Speaker 1: Apple announces the date for its next big iPhone event. I'll tell you what surprises might be in store. Plus a new tool promises to make finding your favorite sports games easier than ever. I'll tell you how it works. Vinyl record sales are seeing a big boost. I'll break down the numbers behind this resurgence. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on. I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's fire up those phone lines at triple A rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology again triple a Rich one oh one. Email is also an option. Just go to the website rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact.
Speaker 2: Guests on the show.
Speaker 1: This week, we've got UCSF Pediatrics Professor doctor Jason Nagata. He's going to discuss all of those recent school smartphone bands and the impact on student well being. Plus we've got Business Insider they're going to join us to talk about mobile carriers Mint Mobile and Tello Mobile, comparing both of them, and the TV answer man Philip Swan is going to help you select the ideal sports streaming service for your needs.
Speaker 2: It is the first week of college football.
Speaker 1: NFL is happening as well, and so you're probably looking at some of these streaming services. I'll help you figure out or he'll help you figure out which one is best for you. This week, Apple sent out invitations for its next big iPhone event. This is for the iPhone sixteen, happening on September ninth. It's a little bit early this year, not too much, but typically they do it on a Tuesday. This year it's on a Monday. The reason the big presidential debate is on that Tuesday, so they didn't want to mess with that. It's September eleventh, on Wednesday, obviously not the best day for an event, so Monday it is Monday, September ninth. It's funny all of the major tech events this year were earlier than originally scheduled or originally when they typically are. So Apple's event will be up in Cooper, Tino at their headquarters.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll be there.
Speaker 1: What are we expecting to see the iPhone sixteen and sixteen, plus the iPhone sixteen Pro and iPhone sixteen Pro Max, so four models of the iPhone sixteen. They will all have that AI built in. But there's been some talk about whether that AI will be available day one or we're gonna have to wait a little bit longer for that AI to come in a software update, maybe in a month after the launch. Also on the docket Apple Watch Series ten and then the Apple Watch Ultra three. Now, of course this is all rumor and speculation. Apple never confirms any thing before the actual event. But the highlights of these new phones, as according to the rumor mill a new A eighteen chip. We're already up to A eighteen plus more RAM than ever eight gigabytes. Apple never says how much RAM. They never actually give a lot of specs for their phones besides the storage and the processor, but these supposedly have more RAM, maybe to handle all the AI stuff. A new action button across all of the phones. This is a customizable button that you can make do anything when you press it. You can make it record a voice memo, or activate a smart assistant, whatever you want. That's been available on the fifteen Pro models. Now that's apparently coming to the whole lineup. Then you've got a new capture button. Now, this is interesting. So Apple might be going all in on making the iPhone a camera, which it already is for many people, but the dedicated capture button would be really interesting to have on there. So I'm very curious if that's actually going to happen, where they would put that and how that would work.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else colors.
Speaker 1: I don't really care about the colors, but I know a lot of people do, blue, green, pink, white, black. Let's see what else. Oh, new larger displays. That's interesting. These phones are getting even bigger, six point nine inches on the high end. There five X zoom on the Pro model, and the Apple Watch may be larger as well, larger and thinner. And then, of course, if you're not caring about the new iPhones, there will be a brand new version of the software that runs on the iPhone iOS eighteen. This will be available for the iPhone ten R and up, which means if you have a phone all the way from back in twenty eighteen, you're still going to get a software update. That's pretty incredible. By the way the event is called it's glow time. What does that mean? Well, I think it means it's the It refers to the look of Siri and all this AI. Whenever you activate AI on the iPhone. As far as I saw in demo that I got back in June, it like the whole phone kind of glows, Like the screen has this like magical glow to it. So I think that's what glow time means. I don't think we're gonna see glow in the dark iPhones. Don't think that's gonna happen. All right, I'm excited for that. I know it's a big date for a lot of people to either upgrade or get that new software or just see what Apple's doing. It's always kind of a big deal when it's the number one top tech company in the world revealing the new products. No matter what where you stand on iPhone, good or bad, it's always a big day. Meanwhile, AI obviously been the biggest thing on all of the new smartphones this year. I told you last week that it is propelling sales of smartphones. I've been using the Pixel nine Pro and I think it is just absolutely incredible. I think that that is the phone to be at this point with for the average person, Like, if you want a smartphone that is not Samsung, that's not Apple, the Pixel is the way to go. Is there any other choice, by the way, I don't think there is at this point. But I think Samsung gets it in the hardware. I think Apple gets it in kind of the overall accessories and ease of use, and you can walk into a store. They've got them everywhere if you need help, So I think that's where they get it. But Pixel is kind of like this sleeper phone that's like it's really good, camera is amazing, the software is really really good, it's smart, and it just feels like a smartphone. But speaking of AI, California set to maybe pass a landmark AI safety bill. This is SB ten forty seven, a major AI regulation bill. The main thing about this bill is that some lawmakers are trying to implement safety measures for AI. So before these advanced AI models go out into the world, they have to be they have to be vetted, and these companies could be held accountable for any mistakes they make. And they would also have to have a kill switch, which means they can shut them down quickly.
Speaker 2: If something goes wrong. What could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, taking over the entire world, trying to kill US, bio warfare, election manipulation, I mean AI.
Speaker 2: If you're not playing.
Speaker 1: With it, it is incredible, It is incredibly useful, it is incredibly smart, and we are just at the beginning. So this bill in California, this wouldn't be for the whole US, but because all of these tech companies are headquartered in California, this would have nationwide ramifications. So who's on the support side. Well, let me tell you who's against it? First, Open AI makers of chat, GBT they don't like it. Meta makers of Facebook, they don't like it. Google makers of Google, they don't like it. Some politicians who don't want to stifle innovation. California's Chamber of Commerce all against this bill.
Speaker 2: Why don't they like it?
Speaker 1: Well, because it makes things tougher for these companies to just do whatever they want to do. Who supports it? Interestingly, Elon Musk. Now I mentioned that I just finished reading his or listening to his biography by Walter Isaacson and Elon Musk For all of the future thinking that he does, he is actually very thoughtful about the implications of AI, even though he has his own AI in Twitter or x whatever it is called Grock. He says that he does think that AI could have, you know, some issues, some downsides if left unchecked, and so he is supporting this bill. He says this should probably happen now. You may argue, if you're a cynic, that he wants to stifle the innovation of these big companies that are in competition with him. So of course he's for this because it would slow them down and give him time to catch up. But that's a very cynical view of things. Anthropic makers of Claude AI, which is my preferred AI, known as a more safe and friendly AI, they are also supporting this, and I love Anthropic. If you have not tried Claude down, download this app to your phone right now. Claude AI, make sure you get the official one. It is incredible. I use this every day all day long. It is just it's not as sexy as the other AI's out there. It's Anthropic A N T H R O P I C claude C l A U D E. So look that up on your phone. It's available for iPhone and Android and just get it on your phone again. Not as sexy as chat gybt which has become Kleenex. You know, it's not Google with their Gemini, it's not Samsung, it's not Meta which forces it in your search bar. But it's really good, and it's really good at just thoughtful answers. Anyway, they are supporting this as well, so it's not a done deal yet the governor. It's got one more kind of step to go back to the Senate before it will go to the Governor's desk. But then the governor of California has until late September to sign or veto the bill. And the thing that's interesting about this is that Governor Newsom here in California has not given any sort of like inkling to whether he likes this or doesn't like it. And you have to think where he's coming from. Obviously, he wants to set you know, California likes the regulations, but he also does not want to stifle the tech companies that are based here and their growth because there are many other states and there are many other countries that are ready to jump in and say, hey, come on over here, you can do all the stuff you want to do over here, and you don't have to deal with all those zany regulations that California has. So we'll see what happens there, but you know, the outcome could set a precedent here in the United States. All Right, I've got so much more to talk about on the show today.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk about.
Speaker 1: How I switched away from so NOS, why I had to actually paid to rent a movie last night, my birthday, clearing out voicemails on your phone, this new app that I really love, and a.
Speaker 2: Very easy way to use AI.
Speaker 1: It's all coming up right here on rich On Tech eight eight to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Well, it is the start of football season, and uh, whether you watch college or NFL something in between. ESPN has launched a new feature called where to Watch. This is the streaming slash TV database you have been looking for. It's really really easy, it's very useful, but basically you can see where your games are streaming or playing on which TV channel. They've got broadcast networks, cable channels, regional sports networks, streaming services, and you can get it from the ESPN app or ESPN dot com. Very very simple, and if you log into ESPN, you can even set your teams that you want to watch and it will show you where those are first. Super super easy. They've got over two hundred and fifty sources for this. You can just go to ESPN dot com slash where to watch and it's it's great. It's game game changing, no pun intended, but it's great because you can see all the dates ahead of you. You can select the teams that you want and those will be showed right at the top, and it shows you every which way you can watch them. So, for instance, Dodgers playing the Diamondbacks today, you can watch it on the diamondbackstreaming DBAs dot TV, MLBtv, or sportsnet LA. So it gives you all those options. Now, I will say that with sports specifically, it is still a it's still very confusing whether you can actually access those games. For instance, this game is not going to be on MLBtv if you are in the LA area, as I understand because typically they black out the games that are in your local area. This would be on sports and at LA, which obviously you would need a streaming service or a cable provider that has that channel to see it. So we're almost there, but you know the idea here, I mean, look at Okay, so there's another thing on FM Championship LPGA. You can watch on ESPN Golf channel or Peacock. Who would think that Peacock would have all this stuff? Since when did Peacock get so sporty? But now like half the NBC sports are all on Peacock.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's really handy. ESPN dot com Slash where to watch. The other one I like is Fubo. Fubo has something called Gamefinder, So if you go to Fubo dot tv slash, I'll see if you can go directly, Yeah, Fubo dot tv Slash Gamefinder. You enter your zip code and that will tell you where the games are playing as well. So really really handy. It'll all be on my website, rich on tech dot tv. If you want a link to anything I mentioned here, just hit the light bulb icon at the top. Let's go to Jason in a Equipment, Texas. Jason, You're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: Hello, Rich?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing excellent? What can I help you with?
Speaker 5: I'm the first time caller and I enjoy your show.
Speaker 2: And thank you.
Speaker 5: I have a thirteen inch MacBook Pro of twenty nineteen with the Intel chip.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I bought it new and bring a twenty twenty, and I used it for a few months, and then I put it up and didn't use it for probably two or three years, and then I pulled it out last year and updated it to the latest version. And the battery won't charge anymore.
Speaker 2: Battery service batteries okay. So what can I help you with?
