Speaker 1: Hey there, folks.
Speaker 2: It is Wednesday, February fourth, and we are getting news this morning that there is another another ransom note in the case of Nancy Guthrie. Yes, another news outlet is reporting it also received a ransom note, but unlike TMZ, they decided not to make it public. And with that, Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes is one of our first thoughts when TMZ started reporting yesterday they got a ransom note, like, are the police okay with that? And it sounds like they were not with this new information we got and Robes, doesn't that make sense?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 3: And look, we talked about how, yes, there is a balance between getting out the latest information and information you have versus protecting the integrity of an investigation.
Speaker 4: And especially look, it shouldn't matter, but when it is a member of your own.
Speaker 3: Industry, so to speak, as broadcasters, I don't know. Just to think that perhaps, I mean, I would think Harvey Levin knows Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 4: They have probably been in similar circles or have yes cross paths.
Speaker 3: Of course they know each other, and just out of deference to the fact that her mother is missing and putting something out potentially could hinder or impede the investigation into finding her.
Speaker 4: That takes things to a whole other level. It's beyond just.
Speaker 3: What the legality is, and it's more about what your duty is as a human.
Speaker 1: And we try and we really went out of our way.
Speaker 2: We didn't want to be critical of Harvey or DMZ or it's a news organization. They break plenty of news and we know that, but this was a really tough one. And now you just what was the word you just used? What the sheriff using the word compromise? Is it going to compromise the investigation? So let's tell you what we are this morning. Where we are is not really much of an update from authorities about their investigation into where Nancy Guthrie, the eighty four year old mother of Savannah Guthrie, Today's show host, who's been missing since well the last scene last Saturday night. We reported missing on Sunday, so Roobes they gave us an update in a press conference yesterday. And the thing that jumped out he was asked twice about have you received a ransom demand a ransom note? He jumped over that question really quickly in a way that didn't make sense, and he never would say no. So that stood out and started being reported on. How long after that did we get word about.
Speaker 4: TMZ I believe within an hour?
Speaker 2: Okay, within an hour. So Harvey Levin goes on and he posts it and he also does a video saying we have received an email, a note demanding millions in bitcoin with a specific crypto curup bitcoin addressed that they said was legitimate. Okay, fine, well here we go. This morning, Robes the sheriff Department put out a statement saying, we are aware of those reports that are out there that actually made sense. Well, now Robes a local affiliate, and Tucson is saying they got a note as well.
Speaker 3: That's right, So this was a local CBS station and the sheriff did confirm this that they too received a ransom note. But they received a note on Monday, and instead of putting it out for their viewers and publicizing it, they turned it over immediately to the Sheriff's department. And the Sheriff's department confirmed that and said that they did show the note to Savannah and to the Guthrie families that they were aware, and they asked the CBS affiliate not to broadcast the contents of the note or even acknowledge that the note was sent to them.
Speaker 2: And they didn't which and they and I sitting here, that is absolutely the right thing to do. This is a captivating story right now, there's a national mystery, and there is a life on the line of some naughty the mother of somebody that we're all familiar with. Okay, this is where we are, and this is why it's a big story. Robes, I know this is a big scoop, right you got it in your hands. This is a big story, man. We're gonna get a lot of attention, a lot of clicks if we put this out. But that local affiliate did exactly what we talked about yesterday.
Speaker 1: You've got to just say, authorities, whatever you all.
Speaker 3: Want us to do, because the life of Nancy Guthrie Trump's anything else truly in this story.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Harvey Levin and TMZ did try to not get specific about some of the details, but they certainly released other details, including the demands. They didn't give a specific number, but they led enough details out that I'm sure the Sheriff's department was not happy about.
Speaker 1: Well they even so, we are you say, they try not to.
Speaker 2: They gave millions of dollars bitcoin address said or else in the note suggested that there was a timeline.
Speaker 1: They gave a lot of switch.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then they said that there were details about either what she was wearing other details about what they left behind in the crime scene that only somebody who would have actually been involved in this crime would have known.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: They gave enough specifics that it could be determined whether or not this ransom note was legit or not coming from.
Speaker 4: The actual suspects or suspect.
Speaker 3: And so yes, even giving that lent it created this notion that this was potentially a credible ransom note. So that makes it even more concerning that it would have been released or broadcast or any information would have been given about it if they really did think, hey, this legitimately could be from the person or persons who have Nancy Guthrie.
