak, I was wrapped up.
Speaker 1: Would you take off that dominant hand? M hmm.
Speaker 8: That would be tough, That would be tough to that would be tough to offer up. But in fairness to the commitment, I could, I could be if that's what it meant, I would. I would give it some consideration.
Speaker 2: That this is a answer no question. Are you willing to now that we've narrowed it down to a dominant hand, would you cut off your right hand for a Tennessee Titans Super Bowl?
Speaker 8: I cannot cut off my right hand because now here's the problem. Here's the problem. I get into that same situation again and someone says, I heard you would cut your hand off. Yeah, you'd have to have some incredible commitment to the process.
Speaker 2: How about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you finally do it, and then you could bag then you.
Speaker 8: Could well afterwards, then you can back with the commit what's the fun in that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Two options? I'm gonna give you two options. There's a classic locker room where a gun to your head, you have to choose one. Yeah, would you rather for a Titan Super Bowl, lose one testicle or get a busting with the boys. Tramp Stamp Championship twenty twenty four tramp stamp on your low back?
Speaker 8: Oh, I'll do I'll do the tramp stamp. Yeah, I could do that. We got. I did a tattoo for it.
Speaker 1: Took us a couple of ways when he said a little too easy tramp stamp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no problem, he's actually a tattoo right there.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 8: Yah, you can do it over the one already.
Speaker 2: Get Yeah, Garrett, I did not give you opportunity to time out, time out, time out.
Speaker 1: He never got a chance to answer the uh to say if he's going to bring back pain Train or Jack an opportunity to maybe one day swing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he told me. He told me to a swish. I was like, we're getting right into it, right, that is that's my fault. I'm realizing what I gotta do the research.
Speaker 8: On the video.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pain details that because.
Speaker 8: I don't know what. I've never even heard of it. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: So let's let me it plays in the fourth quarter, right Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh is that on the fourth quarter, like like renegade style in Pittsburgh Like that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that's to kick off that fourth quarter.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I hear that.
Speaker 1: You know. The fans want to maybe you ask questions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I can do I can. I can at least give you that. I'll look into it.
Speaker 6: That's all I'm asking yeah, George, the swords new for me too.
Speaker 8: I gotta figure out what.
Speaker 6: And maybe the sword just so it's a little bit more enticing for y'all's demographic. Maybe we bring Will and Taylor X Titans out there too, then they can help and we can all as a team slam that sword.
Speaker 7: In the ground.
Speaker 2: We just both get on the knee and handed to Jack, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's exactly Jack.
Speaker 2: And hold it together and put around boys twelfth Man then just King Arthur. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, g did you have anything?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I got a question.
Speaker 9: So, with the addition to the weapons on offense and a unfortunate Titans fan base that can be fair weathered, what can the fan base look forward to this coming season.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that we're gonna have a I think we have a team of guys that are that are hungry to prove I know not I know the perception of us outside of of our building is not high. I think we have a lot of people that don't think that we're gonna be much and I think that's where we want to be right now, and then we have a chance to to prove a lot of people, A lot of opinions wrong. I think we're made I think we have a team that's made up to do it. You're gonna have it. They're gonna play hard as hell, there's gonna be I think we're gonna have fun playing together. I think you're gonna see the energy and the connection amongst the team. And at the end of the day, the guys that we brought in he pair them with the guys in the locker room is is we got some guys that play football particular way. And that's as as Dinard Wilson, our defensive courtinator, says, we've got some dogs and he says d A w G. And that stands for disciplined assholes with grit, and I like that. But I think that's the image that especially on defense too, with with lagerious and cheeto ating them at corner, Uh you a big sweat and there in the middle and Sebastian Joseph Day and your pair them with Jefferin. I think there's some really cool things happening on defense that I'm really excited about. And so again I can't make predictions and promises and proclamations, but as far as the people and what the team looks like, I think you're gonna it's gonna be a product that people are gonna be excited to.
Speaker 2: Come watch, show up to the games.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 8: I said, Look, I said I said it in my opening press conference. I said it like we need the city of Nashville and Titans fans like we need them. We need the stadium to be a place that people come to and are like, oh man, I don't want to go play in Nashville. Like that's what we're looking for. We need that environment. So all the fans, Titans fans out there listening to come on, come on, man. We need everybody on board, and hopefully you get in early enough and you don't get accused of jumping on the bandwagon when when things go right.
Speaker 2: That's well, yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: All core of a Titans fan base out there for sure.
Speaker 2: Every yeah, every franchise has there five percent like that five percent crazy fan base, and the Titans five percent is strong.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 2: It's they're crazy people in the best way possible.
Speaker 8: That's what you need. That's that's what makes the NFL the NFL.
Speaker 2: Ye Matt neely Man, Yeah, he was the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 8: This is awesome, This is fun.
Speaker 1: An hour forty with the head ball coach.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Bill listens.
Speaker 8: I can't promise you that I'll listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope he does. Just know that we might have to say hey, will say you hope he listens to that.
Speaker 8: I think we can probably make that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 2: We will be flying the Titans flag all season long. I love on this bus. We'll be supporting you the whole time. We appreciate you coming.
Speaker 8: Appreciate that from from you guys, and thanks for having me on. Man, this is black.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you enjoyed it. Subscribe brief I've starts. Big hugs, Tenny kisses