Speaker 5: I was saying, like, pick them the cock the count and it says only.
Speaker 2: Fix okay.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like you're trying to figure out what to do with this twenty nineteen MacBook Pro that will not charge. So you are very correct in going into the system information and checking the cycle count and the condition. This is the health information of the battery. You can access this by going to the Apple menu on your computer upper left hand corner. You hold down the let's see is it the option?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you hold down option, you tap that Apple and it will switch from about this mac to system information. You tap that, and then the left hand side it says power and I can see my battery. I have a brand new MacBook air cycle count nine. That means I fully charged and discharged this battery nine times, which I know it might sound like a lot, but that's that's a cycle count is not how many days you've had this computer and you've played it in. A cycle is a little bit more than that, so it's like the whole battery, So it's a little bit different than just like, oh, I've plugged this in nine times and then I've got conditioned normal maximum capacity one hundred percent. Sounds like your battery is done. It's dead. So you can either just leave this computer plugged in all the time and use it that way. But keep in mind if you unplug it, you're going to lose power instantly, so you might want to put something like a ups in between your computer and the wall so that way you have a little bit of time to shut down your computer if you yank out the cord. Otherwise, I would recommend just bringing this computer in. It's a twenty nineteen, You've still got plenty of life left on this computer. I would bring it into the Apple Store, get a quote from them, see how much it'll cost for them to replace that battery. If you don't want to go there, you can go to a local place that will replace the battery. That's an authorized reseller, a best buy could do it. Or you can go to a place like you Break I Fix and they will give you a free quote on how much it costs to replace the battery. I'd say if it was about maybe three hundred dollars or less, go ahead and do it. Because this is a perfectly good computer. It's going to last you another I'd say four or five years or so. Thanks for the call, Jason, appreciate it. From there in Texas. Coming up, we're going to talk to doctor Jason Nogada about the recent school smartphone bands and the impact on students well being. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. We've got lots to discuss on today's show. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment. Joining me now, UCSF Pediatrics Professor doctor Jason Nogada, thanks so much for joining me today. Thanks so much for having me. So this is an issue that's near and dear to my heart. I've got two kids, they're both in school. They both love their technology because they know who dad is and they have a lot of access to it. I'm also reading that book, The Anxious Generation, and it's making me think twice about a lot of this stuff and the manipulation by these social media companies and addicting our children. So, first off, I know a lot of schools are starting to ban smartphones during the day.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's a great question, and as you mentioned, many more school districts than schools are considering school bands. I do think it's important to note that phones are not inherently.
Speaker 7: Good or bad.
Speaker 6: There are some health risks that we know about that we do want to minimize, but there are also some benefits, including communication, socialization that you know children will have to learn and to some extent, you know, technology is not going to go away, and so in order for our children to become functioning adults and able to function in society. They will have to learn how to use technology and phones to some extent. I do think that school cell phone bands are relatively new, and there's not actually strong evidence either way. So I think it is important that aso are starting to implement these bands, that we really study it rigorously so that we have hard data as to whether or not it actually improves academic or health outcomes.
Speaker 2: That's so good. I like that.
Speaker 1: That's a good kind of like a nice way to think about it, because you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are so many benefits.
Speaker 1: We were discussing this last night with my kids because they have watches, they don't have phones, but you know, they can't use them during the day now. And you know, my wife was like, well, you can call the school if there's an emergency, and I said, well, no parent wants to call the school in an emergency. They want a direct line to their child. And I think that's the biggest kind of flip side that parents, even though they know these things could be rough on their kids, they still want to be able to get in touch with them during the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I do think that that is one of their drawbacks, so that I think there are risks and their benefits. And you know, one of the key functions of phones is for communication, and so if you want to be able to communicate with your child, you know, with phones being banned during the school day, you won't be able to directly reach them throughout the day, especially in times of emergencies.
Speaker 7: So I do think that that's one of the drawbacks.
Speaker 6: But you know, that being said, because all the kids won't have access to phones, you know, none of them will have they'll all be in the same situation and they can all kind of socialize in person. So I do think that there are some benefits that I'm really encouraged kids to socialize like in person and also to really fully focus on their studies during the in the classroom without distractions. And while there's not a lot of data, there have been some schools that have found that English proficiency even has improved with the implementation of school bands or school phone bands.
Speaker 1: And I think that's my biggest takeaway is that the you know, these phones, like you said, they're not inherently good or bad, but there are things that as human beings that you know, with a brain and the way that we think and do things. These phones attract our attention a lot. I mean, you get these notifications throughout the day, and of course these apps they want you to be on there because that's their job is to get you engaged. And so but kids, I feel like, are a little bit and adults I see this as with as well, is that we're we just can't handle it.
Speaker 2: Like we just you get that notification, you're gonna check it.
Speaker 1: Like I know, even this morning, I'm on a run and I know that my family's just texting back and forth, but my my watch keeps vibrating and I want to check it.
Speaker 2: And that's pretty normal, right, It's pretty typical.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I do think that, as you mentioned, the technology is designed to you know, get you engage it, to use more of it. And so just as you mentioned, like more notifications you have, you know, you're we're naturally designed in programmed to want to check it. And with kids in social media, you know, if they've gotten a like or a comment, they want to check it right away and they want to respond to it. And so I do think that there are things you know, inherent and the technology design that are you know, have addictive natures, and I do think that, you know, for kids and adults to like, it's really hard to fight that. So I do think that one, you know, very clear way of addressing that is to just the devices altogether. And so I do think that, you know, if during the school day, kids aren't getting those notifications, then they can really be present for the academic work ahead of them. So that is one of the you know, I guess the most effective way of getting rid of all those distractions and notifications is actually to just remove the device.
Speaker 1: I mean, that may not be the best long term because number one, as soon as the kid gets out of school, they're back to their phone. So it's like this weird and my wife and I have struggled this with this with my kids. It's like, do you aban the roadblocks during the week and just let them, you know, play as much as they want on the weekends. It's like, it's this weird thing because I get as an adult, you have to learn to like manage your time and you have to learn to like manage your attention. Are kids just not equipped to do that yet at their age? Is that why it's kind of very different? And I know, not all adults can do that either easily.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're absolutely right, And I do think that there's not a one size fits all solution, even for your own child, because I think actually your child's age and development matters a whole lot. I do think that as children become teenagers and you know, as you said, transition to adults, ideally you want to provide them with skills and their own decisions so that when they go off, you know, when they move away from home and they're working on their own or going to college, they're equipped with the skills and the tools to be able to balance and manage technology and their own you know, personal life, you know, just like we're faced with as adults. So I do think the ultimate goal is to get to that stage where they can make healthy and good decisions that really optimize their tech use while minimizing the risks. But I do think that especially for younger children, you know, who are really much more dependent on their parents and do you know, often do.
Speaker 7: Better with rules.
Speaker 6: I do think that it makes more sense in general to have more rules for younger children, who you know, may not have the developments to be able to really make some of these decisions on their own, just like you wouldn't let a five year old, you know, we don't let firo's drive cars or do.
Speaker 7: Other things like that.
Speaker 6: I do think that there is potentially a role for a graduation and where you know, as kids are getting older and able to make more decisions on their own, you can provide them with a little bit more autonomy, and eventually the goal is to get them to you know, be able to function optimally on their own.
Speaker 1: So what should parents know about the effect of these phones and all these social media apps on their kids and give them some advice on how to deal with this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do think that in terms of the potential health risks, you know, there has been a lot of research on it, and there are some mixed findings, but overall, you know, in some adolescents there are I think one of the overall there are some like physical health consequences potentially, I think the most important ones are maybe sleep, physical inactivity, and potentially nutrition. So in terms of sleep, we already know that more than a third of teenagers don't get enough sleep, and I do think that phone use and just device use in general is one really easy behavioral strategy to improve sleep. We do know that when kids or anyone is on their device right before bedtime, you know, it's activating it. You know, really in general makes people stay up later, they get poorer quality sleep, and for growing children and adolescents, it's so important for their growth development and even academic performance. So I do think that particularly limiting screen use or phone use right before bedtime is a.
Speaker 7: A good strategy.
Speaker 6: And actually kind of similar to the what we said about having physical devices like away so that you don't have my notifications, one of the most effective strategy is actually to have your phone outside of your bedroom so that you know you don't have the you know, you're not nice to go check it in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've all got out where you wake up in the middle of the night and what do you do. You roll over and you check your phone, like for what reason?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, and then you've then all of a sudden you see all the messages or notifications that you missed or work stuff, and then you know, now you're awake again and you're thinking about dealing with that stuff. So I do think that having the device is outside of the room or completely off, you know, can help kids and adults have better sleep.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Another potential reason why phones and other screen devices can lead to poor health and teenagers is that they're just spending a lot of time.
Speaker 7: On screens these days.
Speaker 6: The average teenager during the pandemic spent eight hours of their recreational time, you know, on a device. It's obviously lower than that now that we don't have the lockdowns and social isolation, but it's.
Speaker 7: Still is very high.
Speaker 6: And if you think about you know, teenagers being on their screens for four to eight hours a day, that's four to eight hours in general that they're not you know, being physically active or exercising or socializing with people in real life. And so I think part of it is like what else could you be doing with that time when you're not in front of the screen, So it's kind of displacing other activities that could be good for your health. And then I think finally, in terms of nutrition, there are studies that show that the more people are on screens, especially watching you know, streaming movies or television shows or watching television shows, the more likely they are to overeat while they're distracted.
Speaker 7: So if you're you know, having a meal. While you're watching TV.
Speaker 6: Or watching Netflix, you're more likely to overeat because you're kind of distracted and not paying attention to your hunger cues, so you're more likely to gain weights. And actually, we recently had a study that showed that over time, young adults who had more screen.
Speaker 7: Time thirty years later were actually more likely.
Speaker 6: Than to have heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and even heart attacks. So I do think that the more time that you're on screens, especially if you're sitting and sedentary, over time, that can really lead to some significant health consequences.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're going to leave it there.
Speaker 1: UCSF Pediatrics Professor, Doctor Jason Nagatta, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate the insights.
Speaker 7: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, parents, get those kids outside, have them play with worms, just to uncover a rock. Just just lift a rock and play with the things underneath. You're gonna be okay. Get that dirt under your fingernails. I'm telling you I did as a kid. I'm fine, and I love my screens. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Still lots of stories and news to get to. Uh tell you about my switch away from Sonos this week?