Speaker 2: And the sheriff wouldn't go as far as to say if those details did match up. So all he pretty much did was acknowledged the note but didn't want to give details, and again he said he does not know. He was asked specifically, is this going to compromise that I don't know, and sure, hope not, but compromised this if if you think it slightly could have an impact on whether or not that woman lives or dies, you have to defer to police, you do on this, And look, I guess there are other arguments to be made. And again, Harvey and them do some great breaking news work over there. So we try try try here, Ropes as best we can with a lot of media stories, not to just flat out criticize and go after in that way. It's just I guess, Robes, we would have made a different decision, and we've been a part of newsrooms that would make a different decision. And here we are sitting in the middle of this when the sheriff is even and Robes, now we can give him a little bit of a break. We were saying it before we knew about the ransom, like, hey, fine, we want the information, but if you're telling us this is all you can tell us to help save this woman's life, then we'll accept it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean that's the role of the media in this is, yes, to keep the focus on the story, to get national attention, or at least certainly attention from the folks who might have some real information to offer, either through surveillance cameras or something they saw or something they inadvertently captured. So the role of the press is huge in a story like this because, yes, family members want the attention, they want the focus, they want the pressure, even on police, because time is not on anyone's side when someone's missing. So there is a legitimate, important role for the press to play. But then if you are given something, and this has happened in other cases where whoever is behind some crime somehow reaches out or leaks something to the press, the point is, yeah, the right thing to do is to give it to police and let them tell you whether or not it's okay to talk about it, it's okay to release it and look. According to CBS, they reported that the sheriff said, this is a big, big part of this, that TMZ report on the ransom note before that organization contacted authorities.
Speaker 4: That is really really upsetting.
Speaker 2: If that is true, and it's also not what Harvey said. Harvey said something different in the video said we reached out to some people, but we don't know if we got to the right place. He did not say, I mean it sounded like we placed a phone call and waiting to hear back or see if it makes it up the chain or something.
Speaker 3: He yeah, he said they had a hard time getting in touch with the right person. Is how he phrased it when he made this video, so it was you're right. He kind of couched it, saying, hey, we're trying to reach out to them, but we're not getting through or we haven't gotten to the right person.
Speaker 4: So we're having some trouble. But in the meantime, here's what we have.
Speaker 2: And the sheriff flat out said in the actual interview on camera interview, he hoped to keep this out of the public, and that makes sense why he was so quick with his answers, so quick trying to move on. He had full knowledge of this note when he stepped in front of us yesterday.
Speaker 4: You could actually now, of course, HEINZ twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: You caught it immediately, and yes, it was pretty obvious his demeanor changed. He seemed slightly panicked quickly to move away from that question, and he just his demeanors switched ever so slightly where he rushed and didn't say no.
Speaker 4: He didn't want to lie.
Speaker 3: To the press, but it was very obvious he was keeping something. Something about that question made him quickly want to change the subject.
Speaker 2: And Rose not just did he know about it when he came before camp. What time was that press coming for no One?
Speaker 4: It was around one one thirty Easter Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, one thirty Eastern time. At that point, not only was he aware of the note, he had shared it and discussed it with the Guthrie family at that point they were watching that press conference, also knowing and probably also hoping and probably also going good. He handled it well best he could. He was asked directly he could have lied to the press.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: I compare it not exactly the same.
Speaker 2: But Rose been in situations with with the members of the military to have some covert operation that media has full knowledge of ahead of time. But if you report on it, you're going to put the lives of soldiers at risk. We have precedent for cooperating with police when lives are a lot at stake.
Speaker 3: We have precedent for cooperating with press. Pr folks embargoes. You know, this is something that the press does all the time. We'll have information about something, even entertainment wise, that they don't want out.
Speaker 1: And that's why they get screeners.
Speaker 3: Advanced screeners, but you're embargoed from talking about it beforehand for just reasons of you know, financial success for the film, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Like they don't want things getting out so on silly things.
Speaker 1: You're so right, we apply for death consequences.
Speaker 4: We hold information all the time.
Speaker 2: So this would not be a stretch, is now what we're saying. And again they made the decision for whatever reason. Don't know if they will ever think different. We're only saying in our experience, we would have done something differently. Don't know if it's going to have an impact on this case one way or another. Robes did we mention the CBS reporter alluded to these not being two separate notes, so not a we were worried about a copycat potential situation, But it sounds like they believe this is the same note, just sent to two different places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had that question because it was a little confusing, But that does appear to be what the case is. And then we were trying to kind of figure out whoever is behind these notes, whether it is the person who actually took Savannah's mom or not.