Speaker 2: What else? Oh why I had to rent a movie last night? We got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: But let's go to the Nette in Los Angeles Thenett, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Hi and I mean your advice. I'm trying to decide what to purchase between a MacBook are and with empty chick or M three chick. Everything is the same, you know, the CPU, the storage, the goodbye. The only difference is that EMP two chip and M three chip. M two chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much is the price difference on the M three chip? I go, I'd go with the M three. It's gonna be faster, It's just gonna be slightly faster. I would say if the difference was like five hundred dollars, I would go with the M two. But since you're only paying one hundred dollars more to get the latest, I have the M three.
Speaker 2: I just got it. It's fine.
Speaker 1: I mean it's not you know my old uh my M two Pro was faster, but I think for the one hundred dollars, I'd go with the M three, just just to be on the current, you know, wave of things you get one year newer technology. Again, if it was more, if it was three five hundred dollars, i'd say absolutely go with the M two. You'll be just fine. But for a hundred bucks, easy decision, go with the M three.
Speaker 8: I know that's what I was thinking when I just needed aff confirmation.
Speaker 2: Yep, enjoy the new computer and that I think you're gonna love it.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All Right, have a great day. Let's go to Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Let's a little fast on the trigger there, Let's go to Gloria in Oxnard.
Speaker 2: Gloria, you're on with rich Ah.
Speaker 5: Yes, good afternoon. I have a question.
Speaker 9: I would send some legal documents, but on CD disc okay, and now I don't have anything. I tried it on my CD player that didn't work. But I needed to know, could I if I wanted to hear these discs to see what's on file?
Speaker 3: What I would saying?
Speaker 5: Could I use a DVD.
Speaker 2: Player like a standalone DVD player?
Speaker 9: Yeah, a little small ones, but no.
Speaker 1: That's not gonna that's not going to work for files. Yeah, it's not going to display those because these are these are documents on there?
Speaker 2: Are they pictures or what are they?
Speaker 9: No, they're just let's say, gibbis. I don't know whether they're documents or not.
Speaker 4: But I know.
Speaker 9: I used to have a DVD player, a small portable and I'm fall back and I could hear.
Speaker 5: It's not so much scene.
Speaker 9: I just want to know what's on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would.
Speaker 1: I would find a computer with a with a disk drive on it. So you're an Oxnard.
Speaker 9: The problem is I can't afford a computer.
Speaker 1: And no no, not that I'm not saying you got to buy a computer. No, no, no, I'm trying to figure out a place where you can go where you can just so first off, I would tap friends, so, you know, head onto your Facebook, your Instagram or your social media, say hey, uh, anyone have a computer with a with a disk drive a you know, CD or DV Just say disk drive and see if anyone's got one. Hey, can I come to your house? You put the disc in the drive, you copy all that stuff and you can upload it to the cloud, to a service if you want something that's super easy wormhole dot app and you can just drag and drop all the files there. It's encrypted, and then you send yourself a link through email. You'll have all the files you downloa them. Do you have a computer at all?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 9: Even if I had a computer, it would be kind of difficult for me because I do everything the audible unbeling.
Speaker 2: Oh oh got it? Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh so well, okay, so you're trying to read the listen to these documents.
Speaker 5: I just want to listen to those.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, unless they're audio files, you're going to need a service to do that. So you've got to get these files somehow. And then do you have a smartphone?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 5: No, I have a flip phone.
Speaker 2: You have a flip phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you've got to enlist the help of a friend or family member or someone that you trust, and you got to ask them to get these files into you know, onto a flash drive or onto a place where you can somehow convert them to listen to them.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And there's there's some free services Speechify. That's a great service that you can listen to these things on. I mean, there's so many ways you can I'm sure you know you can listen to things online.
Speaker 9: Well, I was going to go to bed By and ask on what and take the diff and asked us who was the best way I could hear the Well, I don't hear them.
Speaker 1: I don't think best Buy is gonna really you know, you're gonna you're gonna talk to the geek squad and they're gonna, I mean, they may be able to do that conversion for you, but I would I would start with friends and family. I start with friends and family, someone you know and schools like you know, maybe just you know, some sort of resource like a group that you're in or something, and just see who has you know, a friendly helping hand. It's not too tough to to transform these into a flash drive or some sort of clouds, uh file, get the text, extract that, and then there's even ways of converting that into you know, an audible file, like a you know, recording that into an audio file. I'm trying to remember there was actually a pretty cool service that would transform your your text into a podcast, and I got to remember I look up what that was. But that was pretty neat, and that's one way of doing it. But speech a fy, I think is probably your best bet. Someone can get these documents into a form where you can upload them to speech a fy or they can, then you'll be able to listen to all of these things.
Speaker 2: So a library might do it.
Speaker 1: I'm actually looking up the Oxnard Public Library and they say that their computers don't have CD drives, so that's not a good place to go. But you might want to call them. There might be someone that might want to help you. There a local university. They may help you. But again, I think this is a situation where you've got to tap into the friendliness of someone. If that doesn't work, then I would just go on Yelp and look for a place that does, you know, maybe some conversions or an internet cafe near you that someone might be able to help you do it that way. But those are the best bets that I would think for this. It's a kind of a tricky situation, but I think those are the best way to do it. I don't I wouldn't pay a lot for this, because you know, it's just it doesn't sound like it's an easy situation because you don't have a computer and you don't have a phone, so someone has to help you with this that's what I'm hearing here eighty eight rich.
Speaker 11: One O one.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call today, Gloria eight eight eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website richon Tech dot TV coming up.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: About my switch away from Sonos this week and when I switch to and why I'm kind of loving it. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line is eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you want to jump on the line, ask me a question. Also got lots to talk about, lots to discuss. This hour, my guest will be Business Insiders Tech and Electronics Senior reporter Antonio villis Boas. He's going to compare mobile carriers Mint Mobile and Tello Mobile. Maybe you've heard a Mint, maybe you haven't heard of Tello. But he's going to compare the pros and cons of each. And then later we've got the TV answer man. He's gonna talk about selecting the ideal sports streaming service. I know I did, I jumped the gun. I guess I chose that yesterday should have waited till today. But my kid wants to watch the game, so I'll reveal what I chose. Something else I did this week, I've gotten kind of fed up with my Sons system at home. If you've been following the drama, now, don't cry for anyone with Sons because this is a very expensive system.
Speaker 2: So you know, I get it.
Speaker 1: I built mine over many years, and so I'm annoyed because i loved it for so long. But now I'm finding that my new solution is actually way better. So so nos if you haven't been following it, they updated their app and it just messed up every system nationwide. You can't adjust the volume for me. What I've noticed with my system is it's just completely unreliable. Number One, I have no idea how to use the app anymore. I have no idea how to group and ungroup my speakers. What's amazing about it is that you can have a speaker in every room and you can listen to individual services on any of those speakers, or you can group them all together, or you can group one or two all together or together, and you have a selection of every single music service in the world.
Speaker 2: You can all access it through their app.
Speaker 1: Well, they kind of threw all that out the window and made it almost impossible to use. You can't group an N group. I have no idea. The app is so confusing. You try to play something, it takes forever. Try to adjust the volume, good luck with that. It doesn't work. And so it's just kind of ruined everything. And so I've gotten so completely frustrated with this. I actually pulled out two of my so No speakers in my rooms and I replaced them with Amazon Echo speakers. And I'm not kidding. It has been amazing. Why am I so late? When did Amazon Echo launch? Amazon Echo launch date November sixth, twenty fourteen. Okay, I'm just about ten years late on the amazingness of this.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have had Echo speakers since day one, but I always thought they were inferior to Sons because it just seemed like a gimmick compared to Sons and the beautiful sound quality. But now I'm telling you I plugged in this speaker that I must. I must have had the speaker for five years. It's like one of the old school Echoes. It sounds great and what I love about it is the voice control. So now I come home and I can immediately start playing a radio station or some music just using my voice, and I move around to different rooms and I just say what I want to listen to in that room?
Speaker 2: Now? Can you group them?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 1: You can group them. Is it as easy as sons? No, because you have to kind of choose the groups in advance. But the point is I'm listening to more music faster than I ever have. And by the way, I can adjust the volume. And by the way I can adjust the volume just by saying, Alex, ay put the volume up, put the volume down, or stop, or play or changes to the other room, whatever it is. It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had to look at the flashing light on top of the echo today and I said, okay, Alex, say you got me what's.
Speaker 11: On your mind?
Speaker 1: And she's like, oh, I noticed there's two things in your Amazon cart. Would you like to order those? I can place that order right now. This is kind of like the you know, the Nightmare of AI. It's like, oh, I didn't think I needed those things, but sure place that order. It also said the other day, I noticed that you're you're based on my timeline, the filter and your refrigerator might be up for renewal? Would you like to order a new one now? And I'm like, You've got to be kidding me. I see why they do this. It Also one time I had it plugged in and I said, we noticed the ink in your printer is getting low. Do you liked us to order that ink cartridge? I said, what now you're looking at my ink cartridges? What else are you looking at?
Speaker 2: Rich?
Speaker 1: We noticed your sock drawers getting kind of low? Would you like to do your laundry anyway? So?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I've ordered so many of these speakers now. I just went on Amazon and I ordered more of these echos. So I think I'm gonna end up doing the whole house. I will say yes, I'll probably come back to Sono to some point, but I'm not sure at this point. As long as I can have music in all my rooms, even if I have it in what I've realized also I probably don't need music in every room unless I'm having people over, and then you want music, you know, outside inside all these different places.
Speaker 2: But and I love Sonos, Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 1: I have been the biggest proponent of Sonos ever since I took the first meeting in Trump Tower in New York City. Yes, that's where they did the meeting now that I think about it. They were showing off their system. I think it was Trump Tower, I'm pretty sure it was, or maybe it was Trump. Was there a hotel maybe Trump Hotel, I don't know anyway, it was, yeah, I know the one in Vegas, but I think there might have been one of your anyway, Maybe it wasn't, maybe it was near there. But I just remember going to this like suite. It was like this beautiful suite and they showed me the first Sonos system and I was like, you want me to pay how much for what? It was like twelve hundred dollars for the speakers and that that like included this crazy controller that was proprietary. This was before iPads, and I was like, twelve hundred dollars, who's buying this? And you know, sure enough, they did pretty well. But eventually when the phone became the controller, that's what really made so Noos amazing because you could now concentrate on buying these super expensive speakers, which yes, we're very expensive, but you could use your phone to control them and you could buy the speakers one by one, and they ended up coming out with cheaper speakers over the years, but they're still pretty expensive, like two hundred bucks minimum.
Speaker 2: Might say.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I am loving the Echo. If you haven't jumped on board, it's great. It works with all your streaming services, all the music, all the radio stations.
Speaker 2: Is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Speaking of streaming, last night, we actually had to rent pay to rent a movie. My kid wanted to see Inside Out two, and so he's been asking and asking and asking. We have not been able to make it to the movie theater. And then when I went online to buy tickets, I was like, hold on eighty bucks for four of us to.
Speaker 2: See a movie.
Speaker 1: Nah, I'm just not paying that. And so and then you got to pay for the popcorn and all that other stuff that you got to get. My kids like to get an icy which is like six bucks for just pure sugar water that's colored.
Speaker 2: No, we're not doing that.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so I said, you know what, I'll pay for the movie on the TV because you can't. This is the thing that frustrates me. I subscribe to every streaming service, Netflix, Paramount plus Peacock.
Speaker 2: What else is there. I don't know, there's so many of them.
Speaker 1: I pay for all of them because I'm like, all right, you know, hopefully the movie I want to watch is on these things. Well, it turns out Inside Out two is not on any of them, especially not Disney Plus. So what they do now is they have it in the theater, then they have it on streaming, like where you can rent it or buy it for a couple of months, and then it comes to Disney Plus. So the price to rent this movie was what was it, twenty five dollars, and the price to buy it was thirty So of course what I say, all right, I'll just buy it so thirty bucks. Now I ended up having a ten dollars credit, so it was really twenty dollars on Google Play, and we got to watch it.
Speaker 2: We had a fantastic family night.
Speaker 1: But my point is it's like, here I am paying for all these streaming services, and still they managed to eke another twenty dollars out of me. It's like they will not quit until I don't know, Disney just has another theme park somewhere, which I'm sure they're building anyway.
Speaker 2: All right, Why do I digress so much? On the show.
Speaker 1: Oh, we had a question from Gloria in the last segment. She was asking about transforming some of her printed material into text. And I couldn't remember the name of this service. I mentioned Speechify, the other one that's really good. If you have not downloaded this app, download it to your phone. It's eleven Labs and it's completely free. But you feed it any article and it will read you that article in a very realistic voice, and you have your choice of voices. It's free and it's incredible. It's AI Voice, so I know, if you hate AI, don't download it. But it's really unbelievable. It's remarkable how good this is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The only downside to that is when you download an article, it's gonna read all the nonsense in the article. At to ignore some of that stuff, but articles are littered with just nonsense nowadays, with like all this like promotional stuff and things like that, so it will read some of that, but when you get to the heart of the article, it's actually quite incredible. So eleven Labs available for iPhone. Don't know if it ever came to Android, but let's see is it on Android yet? I don't think it is I think it's just on Oh it is on Android. Oh, I got to download that on iPhone and Android eleven labs. I'll link it up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv hit the light bulb. This is show number eighty seven, so you can get the show notes there. Now, the other one I mentioned that can send it to a podcast. You can actually create a podcast of articles that will go right to your phone. This is called listen later dot net. Listen later dot net Basically, whenever you come across an article that you want to listen to on your phone, you just send it to this email address and then it gives you a custom podcast and you just feed that into the podcast reader on your phone and I and listen to these articles. It's pretty good, but the problem is it is a little bit pricey. You got to buy credits, so, you know, they basically you got to pay by you know, you charge up like five, ten, twenty dollars, and then each article has like a cost associated with it. So if you want something that's completely free, go the eleven laps because that one is free.
Speaker 2: It works really well, all.
Speaker 1: Right, eight eight to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one, the website rich On Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: I see your calls and.
Speaker 1: We will get to them right after this.
Speaker 2: Plus I've got more to talk about and our guests.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about Mint Mobile versus Tello and Samsung and LG Smart TVs. They are at war. I'll tell you what they're doing. That's a little bit different coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. James wrote in Hey, Rich, with Echo, you know you can set them up automatically to start playing music when you walk into a room and turn off automatically when you leave the room.
Speaker 2: How neat Jim, Oh, that's cool. I got to do that.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted that with my so nos Steve said, Echo isn't stereo. Yeah, I know, I know, I know it's not perfect. It is not my sons, believe me. It's not my same setup. But I'm just saying for now it's working out. And yes I may go back, but right now it's working. Let's go to Michael in Anaheim Michael.
Speaker 3: You're on.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 5: Hey, rich?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing excellent. What can I help you with?
Speaker 11: Good to hear?
Speaker 3: Hey, my friend that is hoping you can help me out with this annoying problem that I have. So whenever I enter my car, the bluetooth automatically connects to the phone, but then I don't get any audible alert when I get a text message. And so I've been driving for half an hour, forty five minutes missions three or four text messages. Is there any way that you know of to make if the phone's connected to the bluetooth of the car, but also get the audible alert of the text message. And I'm using Android phone?
Speaker 2: Oh you're on Android? Okay, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah Android, I mean in my car immediately. So I was using iPhone and my car would not work. Apparently it couldn't get the notifications from the iPhone, but on Android it should be able to read those. Okay, are you on Uh so, if you're on Android, there's a you have to in your assistant. There's a feature that says here personal results on your headphones. When your phone is locked. You can try turning that on and see if that would toggle these notifications to come on. Mine is off, so I think that would read the notifications from your phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I mean I'm it's so it would say like let's say it's like new message received like through like the infotainment system of the car. But like as far as they're going to audio alert, I'm not getting anything like my alert sound like when I give a text message, So if it's not connected to Bluetooth, someone sends me a text message that here is a little chime. You know, I know I've received the message, but if it's connected to Bluetooth, it doesn't make any noise at all. And then sometimes you know, if you know, I'm not using the Bluetooth part of the car at that point, I'm not getting the audible alert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's well, the audible alert because the problem is your phone's connected to Bluetooth, so all of the audio is going through Bluetooth. Now, the good news is you have an Android phone, so there are apps that could that could help you route some of those things. And even I'm looking in the settings of even on the Android settings like they're pretty thorough with your audio routing. But typically when you are connected to a device, the audio is going to go through to that device no matter what. It's not going to play your you know, your notification sound through your phone and then everything else goes through Bluetooth. So what what kind of phone is this? Samsung or Apple?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Samshung some Sun GALAT'SY twenty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe, So do you want you just want to be able to hear the notification or do you want to hear it read to you?
Speaker 3: No, I just want to hear the notification.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't need it read to me.
Speaker 3: I just need to hear the audible alert.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, in that case, you may okay, you there there. So what I would do is okay, so on my car, I'm looking at it right now, and mine says media audio turned on. I can turn that off, and I would imagine that when I get a notification it might just trigger on the phone itself versus the car. But again, I think this is a matter of you've got to look through every single setting on your car and on your phone and figure out and if that doesn't work, you know, there are third party apps that might be able to kind of like handle this. I don't know when off the top of my head. But like when I I wanted my Samsung screen to light up when I got a notification, I literally search for an app and I found one that would light up the screen when I get a notification. And so that's the beauty of Android is that you can change things like that versus iPhone doesn't really let you do that kind of stuff unless Apple programs it in. So I'm looking at there's like an app called Spoken Notifications that may help where you can have you know that may it looks like that, can you know, give you some notifications. It looks a little old and it hasn't been updated in a while. Let's see last update in March seventh, twenty twenty four. So I might check that and see, because that would you can probably program that or a similar app to say, hey, when I get a notification, tell me through the through the audio, you know.
Speaker 3: And what was the name of that app?
Speaker 1: Spoken Notifications by w d WD in Formatica, So you know it's it's it's got a one hundred thousand downloads, it's got decent review, it was recently update uploaded, updated, So you might try something like that, and again it says, you know, this app uses the device administrator permission, so you have to be you know, whenever you do something like this, you do have to be aware of the privacy implications of this because this app, you know, you got to put a little trust into it. But the good news is you're on an Android. There's a way to do this, and I think it's going to be in your your audio settings, your notification settings, or your Bluetooth settings, and somehow you just have to get that toggle switch where it's going to route that information through your Bluetooth and not through or through your phone and not through the Bluetooth. There used to be when I was listening to when I had my one of my phones connected to my car, I had to toggle a switch every time I connected a new phone to my car to make sure that the audio routed through the bluetooth and not through you know, just nothing. So again, that's that's the problem, is that your phone is on the Bluetooth and that's that's the issue there. So once you get past that, figure out how to get around it, you'll be just fine, and I think you will with a with an Android phone. The other thing to look into is Samsung has an app called routines they have like these routines built in. You can maybe use that to build a routine that would also alert you when you get a notification. I check that first before you download any app. All right, Michael, thanks for the call today from Anaheim. Appreciate that. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we're going to talk Mint Mobile versus Tello Mobile. So if you're looking to save some money on your wireless carrier. Got an interesting conversation coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one oh one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Got a message from my little brother Justin. He's been on this show before. My mom spilled coffee on her computer this week. Just a reminder, by the way, when you have an open coffee cup near your computer keyboard, you are going to knock that coffee cup over and spill it all over your keyboard. It's guaranteed. It has happened to me, it happened to my mom, it's happened to everyone. You will knock over your cup of coffee every single time. So it happened to her and now her laptop. She was all worried about it, and I told her, I said, you know, turn it off, air it out, put it upside down, let everything kind of come out of it. And everything's working according to my brother who went over to troubleshoot, but the touch pad is shot. And so he told me he disabled the touchpad and plugged in an external mouse and voila, it works again. So I said, you should be hosting this show. I mean, why not anyway, justin thanks for doing that. And just remember if you have a coffee cup near your computer, I always put it like just outside. Like I look where my hands move when I go near the laptop keyboard, and I put my coffee cup away like outside of that range, because you will knock it over if it's inside that range. All right, Joining me now, Antonio, Uh, this is a Business Insiders Tech and Electronics Senior reporter Antonio villis Boas.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He's going to talk about comparing Mint mobile and Tello Mobile.
Speaker 2: Antonio, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Hey Rich, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: By the way, I gotta say, I love Business Insider great publication. I remember, I'm trying to remember what the name was it like Silicon Alley Insider or something.
Speaker 2: What was it called before Business Insider?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Chilly com Alley Inside or something like that. Yeah, right, that was like then I switched over, then I switched again to Insider, and then back to back the Business Insider.
Speaker 1: Anyway, but you know, yeah, I like what you guys do there. So let's talk about what made you compare these two carriers? What was your thought on what why why compare these two?
Speaker 13: Well, you know, I think there's a lot of value and in checking out you know, cheaper, less expensive options for everyone. And there's also value in sort of showing people or revealings that the people a carrier that they may not know that much about, like Tello for example. I think Mint has some pretty good visibility out there, you know a lot of publicity and marketing, you know, with Ryan Reynolds on board and et cetera. So you know a lot of people think about Mint, but you know, maybe for some people just maybe another carrier has you know, a better option.