Speaker 4: It's interesting as if they sent it to a.
Speaker 3: News organization so that that news organization would publish it. And when the CBS affiliate, good for them, just gave it to police and did not broadcast it.
Speaker 4: It was almost as if.
Speaker 3: They were annoyed and then sent it to a place where they thought might broadcast it.
Speaker 4: That's tough, AKATMZ.
Speaker 3: But that is where your head goes that whoever was behind it was like, well, damn, they didn't put it out. I guess I'll have to try someone who will. And that's what it seems like.
Speaker 2: Perhaps happens if you want then that's smart or stupid. Right, If you want to get your word out, do you send it to the CBS affiliate in Tucson, Arizona, if you wanted to go worldwide?
Speaker 1: Maybe it's smaller, Maybe you think they'll jump on it.
Speaker 2: Are you going to send it to an ABC news which was probably first called the FBI and then go through maybe not? Or do you have no idea what you're doing as a criminal right now? And send it to the local station that you drive by on your way to and from the gas station in your neighborhood and thought that was a good idea. What the hell is going on? I will tell you the first thing that started making zentthropes is that there is a ransom.
Speaker 3: Yes, that, because nothing else makes sense, and we've been trying, everyone has been going through all the what could possibly be the motive or what could possibly be the reason someone would abduct an eighty four year old frail woman who needs medical care.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's not urgent day constant. That is not a typical kidnapping target by anyone. No one wants to be dealing with that.
Speaker 3: Or there's just the motivation is puzzling other than money, and.
Speaker 2: They are telling us it's in the millions. But also we are getting a couple of other updates about the investigation through video footage that was shot at Nancy Guthrie's home. We'll explain that. Also an event playing there in the area tonight. And we are getting an update about Savannah's very busy, very important upcoming work schedule. We probably saw this coming, not probably romes. We knew she would not likely be going to the Olympic. Stay here, all those updates coming. We continue here on this Amy and TJ on this Wednesday morning, February the fourth, continuing on the search for Nancy Guthrie of Savannah Guthrie and Ropes. The Olympics actually is underway. The opening ceremony has not happened, but they start doing a lot of preliminary events. The Winter Olympics is going on. This is the most important thing NBC does. We think the Olympics is every four years or every two years you do summer, winter. It is year round for this network. It is They pay tons for it and they nail it on coverage. So to have her not be a part of it is we understand. But man, this is a big deal. It's having impacts, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, You and I actually we've covered the Olympics for ABC, but we both covered the Olympics or were with the Olympic team at NBC, and so we actually know what it's like at that network, the host network of the games. This is the planning that goes into these games and covering these games the way NBC does is like nothing I have ever experienced before.
Speaker 4: It is a machine. They know how to do it.
Speaker 3: But it takes a tremendous amount of preparation. And when you're the host, when you're the anchor of the opening ceremonies. Like Savannah, You've been studying for not weeks, for months. You've had binders upon binders of who the athletes are, what the host countries are expected to do, and when those opening ceremonies come, you are on your feet ad libbing.
Speaker 4: The prep is intense. So, yes, this all is happening on Friday.
Speaker 3: Savannah would have likely left probably Tuesday or Wednesday today at the latest to head to Milan to get ready, to get acclimated, and to be ready to put on one of the biggest shows of the year for NBC.
Speaker 2: Again, obviously not the priority right now. Clearly we understand this, but that is the timing. That's just absolutely huge that she's not going to be there. We'll tell you we didn't report this previously. We saw about this, but now CBS is reporting that one of its cameras caught and we've seen these images of what they believe. Nobody else is saying this what they believe to be blood on the front porch of that home.
Speaker 1: Rod.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to make it, because the initial reports was that somebody got up on the.
Speaker 1: Porch that shouldn't have been there.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean it's private property.
Speaker 3: Now it's no longer a crime scene technically, because they did say that, the sheriff did say that yesterday, specifically that they are done processing the scene.
Speaker 4: But it is still private property. And I have to tell you, look.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 4: I don't even like looking. I keep looking up.
Speaker 3: And CBS continues to put up I don't I'm curious what the other networks are going to do putting up that blood spatter.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see that.
Speaker 3: I actually wouldn't want my children to see it if they were younger, waking up in the morning and seeing potentially Nancy Guthrie's blood spattered on her doorstep. I just think sometimes we get so desensitized. I just don't appreciate that. And I'm thinking about Savannah. This is such look for anybody, this is difficult, but she is. This is her industry, this is her business. She covers stories like this about other people every single day.