Speaker 1: So with Mint Mobile and Tellomobile. So most people are on these big, giant, unlimited plans that are pricey from the main carriers, right, which is fine if you're you know, business person whatever, you need all that hot spot and stuff, but sometimes you don't need as much data.
Speaker 2: Do people use as much data as they think?
Speaker 13: I think, you know, that's going to depend for everybody, man. I mean it's so you know, there's so many variables. But I think a lot of people might be surprised they think they need this big unlimited plan, and you might be you know, check out your bill and you'll be surprised by kind of how little data you use. I use, you know, let's say I think they used last I checked, twelve gigabytes. I mean, you know, to be fair, I'm not commuting in every day, so I'm not you know, on my phone, you know, during rush hour or whatever. But still check out your bill and see how much you actually use.
Speaker 2: And I think, but it's.
Speaker 13: Good to have. I think people feel a safety net with the unlimited plans. You know, you kind of get a buffer, you kind of get this feeling you're not going to get paid over overages if you go over your data limited and that kind of thing. So I think that's why a lot of people go towards those unlimited plans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just paying more every month for that privilege. So yeah, now okay, So so give me kind of the skinny on Mint and Tello, Like, what what do these offer that the big guys might not.
Speaker 13: I mean, at the end of the day, at lower prices, you know, to put it very simply, they they have sort of various sort of limited plans, I should say very limited. They're they're sort of they let you pick how much data you you know, you want on to how much according to how much you think you're used. So that's basically, you know, the skinny on Mint and Tello.
Speaker 1: So what I like about Tello is that what I like about Mint is, you know, obviously they're own by T Mobile now, so that's a bit of a change. But I like that it's very simple, it works, it's on T mobiles network. The pricing plans are pretty easy to understand. Obviously if you appreciate their marketing. It's kind of fun. You feel like you're on board with like a kind of a challenger in the space.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: What I like about Tello is that they let you customize your plan, So talk about that a little bit. You can have like a plan that literally has no data and just has like calling and texting, right, yeah, you.
Speaker 13: Saw that, right. I love this about Tello. It's really unique in the space. I can't say I've seen it from other carriers, but yeah, it's called the bill your own Plan, And yeah, you can actually get a plan with no data and you know between one hundred I think one hundred five hundred unlimited minutes that kind of thing. A voice man that is literally voice calls, which is funny because we haven't seen a limit on voice calls in a while, right, right, so right, yeah, so but you know you can customize that, like, you know, I don't make that many calls and then maybe I use a giga data a month or whatever. I really don't use that much. So okay, I'll do that. I'm going to do a plan with one giga data. I'm gonna do a plan and I'm gonna put one hundred voice minutes in there, and you can literally pay. You know, it's incredible to think about a single digit phone bill, you know, nine dollars per month, which is wild to think about today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you have let's say you have like a loved one that you are. You know, maybe they're they just stay at home, they're on Wi Fi all the time. You have an old iPhone or whatever. You can give them a plan for like seven bucks a month and then you know they're using just Wi Fi in the house for the data and then they can call and text you, you know, if they want to, and yeah, it kind of be a landline. Yeah exactly. So how did you test out these services? What did you do and what was your findings.
Speaker 13: I mean, I kind of use them as my own, like my own services for a while. I did not pour my number that is, you know, maybe we'll get into that later, but you know, I use them as my own. I take them out for.
Speaker 2: A week or two.
Speaker 13: Mostly around the two weeks period, I do speed tests at various locations, you know, in town, out more on the Boonie, somewhere closer to the city, in the city just and you know, I can do the official like speed test, and then I just do stuff that everyone else does, like you know, scrolling through Instagram or streaming YouTube video and music or that kind of thing, making phone calls, sending texts, so really just using it kind of like how I think anyone else.
Speaker 1: Is and what were your conclusions? What conclusions did you come to? Should people switch to these things?
Speaker 13: Well, there that is a question, rich, So you know, there can be a lot of merit or a lot of good reasons to go to Man and Tello. There's a lot of reasons to stick to a major carrier too, like T Mobile or Verizon or whoever, or AT and T. But yeah, there's like, you know, there's what's the biggest downside. What's the biggest downside of switching to something like this? So we know the upside is you save a lot of money, right.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the that's the upside.
Speaker 13: So okay, you can depend for some people for example, like you know, on a major carrier T Mobile or Rizon, AT and T, you get a lot more hot spot data usually, right, people value that, And that's actually a way that carriers make a lot of their money is hotspot data. And another upside of going with you know, sticking with the major carriers is smart watch and tablet connectivity, isn't it?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Right, so yeah, meant and Tello, I don't believe have a lot of options if any last time I checked for smart watch or tablets.
Speaker 2: Now that's if you have.
Speaker 1: Just just to be clear, that's if you have a cellular watch, right, so you're your regular Apple watch, if it's just connected to your phone, it will work as it typically does. But this is for someone who has a cellular watch like myself that wants to go on a run without their phone and have their texts and calls still come through and data. So that's the difference there. A lot of these mv and o's do not have that. I think the only one I know that does is is Visible allows and they actually include that in their top in their main plan. Okay, so you have to think about that. What about international data international plans?
Speaker 13: Yes, some major carriers or most major carriers have some pretty decent you know, international sort of features.
Speaker 2: Usually almost every every carrier.
Speaker 13: Has something from Mexico and Canada, like there's something there you can talk, you can call there and call back texts and that kind of thing. It's usually okay, but you know, and Minton Tello actually have pretty good international open Actually sorry I should say Mints does really.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, they have sort of three set.
Speaker 13: Plans for varying amounts of days and data data and calls and texts and it's actually pretty good value. And I was looking at it myself and I was like, maybe for my next chip, this is kind of a good thing. Tello has options too. It's kind of like a flat rate depending on which country you visit, but it can cost the value is not there. That's just saying.
Speaker 1: Interesting there, so that's not good if you travel a lot. And finally, customer service, because that's another thing. People like to be able to walk into a store and get help if they need it, you know, with Verizon, T Mobile, AT and T with these two carriers, now Mint, I'm not sure with their you know, can you walk into a T Mobile store? I don't know because I know they're owned by them now, but I don't think that's the case. But you have to kind of you're on your own, right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's kind Yeah, that's a good question about Mint and whether you can just go head into a T Mobile store. But yeah, that's that's one of the huge things about major retailers or major carriers, sorry, is that you can go to a physical store. It's kind of like why I really like, you know, Apple iPhones, even for someone who might like really like Android phones, there's something about having a physical store to go to if you have a problem. That's just so, you know, really reassuring and good to have. But yeah, no, I mean in terms of support. Actually, you know, Minton Tello have a pretty decent little system going on. You know, they have pretty good apps. Mint has a very good app, i should say. And you can get in touch with someone on the phone pretty easily, which I've tried myself. You can do a little chat service so you can talk to someone pretty quickly, and actually it's easier. I found it easier to get in touch with an actual person on Minton Tello than it was through you know, Verizon, which is what I'm currently using for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's getting tougher and tougher on the on the traditional carriers to reach someone in person, which is kind of funny. Antonio, We're gonna leave it there, Antonio villis Boas, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Rich Tech an electronics senior reporter at Business Insider. I'll put a link to his article comparing Mint Mobile and Tello Mobile on the website. Rich on tech dot TV eight a eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich on Tech, more of your calls, and a lot more Right after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro. Here lots of feedback on the caller who was blind and needed some help with transferring documents. Let's see Melody says in your show, you were contacted by a caller who was trying to get info off a CD didn't have a disk drive. Refer her to local Council for the to her local Council for the Blind, and they would help her resolve her problem. They have multiple resources for her to tap into. There you go, Counsel for the Blind.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Teresa says, you can have her reach out to the Braille Institute in Santa Barbara. They have very significant resources in the tech world for blind people these days. There you go, thanks Teresa. Yeah, I mean that's that's kind of what I was getting at. It has to be some sort of community help because you know, I don't You're not going to buy a new computer just to do this.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta lean on someone.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Did we just play that?
Speaker 4: Did you play?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's how I said that. That was definitely lean on me. See, this is how the brain works. I look like I wouldn't have said those words.
Speaker 1: Oh man, okay, Uh let's see Rich Randy said, I wonder what took you so long? And using these echoes. I have seven of them scattered all over the house. I have several groups depending on how I want to spread the content and where I have them in sync. I'm sure you give them different names like I do, so they respond to my command when I'm speaking to another. I get clear sound even on the older models, but I do know the premium ones are more vibrant, which I do not have. Uh yeah, I'm wondering whether you bought the more expensive or the very basic. I'm buying them all. So I've got they've got like three different levels. They've got like the tiny little dots, then and they've got the Echo. Then they've got the Echo Premium, and they've got that one giant soundbar or sound whatever you call it.
Speaker 2: It's like two hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna eventually get them all, but I'm doing it, you know, I do things slow, so I'm getting like one every week. Thanks for that, Randy. Let's go to John in more Park. John, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Hi, Rich, Hi, thank you for taking my call. I have I've had for seventeen years. I've had an iPhone through AT and t okay, and I've just turned eighty one. And I was thinking that in case I fall in the shower, I was thinking it might be an idea to get some kind of device to protect me. Yeah, I was thinking whether a choice between an Apple walch versus a metal alert watch. Apparently the two compete.
Speaker 11: With each other.
Speaker 12: One goes through the Apple system, the other goes through the Metal Alert system. Do you have an opinion as to, uh, which is a better viable choice?
Speaker 1: So the meta alert is that the brand name med alerts.
Speaker 12: A brand name. Okay, yeah, you're about ten different brands out there. Met Alert, I think, is the one that's talented. Okay, you're so Valley More Park Area. But they're all more or less competitive.
Speaker 1: So my my thought on this is if you want something that's simple and dedicated and doesn't really now how much. See here's the thing. This meta alert watch is about three hundred and fifty bucks. How much is the plan?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: After the first year?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the first year is included the four G so that's good. After the first year, you have to renew for twelve months at seventy five dollars.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good deal.
Speaker 1: So my thought is that if you just want something simple and easy and you don't want to have to deal with the whole connection to the Apple iPhone and all that stuff, I would say that this meta alert looks pretty good. If you want all the extra features that you get with an iPhone and an Apple Watch, then maybe go with the Apple Watch. The battery life, let's see, so the battery life, how long is the battery on this thing?
Speaker 2: Oh, up to one hundred hours. That's like four days. Let's see.
Speaker 12: Well, I already I already have an iPhone. I've had an iPhone for seventeen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I assume I just.
Speaker 12: Buy on my Apple Watch. How much does an Apple Watch? The extra got to cost me.
Speaker 2: About three hundred bucks. But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: So with the fall detection on the Apple Watch, if you want it to work everywhere you are and anywhere you are, even if your phone is not nearby, you have to get a cellular Apple Watch, which is a little bit more, and then you have to pay ten bucks usually ten to twenty dollars a month for that cellular.
Speaker 12: So you have to pay extra for a cellular Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: If okay, so let's just say you're in the shower, your iPhone, your you have the Apple Watch on, and the iPhone is nearby within range of the Apple Watch. If you fell in that shower, your Apple Watch would still communicate via bluetooth to your phone and say, okay, let's call nine one one.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would work.
Speaker 1: But if your phone was in a different room or it was too far away from your Apple Watch, it may not make that connection. And that's what I'm concerned about. So that's why when you have a cellular Apple Watch, if you're specifically using it for sort of the emergency services, that's what you want because it's it's gonna work no matter what. It's gonna work because it has its own connection two nine one one.
Speaker 12: It doesn't that that's what I want. I'll just go Can I go to the AT and D store and buy a cellular Apple Watch from them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, absolutely, and they'll they'll be happy to sell you that.
Speaker 12: Oh I don't care about three hundred and fifty dollars. That makes yeah difference to me.
Speaker 1: I can afford that now are you do you are you like, do you do any fitness stuff? Do you walk or any do you do you care about any of the fitness.
Speaker 12: Features W I had problems with my knees. Okay, I dive, but I don't do a lot of walking.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, look the Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: If you get an Apple Watch cellular, you set up the fall detection, it's going to do what you need to do, and if you ever took a fall, hard fall, it's going to dial nine one one. It's not perfect it you know, it's not one hundred percent, but you'll also be able to set it up where if you need emergency medical assistance, you can press the button on there five times fast and it will dial nine one one for you. You can alert your emergency contacts if you need that. It'll monitor your heart rate. If you know something goes high low there, you can it'll send you a notification. So the Apple Watch is going to be if you have an iPhone, you've had it for seventeen years, you're pretty familiar with this technology. I think that yeah, I think maybe you just go with the Apple Watch, and I think you'll find some other benefits to the Apple Watch as well that you probably wouldn't get from the metal alert device.
Speaker 12: And and I assume the AT and T score, which set it all up for me ring the phone.
Speaker 5: And oh yeah, I can stay here.
Speaker 1: They'll they'll take that right, Yeah, they'll take that extra step with you. Yeah, go to the AT and T store, get the watch, and good thinking. I always wonder about that. You know, you're in the shower. In Europe, they've got these like pull strings you can pull that'll file for help.
Speaker 2: What would you do if you're alone? You just gotta lay there until someone finds you.
Speaker 1: Ugh eighty eight Rich one on one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you for another hour talking technology at eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. So much to get to this hour. We've got the feedback at the end of the show, so we'll read your emails that you've sent throughout the week about last week's show. We've got the TV answer man in the house, Philip Swan is gonna help us select the ideal sports streaming service.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Because it is the season again, you're gonna gonna spend a lot of time watching football on TV. Well, I don't know my house we are. It's only because my kid is into it. I told you I was never into sports until my kid became. He put me into into basketball and football. I mean yes, throughout college I went to all the football games, but I was never like a you know, big fan. Now I'm like, I know all these teams and all these players. Anyway, it is kind of fun. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We got the website rich on tech dot TV. If you want to email me, get your comments in there. Go to the website hit contact. If you want to read or get a link to something I mentioned on the show, go to the website hit the light bulb, and uh. Also sign up for my newsletter while you're there, so you pop your email address in and you get my newsletter, which is expertly crafted every week by me.
Speaker 2: Spend a lot of time on this thing.
Speaker 1: It's basically like this show, but you know, just helpful hints and tips and tricks and all kinds of stuff. So here in this week, by the way, there's over thirty thousand of you that get the newsletter, so thank you for signing up for that growing every week.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Let's see, so this week I've got some recommendations for new Bluetooth audio gear, how to use travel rewards points. I tell you how to find the hidden game and the Chrome web browser on your phone. How you can upload your music to your phone for free. Let's see, how to clear out storage on your phone for free, and duplicate photos on the iPhone.
Speaker 2: Oh this was interesting.
Speaker 1: So this week was my birthday and a bunch of people called me. No one was able to leave a message, apparently because my voicemail was full, and I didn't realize this until someone told me, and I ended up clearing out the voicemail. I had all these voicemails saved on my phone for safekeeping, and what were they? All the old birthday wishes I had from over the years. So I went I started going through these. I have them from my guyshold as like twenty eighteen or something. So anyway, I go through the steps on how to back up all of those voicemails, get them off your voicemail server to free them up and have him for safekeeping forever. Then I talk about some deals Amazon Prime for students six month free trial, the stretching app that I'm absolutely loving right now, and then some other deals and things that I talk about. The you shamnis. So anyway, Rich on tech dot tv, just pop your email address in. I don't know if it says subscribe or whatever it says. Just pop your email address in. You'll get that newsletter every week for free. Thanks for doing that. We got an email from Mary. She said, Hey, Rich, we're big fans. I get the newsletter and I listen to you every Saturday. I hate to be a Karen, But the caller who called in because he wasn't getting alerted to his text while driving, is it really a good thing to be texting and driving? It is illegal, right? I agree, Mary, Yes you should not be texting and driving. But here's the deal. He wanted to be alerted when he got a text, and so yes, that would lead me to believe that he wants to hear that text or somehow interact with the text.
Speaker 2: Now, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that these the safest thing with your phone is to not be using it at all while you're driving. The reality is people do use their phones in safe ways, which is CarPlay, Android Auto using your voice. But I think that any level of using your phone in the car is distracting. And I even find myself I have my phone set to do not disturb while driving, and I have all notifications sort of turned off, so I don't even get tempted by them because here in La, I don't know about your town. But what happens is not only do I see everyone on their phone while they're driving, which it is illegal, but when people come to a stop light, what do they do? They pull out their phone and then you get that person at the stop light that's on their phone. The light changes green and they just stopped there. And nine times out of ten, what are they doing. They're just checking their Instagram, their social media. Please be safe, And you're also distracted when you're doing that, you know you're not focusing on the task at hand. And I'll be honest, I'm guilty of this myself sometimes where I just want to, you know, look at my phone or see what's happening right, see notification come through on my screen. It lights up, and I really have to fight the urge, and I say, I don't need to do that.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: I need to focus on driving, keeping myself alive, keeping the people around me alive, not crashing.
Speaker 2: And it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: Our phones are very, very distracting in every aspect of our lives. You're working, you're trying to write something, you're trying to do something. So you get that notification. Next thing you know, you're you're off and you check that notification, and all of a sudden you start checking other things on your phone.
Speaker 2: We all do it.
Speaker 1: Let's go to uh Lonnie in Riverside, Lonnie, you're on with rich.
Speaker 2: Hello, Lonnie? Are you there? Did I do?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 2: There you are? You're on, You're live on.
Speaker 4: Get a little static in there. I have an issue. I have I fourteen and I use that phone quat for my driving for the Google Maps. In the last couple of weeks, if not keeping up the date, keeping up to where I'm I my location, and it keeps paying proceed to root, proceed to root. And it just happened boom one day I started doing that.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's sun.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you somehow either your phone either stopped giving it access to the GPS and that that's my initial thoughts. So there's a couple of things you can do. First off, you can go to your Yeah, this is Google Maps on your iPhone, you.
Speaker 4: Said, right, I mean it's the issue of tucted maps. But it's my phone.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's your phone. I think, well, have you tried to Have you tried Apple Maps? Does that work?
Speaker 4: I haven't?
Speaker 1: Okay, So first thing I would do just make sure the GPS is actually working on your phone. So type in maps on your phone. You should have Apple Maps there. And you know the thing with any mapping program. So there's a couple of things that happen. Number one, your phone could get out of sync with the GPS if it doesn't have a clear signal. Sometimes it could be laggy. Like when I was in New York City. I'm not kidding. I was walking and my phone could not get a lock on the GPS. I'd never had that happen before, and I said, what the heck is going on here? And my friend that I was walking with, he's like, oh, I've got a Samsung, let me try it online. And he was like cause he kept like saying, Rich, what's going on? You can't like, you can't follow maps on your phone. I said, I've never had this problem in my life. I go, I feel like we're in a magnetic like black hole here, because it's just my phone will not work. And so he took out his phone seriously, and within three minutes he was like, Rich, I can't get my maps either, Like I don't know what's going on anyway, So that could happen. Now, it depends you're in Riverside. You know, you're in a car, you got wide open spaces. It's you know, that's probably not the issue. But the thing is you can tap if you ever need to do this, you can tap on the blue dot on Google Maps and that will help your phone get a lock on GPS. And sometimes it might say, hey, can you do a figure eight with your phone, and that will help your phone figure out where the GPS is and get a better lock on the satellite signals. So that's number one. Number two. When you're on your map, sometimes you get turned around or you turn off that little icon that says follow me, and that is the icon in the right side.
Speaker 2: Of your phone.
Speaker 1: It looks like an arrow icon, and so if you tap that, if you toggle it, that should also help you get a lock on where your directions are and where you're heading, and sometimes it'll bring you back to like where you are and that will recenter everything. The third thing to check is inside your settings. So if you go into settings and then go scroll all the way down until you see Google Maps, and I'm doing this as we speak, and inside Google Maps there is location access, and mine says the options are never, ask next time or when I share while using the app, or always, And then there's a further option that says precise location. What you want this to say is while using the app and precise location. And so if you want, you know, I want Google Maps to always have access to your location, even in the background, to get like real time traffic updates and stuff, then I would select always. But for me, I just need Maps to work when I'm actually using the app, So select while using the app and precise location. Now, Lannie, if all of those things are selected on your phone and Maps is still not working, what I would do is delete the Maps app from your phone, restart your phone, reinstall it, and that should take.
Speaker 2: Care of it.
Speaker 1: But those are the things that I would do to make sure it's working. But there's no reason why Google Maps would not be working on your phone unless the GPS has burned out on your phone. But I think you'll be able to figure that out pretty quickly when you open up Yeah point, but start, yes, very much. Start by checking that Apple Maps. Make sure that works. And who knows, maybe when you open Apple Maps you'll say, oh, I'm in love with this, I'll just switch to Apple Maps.