Speaker 4: And I wonder how much.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 4: She's probably not watching that much right now.
Speaker 3: But in hindsight, you look at this and you think you do things differently as a journalist when you've suddenly become the center of a media frenzy. And I just feel for her to think about her mother's blood being displayed potentially across networks for just for I hate to say entertainment value, but certainly for the shock value.
Speaker 2: Not necessary, but they can tell necessary that you can actually be told without showing you're right. And to the point about being desensitized, it didn't hit me as much until you started talking about it now, like that's a damn shame.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure we've been on stories and had these fight and look, just so have we look it up and bam.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 4: They've played it more than I've seen any other video. And look, I'm just look, it's we're trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, it's a I don't know, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I say it's fine. What I'm saying is go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I was just saying, we've been watching Rachel Good, we've been watching Alex Pretdi get killed on this video for the last few weeks, and we've just been.
Speaker 4: Airing it like it's nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have I'm thinking ten years ago in this business, in journalism and broadcast news, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think we would have aired those things.
Speaker 3: And now maybe it's because of YouTube and all of the access TikTok people just showing everything and everyone having cell phone video and now we're just okay with showing things that I don't think we would have shown.
Speaker 2: Is that it is years ago? Is a decision being made? Well, it's out there anyway, Yes, let's just put it up. You know what that image of that, which we don't know for sure, is blood And the authorities have not confirmed that they have found blood. They say they found DNA inside the home. They haven't said anything about outside, so actually we don't even know what this is.
Speaker 1: Yes on the front is yeah, oh I'm saying yes.
Speaker 3: The sheriff specifically said outside or inside. We cannot confirm that we have found blood.
Speaker 2: So that that's just but it's out that is out there and it is rolling constantly. Would get to your point here, now, Rope, we're sensitive about crime scene photos, we're sensitive about showing dead bodies.
Speaker 1: We're sensive about blood. Why was that? Why is that? Now?
Speaker 2: I think this is one of those stories, Robes, and we've been in the middle of them. When there is a void, when there is not enough official information coming out on a big story, everybody scrambles to get anything. And if you got any little thing you then turn it into a big something that maybe you would not have reported on before. Do you think if the if the sheriff had come out and given us that information about a ransom, Nope, no network would have been running out there and say, ooh we got something, let's put this on.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He lost control of that narrative because he was choosing what to put out and he ran up against an organization that didn't mind putting it out.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really good point, and I think that's very true.
Speaker 4: And I think that.
Speaker 3: Maybe even if the sheriff had said, yes, we did find blood, maybe people wouldn't be so quick to say, see, here's blood. You know, you make a very good point. When there is a vacuum, when there is a void of information, people are desperate, especially a big story that they know everyone wants information on, everyone wants to click on that they will just fill in the void with everything and anything they get without thinking it through, without thinking about the ethics involved.
Speaker 1: That's a look.
Speaker 2: Hearts go out to Savannah Guthrie and her family, and you said, I haven't spent as much time as you have around her, but she is a delight and I mean, she is fun, she is energetic, she is bubbling, and she is as sharp as attack and ropes you just can't imagine, but to see now it is, it's one of your own to a certain degree, being put through and tested with what's happening to her family, but being put through and tested and.
Speaker 1: In some ways harmed.
Speaker 2: I hate to say victimized by how stories like this get covered.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I think that is a fair word, especially when you look at the comments and what people are saying.
Speaker 4: We talked about this yesterday. But she's going through something that is.
Speaker 3: Unthinkably difficult that most of us will never have to experience. But for those who have, and even if you haven't, just put yourself in her position and show some respect and just some just some acknowledgment of someone going through a painful time.
Speaker 4: Don't add to it. Don't add to it with speculation and judgment.
Speaker 2: And folks will let you know tonight. There is a candlelight visual planned there in the Tucson area for this evening. I'm not sure what to expect. There are no press conferences, at least we can tell you planned for today. He said he wouldn't put another one on the schedule until tomorrow, but if news breaks he will update, and if certainly it comes out, we'll let you know as well. As always, top right corner of your Apple podcast app on our show page, little button that says follow. Click that and you can make sure all the updates that we have have been so many breaking news updates lately, but they'll come right to you. We always appreciate you listening to us, but for my dear Amy Roback, I am t J.
Speaker 1: Holmes and we will talk to you almost m