Speaker 2: That's what Apple wants you to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know people literally that think they're using Google Maps and they're actually using Apple Maps. Because you know, how do you know that? Unless you're like a tech person, you really don't most of the time. Samsung and LG News this week for their smart TV Samsung promised five years of updates for their web os. They're celebrating let's see ten years of webOS. That's their kind of like smart TV system. They're doing a whole bunch of discounts and things on their smart TVs from twenty eighteen and up. Apple Tv three months free trial, Apple Music three months free trial paramount plus fifty percent off an annual subscription. That's a pretty good deal. Crunchy Roll thirty days free trial. webOS will give new TVs five years of updates. Not to be outdone, Samsung comes along and says, you know what, We'll take your five years and we'll raise you. We'll do seven years of updates. So now now we have these smart TV wars because people use their their TV for the smarts. They download the apps instead of getting like a third party Roku or Fire TV stick or Apple TV, they just use what's built in.
Speaker 2: I just switched to mine.
Speaker 1: I've got the high sense, and I just switched to the Google TV built in.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's a whole nother discussion of whether to use the built in or the third party. But anyway, Samsung says they're trying to fend off these Chinese manufacturers, the tcls of the world in the high sense because people are switching to them. And so now they're giving seven years of their ties in operating system updates. What they used to do is just do a couple of years of updates for their security updates. Now they're actually going to upgrade that entire operating system, the one that powers the smart TVs, because they know that people are using their TVs for a long time and they're using that TV software and they want to compete against the likes of Roku and also Google TV, and also Apple TV and what's the other one, Amazon. So it's a lot of stuff, a lot of a lot of things happening here. Anyway, it's a good thing for consumers. We're getting more updates for our gadgets for long. It's a good thing because we're keeping them longer. Eight a eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Wait, vinyl sales are up. I'll tell you why. Coming up here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show richon Tech dot TV. If you want to get your your question in your email rich on Tech dot tv, hit contact. If you want to link to something I mentioned, just hit the light bulb icon. This is show number eighty seven. You've got all the notes there. And uh if you want to sign up for the newsletter, you can do that as well.
Speaker 2: Uh ooh see, this is the thing.
Speaker 1: I think I take good notes until I get an email like this from Zach. You mentioned you had a good stretching app. I'm signed up to rich on Tech and I can't find it anywhere. Uh, you gotta tap when you go to the website, the main page, it is today's newsletter. It says clear phone space, fast and save your voicemails. So you can go in there and then just search for stretch.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Let's well, I didn't know. Did I not put it in there?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: I thought it did. Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's called Bend the Bend. Let's see what the app. Get bend dot co. Get Bend dot Co. I paid for the year, so I've been I've been telling my wife every day. I'm like, you got to get this app. You got to get this app. It's so great. I love it. It's very simple. But if you're trying to stretch more like I am. You know, I'm getting older. I got older this week. You gotta stretch like Yet, here's the thing that only happens when you get older. You move a certain way and next thing you know, you've got a crick in your neck. You're like, like, one time, I'm not kidding, Bobo. You remember this.
Speaker 2: Remember when I came in here and Bobo looked at me and goes, rich, what's what's wrong?
Speaker 10: Yep?
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, I pulled my back, Like I just moved wrong and I pulled my back.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had this happen? Yeah, you're too young. Oh no, I've had it happen.
Speaker 11: I've had it up.
Speaker 2: My knee is my thing. My knee is what goes out on me. I will literally just be sitting there and go to stand up and my knee is buckles.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, that's that's just weird. It's like the things that don't happen when you're a kid.
Speaker 2: And then everybody you're going to the gym too much.
Speaker 1: It has nothing to do with the gym, Yeah, because it's not even on a leg day when it happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it buckles on the leg day, I get it. You're like, Okay, I've done too much exactly. Let's go to Patty and Van Eyes. Patty, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 14: Hi.
Speaker 8: Nice listening to your show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 14: I was wondering how I can get some original music off of my parents old two thousand and two Gateway computer.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Gateway.
Speaker 1: I loved my Gateway computer growing up. Remember, I don't know if you remember this, Patty on ho how old you are? But they They used to have this the cow spots. That was like their big thing.
Speaker 14: That's what it has.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I love Gateway Ted. Wait, Oh my gosh. I used to wait for the my PC World magazine to come in the mail. This is how old it was. I told you I was getting older. I used to wait for that magazine. In the middle of the magazine, they must have bought out all the pages. It was so thick you could put you can like, move right to it. What horse, Yes, I used to yeah, the mail. The male person used to come by horse and drop it off of my house, horse and buggy, and it was just, oh my gosh. I used to flip right to that page that the center of the magazine, and they had all these ads for Gateway two thousand.
Speaker 2: Anyway, go ahead, Patty, what's your question?
Speaker 9: And so so I have.
Speaker 14: Original music on there that I want to get off. But the computer, because they didn't listen to me, is infected with a trojan horse. When you turn the computer on, it says it'll clear it, So it clears it and then I can listen to the music. But I want to I just want to get it off there and transfer it and I wonder does that mean that I would be transferring that Trojan horse to whatever I put the music on.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Maybe it depends how you know, how far that virus is around that come. I yeah, I would definitely be be careful. I think what you can do is probably boot this computer into a into safe mode.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of that?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 12: Huh?
Speaker 1: And you know, first off, well, this computer is not connected to the internet, is it Okay? So I would just boot it into safe mode and then transfer the files that way, and then once you get them on the new computer, I would maybe transfer one and you know, maybe run like a virus check on it, and then you know, see where, see where it's at, see if it comes up with anything. And then if it doesn't, you know, I would transfer them all to a flask drive and that should be good. The thing is, if you're if you're only like transferring these files like these, uh you know, like the main like are they m P three's or.
Speaker 14: What I think they're m P three's, it's not a a system called fat.
Speaker 8: Noise P H A T.
Speaker 1: I don't know your parents sound cool, I don't know. That's if they're they got something fat with a pH then they're cool. So uh but yeah, I would I would just transfer just the MP three's and once you get them, you know, onto a flash drive, I would scan that flash drive with the new with the other computer and see if anything comes up on the virus checker, and then if not, you know, you should be okay. But I would also maybe just drag them into the cloud. And I think your cloud storage, I mean, it's probably the virus is probably not gonna be attached to these files unless it's in the file and it's inexecutable. So I think you're probably gonna be okay. But I would take those steps I mentioned. Thanks for the question, Patty. Coming up, we're gonna help you choose the best streaming service for sports. Right after this, welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. There you can get in touch, look at the links that I mentioned and all kinds of stuff. It's all on the website right there. Tom Hanks has a warning about a generated video ads. He took to his Instagram to say, if you saw some videos promoting miracle cures and wonder drugs. It's not me, And he said that he has nothing to do with these ads or the products they're promoting. He did say, and I did not know this, that he has type two diabetes and works with his doctor for treatment. He does not use all these things that they were talking about in these ads. So he urged folks not to be fooled or swindled and not to lose their money on these fake products. It's not the first time he's done this. In October, he warned about an AI generated video promoting a dental plan. Man, AI, I'm telling you this idea of misinformation thanks to AI is going to get worse and worse. I will tell you I have the AI image generation on the pixel phone. It is absolutely incredible, Like you can generate any picture. Well it's not perfect, but it's really really good. And when we get to a level of video with this stuff, it's going to be like really tough to tell the difference. So when something seems too good to be true, this is whereas humans we still have to go to that. You know that age old adage, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. If someone's sending you an email, saying, Hey, give me fifty grand, or give me ten grand so I can send you fifty, or let me send you fifty so I can set whatever. However that scam works, it's a scam. Don't fall for it. Just in time for football season, Apple Sports is updating their iPhone app.
Speaker 2: So this app launched. I don't if it was earlier this year.
Speaker 10: I guess.
Speaker 1: It's a very simple app for the iPhone provides real time scores, stats, and more for various sports. They are adding new features in time for NFL and college football. Enhanced play by play with quick access to scoring drives, a dynamic drive tracker so you can see where the ball is on the field. You can follow the top twenty five college football teams, real time score stats, and live betting odds.
Speaker 2: And this is a moment of contention.
Speaker 1: Not everyone likes the betting odds inside this app, so you can turn those off if you want. All right, looks like our guest is here joining me now? Is let's see Hold on, I gotta mute some stuff here because I am Let's see there we go. Joining me now is the TV answer man Philip Swan. Welcome to the show, Philip How are you. I'm doing fantastic.
Speaker 11: I was back to your call, but don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to call our guests and now we just kind of use Google Meet because it's easier. So thanks for joining me no matter what. So I ended up selecting my sports streaming service before I spoke to you. I hope I made the right decision. So for us, first off, let's talk about this idea of the streaming. How where do we stand, Like, you know, the games, they're kind of everywhere nowadays.
Speaker 10: They are, I mean, sports streaming right now is so byzantine busit team being basically or split in so many different ways. It's really hard for people to follow it figure out what's on what service and when, and how much it cost and how long.
Speaker 11: You should keep these services. So it's a very confusing time for a lot of folks.
Speaker 1: And it's so confusing that I mentioned and I'm sure you saw this obviously. ESPN this week came out with their you know where to watch service, which is great, and then you also have Fubo has one, and then you know, there's a lot of different places you can try to see where the game is on. But it still doesn't get around the fact of all of these blackouts and you can't necessarily watch every single game, and some services have it if it's not on the local channel in your area. I mean, it's really Is there anything more confusing than finding your sports game on streaming or you know, rock Cable?
Speaker 11: Probably not.
Speaker 10: You know, we've had blackouts for a long time, so that's not terribly new. But what is new is that exclusive rights to a lot of these games now. By example, the first week of the Packards and Eagles on Friday only on Peacock, not even NBC, So you have to get Peacock. Peacock doesn't have a free trial, so you're going to have to subscribe for at least a month just to watch that one single game if it's important to you. So that's the kind of thing that's going on.
Speaker 11: Then a lot of people very frustrated.
Speaker 10: Did you have to get at least a one month subscription to something just to watch a single game?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I remember last year the Chiefs game was on Peacock and I think it was exclusive.
Speaker 2: And my wife, you know, she was a big.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift fan of course, traveled over to Kelsey and so I was like, wait, you're telling me that this game is on Peacock by like by itself, like it's nowhere else, And she's like, yeah, I think it is. I said, there's no way, and sure enough, I think that's what's happening.
Speaker 11: One hundred and.
Speaker 10: Ten million dollars for the rights of that game. And obviously they weren't going to give it away easily.
Speaker 1: No, And then you know Netflix has games, this year's Prime Video has games. I mean, it's really all over the play So what do you think is the best service? How do we pick the service to subscribe to for these games? Like, you can't just go with like YouTube or direct TV or Fubo and get all of them.
Speaker 11: Huh No, you can't.
Speaker 10: And you know, you really couldn't do this before either you couldn't get a single cable service or satellite service.
Speaker 11: It would necessarily get you every single game.
Speaker 10: To get every single game, you'd have to, by example, in the old days, get Direct TV in the Sunday ticket and pay a lot of money to do it. So this is kind of a version of that that you have to still spend a lot of money to if you really want everything. But basically you got to kind of break this down in two different ways. You have national sports and regional sports. And if you're looking basically for national sports, which would be ESPN, you know, FS ONE, Fox, CBS, whatever, you can get pretty much all of that from YouTube, TV, Direct TVs stream or a cable or satellite service.
Speaker 11: But if you're looking for regional sports, or you're looking for that exclusive game on Peacock or ESPN plus, that's when it gets complicated and can get expensive.
Speaker 10: And by example, right now, I always say when people ask me, what's the one sports service or one service streaming service? You get to get all sports? And I normally say direct TV stream because they have all the national sports networks and they have almost every regional sports network. But guess what might happen tomorrow? What they might go blackout on the Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: Right because that was the thing with Fubo. I was looking at Fubo yesterday. They don't have any of the Warner channels like Food Network. Not that I want to watch that, but my wife. If we're paying eighty bucks a month for cable, my wife might be like, oh cool and I can watch the Food Network.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, actually, you can't.
Speaker 10: Yeah, if you have Fubo, you're gonna have to get Max or you're gonna have to get some other service that has the Turner Networks TV may lose ESPN and all the Disney channels. And so if that occurs, I won't be saying to people anymore, Hey, get direct TV stream if you're just interested in national and regional sports.
Speaker 2: Now, how do you know if you need Sunday ticket that?
Speaker 13: If you?
Speaker 1: If you, is it one of those things where like you know when you see it, like you just you figure it out. Like if you're if you're living in Los Angeles and you want to follow the Jets, is that when you have to have the Sunday ticket.
Speaker 11: Yes, I've said this for years.
Speaker 10: A Sunday ticket is basically set up for the guy or a girl who lives in Chicago and was a Dolphins fan and got transplanted for a job or whatever, and they boy, they miss their Dolphins and if they get the Sunday ticket, they're gonna get it.
Speaker 11: They're gonna get that game.
Speaker 10: There's also, of course, an element for fantasy players and gamblers who just simply want to watch a number of games because they want to follow how their players do, either through uh parlays or their.
Speaker 11: Fancy football teams. And that's a big thing for Sunday tickets, a big thing for those folks. So but those are kind of the audiences where the Sunday ticket works best.
Speaker 1: And finally, you know, I saw the the only league that I know of that's done this is MLS. You know, Apple bought the rights to that and they did what I've wanted every league to do, which is you buy that you know package from Apple, and you get every single game. There are no more blockouts. That's just not a thing on that service. If you've subscribed, you get everything. Will that ever happen with the major leagues like the NBA and NFL and you know, I don't know what else whatever else there is out there.
Speaker 10: It's what Rob Bamford is really pushing forward Major League Baseball.
Speaker 11: He if he got his Christmas wish this year, it'll be the Diamond Sports.
Speaker 10: The owner of the Valley Sports Networks goes bankrupt and stays bank well they've already gone bankrupt, but they stay bankrupt, and they turned the rights over to the MLB team that they have the rights too, and they turn them back to the league is man for it wants to put together a package that he would sell through MLB dot TV that would not have local blackouts, and you know, you obviously would have to pay for that luxury, but yeah, you would be able to do that.
Speaker 11: That's his wish.
Speaker 1: It would make life a whole lot simpler. And I think with you know, with the way that this world is going with all the streaming, there's so much money like still like there's like by the NFL and all these places selling off like a couple of games. They're still making a lot of money by doing that.
Speaker 2: Huh. And that's really what it comes down to.
Speaker 11: Yeah, sports continues to be the driver of your ship.
Speaker 10: It's the one thing that the network, since services, can guarantee will bring in a big audience. And consequently the leaks now they can charge incredible amount of money for the rights.
Speaker 1: Well it got me to subscribe to I ended up going with YouTube TV for various reasons after a lot of kind of thought. I think Fubo is a little bit better in LA when when you need the regionals like the if you want to watch like the Clippers and the sports net.
Speaker 2: You know, rich, what's that.
Speaker 11: Direct TV Stream has a Spectrum Sports net and the Lakers channel, so you can watch the Lakers and the Dodgers on string direct TV stream not on Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will tell you I did try direct TV stream last year and the only the only downside I had is that the app looks like it was created by people who are not necessarily like you know, like, it looked like, I don't know, like you know, how direct TV.
Speaker 2: It's just Direct TV.
Speaker 9: Like I.
Speaker 1: I think it's great with the coverage they have, but the app could be better, whereas Fubo and YouTube are very very high tech.
Speaker 10: I agree with you, it's clearly done by kind of the old school, and in part because they're trying to get direct TV satellite audience, which is obviously older to come over to TV stream and so they feel more comfortable with that old interface.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: There you have it all right. We're gonna leave it there, Phillip Swan, thanks so much for joining me. Tvanswerman dot com excellent, excellent website. Check it out Tvanswerman dot com. Coming up, we're gonna open up the feedbag o their worm scrolling out of that.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Rich on tech Rich DeMuro here with my all time favorite wedding song. If I'm not dancing when this comes on, oh, you best believe I'll be dancing, getting up out of that chair doing that little shuffle over the dance floor. You can't see what I'm doing, all right. Before we get to the feedbag, the US Armored Group, Yeah, Bobo can a modified lucid Air Sapphire the world's fastest armored vehicle.
Speaker 2: This is this is impressive.
Speaker 1: US Armor Group has created an armored version of the lucid Air Sapphire electric vehicle twelve and thirty four horsepower. I'll tell you the price at the end, world's fastest armored vehicle. Zero to sixteen under two seconds. Now, I will tell you I've been in the Lucid Air and I went zero to sixty and I think it was like two point five or two point nine seconds. It was unbelievable, Like I had a reaction like you would not believe. It was pretty wild. So zero to sixteen under two seconds.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Lightweight armor and ballistic windows adds only four hundred pounds to the original weight. Security features include bullet bulletproof glass capable of stopping a forty four magnum three hundred and sixty degree protection plus electric shock door handles and pepper spray dispensers.
Speaker 2: This is wild.
Speaker 1: The vehicle gets a four hundred mile range on a charge. They also have cybersecurity features protected Wi Fi threat scanning technology.
Speaker 2: Who's this car for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, high, high level executives and heads of state. So if you run a company you're making, you know, billions of dollars a year. This is what you're being charted around in lucid Air Sapphire by the US Armor Group. Whoa pretty cool? All right, let's open up the feedbag. These are the emails that you send me throughout the week. Chris from Madison Rights in I have reservations about storing my driver's license on a phone. Digital editing tools could be potentially used to alter the photo of information on a mobile license. While it's true that physical licenses can also be forged, why provide another potential tool for wrongdoing. I believe this digital option introduces unnecessary risks. What are your thoughts on the security of mobile driver's licenses? They're actually way more secure, Chris. I went through a whole briefing on these things, and they are way more secure than your actual physical license. The information never leaves your phone, and it's not exchanged with whoever's checking the license. It's actually pretty well done. So I actually think these are a great thing, and hopefully more statesp them and hopefully we can use them in more ways, like when you get pulled over. Not that you ever want to get pulled over, but if you ever do, be nice to be able to use that as your complete replacement. Gail writes in, thanks for discussing the recent massive hack on your Saturday broadcast. It motivated me to finally activate two factor authentication, starting with my bank account. I must admit the process was complicated, but the helpful staff at my credit union guided me through it. Now that I understand the setup, I feel prepared to implement the security measure on my other accounts. Your information really pushed me to take this important step in protecting my digital life. Will I be tuning into your next show? Definitely?
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Gail Mark from Saint Augustine writes in I found a great solution for my twenty twelve Macmini that wouldn't update to a newer Mac OS. I installed Chrome os Flex and now it runs like a Chromebook as fast as it ever did as a Mac. The software gets monthly updates with new features. I can connect my Android phone and the latest update even allows installation of Microsoft one Drive so I can open documents directly in Word or Excel. It's given new life to my old hardware. You should try it out.
Speaker 10: Rich.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your show. Thanks for the email.
Speaker 12: Mark.
Speaker 1: We have talked about chromos Flex. I will admit I have not personally installed it on a computer, but now that you tell me that, actually I will because I have an old Mac sitting around that I will test it out on the first time I did it or tried it was a little bit complicated because it was brand new.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Mark writes in with a follow up on Hawaiian Airlines Starlink Internet. I recently experienced Starlink on a Hawaiian Airlines flight and it's impressive. The service works gate to gate, unlike other airlines where you have to wait until you get airborne. They're rapidly expanding it to their entire fleet. It's exciting to see this high quality internet becoming more widely available on flights. Absolutely stand Word writes in, I'm not impressed with the Tesla cyber truck. In my opinion, Rivian trucks are much better looking and nicer overall. I'd love to learn more about their underlying structure and design. The Rivian has really caught my interest compared to Tesla. I think Rivian has given Tesla a run for their money. But the problem is those products are very, very expensive, and they need to bring the prices down.
Speaker 2: But I love the Rivian one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Daniel from Rutherford ten writes in, thanks for sharing the DNS ad block hack in your recent newsletter. These small but impactful tips really do make our lives better. I really appreciate you consistently providing such useful information. Well, Daniel, I really appreciate you reading the newsletter and getting that tip. Yes, I showed folks how you can block ads on your Android phone in about ten seconds, just by adding one simple little line of code to your phone, and that was in my newsletter. If you want to sign up, go to the website rich on tech dot TV. If you can believe it, I think that's going to do it for this episode of the show. Oh my gosh, you can find everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on Tech dot TV. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. You can go to the website for more information about me. Next week got a big one former Yahoo CEO Marissa Meyer. She is going to talk about her tech career. She started at Google, then went to become Yahoo's CEO, and now she's got a new startup. She's going to talk all about that. Looking forward to that conversation. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really appreciate you spending it right here with me. I did get all of your birthday messages. I have not responded to all of them just yet. Thank you, thank you, thank you.